Crysis 2 PC

6.7

1. Mar 23, 2011
    This is only a slightly above average shooter with barely above average graphics. Sure the graphic are great, if you only compare it to a console. Games like The Hunter and BF3, games that were designed with the PC in mind, clearly blow this game out of the water in the graphics department. Truly a shame, as that was one of Crysis' most redeeming features. You can see the influence inThis is only a slightly above average shooter with barely above average graphics. Sure the graphic are great, if you only compare it to a console. Games like The Hunter and BF3, games that were designed with the PC in mind, clearly blow this game out of the water in the graphics department. Truly a shame, as that was one of Crysis' most redeeming features. You can see the influence in other areas as well. Smaller maps, less players in multi player, cut prone feature. A lot of **** ended up getting cut or just tossed due to balancing around the console versions. It isn't that this is a really bad game or anything, just if you were expecting a sequel that took fps to a level like the original Crysis did, you will be disappoint. Expand
  2. Mar 23, 2011
    Crytek were the developer who always, like Valve, raised the bar. Disappointment came as a series of shocks: Shock 1 - this is a console port, and not a good one (mouse lag, lack of graphics options). Shock 2 - no gameplay innovation relative to Crysis (in fact regression). Shock 3 - weak, unengaging plot lacking in continuity (not Morgan's fault, blame the story's integration into theCrytek were the developer who always, like Valve, raised the bar. Disappointment came as a series of shocks: Shock 1 - this is a console port, and not a good one (mouse lag, lack of graphics options). Shock 2 - no gameplay innovation relative to Crysis (in fact regression). Shock 3 - weak, unengaging plot lacking in continuity (not Morgan's fault, blame the story's integration into the game). Crysis 2 isn't as good as Crysis, or Warhead. It's on a par with BLOPS or MW2 (slightly better gameplay, slightly worse plot and dramatic engagement with the player). It's a good game. But it's not the groundbreaking close-to-perfect 10 that we expect from this studio.â Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2011
    What this is: A standard tunnel run-and-gun FPS with some neat, albeit tired, gameplay mechanics and effects. Have the nice people at Crytek take your baby-hand to lead you down the road from point A to point B, point with auto-aim and press the "press-A-to-win" button. You've played this game a thousand times over -- it's a dumbed-down consolized bore. What this is not: A graphicalWhat this is: A standard tunnel run-and-gun FPS with some neat, albeit tired, gameplay mechanics and effects. Have the nice people at Crytek take your baby-hand to lead you down the road from point A to point B, point with auto-aim and press the "press-A-to-win" button. You've played this game a thousand times over -- it's a dumbed-down consolized bore. What this is not: A graphical boundry-pushing tour-de-force like its predessesor that offers an open world environment allowing you multiple avenues of completing a mission. To be clear, I played this game all the way through. It's not awful: just a disappointment that is not worth your time. Expand
  4. Mar 22, 2011
    Surprisingly, an above-average singleplayer experience. Unlike the first Crysis, which started out great as a semi-openworld jungle adventure and kicked off into a horrible ice-covered alien-shooter, Crysis 2 proves a very solid and non-linear FPS. The game switches over from tropical paradise to apocalyptic NYC, and while that might sound more constrained, there are still many choices toSurprisingly, an above-average singleplayer experience. Unlike the first Crysis, which started out great as a semi-openworld jungle adventure and kicked off into a horrible ice-covered alien-shooter, Crysis 2 proves a very solid and non-linear FPS. The game switches over from tropical paradise to apocalyptic NYC, and while that might sound more constrained, there are still many choices to be made on how to engage each situation. You can take your time and stealth past huge amount of enemies, or you can start a 5-minute firefight in the streets. The story (I won't spoil it), is also told in a much better manner. It's not groundbreaking, but it's better than the generic action-flick stuff we've getting recently.
    Technically, the game is, for the most part, much above the pack. The lighting and high-poly weapon models make an unrivaled realistic experience, and personally I find this game looks MUCH better than the blurry dark mess that is Killzone. Also, unlike many recent PC releases (DA2, Shogun 2) this game actually runs WELL, even under what people would consider "mid-range" hardware. It's about time game developers actually worried about optimization instead of just screenshot eye-candy. All that said, the game failed to "wow" me as much as the first Crysis did at launch, and in some cases I can still swear Crysis' jungle looks a little better. Maybe it's because of the huge sunset vistas in contrast to the towering (but somewhat plain) skyscrapers. Still, I can't fault the graphics here, they're great. The sound is also about average with modern FPS games, maybe slightly above.
    Where this game starts to fail a little is multi-player. Crytek stated they wanted to become a leading multiplayer title like Battlefield, CoD, or Halo, and apparently their method of choice was to make the multiplayer as much like Call of Duty as possible. It is a somewhat more interesting experience, what with scaling huge walls and smashing down from the sky, but the formula is almost exactly the same. Go off by yourself, run around, and hope you can see someone before they see you. I thought cloak would cause serious camping, but I was actually pleasantly surprised at how effective armor was in countering it. I might play it a little bit, but for the last 3 and a half years I've had my fill of CoD multiplayer. Seriously, it's nothing special.

So, is it worth your money? If you want an awesome-looking game to impress your friends, yeah. If you want a nice action-packed Sci-Fi story, yeah. If you're only looking for the next game-changing multiplayer experience, don't bother, I highly doubt this will do much to the industry at all.
  5. May 28, 2011
    I quite enjoyed the first Crysis! It was a visually delightful experience and it seemed well made. This is not true of the sequel. This is an obvious attempt to quickly port a console game to PC. The controls in the first were very obviously tuned to a mouse and keyboard, while the controls in the second have been forced from a controller. The story this time is so nonengaging that II quite enjoyed the first Crysis! It was a visually delightful experience and it seemed well made. This is not true of the sequel. This is an obvious attempt to quickly port a console game to PC. The controls in the first were very obviously tuned to a mouse and keyboard, while the controls in the second have been forced from a controller. The story this time is so nonengaging that I didn't even finish the game. I think I put about 7 or 8 hours in. There were a few moments where I was impressed, but overall it is just flat. Expand
  6. Apr 25, 2011
    Just enough here to disappoint, the Cryengine 3 makes a magnificent and much optimized return, people will actually be able to play this with real computers now, and while this change was obviously, at least in part, a concession to console gaming it is of great benefit to PC gamers as well. A shift to linear level design has allowed the devs to focus on polishing more set-pieces at fewerJust enough here to disappoint, the Cryengine 3 makes a magnificent and much optimized return, people will actually be able to play this with real computers now, and while this change was obviously, at least in part, a concession to console gaming it is of great benefit to PC gamers as well. A shift to linear level design has allowed the devs to focus on polishing more set-pieces at fewer points and this attention to detail shows. While Crysis 1 was grand but forgettable Crysis 2 has a number of moments which will be easily memorable by the time Crysis 3 is rolling out.

Game play is essentially just different, whether it is better or worse will boil down to matters of opinion.

The real let down is the story, anyone who caught the ad campaign knew this was a focus for Crytek this time out. The hiring of Richard Morgan as well as a stated focus on the human tragedy of a city-wide plague left some of us hopeful that Crytek might actually deliver a well rounded game for once. This has not been the case.

The characters are all completely forgettable, none of them are sympathetic or interesting, even the demi-villain inspires only vague apathy and distaste, when the desired result was so obviously intended to be utter revulsion and hatred. Plot points are delivered through endless exposition instead of game play, your character is endlessly incapacitated and rendered on the verge of death in cutscenes (to the point that it loses all impact), and, perhaps most damningly, despite its numerous intricacies and minutiae the whole of the plot could easily be summed up in a sentence and a half.

And then, inevitably, because the story doesn't gel everything else just sort of falls apart. You never really care about what you're doing so none of it is ever as entertaining as it could have been. Points for being gorgeous and for trying but this is still not t a good game.
  7. Apr 25, 2011
    Crysis 2 gameplay isn't nearly as action packed as the original title. Enemies are spread few and far between and dispute Crytek's claims the level design in Crysis 2 isn't anywhere as near open as its predecessor. Every map is filled with invisible gates which keep the player locked to a specified path. The player is provided with a few tunnels, i.e. subway gates, sewers, to navigateCrysis 2 gameplay isn't nearly as action packed as the original title. Enemies are spread few and far between and dispute Crytek's claims the level design in Crysis 2 isn't anywhere as near open as its predecessor. Every map is filled with invisible gates which keep the player locked to a specified path. The player is provided with a few tunnels, i.e. subway gates, sewers, to navigate around obstacles and I suppose that's what they mean by "non-linear". Graphically, there's stunning set pieces which will keep FPS fans happy, but the action is slowed down and paced for console gamers which gives evidence that the PC version is simple a port. Expand
  8. Apr 25, 2011
    The game is good. The single player was engaging, though had a terrible story and voice acting.
    However, multiplayer is where the focus is on the game- and also its biggest failing point. The spawn system is just awful. I spawned literally right in front of an enemy multiple times in a row. The gameplay is clunky and hardly anyone has a positive kill/death ratio in an average match. The stealth is just useless as anyone can pick you out, and the armor mode is the go-to mode. The shotguns are a bit too powerful, SMGs are overpowered, assault rifles dominate, LMGs grant to good of movement speed, and sniper rifles are terrible. Typical modern multiplayer game. It takes absolute ages to rank up, and it's just not satisfying, and generally not worth it past rank 15 or so.

(simply) Good singleplayer plus a terrible multiplayer = one wad of wasted cash.
  9. Apr 5, 2011
    The single player is great and I normally don't play campaign mode but this one is very good.
    The multi-player is just retarded! If you move you're dead, if you shoot someone you're dead, if you use the power module you are visible, so you're dead, if you use the camo/almost invisible thing it only last a few seconds then you're dead. it's the most frustrating multi-player I've ever seen. If you like dying allot this is the game for you. I give it a 5 for the single player. This company has the tools and the tech to make the most amazing multi-player game ever but what they made is a frustrating mess.
  10. Aug 31, 2012
    I haven't got a single thing to complain about the graphical side. Maybe the art direction was a bit bland, but damn, it's pretty. Controls are great.
    It's still a stepdown from glorious Crysis, taking away the freedom and replacing it for a more linear experience.
    Get it on a sale.
  11. Mar 31, 2011
    Disappointed in the graphics and the New York background is to close to reality where the original Crysis was on an Island where anything was possible. DX9 can still rip as the original showed. Dumbed down graphics to rush the game or because it's a port of the console games.
  12. Mar 31, 2011
    I totally agree with those ppl that gave this game an score of 5 points and the complains in those reviews. Crytek, seriously, if you wanted to release the game to consoles too,.. why the hell you didn`t do like Ubisoft and Ghost Recon advance Warfighter. one engine made specifically for the console versiona dn another for the PC version, even the games are different,..each one takingI totally agree with those ppl that gave this game an score of 5 points and the complains in those reviews. Crytek, seriously, if you wanted to release the game to consoles too,.. why the hell you didn`t do like Ubisoft and Ghost Recon advance Warfighter. one engine made specifically for the console versiona dn another for the PC version, even the games are different,..each one taking advantage for each system. Crysis 2 is not a bad game,is an excellent FPS if you just change the name,.. this is not the crysis i was expecting.. gimme back my money. Q_Q Expand
  13. Apr 1, 2011
    This is disappointingly another case of the console dumb down of a potentially great pc only sequel. The graphics, seemingly more detailed overall because of the vast increase in the number of useless objects on screen everywhere (a cheap trick to make your game not look so sparsely populated), are not very impressive where they need to be. Particularly with textures: in Crysis 1, theThis is disappointingly another case of the console dumb down of a potentially great pc only sequel. The graphics, seemingly more detailed overall because of the vast increase in the number of useless objects on screen everywhere (a cheap trick to make your game not look so sparsely populated), are not very impressive where they need to be. Particularly with textures: in Crysis 1, the textures looked amazing from any distance. Even from over a mile away in-game, mountains, trees, rocks, snow and ice looked like it was the appropriate texture resolution. It's about having the right amount of detail for the distance you are from the object. And up close, sometimes right up against the character, the textures did not pixelate. Crysis 2 on the other hand is underwhelming, with the vast open battlefields beautifully rendered in Crysis 1 completely absent. Textures are dull up-close and there isn't much detail in the distance. Buildings are usually the backdrop, and they just aren't all that interesting to look at. The physics which accentuated the visuals so well in the first game are nearly non-existent here. Shoot a rocket at a wall and it will remain without a scratch. Shoot a wall with bullets and you will only see the bullet hole texture for a few seconds. You can watch the texture for that disappear. Crysis 2 not only under-delivers on graphics but on the gameplay as well. The gameplay has been reduced to a very-linear shooter with a pathetically implemented on-the-fly cover system in an attempt to emulate modern warfare's style of shoving the player along with lots of stuff exploding. The developers also thought it would be a good idea to copy MW's hectic control events, adding in such useless segments as "click mouse 1 and 2 back and fourth to clime up/crawl". In an effort to cater to the masses, Crytek has also made the suit very limited and "easy" for people to use in the sequel. Instead of feeling like a real super soldier, the suit in the sequel has combined all the functions into simple actions. All the ledges are the same hight and it looks as if the environments were hand made for the suit's predetermined maximum jump. It makes you feel normal, whereas with the first game you really felt like you were jumping incredible heights. The speed mode is also decreased and it really just feels like a normal run in other games. Going on with bad design, they decided to take out any save function in this game, and go completely with a checkpoint system. Usually this is fine, but since battles tend to be very long, you wind up replaying a huge chunk of game if you make a minor mistake. And get ready for some long, boring battles. At least in Crysis 1, you had nano-suit equipped soldiers that were fun and interesting to deal with. In the sequel, they don't introduce the best enemy until the final minutes of the game - an alien capable of cloaking. Isn't it a no-brainer to have this kind of enemy throughout the game? I could go on, but the fact is if you hold Crysis 1 dear to the heart, you're likely going to be disappointed in this sloppy (yes there were a lot of bugs too) console-oriented pc shooter. Expand
  14. Apr 21, 2011
    Mildly entertaining single player game but with limited replay value: limited and linear environment (basically one path through game), unskipable cut scenes and cloak just makes the game too easy (even on highest difficulty can get through killing everything with just knife, pistol and shotgun).
  15. May 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this game was good yet it just was not quite up to what I thought the second Crysis would be. this game had been long anticipated and though it is a decent game with very good graphics personally I think the game was very shot and was quite buggy. Expand
  16. Oct 22, 2011
    What makes a great game? Some may characterise a game based on its innovations - like graphics, gaming mechanisms, etc. Conversely, I feel that a good game is one that you want to revisit at some point. Unfortunately, Crysis 2 initially failed to captivate me - so much so, that I gave up on it for a few months. One weekend, out of sheer boredom, I chose to re-pursue the campaign. ThisWhat makes a great game? Some may characterise a game based on its innovations - like graphics, gaming mechanisms, etc. Conversely, I feel that a good game is one that you want to revisit at some point. Unfortunately, Crysis 2 initially failed to captivate me - so much so, that I gave up on it for a few months. One weekend, out of sheer boredom, I chose to re-pursue the campaign. This time, I DID play it thru to completion - at which point, it sat idlely on my HDD gathering digital dust. A few months later, upon hearing of the DX11 patch, my expectations got the better of me and I decided to install it in conjunction with the high-res textures pack. Needless to say, these upgrades certainly made the game much more visually pleasing - in some instances, scenery was almost lifelike. That said, I soon discovered that unlike the myriad of older titles that I have in my collection, I had no incentive to play the game through for a second time. Unfortunately, I've come to the realisation that developers have lost their way... polish doesn't make a game. Whilst Crysis 2 was enjoyable at times, it was nowhere near worthy of the hype. Expand
  17. Feb 15, 2012
    More linear that its predecessor but still enjoyable, even after being dumbed-down for console ports Crysis 2 still looks better than 90% of other games out there. It starts a little slow but once I got into it, it was lots of fun, if a little repetitive - you have two modes of play: shoot aliens or shoot hostile marines and, slight deviations in how you want to accomplish that - stealthMore linear that its predecessor but still enjoyable, even after being dumbed-down for console ports Crysis 2 still looks better than 90% of other games out there. It starts a little slow but once I got into it, it was lots of fun, if a little repetitive - you have two modes of play: shoot aliens or shoot hostile marines and, slight deviations in how you want to accomplish that - stealth or all guns blazing. Good for a weekend. Expand
  18. Oct 20, 2011
    This will be short, first off i loved the game enough i played the beta on xbox and it was ok the nwhen i built my comp i bught the game pllayed through but didnt play much multi(my internet was capped) but once i was ready for some multi killing and killing and more... killing but I COULD'NT LOG IN, as in it woulddnt recognixe i had an internet connection, i asked them to fix it they did,This will be short, first off i loved the game enough i played the beta on xbox and it was ok the nwhen i built my comp i bught the game pllayed through but didnt play much multi(my internet was capped) but once i was ready for some multi killing and killing and more... killing but I COULD'NT LOG IN, as in it woulddnt recognixe i had an internet connection, i asked them to fix it they did, but after about 4 days and only fixed for 1 day, after abit more trying i kind off gave up i may try again at a lator date but i am quite annoyed at this. i have never played crysis one(as i only got my comp recently(im 14 and a half and have been been gaming online since i was 10 or 11 and gaming since i was two(heros of might and magic 2))). Expand
  19. Jul 24, 2012
    After playing the original Crysis, I expected a lot from this game and ended up disappointed. The problem isn't that Crysis 2 is bad game, but rather that it's just not that great, which makes it stack up poorly against it's predecessor. The graphics have been toned down to make them suitable for consoles, which makes them fairly unimpressive on a PC. Like the first game, this also suffersAfter playing the original Crysis, I expected a lot from this game and ended up disappointed. The problem isn't that Crysis 2 is bad game, but rather that it's just not that great, which makes it stack up poorly against it's predecessor. The graphics have been toned down to make them suitable for consoles, which makes them fairly unimpressive on a PC. Like the first game, this also suffers in the storyline/characters department: there is a big gap between these events and those of the first game (which is never made very clear), the new story is not all that compelling, and the characters are just as dull. What this games does right, however, is make you feel like you're in a hellish apocalyptic city, make you feel the extreme desperation of the crumbling human civilization. There are also some gameplay improvements, such as removable turrets (don't need that .50 cal machine gun now? rip it off the truck and carry it with you for later!), suit upgrades, and stealth melee kills. The nanosuit's powers have also been streamlined, which offers ups and downs: you no longer have to switch modes to move large objects or jump high, but they now drain suit energy faster. Overall, I think this game is worth playing. In my experience it took awhile for me to get into it, but once I did I found it plenty fun and really enjoyed the feeling of fighting alien armies in a crumbling NYC. Expand
  20. Jun 8, 2014
    One of the best introduction sequences to a AAA game in the last dozen years. Sadly, the combat and graphics take a big step down from Crysis. Seriously, 2014 and blurry textures in sign text? I sort of did a WTF and then checked to make sure my settings were indeed on Ultra. It's like I stepped into a time machine back to 2007.

On the upside, you can probably run this on your

On the upside, you can probably run this on your laptop. That and Bejewelled 12 (twirls finger).

The characters are also feeling weak. The first game wasn't strong, merely adequate, but this one pushes the limits of generic bad guys.

The gun play is solid, and I had fun stealthing up to bad guy 1, snapping his neck with precisely the correct torsional force, and then finishing off bad guys 2 and 3 with my hand gun/melee combo. Nothing like shooting a guy in the face and then elbowing him before he hits the floor.

Level design is also showing it's age, with urban building landscapes that initially feel open but are really closed with only a few potential routes. I'm okay with this so long as it's truly scripted narrative. Crysis 2 can't seem to make up its mind what it wants to be: an open world-like game or a tightly integrated frag-fest like the latest Tomb Raider.

Whatever. It's fun enough, just don't pay full price.
  21. May 28, 2014
    Crysis 2 is a good pc game .I am enjoying it .Options of this game are superb.
    ,but i find some difficulties in playing it. Mouse controls in crysis 2 are not better,when compared with crysis. No proper view. Graphics are ok ,but there is something mistake in it.
  22. Sep 10, 2011
    When the first game came out, it was innovation graphically, the game play was different from others first-person shooters. All that was because they develop it specially for the PC. This time, they went for the Xbox 360 as the main platform, forcing them to adjust themselves to a far weaker machine and that's the result of Crysis 2. The game is fun for a one time run, but you can't feelWhen the first game came out, it was innovation graphically, the game play was different from others first-person shooters. All that was because they develop it specially for the PC. This time, they went for the Xbox 360 as the main platform, forcing them to adjust themselves to a far weaker machine and that's the result of Crysis 2. The game is fun for a one time run, but you can't feel the "Crysis" feeling. You aren't feeling the wildness, the survival aspect of it. The multiplayer can keeps you playing for a week maybe and then you will mostly stop playing the game. As for the performance of the game, you don't have a real PC setting for it, it is not very customizable. But the game runs for sure, well it is not very hard when the main platform is a Xbox 360. Fairly, I hope that Crytek makes the PC his main platform again because the Cry Engine is awesome and that games coming from it should also be. Expand
  23. op8
    May 31, 2011
    Right, i'm not going to repeat what many have already said before me so i'll just sum this up neatly.
    As a console shooter, (which this CLEARLY is), it's a solid 8/10 game.
    As a PC game and sequel to Crysis and Crysis Warhead, the game gets a 5/10.....Its inferior in every way you look at it.
  24. Apr 3, 2011
    Graphics 8
    Sound 8
    Gameplay 5 Story 4 Controls 5 - Graphically, Crysis 2 is most certainly a beautiful game; this is, however, mulled quite often by graphical shortcomings in the form of entirely flat surfaces where the player may feel they could have spent that tiny bit more on graphics requirements to improve that particular aspect. This is seen most quickly by viewing bullet-casings
    Graphics 8
    Sound 8
    Gameplay 5
    Story 4
    Controls 5
    Graphically, Crysis 2 is most certainly a beautiful game; this is, however, mulled quite often by graphical shortcomings in the form of entirely flat surfaces where the player may feel they could have spent that tiny bit more on graphics requirements to improve that particular aspect. This is seen most quickly by viewing bullet-casings lying on the ground behind a wall the player may be hiding behind, waiting for a patrol to pass, only to find that not only is the supposedly depressed floor tile entirely flat, but the 'rubbish' and bullet casings lying there are also entirely flat. Similar effects are found in other world-detailing aspects that serve to break immersion significantly.

NPCs in the game additionally have absolutely terrible animations, with facial animations making all the characters look like they've suffered strokes, with virtually no expressions and wild flailing of arms completely disconnected from the scene's mood, the character's attitude or what they're saying/explaining/expressing.

The hostile NPCs furthermore come in four varieties for the humans and four for the aliens; the humans may all be wearing full military dress, but even real world soldiers will have some degree of personal effects on their persons and/or customizations to their gear to better suit their personal operational style. This is not at all reflected in the human nor alien NPCs, each and every one of which look exactly the same. A game like Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 had already broken ground in this regard years ago, and one would think that a game heralded as the father of graphics innovation would also have such functionality. Resident Evil 5, built on the Unreal 3.5 engine, also has such functionality, and in ways could be considered to exceed the graphical variety and quality/polish portrayed by Crysis 2.
    Audio wise, Crysis 2 is excellent. Using only a basic pair of 5.1 speakers and a mid-range onboard audio solution that would for many other games often have trouble recreating a believable surround sound audio stage, this game has excellent channel separation without misplacing audio. The environmental effects, while not massively varied nor particularly impressive, do come across as reasonably realistic, with exception for NPC voices, which due to the mixture of ear-based audio and the suit's radio signal interception, may oftentimes cause confusing or 'broken' results when hearing someone behind a wall.

The voice acting of the story NPCs is terrible. Every one of the characters sound like college students, even those that would otherwise appear to be hardened war veterans, and with exception to a few 'cutscenes', all the human and alien NPCs share the same voices; if I counted correctly there are two sets of voices in total for the humans to use with zero voice font usage to modulate their voices to change the way they sound. This is another feature that simply should have been in the game, but isn't.
    Gameplay wise, Crysis 2 falls short of what Crysis 1 provided. You are no longer on a massive, open world, you are now on a linear path through broken buildings and subway tunnels, occasionally heading out into the open streets only to get to the next pickup location, building or subway entrance. The AI of this game is quite simply appalling. Very often an NPC will break and will not react to anything that is happening around him whatsoever unless he has seen you himself; this includes gunfights in their vicinity where you are standing directly behind them shooting all their comrades with an un-silenced weapon, bumping into them, jumping up and down behind them. They will only notice you if you actually get into their field of view. Other times, NPCs will break and go into an endless loop of performing several 'alarm' and 'notification' animations, ducking into and out of cover rapidly while cycling three or four different voice queues constantly until killed.

Alien NPC AI is also incredibly predictable even on the hard difficulty, and the bulk of NPCs can be dispatched simply by waiting for them to come into range of you then grabbing them to use them as a meat-shield. There is minimal to no inclination on their part to dodge your attacks.

Weapons modification might as well not exist, with ironsights, the assault scope and silencer being all you really use.
    The story of Crysis 2 is quite simply terrible. Many of the NPCs encountered in the first game that you would be led to believe would feature majorly in Crysis 2 are simply not there, as though they have suddenly ceased to exist in the aliens' world. The story is also one massive cliche-kiddies-rollercoaster and the game is finished within several short hours of play.
    Controls-wise, the game handles mediocre at best. On the PC version, the console-based weapons switching is retained, meaning you will often be fumbling trying to get to the weapon you actually meant to get out.
  25. Mar 30, 2011
    I was really debating whether this game deserved a 6 or 7. Ultimately I had mixed feelings thus I'll leave it in the mixed section. My biggest problem was the amount of plot holes in the story, it just felt so forced. It was incredibly easy and far too short. I remember hearing that it was supposed to be significantly longer than the original. However I don't think I died once andI was really debating whether this game deserved a 6 or 7. Ultimately I had mixed feelings thus I'll leave it in the mixed section. My biggest problem was the amount of plot holes in the story, it just felt so forced. It was incredibly easy and far too short. I remember hearing that it was supposed to be significantly longer than the original. However I don't think I died once and ended up finishing it in about 8 hours. For a game build around its single player campaign this isn't going to cut it. It's still a fun game, but definately did not live up to the oringial, not even close. Expand
  26. Oct 26, 2011
    I am so disappointed by the step down in quality and gameplay this game is from Crysis. Freedom? Gone. Tackling objectives in your way? Gone. Bullet physics are reminiscent of Call of Duty (i.e. no recoil), the game is now particularly linear (console limitations?) story is mediocre at best with cardboard characters and limited enemy variety. Couple with abysmal AI (Artificial Wut?), badlyI am so disappointed by the step down in quality and gameplay this game is from Crysis. Freedom? Gone. Tackling objectives in your way? Gone. Bullet physics are reminiscent of Call of Duty (i.e. no recoil), the game is now particularly linear (console limitations?) story is mediocre at best with cardboard characters and limited enemy variety. Couple with abysmal AI (Artificial Wut?), badly designed maps and horribly executed missions and you have a run-of-the-mill shooter with cloak tacked on. It lacks the freedom and creativity present in its predecessor. this is probably one of the most blatant ports I have ever seen and has been streamlined to basic Call of Duty simplicity. This is not the end Crysis deserved. Graphics don't make a game, gameplay does, and in this respect it is good and enjoyable. However it's replay-ability is lacking due to linear level design and the MP is just meh after a few hours. Expand
  27. Mar 29, 2011
    If you played the original Crysis you think you would know what to expect from Crysis 2. As unhappy as I am to tell you this you are wrong. Lets start off with the story, the story itself was decent, but they missed in a few areas that just throw things off. Like in Crysis 1 the aliens where ice based and had the ability to turn the environment around them into solid ice, yet no iceIf you played the original Crysis you think you would know what to expect from Crysis 2. As unhappy as I am to tell you this you are wrong. Lets start off with the story, the story itself was decent, but they missed in a few areas that just throw things off. Like in Crysis 1 the aliens where ice based and had the ability to turn the environment around them into solid ice, yet no ice weapons or freezing landscapes are present in Crysis 2 at all, and no explanation as to why they are not either. The story does not seem to be focused. For the first maybe 1/3 of the game you are trying to cure a disease then you are trying to do something else without curing the disease and not one character mentions it after that. You see how the disease is affecting the people once after that, but it is only one scene.

Lets move onto gameplay. The environments are linear, which being linear in itself is not a bad thing, but when creating a sequel to a game that featured huge sandbox levels where players could do things however they pleased it feels like a drawback more than anything else. The nanosuit got some upgrades but got downgraded in the process as well. They tried to integrate the power and speed modes. In the end though it feels more like you lost the ability to use those modes then actually being there at the flip of a switch. The speed mode is just pressing the sprint button, which actually doesn't make you go any faster or just a little bit faster then any regular sprint from any other game. Strength mode is just awkward to use now. Instead of quickly switching to strength mode and pounding someone in, you have to hold it for a certain amount of time which when trying to lay a power melee on someone is just plain awkward. The same thing can be said about power jumping but to a less degree. The Nano powers are a nice upgrade to it, but ultimately don't make losing two suit powers make you feel any more powerful. Next up is cryengine 3. I'll be perfectly honest the cryengine 2 was actually a more powerful engine. Crysis 2 does not seem to run better because they polished cryengine 2 to make cryengine 3, they just took stuff out and made it less of a complicated engine. The physics are not as good as the ones in Crysis 1, the environment is less interactible, and the AI doesn't seem quite there.

I'll say this about the lack of graphical options. This is a bad move by Crytek sure people can go into the config files and monkey around with them a little but who wants to do that and how much to an extent can you monkey around with them. Crysis 2 is not the system runner its predecessor was, but its still isn't to be taken lightly either. Point being I feel that Crytek made the same mistake they made with Crysis, except this time it might be to hard for people to run on lower to average end comps due to poor graphical options.

MP to my greatest displeasure is something that will more than likely be forgotten by the time I may even be typing this. Damn near impossible to get into a game sometimes and when you do get the match starting the lobby countdown timer gets stuck at one :(. It is limited to I believe either 12-18 players, and you have just the standard already to have seen game modes. Which those game modes are good, but it also isn't anything people already can't get from the cod series. The nanosuits don't really add anything to gameplay depth. Armor mode just means I have to put more bullets into someone to kill them. Cloak doesn't seem its going to be a major part of gameplay. They got rid of what I felt to be their strongest mode which was "power struggle". The game also seems to have difficulty tracking your level progress. I will have unlocked something and equip the suit power then leave and when I come back it will show me not having unlocked it. I usually don't have this problem if I get it to update after a match. But why can't I unlock something and get my class ready for the next time I play then leave?
  28. Apr 9, 2011
    Didn't play the first one, so can't really make a comparison. The lack of DirectX 11 support sucks, and getting this to work with crossfire required about 2-3 hours research, so there's that, but them's just small complaints that could have been overlooked if the game wasn't so pedantic and uninspired. More articulate peeps have elaborated on why this game fails to impress, so I'll justDidn't play the first one, so can't really make a comparison. The lack of DirectX 11 support sucks, and getting this to work with crossfire required about 2-3 hours research, so there's that, but them's just small complaints that could have been overlooked if the game wasn't so pedantic and uninspired. More articulate peeps have elaborated on why this game fails to impress, so I'll just end it here with a quote that I feel sort of sums it all up: "I like turtles." Expand
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    After nearly three hours playing Crysis 2 I came to three conclusions. 1. It looks nice 2. It's Call of Duty clone #9786 - Alien Edition and 3. You can beat the majority of the game by running past enemies with Armor mode enabled. Crysis 2 reminds me of a sequel in the same way as an after dinner mint is a sequel to a juicy steak. Sure, you might enjoy it somewhat but it's nothingAfter nearly three hours playing Crysis 2 I came to three conclusions. 1. It looks nice 2. It's Call of Duty clone #9786 - Alien Edition and 3. You can beat the majority of the game by running past enemies with Armor mode enabled. Crysis 2 reminds me of a sequel in the same way as an after dinner mint is a sequel to a juicy steak. Sure, you might enjoy it somewhat but it's nothing amazing and you sure aren't getting much out of eating it. Expand
  30. Apr 9, 2011
    This is a console port....more evidence that the PC platform is being shunted!:( The 3D vision is strange on this game. It looks more like a 2D game displayed on a screen within your monitor....quite strange, but it explains why, even on a mediocre rig like mine, the 3D doesn't kill the frame rate.

Also, very very buggy! Enemies look like they're just standing in open space...then when you zoom to line up your sights...they're behind boxes or barriers??!!!! Not sure if this is a negative side affect of graphical settings?

Also, poor AI. You can kill an enemy...and wait for every other sucker in the vicinity to turn up culminating in a pile of bodies:(

The game itself is so so...nothing overly memorable, best enjoyed if rented or borrowed.
  31. Mar 30, 2011
    This should not be called Crysis 2: this game is nothing like its predecessor. It is, in fact, far inferior to Crysis in almost every way. The first game didn't have a stellar story, but this story is even worse. It is convoluted. It is also riddled with plot holes and continuity issues. Seriously, modern authors suck ass. The aliens aren't even the same ones that were featured in theThis should not be called Crysis 2: this game is nothing like its predecessor. It is, in fact, far inferior to Crysis in almost every way. The first game didn't have a stellar story, but this story is even worse. It is convoluted. It is also riddled with plot holes and continuity issues. Seriously, modern authors suck ass. The aliens aren't even the same ones that were featured in the first game. WTF? The game also loses the vaunted sandbox nature of its predecessor. That incredible ability to approach the situation from any conceivable angle is now gone; you only have two options in this game. You can either use armor and go in with your guns blazing, or you can use stealth to sneak by everyone, possibly killing him or her silently along the way. Moreover, the environment is now completely static. Lampposts stay standing after enduring a round of swarmer missiles; buildings don't deform after taking a shot from a tank. The list goes on and on. This destructibility was present in the first game. Why isn't it here now? Don't even get me started on the graphics: they are horrid, especially considering how good the first Crysis looked. In this regard the game disappoints on all fronts: the lighting is excessive and fake, the motion blur is nauseating and overdone, bad textures are everywhere, the vegetation is lacking in geometric detail, object deformation effects are virtually absent, and the skin shading is sub-par. Why did they bother making Cry Engine 3? Screw the damn consoles. If they had rendered this game with the Cry Engine 2, it would have looked much better. Hell, Cry Engine 1 might have looked better.

What happened to Crytek's design team? They abandoned the formula that made them great in the past and made a **** COD clone. They should be ashamed of themselves. I guess that we have to rely on REAL PC developers like 4A games and DICE to pick up the baton and push the boundaries of visual realism now. Seriously, the COD games and consoles are now heinous public offenders in my eyes.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 22, 2011
    New York in ruins, alien invasion and a hi-tech suit? Sounds like a typical B-movie. This time it's different – it's done with such perfection and enthusiasm that all FPSs can finally retire – either 2nd World War or modern. [Issue#203]
  2. May 18, 2011
    When we played Crysis 2 on the consoles, we honestly could have taken or left it. Only on the PC do we feel comfortable recommending and replaying Crytek's best game yet – and its first chance of matching technical prowess with good game design.
  3. May 5, 2011
    Crysis 2 meets and exceeds all my expectations as a sequel and a next-gen shooter.