Darkspore PC

6.0

1. Apr 28, 2011
    Not bad!

Not bad!

After playing it for just a short while, any doubt I had about this purchase was quickly washed away. My friends all had a blast playing it together and I can see us becoming quite addicted to it. I'm excited to play it again tonight! As you progress through the game, you will increase in levels. Your levels don't actually dictate the strengths of your heroes, but rather how many heroes you can unlock. As you might've already heard, there's 100 heroes. As you increase in levels, you are given access to more heroes but you can only unlock a few. (For example, a few levels into the game will give you access to more than 10 heroes but you may only be able to unlock 4 of them.) There's only a few genuinely different hero characters, then the heroes begin to repeat previous iterations but have different stats and abilities. The hero editor is nowhere near as indepth as Spore's creature editor was, but still proves plenty of options. All heroes have preset appearances and you can add chunks of gear you find onto them to change their appearances. Not only that, but you can move or remove certain appendages and details from a heroes body as well as change their colors and color patterns. The end result is that you and a friend can have 2 of the exact same hero and end up looking completely different from each other. .

The concept of Darkspore is simple (a bit too simple) You are set loose upon a level, and you kill your way through to the end. Just how "simple" this actually is in terms of difficulty varies, since the enemies on the map are random every time. The maps themselves are not. Which is disappointing given the already linear nature of some of the levels. Other levels are a tad different from "kill-your-way-to-the-end" and require some exploration to complete. The story is unfortunately quite meaningless. You can literally write up your own insane lines to accompany every nigh-pointless cutscenes and it wouldn't make any more or less sense. Levels are visually pleasing, and the soundtrack is amazing.

Fighting enemies is a lot of fun. Every enemy of different types have unique traits to them, from the massive juggernaut enemies to small grunts, they all have something special to them. In large groups, these enemies combine their strengths and weaknesses and can be a pretty stiff obstacle even if approached with caution. Just as your group of heroes attempt to use squad tactics, the enemies will too. Upon reaching the final areas of the level, you'll encounter a Horde of enemies which can put your group through it's paces, until finally a boss enemy spawns. The bosses are quite tough, are flanked by minions, and definitely require teamwork to bring down. The end chapter bosses are pretty insane too.

Combining abilities amongst your friend's heroes is a lot of fun as well. The game is marketed as having a lot of "ability combinations" and "squad tactics". I was worried that this would be a load of baloney and just boil down to mindless murdering everything. To a certain extent, it is. But I was quite surprised that these terms turned out to be truer than I thought. Especially when you get attacked by groups of powerful enemies. For those of you who enjoy teamwork with your friends, you'll love combining hero abilities together, and sometimes are even essential to the survival of your team. The large selection of heroes makes squad tactics very interesting, with attacks that cripple enemies, slow them down, and debuff them, as well as supporting abilities that heal your team or provide them with powerful buffs. You can have a squad of 3 heroes active at a time when you enter a level. You can switch between these heroes whenever you want, however upon switching, a long cooldown is imposed to prevent you from switching constantly without any constraint. Switching itself also poses a problem as it leaves you temporarily frozen in place and vulnerable to attack. With a group of friends each with completely different heroes, you can switch "roles" on the fly keeping gameplay constantly fresh throughout the level and never leaving you pigeonholed into one spot. It's a clever system.

However, for all the positives I mentioned, there is one crucial thing that you must know, this is a coop multiplayer experience and is best played with at least 2-3 friends. Me and my friends are always on the lookout for games like this, and this proved to be up to par with us and gives us a lot of fun. If you plan on buying the game for yourself, then I won't be surprised if you are turned off by this game. That fact alone prevents me from giving it more than a 7 because of the multiplayer "requirement". The price will also turn many people off, as it did with me as well. But seeing how much fun we are having, I have no doubt at all that we will get many hours of enjoyment out of it. And to us, that makes it worth it!
  2. May 12, 2011
    It can get pretty tedious. I can understand grinding for weapons or cash, but the fact is you need to complete earlier missions more than once just to be able to do the next one without dying. IMO, that's just terrible scaling. If you enjoy collecting a lot of loot, the game has a lot of that. Don't let the "creator" fool you though, it's just a glorified equipment screen, not a placeIt can get pretty tedious. I can understand grinding for weapons or cash, but the fact is you need to complete earlier missions more than once just to be able to do the next one without dying. IMO, that's just terrible scaling. If you enjoy collecting a lot of loot, the game has a lot of that. Don't let the "creator" fool you though, it's just a glorified equipment screen, not a place where you can customize your character's look much. Overall, OK if you just need another time waster, but don't feel like you're missing anything profound. Expand
  3. Apr 28, 2011
    Imagine a taking the only worthwhile aspect of Spore - The Creature Creator - and then removing it. Or, imagine taking Diablo II, removing the creative level design and giving each playable character only 3 skills. Yes, you can unlock tons of different creatures to play as in the game, but their looks and skills are locked, all you can do is add superficial changes like extra horns andImagine a taking the only worthwhile aspect of Spore - The Creature Creator - and then removing it. Or, imagine taking Diablo II, removing the creative level design and giving each playable character only 3 skills. Yes, you can unlock tons of different creatures to play as in the game, but their looks and skills are locked, all you can do is add superficial changes like extra horns and twigs, which may or may not increase certain stats but add nothing to the core gameplay. Also the level design tends to be boring, uninspired, and it just doesn't have any tile variation or details that will make one level of the jungle planet look any different from the next level. I'm giving the game a 5 because it executed the basics with competence, but as a game it's just not that memorable of a gaming experience. Expand
  4. Oct 27, 2013
    Tries to mix Diablo style gameplay with League of Legends style "heroes". It's a pretty forgettable dungeon crawler that tries to force you into co-op whether you want it or not. Personally I'd rather not be forced to play with other if I don't want to.
  5. Apr 28, 2011
    Darkspore fails to offer anything new to the Action RPG genre that actually improves the gameplay itself. Sure, you can customize the look of your characters (which you can hardly notice unless you make everything extremely large) more than most games, but what does that really add to the game? Once you get past that you're left with a repetitive action rpg that's severely lacking when itDarkspore fails to offer anything new to the Action RPG genre that actually improves the gameplay itself. Sure, you can customize the look of your characters (which you can hardly notice unless you make everything extremely large) more than most games, but what does that really add to the game? Once you get past that you're left with a repetitive action rpg that's severely lacking when it comes to actual gameplay customization. Expand
  6. Aug 22, 2013
    Purchased this game on Steam. Attempted to register and game declares an error everytime. UNPLAYABLE. Could be because of region. Anyways. This game has an always online requirement so when the servers are shut down no one will be able to play it. For me, It's already unplayable. Another Maxis-EA POS. Avoid like the plague. You have been warned.

THE GROT REVIEW CRITERIA: After a long

7. Apr 26, 2011
    If your looking for some diablo style hack and slash its not a bad game. Instead of any character customization (other then gear) there is just a ton of different guys to unlock. I prefer the diablo style character customization better but its ok. If your on a budget i would wait for the price to drop, i doubt you will have to wait long.
  8. Jun 14, 2011
    I played the beta and got pretty bored of it quickly. It was interesting, and fun at times.. but its just lacking.. I don't know what, no more interest in this game. 5 / 10
  9. Jun 17, 2012
    It's a good time killer. Great for those people who have to unlock everthing. It is extremely linear, though. There's no real exploring to do. It lacks any real storyline. Pretty much just a basic hack and slash. The character editor is kinda fun - it's build around Spore's creature creator.

Still a better game than Diablo 3.
  10. Jun 22, 2012
    Good games to play if you like coops rpg game. The Idea is good (monster creation etc). Quite repetitive, sometimes boring, the stages are look alike one another in campaign. Vast Squad & Equipment customization. Overall: Good, but need of CONSTANT internet connection can be found disturbing.
  11. Apr 29, 2011
    As a few others have mentioned, *please* don't think this is Spore, or really anything to do with it. The only Spore-related thing about it is the hero editor, which is fantastic. Other reviews have complained that the game-play is too repetitive. I think that can be said of most games, if you look at them realistically. I don't personally find Darkspore's game play boring orAs a few others have mentioned, *please* don't think this is Spore, or really anything to do with it. The only Spore-related thing about it is the hero editor, which is fantastic. Other reviews have complained that the game-play is too repetitive. I think that can be said of most games, if you look at them realistically. I don't personally find Darkspore's game play boring or repetitive because of a few features. In other games, if you repeat a level you've done, you will find... that same level. In Darkspore, if you repeat it, you will be given a random map selection from ones you've completed and a random assortment of different enemies. Perhaps the people who insist it is still the same game, time after time, haven't played it far enough. Yes, the beginning levels are easy--you can run around smacking everything in sight without a problem. As you progress, however, the enemies not only become more difficult because of their abilities, they become smarter. The AI for them is improved at later levels. This changes up the game play from straight beat-it-in-the-face to needing tactics to beat certain combinations of enemies. Building your squads of heroes becomes more important, so you will have the right tools to defeat certain encounters. I like that you can enjoy exactly the same content single-player or co-op. Either mode provides unique challenges and changes game play. While I've enjoyed ARPGs throughout the years, I've always been a bit of an MMO addict. I *really* like that this game is not the usual solo-til-max-level thing, and then you *must* find more people to do anything fun or useful. Another great thing about this game is the sidekick system. A drawback of other games is, a friend of mine will start playing it to play with me, but can't actually do that, because I'm a much higher level. With Darkspore, you can replay lower levels while grouped with your friend, and instead of massively outgearing everything, one-shotting everything in sight, while your friend trundles along behind you bored to tears, your gear is scaled down to the lower level. This makes the content suddenly level appropriate (and actually quite challenging, typically) for you, allowing you and your friend to contribute equally. As far as people commenting that the storyline is a bit empty and lacking, or seems like a history lesson, I like that the story is not shoved in your face constantly. Each hero has a backstory that you can simply choose not to read if you don't care about it. Yes, the rest of the storyline is presented as a history lesson, but if you remember from the opening cutscene, you are told that you are newly awakened from cryogenic sleep, with a very high probability of memory loss. The story, as it is presented, is trying to bring you back up to date. This is done in tidy little chunks as cutscenes between each (new) level, and if you don't care about it, simply hit the escape key and it goes away. Yes, it's not a *massively* in-depth story, but if you are looking for something that lore-heavy, you should be looking for an MMO, not an ARPG.

Game play moves along at just the right pace, not hitting the anxiety-producing can't-quite-keep-up phase, but refrains from dragging itself out. There are randomly chosen objectives to complete, if you feel like it, for each level you enter. There are rewards for completing them, but you won't be handicapped by not doing them, either. If you complete the first four objectives, you will find you've unlocked a time objective--complete the level in under 10 minutes for a gold medal. That seems like a great time frame for letting you play a bit, stop if you feel like it, or continue on if you have more time. Darkspore presents the basics to you in a fluid manner, so you are immediately comfortable with how to play the game. You will have access to all of your abilities in a short amount of time, so it's not like other games where you learn to play your character one way, then suddenly at a later level, you are introduced to a new and completely game changing mechanic, requiring you to somewhat relearn how you are going to play that character. Instead, you have an endless ability to mix and match heroes to give access to different sets of abilities for each hero. Yes, you have a limited number of buttons you can mash at any given time, but depending on which heroes you chose to use together, the effects of mashing those buttons differs wildly. Lastly, don't let a dark opinion of EA cloud your expectations for Darkspore. This game is Maxis-driven, and they have the best support for this game I have *ever* encountered. If you have a question, problem, or feedback, post on the forum, and either a Dev or members of the community will answer you. Usually amazingly promptly, and with actual information instead of some placating blanket statement.

1. games(TM)
    Jul 3, 2011
    Just don't believe everything you read on the box. [Issue#110, p.130]
  2. CD-Action
    Jul 1, 2011
    If you treat yourself to the PvE campaign – especially in co-op mode – in small portions, it's a good recipe for a couple of relaxing game sessions. In the beginning at least, because over time watching the experience bar grow simply gets boring. [June 2011, p. 62]
  3. PC PowerPlay