Deponia PC

8.1

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Tries to follow on from the old Lucasarts adventures and to a large extent succeeds, sadly the jokes are a little too obvious at times. But it's good harmless point and click fun with well defined characters.
  2. Jan 17, 2013
    Really fun game with lots of humor and tricky puzzles to solve. If you like point and click games and what a challange, this is a game that I can highly recommend.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    I thought this game was a breath of fresh air. The point'n'click adventure genre has been dead for quite a while, but here we have Deponia which is nothing more and nothing less than a solid entry to the genre.

There are a quite a few of things to like here. The graphics are classic cartoony 2D done great, the setting is great, the humour is funny (although lame points exist), the UI works well, even the plot is fun to follow and has a nice spanner in the works near the end. Most importantly, although this one's hardly a nosebleeder, is that the game doesn't spoonfeed you everything. Granted, this is always been a significant part of the genre, but games of today are have made me wary. That's not to say that the game leaves you hanging, it just tells you what to do in subtle ways.

One thing I'm feeling weird about is voice acting. Everyone else seems to do a decent job, but the main character just sounds... offbeat. Then again his personality is that of a jackass, so I'm assuming that's at least partially intentional. Some of the robo voices in this game are hilarious too. My first impression with some of the music tracks was that they felt a bit out of place too, but in the end I actually ended up liking them a lot.

As for the bad things... there isn't really anything outstanding. The game is maybe a bit short, but given the genre I'll let that slide. Perhaps the biggest flaw of it is that there are simply too few interactable flavour items AND actual quest items. The ones you have see plenty of use. This is something I'd normally think of as an indie dev issue, but it's not really like the other elements in the game suffer from this.

Deponia is a game filled with soul, that any fan of the point'n'click genre should try out. It's not as good as the classics, but who says it has to be?
  4. Aug 7, 2013
    I have found that I have loved this game. As the trailer suggests, it's kind of like money island both in the cartoon animation (more so in reference to the third game) and it's also a world based on cartoon physics too.

The jokes in this are very funny and even though the character is a egocentric character who cares only about himself, he does get beaten up a lot so you do kinda warm up to him, plus you do get a sense that there is more to his personality than meets the eye.

It has a very Monkey Island feel to it, more so the third monkey island due to it being a 2d animation game which are rare nowadays, but Daedalic Entertainment have been bringing them back and well worth chasing after if you want a fun and entertaining adventure game.
  5. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One could arguably dub this as a steam punk Monkey Island. The game is building on humor, unconventional, but still more or less reasonable solutions to puzzles and loads of dialogue to create and maintain the atmosphere.
    Even though the main character is an obnoxious egomaniac this didn't disturb me much since they made it clear in about the first 10 seconds of the game. The other characters are fairly good with a few exceptions I found Toni a bit overdoing her part (seriously there is no reason behind giving home and food to your ex who you utterly hate from the bottom of your heart in my book) and the secretary in the Mayor's office is getting annoying fairly quick.
    I was a bit disappointed with the fact that the main game was taking place in the town and the other two scenes went really fast once you got there, but the story ran smooth and had its moments (even though quite predictable in general).
    The artwork deserves some extra praise it is really well executed and the music is pretty good too. If you like adventure games and you are into steam punk (or at least one of the two) then by all means do pick up this game and keep in mind that there are a few others in the series. A few others that I am now interested to try as well.
  6. Jun 21, 2013
    Pretty, fun & interesting game. It can easily compete with the classics. The puzzles were quite logical so I only had to look in the walkthrough once. Highly recommended!
  7. Oct 3, 2013
    Surprised that anyone would really have a problem with this game. I think there's been enough videos and summary available to steer people clear that didn't enjoy the sort of characters and game play/humor this game offers. The game is silly, it's absurd and the main character is a deadbeat and arrogant. However I think Rufus redeems himself, especially later in the series. He fightsSurprised that anyone would really have a problem with this game. I think there's been enough videos and summary available to steer people clear that didn't enjoy the sort of characters and game play/humor this game offers. The game is silly, it's absurd and the main character is a deadbeat and arrogant. However I think Rufus redeems himself, especially later in the series. He fights dirty, but for good reasons. Expand
  8. Jun 29, 2014
    A perfect start of what would be the perfect trilogy if it wasn't for the ending. The three games are great, the characters, the story, the art, the puzzles... But be ready to feel completely devastated in the end of all of it.
  9. Dec 7, 2014
    Sus puzles, su humor y su trabajado aspecto gráfico me hace recordar las aventuras gráficas de hace 20 años. Solo he tenido la ocasión de jugar a la primera parte de esta trilogía pero no me ha defraudado en absoluto. Muy entretenido, lo recomiendo.
  10. Nov 26, 2012
    I have heard a lot of hype about Deponia and bought it blindly during Autumn sale for very cheap. But the true is game fully worth it's full price. It bring back that feeling of old good quests from 90 's. I haven't played quests for a decade because any new one I have touched sucked. Deponia (and Machinarium) are rare exception from that rule. While game is not totally perfect, it's aI have heard a lot of hype about Deponia and bought it blindly during Autumn sale for very cheap. But the true is game fully worth it's full price. It bring back that feeling of old good quests from 90 's. I haven't played quests for a decade because any new one I have touched sucked. Deponia (and Machinarium) are rare exception from that rule. While game is not totally perfect, it's a bit too short for my taste and have few minor issues. If you ever liked quests, don't miss Deponia series. If you never played quests before, try Demo to get in love with it! Expand
  11. Dec 20, 2012
    Seeing the current critic score of 74 makes me wonder what all these people are thinking. I know, you could say, read all the reviews and find out, but I know this game is not that bad. And some terrible games are rated a lot higher. Go figure. This game wins my award for funniest tutorial (and a lot more) , which is especially good to see considering many games have terrible humor. ISeeing the current critic score of 74 makes me wonder what all these people are thinking. I know, you could say, read all the reviews and find out, but I know this game is not that bad. And some terrible games are rated a lot higher. Go figure. This game wins my award for funniest tutorial (and a lot more) , which is especially good to see considering many games have terrible humor. I guess metacritic is developing a rotten tomatoes syndrome. Laugh while you can. Expand
  12. Dec 1, 2012
    This game had me hooked from start to finish. I found it very reminiscent of the classic Lucas Arts adventure games, more so than any other game I have played in years. The great humor, wacky characters, imaginative, detailed environments, and inventive puzzles make this a game that no adventure fan should miss. I for one can't wait for Rufus' next adventure.
  13. Aug 6, 2012
    When I play this game... i really felt like my days when i played Monkey Island.... For a "point and click" game, it's a good product: Good sence of humor, nice character development, the music it's sticky and well done, and the history It's short but fine.

Something than I didn't like in this game is the ending... ok, it's fine, but it's very abrupt, you never thought than THAT were the final of the game. And some glitches on the movements and the voice, but nothing more...

It's a good game to play, and the puzzles are very funny to release.
  14. Aug 9, 2012
    The twist-filled story takes its off-beat characters all over trash planet Deponia, a unique game world!. The game shines when it comes to humor and has great in depth gameplay and storytelling. Puzzles are greatly amusing and shown with a lot of feelgood comments. Topgame!
  15. Oct 6, 2012
    An adventure game about a simple man, with grand ideas, trying to get odd a trash heap of a planet. Mostly fun game, some odd puzzles (although it'll let you skip the hard ones if it's doing your head in). The humour works very well for a german game translated into english. Bit like a less funny, sci fi version of monkey island ish.
  16. Aug 8, 2012
    A breath of fresh air in point-and-click 2D adventures of this year on PC after failure of Yesterday and Chains of Satinav (for me at least). Good plot, nice alive characters. Though protagonist have strong resemblance with Guybrush Threepwood in different setting for me it was just a bit nostalgic and fit the mood perfectly but some might say that is a ripoff.
  17. Aug 8, 2012
    Great voice acting, nicely drawn environments, entertaining jokes and a story that got me hooked. I can't wait to play the second part of it. Full score.
  18. Mar 18, 2013
  19. Dec 29, 2012
    while playing Deponia, i got back to my first adventure game experiences such as Broken Sword and Monkey Island. It has a great artwork, amazing humours and very funny dialogues. I was expecting it would last longer but it ended in a relatively short time. Fortunately it continues with a second game.
  20. Aug 11, 2012
    A truly fantastic game that made me love point and click puzzles once more, after such a long time. I was at first hesitant to try this game, but once I started it, the humor and character voices just won me over, as well as the interesting and well placed/designed puzzles. It wasn't too hard, as well as not too easy and obvious to the player, so there is a fine balance that keeps youA truly fantastic game that made me love point and click puzzles once more, after such a long time. I was at first hesitant to try this game, but once I started it, the humor and character voices just won me over, as well as the interesting and well placed/designed puzzles. It wasn't too hard, as well as not too easy and obvious to the player, so there is a fine balance that keeps you addicted to this title to the end. Pros: amazing animation, graphics, design of the levels, humor, character voices, unique responses of the character to each thing you do. Cons: a few bugs I encountered, like English subtitles suddenly switching to German for a brief moment, animations bugging out to the point where a game restart is required, a few characters had really loud voices. It's nothing too serious to ruin game-play.
    Try this game, you won't regret it!
  21. Aug 13, 2012
    I have not enjoyed an adventure game like this in years. The artwork is beautiful and the voice acting is superb. The story keeps you on the edge of your seat trying to progress to the next chapter every time. The main characters humor is constant and around every turn you'll find your self laughing at the simplest things. I would recommend this game to anyone who reads this and I haveI have not enjoyed an adventure game like this in years. The artwork is beautiful and the voice acting is superb. The story keeps you on the edge of your seat trying to progress to the next chapter every time. The main characters humor is constant and around every turn you'll find your self laughing at the simplest things. I would recommend this game to anyone who reads this and I have showed this game to my friends and they all agreed it was great. Expand
  22. Aug 16, 2012
    This was just a fun game. Funny, great art, fun puzzles, and with all the twists and turns in the story, it keeps you in suspense. This was a random pick up for me and i was pleasantly surprised.
  23. Aug 20, 2012
    A truly enjoyable and engrossing game that I can only describe as a modern steampunk Monkey Island. This game is truly underrated and I for one and greatly looking forward to the sequals as well as my next playthrough.
  24. Aug 24, 2012
    Well, that was hilarious. Incredible artwork and great characters. The puzzles make no sense at times but that only made them funnier, the bit with the post office cats (cats operating the postage system, you what?) and the bubble wrap was especially hilarious. The main character was interesting enough, the biggest egoist around but strangely likable and with the best stupid grin ever.Well, that was hilarious. Incredible artwork and great characters. The puzzles make no sense at times but that only made them funnier, the bit with the post office cats (cats operating the postage system, you what?) and the bubble wrap was especially hilarious. The main character was interesting enough, the biggest egoist around but strangely likable and with the best stupid grin ever. Only downsides for me were a couple of strange bugs and a massive memory leak (experienced the same with Chains of Satinav) along with the music that felt a little generic, but that all wasn't very bothersome. I really hope to see a sequel as the ending was a little inconclusive. Great game, really enjoyed it. Expand
  25. Aug 9, 2012
    This game is amazing. It feels like a modern monkey island and a breath of fresh air to even have a point and click adventure game. But actually I thought this game was more towards like pink panther passport to peril, which is a good thing. I loved that game!

Pros: Modern, cartoony artistic style that fits in with the game Story build up is wonderful and there is going to be a sequel

Pros:
    Modern, cartoony artistic style that fits in with the game
    Story build up is wonderful and there is going to be a sequel so I can't really judge just one game.
    The puzzles had a mix a mix of difficulty. Mostly easy, though wish it was harder. The dialog is funny and always makes you think of Guybrush or pink panther. I loved the voice overs (English version) the voices totally fit the characters.

Cons: There are two things that bother me but not by much.
    Audio balance was wrong with the guys in the mask. They were much to loud for anything else.
    Animation at some times looked rush and horrible. But other times were beautifully done. 9/10

P.S: I never do reviews, this game is special and deserves one even if you think my reviews sucks.
  26. Aug 14, 2012
    Fantastic game. I've been playing for at least 5 hours and loving it.

Pros: Art, Dialogue, Creativity, Fun Puzzles, etc The game is just great, one of the best point and click adventure games i've played besides the classics. Cons: Two major gripes! Not enough items to make it harder. Remember in Monkey Island how there were a ton of items, some were useless, some were to be
    Fantastic game. I've been playing for at least 5 hours and loving it.

Pros:
    Art, Dialogue, Creativity, Fun Puzzles, etc

Cons: Two major gripes!
    Not enough items to make it harder. Remember in Monkey Island how there were a ton of items, some were useless, some were to be combined several times etc. In Deponia, the puzzles are fine, but the items are fairly limited and it makes the guesses far easier. I think the searchable areas could have been a bit less linear. We should have been able to go to the town AND mine area at the start and have intertwine the puzzles and items between both locations - this would have made the game harder, and more items in your inventory.
  27. Jul 10, 2016
    This game was very enjoyable. I had only two issues with the game. First, the inventory was a little tricky to use. It sometimes takes a few clicks on an item to properly select it. Second, the Organon voices are very loud and grating. You might not want to play at high volume.
  28. Dec 11, 2014
    I'm going to take a seriously different approach to this review since most people complain about the ending and the main character(Rufus).

-Rufus isn't a horrible, hes just quite frank a blubbering idiot, who is full of himself and does the right thing when it counts he was never an angel, but this makes him a more realistic character, who did the right thing in the end -the game is

-the game is beautiful and has a great art-style
    -the story was a bit lacking in this one
    -The ending was unsatisfying because they were planning to make a sequel, so they wanted to leave the game open ended
    -The Puzzles were ridiculously hard to solve, but do-able and you eventually get used to figuring them out(some puzzles had an auto solve option)
  29. May 13, 2016
    The game looks simple but looks can be deceiving. The game has a nice art work, great voice acting, amazing puzzles,Huge twists,The characters are funny and so is the dialog, and a lot more. after diving into this game i lost track of time and played it for a month (every day a little bit) the game can be challenging but rewarding.
    The only downside i found about it is bugs, will explain
    The only downside i found about it is bugs, will explain : some times you get stuck in a room and not able to move to another room... fixable by loading a saved game before it happened. (made me remake a new game at first because i didn't know this bug is in the game.)
    don't think that i ever spent so much time playing a single game as i did with this one.
    really loved this game and can recommend it to others.

Giving it a solid 8 (would have bin 9 without bugs)
    This bugs are not present in the follow up games of this series.

1. Nov 6, 2012
    There's a bit of personality and charm in this adventure, but it still lacks a beating heart under the façade of hilarity and bright colours.
  2. Oct 30, 2012
    A good start for the Deponia trilogy, this title has many cards in its sleeve but suffers for its indecision between the old and new approach to game adventure genre.
  3. Oct 15, 2012
    The only think we can ask for is a sequel. Recommended for everyone interested in the genre, with great puzzles and sense of humor. It offers a classic, challenging gameplay, which should be enough to keep fans of the adventures games playing till they finish it.