8.3

1. Mar 17, 2014
    This game is fine, but nowhere near as good as popular opinion seems to indicate. The addition of developer commentary only highlights the technical hurdles that the team chose to sidestep (eg no mirrors in bathrooms, an "open world" that resolves into a handfull of simple corridors, etc). The Missing Link DLC is incorporated into the game, but just barely - it amounts to a cutscene'sThis game is fine, but nowhere near as good as popular opinion seems to indicate. The addition of developer commentary only highlights the technical hurdles that the team chose to sidestep (eg no mirrors in bathrooms, an "open world" that resolves into a handfull of simple corridors, etc). The Missing Link DLC is incorporated into the game, but just barely - it amounts to a cutscene's brusque segue into losing all your weapons and skills. Further, the DLC isn't really very much fun to play; it feels like a supermarket, where you have to move from one corner to another to suit the seller's needs rather than your own. Having to execute all these fetch quests is even more obnoxious by the existence of not one but two airlock-type thingies that each take roughly a minute of flashing blue lights to pass through and a two minute elevator ride with scenery befitting a ten year-old game.

There's some fun to be had here, but it plays like a budget game and not the AAA title that so many would claim it to be.
  2. Jul 27, 2014
    Compared to the non-Director's Cut release, this version of the game is very buggy! Some textures are glitched out and the entire screen occasionally flashes white for no reason (hope you don't have epilepsy!). Apparently old mission/storyline bugs that were patched a long time ago have reappeared, have not been fixed, and probably never will be at this point.

Not sure why none of the

Not sure why none of the mainstream reviews dinged the score for this stuff... Did they play the same game we got?

The changes that the Director's Cut made to the core gameplay basically make the game easier, which I find a bit baffling because the game was already pretty easy. Even on the highest difficulty most of the sidequests are pointless because the game already throws so many resources and ammo at you that you don't need any extras.

The commentary is fun to listen to and highly recommended. Lots of funny stories and it's quite entertaining.

Some technical details about how the commentary is implemented are silly: you can't leave an area while a commentary is playing and there's no way to skip a commentary section once it starts. Unless of course the game autosaves or you get a transmission, in which case the commentary will abruptly cut off.

The commentary nodes are unfortunately also very easy to miss, because you only get a quiet audio cue and an icon in the corner of the screen while you're in the (usually tiny) area where it can activate.

It's kinda funny: in the commentary you can hear the team talk about all the problems they had with the engine and how they were always working around its limitations. It sounds like they didn't have enough programmers on the team, and probably had none at all for this re-release (hence all the bugs).

Conclusion: if you just want to play Deus Ex, then get the old version. If you really want to listen to the commentary (it is pretty good!), then get this one and try to ignore all the bugs.
  3. Mar 31, 2014
    Last Played: Mar 2014

Pros: +Graphics still scale nicely to higher-end GPUs +Good voice acting +Nice, if trite story Cons: -Bugs are common and some are serious –Lots of lethal options for guards, few non-lethal I had high hopes for this game when I bought it: reading about the awesome story, the killer graphics, the variety of ways to achieve objectives. Within the first few
    Last Played: Mar 2014

I had high hopes for this game when I bought it: reading about the awesome story, the killer graphics, the variety of ways to achieve objectives. Within the first few hours, I knew I liked, but would never love this game. It is true, the graphics scale very nicely on the PC version, competitive with current releases (though the pre-rendered video looks crappy when these sequences trigger). Voice acting is quite good, and the story is interesting in a reimagining-the-classic-world-domination-plot kind of way.

Unfortunately, that isn’t enough to compensate for some serious shortcomings. Within the first few hours I had a loading screen that looked funny – I wasn’t bothered until the loading screen went away and the patterning on the walls was so messed up that I couldn’t tell walls apart from holes and fell to my death trying to get back. Re-loaded: the walls were all bright yellow and I still couldn’t tell what was going on. Kept trying with different save files and eventually restarted the software to get a correct load (fortunately I didn’t have to restart the game or I would have put this down and never touched it again). After that I saved my game A LOT more frequently just in case, which was annoying, to say the least. Other bugs range from story-line critical to merely annoying. For example, some quests and sub-quests do not update, so you have to find the next part manually (particularly annoying in large, multilevel maps). Alternatively, you will frequently find than one or more character models in a “takedown” move are wholly or partially invisible. Of particular note is the game’s annoying fickleness when it comes to knocking out/killing opponents. The pacifist achievement and the “best” game endings are dependent on killing no guards, instead knocking them out. If you are very dedicated to this outcome, you will have to get close enough to check EVERY BODY because takedowns and tranquilizers will sometimes kill rather than stun your opponent. There is no way to predict when this will happen, and reading the on screen experience pop-ups does not always help (sometimes will read “merciful soul” for a knock out, but the body is marked dead). This also refers to another problem: the game encourages non-lethal force but provides few methods to pursue it. You are given 10 lethal weapons, plus grenades, explosives, hackable robots/turrets, and lethal takedowns, but non-lethal is limited to 2 guns, gas grenades, and non-lethal takedowns. Using the same (only non-lethal long-range) gun the entire game is boring, and shows a lack of creativity on the part of the developer.

In the end, I don’t regret spending $7.50 on this game, but it certainly doesn’t live up to the glowing reviews you see here.
  4. Feb 5, 2014
    I was really enjoying this game for its graphics, music, game play, and especially its storyline. But then I got to the point where I learned that you're only able to naturally regain one bar of energy--it requires items to regain it any further, every time. I thought it was a bug at first, but nope. And since many neat skills, like cloaking/invisibility, requires energy to use, you'reI was really enjoying this game for its graphics, music, game play, and especially its storyline. But then I got to the point where I learned that you're only able to naturally regain one bar of energy--it requires items to regain it any further, every time. I thought it was a bug at first, but nope. And since many neat skills, like cloaking/invisibility, requires energy to use, you're either stuck using an item every single time, or you just can't use the skills...which makes the skills more or less pointless. I find this factor to be a big oversight which takes a lot of fun out of the game. So much so, that I've loss interest in playing any further. What a waste. Expand
  5. Oct 31, 2013
    My review "vanished", well, take a masterpiece as DX:HR is in its vanilla version, rebuild it from an ancient build previous to all bug-fixes/patches, do not correct them again, integrate both DLC missions and contents, add commentaries (which needs to be fixed, though) and a making-of video, rework the boss fights to be more varied, mess up completely the visuals, add some bug/glitch justMy review "vanished", well, take a masterpiece as DX:HR is in its vanilla version, rebuild it from an ancient build previous to all bug-fixes/patches, do not correct them again, integrate both DLC missions and contents, add commentaries (which needs to be fixed, though) and a making-of video, rework the boss fights to be more varied, mess up completely the visuals, add some bug/glitch just to be sure and you get this in its current state. I deeply hope the game will be fixed as the vanilla previously has been (maybe quicker, thanks), for me this version of the game COULD deserve a perfect 10 IF will be fixed, to date I can't feel to rate it more than 6, honestly, without a patch it deserves no more than this but I'm optimistic they will fix it in a reasonable amount of time, I know they can. Don't let us down, please. Expand
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    DEHR? Great game. Director's Cut? A sloppy and unprofessional cash grab.

While being a great game in itself, the only thing of value this Director's Cut has to offer is the integration of The Missing Link DLC, which should have rightfully been integrated with the story upon the purchase there of. Eidos-Montreal should not be charging you to fix their mistakes. Aside from a commentary
    DEHR? Great game. Director's Cut? A sloppy and unprofessional cash grab.

Aside from a commentary track, there is little added, except a computer and turrets in each boss room (oh gosh guys, HUGE changes for the better! /sarcasm). The smallest problems with the game are entirely overlooked. Low resolution textures and repetitive models are left untouched.

In summary: IF you really hate money and just want to play the game through again with the DLC integrated, this is for you. If you want to play a perfected and entirely polished version of the game, then you're going to be sad with Director's Cut.
  7. Nov 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Frankly I am asking myself whether this Director's Cut is worth its name. For a start the game looks qualitatively worse than the original with tons of colour-bleeding meaning things look white or red from a distance where you could make out details before, washed down colors, removal of the crayola-golden cyber-renaissance haze which added some cyberpunk feel to the game (not everyone like that but it could have been an option tbh), and graphical glitches like over-sized textures in place while not addressing the real graphical issues such as facial textures and models (i.e. Wayne Haas looks like a 2001 video game character still). In terms of sound there is also a qualitative stepback with cutouts of ambient noise and enforced radio noise signalling a commentary even if you disabled commentary. Also the improved AI acts more weird than before allowing some exploits not possible in the original. On the plus side we have overhauled boss battles from a point of view of someone who has done all battles to the death I found the new options for the most part less effective than the old ways with the exception being Barret but players who are struggling or never played the game before may have a different mindset. The other plus is the included Missing Link which I personally found to be the greatest one because finally it feels more complete and integrated within the game's story that way instead of having to play ML afterwards. The last major plus being a minor disappointment in itself as well: New Game+. Frankly it feels like playing god when you are fully augmented right from the start which kind of makes the majority of the game a walk in the park which could be nice if you are still rushing for missed achievements but it does not add new twists to the game. Especially considering that you keep collecting praxis kits without any use for them. Here they could have enabled little bonuses tweaking some aspects of your augmentations and added a new progressively harder game mode.
    In conclusion: For a director's cut edition I'd have expected more excellence especially since the original was very close to it. As a whole the Director's Cut is probably worth the full price if you owned the original game plus Missing Link before or if you were truly stuck at some bosses otherwise I'd suggest waiting until it's on sale and perhaps until then they will addressed some outstanding issues.
  8. Jan 24, 2014
    good game, good story, great visuals. However most upgrades are useless (to many relate to hacking) and lack imagination, also is there a reason for weapons and items to be THAT big and take up all the inventory space? I mean its not an issue once you upgrade but the size is just ridiculous. I wish they had put more effort in to it. honestly I think even Deus Ex 2 was better.
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    The original game, despite its flaws, (Boss battles) is far better, The Directors Cut is Sloppily thrown together, bugged, glitched and Lacking advertised features.

The Textures are Low Resolution, There are multiple instances of clipping issues, along with glitched quest markers. Usualy I play without them, but I had to turn them on in this instance, given missing quest NPC's A

A vital Story object has gone missing from its location in the first city hub, leaving my progress stranded.
  10. Sep 25, 2014
    Wait better than Deux Ex Invisible War, but still not quite at the same level as the original. Feels a bit more generic whereas the first DX was groundbreaking.

1. Jan 10, 2014
    If you haven’t played the original edition, prepare for one of the best stealth/shooter games of recent years and above all a really good story and incredible music. [01/2014, p.65]
  2. Jan 6, 2014
    Still dark, cool, beautiful, smart substantial, funny, creative and endlessly entertaining. Only now a bit better. [Jan 2014, p.88]
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    An excellent update that revitalises Human Revolution in a number of ways. Time to play it again. [Jan 2014, p.78]