8.7

1. Apr 25, 2014
    This game is awesome. It is not Might and Magic RPG game, but it is very good action RPG in Might and Magic World. You got multiple ways to play this game and every spell is fun to use. I think this game got the best mele combat ever made in FPS game style.
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    There are a few reasons this got mixed reviews. The largest is that it's not similar to any other Might and Magic game. The lore is the same, and the story fits, but the gameplay is a complete departure from the usual series. I'm guessing that alienated some of the fans, but I far prefer ARPGs, so the change in style is a positive imo.

The game is terribly buggy until you get the latest

The game is terribly buggy until you get the latest patch, but with the latest patch (1.02), all of the serious issues are fixed. I'm not counting that against the score anymore because it's simply stupid to rate a game down for issues that have already been fixed.

Imo, Dark Messiah is excellent. Voice acting is poor at times, but fortunately it's quite good for Leanna and Xana (the two companions and romance options who have 90% of the total dialogue). The combat is deeper than the typical ARPG, and there's a heavy emphasis on using the environment to kill opponents. In fact, if you don't take advantage of alternate tactics the fights will last a long time and sap your health. It's much quicker to throw an urn of oil at someone and kick them into a fire than it is to simply slash at them repeatedly. I suspect this is where some complaints came from. Some people end up slowly grinding through every fight, because they won't accept that they need to think fast and use varied tactics to beat enemies efficiently. I can't stress this enough; it simply is not effective to spam attacks on someone's shield. Instead, throw a shovel at them and beat them down while they're distracted. Etc. The combat reminds me of Zeno Clash+Skyrim.

I can't fault Dark Messiah for requiring some intelligence on the player's end.

On to other aspects, there are a lot of hidden areas in zones that add replay value. Add variable endings and several relevant difficulty modes, and there's a lot of potential for at least a few playthroughs. Replayability and game length is huge for me. Since I'm in college and I don't have infinite cash, it doesn't make sense to spend $20-50 on a game for just a few hours of entertainment.

At times, Dark Messiah incorporates parkour and climbing aspects to offset its combat, and in general it works very well. My only complaint in that regard is that I wish the climbing was a bit more fluid. I play at 60 fps on a full gaming rig with a high-precision mouse, and even then it was sometimes difficult to maintain control of the character while vaulting between windows.

The story is decidedly average. The first time I played it, I wasn't really sure what was going on. I just knew Necromancers were killing people and there were a lot of spider-worshippers. My second playthrough, I took more time to read books and notes (hidden in the game), and I paid a lot more attention to in-game banter and cutscenes. After paying more attention, the story becomes a lot more interesting, but it's still not great.

The graphics, from what I understand, were stunningly beautiful back when the game released. In 2013, they still hold up well enough. The character models especially look good, which is welcome, because unless you're female or otherwise inclined, you'll probably spend a lot of the game staring at your companion's mostly exposed thighs. One thing I also like is that the girl attached to the aforementioned thighs is reasonably clothed. There's no lingerie armor here. There's only one character wearing skimpy (or no) clothing throughout, and she's a succubus, so that makes sense. Hair and skin is also well done, and water supports full scene reflections. The HDR lighting is still beautiful and the physics hold up well. I ran the game on ultra at 60 fps back when I had a GTX 460, and I still run it on ultra at 60 fps now that I have a new GTX 660 TI.

If it sounds like I don't like the game, I apologize. Really I had a great time with Dark Messiah, but I try to list at least as many complaints as good features in my reviews. Too much of either is just unhelpful, unless it explains in detail why the game irrefutably deserves such a score.
  3. Apr 17, 2015
    This is an AMAZINGLY fun that has an awesome story and game-play. Classic, action fantasy RPG in the fine tradition of Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age: Origins. Ignore any criticism you hear about it and play it for yourself, you'll be glad you did.

The only reason it didn't win Game of the Year is because TES:Oblivion was released shortly later.
  4. Sep 29, 2010
    This is one of those games where you just have to scratch your head and try to comprehend what most of the negative reviewers are thinking. If you like FUN, this is a games that has loads of outright fun. I have played the game all the way through three different times (as each of the different classes) and enjoyed it immensely each time. The game is so cheap to buy now, I don't see howThis is one of those games where you just have to scratch your head and try to comprehend what most of the negative reviewers are thinking. If you like FUN, this is a games that has loads of outright fun. I have played the game all the way through three different times (as each of the different classes) and enjoyed it immensely each time. The game is so cheap to buy now, I don't see how anyone could not see the value here. If you like action RPGs you really cannot go wrong with this game!!! Expand
  5. May 16, 2012
    Ok, there is no real connection between Might & Might and Dark Messiah. BUT: The game is groundbreaking! Arkane, known for their absolutely stunning First Person Shooters (or Games), did a very good job. Battles are very intensive, the body awareness is still, 6 years later, the best in the whole FPS-world! When you look into an abyss, you really (!) think: "oh oh, carefully now!" andOk, there is no real connection between Might & Might and Dark Messiah. BUT: The game is groundbreaking! Arkane, known for their absolutely stunning First Person Shooters (or Games), did a very good job. Battles are very intensive, the body awareness is still, 6 years later, the best in the whole FPS-world! When you look into an abyss, you really (!) think: "oh oh, carefully now!" and shivers will run down your spine! Great game! I'm so pumped for the next Arkane Game, Dishonored, which will be released in this year. But that game if you like adventures and intensive FPS experiences! Expand
  6. Jul 9, 2014
    Surprisingly good.

At first glance this game doesn't seem to be great in any way. Graphics and music are ok, the story is decent. Locations look fine. Then you get into combat and nothing else matters. Kill the enemies, find more enemies to kill. I just couldn't get enough of the combat system. After finishing the game for the first time (which took about 8 hrs) I immidiately
    Surprisingly good.

At first glance this game doesn't seem to be great in any way.
    Graphics and music are ok, the story is decent. Locations look fine.

I just couldn't get enough of the combat system. After finishing the game for the first time (which took about 8 hrs) I immidiately started over with a different character. The combat is addictive. It's brutal, fast paced and fair.
    Kick the enemy from the ledge, sneak up on them and stab them or just charge at them with a huge sword.

If we only had this combat system in Skyrim...
  7. Sep 6, 2011
    I bought this on Steam as it was only £7 and what a game.
    I wasn't expecting much but bought it on recommendation anyway.
    The single player was excellent with likeable characters such as Leanna, lovely visuals for the source engine that outdo Valve in visual style and great swordplay that reminds me a lot of Pirates, Vikings and Knights 2. There were some points in the game
    I bought this on Steam as it was only £7 and what a game.
    I wasn't expecting much but bought it on recommendation anyway.

There were some points in the game where the objectives aren't really clear on what to do and should be a little more obvious, such as going into the spider pit.

I didn't encounter any glitches while playing despite critics shunning it for them.
    Overall a great game which overcomes it's flaws for a great singleplayer experience.
  8. Nov 25, 2012
    This game is actually quite good. I passed it off when it was new because the reviews were non-existent or not so hot. But it turns out this game is way better than the hype.

Its still not a 10 but its an easy 8 and possibly a 9 if you're a big fan of some of the genres it combines. It includes your standard first-person hack and slack, dungeon crawling, as well as some skyrim style rpg and equipment, and a little bit of Theif as well. Lots of good exploration. Complicated combat if you take the time to figure it out. Tons of alternative ways to "off" enemies. Its not full on stealth or hack and slash, but it forces you to mix them a bit. Give this game a chance. Its cheap nowdays too, and still looks good compared to todays games.
  9. Mar 3, 2011
    This is possibly the funnest game i have ever played due the casual violence, hilarious AI and brilliant one liners the enemies come out with the best being "HEY PAL!" Black guard "DEFILLER" Necromancer and "ABOMINATION" Orc when you get the game or if you have it you will know why it is so funny. Other hilarious components include spazzing corpes, people slipping on ice (especially offThis is possibly the funnest game i have ever played due the casual violence, hilarious AI and brilliant one liners the enemies come out with the best being "HEY PAL!" Black guard "DEFILLER" Necromancer and "ABOMINATION" Orc when you get the game or if you have it you will know why it is so funny. Other hilarious components include spazzing corpes, people slipping on ice (especially off cliffs) and of course pinning a orc to a swinging ham if you find this it will make your day (i was in stiches). The AI on this game is incredible if you kick a enemy down the stairs he runs straight back up for more! oh yes and this game has a rich combat and skill upgrade system (btw avoid poison resistance) a very good game buy it now! Expand
  10. Jan 2, 2013
    Strange thing: critics reluctant to say good about the game while a lot of gamers like it. Do we have some sort of mystery here? Well, not really. The things is quite simple: DM tries to let you explore the world around you but in some borders, yourself - but without self-analysis and the story of your avatar but, again, without soul-reaping details. There are a kingdom, and magic andStrange thing: critics reluctant to say good about the game while a lot of gamers like it. Do we have some sort of mystery here? Well, not really. The things is quite simple: DM tries to let you explore the world around you but in some borders, yourself - but without self-analysis and the story of your avatar but, again, without soul-reaping details. There are a kingdom, and magic and demons and some loot. There is no Shakespeare's drama or moral problems. Why there must be? I don't know but the critics asured that this particular game must be very, very serious. Also it must have a way better graphics, sound and so one. The truth - it must not. It's a good story, childish dream of power, naive and sunny in some parts and anciently shadowed in another. Just let yourself to listen the tale and enjoy the taste of your own childhood. Expand
  11. May 5, 2012
    Great game packed with action and fun while keeping a high fantasy touch. The combat is very rewarding and fun. The graphics and art style are very good regardless the year of production.
  12. May 28, 2012
    I don't understand why reviewers hate this game: it seems to me that lately players are far more expert than reviewers, maybe because they actually play the game (I don't even wanna talk about ME3 critics rating). I love this game: love it! I finished it multiple times, but after a while I always seem to come back at it. This game has the best melee combat system ever seen so far: 2012I don't understand why reviewers hate this game: it seems to me that lately players are far more expert than reviewers, maybe because they actually play the game (I don't even wanna talk about ME3 critics rating). I love this game: love it! I finished it multiple times, but after a while I always seem to come back at it. This game has the best melee combat system ever seen so far: 2012 games like Skyrim still don't have such an advanced and "environmental" combat system. It is true that Dark Messiah is neither an FPS or an RPG, but its story is really engrossing and the RPGish features add more fun to the game.
    There is no game out there that let you interact so well with things surrounding you, and the story never gets boring. This game is just AWESOME!
  13. May 8, 2014
    This game is dripping with epic atmosphere, nice lore and great gameplay. Easily one of my all time favorite games along with Half Life 2 and Fable 1.
  14. Mar 12, 2012
    Even though the graphics might be dated and the story might not be the best out there, this game has some of the best mechanics in recent years.
    Dark Messiah lets you tackle it's levels in a variety of ways, depending on your playstyle the paths you chose and the experience you will have will vary tremendously.
    The gameplay just feels so right and so smooth its just so fun. When you do
    The gameplay just feels so right and so smooth its just so fun. When you do something right you'll feel really accomplished.
    I still have fun replaying it after the 4th time.
  15. Oct 14, 2012
    The gameplay is excellent, very fluid controls, a lot of items and secret entrance, the graphics are stunningly well engineered, despite being released in 2006, a lot of way to play (battlemage, thief, warrior, archer...) and a lot of different monsters you can kill using the undeniable power of physic! I can't say anything bad about this game, maybe the story and character is a bit cheesyThe gameplay is excellent, very fluid controls, a lot of items and secret entrance, the graphics are stunningly well engineered, despite being released in 2006, a lot of way to play (battlemage, thief, warrior, archer...) and a lot of different monsters you can kill using the undeniable power of physic! I can't say anything bad about this game, maybe the story and character is a bit cheesy but I somehow like its charm... the game is a bit short but I'm usually tired of playing a linear campaign for more than 6 hours, but this game was just about fine for me since the game was actually interactive enough to keep me entertained for a good 8 hours of gameplay!

I recommend this game to everyone who's familiar with the Elder Scrolls serie (especially Oblivion)
  16. Sep 18, 2013
    This game... its so fun! BUT the major flaw is when the game was released. I remember buying this game and couldn't play it because it crashed after competing the tutorial level (prologue). After some patches and fixes the game finally worked for me and DAMN, that have been fun. The physics are weird but really fun, there are plenty ways of killing a single enemy. Or you can be boring andThis game... its so fun! BUT the major flaw is when the game was released. I remember buying this game and couldn't play it because it crashed after competing the tutorial level (prologue). After some patches and fixes the game finally worked for me and DAMN, that have been fun. The physics are weird but really fun, there are plenty ways of killing a single enemy. Or you can be boring and kick them into spikes or some other insta-kill environment. The story itself is actually interesting IMO, I won't spoil anything but you can alternate the ending, it isn't a huge different but still great.
    The fighting mechanics is fun! really fun, probably the best part of the game. I know the game is easy sometimes but its still fun! It really depends on how you play the game, the boring way with insta-kills and getting through the game as fast as possible, or having fun and exploring the world. Btw there are a lot of secrets in this game, some that might benefit you later on.
    There are some bugs and glitches but they aren't a huge problem, you might get stuck now and then and the AI is kind of horrible. But that's what makes the game fun! except for your companions AI, that's horrible and bad.
  17. JesseO.
    Jul 1, 2007
    When you beat a game and the only thing you'd change is to have more content to play through, you know a game has hit spot on. The controls are very intuitive and you can change the story as much as you could in this, my only complaint is that it's very difficult at first, and becomes much much easier toward the end.
  18. TommyH.
    Jul 10, 2007
    Great game! BUt the indoor-levels are *****, they are like a maze ~ but the online-mode is wonderful.
  19. RichardM.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Its a fun game, with a really good story. Just make sure your computer can handle it and you installed it right with steam, otherwise its a headache to try to play.
  20. KDep
    Oct 18, 2006
    After playing the demo thoroughly, I really enjoyed this game a lot. It's the standard "Start with a regular character and customize them to your playing style". Create a warrior, rougue, mage or combination. The beautiful and interactive environment is just a great thing to behold.

Combat is also highly interactive. Fight / swing swords - fine, that's standard. Drop a barrel on a goblin's head. Hmm... Kick your enemy over a cliff or shove them into a spiked wall. Nice...
  21. VasilliosS.
    Dec 19, 2006
    This game brought to me the excitement of swashbucling on a level I've never expirienced before. This is the first might might and magic game I have bought and I know nothing about the franchize but I LOVE THE GAMEPLAY,GOOD JOB!!
  22. Boglito
    Oct 28, 2006
    Incredibly beautiful implementation of the source engine. Swordplay is absolutely ace. Best in any game ever. Either way you choose to dispatch of your advesaries; the end result is always satisfactory. A couple of bugs? Yes. A truckload of awesome? Indeed.
  23. TimP.
    Oct 30, 2006
    Great game. Though very linear, this game is beautiful and really fun to play. I have a dell XPS m1210 laptop, 1.83ghz,1gig ram,256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400. I'm running it at the lowest resolution and had to adjust some shading aspects, but it runs and looks fantastic now. Had some sound issues but fixed that by going on the Steam forums. If I would have been unable to install it or Great game. Though very linear, this game is beautiful and really fun to play. I have a dell XPS m1210 laptop, 1.83ghz,1gig ram,256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400. I'm running it at the lowest resolution and had to adjust some shading aspects, but it runs and looks fantastic now. Had some sound issues but fixed that by going on the Steam forums. If I would have been unable to install it or get it to run correctly I wouldnt be playing it, therefore I wouldnt have bothered giving a review based on my anger at not being able to play it. Hate to sound arrogant, but if your system is incapable of installing this game, you should think about upgrading, getting a new system or just stick to console gaming. PC gaming is inherently more involved and requires a bit of research and the understanding that the game you pick might not turn out the way you want. Stop blaming it on the game maker. Expand
  24. MichaelL.
    Oct 30, 2006
    The game is remarkable. It keeps you on the edge of your seat like no other. Oblivion? What's Oblivion? Dark Messiah is atleast MULTIPLAYER. The singleplayer campaign isn't like Oblivion however, but to think that if it did, everyone would say "Oblivi-who?"
  25. Mr.S
    Oct 30, 2006
    Must say that I was somewhat sceptical towards this game at first, but deciced to buy it anyway. Luckily the game turned out to be really entertaining. It's not free, vast and doesn't have a deep storytelling element, but as a lightweigth action/adventureRPG it's a winner. I enjoyed Oblivion immensely and Gothic 3 keeps entertaining me, but at times they're Must say that I was somewhat sceptical towards this game at first, but deciced to buy it anyway. Luckily the game turned out to be really entertaining. It's not free, vast and doesn't have a deep storytelling element, but as a lightweigth action/adventureRPG it's a winner. I enjoyed Oblivion immensely and Gothic 3 keeps entertaining me, but at times they're exhaustingly open and there's way too much to do. Dark Messiah keeps it small and focused, which is an excellent option to the large games. The graphics are excellent and the game runs on full detail with no mentionable stuttering. Gameplay is great and so far I haven't encountered any bugs. Thoroughly enjoyable game. If you're into rpg/action adventures I'd suggest you try the game. Only thing keeping the game away from a 10 is that from what I've heared the game could be a tad longer. Expand
  26. JoeA.
    Jan 14, 2007
    I loved this game! The physics engine and blade fighting is the best that any game has offered to date. Better than Oblivion! No other game allows you to kick opponents off of ledges, into fires, and against sharp objects. No other game allows you to bounce a stray skull off of your opponent. The imagery of the scenes and the monsters that are encountered are second to none. Sure, there I loved this game! The physics engine and blade fighting is the best that any game has offered to date. Better than Oblivion! No other game allows you to kick opponents off of ledges, into fires, and against sharp objects. No other game allows you to bounce a stray skull off of your opponent. The imagery of the scenes and the monsters that are encountered are second to none. Sure, there are a few glitches, of which most have been patched now, but this game is well worth it either way. Expand
  27. AndreCosta
    Oct 30, 2007
    Excellent, and I mean really excellent game. Great ambiance, excellent skills to develop, excellent graphics... Storyline is very very good. 10/10
  28. SneakyS.
    Jan 4, 2007
    This game is briliant. The singleplayer is so cool that I played it over and over again. There is always another way to replay this game because of all the skills. The multiplayer is also extremly good. Its fun and original because of all the different classes. Not many games ar worth it to buy for about 50 dollars/euro's, but this game is. After 1.2 the mp was better to play because This game is briliant. The singleplayer is so cool that I played it over and over again. There is always another way to replay this game because of all the skills. The multiplayer is also extremly good. Its fun and original because of all the different classes. Not many games ar worth it to buy for about 50 dollars/euro's, but this game is. After 1.2 the mp was better to play because of the too high detailed maps. 10/10 (never seen better). Expand
  29. KatOne
    Mar 22, 2007
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was already from the start a very creative and visually satisfying game. The extreme diversity of activities throughout the game keeps it from becoming repetitive. The skill system also adds yet another dimension. However, when i first played it (the MINUTE it was released i started playing) i noticed that Dark Messiah of Might and Magic probably was just Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was already from the start a very creative and visually satisfying game. The extreme diversity of activities throughout the game keeps it from becoming repetitive. The skill system also adds yet another dimension. However, when i first played it (the MINUTE it was released i started playing) i noticed that Dark Messiah of Might and Magic probably was just about the buggiest game i have ever played, and furthermore probably one of the buggiest release titles ever in gaming history. In about 8 hours i had completed the campaign twice, and i must say that in the end the glass felt half-full rather than half-empty. There simply is so much to see in it. Now, a few months later, the game has gone from the buggiest game ever to the most updated game ever. The update log is the size of the bible! And the bugs HAVE been fixed, the flow is surpreme and the multiplayer is IMMENSE. Playing the game now is like playing an entirely new game, compared to playing it release day. So as much as the lower ratings here were very much justified RELEASE DAY, they are not justified here. The low ratings have expired, and the metaphorical Stamina and Mana of Might and Magic has just about finished regenerating. Buy it TODAY! Expand
  30. AlexM.
    May 6, 2007
    Awsome story, graphics and atmospher. It grabs you by the arms and throws you into a world were dieing is not an option. Briliant!
  31. AnonymousMC
    Jun 28, 2007
    Minor problems and bugs cannot hide this game's brilliance. I was kind of disappointed at the beginning to the point of almost abandoning it but then it really grew on me. The hand to hand combat system and body awareness combined with Source's physics engine creates a really unique experience where you can feel the blows you deal and the hits you take from enemies as much as aMinor problems and bugs cannot hide this game's brilliance. I was kind of disappointed at the beginning to the point of almost abandoning it but then it really grew on me. The hand to hand combat system and body awareness combined with Source's physics engine creates a really unique experience where you can feel the blows you deal and the hits you take from enemies as much as a game can convey. And it gets 10/10 because it has catacombs. I love games with spooky tombs and traps ... :) Expand
  32. AxelD.
    Jul 5, 2007
    I think this is one of the best games i have played in all my time on this earth...i love games...ive made them my life, career, and everyday life...but this is still close to my 1st favorite game...the only problem i had with this game is a cooperative aspect of the game...this is why i am so excited to play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements...but other then this minor flaw I think this is one of the best games i have played in all my time on this earth...i love games...ive made them my life, career, and everyday life...but this is still close to my 1st favorite game...the only problem i had with this game is a cooperative aspect of the game...this is why i am so excited to play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements...but other then this minor flaw because of major time needed to program cooperative play I both respect and hope to work with Ubisoft. Expand
  33. JamesS.
    Sep 7, 2007
    10-no doubt about it, one of the best games i have ever played- dunno where everyone is getting these crash problems, because it never happened with me, uber gfx, great storyline and the AI is fantastic!!
  34. MikeN.
    Jul 1, 2008
    This game was incredible. The story is simple, and the action is great. With realistic physics and detailed graphics, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic keeps me wanting more! A must have for most people, and an absolute must have for fans of the source engine.
  35. PaulM
    Mar 19, 2009
    This game is amazing. The storyline is fulfilling and addictive to the last moment. I couldn't get enough of the combat. There's multiple ways to execute people just by moving a slightly different way. Dark Messiah definitely has the best graphics of any game made in 2006, and I can play the multiplayer all night long. The gore in the game was at a perfect level; there This game is amazing. The storyline is fulfilling and addictive to the last moment. I couldn't get enough of the combat. There's multiple ways to execute people just by moving a slightly different way. Dark Messiah definitely has the best graphics of any game made in 2006, and I can play the multiplayer all night long. The gore in the game was at a perfect level; there wasn't too much, but it wasn't like playing a child's game. I highly recommend you add this game to your collection. Expand
  36. JoshD.
    Nov 10, 2006
    Great game after the patch has been released. Bad launch but it all worked out in the end.
  37. WilliamD.
    Nov 13, 2006
    A great game. Only problem is it is pretty short.
  38. Captain
    Dec 16, 2006
    Wow! This game is so lot of fun. Its in style a mix of Riddick and Half-Life. The grafix are hot - only textures looks sometimes bad. The most interessting aspect is the feeling to be in a body. U see your body. In different acts and actions your body was shocke, thrown, hit,... U can sometimes think its your. Amazing. The gameplay is simple - and complex. Simple as the standard Wow! This game is so lot of fun. Its in style a mix of Riddick and Half-Life. The grafix are hot - only textures looks sometimes bad. The most interessting aspect is the feeling to be in a body. U see your body. In different acts and actions your body was shocke, thrown, hit,... U can sometimes think its your. Amazing. The gameplay is simple - and complex. Simple as the standard useability of a short and complex in power-up your character. The hunt for new skillpoints and items is sometimes like a blizzard game. But-i´ve started the game with skills on the warrior- want to know how it´s running as a wizzard with all the cool spells (Shrinking - last seen at Duke 3D lat millenium ;-). This game is hot - Its not a "Once-played-shooter". Purchase it - Play it - Play again - Play again - have fun this time. I´ve wait for an expension !!! Expand
  39. Scott
    Oct 25, 2006
    Dark Messiah has amazing graphics and incredible gameplay. I absolutely love how they integrated RPG with first person combat. The physics and HDR are magnificent.
  40. JohnL.
    Oct 26, 2006
    Best action rpg out on any system and doesn't require a super computer to have everything enabled. Best sword combat system I have ever seen. Nothing comes close.
  41. JustinR.
    Oct 27, 2006
    After having played the game a few hours, I stand thoroughly impressed with its intense and visceral combat.
  42. EtherdD.
    Oct 29, 2006
    Awesome. I rate up there with Oblivion, and although I am only in the 2nd part of the game, this game is really damn good. My only issues are it seems pretty linear so far..(where as in Oblivion, you don't HAVE to participate to advance,) but then again maybe I just need to get farther..(I just want to find some kind of a merchant so I can sell all these damned Blackguard shields I Awesome. I rate up there with Oblivion, and although I am only in the 2nd part of the game, this game is really damn good. My only issues are it seems pretty linear so far..(where as in Oblivion, you don't HAVE to participate to advance,) but then again maybe I just need to get farther..(I just want to find some kind of a merchant so I can sell all these damned Blackguard shields I have ...lol) It runs great on my older Radeon 9550, which is great if you don't have the funds for the newest graphics card, but it can be adjusted to some of the higher settings, so when I do get a better one, I can crank it up and check it out. Great follow up on a well traveled series...(I remember when this game was available for the commodore 64 back in the 80's......yup yup.) It's good to see them keep up with the times. Expand
  43. JosephRamos
    Nov 5, 2007
    One of the best game I ever played.
  44. Shach
    Jan 19, 2007
    Little old but VERY "playable" engine and the best battle in FPS with THE BEST reality and REALY interesting scenario.
  45. TimothyT.
    Jan 2, 2007
    The game is AWESOME but the end sucked......it was to obvious, too limited and wasted some of the best ideas by not allowing them to be used more..
  46. WilliamT.
    Jan 25, 2007
    Overall I really enjoyed this game. Fantastic game play and outstanding visuals. The story line was also interesting. Unlike others I never encountered problems with the software.
  47. MichaelE.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Sweeet game, great graphics + scenery. Combat IS THE BEST.
  48. JellevM.
    Dec 9, 2007
    I had problems with starting the game. But now it plays very well. If Oblivion would have this combat system, it would be the best game ever.
  49. JoeC.
    Feb 28, 2007
    Finally a game that reward for accomplishments instead of killing. Would like to boost stats like they did in an old game callled "legacy of the ancients" and "Blacksilver". Some casual time in game might be nice. A good move in the right direction.
  50. KPRook
    Mar 1, 2007
    Good, entertaining game. The normal mode had a little few enemies, but the storyline made up for a lot!
  51. VictorGarcia
    Mar 14, 2007
    Excellent game with an inovating system of fight.This fps/rol game have greats graphics. it is always fun to find new ways of killing the enemies.The only problems, the long loading times and the requirements, slightly highter than hl2, which has the same graphic engine...
  52. NateK.
    Mar 24, 2007
    Okay well. This game I've discovered did have a terrible opening launch.. BUT from all the updates if you have steam to update the game its perfectly fine.... also, DO NOT listen to what anybody has said on this game, its by far the biggest mixed game review game I have seen in years.... so I say let it drop to 20-30$ then get it so you know your not blowing big cash.
  53. Anonymous
    Mar 4, 2007
    I haven't played through the whole game yet, but I can tell you that I have enjoyed what I have seen so fare. I usually don't play fist person shooters. I'm more of an RTS and RPG kind of guy. The AI in this game is the best I've seen for a FPS.
  54. MattK.
    Apr 9, 2007
    One of my favorite things to do in computer games is to hack my enemies to pieces with large pieces of steel. This game allows you to do so in a very graphic and visceral way, which is delightful. There were many times while playing this game that I found myself laughing evilly as heads and limbs flew through the air and bodies rag-dolled their way around leaving blood everywhere. Not to One of my favorite things to do in computer games is to hack my enemies to pieces with large pieces of steel. This game allows you to do so in a very graphic and visceral way, which is delightful. There were many times while playing this game that I found myself laughing evilly as heads and limbs flew through the air and bodies rag-dolled their way around leaving blood everywhere. Not to mention the adrenaline attack where you impale your enemy on your sword - this whole process occurring in slow motion - and then kick him off while blood sprays pleasingly. If this sounds like a good time to you then you will enjoy this game. There's magic and so forth available, but I haven't tried it. Expand
  55. TaylorG.
    May 11, 2007
    I loved the blood sprayin' everywhere! I love it when my fire sword sets them on fire as I impale them. Despite its bugs,the combat system is excellent and the enemies are fun to fught and kick off a ledge or into something.The graphics also really stand out.awesome game.
  56. jordigozalvez
    Jun 11, 2007
    Muy buena jugabilidad, gráficos y libertad para interactuar con el entorno, aunque se queda corto y la historia me resulta abstracta, confusa y demasiado rápida y muy intuitiva. Estaba claro lo que iba a pasar al final. Hay que decir que he disfrutado mucho con este juego. Quizá sea, después del hl y hl2 con el que más he disfrutado. En cuanto a laMuy buena jugabilidad, gráficos y libertad para interactuar con el entorno, aunque se queda corto y la historia me resulta abstracta, confusa y demasiado rápida y muy intuitiva. Estaba claro lo que iba a pasar al final. Hay que decir que he disfrutado mucho con este juego. Quizá sea, después del hl y hl2 con el que más he disfrutado. En cuanto a la modalidad online... deja mucho que desear. Expand
  57. RomanR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I've been looking for a 3d-action style game with character build-up system in place for a long time. Not only does this game have multitude of weapons and combat styles to choose from, this game has great replayability, as the character development system allows for one to choose to be a fighter, assassin, mage, or any combination of skills you like. Awesome job, Ubi! Two thumbs up.
  58. RichardS.
    Jun 9, 2007
    Best single player game I have ever played. Only thing I would like is more game play time, but yet the game play it does have rivals that of oblivion. Also, the graphics are awesome and the world is almost fully interactable. This is a great game.
  59. JasonI.
    Aug 30, 2007
    Wow + TFC built into one great multiplayer experiance. Char development over time in a capture the flag setting makes for a awesome PvP experiance. Great job!! Single player is not to shaby but the multiplayer is a very different type of game play that keeps you wanting more. The char development over multiplayer XP keeps you hooked.
  60. JonnyB.
    Aug 4, 2007
    Great game: Pick from 4 skill trees - the fighter/wizard/archer/assassin - or mix and match through all of them. Wonderful graphics and a great engine to play on. Great fighting scenarios including beheading enemies in bullet time. Amazing!
  61. g33b33
    Aug 6, 2007
    Great game, great graphics! But its too bloody, i think less blood would have done in a better way, but thats only my oppinion i think.
  62. MarkD.
    Sep 16, 2007
    This game had some of the best puzzles, graphics, gameplay and I really liked the story. People keep saying that it was predictable, and maybe you found it very predictable, but the game showed a more realistic look at a fantasy hero than what is normally portrayed in stories in the medieval fantasy setting. I am extremely stunned that this game has seen such poor reviews.
  63. ChrisB.
    Sep 19, 2007
    I think this game perfectly captures the kinetics of melee combat. I've never played another first person game that did it so well. JUST for that, I give it a 9, because everyone else has pretty much sucked at it.
  64. EzraJ.
    Sep 19, 2007
    I was a junkie by the time I finished chapter 1. The storyline may have been predictable but I gave them a good deal of leeway with originality because of the enormously addictive game play. Almost every fight in the game has alternative methods of approach, and can be treated as puzzles instead of your usual hack and slash. The game was a little short, but with four different endings, it I was a junkie by the time I finished chapter 1. The storyline may have been predictable but I gave them a good deal of leeway with originality because of the enormously addictive game play. Almost every fight in the game has alternative methods of approach, and can be treated as puzzles instead of your usual hack and slash. The game was a little short, but with four different endings, it has good replayability. Expand
  65. SpyderC.
    Sep 3, 2007
    This game is a benchmark for future FPS RPGs. It's a great story line, amazing graphics, exquised controls. This game was quite buggy on Vista 64-bit before the 132.xx nvidia drivers and the microsoft patch which allowed video ram to be handled differently. Now it runs flawlessly at 2560x1600.
  66. VictorV.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Excellent gameplay, very good story, outstanding graphics!
  67. GaborP.
    Feb 21, 2008
    I love the full game! It's like being an actor in some kind of fantasy film! Lovely!
  68. MikeA.
    Mar 10, 2008
    Love the game, I always wanted a leveling system and the source engine to be combined, it's as if HL2 and Oblivion have been combined in an action packed adventure that will never leave you half bored.
  69. AdamW.
    Mar 22, 2008
    Not a bad game. Pc version is a lot better then the xbox360 version. enjoyed the story line but mabye ended too fast. Thinking ppl should get a better rig for the game insted of complaining about it crashing and glitching.
  70. TimE.
    Mar 7, 2008
    Probably one of the best games which you can buy on Steam. The Mutliplayer can be funny with friends, really! The singleplayer is just awsome, kicking enemys is just fun. If you are searching for a great game for less than $20, take this one! Really!
  71. KarlL
    Apr 30, 2008
    Great game, greatest sword fighting I've ever seen in game. Storyline is predictable, Levels get a little dull in the middle of the game, Rpg elements are pretty weak. But the combat is just so much fun its all worth it. Best Melee based fps I've ever played. A lot of people have given this game bad reviews based on its buggy launch, I had one where a boss near the end of the Great game, greatest sword fighting I've ever seen in game. Storyline is predictable, Levels get a little dull in the middle of the game, Rpg elements are pretty weak. But the combat is just so much fun its all worth it. Best Melee based fps I've ever played. A lot of people have given this game bad reviews based on its buggy launch, I had one where a boss near the end of the game refused to appear forcing me to choose the bad ending. If I was basing my score on the initial release I would score it much lower, but I'll base it on the fully patched version you can play now. Expand
  72. JohnH.
    Apr 6, 2008
    All those people who gave this game a low rating should just get a better computer. Bugs my ass!
  73. RobertG.
    May 19, 2008
    Excellent game, despite very minor bugs. Absolutely a must!
  74. PoliM.
    May 2, 2008
    Super cool I could die without it.
  75. WilliamG.
    Jun 8, 2008
    This particular game, in my opinion, has nearly perfected the best combat system ever created. I am highly surprised at the Metascore it has received, as I believe it is as good if not better than Half-Life. Either way, I would say this is Ubisoft's best product to date.
  76. TimothyB.
    Jul 10, 2008
    This game was incredible. I was involved with Disciples of Sareth, an awesome fan site during the game's release. I got the deluxe version of the game the day it came out, and I was completely satisfied. There were glitches, but they've been patched. The storyline is rather short and dull, but the action is so entertaining you don't even focus on that. You pay so much This game was incredible. I was involved with Disciples of Sareth, an awesome fan site during the game's release. I got the deluxe version of the game the day it came out, and I was completely satisfied. There were glitches, but they've been patched. The storyline is rather short and dull, but the action is so entertaining you don't even focus on that. You pay so much attention on trying to find a way to kill your enemies or make your way out of dungeons alive....it's an amazing experience every gamer should enjoy. I am hoping for a DM2, where they elaborate more on the storyline and fix their glitches BEFOREhand, but we'll just have to wait and see. For now I will suffice with just hacking goblins in half. Expand
  77. AnonymousMC
    Jan 5, 2009
    This game is really fun , because I used to play World of Warcraft .I wanted to go back to a medieval game but , I still wanted to be able to use Steam Chat , so this was the perfect match.Its use of combat and stealth (which are my two favorite attributes) is amazing , and the spells are just awesome.
  78. JoachimFehr
    Feb 4, 2009
    A great game not bad at all, and i don't get the critics whining, its an great game it had awesome graphics at release date, it was an great storyline and great combat experience i dont see the point in going so much down because of a little bugs, and glitches.
  79. W@MSolo
    Mar 6, 2009
    Ok, so given there is fallout 3 etc now on the market, why give this game a 10? Because the Metascore is just plain wrong. In effect you are getting 2 games for the price of one, and at its bargain price , this is a game no one should not have who enjoys frentic 16 v 16 multiplayer in a oldstyle combat system ( ie : no guns ) The single player story line hooks you in and is a nice mix of Ok, so given there is fallout 3 etc now on the market, why give this game a 10? Because the Metascore is just plain wrong. In effect you are getting 2 games for the price of one, and at its bargain price , this is a game no one should not have who enjoys frentic 16 v 16 multiplayer in a oldstyle combat system ( ie : no guns ) The single player story line hooks you in and is a nice mix of levels followed by story cutscenes, my one negative is, its too easy to complete. I've now played it 3 times trough, just to try out the cominations of powers you purchase as you level up and this is over a year after buying it, I'm back playing the single plyr again. But in truth, the Multiplayer game, which unfortunately cant be metascored, is where this game shines. With a few good clans out there who let you play on their servers for free, and much banter over the in game text or voice, this is a social experience as well as a game. So any ET / Halo / Unreal 3 / bf2142 , etc, player, looking for a change, you'd do well to try this. "For Stonehelm ... CHARGE !!!!" Expand
  80. AnonymousMC
    May 2, 2009
    For me a game is a good game if you are able to play it over and over again. This game is witty, innovative and full of action and I had a lot of fun playing it and always will. The 72 metascore doesn't do the game justice, although the producers could have taken more time and gotten rid of a few bugs. 9/10
  81. AlexS.
    Nov 14, 2006
    I have been waiting for such a game to come out and when I heard it would be using the source engine I was greatly pleased. Wicked Game!
  82. CS
    Nov 14, 2006
    I'm a hardcore gamer and I loved it, classic online play.
  83. LukeK.
    Nov 15, 2006
    Very good game with lots of features but a bit buggy.
  84. NicolasR.
    Nov 16, 2006
    Wonderfull game! Nicely between Oblivion and Thief.
  85. NathanG.
    Nov 2, 2006
    This game in my opinion is the greatest FPS out sense Half-Life... It's really fun, and just plainly amazing to see the environment react with what you do! Plainly awesome game. I can't stop playing!
  86. JonaR.
    Nov 9, 2006
    It's Just a great game and brings an new perspective in action games (body)
  87. NickR.
    Dec 3, 2006
    This game fulfills many aspects of gaming that I really enjoy: solving easy little puzzles, first person pace and energy, and swords + magic. You just can't go wrong. It brings back fond memories of Hexen and Heretic. It's nice to see a FPS of this genre built on such a good gaming engine and not trying to combine itself with an RPG to any extent that it bogs everything down. I This game fulfills many aspects of gaming that I really enjoy: solving easy little puzzles, first person pace and energy, and swords + magic. You just can't go wrong. It brings back fond memories of Hexen and Heretic. It's nice to see a FPS of this genre built on such a good gaming engine and not trying to combine itself with an RPG to any extent that it bogs everything down. I only give it 10 to help raise the average. Realistically, it's a 9.2 Expand
  88. TeodorIkonomov
    Dec 3, 2006
    The Best Game Ever
  89. Anthony
    Oct 25, 2006
    10 Stars! Although there were some glitches on the first day, they updated the game within the first 2 hours. Everything works fine now, and i'm halfway through the game. AMAZING SO FAR!
  90. AlexJ.
    Oct 25, 2006
    Awsome game. The combat system has high potential for user skill development. The scenery is great, and for once AI isn't an idiom.
  91. J.Gollum
    Oct 26, 2006
    A magical mixture of different genre ingredients that suffers almost solely from loading times. Hope a patch will fix those. The replay value is only getting clear to me now, when I'm about 90% through the sp campaign. An instant classic, if anyone asked me.
  92. Alex
    Oct 27, 2006
    Ignore gamespot's review. Clearly the reviewer wasnt playing the same game I was. Great graphics, fantastic 1P combat, and more gore than you can throw a stick at. I wouldn't buy it for the plot - but if gruesome and realstic medieval / fantasy action is your thing then DM will knock your socks off, guaranteed. Just make sure you have a rig that can run it. the HDR effects can Ignore gamespot's review. Clearly the reviewer wasnt playing the same game I was. Great graphics, fantastic 1P combat, and more gore than you can throw a stick at. I wouldn't buy it for the plot - but if gruesome and realstic medieval / fantasy action is your thing then DM will knock your socks off, guaranteed. Just make sure you have a rig that can run it. the HDR effects can get a little intense at times. Expand
  93. FernandoE.
    Oct 27, 2006
    It's an amazaing game,it have an exellent character animation and a lot of fantasy action in a first person game. i have been waiting for somthing like it.
  94. MikeB.
    Oct 27, 2006
    Phenomenal. A must play. Brilliant level design. Brilliant graphics. Supreme adventure. Brutal hack and slash. What more could you ask for?
  95. ClaesM.
    Oct 30, 2006
    A great action rpg with loads of fantastic gfx animations and sounds + awesome music that fits really well.
  96. MarcNoon
    Oct 6, 2006
    I've never been so happy to play a demo before. The entire experience is emersive and challenging. I especially like the the skills you can acquire by just selecting the tab button. It brings up the points you've earned and you can choose the skills for your player. I hope that there are more types of characters btw.
  97. RyanCook
    Aug 9, 2006
    This is no game, it's a masterpiece! By introducing an absolute "clear-cut" combat system, brilliant visuals and innovative multiplayer, DM:MM dominates the majority of other similar (RPG and FPS) games. It redefines the whole aspect of visual warfare and kicks the famous Oblivion game off its throne. All hail to the new king, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
  98. CarstenJaksch
    Sep 19, 2006
    ich schreibs mal in deutsch:
    ich finde dieses spiel großartig mit der grafik die gut aussieht und bei der das spiel noch recht ruckfrei auf meinem computer läuft. Die ganzen features etc. sind auch sehr gut gemacht und das ganze aussehen und die geschichte ist für mich nur eine wertung von 10 wert!!! das beste spiel was ich jeh gesehn hab!
  99. bokfu1
    Nov 30, 2007
    Great game once you get through the learning curve. Lots of action and magic, Play it on hard!
  100. DanielR.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Amazing game!

1. There's really nothing that can match Dark Messiah's combat. The mixture of weaponry and convincingly cause-and-effect physics really does take first-person fighting to new places. [Nov 2006, p.62]
  2. If the game suffers, it's from over-explanation, the occasional lapse in the combat, and the repetitive nature of the environmental weaponry. But I was kept entertained all the way through, and I've never felt so directy responsible for chopping off a goblin's arm. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  3. An outstanding experience. It manages to create a constant sense of threat, includes some stunning set-pieces, and introduces a cast of breathtaking beasts, all within a combat system that is one of the most versatile and violent we have ever seen. [Dec 2006, p.98]