4.3

1. May 15, 2014
    The game although good with story lacked a true realness with its combat mechanics.
    Mainly the fact that you can kill any enemy with one hit and maximize your health at the start.
    So you can simply just tank them all to continue with the story. All in all I give it a 7/10 because the story is good, character development is good, combat system needs work. If you want a video review
    So you can simply just tank them all to continue with the story.

If you want a video review to my thoughts on this game.
  2. Dec 11, 2013
    maybe a little like Hitman blood money and Dues Ex: Human Revolution. Graphics like Borderlands or Darkness 2. decent enough if you want a different game to play.
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    I think this game is worthy of an "8" because while it is not a AAA game and has the LEGENDARY
    Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines game to compete with, it is overall a good game. Not perfect but worth the price.
  4. Oct 30, 2013
    This is based on a great idea, in a great world and background but... Oh boy, poor execution.
    The game is a mess and bugged and dirty. The story is.... Pffff... Clumsy and a bit "stupid" but the world and the background of this world is neat. Matter of fact, this game could have been so nice... It's a shame.

Good ideas, good background, bad realisation, bad story...
  5. Sep 10, 2013
    Its a good stealth game, It lacks in many aspects (graphics, writing, the final boss battle but I enjoyed It overall, I would totally look after a sequel.
  6. Aug 31, 2013
    The premise sounded very interesting. But an abortion is still an abortion. However, at least this vampire doesn't sparkle. That's the only upside. Period.
  7. Aug 31, 2013
    This game tries extraordinarily hard to be vampire: the masquerade. Don't get me wrong VTM had its own flaws and bugs but Dark was no where in the ballpark. The number one concern in my opinion that should have been an easy fix is the dialog acting like its being skipped, this gets very agitating at times. The gameplay is also a bit shoddy. Honestly this is a game no one will even rememberThis game tries extraordinarily hard to be vampire: the masquerade. Don't get me wrong VTM had its own flaws and bugs but Dark was no where in the ballpark. The number one concern in my opinion that should have been an easy fix is the dialog acting like its being skipped, this gets very agitating at times. The gameplay is also a bit shoddy. Honestly this is a game no one will even remember a year from now. It will not go down in the books. Avoid paying for this game and skip onto the next, If you want an immersive and fun RPG/FPS vampire game than play bloodlines. Its almost 10 years old and can whoop dark's arse. Expand
  8. Aug 18, 2013
    Dark is not that bad as people are reviewing it. It's very entertaining and definitely for you if you liked Vampire the Masquerade Redemption. In the very beginning you'll be told that Eric needs to drink proper elder blood in order to transform to a fully vampire and if not he'll change to a ghoul. That's a motivator to start hunting stonger and stronger vampires. The good thing is youDark is not that bad as people are reviewing it. It's very entertaining and definitely for you if you liked Vampire the Masquerade Redemption. In the very beginning you'll be told that Eric needs to drink proper elder blood in order to transform to a fully vampire and if not he'll change to a ghoul. That's a motivator to start hunting stonger and stronger vampires. The good thing is you can advance your skills at anytime if you've got enough xp. The key is to choose correct skills first to make the game easier, be stealthy trough the level and collect PDAs on the way. These actions will give you extra xp and make the game actually very fun to play. I finished Dark in 2,5 days and would have liked to play it alot more. I hope they make sequal for this Great game. Expand
  9. Aug 14, 2013
    I wish I could say the idea was solid but the developer couldn't pull it off. But no. Despite vampires being featured prominently, the main character has supernatural powers more befitting a jedi, with a distinct weakness for... pretty much everything, really. The stealth aspect is woefully mishandled, such that if you are spotted, you might as well commit suicide. It's hard, but not theI wish I could say the idea was solid but the developer couldn't pull it off. But no. Despite vampires being featured prominently, the main character has supernatural powers more befitting a jedi, with a distinct weakness for... pretty much everything, really. The stealth aspect is woefully mishandled, such that if you are spotted, you might as well commit suicide. It's hard, but not the sort of hard where you feel a sense of accomplishment.

The worst thing about the entire game is that you don't feel like a vampire. Vampire Bloodlines remains the gold standard. Even the Elder Scrolls series did a better job handling vampirism, and it wasn't even a core part of the gameplay.

I recommend this game only to masochists who love vampires. And maybe Twilight fans. They deserve some suffering.
  10. Aug 12, 2013
    Dark is a stealth based game by Kalypso Media where you play as Eric Bane a vampire with several powers who must use his abilities defeat his enemies human and vampire alike. This is a game that seeks to mimic the styling of Assassins Creed and the darkness of Dishonored, but unfortunately due to several major flaws fails to live up to the fun or polish of either game.

Dark is a stealth

Dark is a stealth based RPG that promises a deep and engaging story with unique settings and abilities all of which is set in the dark and forboding world of vampires. Your abilities are fueled by the energy you consume from your victims and your objective is to use your powers to make your way through the areas and reach your goal. Unfortunately there are more than a few problem this game has when attempting to make good on these promise of a deep and immersive world with challenging gameplay.

Visit www.GameFan365.com for the full review
  11. Aug 11, 2013
    This game gets bashed mainly because the company doesn't have fanboys. Game has outstanding visuals, great core concept focused around stealth and more.

Don't believe the negatives, most are upset that its not another cod or god of war.

My version has outstanding A.I. maybe the critics just don't have the rigs to handle this beast.
  12. Aug 10, 2013
    My review says it all. Horrible game. The plot contradicts itself. You don't care for any of the characters, it's unbalanced. However they do have some interesting gameplay elements.

13. Aug 5, 2013
    DARK does one thing right: makes all other vampire games look amazing in comparison. With a broken combat system, stupid morals (throwing away the easiest and most exploitable, yet intrinsic to the 'to eat or not to eat' question of morality for vampires), horribly linear levels and just overall boring. This to date is the only game I have ever emailed Steam to send me a refund of my $40,DARK does one thing right: makes all other vampire games look amazing in comparison. With a broken combat system, stupid morals (throwing away the easiest and most exploitable, yet intrinsic to the 'to eat or not to eat' question of morality for vampires), horribly linear levels and just overall boring. This to date is the only game I have ever emailed Steam to send me a refund of my $40, which I unfortunately did not receive back. It is now a blight on my Steam library. Every time I scroll up to 'D', I have to be reminded of what a horrible choice I made and the waste of money that occurred on my bank account. In short: worthless trite I wish never existed. Expand
  14. Aug 2, 2013
    I've been an avid Thief and Hitman gamer since those games hit the market and I love stealth games. When I saw the cover art of Dark it immediately reminded me of Thief, the reviews however made me hesitant. After really wanting to like Remember Me and realizing that the game sucked, I didn't wanted to be disappointed again, yet I don't judge a book by its cover (or other reviews) and gaveI've been an avid Thief and Hitman gamer since those games hit the market and I love stealth games. When I saw the cover art of Dark it immediately reminded me of Thief, the reviews however made me hesitant. After really wanting to like Remember Me and realizing that the game sucked, I didn't wanted to be disappointed again, yet I don't judge a book by its cover (or other reviews) and gave it a shot.

I was pleasantly surprised. The game uses a cell shaded look, probably to hide the fact that the developers didn't have high-quality textures available. In the end the game gave a very even look without mushy and pixelated textures, so I guess they achieved their goal.

This is a low budget title and for what it is, I found it to be impressive. The voice actors are generally okay, only some of them delivered a cringe worthy performance, but nothing too bad to make you turn off the game. The audio engine itself lacks the ability to dampen sound in relation of the player's distance to the sound emitting object, so if you talk to someone and move away the speech will not be muffled. Also, there's no positional audio. The latter isn't really needed, but the former is just a necessity for modern games.

As people have already pointed out, the animations are not always up to par, mainly those for blood sucking, but most of them do look realistic enough to enjoy the game. I played the game on hard and tried to avoid alarms and found the game to be easy, yet enjoyable. Apparently people are split on the difficulty as is apparent from some reviews here. Some find it too hard, but then there's a reason for having a difficulty setting. Also, some people seemed to have struggled, because they couldn't adapt to the gameplay necessary to get the most out of the game.

FMVs were crisp and not the pixelated mess I usually get to see from big titles. The story had me roll my eyes at the beginning, but after a while I kind of warmed up to it. The story isn't actually bad, just the way the lay it out feels kind of clumsy at times, but that's what to be expected from a budget title. I've got the feeling that if the game would have had the kind of money in the back the big companies can spend, then this would have been the start of a new IP. May be it still is. After all, other games with similarly limited gameplay and storytelling (the first Call of Juarez comes to mind) managed to step it up tremendously in the sequel.

I found the gameplay to be quite addictive. The first level didn't really click with me. Mostly, because I didn't really have a clue which situations to expect and which powers to upgrade, but by the second level I was really enjoying the game. I was powered up enough to do cool stunts and take out enemies effectively. Also, later on the game manages to keep things fresh by challenging the player with ever new situations forcing you to explore new tactics (if you want to keep it alarm-free that is).

Also, the level design was pretty good. The levels are huge without loading zones. There are plenty of details, so the game doesn't feel empty. All in all, the game creates a believable world. There are shortcomings though. Apart from the superficial ones I mentioned, there some gripes with gameplay. In level 2 there's a section where while you're trying to take out a guard a cutscene will interfere. The game tries to incorporate sound by using littered floor as sound source which you should try to avoid. Thief implemented this a whole lot better. They could have left that feature out for all I care since it's barely game defining and only rarely encountered. Your attacks and actions create sounds too and those are traceable by the enemy. Too bad there's no indicator how much you're audible. At least they found a clever way to indicate visibility. Whenever an enemy starts to spot you, a circle appears that goes from green to red. If you manage to break line of sight before it's red you're safe. Simple but efficient. The game made several hints that shadows have an impact on visibility, but neither does it explain this feature, nor will you encounter many shadows. While the game uses light and shadows throughout, they don't seem to play a role and if they do, I didn't need to stick to the shadows to beat it.

All in all I have to say I liked the game. It offers replay value: I can't wait for a second run through to beat it even more perfectly, now that I know what to expect. Ghosting through the levels will also be fun especially with the teleport power and so will be a violent playthrough where I can ignore stealth completely and take enemies head on.

Is it a genre defining game? No.
    Was it fun to play? You bet!
    Did I feel I wasted my time? No!

Even with more advanced stealth games around, there are still far too few to cater to the genre and this game sure does give fans of the genre some fun before Thief 4 comes around. As simple as it is, as enjoyable is it. You need a knack for patience and stealth though.
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    There are a lot of similarities, though. Poor graphics and CGI in both (the animation quality is particularly bad in this game), both have a terrible story, neither feels like something actually based on vampires, they're just generic media with vampiric reskins. Neither is good at what it tries to do as generic media (really bad stealth in this game, btw guys). As something vampire themedThere are a lot of similarities, though. Poor graphics and CGI in both (the animation quality is particularly bad in this game), both have a terrible story, neither feels like something actually based on vampires, they're just generic media with vampiric reskins. Neither is good at what it tries to do as generic media (really bad stealth in this game, btw guys). As something vampire themed it's better than twilight.. barely. Expand
  16. Jul 25, 2013
    this game starts off with a decent story base, but with out spoiling anything for anyone.... the first 3 missions are incredibly repetitive there literally the same thing just with a different skin..

The powers/ability's are neat some of them once leveled up make getting thru the levels alot easier other wise i recommend you play on easy, normal difficulty seems way to hard and incredibly frustrating.

the controls are for lack of a better word lose... they really need tightening up it was incredibly frustrating trying to kill something from a corner crouching position.. oh and god forbid you run up on humans and try to hit them with your vampire awesomeness..... each levels really only about 10-15 minutes long.

you'll likely spend many frustrated hours. this game could have been such a great game if they just put some polish and thought into it.
  17. Jul 25, 2013
    I had very low expectations and even that i was disappointed. When you see a trailer of this game you can already feel that something is not right. And its true, It has some good elements but there are so many mistakes and so many things copied from other games, trough game you will find yourself saying, i saw this in another game and this in that game etc. Not a total blow but still not good.
  18. Jul 23, 2013
    Bought the game with a low expectations ive played others similar games and didnt believe it would live up to them. the game is a simple graphic like borderlands with low needs which makes it good for all users to have a chance of playing. now there are alot of bad reviews, ive played this game multi-times the story is good and has many twists. you never know what to except, the plotBought the game with a low expectations ive played others similar games and didnt believe it would live up to them. the game is a simple graphic like borderlands with low needs which makes it good for all users to have a chance of playing. now there are alot of bad reviews, ive played this game multi-times the story is good and has many twists. you never know what to except, the plot developers did a great job building each chapter and characters. i wish the characters had more a story behind them to show why there personality and quirks where the way they are however, the way the story develops through 2-3 days as the main character tries to save his life its understandable. bottom line its a game (even with some glitches like most games) to play as long as you have a open mind and dont get angry quickly. it seems most of these reviews were because they had difficulty sneaking and killing hordes of enemies. Expand
  19. Jul 22, 2013
    The game concept is not bad and it had the potential of being a really good stealth game with a vampire envioroment. However, this game, take my word for it, is really not worth its money. In my opinion, the photoes and trailers of the game shows its few and only good sides, almost tricking you to be intrested in the game.

After playing it for a couple of minutes, you realize how little

After playing it for a couple of minutes, you realize how little time the developers put into the game. It have the graphics of a fair 2008 game, and the programming of a 2003. Way after in my opinion.

To make it short, because I dont want you to waste your time reading all about this game, because its probably not something you want, unless you like glitchy, buggy, bad animated games.
  20. Jul 22, 2013
    Pluses: guys, i realy tried to find some pluses, but i didn't...
    Minuses: game is very hard, bad animation, bad graphics, bad stealth, bad plot, bad controll, very low budget...
  21. Jul 21, 2013
    Looked Good. Plays Bad.
    Worst animations I've seen in a long time and I could forgive bad animations but these animations are just the product of lazy developers. You don't even have an animation to walk in each direction so when you do a 360 turn it looks insanely stupid. Like I said I could get past the animations if the game wasn't so boring and easy.
  22. Jul 21, 2013
    In my opinion, this game does deserve a warmer welcome from players and reviewers. Of course, it has some flaws and doesn't look much polished in a way you could expect from an AAA game (which is not).
    But, in many ways, it tries to make things well :
    - The gameplay is pretty interesting and intuitive, while - The level design is overall well-suited to the powers and abilities you just
    But, in many ways, it tries to make things well :
    - The gameplay is pretty interesting and intuitive, while
    - The level design is overall well-suited to the powers and abilities you just unlocked in the previous area. It offers a good verticality as well ("shadow leap" ability)
    - Moreover, the Rpg-style Xp points system gives you several possibilities of achievement with pretty cool powers showing well balanced cooldowns and potentials.
    - The graphics are really not bad for a cel-shaded game, but the characters' animations look rigid.
    - The storyline is pretty basic and uninteresting, but at least it lets you visit different places and stalk different preys.
    Overall, this game reminds me of "Batman Arkham Asylum" challenge maps, where you try to blend into the background while spotting and then swooping on your preys in different arenas.

it doesn't take long to reach the credits page, but overall the game was fun for me despite its flaws. I think it should be sold 15-20
  23. Jul 18, 2013
    1.Funny running animation.
    2.Horrible voice acting.
    3.Many bugs
    4.First person view when draggin a body is horrible.
    5.Combat system is a total letdown.

Total waste of 40$

I like Stealth games because of that I will give 2.
  24. Jul 17, 2013
    The game has a few good concepts to make the gameplay interesting, sadly there are many flaws covering up the good things. Pros: Power ups, dialogues with jokes.

Cons: 1.Obviously overpriced 2.Standard graphic 3. Not enough characters and places to make a good story 4.Ridiculous gameplay mechanics, e.g. sometimes it's frustrating when you want to quickly kill an enemy near a corpse

Cons: 1.Obviously overpriced
    2.Standard graphic
    3. Not enough characters and places to make a good story
    4.Ridiculous gameplay mechanics, e.g. sometimes it's frustrating when you want to quickly kill an enemy near a corpse because the kill and drag enemy dead body button is same
    5.Every characters talked like they doesn't need to breathe because of the gapless dialogue
    6.Mediocre sounds
    7.There are PDAs to collect and few side quest but you don't have a journal to keep it in mind
    8.Limited save (only 2 on normal difficulty) regardless how big is the area

Conclusion: though i'm able to enjoy some parts of the game, it's not worth the price and not worth to be recommended unless you really want it.
  25. Jul 16, 2013
    Good: Design Style is awesome
    Good: The game is fun to play.
    Good: I love all the abilities and normal difficulty feels pretty balanced. Good: I like how you are limited on your quick saves so it adds another challenge to the stealth style game. Nothing breaks the risk than having a quick save before every kill. Hard difficulty is even better as you only get auto saves and every mistake
    Good: Design Style is awesome
    Good: The game is fun to play.
    Good: I love all the abilities and normal difficulty feels pretty balanced.
    Good: I like how you are limited on your quick saves so it adds another challenge to the stealth style game. Nothing breaks the risk than having a quick save before every kill. Hard difficulty is even better as you only get auto saves and every mistake might mean killing 13 guys all over again.
    Good: The story mixed in with gameplay to remind you constantly what you were doing in these locations.

Bad: Normal difficulty and Hard difficulty have the same enemies and they have the same patrol patterns. If you play pure stealth, then hard isn't much different than normal other than how fast they kill you.
    Bad: Really short. I beat the game on Normal and then Hard. One day of playing for each.
    Bad: Challenges might have been fun, but forcing us to redo our abilities before each round is stupid. Just give us some abilities and make us deal with what you give us.
    Bad: Becoming a Vampire that can do it all removes the replay of this game. If picking different skills actually means I would not get to have others would limit our characters and cause us to play differently each time through. As it is no matter what by the last level you have capped out all abilities.
  26. Jul 15, 2013
    this was most worst piece of rubbish i am sugar coating term of rubbish it polite terms for it. none the less game sucks could they not use better a.i and making the game more cartoonish like the darkness 2 no matter the game they used is like dragon age talking function.

which is repetitive action with term of vampire powers is the worst and trying to lv up ur powers with rpg style.

why was this made i thought the trailer they gave us look alright then game play sucked ass

trust me dont buy it
  27. Cay
    Jul 15, 2013
    I went and got this game with a healthy amount of skepticism, and as thus wasn't the least bit surprised when it turned out to be pretty average, maybe even a bit below.

First of all, the game is terribly overpriced. Having to pay 45 euros for this is just awful, but it *might* be worth getting at 50% off. Now then; the story is pretty boring, there's no reason to care about the characters at all since they only serve to advance the story(and the dialogue is terrible, it feels forced and unnatural), many things are left unexplained, the animation quality isn't anything to write home about, the AI is pretty ridiculous and doesn't pose any real challenge since they ALWAYS follow the same pattern and if you get discovered you're pretty much dead, and sometimes you have only a split second to find cover before you're spotted and instakilled by some guy half a mile away. Targeting the teleportation skill is also tremendously frustrating, and you will often be ripping your hair out trying to place it properly.

But it doesn't completely suck. The abilities are fun to play around with, even though you might not have any reason to use more than two or three of them. I like the art style and the levels look good, so you'll at least have something pretty to look at until that guard circles back into position. The gameplay isn't *really* bad, and while the AI is pretty predictable, you can have a bit of fun finding different routes to your objectives, or issuing various challenges to yourself to spice the game up a bit. The universe itself has some rather interesting sides, but they just aren't fleshed out enough and there might be a million reasons that they weren't, but the result is the same. You're left with a lot of unanswered questions and a lot of potential dropped right on the floor..
  28. Jul 13, 2013
    This game is a rushed horrible excuse for a stealth game I am serious there is nothing good about this game. If you want a good stealth game just go buy Splinter Cell or Thief or even Hitman just don't let them steal 40$ from your pocket by buying this garbage. Its sad to I was looking forward to this game it was a good idea but executed terribly
  29. Jul 12, 2013
    DARK is not inherently bad. It is, however, quite bland. The leaders on the market (MGS, SC, Hitman...) all have their own way of approaching stealth. DARK's mechanic is simply bland: stay under cover all the time and study your enemies' route. Then when you've got everything figured out, try not to mess it up.

Thing is, the AI is just too good. It doesn't feel human. Enemies are too

Thing is, the AI is just too good. It doesn't feel human. Enemies are too quick to respond when sighting you, and seem to have quite a wide field of vision (I figured pretty much 180°, which is strange because supposedly you're less visible due to being a vampire).
    Therefore, when even a single guard finds you out, you're pretty much dead. Most stealth games simply have your pursuers forget you and go back to their routine, not DARK. The countdown during which they'll look for you is incredibly long, and I don't think I ever had guards drop their search for me in DARK (usually they kill me or there's only one guy looking for me and I manage to kill him). It would have made sense for once to have them forget about you, what with your vampire powers....

You have some powers you can unlock but it doesn't feel like they're really helpful either they don't last long enough, or they only target one enemy and most of the time you'll have to take care of a dozen. Maybe there's a certain skill development one can take to make the game easier, but it certainly doesn't feel like there is one.

But as I said, DARK is not inherently bad. Everything else about the game can be quite enjoyable, we're going back to the roots of vampires blood drinkers and outcasts of society. The only thing that needs to be fixed is the AI.
  30. Jul 10, 2013
    Well, it's not a triple A title, and the end product does show that. It's not as well polished nor is the art/voice acting spectacular. But from a small developer, I thought they did quite well. I don't normally play stealth games, and was looking for a casual RPG when I ran across this. I though the story was decent compared to some of the crap that gets toted around in games. TheWell, it's not a triple A title, and the end product does show that. It's not as well polished nor is the art/voice acting spectacular. But from a small developer, I thought they did quite well. I don't normally play stealth games, and was looking for a casual RPG when I ran across this. I though the story was decent compared to some of the crap that gets toted around in games. The character development could have been done a lot better, I really didn't feel much attachment to any of them. As far as RPG elements are concerned, some basic character building is there, but you wind up unlocking most of the powers by the end anyways, so it's just a timing thing. I would recommend it to others, I felt it had a lot of potential but was either limited by time or too small a budget to really hash it out. A bigger focus on character development and AI would really have made this a great game, but I'm happy with my purchase. Expand

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Sep 19, 2013
    Initially a terrible thing that becomes a relatively entertaining stealth action game, if you manage to (literally) bite your way through. Unfortunately, excellent ideas are screwed up by their problematic elaboration. [Issue#232]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    A work of sulky blandness that does itself no favors by latching onto better games and cooler vampires. [ Nov 2013, p.68]
  3. CD-Action
    Aug 28, 2013
    There are some mildly satisfying moments in Dark, but most of the time you’re stuck between boredom and frustration. [CD-Action 10/2013, p.67]