8.4

1. Nov 11, 2011
    First off, i didn't want this game. I bought it for Onlive cloud gaming service just to get the free console hardware. Well, when it was released i was mesmerized. it is such a great game!!!!!!! Play metal gear solid stealth style, hacking computers, sneaking up on baddies and sneaking past them. Or, you can go in guns ablazing and punch through walls or whatever. there is a very complex skill tree that you build up depending on what style you want to play, and there are many interesting sidequests that should keep you busy. Get this game if you like engrossing 40+ hour action rpgs. Expand
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    Pretty fun. Great graphics and solid controls, though the shooting is a bit floaty. The game does favor the stealthy player a bit too much for my tastes, you get more exp and it's also easier to do. The campaign is very good and it took me over 20 hours to finish. There is some replay value for those who want to change the decisions they make (decisions to change small things throughout the story) or go for a different style of playthrough. The only big negative i can think of is the boss battles, which are god awful. Overall, it's a great game, well worth the purchase. Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    It lives up the Deus Ex name, full of great. with a slight glitch hear and there but not enough to keep you from enjoying a great story and gameplay. simply worth its retail price.
  4. Jul 31, 2012
    Rarely does a game get so many game-play elements right as Deus Ex: Human Revolution does. It is a semi-open world mission-based game that revolves around infiltrating hostile locations and retrieving objectives. The approach you take towards reaching your objective is completely up to you, and you will be rewarded accordingly. You can walk through the front door and engage in an all-out gunfight (although it is worth noting that on PC, aiming down your sights is toggle-only) provided you have the weapons, ammunition and FPS skill to take all of your enemies down, or you can find an alternate entry and sneak past guards undetected, taking them down silently as you crawl through the shadows. I found this approach to be more fun and more rewarding, as exploring secret areas and finding uncommon routes to your objective will net you XP and item rewards. While there is no level or level cap in the game, gaining enough XP by taking down enemies, finding secret areas and completing objectives will earn you praxis points, which can be invested into the game's skill tree. These upgrades that you can purchase using praxis, called augmentations, will increase your chances of survival and should reflect your play style. If you tend to find yourself in gunfights a lot, you'll want to upgrade your weapon damage and health. If you're a sneaky bugger and you don't want your enemies to know what hit them, you'll probably be best off purchasing the stealth augmentations. If you like coercing others into sharing your point of view in conversations, you'll want the augmentation that allows you to see how people are reacting to what you're saying.
    Stealth is arguably the tougher method of completing the game, but I found it to be extremely rewarding. I have not played any other Deus Ex game before, nor am I particularly fond of stealth games; I struggle to complete Splinter Cell games. But Human Revolution is very accessible for the average player, the balancing is great and it never feels like the game has an unfair advantage over you, nor that it is too easy. And even if you bought the game expecting an FPS, you won't be disappointed. The shooting feels varied and functional, with an array of weapons at your disposal.
    Between these missions, you will have time to explore the cities the game takes place in. There may not be a lot of them and they may not be very large in size, but they're just enough to allow you some breathing space between the fast-paced action that takes place during missions. You can sell and buy items, talk to people and look for loot around areas such as Detroit or Hengsha, a Chinese city with a completely different atmosphere. Sometimes I felt as though the game could offer me a little more freedom in roaming its setting, but it's nothing that will ruin the experience.
    The game's story won't leave you sobbing, but it's a solid tale that holds together the masterful game-play. Some bits in particular that I won't spoil, were very well made and truly had an impact on the way I viewed the characters involved.
    This game is fantastic. Solid shooting, balanced and very rewarding stealth, a thoughtfully made skill tree, all surrounded by a good story make for a very fun experience. If you're remotely interested in stealth, or if you want a shooter with a little more meaning to it, definitely purchase Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
  5. Nov 20, 2011
    Not as good as the original, but considering how good the original was, that's not saying much.

This game is just dripping with atmosphere, from the renaisence inspired art style to the sometimes chilling music. The characters are perfect and you really get a sense of tension, desperation and loss. The details are all there, form Adam's cracked mirror, the memorial to your murdered
    collegues and comments about detroits economic situation.

Now to gameplay. Fantastic fun, but unfortunately easy, even on the hardest setting. There are so many choices available for completing even the simplest of tasks you will never see them all, even after 10 play throughs. Some are absolutely inspired, some are just hidden air-vents.

Worth every penny, I finished the main game, then went straight to starting it again, this time without taking a life or being detected. The real seller is choosing how you play, and in that respect this game is perfect.

The story howver, does not change depending on your actions, and was the primary complaint I had about this game.
  6. Mar 9, 2012
    Intense, in depth, fun to play, doesn't get old, DLCs that are worth it, smooth engine and amazing graphics, gameplay that makes you feel badass. It's like somebody took the game disks for Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid, LA Noire, Batman, and Timesplitters, and glued them together with pure **** This game is that good. Oh, and if the gameplay and game throughout didn't seal the deal for this being the best game ever, you know what did? The endings. Every single one is amazingly written, and collectively I think they could be called the best ending(s) in the history of video games. Sorry Earthbound. Buyer analysis: It seems to go on sale a lot lately, but I would even say this one is worth buying at full price. The DLC too. Expand
  7. Nov 28, 2011
    Excellent game. Gives the very same feeling as the original game, where you are free to make your own choices, and those choices have a permanent effect in the world. This makes the game very immersive, where you really give a thought on every move you make.
  8. Dec 3, 2011
    It was never going to be the sequel anyone wanted, but Human Revolution is a fine game. More ambitious than most "Triple A" titles dare to even dream of being, with a well-realised aesthetic and building reasonably well on a strong pre-existing setting. The game is only really let down by the awkward character movements during dialogue and boss fights that feel like they'd fit right into a PS2 game from 2003. Expand
  9. Dec 7, 2011
    I must warn i didn't play any of the Deus Ex before. The game turns out boring really fast and i had to drive my self time over time to keep playing in hope i would recover the initial hype, but that never happened.

Let me tell you the good things. The atmosphere. The game play. The story premise. The characters. The background. Everything feels right in the beginning of the game. This
    feeling start growing as you progress through the game and discover new things about the environment, the characters, background and story unfolds.

Unfortunately somewhere around middle game the levels start to stretch the same game play mechanics all over again, the enemies are the same and the story stops unfolding and starts to burp incoherent scenes. The game stops being fun and you forget what was great in the beginning.

The first 10 hours of game play are excellent, and for 10 game play hours it's worth 20$ - 25$ tops (around the same gameplay as portal 2). Then you can put the game into the shelve, because the game becomes modern Half-Life for half the fun.

I'd give it 8 if i would pretend the game has finished when i finished having fun with it.
  10. Dec 20, 2011
    Human Revolution is a decent sequel. It doesn't quite live up to the first, but thankfully, it blows the second away.

Combat feels decent, except for a few buggy melee take-downs. Stealth feels too easy, almost as though every henchman is badly nearsighted and hard of hearing. Also, while harder difficulty settings provide more realistic gunfights, they don't make enemies any smarter or
    more observant. Dialogue is generally interesting and well done, and the story arc - while occasionally a little bland or predictable - offers a dark vision of the future that makes the whole experience worthwhile. One of the game's biggest drawbacks are the boss fights. They don't feel very distinct from one another, and most of the bosses are extremely vulnerable to pathing glitches and explosives. In fact, even on the hardest difficulty, almost every boss can be defeated without effort by repeatedly throwing explosive mines at their feet. Not very climactic.

But, again, the plot and role-playing elements make this title worth the money, even if it's no game of the year.
  11. Jan 1, 2012
    This is an excellent cyber-punk game with very nice rpg gameplay, amazing graphics, and a deep cyber story with references to Phillip Dick, William Gibson. The only negative to this title is the boss fights.
  12. Mar 24, 2012
    In the first part of the Deus Ex played quite late, in 2004. But from the very beginning I knew that this game is a genius. Extraordinary and captivating story was the biggest advantage of the game. In my opinion Deus Ex: Human Revolution perfectly captures the spirit of the original and moved it in 2011. Absolutely you have to play! For me the game of the year 2011.
  13. Jul 6, 2012
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is good, really good. Though the graphic is a little bit weird (orange in almost entire game), it does not affect the great game play. Jensen sounds like some dying patient at first, but story telling gets better when you got used to Jensen's voice. The endings were absolutely awesome and it actually left me something to think about.
  14. Dec 1, 2012
    Awesome game to begin with particularly for those who like a perfect blend of stealth and shooting (more emphasis on stealth actually). The game takes time to pick up the pace but once it does, it's a complete amusement. With the awesome conspiracy story which keeps changing it's course, innovative way-finding gameplay and an awesome character Adam Jensen, this game really makes you absorbed in its own world.
    The only flaw is the boss battle because they are total hardcore action but Jensen can't keep up with any boss practically and because the game is mainly stealth oriented, it pisses you off sometimes.
    In a nutshell, it's a great game with awesome story line and innovative gameplay mechanics. I would rate it #2 in my list of Best Games of 2011 after Witcher 2.
  15. Jan 24, 2012
    Very good hybrid gameplay,excellent atmosphere,great story and technology,flawless soundtrack = I love this game.A true sequel to a great game.A must have game for a true gamer.
  16. Mar 4, 2012
    Overall, a pretty decent game if you play it at least as a quasi-stealth approach.

PROS -Lots of weapons to choose from (or none at all if you want to do entirely melee takedowns). The movement and the combat is fluid enough that there is no real awkwardness in either sneaking or fighting. Augmentations do let you choose which style of play fits you better, and they are sparse enough
    that you actually do have to make choices about which ones you want; although if you play total stealth and get all the bonuses for not being seen, by the end of the game you will have most things. The story isn't bad, and fleshes out the back story of the first game since this takes place before it. There are a few character references and names and such that hint at things in the first game.

CONS- If you do play for stealth you basically don't use any weapons except in boss fights and that's too bad because some of them are interesting enough. The boss fights are EXTREMELY out of place in the game, especially if you go a stealth route, though they aren't too tough, especially if you carry a spare heavy weapon, and a stun gun. The last "boss fight" and really the last entire level was very anti climactic. Hacking is way too over used, there are literally 50-100 things in every area that can be hacked... and the way the augmentations are broken out to improve hacking just requires way too many points to be good at it (unless you play total stealth then you have more than enough). The chinese city was WAY too large and convoluted to navigate well, even after being there repeatedly in the game and overall spending a few hours there. The facial animations, and movement in general (at the very least for the half a dozen characters you get up close and have important conversations with) should have been a lot better, they look a bit dated and wooden. The voice acting is just... off. Maybe because the animations don't show emotion well, or maybe because the particular voices they chose just didn't work, i'm not sure. If you play with quasi-stealth and don't care about the stealth bonuses, it is not terribly difficult to kill everything and just hide when they come for you and repeat. As a straight shooting game it would be far less entertaining than trying for full stealth, and would probably be fairly easy and tedious.

Overall I actually found it a reasonable successor to the original, and certainly better than invisible war by far. This game does emphasize the stealth a little more than the original that merely offered it as an attractive choice, however you certainly don't have to play as stealth and can brute force it. The story line isn't quite as complex, but was reasonably entertaining if not partially predictable. I am usually the first to hate games that are also released on console because of them being (dumbed down) but really I don't think this game suffered from that nearly as much as people claim. Honestly any negativity from fans of the original is probably from people who haven't played the original in a while and remember it being more than it was. There was more freedom, and the story was a little better in the original, but a lot of the basic game elements and premises are still here, and this game embraces it's own kind of exploration with the cities that the original really didn't have as much except in wan chai.
  17. Mar 18, 2012
    Had a great time with this one. Initially, I took upgrades to stealth, which became crippling at several of the boss fights. The level design, progression, writing were all very strong. Cover system, also brilliant, emulating a 'hold' style similar to rainbow six vegas. A more superior combat/rpg than any of the mass effects.
  18. Feb 27, 2012
    Deus Ex was the first FPS I ever played that had weapons upgrades and Body Augmentations. I really enjoyed being able to customize my character and it also allows me to replay with different combat approaches. The story is fantastic and makes up for the few shortcomings this game has. I congratulate the staff involved in the development of this game it was well thought out and very enjoyable to play. In a perfect world the AI would be better and mobs would hide more often. Graphically I saw nothing new and didnt care because of the storyline (same reason I keep playing halflife) I gave this game a 9 because i felt like the quests were too linear and there weren't enough side quests maybe 1 to 3 per zone(prob 95% less than Skyrim ;p) and I really disliked the way the radar and map functions worked. The best part of this game in my opinion, your character talks even though my favorite game is halflife 2 i hate how in some FPSers (halflife 2 ;p) they direct the dialogue and story telling to cater a non talking character TRON is an excellent example of this. In my opinion not talking causes you to be more removed from the story not less and game makers should just ditch that idea. Give us a choice what to say or just talk. If you play games for the story then this is a must buy. Expand
  19. Apr 20, 2012
    This game is awe inspiring, and an experience that I would recommend to anyone. The visuals, music, and overall atmosphere pulls you in from the first few minutes, and never lets you go. It took me awhile to adjust to the combat / stealth gameplay, but once I did, it was really fun sneaking around and getting stuff done. The only thing that bothered me was the boss battles. They are stupid, annoying, and in many ways, don't fit into the game properly. I also didn't find this game to be addicting at all (certainly not in the way that something like Skyrim is); I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but there you go. Expand
  20. Mar 4, 2012
    The game is fun and highly polished (and at the same time, simplified). It runs remarkably well on my dated PC, and loading times are very short. My main gripe with DX: HR is that it's so short; I tried to finish every single secondary mission I could find, but I still clocked only 20 hours of gameplay according to Steam.
  21. Mar 10, 2012
    Liked the game very much. Cyberpunk atmosphere, high-tech and other stuff really get me excited when i was playing this game. What about graphics, it's not so important thing in games like this, but it's smooth and the doesn't spoil the game experience.
  22. Mar 11, 2012
    Keep playing, this game worth it, It really should have been the game of the year,dont be fooled by the aparently outdated graphics, (one tip, turn off the brightness and it will look much better), the gameplay is exelent, the desing is exelent too, the story it just gets better and better in the game, This is a serious game, not trying be appeal to the masses, but it succeeds doing it, because its not trying fool or manipulate the audience, like mass effect series.

I'll give it 9, and not 10 because of the boss fights, they are easy unbalance and little dumb. (but it doesn't bring down the game as whole)
  23. Mar 18, 2012
    This is a fantastic game! I was a fan of the original, but not a fan of Deus Ex 2. And I have to admit, I was really impressed with this game! The graphics aren't brilliant, but the atmosphere and environment are. This game brings back Cyberpunk, with street gangs, robots and cool tech. The sound effects and music makes this game feel like you 're in the Bladerunner movie. The main character is really cool and calm, but you can play as a good guy or a bad ass depending on how the player completes the guests. This game stays true to the original Deus Ex, but there are a couple things which tarnish this game on PC . For example, you are limited to activating only 4 augments at a time which is the same on console. Why couldn't it be more like on the the origin? Also, there is recovering HP and recharging Energy, which makes the player feel almost invincible. This makes playing the game not as challenging the second time around which is a shame because I was expecting Hard mode to be Hardcore! Another thing that disgruntled me was the terrible boss battles which were poorly designed. But overall this game is recommend to anyone who loves Cyberpunk RPG or FPS games! Expand
  24. Apr 18, 2012
    I am finding that I actually love his game. The atmosphere and maps are great and while the graphics are generally sub-par (console limitations) they are generally forgivable given the story. The story. Love the story. I enjoyed the original Deus Ex way back when and this story flows nicely right into it, as intended. The ending fits with the storyline very well (unlike the total assf*ck idiot ending of Mass Effect 3). Character animations are odd at times - I kept thinking everyone in the game has Parkinson's and not as good as those of Mass Effect (the entire series). The hand-to-hand takedowns are a real kick and I never got tired of watching Adam do non-lethal takedowns on enemy after enemy. The lethal take-downs were OK too but I just preferred the more varied non-lethals.

I definitely like the conversation modes in the game with a half-dozen special conversations that you have to navigate JUST SO in order to obtain a good outcome. Blow it and you don't get a second chance short of going back to a save you made prior to the key conversation. There is an augmentation you can acquire that is supposed to help you "read" people so you can navigate these key conversations better but, honestly, I did better NOT using it and just going on my own gut. In fact, the conversation augment confused me and misled me more than it helped but YMMV. I did ONE playthrough of Mass Effect 3 as was so pissed and angry about the STUPID ending that I couldn't bring myself to play ANY of the Mass Effect games again so here I am...doing yet another playthrough of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. At this point, I've already played it more times than I did even Mass Effect 2. Going from Mass Effect games to Deus Ex: Human Revolution it did take me some time to get used to the differences, mainly the oddity of DEHR going from first person to third person rather than sticking with one or the other all the time. From having played so much Mass Effect (before ME3 ruined it all) I got to really really like third person - and this is coming from someone who had been almost a pure first person game guy. While I would prefer to have had DEHR third person all the way, like with the Mass Effect games, I have quickly come to accept the way of DEHR. Great game, great atmosphere, great story, great soundtrack. Play this game again and again (instead of trying Mass Effect 3 even once...seriously, you wont regret it).
  25. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This isn't a perfect game, but it's a 10 to me. The feel of the world, the visuals, the story.. it all works so well. The gameplay is fun, and it gives you several options on how to do most things. A minor niggle here, would be that you get more xp for using non-lethal measures, but as that is how I prefer to play anyway, I just love it. The story and the levels are great throughout, except for a bit of a sloppy final act. The whole thing with the "zombies" on Panchaea, and the somewhat lackluster endings. These are minor issues though, as far as I'm concerned. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and I really hope there will be a sequel, either to this game or to one of the earlier ones.

Not a perfect game, but an amazing one! 10/10!
  26. Jun 15, 2012
    To me, this game was dead the moment I shot the first bullet. The controls are just unresponsive, and even though you hit, you don't, or vice versa.
    In order to be playable, a game has to get at least the basics right, and this game just doesn't cut it.
  27. Apr 26, 2012
    this was a really great game if i take it as a whole, but as someone said earlier, it kinda gets a little bit boring becouse of the same content all the time (hacking, "Q to the face!" and crawling in shafts, but overall, i enjoyed it so thats why it owns a spot on my best games of the year
  28. Apr 2, 2012
    This game is not perfect, but it's REALLY GOOD. It does everything a Deus ex fan wants correctly. The graphics are a bit dated, and the acting can be hilariously bad at times (Which somehow adds to the fun) but overall, Deus ex is a great game and a great prequel to another great game.
  29. Apr 19, 2012
    My favorite game this year after ME3, it really goes to the roots of deus ex 1, the second game was a joke everyone knows that. This one has its own cyber punk style design which gives you the feel like beeing in a blade runner movie. So much posibilities, the only bad side is that boss fights always go same way even if you are not an soldier or use only powers you have to kill bosses the same way as a soldier which is a bit to bad. But still it doesnt ruin the game. Expand
  30. Apr 24, 2012
    A great and truly inspiring comeback of one of the most underrated series in history. Well-rounded rpg game that captures some of the essence of first deus ex. Great graphics in terms of design, fantastic atmosphere, strong gameplay and well constructed and mature plot easily surpassing all quasi-rpg stories in skyrim, fallout3, oblivion, etc. That's how it should be done
  31. May 1, 2012
    A decent game, really. It's different from any other games I've seen so far. A unique experience too. From the moment I saw the release trailer, I knew this was a really inspiring game. The storyline is unprecedented; deep, dark and interesting, it immerses me in a world that I'll never ever forget. The game-play is also unique; it grants me options on how to accomplish a mission, whether to be a soldier and storm into a room full of turrets and enemies or to be an assassin, taking down enemies stealthily or just slip past them. The cover system is also cool. The augmentation feature is great; you can play it in whatever way you want to. The voice-acting and cinematic- superb. The graphics are just beautiful on high settings. The only downfall in this game is the boss fight. They kind of limit your options to only one, which is to defeat them. All downfalls aside, I would definitely recommend this game to everyone. A 9.4 out of 10. Expand
  32. May 18, 2012
    A perfect combination of Crysis, the old Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid, X-Files and Mass Effect, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a shooter, semi RPG, cyberpunk-themed game that sucks you in.

The stealth missions, the shooting, the mini quest, the free roaming, the inventory arranging, the weapon's choices, and last, the augmentations. Those are the goods of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

The bad?
    Boss fights. The boss fights will never, ever fit in the game. Just like a "Z" Tetris' puzzle piece, it's annoying and you can't make it disappear (or skip it). For a game that promote stealth, it's quite surprising that the developer could think of boss fights will fit well in the game. Expand
  33. May 25, 2012
    There is very little to hate about a game that has everything that a shooter and realist freak loves. The fact that the environment that you play in affects the future of your game makes this game outrageously beautiful. In this game you start of as a security officer for a human enhancement company, and you end up being a very highly purposed man (with great guns). In this game you have to be smart, you just can't run into a place and expect to survive. Also, what you do with people and specially your guns dictates on what happens to your game-play. I love this game because it has great graphics and everything is so realistic (as far as games go). Expand
  34. Aug 6, 2013
    I tried hard to love this game. Deleted and redownloaded again for 4 times in hope I missed something last time. I was not.
    Game is just extremely boring with bad voice acting, game mechanic, gameplay and story.
    I usually never give 0 to games because people put effort to make it, but in this one couldn't find even 1 good thing. Seems even Steam discount price of 3.75 euro was wasted money
  35. Oct 5, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game, must play, it's not perfect but the story itself, voice acting are epic.

And it could be much, much more, theres so much rom for improvment, I can't wait for DeusEX: Universe
  36. Sep 25, 2012
    Overall I enjoyed this game. Being a fan of the RPG genre, I was a little disappointed with the augmentations spec. I feel RPG's should force to you to make meaningful decisions on your choices, but I did not necessarily feel that with Human Revolution. In the beginning, objectives can be met in multiple ways and in the end I unlocked all augmentations minus the pointless ones. Despite what I read from others saying there is a ton of replayability from this game, I don't see any since my character spec was ultimately irrelevant throughout the game. Looking past this, however, I still did enjoy this game. The game play was solid and the story line was one of the first I've come across in a while that was actually compelling. Expand
  37. Oct 18, 2012
    As a cyberpunk fan i dived into this game with lots of expectations and all thing lived up to the hype! It's a great game with great script, writing, dialogue, intrigue and stealth/FPS/RPG elements. It worth every penny spent on it!
  38. May 24, 2013
    Deus Ex Human Revolution (DEHR) seems to want to go back to the roots of the original Deus Ex, not with a gripping story, but with graphics that seem to go back in time, to bland environments that all look the same. The graphics in this game are shockingly BAD for a game made in 2011. Some of the cutscenes especially the CINEMATICS are much better, but the quality there is also pretty patchy. Very little reaches or maintains the high standard set by Bioware with Mass Effect 2. So many reviewers have commented about the bad animations for a simple reason. THEY ARE DREADFUL. But look at the 1998 level of textures in the environments and you can see that they share the same low standards. The game seems to try too hard to compensate for its poor visuals with an 'edgy story' that is really parade of cliches washed over in a dreary and unrelenting sepia palette! The rooms and physical assets of the game feel retro and clunky, the same dumbassed boxes piled literally EVERYWHERE. The same cliched airducts and waist high glass walls for cover. The same dumb computer terminals. All looking like the next best thing from 1998. Playing this game I'm sorry to say I felt embarrassed for the development team. Their hearts were in the right place and the augumentations were kind of ok. In the end I couldn't be assed using stealth, because I didn't want to waste time trapped in the dreary maze of always-the-same places assets and choices. Just run up to bad guys and shotgun them in the face. There is no penalty for failure as death just puts you back a few meters and lets you try again. This game didn't bring Deus Ex into the 21st century. it leaves it stick back in the 20th. Thankfully the publisher understands the real worth (lessness) of this game and often has it on sale for around $7 on Steam. At this price it is not too painful and is recommended as a tutorial in the perils of LACKING AMBITION to shine. The high number of 10 svores in here are unbelievable. I hope that the development team stop spending time creating spurious accounts to boost the reputation of their work, and instead spend their energies earning real 10s by making BETTER GAMES. Expand
  39. Aug 21, 2013
    Much like the first Deus Ex, this game feels quite flawed and incomplete. Much about he game also leaves you feeling disconnected: the voice acting, the character's behaviors, the truncated settings, the clumsy combat and nonsensical storyline.

If you want a game like this, I'd suggest just playing through Vampire the Masquarade Bloodlines again. But if you've already gone through all
    the clans and combat styles, then maybe check this game out. Expand
  40. Dec 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Pros] Excellent story & storytelling, serene & memorable soundtrack, builds unique atmosphere for each area, strong characters with motives, balanced RPG elements, many stealth & non-lethal options [Cons] Mediocre & spotty graphics, overly compressed cutscenes (thanks again, consoles), shoe-horned boss battles, stupid zombie level, "choose your adventure" endings. Overall, this is a fantastic sequel to the legendary Deus Ex (Invisible War doesn't exist) and worth picking up for fans of the original or newcomers to the series. Expand
  41. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is so incredibly fun and strategic. I don
  42. Nov 28, 2012
    The original Deus Ex was one of those games that sucks you in and leaves a lasting impact that even 12 years later has you occasionally nodding with nostalgic approval at the fond memories of playing it. So it's obvious that when I heard about the new prequel that was supposed to capture that same vibe, it was a must have. I didn't just invest in the game, I chose my new PC on the basis that it could run this game. And sure, it's good, it's occasionally fun and the world is absolutely brimming over with little interesting details like conversations, emails and props that make it appear living and breathing. I love the stealth feature where the camera goes third person when hiding behind walls and objects, and the visual aesthetics and music aren't a letdown. However, when I got near the end of the game, I either got bored or got a bout of gamer fatigue, and I would argue that if a game ever lets you experience that, then it's not worthy a 9 or an 8. It's a good game - no doubt about that - but the experience I had was nowhere near that of the original 2000 release. If you haven't played any game in the series, go get the original. It's on Steam and it's cheap. If you've played that one and want to pick this one up, prepare to be - if not very, then a little disappointed. Expand
  43. Dec 18, 2012
    In this depressing age in which games like Splinter Cell: Conviction and Hitman: Absolution routinely betray virtually everything that made their predecessors so unique and enjoyable, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of very few sources of hope for the future of the gaming industry. I've played through the game several times (always on the highest difficulty), and am still finding new things to achieve. On my most recent playthrough, I managed to get through the entire game without upgrading a single augmentation. This is a perfect example of the immense freedom of choice this classic offers. I'm also a huge fan of Deus Ex 1, and the entirety of Human Revolution plays like a massive tribute to the original game. Even the music couldn't be more perfect, actually retaining Deus Ex 1's format of constant (and amazing) music that changes based on what's going on. I've become completely addicted to knocking out and hiding every guard in perfect stealth, always looking forward to the Ghost XP bonus upon completion of every objective. The only thing in this masterpiece that I don't approve of is the boss fights (which should have been exactly like the one at the end of The Missing Link DLC), but I've gotten to the point where I can easily defeat each without even having to carry a single lethal weapon. And the PC version feels perfect, even offering things like two separate walk keys for both toggling and holding. I have no idea why there are any negative user reviews for this game. It's utterly brilliant, and the closest thing to a modern version of Deus Ex 1 that anyone could ever realistically expect from the gaming industry these days. Expand
  44. Dec 5, 2012
    Awesome ambient soundtrack(even now i listen it sometimes), awesome combined gameplay, storyline with moral choice, you choose ending of the story. 10/10
  45. Jan 2, 2013
    It's 10/10

Strong and believable story, no useless augmentation, about 3 different types to play the game, incredible considered maps. It's a pure miracle that someone took the very old masterpiece and made ... another masterpiece with his own ideas, thoughts. Every single character in it has it's very own life story with his own problems and beliefs. Jensen is not the center of the
    universe and a lot of thongs going on around him without stopping and asking how Jensen want them to happen. The game without a single weak point except (maybe) bosses. And did you hear that music in the game? It's just amazingly cool! You do not want to miss it, believe me. Expand
  46. Oct 21, 2013
    Be warned. Not anywhere near the hype. very generic shooter with "rpg" elements such as the basic crappy skill tree, barely any decision making involved, some skills are handy while others are are just "cool" or extremely situation, no builds of any kind. not to mention the "quest" system, because my idea of a good time is running around for 10-15 minutes in between dumb monotonous side quests that seem like half the quest is just figuring out how the hell i get somewhere without running into a wall or fence. this all would be ok if the action portion of the game was actually good. but it's not, with bad ragdoll physics (bodies simply go limp when shot, extremely unsatisfying gun play, don't think there was blood decals on bodies from what I recall) lack of variety of weapons, unsatisfying boss fights, and honestly pretty lackluster story. Expand
  47. Feb 19, 2014
    The style and visuals of this game are absolutely amazing.
    But the multiple 'open' areas of the game fall short, since it's just corridors with some microscopical roads and cars with a skybox.

At the beginning, the stealth is really nice. Being able to take on situations differently. But there comes a moment where the amount of possible routes are over the top, and a lot of times, I
    ended up hacking a door which leads back to the street, or following a sewer that led me away from where I wanted to go.

In some parts of the game, they put you in a room with SOOO many guards, cameras and robots that it becomes funny. To the point where it's ironic if you were able to pass through it. In these moments you'll be forced a lot into combat. (unless you reload your save file 50 times over till you ace it) Where it's 1 vs 5-15 with a real limited amount of ammo.

>>>SPOILER AHEAD
  48. May 16, 2013
    One of the best RPG of all time, yeah it's mostly linear, but memorable characters and one of the best written plot in gaming history with unexpected twists presents to you by this remarkable franchise! This is must own
  49. Apr 26, 2013
    The most fun I have had in a game, absolutely unbelievable. Has amazing replay value because of the choices given in it of different ways to approach each mission. The Gold theme even though a bit strange works and looks rather nice.
  50. Aug 12, 2013
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a ton of potential, but ultimately falls flat in too many areas to warrant a recommendation. I've never played previous Deus Ex games, so I'm reacting to this one purely on its own merits. I did a full playthrough, completing the main story and most of the side quests in about 19 hours.

The qualities that kept me engaged for that much time were the
    impeccably designed world and the extremely engaging atmosphere. The Blade Runner-esque setting is appealing and visually striking. I was slightly put off by the extreme orangeness of everything, but eventually that just became part of the world and I stopped paying it much attention. It's a credit to the artists and the sound design team (and of course the composer) that Deus Ex provides such a compelling experience. In fact, it's solely because of their brilliant work that the game is worth playing. There are a lot of major flaws in other areas that almost, but not quite, ruin everything.

Foremost among these problems are the combat mechanics. Deus Ex is not a good first person shooter, even though the designers give you the freedom to run and gun to your heart's content. A couple of huge issues kept me frustrated throughout. First, many of the enemies you encounter are complete and utter bullet sponges. "Heavies" appear to be wearing nothing but a Kevlar vest and a helmet, yet they can absorb hundreds of point blank rounds from a Gatling gun. At the same time, they can take you down with about 2 seconds worth of gunfire. You, the augmented super soldier with an invisibility cloak and retractable forearm sword blades. It just doesn't make sense and it's not fun at all.

After repeated failed attempts at any given battle, I often resorted to hand to hand stealth-based combat. This tends to work quite well, but the very fact that it does ruins the combat experience even more. The heavy that gave me so many problems with my Gatling gun could be taken down with a single tap of the Q key, resulting in an arm lock and a punch to the jaw. What a joke.

You'll still run into constant frustration even if you adopt a 100% stealth-based strategy. One highly amusing encounter I had involved sneaking up to two Chinese gangsters. For some reason they didn't notice me crouching literally a foot away, so I triumphantly hit Q, expecting a satisfying double takedown. Instead, my battery meter beeped, indicating that I didn't have enough power to execute the move. This made me literally laugh out loud, imagining the absurdity of the scenario if it played out in real life.

Adam: "I have remained undetected! Wait for it. Wait for it. NOW!"
    *beeeeeeeeeeep*
    Gangsters: "What was that sound? Hey, who's that guy crouching over there?"

Thankfully, the game isn't real life, so I just chowed down an energy bar and successfully smashed the bad guys heads together a moment later. I don't know who on the design team decided that a genetically enhanced super soldier should run on a few AA batteries, but they should probably look for another line of work.

Moving on. The boss battles in Deus Ex have been much maligned, and I can mostly see why. They did provide a somewhat welcome injection of strategy into the combat system, but in the end all of them could be resolved with a few grenade launcher blasts. I found that trying a more finesse-based approach of dodging and shotgunning led to pretty much instant death, and I never had the patience to hone my skills when the brute force path provided such an immediate solution.

Second only to the combat mechanics in terms of immersion-breaking were the awful cutscenes. The character models are terribly low quality and the lip-syncing is very poor. I really felt like I was watching 2000-era technology at work here. Almost any recent game that I can think of provides a better experience in this department. That being said, the voice acting is generally excellent, although our main guy's prolonged "I'm Batman" impression occasionally became tiresome.

Last but not least, I found the city hubs to be fairly generic. There is very little difference in the game between Detroit, China and Montreal (although I did get a kick out of the "futurized" Montreal skyline). I would have liked to see different colors, more vegetation, different types of people, etc. Anything, really, to differentiate the various locales and make them seem more special and exotic.

To sum up: I had really mixed feelings about Deus Ex. The fictional world is so well realized that it makes it possible to overlook a lot of problems. But, there are a LOT of problems. In the end, I just didn't enjoy myself that much and I can't see myself ever going back to play again. There just isn't enough variety in the gameplay or plot to keep me interested. It's too bad, because I'd genuinely love to spend more time in the Deus Ex universe. Maybe the next game in the series will provide a more complete and satisfying experience
  51. Sep 26, 2013
    I like it, but it's got some REALLY annoying stuff in it. Like the fact that when an enemy spots you he immediately alerts everyone else annoying yes, but it is a brilliant game.
  52. Nov 20, 2013
    This game epitomises how marketing can fool people into thinking that a game worth nothing more than a zero is worth a 10.
    Obviously the people that gave this a 10 are either console players who have not played good games in their lives or just plain idiots, who got fooled by the marketing and pretty trailer.
    The graphics are terrible, the game play felt stiff, old and just annoying, the
    voice acting is terrible, the story is boring and everything about this game is terrible.
    Luckily I did not buy this game, otherwise I would have come here and gave it a 10 just to convince myself that I did not waste the money.
    After 1 hour of playing, I closed the game and un-installed it.
    Please do not buy this piece of shiit. If you feel like you have to buy it and play it, then download it from torrent websites, the installation process is very easy.
  53. Dec 22, 2011
    Love it. Love the game, love the music. I never played the two games before this, the first i knew was good, but it seemed a bit too old and the second one was rated bad. But this one, is just perfect
  54. Jul 8, 2012
    A ton of thought was put into the world of this game, and it shows. There's lots going on. Lots to do. All kinds of people to interact with. Interesting conversations. Lots of opportunity to be stealthy. A hacking minigame that's actually fun (at least once you get a couple of upgrades). Just great stuff all around. If you're a fan of sneaky shooters with serious RPG elements, this is a must buy.
  55. Dec 17, 2011
    If you are a true Deus Ex fan then this is a must, is you're not then this REALLY IS A MUST! A engrossing world with great atmosphere, excellent soundtrack, freedom of choice and strong replay value. The visuals are also outstanding in some areas however some facial animations are a bit stiff!
  56. gas
    Jul 6, 2012
    I bought this game recently at 7 euros, i waited to buy it cause i was curious but i was a bit scared it was just a cod generation moronic game, about that its a very streamlined version of deus ex, but its quite good luckily. The game is a stealth/action fps with rpg elements and a "blade runner" setting with a story that should be very interesting and full of twists(in some occasions the plot is not totally logic tbh), its quite different from the first deus ex tbh, it has a lot of potential but much is wasted by some elements not working perfectly, but overall its quite good, fun, and the gameplay is working if you like to play not too hardcore stealthy fps. I finished in less then 50 hours at normal level, never find a problem to go on. i tried to play mostly stealth, exploring all the zones and trying to find all side quests. I think i will replay it at max difficulty later on, but thr replay value is not high cause its full scripted and the story is always the same except some minor choices. I have to tell the game is very linear and the rpg elements are super basic, anyway the story is quite good, at least its better then most shi-fi movies out there. The side quests are a lot opinable, cause many of them are just things like "please my cat cant get down the tree, can you help it pls?", also its a bit sad that you cant change nothing of the story, except the different endings. Anyway i played and i enjoyed it but i think its not really a masterpiece, especially for the AI really lacking, and the fact its very very linear, also the inventory mechanic could have been a lot better. Actually is july 2012, 1 year after release, i didnt encounter a single bug or crash so i imagine many things were fixed in the past, also graphically, ive read many reviews complaining about that, to me seems quite fine honestly, maybe its not the best of the best, but its enough good imo. Music is good, even if a bit repetitive, translation and voice acting in my language is very good, even if the game lacks completey lip sync but nvm. At the end surely i think it was possible to have a far better game adding free roaming and bigger maps with more life in them, anyway i still think its a good one (considered i bought it at 7 euros, for a full price 50 euros i think i could give a 7 max). Expand
  57. Sep 6, 2011
    Doesn't get much better than this. Great game play, great music, cool style, and all with in an open world that really allows you to play how you want. For me this game falls into the category of the other greatest game titles, such as Zelda, and Halflife. The atmosphere of this game will stick with me for many years to come.
  58. Jan 9, 2012
    The game is quite good. On first impression it seems like a remake of the first Deus Ex with better graphics (which is good news, I guess), even the plot turns are similar. Morst importantly, the gameplay is definitely there - thouroughly enjoyable. Closer to the end, however, I felt somewhat disappointed. The story became a bit too contrived and unconvincing, and the ending seemed a bit stupid. With better story and another 8-10 hours of gameplay (it took me 35hr) it could be a perfect game, like its predecessor. Still, I think it's worth the money. Expand
  59. Aug 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. It's not even my kind of game, but the music, setting, and game play are great. I've given out too many 10's for them to be worth much anymore, and my gaming preferences have matured since my first review, but this game is indeed one of my favorites, despite being a type of game I've never played before. Excellent.
  60. Jul 13, 2013
    A fluid gameplay (which stumbles onto useless cinematic of "takedowns"), a rather linear scenario but broadened by possible personal choices. However, the general aesthetics is disturbing at first, dull in the end. On maximum difficulty, the game fails to provide real challenges. I am trying to avoid comparison to the initial sets but they had a real ambiance. By this one, paradoxically to the scenario and how the hero is involved in the story, I failed to attach to his fate.

The good:
    - The fluidity of the gameplay
    - The quality of the graphics
    - The work on the characters

The bad:
    - The general ambiance
    - The somewhat linearity of the scenario
    - The constant short cinematic for the take-downs
    - I miss a good DLC (I won't go into critics of the missing link)
    - The repeatability of the strategy, or the dullness of the AI
  61. Sep 12, 2011
    This is the best single player game I have ever played. I just finished with 30 hours of play time. I bought the game about a week ago. This is probably the first game I'll play through again just to get the couple side quests I missed. Really, I can't believe how good this game was.
  62. Oct 17, 2011
    Deus Ex: HR is truly worthy of the Deus Ex name and is a shining example of how to make video games. Regarding the graphics, it has immaculate attention to detail and a gorgeous artistic vision from start to finish. The 3D modeling is superb with even minor objects amazingly crafted. The gameplay is smooth and extremely well thought out. Each area, quest, and item serves a distinct purpose and it all fits together to allow you the freedom to play the game your way, yet still provide a consistently quality experience. Few developers have both the passion and the skills to forge a masterpiece like this, a game that you should thoroughly digest, playing through it at least three times. Moreover, like the original Deus Ex, itâ Expand
  63. Sep 9, 2011
    So I guess the bottom line question is "should I but this game"? I would say yes, and that it is also worth $49.99. Do I think this game is the best Deus Ex game out of the 3? Yes. Do I think this game stands on its own merits? Yes. Do I feel that the game is a true PC game and not a port? Yes, the game is spectacular for PC. Am I happy I bought the game? Yes, I would pay top-dollar again.

Having downloaded the game through Steam 12 hours ago (and playing it since), I can confirm that the game has a polished release. The PC version feels like a true PC game and not a port from a console.
    The game uses PC resources fairly well in fact; with practically no load times in open-world areas and brief loads times for others. Loading a game save is similarly brief while saving occurs almost instantly. Usually, in parts of the game where you are likely to die, the game will autosave for you in case you fail. A nice addition to the auto-save feature is that the game keeps the previous autosave just in case you want to re-do a game choice (which admit to using several times thus far since some choices did affect game story quite a bit). The visuals are appropriate for PC- with high definition graphics plus appropriate options depending on your PC build and monitor- even though the game will choose the best balance for your system by default. They even had the correct resolution for my 720p HD TV that I use as a PC monitor (1216x684), which is always a hit and miss thing for new games.

One thing that really stood out about this game was the voice acting and character models. NPC city dwellers all differ in appearance with even a majority of enemy NPC's having different hairstyles and facial details. I also like the voice acting overall- for a game that has so much voice acting in general you would expect as such. IMO, the voice acting is well above average and the cinematic sequences are extremely entertaining to watch and add to the story.

A fun gameplay element from the 1st Deus Ex makes a return in this game, which is the illicit snooping of emails and the hacking of computer consoles. Some computers are errantly unlocked, giving immediate access to emails, whereas others require passwords or hacking to glean gossip or useful intel. I found the amount of comms like this were on par with the 1st Deus Ex. A nice touch was the addition newspapers (which are electronic news clips of sorts) that reflect your in-game actions. These small touches add authenticity and help show that your actions have consequences. It also appears that if you kill somebody in game (and there are quite a few friendly and enemy NPC's in general) they absolutely will not come back to life just b/c you leave the area and come back later. In fact, you can kill the side-quest giving NPC's which is a drastic test of realism, but entirely possible if you play that way.

Story and plot-wise the game stands on it's own while still adhering to the timeline of the Deus Ex game since It is apparently a prequel to the Deus Ex series. Having played the first Deus Ex myself I couldn't find any inconsistencies in the game lore. In fact, I did recognize familiar names and even familiar voices from the first Deus Ex that are present in Human Revolution.
  64. Nov 10, 2011
    A game for the ages. Once again, single player is the main focus of this story driven game. And it's great. The story is interesting, kept me hooked most of the way. The people aren't quite as interesting, but the sidequests are still fun. The gameplay is was amazing. It reminds me of Crysis in that you get to chose how you approach a problem, which is great. No character is the same through the use of augmentations, and replayablity is possible. A very worthy successor to the original, no doubt about it. Expand
  65. Sep 2, 2012
    more of an 8.5, but for the sheer amazing story, design, soundtrack and pretty much everything i have decided to round up the score.
    the boss fights. a hot topic. if you are smart enough to make sure you always have an assault rifle with you and a stack of 200 ammo, you should be fine. they were hard, very hard. even on easiest setting.

but as for the good stuff, well i decided to just
    say the bad stuff, as there is so much good stuff you just cant say.

if you love a rich, in depth world, a great story, or just stealthy gameplay and a big challenge, then this game is for you. it is amazing.. not that i should need to reccommend it as you should have already played it
  66. Jan 10, 2014
    Very close to perfection. This is, quite possibly, the best stealth action game, I have EVER PLAYED!!! It was worth sixty dollars. The game rewards you for doing things stealthily, all though it is not required. Several ways to play, multiple weapons, to choose from. Upgrading weapons and your character are good features. Combines rpg elements with shooter and stealth elements, flawlessly. The only reason it is not perfect is that the game worlds are a bit small and I feel the game could have been a lot longer with more side quests. Great game Expand
  67. Oct 2, 2011
    The story telling is really superb as well is the dialogue scenes, you choices are more life like, if you do not choose an answer soon for all characters you will suffer consequences. I love how your pressured into completing missions. If you take to long, such as strolling around minding your own business ignoring the task at hand people can die. The game play is much more fluent then I expected it to be. The options to approach each mission are very smart in choice for the player, had fun playing it. Expand
  68. Sep 5, 2011
    Deus EX human Revolution... What a game. everything is perfect, except one thing. It stutters on Dual Core processors because it's not using all the cpu memory but i found out, setting the game priority to High fixed 90% of the stutter.
    I can enjoy every single mission on it, i love the music background, voiceacting is superb. Graphically the game isn't bad at all, for an old engine they
    did the textures and image quality quite beautifully.
    What i love the most on this game is it's atmosphere. The enhancements are awesome, the producers thought about everything and the game is worth every penny of the 60euros spend..
    I highly recommend buying that game, it's one of the best. Excellent work Eidos Montreal, i'm proud of you guys
  69. Zri
    Dec 30, 2011
    Although the story progression bears some significant similarity to the original, Human Revolution is pretty awesome. The environment is superb, especially considering the limiting size brought on by console versions of games in recent times, the voice acting and models were by and large excellent, and the length of the game was very satisfying. More importantly, this *felt* like a Deus Ex game.

Where Human Revolution really shines however is the flavour items. The little bits of peoples' lives you get through reading their email, overhearing their conversations, and reading ebooks and news items scattered around the place. While many other games have these elements in them, they have often either go over the top in terms of length and typically suffer from poor writing and formatting, making them a chore to read. Human Revolution's tend to be short, to the point, and entertaining. They make it worth breaking into someone's apartment to read their email, and thus exploring is fun, and not just a way to get more gear or experience (although you will gain both).

It's rare to find a game that strikes a good balance between sneaking and combat, but HR does a very good job of both (although the alarm system is a bit unrealistic in how quickly things get back to normal after you disappear, but that's a sacrifice on the altar of fun). Taking a leaf from Splinter Cell and requiring you to hide bodies if you want to stay stealthy is a lot of fun, even if the dragging animation isn't as good as Sam's fireman's lift; being able to stash bodies in ventilation ducts makes up for it.

Overall:
    Graphics: Excellent
    Voice/Music/Sounds: Excellent
    Immersiveness: Fantastic
    Buy it.
  70. Jan 7, 2013
    Well, I played it on its first release and this game failed to attract me at my first half walk through. But ultimately I admitted that it stood on a higher attitude than mine and I need time to think about it.
  71. Oct 31, 2011
    Top 5 games. I just love this game, thou stealth is not normally my favorite option. You can do only stealth, try to talk your way of off it or combat. Also cool side quest, a movie like plot/story which is amazing. The aug system is awesome, and you can really build your character. I would like to compare it with bioshock, which is truly amazing too. The graphics are also cool. If you like singlerplayer games its a mjst buy. The game is modarete long, took me 10 hours, without sidequest. The game is not perfect put very close. I would give it 9.7 with bioshock on 9.8 half-life 9.89. Expand
  72. Nov 4, 2011
    Great game, it is a HUGE game to complete (Must have put in well over 25 hours and still haven't finished it yet as I'm doing all sidequests) , Sexy graphics , smooth controls and a deep, engaging plot with twists and turns.

Another example of a great 2011 game. Eidos Interactive deserve a pat on the back for this.
  73. Mar 28, 2013
    I really like this game, I just cant enjoy it because the developer will not fix the poor mouse support. The mouse aiming seems to not want to respond immediately. It takes about 8 seconds for it to respond when using a controller mouse. That's bad.
  74. Oct 14, 2011
    Pretty much a revamp of the original deus ex. Same atmosphere, stooopid AI, flat bland textures, air ducts, hacking... But all said, it's mildly enjoyable. Surprising the lousy framerate I get with such blah textures. Other games do much better..
  75. Sep 18, 2011
    I am a huge fan of the original so Deus Ex Human Revolution had to meet some pretty high expectations to get a good review from me. Deus Ex HR does remain true to the Deus Ex formula and is not another Invisible War farce. The kind of game play here has been seen more recently in the Mass Effect games ironicaly borrowed heavily from the original Deus Ex 1. So we have 2 series of games driving each other forward it seems. Deus Ex 1 introduced us to missions that could be completed more than one way and upgrades that decided which way we did them. Unfortunately the original Deus Ex 1 got a little lost half way through the game and stopped supporting that, becoming a plain old shooter in the end with half hearted steps and the multi choice mission design. Which made the early game the favourite part of the original for most hard core fans. Deus Ex HR does not make that mistake, you have choices all the way through the game and best of all Deus Ex HR does a far better job of it than the original Deus Ex 1 did. So the gameplay is best described as Deus Ex 1 Statue of Liberty level on some very strong drugs. Every single level jn HR blows that original Deus Ex level away on game play terms and in terms of choices.

The tools used to active this are simple, multiple paths to every destination exist, passwords can often be found on computers for security systems. So all you really need to do is decide if you want to be stealthy or gun ho and configure your character accordingly.

Believe me you can take good 70% of the upgrades by the end of the game, so there is lots of room for experimentation here. Perhaps a little too much room actually. The difficulty levels are easy normal and hard though they use different words to describe them. I found Normal gets you killed just enough to make you think about each level. Thus turning HR in to an RPG rather than a shooter. If you play on easy, you find it becomes more of a shooter than an Deus Ex game and if you play on hard, which is called "Give me Deus Ex" difficulty, I fully expect you to be completely reliant on your upgrades to succeed. So the balance is great, though the bosses are more annoying cop outs than a real end of level story update that should have taken place. A sign of a problem that this game has actually. Unfortunately HR lacks a strong story line and its characters are too shallow to care about. You will not care about saving the main quest character the game is about. You will not care which NPCs around you die. This game is more action that story and you jump around from one place to the next so fast that the little details that made the first game special and where important to game in some ways are lost in translation in HR.

HR is a far shallower game than the original Deus Ex as a result. And at about 25 hours long for the main story and side quests on the first play through, it is a short game than Deus Ex 1 too. Going by my £1 per hour rule to gage value for money, if you only play this game once, you will be ripped off by £5 if you buy it at full price. If you can make it to 30 hours it will be good value for money but given all those details I spoke about are missing, I am having a hard time working out where those extra 5 hours will come from. Still if do not care about such things than fine but you should because without a firm expected guide to game length you end up paying £30 for games that struggle to make the 10 hour make like Batman and Bioshock 1.

So HR gets the game play right but fails on the story line and characters, basically it is swings and around about is. It is a good Deus Ex game, it delivers the gameplay we expect in spades and even sets new standards for future Deus Ex games. So it beats the original in some very important areas and falls short in other important areas. Which means its a great sequel because there are clearly ways this game can be improved in the net one and its not going to be hard to achieve next time now the formula is right for the game play again.

PS avoid Deus Ex the invisible war, it is a farce from the start and has little or no relation to any other Deus Ex game.

If you like Mass Effect, Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines, knights of the old republic or Deus Ex 1, then you will like Deus Ex HR too. This is a genre has a lot of fans when the formula is right and it is almost right here.
  76. Oct 3, 2012
    Extremely fun game to play and I love the choices at the end and videos and commentary that followed under each option. Well done game. I hope they develop a sequel that is just as fun as this was. I played it constantly from start to finish, something I rarely do.
  77. Jul 1, 2013
    This is what I call a great game! Very good history, good gameplay and graphics. I really apreciate this game and recommend it to everyone that likes a good RPG.
  78. Oct 17, 2011
    Short review:
    Pros:
    - The player's choices affect the how the story line is approached. Sure, the "main" storyline's not changed by your choices, but how you persuade people and make them do what you want gives you the ability to experience many things in a different way. For example, for the last boss battle, you need to persuade someone to make the boss battle easier. The more time you
    spend exploring the little vents and secret places, the more you will experience from the story and perhaps it will help you.
    - Your augmentations or "skill tree" helps your style of playing in many ways. There are times when you regret for not picking a certain augmentation and there are times when you go "damn good thing I picked up that augmentation", because not all of the augmentations get unlocked at the end of the game.
    - The usefulness of everything, from minor to major stuffs. From picking up a "note" and getting a password, to upgrading your hacking skills, nothing gets left behind at the trash can. Truly marvelous.
    - The combat system for certain battles. Yes, most of them are just cover and shoot, but this can be accomplished in many ways, either by buying upgrades and augmentations or by hacking things to reverse-engineer robots. Really damn fun and exhilarating
    - Minigames. They are lovely. Never repetitive enough to bore me.
    - The story. Oh my God, the story's really damn amazing. It is like the most dramatic storyline I've ever seen in an FPS.
    - Persuasion system. The persuasion system is the best thing about the game. Analyzing the situation you're dealing with and persuading someone to help you, best stuff ever. Various stuffs you must understand and keep a lookout for to make sure you win the persuasion.
    - Sounds are awesome, enough said.
    - The HUDs, well, they're damn WELL-DESIGNED, on par with Crysis's

Cons:
    - As many have said before, the characters' facial expressions are too "stiff" and repetitive, like a robot. Nevertheless, their body gestures are variable and observing them helps us a lot. - The graphics by most are "above average" and gets a raw metascore of 7. If you're looking for the "best" graphics, then you're better off buying another game. However, due to the "polished" nature of the game, the supposed above-average graphics turn into a really good graphic experience. You know who to shoot and who's a civilian.
    - No open roaming of the game when it's all over. Doesn't really bother me, but I think it's disappointing to know that there's no free-roaming when it's all over.
  79. Jun 25, 2012
    This is MOSTLY a good game. Fine graphcs, passable story, very good gameplay and a very good setting. For the first time in my life, the hacking minigame does not suck either, and the soudtrack is good too. The real problem with this game are the boss fights. Most of the game is a pretty realistic experience: a few bullets are enough to kill you, and the same is true for your enemy. Some may wear hevier armor (as you can buy better implants), but the idea is the same, and often the best way to deal with a group of enemies is to strike from the shadows or just avoid them altogether, maybe finding an alternative route. You are also free to either kill or stun your enemies, with an arsenal of non-lethal weapons. As soon as a boss appears, forget all of this: you can shoot whole magazines right in their heads. You can stun them, but should you try to finish them off with the blades conveniently attached to your cyber arms they will be ready to fight back. This game has a strangely arcade approach to boss fights. One moment you're a cyberninja, the other you're jumping over the head of a boss blindly charging forward. And there is no choice between letal, nonletal and alogether non violent approach. I guess the japanese publisher takes the blame, but this quite conflicts with the spirit of the game. Too bad, this coul have been a real 10/10. Expand
  80. Sep 25, 2011
    This is the single best game I've ever played and definitely GotY 2011. I only wish it was a bit longer, about 20 hours from start to the end, however this is the kind of game that can be played multiple times using different approaches. Obviously graphics are not even close to The Wither 2 level but frankly - I didn't mind. The cutscenes were excellent and so were the multiple endings. The variety of guns is huge - starting from simple pistols and smgs to mini-guns, lazers, plasma guns and rocket launchers. The enemies are smarter than in most games these days and the simplest "guns blazing" approach does not work very well on higher difficulty settings. The only one part I could actually complain about are the boss fights, seemingly too difficult and having no silent/stealth alternative. Expand
  81. Nov 8, 2011
    "Human Revolution" is a rare gem among today's watered down "AAA" blockbusters. There's so much here that is all-to-rare in modern games. A thoughtful story. Realistic characters. Attention to detail. And above all: Respect for the players intelligence and choices. While the game is multiplatform, the PC port is done with care and attention. I thoroughly recommend this outstanding game.

I can't wait to see what this talented team comes up with next.
  82. Jun 15, 2013
    I don't understand how this is so highly reviewed. It has little to no replay value and is boring to play. The only positive i can think of is cutscenes and its like SWTOR cutscenes but less impactive. I tried original on normal and had horrible time with the first boss and after that all the other bosses were easy as Predictable story and even the ending was predictable but maybe thats what they were going for. The thing i hate most of this game is the slow pace making it feel like a MMO. The skill system lacks any real fun skill to mess around with. The funnest skill by hacking and not for actually hacking the minigame for hacking is complete Its purely luck based hacking and is not challenging at all. The most challenges you will have is lvl 1-2 after that the challenges are simple as You can die from the slightest falls and unless you have the skill to make all falls do no damage but even after that your forced to watch a cutscene every single time you fall... So if your being attacked you watch yourself being shot while standing waiting for the cutscene to stop. The AI is terrible they will walk through walls and doors but not smart enough to look in vents and wth is with vents they are perfect size for you and only lead you where you need to go...? Every single boss is shoot and kill and only in the final boss do they change things up like press button then shoot and kill. The final cutscenes are just video taken from other videos mashed in together... Oh thats great you can't toss in maybe a ending where he atleast walks out of the place or what happened to the people which you just saved. Just unsatisfied completly.. Poor voice acting you always get pulled out of the enviroment or situation laughing at it. The map designs are terriiibbblle Cluttered and one direct. Side quests are pointless and don't change much. The iron sign aim is useless and off aim for most guns that use them. Why has this been reviewed so high? Has these people even played this? Oh and if you do play what way should you go? Hacking because it is the fastest for shortcuts and sneaking is slow as and usually detours you around the whole map oh and going in guns blazing can work until you run out of ammo which will happen trust me. When enemies can waste infinite amount of clips and then be killed and drop usually a single bullet or nothing at all. You must spend your time hacking to get ammunition and taking detours to stockup on ammo. Also something thats annoying its the future it sure doesn't feel like it doors don't even open automatically. Also the running is tapping it every 3 seconds so have fun with that. The funnest part i had in this game was picking up a hacked turret and using it to beat every single boss after playing it by far the easiest way to kill them. I had a pet turret sure made me slow but costs me no ammo and is faster than sneaking and shields you. Expand
  83. Jul 27, 2012
    So, did you play the first Deus Ex? If so you'll probably enjoy this one. It takes many of the original elements of the first, and applies them successfully to the second game. We'll pretend that DX:IW never happened. If you're looking for straight out gun battles, this game probably isn't for you, if you like games where you need to think your way through some parts it will be. There are some rough spots, there are some problems even nearly a year later. But overall the 5th play through that I've done, it's a solid game worthy of being in the Deus Ex namesake. Expand
  84. Oct 23, 2011
    What a fantastic game. The story was awesome, the gameplay never got old, and the characters were actually relate able. One of the best games of all time.
  85. Jan 9, 2012
    Flawed but entertaining. Cities like Detroit and Shanghai are well realised although this means that small, more limited areas in the game feel very bland by comparison. The world of HR is intriguing, unfortunately the plot and characters are not. The story is passable but none of Adam Jensen's friends, enemies or acquaintances made the kind of impression that one might see from characters in the Mass Effect games. Adam himself is unremarkable. The graphics are excellent even if facial animations can seem a bit off. The different ways to play (combat, stealth, hacking) are all fleshed out and gel together nicely. The latter point makes me wonder all the more why the game would limit players to only using combat in boss fights. This puts those who played the game focusing on stealth/hacking to be at a disadvantage. I enjoyed the conversation system in this game especially in the instances when a character had to be persuaded into being of assistance. HR is an enjoyable game that shows a lot of potential. If the flaws are ironed out, a sequel could be a classic. Expand
  86. Jan 8, 2013
    I'm going to start off saying that this game is for mature players. Not in the fact that there is blood and gore, but the fact that this game explores human morality; something few games like to touch on.

I'll start off with the bad first. The game demands A LOT from your computer, performance wise, only to give you mediocre graphics. The controls for the game were not very well
    mapped and there were also some redundant features. That being said, the reason why I gave such a high rating was due to how well the story and side stories were told. Deus Ex offers so much in depth content about the people, the environment and the technology. I also have to say that the story was very well paced and it didn't really have many dry spots. The open endedness of the game gives the player much more freedom (ie. there are multiple ways to complete parts of the story).

So, if you are still debating on buying the game, especially two years after its release, get it. It only costs $20.00 on steam.
  87. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is amazing, finally deus ex has returned. Conspiracy stories, great voice acting, cool gadgets and skill/dialogue trees, the perfect blend of action in RPG. The biggest highlight of the game is the take on the situation your own way, there are multiple ways to complete an objective, many times have I replayed and discovered other minor secrets in the environment or winning social battles with character or hacking something that would allow me to be able to complete objectives differently. The only downside is they do tend to offer more xp for stealth methods implying stealth is the way the game was meant to be played, but still you can be powerful/tactful enough to go all guns a blazing as well. Also since you can kill almost anyone (except certain key story characters) it's fun to load up and go bannas on people, hide them in rooms and doors, killsprees and reload. With that deus definitely does feel more consolfied, the facial animations are kinda spotty for npc the background sometime low quality. Yeah I wish it was more PC optimized and maybe bigger areas to explore, but still the game is big enough for the story and side mission and variety in options to tackle missions, that what it does have it does it right. Another great thing is the cover system how it switches to 3rd person is done really well. Job well done eidos montreal, I hope with this game it's the start of more good deus ex/sci fi games in the future. Beside this mass effect and borderland there isn't too much scifi wrpgs out there, I'm tired of high fantasy. Speaking of fantasy this game has tons of easter eggs a la metal gear solid style and one of my favs is there is a poster for Final Fantasy XXVII(27). lol. So keep an eye out. Expand
  88. Sep 6, 2011
    I never thought I'd play a game this good again. It's the perfect blend of freedom, exploration and tight storytelling. You have to play this game.
  89. Nov 16, 2011
    While the game does suffer from consolitis, I think it's still worth checking out on a PC. It feels very polished and once you take care of the sensitivity and the FOV, it is very enjoyable with one of the best told stories in recent gaming history. Customization is great and different gameplay styles add for some replay value. I like FPS so I went shooting through all the way and liked it... if you prefer stealth, prepare to spend twice as much time on completing it. Expand
  90. Sep 9, 2011
    Pros: The excellent story and paranoid atmosphere of the original is replicated here, with the benefit of a much improved "metal gear style" combat system. XP rewards for the harder stealth and non-lethal approaches. Cons: Good but not great soundtrack compared to the first. Ending is not as climatic. Unlike the rest of the game, boss fights force stealth or social players into straight combat. The hacking minigame, while originally interesting, becomes repetitive. Expand
  91. Dec 2, 2012
    Before playing this game I went down playing the first game, which is known for it's (supposedly) great balance between rpg mechanics and fps, and of course its (engaging) story. After a second game that didn't get good votes (haven't played that much, can't really compare it) I eventually bought the third, after a big discount (mainly because the first kinda disappointed me in some parts). For some people, this is the best sequel (although it's a prequel of the first game), for some it's as bad as the second game. To me, simply put, this is what the first game should have been, all along. Let me explain: the game takes the mechanic of giving you various way to complete the game, either by sneaking or using the weapons fully...of course since we don't need another fps, sneaking my way out is the most used way. However, Even then, it shows one big flaw that the first game did right: there is barely any exploration. The zones are linear and even though the game rewards you to explore the areas, I always felt I was going down a corridor, without many detours or places to go... I mean, you can't even swim in this game, while the first game had massive areas and a true sense of exploration. Another thing that this game does right (whereas the first kinda failed by me) is the rpg element: each time you level up (by exploring, killing, knocking out enemies, etc) you get a "point" that you need to use it on one of many skills that you can unlock, depending on your necessities...however there's one problem with this system, and that is you'll never know which upgrades to take until you know it. Infact, a lot of times I didn't manage to go somewhere particular because the augmentation I needed wasn't activated, no wonder, but I had no idea I needed that one particular augementation until I physically saw it in front of me. Not a HUGE flaw, but unless you know where to go, you might lose some places to explore, so you lose experience for more upgrades. And for last, one big flaw to me, but this is very personal: the bosses. Ok, also in the first game there were bosses you could fight...but you could also flee from them, the choice was yours. In here, you can't: it takes the formula of the bosses in fps and you're FORCED to kill them, and that's a huge issue if you play the stealth way, because you'll NEVER use any firearm except the stungun or the tranquilizer sniper rifle, especially because your inventory is gonna be extremely limited at the start (can be upgraded, but the weapons take a lot of space and, strangely, even ammunitation take space in the inventory, whereas the first game didn't). Luckily there will be weapons in the room where the boss is, but I wish we could have the choice to skip them. In any case, it's a very good game all in all, with a good story, a good length (20+ hours in, haven't finished yet) and definitely fixes what the original game didn't have (like, stealth kill animations...). Sorry for the tons of comparisons, but since a lot of people can't talk about this game without mentioning the first game, I think some details were needed. Definitely a solid game, and definitely deserves a look, especially for the fans. Expand
  92. Oct 25, 2011
    If you liked previous Deus Ex games, you will love this one as well. There is very little difference in terms of gameplay and game mechanics. I will say right now, this is NOT a perfect game, however it deserves better than a 9/10 and so I rounded up. The story is incredible, they pull you in so deep it's amazing. The graphics are great (DX11). I highly recommend it and this is now one of my favorite games. It is easily the most epic first person shooter I have played. The music is amazing, and every situation has many ways around it, so you aren't confined to only getting a certain few augments, there is a way to do everything with what ever augments you pick. The only bad thing I would say about this game is that the energy system for using augmentations was poor, why waste money to fill up energy cells when you can just stay at 1 and let it recharge for free? But that's not a huge deal at all. Regardless, if you're a true gamer you will very much enjoy this game. The PC version is spotless, and the player can tell it was made to be played on a PC. Its a great game, get it today. Expand
  93. Sep 9, 2011
    Let us get the obvious out of the way: This is a fabulous game. But it has it's flaws. This game could use some better tutorials... It can be amazingly beautiful and stylized at most of the time... but then there are those strange moments were it suddenly becomes very ugly. Character animations are great, while facial animations are not. But this is all just unimportant because the atmosphere in this game is so dense, so immersive that you fall in love... not on first sight, but after 4 to 8 hour you WILL love it. The augmentations are great, the stealth is better than in any recent stealth game... the rpg elements are richer than in Mass Effect 2 but slightly poorer than in The Witcher 2 for example. If you hope for this to be a trulty RPG, do not get your hopes up... there are 2 major city-hubs you can explore... but more than half of the game you will spent on missions.
    There are side-quests... BUT they are mostly so connected to the main-story that I would not even call them side missions...
    In the end it is NOT a perfect game... it is a fabulous stealth-action game with great rpg elements, a top-notch story, mostly beautiful visuals and sound. I urge everyone to play this game. It is not GOTY in my opinion, but it is a ride worth taken.
  94. Oct 13, 2011
    In the age of EA games, rushed sequels are commonplace. These games invariably end up being absolutely terrible - Dragon Age II anyone?
    This is not one of those games.
    This game is simply stunning from start to finish. The opening sequences are extremely exciting, and that excitement stays at fever-pitch throughout the game.
    This is a true sequel to the greatness that was the original
    Deus Ex - even though it seems to not follow the original plot-line whatsoever.
    Buy this game, buy it now. And don't buy EA produced games - please.
  95. Feb 12, 2013
    Out-F'ing-standing!! This game exceeded all of my expectations. Storyline 10, tech 10, graphics 10, fun 10, action 10, difficulty 10, immersion 100. If there were more games like this, I would never sleep! I hope that Deus Ex: Human Revolution inspires other developers to put forth the same level of love and attention to detail!! Outstanding! (oh.. nanotech 10, and moral/scientific reflection 10!!) Expand
  96. Nov 15, 2011
    While the game is not perfect, it is definitely good and is worth your time.
    The atmosphere is great. The story is good. RPG system is well designed and well integrated into the missions. There very different ways for beating the same mission depending on your character build. You can even beat the game almost without killing anyone. There is a healthy number of optional site-quests.

All
    in all it was time well spent.

I gave the game 8/10 because graphics look a bit dated for 2011. So are character animations and movements of your character.
  97. Sep 6, 2011
    This game should not get a perfect score because of the cumbersome boss battles and flaky AI yet I think it deserves a 10 out of 10 for the fact that Deus Ex: Human Revolution excels at everything else it does. Long ago I played Deus Ex and was overwhelmed by the options and possibilities in the sci-fi rpg so rest assured I was happily back at home with DE:HR. Gameplay is king here. You know the gameplay is solid when you are evolving your play style as you go and the game encourages you along the way. Being stealthy in this game takes some getting used to (third person camera is weird at first) but you are never penalized for going on a killing spree. As the game progressed I stopped being a one man army and started learning how to move through the world without being noticed. I was rewarded for this with bonus experience points while the levels themselves were getting more challenging. What really sells this game is the rich story and characters that had obviously been well thought-out and combed over many times because simply, it is memorable and works. The main badass, Mr. Adam Jensen, is interesting enough and with his grizzly voice tumbles his way through the narrative but his boss David Sarif tends to surprise me a lot more with his own lines of dialogue and story-arc. I really love this game, and to attest to how captivated I was, I dropped playing halfway through Mass Effect 2 to finish this game. Expand
  98. Sep 11, 2011
    Lots of LOVE put into this game........just....cant......stop...playing!!! Same feel as the original. You can see by the credits that Eidos have assembled a substantial team to bring us a MASTERPIECE!
  99. Sep 5, 2011
    Deus Ex Human Revolution is one the Role-playing game in this year. It's a worthy continuator of original game. Interesting story, varied game-play, nice game design. Everything about Deus Ex.
  100. Oct 25, 2011
    A great game but not all is as good as one might have hoped for.

First off the story is great, it's fun and engaging. But after a while you might get a feel that it is trying a bit to much. In the beginning it feels like the game wants you to think what other people's objectives are and try to understand them but after a while the game leaves this formula and tries to rush trough til the
    ending a bit to fast. It feels like they try to wrap the story to fast. So I feel like this a game that I will remember as great but I am not sure I will remember to much of the story a year from now.

The voice acting can at times be average at best. At times it feels like the voice actors are just reading straight from the script without any emotions involved. Some of the characters have very little variation in there tone when talking to you it don't matter if you saved the person or killed their best friend the tone in their voice is very similar. It feels a bit like some of the voice actors just wanted to get paid and go home.

Overall great game, I gave it a 9 witch is a bit higher that I would like to give but 8 is to low. Personally I would give it 8.7 Great game with room for improvements.
  101. Nov 9, 2012
    Brilliant. Just freaking brilliant. This is not only a game; it's a deep, meaningful experience, a social alegory that is sure to move you and bring your morality to the table. An amazing, gripping story from start to finish, complex characters, addicting gameplay and incredible atmosphere, all accompanied by a masterful soundtrack. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of the best games I've had the pleasure to play... an unforgettable experience that every person should go through, gamer or not. Collapse

There are only a few games this year we suggest to 16-yrs old gamers and their fathers together. Human Revolution for sure is a Game of the Year nominee. [Oct 2011]
    So despite the odds being stacked against it, Eidos Montreal accomplished the impossible and brought us a Deus Ex in the true sense of the word, probably the best one that we could have hoped for considering the current "requirements" for being commercially successful nowadays.
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    A worthy successor to one of the greatest games ever. It offers a lot of choice on many levels and feels like an RPG from years past - in a very good way. One of the best, if not the best game of 2011. [Oct 2011]