8.5

1. Sep 7, 2011
    How can a game live up to deus ex in the console era of gaming? It can't. They try to satisfy both PC gaming and console markets and fail. It really doesn't matter if you blow everybody away or use stealth I spent 5 hours playing one city using stealth and then went back and played the same part rambo style except this time it only took me about 2 hours. There seems to be no significantHow can a game live up to deus ex in the console era of gaming? It can't. They try to satisfy both PC gaming and console markets and fail. It really doesn't matter if you blow everybody away or use stealth I spent 5 hours playing one city using stealth and then went back and played the same part rambo style except this time it only took me about 2 hours. There seems to be no significant consequence for your chosen play style. It's a decent game when compared to all the other garbage out there but as a deus ex game it just can't compare. The gaming industry needs some kinda revolution because the high cost to produce games today stifles creativity.... or maybe I should just stop playing games. Expand
  2. Aug 30, 2011
    After years of enjoyment out of the previous (original) Deus Ex. I was pleased to hear about the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (HR)- which is the first of a series of three upcoming Deus Ex games in the franchise. Many in the PC community had doubts about whether it would be developed as the original - for PC (windows) then ported out to the consoles, and as it turned out: we wereAfter years of enjoyment out of the previous (original) Deus Ex. I was pleased to hear about the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (HR)- which is the first of a series of three upcoming Deus Ex games in the franchise. Many in the PC community had doubts about whether it would be developed as the original - for PC (windows) then ported out to the consoles, and as it turned out: we were right to have those doubts. HR is a polished linear FPS trying to be everything at once. Trying to be like Gears of War - much of the game scenario's are built of the ability to hide or crouch behind cover. Trying to be like Mass Effect, with a lot of dialogue and story. Trying to be like the original game, with a futuristic avatar newly augmented with upgrading weapons and augmentation tech tree's. All good developments in gaming, and yet the game does *not* even come close to excellent gameplay. Trying to be everything at once is an underwhelming feeling in the game, and takes away it's original flare. The story is also very predictable. Now those aspects are important but they aren't the real reason why I dislike this game. They alone make this game no better than a 7/10 - at best. But the reason I rate this one low, is for PC gaming related issues. This one is important to PC users. The original Deus Ex game is one of the mecca's of the FPS genre. It was a huge step in all the right directions when it came out and re-defined what a computer game and be and do. Many people went out and bought PC's after playing the original game, myself included. Now as a PC gamer we can tell - immediately - that the whole UI and key mappings systems (controls) - were developed by a console gamer, for a console gamer, then ported to the PC. In short - they don't work. The game play is a constant battle (much like other games brought out by this developer like AC and AC2), having to constantly force yourself to learn the cover mechanic is a huge step away from traditional FPS gameplay and I don't like it one bit. It feels like an arcade game, not a deep experience.

Anyone who has played Half Life (by Valve) knows what I'm talking about. That game is a deep experience. So was the original Deus Ex. Now we have a console rip off with bad UI, poor controls, trying to be everything at once - and it's just, well, boring to play.

This game already has a *huge* fanbase and following. Many of us spent out $45 expecting big things, I for one will not be making that mistake twice.

I rate it a 6.5/10.
  3. JLF
    Aug 26, 2011
    DE:HR did not live up to the hype. And let's face it, the game's marketing was off the charts. The console casuals had all the "press a button for awesome" to look forward to and the PC gamers were promised a true sequel to the original Deus Ex. Still, it's relatively well made and better than most games this year (I'm looking at you Bioware). The PC version felt pretty native, even withDE:HR did not live up to the hype. And let's face it, the game's marketing was off the charts. The console casuals had all the "press a button for awesome" to look forward to and the PC gamers were promised a true sequel to the original Deus Ex. Still, it's relatively well made and better than most games this year (I'm looking at you Bioware). The PC version felt pretty native, even with it being a console port. What saddens me most is that they had to cut out an entire city hub to meet the deadlines. I swear, my first Deus ex playthrough was twice longer than this. It was fairly obvious they couldn't hire any decent voice actors either, but that's not a major issue.
    I'm giving it 5 for "average", as in "good, but there is room for improvement".
  4. Aug 24, 2011
    To put it simply, this game is nothing special. Uninspired and surprisingly linear, Human Revolution fails to live up to the Deus Ex name. This game is a copy/paste of the dozens of cover-shooting "RPGs" already on the market. In fact, it could arguably be a direct copy of Mass Effect 2 with the added elements of climbing ladders and crawling through vents. That is not a compliment. TheTo put it simply, this game is nothing special. Uninspired and surprisingly linear, Human Revolution fails to live up to the Deus Ex name. This game is a copy/paste of the dozens of cover-shooting "RPGs" already on the market. In fact, it could arguably be a direct copy of Mass Effect 2 with the added elements of climbing ladders and crawling through vents. That is not a compliment. The shooting is stiff, the graphics are dated, the quests are glitched, and some of the augmentation upgrades are practically necessary if you want to experience anything resembling nonlinear gameplay. Hacking is a perfect example of this. It's used everywhere for almost everything. Be prepared to fully upgrade the hacking augmentation before doing anything else (unless you just want to run from cover to cover shooting people until you reach the end of the level). Overall the game leaves an impression of poor planning and stale mechanics. Expand
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    Being a person who didn't enjoy the original Deus Ex (though, admittedly, I had played it 10 years after its original release date), I didn't expect much from this game but hype. That could be the reason why I enjoyed it as much as I did, though. It seemed almost as if it was made for consoles, even though I know it was made for PCs. It had a few bugs here and there, and I thought theBeing a person who didn't enjoy the original Deus Ex (though, admittedly, I had played it 10 years after its original release date), I didn't expect much from this game but hype. That could be the reason why I enjoyed it as much as I did, though. It seemed almost as if it was made for consoles, even though I know it was made for PCs. It had a few bugs here and there, and I thought the first boss was very OP, but I still enjoyed playing this game very much. The story line was hit and miss, and depended a lot (almost entirely) on Adam's love interest. The hacking system was INCREDIBLY well designed, forcing me to think strategically every time I had to get through a door, open a safe, etc. All hacking was also done in real time, meaning that the world around you doesn't go on a lunch break just because you need to get though a door, you will still be shot at. This game did a LOT of things right, and even if you rated this game a 0, you must admit that it had something that every game could learn from. Expand
  6. Jan 16, 2012
    A game that could have been one of my favorites of all time, dragged down by unforgivably awful boss battles. Those of you who plan of stealthing through this entire game will be disappointed to learn that your skills will be useless in boss fights and crippling in an event towards the end. Make no mistake, this is a game that players should not pass up, but be prepared to deal with someA game that could have been one of my favorites of all time, dragged down by unforgivably awful boss battles. Those of you who plan of stealthing through this entire game will be disappointed to learn that your skills will be useless in boss fights and crippling in an event towards the end. Make no mistake, this is a game that players should not pass up, but be prepared to deal with some frustrations in this otherwise phenomenal game. Expand
  7. Apr 13, 2012
    Deus Ex Human Revolution is a great game with an awesome cyberpunk atmosphere but the technical problems with stuttering on the PC destroy the experience. Eidos and Square Enix never managed to fully fix those. With the latest patches and drivers it got a bit better but the stutter is not gone entirely.
  8. Nov 28, 2012
    The original Deus Ex was one of those games that sucks you in and leaves a lasting impact that even 12 years later has you occasionally nodding with nostalgic approval at the fond memories of playing it. So it's obvious that when I heard about the new prequel that was supposed to capture that same vibe, it was a must have. I didn't just invest in the game, I chose my new PC on the basisThe original Deus Ex was one of those games that sucks you in and leaves a lasting impact that even 12 years later has you occasionally nodding with nostalgic approval at the fond memories of playing it. So it's obvious that when I heard about the new prequel that was supposed to capture that same vibe, it was a must have. I didn't just invest in the game, I chose my new PC on the basis that it could run this game. And sure, it's good, it's occasionally fun and the world is absolutely brimming over with little interesting details like conversations, emails and props that make it appear living and breathing. I love the stealth feature where the camera goes third person when hiding behind walls and objects, and the visual aesthetics and music aren't a letdown. However, when I got near the end of the game, I either got bored or got a bout of gamer fatigue, and I would argue that if a game ever lets you experience that, then it's not worthy a 9 or an 8. It's a good game - no doubt about that - but the experience I had was nowhere near that of the original 2000 release. If you haven't played any game in the series, go get the original. It's on Steam and it's cheap. If you've played that one and want to pick this one up, prepare to be - if not very, then a little disappointed. Expand
  9. Sep 15, 2011
    The atmosphere is incredible, as are the locales, but there are just too many issues with the game to give it praise. The character animations (and the occasional voice-over) are very poor, which account for a quite a lot of the interactions in the game. When they take you out of the immersion, it effects everything else.

It almost feels as though the game was made for stealth, and

It almost feels as though the game was made for stealth, and stealth only. Firefights are extremely clunky, and once you engage in one, you might as well cross your fingers and hope you saved recently.

I also felt the progression was very linear, for what initially appears to be a sandbox style game. At the 20 hour mark, I simply gave up and sold the game. Being a new parent, my nights are limited to only a couple of hours to myself, so after eating up 2 solid weeks of personal time, I can safely say I got my money's worth. I recommend this to anyone who is a HUGE fan of stealth based games, but if you're looking for action, steer clear.
  10. Oct 19, 2011
    A solid game, but something was lacking overall to make this great. The good: The augmentation variety was awesome and fun to play with, the gaming style (Stealth or Guns Blazing) was refreshing, the side quests added to the game in a good way, the graphics and environmental dark and gold tone were awesome, the character dialog was well written, and the weapon variety and upgrading wasA solid game, but something was lacking overall to make this great. The good: The augmentation variety was awesome and fun to play with, the gaming style (Stealth or Guns Blazing) was refreshing, the side quests added to the game in a good way, the graphics and environmental dark and gold tone were awesome, the character dialog was well written, and the weapon variety and upgrading was satisfying. The bad: the story was lacking a little and could have been more captivating by showing and setting up new levels or important situations, there were quite a few loose ends in the story that were never fully explained which was disappointing, the voice acting didn't sync very well with the character's facial animation (almost a travesty sometimes), the connection between the characters was fairly dull and forced (besides Sarif and Jensen), and some of the graphic textures and sky overlays were not good for a DX11 game. Would I buy this game again? Probably, but timing and the release date is everything nowadays. Expand
  11. Nov 16, 2012
    This game is interesting. It should really be called "Hacking Simulator 2.0: Now With Stealth!" It seems like hacking is the solution to EVERYTHING. Locked door? Hack it. Security camera? Hack it. Hostile robots patrolling? Hack them. Turrets? Hack them. Lasers? Hack them. Computers? Hack them. Hacking gives you xp, too, so there's never any reason NOT to hack stuff. Even in the final bossThis game is interesting. It should really be called "Hacking Simulator 2.0: Now With Stealth!" It seems like hacking is the solution to EVERYTHING. Locked door? Hack it. Security camera? Hack it. Hostile robots patrolling? Hack them. Turrets? Hack them. Lasers? Hack them. Computers? Hack them. Hacking gives you xp, too, so there's never any reason NOT to hack stuff. Even in the final boss (UGH the bosses!!!) I was able to hack at my leisure.
    That would be fine if the hacking were fun, but it really gets annoying. Especially since the % chance of detection is completely ridiculous. I kid you not, when attempting to hack a 35% detection node, I counted being detected 7 times in a row. That wasn't unusual, too.
    The stealth can be rather fun at times, but the AI is absolutely ridiculously bad. Enemy 1 will be facing away from me, and I'll take down enemy 2 standing 10 feet behind him and get away with it. Enemy 2 will gasp and grunt as I snap his arm, drop his gun which clatters to the ground, and get slammed on his back on the ground, while enemy 1 is none the wiser.
    The game prides itself on letting you play how you want, but combat doesn't feel like a valid choice. It feels like you failed at stealth. Also, most of the guns are worthless. The standard 10mm pistol is way easier to kill enemies with than the shotgun, machine pistol, assault rifle, heavy rifle, and even the sniper rifle. Plus, you won't get the cool guns (grenade launcher, rocket launcher, plasma rifle, laser rifle) until right before the end of the game anyway. At least I didn't, and I explored everything and did every side mission.
    The plot is interesting, but way too busy. This person is behind it, but no they have an excuse, so THIS person is behind it, but no they have an excuse too, rinse and repeat. The "bad guy" changes so often in this game that eventually you just zone out. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I like what they were going for here, but I don't think they quite hit it. Couple that with how much everyone raved about this game before I played it, and I ended up disappointed. You may like it, though. It's certainly not a BAD game.
  12. Sep 8, 2011
    A great game and well worth a play through. The soundtrack is fantastic, the story isn't bad, and the character you play is a dude. I also really liked the art neuveau style clothing and indoor architecture used in the game. There really is a lot to like about this title but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list of favorites.

I enjoyed the stealth aspect, it didn't focus on it, but gave

I enjoyed the stealth aspect, it didn't focus on it, but gave you the option all the way through to go completely undetected, it was very basic though. Pathfinding was a bit a joke as well really... Can't hack this keypad? Well, there's probably a convenient ventilation shaft you can climb through to access this person's office, or police armoury, or high level governmental official's house, or something... Are security set-ups really that lax? The cover system was pretty similar to Mass Effect 2 but it was a lot less forgiving, you really couldn't take many shots before going down (that's not a necessarily a bad thing though). You had to make sure you got your headshot aimings spot on because the enemies didn't give you a second either way to take aim. Unfortunately that made me go for the nicely overpowered cinematic takedown route. You could literally run at someone, tap Q in reach and watch as the protagonist lays a swift roundhouse or chokehold to the badguy, regardless of their armour, rendering him out for the count - the count being, forever, or until a buddy finds them and cracks out the smelling salts - and after realising the last "energy cell" (used for takedowns) runs out, it recharges, there was no need to use my stun gun or tranquilizer rifle for most of the game. The social aug that allowed you to analyze and and influence personality gave a nice touch to the NPC character interactions at key parts of the game. However It really didn't seem like any of this made a big difference to the outcome of the story (if any at all) it was all just a means to an end. If you couldn't get someone to do something for you, you'd go ninja vent crawling and cinematic take-downing until you did it yourself. Which to be fair, made you feel like a bad-ass anyway!

I've probably focused on the bad aspects too much, the game is far from bad, my memories of Deus Ex have just lead me to want the perfect game from the series! This is definitely a worthwhile addition anyway!
  13. Sep 14, 2011
    I climbed through an f-ton of vents and shafts. I ran around invisible a lot. Hell, I didn't even need a real gun except for the out of place boss fights. Interesting, but graphically dated game. It's not open world-e, and the open world-esque parts just make you feel claustrophobic. The voice of Sarif sounds familiar.
  14. Sep 16, 2011
    If you like "rpgs" that tell a good story then this game delivers. The plot and the environment were very good. Graphics, sound and gameplay were decent. I have to admit at the beginning this game seemed WAY too easy. The main flaws in this game are the ease at which you can avoid the enemy by hiding behind a box (even though the guy is right beside you) and the combat (it's too easyIf you like "rpgs" that tell a good story then this game delivers. The plot and the environment were very good. Graphics, sound and gameplay were decent. I have to admit at the beginning this game seemed WAY too easy. The main flaws in this game are the ease at which you can avoid the enemy by hiding behind a box (even though the guy is right beside you) and the combat (it's too easy to run and hide without having the enemy chase you).

However as you progress further and further the story and missions tend to make up for a lot of the easy combat. This game is NOT a perfect 10 and although some of the negative reviews have valid points this game doesn't deserve a negative score either. I think a lot of people got so hyped up at seeing the trailers that they might have been expecting a little too much out of this game..
  15. Dec 13, 2015
    This wasn't the successor we wanted. It's not a bad game, but it's not a substantial step-up from the first Deus-Ex. The graphics are substantially better, obvsly. But the game world is basically the same size. You'll go to Hong Kong, for example, and there's not substantially more to explore than there was in the first DX. The game just wasn't that big, basically. It's not an open worldThis wasn't the successor we wanted. It's not a bad game, but it's not a substantial step-up from the first Deus-Ex. The graphics are substantially better, obvsly. But the game world is basically the same size. You'll go to Hong Kong, for example, and there's not substantially more to explore than there was in the first DX. The game just wasn't that big, basically. It's not an open world game, which is fine. But when I'm lead by the nose from location to location, I want to at least feel mildly overwhelmed by the expanse laying before me. In DX:HR, I felt more like I just entered a COD stage.

The augmentation system is alright, I guess. It's been a while since I played this game, so I don't recall exactly how I felt about that at the time. All I know is that it didn't stand out in my mind as either good or bad. I guess I was pretty apathetic towards it.

I'll give the game credit for the strategy aspect - it really did present you with multiple opportunities to negotiate any given obstacle. If you were good at hacking, for example, you could alter the turrets/robots to attack your foes. Or maybe stealth was your bag, and you opted to shimmy past all the bad guys. Or maybe you just straight-up went in guns-blazing. Whatever the case, you really could contour the game to suit your play style.

The absolute worse aspect of the game, however, was the boss battles. There were a few of these thrown into the mix, and they srsly detracted from the experience. For one thing, they were extremely difficult. Also, if you didn't possess the necessary resources to overcome your foe, then you were pretty much out of luck. Basically, you had to download a third party mod that allowed you to cheat your way through the encounter. Pretty lame, tbh.
  16. Oct 4, 2011
    I do not understand what I was carried away in this game ... There is nothing that I love, but ... I was fascinated by the game. Though then I realized that the game is definitely not for me, and she cons abound.
  17. Sep 11, 2011
    First things first. The game is generally enjoyable and I would recommend it for someone that has money to burn. However, I did have lots of issues that shouldn't have been there for such a polished game. On PC, the graphics sucked balls for me. I could not set the filtering above Trilinear without the game crashing and telling me to launch the setup tool. I have a 9800GTX card whichFirst things first. The game is generally enjoyable and I would recommend it for someone that has money to burn. However, I did have lots of issues that shouldn't have been there for such a polished game. On PC, the graphics sucked balls for me. I could not set the filtering above Trilinear without the game crashing and telling me to launch the setup tool. I have a 9800GTX card which can generally deliver great framerates on higher settings. Once I configured the highest settings possible with no crashes, the graphics were worse than Half Life 2 (2004ish). 5 hours into the game I began to get frustrated with where the storyline was going. They made it clear from the very beginning that there was a conspiracy, but I didn't start to feel any sense of resolution or feel like my questions were beginning to be answered until the last 3 hours of playtime. I found myself constantly scrounging for ammunition and was scared to spend upgrade kits on my guns in case I no longer was able to use those guns. Other than that, I had a fun 21 hours and had an overall pleasant experience. Expand
  18. Sep 13, 2011
    It has been over 10 years since the original Deus Ex was released and I was expecting more from Human Revolution. On a whole the game isn't bad but it doesn't offer anything new or innovative and feels like a missed opportunity for something much better. The graphics look a bit dated (especially some of the character models) but the game world is generally well designed and immersive. TheIt has been over 10 years since the original Deus Ex was released and I was expecting more from Human Revolution. On a whole the game isn't bad but it doesn't offer anything new or innovative and feels like a missed opportunity for something much better. The graphics look a bit dated (especially some of the character models) but the game world is generally well designed and immersive. The voice acting is good but is let down by the poor facial and character animations. There are several different ways to complete most objectives which generally keeps things interesting. You are rewarded with more XP for using non-lethal weapons and the game tries to encourage a stealthy approach but if you prefer to go in guns blazing the combat is a little disappointing. The AI is pretty average and the gunplay doesn't feel satisfying. The cover system is a great addition to the stealth side of game - it is smooth and easy to use. However it makes the combat even easier than it already is and you can just take cover and pick off guards one by one as they rather stupidly charge towards you. The augmentation system is a bit of a let down. I was really struggling to spend my praxis points towards the end of the game because some of the possible upgrades just seem a waste of time. There are some cool ones - being able to float from rooftops and stun groups of guards, throw heavy vending machines and smash through walls are great. On the other hand, some of the stealth and hacking options serve no real use and seem thrown in to make up the numbers. I really didn't like the boss fights. I've nothing against them if they are done right but Human Revolution's are just rubbish. Play the game and you'll see what I mean. They mostly involve running, taking a few shots at the boss and repeating. My main gripe about Human Revolution is that my choices in the game don't seem to have any consequence. In the original, if I went in to a mission guns blazing and no mercy it would upset certain characters but impress others. In Human Revolution I can break in to occupied apartments without the owner batting an eyelid. I can gun down the staff of an entire police station or murder all the patrons of a nightclub and as soon as you get outside the building, nobody cares. There are a few instances where not killing someone or helping a character will have a yield a minor reward later on but those choices don't seem to have any impact on the main story - at the very end you are presented with the four different endings regardless of the path you took through the game. Worse still, the possible endings and their implications are spelled out to you (twice) before you push one of four BUTTONS to end the game. I was really hoping that my actions throughout the game would dictate the ending or at least determine the endings I could achieve. No such luck. I got 35 hours of play out of Human Revolution, though I did complete all the side quests I could find and did a lot of exploring. If you just blitz through the story you'd be finished in 15 hours or so. Since you get all four endings on a plate at the end regardless of your approach I wouldn't find a replay very rewarding. Expand
  19. Sep 18, 2011
    Very good game. The versatility of options in combat, that made the original so good, are ever present here. That is its biggest winner, the rest of its good points come with the inevitable comparing to its predescesor, that its good, but not as good. I guess with the lofty expectations of Deus Ex, anything but amazing gives a bad wrap. Compare it to many fps titles around nowadays andVery good game. The versatility of options in combat, that made the original so good, are ever present here. That is its biggest winner, the rest of its good points come with the inevitable comparing to its predescesor, that its good, but not as good. I guess with the lofty expectations of Deus Ex, anything but amazing gives a bad wrap. Compare it to many fps titles around nowadays and this is, pants down, worth your money, go buy it now.

The story is good, but lacked the twists, turns and suspense of the original. The graphical polish isnt there. In places I really feel the designers and writers wanted more impact from moral decision making. This for me could be seen in the games culmination at the end. The fact you could quick save the game, choose among 4? outcomes, watch the video, hit f8, then choose another in seconds. No finality, which lead to a lack of replayability, for me.

One of my biggest beefs was the atmosphere created through level design. The original included a third major city to explore in paris, this distinct third location really blew your mind back then in emphasising the scale of the story. I found it really immersed me. This had me immersed right up to the return to detroit?, detroit then china was good, but it needed one more distinct city, hub of quests, to explore and make it great. I would have liked a combo of picus studios with a unique city and scrap singapore. The remote ocean-base was great, that was a real winner.

The hacking mini-game was alrite up to the revisit to china, i hacked everything and anything I could. I felt it needed maybe a lock pick (especially conisdering the original with the autokey tool) in a mini-game format, or maybe make hacking vid cameras/turrets/robots a mini-game.

Save this for the end where nobody reads it eh? ok! BIGGEST BEEF = WHY NOT INCORPORATE MORE OF THE ORIGINAL STORY??????!!!!!!!!!!!! My god, why not fit the denton brothers in here somhow? It baffles my mind from a story writers point of view this is such a treasure trove of amazing 'blow your mind' tie ins with the original. And the game has SOOO much scope for these tie ins and they did it almost no justice, thats probably my biggest beef, but no it isnt, the atmosphere is, LOL. I really shldnt complain about story considering the fricking junk that comes out of game makers nowadays, like omg my imported pet giraffe meat could write a better story then that kind of story.

The most important thing for me, is all being said and done, im happy with this being what it is in the series, its a fine addition and im really excited with the DLC content from a story perspective. I hope to see alot of unique locations and story tie ins that I greatly reckon was planned but got cut in trying to push it out the door for consumers.
  20. Dec 19, 2012
    While this game is definitely better than Invisible War, I can't help feeling dissappointed. There were so much stupid game mechanics. For example, I would have rather got melee weapons than pre-captured takedown animations which get old after seeing them once, not to mention that you lose energy while performing them. How can military-grade cyber augmentations run out of energy whenWhile this game is definitely better than Invisible War, I can't help feeling dissappointed. There were so much stupid game mechanics. For example, I would have rather got melee weapons than pre-captured takedown animations which get old after seeing them once, not to mention that you lose energy while performing them. How can military-grade cyber augmentations run out of energy when knocking down a single guard? Another thing I absolutely hated were the boss battles. Why the hell did they have to include boss battles with no alternate methods of progression on a game based on freedom? The storyline was good, but no match to original Deus Ex. That pretty much sums the whole game: It's good, but sub-par compared to DX1. Expand
  21. Jul 12, 2014
    The whole "you can choose not to be lethal thing," let's just call it what it is. It's the developers being too lazy to come up with convincing bad guys with convincing motivation that the player will actually want to shoot. So instead it tries to guilt-trip you for killing a virtual video game person, and tries to use that guilt to convince you that you owe it something, and thus shouldThe whole "you can choose not to be lethal thing," let's just call it what it is. It's the developers being too lazy to come up with convincing bad guys with convincing motivation that the player will actually want to shoot. So instead it tries to guilt-trip you for killing a virtual video game person, and tries to use that guilt to convince you that you owe it something, and thus should keep playing and give it a good review. That's prettymuch the entire game

The persuasion sequences, while I'm a fan of them in theory, I didn't like their implementation in this game. The characters all act like whiny teenage drama queens and bear no resemblance to real people.

Overall, a game shouldn't try to make up for being mediocre by being smooth and easy to play. I don't like games because they're smooth and easy to get through, I like them because they're fun and interesting. When a game is genuinely fun and interesting, it doesn't have to be all that smooth and user-friendly just to get you to continue playing. That shouldn't be your main motivation or even your secondary or tertiary motivation, and it's certainly nothing for a game to be proud of. The meat is in the content, and Deus Ex is lacking
  22. Sep 28, 2014
    Good game, but there are some bad things.. AI is so stupid, handgun is more precise than sniper, good weapons arrive when the game is almost over. Many unskippable scenes...
  23. Sep 26, 2013
    I like it, but it's got some REALLY annoying stuff in it. Like the fact that when an enemy spots you he immediately alerts everyone else annoying yes, but it is a brilliant game.
  24. Aug 26, 2015
    As a huge fan of the original I approached this version of Deus Ex the same way that I had with Invisible war.... this is not made by Ion Storm and it cannot live up to the legend. Suffice to say I was not far from the truth. This game is nowhere near the original when it comes to the sheer scale of the story and gameplay but .... and that is a BIG BUT: THIS GAME IS GREAT.

Let me start

Let me start at the beginning. DEHR is a console port that had issues to begin with. It suffered from the Splinter Cell / Hitman fanboy influence but fortunately the guys in Montreal kept that to a minimum and gave us a solid game worthy of the Deus Ex name. The combat is a bit clunky and the sneaking could use a few touches here and there when it comes to sound detection.... yeah I could knock over a barrel and the guards would not even turn around. And the items are a bit ordinary. In the first DE you got this feeling of urgency where everyone is ill and terrorists threaten the survival of ... well everyone. HR however keeps things personal to the point where you are chasing your "EX-Girlfriends" killers. That didn't really help me get pulled in.... never liked that princess saving story line in mario so I don't see why it should be in DEHR.
    All that aside I had a tone of fun playing it and I don't see why anyone else would not. Things to note, long loading times, drops in frame rate in the vanilla version, low textures, clunky controls and that 3rd person cover mechanic does not belong in DEHR.
    The good parts: Lots of exploration, sneaking and stunning, lots of different approaches to the same situation and a good play time of 28 hours.

If you like your games immersive and romantic then this is your kind of game. It loves itself and the care the developers took to make it shows. If you are a cold heart-ed gun shooting, soldier loving gamer then this is not your bag.

Refer to Deus EX and Deus EX Invisible War.
    JC Denton lives forever.
  25. Jul 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not a fan of stealth games. That said, I have to say that I enjoyed Deus Ex. The game mechanisms were very well done for this type of game. The difficulty was OK: it was challenging but not frustrating, perhaps apart from the boss fights, all of which were under a minute if you followed the same routine (buff up, a couple of grenades, finish of with a round of headshots).

Another negative thing was the way the game progressed. Towards the end it got monotonous. Go to this place, hack this, hide here, hack hack, hide, perform a take down, etc. Perhaps it didn't make me quite playing, but i started using the automatic unlock kits instead of hacking, and instead of sitting quiet and observing the beat of the guards i preferred to bring a hacked turret with me so it could do the work.

I didn't follow the promotional campaign before the games release, i didn't read the novel nor the comic book, so perhaps i missed out on something, but i didn't get why would people protest against augmentations. The player just doesn't know. It if because augmentations give an unfair advantage to some? Well, so do cars. And, like augmentations, not everybody can afford them, and they are tied to certain permanent costs (gasoline, hello?). Yeah, I get that getting rid of a car is much easier than an implant, but nonetheless. And what about the claims against science and technology in general? It just seemed to me like flimsy at best. I believe that it would have been more interesting if they had done this in a way that would tear the player into a choice of a lesser evil. Here, we have corporate greed vs. sheer technophobia, because that's how I see all these arguments that people should evolve without the help of technology. Fine, go back to your caves, without these degenerating technological advancements such as the alphabet, medicine or refrigerators. That said, the endings were weak for the same reasons. The choices between embrace the ideas of a morally dubious member of a world-wide conspiracy and unlimited power for corporations are both as bad. Perhaps it would have been better to leave the moral dilemmas out of the game?

Well, maybe the positive: graphics were OK, though kinda outdated. The cities, however, were fantastically designed. Sound was great, as was the voice acting, apart from the lead actor. This is not a jab at the actor, but rather at the convention of these gruff low voices (think Bale's batman growl), which is irritating, because, well... people just don't talk like that. Even people with low and gruff voices don't talk like that, with the possible exception of a dehydrated Tom Waits.

Despite rambling so long about the negative sides of the game, i actually is decent, though not without its flaws. However, its worth the time.
  26. May 3, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my experience with DE:HR, but I can't help but feel it's more popular than it deserves, the story is consistently pleasing throughout, it's what kept me playing to be honest, I didn't enjoy combat and tried to avoid this at all costs, sadly thanks to certain compulsory boss fights I couldn't use this approach throughout and this ruined my time with the game.Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my experience with DE:HR, but I can't help but feel it's more popular than it deserves, the story is consistently pleasing throughout, it's what kept me playing to be honest, I didn't enjoy combat and tried to avoid this at all costs, sadly thanks to certain compulsory boss fights I couldn't use this approach throughout and this ruined my time with the game. The game world is also very detailed and very rewarding for people like myself who like to explore every corner of the map. I can't fault the graphics or sound in any way either. All in all a good game in most respects, but I can't help but feel cheated by being offered the option of stealth only to have this snapped up at the tedious boss fights. Expand
  27. Jan 22, 2012
    A little overrated... I enjoyed it, especially how there were always many ways to get through somewhere, but the RPG elements are very weak. The story is alright, but it's a little cliched and predictable at times. At times the game got a bit dull, but it was worth persevering with. Overall an enjoyable experience, but certainly nothing special.
  28. Mar 3, 2012
    I purchased this game when released, and overall, my experience with the game has been by and large, a positive experience. The graphics are impressive, and I did not experience any significant bugs. The action is for the most part flows at a fairly quick clip, but the "hacking" of terminals becomes a rather mundane task. The story lines are not bad, but are predictable and somewhatI purchased this game when released, and overall, my experience with the game has been by and large, a positive experience. The graphics are impressive, and I did not experience any significant bugs. The action is for the most part flows at a fairly quick clip, but the "hacking" of terminals becomes a rather mundane task. The story lines are not bad, but are predictable and somewhat humorous at times. One of the very first things I did notice when firing up the game for the first time was the lifelessness. Cars do not move, and has the traffic flow of North Korea - none at all. People aimlessly walk around, and the whole vibe of the cities seem, well, lifeless. Enemies are similar throughout, and while challenging at times, the mechanics are the same. Hide behind this, shoot that. Not that is a negative, but adding that to the lifelessness makes the experience, well, weird. Still, I would recommend this game, but not at the price I purchased it for. Expand
  29. Aug 21, 2013
    Much like the first Deus Ex, this game feels quite flawed and incomplete. Much about he game also leaves you feeling disconnected: the voice acting, the character's behaviors, the truncated settings, the clumsy combat and nonsensical storyline.

If you want a game like this, I'd suggest just playing through Vampire the Masquarade Bloodlines again. But if you've already gone through all the clans and combat styles, then maybe check this game out.
  30. Aug 12, 2013
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a ton of potential, but ultimately falls flat in too many areas to warrant a recommendation. I've never played previous Deus Ex games, so I'm reacting to this one purely on its own merits. I did a full playthrough, completing the main story and most of the side quests in about 19 hours.

The qualities that kept me engaged for that much time were the

The qualities that kept me engaged for that much time were the impeccably designed world and the extremely engaging atmosphere. The Blade Runner-esque setting is appealing and visually striking. I was slightly put off by the extreme orangeness of everything, but eventually that just became part of the world and I stopped paying it much attention. It's a credit to the artists and the sound design team (and of course the composer) that Deus Ex provides such a compelling experience. In fact, it's solely because of their brilliant work that the game is worth playing. There are a lot of major flaws in other areas that almost, but not quite, ruin everything.

Foremost among these problems are the combat mechanics. Deus Ex is not a good first person shooter, even though the designers give you the freedom to run and gun to your heart's content. A couple of huge issues kept me frustrated throughout. First, many of the enemies you encounter are complete and utter bullet sponges. "Heavies" appear to be wearing nothing but a Kevlar vest and a helmet, yet they can absorb hundreds of point blank rounds from a Gatling gun. At the same time, they can take you down with about 2 seconds worth of gunfire. You, the augmented super soldier with an invisibility cloak and retractable forearm sword blades. It just doesn't make sense and it's not fun at all.

After repeated failed attempts at any given battle, I often resorted to hand to hand stealth-based combat. This tends to work quite well, but the very fact that it does ruins the combat experience even more. The heavy that gave me so many problems with my Gatling gun could be taken down with a single tap of the Q key, resulting in an arm lock and a punch to the jaw. What a joke.

You'll still run into constant frustration even if you adopt a 100% stealth-based strategy. One highly amusing encounter I had involved sneaking up to two Chinese gangsters. For some reason they didn't notice me crouching literally a foot away, so I triumphantly hit Q, expecting a satisfying double takedown. Instead, my battery meter beeped, indicating that I didn't have enough power to execute the move. This made me literally laugh out loud, imagining the absurdity of the scenario if it played out in real life.

Adam: "I have remained undetected! Wait for it. Wait for it. NOW!"
    *beeeeeeeeeeep*
    Gangsters: "What was that sound? Hey, who's that guy crouching over there?"

Thankfully, the game isn't real life, so I just chowed down an energy bar and successfully smashed the bad guys heads together a moment later. I don't know who on the design team decided that a genetically enhanced super soldier should run on a few AA batteries, but they should probably look for another line of work.

Moving on. The boss battles in Deus Ex have been much maligned, and I can mostly see why. They did provide a somewhat welcome injection of strategy into the combat system, but in the end all of them could be resolved with a few grenade launcher blasts. I found that trying a more finesse-based approach of dodging and shotgunning led to pretty much instant death, and I never had the patience to hone my skills when the brute force path provided such an immediate solution.

Second only to the combat mechanics in terms of immersion-breaking were the awful cutscenes. The character models are terribly low quality and the lip-syncing is very poor. I really felt like I was watching 2000-era technology at work here. Almost any recent game that I can think of provides a better experience in this department. That being said, the voice acting is generally excellent, although our main guy's prolonged "I'm Batman" impression occasionally became tiresome.

Last but not least, I found the city hubs to be fairly generic. There is very little difference in the game between Detroit, China and Montreal (although I did get a kick out of the "futurized" Montreal skyline). I would have liked to see different colors, more vegetation, different types of people, etc. Anything, really, to differentiate the various locales and make them seem more special and exotic.

To sum up: I had really mixed feelings about Deus Ex. The fictional world is so well realized that it makes it possible to overlook a lot of problems. But, there are a LOT of problems. In the end, I just didn't enjoy myself that much and I can't see myself ever going back to play again. There just isn't enough variety in the gameplay or plot to keep me interested. It's too bad, because I'd genuinely love to spend more time in the Deus Ex universe. Maybe the next game in the series will provide a more complete and satisfying experience
  31. Sep 19, 2011
    Deus Ex Human Revolution, well at first i've thought it was going to be a **** but playing it I realized that the game is actually good, of course sometimes the game becomes boring cause 80% of the game is about hackhing that and this. Several features i don't like about the game: the alarm, detection system of the AI: bots are really stupid and they don't represent a threat (you justDeus Ex Human Revolution, well at first i've thought it was going to be a **** but playing it I realized that the game is actually good, of course sometimes the game becomes boring cause 80% of the game is about hackhing that and this. Several features i don't like about the game: the alarm, detection system of the AI: bots are really stupid and they don't represent a threat (you just gotta have to use any weapon with the a silencer attached); the takedown system: while you takedown an enemy (by killing or neutralize him) the game froze and the other enemies near you literally stands and look at you taking down the target... very disappointing. Hacking system is good, i really like it but why hacking is improved by augmentation and not skills ? (like in Deus Ex 1 where hacking was considered as a skill).
    Overall the game is not bad, (considering that nowdays games are firstly produced for consoles, and consoles HAVE RUINED gaming experience) sure it dosen't compete with Deus Ex 1 but it is way better of Deus Ex 2... My advice: play it!
  32. Jan 31, 2012
    Something went wrong. I've read a lot of positive reviews about this game but I wasn't so into it as I thought I will be. I don't quite follow the story - it simply does not seem interesting for me. Dialogs are average and animtalks are week. What I do like is the concept of the game, its art style/design and finisher animations - being a futuristic, "improved" badass feels good. HavingSomething went wrong. I've read a lot of positive reviews about this game but I wasn't so into it as I thought I will be. I don't quite follow the story - it simply does not seem interesting for me. Dialogs are average and animtalks are week. What I do like is the concept of the game, its art style/design and finisher animations - being a futuristic, "improved" badass feels good. Having multiple options in eliminating enemies feels good. But hiding curled up in the corner in order not to being shot feels,,, well I must say that if I would have such powers I wouldn't act like a total wimp. And what's with the old-school diablo-style inventory ?! He doesn't wear any backpack anyways?! Expand
  33. Nov 20, 2011
    Deus Ex suffers from its own brilliance, unfortunately. From the moment i started playing I loved the sense of freedom, playing a Jensen who did not kill if possible, and moved silently through the shadows under his enemies noses had an unexpected thrill, and the world of Deus Ex is brilliantly deep, presenting many interesting questions to the player. However, several relatively pettyDeus Ex suffers from its own brilliance, unfortunately. From the moment i started playing I loved the sense of freedom, playing a Jensen who did not kill if possible, and moved silently through the shadows under his enemies noses had an unexpected thrill, and the world of Deus Ex is brilliantly deep, presenting many interesting questions to the player. However, several relatively petty flaws made this game a bit of a chore to play.
    Human Revolution presents the player with a beautifully realised world at the start of humanity's move towards body and mind enhancement with technology. The cities players travel through are fascinating, with an abundance of hidden areas, side quests and a wide variety of routes into any situation. I never played the original Deus Ex games, but i instantly grasped the world of Human Revolution. The enhancements that humans, including the player character, Adam Jensen, have turned to are not the slick, barely visible improvements of other sci-fi series', they are crudely bolted on as replacements to whole limbs or eyes, or implanted into the brains of users. Despite this lack of subtlety, the enhancements are beautifully and lovingly modeled in game, providing some of the best graphics in the game. Unfortunately, graphics is one of the main weaknesses of this game. The biggest flaw of the game in this department is how demanding it is on your system. Playing on a pc that can flawlessly run both Mass Effect games at max settings and all the Assassins Creed games at fairly high settings without issue, i experienced game breakingly bad performance in Human Revolution until the graphics were set to minimum... therefore any graphical beauty of this game was lost on my PC. The graphical style of the game is undeniably well thought out and beautiful, but it could definitely use some love with smoother, more up to date graphics and an engine that does not eat system resources so badly. The gameplay of this game is a mixed bunch. The RPG elements are very impressive, with every upgrade to Jensen's enhancements having a noticeable effect on gameplay. The inventory is cleverly managed in a system new to me. Having such a limit on inventory space led to a lot of planning how to fit things in, and demanded that i chose my style of play, as i could not carry more than a handful of weapons, and had to leave space for health items and stims if i wanted to survive. This is a huge improvement over the typical unlimited inventories of many great RPGs such as MassEffect1 and KotOR. The stealth aspects of this game are equally well designed, with a wide network of ventilation shafts and secret entrances throughout the game. Moving past patrolling enemies gave a particular thrill, as did stealth kills or knockouts. Unfortunately, i could never really forget that all "secret" paths and entrances are not only in plain sight, they were all designed for that exact reason by the developers. The buildings of Deus Ex do not require the players ingenuity to find the safest route from A to B, the developers designed the building from the start to have a safe route. This is an unavoidable flaw of stealth games. The shooting felt fairly slow and unresponsive, it has not moved on in the era of Call of Duty and other modern fps games. While fans of older shooters may enjoy this, the shooting feels noticeably flawed in the eyes of the modern generation of gamers. By far the biggest weakness of the game is the Boss fights, which are exactly that. There is no way to escape, attack them stealthily etc... they must be confronted in an open fight, leaving stealth players unprepared and horribly outgunned.
    The storyline is well realised, although i got a bit confused at one point in the early game. Most of the characters are deep and well scripted, and the story compliments the setting very well. All in all, this is a worthwhile game for any fan of RPG games and older shooters, but fans of linear modern shooters may feel frustrated by the lack of guidance and strong RPG elements, as well as the weak shooting system. This could definately open the doors for more Deus Ex games, although a graphical overhaul may be required.
  34. Sep 17, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game in many ways, however the boss fights - #2 and beyond - are ridiculously dependent on build type. Had more thought been put into allowing for multiple ways to defeat the bosses. like the first boss (which was hard but not absurdly so), then this score would be much higher. I love the cyberpunk setting, the stealth mechanics and the story. Its a great game butI really enjoyed this game in many ways, however the boss fights - #2 and beyond - are ridiculously dependent on build type. Had more thought been put into allowing for multiple ways to defeat the bosses. like the first boss (which was hard but not absurdly so), then this score would be much higher. I love the cyberpunk setting, the stealth mechanics and the story. Its a great game but the climax is unavailable unless you have some very specific abilities. Expand
  35. Oct 3, 2011
    I'm going to debunk the old deus ex pc fans by saying that a lot of what they are saying is simple nostalgia. You have to remember the old deus ex as a game where the only way to disable someone was to hit them over the back of the head with a pole or stun them. You could not get into a firefight most of the time without ramping up your heavy weapon skills and the tranq bow was an absoluteI'm going to debunk the old deus ex pc fans by saying that a lot of what they are saying is simple nostalgia. You have to remember the old deus ex as a game where the only way to disable someone was to hit them over the back of the head with a pole or stun them. You could not get into a firefight most of the time without ramping up your heavy weapon skills and the tranq bow was an absolute joke. (Remember? You shoot them and then they run around for five minutes until they collapse?) Each mission was the same thing, shoot (or stun) xyb then talk to xyb and then collect or disable something. The levels looked like something a prison inmate would design (I remember the "fort" being a large square with holes in it). They did a brilliant job bringing Deus Ex to life again. Seriously, compare the two and see for yourself. I have three gripes with the game, 1: The atrocious boss fights. 2: The melee system running on little bars of energy(you can't cloak and then disable the enemy without eating an energy bar lol). 3: the enemy has incredible aim and can even hit you behind cover most of the time. WTF Eidos?! Those boss fights will deter any chance you had of getting a majority to enjoy this game till the end. Expand
  36. Jan 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished DE: Human Revolution with mixed feelings. I wanted to like this game, but most of the time I didn't enjoy it very much. I bought this game because of the interesting plot of the previous 2 Deus Ex games. I have to say I am not totally satisfied. First of all, it is very easy to guess what is going on and what is going to happen. This spoiled some of the fun and motivation. Secondly, what comes to freedom of choice, Human Revolution is like DE1: you really have only one. You can choose a playing style that suits you, but you can't affect the course of your character very much. Only in the end you can really choose.

So here comes the number one flaw: there are many missions where you sneak past 30 enemies to meet a big bad boss, just to notice that he/she has moved elsewhere already, or even worse, escapes with a cutscene!! How bad can a game designer be, to make cutscene escapes?

Number two flaw: you can't choose who you work for! I wanted to get rid of that greedy bastard Sarif and his **** Megan right away, but I couldn't!! Pisses me off. DE2 made this really well, but now this system was removed, why?

The game without the plot was rather ok, but kinda repetitive. Sneak/shoot, hack, go thru vents. Repeat 50 times. In short: interesting plot, but not as interesting as in DE1. More limited plot and freedom of choice than in DE2. Basically the same game as DE1, with improved graphics and Metal Gear Solid sneaking.
  37. Sep 2, 2011
    Still a pleasant game... But i was quite disappointed by this game.
    The first DX was done in 2000. Eleven years ago. And this new game give like no innovation at all to the license. Same interractions... no more. Most of the places are just plenty corridors and desktop room with computers to hack,...ect...
    I was waiting more of it.
  38. Jun 3, 2014
    The game is reminiscent of Mass Effect but not half as good. It was mostly aggravating. Always low on ammo and energy while the the bad guys had a never ending supply. Navigating the maps was a pain in the ass as well with their multi freaking levels. The developer could have taken a clue from Dead Space with some way of pointing out the correct direction. I spent 20 minutes at oneThe game is reminiscent of Mass Effect but not half as good. It was mostly aggravating. Always low on ammo and energy while the the bad guys had a never ending supply. Navigating the maps was a pain in the ass as well with their multi freaking levels. The developer could have taken a clue from Dead Space with some way of pointing out the correct direction. I spent 20 minutes at one point trying to locate my destination. I was above it and below it but never could find a way TOO it. At that point I deleted the damned game. It was beyond tedious traversing huge areas. Finally, the load times after being killed, and transitioning areas was beyond annoying. It took forever watching that circle go 'round and 'round and 'round. Wait for the bargain bin. Can't believe that there are so many positive reviews. Folks must be hard up for entertainment, only this game was barely entertaining. Expand
  39. Sep 6, 2012
    I really tried to like this game but when you are forcing yourself to continue playing you know something is not right. Deus Ex Human Revolution is a perfect example of a "jack of all trades, master at none" type of game. The game may offer the player different ways to tackle the problem but none of them work really well. The combat feels stiff, underwhelming and unsatisfying and theI really tried to like this game but when you are forcing yourself to continue playing you know something is not right. Deus Ex Human Revolution is a perfect example of a "jack of all trades, master at none" type of game. The game may offer the player different ways to tackle the problem but none of them work really well. The combat feels stiff, underwhelming and unsatisfying and the stealth feels shallow and linear. The hacking is a mess with its chance-based core and 30 second lockout forcing the player to abuse the quickload button and the conversations though functional and quite innovative feels constricted and more like a tool to advance the story than for you to play around with. Overall the game feels really unpolished and there are a lot of strange design choices here and there. The energy system is a mess, the map-interface is annoying, the boss battles are dumb and the menu-interface is kind of crappy. The fact that you often need specific augments to advance in the route you have taking is also annoying and if you don't feel like backtracking from time to time you will probably walk around with a couple of praxis on you just in case. Making the augment-system much more constricted that it need to be. The game is still decent though and if you can look past its problem there is a meaty action-rpg waiting for you. I should mention that i didn't finish the game (12 hours in) and therefore and i have no idea if the game gets better or worse at the later parts in the game. Expand
  40. Nov 15, 2011
    An enjoyable game, but too derivative with little or none of the innovation we expect from RPG shooters. It's interesting that a lot of the criticism levelled at the first Deus Ex sequel could easily be applied to HR, but wasn't. Like Invisible War, HR is essentially a console version of the first game, much bigger and shinier granted, but with most of the original's RPG elements simplyAn enjoyable game, but too derivative with little or none of the innovation we expect from RPG shooters. It's interesting that a lot of the criticism levelled at the first Deus Ex sequel could easily be applied to HR, but wasn't. Like Invisible War, HR is essentially a console version of the first game, much bigger and shinier granted, but with most of the original's RPG elements simply reduced rather than improved or streamlined.
    The inclusion of end of level bosses did feel out of sync with the rest of the game, but they weren't a huge departure the original. Also, it amazes me that although hours and hours of dialogue must have been recorded for the NPCs, they could only come up with two or three basic animations whilst they delivered their lines! I'd rather have more convincing animation from the characters I encounter in an RPG, that actually matches the speech, rather than hundreds of pointless side-quests that only 10% of people will actually bother attempting.
  41. Feb 23, 2012
    In my humble opinion this is without doubt the most wildly over-rated game I have played many years, You of course may love the game, Everyones different. But To be honest I felt ripped off and bored very quickly, After entering the city ,the story / characters personalities were not absorbing or appealing to my brains gaming reward centre, The story not so much bad just - repetitive,In my humble opinion this is without doubt the most wildly over-rated game I have played many years, You of course may love the game, Everyones different. But To be honest I felt ripped off and bored very quickly, After entering the city ,the story / characters personalities were not absorbing or appealing to my brains gaming reward centre, The story not so much bad just - repetitive, And the world all looks the same to me. It was the sort of game that left me cold, and I was sidetracked all too quickly by better games, I Just lost interest. The game seemed to lack depth and richness at its core .. . I am a great lover and completely absorbed by Bethesda and all manner of different games, but this time I was pulled in by the hype and was let down like a lead balloon. Some Nice graphics, and gimmicks but didn't float my boat. But go make your own mind up :) Expand
  42. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is not for the faint of heart or people looking for a walk in the park. It will challenge you. I liked the combat system, the music, and the atmosphere of the game a lot. The art and graphics were not so good. I thought that it needed a lot more polish.

The game's design is the result of a LOT of iteration and it really shows. The story was mediocre to boring plus it was incredibly linear, though I didn't really mind that too much. What really keeps you playing the game is the combat. It takes a lot of patience and planning to get through from room to room. This gives the game a feeling of length and it's something that makes it drag on just a bit too much. Overall it was a good game and I had fun playing it, but I played it over 6 months and logged some 24 hours into it, so hardly addictive or suspenseful to the point that I couldn't put it down. I usually beat games in a week to two weeks for reference.
  43. Nov 7, 2011
    Another example of wild inflated reviews from the press. This is a very average game, the graphics are average, the voice over/scripting are average, the story is very linear and... average. The most fun I had is stacking up unconscious bodies in amusingly large piles. There are no significant choices to be made, you're the good guy, and the bad guy is bad. The original Deus Ex atAnother example of wild inflated reviews from the press. This is a very average game, the graphics are average, the voice over/scripting are average, the story is very linear and... average. The most fun I had is stacking up unconscious bodies in amusingly large piles. There are no significant choices to be made, you're the good guy, and the bad guy is bad. The original Deus Ex at least made some attempt to branch the story in a meaningful way. The progression system is also pretty much devoid of choice because you will end up with all the worthwhile options maxed anyway, the only decision you make is the order in which you max them.

It's a really average game folks, why the hype?
  44. Feb 6, 2012
    Ok, I have finished playing Human Revolution and I must say my first rating and review was a bit overreacted (I gave 4). On the other hand there is number of issues with this game.

For me the major concern is related to the character moving too fast and total absence of smooth graphics in-game (and itâ
  45. Sep 10, 2012
    This is a very decent game, with a great plot, nice atmosphere, way closer to the first Deus Ex than Invisible war was; and it's probably one of the best console ports I've ever seen so far. So why only 6 ?

Because THIS particular game has been awaited soooo long by most gamers that a lame *CONSOLE* *PORT* just doesn't fit. If you're discovering Deus Ex with this title, it must be fun and pleasing, but when you've enjoyed the first Deus Ex several times, to see it taken to this level of coarseness only for profit, it's just sad and frustrating. I might be a little harsh, but really, I expected more from this game. Way more. Now, let's hope some independent developer will bring some decent alternative to this title; since the gaming industry seems to care too less about quality and too much about profit.
  46. Sep 13, 2011
    This game failed to keep my interest.

- The radiosity was really bad. Lacked color bounce and soft shadows I found that to be hurting the immersion of the game. - The hacking puzzles although maby good on paper, became really annoying and I started to begrudge them. - The AI was stupid and predictable like the AI I've seen on similar PSone games made 10 years ago like syphon filter or
    This game failed to keep my interest.

- The AI was stupid and predictable like the AI I've seen on similar PSone games made 10 years ago like syphon filter or metal gear.

By the time I got to the China hub, I lost interest completely and stopped playing. That was like a week ago. still haven't finished the game. I feel like I just wasted my 50 dollars.
  47. Dec 4, 2011
    THe game is quite overrated. it is interesting, but it is definitely not 10/10 type of game. music is great, offers a lot of option during gameplay, but the game in general very repetitive in many cases. the storyline is amaizing and it feels a bit streched. even though it seems like an open world it really isnt, because htere is so much you can do. also you get to hate the limit ofTHe game is quite overrated. it is interesting, but it is definitely not 10/10 type of game. music is great, offers a lot of option during gameplay, but the game in general very repetitive in many cases. the storyline is amaizing and it feels a bit streched. even though it seems like an open world it really isnt, because htere is so much you can do. also you get to hate the limit of piraxies you can purchase Expand
  48. May 25, 2013
    I never played the original but this game is good, and also overhyped. I like this game but it doesn't deserve the 9's and 10's a lot people and critics are giving it. The combat is clunky and awkward, and although the stealth is some of the best i have seen in a while, only beaten out by Splinter Cell and a few other games, it is way too easy. In Splinter Cell you have to plan every moveI never played the original but this game is good, and also overhyped. I like this game but it doesn't deserve the 9's and 10's a lot people and critics are giving it. The combat is clunky and awkward, and although the stealth is some of the best i have seen in a while, only beaten out by Splinter Cell and a few other games, it is way too easy. In Splinter Cell you have to plan every move and taking out a guard is a severe risk because even four or five rooms down the line a guard can discover the body of one of your victims on accident. Guards would realize some of their men are missing if you take too many of them out and radio to other guards to be on alert making the rest of the game harder. The different alert levels also helps Splenter Cell. In DEHR once you get out of a room nothing else really matters. Bodies are too easy to hide and there are no consciences to taking out guards. You can get into a firefight and kill 6 guys only for the next room to be completely unknown about your presence. Without an alert level for the enemy AI this game is too easy. In SC, If you get caught in one room and have a firefight, the rest of the facility is on alert. Im not saying they should have to fight you every time in DEHR, but in splinter cell guards would act accordingly. They would draw weapons and look in places they usually wouldn't, and would also go and get better weapons and body armor to react to the threat making detection in the game actually mean something and add difficulty. After all this complaining, the story is easily this games best part. Its what keeps me playing even through this games flaws. I would easily recommend the Splinter Cell series along with Dishonored and the Hitman Series over this game, but this game isn't bad. Its just there is stuff a lot better out there. Expand
  49. Jan 11, 2015
    I completed DE:HR Directors Cut in 29.5 hours.

I completed DE:HR Directors Cut in 29.5 hours.

I don't like the colour tint on everything. The only word to describe the graphics is flat, (excluding cut-scenes). The sound and the feel of the guns is not AAA, it's B grade. My biggest complaint though is, it's so slow. Sometimes you are just plodding around and nothing is getting done. Then it moves along a little, and you get that PC game rush. Not over-whelming or brilliant; just oh that moves along, that was almost ok, this is nearly good. Followed by another hour of nothing really happening.

I bet this game has my highest number of time starting it up, because I do ten to thirty minutes get bored and close down. It's so boring sometimes that I have bought and played The Evil Within twice, while playing DE:HR.

Probably my equal biggest gripe though, is getting lost. The maps are quite big. They are often in two halves and linked by a loading screen. You'll get a task, struggle like hell to find and get to it even with a waypoint. Then you'll struggle unbelievably to get back to base. Only to get another task and sent back again. Finding it second time is just as confusing.

Hacking, always hacking. Last mission I must have hacked seventy terminals. It's not really entertainment. If I had more sense I would give up. I have Alien Isolation downloaded and waiting. I have the new Wolfenstein. Eight new games waiting for me. Only I want to get unfinished games out of the way first.

Final complaint being last but not least. This game is full of areas with alarms. Wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah! On and on until you find a panel to switch it off. I mean probabaly 1/5 of the game I was listening to a klaxon in repeat cycle.

Really it's a strong 64% rating. Consider this, it makes you sit through ten minutes of credits for an un-interesting and very short cut scene after. That's a perfect example of the attitude of the whole game.
  50. Aug 30, 2011
    While I realize that the backlash will be severe, I have to agree with many of the other reviewers who believe that this game is being overrated. If you read Tallow's review you will find most of my complaints, and while I am not as harsh as he is on some aspects, I generally found this game to be slightly better than mediocre. I have been playing games for a couple decades now and IWhile I realize that the backlash will be severe, I have to agree with many of the other reviewers who believe that this game is being overrated. If you read Tallow's review you will find most of my complaints, and while I am not as harsh as he is on some aspects, I generally found this game to be slightly better than mediocre. I have been playing games for a couple decades now and I have seen the introduction of most gameplay changes, so I feel confident when I say that Dues Ex HR reveals nothing original in its gameplay, and to a large extent in its setting. While it is acceptable to fail slightly to provide either of these individually, being mediocre at both left me feeling bored halfway through. My major suggestion for these developers is to improve their gameplay because to me it felt stiff and dated. Oh and please stop giving missions to meet someone on one side of the map only to have a five second conversation where they ask you to go back to the other side of the map, and then return of course. This game is better than average, but certainly not genius, brilliant, perfect, original, or unparalleled as some have said it is. Expand
  51. Feb 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i really liked everything about deus ex: human revolution right up untill the end. every thing you had done so far in the game didn't matter in the slightest and each of the endings was pointless seeing as how it had no real effect on you and the decisions you made throughout the game could be completely different to how you decided to end the game. the friggin decide and ending'o'matic was completely stupid, it might have had some effect on the dlc but after that ending the dlc is something that i will never get. Expand
  52. Sep 1, 2011
    To start off I must say the hype and promotions for the game really made me raise the bar for Deus Ex Human Revolution, which ultimately was a let down when it wasn't how I expected. But besides my misconceptions of what I wanted DEHR to be, there were many additions that really boosted the game. **Pros** The game play in DEHR is well done, with the cover-move system benefiting the stealthTo start off I must say the hype and promotions for the game really made me raise the bar for Deus Ex Human Revolution, which ultimately was a let down when it wasn't how I expected. But besides my misconceptions of what I wanted DEHR to be, there were many additions that really boosted the game. **Pros** The game play in DEHR is well done, with the cover-move system benefiting the stealth side of the game as well as the offensive aspect. City hubs and specific mission levels are well crafted and populated to provide both an immersive experience and thought provocative game play, yet certain areas can be quite linear. The size of the city hubs is both a pro and a con; city hubs are well laid out and have a continuous theme, yet there is few side quests for you to find or stumble across which are not fed to you by key characters. Conversations were a nice treat as your choices and its affects seemed to adhere properly to the emotion and tensions of the current situation, even without the social augmentation. **Cons** DEHR's story telling suffers from a tasteless integration of CGI cinematic cut scenes that differ from the game engine greatly, breaking the immersion as the story flips between the two with no smooth transition as opposed to Mass Effect or CoD cut scenes which perform flawlessly. And to add to the sorrow of DEHR's story telling, the facial animations of characters in game lacked feeling and emotion, while also seeming to be mouthing something entirely different from the dialog. Also the story seemed vague on certain details and somewhat copy-paste feel with little uniqueness applied, giving the player the feeling of playing the same story before in another game. The score could have been a little more emotionally packed while the audio engineering was wacky at times, having reverb or varying sound effects applied or lost in character dialog during conversations. **Overall** I give DEHR 7/10 because Square Enix delievered a solid prequel to Deus Ex, but I wish more time would have been spent polishing certain areas as storytelling and facial animation during conversations. Expand
  53. Sep 25, 2011
    The original Deus Ex provides a monumental standard from which to judge its predecessors; its towering example cannot be denied. While the gameplay experience of DX:HR cannot be denied - it kept me occupied for many more hours than most or all of its contemporaries - its depth and scope are deception. In DX, the developers created a universe so vast and nebulous that the player couldThe original Deus Ex provides a monumental standard from which to judge its predecessors; its towering example cannot be denied. While the gameplay experience of DX:HR cannot be denied - it kept me occupied for many more hours than most or all of its contemporaries - its depth and scope are deception. In DX, the developers created a universe so vast and nebulous that the player could affect his or her experience as brutally as he or she chose (I recall killing both Gunther and Anna as early as possible for jollies and being shocked at the reprecussions it ultimately had.) DX:HR makes you think your decisions are important, and then just ... leaves you cold. The player can run through with no regard for life or plot and see the same four endings, the same locations and dialog. No reward system exists. Besides that, the player can go the entire game mercifully instead of lethally and find no acknowledgement AT ALL. I didn't get the Steam achievement after all that sneaky effort, and I never carried a gun except during boss battles. Yes, reality lacks a reward system also. DX:HR is not reality. Is it entertaining? Yes. I am not rating a television show, however. I'm rating the (competent) sequel to possibly the greatest FPS/RPG ever. Entertainment without true depth is something that can be found in many, many games. The art direction, sound design, world construction - these are all brilliant. Many gamers will wet themselves in joy. I imagine this as some crippled Adonis, some sleeping and underrealized beauty. What should have been Dune is instead a Spider Robinson novel - masterful and timeless without being angry, without trying the observer. I deleted my local content after my chosen ending awarded me with its terrifying frustration. Expand
  54. May 20, 2012
    I find this game to be mediocre, I really tried to ''get into it'' but I have difficulty doing so. I'm at my 14th hour of playing the game, and I still find the plot kinda boring and bland. I wish it wasn't as predictable as it is. The quests are pretty straight forward. The graphics are also boring. The Stealth system is cool and easy to use, I guess this is what is keeping me in theI find this game to be mediocre, I really tried to ''get into it'' but I have difficulty doing so. I'm at my 14th hour of playing the game, and I still find the plot kinda boring and bland. I wish it wasn't as predictable as it is. The quests are pretty straight forward. The graphics are also boring. The Stealth system is cool and easy to use, I guess this is what is keeping me in the game. The concept is good, but the only thing memorable that I think I'm going to have of this game is the fact that I want to try the first of the series to see if it's better. I got to say tho, it's worth the 10$ I paid for it on Steam, and I'm glad I haven't paid more. Peace and Loooooove! Expand
  55. Sep 6, 2011
    I don't know if I wasn't in the right mood when playing but Human Revolution rubbed me the wrong way. The combat was incredibly generic, the AI seemed quite content with walking towards me while I was in cover, thus creating a sort of fish in a barrel situation. The part that irked me the most though was the RPG aspect. The response wheel from Mass Effect makes a return. I'm sorry, but I'mI don't know if I wasn't in the right mood when playing but Human Revolution rubbed me the wrong way. The combat was incredibly generic, the AI seemed quite content with walking towards me while I was in cover, thus creating a sort of fish in a barrel situation. The part that irked me the most though was the RPG aspect. The response wheel from Mass Effect makes a return. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of these wheels. They neither tell you exactly what you'll say nor are they sometimes even remotely close to what the text alludes to. There really needs to be a switch from "text" to "mood" of responses. Angry, Comforting, what have you. Just stop making these terrible dialogue wheels people. Expand
  56. Jul 22, 2012
    Disappointment here. Cliche story I guessed after 30min gameplay (before end of intro). Square enix bosses (ie. you either know the trick or you die helplessly). Also a nice shooter that requires a bit of strategy. Secret paths looking like obvious ones. Don't look for a "beyond good and evil" experience.
  57. Aug 30, 2011
    To me DX:HR is a sad case of an over-hyped, highly anticipated sequel that simply tries to do too much. The one thing it has going for it is a wide range of play styles, unfortunately none of them are that exciting. The stealth system is mostly limited to hacking doors and using augmentation powers to open up new routes that just bypass most of the combat aspects. At first this is aTo me DX:HR is a sad case of an over-hyped, highly anticipated sequel that simply tries to do too much. The one thing it has going for it is a wide range of play styles, unfortunately none of them are that exciting. The stealth system is mostly limited to hacking doors and using augmentation powers to open up new routes that just bypass most of the combat aspects. At first this is a satisfying enough experience, but if you start to get good at stealth and spend most of your XP points in stealth aspects you can literally walk straight through hostile environments with no consequences. If that isn't very appealing you can just shoot everything, which again at the start can be a fun challenge because its actually pretty difficult going this route. But later on with upgrades and augmentations combat is blatantly easy as well. There are various other paths you can occasionally pick to accomplish quests like persuasion and just using special augments to explore, though both of these are pretty dull. In fact, most of the aspects that are normally associated with similar RPG games like character development, interaction and a reactive environment are simply not present in this game. The only semblance of progress you have in development is your augmentation tree, which offers a lot of variety but it becomes pretty clear early on which routes are the easiest. Story-wise your character doesn't really change no matter what you do, and this bleeds over into the often static environment of city hubs. As stated in other reviews you can literally do anything with no long term consequences which takes a huge hit into the immersion this game could offer. The only reason much of the story in this game is interesting is because it offers an intriguing "what if" science fiction scenario for the future, but I find it so hard to take seriously because I can go around breaking and entering, killing civilians and cops, and in general doing whatever I want with no issues. If you get tired of massacring city hubs you simply hide and wait out your aggression timer. Overall an average FPS/RPG mix with a weak execution and poor re-playability. Expand
  58. Nov 3, 2011
    Most overated game of the year! I enjoy the original Deus Ex, I liked the scale of it all. But this looks like some cheap copy of it that feels so much more enclosed. The graphics look 5 years out of date, the acting is terrible. I probably put in about 6 hours of gameplay and I just became bored. Bored of doing the same hacking, bored of doing the same hiding behind boxes, bored ofMost overated game of the year! I enjoy the original Deus Ex, I liked the scale of it all. But this looks like some cheap copy of it that feels so much more enclosed. The graphics look 5 years out of date, the acting is terrible. I probably put in about 6 hours of gameplay and I just became bored. Bored of doing the same hacking, bored of doing the same hiding behind boxes, bored of crawling down ventalation shafts. Maybe if thats your thing, you`ll enjoy this game. But for me, I prefer some good solid sandbox action in a large environment with bang upto date graphics. This game has none of that. Expand
  59. Aug 31, 2011
    The gameplay is all over the place, the AI is absurd, the animated art is tatty and actual interactivity (and forget "story interativity") is very weak, almost non-existent. I don't understand all the hype and craziness. This is no LGS legacy game, much less one of Ion Storm. It's a mainstream disappointment.
  60. Oct 4, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a prequel to the old "Deus Ex" duology. Set 25 years before the original Deus Ex it is more of a prequel in spirit and overall world development.
    The timespan is huge enough to allow Eidos to do something set in the same world without being tied down by specific ends to the plot, complete with a separate cast of characters and its own focus.
    While the "Human

While the "Human Revolution" might have been an interesting plot to explore, it ultimately falls short in the game. While it is clearly noticeable that the population is uneasy about the technological developments and the dangers of augmentations, only at the end of the game will real riots break out - alongside the path of Adam Jensen.
    You feel like an outsider, kept from the actual events that tear the population apart. While being fed information via emails, ebooks, TVs and other sorts of media, the game fails to involve you into its setting.

Upon hearing that James Swallow, one of the better Black Library authors, is involved, I felt the urge to experience this title.
    The experience I got was unexpectedly forced and seemed awkward. While a lot of the ebooks provided a good read, the story told in the actual game felt shallow, leading you from one job to the next without even realizing its full potential.
    Instead of building up a solid connection to the characters by adding relevant material, you barely get to see them, and what they say is normally so limited, you simply cannot bond with them.

Decisions don't have a real impact on the story either. Whether you choose to help a Quest NPC or not doesn't matter, even if you do, you'll see him once or twice right after the quest, gain your reward and that's that.
    Instead of incorporating these NPCs into later parts of the game, helping you out, they get abandoned asap. Characters Jensen seemingly knows from a past we've never even scratched appear and disappear without leaving marks in our lives, only adding a few credits to our pockets.

One thing I regretted was letting my pilot, Faridah Malik die when we got shot down by Belltower soldiers. A short dramatic dialogue sequence via vox and once I passed that area, Jensen got contacted by Pritchard, who was seemingly shocked for seconds but then told Adam to not act out of revenge.
    When you later find her body in Triad-boss Tong's lair, there is no reaction, no line of regret, sadness, nothing. Abandoned.
    If I had rescued her, she'd have evacuated Megan Reed and her team later on, and disappeared afterwards. No impact.

The end of the actual plot feels artificial, architected and unnatural. Eidos took all of the leading characters and threw them onto Panchea, and left the player with the decision to doom them all.
    Tying loose ends was supposed to work differently, especially when you don't even get a proper epilogue. Abandoned characters once again, Deus Ex Machina.
  61. Aug 27, 2011
    Playing this game i have the feeling i am playing through a Mass Effect DLC, and not the best one... until i am brought back to reality by its Modern Warfare-like combat and the stealth "routes" available. Those are the main differences between the two games. There is the same dialog system, the same lack of weaponry choice of ME2, the same hub-dungeons mechanic, the token "hacking"Playing this game i have the feeling i am playing through a Mass Effect DLC, and not the best one... until i am brought back to reality by its Modern Warfare-like combat and the stealth "routes" available. Those are the main differences between the two games. There is the same dialog system, the same lack of weaponry choice of ME2, the same hub-dungeons mechanic, the token "hacking" mini-game and even the original augment system works in the same way as Mass Effect's character progression (with exp points granting points to expend in new abilities and powering up old ones), although some modifications provide effects similar to those of Crysis' famous combat suit. I can't help feeling the whole game is a massive sense of deja-vu topped with lack of creativity. Only the concept design and art sometimes go above the average. Even with my settings maxed i found the graphics to be lacking and the backgrounds mostly unappealing, at about the level of the first Mass Effect, if not less. The music score is interesting and it's clear a skilled writer was hired for the occasion, but both fall flat because of the repetitive and unoriginal gameplay. Perhaps after playing through all of the FPS games of the last decade i have grown insensitive to the appeal of the genre, but i still play quite a few of them and the third installment of Deus Ex doesn't provide anything substantially new to the standard. Even though i am a fan of the more rough and unforgiving combat i have no reason to play through Deus Ex: Human Revolution again. Wanting an engrossing story and captivating scenery Mass Effect is by far superior, while Battlefield Bad Company 2 or Modern Warfare 2 go the extra mile in terms of realism, stealth action and weaponry choice. I can hardly contain my disappointment and stupefaction in front of the acclaim a game like this is receiving, but i will give it the rating i believe it deserves: a 7, mostly for its good production value, polished gameplay and cool (although easily guessed) story climax. Le sigh. Expand
  62. Sep 11, 2011
    Its obvious that the autors wanted to bring back the original Deus Ex experience .. and frankly they quite did. There are the same positive and negative sides to this game as they were to the original DE. However, the age is different then it was back in 2000 .. games standards are higher. By these standards, DE:HR fails in many ways .. graphic design is the most noticable failing. ItsIts obvious that the autors wanted to bring back the original Deus Ex experience .. and frankly they quite did. There are the same positive and negative sides to this game as they were to the original DE. However, the age is different then it was back in 2000 .. games standards are higher. By these standards, DE:HR fails in many ways .. graphic design is the most noticable failing. Its made by lazy and uncreative designers. Another downfalls appear in Gameplay elements. I can forgive no facial expressions during dialogues but not the hit-n-miss voic acting. The controls are not PC-friendly so it will take few hours to adapt. Stealth play feels allright .. until you mess something up and have to resort to funs-n-blazing approach. Direct action feels hammered and very boring. The AI is really dumb, nothing challenging at all even on the highest difficulty. Hacking pods everywhere, the mini-game gets repetetive and very easy. Its true that there are many ways you can take to achieve your quests, but without proper augmentation, its immposible to fully se that potencial of paths. Boss fights are simply horrid in every way. The single saving grace of this game is its plot, and the soundtrack is quite solid too. Expand
  63. Oct 17, 2011
    Having finished the game I can say it seems to be a typical modern game. It was far short and the ending is so ambiguous as to make me wonder why you end it that way. Stealth and trying to finish the game without killing people is almost impossible. It was fun but again seems to be lacking in depth
  64. Aug 31, 2011
    This is a solid, mostly polished game that's worth the cover price and the time spent playing it (30 hours for my first run-through, and I'm certain to replay it at least once more). The gameplay is fun and reminiscent of the two previous Deus Ex titles, with several possible approaches to each task or challenge, as promised. However, it has several weak spots that hold it back from beingThis is a solid, mostly polished game that's worth the cover price and the time spent playing it (30 hours for my first run-through, and I'm certain to replay it at least once more). The gameplay is fun and reminiscent of the two previous Deus Ex titles, with several possible approaches to each task or challenge, as promised. However, it has several weak spots that hold it back from being the truly immersive experience I think Eidos was aiming for, disqualify it from an 8 or 9 score, and prevent it from rising to the greatness of other action-oriented RPGs such as Mass Effect, Bioshock or Fallout New Vegas, or character-driven action games like GTA IV. The first is the stiff facial animation, which look much the same as they did in Deus Ex: Invisible War back in 2003. Faces are frozen and unexpressive, and lip movement bears almost no relation to speech, even on a very high-spec PC. The botched facial animation greatly diminishes the otherwise excellent character, weapon and environment rendering, which really shines with DirectX 11 tessellation support. The second flaw is dialog, both as it is written and spoken. As in all story-driven games, the dialog in DE:HR must carry some of the burden of plot exposition, and this will inevitably lead to some stiff-sounding, didactic statements. But this game's dialog is weighted too much on the expository side, at the expense of creating empathy or identification with the characters. NPCs baldly state facts that the main character (Adam Jensen) should already know, and Jensen himself is too much given to bland expository statements. Those lines of dialog designed to show character or develop relationships between characters are filled with action-movie or TV clichés. Other games in futuristic settings, such as the underrated Enslaved, created empathy for characters with far less dialog. Others, such as Bisoshock and Portal 1 & 2, let the environment carry part of the expository burden â Expand
  65. Nov 28, 2011
    I can't believe all the praise Human Revolution received. The game is very mediocre. There is a bunch of things wrong with it, like unbalanced XP and money system, lack of shops and interesting items/weapons. Some of the augs are plain stupid, like most of the hacking upgrades. The only way you can have fun with this game if you sneak around knocking dumb AI unconscious or shooting themI can't believe all the praise Human Revolution received. The game is very mediocre. There is a bunch of things wrong with it, like unbalanced XP and money system, lack of shops and interesting items/weapons. Some of the augs are plain stupid, like most of the hacking upgrades. The only way you can have fun with this game if you sneak around knocking dumb AI unconscious or shooting them with the tranq gun. Nothing wrong with that, but it becomes very repetitive: sneak through a vent, hack 100 terminals, punch someone facing a wall like a tard, pick up ammo you'll never use, read someone's inbox, turn on a faucet. In fact, the only time the game became creative is when you had to make your way through a room full of lasers. Granted it wasn't the most original or challenging task since they conveniently placed cover all the way through, but at least it was something different. And I'm not even gonna go into boss battles.

If I had to pick the most irritating thing, then it would be the energy system fueled by very limited supply of Snickers bars. Most of the time I spent crawling around with only one energy bar filled, since it's the only one automatically refilled without munching on chocolates. And isn't it fun to knock one guy out and follow the next one around like a puppy waiting on your battery to recharge? There are some redeeming factors, like the character models are pretty cool, the takedown animations, voice acting, and soundtrack. The coolest looking and functioning upgrade is the parachute one with the option to stun nearby enemies upon impact with the ground. But of course I couldn't **** use that if I wanted to be sneaky.

And graphics are consolized **** It's just plain for the exception of Jensen's apartment and Megan's office where you start off.

I did play the game to the end. It's not bad, it's average.
  66. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is decent, nothing more
    Graphics are a bit plain, animations in some cases are really bad, boss fights are silly, replayability is imo none, once i finished it i felt no urge to play it over again, which for a "gdr-like" game is bad
    This game is way worse (considering the ages that passed) than the original ones
  67. Oct 24, 2011
    Game starts out decent but quickly goes downhill. The game play is meh, stealth mechanics feel dated, like Deus Ex dated. The cover system is finicky and often times you'll have trouble sticking to surfaces until you turn on the "Toggle Cover," which is still infuriating. The games enemies are predictable and there's not a lot of variety between them other than bigger guns and colorGame starts out decent but quickly goes downhill. The game play is meh, stealth mechanics feel dated, like Deus Ex dated. The cover system is finicky and often times you'll have trouble sticking to surfaces until you turn on the "Toggle Cover," which is still infuriating. The games enemies are predictable and there's not a lot of variety between them other than bigger guns and color scheme. They don't seem to get any smarter and there's little variety in game play amongst missions. Generally you run around quietly, find some boxes, move the boxes and enter vent. Hacking is way too central to the game and action orientated players will be somewhat sad as the game forces you into a more stealthy character as there aren't a lot of augmentations for combat characters other than recoil and armor. The game's settings especially the city hubs are poorly laid out, the side quests are awful, and having to walk 1 to 2 minutes back and forth multiple times in hubs gets extremely annoying. They should've been omitted completely and stuck to a more traditional format instead of the awful hub. The story was extremely boring because it's so predictable. Anyone who has at least read some literature for pleasure can easily pick up who's the bad guy and what's going to happen. The dialogue and voice actors in general are terrible and really grated me, especially Jensen's voice. Overall the game's average and I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone unless it's $10. Expand
  68. Nov 13, 2011
    If you like spending the first few hours after the first action sequence of the game doing nothing but running around talking to people, scrolling through dialogue options, and playing a stupid hack mini-game; then you will enjoy this game. If you actually would like to have a FUN gaming experience with more actual game-play, then stay away and don't waste your money on this game. YouIf you like spending the first few hours after the first action sequence of the game doing nothing but running around talking to people, scrolling through dialogue options, and playing a stupid hack mini-game; then you will enjoy this game. If you actually would like to have a FUN gaming experience with more actual game-play, then stay away and don't waste your money on this game. You would be better just renting a sci-fi movie, sitting on a couch, and watching it. The main characters voice is annoying, and...did I mention the stupid hack mini-game that pretty much occupies all your time? Yeah it's lame... Expand
  69. Jul 25, 2012
    Tallow summarized this game pretty well from experienced stealth player point of view, like me. Although if someone wants to just quickly shoot-and-punch-them-all, the game will be fun for sure. So why my 6/10? Because I've been told to go stealth road by the game itself, chosen that road and while it was playable for a while, I eventually got to first boss. I was thrown into a small area,Tallow summarized this game pretty well from experienced stealth player point of view, like me. Although if someone wants to just quickly shoot-and-punch-them-all, the game will be fun for sure. So why my 6/10? Because I've been told to go stealth road by the game itself, chosen that road and while it was playable for a while, I eventually got to first boss. I was thrown into a small area, wearing stun and tranq weapons, stealth and hacking augs and had to fight a terminator, with a leading cutscene so UTTERLY DUMB that I lack words to describe it (he - my lovely player avatar hero - waltzed in into a room and got ambushed! HE - I WASN'T EVEN IN CONTROL WTF). Bottom line I ran around and saveloaded for like 2 hours, there just wasn't enough equipment and possibilities to take this "thing" down at easy (EASY!) level, and getting into meele resulted in a funky oneshot punch in my face! Or maybe there was a way, but 2 hours was enough trying for me. I've uninstalled and I'll go back to it maybe in a year to fastforward it terminator way, the way I SHOULD have been playing apparently. The main reason I did that, was simply being told by game itself to go stealth, avoid combat and be a pacifist and then be literary SCREWED OVER, put into exact opposite without any out of jail card available. This is nothing like original deus ex, even tho that game sucked in so many ways, it did give me one redeeming quality - that I could just equip GEP gun and oneshot that annoying boss aug when he ran at me, with his goodies all turned off, trying to initialize dialogue. No, this game designs the gameplay, it tells me what is the right way, what is the wrong way, it sterilizes everything to narrow the possibilities to JUST THAT and it does this so badly as to ruin not only my fun, but literally the game I'm playing, forcing me to start over!!! It is like old tabletop rpg where some jack*** game master suddenly tells you a cow fallen on you from the sky and it's game over. This story repeats over and over in every single super duper rated popular highly marketed AAA title I reach for, so I'm gonna filter them from now on and just outright ignore. Expand
  70. Aug 29, 2011
    Don't believe the hype. This is nothing more than a decent action game that feels like it should have been released in 2007. The promises of "play any way you want" means a choice between stealth or assault, on maps with alternate paths. Nothing you have not seen before. The writing and voice acting are terrible, especially when compared to games like Mass Effect 2 or LA Noire, and theDon't believe the hype. This is nothing more than a decent action game that feels like it should have been released in 2007. The promises of "play any way you want" means a choice between stealth or assault, on maps with alternate paths. Nothing you have not seen before. The writing and voice acting are terrible, especially when compared to games like Mass Effect 2 or LA Noire, and the mannequin like animations reminded me of GTA IV. The worst part about this game is it's shamefully poor renditions of real world cities none of the staff have obviously ever visited. The game starts off in Detroit 16 years in the future with buildings that are miles apart in real life, renamed and placed next to each other on roads that either don't exist, or are not supposed to intersect. This is not an open world game either, the maps are very restrictive, and if you fail a mission, instead of restarting, you continue on with all the other characters telling you how disappointed they are with your performance. They marketed that as a feature. What really threw me off were the high reviews from sources I usually trust. When a game is this well received, it usually does either something truly innovative, or raises the bar on an enjoyed gameplay mechanic. This game is nothing more than a collection of elements from other genres of games that do what this is trying to do better. Expand
  71. Aug 29, 2011
    A wonderful return to the form of the original game in which caution, exploration and roleplaying pay off at least as much as straight shooting. However, the PC version is the least stable game I've played in years and I experienced many hangups near the start (around the time of the emergency patches) but then again later after some 7 hours play. For this reason I can only rate itA wonderful return to the form of the original game in which caution, exploration and roleplaying pay off at least as much as straight shooting. However, the PC version is the least stable game I've played in years and I experienced many hangups near the start (around the time of the emergency patches) but then again later after some 7 hours play. For this reason I can only rate it "decent" overall. If they fix the bugs it's an absolute classic. Expand
  72. Aug 28, 2011
    The spirit of Deus Ex is kept alive in this FPS/RPG hybrid that focuses on re-inventing itself to fit the current generation of gaming. There are quirks, but the plot and exploration elements keep it from being as mundane as things like Resistance. It feels more like Mass Effect 2 (dear lord) and Splinter Cell. Keep in mind the first Deus Ex preceded all of the similar games on the marketThe spirit of Deus Ex is kept alive in this FPS/RPG hybrid that focuses on re-inventing itself to fit the current generation of gaming. There are quirks, but the plot and exploration elements keep it from being as mundane as things like Resistance. It feels more like Mass Effect 2 (dear lord) and Splinter Cell. Keep in mind the first Deus Ex preceded all of the similar games on the market now in the past 10 years. Expand
  73. Oct 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall I think this game is good. I hate RPGs, so I appreciate that you don't have to care about the story or listen to hours of NPC drivel. Instead, you can just play it as a stealth shooter-type game or whatever. But what totally kills this game are the arbitrarily difficult boss battles. There is nothing of sufficient challenge leading up to the boss battles to prepare you for them. If you've relied mostly on stealth tactics for other parts of the game, you're screwed because they don't work against bosses. Many have raved about how this game allows you to play in your own style. That's true except for the boss battles. Hopefully you just happened to select the correct augmentations along the way to get through them so they aren't too much of a disruption.

I was annoyed by the first boss battle but got through it well enough. But the second one where you fight the "she-aug" in front of the giant AI news-bot thing is just stupid. I used my augmented vision to chase her around the arena pumping 200 heavy machine-gun rounds into her then another 70 rounds from the combat rifle, then a few rounds from the pistol. There was no sign of this causing her any harm so it's strange she kept running away. She clearly had the impervious-to-bullets augmentation. By the way, when do I get one of those for myself? So my conclusion is that this game is lacking in continuity to a degree that may annoy those who do not normally play action-RPGs. Given how easily my character can die, it seems like 200 heavy machine-gun rounds should take care of just about any human, augmented or otherwise.
  74. Jul 22, 2012
    Great game at heart, but hampered unnecessarily by several issues. The story is pretty good but seems to borrow heavily from other classic movies and games. The graphics and art style are excellent; the neon yellow theme is really cool. The upgrade system is straightforward and interesting, not to mention practical and useful. With each upgrade you feel like you're purchasing somethingGreat game at heart, but hampered unnecessarily by several issues. The story is pretty good but seems to borrow heavily from other classic movies and games. The graphics and art style are excellent; the neon yellow theme is really cool. The upgrade system is straightforward and interesting, not to mention practical and useful. With each upgrade you feel like you're purchasing something you will take advantage of, and you do. Now on to the cons. For much of the first year post-release the game suffered from a debilitating stuttering issue. The fact that the game was sold in such a condition is disgraceful. Square Enix should be embarrassed and I never want to see a game released in such condition again. However I believe the stuttering issue has been fixed close to a year after release. Aside from the technical problems, there are other issues with the game. The controls are not customizable enough on PC (e.g. there is no way to hold sights instead of toggle sights) which I found very annoying. Also there is an almost overbearing emphasis on stealth. Sometimes I found missions taking forever to complete because of the difficulty of the AI. You are extremely vulnerable even with armor upgrades. This means that you're almost forced to stealth your way through the entire game. I'm not saying it's too hard... it's hard, but I'm fine with that. I just wish there was a way to play other than sneaking around everywhere, hiding behind boxes for 30 seconds at a time and timing your movements precisely. That gets boring and repetitive after a while. Overall, it's a 6/10 but still worth checking out. It's got many positive aspects and the things that bothered me might not bother someone else. Expand
  75. May 24, 2013
    Deus Ex Human Revolution (DEHR) seems to want to go back to the roots of the original Deus Ex, not with a gripping story, but with graphics that seem to go back in time, to bland environments that all look the same. The graphics in this game are shockingly BAD for a game made in 2011. Some of the cutscenes especially the CINEMATICS are much better, but the quality there is also prettyDeus Ex Human Revolution (DEHR) seems to want to go back to the roots of the original Deus Ex, not with a gripping story, but with graphics that seem to go back in time, to bland environments that all look the same. The graphics in this game are shockingly BAD for a game made in 2011. Some of the cutscenes especially the CINEMATICS are much better, but the quality there is also pretty patchy. Very little reaches or maintains the high standard set by Bioware with Mass Effect 2. So many reviewers have commented about the bad animations for a simple reason. THEY ARE DREADFUL. But look at the 1998 level of textures in the environments and you can see that they share the same low standards. The game seems to try too hard to compensate for its poor visuals with an 'edgy story' that is really parade of cliches washed over in a dreary and unrelenting sepia palette! The rooms and physical assets of the game feel retro and clunky, the same dumbassed boxes piled literally EVERYWHERE. The same cliched airducts and waist high glass walls for cover. The same dumb computer terminals. All looking like the next best thing from 1998. Playing this game I'm sorry to say I felt embarrassed for the development team. Their hearts were in the right place and the augumentations were kind of ok. In the end I couldn't be assed using stealth, because I didn't want to waste time trapped in the dreary maze of always-the-same places assets and choices. Just run up to bad guys and shotgun them in the face. There is no penalty for failure as death just puts you back a few meters and lets you try again. This game didn't bring Deus Ex into the 21st century. it leaves it stick back in the 20th. Thankfully the publisher understands the real worth (lessness) of this game and often has it on sale for around $7 on Steam. At this price it is not too painful and is recommended as a tutorial in the perils of LACKING AMBITION to shine. The high number of 10 svores in here are unbelievable. I hope that the development team stop spending time creating spurious accounts to boost the reputation of their work, and instead spend their energies earning real 10s by making BETTER GAMES. Expand
  76. Aug 26, 2011
    The original Deus Ex wasnâ
  77. Sep 1, 2011
    Its literally the hardest game i have ever played and i beat ninja gaiden 1 and 2 on master ninja. This game completely relies on stealth and hacking, gun fights are boring and its duck, peak for 2 seconds, duck, peak for 2 seconds, duck. The map design is boring, find a vent and your home free. The only thing i like about the game to be honest is the "think out of the box" gameplay. ThereIts literally the hardest game i have ever played and i beat ninja gaiden 1 and 2 on master ninja. This game completely relies on stealth and hacking, gun fights are boring and its duck, peak for 2 seconds, duck, peak for 2 seconds, duck. The map design is boring, find a vent and your home free. The only thing i like about the game to be honest is the "think out of the box" gameplay. There is at least 3 ways to do a mission, and by that, most of them are going to rely on stealth, maybe one or two involves gun-play and your mostly going to quit because your always getting ambushed. If the game had a better atmosphere, funner gun-play, and the ability to have allies or do co-op, this game would have a 10. And i refuse to lower my difficulty from hardest settings because everyone says the replay value of this game is below absolute zero. Expand
  78. Sep 5, 2011
    -Updated reaction review.
    A great game gets 5 when you FORCE RETARDED BOSS FIGHTS and try stupidly to excuse such decision by narrative! Incredibly STUPID and SHORTSIGHTED!
  79. Jul 16, 2012
    Picked this up on the cheap for $10 at target and I'm just not feeling it. I'm not a fan of the sierra 3d engine, the controls are stiff and lack any type of fluidity found in most fps games. Additionally the acting is pretty terrible in this game. I know most people are fan's of the first game but for me, as a newcomer to the series this just didn't pull me in. I doubt I'll finish it.
  80. Jul 21, 2012
    This sequel to the Classic Deus Ex has a good deal going for it: a complex, yet believable plot line; better-than-average dialog; fairly well-developed and unique characters; pretty good graphics and PLENTY of action. The weapons are very good, and the augmentation system is nicely integrated into the story line, while the augmentations themselves work well and provide the player with aThis sequel to the Classic Deus Ex has a good deal going for it: a complex, yet believable plot line; better-than-average dialog; fairly well-developed and unique characters; pretty good graphics and PLENTY of action. The weapons are very good, and the augmentation system is nicely integrated into the story line, while the augmentations themselves work well and provide the player with a wide latitude for character creation. All-in-all a well thought-out effort by Eidos Montreal. However, the most serious flaw - Boss Fights - is, unfortunately, a fatal one. C'mon Eidos this is not the 1990's! What were you thinking when you decided to include these juvenile throwbacks in an otherwise fairly sophisticated game? I alternated between laughing and crying as I went through them - so ridiculous, so unnecessary, so indicative of a lack of imagination and confidence in your product. I played through all the Boss Fights, but in doing so, I lost all interest in a second play through. You could have redeemed yourselves by providing the player with the choice of skipping this nonsense. For the future, please realize that not all of your customers are trigger happy twelve year-olds who MUST be appeased with obligatory foolishness. Expand
  81. Sep 14, 2011
    The good: I enjoyed the plot, side quests, hacking minigame (initially), and don't regret playing it as a whole,but there is some flaws.

The bad: Graphics ..are just ok, it's repetitive and with a lack of detail, optimized for a slow console perhaps? Noticed no difference with Dx11. Game play .. is somehow too easy, even when playing on hardest, as covers = imba, and guards, even after

The bad:
    Graphics

Game play
    .. is somehow too easy, even when playing on hardest, as covers = imba, and guards, even after you throw a grenade their way, will assume it's nothing when the 30 seconds hard timer is up, and besides, hardly even bother come search after you when you're noticed even. (Prefer stealth mechanics as in Metro 2033).
    The 3rd person cinematic for takedowns and fall implant breaks up the flow and becomes irritating, the cover mode/look however, is cool. The different approaches, so much spoken of, feels like a repetition over and over, with air ducts, hackable door locks or brute force. The ugly*:
    Finally, the end credits, it feels like I'm visiting some distant relatives which is having a slideshow of people I care nothing about. To be harsh, it breaks the immersion I had in the game, and becomes everything but a reward for finishing.

* Just having fun, they are all like super model looking. Lots of implants I'm sure.
  82. Sep 13, 2011
    The graphics are definitely not top of the range, the K.I. isn't super clever and most of the game inventions are stolen from other games. From my point of view: Totally overrated and another fast food game.
  83. Jul 18, 2012
    I was a massive fan if the first game and hoped the sequel would live up to it: unfortunately it's just not in the same league. It is a decent game in its own right and will keep you amused for a play through, but it just never quite delivers that playing pleasure that kept me replaying the original. Firstly, the storyline, while OK, doesn't have the twists and turns of the original andI was a massive fan if the first game and hoped the sequel would live up to it: unfortunately it's just not in the same league. It is a decent game in its own right and will keep you amused for a play through, but it just never quite delivers that playing pleasure that kept me replaying the original. Firstly, the storyline, while OK, doesn't have the twists and turns of the original and feels contrived and limp. But most disappointing is the gameplay.
    The most innovative aspect to the first game was the sheer scope to complete levels in multiple ways. The levels were so big and intricate you really felt part of a real world where you had the choices. On top of this the augmentations made a huge difference in terms of how you could complete levels and dictated the kind of player you wanted to be. In this sequel it feels much more rushed and less complete. The levels are populated by very few characters who do more than give you the stock, non-interactive answers, and as soon as you get off the beaten track instead of finding new interesting puzzles and bonuses, you find doors you can't enter and routes you can't explore. On top of this the augmentations just don't really change the gameplay much. In the original I replayed the game several times choosing different augmentations and thereby having a very different experience each time. This kept the game fresh and exciting. In this game the aug's don't really alter how you play, other than making it a bit easier here and there, and in the case of the typhoon system making it too easy really. There also isn't the noticeable difference as you upgrade. In the original game the sniper rifle was pretty useless as a novice; by the time you were an expert with a couple of weapon mod's added it became incredibly powerful. In this sequel the weapons are quite good whatever level you are on, but never particularly great even when you are an expert.
    The sequel does have some new and interesting ideas. The conversation analysis aug that allows you to work out the best responses to give , and the way you can move between cover. But these cannot hide the fact that most of what is here is simply a rehash of the original, and in most cases a rehash that falls below the level already achieved. Add to this some levels that take an awful long time to load I can't give this more than a 6 out of 10.
  84. Aug 23, 2011
    My review is not enthusiastic and this new Deus Ex chapter really disappointed me in more than one point: dated graphics, stiff animations, very buggy AI, not a sandbox as the previous Deus Ex, ridiculous boss fights, very bad physics in objects and bodies...that's a shame for a game that could have been pretty much better :-(
  85. Aug 29, 2011
    I read a lot of reviews saying that the game was over-hyped and i can say, in all honesty, they're right. It barely lives up to the expectations. Although it does really well in it's attempt to follow the formula of the original, in my opinion it reminds of Invisible War a lot more than it does of the first DeusEx (why that is, i don't really know, since invisible war was a flop throughI read a lot of reviews saying that the game was over-hyped and i can say, in all honesty, they're right. It barely lives up to the expectations. Although it does really well in it's attempt to follow the formula of the original, in my opinion it reminds of Invisible War a lot more than it does of the first DeusEx (why that is, i don't really know, since invisible war was a flop through and through, patches and all) the game has barely anything new to offer. It's the same options, though severely polished. What pissed me off a lot, was the fact they kept the same, tedious side quests that involved an insane amount of backtracking and collecting/hacking. Voice acting is well done, though not all of the time. Graphically, it's practically flawless. It's not state of the art GFX, but that is of little importance. Personally, i love the designs of the augmentations. Everything else is surprisingly mediocre. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful time-killer, but soon enough you'll find yourself wanting for the next best thing. Expand
  86. Aug 29, 2011
    Let me sum this up in a sentence. The game is OK. Do I think it was one of those titles that you immediately go out and buy and give in to the hype? No. This is a game you wait a year to go on sale on steam for like 20 or 30 bucks. When the game first starts off its pretty engaging and you start getting into it a little, thinking "Wow this is gonna be awesome.' The storyline and cutscenesLet me sum this up in a sentence. The game is OK. Do I think it was one of those titles that you immediately go out and buy and give in to the hype? No. This is a game you wait a year to go on sale on steam for like 20 or 30 bucks. When the game first starts off its pretty engaging and you start getting into it a little, thinking "Wow this is gonna be awesome.' The storyline and cutscenes are interesting and easy to follow. The soundtrack is by far one of my favorite things in the game, the music fits the world of Deus-Ex perfectly and it sounds great. But come to find out the bottom line is its just another cookie cutter stealth game tailored to the console market. Graphics, while still pleasing, are pretty dated (which just further backs up the fact that it is a console game). But graphics are not why I bought this game. Having played the first one years ago I expected a lot of the RPG/FPS hybrid elements from that game to have been revived or have evolved in this game. Sadly the character development is very disappointing. It is missing a lot of the RPG elements that made the first one so great. The storyline is OK but isnt enough to make up for the dumbing down of the character development. The game progresses nicely, however it feels too linear, and the environments are wayyyy too cramped. The cover system is nice but unfortunately you are pretty much forced to use it if you choose not to ninja your way through every objective, which makes for a pretty repetitive combat experience. Once you level up your typhoon, stealth, and icarus landing system it does offer you the option of some interesting combos that looks pretty neat but your power runs out so quickly its hard to execute them quickly enough. I have so far made it to the second city, but I can already tell this game does not come anywhere near to giving the series any justice. Nothing innovative or groundbreaking here, like I said just another flashy futuristic cookie cutter stealth game tailored toward an inferior console market with dumbed down game mechanics for the more "casual" players. Not what I expected from a Deus Ex title. Although judging from the last one, that seems to be where they are heading. After a week of playing through every day for a few hours or so Im already starting to get bored with it. Expand
  87. Sep 5, 2011
    Though the game had some cool visual graphics and varied gameplay elements, technical problems, like game lag and a bug with the first side quest, as well as the persuasion system, and dialog cut scenes that slowed this game to a crawl, and made this title much less than perfect. I did like the graphics, those even on my almost new system with an upgraded video card, the game lagged andThough the game had some cool visual graphics and varied gameplay elements, technical problems, like game lag and a bug with the first side quest, as well as the persuasion system, and dialog cut scenes that slowed this game to a crawl, and made this title much less than perfect. I did like the graphics, those even on my almost new system with an upgraded video card, the game lagged and was choppy, making combat that much harder.The augmentation (customising) system was fun, allowing you to upgrade the character on the fly and make hard choices on what physical elements to perfect. The embedded weapons and armor where very cool, but separating the personal visual cloaking from acoustic stealth made it impossible to be truly sneaky.The dialogue cut scenes and persuasion system slowed the game down to an unbearable crawl. Some of the cooler looking weapons where useless, while some others where quite helpful (I won't spoil this for you, you have to figure it out like I did, in the heat of battle). The embedded weapons worked very well, but I did one time use the typhoon accidentally in a public place which cause some civilian causalities and it got the cops mad at me (oops). I think letting the player decide on the mission route and type of force (lethal or non-lethal) to use in order to complete a mission was one of the highlights of this game. The B-ee pilot (I forget her name), who fiys you to diffent loctions within the game, looked like a guy with two very small chest bumps. The story line was far from original, and the ending was so predictable. If you pre-ordered this game as I did, you get a bonus mission, which was too short but had a very cool reward. There was shops in the game where you can buy weapons and upgrades, but these places are hard to find. I found it impossible to sell things to them (game bug?). The game also had a good variety of opponent, both human and robotic, to fight, though towards the end they became repetitious. The computer hacking system was too easy, made even easier by auto hacking items. One thing I really didn't understand was the fact I had break into and shoot up an entire police precinct early in the game, after failing to talk my way in, and the cops just let this act of mass cop murder go. I should have been the most wanted man in history. I can only say the AI in this game leaves much to be desired. I would like to replay the game now that I understand how thing work in it, but the game lag, the bugs, the slowness of the dialog scenes and persuasion system keeps pushing me away from it. I had mixed felling about this game, but knowing about it as I do now, I would have saved my money and steered clear of it, it was too short a story anyway. Expand
  88. Sep 4, 2011
    You might feel like I'm giving this a bad score, but 6 is better than average. IN MY OPINION the game has very good stuff going on, but it is kind of ruined with small annoyining "flaws". That being said, I didn't really like the game, but I can see how others might enjoy it a lot. My biggest annoyance is the amount of cutscenes and lenghty discussions. Now I understand that it's an RPGYou might feel like I'm giving this a bad score, but 6 is better than average. IN MY OPINION the game has very good stuff going on, but it is kind of ruined with small annoyining "flaws". That being said, I didn't really like the game, but I can see how others might enjoy it a lot. My biggest annoyance is the amount of cutscenes and lenghty discussions. Now I understand that it's an RPG and it's important to make a good setting for the story, but I felt like the game was forcing it to me instead of slowly easing me into it (or maybe I'm just ADHD =P). I liked the story and it made me think for a while, but I didn't like the way it was executed / told. The gameplay wasn't anything special and nothing we haven't seen before, but it was solid. Either way, this game wasn't really my cup of tea, but I have recommended it to my friends who like these kind of games. Expand
  89. Sep 2, 2011
    I did not play through the first Deus Ex or IW but I know at the very least the first game was amazing and people consider it to be a highly developed game. I suppose I took some of this into account when playing through HR and maybe I shouldn't have. Don't get me wrong this game starts out spectacular and it feels as though you have a ton of options and ways to achieve how you would likeI did not play through the first Deus Ex or IW but I know at the very least the first game was amazing and people consider it to be a highly developed game. I suppose I took some of this into account when playing through HR and maybe I shouldn't have. Don't get me wrong this game starts out spectacular and it feels as though you have a ton of options and ways to achieve how you would like to play. HR also gives a great depth in story and really foreshadows a lot of coming events that will play their course. After a little under half way through the game though and for others it could be sooner the game really starts to fall short. Limited usage of Praxis points, difficulty, voice acting, choices not mattering at all, and feeling that you already know what is going to happen actually happens are the big issues for me. Why do I say there are limited uses for the talent system in the game? For one hacking is everything and if you don't pick it up you will be playing a regular shooter. After picking up hacking their is only some niche abilities that you can pick up and they really don't alter your gameplay much if any. Picking up the ability to lift any object will do you the same good as being able to punch through walls. It's like you pick up one of them you don't need to pick up the others because one size fits all. After receiving ~15 points you won't even need to place anymore in your setup because you don't need them. This leads into the difficulty which I played on the hardest. If you choose to go the stealth route you will find that this game is easier than hell. Simply wait until your energy is at full walk to the person you intend to knock out and , don't worry about them seeing you because apparently soldiers don't have peripheral vision, and success. If you do intend to play this game on it's hardest settings you have to deal with an outdated cover system that is dreadfully boring. Granted it is a lot harder than stealthing but since when is poking out of a wall to fire a round in the head and hiding again fun? Normally I don't care about voice acting and everyone in the game was very well voiced in my opinion except for the one that matters. Adding on to his douchey apparel Jensen is the uberdouche of video games and it will be hard to dethrone the man. On another note the choices in this game don't matter at all. When it comes down to the ending you choose what you wish and it plays a cut-scene. That sure was fun when it was done oh I don't know ~10 years ago? Even when you wanted to be the dick or the good guy other little nuances would be added in so your choices actually meant something. Hell I even did something I knew would end up being terrible for me but did it affect me in any way? Nope, they had a cut-scene for that to make all my blatant stupidity just go away. Which brings us to how bad the story was, not only did you know what was going to happen half way through the game there were no surprises or twists. It was like, "Look at our visuals aren't they pretty? Oh and don't worry about the story we have more visuals for you!." The game was written like a bad Hollywood movie where you know what is going to happen from the foreshadowing that they do at the start. Getting past all of that, the game lasted me ~30 hours and from what I am thinking there is no replay ability. 45 dollars for that much of a game is just not worth it in my book and I am glad I played a friends copy and did not waste the money on it. I really want to give this game a 4/10 just because of the douche voice but I suppose a 5/10. Expand
  90. Sep 4, 2011
    disappointment really.......terrible graphics and art design, clunky controls, small maps, illogically dramatic, long and noisy takedowns, unimaginative boss fights, unrealistic stupid AI reminds me of old commandos games.......on the up side story is good with lots of choices, stealth is decent and some augs are cool.......but really overall its a mess
  91. Sep 3, 2011
    I'm really not sure why people are scoring this game so high. I've seen everything Human Revolution has to offer in other games--it's just a combination of all those offerings, except none of them are particularly all that well conceived. This would be perfectly acceptable if the story and characters were interesting...they're not. The main character was shipped right out of the "stockI'm really not sure why people are scoring this game so high. I've seen everything Human Revolution has to offer in other games--it's just a combination of all those offerings, except none of them are particularly all that well conceived. This would be perfectly acceptable if the story and characters were interesting...they're not. The main character was shipped right out of the "stock character factory", and the story...well...it was intriguing at first but then I completely lost track of why I should give a ****

Let it be known that I'm a big fan of the original Deus Ex, and even played through the lowly Invisible War twice. I'm a sucker for games that allow choice, but this game just didn't grab me. Between the dated overly-gold visuals, long and frequent load times, hit-or-miss voice acting, uninspired weapons and augmentations, zero NPC dynamics, tiny confined areas, and the predictable choices that mostly boil down to "Would you like to shoot your way through the front, or take a vent that's probably around the back behind a box that's highlighted for you?" I couldn't force myself through this game. Surely we've come far enough in 11 years to allow more side entrance options than vents? Human Revolution is certainly Deus Ex for the new generation--but as a veteran PC gamer I feel like it's been dumbed down and streamlined for the masses; sort of like Invisible War only much slower paced and generally more annoying.

Everything of importance is highlighted for you, so you can pretty much just go on autopilot through the environments. The hacking mini-game isn't difficult at all, and it made me wish I could just use a multitool instead and bypass the thing. Pretty much all of the weapons handle easily as soon as you get them, so there's not much incentive to put points into your combat augmentations. Passwords you obtain are slapped on the screen when you hack something, so you don't actually have to read or memorize anything. When you get shot, your health automatically regenerates instead of having to heal separate parts of your body and repair specific injuries that hinder your performance. Ragdoll physics go absolutely bonkers when using the crossbow. I could go on, and on.

Deus Ex was a revolution in gameplay when it was released back in 2000. 11 years later, we get a flashier game that doesn't really do anything new, and in fact goes back a few steps. Those who give this game a 10 really should replay the original Deus Ex and see just how much more atmospheric, expansive, fast-paced, and smarter it is. It's unfortunate that new graphics so often cloud our judgment, but I think that's exactly what's going on here.
  92. Sep 6, 2011
    Interesting story, cool main character and many ways of completing the game [ stealth/rambo style/"silver tongue :P] those are things I enjoyed about the game. However the graphics are terrible and look like from 2005, optimization is poor, dx 11 is a joke and well some mechanics are really bad for example shooting with guns also the ending was very disappointing and Megan's plot is dumb.Interesting story, cool main character and many ways of completing the game [ stealth/rambo style/"silver tongue :P] those are things I enjoyed about the game. However the graphics are terrible and look like from 2005, optimization is poor, dx 11 is a joke and well some mechanics are really bad for example shooting with guns also the ending was very disappointing and Megan's plot is dumb. I would give 7 but for a legendary game with high budget its too much and come on... ".bmp as a background wtf year do we have?? cause definietely it s not 2027... Expand
  93. Apr 22, 2013
    Sorry but what on Earth am I reading here? Have you people who voted 10 played the game? I created a Metacritic account in order to express my opinion on this game. In this case it is worth your time reading the negative reviews. I bought this on Steam and uninstalled it twice before reinstalling it lately to give it another chance (pc version). Despite going through hours and hours ofSorry but what on Earth am I reading here? Have you people who voted 10 played the game? I created a Metacritic account in order to express my opinion on this game. In this case it is worth your time reading the negative reviews. I bought this on Steam and uninstalled it twice before reinstalling it lately to give it another chance (pc version). Despite going through hours and hours of anguish to get the game to run properly after buying it 2 years ago I have still to play it for more than 25 hours. This game is so so so dull. Another massive flaw are the graphics. Square Design obviously originally planned this for a PS2 release in the early 2000's and recently added the newer effects. I am not joking. The character models and general design are exactly the same as some of Squares poorer PS2 efforts from years and years ago. The only thing lacking is the jagged edges, which they have covered with fogging and particle effects. I gave it a 5 but while thinking while writing this I should downgrade it to a 3 or 4 but I will not give this rubbish game any more of my time. Gamers (pc or console) you need to vote with your wallet as to the quality of the products you receive. This was a terrible, terrible game. Expand
  94. Dec 16, 2013
    I didn't particularly care for this version of Deus Ex. I absolutely loved the first one and I even some what enjoyed the second, granted it was nowhere near the masterpiece the original was, I still found it enjoyable. However, Human Revolution, for me, is just plain boring and uninspired. The hacking aspect is annoying, weapons and abilities feel bland and uninspired and the voiceI didn't particularly care for this version of Deus Ex. I absolutely loved the first one and I even some what enjoyed the second, granted it was nowhere near the masterpiece the original was, I still found it enjoyable. However, Human Revolution, for me, is just plain boring and uninspired. The hacking aspect is annoying, weapons and abilities feel bland and uninspired and the voice acting, graphics and overall feel of the game are just lousy. I typically do not bash on a game for graphics if the core of the game is amazing..something this one is not.

I am only halfway through the game at this point and it's become a chore to even boot it up, there have been times I've stared at the load/continue screen for a moment and say to myself..forget it and close the game and play something else...it's just boring and I have no excitement or desire to play most times. I am fortunate I only paid $7.50 for it on Steam, if I had paid $50+ I would have been really peeved.
  95. Jun 22, 2016
    I played the original Deus Ex long after it's original release and to this day, I feel like it's impact may have been lost on me as a result. But it felt like a game far ahead of it's time, when compared to other first-person games of the era. In that way alone, Human Revolution does not stand out, as it lives in an age of many decent action-RPGs. Still, it's an incredibly stylish game.I played the original Deus Ex long after it's original release and to this day, I feel like it's impact may have been lost on me as a result. But it felt like a game far ahead of it's time, when compared to other first-person games of the era. In that way alone, Human Revolution does not stand out, as it lives in an age of many decent action-RPGs. Still, it's an incredibly stylish game. Adam Jensen is a smooth operator and a great character to play, and there's many ways through a given situation, and you're rewarded for exploring, doing side missions and generally trying to think outside of "pull trigger, receive experience." That said, the boss fights felt very underwhelming and the entire last few hours were a mess, especially the "ending." I feel like Edios Montreal were damned from the start, as making a prequel to a game like Deus Ex means that the game necessarily ends on a low note, and doesn't leave one with a lot of satisfaction. But getting there? That's the good part. Expand
  96. Jul 13, 2013
    A fluid gameplay (which stumbles onto useless cinematic of "takedowns"), a rather linear scenario but broadened by possible personal choices. However, the general aesthetics is disturbing at first, dull in the end. On maximum difficulty, the game fails to provide real challenges. I am trying to avoid comparison to the initial sets but they had a real ambiance. By this one, paradoxically toA fluid gameplay (which stumbles onto useless cinematic of "takedowns"), a rather linear scenario but broadened by possible personal choices. However, the general aesthetics is disturbing at first, dull in the end. On maximum difficulty, the game fails to provide real challenges. I am trying to avoid comparison to the initial sets but they had a real ambiance. By this one, paradoxically to the scenario and how the hero is involved in the story, I failed to attach to his fate.

The good:
    - The fluidity of the gameplay
    - The quality of the graphics
    - The work on the characters

The bad:
    - The general ambiance
    - The somewhat linearity of the scenario
    - The constant short cinematic for the take-downs
    - I miss a good DLC (I won't go into critics of the missing link)
    - The repeatability of the strategy, or the dullness of the AI
  97. Mar 28, 2013
    I really like this game, I just cant enjoy it because the developer will not fix the poor mouse support. The mouse aiming seems to not want to respond immediately. It takes about 8 seconds for it to respond when using a controller mouse. That's bad.
  98. Apr 14, 2013
    To begin with, Deus Ex is a good game making me play over 20+ hours for a single play-through. With its interesting approach in combat lethal or non-lethal. It also features side-quests and it's augmentation skills are cool. However, this game is dumb downed with it's stupid AI in which I can give you evidence. I ran right in front of an enemy yet he still doesn't detect me. AI is purelyTo begin with, Deus Ex is a good game making me play over 20+ hours for a single play-through. With its interesting approach in combat lethal or non-lethal. It also features side-quests and it's augmentation skills are cool. However, this game is dumb downed with it's stupid AI in which I can give you evidence. I ran right in front of an enemy yet he still doesn't detect me. AI is purely blind and foolish, and the story is decent which I had already forgotten about it. I still haven't mention about it's bad boss fights, the devs just seem to use normal enemy AI to a more powerful "guard". I managed to survive a boss fight without losing a health since *he* just kept shooting at a wall. Finally, you will find a ridiculous fall damage height in the game to prevent this get an augmentation
    Overall DE:HR is a good game but doesn't stand up to be a great game (8-10/10) in my review but it has been a fun ride playing this.
  99. Mar 20, 2013
    Engaging Storyline, cyber punk visual effects, and important rpg elements brings you a pre-quel set in various countries. DEUS EX HUMAN REVOLUTION! With techo beat soundtracks and amazing trailers will bring players as they discover the secrets and conspiracy of the Aluminati and cooperates. Weird edgy controls and off lip-sync animation makes that game so much more alive. Large variety ofEngaging Storyline, cyber punk visual effects, and important rpg elements brings you a pre-quel set in various countries. DEUS EX HUMAN REVOLUTION! With techo beat soundtracks and amazing trailers will bring players as they discover the secrets and conspiracy of the Aluminati and cooperates. Weird edgy controls and off lip-sync animation makes that game so much more alive. Large variety of weapons can be stored in Leon Kennedy's suit case from resident evil 4. Awkward third person to first person cover system makes mouse and keyboard users feel awkward about themselves as they questioned themselves what makes this game so hard to play. A revolutionary ending that disturbs other game that they literally destroyed the entire trilogy (mass effect). The main character complaining that he has been agumented back to life, but seriously though everyone just makes fun of him. DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION. Expand
  100. Aug 25, 2013
    Graphics look simple,but OK for the yellow mood is quite "unique".Faces in the game are mostly crude judging with the standard of the year 2011.
    Individual sequences are not accessible to play individually.I know that they are a whole play built upon what we have chosen through playing and cannot be divided,while I'm not feeling entertained for this a bit "hardcore" set of gameplay.
    Maneuver of 3rd person is not so convenient,with the "take cover" part functions like Hitman:Absolution but worse.
    Good game,but not so good as I imagined.
  101. Aug 25, 2011
    The few people that don't like this game because the graphics aren't up to their standards don't know a good game. Personally, I got one of the best graphics cards out right now and the game looks crystal. All consoles won't be able to show how good it is because consoles are outdated compared to the new graphics technology for computers. If you can't spring to run high graphics don'tThe few people that don't like this game because the graphics aren't up to their standards don't know a good game. Personally, I got one of the best graphics cards out right now and the game looks crystal. All consoles won't be able to show how good it is because consoles are outdated compared to the new graphics technology for computers. If you can't spring to run high graphics don't flame the game makers because you can't keep up with technology. This is also a good sized game too. At almost 9GB it would be crazy to up the graphics higher on all the models making probably close to 16GB+ Collapse

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 30, 2011
    There are only a few games this year we suggest to 16-yrs old gamers and their fathers together. Human Revolution for sure is a Game of the Year nominee. [Oct 2011]
    So despite the odds being stacked against it, Eidos Montreal accomplished the impossible and brought us a Deus Ex in the true sense of the word, probably the best one that we could have hoped for considering the current "requirements" for being commercially successful nowadays.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 10, 2011
    A worthy successor to one of the greatest games ever. It offers a lot of choice on many levels and feels like an RPG from years past - in a very good way. One of the best, if not the best game of 2011. [Oct 2011]