8.0

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2072 Ratings

1. Aug 29, 2011
    Crysis is a blast to look at. Awesome graphics mixed with a big beautiful Island and some nice voice acting. But sadly it seems to stop there, as the story isn't strong enough to carry through to the end. The idea with the nano-suit is also fun for the first few times, but I quickly tired to try and sneak around and simply picked the larges gun there was to blast my way to the final boss.Crysis is a blast to look at. Awesome graphics mixed with a big beautiful Island and some nice voice acting. But sadly it seems to stop there, as the story isn't strong enough to carry through to the end. The idea with the nano-suit is also fun for the first few times, but I quickly tired to try and sneak around and simply picked the larges gun there was to blast my way to the final boss. There was some minor glitches and bugs I ran into but none which were game-braking at any point. A good enough game if you're a fan of Far Cry 1. Expand
  2. ClearView
    Oct 27, 2009
    The graphics are very good so that's a big 10. The gameplay is really bad.. In the beginning you have some fun but later on it get's boring. And the finish of the game is really bad... It's like someone started to create something and had to do the work in 1 hour in stead of 2 months. So i had not much fun with this game..
  3. B.A.F.
    Feb 28, 2009
    Top notch first half, crawling through the jungle and fighting the Koreans. The suit abilities are excellent and give the player a nice variety of abilities to attack the enemy. Great stuff! The second half turns into an alien battle and the downhill slide begins, ending in a been-there, done-that-before, kill the giant boss, sci-fi ending. Crap. Tragic ending to an absolutely fantastic Top notch first half, crawling through the jungle and fighting the Koreans. The suit abilities are excellent and give the player a nice variety of abilities to attack the enemy. Great stuff! The second half turns into an alien battle and the downhill slide begins, ending in a been-there, done-that-before, kill the giant boss, sci-fi ending. Crap. Tragic ending to an absolutely fantastic beginning. Technically, the game performance degrades in direct correlation to the length of the game. Performance was quite smooth on my e8400/ati4850, DX10, graphics all very high, for the first 2/3 of the game. The last 1/3 of the game involved multiple crashes and finally a lowering of all the settings just to be able to finish the game. One gets the feeling that they didn't get enough time to polish the second half / alien part of the game. Overall, the game looked fantastic, the sound was excellent and the gameplay quite engaging. Too bad the cliche ending and technical issues took their toll. Expand
  4. Mar 10, 2013
    To me, Crysis is kind of like a mixed bag where the good stuff slightly takes overhand.
    This game becomes really fun once you take advantage of the sandbox elements. There's nothing more satisfying than experimenting with the different suit modes, trying to find stuff to throw at your enemies or BREAKING INTO A GOD DAMN HOUSE WITH YOUR FISTS!
    However if you look at the main game itself,
    However if you look at the main game itself, there's not a whole lot to it other than the graphics. The story is very bland, gun play is kind of weak and the second half of the game is really boring because it takes away the sandbox elements more and more.
    However, I just had so much fun with the first half that I just can't give this game anything below a 6.
    Wouldn't get it at full price but if you find it somewhere, I'd say pick it up.
  5. Mar 2, 2014
    OK. Yep fairly gorgeous graphics on the beaches. However a major bug spoils that a bit for you.

Starting with bug No 1. There is a nasty, very nasty audio bug that completely ruins the sound. Crackling and reverb banging away until you can hardly work out what is going on. The only way I found to stop it was run the game in DX9, and that meant I could only get high graphics settings. Unless you are prepared to do a little mod to your installation, you need to run in DX10 to have very high settings.

I didn't like the no-gravity stuff much. I got quite a few bugs in there and couldn't get out. After reloading game I saw that a door was meant to open.

The maze in the ship meant I got lost a few times. I mean it was not too bad, but when you had to get the Tac-cannon I got lost. Searching and searching.

Then we get to the final boss. I died and died and died and died and died and died and died. On top of that, Crysis let one if its ultimate bugs out on you. You fall through the deck of the destroyer. Re-load, same thing, re-load, same thing. Start the game again, OK, died and died and died and died, and falling through the deck, and falling through the deck, and falling through the deck. I just gave up, with the boss left alive to write this review for the benefit of others. Maybe I will try finish it again, but for now, I am fed up.

Basically I would say this game isn't complete and EA have a lot of apologising to do. (I'd say quite poorly optimised as well.)
  6. Feb 21, 2012
    To some, a benchmark. For others, a benchmark of how a great traditional open world first person shooter is made. For me crysis walks the middle ground. It's pacing was flawed, however it's systems flow with grace. It will always look incredible - however what many fail to recognize is that the actual game underneath - is kind of incredible as well. Just not perfect.
  7. May 25, 2011
    Bought this on a Steam weekend sale for a steal. It was one game that when it came out my computer had no hope of running it so I never played it. Now my computer is better and it's a 4 year old game...so it goes. The interesting thing about that is, this game STILL looks simply stunning 4 years later. I have played other games released in the last year that don't even come close to theBought this on a Steam weekend sale for a steal. It was one game that when it came out my computer had no hope of running it so I never played it. Now my computer is better and it's a 4 year old game...so it goes. The interesting thing about that is, this game STILL looks simply stunning 4 years later. I have played other games released in the last year that don't even come close to the beauty that Crysis displays. The environment is a character itself in this one. The plants move when you walk by, the water makes ripples when you step in it, there are grouse that run in little packs and move out of your way. The sun rises and sets sending rays of light and growing shadows, it FEELS cold when there is frost. It's that good. Visually stunning, still. And that is saying a lot in the world of four year old graphics. It has been a long time since a shooter grabbed my attention and made me not want to stop playing. A LOOONG TIME, like say HALO. Shooters too often are the same game with a different title (pick any war simulation on the market today, doesn't matter who makes it, same game). This one felt different. Because the environment mattered so much it changed the whole game. Plants make cover, walk too far forward and you are seen, too far back and you can't see. Shadows, lighting all affect the AI. These AI enemies actually act with and react to the environment. Need to get past a pack of bad guys but low on ammo? Toss a stick and they'll go see what it was. Crash a truck and they'll check it out and when they don't find you, they will act nervously, searching the area. It is some of the best AI in a shooter, even now four years later. Now, I'm not saying these guys are gonna win any intelligence awards, they're dumb AI. But some of the best dumb AI out there. Weapons are all unique and have their perks. Used properly all weapons are appropriately lethal. In the end this game was the whole package. Good story, great action, jaw dropping graphics, a shooter that actually rewards strategy and an environment that makes formulating one satisfying and fun. If you haven't played Crysis and want a good shooter, get this one. The game played bug free but did display a few graphical glitches that did not affect game play, just looked odd occasionally. EDIT : Game will not play completely on DX10, which it sets by default if your system is capable. It is necessary to force the game to play in DX9 in order to finish the game. 2 points removed from rating for this bug. Expand
  8. Nov 25, 2010
    You can easily see where the influence of this game came from. However, I am going to complete this review without any reference to Halo. The most notable detail, one that you'll see as soon as you begin playing, is the scenery. The aesthetically pleasing environment of this FPS puts all others to shame. However, while the levels seem quite open and non-linear at a glance, they feelYou can easily see where the influence of this game came from. However, I am going to complete this review without any reference to Halo. The most notable detail, one that you'll see as soon as you begin playing, is the scenery. The aesthetically pleasing environment of this FPS puts all others to shame. However, while the levels seem quite open and non-linear at a glance, they feel limited. Also the story lacks much originality as does most aspects of the game. Don't get me wrong though, it is a very enjoyable shooter that I recommend for all you have the PC requirements to play it. It may not be remembered for as long as the popular console games, but it is one of the best on PC and should definitely be on your shopping list. Expand
  9. GordonB.
    Oct 14, 2008
    Graphic wise its great but unfortunately the gamplay just does not match the hype if you played halo 3 then you have basically played this. story is dull and predictable the vtol section in particular is utterly terrible and should not be in a game with this level of hype it is also riddled with bugs which do just destroy the whole experience and should not be released i mean come on can Graphic wise its great but unfortunately the gamplay just does not match the hype if you played halo 3 then you have basically played this. story is dull and predictable the vtol section in particular is utterly terrible and should not be in a game with this level of hype it is also riddled with bugs which do just destroy the whole experience and should not be released i mean come on can a pc game not be released without being tested completely surly by now its got beyond a joke, overall great looking game if ya can run, but nothing new if ya cant run it get something else to play as unless your a graphic freak it aint an essential purchase say like bioshock or half life 2 there is a lot better out there maybe just not as pretty. Expand
  10. Jan 16, 2011
    Crysis delivers a good FPS experience, having stunning graphics and quite cool gameplay, but nothing exceptional as for the storyline. This game suffers from several programming flaws, but nothing that will make your gaming experience unenjoyable, even if you could be forced to start over a mission due to an error in the programming; as for graphics, most likely the best feature in thisCrysis delivers a good FPS experience, having stunning graphics and quite cool gameplay, but nothing exceptional as for the storyline. This game suffers from several programming flaws, but nothing that will make your gaming experience unenjoyable, even if you could be forced to start over a mission due to an error in the programming; as for graphics, most likely the best feature in this game, it's still hard to find a computer able to run this at high values smoothly enough, and even in this aspect you still have minor resolution bugs and compatibility issues with DirectX 10.
    A quite good game overall and a must-try for everyone.
  11. Koo
    Jan 12, 2013
    Even playing the game 5 years after it's original release, it still is a graphical beast. The graphics are impressive to say the least, but run smoothly on my 2x GeForce GTX460 cards in SLI. Overall, I enjoyed the game. The storyline was reasonably good, but its strong suit is the action set pieces. These were tremendous. And the game is very atmospheric too. When paired with theEven playing the game 5 years after it's original release, it still is a graphical beast. The graphics are impressive to say the least, but run smoothly on my 2x GeForce GTX460 cards in SLI. Overall, I enjoyed the game. The storyline was reasonably good, but its strong suit is the action set pieces. These were tremendous. And the game is very atmospheric too. When paired with the superb graphics, it feels like I really am in a jungle or on board a massive spacecraft. I deduct points for shabby storytelling and an almost total lack of multiplayer servers available. With a stronger multiplayer component, this game would rate an 8 or a 9, but as it stands, it is single player only. So I can award no more than a 7. Still worth playing however, and has aged very well. Expand
  12. Jul 15, 2011
    I liked Crysis a helluva lot more than I THOUGHT I would, it looked fantastic and real, although it has been designed for some super computer built in SPACE! And the story was decent albeit slightly flimsy as you got on in the game, the mechanics such as stealth, armour and other abilities give a slightly more expansive feel to an otherwise quite linear game which doesn't make much of theI liked Crysis a helluva lot more than I THOUGHT I would, it looked fantastic and real, although it has been designed for some super computer built in SPACE! And the story was decent albeit slightly flimsy as you got on in the game, the mechanics such as stealth, armour and other abilities give a slightly more expansive feel to an otherwise quite linear game which doesn't make much of the engine, the only problem are the vehicles which feel like your driving a space hopper whilst juggling......penguins and having sex......with the Queen......on fire.......whilst defending yourself from zombies.....fast zombies......with AIDs. All at the same time. That is what the vehicles feel like, but it's still a decent game and definitely worth buying it if you have the sort of computer to run it to at least justify that investment for it. Expand
  13. Oct 27, 2013
    Really enjoyable but epically broken shooter. It's entirely possible to have the game miss a cue and you will never be able to move forward from there.
  14. Jun 28, 2015
    - Good: Pushing hardware to maximum, Shooting
    - Mixed: Gameplay
    - Bad: Story, Linear, Monotonous

Decent game but nothing more. Boring and monotonous after some time.
  15. Jan 4, 2011
    So yeah, really pretty trees and vistas and....that's about it. The dialog would have been better if they had never said anything at all. The game has your standard assortment of weapons but once I got my hands on an AK with a scope It was pretty much the only weapon I used. Although there was this problem I had where when I went to pick up a pistol for its ammo I ended up with twoSo yeah, really pretty trees and vistas and....that's about it. The dialog would have been better if they had never said anything at all. The game has your standard assortment of weapons but once I got my hands on an AK with a scope It was pretty much the only weapon I used. Although there was this problem I had where when I went to pick up a pistol for its ammo I ended up with two pistols and I was no longer able to sight down the barrel for precise shots which really sucked. Also for some reason the sun was rising in the south west in the game which made absolutely no sense to me.

The time spent in vehicles(tanks, helicopter) was largely frustrating and I was pretty happy when they were over. All in all, Im glad I only paid $6 for this(steam sale) been furious if I had paid full price for this half-game.
  16. Jan 31, 2013
    Crysis was the subject of seemingly unending hype a few years ago, and the cover art was plastered in every game store everywhere. Expecting a mediocre run-and-gun FPS like Battlefield: Call of Honor, I waited for the price to drop... and it only took 4 years! For starters, the game wouldn't run because of incompatibility with Windows 8. This is apparently a copy protection issue but ICrysis was the subject of seemingly unending hype a few years ago, and the cover art was plastered in every game store everywhere. Expecting a mediocre run-and-gun FPS like Battlefield: Call of Honor, I waited for the price to drop... and it only took 4 years! For starters, the game wouldn't run because of incompatibility with Windows 8. This is apparently a copy protection issue but I (eventually) found a workaround. The game starts out as a Korean killing simulator with generic-as-hell weapons such as the "precision rifle" and the "shotgun". Some weapons have different firing modes and you can swap attachments for guns (e.g. scopes, silencers) after you take them off guns you find. Fortunately, the game spices things up with a "nano suit", which is a very poorly-designed super-duper-ninja suit in that it only has enough battery to power one 'ability' at a time, and only for a very short duration. Luckily, it charges quickly as well, so the skilled player must switch modes and find cover frequently to survive. The game at first looks like a non-linear exploration type game like Far Cry (even has a huge Jungle map to boot) but it becomes clear that you get very few optional objectives, and they're almost always along the way to your primary objective. The driving mechanics are a bit odd and vehicles generally have fewer hit points than I expected from playing the Battlefield series. On a number of occasions, hitting a small obstacle at low speed made my jeeps and trucks explode like a nuclear bomb on wheels. The choice of vehicles is limited and generic but they all have nitro boosters for some reason. They are not nearly as fun to drive like in other FPS games like Arma or, of course, Battlefield because they're just not flexible enough. The worst part of this entire game, though, is the fact that every scene absolutely-positively-and-with-no-argument MUST be completed in the precise way the level designers made it. For example, new paths open only after going to specific dead ends or killing a certain number of enemies. There are certain parts of the game in which you have absolutely no indication of where to go, making the latter even worse. If you have any intuition as a gamer, scrap it. The things a gamer expects to work to get to the next passage never do, and often cause you to die. And if you die after the direction is revealed, after loading you STILL have to go back to those dead ends and wait for the same scripted events to happen for the path to be open. The worst was when you knew which parts of the final boss to target and destroyed them before the scripted dialogue -- only to have them regenerate for you to destroy again when the scripted event is over. In short, this game is overly scripted and you get virtually no choice. During "team combat" scenes, it's clear that only some enemies are supposed to be killed by you, and the rest by the AI. In other cases, enemies spawn infinitely, making most of the game an exercise in running past enemies or cloaking while they're shooting at you (which hilariously confuses them.) The graphics are pretty nice (especially later on) but the engine is horrendously inefficient, and you will lose frames massively despite this game being 4 years old already, even on medium settings. After spending most of the time dying for FOOLISHLY playing as though you had any freedom, and not did exactly what the level designers want, the game is actually pretty short. It's a shame, too, since they obviously worked very hard on designing the graphics for the later stages. There's absolutely no incentive to explore, except to get a bit of ammo -- and in many missions you lose the previous guns you had worked so hard to find only to start with a pistol. Overall, I'd give this game a 3/5 because it's obviously more creative and interesting than the same crappy recycled Call of Honor campaigns we've suffered through for half a decade, but at the same time, you have to do a lot of boring and frustrating experimentation to see how particular parts are SUPPOSED to be finished, not how they COULD HAVE been finished had the level designers not been so narrow-minded. Expand
  17. May 4, 2011
    not a good followup to far cry. this game tried too hard to complicate game play by adding sci fi nanosuits etc....gamers just want to shoot and kill while keeping it simple. this game when first released was a system resource hog and barely playable. some ppl love this game but it just didnt really excite me i guess because i dont like the whole future element.
  18. MichaelK.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Im not gonna even go into the graphics (which are amazing) and the system u need to run it on (which needs to be pretty beefy). im jus gonna talk about the game play. This game plays exactly like Far Cry which is great... for four years ago. The "New and Innovative" Nano-suit doesnt bring anything new to the table. Some might say the abilty to cloak and the different enhancements are Im not gonna even go into the graphics (which are amazing) and the system u need to run it on (which needs to be pretty beefy). im jus gonna talk about the game play. This game plays exactly like Far Cry which is great... for four years ago. The "New and Innovative" Nano-suit doesnt bring anything new to the table. Some might say the abilty to cloak and the different enhancements are innovative, but they arent. while the enviroments, like i said before, look amazing, they are not used to their full potential like they were in Far Cry... they are mainly just there for eye candy. AI wise, this game is lacking, the biggest problem about the Nano-suit that i mentioned before is that the enemies hav no way of counteracting it. (especially the cloaking ability, that enemies can never detect, which you will fall back on so much as to the point it turns into a crutch). Some will also say the AI is great because they will attack you en mass use cover and turrets and once and a while lob a grenade. Except thats not great AI, thats average AI, and its nothing i havnt experienced before, especially since i play F.E.A.R. Half-Life and Halo. Considering how technically impressive this game is i expected so much more in the AI department. Lastly, while the physics were usually solid, there were to many glitches and "WTF" moments that just took away from the whole experience and stole you away from an otherwise mezmorizing enviroment (which was mainly the incredible graphics). To wrap everything up, this game is stuck in the past. Everything, other then the graphics, is something you've seen and done before and none of it is done all that well. Other then the graphics. Expand
  19. Feb 19, 2011
    Finally after 3 years I could play this game. Now my rig can handle it (phenom2 965, hd 6850, 4gb, win7). Hopefully crysis2 will be better optimized.
  20. TimothyK
    Jan 6, 2010
    This game would have been great if it came out in say 1999/2000 when Half-Life came out. However just coming out in 2007 already feels dated. I'm not sure why everyone is raving about the graphics they are just whatever in my opinion. The game is full of glitches including suicidal enimes (saw enemy jeep crash for no reason and saw a enemy solider walk off a bridge to scream in This game would have been great if it came out in say 1999/2000 when Half-Life came out. However just coming out in 2007 already feels dated. I'm not sure why everyone is raving about the graphics they are just whatever in my opinion. The game is full of glitches including suicidal enimes (saw enemy jeep crash for no reason and saw a enemy solider walk off a bridge to scream in horror). The game doesn't seem that well thought out either you have a choice to pick up almost anything thing and use it as a weapon, but why? Wen you have many type of guns. Also I'm not sure why every enemy solider has to be shot so many times before they die. I understand I'm wearing a supersuit and you will fight others in them as well but the regular wimpy koreans? This game is a bit of a sandbox which is nice so there isn't only one way to take care of a problem so it does make you feel like you are in control however overall I do regret buying this game. Expand
  21. MichaelR.
    Apr 3, 2008
    This game was cool at first. However, I don't really ever like the story lines for the single player aspect of most games. The multi-player is still severely unbalanced after 2 patches and the physics engine needs a lot of work. Most FPS games, you shoot someone in the head, they die. In Crysis, you're better off unloading the whole clip into their body, because, as an expert This game was cool at first. However, I don't really ever like the story lines for the single player aspect of most games. The multi-player is still severely unbalanced after 2 patches and the physics engine needs a lot of work. Most FPS games, you shoot someone in the head, they die. In Crysis, you're better off unloading the whole clip into their body, because, as an expert Marine marksman, headshots just aren't doing it for me no matter what weapon I use... The other part that boggles my mind is the system requirements needed to play. Granted, the graphics are far superior to games like Battlefield 2. However, the gameplay makes one feel like they wasted their hard-earned money to upgrade their system for a flawed game. Expand
  22. ChrisH.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Sure the graphics are amazing. even in Low spec its not bad. but after testing it. it made me realize how many things that were very critical were left in the game. like having the end bug out and having the TAC not lock on STILL! story line is quite boring. Multiplayer wise love it. but wish they kept the gore level in that we saw in Alpha. IE corpse chunks from MOAR
  23. TrustMe
    Mar 5, 2008
    Pros: Great quality, good start, awsome look, cool idea Cons: Too much bugs, crashes, needs high end PC, and AI is way to poor.
  24. CodyF
    Nov 8, 2009
    Honestly, I thought it was fairly mediocre. The only cool thing is the nanosuits which have 4 special settings to improve something on you, but only one can be activated at at a time. Otherwise, I was bored for most of the time. I didn't find anything especially fun, except maybe the TAC Gun, which makes huge explosions... I tried it, but I didn't like it. It does have good Honestly, I thought it was fairly mediocre. The only cool thing is the nanosuits which have 4 special settings to improve something on you, but only one can be activated at at a time. Otherwise, I was bored for most of the time. I didn't find anything especially fun, except maybe the TAC Gun, which makes huge explosions... I tried it, but I didn't like it. It does have good graphics, but the 'fun' department of it fails. Expand
  25. JohnB.
    Jul 3, 2009
    I don't see what the hype is. Its a mediocore game in my opinion, but seriously SJT, i think your smoking crack. You definitely sound like a fanboy to me. I own the ps3, wii, xbox360 and an alienware pc. I simply dont spend much time on the computer because I love playing with friends, offline mostly but online is ok sometimes. So to all those geeks who want to waste their weekends I don't see what the hype is. Its a mediocore game in my opinion, but seriously SJT, i think your smoking crack. You definitely sound like a fanboy to me. I own the ps3, wii, xbox360 and an alienware pc. I simply dont spend much time on the computer because I love playing with friends, offline mostly but online is ok sometimes. So to all those geeks who want to waste their weekends by themselves to play a mediocore game go ahead, but in my honest opinion, its just a way to waste time when you are bored. Expand
  26. HemmoB.
    Dec 20, 2007
    First half of this game was just awesome, but then things got a bit awry. After the alien mountain incident, the would-be best game of the year went into another mediocre shooter. Without any interesting, funny or charismatic characters to relate to, the cliched and downright stupid storyline couldn't save the day either. The protagonist, Nomad, felt to me as just another generic, First half of this game was just awesome, but then things got a bit awry. After the alien mountain incident, the would-be best game of the year went into another mediocre shooter. Without any interesting, funny or charismatic characters to relate to, the cliched and downright stupid storyline couldn't save the day either. The protagonist, Nomad, felt to me as just another generic, faceless, videgame-hero with no personality. Expand
  27. JohnnyM
    Jan 10, 2008
    Crysis, the most anticipated game of the last couple of years. Was it worth the wait, well frankly the answer is no. Average graphics, dodgy AI, a story you couldn't care less about, gimmicks which have all been seen before (admittedly in slightly different form), way too easy and way too short. During the first half of the game I thought I'd gone back in time, and I was playingCrysis, the most anticipated game of the last couple of years. Was it worth the wait, well frankly the answer is no. Average graphics, dodgy AI, a story you couldn't care less about, gimmicks which have all been seen before (admittedly in slightly different form), way too easy and way too short. During the first half of the game I thought I'd gone back in time, and I was playing Far Cry again (which I have to say is a far better game, and parts of it are prettier). If you want a good shooter then try Bioshock, Stalker, HL2, Timeshift or Gears of War before this. Hopefully Far Cry 2 will be the game that Crysis was supposed to be. Expand
  28. Czar
    Jan 13, 2008
    Nice graphics that quickly wear off. Boring gameplay. Feels like a supermod for far cry. I got COD 4 at same time and that just blows crysis out of the water. VIsta and 8800gts 640MB is not going to give you a wicked game experience. Very dissapointed.
  29. EonfgeD.
    Jan 24, 2008
    It's overhyped game. everyone sais it's awesome, but besides the craphics it's notihing more then Farcry 2.0 Combat feels the same, and come on, how often will you trough someone through a wall? It's cool you can, but useless in terms of game-experience. I've played on low as well on high-end systems (crysis scale, so we couldn't get above 50 FPS) and unless It's overhyped game. everyone sais it's awesome, but besides the craphics it's notihing more then Farcry 2.0 Combat feels the same, and come on, how often will you trough someone through a wall? It's cool you can, but useless in terms of game-experience. I've played on low as well on high-end systems (crysis scale, so we couldn't get above 50 FPS) and unless you got one kickass pc, It all looks quite ugly. lot of anyoing blurs and in combat, your fps drops instandly with at least 10 fps. as said bevore, combat is oke, but not reinovating or extreamly challanging. O, and most people online are those pesty noobs who like to tell to others how great there pc is and how much is has cost, besides that, online is oke again, very farcry. Expand
  30. AdamA
    Aug 22, 2008
    One of the most beautiful games ever made. And the gameplay isn't too bad. Why the low rating? Because the game is so incredibly hard! I believe a game should be challenging, but I couldn't make it past the first level. My friend an avid FPS'er made it through, but agreed it was pretty difficult. It needs a better learning curve. Online play is similar, I felt like I was One of the most beautiful games ever made. And the gameplay isn't too bad. Why the low rating? Because the game is so incredibly hard! I believe a game should be challenging, but I couldn't make it past the first level. My friend an avid FPS'er made it through, but agreed it was pretty difficult. It needs a better learning curve. Online play is similar, I felt like I was dropped into a world way over my head. And more annoying, there were very few actually well-populated, compatible servers. Expand
  31. ShaunP.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Ok guys get this, da story was ok.. but i lost interest just before da game ended. Unfortunately Crytec/EA dont seem 2 know wat da setting 'HARD' should be like, i walked through da game in under 11hrs on 'HARD' while running on the following settings wit da next following rig: All high except shadows (low) and textures (medium) at 800/600 and no AA with a constant Ok guys get this, da story was ok.. but i lost interest just before da game ended. Unfortunately Crytec/EA dont seem 2 know wat da setting 'HARD' should be like, i walked through da game in under 11hrs on 'HARD' while running on the following settings wit da next following rig: All high except shadows (low) and textures (medium) at 800/600 and no AA with a constant 25-45fps on da most dated pc ever: AMD sempron 3000+ 1.8GHZ SKT 754, 1gig DDR400 Ram, XFX 7600GS 512MB AGPX8 OC'd from 400/532 to 580/900 on stock cooling. Now, u can call me a liar as much as u want, i couldnt care less, no loss der, da only part i had trouble at was...well cant seem 2 recall, mayby i didnt even hav a problem, wateva.. but still da game was WAY 2 short, just as i thought i was about 2 get in2 sum real shit-fights da game ended and 2 make matters worse it ended in a cliff hanger, i wanted 2 take my monitor and throw it 2 Germany i was so mad, i almost broke my $400055532535 mouse cause i was so pissed wen da credits rolled. i can believe i wasted 11hrs of my life fighting da KPA for 4hrs den da aliens for another 7. Oh and my rating was excluding da pooly (extremely poorly) executed sequences and da Z- grade voice acting (u'd tink dat dey'd be shouting "JUST DIE U SON OF A B.TCH!!!" not wispering it while pumping sum f'ed up alien wit 3 rockets a second (did i mention da messed up damage system Crysis uses). Oh and 1 tip, dont waste ur time sneaking up on da enemy every time, cause i came across sum wierd crap while approaching sum guys/teams/squads/patrols/orgies etc... Just ya, dont expect much gameplay out of dis, HL2 was way better wen it came 2 character developement. Well, i guess i'd better stop typing now, before i nail dis game so much i hav 2 lower its score again chz, n'd good luck caring bout DR Rosenburg as much as u did Alyx in HL2. Expand
  32. JimM.
    Dec 26, 2007
    If you have a sweet PC and are looking for a way to test its limits, this is the game to try. Everyone else can safely pass this one over. The story is terrible, the guns aren't really interesting, and the AI is horrific (you can run circles around enemies without taking a scratch at times). If you're looking for a deep single player first person shooter, pick up Bioshock over If you have a sweet PC and are looking for a way to test its limits, this is the game to try. Everyone else can safely pass this one over. The story is terrible, the guns aren't really interesting, and the AI is horrific (you can run circles around enemies without taking a scratch at times). If you're looking for a deep single player first person shooter, pick up Bioshock over this. Beat Bioshock? Playing through it again is better than the gameplay of Crysis. Expand
  33. JimB.
    Jul 11, 2008
    While the graphics are nice, the gameplay, plot, characters, etc. are completely derivative of any number of other FPS games. It's essentially the crytek version of half-life 2, replete with comely "scientist" and alien invasion--but make no mistake, it's not nearly as good. Sadly the gameplay become all the more linear as the game progressed (follow path, shoot aliens here), While the graphics are nice, the gameplay, plot, characters, etc. are completely derivative of any number of other FPS games. It's essentially the crytek version of half-life 2, replete with comely "scientist" and alien invasion--but make no mistake, it's not nearly as good. Sadly the gameplay become all the more linear as the game progressed (follow path, shoot aliens here), all the way to the end. Simply not compelling. Crytek makes a great engine, but someone else needs to build the racecar. Expand
  34. NathanV
    Dec 26, 2009
    Probably one of the most over-hyped games of the decade. I came in with huge expectations, and boy was I let down. The graphics wowed me for about 5 minutes, and then the repetitiveness of the game came through. Go here, kill these guys, go down the road, kill these guys, woah aliens, no gravity, kill these guys rinse and repeat. The gameplay is unoriginal and boring. If you like staring Probably one of the most over-hyped games of the decade. I came in with huge expectations, and boy was I let down. The graphics wowed me for about 5 minutes, and then the repetitiveness of the game came through. Go here, kill these guys, go down the road, kill these guys, woah aliens, no gravity, kill these guys rinse and repeat. The gameplay is unoriginal and boring. If you like staring at beautiful graphics, this is your game, if you prefer gameplay, give it a miss. I have had this game for months and I haven't played it since a few days after I bought it, simply for the fact that I was extremely bored with it after an hour. This game was a bit of a let down. There are redeeming qualities in the physics and graphics sector, but the gameplay is inexcusable. Expand
  35. Kungfucat
    Dec 29, 2009
    My real cote is 6.5, Yeah alright, this game has great graphics , i run it on very high with my 5870... Now the good aspects of this game : The AI is the best ive seen in ages, sometimes, too hard and the graphics are wonderfull .... Now the bad points: Okay, the nano suit give you strenght ability, but its not enough, and the invisibility can be detected very fast, for the maximum speed My real cote is 6.5, Yeah alright, this game has great graphics , i run it on very high with my 5870... Now the good aspects of this game : The AI is the best ive seen in ages, sometimes, too hard and the graphics are wonderfull .... Now the bad points: Okay, the nano suit give you strenght ability, but its not enough, and the invisibility can be detected very fast, for the maximum speed and armor, it does almost nothing. For those who say its a revolutionary gameplay i say not at all, for me, the gameplay of crysis is like a random shooter game. The developpers said that they were proud of their deep universe, of course its deep, but too deep, almost like ArmA or battlefield games, and its easy for a beginner on shooter games to get lost in that universe and the difficulty is huge, even if you played at easy, ive played on easy and Delta... Conclusion: This game as nothing special for me, its an random shooter game and very very very repetitive, its boring wen you play more than an hour and this game is more a benchmark for your video card than a game. Expand
  36. Jan 19, 2013
    Oh my, it's so fun to use this nanosuit! Oh my, it's so fun to have as wide levels as this! Oh my, it's so fun to play when cutscenes don't block the gameplay every other minute! Oh my, it's so fun to try to deal situations different ways! Oh my, it's so fun to listen to the music; it fits so well to the game! Oh my, the aliens completely ruin the fun!
  37. Sep 21, 2010
    Its a fairly good game for the most part. Its nice to look at and it has some good ideas behind it, but some of the missions are VERY frustrating, with checkpoints to far and few between. It looks good yes, and the whole adapt to your environment concept comes over very well. You can change the attachments on your gun to your needs, but the game does mention the enemies guns wont work wellIts a fairly good game for the most part. Its nice to look at and it has some good ideas behind it, but some of the missions are VERY frustrating, with checkpoints to far and few between. It looks good yes, and the whole adapt to your environment concept comes over very well. You can change the attachments on your gun to your needs, but the game does mention the enemies guns wont work well against the enemy...but the problem with that is the gun you have at the start wont last very long ammo wise and you will find yourself resorting to the enemies guns. It is worth checking out but keep in mind the game can get very frustrating quite often. Expand
  38. Feb 9, 2014
    Overrated. The story is uninteresting and somewhat confusing. The gameplay is totally average, you get a gun, shoot Koreans who are voiced by Americans. I mean, you guys really couldn't find Korean voice actors? The graphics are good, but the optimization is terrible. I'm playing this is in 2014 with a high end rig and the frames freeze and stutter all the time. It's just an average gameOverrated. The story is uninteresting and somewhat confusing. The gameplay is totally average, you get a gun, shoot Koreans who are voiced by Americans. I mean, you guys really couldn't find Korean voice actors? The graphics are good, but the optimization is terrible. I'm playing this is in 2014 with a high end rig and the frames freeze and stutter all the time. It's just an average game full of mainstream military bravado crap that I'm so tired of seeing in games. Expand
  39. May 15, 2012
    Stunning graphics and realistic combat are what shine in this game. However, nothing new in terms of gameplay. Fast-paced, but also very linear, therefore little opportunity for exploration. Also the player's character is too talkative in parts of the game. Overall, a good game if you're looking for a one-day playthrough filled with intense cinematic action.
  40. Jan 16, 2013
    Wow, the graphics! Otherwise, I was slightly disappointed, not a bad game, but hyped. The lack of realism was my main gripe, example: helicopters that just materialise right above you, take 3 anti-tank missiles to kill, and can find you as if wallhacking. I had some CTDs and other bugs. I did not like some parts, eg the old-school boss fights.
  41. Sep 26, 2016
    Прошел сейчас первый Crysis (сам не знаю зачем) - в общем-то не так ужасно, как я думал, крепкий среднячок баллов на 6/10. Правда на Win10 местами игра начинала жутко тормозить, а под конец стала крашиться каждые 3-4 минуты.

Плюсы: 1) Графон для своего времени действительно хорош. 2) Просторные локации и относительная свобода действий. 3) Можно валить деревья и кидаться черепахами.

Плюсы:
    1) Графон для своего времени действительно хорош.
    2) Просторные локации и относительная свобода действий.
    3) Можно валить деревья и кидаться черепахами.
    4) Играется не так уж плохо, хоть и есть свои недоработки.
    5) Саундтрек задает нужный настрой.
    6) Модификации оружия.

Минусы:
    1) Банальный сюжет, блеклые персонажи, тупые диалоги.
    2) Графические баги (скорей всего из-за проблем с совместимостью).
    3) Убогая физика: сбитые вертолеты танцуют брейк, а деревянный ящик вполне может вас убить, если вы подойдете слишком близко.
    4) Перегруженное управление на клавиатуре. Поддержка контроллера вроде бы есть, но часть действий на него нельзя повесить из-за недостатка кнопок (разработчики тупо не стали заморачиваться).
    5) Скачущая громкость.
    6) Один из четырех режимов брони практически бесполезен - пользовался им пару раз за всю игру, когда разработчики заставляли.
  42. Jul 7, 2012
    The graphics in Crysis are some of the best that I have ever seen. Run on a powerful engine, Crysis takes animation technology to new extremes. Gameplay? What Gameplay? Crysis+Gameplay does not compute.
  43. Sep 17, 2012
    changing weapons is confusing, some are exchanged whilst others are kept and some you cannot reload or hold spare ammo for and you're forced to dual wield if you pick up a second pistol for its ammo meaning you cannot use the iron sights anymore. Occasionally you are stripped of your weapons arbitrarily and have to reacquire your attatchments too. Parts of the map have holes you can fallchanging weapons is confusing, some are exchanged whilst others are kept and some you cannot reload or hold spare ammo for and you're forced to dual wield if you pick up a second pistol for its ammo meaning you cannot use the iron sights anymore. Occasionally you are stripped of your weapons arbitrarily and have to reacquire your attatchments too. Parts of the map have holes you can fall through and the final boss has several bugs that prevent the game from being completed at all. Expand
  44. Dec 8, 2012
    Usually I do not give 6 to this (sold out) genre of games, but Crysis is a very well done game. Graphics are great, probably the best ones (I think they're better than Crysis 2's ones). Plot is good, but not deep. Gameplay is NICE: at start I thought that it was Call of Duty-like, but it is really different and better: I especially like the fast-paced movements thanks to the Nano suit.Usually I do not give 6 to this (sold out) genre of games, but Crysis is a very well done game. Graphics are great, probably the best ones (I think they're better than Crysis 2's ones). Plot is good, but not deep. Gameplay is NICE: at start I thought that it was Call of Duty-like, but it is really different and better: I especially like the fast-paced movements thanks to the Nano suit. Multiplayer isn't that great and is not "open", but it's still funny. This is one of the (very) few, well done games of its genre (tactical FPS). Also, this is NOT a console port, but it was originally made for PC, and that's a very positive point. I'm very happy for that. If I had to rate only the graphics, I'd give it a 7, because it's really almost excellent. Expand
  45. Feb 24, 2014
    I had fun with this game. It seemed to be well made, the story was ok. The gameplay was fluent and visually it was pretty cool as well. It did have something valuable about it. Though it did not keep me entertained for very long. It could be me, because I am not very much into FPS. This one was the last one I actually played. I gave up on the genre afterwards. But it's hardly this game'sI had fun with this game. It seemed to be well made, the story was ok. The gameplay was fluent and visually it was pretty cool as well. It did have something valuable about it. Though it did not keep me entertained for very long. It could be me, because I am not very much into FPS. This one was the last one I actually played. I gave up on the genre afterwards. But it's hardly this game's fault. I think this game is ok. Expand
  46. Yanni
    Dec 3, 2007
    Weak and disappointing. Totally OVERHYPED. What game were all these "professional" reviewers playing. Clearly not the same one I paid 50 bucks for and finished in a few hours. I was stunned at how weak this thing was. The first half was a Far Cry clone, only not as exciting. But definitely the best part of the game. Then you're inside this mountain, and nothing happens. Its just like Weak and disappointing. Totally OVERHYPED. What game were all these "professional" reviewers playing. Clearly not the same one I paid 50 bucks for and finished in a few hours. I was stunned at how weak this thing was. The first half was a Far Cry clone, only not as exciting. But definitely the best part of the game. Then you're inside this mountain, and nothing happens. Its just like Prey, except pointless. You fly around in zero gravity, shoot things, then nothing happens. The end is in this frozen zone, you fight these aliens, its not bad initially, but then its SO repetitive, and eventually, it becomes massively BORING. There is no story. The nanosuit is mostly useless, as it runs out of power in 3 seconds. Waste of time and money. Terrible what passes as good these days. Expand
  47. BangalaM.
    Mar 28, 2008
    The Good: There are hundreds of different ways to solve a problem in this game. Although the world is not as open as in Far Cry, it gives you more ways to do what you have to do. I found myself reloading a lot of times just because i wanted to try a different way to attack a korean base, so there is a good replay value in this game. Oh, and the graphics look great. The Bad: The System The Good: There are hundreds of different ways to solve a problem in this game. Although the world is not as open as in Far Cry, it gives you more ways to do what you have to do. I found myself reloading a lot of times just because i wanted to try a different way to attack a korean base, so there is a good replay value in this game. Oh, and the graphics look great. The Bad: The System requirements are way too high, i guess because the engine is not very good. Don't get me wrong, it looks great if you have the hardware for it, but compared to other engines (Unreal Engine), the power need for it is not worth what you get. It's really not that difficult to make a good looking game, but it's difficult to optimize it so it runs smoothly - But this is what Crytek did not do. Well, anyways the game was fun for me, but i liked Bioshock and COD4 much more. Expand
  48. HenryM.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Great graphics, shame about the game play. This is the story of Crysis. Where is the immersion ? Sorry you can kid yourself all you like, but after the initial graphic awe there is nothing underneath. 1UP I thought gave a very honest review and didn't get caught by the hype. Crysis lacks gameplay depth and it becomes obvious very quickly. A shame.
  49. ThomasT.
    Nov 16, 2007
    The best looking game ever made - without a doubt. Then that's said. The gameplay, on the other hand, I didn't find that attractive or fun. It features huge open maps, instead of the classic linear routes from other FPS's, but I honestly think I prefer the linear routes. I find myself using a lot of time just running around to get to the next "checkpoint", and while the The best looking game ever made - without a doubt. Then that's said. The gameplay, on the other hand, I didn't find that attractive or fun. It features huge open maps, instead of the classic linear routes from other FPS's, but I honestly think I prefer the linear routes. I find myself using a lot of time just running around to get to the next "checkpoint", and while the jungle looks amazing, it gets quite old quickly. The game's big gameplay apeal is the nanosuit. Now, don't be fooled by the amazing gameplay vides you've seen, because the actual game isn't that way at all. Al your powers are (greatly) limited by a power bar. Which means "Maximum Speed" only makes you sprint about 10 meters before running low, which in fact is worse than other games with a standard stamina bar for sprinting. The "Maximum Strength" is usually only used to get past certain obstacles that you either need to smash into pieces or make a super jump over. You would think it would be awesome to smash enemies in melee, but you walk terribly slow when you aren't using maximum speed. Some would say "hey just use speed to get to them and then switch to strength!" Yes, that sounds good on the paper, but in actuality it takes about a second t switch powers, and by the time you get to him, your power bar is low, so you cant punch him. The nanosuit was a great idea, but could be implemented a lot better. The shooting in the game also seems ankward. Most weapons are surprisingly unprecise and enemies can take a huge amount of bullets before dropping dead. The AI and physics system is also below standard. The enemies sometimes behave strangly and some times you'll get frustrating by the fact that they seem to be able to see and shoot you through vegatation - even from miles away. The first part of the game takes place in an ordinary jungle, but afterwards, we get enclosed in small, boring, uninspired corridors. The developers should really have deleted this part or reworked it. It was just not fun to play. When we get out agian, it's time for the frozen paradise, which Crytek hsa bragged about for months, and I have to say they had the right to brag. With all this said, Crysis isn't a terribly game. It's above the average shooter, but could easily become so much more with a few more months of development time, but EA is known for pushing deadlines before christmas. Expand
  50. Phil
    Dec 4, 2007
    I played this game for a few hours at home then went out to buy some groceries. On the way to the store I caught myself thinking "wow, life really has great graphics. Check out those mean volumetric lighting effects!" I have a decent system but still struggle with even medium-high settings. Gameplay bites. Also, that part where you waft around that alien disco taking potshots at shiny I played this game for a few hours at home then went out to buy some groceries. On the way to the store I caught myself thinking "wow, life really has great graphics. Check out those mean volumetric lighting effects!" I have a decent system but still struggle with even medium-high settings. Gameplay bites. Also, that part where you waft around that alien disco taking potshots at shiny squids was really lame. Still, nice graphics, almost as good as real life. I'm going to go outside now. Expand
  51. JamesBlackwell
    Dec 30, 2008
    I purchased this game based upon the publicly available demo. This game is beautiful, and has a intuitive interface that makes switching between powerups (such as extra strength or extra shields) easy. The game is not very tolerant of poor decisions. If you run into big mob and try shooting your way out, then you'll be quick-loading shortly. As such, this game requires a bit ofI purchased this game based upon the publicly available demo. This game is beautiful, and has a intuitive interface that makes switching between powerups (such as extra strength or extra shields) easy. The game is not very tolerant of poor decisions. If you run into big mob and try shooting your way out, then you'll be quick-loading shortly. As such, this game requires a bit of strategy on your part to succeed in the game. On the downside, the game crashes often and suffers from numerous smaller glitches. The game is worth it if you don't mind restarting the game often. Otherwise, you'd be better off waiting until Crytek makes a more reliable product. Expand
  52. JohnE.
    Aug 9, 2008
    Extremely linear, short, and poorly written storyline pulling from every bad 'alien's vs. mankind' cliche commonly used in FPS plots. The graphics are the only thing that I will remember about this game in a month. I just finished the single player story and will never play it again. What a testament to the state of PC gaming when this mediocre technology showcase is Extremely linear, short, and poorly written storyline pulling from every bad 'alien's vs. mankind' cliche commonly used in FPS plots. The graphics are the only thing that I will remember about this game in a month. I just finished the single player story and will never play it again. What a testament to the state of PC gaming when this mediocre technology showcase is considered exciting. I feel sorry for anyone who upgraded even their RAM for this half baked rip off. Expand
  53. WillC.
    Feb 2, 2010
    When comparing this game to other FPS's I would rate this at no more then a 7. My reason is simple, the key component to a good FPS is the story line, and continual action packed game play. Although this game had plenty of action, the way it was delivered is the deepest disappointment, when I say disappointment I mean repetitive scenarios. Once you have completed one mission you have When comparing this game to other FPS's I would rate this at no more then a 7. My reason is simple, the key component to a good FPS is the story line, and continual action packed game play. Although this game had plenty of action, the way it was delivered is the deepest disappointment, when I say disappointment I mean repetitive scenarios. Once you have completed one mission you have for the most part completed them all. Even with the occasional twist this still leaves the story lacking in luster. Early on the player gets the feeling that this game evolves around this elite soldier and his technologically advanced suit. That sounds exciting until you get further into the story and find out that the common enemy takes as much damage as you do, the only advantage this super suit from the future really gives you is the ability to heal, blend in with the environment, jump higher and run faster. That's fine and dandy but makes no difference when being chased by a gun ship and fighting off enemy's that just don't die. Some readers call that a challenge I call it the theft of re-playability that strangles the life out of the fun factor. Great physics and awesome graphics are the true structural integrity that holds this game together, with out these two crucial parts this game would have fallen apart miserably. You may wonder after bashing this game like I have, why would I give it a 7? Well anyone who knows video games and how much work goes into them would not be so quick to give them a bad rating. This game was well constructed besides the lack of good story not terrible just not good, and after the major hype put out by the publisher, I found that this game was a bit to mediocre. So a 7 I feel is just. Expand
  54. Tech
    Nov 15, 2007
    + Stunning Graphics and Effects + Fun and different game play + Fun and Exciting Storyline + Customize your weapons to fit your style - Some areas seemed badly optimized lowering your FPS greatly - LOD was terrible at certain areas such as mines popping up when you're right close to it - Some areas were hard and confusing.
  55. AdamH.
    Nov 17, 2007
    This game is badly designed for mid-range systems. The developers obviously think that everyone in the world can afford 8800GTs. I by no means have a bad system. I have an AMD Athlon X2 4800+, 8600GT OC and 4GB of DDRII RAM. What's going on crytek? I had to finish off the last part of the game in all low at 1024x768 - wtf? I did spend big bucks getting a system that SHOULD be able to This game is badly designed for mid-range systems. The developers obviously think that everyone in the world can afford 8800GTs. I by no means have a bad system. I have an AMD Athlon X2 4800+, 8600GT OC and 4GB of DDRII RAM. What's going on crytek? I had to finish off the last part of the game in all low at 1024x768 - wtf? I did spend big bucks getting a system that SHOULD be able to handle the graphics. I think that they should have put more thought into making the graphics, physics, etc more efficient so they aren't so demanding on PCs. That said, even the story leaves much to the imagination. The korean part was awesome, very believeable. Up until I walked into the mine near the end of the game the story was fantastic. Then the game became one mass of crap. I have never seen something that looks so bland and unexciting. Crytek, shame on you for hyping everyone up and not delevering a FANTASTIC game, cause that's what you promised, not a just above average FPS! Expand
  56. DanielS.
    Nov 21, 2007
    yup, the game looks great... most sound effects are cool. you can clearly locate sound positions and distances (different sounds for different distances, similar to half-life 2, very atmospheric). i literally "ducked" a couple of times when a grenade went off next to me. i also cannot confirm what some people wrote about the AI. compared to most other games out there the AI is pretty yup, the game looks great... most sound effects are cool. you can clearly locate sound positions and distances (different sounds for different distances, similar to half-life 2, very atmospheric). i literally "ducked" a couple of times when a grenade went off next to me. i also cannot confirm what some people wrote about the AI. compared to most other games out there the AI is pretty amazing. they CANNOT see you through foliage as some said. they will however shoot at points where they suspect you to be. some also complain that enemies take to many bullets. many of the soldiers you face wear kevlar. you can kill every soldier in this game with ONE aimed headshot, unless they are wearing a helmet, in which case you need to hit their face or neck. bullet penetration is also dependent on what kind of weapon you use, wether you use a silencer and, most of all, distance to target. animations are also very nice. smooth motion capture with convincing transitions. enemies jump over fences, dive for cover, jerk in surprise when you suddenly appear before them, etc. it all ties together to create a really tight atmosphere. so you have: - awesome graphics (merely good if you have a normal pc) - great sound - convincing AI (most of the time) - destructible huts and palm trees - choice how to play the game (due to the nanosuit) - nonlinear maps with a certain amount of freedom - very cool effects (i.e. shock waves from grenades make trees sway or break) so why only give it a 7? it seems crytek was so busy constructing the basic frame of the game that they somewhat forgot about the game itself. what i mean is i finished this game in about 15 hours. less than half the time i spent with farcry. and i played it on "cadet" (hardest difficulty) and took my sweet time too. this doesn't really help the fact that the "ending", if you want to call it that, is totally disappointing. it's not only an "open" ending, it's really closer to being a "cliffhanger". the aliens appear and the island freezes (as advertised so many times by crytek beforehand) and then...the game is over. no surprises, no resolution, no feeling of achievement. nothing. farcry's story may have been flat and unimaginative, but at least it had a conclusion! the characters are all made up of boring clichés. they even threw in a female "alex-wannabe" character who instead of somewhat charming (like hl2's alex) is simply annoying. after finishing the game i just couldn't shake the feeling that a huge amount of this engine's potential has gone to waste. you never even get to fly a helicopter, even though it is implemented and possible. there's very little to no close quater combat. and where is the advertised "fighting next to the korean army against the alien race"? Expand
  57. JonasLindberg
    Nov 20, 2007
    Spoilers ahead.

Spoilers ahead.

Sure, noone (with the right hardware atleast) can complain on the graphics in crysis. But the rest of the experience frustrated me so much that its been disturbing my sleep since i finished the single player campaign. I close my eyes and think about what the h*ll happened. I longed for this game so much like everyone else. When i first jumped in i was excited and tried to kill off koreans in fancy ways until i realised all i had to to was shoot-take cover-stealth-repeat. This made me use maximum speed through the bushes and palmtrees whenever i could just to get to the next checkpoint to see if it would get better. It didnt. It got tons of worse. After the koreans came the koreans in nanosuits, you could especially tell they were koreans since they had the same behaviour as their comrades without the fancy suit. The following tankdriving and shooting was nothing special. Beautiful interiors of the alien mothership completely ruined by predatorlookalike aliens. I was happy when i finally get out of there to see the frozen jungle. Had looked forward to that. When i got out of the snowy weather and starting to drive away from the bubble i got really worried. And not without reason. Only thing left in the game was some flying through valleys and some running about at the carrier. That hunterboss on the ship looked kickass but was a complete letdown like everything else. And the bigger spaceshipfight defied all logic. How could that not blow the carrier out of the sea? Holy crap, i have not been this dissapointed for a long time.
    5 points for graphical achievements.
    Final words, stay away.
  58. kyleb2112
    Nov 27, 2007
    Hugely overrated. Many reviewers are putting this up there with the Half-Life's and Bioshock. No freakin' way. It's got a paper thin plot, no character development, crappy, slow vehicles, and horribly faked enemy accents. And NO LEVEL BOSSES! This is a generic shooter with pretty plants and should be ranked in the low 80s.
  59. MarioP.
    Nov 30, 2007
    I just finished it..I am a bit disapointed...Great graphics but something is missing ...especially at the end.
  60. AlessandroB.
    Dec 31, 2007
    Crysis is a good base for a game, and i tend to agree with those that consider it just a showcase for Crytek engine. The first part of the game is mostly ok and challenging, the "alien" part is plain boring, and the final part plays as an insipid prelude to what should have been the rest of the game, and that reveals instead to be Crysis 2... It took me just a few days of not so intense Crysis is a good base for a game, and i tend to agree with those that consider it just a showcase for Crytek engine. The first part of the game is mostly ok and challenging, the "alien" part is plain boring, and the final part plays as an insipid prelude to what should have been the rest of the game, and that reveals instead to be Crysis 2... It took me just a few days of not so intense gaming to finish it (and at Delta level nontheless). I'd recommend putting your money elsewhere. Expand
  61. HigaaA.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Fun game until you enter a cave and the game completely changes...I wanna shoot more people not alians!!! the level design after entering the cave could not be worse/confusing and it totally spoiled the game for me. Real shame
  62. JonJ.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Only rating the multiplayer, I haven't played much of the single-player yet. This game has a lot of potential and there's a good base game here. The raw deathmatch mode (free for all) is actually one of the best FFA deathmatch experiences ever in FPS games and this was not realized in any reviews I read unfortunately. The weapons feel and work well. There are no show-stopping Only rating the multiplayer, I haven't played much of the single-player yet. This game has a lot of potential and there's a good base game here. The raw deathmatch mode (free for all) is actually one of the best FFA deathmatch experiences ever in FPS games and this was not realized in any reviews I read unfortunately. The weapons feel and work well. There are no show-stopping bugs but many slightly annoying small bugs. Unfortunately, raw DM gets tiresome for me after a while. A team DM mode and some other DM modes would be very welcome in the default game but very unfortunately were not included. The other multi-player mode, Power Struggle, is a nice attempt and works, however it feels incomplete. The biosuit I feel enhances both DM and Power Struggle. It does seem to drain quickly so that combining different suit functions doesn't work without good planning. There are no multiplayer squad functions like BF2/2142 and that is unfortunate. There are moments (like when the APC fires its missles!) when Crysis feels like a BF2 killer, but more often it feels that the Battlefield 2 series outshines Crysis where it counts in overall gameplay. The flying helicopter things look ugly and fly awkwardly but the other vehicles are nice. I like the vehicle/weapon/item purchasing system. The rain and weather effects are great. The explosions and sounds are great including the small nuke. The immersive, beautiful and reasonably large environments are welcome, unlike CoD4's tiny maps. Without a doubt, the primary focus of Crysis was the single player experience while multiplayer was not finished. They need to release a multiplayer expansion so very much because the direction they were headed is something I want - a Battlefield 2 killer. One of the important things for a online multiplayer FPS game is how it feels as it plays and Crysis feels responsive and reasonably smooth with minimal jerky movement of other players as they walk and move about the map (better in my opinion than CoD4 and TF2 but not as good as BF2 or BF2142). On a good server, your game won't play jerky or laggy. One nice touch is how if you try to rotate your tank turret it will bump into things if they block it - nice touch. I played it in DX9 mode, but not DX10 because of the high requirements (I have a nVidia 8800GTS 320MB with 3GB of RAM and both XP/Vista). While potentially the best online FPS of 2007, Crysis multiplayer is a bit of a disappointment because of bugs and its incompleteness. It made the holiday season release, but missed my favorite online FPS games list. That might change as patches and/or mods come out. Fingers crossed. I'm still hoping this game comes to fruition. This game was hyped a lot and I feel that the hype was not justified based on the overall multiplayer experience. If you like raw DM free-for-all, then Crysis delivers well. Expand
  63. [anonymous]
    Apr 13, 2008
    It's a mediocre shooter. Gameplay-wise there's nothing at all special about it. The suit powers are a slightly different implementation of something we've seen in a dozen games before, and are poorly implemented at that. Any game that has three 100% reviews paid for em, and that oughta tell you all you need to know. It's like that hot girl at the bar that everyone It's a mediocre shooter. Gameplay-wise there's nothing at all special about it. The suit powers are a slightly different implementation of something we've seen in a dozen games before, and are poorly implemented at that. Any game that has three 100% reviews paid for em, and that oughta tell you all you need to know. It's like that hot girl at the bar that everyone always thinks is drunk because she's so damn stupid. Sure she's pretty, and half the guys in the bar would give anything to get with her... but the other half would sooner hit her with a shovel. AI is decent, but ridiculous at once. Stealth is worthless, enemies see you from a mile away through thick jungle. Expand
  64. AaronC.
    Aug 28, 2008
    A beautiful and versatile game that can be played successfully using a variety of strategies from tank to sniper. A truly excellent game up until one specific, clearly definable, point. Then it just gets stupid. The storyline during the second half of Crysis, and especially the final battle, could have been copied verbatim from any alien invasion arcade side-scroller.
  65. Ian
    Oct 19, 2009
    I think this game is way over-hyped. I agree that the Visuals are great but i think that's the only thing the game really has going for it. The story is weak, and most people can't even run the thing, because it's so demanding.
  66. DanHouser
    Feb 28, 2009
    You know, it's not what I thought it'd be. Nice graphics, good story, everything's intact but... I just can't seem to have fun while I'm playing it. It's just not fun. I love FPS, but this is just not at all fun to play. HL2, L4D, Far Cry 1 even was better than this by a mile. Overal, a very average game when it comes to the game itself.
  67. SteveB
    Mar 27, 2010
    Obviously the graphics are brilliant. The plot is reasonably good as well and the story line is also pretty good until the trip inside the mountain/encounter with the alien nest. What I can't believe is that none of the other reviewers have thought it worthwhile to point out that the endi of the game is easily the single most buggy piece of gaming software produced/launched in Obviously the graphics are brilliant. The plot is reasonably good as well and the story line is also pretty good until the trip inside the mountain/encounter with the alien nest. What I can't believe is that none of the other reviewers have thought it worthwhile to point out that the endi of the game is easily the single most buggy piece of gaming software produced/launched in history. Easily the worst I've ever encountered in my life. I thought there must be something wrong with my high-end PC after so many clipping issues etc... until I searched on-line and discovered that my experience was par for the course. It appears that most of these reviewers who rated the game so highly have not actually played thru to the end. All-in-all an EXTREME let down to an otherwise stellar game. Expand
  68. CannonFodder
    Nov 12, 2007
    Far Cry ... I mean Crysis has already been made and played in the 100 other FPS'ers out there. If you don't have a top of the line computer don't plan on being impressed by the graphics. Anyway, I only gave it a 5 and not lower because I loved Far Cry and this game is pretty much the same game (except for the exploding trees).
  69. KrisP.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Mediocre gameplay, bland story and awfull system requirements. Sure, looks pretty on a highspec system, bu does not scale down well at all.
  70. ChristopherH.
    Nov 17, 2007
    A decent blast, but very much over-hyped. While the graphics are good (if you have the near-criminal hardware requirement), the gameplay is average.
  71. Airiak
    Nov 17, 2007
    The graphics are amazing, but the game play is no different than any other FPS released over the last couple of years. Is anyone else getting tired of playing the same game just repackaged and sold as something else?
  72. JamesR.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Looks nice, but other than that it's a generic shooter with a couple of interesting features that are badly implemented. While this game has the graphics and at times the intensity, it lacks depth, a story, and often ends up feeling repetitive as the open-ended areas feel more like the developers being too lazy to pace it out properly. Although the game was obviously rushed, I Looks nice, but other than that it's a generic shooter with a couple of interesting features that are badly implemented. While this game has the graphics and at times the intensity, it lacks depth, a story, and often ends up feeling repetitive as the open-ended areas feel more like the developers being too lazy to pace it out properly. Although the game was obviously rushed, I struggle to imagine what could possibly have prompted such a pathetic ending, which kicks you out of the game just as it looks like it's about to get interesting. Overall I say don't believe the hype. This game is fun but it gets boring very fast. The only thing that stops you from regretting buying it is the awesome map editor it comes with. Expand
  73. JamesH.
    Nov 19, 2007
    A worthy sequel without a doubt. Some are calling this the best looking game, but I disagree. The graphics are fantastic but it doesn't surpass Oblivion, except for character models which are excellent. The gameplay is a little too similar to Farcry - jungle setting, campy AI dialogue (I find you! You pray for death!) and inconsistent AI ability. I agree with one comment that the A worthy sequel without a doubt. Some are calling this the best looking game, but I disagree. The graphics are fantastic but it doesn't surpass Oblivion, except for character models which are excellent. The gameplay is a little too similar to Farcry - jungle setting, campy AI dialogue (I find you! You pray for death!) and inconsistent AI ability. I agree with one comment that the combatants seem a bit too clairvoyant sometimes and can spot and shoot you through thick brush from 100 meters away, but can't seem to find you on the other side of a building. The nanosuit is innovative, but frustrating. The speed boost is perplexingly short and the inadequate amount of charge the suit has makes multitasking with the suit enhancements impossible. The disadvantages implemented for certain advantages are nonsensical. Silencing a weapon makes it ridiculously impotent and is hardly realistic. Running the game is a challenge as well, but the flexibility of the video settings can make for a playable mode for a decent system. For my FX55, 2GB RAM, 8800GTS I run at 1600x1200, no AA, all medium settings and manage only about 15-30 FPS. Running AA at any resolution greatly reduces the framerate. But overall, this game is very addictive and worth the buy, especially considering the rarity of non-linear shooters. Expand
  74. MarkW.
    Nov 19, 2007
    You cannot deny it, Crysis has by far the best graphics of any game to date. With that said, it misses out the key part of a game, story and gameplay. The gameplay is repetative, even halo-esque. Max Speed. Shoot. Melee. Armour. Max Speed. Shoot. Melee. The story has more twist that a M. Night Shamalan film. Back to graphics, despite being amazing to look at, its not what it was once You cannot deny it, Crysis has by far the best graphics of any game to date. With that said, it misses out the key part of a game, story and gameplay. The gameplay is repetative, even halo-esque. Max Speed. Shoot. Melee. Armour. Max Speed. Shoot. Melee. The story has more twist that a M. Night Shamalan film. Back to graphics, despite being amazing to look at, its not what it was once advertised to be, far from it infact and upcoming games like Haze and Uncharted: Drakes go beyond it. A real letdown, but what did you expect? It is EA. Expand
  75. PerryG.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Awesome graphics(provided you have a $3000.00+ SLI based system to run it, which sadly I don't). Other than that, there is nothing about this FPS that hasn't been done before, and done better.
  76. Bjorn
    Nov 25, 2007
    Just massive overhype. As many of the other reviewers said, its pretty, but EVERYTHING else is just plain wrong or bad. The gameplay is lousy, the story is non existent, and there are so many blatant ripoffs of other games in it, that its basically nothing but a showcase for CryTek's artiistic flair. What a colossal waste of 50 bucks and a major disappointment after the massive HYPE!!
  77. Jas
    Nov 26, 2007
    As a all time shooter player & graphic designer, I expecting a lot from the game over the reviews and the overated score , but it was rather disappointed, I cant deny that the graphic & user interface are well designed but personally I think its should be focus more on the game level as well, conclusion: the game is juzt not as 'mature' as it looks on the cover.
  78. AlbertI.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Had big expectations for this game, but i got very disappointed when i saw the gameplay, the marines has to much health. i just got a new laptop with 4 gb ram, 8600M GT grafic card and 2.2 Ghz i still cant run it on higest, on middle i can play a litlle lag.
  79. LeonardoA.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Well, look at my machine: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz on each core, Nvidia GEforce 8800 GTX 768 MB DDR3, 2 GB RAM PC-2 DDR2 667 MHz. An computer with this equioement can play Crysis in the full graphics and more. But, the game sucks in using the DirectX 10, small but a lot of lags, lags, lags. Lags everywere! Everytime! Crytek spend more time in developing a powerful engine than a Well, look at my machine: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz on each core, Nvidia GEforce 8800 GTX 768 MB DDR3, 2 GB RAM PC-2 DDR2 667 MHz. An computer with this equioement can play Crysis in the full graphics and more. But, the game sucks in using the DirectX 10, small but a lot of lags, lags, lags. Lags everywere! Everytime! Crytek spend more time in developing a powerful engine than a practic and sweet engine. And the goddamn GEforce 8800 GTX is the best vido card avaiable in stores for now, and its a lot expensive. Their job is to make an acessible game, not a rich-playboy software. I spent one entire year trying to get the money necessary to buy the video card, and now appears a game that makes that same card looks like a piece of crap. The game itself is good, variety of equipement, gameplay and others.I know that isn't the graphics that makes the game, but it's really dissapointing the performance of the new Crytek's engine. And about Crytek, they think that Crysis is the best game of year, that's nor true. Bioshock and Medal of Honor Airborne, in my point of view, are better than Crysis.Crytek shoud think about it, because life isn't the way they think that it is. Expand
  80. FareedD.
    Jan 15, 2008
    Those who are unaffected by the massive hype surrounding the release of this supposed photo-realistic game will probably see Crysis as a rehash of old, tried and tested but now boring gameplay mixed with a graphics engine that looks nice but seems to have completely missed the point that the graphics are there to assist the gameplay, not the other way around.
  81. NickF.
    Jan 29, 2008
    As far as gameplay is concerned Crysis is just another shooter, it doesn't bring many new features to the FPS genre. I find a major annoyance with this game, however. My system is far from high-end and the fact that you need a ridiculously expensive rig to play it as it was intended is a point that has been made to death and by far too many people. My problem is not that I can't As far as gameplay is concerned Crysis is just another shooter, it doesn't bring many new features to the FPS genre. I find a major annoyance with this game, however. My system is far from high-end and the fact that you need a ridiculously expensive rig to play it as it was intended is a point that has been made to death and by far too many people. My problem is not that I can't run it on high settings, but that medium settings look awful. Some of the textures look really poor but the worst thing for me is the insane amount of aliasing. Jaggies really spoil games for me and Crysis is full of them unless you have the hardware to turn AA on. Additionally, it gives me an average framerate only of around 20fps. Now, I'm not just complaining because someone made a game that I can't play as it was meant to be played, but i know that my PC is capable of more than this. I can run COD4 with all the graphics settings cranked up to full and it runs like a dream and looks beautiful, averaging about 45fps. My point is: Crysis is a very lazily made game and it feels like I'm playing a beta, it could really do with some optimising. Expand
  82. JackO.
    Feb 24, 2008
    A well-hyped disappointment. Take FarCry, copy, dilute with equal measures of plagiarised art material from The Matrix and Alien, fail to playtest, resulting in frustrating combat, buggy physics and AI that frequently just run into walls, add a fairly nice system of suit and weapon modifications and some beautifully designed island and military environments. Cook for around six hours, A well-hyped disappointment. Take FarCry, copy, dilute with equal measures of plagiarised art material from The Matrix and Alien, fail to playtest, resulting in frustrating combat, buggy physics and AI that frequently just run into walls, add a fairly nice system of suit and weapon modifications and some beautifully designed island and military environments. Cook for around six hours, then leave to marinade in a bucket of derivative, boring and cliched sci-fi action that would shame the 1980s. Add some fairly pretty graphics to taste, wasted on a visually and artistically uninspiring game, bad animation, dialogue seemingly written by a 13 year old US Marine with attention deficit disorder,and serve. Crysis. A flawed, wasted opportunity, thriving on it's own marketing and the cash of the easily impressed masses. Critically, this game should be a flop, which shows just how much clout Electronic Arts have with the gaming media, once again. Expand
  83. Nathan
    Jun 19, 2009
    I can run this game fine on highest settings, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I was wowed at it for about 30 minutes. Unfortunately after the wow factor went away and I concentrated on gameplay I was disappointed. I find this game is way over hyped. It follows the mundane shoot-kill-repeat linear style the whole time. The AI is extremely good, almost too good at some points, easy should probably be I can run this game fine on highest settings, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I was wowed at it for about 30 minutes. Unfortunately after the wow factor went away and I concentrated on gameplay I was disappointed. I find this game is way over hyped. It follows the mundane shoot-kill-repeat linear style the whole time. The AI is extremely good, almost too good at some points, easy should probably be easier. And damage reflection in this game is ridiculous. Don't even TRY shooting from long range unless you have a sniper rifle, note to Crytek: I don't care that I'm using a regular rifle, a dozen shots to the head will kill anyone from any distance. The suit adds a nice element of strategy to the otherwise repetitive gameplay. But the mechanic of go here, get ambushed twice on the way, break through a checkpoint, get into enemy base, get X information, destroy X gets EXTREMELY boring after about the second time through. Overall the graphics keep this things head above water for me, but I was disappointed by the repetitive nature of the missions and non-compelling lackluster storyline. Expand
  84. meestyk
    Nov 14, 2007
    You can't even dl the demo to try it out. For unknown reasons, I could not dl it from the source given by the official site. It keeps dropping 1/4 of the way, which sucks. Perhaps there is another dl source out there. 5 for giving only 1 source to dl which in my case impossible to play.
  85. ElJot
    Nov 17, 2007
    Great game to watch, much worse to play. Yeah, graphics are stunning and sound is perfect, but excuse me, where is all that fun we had playing HL2? Why enemies are still running around after taking 3 shots from shotgun at the chest from close distance? Why they can see you from like 1 km, while you are hiding in deep forest? Some people say that reality is big advantege of Crysis, so for Great game to watch, much worse to play. Yeah, graphics are stunning and sound is perfect, but excuse me, where is all that fun we had playing HL2? Why enemies are still running around after taking 3 shots from shotgun at the chest from close distance? Why they can see you from like 1 km, while you are hiding in deep forest? Some people say that reality is big advantege of Crysis, so for example the precision while bursting is very low. Great, but in my opinion game should be fun at first...(and if reality is such a big factor, then why we can shoot while driving or swimming by boat?) Fighting is quite hard as the enemies hit you almost always they shoot (even while bursting) (but that can just be me), the is too little ammo to find, and features of the suit are much overrated. Maybe if I haven't had such high hopes for this title, I wouldn't be dissapointed as I am now. Expand
  86. MikoS.
    Nov 19, 2007
    The destructive environments are a nice gimmick. The incredibly limited nanosuit powers are a mediocre gimmick. Apart from that, Crysis is essentially Just Another Shooter, and not that great of one. Unarmored enemies shrugging off half a dozen assault rifle rounds is particularly annoying, as is their sporadic X-Ray vision. On the one hand, it's still kind of fun. On the other, The destructive environments are a nice gimmick. The incredibly limited nanosuit powers are a mediocre gimmick. Apart from that, Crysis is essentially Just Another Shooter, and not that great of one. Unarmored enemies shrugging off half a dozen assault rifle rounds is particularly annoying, as is their sporadic X-Ray vision. On the one hand, it's still kind of fun. On the other, it's nothing we haven't seen before and not really worth your time unless you're gagging for another bog-standard shooter. So, a 5 sounds about right. Expand
  87. Dan
    Nov 21, 2007
    After all the HYPE and NOISE, this game left me Underwhelmed. Loved Far Cry, and this one takes many cues that our Crytek friends did successfully there. But this game is just plain boring. I have a mega gamer rig (8800s in SLI, 3.3 Ghz AMD), plenty of horsepower. But the game play is simply annoying. The first part was pretty decent, but it was clearly Far Cry 2. Nearly everything was After all the HYPE and NOISE, this game left me Underwhelmed. Loved Far Cry, and this one takes many cues that our Crytek friends did successfully there. But this game is just plain boring. I have a mega gamer rig (8800s in SLI, 3.3 Ghz AMD), plenty of horsepower. But the game play is simply annoying. The first part was pretty decent, but it was clearly Far Cry 2. Nearly everything was the same. The mid section, inside the mountain was ok, but it was a blatant ripoff of Prey, from the textures, to the floating around, to the general action. The third part, with the snow and ice, is decent, but the game play is plain annoying. Those stupid alien thingies are just plain ridiculous. I love lots of enemies (loved painkiller!), but these blue things are just plain dumb. You can't kill them, the weapons all stink, and the old nanosuit is useless. I was psyched all year for this game to come out, and now, I'm downright let down. I guess everyone see something I don't see. Expand
  88. RossL.
    Nov 22, 2007
    I found the first two thirds of this game involving and satisfying, and beginning to learn how to milk the best from the weapons and nanosuit makes you feel genuinely invincible at times. I would consider myself a skilled player and am not finding delta setting too hard (having completed on Hard) so I think Crytek have gone for a good difficulty balance - there are few 'throw I found the first two thirds of this game involving and satisfying, and beginning to learn how to milk the best from the weapons and nanosuit makes you feel genuinely invincible at times. I would consider myself a skilled player and am not finding delta setting too hard (having completed on Hard) so I think Crytek have gone for a good difficulty balance - there are few 'throw eveything at you' moments in this one. I like the guns, I like the explosions and hell I even like the graphics (set on low due to my poor little CPU). Getting to take out bad guys with AA guns is pretty rock and roll too. The wide-open levels mean you can take set-pieces in manby ways, sniping enemies at distance, or stealthing in behind them and chucking a grenade into the midst. There's plenty of raw flying-lead action, though the adrenaline level will vary hugely dependent on how you choose to play the game. But then, something odd happens.. Suddenly and inexplicably in the last third of the game, the fun literally plummets away in a matter of moments.... from challenging, interactive and intellectually rewarding gameplay, you are plunged into the most deadening, challengeless drudgery imaginable. Take the 'spaceship' sequence from 'prey' and make it even longer, more boring and confusing and you are there. The scenery does change, and there are one or two more decent gun battles, but by this time the damage is done - crytek have decided that the last few parts of the game will involve playing the game from vehicles that only a robin reliant owner would find exciting, and your enemies are now drab, idiotic aliens that, in indoor environments will pretty much sit there and let you shoot them (yes even on Hard). The tactics, excellent enemy AI and mixture of stealth and frenetic blasting is finally replaced by a linear walk-and-shotgun affair with an ending that feels like a 3D representation of something I played on the Commodore 64 about 20 years ago. And I'm not talking Chuckie Egg or something good - we're talking free-with-the-computer level. Of course I had to get my moneysworth and finish the damn thing, which after a few tries and a fair bit of boredom later, was all done, the ending sequence doing little more than using a cliche to set us up for Crysis 2. The first part of the game lives up to the promises, its just a shame Crytek didnt sack whoever thought the part of the game was a good idea. Hopefully the patch will fix a dew bugs and make the graphics smoother, and there is definitely replay value in the earlier levels - but this IS NOT the world-beating mega-game that we have been marketed so carefully for the last go knows how long. Expand
  89. Denis
    Nov 27, 2007
    Graphics are not bad, but I was expecting better. Gameplay is.. well FPS. Story is mediocre, no replay value from my point of view. Bug at the end that dosnt let me kill the boss monster, and dissapointed that overall it was quite a short experiance considering this game isnt one of the "for console" games.
  90. Matt'92
    Dec 15, 2007
    Great Graphics, good gameplay, but there's nothing more. Bioshock is the best, shove the rest
  91. JoshW.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Half-graphics, half gameplay. Gameplay sucks. 5/10.
  92. Nov 24, 2010
    When a bot does a prone & then crawls the animation looked like Michael Jackson's moon walk, except it's moon crawling, it shifted suddenly a frame or 2 too fast on that one, like a video being fast forward when crawling along the banks of a stream, it would be very dumb to fire a sniper shoot at the bot then, because it won't be effective most of the time as it's seen/seem as a bug.When a bot does a prone & then crawls the animation looked like Michael Jackson's moon walk, except it's moon crawling, it shifted suddenly a frame or 2 too fast on that one, like a video being fast forward when crawling along the banks of a stream, it would be very dumb to fire a sniper shoot at the bot then, because it won't be effective most of the time as it's seen/seem as a bug. Playing the difficulty Hard, prone on a big & mostly flat rock with an elevation 3 to 4m above those 20 to 30 bots running down, up and across the stream. I could took out a bot 100m away easily with a sniper rifle with a single shot to the chest or head (depending on whether if he's wearing armor). But shots made at a 25m to 50m range are not always working perfectly with the sniper rifle, it's like the game has a random failed rate for shootings, it usually last about 3 or 4 seconds before the shooting regain it's effect & accuracy again (no, no bot shot me before that). I fired a sniper shot at 8 bots running in a straight line close to each other coming down a slope (rows of head above shoulders, coming right at me, looked like a worm in my LOS, yet the single shot killed no one! Sometimes bots won't shoot at you at a 20/30m range in the first few missions (33% of all the missions), even on the difficulty Hard. The 20 or 30 bots are too dumb to run around the big flat rock I prone on, none of them sneaked to my back as there's a lot of open areas around (there's a big rock to my left side only), all of them shoot at me from the front or 3 o'clock from the right. I could took out 15 or 20 bots with the sniper rifle before some of them got close to me in about 20m way & start firing at me, I took them all out no matters, too easy! Head/chest shots are being aim at the shoulders of those bots running diagonally in my LOS or I shoot at the side of their heads judging by their running speed and elevation. The bot has been made too easy on some places, but seem pretty hard in some other areas. The funny is when I keep firing an assault rifle, my view keep expanding and zooms in for a certain level before it stopped, it could make some people a bit dizzy for that kind of effect. It's a very good game, but not the best, I might pick it up again & play it once in every 6 months, as the bots a bit dumb and the spawning spots are fixed. There's no random spawn spots for those bots all over the maps if replayed (as an reward for beaten the game). I prefer bots coming down on ropes from those tall trees in the jungle blaring their guns as they're on their way down. Where are those black creatures from the Alien vs Predator? I would love to see them running around in the jungle. Where's the third person view of flying the Apache chopper from the GTA: San Andreas? or the Anansi chopper from Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars? Well, sure no one wanted to fly a chopper along a seashore and blasting things away with rockets! Expand
  93. Dec 6, 2010
    in spite of its awesome graphics, crysis could've been better...
    the gameplay is sometimes frustrating, repetitive, and the replay value is very mediocre. this means that after you played it once or twice, you can forget about it.
    in spite of its awesome graphics, crysis could've been better...
    personally, after playing it like 5 times (mostly because i loved the graphics), i started to hate this game and using it as a benchmark. like, wooah i got a new video card, let's see if crysis will kick its ass...
    by the way, even on my hd5870 enabling antialiasing can cause keyboard destruction due to low performance frustration
  94. Aug 27, 2010
    The paramount of a great first person experience is immersion and the title offers this in spades. The sheer level of overall detail is almost excessive but brilliantly executed. The game play was certainly above average much of the time and offered huge levels of freedom when working out a strategy, by offering hugely destructible environment as well as the freedom to don almost any inThe paramount of a great first person experience is immersion and the title offers this in spades. The sheer level of overall detail is almost excessive but brilliantly executed. The game play was certainly above average much of the time and offered huge levels of freedom when working out a strategy, by offering hugely destructible environment as well as the freedom to don almost any in game object the player is instantly in the survivalist hot seat and served up with the kind of super mutant power to keep it all fun. I was however frustrated at the hit detection or lack thereof as well as the huge amount force required to fall ones foe, ammo is scarce, demanding conservation however enemies are indeed very difficult to kill and in some cases seem to offer no resemblance to an actual human body sometimes taking what seems as an entire magazine of ammunition before falling to what seems like bleeding to death or starvation. On the other hand explosives offer what seems as an underpowered effect on enemies and overpowered effect on vehicles, it is reasonable to expect in this title to drop a grenade on a truck with enemy very close and expect a spectacular wreck and all of your enemy standing, multiple grenade types do not alleviate this concern because their very nature is unfitting to the game scheme, a flash bang in an open environment with enemies peppered on the map seems almost pointless other than to simply piss off all of the enemies outside the range of the weapon. Setting all of this aside it does however set a new bar for games to meet in order to truly be innovative and was fun enough to bring me back a few times. Expand
  95. Oct 11, 2010
    Definitely not the the best shooter I have played like some people say but still a very impressive game in terms of graphics and presentation. The story is nothing special, but still engaging enough to keep you going.
  96. Apr 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics are amazing... I agree with most reviews here. When the game came out, this was possibly the best looking shooter ever. And it still holds up today to most modern games, definitely. But there was a point about 3/4 the way through, once the alien levels became introduced. All the way up to the tank run through the valley when the mountain was falling apart, i was enjoying the game quite a bit. But then it turned bad very quickly as the level design and gameplay became, I'm sad to say, stale.

The end boss felt like it was very last minute, and left me quite disappointed. As memory serves, it reminded much like the end of Borderlands, a great buildup to a huge letdown. I have since played Crysis 2 and thought exactly the same thing as the 1st, except this time it was immediate, like I was being thrown right back in to the worst parts of it's predecessor. Uninteresting level design and gameplay with awesome looking graphics, which only goes so far, and then you lose interest.

It's a shame, as this game almost made it to legendary status among all it's brethren..
  97. Dec 13, 2013
    This is a hard game to review and it must be done in two parts.

This is a hard game to review and it must be done in two parts.

Part I you infiltrate a North Korean island and it takes this seriously. You choose if you want to sneak, fight or combine your way through but if you fight and don't choose your fights, you'll have issues with ammo and having to work with inferior weapons. If you choose to stealth through, you'll have your nano-suit to help you but you don't want to make a mistake. If you observe, think and plan, you can either sneak around or plan quick, silent strikes on even large groups of enemies. Only a few, scripted combat scenes ruins this first half. This half is 9 or 10 10.

Second half comes after the essence of the plot is fully revealed and then the game somehow becomes a poorly made, arcade shooter. No skill, no thinking, just moving the mouse and clicking. It's awfully boring. This par is 2/10.

All in all, they had something good going but decided to ruin it because they felt like they needed to show off some more graphics.
  98. Jun 14, 2012
    I only bought Crysis off Steam because it was £9.99 and I needed something to work my new hardware. When I bought it however, I found that the Steam Crysis was incompatible with Win7 64 bit and Crytek had apparently hoped that no-one would notice this rather pathetic issue. Anyway, to the game itself: after fixing that issue about 3 days after buying it, I went into Crysis with someI only bought Crysis off Steam because it was £9.99 and I needed something to work my new hardware. When I bought it however, I found that the Steam Crysis was incompatible with Win7 64 bit and Crytek had apparently hoped that no-one would notice this rather pathetic issue. Anyway, to the game itself: after fixing that issue about 3 days after buying it, I went into Crysis with some worry that it would just be a sightseeing tour with no other purpose than as a hardware benchmark. After getting into however, I found it to have interesting non-linear gameplay and tactical play thanks to your nanosuit. The way the nanosuit works is that you can direct suit power to several different abilities: speed, strength (improves throwing and jumping), armour and an invisibility cloak. These different traits as well as weapon attachments make combat varied and interesting. Bad bits? The story for starters; I know Crysis isn't exactly meant to be a masterful piece of arty writing, but I just find the story and characters to be weak and badly written. Cutscenes. Never have your character do things in cutscenes that you can do in gameplay. Visuals. This isn't really a negative in terms of engine power; because Crysis is a very good looking game, it's just that the art design is a bit bland and unimaginative. So to conclude; if you're looking for something like Far Cry, but with less frustrations and AI that isn't equipped with x-ray vision, then feel free to give Crytek your money, just don't expect much support from them. Expand
  99. Jun 18, 2012
    Crysis was an alright game. I don't usually play FPS games, so although this game was new I enjoyed it. I noticed lots of reviews talking about how people just "Want to shoot stuff" and how they complain about aliens. Well honestly, if you are a mindless moron you wouldn't mind shooting at random stuff and humans. This game adds in compelling new gameplay and story. It seemed ratherCrysis was an alright game. I don't usually play FPS games, so although this game was new I enjoyed it. I noticed lots of reviews talking about how people just "Want to shoot stuff" and how they complain about aliens. Well honestly, if you are a mindless moron you wouldn't mind shooting at random stuff and humans. This game adds in compelling new gameplay and story. It seemed rather original, yet at the same time familiar. It played off a lot of cool things and most things a common person would think of during an alien attack, they thought of and put it in the game. The game's story was nice, and the voice acting is as expected; professional. If the characters didn't talk, I wouldn't be interested in this game. While the game seems overall good, it isn't the aliens being in the game that made it bad (If you don't want aliens and just want to shoot at other humans play COD and stop trying to play other games.). The real flaw of the game is how certain features are either glitched, broken, or un-balanced. When you play this game (Even on just normal mode) your nano suit is about as good as the Korean's bullet proof vest. 10 shots to their vest and they still stand, 10 shots to yours and you die (assuming you have maximum armor!). The FY71, which looked like an AK47, had next to perfect accuracy despite being a machine gun. And the vehicle controls are just terrible. But the vehicles can get damaged and that is actually shown, which is almost never seen on games these days. Now I'm sure if you've read all the review you have noticed I haven't commented on the graphics yet. That's because... Well graphics don't make the game, so it doesn't effect my rating, whether they are bad or good. Graphics are also pretty biased, the beauty of a game is in the eyes of the player. Anyways, if you don't like the concept of the game, go play something else, if seeing aliens in a game instantly decreases your rating of the game to 1, then stop reviewing games. Overall, it's an alright but VERY frustrating game. Expand

1. PC Gamer
    Destined to be a classic, Crysis is a creative and technological marvel that eclipses every other shooter released this year. [Holiday 2007, p.60]
  2. Crysis thrives on putting the onus on you to create your own brand of action and adventure in its stunningly beautiful locations. You and the game can haphazardly create moments of such gaming brilliance that often you pretty much have to stand up and applaud. [Christmas 2007, p.44]
    This is some fast, well designed gameplay with enough options to allow players to use their own style of attack with satisfying suit abilities and weapons. Crytek has upped their attention to detail in presentation and dropped the worst parts of "Far Cry’s" story.