7.3

1. X0R
    Jul 17, 2013
    I love DayZ, and like EVE, but didn't like this PvP MMO. I like that it has a lot of mystery for "What do I do now" but it's an empty world, feels like an apocalypse hit a fantasy world. Cancelled my subscription but I applaud the attempt, since they tried to make this different than a WoW clone.
  2. Apr 21, 2013
    So much potential...yet it feels like a beta.Stop releasing games that are not ready for market.

Hopefully it has the population to gain some money to make it better. For now, though, it needs way too much work, especially to justify a subscription.
  3. May 1, 2013
    DFUW started as a patch scheduled to go into effect in 2010. In fact, it was called DF 2010. Well 2010 came and went and the "patch" that they kept talking about got turned into a nameless expansion. They showed artwork, player models, reworked areas and listed ideas they intended to include in this game changing expansion.

Now, keep in mind that all the while this development going on
    the communication was abysmal. They were supposed to have a weekly post, well it wasn't even remotely weekly, it wasn't even monthly. There were months at a time where Aventurine would completely cease communication only to release a screen shot of a reworked area as if that showed they were in fact working on what they said they were.

Then in 2012, they announced the expansion which they had now been hyping for 3 years was going to be a new game altogether.

Being that the Idea of darkfall is 1 that I love I preordered and played through much of the beta. Despite promises things would be different, it wasn't. There was literally no communication. We asked what happened to the character models they had shown us as part of the original development, because the new ones are terrible. No response. They told us the market system would be in for release, it wasn't. There are supposed to be 4 classes with 4 schools each(some are locked out) but that is supposed to equate to 32 class combos. But they only but in 4 classes with 2 schools each, or 8 combos with only very slight differences between 4 of the 8.

2 of the 5 racial cities and starter areas were not in the release. Those races are being forced to start in other racial cities, a slap in the face to anyone that cares about lore.

As to lore, they removed any real difference between the races. All are the same size now and there is very little you can do to make your character look any different from every other of your race.

The game lost all of the sandbox features found in the original. In fact, DFUW isn't a sandbox at all, or it doesn't have any of the characteristics of it. Yet, they sill claim it to be 1.

The best thing about this game, and it is the ONLY thing that keeps it from getting a zero is the world they created for you to play in. It is wonderfully crafted even if it is incomplete.

The new Prowess system is both a blessing and a curse. On 1 hand, it eliminates the need to macro, which is a wonderful thing because macroing literally was DF 1. If you didn't macro, you didn't even remotely compete. However, the prowess system put the game in the themepark zone because now you must accomplish a series of linear quests in order to advance. "go kill 10 zombies" followed by "kill 100 zombies" etc. That is the primary way you advance your character, though quests. They call them "feats" but the truth is a wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf.

All I can say about this game is that the company behind it is the worst I have ever seen, and I have been playing MMOs since 1998.

You may not have a problem with them now, but eventually you too will be disappointed and left with the feeling that the dev team is just a group of 4 guys meeting in a garage somewhere in Greece making game decisions between other shared hobbies.
  4. Apr 28, 2013
    I love gaming, I do, but this game has been rated way to high. This is probably done by fan boys who want this game to have a big population, understandable.

I had the unpleasant experience of playing this game. It has become the gaming industry standard of releasing have finished game, that should be in beta, and hope to patch it up after release. This doesn't work anymore.

The game
    controls are clumsy and badly implemented. The thought of open world PVP and full loot might appeal some gamers, I love the idea, but what is not acceptable is that half the classes and skills are not even implemented. Aside from the constant crashes this game is barely playable.

On top of that when you are new and try to explore the world you get ganked more often then you'd like. Yes, open world PVP and full loot. I don't mind but I've been ganked by 4 players who call themselves old school veterans (who played the first game) and told me that's the way this game works. I know and I don't care but it'll be those same players who will complain about the player base dropping, very, very soon.

If that's not enough, the Steam forums of Darkfall are moderated heavily. Anny and all negative comments, and even some constructive criticism are immediately removed.

And then there's the price, €40 for the game and €15 monthly. For a game that is trying to get new players, that price is beyond ridiculous.

This game will soon fall for more reasons then I can sum up here, stay away if you don't want to waste your money, they have a strict no refund policy and they don't care.
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    Another game released in an unfinished state..... AAA price and subscription. Screw that. AVOID unless you like WarZ like fails.

Cannot play b/c character creation causes crashes, no way to send tickets through to devs, do we need more. Sergay Titov must be behind this.
  6. Aug 11, 2013
    I played the game for 9 weeks now. The truth is darkfall uw is more known for its rabid fanboys then its "good" gameplay. The graphics are maybe up to everquest2, the character models quake 2 maybe 3 or high.

Graphics are bad, Community is bad, Interface is bad, Value is bad.

Don't let fanboys suck you into this walking abortion.
  7. Apr 22, 2013
    As others have said, the game has potential but the mindless grind and the gap between vets and new players will be it's death. Their feat (achievement) system is over scaled and underwhelming, the best way to gain Prowess (skill points) is to either AFK farm resources or kill hundreds of the same monster. The monster AI hasn't been touched, the sound is bad and while the graphics are improved, the performance is very questionable. It's like they just kept adding on to their engine but didn't fully optimize it to accommodate their additions.

A couple months from now the skill gap between vets and new players will start to ruin the population. New players will become uninterested in the game when they find out the amount of time it will take to become competitive. While the grind is an improvement over DF1, it's still designed for the obsessive player and ruins true skill based PvP.

Aventurine is also one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with. They've double charged my credit card before, disabled my subscription on accident and taken 2 days to fix it, banned my account on 'accident' among others. Don't buy this game unless you like wasting money.
  8. May 8, 2013
    One of the worst experiences I've had in an MMO. The game is below standard. I'd give the gameplay a 4/10, but that's not why I rated the game as a flat 0.

The game is buggy, badly optimised, laggy, has a lot of down time, is prone to crashing and has huge fps spikes down to the 10s.

The company that made it are shady and unreliable, they ban forum users who express a negative
    response and pin favorable reviews to make the game seem like a good investment.

Please, please, please DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Do not support the cretins who made this.
  9. Apr 22, 2013
    Game has potential but just so poorly executed. People say the launch was awesome yet they did not have the download ready until the actual launch time. Also missing tons of content such as trade market, 50% of each class is missing, no dungeons, etc. Needs a LOT of work and not even close to worth a subscription.
  10. Apr 25, 2013
    Don't let the high scores fool you. The game is currently in an alpha state it is missing half the classes, half the content, and the community is about as pleasant as a max security prison. You will crash when you run into other players and can expect to take 5 min of loading screens to get into the game.
  11. May 2, 2013
    I have followed this game since about 2004. I played Darkfall 1.0 about two weeks after the game released (because you couldn't buy the game unless you sat and hit f5 1000 times in a row). The original game was a GRIND, maybe the worse grind I have ever seen. I only played for a couple of months and moved on with my life. I always liked the idea of the game and hoped one day they would make a better version of it.

When Unholy Wars was announced, I was excited. Finally they would do everything right this time! Nope. It’s a grind with garbage mobs, terrible AI, it's buggy, lags and the UI for things like the backpack that you use all the time is downright horrible.

The game is PVP based, which is awesome, the bad thing is to PVP effectively you have to grind on mobs that are boring and bugged out and drop crap. People on the forums will tell you that you don't need to complete with other players to PVP, which is a flat out lie. People that have already been doing the insane grind will be way, way more powerful then you when you start. You will struggle to catch up and be killed constantly once you leave the safe zones.

To make things worse, the developers hardly ever communicate to the fan base. The forums are a terrible place with what seems like 13 year old Xbox live ****

Save your money. Unfortunately there are no other games like this at the moment(in this setting). If you are really curious I would wait a couple of months until the population is cut half (at least) and they offer a free trial. By then some of the nonsense might be fixed.
  12. May 2, 2013
    This game is absolute crap.

Darkfall 1 had a vision, and had original ideas even if were executed badly. Darkfall: UW is a terrible version of what Darkfall could and should've been.

STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS.
  13. May 4, 2013
    The only redeeming quality this game has is that no one else is willing to try doing what it does, which is create an open world full loot PvP game. That is where the good points begin and end.

It's a poorly balanced, mechanically unsound, unfinished mess that looks about as good as the original Half-Life. Not that I care much about graphics, but the graphics and animations of this
    game leave you in such awe with how half assed they all are that you can't help but mention them. They tell the same story as the rest of the game; half assed and unfinished.

Each class only has 2 of their promised 4 schools on release, making them all play the same boring way.

It's very clear that the devs did not care about beta feedback as class balance is hilariously bad, and the excuse given is "wait for the 2 extra schools that we promised would be there on release" so you can be sure that nothing will be done for months and months.

Crafting professions NYI or barely implemented/poorly balanced, for example enchanting is NYI, mountsummoning stops at 25/100 because they were too lazy to add higher level mounts, and cooking requires spices, a rare mob drop, in order to level at all past like 35.

Combat is slow and takes little skill.

The interface is awful and these problems hurt combat. You have to press a button to equip an ability, and then click to use the ability, rather than just the ability triggering on key press. The game defaults to your auto attack if you happen to try to use a spell with 0.1 seconds left on the cooldown (which you can't see without equipping it.) Weapon swaps routinely bug and come out unsheathed, costing you seconds of time. Combat in this game would perhaps be acceptable in a game made in 2001, but this isn't 2001. The only redeeming quality it has is that it's not tab target, everything else about it is just woefully bad.

The interface problems of course extend past combat, making tasks like inventory/bank management, chatting, friends list managing etc an absolute chore.

There is of course, however, the one positive mentioned earlier. Aventurine managed to make a big world map with mob spawns in them that people want to kill, so can find PvP. Good job! The only thing you got right was the absolute most simplest part of designing your game!

Avoid this. The positive reviews are not honest. They are long-time fans who are practically indoctrinated and who believe that simply because the game tries to do something no one else wants to do, that it shouldn't be held to the same standards of every other video game ever made.
  14. Nov 4, 2013
    Darkfall hmm where to start...I know, I downloaded the game and had trouble logging in.. Send in a ticket ..darkfall response......try this......email them back.........try that........email them back....try this......how about giving ppl all the information in 1 shot instead of this back and forward crap........still unable to log in ....(Darkfall support) oh can u fill out his customer satisfaction survey..im still unable to log in and they are worried about a stupid survey how about you get in the fckn game first!!

FYI finally made it into the game and I tell you what a waste of money... I realise why there is no free trial...........
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. May 17, 2013
    Darkfall: Unholy Wars is a unique title. Full-loot, full-PvP, in a huge sandbox is a daunting and grueling mechanic for an MMO. But it makes for an experience like no other MMO. The combat is fast paced, crafting is integral and character progression is constant. In addition to this, clan warfare is highly encouraged, allowing for full on clan battles, which is where the fun starts. Aventurine have made a good go of polishing up their game from the first iteration of Darkfall. Unholy Wars truly shows off what a hardcore MMORPG really is and can be.