5.8

1. Jun 16, 2013
    I appreciate the direction of Dead Space and having played all 3 in sequence its a great narrative piece and while this is an expensive DLC for the content it adds, its content you will not want to miss if you like the story aspects of Dead Space. Overall this series is fantastic and well developed. I am dinging it several points as the DLC should have been included in the main game as the final scene sort of like the final climax in Dead Space 2 where the final boss was NOT the final scene.

If you like story and want to get a feel for what Dead Space 4, if there is one, will be like, I suggest picking it up.
  2. Mar 20, 2013
    The game only last for around 1 to 1.5 hours, which is too short to deserve for such price. The so-called disturbing content is just some decoration made in repetitive environment from original DS3. I only find 2 new scenes which are not using the environment model from original DS3. For the game play, the enemies cheat even more than in DS3, since most of your enemies are just hallucinations, they often spawn right in front of or behind you instantly, and the camera angle just suck in narrow environment, causing annoyance and unexpected health loss. Moreover, the plot doesn't make too many sense, with all people suddenly going crazy, and Issac has a suit repaired already, and so have the disturbing content. The over-emphasis of hallucinations doesn't make the series return to original series, as it is not scary. The distortion of player vision, and the frequent switch from hallucination to reality, and vice versa, just cause too much annoyance, making the combat not smooth to carry out. Overall, the effort put into such DLC doesn't worth the price, I only find that the last 10 minutes game play of the DLC (i.e. from boss battle to the end) is fun. Expand
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Awakened is extremely short and not really scary. Surely there are cultists and their leader and nightmares, but none of it feels like it matters because deep down in your heart you know that anything that jumps at you will eat lead (or plasma) and die.
    Moreover imaginary enemies drop physical loot when they perish. Which makes the whole scare thing even more ridiculous.
    Did I mention
    it's short? Expand
  4. Mar 14, 2013
    This is what the main game should be like, tension, scare and hallucination, these are the things makes you feels like a dead space game. Although it is short, but it's a brilliant experience, I hope more DLC like this will be on the way.
  5. Mar 15, 2013
    Although the DLC reminded me of the original Dead Space, the credits literally lasted longer then the content, simply to promote a sequel. No where near worth 10 bucks.
  6. Mar 15, 2013
    DS3: Awakened has far too many absurd plot holes!! But still, it tastes like Dead Space and is pretty disturbing. Sadly its too short. The ending is a mix of feeling, good and bad ones.
  7. Jun 28, 2013
    Honestly this game's been getting a lot of terrible terrible reviews, and I understand why, it's turning into an action adventure.. But I tried out this DLC and still feel it's being given too much hate, actually this new content's being hated waaaay too much. This update was a step in the RIGHT direction! Mind you a short one. The playtime was, a few hours, but damn was it scary again.. This game hasn't scared me once since the first game, but this, this got me. The hallucinations are back baby! And so, SO much scarier! It really feels like a nightmare again, like the world's pinned against you! If you want this series to be scary again for you, try this DLC out. It'll help fund the series, and tell the gamemakers you want a real terror game! Expand
  8. Mar 13, 2013
    Very short, recycled environments, basically you pay 10 dollars to see the "real ending to the game" and enjoy another 1.5 hour set up for dead space 4 "DESTROY THE OTHER MOONS". Falls VERY short of the hype of being the most disturbing content in dead space up till now... in fact it is more like content you have already experienced repackaged into a DLC that should have been free if not just included in the game to begin with. The "most disturbed content yet" consists of alternate dimension little psychotic breaks which pale in comparison to anything which was creepy and/or twisted in Dead Space 2. This did not "bring the terror back" to Dead Space at all. The scene toward the end of Dead Space 2 where you aim and insert the tiny drill into Issac's eye is far more disturbing and twisted than the content of this DLC. Expand
  9. Mar 12, 2013
    While I did enjoy the DLC, be forewarned it is extremely short and not necessarily a value at the current price. You will finish this in under two hours, and most of the maps are rehashed. For example, a large part of the DLC takes place on a ship you've already explored in the main game.

As for the DLC returning to it's horror roots, that is a matter of perspective. In my opinion, the
    DLC didn't hit it's stride in fact, you can anticipate what will happen next. As for the visions Isaac has, it was more overdone than anything else, almost to the point of annoyance where it would break the mood. Basically, apart from the banter between the two characters (Carver and Isaac), the narrative is extremely weak.

But apart from the lack of value (compare to say the DLCs we got from the Fallout 3 and New Vegas for the same dollar value!) and my gripe about the narrative, I did enjoy ultimately enjoy the DLC because I am an Isaac fanboy.

If $10 means nothing to you and have a couple hours to spare and curious as to what the next steps are for Isaac and Carver, by all means, get this DLC. Otherwise, it brings nothing new to the table no new weapons, ammo, suits, or blueprints and has zero effect or bearing on the main game. Purchase accordingly.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Mar 15, 2013
    Want to see the actual ending to the adventures of Clark and Carver on Tau Volantis? That’ll be $9,99, please.