Dead Space PC

8.0

1. Mikep
    Jan 19, 2010
    Underwhelming. It started out with a lot of potential and slowly leveled out in mediocrity. The way the controls operate is different but highly functional. The angle at which the camera is set above the right shoulder makes it extremely difficult to accurately orient yourself behind objects and usually had me moving about a foot too far to the left. Now usually this isn't a problem, Underwhelming. It started out with a lot of potential and slowly leveled out in mediocrity. The way the controls operate is different but highly functional. The angle at which the camera is set above the right shoulder makes it extremely difficult to accurately orient yourself behind objects and usually had me moving about a foot too far to the left. Now usually this isn't a problem, but when that one foot is say...in front of a meteor shower that kills you instantly or in front of the exhaust from a spaceships main thrusters; it gets to be annoying reloading the game two or three times because the insight that maybe you need perspective to gauge distance effectively to not die didn't occur to the developers. The visuals are very good in this game, it offers some very unique and tense environments you'd be hard pressed to see recreated elsewhere; the Zero-G segments are very cool and very accurate as is the vacuum segments. The sound is stellar in this game, I bring this up next because the vacuum segments are almost completely soundless, you can only hear your own breathing and some of the vibrations from your weapons on the outside of the suit. the rest of the sound production is extremely well done; from the horror orchestration to the scratching of claws behind double thick bulkheads it'll test your surround sound very well. Unfortunately, the worst part of the game is probably the storyline; it consists of a reason to bring you to the "big scary space ship" and the rest is composed of what awful place you have to go to find a computer component to open the next door. Any character development is split between the two bookends on either side of the actual game. I actually forgot why the main character was in this situation by the time I got to the end because it's never mentioned again until practically before the credits roll...and I beat the game in slightly less than eight hours on medium. The one furiously aggravating part about this game is that you are continuously separated from catching the "bad guy" by various windows throughout the game, CONSTANTLY. You will exit a room you just fixed only to the have the door lock and the "bad guy" appear on the inside of the room destroying everything you just did and belittling you while he does it and you just have to play along, criminally annoying. Expand
  2. Koo
    Mar 16, 2012
    A good game overall, Dead Space is hampered by its clunky controls. When moving the character you play, he moves faster when looking along the horizontal (X) axis than the vertical (Y) axis. Also, you look around in a lurching or reeling way rather than smoothly as in other third person shooter (TPS) or first person shooters (FPS). If you're worried (as I was) that if you play this gameA good game overall, Dead Space is hampered by its clunky controls. When moving the character you play, he moves faster when looking along the horizontal (X) axis than the vertical (Y) axis. Also, you look around in a lurching or reeling way rather than smoothly as in other third person shooter (TPS) or first person shooters (FPS). If you're worried (as I was) that if you play this game you won't be able to sleep at night, put your fears to bed (pun intended - ha!). I would describe Dead Space as an atmospheric game, not a scary one (Amnesia: The Dark Descent, on the other hand, IS a scary game). While I like this game overall, I can't rate it better than a 7 due to the motion sickness I experience from the camera movements. The feeling of nausea it produces prevents me from rating the game higher than a 6. Try the demo. If you don't feel sick (literally) playing it, this game could be a 9 for you. For me, it's a 6. Expand
  3. Jul 5, 2011
    this game scared the **** out of me and I don't scare easily it really reminded my of the alien anomaly in the movie Thing. The story in this game is short though i still enjoyed it, Graphics are great, Weapons are nothing like I have ever seen, mechanics are simply and did i mention i almost crapped my pants playing this game, its really freaky really, don't play this game if you havethis game scared the **** out of me and I don't scare easily it really reminded my of the alien anomaly in the movie Thing. The story in this game is short though i still enjoyed it, Graphics are great, Weapons are nothing like I have ever seen, mechanics are simply and did i mention i almost crapped my pants playing this game, its really freaky really, don't play this game if you have heart conditions. Expand
  4. Aug 7, 2017
    First of all I have to comment on the KB+M controls which are just terrible by default, honestly unusable, luckily they can be mostly fixed with config tweaks or you can just use a gamepad which works fine out of the box.

The game is not so much scary as atmospheric and that's fine, although parts definitely were scary and there were a bunch of jump scares thrown in for good measure. It was just the right level of creepy for me, it kept me on my toes without giving me a heart attack.

Dead Space is a very linear game, the wrong way is often blocked and it's impossible to get lost with the breadcrumb system which points you in the right direction, this is a scripted experience above all else, and a good one at that. When playing on normal or above ammo is quite scarce and enemies are tough, often killing you in a few hits, however there is an easy difficulty which is very easy, you're basically the Terminator so if you just want to tag along for the ride then there's an option for you.

The story is interesting and told well, and unlike a lot of games it ends well too. The main character isn't voiced which hurts immersion IMO, this is often a developer choice, just not one I agree with. All the other NPCs you encounter are voiced very well though, no poor performances to speak of.

Overall it's a well made, story-driven experience with solid gameplay and mechanics that I definitely recommend. EA Access is currently £3.99/month and the entire trilogy is available to you, that's how I played them and you also get access to a bunch of other great games like Titanfall 2 so it's a no brainer if you wish to start the series.
  5. Aug 10, 2014
    Bought this from Steam Sale. I had no expectations really.

Bought this from Steam Sale. I had no expectations really.

At first I was very disappointed with the PC version. It was a horrible port with game breaking bugs; like **** up physics when your FPS is unlocked. Or the Vsync locking the FPS at just 30. I needed a 3rd party software to get the FPS stay at 60 just to make the game playable. That also fixed the issues with mouse, which alone were making the game unplayable.

Once I got actually started with the game I was hooked instantly. Every step felt dangerous and enemies couldn't be stopped with a single bullet to the head. Overall the game play was decent, but controls were a bit clunky. While I kinda dislike quick-time events and **** something could have been done about stomping enemies or punching them, it felt pretty random and frustrating at times.. the lack of control.

There were some puzzles in this game. Some them were fun, but challenging and some were just bad; simple, but with annoying mechanics. Overall they added some nice variation to the game.

The game looked decent for a 360 port...there were times though where I wished they would have allowed PC to have much higher shadow resolution for example, but it wasn't too annoying except in a couple of scenes.

I really liked the Ishimura as a location. It was dark and industrial. I didn't really like how scripted everything was though. There were times you see enemies lurking, but they're flagged as invulnerable. They also always come from the same spot with the same timing, so if you died you just get frustrated to repeat the same scripted stuff.

I'm not a huge lore-geek, but I thought the writing was of good quality. There were also tapes and notes from the NPCs to be found to add into that, for those who like to find more about the world.

With all the issues in the rushed PC version I can't really give it more than 7. It was still worth the 4€ or whatever it costed, but at 50€ this game would have been very disappointing.
  6. May 28, 2014
    I am not a big shooter fan but every now and then I like to take a detour and play a shooter when I don't want to use my brain. Note 1st that I only play the campaign so my review does not cover PvP. Dead Space is a good shooter although somewhat limited in design but then again almost every new shooter is in its first incarnation. I played the game on the PC and had no issues with theI am not a big shooter fan but every now and then I like to take a detour and play a shooter when I don't want to use my brain. Note 1st that I only play the campaign so my review does not cover PvP. Dead Space is a good shooter although somewhat limited in design but then again almost every new shooter is in its first incarnation. I played the game on the PC and had no issues with the install. I didnt even bother to update the game since it was working fine out of the box. Controls are intuitive except for the slow turn speed while aiming your gun. A few in game mouse adjustments and the problem was solved within acceptable tolerance. The only other issue I ran into is when you grab an item with telekinesis and run up to a wall with the item floating in front of you. This causes the camera to spin 90 to 180 degrees, and if you are in combat it can be disorienting. This however, was a very minor issue because once you realize that it only happens on wall collisions you simply stop running into walls... why you would run into a wall during combat is beyond my understanding but as long you stop doing that it is no longer an issue. I played the entire game without the camera spin being a problem after the 1st time I experienced and analyzed the issue. This problem is insanely over dramatized by reviewers here (grow up people).

The Good :: The game does a lot of basic FPS stuff well like area specific damage, dismemberment as a part of strategy rather than just aesthetics, very interesting weapons each with their own unique advantage and disadvantage, an actual inventory system (not used to seeing this in FPS and I like it), an upgrade system for your guns, armor and abilities (almost like an RPG lite), and decent graphics and sound.

The Bad :: Game design is good but its repetitive. Then again, shooters are basically all very repetitive and that is why it is not my favorite genre of games. You will quickly note that graphics are re-used in every chapter of the game and the enemy variety is actually fairly low with only about 6 different enemy types and a few bosses. Guns and abilities are also limited to only about 8 total (6 guns and two abilities) and although they are interesting, I would like to have seen even more but then again I am an RPG guy so anything less than 20 would probably be boring to me.

The So So :: The story is cheesy and has been done to death and back but again, this is coming from a RPG gamer who puts a lot more weight into story than others. The game is supposed to be a horror survival... I personally did not find it scary in the least. They do include a lot of sudden attacks that just surprise you and enemies are designed and animated in a way that makes them awkward (like a horror movie) but at no time was I scared of an enemy once I noticed it. In fact, I found myself running towards enemies fairly often especially the baby aliens. The only time I ran away from enemies is when the small swarming things attacked in large numbers and that is only because I couldnt shoot them fast enough. The game is not that scary. I remember being more on edge playing FEAR although even that was not really all that scary. Then again I think movies like The Grudge are comedies...

Overall a good game.
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    Well..."Dead Space" is a game that is just scary as hell; you can't expect what's coming next. Since the PC version has better resolution, it adds up to the scare-hype, which I didn't typically enjoy. But what was worse was the horrible controls and linear gameplay. During the whole time, my eyes were mainly focused on the keyboard rather than the game itself. The gameplay is also veryWell..."Dead Space" is a game that is just scary as hell; you can't expect what's coming next. Since the PC version has better resolution, it adds up to the scare-hype, which I didn't typically enjoy. But what was worse was the horrible controls and linear gameplay. During the whole time, my eyes were mainly focused on the keyboard rather than the game itself. The gameplay is also very linear; it is scarier than knott's scary farm but that can't cover up how sparse the options you have during the game. You want some thrills? By all means buy it, but after the price decreases. Expand
  8. Jan 4, 2011
    I gotta say, the atmosphere in this game is off the charts. The dialog is a little wooden, but It doesn't really get in the way. The game is VERY hard to control though, it feels less like I'm controlling a guy and more like I'm driving a tank. The mushy controls however are half the reason the game is so intense since it's so hard to keep a good sense of situational awareness.
  9. Oct 21, 2011
    A triumph of style and gimmicks over substance. There is not much going on here except for shooting monsters repeatedly. An overly generous person would call both the setting and the storyline minimal, that same person would call it predictable and sometimes a little bit scary. Having said that, some of the weapons are good, some of the gimmicks keep you interested and you do actually wantA triumph of style and gimmicks over substance. There is not much going on here except for shooting monsters repeatedly. An overly generous person would call both the setting and the storyline minimal, that same person would call it predictable and sometimes a little bit scary. Having said that, some of the weapons are good, some of the gimmicks keep you interested and you do actually want to escape the damn place. So I managed to finish it and just about got my money's worth. I cannot envisage a scenario whereby I'd ever play it again and would only recommend it to horror maniacs who have no more than £10 to spare and nothing better to do. Expand
  10. May 8, 2011
    This game is neither good nor is it bad. It has some fun elements but allot of flaws. For being a Survival Horror TPS game it's not hard to survive (even on the hardest difficulty) and it's far from a Horror. Today's standard of horror is doom 3 and that is why all horror game suck in that matter. When playing through it I constantly ran and never got surprised since a game with brightThis game is neither good nor is it bad. It has some fun elements but allot of flaws. For being a Survival Horror TPS game it's not hard to survive (even on the hardest difficulty) and it's far from a Horror. Today's standard of horror is doom 3 and that is why all horror game suck in that matter. When playing through it I constantly ran and never got surprised since a game with bright lighted rooms and a BFG and monsters who can't take **** for beeting kinda takes away all horror. See it like this, I would be scared ****less if I was put in a cage with a starving lion without any means of defence. But if you put me in the same cage, put me in a Metal armor suit, hand me a mini-gun and heavily sedate the lion it's suddenly not scary anymore.... Dead space is the later example. The transition from Console to PC when it comes to controls are HORRID. Worst mouse movement I have ever encountered in a TPS game, apart from that it's a rather nice game in it's own way. I would not say it's a waste playing it. But borrow it from a friend of buy it cheap cause anything more then 5-10 $ and it's a bad deal. Expand
  11. Jan 20, 2012
    I enjoyed this game but not all the gore - too much graphic violence. There were no nice rest periods much to contrast with sudden terror and so wasn't actually as scary as it could have been. Given almost constant terror and you get almost used to it...not as good as System Shock 2 which it copied many ideas from, from the level names, to limited ammo, sci abilities, purchase booths,I enjoyed this game but not all the gore - too much graphic violence. There were no nice rest periods much to contrast with sudden terror and so wasn't actually as scary as it could have been. Given almost constant terror and you get almost used to it...not as good as System Shock 2 which it copied many ideas from, from the level names, to limited ammo, sci abilities, purchase booths, weapon slots and upgrade choices etc etc. They should have had more normal looking areas to contrast with other places covered with blood and guts. Come on, we are not all bloodthirsty animals here..bit over the top for violence but nonetheless well designed and still entertaining. The biggest flaw I felt was the total linear gameplay when given a choice of open tasks and ability to travel freely around levels would have been far better. That bird crumb direction indicator made it too easy actually and should have been some level of respawning to keep it interesting - ie like System Shock 2. Also I didnt appreciate the crap controls with PC on the keyboard - really sucked but with saying all that was worth 75% in my mind. If you dont like too much violence or gore then give it a miss. Expand
  12. Mar 31, 2014
    Let’s get straight to the point, Dead Space is NOT a good PC port. It suffers from all the symptoms: Low rez textures, Low FOV, frame cap at 30 fps (with v-sync on) and terrible….TERRIBLE controls.
    The Mouse and keyboard controls are half broken: The mouse in particular, if you enable v-sync the mouse will become extremely unresponsive and laggy. However, If you disable v-sync, and crank up the mouse sensitivity and mouse DPI to the max, you might end up with half usable controls, but the caveat is, a bit of screen tearing. But even if you do that, the mouse will still behave in a sluggish manner, especially when switching to aim mode.
    The keyboard controls aren’t better also, sometimes the game will dismiss key inputs for no apparent reason, and the keymaping is also badly conceived.
    In resume, if you don’t have a gamepad, prepare to die… a lot, especially on the Boss fights, or when the game decides to throw hordes of necromorfs, at you, from all sides!
    Don’t get me wrong, this game is NOT difficult, not even on hard mode, what makes it difficult is the terrible controls.
    The other thing about this game is that it’s not a real survival/horror game, It tries to, really hard actually, but the problem is, survival horror is not about jump scares, but about building tension, and playing with your expectation. And this game rarely does that successfully; it overuses jumps scares too much, it’s too predictable at times and a bit cheesy in the gore department, and in the survival department, let’s just say you will rarely die from lack of ammo or med packs.
    However, Visceral did one thing really well: the sound design.
    The Story, is a Cross between Aliens and Resident Evil, in other words, a System Shock clone but without SHODAN :-(. The Story is not bad, but it’s a bit too cliché for my taste.
    The game is also a bit buggy, for example if you play on hard mode and reload a save by pressing continue on the main menu, the game will reset the difficulty to medium.
    So, is it a bad game? In my opinion, If you approach it like an Action/Horror third person shooter game, HELL NO, just don’t play it with mouse and keyboard.
  13. ChrisS
    Mar 21, 2009
    This game has potential, but i hate EA for 2 things. Stupid DRM (which dead space has) and obvious console ports (which dead space is) It's stupid things like save points are an in-game object (like typewriters in resident evil), simplified inventory systems and unintuitive commands to control things, like you have to lift your hand off the mouse and use the arrow keys (not wsad) to This game has potential, but i hate EA for 2 things. Stupid DRM (which dead space has) and obvious console ports (which dead space is) It's stupid things like save points are an in-game object (like typewriters in resident evil), simplified inventory systems and unintuitive commands to control things, like you have to lift your hand off the mouse and use the arrow keys (not wsad) to select items from the inventory (??? DUMB). Things like that just piss me off WHEN THE MOUSE IS THERE. Other severe gameplay problems i encountered are camera angles are not adjustable, so viewing area is very poor, it may be because im playing on a 4:3 screen and its designed for 16:10, and mouse sensitivity is very frustrating, the sensitivity changes in game as in if you are close up looking at a wall, it will become very unsensitive ie you have to lift and move the mouse over at least once, whereas once you move away from the wall it becomes quite sensitive (roughly how i like it) and then in the menus it is way too sensitive. this is on full sensitivity, it is basically not sensitive enough, how i like it and too sensitive all in one. I play computer games because for a long time a lot of the best games wouldn't work on a console, not necessarily because of hardware limitations, but also because keyboard and mouse is hard to beat. Thats been blurred these days and not because consoles are getting better, but rather publishers want omniplatform releases so i think the games are getting dumbed down to work on consoles and unfortunately PC gets the short end because of that. Otherwise the game is good because it follows the tried and true plot formula seen in so many other successful games such as bioshock and system shock 2, of which it almost appears to be system shock 2 in a new 3d engine, its that similar. The graphics are very good. Basically if you can get over the DRM first and then the ported aspects of the game, its maybe worth playing if you havn't got some other well respected computer rpg's. So basically i gave it 5 because its worth playing, but it doesn't stand out as original, intuitive controls. Expand
  14. JoeK.
    Apr 8, 2010
    GREAT GAME!
  15. NiclasG.
    Nov 16, 2008
    The game has a severe lack of atmosphere. I really enjoyed the first two to three hours of Dead Space but after that, the game hardly came up with something new. Even the audiologs - unlike in System Shock 2 - neither added something to the atmosphere nor explained what happened exactly on that Spaceship. In fact, the "Animated Comics" have more atmosphere than the game itself. There are The game has a severe lack of atmosphere. I really enjoyed the first two to three hours of Dead Space but after that, the game hardly came up with something new. Even the audiologs - unlike in System Shock 2 - neither added something to the atmosphere nor explained what happened exactly on that Spaceship. In fact, the "Animated Comics" have more atmosphere than the game itself. There are a few nice moments throughout the game but the most time it's more like "Isaac do this", "Isaac fetch that", "Isaac rescue our butt.". The game has some - quite good - startling moments but it isn't scary at all. And even this startling moments stop to be startling, after they happen to you the third time. You are just running from A to B, following that blue Line which shows you where to go and kill stuff along the way and that's it. The game can be described as "What comes out, when you put 'Resident Evil' and 'System Shock 2' in a mixer while watching John Carpenters' 'The Thing'... without being scary and having much less story." Oh yeah, and with its 10 hours of gameplay it's quite short in my opinion. Expand
  16. Karl
    Nov 7, 2008
    Nice art, its all very cliche though. I would give this game a better rateing but it has terrible controls, The mouse, everthing actually, lags behind delaying your actions half a second. And the 3rd person camera angle combined with the field of view and offset pivot is nauseating. I would recommend you play a demo first, except that there doesnt seem to be one. So perhaps skip it for Nice art, its all very cliche though. I would give this game a better rateing but it has terrible controls, The mouse, everthing actually, lags behind delaying your actions half a second. And the 3rd person camera angle combined with the field of view and offset pivot is nauseating. I would recommend you play a demo first, except that there doesnt seem to be one. So perhaps skip it for now, maybe pick it up when its in the second hand bin. Expand
  17. Terrman
    Oct 23, 2008
    Great ingredients in an otherwise burned cake. Imaginative story, environment, and foes, but an overly complicated control system and a 3rd person perspective that made me motion sick. To bad, it had great promise.
  18. judas
    Oct 26, 2008
    A good, but not great, game hampered by the usual half-arsed conversion. If I wanted a 'console controls' feel I'd buy a console. Mouse + keyboard are the de-facto standard for PC games and to release the game with such a poor control implementation just shows the contempt with which PC gamers are viewed by the likes of EA. Story-wise I was expecting better - it's A good, but not great, game hampered by the usual half-arsed conversion. If I wanted a 'console controls' feel I'd buy a console. Mouse + keyboard are the de-facto standard for PC games and to release the game with such a poor control implementation just shows the contempt with which PC gamers are viewed by the likes of EA. Story-wise I was expecting better - it's little more than a mish-mash of standard sf/horror tropes. Expand
  19. PatrickG
    Dec 25, 2009
    It is scary so that is a plus. The graphics are good. Terrible controls of a pure console port. VERY repetitive gameplay. Overall not something I would recommend unless you have played EVERYTHING else and can get this for $10 or less. An entirely forgettable game.
  20. ChristopherW
    Oct 25, 2009
    Nice graphics. Very clean looking. I like idea of no HUD and how the character responds to the environment, but at least make the view better. The character should have been centered in the screen so the player can see what attacks from either side. It's the equivalent of playing with one eye closed. Some people like that RE4 view,(which is crazy to me) so there should be a view like Nice graphics. Very clean looking. I like idea of no HUD and how the character responds to the environment, but at least make the view better. The character should have been centered in the screen so the player can see what attacks from either side. It's the equivalent of playing with one eye closed. Some people like that RE4 view,(which is crazy to me) so there should be a view like that only when you aim down the sights of the gun. Controls were bad as well. Couldn't move and look around too well. Camera and control ruined a potentially awesome game. Expand
  21. RichardDenton
    Aug 15, 2009
    Console damaged. Control configuration on the PC is too limited. No one seem to have notice that there are people who use the left hand for the mouse. Save points. I'm now bored to run trough some ventilation system for the n'th time only to be eaten by little creeps in the end. Aim mode. *sigh*. Ok. The game is scary, but in a DOOM3 kind of way.
  22. Mar 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It'd been awhile since I'd re-visited the Ishimura and its (sadly) mostly dead crew. We landed, their were spooky scripted things and then the game lurched into a slow pattern of repeated onslaughts, puzzles, and a fairly in-cohesive, but functional storyline. You see, old Isaac our main character, is a bit of a fifth wheel on board this scifi-search'n'rescue-aliens-ripoff. In fact I was starting to think he was made as a joke by the development team as he's always running about killing hoards of zombie alien converted crew members, or repairing things that will conveniently only help you (or your mystery guests) for very short periods of time before possibly breaking again. Meanwhile I assume the folks that came with him are up telling ghost stories and drinking hot cocoa in a control room somewhere. Occasionally monitoring you on the cameras aboard the ship to check to see if you're actually still alive and continuing to fix things. Isaac's buddies are rather shifty from the get-go and its handled quite poorly throughout and rather disappointingly around the last hour or so of the game. Isaac's emotional love-interest is on board supposedly and is meant to tug at the heart strings of players, but even when most people didn't care about her existence. It provides very little pull for players and when we have no real connection to the world Isaac lives in, a frankly terrifying futuristic nightmare space land full of massive ships that punch entire holes into planets, it makes it even harder to care about what we're actually doing on this poorly designed and rather cramped ship. Of course something has gone wrong, yet they only send one engineer, a black guy and an incredibly suspicious and seemingly useless woman to go and check out this massive ship? Ridiculous plot aside, their is a lot missing from our adventure throughout the ship. Its probably actual suspense, tension or build up and payoff, since the only horrifying thing about the game is that you'll never run out of ammunition. It would seem the entire team forgot to make the game "actually" scary as well. Featuring jump scares such as: arrival in seemingly empty room with a few items inside or a particularly useful switch needed to progress, upon entry or press of said control panel, "ambush by aliens." It started to become irksome, and you were already buried in ammunition, credits, armor, and guns that could blow away just about any threat. Of course their are two portions of the game that are absolutely loathsome and almost stopped my replay when I remembered them. "The asteroid shoot out." Their is a portion that is so unintentionally difficult early on that almost makes me want to shut off the game and go find a nice woman to marry. I have no idea why its so difficult, only that it has something to do with patterns of rocks coming your way, the very little damage you can take before you lose, and the difficulty in actually aiming at the damn things. Of course who could forget the death sequences? I mean wow, just utterly disgusting and time consuming. "I get it. I died." I like how a game like Dead Space actually rubs it into your face when you die at any point. Obviously someone with actual humor must have been able to sneak this idea in. I'm sure no other game has ever done this ever. Dead Space is the culmination of a lot of things, ideas, generic science fiction writing, and dialogue as well. It is not original in many ways at all, save for the fact that it "functions" and at the end of the day that's what a lot of people liked about it. Was it scary? No. Was it challenging? Not particularly. Were the characters memorable? Nope. What about the plot was it worth holding out till the end of the game? If I was expecting EA to completely ruin an installment I would've waited for a few more games, which I did, and they did end up ruining the entire franchise incidentally. The plot is open and shut at the end of the first game. It hardly even needed a sequel, but one was made anyway. Their are far better games out there in the same vein as Dead Space. Like Resident Evil 4 and that was pretty good. Go play that again if you're bored. Expand
  23. Sep 8, 2012
    Horrible port. When you start up the game you are immidiately greeted by a clunky main menu that is clearly not designed with PC players in mind. The controls and camera are just awful and the graphics are very average. The saving grace of this title is its superb story and unique gameplay elements. Dismembering enemies in order to kill them is a very fresh experience and the story kept meHorrible port. When you start up the game you are immidiately greeted by a clunky main menu that is clearly not designed with PC players in mind. The controls and camera are just awful and the graphics are very average. The saving grace of this title is its superb story and unique gameplay elements. Dismembering enemies in order to kill them is a very fresh experience and the story kept me wanting to play to find out what happened next. Overall it's not very scary and the port job is quite bad, but if you're a fan of video game stories, then you should take a look at this game. Expand
  24. May 9, 2012
    For me, although I got used to the controls (they are bad, I could not even change bindings), for me the more glaring problem is the tediousness in the middle section of the game as you go over the same route (or very very similar route) again and again after solving one plot objective, only to be told, oh no, now blah blah is broken so go back and fix that. It is redeemed by goodFor me, although I got used to the controls (they are bad, I could not even change bindings), for me the more glaring problem is the tediousness in the middle section of the game as you go over the same route (or very very similar route) again and again after solving one plot objective, only to be told, oh no, now blah blah is broken so go back and fix that. It is redeemed by good graphics, nice feel, and I quite liked the end as well, so the story at the top level holds up well, just the detailed stories as objectives does not. Buy it for $10 or less, it's worth it for about 10 hours of play, similar to the first DOOM3 and RE games. Was enjoyable enough for me to want to play DS2 at any rate. Expand
  25. Oct 12, 2012
    Bad camera,environment and the game isn't scary at all,unless for a couple of scene where monster pop out from wall. only few models of weapon, you can modify them at the shop but it only increases dps. good thing is introduction with the cinematic,story and the last level; also boss fight is too easy.
  26. Dec 11, 2012
    Plays out like Resident Evil 4 in space but with more focus on horror and less QTEs. Scarce ammo, fantastic atmosphere from the amazing sound design & environmental effects, and the isolation & vastness of space fuel this modern survival horror adventure. The most impressive immersion element for me was how they handled the "HUD"; instead of on-screen indicators, your health bar and energyPlays out like Resident Evil 4 in space but with more focus on horror and less QTEs. Scarce ammo, fantastic atmosphere from the amazing sound design & environmental effects, and the isolation & vastness of space fuel this modern survival horror adventure. The most impressive immersion element for me was how they handled the "HUD"; instead of on-screen indicators, your health bar and energy are on your back with ammo on your gun. The only problems with it are port issues (you need to disable v-sync to use a mouse properly), the funneled levels, and a general lack of difficulty. Expand
  27. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Dead frustrating

Dead frustrating

Okay, let’s get the bad out of the way first. The controls for the PC version of this otherwise good game are the worst I have ever encountered. I won’t go into detail but they’re so awkward they almost spoiled the game for me. Almost. (There are also some truly annoying problems with camera and viewpoint angles, but don’t get me started on that!) But what about the good? DEAD SPACE succeeds, despite the aforementioned problems, mainly because it oozes atmosphere. This is a very claustrophobic game that sucks you in and really does induce anxiety. You will jump many times, trust me. The story is okay, within the usual limitations of such games, the voice acting is uniformly convincing, and the graphics are good but not outstanding. Where this game excels is in the way it draws you in; immerses you in it’s dark atmosphere. This is a game that makes your palms sweat, which is exactly what it’s supposed to do.
  28. Nov 5, 2013
    Did you enjoy the System Shock series? Were you upset because they never continued it due to EA owning the rights to the series? Well fret not they finally did something with it-oh I just stepped in what I believe is dog shi-nope, just a complete rip-off of the System Shock series!

However, as disappointed a I was with this waste of time, I'll give it a nice ugly score of 5 (just because I only believe in three grades, those being A, C, and F, but I'll use a 5 to substitute a 70-79 score on a 100-point scale) because it was playable and although (some) of the employees from Visceral games seems to think they discovered atmosphere and immersion techniques they are comparable to a teenager discovering internet porn for the first time and going on to brag about it-they ripped off a good game and with that said, I found the pacing to be adequate at best. But its not worth its' full retail price. Feel free to skip this game if you see it during the next sale (or on Origin, IF Origin has it and IF Origin ever has sales), you won't miss out on anything but a 6-to-8-hour story campaign with unlovable characters, decent pacing, and a complete 3rd-person rip-off of System Shock/Doom.

Buuuuut,if all you care about is "graphix and gunZ!!!11!one!", break a leg.
  29. Jan 5, 2014
    Beware: this is a great game but it is a bare bones PC port, the graphics are barley improved over the Xbox 360 version and is only playable with a controller. This is a solid third person action-horror game that has its own unique gameplay features that are memorable and fun. If you enjoyed Resident Evil 4 you will most definitely love this and I can give you a definite recommendation ifBeware: this is a great game but it is a bare bones PC port, the graphics are barley improved over the Xbox 360 version and is only playable with a controller. This is a solid third person action-horror game that has its own unique gameplay features that are memorable and fun. If you enjoyed Resident Evil 4 you will most definitely love this and I can give you a definite recommendation if so and that is the best comparison I can draw. This isn't really a survival horror game but it certainly has the atmosphere and enemies of one. If you like third person shooters this is a unique one that is worth your interest. I played this game and its sequel from beginning to end and after completion I was ready to go back through it again on a harder difficulty. If you are concerned that this may be too hard for you don't be it has a decent set of difficulty modes and checkpoint system so will be able to get into it and enjoy it all the way through. However the checkpoint system is also a complaint for me on the harder settings as you never really feel punished for failure which is what a good horror game does.
    It's rare that I start and do not stop playing a game and this was one of them, if you think this game may be for you go for it, it is cheaply available by now and will not disappoint.
  30. ArshadS
    Dec 11, 2009
    Scary at first since you will learn what to expect later on during the game. The game is way too short. Would be worth buying it on budget.
  31. May 28, 2011
    Your player move like Hulk Hogan, but also reminds me of the Jason from Friday the 13th. Chaos Legion theme alike. No leaning left or right, no crouching & jumping. 6 to 8 weapons to choose from. No military grenades, nothing like the game F.E.A.R. or Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Almost like half RPG, FPS & arcade like, no great war sim here. Far more enhanced inventory & map systems than theYour player move like Hulk Hogan, but also reminds me of the Jason from Friday the 13th. Chaos Legion theme alike. No leaning left or right, no crouching & jumping. 6 to 8 weapons to choose from. No military grenades, nothing like the game F.E.A.R. or Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Almost like half RPG, FPS & arcade like, no great war sim here. Far more enhanced inventory & map systems than the Resident Evil games, and it could buy and sells things with the ATM sized store. A bit scary but not too scary. It's the limited view angles close up to the back of the player stressed me or what has scared the hell out of other players, but once I learnt how to turning side to side in the door to get a pre-peek in the next room, it's no more stress, all I've to do is to sprint through the room to the next door & quickly looked back, should never stay too close to a wall, 'cos that limited even more viewing angles. Either the free-look speed is too fast or the gun's aim-look is too slow, either way I can't have both, I tried them with 2 mouse, 1 of them proved that the max look speed is about 50% too slow, as the other mouse is a real fast one & that make the look speed too fast and the shooting view just right. Pick-uppable inventory items on the ground has pop-up signs too big & too tall, blocking shooting-views from time to time when I stands near them, as most of them are near the walls. I wished the signs were made shorter and small just enough to tell me where the pick-uppable items are. The multiple items all in one place should be shown with small icons lining up the top of the HUD/screen like Windows' taskbar, each showing number of 1 to 9 & small icons, so to choose which item to pick-up it's to press the hot keys of like Shift + 1, they won't do that because this game originated from a console, & TV screens are too old & poor reso for smaller icons shown clearly on top of the screen. It's not worth the PC port as they don't want to put any more works into it. This game is rather short, replaying it is unlikely for me. The graphic is very good for a console game. I think they should be making a Windows than a game as they've put too much worked into the inventory and many extra capabilities of the play in the place where there should be leaning left/right, crouch and jump. Well, if you've played BF2, then you should know how much "MS Work" they've done for a game. Expand
  32. Mar 26, 2015
    The controls and camera views in this game are just sloppy and slow. The rooms are dark and disorienting. The mission goals are ill defined and you just slog through to new areas. "Wall thingies" light up on the walls and doors and its hard to tell what does what. You start out in the suit, so its hard to tell who you really are. Basically, you stumble around and monsters come from theThe controls and camera views in this game are just sloppy and slow. The rooms are dark and disorienting. The mission goals are ill defined and you just slog through to new areas. "Wall thingies" light up on the walls and doors and its hard to tell what does what. You start out in the suit, so its hard to tell who you really are. Basically, you stumble around and monsters come from the side, where its difficult to sway the camera around and you get attacked. If you are lucky enough to have stumbled into the right room and touch the right wall thing the game seems to advance. There is no real skill involved to play this game. Its not as good as RE4 or RE5. The graphics are impressive I guess, but the levels and controls are bad. This is not a classic at all. I'm willing to bet this series will die out eventually. Expand
  33. May 12, 2012
    I'd start off by saying that Dead Space is nowhere near as scary as Penumbra or Amnesia, and neither is it as good of a third-person shooter as the likes of Mass Effect 2, but it's a pretty fun game nevertheless. The game takes place in outer space, on a derelict spaceship, where savage monsters have overrun it completely. The game definitely has some unexpected moments popping up everyI'd start off by saying that Dead Space is nowhere near as scary as Penumbra or Amnesia, and neither is it as good of a third-person shooter as the likes of Mass Effect 2, but it's a pretty fun game nevertheless. The game takes place in outer space, on a derelict spaceship, where savage monsters have overrun it completely. The game definitely has some unexpected moments popping up every now and again and there is an intense atmosphere present, but I won't say that the game is over the top terrifying or anything. In fact it feels more like an action shooter than a horror game. Perhaps the thing that I liked the most about Dead Space is its very unique weapons which you use to kill the monsters with, weapons such as the Line Gun, that shoots a thin slice of energy to cut monsters' limbs off; the Ripper, that brings out a rapidly spinning saw disk to propel through anyone who comes too close; the Force Gun, that shoots a powerful close-ranged shockwave that knocks everything out of its way, and some others. The game also utilises some RPG elements, in that you get to pick up special power nodes throughout the missions and then you get to use the futuristic work bench to use these nodes to make your weapons and armor suit stronger. So I'd say these are the major strengths of the game - unique guns, some RPG elements, intense atmosphere. There is a bit of a story as well, but it sort of always stays on the background. Lastly I'll just mention that I came across two in-game bugs which forced me to have to reload from a previous save point, and that was only in a single playthrough and was sort of annoying. And another slightly annoying thing was that some of the puzzles were a bit too bland. From what I've heard, Dead Space 2 is supposed to be better, so I hope they've fixed some of this game's shortcomings. Expand
  34. Jul 25, 2012
    I remember once saying that Amnesia The Dark Descent is probably the scariest horror game ever made; although I do admit that I hadn't actually played any other horror game before. Unfortunately for Dead Space fans, this game hasn't changed my mind. The game takes place in space and follows yet another emotion-less mute Issac Clarke. On a positive note, the game is very well put togetherI remember once saying that Amnesia The Dark Descent is probably the scariest horror game ever made; although I do admit that I hadn't actually played any other horror game before. Unfortunately for Dead Space fans, this game hasn't changed my mind. The game takes place in space and follows yet another emotion-less mute Issac Clarke. On a positive note, the game is very well put together and I'm sure gore-hounds will probably love the frequent dismemberment and violence. The combat is quite satisfying and the upgrade system feels fluid. However, being a console port, Dead Space is not well-optimised for the mouse & keyboard, with a weirdly floaty mouse and disjointed sensitivity. The biggest problem I have with Dead Space though, besides the controls, is that it's not even that scary: gory yes, plenty of it, but only the first 10 minutes were genuinely terrifying for me. Once you get your mittens on the weapons though, the game just becomes a series of action sequences with occasional padding and tedious repetition. The game just lacks any form of subtlety; the monsters will eagerly display themselves at every opportunity, bringing an orchestral jump every time they appear. Even after a glitch making the difficulty to jump from Easy (don't judge me) to Medium, the weapons are quite overpowered and the levels start to stretch themselves. So in conclusion, Dead Space is a Survival Horror game that slipped up over the whole horror aspect, so it's essentially just a survival action game. Just to be clear though, Dead Space is not a bad game at all; it looks great, sounds great and is still quite entertaining. A popcorn game I'd say, if you're looking for proper survival horror then Google "Slender"; if that doesn't scare you, nothing will. Expand
  35. Dec 1, 2011
    Bought this on special from Steam, the graphics are really good, and the atmosphere and immersion are unreal, but unfortunately the otherwise decent gameplay is let let down by awkward controls as a result of a fairly average console port.

My other major gripe is the game mechanic of using the same resource for upgrades as you use for health and ammo, since every time you play out an engagement less than perfectly it pretty much gimps your character for the future, and with the clunky controls this happens quite a bit. Add to this the fact that the savepoints are fairly far apart and it can make for a very frustrating experience. I'm just over halfway through it and the story seems very cliché and unoriginal so far. If you've already played through any of the Doom or Half Life series (or a dozen other games for that matter) there's nothing really new or interesting that this offers story wise.

If you see this on special for XBOX or PS3 it might be worth a look at but I wouldn't recommend it for PC.
  36. Jan 7, 2012
    At first I hated it, but then I read on some forums to disable V-sync. Wow, that made a massive difference. Goodbye mouse lag. Overall was a fun game. Was satisfied with the length of it. The story was extremely linear and predictable. I didnt find it scary either. It was mostly just the music blaring when stuffed popped out. No real terror like Silent Hill or Amnesia. I really enjoyed theAt first I hated it, but then I read on some forums to disable V-sync. Wow, that made a massive difference. Goodbye mouse lag. Overall was a fun game. Was satisfied with the length of it. The story was extremely linear and predictable. I didnt find it scary either. It was mostly just the music blaring when stuffed popped out. No real terror like Silent Hill or Amnesia. I really enjoyed the weapons. I would have liked Isaac, the main dude, to have a bit more of a character. He didnt really talk...like....ever. Overall: weak story, not scary, slightly clunky controls, awesome weapons and action, good graphics. Overall, above average, but not amazing. Oh, and would it have killed them to put in a quick turn ability! I hope Im not just a noob and never figured out how to do it. Expand
  37. Mar 4, 2014
    I can understand that the purpose of the 3rd person view is to make the game scarier. But to me it's a bad design decision because it badly affects the controls / vision and spoiles my whole experience of the game. That would be my number one problem with the game. Monsters are really scary and creepy. If you like scare jumps games you might like this one.
  38. May 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'This is not the best FPS horror game ever, but it does have nice atmosphere, weapons and shooting model and graphics. I probably won't forget the moment, when the first corpse surprisingly jumped at me. Sadly enough the scary moments get stereotypical and soon enough you will find yourself expecting most of them before they actually happen. Still, overall feeling of the game is nice and I had a pleasure playing it, which doesn't happen too often lately, at least not with new production.

Just a note for people, who didn't play yet. You can actually destroy the green boxes on the ground, I have added new level of difficulty to my game by not knowing that leaving me short on ammo most of the game. I found it out pretty close to the end of game when I accidentally shot into one of those. =)
  39. May 28, 2014
    The game itself has a good storyline, but is all in all badly executed.
    Pro:
    + Good and interesting storyline + Interesting upgrade system Cons: - Game is not dreading (like e.g. Outlast or Amnesia: The Dark Descent) and feeds off jumpscares entirely - Very linear and no options to explore - Save stations instead of "save wherever you want" - Clumsy controls - Third-person view
    The game itself has a good storyline, but is all in all badly executed.
    Pro:
    + Good and interesting storyline
    + Interesting upgrade system

Cons:
    - Very linear and no options to explore
    - Save stations instead of "save wherever you want"
    - Clumsy controls
    - Third-person view is hindering instead of helpful

Aside from that, the technical execution is a joke. My rig can run Crysis 3 on max settings, but starts choking on this thing as soon as lights start flashing. Come on!
    The bad controls are especially gamebreaking. It was impossible to play with mouse and keyboard, as the sensitivity is so extremely low, you can barely aim at an enemy. To be fair, it feels fairly playable with a gamepad, but still needs vast improvement.

The clumsy controls really throw you out of the "feeling" of the game and you never really get into that scary mood like you may know from other horror titles like mentioned above. In addition, the whole game seemed to be more focused on being grotesque and "bloody" (e.g. baby aliens with tentacles cutting peoples heads off), than to induce a feeling of insecurity and dread. All in all is the scare-factor of Dead Space comparable to the "The Walking Dead"-game series.

My recommendation: Play this game if you plan on playing the rest of the series (which are hopefully better), otherwise go for Outlast or Amnesia
  40. Dec 10, 2014
    The game itself is fantastic. Excellent sf horror story, great atmosphere, interesting universe. The only thing that really bothers me and brings the game down are controls. If you have a gamepad plugged in the game will automatically assume you are using it and show gamepad icons even if you use K&M. That said if you use K&M the controls are awkward and not very intuitive. If you can getThe game itself is fantastic. Excellent sf horror story, great atmosphere, interesting universe. The only thing that really bothers me and brings the game down are controls. If you have a gamepad plugged in the game will automatically assume you are using it and show gamepad icons even if you use K&M. That said if you use K&M the controls are awkward and not very intuitive. If you can get past that the game is as I said fantastic. Expand
  41. Jun 28, 2014
    Can't believe how much love this game gets. Controls are phenomenally bad, even with the well-known vsync and other fixes. It's just such a chore to play with such awful controls. I played it for an hour, tried all the fixes, uninstalled. Too many good games to play rather than fight with this one.
  42. Sep 21, 2013
    Ok, so. Let's start from the beginning. This game is AMAZING. The BEST game EVER! Oh my gosh this gun is SO cool. Then you get to the near-end. I've seen this bloody enemy for fiftieth time! Can't I get a break? Nope. Your dead. Trying to skip 30 second overly gory death scenes (which you can't). Now start the WHOLE sequence again. This is the first Dead Space in the nut shell.
  43. Apr 6, 2014
    It's a pretty good game. Why'd I give it a 7? If you're like me, then i guess you like games that center your character, or have a feature here there's a quick turn. Through out the WHOLE game I struggled with trying to see the enemy. And in the elevators? That was absolutely hell trying to just LOOK OUT THE DOOR.
  44. Jun 24, 2015
    Would give it an 8 or 9, except like most games that are ported, the graphics take a hit for the worse, no matter your setup. And never use a keyboard to play them. Lets be honest console games just don't port well, unless they had a huge makeover.
  45. Jun 10, 2014
    Interesante propuesta de Hub, con la vida a la espalda de tu personaje, además la atmósfera es muy interesante y los personajes también. Lo malo es que la jugabilidad llega a ser un poco repetitiva y bastante correcalles, pero las armas son también una genialidad. Para jugar prestado o comprar en grandes rebajas.
  46. Jul 3, 2014
    Pretty good game that screams bad console port. The controls for this game are really bad as many of the reviews here indicate. The issue is that the developers mapped analog stick controls for pc play so when you are moving your mouse it's like using a poorly optimized analog stick. Precise movements are impossible with the mouse. A solution to this is disabling v-sync in game and forcingPretty good game that screams bad console port. The controls for this game are really bad as many of the reviews here indicate. The issue is that the developers mapped analog stick controls for pc play so when you are moving your mouse it's like using a poorly optimized analog stick. Precise movements are impossible with the mouse. A solution to this is disabling v-sync in game and forcing it via your graphics card and jacking up mouse sensitivity. I don't know how effective this is because I gave up on the mouse and decided to use a gamepad. Anyway, with a controller this game functions fine. I recommend anyone who gets this game for the PC to first consider using a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. Honestly, using the mouse ruined the experience I had in the earlier chapters.

Now for the game itself. It's pretty good with an interesting story. You play an engineer named Isaac who is trying to escape an infested ship called Ishimura. The atmosphere of the game is great. It's the best aspect of the game. Everything from the music, sound effects, and setting creates this dark and isolated atmosphere. While the game isn't necessarily piss your pants scary it does create some very tense moments. I think people need to keep this in mind before playing the game. Highly recommend if you are into these types of games. 7.5/10
  47. Jul 9, 2014
    I really dont understand why critics like this game so much, its not that good. Controls are awkward until you dont get used to it, shooting is alright but what I really hate is that Isac is moving like a slug when aiming! Storyline is alright, linear, and the graphics are nice. Killing those thins is allot of fun, but the game is not scary for a horror game, its predictable, oh and IfI really dont understand why critics like this game so much, its not that good. Controls are awkward until you dont get used to it, shooting is alright but what I really hate is that Isac is moving like a slug when aiming! Storyline is alright, linear, and the graphics are nice. Killing those thins is allot of fun, but the game is not scary for a horror game, its predictable, oh and If that thing appears behind your back, you are **** you need a century to turn around and scan the area! Expand
  48. Sep 14, 2014
    dead space on my harddrive.

dead space on my harddrive.

I played it got it free off origin it was on the house decided give it a try this is hard to review because to me it felt like just a generic fps its ok I played some of it got bored never touched it again it didn't have that pull back that made me want to start it up again I don't have much else to say if you like fps and like some mild jump scare once in a while you will probably like this title but fps market seems so flooded and most of whats here you seen before.

just average middle of the road game in my eyes.
  49. Aug 11, 2017
    Fairly good action horror game. I've seen people calling Dead Space one of the scariest games ever, but in reality i didnt find it that scary at all, theres plenty jump scares, wouldnt call them cheap, but theyre maybe bit overused in my opinion. I found the suspense, dread and atmosphere of the game most satisfying. Where it hit the sore spot for me personally was the story and narrative,Fairly good action horror game. I've seen people calling Dead Space one of the scariest games ever, but in reality i didnt find it that scary at all, theres plenty jump scares, wouldnt call them cheap, but theyre maybe bit overused in my opinion. I found the suspense, dread and atmosphere of the game most satisfying. Where it hit the sore spot for me personally was the story and narrative, i kinda got sick of Isaac's dementia ridden storyline focused around his girlfrend, it just didnt feel satisfying as a narrative direction. Altough universe the game is set in is pretty intriguing and exploring and learning about whom can make up for the so so stroy. I also have mixed feelings about the gameplay, from one hand the heavy movement system feels at place since Isaac is wearing a fairly heavy and bulky rig suit, but from other it doesnt just feel intuitive, when game throws several enemies at you your slow movement speed can make the gameplay a tore at times. Inventory and ammo managment was a must, at times i had very little resources left fearing i might run out before enemie encounters, but luckily game has balanced flow of loot, if you dont play like total tool you should always have enough ammo and health to get through the game.

Exploring Ishimura, entering vaccum of space, seeing the cool backgrounds of the space also are a treat on their own. And the set piece moments are also done very well. There are some really nice space walking and 0 G segments. Visuals for a 2008 game were also very good, not much color, but works really well in its setting.

It also runs very well, except when you use your flame thrower, frame rate then can drop to single digits for several seconds and i dont know why. It takes some getting used to with mouse aiming, its much heavier and not that intuitive by default as normally in third person shooters, but you get used to it in hours 2 or 3 in the game.

1. This is a highly recommended game for science fiction and survival horror fans, with its claustrophobic atmosphere and horrible creatures.
  2. Overall, Dead Space is an extraordinary game with tons of shock value and action to whet any fan's appetite for some time, and with a campaign that lasts a steady 10-12 hours, that’s plenty of time to get lost aboard the Ishimura.
  3. PC Zone UK
    Dead Space is a potentially great game that's hamstrung by an attempt to completely ape a console controller with a mouse and keyboard. [Dec 2008, p.58]