8.4

1. Sep 1, 2011
    Big fan of the original. This is great, immersive, every aspect is top notch, including the dialogue, combat, cover system, stary etc etc. There are weaknesses in any game, just depends on whether they detract from the overall experience. They certainly don't here
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    An enjoyable game, but too derivative with little or none of the innovation we expect from RPG shooters. It's interesting that a lot of the criticism levelled at the first Deus Ex sequel could easily be applied to HR, but wasn't. Like Invisible War, HR is essentially a console version of the first game, much bigger and shinier granted, but with most of the original's RPG elements simplyAn enjoyable game, but too derivative with little or none of the innovation we expect from RPG shooters. It's interesting that a lot of the criticism levelled at the first Deus Ex sequel could easily be applied to HR, but wasn't. Like Invisible War, HR is essentially a console version of the first game, much bigger and shinier granted, but with most of the original's RPG elements simply reduced rather than improved or streamlined.
    The inclusion of end of level bosses did feel out of sync with the rest of the game, but they weren't a huge departure the original. Also, it amazes me that although hours and hours of dialogue must have been recorded for the NPCs, they could only come up with two or three basic animations whilst they delivered their lines! I'd rather have more convincing animation from the characters I encounter in an RPG, that actually matches the speech, rather than hundreds of pointless side-quests that only 10% of people will actually bother attempting.
  3. Nov 20, 2011
    Deus Ex suffers from its own brilliance, unfortunately. From the moment i started playing I loved the sense of freedom, playing a Jensen who did not kill if possible, and moved silently through the shadows under his enemies noses had an unexpected thrill, and the world of Deus Ex is brilliantly deep, presenting many interesting questions to the player. However, several relatively pettyDeus Ex suffers from its own brilliance, unfortunately. From the moment i started playing I loved the sense of freedom, playing a Jensen who did not kill if possible, and moved silently through the shadows under his enemies noses had an unexpected thrill, and the world of Deus Ex is brilliantly deep, presenting many interesting questions to the player. However, several relatively petty flaws made this game a bit of a chore to play.
    Human Revolution presents the player with a beautifully realised world at the start of humanity's move towards body and mind enhancement with technology. The cities players travel through are fascinating, with an abundance of hidden areas, side quests and a wide variety of routes into any situation. I never played the original Deus Ex games, but i instantly grasped the world of Human Revolution. The enhancements that humans, including the player character, Adam Jensen, have turned to are not the slick, barely visible improvements of other sci-fi series', they are crudely bolted on as replacements to whole limbs or eyes, or implanted into the brains of users. Despite this lack of subtlety, the enhancements are beautifully and lovingly modeled in game, providing some of the best graphics in the game. Unfortunately, graphics is one of the main weaknesses of this game. The biggest flaw of the game in this department is how demanding it is on your system. Playing on a pc that can flawlessly run both Mass Effect games at max settings and all the Assassins Creed games at fairly high settings without issue, i experienced game breakingly bad performance in Human Revolution until the graphics were set to minimum... therefore any graphical beauty of this game was lost on my PC. The graphical style of the game is undeniably well thought out and beautiful, but it could definitely use some love with smoother, more up to date graphics and an engine that does not eat system resources so badly. The gameplay of this game is a mixed bunch. The RPG elements are very impressive, with every upgrade to Jensen's enhancements having a noticeable effect on gameplay. The inventory is cleverly managed in a system new to me. Having such a limit on inventory space led to a lot of planning how to fit things in, and demanded that i chose my style of play, as i could not carry more than a handful of weapons, and had to leave space for health items and stims if i wanted to survive. This is a huge improvement over the typical unlimited inventories of many great RPGs such as MassEffect1 and KotOR. The stealth aspects of this game are equally well designed, with a wide network of ventilation shafts and secret entrances throughout the game. Moving past patrolling enemies gave a particular thrill, as did stealth kills or knockouts. Unfortunately, i could never really forget that all "secret" paths and entrances are not only in plain sight, they were all designed for that exact reason by the developers. The buildings of Deus Ex do not require the players ingenuity to find the safest route from A to B, the developers designed the building from the start to have a safe route. This is an unavoidable flaw of stealth games. The shooting felt fairly slow and unresponsive, it has not moved on in the era of Call of Duty and other modern fps games. While fans of older shooters may enjoy this, the shooting feels noticeably flawed in the eyes of the modern generation of gamers. By far the biggest weakness of the game is the Boss fights, which are exactly that. There is no way to escape, attack them stealthily etc... they must be confronted in an open fight, leaving stealth players unprepared and horribly outgunned.
    The storyline is well realised, although i got a bit confused at one point in the early game. Most of the characters are deep and well scripted, and the story compliments the setting very well. All in all, this is a worthwhile game for any fan of RPG games and older shooters, but fans of linear modern shooters may feel frustrated by the lack of guidance and strong RPG elements, as well as the weak shooting system. This could definately open the doors for more Deus Ex games, although a graphical overhaul may be required.
  4. Feb 7, 2012
    This is a fun and challenging game, I will agree that PC gaming has been held back by the weaker console ports. The game has A LOT of style, but the animations, graphics, lighting, and more is weak. I used a graphics mod to fix this. I liked this game but I never played the first. I found the stealth fun and my favorite over the shooting. This is a fun game but has its flaws.
  5. Mar 3, 2012
    I purchased this game when released, and overall, my experience with the game has been by and large, a positive experience. The graphics are impressive, and I did not experience any significant bugs. The action is for the most part flows at a fairly quick clip, but the "hacking" of terminals becomes a rather mundane task. The story lines are not bad, but are predictable and somewhatI purchased this game when released, and overall, my experience with the game has been by and large, a positive experience. The graphics are impressive, and I did not experience any significant bugs. The action is for the most part flows at a fairly quick clip, but the "hacking" of terminals becomes a rather mundane task. The story lines are not bad, but are predictable and somewhat humorous at times. One of the very first things I did notice when firing up the game for the first time was the lifelessness. Cars do not move, and has the traffic flow of North Korea - none at all. People aimlessly walk around, and the whole vibe of the cities seem, well, lifeless. Enemies are similar throughout, and while challenging at times, the mechanics are the same. Hide behind this, shoot that. Not that is a negative, but adding that to the lifelessness makes the experience, well, weird. Still, I would recommend this game, but not at the price I purchased it for. Expand
  6. Jun 17, 2012
    I give 8 because it has an amazing story. The ending makes player to think what is going on. Very interesting way to think about human gene modification. For a first person shooting game, I can't say they did a good job on shooting. But I like it has many interesting weapons, and hacking into enemies' computers are quite fun.
  7. Oct 21, 2013
    Be warned. Not anywhere near the hype. very generic shooter with "rpg" elements such as the basic crappy skill tree, barely any decision making involved, some skills are handy while others are are just "cool" or extremely situation, no builds of any kind. not to mention the "quest" system, because my idea of a good time is running around for 10-15 minutes in between dumb monotonous sideBe warned. Not anywhere near the hype. very generic shooter with "rpg" elements such as the basic crappy skill tree, barely any decision making involved, some skills are handy while others are are just "cool" or extremely situation, no builds of any kind. not to mention the "quest" system, because my idea of a good time is running around for 10-15 minutes in between dumb monotonous side quests that seem like half the quest is just figuring out how the hell i get somewhere without running into a wall or fence. this all would be ok if the action portion of the game was actually good. but it's not, with bad ragdoll physics (bodies simply go limp when shot, extremely unsatisfying gun play, don't think there was blood decals on bodies from what I recall) lack of variety of weapons, unsatisfying boss fights, and honestly pretty lackluster story. Expand
  8. Aug 27, 2011
    The only thing I have to complain about is the Boss Fights which are not hard but complicated in how boss fights are usually rendered with the boss fighting with a pattern of attack or something. other than that the game rocks my favorite part is the customization of Jensen, I see much replay value in my future!
  9. Sep 19, 2011
    Deus Ex Human Revolution, well at first i've thought it was going to be a **** but playing it I realized that the game is actually good, of course sometimes the game becomes boring cause 80% of the game is about hackhing that and this. Several features i don't like about the game: the alarm, detection system of the AI: bots are really stupid and they don't represent a threat (you justDeus Ex Human Revolution, well at first i've thought it was going to be a **** but playing it I realized that the game is actually good, of course sometimes the game becomes boring cause 80% of the game is about hackhing that and this. Several features i don't like about the game: the alarm, detection system of the AI: bots are really stupid and they don't represent a threat (you just gotta have to use any weapon with the a silencer attached); the takedown system: while you takedown an enemy (by killing or neutralize him) the game froze and the other enemies near you literally stands and look at you taking down the target... very disappointing. Hacking system is good, i really like it but why hacking is improved by augmentation and not skills ? (like in Deus Ex 1 where hacking was considered as a skill).
    Overall the game is not bad, (considering that nowdays games are firstly produced for consoles, and consoles HAVE RUINED gaming experience) sure it dosen't compete with Deus Ex 1 but it is way better of Deus Ex 2... My advice: play it!
  10. Sep 4, 2011
    I LOVE this game and the choice it gives you in completing missions. I often find myself stopping to really think of how best to tackle any given situation. The game does such a good job of combining strategy/RPG elements with 1st person shooting. The voice acting is a bit hit or miss, but overall decent. Graphics are solid with a dark, Blade Runner-type feel although I would have liked toI LOVE this game and the choice it gives you in completing missions. I often find myself stopping to really think of how best to tackle any given situation. The game does such a good job of combining strategy/RPG elements with 1st person shooting. The voice acting is a bit hit or miss, but overall decent. Graphics are solid with a dark, Blade Runner-type feel although I would have liked to have seen a little more varied color palette. It's like somebody couldn't put down their yellow crayons. The score is fantastic! My only complaints with the game are mostly nitpicks. The framerate stutters once in awhile and the control scheme takes some getting used to if you have played a lot of triple-A shooters like Halo, Battlefield, and Call of Duty. My only real complaint is the map/waypoint system. It's downright hard to navigate and comprehend, and to date I have not found a way to even set a waypoint. I feel like this game would have really benefited from a guide like you have in the superb Dead Space games. These gripes aside, overall Deus Ex is an outstanding gaming experience with an extremely well written story loaded with conspiracies and multiple plot twists and turns. It's a blast getting to play with all the different types of weapons, gadgets, and augmentations at your disposal. This is hands down my sleeper hit of the summer and will easily keep my occupied until late September when the first of the fall/holiday blockbusters start rolling in. If you have the cash, this game is WELL worth it. It's easily a 50 hour or more experience if you do the side missions and really explore the environment. If you are the type who likes to see all the endings this game can have, then you more than get your money's worth! HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Expand
  11. Jan 31, 2012
    Something went wrong. I've read a lot of positive reviews about this game but I wasn't so into it as I thought I will be. I don't quite follow the story - it simply does not seem interesting for me. Dialogs are average and animtalks are week. What I do like is the concept of the game, its art style/design and finisher animations - being a futuristic, "improved" badass feels good. HavingSomething went wrong. I've read a lot of positive reviews about this game but I wasn't so into it as I thought I will be. I don't quite follow the story - it simply does not seem interesting for me. Dialogs are average and animtalks are week. What I do like is the concept of the game, its art style/design and finisher animations - being a futuristic, "improved" badass feels good. Having multiple options in eliminating enemies feels good. But hiding curled up in the corner in order not to being shot feels,,, well I must say that if I would have such powers I wouldn't act like a total wimp. And what's with the old-school diablo-style inventory ?! He doesn't wear any backpack anyways?! Expand
  12. Sep 17, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game in many ways, however the boss fights - #2 and beyond - are ridiculously dependent on build type. Had more thought been put into allowing for multiple ways to defeat the bosses. like the first boss (which was hard but not absurdly so), then this score would be much higher. I love the cyberpunk setting, the stealth mechanics and the story. Its a great game butI really enjoyed this game in many ways, however the boss fights - #2 and beyond - are ridiculously dependent on build type. Had more thought been put into allowing for multiple ways to defeat the bosses. like the first boss (which was hard but not absurdly so), then this score would be much higher. I love the cyberpunk setting, the stealth mechanics and the story. Its a great game but the climax is unavailable unless you have some very specific abilities. Expand
  13. Aug 26, 2011
    The fact that certain morons give this game such a low score, without actually pointing out its innumerable merits, discredits them completely. This game is beautiful. Granted not perfect, but it would be unrealistic to expect much more from a game of this magnitude. The technical constraints, I can only imagine, were numerous. I can't stand net-douches trolling just for the sake ofThe fact that certain morons give this game such a low score, without actually pointing out its innumerable merits, discredits them completely. This game is beautiful. Granted not perfect, but it would be unrealistic to expect much more from a game of this magnitude. The technical constraints, I can only imagine, were numerous. I can't stand net-douches trolling just for the sake of trolling. Disliking a game is one thing, but giving a game with so much depth a "0" or a 1"???? That's just plain ignorance. The story is fantastic, extremely engaging, and to anyone with at least a grade 5 level of intelligence, enormously relevant in today's society. I suspect "Tallow", "Arata", "UserJuicer", "Veeediot" and the like to suffer from severe brain hemorrhaging. This might explain the stupidity and ignorance in their posts. You guys might want to get checked out - could be fatal. Douchebags aside, the gameplay is tight - despite occasional AI glitches - and thoroughly immersive. The sheer amount of options at your disposal when customizing your character is astounding. I found myself taking forever to choose where I would use my praxis points, as almost every decision you make in Human Revolution has a direct impact in your experience. And that is fantastic. Rarely have I found myself so drawn into a world, a game, the way I have with Human Revolution. Pay no mind to the ignorant - they are absolutely entitled to their opinions, but disliking a game and trashing it score wise without pointing ANY redeeming qualities, is just plain trolling. If you're a fan of engaging stories, intense action and Rpgs in general, then do yourself a favor and buy this game. Forget the trolls. Deus Ex Human Revolution deserves better. Expand
  14. Aug 27, 2011
    Do not pirate this game! It took 11 long years to finally be able to play a game that continues with the same idea of giving you choices throughout the whole game. When the original Deus Ex came out I thought that this is the future of gaming , it really felt like a virtual world where you could immerse yourself, manipulate and interact with almost everything and everyone. UnfortunatelyDo not pirate this game! It took 11 long years to finally be able to play a game that continues with the same idea of giving you choices throughout the whole game. When the original Deus Ex came out I thought that this is the future of gaming , it really felt like a virtual world where you could immerse yourself, manipulate and interact with almost everything and everyone. Unfortunately these games take too long to develop therefore costly plus the original wasn`t a commercial hit. Here I am 11 years later playing DEHR and thinking OMG I wish this would be successful! Otherwise we might have to wait another decade playing the thousand CoD clones. It really shows that the developers had a huge respect towards the original,I had goosebumps listening the OST of DE from radios in-game. And of course I spent like 5 mins trying to score with the basketball:) I was afraid of a few things like the cover system which I don't like but the great thing again that you are not forced to use it. That's another reason why I can recommend it to anyone who is a little bit worried that it's dumbed down or the controls won't be great on PC. All-in-all every aspect of the game shows that it was very well thought-out and they took great care of every little detail. I was actually surprised that I haven't seen Jacob's novels anywhere... So do yourself a favour and buy it (it will give you many enjoyable hours). Now all I want is the new Thief and of course a sequel. And please someone revive System Shock like these guys did with DE! Expand
  15. Aug 25, 2011
    It's a shame 'syrik' gave this a bad review. He/She was obviously expecting an FPS, sadly it is not. It is a stealth game similar to Splinter Cell, you can kill people, but only in such a way that others don't know your doing it. What you shouldn't do is go in all guns blazing for you will fail. The intelligent AI is designed to flank you if you stay in battle with them for a while. FPSIt's a shame 'syrik' gave this a bad review. He/She was obviously expecting an FPS, sadly it is not. It is a stealth game similar to Splinter Cell, you can kill people, but only in such a way that others don't know your doing it. What you shouldn't do is go in all guns blazing for you will fail. The intelligent AI is designed to flank you if you stay in battle with them for a while. FPS fans will see that as a fault but I think it is what makes this game the masterpiece it is. The voice acting could be better but that is such a minor fault compared to it's many successes. Must buy, perfect. Expand
  16. Aug 25, 2011
    I have been waiting for this for awhile, so I will admit that I was a bit more critical that some might have been. Yes, the controls are a little wonky on the PC version, but with an xbox controller plugged in that all goes away. People expecting a run and gun futuristic shooter have obviously never played a Deus Ex game and need to pick up one of the predecessors before judging this to beI have been waiting for this for awhile, so I will admit that I was a bit more critical that some might have been. Yes, the controls are a little wonky on the PC version, but with an xbox controller plugged in that all goes away. People expecting a run and gun futuristic shooter have obviously never played a Deus Ex game and need to pick up one of the predecessors before judging this to be something it's not. Although it IS a stealth ops kinda game, I was expecting a little more balance built into the choices. I chose to snoop around on the first level and was rewarded with a richly detailed environment to explore with lots of secrets, but at the cost of many lives in the second level due to my time constraints. Not a good way to start the game. But after that, things felt more balanced. The graphics are amazing(running full spec on a radeonHD6770) and very fluid, level design is just as claustrophobic yet epic in scale as invisible war, and the characters are deep. Sound was great as in the way of score, but I noticed with headphones on the surround gets a little washed out, if and when it's actually programmed. All in all, a must have for anyone that's been gaming for more that 10 years, and if Eidos Montreal does as well with Thief as they did bringing this back, a new renaissance in gaming might just be at hand...... Expand
  17. Aug 30, 2011
    I wanted to give this a 10, because I really like this game, ALOT. There are a few problems though. First off, some of the cities are a nightmare to navigate: I want to enter this building, I am on the "main street", but there is no entrance at all, the only entrance to the building is having me climb around and about for 5-10 minutes until I found the backalley (could probably be doneI wanted to give this a 10, because I really like this game, ALOT. There are a few problems though. First off, some of the cities are a nightmare to navigate: I want to enter this building, I am on the "main street", but there is no entrance at all, the only entrance to the building is having me climb around and about for 5-10 minutes until I found the backalley (could probably be done faster afterwards), that is really annoying, and it doesn't seem "realistic" in a game that, in its world at least, tries to be somewhat realistic. I don't want to spend 5-10min running around finding an entrance, that is annoyance, not good gameplay, especially when there SHOULD be a much more approachable entrance.

2nd, I have setup my vista os to allow for maximum performance in games. In The Witcher 2 (arguably prettier than Deus Ex) I am getting 30+ FPS (everything except for ubersampling on max) and no weird or occassional drops in fps for no apparent reason. Granted I have nVidia and TW2 loves nVidia, DEHR loves ATI, I also know that engines work differently. But with the way I setup my OS and the fact that my gfx card is running at 40-70% (almost never touching 90%), and I still get choppy framerates is infuriating, that should not be happening.
    It should be said, the drop in framerates and the choppy framerates happens nomatter what graphics settings I use. Max, medium, low, custom, tesselation on/off, etc. So I assume that this is something that will be fixed with a driver from nVidia or a patch from eidos. If it does get fixed, then the real score should be 9/10 for this game imo.

Other than that; I love the atmosphere, I love the game world (except for the problem stated previously), I love the VA, the combat is good (AI could be better, but that goes for almost all games), the graphics ARE pretty and I really love the art style. So, some people may find the two points I pointed out to be very minor things, to me they can make me shut down the game for a time and therefore ruin the gaming experience.
  18. Sep 5, 2011
    Best game i have been playing in 2011. Great atmosphere, great storyline, great music. Everything on it's place. Definitely worth buying. My Game of the Year favorite.
  19. Sep 2, 2011
    Every once in a while, a game comes along that blows me away. Bioshock was one of them, Half-Life 2 was another, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a third. The story is deep and thought-provoking, layered with questionable morality and poignant statements about human ethics, frequently asking the question 'at what point does humanity go too far?'. Complimented by a beautiful soundtrack,Every once in a while, a game comes along that blows me away. Bioshock was one of them, Half-Life 2 was another, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a third. The story is deep and thought-provoking, layered with questionable morality and poignant statements about human ethics, frequently asking the question 'at what point does humanity go too far?'. Complimented by a beautiful soundtrack, incredible art design and expansive gameplay, Human Revolution gives you the total freedom to choose your own play-style (be it stealthy, violent, pacifistic or otherwise) and to branch the story based on your own syntheses. A huge contender for Game Of The Year, a worthy sequel to the original Deus Ex and one of the most damn-impressive games I've played in the last 10 years. Expand
  20. Oct 3, 2011
    I'm going to debunk the old deus ex pc fans by saying that a lot of what they are saying is simple nostalgia. You have to remember the old deus ex as a game where the only way to disable someone was to hit them over the back of the head with a pole or stun them. You could not get into a firefight most of the time without ramping up your heavy weapon skills and the tranq bow was an absoluteI'm going to debunk the old deus ex pc fans by saying that a lot of what they are saying is simple nostalgia. You have to remember the old deus ex as a game where the only way to disable someone was to hit them over the back of the head with a pole or stun them. You could not get into a firefight most of the time without ramping up your heavy weapon skills and the tranq bow was an absolute joke. (Remember? You shoot them and then they run around for five minutes until they collapse?) Each mission was the same thing, shoot (or stun) xyb then talk to xyb and then collect or disable something. The levels looked like something a prison inmate would design (I remember the "fort" being a large square with holes in it). They did a brilliant job bringing Deus Ex to life again. Seriously, compare the two and see for yourself. I have three gripes with the game, 1: The atrocious boss fights. 2: The melee system running on little bars of energy(you can't cloak and then disable the enemy without eating an energy bar lol). 3: the enemy has incredible aim and can even hit you behind cover most of the time. WTF Eidos?! Those boss fights will deter any chance you had of getting a majority to enjoy this game till the end. Expand
  21. Jan 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished DE: Human Revolution with mixed feelings. I wanted to like this game, but most of the time I didn't enjoy it very much. I bought this game because of the interesting plot of the previous 2 Deus Ex games. I have to say I am not totally satisfied. First of all, it is very easy to guess what is going on and what is going to happen. This spoiled some of the fun and motivation. Secondly, what comes to freedom of choice, Human Revolution is like DE1: you really have only one. You can choose a playing style that suits you, but you can't affect the course of your character very much. Only in the end you can really choose.

So here comes the number one flaw: there are many missions where you sneak past 30 enemies to meet a big bad boss, just to notice that he/she has moved elsewhere already, or even worse, escapes with a cutscene!! How bad can a game designer be, to make cutscene escapes?

Number two flaw: you can't choose who you work for! I wanted to get rid of that greedy bastard Sarif and his **** Megan right away, but I couldn't!! Pisses me off. DE2 made this really well, but now this system was removed, why?

The game without the plot was rather ok, but kinda repetitive. Sneak/shoot, hack, go thru vents. Repeat 50 times. In short: interesting plot, but not as interesting as in DE1. More limited plot and freedom of choice than in DE2. Basically the same game as DE1, with improved graphics and Metal Gear Solid sneaking.
  22. Sep 2, 2011
    Still a pleasant game... But i was quite disappointed by this game.
    The first DX was done in 2000. Eleven years ago. And this new game give like no innovation at all to the license. Same interractions... no more. Most of the places are just plenty corridors and desktop room with computers to hack,...ect...
    I was waiting more of it.
  23. Mar 30, 2012
    Whether or not you're a fan of the Deus Ex series is irrelevant. The simple fact that the game combines so many solid gaming elements, from third person cover shooting to stealth game-play, means the game is going to be enjoyable to any demographic. The story itself is a little hard to follow and the writers throw quite a bit of philosophical jargon into the mix, but it's really just aWhether or not you're a fan of the Deus Ex series is irrelevant. The simple fact that the game combines so many solid gaming elements, from third person cover shooting to stealth game-play, means the game is going to be enjoyable to any demographic. The story itself is a little hard to follow and the writers throw quite a bit of philosophical jargon into the mix, but it's really just a means to take you from one area to the next and give you as many options for tackling an objective as you can think of. From guns blazing to sneaking through areas as a ghost, every tactic you use to complete your mission really makes you feel like an augmented bad-ass. Throw in some great art design and a stirring cyberpunk soundtrack and you've got one awesome game. I could mention the sometimes glitched AI and the often cumbersome and ambiguous map system, but that's really just nitpicking on something that is a really solid package. Expand
  24. Sep 10, 2012
    This is a very decent game, with a great plot, nice atmosphere, way closer to the first Deus Ex than Invisible war was; and it's probably one of the best console ports I've ever seen so far. So why only 6 ?

Because THIS particular game has been awaited soooo long by most gamers that a lame *CONSOLE* *PORT* just doesn't fit. If you're discovering Deus Ex with this title, it must be fun and pleasing, but when you've enjoyed the first Deus Ex several times, to see it taken to this level of coarseness only for profit, it's just sad and frustrating. I might be a little harsh, but really, I expected more from this game. Way more. Now, let's hope some independent developer will bring some decent alternative to this title; since the gaming industry seems to care too less about quality and too much about profit.
  25. Sep 1, 2011
    Pros: - Deep story with various options. - Smart enough AI. (not perfect though) - Great replay value.

Cons: - The dynamic light and shadow effects is not great. Many light sources in the game doesn't cast shadows. - The lip syncing in this game is bad. - The cut scene transition is not as smooth as the original game.
  26. Sep 2, 2011
    Very good game, but not as good as the original. Boss battles feel forced, artificial, and ultimately pointless. Plot follows a similar version of originals storyline, but all of the intrigue and conspiracy feels shallow. Illuminati are mentioned like twice, but it's never explained how exactly their plan functions.
  27. Oct 18, 2011
    This game is a great way to lose about 40-60 hours of your life. It pulls you in and crafts a world that simply begs for exploration. I fear it has limited replay ability, but that doesn't detract from the first or second run-through.
  28. Nov 23, 2011
    Definitely a worthy game in the Deus Ex line unlike the nightmare of IW. Great story, interesting characters, a unique art design, and q phenomenal soundtrack really make it an experience. However, boss fights can be a pain with certain augmentations.
  29. Mar 3, 2012
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is Deus Ex for the next generation. The plot, main character, music and gameplay are so similar that veterans will feel at home and newbies will awe at the game's excellence.
  30. May 27, 2012
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution has to be one of, if not my favourite game of all time. Touching on the increasingly more and more relevant subject of augmentation and the increase of implants/medical procedures to give people back their abilities otherwise lost or even to enhance them, we get to experience the human revolution for ourselves. The story is very immersive, throwing you back andDeus Ex: Human Revolution has to be one of, if not my favourite game of all time. Touching on the increasingly more and more relevant subject of augmentation and the increase of implants/medical procedures to give people back their abilities otherwise lost or even to enhance them, we get to experience the human revolution for ourselves. The story is very immersive, throwing you back and forth, never knowing which side to take or even believe we truly feel lost and even better that when an objective has been completed, that we are picking up secret information we weren't supposed to know. Having hit just over 20 hours on my first play through, there is more than enough story to keep you going for a fair while. What made the game a hit with me though was how it made me feel, at times I agreed and loved augmentation, the idea of enhancing lives, giving back what we could/have lost and generally moving forward as a race, but other times afraid, HR shown us how humanity could further use its own powers against itself, it more and more violent ways to keep humanity down and citizens under control and these different arguments were great because they caused a great moral conflict, a feeling not many games give you. Other little points made this game great to, the ability again to chose your augments meant the game was more personal, you chose whatever fitted you which ultimately meant a different experience between all players which is always good. The cover system made fighting more intense while retaining good stealth game play, which is just good fun.Scenery was gorgeous, futuristic WIFI smart cities bustling with life and tech, which doesn't seem to SCI FI but rather close, when you think about it all the tech used around the places is just a mere advancement of what we already have, however a lot of the cities had slum areas which was a great reminder of how humanity if splitting itself apart, the rich and the poor, those going forward and those being left behind and its the little things like this which help to give this game a great atmosphere. The bosses however... yes they were quite annoying, with no ability of using stealth, or augments, they ruined the experience, however if you run in head first, they aren't that hard just more of a chore, but if we put that aside, it really isn't that bad a part of the game. Quests were a plenty and gave us a good insight to the lives of people, how augments had changed them, but also how life is harder, but again not unbelievable, just an extension of the lives some people actually lead, drug and gang culture etc. The greatest point for me was the ending... never have I sat there pondering the choice of ending, thinking which should I do, but this game got me thinking and I generally found my choice hard, but also very rewarding with what I got out of it. Not only a great video to end the game, but a weird feeling inside reminding me that one day humanity will hit this breaking point. The feelings I got though when playing this, when finishing it was what made this game for me. I was throw about, not knowing who to trust, always feeling lost - but most of all the moral conflict was great. Not knowing whether to agree or disagree with what humanity is is doing to itself. If you want to be immersed and have an amazing story told you will not regret this purchase, definitely an amazing game. Expand
  31. Jun 11, 2013
    Its just like they ran out of budget fairly early on.

There's a lack of integrity throughout; If you shoot a guard, alarms will sound and his buddies will pursue you... All you have to do is go upstairs and everything's cool. I had 5 guards after me. I simply hid behind an office desk. They shot and shot but couldn't follow me and eventually returned to their patrols. To cap it off,
    Its just like they ran out of budget fairly early on.

I had 5 guards after me. I simply hid behind an office desk. They shot and shot but couldn't follow me and eventually returned to their patrols. To cap it off, while hiding under the desk I opened a drawer to look for items. When the coast was clear I found that I couldn't get past the open drawer. I was stuck and had to restart the game.
    Also... You can punch a hole in a reinforced concrete wall but explosives won't knock a biro off a desk.
    The ridiculous takedown animations are completely out of place. It'd a mish mash of metal gear stealth vs mortal kombat finishing. Bizarre.
    The cut scenes are just awful. Poor character design scripted and acted by third rate amateurs.
    I desperately want to like this game. But in the end its not sufficiently finished for me to want to continue. I find PC Gamer's review of this game quite sinister. Its as if they went with promo blurb from eidos and didn't actually play the game.
    If you genuinely review this as above average then you're not asking enough of games developers.
    I'm stopping playing it. Need I say more?
  32. Jul 15, 2014
    I say, without any form of exaggeration, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is easily the worst video game I have ever played. I have played MANY bad games, some of which can scarcely be called "games", in my life, but every game I have played in my life, even those I have hated, have one thing in common that Human Revolution lacks: None of these games have caused me actual physical pain throughI say, without any form of exaggeration, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is easily the worst video game I have ever played. I have played MANY bad games, some of which can scarcely be called "games", in my life, but every game I have played in my life, even those I have hated, have one thing in common that Human Revolution lacks: None of these games have caused me actual physical pain through their game design as Human Revolution has.

The game's art designer made decision to wash the entire game in a monochromatic "piss" yellow filter to cover his poor art assets and self inserting his own face onto the main character. This filter forces my eyes to attempt to separate yellow (a color that on its own is harsh on the human eye) from a slightly different yellow, a very stressful and irritating process that makes the game unplayable for me. How this was never realized during testing and before release is beyond me.

Even the mods that "fix" this problem do little more than make the harsh lighting white, not yellow. While white lighting is much less annoying than yellow is, attempting to seperate objects in the truly monochromatic environment (what is called "monochromatic" tends to have two colors, white and black, that contrast nicely and easily let you see objects, and greyscale even lets you make out detail in items)

I STRONGLY recommend against paying for this game, or playing it even if you don't have to pay for it. The physical pain aspect means that I could not even accept playing it even if I were payed to do so. This game should NEVER have been released in the state it was, and to actually charge money to fix this problem, as the developers have done, is just disgusting.
  33. Aug 27, 2011
    This game is so great - If a game can be Art - This is. Great (!) story and gameplay. It will make you thinking about future and technology. The greatest game since 11 years :-) THX Eidos

I hope we'll get DLC soon :-)
  34. Aug 23, 2011
    A true sequel to a great game. My only objections would be that the games graphics seem to be hinder by this game being on consoles but it is by no means a bad port. The developers did a good job of reworking the UI and even allow you to change FOV in the menu something that most FPS ports that claim to cater to PC gamers neglect more often than not. If you enjoy games like the originalA true sequel to a great game. My only objections would be that the games graphics seem to be hinder by this game being on consoles but it is by no means a bad port. The developers did a good job of reworking the UI and even allow you to change FOV in the menu something that most FPS ports that claim to cater to PC gamers neglect more often than not. If you enjoy games like the original Deus or Vampire: Bloodlines then this is a most own game. Expand
  35. Aug 26, 2011
    Sat there and sat there and sat there, wondering if I should really buy this game, and believe me I know $49.99...ugh I don't want to pay that, but trust me, this is an absolute masterpiece. The graphics are incredible, so much so, that the in game graphics are even better than most cut-scenes in the game, and the cut-scenes are beautiful. The game mechanics are practically flawless, theSat there and sat there and sat there, wondering if I should really buy this game, and believe me I know $49.99...ugh I don't want to pay that, but trust me, this is an absolute masterpiece. The graphics are incredible, so much so, that the in game graphics are even better than most cut-scenes in the game, and the cut-scenes are beautiful. The game mechanics are practically flawless, the game does an excellent job at allowing you to choose your own course of action, stealth, assault, mix, you name it. I, being a Splinter Cell lover, prefer the stealth approach, and trust me the mechanics of this game bring nostalgia of playing the old Splinter Cell games, a feeling that no game to date has even come close to filling. And to top it off, the storyline and overall immersion the game makes you feel is top notch, far superior than most movies. It's an art, buy it. Expand
  36. Aug 26, 2011
    This game has everything a RPG or Sci-fi lover would enjoy. There is a depth of plot, a dozen ways to approach almost any obstacle, engaging physics, and entertaining story-altering choices. If you agree with me that the original Deus Ex was one of the best PC games ever made, then trust me when I say this will not disappoint. About the trolls who complained about this â
  37. Aug 25, 2011
    Outstanding game, detailed to the max, excellent dialogue/voice acting, superb gameplay mechanics. I played on low graphics due to bad PC, so I can't comment on graphics, but they can't be too bad. Storyline is great, good amounts of action, hacking gets tense at the harder stages. Good array of weapons, just reeks of a good game. Definitely get if you want some 20 odd hours of solid immersion
  38. Aug 25, 2011
    The few people that don't like this game because the graphics aren't up to their standards don't know a good game. Personally, I got one of the best graphics cards out right now and the game looks crystal. All consoles won't be able to show how good it is because consoles are outdated compared to the new graphics technology for computers. If you can't spring to run high graphics don'tThe few people that don't like this game because the graphics aren't up to their standards don't know a good game. Personally, I got one of the best graphics cards out right now and the game looks crystal. All consoles won't be able to show how good it is because consoles are outdated compared to the new graphics technology for computers. If you can't spring to run high graphics don't flame the game makers because you can't keep up with technology. This is also a good sized game too. At almost 9GB it would be crazy to up the graphics higher on all the models making probably close to 16GB+ Expand
  39. Aug 27, 2011
    If you are a fan of the original Deus Ex, then you are going to definitely love this game. It is everything a Deus Ex game should be. And, things like regenerating health and the cover system are done so well that you will really enjoy them. Ever since the loading times issue was fixed, I've had no issues with the game. Absolutely a 10/10.
  40. Aug 27, 2011
    This game is awesome.
    Every aspect of this game is designed in details. Stealth, hacking, FPS and RP elements, dialogue, sounds (except Adam's voice - it's not perfectly suits him) - everything. I can't say much about script since I didn't complete Deus Ex at the moment, but I bet its good.
    Human Revolution is excellent-made cyberpunk game. I do not regret I bought it.
  41. Aug 29, 2011
    to all the haters of this game, syrik: long load times? how old is your computer? i load it in 10 seconds max on a 2 year old hp ARATA: false choice? you enter a mission anyway you want and your choices reflect the future of the game! TALLOW: weapons? its 2027! you dont expect the game to have nuke like massive weapons do you? seriously? And the AI tell me a game that has betterto all the haters of this game, syrik: long load times? how old is your computer? i load it in 10 seconds max on a 2 year old hp ARATA: false choice? you enter a mission anyway you want and your choices reflect the future of the game! TALLOW: weapons? its 2027! you dont expect the game to have nuke like massive weapons do you? seriously? And the AI tell me a game that has better AI...seriously in another FPS/RPG/action/adventure game.....USERJUICER: not even past the first hour? wow you suck at games, and have no level of opinion if your ONLY AN HOUR IN!?!??! out of a 30 hour game! jesus...TRICK: hardcore FPS fan? get out....DIGIMO: havnt played the first Dues Ex? get out with FPS fanboy here....JUJUBEADS: worst AI in 6 years? really? you cant name another game? are you ok in the head? COD has people standing behind wall ready to play POP GOSE THE WEESLE! while DEHR has people flanking you and actually searching for you! yea its not perfect but you make a realistic AI code and tell me its easy and if you have section in your reaview that staits positive game features then it dose not deserve a 0.tool ....COECO: its not an FPS dipstick.....Shinigurai: mass effect 2 is an RPG/TPS Deus Ex is a FPS/RPG/action/adventure if you caught that before, DIRECT COPY? can you approach missions the way you want? Augment yourself into a badass human/machine? no. all you people are making complete stupid comments on a game that dose something different from other games, and innovates the game medium with its unique gameplay. and you people want to give the game a 0 because of what? bad AI? you might as well give every other game a 0 then. not enough weapons? how much do you actually want or need? even then its a minor complaint, and give it done to a 9. seriously guys stop being mellow dramatic like the 10 year olds that you really are and grow up and actually look for real complaints and make a real score... Expand
  42. Aug 26, 2011
    This is what I would imagine the original would be like if remade. It is really that true to its roots. Just from watching friends I've found around 4 completely unique approaches to playing the game that get drastically different results, so far: angel of death (stealth killing everything), white knight (only nonlethal takedowns), sniper (creating commotions from afar and using theThis is what I would imagine the original would be like if remade. It is really that true to its roots. Just from watching friends I've found around 4 completely unique approaches to playing the game that get drastically different results, so far: angel of death (stealth killing everything), white knight (only nonlethal takedowns), sniper (creating commotions from afar and using the confusion to your advantage), and rambo (killing everything that can be killed from the beginning). That's just from around 30 hours of playing and watching... who knows how many ways this will effect the story. I can honestly see sinking 100s of hours into this masterpiece. Expand
  43. Aug 25, 2011
    This game is pure awesome. I've started it on the hardest difficulty and i really must use stealth, neutralise enimies silently, hacking security and do all this espionage stuff. Dialogues are also great, no one tells you how your replies will influence the outcome of a conversation, and you must carefully pick them to achieve positive results. There is no "LMB to be good, RMB to be bad".This game is pure awesome. I've started it on the hardest difficulty and i really must use stealth, neutralise enimies silently, hacking security and do all this espionage stuff. Dialogues are also great, no one tells you how your replies will influence the outcome of a conversation, and you must carefully pick them to achieve positive results. There is no "LMB to be good, RMB to be bad". Hacking mini-game is just fantastic, ME2's hacking is just a joke compared to DE's one, it's really interesting, and i really enjoy almost every mini-game.
    There are some flaws in the game, but they are so minor that you hardly notice them. One of them is quality of prerendered cutscenes - for some reason they look worse than ingame render. The second is quite long loading times.

The game is absolutely worth it's 50 bucks. Buy it.
  44. Aug 25, 2011
    I just made an account to comment on this rubbish. Is the gaming industry so tainted that "false reviews" and even paid reviewers are such a real and rampant thing. I still really trust the majority of gaming journalism sites but when a game like this gets such universal praise and truly fails to live up to that praise, I begin to question integrity.... And as far as these user reviewsI just made an account to comment on this rubbish. Is the gaming industry so tainted that "false reviews" and even paid reviewers are such a real and rampant thing. I still really trust the majority of gaming journalism sites but when a game like this gets such universal praise and truly fails to live up to that praise, I begin to question integrity.... And as far as these user reviews go, YOU ARE NOT FOOLING ANYONE. Having employees write positive reviews is disgusting, it makes me want to throw up, stop reading the internet for gaming advice etc. and then to go so far as to copy and paste reviews to counter people's poor ratings!?!? it really makes me sick, hence the reason this is my first metacritic post, I felt so compelled to write this. I have only played this game about 5 hours, at first I was optimistic and now the further in I get the more discouraged I have become. The lifeless character models combined with the poor dialogue and voice acting really hampers any enjoyment I begin to feel from the gameplay; on top of the fact that I have begun to notice some significant bugs/slowdown for no apparent reason. (I have an awesome rig) I can't comment on the story much because I haven't made it that far, but so far I am underwhelmed. I want to like this game, I really do; i will continue to play it and hope it gets better. I played the original when it came out so many years ago and I loved it then. I really just wanted to comment on the horrid practices of anyone who was paid to give this game a good review, and the employees spamming user reviews. that is all.... Expand
  45. Aug 28, 2011
    I am a longtime PC gamer who never played the legendary Deus Ex original. In the beginning, this game seems to underwhelm: Detroit's environs are drab and depressing; gameplay options appear limiting; and characters fit into broadly generic molds.

However, Human Revolution improves dramatically several hours in, turning into a spectacular and rare treat: like few before it, this game rewards what you put into it. You delve into the intricate plot conspiracy, hack computers for key details and hardware, scan for several ways to take out and evade enemies, and agonize over which augmentations to apply with your precious Praxis points to supplement your playstyle. The art design is also second to none, applying strokes of visual brilliance to a thematically consistent canvas, opening up beautifully once you enter China.

I spent almost 12 continuous hours playing through the middle part of the game - something I've almost never done before. After Mass Effect 2, this is my favorite single-player experience in the last ten years; it is one of those rare gems that reminds you why you love gaming. It rises above the din and drone of todayâ
  46. Aug 25, 2011
    No idea why the few who hate it do, Its beautiful in every sense, the game play is sublime, the story compelling. The GFX are beautiful, smooth, glitch free and suit the setting perfectly, Sound is perfection with sweeping synths similar to mass effect, but also the Tron Legacy Movie. I have everything on max except for Anti Aliasing which is one step down. Its proper grown up Sci-Fi, ifNo idea why the few who hate it do, Its beautiful in every sense, the game play is sublime, the story compelling. The GFX are beautiful, smooth, glitch free and suit the setting perfectly, Sound is perfection with sweeping synths similar to mass effect, but also the Tron Legacy Movie. I have everything on max except for Anti Aliasing which is one step down. Its proper grown up Sci-Fi, if you are more Blade Runner than Star Wars you will adore this title. I can tell it will be one of the all-time classics. If there was one complaint (and its very minor) the talking animation is a little stiff, but it doesn't effect the game in the least. Up there in joint 1st place this year with Portal 2 for me.. very happy buyer here!! (thank you steam!) Expand
  47. Aug 27, 2011
    Disregard the loading screen comments that's been patched 3 days after release. The graphics might not be a modern technology showcase but the art direction is stylish and the environments can be breathtaking - in any case the important thing here is the dedication to bringing this world to life evidenced by the many layers of detail and intrigue left for you to discover during yourDisregard the loading screen comments that's been patched 3 days after release. The graphics might not be a modern technology showcase but the art direction is stylish and the environments can be breathtaking - in any case the important thing here is the dedication to bringing this world to life evidenced by the many layers of detail and intrigue left for you to discover during your playthrough. And I mean YOUR playthrough as not two will be identical. You can make it through the game without killing anyone, or you can murder every civilian in the city. You can hack security doors or smash through a wall. You can crawl through a vent or detonate mines or gas a room or throw vending machines at people or hijack killer robots. Every problemset by the game offers a myriad of solutions that will encourage you to play again and again. And I haven't mentioned the brilliant music, the humor, the engrossing story, the brutally effective augmentation system... Here it is guys: the game PC gaming needed, the sequel Deus Ex deserved. Don't you dare pirate this. Expand
  48. Sep 6, 2012
    I really tried to like this game but when you are forcing yourself to continue playing you know something is not right. Deus Ex Human Revolution is a perfect example of a "jack of all trades, master at none" type of game. The game may offer the player different ways to tackle the problem but none of them work really well. The combat feels stiff, underwhelming and unsatisfying and theI really tried to like this game but when you are forcing yourself to continue playing you know something is not right. Deus Ex Human Revolution is a perfect example of a "jack of all trades, master at none" type of game. The game may offer the player different ways to tackle the problem but none of them work really well. The combat feels stiff, underwhelming and unsatisfying and the stealth feels shallow and linear. The hacking is a mess with its chance-based core and 30 second lockout forcing the player to abuse the quickload button and the conversations though functional and quite innovative feels constricted and more like a tool to advance the story than for you to play around with. Overall the game feels really unpolished and there are a lot of strange design choices here and there. The energy system is a mess, the map-interface is annoying, the boss battles are dumb and the menu-interface is kind of crappy. The fact that you often need specific augments to advance in the route you have taking is also annoying and if you don't feel like backtracking from time to time you will probably walk around with a couple of praxis on you just in case. Making the augment-system much more constricted that it need to be. The game is still decent though and if you can look past its problem there is a meaty action-rpg waiting for you. I should mention that i didn't finish the game (12 hours in) and therefore and i have no idea if the game gets better or worse at the later parts in the game. Expand
  49. Aug 25, 2012
    I loved the design, inventory, map etc and the world seemed of a piece. The stealth was really fun as known from Deus Ex but I hated the "bosses". They are kind of overpowered and do not seem to fit into the story/game at ALL.
  50. Aug 26, 2011
    A breath of fresh air in the stagnant abyss that is the majority of multiplatform gaming these days. True to the excellent original whilst maintaining it own identity, This will be one of the games of the year.
  51. Aug 27, 2011
    Edios have made Deus Ex, which roughly translates from Latin to 'God made from the machine'.

That's quite apt, considering the quality of the game.
  52. Aug 27, 2011
    Absolutely the best game in years. Ignore any reviews stating problems with hardware or anything along the lines of technical issues. The game has been out for only 3 days, and already patches have been released on steam to reduce load times by 50%, and so on. The storyline is deep and engaging, the game is addictive and never feels repetative. Eidos Montreal has created a winner withAbsolutely the best game in years. Ignore any reviews stating problems with hardware or anything along the lines of technical issues. The game has been out for only 3 days, and already patches have been released on steam to reduce load times by 50%, and so on. The storyline is deep and engaging, the game is addictive and never feels repetative. Eidos Montreal has created a winner with this one.. one can only look forward to the next title in the series which will improve upon the few minor faults in this title. Expand
  53. Aug 27, 2011
    In short, the game is very enjoying. When u start to get inside the cyberpunk world that Eidos Montreal created, u can't get enough. Everything inside is working excellent. NPC interaction is well constructed, shooting is proper, building upa our protagonist is really easy and gives a lot of fun. The game is like Metal Gear Solid meeting a Bladerunner and drop by for a drink to your PC.In short, the game is very enjoying. When u start to get inside the cyberpunk world that Eidos Montreal created, u can't get enough. Everything inside is working excellent. NPC interaction is well constructed, shooting is proper, building upa our protagonist is really easy and gives a lot of fun. The game is like Metal Gear Solid meeting a Bladerunner and drop by for a drink to your PC. What can i say, if u care more about story and many options of solving problems, it's absolutely worth your time and money. Hope u'll enjoy the game as i am. :) Expand
  54. Sep 2, 2011
    With no doubt one of the best games I've ever played. Maybe the best at all.
    Story is very important to me and in Deus Ex I found plenty. Good characters, good atmosphere, surprising story twists, uncertainty on who to trust and who not.
    Gameplay is very good and gives a good "feeling" thanks to the good physic engine too. Augmentations (like "talents" in RPGs) are good and fun. Every
    With no doubt one of the best games I've ever played. Maybe the best at all.
    Augmentations (like "talents" in RPGs) are good and fun.
    Every level has different ways to approach it. Very fun for "explorers" like me. It's nice to explore and find the best path.
    Graphics are GREAT even without directx 11 compatibility and not too heavy. It worked great on my 3 years old PC (it was quite good hardware when bought but still, it's 3 years old). Lights are well used, maps are multi-level mazes fun to explore if you want to see and find everything.
    Sound is good and music is good (tho a little to similar to Mass Effect soundtrack IMHO).
    Oh... and hacking minigames are actually FUN! First time ever I find good minigames that don't get boring after 2 times. I actually enjoyed hacking around especially when I got some hacking augmentations.
    What's bad?
    I may agree with those who say AI could be better. It's too easy to elude/evade guards and when alerted they are still to easy to beat. But it's also true that if AI was better and things were more difficult it would probably get frustrating. This way you feel "professional" and in control instead of a scared crying child.
    Anyway, there is so much to do, see and "live" in this game to make a great great experience.
    It's definitely a game worth buying and playing.
  55. Feb 6, 2012
    Ok, I have finished playing Human Revolution and I must say my first rating and review was a bit overreacted (I gave 4). On the other hand there is number of issues with this game.

For me the major concern is related to the character moving too fast and total absence of smooth graphics in-game (and itâ
  56. Aug 26, 2011
    Amazing game. Just truly amazing and well worth the $40 dollars off Amazon(use key to activate on Steam). I'm about 10 hours in and have yet to reach my first boss fight. To anyone who says this is linear...I would call them drunk. Yes there is an overall storyline to reach but you can do it however you like and reach it however you like. Unlike some linear games like FF13. Now that'sAmazing game. Just truly amazing and well worth the $40 dollars off Amazon(use key to activate on Steam). I'm about 10 hours in and have yet to reach my first boss fight. To anyone who says this is linear...I would call them drunk. Yes there is an overall storyline to reach but you can do it however you like and reach it however you like. Unlike some linear games like FF13. Now that's linear, this is far from that. On top of which you have these huge side missions that get you into more details about what's going on and you spend even more time figuring out how you want to complete a mission. You can play in a sense of going in guns a blazing or sneaking and silently killing. The amount of content put into this game is far greater than any other single-player in the past 4 years. This is how games should be made. Not 8 hours of gameplay for $60. Supposedly the game takes around 25-40 hours to complete depending on what you all do. Then once you're done you can do it again in another mode and find another ending(I hear there's quite a few). For the people who say the game has bad graphics is drunk. The game is amazing and plays super smooth. The game does sport some DX11 features which I wish I could see but I don't have a card that supports DX11...yet. But I hear it makes the game even more amazing looking. The only problem I have with the game is the slow loading of saves as sometimes it can take 20-30 seconds but I really have no problem with that. The game saves everything you do everywhere. If you clear out an area that area is going to stay clear for the most part unless some special NPC needs to appear there. So no wasted time re-clearing the same areas. Lastly you can spend hours reading all the content put into the game world. It's literally everywhere. Some hidden, some not but it really shows you how much detail they put into the game.

This game is really worth it and I suggest everyone buy this game for sure.
  57. Nov 7, 2011
    Another example of wild inflated reviews from the press. This is a very average game, the graphics are average, the voice over/scripting are average, the story is very linear and... average. The most fun I had is stacking up unconscious bodies in amusingly large piles. There are no significant choices to be made, you're the good guy, and the bad guy is bad. The original Deus Ex atAnother example of wild inflated reviews from the press. This is a very average game, the graphics are average, the voice over/scripting are average, the story is very linear and... average. The most fun I had is stacking up unconscious bodies in amusingly large piles. There are no significant choices to be made, you're the good guy, and the bad guy is bad. The original Deus Ex at least made some attempt to branch the story in a meaningful way. The progression system is also pretty much devoid of choice because you will end up with all the worthwhile options maxed anyway, the only decision you make is the order in which you max them.

It's a really average game folks, why the hype?
  58. Feb 23, 2012
    In my humble opinion this is without doubt the most wildly over-rated game I have played many years, You of course may love the game, Everyones different. But To be honest I felt ripped off and bored very quickly, After entering the city ,the story / characters personalities were not absorbing or appealing to my brains gaming reward centre, The story not so much bad just - repetitive,In my humble opinion this is without doubt the most wildly over-rated game I have played many years, You of course may love the game, Everyones different. But To be honest I felt ripped off and bored very quickly, After entering the city ,the story / characters personalities were not absorbing or appealing to my brains gaming reward centre, The story not so much bad just - repetitive, And the world all looks the same to me. It was the sort of game that left me cold, and I was sidetracked all too quickly by better games, I Just lost interest. The game seemed to lack depth and richness at its core .. . I am a great lover and completely absorbed by Bethesda and all manner of different games, but this time I was pulled in by the hype and was let down like a lead balloon. Some Nice graphics, and gimmicks but didn't float my boat. But go make your own mind up :) Expand
  59. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is not for the faint of heart or people looking for a walk in the park. It will challenge you. I liked the combat system, the music, and the atmosphere of the game a lot. The art and graphics were not so good. I thought that it needed a lot more polish.

The game's design is the result of a LOT of iteration and it really shows. The story was mediocre to boring plus it was incredibly linear, though I didn't really mind that too much. What really keeps you playing the game is the combat. It takes a lot of patience and planning to get through from room to room. This gives the game a feeling of length and it's something that makes it drag on just a bit too much. Overall it was a good game and I had fun playing it, but I played it over 6 months and logged some 24 hours into it, so hardly addictive or suspenseful to the point that I couldn't put it down. I usually beat games in a week to two weeks for reference.
  60. Aug 28, 2011
    It doesn't quite live up to the same epic level as the first game but this is one that any Deus Ex fan should enjoy. For the very beginning you get that great feeling again of the original. Through it's narrative, music, game play, and over all feel it's Deus Ex! I'd love to write a longer review but I gotta get back to playing this game!!!
  61. Aug 28, 2011
    Awesome game with a good story to it. The game played is pretty good and it turn out to be a great game. Go start Deus Ex: Human Revolution! I'm not going to tell you everything or else you won't know what I'm talking about.
  62. Sep 25, 2013
    Really can't understand why this game has so many 10 ratings. This game is just a dumbed-down version of the original Deus Ex. The agent skill, weapon skill, augmentation upgrade and weapon upgrade system in original game is much simplified and combined to a simple grow chart, ruining the fun of decision making in specialization with various possibilities.

The graphics is just of 2005

The graphics is just of 2005 standard with a yellow tone with no option to customize. (even the original in 2000 has option to customize that kind of thing) Even though the graphic is poor, the performance of the game is quite bad due to poor optimization for various cores of CPU in PC. Graphic glitches or stuttering is quite common among users with different specifications of PC.

The story is quite boring due to the linear plot, i.e. someone is bad, we need to find him or her. Later, oh he or she is also being used by others. Let's find the man behind them. Rinse and repeat until your boss fight. The poor voice acting really test players' patience via introducing frequent cut-scenes with various characters, with lengthy conversation without any real value to plot or info. This just serves as a social simulator to test player to pick a correct option to please the character so that you can get the info. you need. A good RPG game is not about lengthy conversation, it focuses more on building of character and world as well as plot development. However, those boring conversations do not help in this aspect.

The gameplay is also very boring like a hacking simulator to keep on playing the stupid mini-games to read emails, open door for your plot progress. Buildings look very similar as well, with same kind of locked door, wood door, windows, and vent. Level designs are linear and very poor, with nearly moving in vent is the only stealth way to move across level, excluding the strategy of hiding and taking cover in main corridor.

The stealth system is also stupid, playing cut-scene all the time when player switching cover, performing takedown from back, moving down ladder, causing frequent switch between first-person and third-person views. This is just too annoying for a FPS.

Health system and shooting system is also a dumbed-down version of original. Cross-hair is always accurate regardless of weapon proficiency, and the health management is also streamlined, further ruining the fun in strategy planning before surprise attack.

Overall, by discarding the special features in original Deus Ex, together with a boring story, this game simply become a game very similar to other streamlined games like Hitman Absolution or Splinter Cell Blacklist, but even they shine more on the game's own features.
  63. Aug 28, 2011
    Just finished playing and I have to say, yes! Absolutely brilliant! Game of the year - absolutely. I have been looking forward to this game since it was announced, and the last month or so waiting for it I've been going crazy, i was even dreaming about it! But all that time I had a nagging feeling that i would be disappointed. Disappointed that it would totally miss the point of the firstJust finished playing and I have to say, yes! Absolutely brilliant! Game of the year - absolutely. I have been looking forward to this game since it was announced, and the last month or so waiting for it I've been going crazy, i was even dreaming about it! But all that time I had a nagging feeling that i would be disappointed. Disappointed that it would totally miss the point of the first one and totally flop or even that it would just fall a little short of the mark and be an average game. Thankfully it hasn't let me down, in fact it has surprised me by how good it is. I never write reviews for games or movies but this deserves it! ..plus I saw some of the negative comments which annoyed me. Looking at the negative comments I couldn't agree with any of them, some of them were just plain crazy and some of them were people picking of things which are actually the way they are meant to be, or some very minor flaw like the odd animation quirk. This is not a COD/Battlefield run n gun game. It is, like the original Deus Ex, a game which is centred around the story. The story is by far the main element and the game is designed around telling that story. And this is why I give it a 10. The story is brilliant, the way its told is brilliant, the atmosphere - the sounds, colours, designs, music, is brilliant. The atmosphere really goes a long way to making it, it just pulls you in and makes you feel part of the story! The colours and designs are stunning...like the first time you walk into the Sarif building. And the music....oh the music, fantastic. It fits so perfect with the game. So i suppose in summing up; it's a smart, well thought out, well designed and well executed story that has all the elements to draw you in and keep you hooked right till the end and when it's over leaving you better for the experience but sorry that it's over. Expand
  64. Aug 28, 2011
    Amazing game, would recommend it to anyone, easily one of the best RPG's you will ever play. The game is so multilateral in how you can approach something its astounding, you can go through the entire game without killing/harming a single person via stealth if you so choose, or you can kill each and every single person, or anything you can think of in between.

The story is extremely

The story is extremely engrossing and the melding of stealth/hacking/shooting/augments/cover all into one make it great, it also has a reasonable large choice of guns and a huge selection of upgrades for all of them, as well as the augment differences making it have large replay ability due to the different ways to approach tasks.
  65. Aug 28, 2011
    Excellent game, I most definitely replaying this game again just like I did with the original Deus Ex 11 years ago. By the way, anyone who says that they got the idea for conversations/choices from Mass Effect are simply silly, and do not realize their ignorance. :D

This game just lives up to the first and even beats it in my book. It's everything I was wanting from a sequel.
  66. Aug 26, 2011
    Excellent atmosphere, Flawless soundtrack, and the fact that you discover something new every time you play through again makes this game a worthy contender to Game of The Year. This and Skyrim are going to be neck and neck for GOTY.
  67. Aug 28, 2011
    Great Game ! A must have game for a true gamer. there is alot of variation in it. the hacking (ingame mini-games) is a great thing. I like the plot alot ! maybe they should consider building a 'relation' mode in. where you can be friends/enemies with certain characters. but this is just all an extra idea !
  68. Aug 26, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an example of a game that gives you more pleasure hyping than actually playing it. Like many others I had high hopes for this game, and I admit that I even hyped it for some time ;) Sadly, Human Revolution lacks to furfill in it's sheer potential. Yes, the setting is great. Yes, adam has a badass voice and yes, it plays like a Deus Ex game. Than again it justDeus Ex: Human Revolution is an example of a game that gives you more pleasure hyping than actually playing it. Like many others I had high hopes for this game, and I admit that I even hyped it for some time ;) Sadly, Human Revolution lacks to furfill in it's sheer potential. Yes, the setting is great. Yes, adam has a badass voice and yes, it plays like a Deus Ex game. Than again it just never "feels" and "looks" right playing this game. It is like they had a great idea but didn't really knew how to work it out. Even though you have "several" ways to walktrough the levels it still feels like your undergoing a very lineair experience.
    You can hack doors and machines and clear levels without even touching a single enemy, which is, to be fair, quite cool. The shooting segment is mediocre at best.At first I liked the idea of the "gold art collor pallette" but after playing this game I can honestly say that I dislike the aesthetics of this game. While the character models and interiors are not "bad" perse it does look a bit dated. What IS actually very sloppy are the skylines/views which represent the city's. Horrible. Ofcourse graphics don't make or brake a game but it does "help" the immersion.And Immersion is what Deus Ex: HR lacks.
    ill give it a 8/10
  69. Aug 28, 2011
    Quite enjoyable, already starting my 2nd play-through. I really liked how choices mattered (mostly in conversations, but also in later events). As many have stated, feels like a good successor to the 1st game. On a side note, I do like how deeply philosophical the game becomes without being cheesy or forcing it on the player.
  70. Aug 30, 2011
    Excellent game! This is everything and more I could have hoped for. I'm about half way through and taking my time, lookiing in every corner. I'm playiing stealth and have not killed a single person (except the boss which you must). It's challenging and fun and makes you think through everything strategically which is what a great game should do -- you shouldn't be able to pick up anExcellent game! This is everything and more I could have hoped for. I'm about half way through and taking my time, lookiing in every corner. I'm playiing stealth and have not killed a single person (except the boss which you must). It's challenging and fun and makes you think through everything strategically which is what a great game should do -- you shouldn't be able to pick up an 'awesome' overpowered weapon and then hit the 'awesome key' to kill everything in sight. Thank you sooooo much Eidos for keeping the same feel and intensity as the original -- you have outdone yourself. To all the complainers (all 35 of you at the time of this review), perhaps you should upgrade your computers or lower your graphic settings, etc., as I've not had any problems with running this game with DX11. Expand
  71. Aug 29, 2011
    I had heard the hype about Deus Ex: HR, but truthfully wasn't interested. On a whim however, lacking anything to do, and being too lazy to drive to the store and purchase a new game, I ended-up purchasing it on Steam. It was worth every penny.

The game starts as a simplistic FPS set in an intriguing time and setting. After the first intro sequence, and the title credits rolled, I was hooked, and ran a marathon game session over the next two days that I had free from work.

The voice acting is entertaining. The story starts simple, and then develops into a large conspiracy. I had to keep playing to see what was next. One of the key places where the game shines is the ability to complete an objective through multiple means. Sneak into a location? Go in guns blazing? Combine the two? Possibly talk your way in. Its key to remember, that not all options are equally viable in all situations, something that I feel many players forget if they're "chosen" playstyle is the one which isn't catered to.

Having never been a fan of the original, I can't relate how "similar" the two feel. I will say that this game engrossed me, and was a welcome change from the military shooter glut found everywhere else nowadays. I'd also like to say that the dialogue system is probably the best currently available in the game, and has more depth than BioWare's recent offering in Dragon Age 2. My only hope is that BioWare is taking notes.

There are definitely flaws, but I feel that the game itself is greater than the sum of its parts. If you're interested in a story that's more than simply "shoot this, go here, rinse repeat", then definitely give the game a try. I won't say that everyone will like it. But if I was handing out awards, it would definitely be in the consideration for PC game of the year.
  72. Aug 29, 2011
    As close as you can get to matching the original which Eidos and Ion Storm threw at us in 2000. Classic one-liners, freedom of choice gameplay, beautiful visuals, incredible story and character development, and a vision of the year 2027 that brings to me an endless list of anticipations. If you are a fan of the masterpiece Deus Ex, then you will have no problems with the third installmentAs close as you can get to matching the original which Eidos and Ion Storm threw at us in 2000. Classic one-liners, freedom of choice gameplay, beautiful visuals, incredible story and character development, and a vision of the year 2027 that brings to me an endless list of anticipations. If you are a fan of the masterpiece Deus Ex, then you will have no problems with the third installment in the series and my personal candidate for Game of the Year- Deus Ex Human Revolution. Expand
  73. Aug 30, 2011
    This game was amazing. The original back for the xbox was easily my favourite game for that system and even back than that game could compete with some of trash put out these days.
    However Deus Ex Human Revolution was amazing from the gun-play to the stealth and close combat and even the mini game hacking and conversations have all been deeply entertaining.
    To top it off the entire time I

To top it off the entire time I played through this game all I could think is "I can't wait to do it all again but in a different way" I am now on my pacifist play through and simply can't wait to do a guns blazing play through right after!
  74. Aug 30, 2011
    After just completing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I have to say, this is one of the best games I have played in a long time. It was so easy for me to get completely lost in the brilliant cyber-punk world. With so many twists in the story, it was impossible not to be on the edge of my seat the entire time. From the crowded, neon-lit Hengsha island to the gritty Detroit City hub, theAfter just completing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I have to say, this is one of the best games I have played in a long time. It was so easy for me to get completely lost in the brilliant cyber-punk world. With so many twists in the story, it was impossible not to be on the edge of my seat the entire time. From the crowded, neon-lit Hengsha island to the gritty Detroit City hub, the stunning visuals make this world so tangible, the player feels like they are actually living every nail-biting second right next to the hero, Adam Jensen. Add to this mix, top notch writing and some of the best voice work I have ever heard in a game. This was a day 1 purchase for me, and I was not disappointed. This game turned out to be all I hoped it would be and more. Expand
  75. Sep 25, 2011
    The original Deus Ex provides a monumental standard from which to judge its predecessors; its towering example cannot be denied. While the gameplay experience of DX:HR cannot be denied - it kept me occupied for many more hours than most or all of its contemporaries - its depth and scope are deception. In DX, the developers created a universe so vast and nebulous that the player couldThe original Deus Ex provides a monumental standard from which to judge its predecessors; its towering example cannot be denied. While the gameplay experience of DX:HR cannot be denied - it kept me occupied for many more hours than most or all of its contemporaries - its depth and scope are deception. In DX, the developers created a universe so vast and nebulous that the player could affect his or her experience as brutally as he or she chose (I recall killing both Gunther and Anna as early as possible for jollies and being shocked at the reprecussions it ultimately had.) DX:HR makes you think your decisions are important, and then just ... leaves you cold. The player can run through with no regard for life or plot and see the same four endings, the same locations and dialog. No reward system exists. Besides that, the player can go the entire game mercifully instead of lethally and find no acknowledgement AT ALL. I didn't get the Steam achievement after all that sneaky effort, and I never carried a gun except during boss battles. Yes, reality lacks a reward system also. DX:HR is not reality. Is it entertaining? Yes. I am not rating a television show, however. I'm rating the (competent) sequel to possibly the greatest FPS/RPG ever. Entertainment without true depth is something that can be found in many, many games. The art direction, sound design, world construction - these are all brilliant. Many gamers will wet themselves in joy. I imagine this as some crippled Adonis, some sleeping and underrealized beauty. What should have been Dune is instead a Spider Robinson novel - masterful and timeless without being angry, without trying the observer. I deleted my local content after my chosen ending awarded me with its terrifying frustration. Expand
  76. May 20, 2012
    I find this game to be mediocre, I really tried to ''get into it'' but I have difficulty doing so. I'm at my 14th hour of playing the game, and I still find the plot kinda boring and bland. I wish it wasn't as predictable as it is. The quests are pretty straight forward. The graphics are also boring. The Stealth system is cool and easy to use, I guess this is what is keeping me in theI find this game to be mediocre, I really tried to ''get into it'' but I have difficulty doing so. I'm at my 14th hour of playing the game, and I still find the plot kinda boring and bland. I wish it wasn't as predictable as it is. The quests are pretty straight forward. The graphics are also boring. The Stealth system is cool and easy to use, I guess this is what is keeping me in the game. The concept is good, but the only thing memorable that I think I'm going to have of this game is the fact that I want to try the first of the series to see if it's better. I got to say tho, it's worth the 10$ I paid for it on Steam, and I'm glad I haven't paid more. Peace and Loooooove! Expand
  77. Sep 6, 2011
    I don't know if I wasn't in the right mood when playing but Human Revolution rubbed me the wrong way. The combat was incredibly generic, the AI seemed quite content with walking towards me while I was in cover, thus creating a sort of fish in a barrel situation. The part that irked me the most though was the RPG aspect. The response wheel from Mass Effect makes a return. I'm sorry, but I'mI don't know if I wasn't in the right mood when playing but Human Revolution rubbed me the wrong way. The combat was incredibly generic, the AI seemed quite content with walking towards me while I was in cover, thus creating a sort of fish in a barrel situation. The part that irked me the most though was the RPG aspect. The response wheel from Mass Effect makes a return. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of these wheels. They neither tell you exactly what you'll say nor are they sometimes even remotely close to what the text alludes to. There really needs to be a switch from "text" to "mood" of responses. Angry, Comforting, what have you. Just stop making these terrible dialogue wheels people. Expand
  78. Aug 31, 2011
    Great game, but not the second coming. Classic Deus Ex upgrades + multiple routes for different builds. Story and VO lacking, but the rest of the game is great.
  79. Sep 3, 2011
    Awesome story, dialogs, hacking system, diversity of augmentations, adequate amount of guns and gadgets... Every mission is unique and funny. The great thing is also gaining experience in finding secret passages and documents. The only thing I do not like are easy boss fights...
  80. Jul 22, 2012
    Disappointment here. Cliche story I guessed after 30min gameplay (before end of intro). Square enix bosses (ie. you either know the trick or you die helplessly). Also a nice shooter that requires a bit of strategy. Secret paths looking like obvious ones. Don't look for a "beyond good and evil" experience.
  81. Sep 25, 2011
    Why ruin a game with bad boss battles. Infuriating! I invested most on my points in stealth and hacking which worked great until I met the first boss. How the hell is this boss battle supposed to fit in with the rest of the game? Am I supposed to replay the game from the beginning and invest all my points in combat? This could have been a great game without it.
  82. Sep 3, 2011
    There will always be people who can't see past the "not so great" elements of a game, and let's face it, there are no games that have no "not so great" elements. This game is not a FPS and there will definitely be people who don't "get it", I don't mean that as an insult, it's just a personal preference. For me, I was a big fan of the 1st Deus Ex, I still rate it as my fav game ever (andThere will always be people who can't see past the "not so great" elements of a game, and let's face it, there are no games that have no "not so great" elements. This game is not a FPS and there will definitely be people who don't "get it", I don't mean that as an insult, it's just a personal preference. For me, I was a big fan of the 1st Deus Ex, I still rate it as my fav game ever (and it's not like that game didn't have some bugs and shoddy animations), this game is a worth successor, it just clicked for me, there is more then enough good and occasional excellent elements for the little bugs and the not so great animations to not matter. Expand
  83. Oct 18, 2011
    A good and worthy follow-up of Deus Ex, though the graphics are console level. The world is great, intriguing, funny and generelly well laid out. The only major let-down is, that this game over-emphasises hacking. W/o hacking, you are missing on a lot of the content.
    Basically, this is one of the better console ports. Deus Ex could have deserved better (a real PC game), but all in all, this one works fine. It was definitely a good decision to delay shipment of the game to fix it after the first bad reviews came in.
  84. Jul 8, 2012
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution follows in the foot steps of Deus Ex 1 with the addition a more passively-orientend skill system and much more fluent stealth gameplay through the use of a third-person cover system and insta-kill buttons. Unfortunately, in other areas it still feels highly dated. The graphics are definitely sub-par to the point where you'll find yourself wondering why they madeDeus Ex: Human Revolution follows in the foot steps of Deus Ex 1 with the addition a more passively-orientend skill system and much more fluent stealth gameplay through the use of a third-person cover system and insta-kill buttons. Unfortunately, in other areas it still feels highly dated. The graphics are definitely sub-par to the point where you'll find yourself wondering why they made the game as ugly as it is in certain places; for a game that's all about advanced technology, they certainly aren't utilizing any. The inventory management is very dated and confusing as items stack in odd manners and the game will auto-manage your inventory for you, causing it to shift content around to make other items fit. Another big issue with the game is the wooden acting and the lack of decisions to make. A large part of the game puts the player on rails with the occasional choice to make but none of this affects the outcome as you will literally be given buttons to press to choose the ending you think you want. (There are 4 endings as usual) Nothing of what you have done during the game will affect the outcome of the story nor will you ever hear back on what the result of your actions were. Regardless of these issues, there is a good variety of weapons available for the player to experiment with and most missions offers the player several ways of getting through. Some side-missions break from this sort of universal-compatability and might be unbeatable for players with certain builds which is unfortunate as there's nothing more frustrating than freedom being promised but not delivered. I played the game on the highest difficulty right from the get-go and I found that although the game isn't very difficult and the AI not very smart, they tend to be highly accurate when you are not making use of the third-person cover system and less accurate when you do. This kind of artificially induced difficulty is unwanted in first-person shooters and is obviously console-inspired. It's very difficult to aim from cover with weapons that do not come with laser sights which means you may die a lot while attempting to zero in on an enemy. On the subject of the AI not being very bright; this game is extremely forgiving when it comes to making mistakes. Most of the time you can simply hide somewhere and the guards will give up looking for you, even if you just mowed down half the staff, they'll just resume patrol. Needless to say this does not help make the game more realistic. I found the story to be interesting albeit somewhat unengaging and sometimes difficult to follow. The latter could be due to me sometimes losing interest in listening to the one-dimensional characters and the silly conversational mini-games that rather than allowing you to put your mark on conversations, forces you to "solve the riddle" when it comes to talking to people. Apparently, Adam Jensen is more of a smooth-talker than your average politician. Last but not least, everyone's biggest gripe with the game: The boss fights. They'd be at home in any FPS game but Deus Ex. Even the developers regret putting them in! All I can do is recommend that you take either the heavy machine-gun or the pre-order grenade launcher whenever you expect a boss fight; should end the fight within a few minutes no matter the difficulty. Assuming you can stay alive, that is. The game does not feature really feature healing items but requires you to patiently wait while the health (quickly) regenerates. Expand
  85. Sep 1, 2011
    I've been playing this game extensively since they leaked the preview build 3 months ago and I must say that first experience is what convinced me to purchase the full product. My first complete playthrough has clocked 32 hours according to Steam (and by no means was I fully exploring everything possible) and I certainly feel my money has been well spent as opposed to the frequent 6 hourI've been playing this game extensively since they leaked the preview build 3 months ago and I must say that first experience is what convinced me to purchase the full product. My first complete playthrough has clocked 32 hours according to Steam (and by no means was I fully exploring everything possible) and I certainly feel my money has been well spent as opposed to the frequent 6 hour FPS rehashes released. First and foremost, the style and artwork in the game is simply breathtaking. There were times when I would simply stare out into the beautiful vistas they have created in this game in awe. The only other game I can recall with such exemplary scenery in recent years is Mirror's Edge, and i couldn't help but feel inspired. The overall atmosphere is similarly superlative with Michael McCann's brilliant score which fits the cyberpunk theme perfectly, though I will say it is not a patch on the great music from the first Deus Ex. The pacing in 'Human Revolution' is also impressive; just when I wanted more story, I was given the next twist in the tale; just when I wanted more combat, fifteen enemies burst into the room warranting a quick decision over how they could be dispatched. There were several instances where I felt I was actually required to use my brain as opposed to many other games as of late in considering just how I would deal with enemies in the easiest way. Similarly, I felt the inventory system was an apt inclusion, forcing you to consider exactly what equipment you would likely need for the next encounter. The 'persuasion' conversations throughout the game also required me to take a step back and consider just which response would convince a character to see things my way, and felt like I was actually having an impact on the game world. There are multiple paths to achieve each objective, and there is usually an alternative route to avoid any danger. Because of this I had alot of fun exploring the city hubs in the game, as much fun as I did exploring Hong Kong in Deus Ex 1. You can pay a hobo 1000 credits for information on an armoury code, only to find it later after hacking into someone's email, thus exploration is definitely encouraged. Mentioning graphics, I was playing on maximum settings with a GTX 570 and the framerate was consistently high (It also played well in DX9 on a 4870 and a Core 2 Duo). However, the game did crash far more frequently than I would have liked, especially during the 2nd city hub, though i'm sure this will be fixed in a future patch. The textures were impressive on maximum settings, though the character models looked quite plasticy. One minor irritation is that the animations of the characters' faces seem to 'twitch' and it's very distracting (and unrealistic). Other minor niggles are the console-ish feel of the mouse scrolling which is far worse in Invisible War, but not present on FPS games that are made primarily for the PC. The enemy AI is definitely not the best, though I can't think of any games where it's noticeably improved. Enemies would sometimes spot me from the other side of a large room, despite being crouched behind an object, and other times you can takeout an enemy right in front of another without them batting an eyelid. The major disappointment for me, however (and the reason I won't give the game a 10) was the endings (though the REAL ending did atone for this slightly). I would much have preferred an insight into what effect my choice had on the world in the immediate future, and I was severely disappointed that this was not included. Regardless of this flaw, this is by far the best game I have played this year, and unless anything is subsequently released which is notably better (which I sincerely doubt as it would have to be an OUTSTANDING game), this will be my GOTY. Expand
  86. Sep 1, 2011
    Personally, I absolutely liked the overall feeling and mechanics of the game. It is definitely worthy of the Deus Ex label, and I would even consider nominating it as my personal game of the year.
  87. Sep 1, 2011
    Quite frankly this game is a unpolished jewel. I enjoyed this game a lot but there are several story and gameplay problems which hindered the fun. The implementation of the boss fights was unnecessary. I dont have the slightest idea why the developers thought that this would be adding any fun to the game. The second major problem is the story. Most of it doesnt seem reasonable and thereQuite frankly this game is a unpolished jewel. I enjoyed this game a lot but there are several story and gameplay problems which hindered the fun. The implementation of the boss fights was unnecessary. I dont have the slightest idea why the developers thought that this would be adding any fun to the game. The second major problem is the story. Most of it doesnt seem reasonable and there are some holes left behind. Expand
  88. Sep 4, 2011
    Deus Ex : Human Revolution is the best game I've played for many years.
    The story is never boring and you really do have very different and multiple ways to complete each missions.
  89. Sep 25, 2011
    Deus Ex is a great game. Great story, fun weapons and fairly open game play. Couple of reasons it is not 10 game. There is a gimmicky promotion of vent living for stealth and defeating enemies. Enemies are vent shy, never pursuing you into them, and never figuring out to throw a grenade in. Also, there are unusual and frustrating boss battles that seem as much pulled from an arcade actionDeus Ex is a great game. Great story, fun weapons and fairly open game play. Couple of reasons it is not 10 game. There is a gimmicky promotion of vent living for stealth and defeating enemies. Enemies are vent shy, never pursuing you into them, and never figuring out to throw a grenade in. Also, there are unusual and frustrating boss battles that seem as much pulled from an arcade action game rather than a tactical game. Expand
  90. Dec 30, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. The variation of weapons and side quests. Running from point a to point b got a little irritating for quests but with an amazing soundtrack and a gripping story line I had a hard time putting it down. I found the last boss fight to be far too easy compared to the others, but otherwise overall challenging (depending on the difficulty setting you choose.) I amI really enjoyed this game. The variation of weapons and side quests. Running from point a to point b got a little irritating for quests but with an amazing soundtrack and a gripping story line I had a hard time putting it down. I found the last boss fight to be far too easy compared to the others, but otherwise overall challenging (depending on the difficulty setting you choose.) I am also happy you can pass through this whole game without killing anyone (except the bosses of course.)

Overall a game I will be replaying soon enough!
  91. Dec 6, 2011
    Ever game has a color about it. Saints row is purple, Brink is light blue, Deus Ex is yellow. Also its a very unique shooter greatly using cover, stealth, hacking, and overall strategy. Or you can set it to easy mode and just play it like a more standard game which I ended up doing, cuz I was really bad at it lol 8/10
  92. Apr 19, 2012
    A very good game with some potential apart from the original Deus Ex. I like the new mixed hybrid gameplay, the soundtrack and the story plot. But the biggest drawbacks of the game: the graphics are on par with any recent Call of Duty game despite the high system requirements, the ending was decent, the boss fights were not challenging enough, the music is not in HD quality and the videoA very good game with some potential apart from the original Deus Ex. I like the new mixed hybrid gameplay, the soundtrack and the story plot. But the biggest drawbacks of the game: the graphics are on par with any recent Call of Duty game despite the high system requirements, the ending was decent, the boss fights were not challenging enough, the music is not in HD quality and the video cinematics are not in HD. Its only DLC, the Missing Link, should have been free to download as a expansion patch. Expand
  93. Jun 27, 2014
    Wow, what a game. Better plot/story than 95% of sci-fi movies. SCORE 92/100.

Gripping and realistic story to the end, extremely immersive gameplay and RPG progression. MANY different ways to complete each micro and macro objective, from true ghost to stealthy assassin to rambo. The game rewards exploration and different styles well. You will forget many movies and TV shows years from
    Wow, what a game. Better plot/story than 95% of sci-fi movies. SCORE 92/100.

You will forget many movies and TV shows years from now, but you won't forget the story here, especially if much of it becomes true.
  94. Sep 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. PC gamers must get used to this fact: many of the big studio releases for their (and my) favoured medium are being principally developed on consoles, with console gamers in mind. Most of the attacks on this game acknowledge that fact, but resent it. There is a perception that a PC game should mean complexity and depth, whereas a console game should be accessible and shallow. Whatever the truth of these perceptions, Deus Ex: Human Revolutions is a game which has been developed for a console which stands up happily on the PC and is one of the more enjoyable PC games of this year. It is billed as an RPG-shooter. The RPG elements are located as sensibly as any leveling up system can possibly be inside the story. Jensen, following his operation, has all his augmentations intact, but he's brought out of recovery early. His body and nervous system aren't used to their newfound, mechanically-enhanced talents. Therefore, he needs Praxis software - earned through the accumulation of experience, i.e. use of his new body, to unlock the higher level abilities. Well, it's a stretch, but it's a brave attempt by the game's writers to impose a story on the notion of levelling up, something which RPG enthusiasts have taken for granted since the first tentative forays of pen-and-paper, kitchen table games onto the home computer in the eighties. Personally, I approve. Speaking of the difference between pen-and-paper, kitchen table RPGs and their electronic successors, DE:HR offers the player a decent amount of choice for the type of game it is. A pen-and-paper session over pizzas and beer is limited only by the rules of the game and the tolerance of one's fellow gamers. Not so on a computer game. All choices must be limited by necessity. The story of DE:HR implies that the action happens within the space of a few days; by necessity, it is tightly plotted. But within that, there are multiple ways to execute each mission. There are different physical routes to each objective. There are a good range of weapons to support a given player style and a sensible, intuitive inventory system. There are approaches ranging from a Terminator-style shoot-out in a Detroit nick, through persuading your way in, to sneaking in undetected. Yes, of course real people don't really patrol like DE:HR's guards do, but we are somewhat limited by the technology available to us in 2012 and no game has yet achieved a perfect patrolman. DE:HR's guards move naturally enough to keep up the illusion of reality, and even chat to each other on occasion.

it No 21st-century shooter would be complete without a cover mechanic, but it works nicely within the confines of the game. The game awards points for merciful take-downs over straightforward kills; and awards end-of-level points for remaining undetected, in order to encourage different styles of play. On the topic of rewarding, the dialogue system invites comparisons with Bioware's and tops it without question. The dialogue options accurately foreshadow both the temperament and content of Jensen's potential answers, unlike Bioware's wretched wheel. Rather than a straight choice between flippant, aggressive and passive, one must watch the tone and personality of the NPC to get the best out of the conversation. With the right augmentation, one can release pheromones to increase diaglogue options. It's just a shame that more conversations don't follow this path: a goodly number are, in essence, cuscenes, which is somewhat frustrating, given the potential shown in the interactive dialogues.

Of course, it's not all roses. Entertaining as the manual takedown animations are, they don't always gel with the preceding action and the dissonance can grate. There are four mandatory boss-fights in the game, which are an unwelcome encumbrance (and a nod to DE:HR's console roots!) and force even the sneakiest of players to play, temporarily, in an aggressive style (vive le Typhoon). Also unwieldy, in a narrative sense, are the sidequests: enjoyable as they are, they do feel forcibly levered into the time-conscious plot. Finally, the corporate-espionage-with-a-moral-dimension plot all takes a turn for the Dan Brown towards the end, invoking ancient conspiracies and giant machines we've all seen a hundred times in other games, books and films, which is something of a let down. The ending montages, particularly, are annoyingly bland and a good deal of loose ends are not tied up (DLC, anyone?)

But on the whole, DE:HR is a good game. The plot is on a par with any B-movie or airport thriller novel; the action's decent; there is enough freedom of choice to keep most RPG fans satisfied (if one recognises that this is not trying to be D&D on your PC); the dialogue system is a real hit; and the game has a sense of humour (Robocop fans will encounter a policeman named Murphy without a sense of dramatic irony; Megadeth fans a certain hangar...). Give it a go.
  95. Sep 6, 2011
    First game I have played in years that I can't put down. It's Deus Ex 1 all over again. All the dissenters on here can stick to playing CoD or some other arcade shooter as they seem to just not get this game. It's everything good about Deus Ex made better, including combat, stealth, and most importantly your choices really do feel like they make an impact on the story. My onlyFirst game I have played in years that I can't put down. It's Deus Ex 1 all over again. All the dissenters on here can stick to playing CoD or some other arcade shooter as they seem to just not get this game. It's everything good about Deus Ex made better, including combat, stealth, and most importantly your choices really do feel like they make an impact on the story. My only complaints:
    1. Environments are way too static. It's 2011 and desk items aren't getting thrown around in a firefight? If I shoot a stack of paper it gets a bullet hole? The coffee cup is still on the table after a grenade went off? The environments the designers made are very well done, and highly explorable, but seriously, there should be more interaction. Cracks on the walls that you can blow up? Really? Is this Zelda or something?

2. No battery recharge robots...I like how your augs don't last very long in this one, as well as the fact that its hard to take down more than 1 or 2 guys with the instant kill function. However a few more recharge stations here or there would make it more fun.

3. Realistic mode is a bit unbalanced. I always played Deus Ex on Realistic. I liked how you and the enemies had the same health. This is not the case in HR; it still takes 5,7 sometimes 10 body shots to kill a guy. Granted a headshot is an instant kill, If I plug a guy in the chest, that should take him down too. I'm sure this could be fixed in a mod.

Everything else in the game is perfect!
  96. Nov 8, 2011
    Game of the year for me. Easily.

I was hesitant at first, as I was a big fan of the original, having played it countless times. Would they mess up the core gameplay? Would third person be a welcome experience or not? Would the implementation of cover be helpful or harmful? All of my doubts were put to rest after I played it. Human Revolution is a fantastic game, and nearly as brilliant
    Game of the year for me. Easily.

All of my doubts were put to rest after I played it. Human Revolution is a fantastic game, and nearly as brilliant as the legendary original. The numerous paths to completing an objective are still there, the choice between lethal and non-lethal or stealth and guns blazing is still there. The hubs feel fantastic, the atmosphere is gripping and the artstyle is visually appealing. The upgrade system allows for many different playstyles and perhaps even warrants a replay or two. Instead of going on and on about how great the game is, I am going to highlight what I thought was wrong with it. For one, the music isn't as great as the original. Sure, there are some pieces that are fantastic, but these only play during cutscenes. The ambient music, the battle music and everything else just feels generic. After expecting something fantastic, akin to the amazing OST of the original, I was somewhat disappointed. Sure it's better than a lot of other game OSTs but I felt let down.

Then my major gripe: The boss fights. They are unavoidable, and cater only to people who have specced into combat augs, people who have been carrying around numerous guns, grenades and ammo types. As I was playing a non-lethal stealth playthrough I only had my tranquiliser rifle and my stun gun to defeat the bosses. It was tedious and resulted in many deaths.

Amazing game despite the flaws, easily GOTY, pick up a copy if you liked the original, like anything cyberpunk (especially Bladerunner), like stealth games or like good games.
  97. MB_
    Sep 27, 2011
    Just finished it. The best sneaking shooter game I've played since Thief 2 as far as I'm concerned. Sadly there's no shadows to hide within but I still had plenty of fun sneaking my way through a very convincing science fiction world. It has an interesting story and the varied missions kept me busy. Plenty to do and it had an easy learning curve too. Really nothing to moan about. Oh exceptJust finished it. The best sneaking shooter game I've played since Thief 2 as far as I'm concerned. Sadly there's no shadows to hide within but I still had plenty of fun sneaking my way through a very convincing science fiction world. It has an interesting story and the varied missions kept me busy. Plenty to do and it had an easy learning curve too. Really nothing to moan about. Oh except the cover, which I never used, oh and the 3rd person sequences which broke the 4th wall too often, I'm only climbing up a ladder stop reminding me I'm playing a game damnit. Perfect 10 without that! Expand
  98. Jun 29, 2012
    Deus Ex HR is made for stealth and exploration. Plain and simple. Enemy A.I. is too dull for firefights, and exploration is what rewards you most (in terms of gaming pleasure). Thus if you like shooters, don't mess with this game. But if you are looking for a more stealth/RPG/intelligent experience, this game is pure awesomeness. The environments are wide and detailed, with lots ofDeus Ex HR is made for stealth and exploration. Plain and simple. Enemy A.I. is too dull for firefights, and exploration is what rewards you most (in terms of gaming pleasure). Thus if you like shooters, don't mess with this game. But if you are looking for a more stealth/RPG/intelligent experience, this game is pure awesomeness. The environments are wide and detailed, with lots of alternate routes and hidden stuff to find. The places you visit are very different from each other, and the cities are a thing of beauty, inspired by the crowded streets and architectures of Blade Runner (as the first Deus Ex was). Story is mesmerizing and well told, and the same goes for side-quests. While playing, you really feel that there is a load of possibilities to reach a goal, to sneak around some guards, to decide the turn of the story. The way augments (the cybernetic "superpowers" you develop with experience) work is perfect. You decide which ones to grow, and you never feel like you're getting those experience points too slowly or too quickly. And it's very fascinating to go back to already-visited areas, but with the newly-gained ability to jump higher, or to fall without being hurt, and thus discover new locations. Best sci-fi game I played in a long time. If you're a completist like me, it will last for dozens of hours. I even preferred it to Mass Effect 2, both for the environments than for the additional freedom. Only reason I don't give it a 10 is because of boss fights - hard and out of contest, for a game that is best played in stealth mode - and because the ending sucks: Eidos clearly wanted to trace the first Deus Ex steps, and go for a "strong" ending, but instead it just looks illogical and dumb. Expand
  99. May 10, 2012
    Downright excellent game. The story is well done, the music is brilliant and the hacking mini-game is quite fun once you get used to it. For the longest time I wanted a game that revolved around stealth and not mindless run-and-gun tactics, and this game delivered that in arguably the best way possible. The graphics and controls are a bit iffy in some areas, but are still good nonetheless.Downright excellent game. The story is well done, the music is brilliant and the hacking mini-game is quite fun once you get used to it. For the longest time I wanted a game that revolved around stealth and not mindless run-and-gun tactics, and this game delivered that in arguably the best way possible. The graphics and controls are a bit iffy in some areas, but are still good nonetheless. The performance of the game was initially bad for my PC at first, and I have an extremely high-end PC, but I found some quick fixes and won't incorporate that into my rating, because I think it's fair to focus on just the game on not something that probably happened just because of *my* PC, and not the game itself. If any employee of any company that helped make this game is reading this, feel good. Feel real good. Expand
  100. Oct 4, 2011
    Ok. This is a game of a rare type. One of those which i actually bother to finish. Story - good. Soundtrack - good. Missions - good. Extended dialogues for major events - great. Side missions that make sense - good. Visuals are ok, except, maybe, blurry textures here and there, crappy models for humans(all polygons for faces!) and terrible FaceFX animation - so-so. But there are two thingsOk. This is a game of a rare type. One of those which i actually bother to finish. Story - good. Soundtrack - good. Missions - good. Extended dialogues for major events - great. Side missions that make sense - good. Visuals are ok, except, maybe, blurry textures here and there, crappy models for humans(all polygons for faces!) and terrible FaceFX animation - so-so. But there are two things in thos game that are horrible:
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

1. Bosses. Come on, stupid boss-making outsources. I havent heard of you and i hope i never will. Boss One - big guy with machine gun. And its bad idea to get close to him. It looks like... like every bloody first boss in every bloody FPS. Oh HELL, noone told this guys its a stealth action game? Took me 15 minutes and some chill pills.
    Boss Two - sneaky girl with machine guns... Borderlands much, **** My hamster is more creative. 10 minuts and no pills, she is just stupid.
    Boss Three - thats it. Someone casted mass stupidity on them all. Confined space, grenade volleys and(ta-daaaaa) you cant see **** Why? because your augs are not **** working. Not only that - all your screen goes to hell, literally. Its filled with rubbish, explosions and the guy is INVISIBLE from time to time. That whas the place when i said **** you" and used the trainer to give myself unlimited health. And you know what? 7 minutes of my life wasted while i was trying to actually HIT the guy. 4 mags from fully upgraded assault rifle... I have some chill pills left for those, who try to kill him on consoles. I feel your pain, guys and gals.
    Last Boss - you should see that piece of **** yerself. Com **** on. When that stupid b.. almost fried her biochip i thought - GREAT. For once evil girl gets what she deserves and i can just go and finish the game. But some tard said - we need last boss. Fire that dumbass, we dont. We had a game that was satisfactory in all ways, except your stupid bosses. This one is no better - its boring, stupid and you should watch Minority Report less. And not be so obsessed with blindfolded broads all the time. "Its Bull****, and its bad for ya." (c)

2. Panchea. Total inconsistency. Why all those half-brained maniacs killed everybody.... except each bloody other? To be a challenge for oh-so-mighty Adam? Screw you again. Thats idiocy. Why they get alarmed at you presence? They are totally INSANE. They should behave like totally insane. They behave like regular soldiers. I went thru this crap once and thats it. Next time its cheated energy + invis + no sound augs. TY, i'm not doing this again. Not satisfactory.
  101. Sep 16, 2011
    If you like "rpgs" that tell a good story then this game delivers. The plot and the environment were very good. Graphics, sound and gameplay were decent. I have to admit at the beginning this game seemed WAY too easy. The main flaws in this game are the ease at which you can avoid the enemy by hiding behind a box (even though the guy is right beside you) and the combat (it's too easyIf you like "rpgs" that tell a good story then this game delivers. The plot and the environment were very good. Graphics, sound and gameplay were decent. I have to admit at the beginning this game seemed WAY too easy. The main flaws in this game are the ease at which you can avoid the enemy by hiding behind a box (even though the guy is right beside you) and the combat (it's too easy to run and hide without having the enemy chase you).

However as you progress further and further the story and missions tend to make up for a lot of the easy combat. This game is NOT a perfect 10 and although some of the negative reviews have valid points this game doesn't deserve a negative score either. I think a lot of people got so hyped up at seeing the trailers that they might have been expecting a little too much out of this game..

There are only a few games this year we suggest to 16-yrs old gamers and their fathers together. Human Revolution for sure is a Game of the Year nominee. [Oct 2011]
    So despite the odds being stacked against it, Eidos Montreal accomplished the impossible and brought us a Deus Ex in the true sense of the word, probably the best one that we could have hoped for considering the current "requirements" for being commercially successful nowadays.
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    A worthy successor to one of the greatest games ever. It offers a lot of choice on many levels and feels like an RPG from years past - in a very good way. One of the best, if not the best game of 2011. [Oct 2011]