Cthulhu Saves the World PC

7.2

1. Jul 19, 2011
    This game is awesome. A great throwback to classic RPGs. This was exactly the awesome, entertaining, humorous, 8-bit game i had been looking for! I highly recommend it, especially for such a cheap price.
  2. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is not your hardcore JRPG, it is nice simple and cleanly designed game. The game has witty and funny character interaction, and overall really worked for me. The only downside could perhaps be that the game has some really confusingly long dungeon layouts if you try to hunt down all the treasure which in itself is easy enough once you clear them. A good feature is that if youThis game is not your hardcore JRPG, it is nice simple and cleanly designed game. The game has witty and funny character interaction, and overall really worked for me. The only downside could perhaps be that the game has some really confusingly long dungeon layouts if you try to hunt down all the treasure which in itself is easy enough once you clear them. A good feature is that if you fight enough battles in an areas enemies won't randomly appear unless you start a fight manually making exploring much easier.

The game is surprisingly ironic and hilarious, and it is very family friendly. It isn't a long game, but it will give you about an hour or two of play per Dollar you spend which is good considering its only a few dollars.

Everyone should buy this game because its too much good gameplay for so little money.
  3. Aug 2, 2011
    Genre limitations and bug aside, Cthulhu Saves the World is everything you wanted from a Breath of Death VII sequel and then some. It's endlessly funny, challenging, varied and engaging, and you'll push through to the very end just to see what crazy thing happens next. I can't say enough great things about Zeboyd's work, and eagerly anticipate their future indie games. With any luck, we'llGenre limitations and bug aside, Cthulhu Saves the World is everything you wanted from a Breath of Death VII sequel and then some. It's endlessly funny, challenging, varied and engaging, and you'll push through to the very end just to see what crazy thing happens next. I can't say enough great things about Zeboyd's work, and eagerly anticipate their future indie games. With any luck, we'll have Robert Boyd's work to enjoy for the forseeable future. In the meantime, Zeboyd is still king of Xbox Indie Games, and Cthulhu Saves the World is the best evidence yet. Expand
  4. Dec 12, 2013
    Cthulhu Saves the World is an ode to the classical Turn-based RPG genre which we had back in the days of the NES, Except that this game was actually made in the modern days. Is that bad? Absolutely not. This game will you provide with so much fun and hours of gameplay, that it is well your money.

The main thing that makes this game infamous is the amount of randomness. This game has hilarious dialogue, from breaking the fourth wall to references to just random insanity. At first it seems a bit awkward, having Cthulhu talk to the narrator. But trust me, that is only the beginning.

The story also makes zero sense, but for a game like this it doesn't matter. Cthulhu basically loses all of his powers, and to get them back he needs to be a good guy and save the world. Strange considering Cthulhu his goal was to destroy the world and now he's doing the complete opposite.

Characters will join you, most of the times for no apparent but hilarious reason. Those characters reign from a skeleton to a flying sword to a girl who, for some reason or another, fell in love with cthulhu. Makes sense? No, but this game doesn't need sense to be awesome.

And now you might think, is this game only randomness and does it fail on other mechanics? Actually, no. The gameplay will remind you of the classic RPG's which is, in my opinion, still a very great mechanic up to this date. And Cthulhu Saves the World does not disappoint with this mechanic. The music isn't bad either. To be honest, the normal battle theme sounds surprisingly good.

I would advice this game to anyone, even if they are not a rpg lover. This game has 4 different difficulties and several unique modes. 1 gameplay of the game already gives you several gameplay time, reigning from around 6 to 10 hours, so just imagine how much time you will spend with all the modes included within this game. And you know the very best part of this game? Look at the price.

How do you even? All this content for only for 65 cents? Come on, buy this game already, you know that it's worth it.
  5. Sep 21, 2011
    Ridiculous price, great humour, hours of engaging gameplay - what else can you desire from a game? Oh, yes - I forgot about graphics. But thats only one thing that you wouldn't find here...Because its totally old-school rpg ... and that's a plus! Reminding me the times when imagination was more important than astonishing visuals. Thank God for indie developers.
  6. Oct 30, 2011
    one of my favorite games of 2011! An absolute must play for anyone who grew up with and loved playing classic 8 bit/ 16 bit rpgs.

I give this game a 10 because of its entertainment and enjoyment value.
  7. Mar 14, 2012
    This game is simply one large running gag, and I can assure you I mean that in the best and most reverent manner possible. Cthulhu Saves the World is a classic Dragonwarrior-esque adventure RPG reinvented with modern western elements and chock full of Lovecraftian comedy. I want want to highlight the price as a selling point, but it is worth much more than what it costs.
  8. Nov 7, 2011
    Really a solid game. It's a throwback to "ye olden times" were games needed humor and solid mechanics to work, CSW does an excellent job of doing just that. It's a nice thing to have read the Lovecraft stories since alot of the mythos will pass by if you dont have, but i do believe that it will prove a enjoyable game even for newcommers to the Lovecraft mythos. Happy gaming
  9. Mar 15, 2012
    A really awesome game. Can be a little repetitive, but genuinely funny. Also a lot of faults can be forgiven at the ridiculously cheap price point. If you aren't a foaming COD junkie I recommend it heavily.
  10. Mar 13, 2012
    I thought this game was executed very well for what it is, a retro throwback to the great 8-bit RPGs of old. Looking at it in terms of anything else wouldn't be right to do, so suffice to say, this game works for me. How can you not give it a go when it's so low in price?
  11. Sep 15, 2011
    Not being a big JRPG fan I was not certain about this game, but being a sucker for a steam sale, I agreed to throw down the $2.99 for this game. I was delighted to find out how funny and entertaining this game is. I am greatly enjoying it and have recommended it to many of my friends.
  12. Apr 13, 2012
    A delight for fans of old-school Final Fantasy style (turn-based combat) RPGs. Very well designed and written game - it distills the essence of the genre with tongue firmly in cheek and is filled with humour. Not much replay value here, but for the price the developer is asking this is well worth a look.
  13. Nov 8, 2011
    The grind may have gotten annoying time to time, but the humor was great and especially as the game progressed, the battles were fun. Did I mention that the jokes were hilarious? The game is cheap, so if you like a solid old fashioned role-playing experience, this is a game for you!
  14. Apr 6, 2012
    I had this game given to me as a gift from a friend who recommended it highly, and I was not disappointed. Being a kid who grew up in the era when games like this were popular, I found the setting and style both familiar and refreshing. While the "laugh out loud" moments were far and few between, the game still managed to keep a smile on my face most of the way through. While the gameplayI had this game given to me as a gift from a friend who recommended it highly, and I was not disappointed. Being a kid who grew up in the era when games like this were popular, I found the setting and style both familiar and refreshing. While the "laugh out loud" moments were far and few between, the game still managed to keep a smile on my face most of the way through. While the gameplay starts to drag a little towards the end and the humor isn't particularly enough for a second playthrough, I definitely enjoyed the time I spent with this game. Plus, the developer commentary gave me fascinating insights into the mind of an indie game developer. Expand
  15. Apr 15, 2012
    Great retro style game, very fun to play. If you've read some of H.P. Lovecrafts books the fun factor will be increased, but it is not necessary to understand the plot. One of the best games and a must play for everyone, the price is ridiculously low!
  16. Nov 11, 2012
    This game is so amazing, reminds me of old classics TRUE JRPGs like FF, BOF, DQ, etc.. It's hilarious because makes fun of old rpgs and has a good classic rpg gameplay.
    For 1,99
  17. Apr 8, 2012
    Cthulhu Saves the World is a lighthearted RPG with plenty of serious gameplay. I couldn't put it down until I beat the game! Honestly, the best $1 I've eve spent.
  18. Jan 13, 2012
    Funny, simple, and classic. I would recommend to play it on easy mode, because this way you do not have to grind and you can enjoy the funny yet brilliant ideas from the creators.
  19. Dec 31, 2012
    First reaction when first playing this game: "Wow!" After the lack of details of Breath of Death VII, I was honestly impressed by the HUGE amount of improvements made in this game: graphics are obviously better, but just because of a change of style (Breath of Death was 8-bit style while this is 16-bit. I think); music is a lot more varied and actually does sound great, with some goodFirst reaction when first playing this game: "Wow!" After the lack of details of Breath of Death VII, I was honestly impressed by the HUGE amount of improvements made in this game: graphics are obviously better, but just because of a change of style (Breath of Death was 8-bit style while this is 16-bit. I think); music is a lot more varied and actually does sound great, with some good music and tunes (the boss theme is already one of my favourites); there are 8 characters to get (plus a bonus later on), with each their own skills and (simple) skill animations; the humour, even though random, is better thought and it's really fun to watch, especially since they added "cutscenes" that explains and shows better the scenes and such; dungeons are more detailed and actually look better, and there are additional dungeons and secrets to discover, making this game gigantic (almost 10 hours to finish the main game, plus other modes that actually are fun to play,). And all this for a really cheap price! Again, wow, the amount of improvements are unbelievable and I really applaud the game developers for improving the potential that Breath of Death had, but never showed. It has flaws unfortunely, few, but there are. The enemies will still get stronger the more you fight, which encourages you to fight quick and faster, but yet again this limits most of your skills, making you choose the best skills and ignore the others...and this is a HUGE waste because, with 8 characters to choose, you'll never have a chance to create a proper tactic or get to known the skills at their best: you'll just focus on taking the best skills and go on, and there is depth in the character's build...but with no kind of skill reset, you will get lost easily and, again, get the best and more convenient skills at each level up. The game also has a steep difficulty curve that can easily destroy you, forcing you to grind experience, which is always the best thing to do, but not when enemies just crush you within 2 turns. To be honest, nothing else seems wrong: the game is meant as a parody of 16-bit rpgs and it will clearly be loved by fans of rpgs, but it might be disappointing for those who expected a bigger and massive game, or a more serious game. Except for that, if you loved Breath of Death and love good old rpgs from the past, it's definitely worth the purchase: it's a cheap price for more than 10 hours of gameplay. And I have no complains at all. Expand
  20. Oct 27, 2013
    A worth successor to the ridiculous Breath of Death VII (of which I wish the first 6 titles actually DID exist) VERY old school RPG with old school graphics and a cracking sense of humour.
  21. Aug 7, 2013
    Fun little adventure game with quite a bit of comedy. Can't really say much more to it but there is a lot of re-playable things to it too.

It's a rarther average RPG, most likely made with someone like RPG maker, but it is quite funny and a lot of jokes against your typical RPGs and the Cthulhu mythos.
  22. Aug 29, 2013
    Neat little RPG, that will keep you busy for quite some time (especially on hard/insane mode). You can customize your characters by choosing between 2 abilities on level-up and also by selecting different weapons/armor (you can find those on chests or buy them from the shops located in each city). New characters join you throughout the game and you can have up 4 in your party. This becomesNeat little RPG, that will keep you busy for quite some time (especially on hard/insane mode). You can customize your characters by choosing between 2 abilities on level-up and also by selecting different weapons/armor (you can find those on chests or buy them from the shops located in each city). New characters join you throughout the game and you can have up 4 in your party. This becomes very important on harder difficulties, since your party must be well balanced in order to survive the multiple waves of enemies that you will encounter.

Even though your HP replenish after each fight, you will soon run out of mana if you are not careful and just spam spells. This is what makes the game difficult, but sadly, the difference between normal and hard mode is chaotic. Basically in normal mode you will almost never run out of mana, while in hard mode you might even have trouble surviving against the first couple of packs.

Overall, this game is definitely worth buying. For under $2 you get hours of gameplay that is more entertaining than what many "new generation" games have to offer. Go ahead and buy it, you won't regret it.
  23. Apr 28, 2014
    Call of Cthulhu is a funny game with good music that capitalizes on nostalgia for SNES RPGs. While not everyone shares taste in humor or music, the game is inexpensive and fun. Comes with a great deal of alternate modes to play the game in, which vary in difficulty.

I liked the music so much I downloaded the free soundtrack from their website and occasionally play it over the music of other, less musically entertaining, games.
  24. Oct 7, 2014
    Wow, Breath of Death VII was awesome, and this game takes it to a whole nother level. If you have not the bought the dual pack of these two games and love RPGs, be ashamed of yourself. This one took me about 10 hours to beat (BoD took 7) and its an RPG that is streamlined, to the point, funny and just a ton of fun to play. Very little grinding, so if you like RPGs but don't want to them toWow, Breath of Death VII was awesome, and this game takes it to a whole nother level. If you have not the bought the dual pack of these two games and love RPGs, be ashamed of yourself. This one took me about 10 hours to beat (BoD took 7) and its an RPG that is streamlined, to the point, funny and just a ton of fun to play. Very little grinding, so if you like RPGs but don't want to them to be endless, this is perfect. I cannot recommend these games enough. Go buy them. Go do it now. And there are modes you unlock when you beat the game. It's just great stuff. Both games are $3 even at full price COMBINED. Go buy them. Expand
  25. May 24, 2015
    Absolutamente divertido, quer passar um tempo rindo simplesmente com uma batalha aleatória no mapa, vá de Cthulhu, rápido, difícil, simples e divertido!

1. Oct 2, 2011
    Are you Final Fantasy old-time classics' devotees? Without hesitation, try this one! Do you love Lovecraft? Without hesitation, try this one! If you are truly positive about your answers, straightway you got to quest for Cthulhu Saves the World! Besides, how long ago you got a chance to play as a he-man (and quite an original one) baddy?
  2. PC Gamer
    Sep 13, 2011
    A really good parody. [Nov 2011, p.76]
  3. Aug 3, 2011
    A quality game, but at that absurdly low price there's really no excuse to deny yourself of it.