Metascore
85

Generally favorable reviews - based on 42 Critics What's this?

User Score
7.3

Mixed or average reviews- based on 1613 Ratings

Your Score
0 out of 10
Rate this:
  • 10
  • 9
  • 8
  • 7
  • 6
  • 5
  • 4
  • 3
  • 2
  • 1
  • 0
  • 0
  • Summary: With tense dungeon crawling and fearsome enemy encounters, the seamlessly intertwined world of Dark Souls is full of extreme battles, rewarding challenges, nuanced weaponry and magic, and the flexibility to customize each character to suit any desired play style. The innovative onlineWith tense dungeon crawling and fearsome enemy encounters, the seamlessly intertwined world of Dark Souls is full of extreme battles, rewarding challenges, nuanced weaponry and magic, and the flexibility to customize each character to suit any desired play style. The innovative online component allows gamers to draw from the collective experience of the Dark Souls community as they either help or sabotage each other on the journey through the world of Lordran to save the land from darkness. With a massive, seamless open world design, Dark Souls encourages deep exploration and an adaptable gameplay experience. Expand
Score distribution:
  1. Positive: 36 out of 42
  2. Negative: 1 out of 42
  1. Aug 28, 2012
    100
    A bare-bones port can't sully one of the outstanding titles of this generation.
  2. Sep 17, 2012
    91
    If you're not prepared to implement the tweaks and fixes mentioned in this review, then you should stay away from the game or hunt it down on its native consoles instead. If the previously mentioned 360 Review doesn't describe the sort of game you enjoy, then stay away altogether – not even bug fixes and gameplay tweaks will make this a game you like. But if you're willing to implement a couple fan-made patches and you crave a game that's beautiful, dark, cryptic, challenging and just plain unique in so many ways, grab this game and give it a go.
  3. Sep 20, 2012
    90
    Underneath the port inadequacies is a masterful piece of design; intricate and drenched in woe. Dark Souls is infuriating, but well worth the investment in time and shattered patience.
  4. Aug 29, 2012
    88
    This Prepare to Die Edition is far from what the game should have been on the PC, but it still is a masterpiece, a game designed for hardcore players.
  5. Nov 19, 2012
    80
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
  6. Aug 28, 2012
    80
    If you're a hardcore Dark Souls fan, or if you're confident in your ability to wring every last cent of value out of the game, the Prepare to Die Edition is the way to go.
  7. Sep 21, 2012
    40
    This Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is not only the worst console port I've ever played (and I play most of them), it's also one of the worst designed. I mean literally, this game is one step above my character having "lives" and when I run out of those, I'm told to jam quarters into my PC to continue playing. If this is what constitutes a "good console RPG", then I'll sleep soundly at night with the knowledge that I'm not missing a damn thing by not owning a PlayStation 3. I guess I'm alone in understanding this, but supposed difficulty is not a substitute for intelligent design. Dark Souls proves that.

See all 42 Critic Reviews

Score distribution:
  1. May 1, 2015
    10
    I feel that this game is one of the best that I've ever played. I did not find the controls complicated, despite using a keyboard and mouse. II feel that this game is one of the best that I've ever played. I did not find the controls complicated, despite using a keyboard and mouse. I do not see the problem that other people seem to have.
    If you're one of those people that have a huge issue with the graphics, feel free to download the graphics fix, but it was hardly a problem for me.
    Expand
  2. Sep 3, 2012
    10
    its sad that so many ppl r giving this game a 0. yea the keyboard controls are horrible but i've managed 20 hours on em and then put anotherits sad that so many ppl r giving this game a 0. yea the keyboard controls are horrible but i've managed 20 hours on em and then put another 40 with controler (yes i bought 1 just for the game) but that aside this game is simply amazing and depsite all the ppl being buthurt over the controls they shouldnt let that drag down the core of the game Expand
  3. Aug 24, 2012
    10
    Bad Pc port and hard controls but still i really enjoy of this game
  4. Oct 25, 2013
    9
    This took me a long time to get the hang of. In fact, I left the game for about 3-4 months because I ended up playing something else. I cameThis took me a long time to get the hang of. In fact, I left the game for about 3-4 months because I ended up playing something else. I came back to it and started getting better with the combat and learned with ample use of an online guide, how to complete sections of the game.

    It is frustrating, yet it's also meant to be that way. The thing is though, you will beat a particular section, or boss. What I like the most is the absolute isolation you feel playing the game. The environmental effects or firelink shrine music really set the stage.

    There's a lot to this game, so be sure to make the most out of all the guides available on the internet. There's so much variety when it comes to weapons and armor, it really is an RPG lover's wetdream.
    Yes, the PC controls such without a well known mod.

    Yet, I ended up using an Xbox 360 controller (actually went out and bought one for this game) and it works great.
    Expand
  5. Dec 28, 2013
    7
    Pretty good game with a few problems for me.
    In about 75% of the game it's a fair challenge to the player but the rest of the remaining 25%?
    Pretty good game with a few problems for me.
    In about 75% of the game it's a fair challenge to the player but the rest of the remaining 25%? A very unfair memory test (Those percentages are totally not made up btw)

    The first boss for example, a real thrill of a challenge that feels rewarding once you beat him.
    But
    in other cases creatures off screen will just sling a projectile or some gargantuan beast from nowhere will pounce and you're dead. No two ways about it, your dead.
    The camera coupled with the level design can sometimes screw you over, where it'll clip behind a wall and block your complete view.
    I like a challenge, not a memory test of jump scares and OHKs.
    Expand
  6. Aug 25, 2012
    3
    I don't mind that there are no PC exclusive high res texture options. Dark Souls isn't about graphics.
    I don't mind GFWL. Annoying, but
    I don't mind that there are no PC exclusive high res texture options. Dark Souls isn't about graphics.
    I don't mind GFWL. Annoying, but whatever.
    I don't mind the 30 fps frame lock. The gameplay experience is smooth enough.
    I don't mind the limited resolution. On the first day someone already provided a fix for that.

    .. but what I do mind is the fact how insulting the implementation of the controls are. Wake up. This PC version isn't a love-letter from the developer to the PC community. No, the management looked at the 100'000+ petition and thought... wow, easy money. Lets do a port with the least effort possible!

    The result is, that they didn't even bother do remove the windows mouse cursor from the screen while in game! The ingame hints are based on the xbox controller layout and cannot be changed. The keyboard / mouse control method is next to useless. You need to play it in order to see how abysmal the controls actually are.

    "So what? Get a gamepad!" some may cry. The default PC peripherals are mouse and keyboard last time I checked and if you own a gamepad then the chances are pretty decent, that you also own a console. So whats the point of a PC version in the first place? The Dark Souls DLC is coming to consoles later this year anyway.

    But if you already own a gamepad or you're willing to invest into one, then ignore the user ratings, because with a gamepad the gameplay experience is as it should be. Read the official critic reviews, hype yourself up and enjoy one of the best mature RPG experiences that there is out there.
    Expand
  7. Jul 20, 2013
    0
    Worst purchase ever. Terrible controls, for mouse or keyboard. The joypad controls aren't rebindable, and the default bindings are atrocious.Worst purchase ever. Terrible controls, for mouse or keyboard. The joypad controls aren't rebindable, and the default bindings are atrocious. I spent about an hour messing with it before I started using JoyToKey to try and remap my controller. Just got fed up. Maybe it's good, but the intro (even aside from controller issues) shows some tired graphics, incomprehensible story setup, and incredibly bland gameplay, along with a basically nonexistent tutorial. Maybe it gets better later, I don't know, but I'm not going to fight the game for another hour just to find out. Expand

See all 540 User Reviews