Demigod PC

7.9

1. AdamR
    Apr 22, 2009
    First of all, going to state to anyone who hasn't or refuses to say the game isn't influenced or solely based on DotA needs to get a reality check, it is relevant to the topic at hand as it is almost a direct port but with custom graphics and sound. Stop being retarded. Outside of that, the game is solid fun, to a degree. You choose one of 8 demigods, either a General (Leader of First of all, going to state to anyone who hasn't or refuses to say the game isn't influenced or solely based on DotA needs to get a reality check, it is relevant to the topic at hand as it is almost a direct port but with custom graphics and sound. Stop being retarded. Outside of that, the game is solid fun, to a degree. You choose one of 8 demigods, either a General (Leader of a small regiment of an army or can go solo) or an Assassin (Like the general, but no army and more focused on killing then reinforcing, also, Assassin makes no sense, Champion or Guardian would of been more appropriate). The graphics are stunningly beautiful and the music score is grand. The levels are cleverly designed and balanced. So you ask, why a 7? The game is riddled with ridiculous bugs and game mechanics. First and foremost, online play is terrifyingly laggy, regardless of connection or system, and it resets favor points AND achievements, making those two systems bugged out the butt (some achievements are tough to get. If you get them in single player and decide to go multiplayer, all your effort goes out the door). The differences between Generals and Assassins are moot, there is no difference besides one can have a small army with them. You can play both sides similarly, which makes no sense. The general should not be able to be solo and do great on his or her own as would an Assassin. Finally, the favor system favors destruction. A few of the demigods aren't built to be offensive, and playing one hurts you. Such as Sedna, she's a healer as Oak is more defensive. If you play these characters they way they are designed, you'll earn enormously less points if you do otherwise, making it unfair or unwise to choose them. These bugs are in the game as of release, supposedly getting patched soon. I suggest waiting for them to do so before purchasing or before going multiplayer. Expand
  2. AnonymousMC
    Apr 17, 2009
    The game's gameplay is not too bad. It's the same formula as another very popular custrom map of warcraft called DOTA. However, the game has very serious flaws.

Fundamentally, there's very little content in this game. There's little depth and I can forsee that after playing for a little while, the games will become extremely repetitive with so much lacking content.

The other huge problem is the horrible networking. Currently it's extremely difficult to play a multiplayer match and single player is basically non-existant. If you can't play multiplayer, you can't really play the game.
  3. Yaz
    Apr 17, 2009
    Basically this is a new version of DOTA (old popular Warcraft 3 map). The problem is the game doesn't improve nearly enough on it to be a hit. We of course get better graphics (not terribly difficult when you're competition is a game released in '02), finally have a variety of maps and a better fleshed out skill system. The problem is it lacks in the most key area, heroes. Basically this is a new version of DOTA (old popular Warcraft 3 map). The problem is the game doesn't improve nearly enough on it to be a hit. We of course get better graphics (not terribly difficult when you're competition is a game released in '02), finally have a variety of maps and a better fleshed out skill system. The problem is it lacks in the most key area, heroes. DotA has a LOT of heroes, all a little different and interesting in their own rights and years behind tweaking, balancing and making them fun. Demigod has 8. Now there is a bit more to the demigod heroes than the DotA ones but that's a huge difference for the main focus of the game. Next demigod has a very basic inventory/equipment system lacking the interesting upgrade paths of DotA. On it's own rights though it's not a bad game. I've ranked it this low mainly due to value. At $40 USD it quite frankly stinks. Even ignoring how it stands against the basically free DotA map this is nothing more than basic copy of the game with new names and graphic engine. There is nothing innovative here and there is very little content (no single player campaign, just mp matches with bots basically) and the basic mp gaming. How much would I pay? Maybe $20-25 and that would mostly be in the hopes there would be future expansions or patches later to expand the heroe roster. At $40 price point I can't help but think it's really going to be hurting the amount of multiplayer matches available at any given time too. Expand
  4. johannesk
    Apr 28, 2009
    Looking fine in begining the game reveals major flaws pretty fast. The state it was released remembered me on a early beta and not on a finished game. I was not able to play a single multipalyer game yet, while i tried it for 4 hours (on seperated days)
  5. KeithP.
    Jun 30, 2009
    Yes, the game has its problems. There's a very vocal minority out there with connection issues, and it sucks, but it's not as bad as many claim. Currently, the major issue is the Crash to Desktop and problematic stat tracking. Overall the game itself is quite fun. I'd like to give the game a better review, but it's certainly not fixed yet.
  6. CraigW.
    Apr 17, 2009
    It's fun at first, but the lack of any strategic depth and content makes it dull after just a few plays. You can only spend your day trying to knock down the other guy's towers for so long before you tire of it all. Voice acting is laughable, there's no story. It feels like a $20 package (sort of like Shadowrun was) and should have been priced as such. It's a good It's fun at first, but the lack of any strategic depth and content makes it dull after just a few plays. You can only spend your day trying to knock down the other guy's towers for so long before you tire of it all. Voice acting is laughable, there's no story. It feels like a $20 package (sort of like Shadowrun was) and should have been priced as such. It's a good game, but not a complete game. Online is horribly broken. Expand
  7. TOHanlon
    May 19, 2009
    Basically, the online portion of this game is broken (at least for many players). There is no single player game to speak of. There are few maps and little other content. Nevertheless, the game has some potential if they ever fix the multiplayer component. Would not recommend in its current state of disrepair.
  8. radiobabylon
    Apr 21, 2009
    Great idea, terrible execution. no singleplayer past skirmishes (or a string of skirmishes for a "tournament") and horrible multiplayer connectivity issues lead to a game that isnt fun to play alone, and isnt fun to try and play with others. sure, the problems may get shook out in time... but why would you want to buy the game before then? just wait until you hear its straightened out.
  9. GS
    Jun 23, 2009
    Felt unfinished in both design and polish. Lots of promise and hype but simply failed to deliver on expectations. That said it was fun for a few hours but lost it's interest quickly.
  10. Jun 5, 2014
    The game itself is fun - very fun.
    In fact I might say that in terms of gameplay demigod is my favorite RTS game in the style of mobas.
    However - the single player is very meh. AI never does anything different and putting 2 ai's together is guaranteed to result in a infinite stalemate. And that's really it for this review. The multiplayer is all but dead - filled with nothing but
    The game itself is fun - very fun.

And that's really it for this review.

The multiplayer is all but dead - filled with nothing but elitists and impossible for newbies to get a game going. I played this about a year ago, so I can only imagine it is only more dead now.

I tried very hard to get a game going - went to the official forums and made a newbie thread and asked for anyone to play with me. Though some said yes, I never heard from them again and they didn't respond when I contacted them.

So I went into the online play in-game and joined one of the three games they had going - all were elitist games that didn't want newbies - I tried anyway because I was sick of single player. Told them up-front that I was new. I was kicked and told to go to another game that was in the lobby - so I did. Then they kicked me and told me to go to the one I was just kicked from.

Finally I met someone willing to play with me. The most horrible thing happened: The game crashed in the last 3 minutes of the game. It was already a done game - he was attacking my primary base. Somehow the game awarded me the win though - told me that the other guy lost connection. I guess there is some glitch that people can take advantage of and do this - because as soon as I contacted him he called me a cheater and refused to talk to me and swore he was done trying to help "fake" newbies.

I love the lore and the gameplay but since single player mode is bad, and multiplayer is practically unplayable I cannot recommend this game at all.

1. The multiplayer focus and a lack of a more traditional, story-driven solo campaign may not sit as well with all players, but the streamlined action-RPG gameplay proves to be seriously addictive in short bursts. The development team managed to inject a surprising level of gameplay depth into such a pared-down RTS design, and it works out.
  2. Online connection issues and a dearth of content keep this fun hybrid game from reigning supreme.
    If you're interested in throwing down cash for a beta and maybe getting in some practice before things get smoothed out, go ahead and bump that score up a letter grade. Anybody else should find something else to do until then.