8.8

1. Dec 23, 2011
    Good game but it does nothing to distinguish itself from the numerous other tower defense games out there. It can keep you busy and it's not a horrible game by any means. But there are better tower defense games out there. However the graphics and voice acting are very well done, which bumps the score up from average to just barely above-average for me. It's not a bad game by any means and buying it won't set you back too much but you can easily find a better tower defense game out there for the same amount of money. Expand
  2. Jan 16, 2011
    I am a big fan of the Tower Defense genera. At first glance this looks like a great concept. Very good eyecandy and interesting storyline that you usually don't find in the TD games online. It also has a very well balanced variety of monsters and Towers that allow for all sorts of strategies. (GAME TIP: Although in the end I found that CANNONS and COMMAND towers were the strategy that would get me through. The AI tended to rely heavily on shielded, hidden monsters that only were susceptible to those two tower types) Unfortunately Replay value is next to nill. There are only 25 levels, with at most 30 waves in each.
    The Grinder Mode (99 levels) which could have expanded the replay value into the hundreds of hours is BOGUS. After wave 30 or 31 the monsters just repeat the same wave over and over and over with no change. If you have built correctly, you can leave your computer after level 32 and not come back until the 99th. In short, this could have been great, and really has the edge in graphics and storyline,
    but there are so many TD games online for free with much better replay value. If you find this in the bargain bin, its worth about 8 hours of play. I got it for $2.99 which was about the right price.
  3. Jul 25, 2011
    It's just another tower defense game. Meaning.. you can play basically the same game online for free. It has better graphics, it actually has a story but all-in-all same game play, and same types of towers. It took me about eight hours to beat it so it has a decently long campaign, little replayability although different modes do add to the fun. In the end, it is a fun game, but in reality you're paying for something you don't have to. It provides nothing more (besides a **** story) than an online TD game. Another bummer is that the towers seem to be unbalanced. More expensive towers aren't necessarily worth the money and by the end of the game I was using the same couple of towers in mass. Buy this game if you love TD's and you can get it for two or three bucks but other than that, play VR tower defense. Expand
  4. Sep 20, 2012
    For it's value, this is completely worth it. The game has a lot of replayability then if you add the few dlc, this will give you a lot of hours to play. I have almost 100 hours of play and pay around 15$ for the game and some of the dlc. This is worth it.
  5. Jul 2, 2011
    I'm a minor fan of Defense games, but Defense Grid is absolutely tremendous! It's so well-devised, has great graphics, and the best voice actor ever! For the price, this game is a great value. It's got lots of fun extra modes for each level which is nice as well. Overall, this is the blueprint for how to create a defense game. Truly worthy of universal acclaim.
  6. Aug 5, 2011
    An excellent tower defense game; good visuals, sounds and even voice acting. The campaign mode is a joy to play, it has a unique and interesting storyline that will make you want to continue playing to see how the story unfolds. Unfortunately, the same can not be said of the lackluster, money grubbing DLC; no story line, no new enemies, no new turrets and an inclination to not give the player much (sometimes any) freedom of choice when it comes to creating path ways. Play this game for the campaign, forget about the DLC. Expand
  7. Oct 27, 2011
    A classic that has yet to be outdone. The attention to detail, engaging game-play, sound and voice acting, all nicely combine to easily lift Defense Grid to reigning king of the TD genre. Now if they can just port this over to the iPad, I'll be all set.
  8. Dec 7, 2011
    Fantastic game! By the looks of it, I never thought I'd find myself playing this kind of game, but it sort of has the "plants vs zombies" feel to it. The point is to stop the enemy form getting to the end, and as you progress you get a variety of better weapons and upgrades to do it with. In the meantime, the aliens (or zombies if you prefer) are also starting to range in types, from stronger to faster; from slow to ones that fly. All around, this game is fantastic and I can't believe it got a measly 81/100, I'd give it a solid 9.5 just because it's plain fun! Expand
  9. Dec 22, 2011
    Easily the best Tower Defence game ever made. I can't even come up with any cons here, because everything about it was excellent. The DLC's are very solid either, especially You Monster.
  10. Sep 3, 2012
    If you enjoy the whole concept of "turret defense," this game is a must have. It is by far the best single player game of its type, and is addicting. Once you successfully protect your core on one map, you'll want to keep going and going. I also enjoy UMS Turret Defense games that are on Starcraft: Broodwar and Starcraft 2, and Defense Grid uses some of these ideas and builds on them. There are also many ways to play each level, so it remains challenging and refreshing. Expand
  11. Apr 16, 2011
    Plays out very strategic and balanced. The levels progress very interestingly and always offer different strategical elements. The game proves very tough.
    The replay value is pretty low, once youve seen a level you may hunt several medals or play it in different modes, but once you find a tactic it isnt as interesting as first playing it.
    Alien waves become stronger over time. There is a
    "endless" mode for certain levels, but once past the "normal" length the strategical balance is lost. That means, Aliens dont become stronger, and your Towers are upgraded to the max, gameplay is getting zero.
    Essentially ,the game is real good, but short.
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    One of the best tower defense games, ever, period. I don't like making such 'profound' statements, but this game has been my favorite of all time since i first picked it up over a year ago. The game has great graphics, good voice over acting, a solid story for a tower defense game, and extreme replay value. This tower defense game has paths that are predetermined and you just have to build towers to kill them as they pass, areas where you can create mazes, and also areas where you can force them to take different routes altogether. As far as vareity goes, this has game has plenty of it. Lastly, one of my favorite features is the point system, which rewards players for spending less money, and therefor being more effecient. So, if you have competitive friends, and think you are better than them.... its a good place to show it. Conclusion: A must for anyone who claims to like tower defense games. The solid amount levels, and gameplay modes allows the game to remain entertaing for a very lengthy time. Expand
  13. mpr
    May 29, 2011
    Neat little game that got me addicted for a few weeks, sometimes spending hours on a single level searching for the optimal solution. Happy to have it in my Steam collection.
  14. Jul 1, 2011
    Perhaps the best Tower Defense there is. A bit too easy if all you care about is beating the game, but can give you a nice challenge if you try to maximize your score and play the other game modes. Surprisingly good presentation for this genre, complete with decent voice acting and a nice storytelling that gives life to the game without getting in the way of it.
    Some 8h of gameplay if you
    just want to beat the storymode, many dozen hours if you're a score perfectionist. Expand
  15. Jul 2, 2011
    I love this game! The environment, vocal narration, and music successfully set the mood for the entire game. As a newbie, it was really easy to pick-up and learn. The layout of the levels make it seem more like an actual puzzle at times, and it offers up lots of various ways to build defenses and replay the different maps. I have an older video card, yet with the proper configuration, the game still looks great and runs smooth! The only reason I dont give this game a ten, is because I want more... I played through the entire game in basically one sitting. More maps, more aliens, more options - a little more would have made it perfect. Expand
  16. Mar 7, 2012
    I was never really a big fan of the tower defense genre until I played Defense Grid. The developers have really done everything right to make it addictively enjoyable. It provides a wealth of different game modes on top of its great story mode. But what really sets it apart from the competition is the extremely intuitive user interface--it is literally just one click control for everything and has a great tutorial approach. I definitely recommend picking this one up. Expand
  17. Sep 5, 2011
    Excellent tower defense strategy game. Not sure about the DLC, but it took me about 15 hours to beat the base game's campaign and bonus levels on regular difficulty. While the graphics are a bit drab, the gameplay is smart, challenging, and addictive. The voice acting gives the game a bit of character, and the music and sound effects are solid. Overall a solid package. I'd love to see a sequel with improved visuals, as they are the main thing holding the game back. Expand
  18. Sep 8, 2011
    This game does exactly what is has set out to do perfectly. I used to enjoy TD mods on Warcraft 3, so it was a real joy to find this and I'm having fun playing it.
  19. Sep 27, 2011
    Highly recommended.
    Voice acting is surprisingly good for a indie game.
    Huge maps collection with addition DLCs maps pack.
    One of the best TD game I ever played.
    money well spent!!
    if they have implemented multiplayer, this would be the perfect standalone TD game in existent
  20. Oct 24, 2011
    Very simple tower defense game. The variation of modes and maps, aliens and towers, combinations etc. make this game a credible pay-toplay game. It's so arcade and easy to play yet it can be infinitely complex depending on what you want to acheive. Certainly worth a try.
  21. Nov 13, 2011
    One of the best tower defense games I've ever played. There are many levels and campaigns to choose from, and a lot of towers/upgrades purchasable to defeat the enemy. A lot of fun when you're looking for something to do.
  22. Nov 16, 2011
    An absolutely superb tower defense game. Levels require a higher level of intelligent strategy as you progress and there are many ways to play many of the more difficult levels. Highly addictive and a great challenge!
  23. Dec 6, 2011
    From the beginning, beautiful graphics and a fluid camera with depth-changability sets this game up as a step above the rest. Then throw in a diverse array of maps with space for tons of different strategic design ideas, about 10 turrets with upgrades reflected in design and projectile type, and you've got a great single player campaign. The voice acting is a 6 or 7, about as good as any modern AAA title gets, but the coherence of the story is about an 8.5, and the voice isn't at all what ends up carrying it. About a dozen maps, then DLC that is cheap and offers infinitely unique new options and maps, ie, the open square designed level with two entrances and one exit. This game is still receiving updates and it's been pretty bug free from the start, no crashes or freezes for me, over 80 hours on two pcs. The campaign and DLC now also have CHALLENGE modes which are true to their title, and I'm having all kinds of fun finding out how un-pro all the tactics I barely scraped by with before ended up being. The better to think new solutions! It is the essence of strategy gaming, and this game is implemented very well with lots of content and plenty of replay value, some of the best I've seen from a single player indie/strategy title, and definitely the best tower defense game I've ever played this long. Expand
  24. Dec 24, 2011
    Very good game for the price you cannot fault it, good graphics and plays nice and smooth with no glitches, I didnt expect much at the price but was pleasantly suprised, this is a great tower defense game.
  25. Dec 27, 2011
    Excellent tower defense game. This is even more fun than bubble tanks was. Excellent gameplay and graphics. The British computer gets annoying after a while, but so be it. Still a fantastic game with very creative maps.
  26. Dec 31, 2011
    If you are looking for great relaxing game you got it. If you are looking for challenge you got it, again.
    What i'm mean, is that game can give you a great time of slaughtering legions of aliens with good balanced and designed turrets, although good soundtrack, nice graphics and easy controls. About bad in this game, is that when you learn all kinda tricks in game you can get boring, but
    that can be fixed by download content, if you like the original game. Expand
  27. Jan 5, 2012
    I'm a big fan of Tower Defense games. That being said, Defense Grid: TA is one of the best I've ever played. It's simple yet clever design allows the player infinite possibilities for strategies. The enemies come in several distinct variations and the level designs vary in sizes and terrain. The AI voice over is simply terrific as he adds levels of humanity to the stakes. The controls are fluid and simple and the music is great but a tad repetitive. There are several DLC that can be purchased so after The Awakening story is completed you can keep playing. It's a true gem. Expand
  28. Feb 9, 2012
    Currently the best standalone tower defence game you can buy. The voice acting and narration are spot on and it provides a substantial amount of levels, towers and basic tower defence game play. A must buy for tower defense fans, but still leaps and bounds behind the quality of TD games available through Warcraft III.
  29. Mar 14, 2012
    After 3 years out Defense Grid is still probably the best true tower defense game out there. Still receiving love from developers in patches and newly added content even after such a long time. If you love tower defense genre, you will enjoy this game from top down.
  30. Mar 19, 2012
    Ah, raspberries....how I love them. :P For a tower defense game, the voice acting here is amazing, and helps create an enjoyable game world. The gameplay itself is highly addictive and rewarding, with lots of towers that are actually worth building, and several fun challenge modes that help provide variety. I actually think that this is the best tower defense game that I have played so far, but it still left me wanting a little bit more from it (and not just more levels or "modes" or anything like that). Expand
  31. Aug 26, 2013
    This is THE BEST tower defense game! I've played lost of games of this kind, but none of them can get me so addicted like this one. Gameplay, story, difficulty, music graphic everything is the best of this kind.
  32. Dec 11, 2011
    This game can be best described in one word: frustrating. It's simply too difficult and with no way to adjust the difficulty setting the game rapidly becomes unplayable for all but the most hardcore gamers. If you want a challenge, then this is the game for you. If you just want to have fun, then save your money for something else.
  33. Dec 23, 2011
    i have play a more than 50 free tower defense games and well i have buy this coz i am fan of this type of games but this one its not a game for buying it c mon wake up this is a good game but it doesnt have anything special from the free ones exept the voice and some funny story !
    u need to play 9 euro and then more for the dlc ?!?!?!
    u can buy dungeon defense orcs must die and a lot of
    other games on that price
    u can find a lot of games like this on the internet browser and better than this this is the tower defense for ppl who got the money.......
  34. Feb 2, 2013
    Best tower defense game ever created. Mob pathing adds a ton of strategic variety to the levels. The graphics are great- zooming in on a well fortified bottleneck provides great satisfaction. The variety of different game modes makes for interesting challenges level after level. Most TD games I get bored with after a short while, but DG keeps me engaged- sometimes for longer than I would like! I would love to see a sequel! Expand
  35. Sep 17, 2012
    Edit: upping my score on this to a 9 after over 100 hours of play. There is so much to this game, and so many approaches to try out long after playing the levels. I learned alot by completing some challenges that required me to build with only 10 towers, or without certain towers available. Playing the different challenge modes requires you think hard about the strengths and weaknesses of towers and use them optimally. Yeah, you can win without optimum setups, but to do it with less and get gold medals and even higher scores requires serious thinking and learning from the process.

original review: I found myself often thinking about a particular level long after I finished playing it, trying to find better strategic and tactical approaches to improve performance. It's the epitome of easy-to-play / hard-to-master in that you can can have fun from the first game, but still find increased fun days later by learning much more through gameplay and experience. The game gives you time to seriously think about next moves in a real time context. If you like watching the progress of the battle and making macro level decisions that shape the battle then this game will appeal. If you prefer "twitchy" games and want to instead be the creatures running through the maze shooting everything, then this game is _not_ for you. I actually like being the general on the hill watching the battle and deciding where to deploy my resources. Other nice things: The talking computer brain is entertaining, the medal system encourages you to do better via replayability, and the global ranking system lets you know if your solution for particular levels is one of the better ones compared to other players. Score:8 well above average. fun from day 1 w/ high replayability.
  36. Oct 5, 2012
    *this game is a great game for those who love tower defence* *strategy is needed to get past the many levels**each level slightly harder then the last* learning curve scales nicely* nice sense of achievement once completed a level**after completing the game you find yourself trying to beat your old scores for satisfaction**
  37. Oct 16, 2012
    Towerdefense game at its best, I picked it up last Christmas period on Steam for less than 3
  38. Nov 13, 2012
    I like this game, the graphics are good, there is re playability but no multiplayer, The game have a nice variety of levels,monsters and modes and great history line.
  39. Dec 11, 2012
    Best tower defense game I've played. Very clean UI with a long main campaign and many side things to do after everything is done. Replay value comes with trying to get perfect scores to 100% maps, more difficulties and game modes. A good first choice to pick up if you haven't played a game in the genre before since it introduces new mechanics slowly enough, but keeps a tight grip on difficulty to give tower defense pros a workout. Expand
  40. Dec 30, 2012
    This game is fantastic and very addictive. I didn't care that much for the storyline, but the levels looked very nice and the voice-acting was okay too. I wasn't really into tower defense games until I played this game. I got it in one of the many indie bundles and I thought I would not like it. I was so wrong. The levels are diverse and it never really gets boring. There is a good variety in towers, although I usually just use a few of them. I think the gun tower is a bit too powerful though. The developers are constantly improving this game, making it effectively better. The DLC's are cheap too and provide many extra hours of entertainment. It's good value for money. I highly recommend anyone to try this game. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  41. Apr 29, 2013
    This game is a great tower defence game, although it is not unique in any way, it feels well made and also gives you a challenge and makes you think how you are going to go about playing it. It has a narrative with this game having a voice actor which honestly I did not list to much as he just kept droning on about different enemy's and towers. It is defiantly worth the price of a couple of pounds and can keep you playing for hours. I would recommend to any tower defence players. Expand
  42. Jul 16, 2013
    A solid 8/10. This game kept me up for long hours of enjoyable playing. It accomplished that, probably due to its excellent balancing: you use defense towers (guns) to hold off enemy attacks. Each tower has its own strength and weakness, and combinations of them on the map are really limited only to your imagination. Excellent graphics, awesome voice-acting (even though only of one character), superb re-playability. Prepare for sleepless nights! Expand
  43. Jul 28, 2013
    This tower defense is extremely old school. The game is really old actually, so really don't expect innovations. If you are aware of today's tower defenses and played some of them, you are going to say "meh". For me, it was "not so bad, but not so good either".
  44. AWG
    Jul 31, 2013
    There are dozens of Tower Defense strategy games out there and I'm not expert enough to assess the genre in general. What I can say is this game is a really good and funny game and I highly enjoyed playing it. Graphics are cool and gameplay is very intuitive. 7.4 out of 10, wouldn't uninstall after taking all its Steam Trading Card drops.
  45. Aug 7, 2013
    Tower defense games should stay from where there came simple flash games, like Gemcraft or so. BUT! Defense Grid: The Awakening push all boundaries to provide true masterpiece among tower defense games. Great graphics, great plot, great narrator, great DLC's everything is great in this game. Tons of fun and repeatability. This is "must have" for everyone. Period.
  46. Aug 29, 2013
    Playing this after playing 70 hours of Defender's Quest, I wasn't terribly impressed. Unlike most reviewers here, I thought the voice acting is on the weak side, the story doesn't convince me, and I didn't think the graphics were up to date. The gameplay is OK, but nothing really stands out as special or novel. I cannot fault this game for anything, but I didn't feel compelled to play on after a few hours. Personally I much preferred Plants versus Zombies, and Defender's Quest. Expand
  47. Oct 19, 2013
    Defense Grid's excellent personality and gameplay make it both a great game for experienced tower defense fans and an excellent starting point for new players.
  48. Oct 20, 2013
    Fun and addictive. At this point it's nearly free on steam. Just get it, seriously! If you like strategy and addictive puzzle-like gameplay, it satisfies. Hours of gameplay with more DLC available.
  49. Oct 31, 2013
    One of the best tower defense games ever made and one that manages to comfortably hold a plot together. For pure tower defense with clear and flexible tactics you can't go wrong.
  50. Nov 6, 2013
    At first glance this looks like just another run of the mill tower defense with pretty graphics. But the game is actually surprisingly complex if you are going for the highest scores and hardest achievements.

First the things that stood out to me are no resource collectors. You get resources by killing enemies primarily and a tiny amount of interest based on how much you have saved in
    the bank. The second thing was towers are invulnerable. Some tower defense games are like this, some aren't. While it seems like these two changes would overly simplify a game like this, the other features of the game add plenty of depth.

The main feature, and what makes this game amazingly awesome is the AI pathing. Many levels have multiple entry and exit points for the enemy aliens and many are giant open areas. The trick is you can place towers to strategically block off certain routes, make choke points, etc. There are thousands of ways you can beat levels. This isn't anything like plants vs zombies where you have 6 lanes and that's it. There's tons of tower placement options. The maps are very well designed imo.

Not so unique is the types of towers, though they are very well done. There's about 10 types, ranging from flame throwers to giant cannons. There's also upgrades. At first I thought the game was too easy. Once I got to the levels where cannons were available I just build tons of them and beat the game with minimal scores. But then I went back and tried to get gold medals on each level and man! It is hard! You definitely need very good tower placement and to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each type, as well as understand the cost/benefits of upgrading vs building more towers. I found it very addictive and fun. I have 20 hours played in two weeks and I got the game on sale for under $5. Well worth it. Even if you don't try for any achievements the game should last you 4-5 hours which isn't bad for this price.
  51. Mar 4, 2014
    Several reviewers said that there are better tower defense games out there but I think anyone would be hard pressed to find one with more playability than this. By playability I mean the ability to come back to this game time and time again in an attempt to beat your own or someone else's high score. I am proud of the few accomplishments I have made in this game and I am excited every time I get a new high score. I haven't felt that since I played pinball at the arcade and tried to beat the high score. The scores are high enough to be a challenge but not impossible to reach. Steam is the perfect platform for this type of game. There are enough competitors out there so that when my ranking improves I am proud enough to brag...if I were a bragging person. Don't take my word for it. Dig in deep and find out what it is all about before the new version comes out this year. Expand
  52. Mar 11, 2014
    I liked the story, the voice acting, the slightly cob-web-minded AI telling you what's going on and I like tower defense games. So why didn't I like this much overall? Maybe because I paid money for it and expected it to be better than free flash games. You can't give your towers any instructions of what or where to attack, i.e. first enemy, strongest, weakest etc. Such controls add so much more strategy to tower defense and without them this game comes across as rather basic and not all that much fun. The various Bloons TD games from Ninjakiwi are better. Expand

It's amazing what a little touch up in graphics and sound can do for a tower defense gameplay-based title. And Hidden Path Entertainment's Defense Grid: The Awakening is a prime example of that sudden transformation of taking a unoriginal. well-known style of video game and turning it into a masterpiece for your PC.
  2. If you like tower defense games and have $20 to spend, Defense Grid: The Awakening is absolutely worth checking out and will provide you with some solid entertainment - just don't expect to get 40 hours of playtime out of it.
  3. The later of the 20 unique levels can grow frustratingly difficult, but the amount of replayability due to different challenges and scoreboards are more than enough to justify picking it up, or at least buying it when it eventually makes its way to Xbox Live.