Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition PC

8.2

1. T.Haroldson
    Aug 17, 2006
    This game was obviously thrown straight over to the PC without even testing before it was sent out to the factory. Unplayable, poor graphics on a monitor, and just an abysmal game. I'm sure it would be better on the PS2 which is what it should have stayed on.
  2. MaxF.
    Jul 27, 2006
    This is probably an awesome game on the PS2, but the PC version is abysmal. Everything about it screams 3 interns were given a week to hammer out a working port.
  3. MattD.
    Jun 18, 2007
    This game has the most amount of bugs i've ever seen; and at 1680x1050 it looks so bad it makes your eyes bleed. As for the controls don't even get me started i feel betrayed.
  4. Feb 29, 2012
    This game is literally the worst port I have ever seen. No graphics tweaks/improvements to take advantage of PC technology, completely unplayable with mouse and keyboard, absolutely no assistance with what-button-does-what when using a gamepad, no programmed way to exit the game (gotta hit Alt-F5? Seriously???), graphically buggy, clunkily difficult to navigate interface, zero newThis game is literally the worst port I have ever seen. No graphics tweaks/improvements to take advantage of PC technology, completely unplayable with mouse and keyboard, absolutely no assistance with what-button-does-what when using a gamepad, no programmed way to exit the game (gotta hit Alt-F5? Seriously???), graphically buggy, clunkily difficult to navigate interface, zero new features (why's it called "Special Edition, exactly?) and visually ugly, ugly, UGLY! The accusation made by many that this game was probably ported to PC by a few interns over a weekend is not just an attempt at humor... it's very likely true! Everything about DMC3SE is a pitch-perfect lesson on how NOT to port a title. HOWEVER... If you can get the game to run and deal with the disgraceful learning curve, there is a stupendously fun action game to be had here. I had oodles of fun battling demons and listening to Dante's big-headed banter. The writing and voice acting is about what you'd expect from a Japanese title... or perhaps slightly better than normal. If I had played this on PS2, I would've given it a solid 7 or maybe even an 8, but I'm forced to review this title as-is... which is to say a fun game inside of an abysmally atrocious port. For shame, Capcom! Expand
  5. TomA.M.
    Jun 15, 2007
    What? It feels like playing a burned PS2 game, on a lame emulator. I never figured out the controls, and on top of that, the graphics sucks. Good Lord, how are they planning on selling this sh.t.. But I will admit it Dante's pistols made the game better.
  6. PresidentBob
    Jun 17, 2007
    Crap. utterly crap. dont even bother buying this: instead, go buy it for the Playstation 2. anyone whose given this higher than a 4 obviously hasnt played the PS2 version, or is a DMC fanboy. or is just obsessed that Dante can look cool. do yourself a favor. buy this where it belongs. the PS2. {side note. the controls are about as responsive as roadkill.}
  7. Nov 3, 2011
    So I wasted my money on this game that was clearly ported for the sake of wasting peoples time. Anyone that actually gave this game a rating >1 needs to go out and try it on the PS2, that was a good release of this game. I have never seen a game ported so poorly.

The graphics weren't enhanced to work on > 4:3 resolutions, the controls weren't ported over at all, and if you are using a controller that isn't 5 years old, have fun getting it to work at all without losing a large portion of your sanity.

I gave it a 1 because I remembered what it was like on the PS2. I should have just decided to play it on that instead of wasting my time and money with this clearly poor port.
  8. Jan 18, 2013
    DMC3 is one of the best action games ever but somehow Capcom ruined it for the PC and made one of the worst ports possible. This version is a direct 1:1 port of the console version and is impossible to play. I have tried every gamepad config option through both the game's choices and MotioninJoy's emulated controllers and none of them work properly. Either the buttons refuse to map inDMC3 is one of the best action games ever but somehow Capcom ruined it for the PC and made one of the worst ports possible. This version is a direct 1:1 port of the console version and is impossible to play. I have tried every gamepad config option through both the game's choices and MotioninJoy's emulated controllers and none of them work properly. Either the buttons refuse to map in game, axis' are reversed/swapped, or the controller just isn't reconized. I have a PS3 controller and it works with every other gamepad game I've played before. Yes, keyboard controls are technically possible but ridiculously cumbersome considering the control scheme.

Even if my gamepad worked, the game starts off windowed and max rez on my 1920x1080 monitor is 1280x960, with all other options being 4:3 and no widescreen support. All cutscenes are heavily compressed and look significantly worse than the console versions. Actual gameplay looks better but considering that I can't play it kind of ruins the experience.

Pick this up on PS2 or use an emu instead because this is unplayable. I love this game on PS2 but because it's so unplayable on PC I'm giving it a 0.
  9. MarcusV.
    Jul 16, 2007
    This game set 2 new personal records with me: I've never uninstalled a game before even applying the most recent patch until now, and I've never thrown any of my original game discs away until now. Absolute trash.
  10. AleksanderS.
    Jan 21, 2008
    This game is useless! I am sure it's great on the PS2 but this port is just fucking useless! Don't buy this crap for your PC!

1. games(TM)
    There’s more new content than you’d usually find in a Special Edition. [May 2006, p.128]
  2. PC Format
    Just don't blame us for the clumsy controls, dodgy camera angles and ultra-frustrating gameplay. [Sept 2006, p.104]
  3. PC Zone UK
    DMC3 has a few conversion issues - low-res textures and fiddly joypad setting-up - and lack of quicksaves can be infuriating when you have to begin a boss battle all over again, but overall it's infernal fun. [Oct 2006, p.78]