Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX PC

• Publisher: Acclaim
  • Release Date: Dec 14, 2000
7.8

1. Apr 3, 2012
    What can I say? I've owned this game for at least five years, and the fact that I still play it says a lot. That being said, it definitely isn't perfect, and it shows it's age.

Positives: The game play is very well done. There's basically two modes, challenge mode and free mode. You can figure out what both modes contain. The tricks are very fun to pull off, even if you know most of them are not remotely possible. At the end of each session, there's a replay that you can watch. If you can put together a great looking run, watching that replay is a blast. The crash physics are way off, in a good way. Your body is a rag doll as soon as you leave the bike, so every single impossible movement you can think off will most likely happen. What really stands out is the other half of the physics, in which you can sometimes get your rider to bounce off the ground like a super ball. There's a train you can hit in the first level, and I've literally spent hours throwing myself at it to watch the results in the replay. There's also fun cheat codes, like one that makes your head spin around while riding your bike.

Negatives: It's an older game, and it sure looks it. It may have been impressive in it's time, but now it's just hard to look at some things. Don't get me wrong, most textures are done pretty well. It's just that some objects look oddly stretched a bit, most noticeably at the top of ramps. Also, the things that make it fun can also make it annoying. Challenge mode has a few challenges that seem to be entirely luck based, or hampered by the so-so controls. The rag doll can be a bit of a bother at times too, such as when the body randomly spasms. It can be funny, but when your already bothered by your inability to land a trick during a timed event, the extra time wasted with the spasms can really annoy you.

All in all, it's a recommended title to add to your collection. I know it's caused many hours of fun in my life, and this will always be considered one of my favorite games.

1. Other than the great graphics, the PC version has nothing extra to offer over its console counterparts, so I wouldn't recommend an upgrade if you already have it.
  2. I can’t remember the last time I spent so much time playing just a single game... Just ask my wife. We would be sitting at the dinner table and she would look over at me with that evil eye and say “You’re thinking of that @#!$% game again aren’t you?”
  3. Most importantly, the omission of a multiplayer option, present in the console version, is particularly disappointing.