7.3

1. Sep 11, 2012
    You should definitely play this game. But remember, when you play you have to want to get better or you'll only frustrate yourself.

Don't be afraid of the children raging about the controls just because they couldn't lower the camera sensitivity on the options menu. Several people already played and beaten this game on full keyboard and keyboard+mouse controls. Some even preffer not using a controler.

Some people rage about the game being unfair and stupid while they try to play the game without learning the basic combat mechanics, without blocking, without locking target or trying to rush everything spaming the attack button on a game where you have a stamina bar. Enough said, the game expects you to analize your sorroundings before proceeding, to take one enemy at time, to learn how to deal with each enemy and each location and to learn from your mistakes, something that some people just can't.

Expect to die. That's part of the game not the end of it. That's how you learn to play the game: by dying and experimenting; observing enemy patterns, learning to parry attacks or when desperate calling help from other players online. Talking to the community, wanting to learn how to play the game and upgrading your gear is also for the best. If you have doubts, don't hesitate to ask. All veteran have once suffered before.
  2. Aug 28, 2012
    TL;DR: Use a controller, and the graphic fix and this game is awesome.

--- I have never given a review on Metacritic before but felt it was important to review this game due to all the surrounding "controversy". THE GAME itself is AWESOME. THE PORT was HORRIBLE (depending on your expectations). It's a 1:1 direct port to PC. Everyone wanted to play this game on PC and now you can,
    TL;DR: Use a controller, and the graphic fix and this game is awesome.

---

THE GAME itself is AWESOME. THE PORT was HORRIBLE (depending on your expectations). It's a 1:1 direct port to PC. Everyone wanted to play this game on PC and now you can, with a few caveats.

IMPORTANT:
    To enjoy this game you MUST use a controller. The game goes from a horrible, unplayable, direct port. To a fun, exciting, easy to control game. Also, it is imperative that you download the graphic fix. Before this fix the game felt like it was straight out of 2000. With the fix, while it's no Skyrim, the graphics get a much needed boost, and become quite beautiful.

PRE controller/graphics rating: 1
    POST controller/graphics rating: 9

I wanted to do this to help people who are on the fence about this game, because while it is a direct port (some may say a lazy port) the ONLY things you need to do are a very minor graphic fix, and use a controller... I don't think thats too much to ask to enjoy a game of this caliber.
  3. Aug 25, 2012
    The atmosphere of this game is amazing, with a minimalistic plot everything in the world is excessively dark. I can't imagine Dark Souls being less difficult, unforgiving, it teaches you that life is more suffering than pleasure, more failure than success. But if you are persistent enough you will be awarded with a pure sense of jubilation. Nothing else in gaming compares to this experience.
  4. Aug 24, 2012
    Due to the bad port, I'd give this 8/10. However, adding the graphical mod and using a controller make both of my main issues with the game a non-issue. Since there are people out there giving 0's I am making this a 10.

Assuming you are playing with a controller (first time I've ever hooked my xbox controller up to my PC but totally worth it) -The controls feel great. -The graphics

-The controls feel great.
    -The graphics are good once modded.
    -The gameplay is solid, not once did I die and think, "Well that was unfair."
    -Combat has weight and strategy.
    -The world is dark medieval fantasy at its best.
    -Boss fights are grand, epic, challenging, and rewarding once taken down.
    -Armor is interesting.
    -Weapons look neat and feel distinct.
    -Difficulty is just right.
    -Death is an expected teaching mechanic. -You are punished for making bad decisions but through those decisions you come up with new ideas. -This game punishes you with death for making bad decisions but it rewards you for playing smart.
    -Each encounter is consistent, deliberate, and gives the player plenty of opportunity to make the right decisions.

At the end of the day, Dark Souls delivers the same experience as consoles but with some extra content, a faster framerate, cheaper price point, and the potential to pickup a mod for higher resolution textures.

Play this with a USB controller, my xbox controller had no issues syncing up for this game. I highly recommend people play this game on any system they can get their hands on. Just make sure your have a controller if you get the PC version.
  5. Aug 25, 2012
    Great game with a basic port. It is well worth whatever minor inconvenience the port poses to be able to play this unbelievably great game. Personally, i just got a gamepad and all problems were solved. Thanks so much to the developer for bringing this to the PC platform.
  6. Aug 24, 2012
    the game is amazing. amazing enough to get a 9 or 10. the port is crap, but the resolution fix from durante has saved form software from a catastrophe and it may as well make them some money. i have seen plenty of people double dipping just because of this resolution fix. myself included. if thats what it takes to get this game to have good sales, thats fine. maybe we can all hopethe game is amazing. amazing enough to get a 9 or 10. the port is crap, but the resolution fix from durante has saved form software from a catastrophe and it may as well make them some money. i have seen plenty of people double dipping just because of this resolution fix. myself included. if thats what it takes to get this game to have good sales, thats fine. maybe we can all hope about a good next game in the series coming to pc. dark souls gets a 10. port gets a 5. Expand
  7. Aug 24, 2012
    The game itself is a great RPG, it is however quite difficult - the combat system will get you killed pretty often, the boss fights are tough (assuming you play without reading spoilers), there are also no maps in game and every death puts you back at last checkpoint while also respawning all monsters. Now, keep in mind this is a CONSOLE PORT. It was meant to be a console port and it is aThe game itself is a great RPG, it is however quite difficult - the combat system will get you killed pretty often, the boss fights are tough (assuming you play without reading spoilers), there are also no maps in game and every death puts you back at last checkpoint while also respawning all monsters. Now, keep in mind this is a CONSOLE PORT. It was meant to be a console port and it is a console port. You need a gamepad (I used Razer Onza) to really enjoy the controls. Also make sure to get the Durante's mod that unlock internal buffer size - it's a must have! Out of the box the game looks horribly on 1080p screen, after switching the buffer size to 3840x2160px it's a completely different game! Expand
  8. Aug 25, 2012
    For those coming from the shiny generic tale of Diablo III, Dark Souls takes an approach to story in the same vein as Diablo II: The world has been created and populated with a great background, but it is up to you to find it, instead of it being shoved into your face with endless cut-scenes and minutes-long exposition. The game itself is strict but fair; any mistakes made will be punishedFor those coming from the shiny generic tale of Diablo III, Dark Souls takes an approach to story in the same vein as Diablo II: The world has been created and populated with a great background, but it is up to you to find it, instead of it being shoved into your face with endless cut-scenes and minutes-long exposition. The game itself is strict but fair; any mistakes made will be punished severely but the game will never cheat. Similar to Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, you will get to the end of the game not by brute-forcing it, but by becoming a better player. It is one of the most rewarding games to play on PC.

It is just a shame that such an amazing game has been let down by one of the worst ports in memory, regardless of the player-made fixes available.
  9. Aug 24, 2012
    Well, us PC gamers asked for it and we got it. Dark Souls - Prepare to Die is just as fun as the original console game, with the added bonus of several hours worth of new content. However, it's dragged down somewhat by quality of the port. Granted, this is the first ever PC port From Soft has attempted, so they ported it with the intention that it was to be played with a PC gamepad.Well, us PC gamers asked for it and we got it. Dark Souls - Prepare to Die is just as fun as the original console game, with the added bonus of several hours worth of new content. However, it's dragged down somewhat by quality of the port. Granted, this is the first ever PC port From Soft has attempted, so they ported it with the intention that it was to be played with a PC gamepad. Keyboard and mouse controls are kind of clumsy, but still tolerable. Expand
  10. Aug 24, 2012
    Pc gamers give pc gamers a bad name. One of the best games of all time down voted because it is the exact same as the console (not entirely true, extra content + durante's rez fix + better frame rates make this the ultimate version). Just goes to show that PC gamers dont actually like great games, they like epeen things like $1000 video cards and 3-monitor setups. Meh, their loss.
  11. Aug 25, 2012
    Superb game & decent enough port what are you waiting for buy it now. PC version is way better than the console versions its the definitive version of this superb game. There is a lot of misinformation about this being a poor port its not at all. Its certainly not the best looking game ever made but also with the upscaling graphical mods (check the neogaf forums) now available it looksSuperb game & decent enough port what are you waiting for buy it now. PC version is way better than the console versions its the definitive version of this superb game. There is a lot of misinformation about this being a poor port its not at all. Its certainly not the best looking game ever made but also with the upscaling graphical mods (check the neogaf forums) now available it looks very good in places & is very well optimised on PC. The higher resolution alone makes it look a lot better than the console but throw in the mods, AF filtering, instant load times, vsync & smooth FPS combine to make it a decent enough technical experience. Its designed around the MS 360 gamepad & wokrs very well with that. KB+mouse is not the best way to play this but still possible. This game has superb atmosphere, art direction, voice acting & creature/work designs. One of the best games ever made & also one of the hardest its not an easy game but also not as challenging as others its more about exploration & making the right choices. GFWL works very well here but most of the time you will not even notice its present apart from the achievements appearing onscreen (you can even disable these notifications if you do not want to break atmosphere). Ignore the BS & hate campaigns against this game its one of the best ever made & just has a unique & superb atmosphere. Only a 3.7GB install as the game is so well optimised & the textures highly compressed. No pointless lengthy FMV here or dialog to waste disc space its so the install size is small but the game world is still pretty large. Expand
  12. Aug 24, 2012
    Its strange that this game was release in only 720p, a shame really.... don't let that discourage you though.
    you see this game is still just as amazing as before and the new content is every bit completely worth it! although im obviously not going to spoil that.
    Let me add that there is a patch that puts this game into 1080p and i have to say the game looks amazing now that Ive applied this patch hopefully the developers will release it as an official patch now that its been created.
  13. Aug 24, 2012
    This game is a direct console port. They didn't even remap the Xbox buttons to interact with things. But that's ok, they still released a PC version by community request. I highly recommend playing this game with a Xbox controller, or a PS3 controller using MotionJoy DS3 Tool to emulate a Xbox controller--this is what I do, and it plays perfectly like the PS3 version. Next thing IThis game is a direct console port. They didn't even remap the Xbox buttons to interact with things. But that's ok, they still released a PC version by community request. I highly recommend playing this game with a Xbox controller, or a PS3 controller using MotionJoy DS3 Tool to emulate a Xbox controller--this is what I do, and it plays perfectly like the PS3 version. Next thing I recommend is to get the community made resolution fix located here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=108

The difference is unbelievable, and will make your game look phenomenal.
  14. Aug 24, 2012
    This is exactly what we were promised. If you are disappointed, then that is your fault. The game looks and basically plays the same as it did on the 10 year old console hardware that it was originally developed for. Of course it doesn't look like a new state of the art PC game. Also, if you came into this thinking that you were going to play on a keyboard, and are now complainingThis is exactly what we were promised. If you are disappointed, then that is your fault. The game looks and basically plays the same as it did on the 10 year old console hardware that it was originally developed for. Of course it doesn't look like a new state of the art PC game. Also, if you came into this thinking that you were going to play on a keyboard, and are now complaining about the controls...you're an idiot, straight up. Did you know/read nothing about this game before purchasing it? Thanks to From-Software for listening to it's consumers and actually releasing this. Expand
  15. Aug 28, 2012
    All the complaints about the bad keyboard & mouse controls infuriate me. This game is MEANT TO BE PLAYED WITH A CONTROLLER. I too, hate the fact that the PC controls suck... But this is a non-issue if you plug in a controller. I would give this game 11 / 10 just to make up for the low ratings from people who are to dumb to plug in a controller. This is the best. gaming. experience. Ive.All the complaints about the bad keyboard & mouse controls infuriate me. This game is MEANT TO BE PLAYED WITH A CONTROLLER. I too, hate the fact that the PC controls suck... But this is a non-issue if you plug in a controller. I would give this game 11 / 10 just to make up for the low ratings from people who are to dumb to plug in a controller. This is the best. gaming. experience. Ive. ever. had. When playing Dark Souls, I feel like being young again and sitting in front of the old Zelda titles, immersed in the game. I just want to say thank you to the developers... Thank you. Expand
  16. Aug 24, 2012
    This game is not a great port, but it's not a terrible one either. Despite what some people would have you believe, you don't have to have a controller to play this PC game. Having analogue sticks would certainly make controlling a bit more precise, but I've had no problems playing with keyboard alone. The default config is working fine for me, but the keys are completely remappableThis game is not a great port, but it's not a terrible one either. Despite what some people would have you believe, you don't have to have a controller to play this PC game. Having analogue sticks would certainly make controlling a bit more precise, but I've had no problems playing with keyboard alone. The default config is working fine for me, but the keys are completely remappable in-game, so there's really no excuses to complain about the controls. It's true that the in-game prompts don't display the keyboard keys, but if you can't even be bothered to read the manual and see what the controls are before playing a game you're not qualified to write a review for it in my opinion. Despite the minor issues I feel this game is fully deserving of a 10/10 based on the gameplay alone. This is the sort of thing all games should aspire to be. Expand
  17. Aug 24, 2012
    It's Dark Souls, on pc and it's a 10. It's an exact port of the best console game/ game of this generation. Seriously ignore the high pitched girlyman resolution/keyboard/mouse/gfwl/consoleportomfgshtuup background whine and just buy an xbox gamepad. I really really wish i could be playing it again for the first time just to experience it with fresh eyes. It has a game world full of weirdIt's Dark Souls, on pc and it's a 10. It's an exact port of the best console game/ game of this generation. Seriously ignore the high pitched girlyman resolution/keyboard/mouse/gfwl/consoleportomfgshtuup background whine and just buy an xbox gamepad. I really really wish i could be playing it again for the first time just to experience it with fresh eyes. It has a game world full of weird mystery, memorable characters and some of the most awesome and imaginative bosses and combat ever. It hints where other games crap exposition over you, and a winding twisting design to the levels that really impresses once you understand what is going on.

There is nothing remotely close to this on pc.
  18. Aug 24, 2012
    Bad Pc port and hard controls but still i really enjoy of this game
  19. Aug 24, 2012
    To all people who are downrating it because the game because it is a port. I have to ask, what did you expect, Fromsoftware is an EXTREMELY small company who barely had the manpower to make the game for ps3 and xbox. If they wanted to make a perfect pc port, they would have had to rewrite the entire code for the game, by themselves, which would have been impossible. Fromsoftware gaveTo all people who are downrating it because the game because it is a port. I have to ask, what did you expect, Fromsoftware is an EXTREMELY small company who barely had the manpower to make the game for ps3 and xbox. If they wanted to make a perfect pc port, they would have had to rewrite the entire code for the game, by themselves, which would have been impossible. Fromsoftware gave the information that it would be a port from xbox before it was released and anyone who didn't know this, or rather is downrating because of it, shouldn't be a little **** about it Expand
  20. Aug 24, 2012
    LOL at those giving it a bad score just because you suck at it. Ungrateful PC players trashing a game that the DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES already said that they weren't fully developing for PC. It's a decent to bad port, but plays just like on console with a Xbox Controller. Areas where frames used to drop don't drop anymore (Blighttown, Demon's Ruins),

Just because you're bad at the game,

Just because you're bad at the game, and because it isn't shiny, don't whine. Ungrateful PC players :) as usual. Go play Battlefield 3 or Skyrim (easy games that hold your hand and have a no-need-to-think gameplay). You weren't even supossed to get this game. Ever. Now I hope next time you don't get nothing at all. Whine some more.
  21. Feb 26, 2014
    A: You MUST have a console controller to play this game in a way that is fun.

That out of the way, Dark Souls really does deserve the love it gets. Harsh but very enjoyable, it hearkens back to when Video games demanded that you BEAT them, not just went along for a ride with a pat on the head and unlimited everything.

Hoping the Dark Souls 2 port to PC is a bit cleaner.
  22. May 30, 2014
    When I purchased this port it was nearly unplayable. After six months of occasional stabs at it, buying an Xbox controller, and turning the graphics way down, I finally started to get into Dark Souls, and a few months later I can say it is now one of the greatest games I've ever played. Its world, art, combat system, and game mechanics all transcend its peers. The world of Lordran isWhen I purchased this port it was nearly unplayable. After six months of occasional stabs at it, buying an Xbox controller, and turning the graphics way down, I finally started to get into Dark Souls, and a few months later I can say it is now one of the greatest games I've ever played. Its world, art, combat system, and game mechanics all transcend its peers. The world of Lordran is worth mentioning in particular, because it is Dark Soul's main character. I never imagined a level designer could communicate so much through architecture and geography as was done through Lordran. Expand
  23. Apr 20, 2014
    This review is for the fully modded PC version.
    This review is for the fully modded PC version.
    The modded version of this game is an adult RPG masterpiece. This game is the ultimate thinking mans rpg. The game has a great look and feel to it. The combat is tough and best used with a gamepad. The sound and the voice acting are really unique. I would have given the game a 10 if it wasn't for its bizarre and tough to follow story. Don't be scared off by the toughness of this game. Follow the path of least resistance and you'll be fine.
  24. Dec 20, 2013
    This game really isn't that hard, but it's still a lot of fun.
    The combat is addicting, the world is big and theres a lot of replay ablity.

The port sucks though.
  25. May 17, 2014
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    Average User Score: 7.2
    May 8, 2014 8 Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ImageI'll be honest with you. This is game is actually one of the best of this generation and offers so many unique aspect lost on modern games. That feeling you get for just achieving something so simple is amazing, lost on so many recent titles. Sadly a would be perfect
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    Average User Score: 7.2
    May 8, 2014

Sadly a would be perfect experience is ruined by a sloppy port.
  26. Nov 29, 2013
    This game must be my new Favorite!
    Even with all the problems with the port, this game is simply stunning, not only to look at (it is beautiful) but also gameplay wise. The death works in this game is brilliant, it forces you to go deeper into the unknown everytime, you ever feel safe but its so much more satisfying if you achive a victory.
    It might take a while intil you finally dive
    This game must be my new Favorite!
    It might take a while intil you finally dive deep into the game (it took 3 seperate starts for me) you will be locked into it and then there will be no escape!
    If you are a PC gamer that can handle an easy install of a few patches and LOOOOOOOOVE RPG's this game is simply a must have.
    the mere fact that I give this game a 10/10 even though it has so many problems should speak for it self.
  27. Aug 6, 2013
    Potentially the best game in the last 5 years and rivals the massive titles launched 2007/2008. Most people will be put off on the difficulty of the game but its actually not as hard as people make out, its normally user error that leads to deaths, or people being unwilling to try things and fail. The animations are extremely fluid and weapons have weight and operate fundamentallyPotentially the best game in the last 5 years and rivals the massive titles launched 2007/2008. Most people will be put off on the difficulty of the game but its actually not as hard as people make out, its normally user error that leads to deaths, or people being unwilling to try things and fail. The animations are extremely fluid and weapons have weight and operate fundamentally different leading to varied combat for different user preferences. This game takes a lot of common sense, situational awareness, and a little trial and error. Its a massive story which is filled with depth and ambiguity which is the point of an RPG its not to spoon feed us a story and make us use waist high cover to grind through 20 hours of game play. This is a world, a hostile world, a world filled with love and hate and the story is no different, if you are not willing to take risks or meet the game half way you will have a terrible experience, however, if you do then I promise that this would be one of the only games in your collection you will pick up months and years from now. If you want to button mash and kill everything like a unkillable god then this is not really the game for you, if you like games where you can be in a half-stupor and clear everything this is not the game for your. This is a game for people who like/love a challenge, a rich story which you need to put a lot of work forward to understand. Its for people who like combat which is more "realistic" you approach fights like a human being rather than a video game character, you value your shield more than your sword, you need to find their weaknesses, you need to use your strengths. If next week people were required to reduce every game they own to just 3 titles and those are the only video games they could play, Dark souls would make my list. Having said all of that there are some negatives I personally dont find them very bad but they definitely hold it back from a "perfect" score. Firstly you need a gamepad I wouldn't presume to recommend one in particular, but mouse and keyboard are (to put it kindly) clunky. And many users have a Low resolution problem, which can be fixed very easily using a number of methods.

Its a tough game, its unforgiving, it may not have the narrative break through of Bioshock, the atmosphere of Shadow of the Colossus, or the game play breakthrough of Super Mario Brothers but this is a game which deserves to be talked about in the same circles as those greats. What it does well it does in spades, and I as a long term gamer for the better half of my life, really respect it when a game is willing to treat me like a thinking adult, and makes me work for something. The struggle bears amazing fruit in this astounding title which will leave you pondering your choices, and what effect they will have on the world. I highly recommend it.
  28. Aug 11, 2013
    Dark Souls is an incredible RPG. There's not much more to say about it, the better way of understand is playing it. I must advise, you gonna DIE! A LOT! But, in the end, you gonna love it, 'cause it's a very, very challenging game. I have to say, the PC version is not that good, because of the graphics' issue, the excessively high pc requirements for a good performance in the game and theDark Souls is an incredible RPG. There's not much more to say about it, the better way of understand is playing it. I must advise, you gonna DIE! A LOT! But, in the end, you gonna love it, 'cause it's a very, very challenging game. I have to say, the PC version is not that good, because of the graphics' issue, the excessively high pc requirements for a good performance in the game and the difficult itself. This, if I don't say the bad keyboards/mouse controls. But, even this way, the game is amazing. The gameplay is perfect, the enemies are perfect, the battle-system is quite good. And, as you can see, and as I said, there's not much to say about the game, but there's a lot to play. So, let's prepare ourselves, and let's go die!! Expand
  29. Nov 19, 2013
    This game has an awful BUT after u install and setup the unofficial patch the game is just great combat RPG lv-up elements, and finally not a game that babysits u and hold your hand... game is full of mini boss and boss fights and most of the game u will feel changed buy ai. Exploration on your own, sudden deaths, and so much depth of what looks like basic RPG is just so immersive.
    I had
    I had some issues with Big Hat Logain and had to kill last boss whit basic magics but it only made it even more rewarding at the end. Am not sure i even want to talk about awesome mp features of the game 9.9 from me but am not sure how to do it so will give it a 10 :)
    gamepad is a must
  30. Sep 4, 2014
    Get gamepad controller, DSfix (to tweak performance and quality) and DSCfix (for better connection with friend-list players and either non-friend with DSCfix installed), so you are ready to go (it will be long)...

Dark Souls is just perfectly done old-school Action-RPG, not affected with latest games "innovations" (sarkasm). #Great world (not kilometers long, dull, empty world, its

#Great world (not kilometers long, dull, empty world, its some sort of open, just great designed, where everything fits with everything , with atmosphere around, interconnected areas which makes exploration awesome, very interesting locations, no chances to boring around),
    #Greatly done, deep combat, especially boss fights and PvP, near every weapon have diffirent movesets, here are comboses, blocks, counters, rolls, jumping attacks, challenging enemies, everything what makes combat superior, need to play some more time it out to know what I'm talkin about, only backstabbs are some sort of cheap feature,
    #Character development - earned souls are like expierience points and some sort of cash, raising attributes is well done, there are plenty of them, which every of them have affect on our gameplay, inventory managment is great too, lot of customization and good upgrade weapons/armors system, And there are no best equipment, it all depends how are you playing and how do you use things to make yourself complete...
    #World lore and characters - who goes deep in game, knows what Im talking about,
    #Game design - art design of game is just excellent... Everything in game is not generic, is just well crafted, detailed as hell, world locations, enemies, bosses (awesome), items, evetything around looks like hand made masterpiece, From Software earned applaus again here,
    #Sound effects - good, which fits to game, einvorment SFX, and soundtrack, which some tracks here are again some memorable masterpiece (Four Kings theme, Golem/Stray theme, Gwyn theme),
    #Gameplay/Atmosphere - game plays excellent and long, well done controls if played on gamepad ( well, its console port), combat, exploration, suiting yourself with better things, discovering deep world around and rich game mechanics, nothing more to tell ;), no chances to gets bored, atmosphere of game is thick as hell,
    #Online interactions - well there are messages leaving system, PvP and Co-operation system, and other miscelanous things, that shows other players egsistence, Well there are flaws and bad things, but about bad later. PvP and Co-op are great additions which makes gameplay more and more awesome, combat system is just great for PvP (tons of people just made characters for PvP only). On beggining it can be overhelming, but after some hours spended here it will be superior expierience.... And there are a lot of various covenants, which have affect on how we will interact online.
    #Artorias of the Abyss DLC content - fullfilment to the core game, great quality addition, best bosses from the game here,

Bad things
    #Port quality - issues can be fixed with DSfix tool, mentioned above,
    #Online play quality - one big mess here, annoying GFWL system, all time lags (you must all time think some seconds forward, forseeing alot), not depending a lot on our connection quality, damn bad players pairing, most of time invasion/summoning failed communicates, often disconnections, it makes online playing only for players with some patience, I didnt ever saw worse than that online playing system on my eyes, check it out to get qucikly annoyed....

So final - game is overall masterpiece. From Software made near perfect game, made for gamers, not just for commercials (sadly, Dark Souls 2 gone to wrong way...) Game that you need to play, if you like action-RPG (well mixed, lot of action), with great depth in its, a lot of memorable things there, 10/10 note fully desreved. Issues to bad port quality can be easily fixed, so I dont take that on final opinion. One of the best games made ever. That's not a lie people, play it by yourselfs. Worth buying without any hestitations, and its very cheap to buy in this time.
  31. Sep 16, 2014
    The game itself is amazing, graphics are pretty nice, the flow of the map and game run very nice and the lore is pretty damn cool if you look it up. The controls is what people seem to have the biggest issue with and yeah it's not as smooth as a lot of games but you can use a controller or download a mod to fix things up.

At first I wasn't a fan of the game in the 30 minutes I took to

At first I wasn't a fan of the game in the 30 minutes I took to try it, seemed difficult and the controls did get to me but after giving this game a second chance and installing a mouse mod to help I really came to love the game. I have beat it twice now and am on my third run through, I always find myself looking up more lore about the game because it is so interesting. I would give the game overall a 9 out of 10 but I am giving it a 10 here to offset the stupid reviews here giving it a 0 for no reason but them being to dumb to comprehend anything about this game.

Buy this game if you like a good challenge and wanna try something new.
  32. Oct 14, 2014
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is everything an RPG Fan seeking for a little more challenge could ever hope for. This is hands down one of the hardest AAA games in the last 10 years, but having excellent gameplay that requires alot of dedication and time to master.
    The story, while not easily understood by the average player, isn't actually too bad - if you take the time to read item descriptions, listen to the more than often mad NPCs and keep adding new pieces to this story puzzle.

Only downsides are:
    - weak graphics & technical execution ( INSTALL DSFIX!!! IT TAKES LESS THAN 5 MINUTES AND WILL MAKE THE GAME ALOT MORE ENJOYABLE!!!)
    - unplayable keyboard controls (you definitely want a gamepad for this)
    - Online features not working as intended, mainly due to Games for Windows Live ( Thanks, Microsoft.)

But all of those points (except the online thing sadly) can be easily fixed and once solved, provide a unique gaming "experience". Yes I did just use the word experience. Dark Souls is literally a journey of emotions, from depression to unlimited joy. Just don't give up on it.
  33. Jan 8, 2013
    Dark Souls is a bad PC-port but it's not unplayable. Playing with a keyboard and a mouse is possible but not easy (with a controller it's a lot easier).There is no excuse for these problems and as you're playing it becomes clear that the developers did not put any effort into making the game suitable for PC. You have to resort to community-created fixes and mods to get past the problemsDark Souls is a bad PC-port but it's not unplayable. Playing with a keyboard and a mouse is possible but not easy (with a controller it's a lot easier).There is no excuse for these problems and as you're playing it becomes clear that the developers did not put any effort into making the game suitable for PC. You have to resort to community-created fixes and mods to get past the problems that they should've taken care of but apparently were too lazy to. Even the tutorial is for people with X-Box controllers and the mouse is always jittery.

The game is difficult but that's basically the trademark of Dark Souls so I don't consider that a negative. It was meant to be hard and it's clearly not meant to be played by casual gamers seeking purely entertainment. The game doesn't tell you the story the traditional way - by handing it for you on a silver platter. Instead you have to be interested yourself - you need to combine the pieces you got from talking to NPCs, reading item descriptions, looking at the game environment and deducing into a story. Not a groundbreaking story but a decent story.

One thing I absolutely love about this game is the bosses. Oftentimes they do not really have any ties to the story but they are so difficult that beating them feels rewarding, like you truly accomplished something. The people who designed the bosses had a good imagination; each and every boss is interesting and unique. Not that there are any complaints about your everyday enemies in this game.

Gameplay is absolutely fantastic and that's a good thing because that's what this game is completely based around. You don't need to sit through 30-min cutscenes, instead you can play the game itself and that's all you need to ever do. You are fighting enemies more powerful than yourself so combat is not just mindless button mashing. In combat, you have many options and not just "boring attack 1" and "boring attack 2" and to win you need to know how to use all the different mechanics. You need to be patient and getting from point A to point B is never easy as enemies never disappear - they respawn always if you rest at a checkpoint.

If you're looking for a challenge and a certain old RPG-charm (and you can stand playing the game with a keyboard and mouse or you are ready to buy a controller which you shouldn't have had to buy) then you've found your game.
  34. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is an amazing game. Really, it is. It puts you into a world of endless impending doom, which is great for getting into the game. The game gives a tough challenge, and even though the game gets slightly bad in design near the end of the game, it still gives you a great atmosphere and a great experience, with heaps of re-playability.

Don't be scared of the difficulty, and don't

Don't be scared of the difficulty, and don't be scared of the PC port. You can easily either download a mod or just play it, it will only hinder the experience slightly. The game also has great graphics, with good textures and some very good models, with detail in every inch of the environment.

Even though the console port is sloppy, it really doesn't hinder the experience much. Play this game, and love it.
  35. Sep 7, 2012
    Dark Souls lives up to its predecessor, and the PC version, despite being poorly optimized, is no exception. This game has tense combat, challenging exploration, stunning graphics, and a minimal but well crafted story that encourages the player to fill in the blanks. But when you reach a boss, you bloody well know it!!
    I dare you to play this game!!
  36. Apr 10, 2013
    There are issues to this port. Google: steam dark souls tweak. It will lead you to a guide which fixes many of hte problems. my graphics improved greatly, and fps improved greatly.

Been gaming since chrono trigger on the Snes. In terms of best single player game, this ties with chrono trigger. In terms of best gameplay in a single player game, this is it. The game is hard, and you learn by dying. And it's awesome. You have to pay attention to every fight, or you can die to the smallest creature. The combat is challenging. For the first time, I feel like I'm actually exploring. There is no map, so you have to pay attention to your surroundings.

This is the first single player game I've send more then twenty hours playing in years. Others may be pretty, but theyare boring.
  37. Dec 27, 2012
    I believe that the official reviewers should have given the game reduced scores for the poor port: controls and graphics, but I bought a controller, used the patch and this game is amazing.
  38. Mar 26, 2013
    Plug in a controller, install the DSfix mod to play the game at 60fps, and enjoy this game as it was meant to be played. The Dark Souls/Demon's Souls games are some of my favorite games of all time. The challenge is very rewarding. The story isn't spoon-fed to the player like most other games out there. Instead, the player needs to be observant, investigate by talking to npcs, and look atPlug in a controller, install the DSfix mod to play the game at 60fps, and enjoy this game as it was meant to be played. The Dark Souls/Demon's Souls games are some of my favorite games of all time. The challenge is very rewarding. The story isn't spoon-fed to the player like most other games out there. Instead, the player needs to be observant, investigate by talking to npcs, and look at item descriptions to uncover the many gems about the Dark Souls world. I have played this game on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. I will say the PC version is the best if you go through the 5 minutes of work to polish this game by installing dsfix. Make sure you read the readme before installing the mod! The only flaw this game has is the networking. It can be very difficult to connect to your friends worlds, but once you connect to them once, it is a lot easier to connect again. Expand
  39. Sep 19, 2013
    Let me clear things up for the people that are complaining, dark souls was not made for the PC originally and was ported from the console version, people are complaining about the graphics, well you own a computer, take 2 minutes out of your time and download and install DSfix and boom, lovely graphics, 60fps which you can lock if you want, it's not meant to be played with a mouse andLet me clear things up for the people that are complaining, dark souls was not made for the PC originally and was ported from the console version, people are complaining about the graphics, well you own a computer, take 2 minutes out of your time and download and install DSfix and boom, lovely graphics, 60fps which you can lock if you want, it's not meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard because once again, it's a console port and it was made by FromSoftware for people who wished to have it on PC, quite a while after the console version was released. Now for the game itself, the gameplay mechanics are wonderful and the game is deep and challenging, people give it a bad rep because they have no patience and are used to the linear hack and slash two hit kills gameplay they get from other sword and shield games (the type that take about 2 hours to complete), the story is incredibly deep and is purposely shrouded in mystery in order for the player to discover it and see the depth and journey for himself instead of handing it out on a silver platter. It's a masterpiece of a game, unrivaled by any other RPG to date. Expand
  40. Sep 22, 2013
    Best game I have ever played. I love the difficulty, and that amazing feeling of reward after getting through a tough section/boss. On top of that for only spending about 20 bucks at the time I got almost 100 hours of game play on my first play through! The only thing that is a potential downside with an easy fix is that you need to download a 3rd party file to fix some of the FPS issues,Best game I have ever played. I love the difficulty, and that amazing feeling of reward after getting through a tough section/boss. On top of that for only spending about 20 bucks at the time I got almost 100 hours of game play on my first play through! The only thing that is a potential downside with an easy fix is that you need to download a 3rd party file to fix some of the FPS issues, and I would highly recommend you have a game pad. Expand
  41. Nov 19, 2014
    There is no reason not much to write, this is a must play, so in a nutshell. Best game of the last generation and one of the best game in history. Enjoy this refined diamond!!!
  42. Aug 31, 2012
    It takes some time to get used to the controls and u HAVE to dl the fan made patch, but after all this is done u gonna have the best time in a (finally, wake up bioware ffs!) well crafted RPG. As a hardcore RPG(er?) dating back to Baldur's gate and PS:T i can honestly say that this is one of the best RPG's i played in a loong time.. (including ME123 DA12 Witcher2 )
    If u really like this
    If u really like this style u wont let a crappy control thingy get in ur way. and btw for those who have a hard time with the keyboard (after much bashing): esc = menu navigate= page up / down enter = space going back = backspace more info = ins and del. happy Titanite hunting!
  43. Aug 31, 2012
    This game is AMAZING. It is really challenging, it is strategic, it is interesting and it is a really bad port of one of my favorite games on the PS3.
    But I don´t want to give this game a bad rating because it is that good. You really only can play this game with a gamepad for starters, so if you already got the console version stay away from the PC release.
    Graphics aren´t
    Graphics aren´t any better then the PS3 version and Games for Windows live is annoying.
    However if you don´t own a console then my dear PC-User you should get this game right away, I am not joking, I was blown away by this game from the start where I just kept on dying to the end where Gargoyles feared my appearance to the amazing PVP System in this game that it made me quickly forget about how sloppy the port actually is.
  44. Sep 5, 2012
    One of the best games of this decade. This port has a few flaws however: GFWL, Xbox controller is a MUST and the multiplayer is often bugged but the game itself is so close to perfection it still deserves 10/10
  45. Aug 31, 2012
    An excellent game buried under a bad console port.
    This game is just great , but i am afraid you need a controller for this game , but believe me , it is worth the money.
  46. Sep 3, 2012
    This is one of the most amazing games I have ever played. As a first time Dark Souls player, I was very refreshed when I realized how amazing of a game this is, it's one of the most unique games I've ever played. All of these negative reviews for graphics are laughable, I'm sorry it takes literally 2 minutes to install the res fix and it makes the game look better than Skyrim with theThis is one of the most amazing games I have ever played. As a first time Dark Souls player, I was very refreshed when I realized how amazing of a game this is, it's one of the most unique games I've ever played. All of these negative reviews for graphics are laughable, I'm sorry it takes literally 2 minutes to install the res fix and it makes the game look better than Skyrim with the graphics mod. I have only played it with a 360 controller, while the controls for PC are quite bad, the game is only $40 and not $60 like 99% of all other games. I have already logged in over 100 hours on this game and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. The only downside for me, is GFWL. Expand
  47. Sep 6, 2012
    Even though this is a poorly optimized port with brutal keyboard and mouse controls, a capped low resolution, and only two graphical options for pc gamers to tweak on/off (motion blur and anti-aliasing). Dark Souls is still one of the most incredible games of this generation, if you can handle the brutal difficulty. The thing I appreciate about this game is the uniquely old-school designEven though this is a poorly optimized port with brutal keyboard and mouse controls, a capped low resolution, and only two graphical options for pc gamers to tweak on/off (motion blur and anti-aliasing). Dark Souls is still one of the most incredible games of this generation, if you can handle the brutal difficulty. The thing I appreciate about this game is the uniquely old-school design of this game. Your dropped in the middle of a harrowing yet utterly beautiful world and have to fend off horrible and extremely creative beasts with amazing controls (if you're using a gamepad) that are not to complicated to learn but really engaging and rewarding in use. It's an open world is designed so expertly that you dont even need a map. You're always unlocking new shortcuts which makes the world very intertwined and easy to navigate. One of the best games I have ever played. Expand
  48. Aug 29, 2012
    Firs My advice for those noobs who complains about graphic res...Download "DS fix from Dante" (google :dark souls dante) it will increase resolution of the game and plug in the controller !

The game itself is great! it's true that playing with a keyboard and mouse is frustrating becuse game was oryginaly made for consols and its 1:1 port!, but probably fromsoftware will improve it in the next patch. Playing with a pad is pure pleasant :)
  49. Sep 6, 2012
    This is the best game I have played in 3 years. I have to assume that most of the negative reviewers are angry because they find the game too difficult, yet need a less embarrassing excuse to write flame commentary. Everyone needs a soapbox, and this game has provided that for people on both sides of the fence. I've heard a great argument, that wanting to play Dark Souls with anythingThis is the best game I have played in 3 years. I have to assume that most of the negative reviewers are angry because they find the game too difficult, yet need a less embarrassing excuse to write flame commentary. Everyone needs a soapbox, and this game has provided that for people on both sides of the fence. I've heard a great argument, that wanting to play Dark Souls with anything but a game pad is like playing competitive racing games online with a keyboard. Ignore the whiners who serve only to dilute our demographic with more noob-friendly on-rails trite; without a doubt, this game will grab anyone who values gameplay, ambience, and immersion. For a port, this game runs smoothly and crash-free, the art is exquisite, the environment more immersive than ANY game in recent memory, and the gameplay is fair, challenging, and always fresh. With the resolution fix (dsfix) and a gamepad, this game is a solid 11/10 (yes, ELEVEN). Expand
  50. Sep 13, 2012
    Worst port ever made. But an amazing game nonetheless. I bought it on steam and wasn't sure what to expect having never played a "souls" game. Gotta say I love almost everything about it the music, atmosphere, gameplay and how the story unfolds via items, landscapes etc. I really wish I could rate it higher but not being able to use my mouse because it was far to jumpy, if you have aWorst port ever made. But an amazing game nonetheless. I bought it on steam and wasn't sure what to expect having never played a "souls" game. Gotta say I love almost everything about it the music, atmosphere, gameplay and how the story unfolds via items, landscapes etc. I really wish I could rate it higher but not being able to use my mouse because it was far to jumpy, if you have a controller buy this fantastic game. Expand
  51. Sep 9, 2012
    The game itself is marvelous, deep background story and some gameplay mechanics based on the player's skills. The only condition to fully enjoy it is to own a controller. I can't really blame the developpers tho since K+M isn't a good setting for that kind of games, and the Dark Souls hasn't initialy been built with the possibilty of a PC port.
    Hopefully we'll see the Armored Core series
    Hopefully we'll see the Armored Core series coming to PC.
  52. Sep 23, 2012
    My personal GOTY. Nice difficulty curve about timing/positioning instead of traditionnal more hp difficulty.
    Multiplayer is really magic with thoses stranges messages everywhere and thoses player's ghosts who plays same game than us.
    PC port is bad but thanks to PC community, Durante made a fix for it. Best 2012 Game
  53. Sep 10, 2012
    Excellent game, highly addictive, favourite game only second to the witcher 2 enhanced edition. A must buy, looks great with the resolution fix. Only issue you must own a controller.
  54. Sep 20, 2012
    I played this game on the PS3 for a year and decided to purchase on the PC. The PC version is much better than XBOX360 and PS3. I ported my PS3 controller over and installed DSFix. The graphics are much better and gameplay is much smoother and faster.
  55. Sep 21, 2012
    First of all, be warned, this Game will rip your Butt inside out... Simply put, you will cry from Rage. Beyond this Fact lays a Diamond, good looking and polished. The Gameplay is unique and it always puts you in new difficult Situations and it forces you to Multitask and keep developing new Strategies for each Boss or Enemy you Face! If you are a delicate Person when it comes to Games andFirst of all, be warned, this Game will rip your Butt inside out... Simply put, you will cry from Rage. Beyond this Fact lays a Diamond, good looking and polished. The Gameplay is unique and it always puts you in new difficult Situations and it forces you to Multitask and keep developing new Strategies for each Boss or Enemy you Face! If you are a delicate Person when it comes to Games and love Action-Adventure RPG´s, this is for you... Expand
  56. Dec 13, 2012
    This is quite possibly the hardest game I have beaten. Not because of any particular area or boss, but because the devs throw every kind of BS imaginable at you throughout a long campaign (~60 hours for my first playthrough). Although it has a fantastic start, things start to peter off about halfway through at the end of Anor Londo. Smough & Ornstein is probably the best boss fight in theThis is quite possibly the hardest game I have beaten. Not because of any particular area or boss, but because the devs throw every kind of BS imaginable at you throughout a long campaign (~60 hours for my first playthrough). Although it has a fantastic start, things start to peter off about halfway through at the end of Anor Londo. Smough & Ornstein is probably the best boss fight in the game and it feels like the devs ran out of ideas afterwards (a boss you have to die to in order to progress, invisible walkways, a boss who smacks you from off-screen into pits, starting a boss fight with half HP with the nearest bonfire 15 minutes away, etc.). If you decide to pick up the PC version, you WILL need a controller, DSfix, and outside help, either from a friend, guides, wikis, youtube videos, etc. If you are able to stop yourself from breaking your controller while playing, this is an excellent Action-RPG that will keep you busy for a long time. Expand
  57. Jan 8, 2013
    6.8 User Score? Wow, guys wow. Even with the horrible port, these guys weren't sure that the PC would make them a profit. Now that we've bought the game, when DS2 comes out it'll be better. Come on. This game is awesome, and it's meta critic user score shouldn't be affected by one stupid port.
  58. Mar 28, 2013
    Dark souls: a game released in 2012 and still going strong with its iron fist

This game will take your dignity and push you down in the dirt much like your ex girlfriend but you’ll always come crawling back to it later to see if she’s getting any nicer...Any way back to the game.... With today’s fast paced gaming experiences with all its insta health regen systems and chest high
    Dark souls: a game released in 2012 and still going strong with its iron fist

With today’s fast paced gaming experiences with all its insta health regen systems and chest high walls, I feel that every self proclaimed gamer should take this game as an initiation to be allowed onto the online world of gaming so we wouldn’t end up with the screaming spoilt youth of today who need a good smack in the face...And so here we have Dark souls- Dark souls is a grand example of how games should be nowadays, this game really isn’t afraid to take out its iron fist and ram you senselessly for being reckless, unprepared or just generally stupid. You’ll always have to adjust your load out to effectively suit your environment and enemies alike, which is what you really want but still you may want to lube up that cavity of yours... Overall the scenery looks pretty; the controls work for the most part although the camera can be finicky at times so you may want to swap out your Texet for an analogue controller; It has plenty of areas to explore and with me being 98 hours in and still needing to kill 2 more bosses it is well worth the £15.00 I paid for it; although you will cuss shout and scream you will not be able to keep your hands off of it for it doesn’t ease up with its tight iron fist... 9/10 would bang Christopher Gillard
    P.s it can only run at a maximum of 30FPS which takes getting use to...
  59. Aug 29, 2012
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is a love-letter written in blood to us sadistic fans of old-school "kick my butt and I'll ask for more" gamers who are getting tired of every game holding our hand, and in some cases, offering to just... you know, beat each level for us (Here's lookin' at you, Super Mario 3D Land!).

If you own this on PS3 or Xbox 360 already, it is still fully worth

If you own this on PS3 or Xbox 360 already, it is still fully worth purchasing for PC.

By default the framerate is locked at 30FPS (which strangely somehow works just fine for the game) and the resolution is locked at *GASP* 720p.

Never fear, my fellow videophiles - an online hero who goes by the alias "Durante" released a fix for the game that unlocks the resolution, removes the low-quality fog, and overall makes the game... just... beautiful!
    (Durante's fix can be found here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix)

Also, for the few out there who care - this game looks AMAZING in 3D.

Well? What are you waiting for?!? Go ahead, get the game, and Prepare to Die!

(NOTE: this game was never meant for mouse + keyboard. The game style just doesn't lend itself to that. Get yourself a wired Xbox 360 controller, or a PS3 controller + Motionjoy to enjoy all this game has to offer!)
  60. Aug 28, 2012
    As long as you have a controller and know the issues with the graphics, this is a very solid game. If you can't bear paying $32 (after 20% off in green man gaming), then wait for a sale!
  61. Aug 31, 2012
    Dark Souls is just amazing. This is the deepest game I've played so far. What it really offers is the incomparable immerse. It's hard, it pushes you to your limits, but importantly it offers incomparable feeling of reality. The price of a mistake is usually so high, that you start to LIVE your character, you start to feel the danger, and you feel the pulse of adrenaline in your veins.Dark Souls is just amazing. This is the deepest game I've played so far. What it really offers is the incomparable immerse. It's hard, it pushes you to your limits, but importantly it offers incomparable feeling of reality. The price of a mistake is usually so high, that you start to LIVE your character, you start to feel the danger, and you feel the pulse of adrenaline in your veins. When you first meet the boss, you have two primary tasks: to survive and to learn his patterns and abilities, and you know there will be no other easy chance to simply try it, save and try several times.
    This game is hard for those who like to play guided games, but it is invaluable for those who dream to LIVE the game fully, experience it like a real-life adventure, where nobody will give you maps, pointers and directions - there is only you, your armor, your weapon, your bravery, your attention, your memory and... your legacy.
    Hearing a lot on technical issues I would like to say, that this all comes out from people who doesn't value the most that this games is here to offer: it's remarkable gameplay. Game port is not playable for me using keyboard and mouse, but is that really an issue? You can (and SHOULD) use your Xbox 360 Controller or PS3 Dualshock Controller with MotionJoy, that will make the gaming experience just the same as on console. I played Dark Souls on PS3 before the PC release and should say that with gamad the game experience on PC is just the same.
    And to address the resolution wailing: most of you guys should know, that a majority of games on consoles, especially on PS3, run in 720p with upscale, and it doesn't make them look much worse then originally 1080p-designed games.

This game is awesome. If you ever played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls on console, you get the exact experience on PC. And that's just great!

And for those of you who never played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, I would like to advice you to read more about the game. If you like the gameplay ideas which it offers, you'll definitely will enjoy the PC port, because it just brings this amazing experience to PC. And for those who doesn't like difficult games which require a lot of thinking and investigation before actually "go and kill them all" - better miss Dark Souls, you'll be disappointed.

Dark souls is hard, but though rewarding. It brings the deepest feeling of accomplishment, it fills your body with happiness of worthy achievement, it blows your mind with detailed battle mechanics, it pushes you to learn, to die and reborn stronger, wiser and better player.

Death is only the beginning. So Prepare to Die!
  62. Sep 1, 2012
    I have played Dark Souls and Demon Souls since the day of release... I pre-ordered Dark Souls the second I heard it was coming to PC and boy I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. The new DLC is perfect and adds a new challenge with perfect armour/content. The game is a direct port and sometimes it shows in areas (30fps cap, resolution) but all of that can be fixed with mods readily available.
  63. Sep 13, 2012
    Dark Souls is an amazing experience no true gamer should deny themselves. The game needs to be played with a controller. Period. End. The graphics are outstanding EVEN at the default resolution, but fixes are in place to bump it up even more. Now, the actual game itself. It is one of the most deeply challenging and rewarding game you will ever play. The enemies and environment are deviousDark Souls is an amazing experience no true gamer should deny themselves. The game needs to be played with a controller. Period. End. The graphics are outstanding EVEN at the default resolution, but fixes are in place to bump it up even more. Now, the actual game itself. It is one of the most deeply challenging and rewarding game you will ever play. The enemies and environment are devious and deadly at every turn. But, as you progress, you will notice that your skills are increasing because the game demands your attention and demands you master a certain level of skill with the game. You can not hack and slash your way through this game. You will die. You will die even when you are playing the game the way it was meant to be played - with care and attention. Dying is part of the experience and not a failure. It is part of your learning process. The art design is simply outstanding. And the story/lore is also fantastic, but it not spoon fed to you. It requires a certain investment from the player in paying attention to dialogue, the environment, and item descriptions. I could go on for days about how amazing this game is. Better to tell you I have played through the game twice on the PS3, gotten all the trophies, and still I have bought the PC version and am playing through it all again. This is one of those games you can play for years and years. There are so many different ways to play it and the controls are so tight and rewarding, it is just hard to stay away too long. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. It is the best $40 you will ever spend. I hope to see you all in the game for some Jolly Co-operation! Expand
  64. Sep 3, 2012
    Let me just say this, this is the best version of Dark Souls out right now, if you get a gamepad and get the fix someone made. This is Fromsoft's first PC game, Of course they were going to mess up. But the new content was more than enough to make up for it. the only reason I didn't give it 10/10 is because of some of the glitches. And Sen's fortress. That place is difficult.
  65. Sep 18, 2012
    This is perhaps the best videogame of its generation, now available on the PC. The port is very bare-bones, but it is not "sloppy" or "horribly executed." It is exactly what you see on the Xbox 360. Fortunately, for those who want a little more from their games on PC, there has been a fan-made fix improving resolution and other graphics settings since day one. The strangely entitled,This is perhaps the best videogame of its generation, now available on the PC. The port is very bare-bones, but it is not "sloppy" or "horribly executed." It is exactly what you see on the Xbox 360. Fortunately, for those who want a little more from their games on PC, there has been a fan-made fix improving resolution and other graphics settings since day one. The strangely entitled, whiny, obsessive, and just plain ignorant will continue to slag this port, but the reality is that it's perfectly fine. Beautiful, even. Now, said obsessive PC gamer weirdos will still complain about having to use a controller (which is optional, though it may as well be a requirement). That's on them. This is Dark Souls, not your average PC gamer's game. Expand
  66. Aug 31, 2012
    Dark Souls is a shining example of a game that was never intended to be ported to the PC, but due to overwhelming demand got the developers attention and was made so. Despite problems with the port (and their solutions) that I will be covering near the end of this review, the core game is absolutely fantastic and without a doubt one of my personal favorite games of this entire gen. FromDark Souls is a shining example of a game that was never intended to be ported to the PC, but due to overwhelming demand got the developers attention and was made so. Despite problems with the port (and their solutions) that I will be covering near the end of this review, the core game is absolutely fantastic and without a doubt one of my personal favorite games of this entire gen. From its inspired and gritty fantasy setting to its incredibly complex combat and RPG mechanics, Dark Souls has the tools to keep you absolutely immersed - but only if you're willing to submit to its ever present difficulty with patience and the motivation to learn and adapt. It's no surprise to anybody that Dark Souls is known for its punishing difficulty, and some players will tell you that these games are simply cruel, executing you at every turn. From the moment control is given to you, you're thrust into a boss battle, and after that, you're navigating a world with constant dangers outside of the central hub of firelink shrine. Though there is an intended line of progression through the various interconnected environments, especially in the early parts of the game, the game gives you the freedom to go almost anywhere within it - it can be daunting at first, but you will soon figure out which areas you should and should not be progressing to. A very important factor in this game is exploration. You should talk to every NPC and listen closely to what they have to say. If you can purchase items from them using souls, the universal currency, which is also used to level up your character, you should see what they have in stock. Not only are there powerful items, upgrades, and magical abilities to be found, there are also achievements tied to discovering them. Important items are littered throughout the environment in chests and on corpses, on ledges near and far, and you should keep an eye on every single one of them. In fact, you should keep a keen eye to all events in this world. Every enemy poses a challenge to you, and unlike in other RPGs where enemies scale to your level, or you gear yourself to a godlike, almost immortal status, each and every single enemy in this game carries a significant hazard or status ailment that if not evaded will hurt, and hurt a lot. You will die a lot in Dark Souls, and to be fair, some areas can seem unfair, but the truth is that there is always a solution, and if you're good, one that involves taking not a single point of damage. Being in Human form as opposed to soul form, especially in online mode, is the more risky way to play, as you have the chance to be invaded by other human players who are looking to kill you and steal your humanities. Invading and co-operative play are a big part of this game and a strong deterrent to piracy, as other players are more than willing to help you by leaving helpful messages inscribed on the ground that can tip you off to enemies, hidden loot, and sometimes asking for help to defeat a boss, which is made easier in co-op. Another helpful ability you gain in human form is the ability to summon certain NPCs you've met to help you during boss fights, the latter of which are another point of complaint. Marked by a very large health bar and the boss' name above it, these enemies are very intimidating but each have their own strengths and weaknesses. There is a significant learning curve to each one, and you should make it a priority to learn their move sets before you tackle them in head on combat - each of them is possible to beat without taking a single point of damage. There is so much more I would like to say about progression in this game, how you level up your character and their weapons and abilities, how attributes synergize and stack with weapons and items, and so much more. The truth is that there is simply too much information to take in at once, and that's all part of the steep learning curve. Though it doesn't take a korean supergamer to master this game, just remember that if you do, you'll be one of the few who can actually say that they got through Dark Souls without a hitch.
    Now, as for the PC version, I would highly recommend installing a very tiny mod that unlocks the internal rendering resolution of the game by means of placing a d3d9 file and its configuration settings file within the DATA folder of the games' installation directory. It is also highly recommended that you play this game with a wired Xbox 360 controller or a wired controller of some kind, because there are simply too many functions and commands for a keyboard control scheme to be viable. This game does not require a very powerful system to run well, but even given my powerful PC with the internal resolution set to 2560x1440 and running at 1920x1080 (I did this to supersample), there was one specific area which caused pockets of noticeable framerate drops from the locked 30Hz cap. 9/10
  67. Aug 31, 2012
  68. Aug 31, 2012
    Bad Pc port and hard controls but still i really enjoy of this game, he game is amazing. amazing enough to get a 9 or 10. the port is crap, but the resolution fix from durante has saved form software from a catastrophe and it may as well make them some money. i have seen plenty of people double dipping just because of this resolution fix.
  69. Aug 31, 2012
    THIS IS THE BEST PORT AS IT IS THE MOST STABLE PORT I'VE EVER SEEN. Other games ported to the PC either crashes alot or are very unoptimized.

This is a really great game to come out for the PC and I am very grateful for it! This is also the VERY definition of a direct port, and let me repeat again how stable it is. The only fault I see for the game is the locking system, which, with

The only fault I see for the game is the locking system, which, with a little movement changes your lock on an enemy to another.
  70. Aug 30, 2012
    I for once do not own a console. And I am so grateful to Form Software and for those people who signed the petition along with me - now I can finally enjoy this masterpiece of a game. I waited for this since Demon's souls first came out on consoles - I wanted to play it so bad, I almost bought a console for a single game! If you're a kid complaining about graphics and bad controls - thisI for once do not own a console. And I am so grateful to Form Software and for those people who signed the petition along with me - now I can finally enjoy this masterpiece of a game. I waited for this since Demon's souls first came out on consoles - I wanted to play it so bad, I almost bought a console for a single game! If you're a kid complaining about graphics and bad controls - this game isn't for you, just play some FPS and leave Dark Souls for the people it was intended to. This is not the best PC port for sure, but a cheap $10 gamepad and a resolution patch fix this little issue. The devs themselves recommended that you play on a gamepad - that's fair, I wouldn't want to re-do perfectly working gamepad controls. Just plug in a controller and stop complaining. This game isn't about graphics or keyboard controls - this game will be remembered alongside with diablo 2 as one of the best RPG's of the 21st century. If you're unsure whether or not to buy it - I'd say - If you consider yourself a true RPG fan - that's a must buy. Trust me, I've been playing RPG's since Diablo and Baldur's Gate and Fallout - I know. Expand
  71. Aug 30, 2012
    On the surface just a disappoint console port of a great game, but try DSFix from blog.metaclassofnil.com and enjoy the game as it was meant to be played!
  72. Aug 31, 2012
    A lot of people have been giving this game grief, which is a sad thing. Yes, the frame rate is locked. Yes, the resolution is locked. Yes, the controls arent as good as they could be, nor are the pop ups changed for computer controls. While I do agree that the last issue is a valid one, the rest are superficial, and rating a game down for them is just insane. Dark Souls is a game made toA lot of people have been giving this game grief, which is a sad thing. Yes, the frame rate is locked. Yes, the resolution is locked. Yes, the controls arent as good as they could be, nor are the pop ups changed for computer controls. While I do agree that the last issue is a valid one, the rest are superficial, and rating a game down for them is just insane. Dark Souls is a game made to slaughter you, not hold your hand through beautiful scenery.

I have progressed a large distance through the game (roughly 50%) using the keyboard and mouse, and even though it isnt the easiest way to play it, it is very playable, without any real issues. Instead of relying on the popups to tell you what to do every single time, memorize the controls, like you would with any other game (this is directed to people who say you have to button mash to get the right button).

Recently I bought an xbox controller to use, and I found that difficulty of the game practically halved, and I was no longer experiencing the difficulty that the game had promised. So if you want my honest opinion: Controller if you are a kid who needs their hand held, Mouse+Keyboard if you want the brutal challenge that was promised.

Furthermore, the game is MEANT to be difficult. I have seen people complaining that the game is too hard. What a joke. The game is not labled -Prepare to Die Edition- for no reason.

Graphics-wise, the game is beautiful in its own twisted way, despite the lower resolution of the game. It gets the job done, and looks nice while doing so. Gaming isnt exclusively about graphics, as some people are so blatantly unable to realize. The graphics are good enough to make the game enjoyable for the eyes, and thats what matters. Many people have complained about the locked resolution, which does not bother me personally. If it bothers you too much, there is a mod made that allows you to toggle the resolution and disable the mouse cursor.

Anyone who knows about this game would know that the story is not shoved in your face as it is with most other RPG games, which can be considered a good thing by some, and bad by others. I personally dont mind the lack of apparent story, as I generally pay a lot of attention to dialog and other sources of story, and the lore for Dark Souls is actually quite interesting for those willing to dig it out. So, with this game, dont expect a highly story driven game with cutscenes every mission.

The RPG elements in this game (Leveling, stats, equipment and so on) are relatively well balanced. There are no truly game breaking stats or items, minus a certain sword that you can get that makes the early portion of the game far easier. Leveling is fast in the early levels, but can take hours of work after level 50, and the growth of required XP is nice and at a managable rate. Stats all effect something practical, as well, so there are no wrong stats you can level in the long run. Overall, the system has a nice balance: The player is not too powerful, nor are they too weak (assuming the player is of sufficient skill)

The sounds of the game are nothing too special, as with all games. They do the job right, sound in place, and are generally unremarkable. The music however, is nicely written and suits the game very much. There are many areas where there is no music at all, as well, which can add a nice contrast to many RPG games where the music is constantly going. With other RPGs the music can very easily mix together and becoming an unremarkable string of sound, with no clear definition between songs. That is not the case here. The lack of music in areas adds large contrast to when the music starts, and each song on the soundtrack has a nice unique sound to it, further adding to the contrast and uniqueness.

Overall, I think the game is very good, considering. We knew for over a month that this wouldnt be a perfect, flawless port. And even though it ISNT a flawless gem of a game like the console version, it is definitely better than many people give it credit for.

* Gameplay: 10/10 - The gameplay is brutal and unforgiving for those who make mistakes or who plan ahead poorly.
    * Controls: 6/10 - The controls are clunky but playable with a keyboard and mouse, and it adds a nice brutal bonus to the difficulty for those seeking it. The main reasons I have rated this lower than normal is due to the fact that the mouse is insanely sensitive, which makes locking on an issue in fights with groups, and for people who wish to skip the PC controls, they must pay extra.
    * Story: --/10 - it is an arguable point. I would give it high marks for having good lore that is not forced on the player, but others would likely rate it low for not having enough obvious story driving it.
    * RPG elements: 10/10 - well balanced, not too complex, not too watered down.
    * Sounds: 10/10 - The sounds in the game are what is expected, and the soundtrack is great.

OVERALL: 9/10 - Great
  73. Sep 10, 2012
    Apply the resolution fix, buy a controller if you don't have one, and immerse yourself in this terrifying and deeply challenging action RPG. Forget twitch reflexes and crazy weapon combos, you'll need to learn to be strategic against every monster and encounter in this realistically brutal game if you wish to ultimately succeed. It's all about knowing the strengths and weaknesses ofApply the resolution fix, buy a controller if you don't have one, and immerse yourself in this terrifying and deeply challenging action RPG. Forget twitch reflexes and crazy weapon combos, you'll need to learn to be strategic against every monster and encounter in this realistically brutal game if you wish to ultimately succeed. It's all about knowing the strengths and weaknesses of yourself and your enemy; knowing which attacks to dodge, which to block, and which to be completely out of range of. Can you use the environment to your advantage? What weapons are most effective against your foe? Armed with this knowledge you can easily conquer any seemingly impossible challenge. It is important to note that while the game is hard, it is never unfair. Patience will reward you. Every death is a learning experience. I find it difficult to flaw such a brilliantly crafted game. There's little I can think of to actually improve it. It lacks a deep story, but that could be something that also works in its favour. The fact that you're exploring this haunting world without any sense of direction really adds to the atmosphere. Expect 70-100 hours to complete your first play-through. One of the best games of all time. Expand
  74. Sep 7, 2012
    I had been wanting to get this game for a long while, and right when I got it for 360, mine broke. I decided to play it using my 360usb controller and the game was pretty nice. definitely an option for those not willing to toss down a lot of cash for a console
  75. Aug 29, 2012
    Excellent game, but it is impossible to play this game with keyboard and mouse and the graphics looks really outdated. But awesome gameplay and story makes this game a must-buy
  76. Sep 5, 2012
    The port may not be perfect, but it is the best way to play dark souls. Even without 3rd party mods, the base game has extra content, AA and a more consistent frame rate. In addition it also has a number of bug fixes and some re-balancing. There are no more input lag issues and items like the dark wood grain ring and hornets ring have been toned down. The new content is masterfully putThe port may not be perfect, but it is the best way to play dark souls. Even without 3rd party mods, the base game has extra content, AA and a more consistent frame rate. In addition it also has a number of bug fixes and some re-balancing. There are no more input lag issues and items like the dark wood grain ring and hornets ring have been toned down. The new content is masterfully put together, integrates with the game nicely and doesnt feel bolted on.

It is a requirement to play this game with a gamepad as without mods the keyboard and mouse controls are broken and unusable, the game also requires games for windows live, which will put some people off. There are a number of oversights like a locked sub 720p frame buffer, 30 fps frame rate and no in game substitutes for prompts when playing wih a keyboard and mouse...no xbox 360 buttons on a keyboard sorry FROM. How important the above is to you and whether youre prepared to investgate 3rd party mods will dtermine whether this game is for you.

Dont listen to all he overreacting negative reviewers, its this attitude that will prevent further such ventures in the future and im just appreciative that such a brilliant game can be enjoyed by more people. It may not be the best port in unmodded form, but its supporting for the long time viability of such games reaching pc in the future in more polished form. 9/10 from me, 10 on metacritic to balance all the low scoring troll reviews.
  77. Sep 4, 2012
    I laugh at all these people complaining about bad textures and poor controls... USE A GAMEPAD! GET THE RESOLUTION MOD! Easy fixes people! Ask yourself a question: If you get to a huge boss that could turn you into hamburger in 1 hit, do you say to yourself "Wow those textures are bad!" or "Ermagerd how do I beat this monstrosity!?". I'm pretty sure you know what the right answer is.
  78. Aug 27, 2012
    Needs to be played with a game pad and requires a mod to fix the resolution the game is rendered at, but once you are past this and start in on the game you will be treating yourself to one of the best games of this age. Easily one of the strongest games ever in gameplay mechanics and the level of difficulty is just spot on, even without a difficulty option offered. This is a must buyNeeds to be played with a game pad and requires a mod to fix the resolution the game is rendered at, but once you are past this and start in on the game you will be treating yourself to one of the best games of this age. Easily one of the strongest games ever in gameplay mechanics and the level of difficulty is just spot on, even without a difficulty option offered. This is a must buy for anyone who loves adventure dungeon crawlers. Expand
  79. Sep 20, 2012
    While maybe it could have been more pretty or polished, the minor issues with this PC port do not detract in any way from the enjoyment of it's gameplay.
  80. Aug 29, 2012
    One of the most rewarding Action RPGs you can get. If you're tired of handholding, quest markers, combat where you can't really lose a fight unless you tie your hands behind your back, and generic Tolkien-esque fantasy, then Dark Souls is your game. Many different weapons with different move sets and combos allow you to tailor your combat experience to your style of playing. Stab enemiesOne of the most rewarding Action RPGs you can get. If you're tired of handholding, quest markers, combat where you can't really lose a fight unless you tie your hands behind your back, and generic Tolkien-esque fantasy, then Dark Souls is your game. Many different weapons with different move sets and combos allow you to tailor your combat experience to your style of playing. Stab enemies with a spear while blocking with a shield, or learn how to parry. Dual wield pretty much anything, dual wield shields and bash your enemy's head in. Decide to wield your main weapon with both hands at any time for extra damage (yes, this also works with a shield). Choose from three different types of magic, each with its own mechanics. Explore every nook and cranny and find anything from additional mini-bosses to specific weapons, armor sets, rings, NPCs, short cuts, and so on. All this in a beautifully crafted, very vertical, open but tightly packed world backed by amazing original lore. On top of that, you get a very unique interpretation of multiplayer with many different modes of online play with varying degrees of interaction, from simply seeing the ghosts of other players and blood stains where they die to leaving messages for others, helping them out with hard fights as a phantom, or even invading their games and hunting them down in a number of different ways. The PC adds arena based PVP to all that, and also comes with a load of new content with its own unique style but yet fitting in perfectly with the rest of Dark Souls. This is one of the best Action RPGs of this generation and if you can stand the challenge and can live with eventually meeting a boss you can't beat on the first try, or second try, or twentieth try, this is your game. Expand
  81. Aug 27, 2012
    Don't let the PC Elitist's complaints keep you from giving Dark Souls a try. I've reviewed it before, and my opinion remains the same; It's one of the best games that have come out in the past few years and console-level graphics and low resolution textures can't take that from it. The PC gamers aren't being treated any worse than the console users, and they shouldn't be giving this gameDon't let the PC Elitist's complaints keep you from giving Dark Souls a try. I've reviewed it before, and my opinion remains the same; It's one of the best games that have come out in the past few years and console-level graphics and low resolution textures can't take that from it. The PC gamers aren't being treated any worse than the console users, and they shouldn't be giving this game negative reviews because they expected their high performance computers to be forced to work at their full potentials. It's been called a lazy port, and that's understandable, but it wasn't just a port; it came with new content that the rest of us won't see for two months. From Software is not a PC developer, and they did what they could to appease the masses. Does no one realize that they would have had to recreate all the animations in the game from the ground up to run at 60 fps? Dark Souls wasn't designed for PC and it's optimized for running at 30 fps. If From Software had rebuilt the game for PC optimization, it would have taken months or years to be released. I guarantee that all of the negative reviews are due to complaints about the keyboard and mouse controls and the "bad port." Both are irrelevant to the quality of Dark Souls. Give it a shot or wait until it's released on October 26 on Xbox 360 and PS3, but don't give it a negative review without putting more thought into what went into making the game. Expand
  82. Aug 27, 2012
    Terrible port, but an otherwise amazing game. The user-created graphical mod that's been going around is a big help in making the game more enjoyable on PC, but it's a shame FromSoft/Bamco could not provide this feature on launch. Keyboard/mouse support is a bit iffy, but if you use a controller everything plays great.

The game itself is just incredible, reminiscent of the punishing

The game itself is just incredible, reminiscent of the punishing difficulty and open exploration of classic metroidvania-style games. The story is deep and intriguing, but not handed to you on a silver platter; it must be discovered and pieced together by the player.
  83. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is the best I've ever played, period. I'm pretty patient when it comes to graphics, so I don't mind it looking like an obvious console port. Personally I think people are being a little too harsh in that regard. As for the controls, just get an xbox controller. For a game like this it's really worth having full and easy control of the mechanics, and you'll get your time's worthThis game is the best I've ever played, period. I'm pretty patient when it comes to graphics, so I don't mind it looking like an obvious console port. Personally I think people are being a little too harsh in that regard. As for the controls, just get an xbox controller. For a game like this it's really worth having full and easy control of the mechanics, and you'll get your time's worth out of it, creating multiple characters and what not. This game is definetely not meant to be played on a keyboard, but you can't blame From Soft. I can't imagine how they would make fluent keyboard controls for this game. Expand
  84. Aug 30, 2012
    Waaaaaah, it only renders at 720p! Waaaaaah, the frame rate is locked at 30fps. That's all I see in the negative reviews, both from users and critics. This is one of the great games of the last few years, maybe all time. And, content-wise, this is an AMAZING edition; I've played all the way through the new content, and it is every bit as good as the original content. AND the frameWaaaaaah, it only renders at 720p! Waaaaaah, the frame rate is locked at 30fps. That's all I see in the negative reviews, both from users and critics. This is one of the great games of the last few years, maybe all time. And, content-wise, this is an AMAZING edition; I've played all the way through the new content, and it is every bit as good as the original content. AND the frame rate is more stable and consistent than it was on the 360/PS3. AND, if you really care about the internal framebuffer resolution, there's already a mod out there that fixes it for you. So maybe you ought to actually play this one before you **** about it, Internet. Expand
  85. Aug 27, 2012
    Great game, I knew it had potential from articles, but once i sat down and actually played it, it blew me away.
    The graphics is awesome, these guys really understand what immersion is. Its not about high res textures (which they have), but how well you hide them to look deep and gloomy.

The gameplay hats off, even not as user friendly as Darksiders it has depth and allows more room for user skill. So many good ideas in one basket. This is a masterpiece. It deserves a shrine
  86. Aug 27, 2012
    Read the PC Gamer review - it says it all: yes it´s a bad port, yes it´s cumbersome to control - and yes it´s impossibly rewarding. More so than anything before it, and probably will be unmatched for quite some time in the foreseeable future. What other game throws you between true dispair, dread, fury and in the end, utter satisfaction? Disregard all gripes aboutRead the PC Gamer review - it says it all: yes it´s a bad port, yes it´s cumbersome to control - and yes it´s impossibly rewarding. More so than anything before it, and probably will be unmatched for quite some time in the foreseeable future. What other game throws you between true dispair, dread, fury and in the end, utter satisfaction? Disregard all gripes about technical shortcomings, jump into the rabbit hole and be amazed. Expand
  87. Sep 4, 2012
    I'd give this a 9 but just gonna go ahead and slap a 10 only to balance the user score somewhat. Game is awesome. I know, I know, quite a lot of you think this game sucks because it has the 30 FPS lock and the developers couldn't even bother to fix a silly problem like resolution cap. But after the application of the resolution fix by Durante, this game looks really good. And even at 30I'd give this a 9 but just gonna go ahead and slap a 10 only to balance the user score somewhat. Game is awesome. I know, I know, quite a lot of you think this game sucks because it has the 30 FPS lock and the developers couldn't even bother to fix a silly problem like resolution cap. But after the application of the resolution fix by Durante, this game looks really good. And even at 30 FPS, the gameplay is smooth as it can be. I mean, it was DESIGNED around the 30 FPS mark. If it was messed around with, the gameplay would probably get messed up as well. So yeah, no worries there. The gameplay is all good. As for controls, I don't really play any game with controller so I used a keyboard and mouse here. Surprisingly, this controlled much better than SO many people said it would. I don't have any problems with the controls as they're decent enough. I've just entered Blighttown and haven't had problems with the controls, besides a few odd deaths due to the finicky lock-on mechanic (yeah, this could've been better!). ANYWAY, overall, I think this deserves high scores. Because it IS a good game and an okay port. Expand
  88. Sep 3, 2012
    A hardcore game for hardcore gamers, Dark Souls is a true masterpiece that PC gamers deserve to play. The port may be perfunctory but it's stable and the performance is much improved over the console versions, provided you have a decent system. Ignore the idiots giving the game a low score just because From Software didn't make any specific improvements to the PC version.
  89. Sep 3, 2012
    I won't get in-depth with my review as I already have one for the PS3 version of the game, but I will say that Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is the definitive Dark Souls experience assuming you play with a controller. I'm not sure why you wouldn't play with a controller to be honest. I'm first and foremost a PC gamer, and I'm a huge advocate of mouse and keyboard being the superiorI won't get in-depth with my review as I already have one for the PS3 version of the game, but I will say that Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is the definitive Dark Souls experience assuming you play with a controller. I'm not sure why you wouldn't play with a controller to be honest. I'm first and foremost a PC gamer, and I'm a huge advocate of mouse and keyboard being the superior input method, but this game and even this genre is meant for a controller. Swallow your pride, fellow PC gamers. Yes, certain aspects of the port are of poor quality, but the hacks provided by Durante solves most if not all of the gripes I had personally. The game looks amazing with the resolution hack, there is no FPS slowdown assuming your PC isn't from the stone age, and the new content is great. What more could you ask for? Expand
  90. Aug 29, 2012
    Love this game to death! Yes you do need a game pad or xbox360 controller for smooth game play but it's worth it(the pc version has more than xbox360 and ps3 version for now). I have never enjoyed getting battered so much in my life. Really not arsed about graphics.. there's a mod to fix that, game play is so hard it's awesomeXD
  91. Aug 31, 2012
    In general, it's a very lazy port never meant for PC. The game was programmed in such a way that changing the FPS from 30 to anything else is impossible, and changing the native resolution of the game is impossible as well without a mod. The controls for keyboard and mouse are terrible, and you'll need to use a gamepad (I'm not sure if anything aside from the Xbox 360 wired gamepad willIn general, it's a very lazy port never meant for PC. The game was programmed in such a way that changing the FPS from 30 to anything else is impossible, and changing the native resolution of the game is impossible as well without a mod. The controls for keyboard and mouse are terrible, and you'll need to use a gamepad (I'm not sure if anything aside from the Xbox 360 wired gamepad will work, but I'd assume that's the case). This uses two layers of DRM if you bought it from Steam. Games for Windows Live (GFWL) and Steam's built-in DRM both are potential hindrances to playing, but so far have not been too much of a problem. The game retails for $40, which is on par, if not somewhat slightly above the average price of a PC game.

The in-game graphics range from pathetic to tolerable, depending on whether or not you have the hi-resolution mod installed. The mod that changes the resolution doesn't also increase the size or clarity of textures, doesn't increase the fidelity of models, and doesn't add better AA. Hell, if it did that, the game might have an even lower FPS.

The game this is a port of is fantastic for it's medium, which is a console six or seven years behind the curve. The development process for this game is laughable at best, as some of the problems that prevented the port from being amazing stemmed from incredibly lazy design choices. For instance, frame-based movement (ex: having a character move a fixed amount per frame, regardless of speed) prevented the game from running higher than 30 FPS. Designing the game's art assets at a low resolution instead of designing high-quality assets and then scaling them down is to blame for the horrid texture quality.

Dark Souls for the Xbox 360 and PS3 are both fantastic games, and this is as well, even if it is plagued by a coupled of PC port-related issues.
  92. Aug 30, 2012
    One of my recent favourites. I bought this when it came out on the PS3 and I could not wait to get this edition.
    A lot of the frame rate issues were fixed, content was added, PvP was improved-- overall, for 40$ this is a steal.
  93. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is one awesome RPG experience. Unfortunately this game has been receiving review scores much lower than deserved. This is because the PC gaming community has become spoiled over the years. If you look at the average meta-critic scores for it's Xbox360 and PS3 counterparts it got much higher ratings. This port is almost exactly like the Xbox360 version and should receive no lowerThis game is one awesome RPG experience. Unfortunately this game has been receiving review scores much lower than deserved. This is because the PC gaming community has become spoiled over the years. If you look at the average meta-critic scores for it's Xbox360 and PS3 counterparts it got much higher ratings. This port is almost exactly like the Xbox360 version and should receive no lower than what the 360 rating was. In fact. With the help of the PC community there have already been resolution fixes which makes this port to the PC much better looking. It's the same game and i'm not speaking on the entire behalf of the PC gaming community, but unfortunately too many of us have gotten used to being treated "special". Game sales are always cheaper on the PC compared to consoles, We have a community of modders that provide content and bug fixes for many games, and we expect top of the line graphics. That's okay and all, but From Software had no original intentions of porting this to the PC. They Have little to no PC experience and they simply ported to PC because the community asked them too. That's awesome. The outcome of how this game does on PC ground is important and may decide if the company decides to port any future titles. It makes me sad to see so many negative reviews because of the fact that it's a bare bones port. Get over it. It's still a great game and deserves an honest review. I hope that anyone who calls themselves an RPG gamer gives this one an honest try. Expand
  94. Sep 1, 2012
    I hate this game so much, why can't I stop playing you!! I die over and over again!! I haven't experienced such a challenging single player game in so long, it truly is awesome! A poor console port is the only downfall but using the resolution fix and getting my xbox 360 controller out of storage made it just fine... but I cry that I can't make use of my incredible PC hardware, it feelsI hate this game so much, why can't I stop playing you!! I die over and over again!! I haven't experienced such a challenging single player game in so long, it truly is awesome! A poor console port is the only downfall but using the resolution fix and getting my xbox 360 controller out of storage made it just fine... but I cry that I can't make use of my incredible PC hardware, it feels like this game would run well on a phone lol.. Expand
  95. Aug 30, 2012
    Criticising this game because it's a bare-bones port is absurd. The game is incredible on every level, and a lack of graphics options doesn't change that. And- this being the PC we're talking about- there's already a mod available to fix that.

You will fall in love with this game.
  96. Aug 31, 2012
    This is a bad port but the game is amazing, immersive and challenger, a great experience that must be prove, plug you xbox 360 controller and play this game.
  97. Sep 11, 2012
    The game itself is worthy of a 9 or 10 score, but the port is one of the worst I've seen.
    I personally consider this game to be unplayable without a controller.
    I tried the keyboard + mouse controls for a minute or two, until I started puking uncontrollably and passed out. When I regained consciousness, I plugged in a wired xbox 360 controller and all was good. The graphics options
    I personally consider this game to be unplayable without a controller.
    The graphics options were a disappointment to say the least, but I wasn't going to let that bother me too much.
    When I jumped into the game, it felt exactly like the console version, which I consider to be mostly a good thing.
    The resolution was the same as on consoles, and I was hoping that something could be done to improve that.
    I was relieved to find out that a fanmade fix was available on day one, and the fix was updated and mastered in a week or so.
    The FPS is capped at 30, which is a disappointment for PC players who are used to having no cap at all.
    Apparently they had a good reason for capping it at 30, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

Now onto the game itself.
    It's unforgiving, it's ruthless, it's brutal, it's the opposite of every other AAA title that is being released these days (in the difficulty aspect), and that is what makes it stand out.
    Dark Souls is not going to hold your hand, nor is it going to pat you on your head.
    Once you're out of the Undead Asylum that works as an introduction to the game, you're on your own.
    The world is pretty much seamless, with no loading screens in between areas, which makes it easier to get immersed in it.
    The seamless nature of the world makes it feel like you're visiting a living and breathing universe.
    The enemies are tough and the bosses are tougher.
    It's the difficulty of these encounters that makes the game so satisfying.
    When you eventually best a boss, it just feels great.
    There's nothing artificial about difficulty. Difficulty is difficulty, no matter how badly you would like to justify your lack of skills, you filthy plebeian.

If you enjoy a challenge, fun online features AND you have a PC compatible controller, or are willing to invest in one; it's well worth buying.

TL;DR

-With mouse & keyboard = 4/10

-With a controller = 9/10
  98. Sep 12, 2012
    AMAZING game with a port that is amazingly bad but it is easily fixed. Use the dsfix mod (google it) which fixes most of the graphical issues. Yes you need a joystick.

Yes the game is hard. I'm a little sick of games that hold your hand though. I want a challenge for a change. Best game I've played in a long time.
  99. Sep 18, 2012
    okay, so I played this game every day for almost a year on PS3, now it's on PC, and the straight port is the same amazing game, only now with more content. How can anyone complain about this? My only minor gripe is that there are a lot fewer players on PC to co-op and PvP with.... and this game was designed to be played with a controller. So play it with a controller. You don't play carokay, so I played this game every day for almost a year on PS3, now it's on PC, and the straight port is the same amazing game, only now with more content. How can anyone complain about this? My only minor gripe is that there are a lot fewer players on PC to co-op and PvP with.... and this game was designed to be played with a controller. So play it with a controller. You don't play car racing games with m+k, and neither should you play this game with m+k. Expand
  100. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't believe the low scores for this game, it may have been a bad port but an amazing gem lies beneath. Play with DSFIX MOD to see this games true potential, and it works great with multiplayer so don't worry about that.

PLAY THIS GAME WITH DSFIX MOD, you wont regret it.
  101. Aug 25, 2012

The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]