3.9

1. May 15, 2012
    Always-online required is a joke for such a game. Why do I need constant internet connection to play through a signal campaign ? Especially when the servers are always overloaded and wouldn't let you log in.
    This is such a terrible experience. Unless Blizzard provides an off-line patch. This game deserve 1/10 from me.
  2. May 15, 2012
    Casual d3 lags simpe gameplay errors bugs .... u want still buy ? Only online for hack and slash Ð
  3. May 15, 2012
    Pre-purchaces the game for 60 euro only forr look for main screen for a whole day. Bunch of errors prevent me for playing the game. So bad servers and support that i hardly believe it.
  4. May 15, 2012
    If I can't play the game I can't rate it... Blizzard should at least have a single off-line mode. I am going to get a crack for the game now so I can at least see what the characters look like in game. Thanks Blizzard for spoiling your own game.
  5. May 15, 2012
    Sure would be awesome to PLAY the game I paid for. This is the worst game launch, ever. Seriously, in 3123 they will talk about how atrocious the launch of diablo3 was. I would love to play and review the game for you... but I can't.
  6. May 15, 2012
    Great idea, great game play if you can get on...but you cant. And if you cant, you cant play. Blizzards idea to release this for every time zone at the same time on top of requiring you to be on has complete botched the release and put a horrible taste in peoples mouths. Wait to buy until problems are fixed.
  7. May 15, 2012
    The graphics are pretty, not great, but effective. The hardware reqs. are easy on the pocket book, shouldn't need a whole new rig to play. Game play, the 20 minutes i was able to play, were fun, not a far stretch from 2. So why the low score...you have to log into Battle.net to play a single player, and after 5 hours with product, 4 have been spent waiting for server maintenance. Blizz should have known better, and prepared way better Expand
  8. May 15, 2012
    Very fun game. Once I got rare drop: 3 pages of "License Agreement". But I can't beat final boss "Retrieving hero list" at all. Any suggestions anyone?
  9. May 15, 2012
    I haven't had any connectivity issues so that is good. But the actual gameplay is so boring, graphics looks like it was from 2005. The game is basically about mindlessly walking a linear path and spamming the mouse button to kill enemies. Avoid.
  10. May 16, 2012
    maybe it's a great game, but I spend 60â
  11. May 16, 2012
    Got the game on launch day put it in to install andâ
  12. May 16, 2012
    fun, but not good enough. i loved diablo 1 + 2. this game does not feel like its actually part of the diablo series. it feels like a dumbed down hack and slash. left click the whole time, drink a potion here or there...not enough skill is involved. when (if) you die, you just respawn at the last "checkpoint" with all of your gear, so it doesn't feel like a challenge. the game lacks the great art direction and music that diablo 1 + 2 had. the whole feel of the game is cartoony is cheesy. terrible voice acting, crappy cinematics that look like sketches on coffee stained paper...
    ill keep playing it for a little bit out of boredom, and to see how the story ends. but seriously, this isn't diablo. this is some crap made by people who had NOTHING to do with the original diablo games. they're just in it for the money. why else would they KILL DECARD CAIN?
  13. May 16, 2012
    This is not Diablo2. This is much worse.
    There is no hardcore like in D2. Cartoon design make me laugh through tears.
    No customization in skillz and attributes
    Maybe this game is for new generation, but i guess not for me
  14. May 17, 2012
    Its not the expected loot fest because of the way they are now handling stats and there is so much gold laying around its easy to pick up something in the AH that will outshine the loot drops for hours. There is also the fact that it is a single player game suffering from disconnections...it beggers belief.
  15. May 17, 2012
    Seems more like Diablo 2.5 then a new game. Graphics aren't all that great (they seem very muted to me - no contrast) and the game play is mostly the same as Diablo 2. Not sure why this took 10 years to come out.
  16. May 17, 2012
    I have reservations about this game. The complaints on here about servers have nothing to do with the actual game content. There are moments in this game that are great and some not so great. I find myself often getting caught up in the old hacking and looting days of Diablo and Diablo II...Every once in a while though it tends to fill contrived. A lot of the same complaints people made about Diablo II are still being made. People don't like change and they don't like it when you change their favorites. This is basically a no win situation for Diablo III for some gamers. I like it, but I am not fooling myself. Diablo succumbed to the same vice as so many franchises, artists and musicians..imitation..It became a product. Expand
  17. May 18, 2012
    The game overall is great, amazing story, intresting spells...ext. normal mode felt a bit casual but the difficulty increases significantly in nightmare, hell and inferno difficultys. The auction house is a nice touch and the ability to use real money if you want is a great way to eleminate gold and item sellers. The graphics are nice and not to demanding, boss fights are fun and difficult. Overall just a great game. Although there are sone bugs (to be expected with a 3day old game) and some balance issues. Its still one if not the best game i have played in 2012. Expand
  18. May 18, 2012
    I was never a huge fan of the Diablo series. I was usually bored of the click-fest by Act 2. I loved the loot and the character development was not bad if not a tad simple. Replay value was poor due to repetitiveness. Diablo 3 is more-of-the-same. The graphics and animation seem dated. The story-line is sub standard in my opinion but hey we can't all be Bioware. They have removed character development, no, automated it. The loot and crafting is as awesome as expected. If you are a fan of repetitive hack and slash for slot machine loot then this game will exceed your expectations as it trims down anything that might get in the way of that goal. I am glad I let my kids buy it first before I wasted $60.

NB - Get used to DRM and launch day server issues they are a part of the gamer's life now.
  19. Jul 6, 2012
    Well, i have gave it 9 score b4. but now i gonna change my mind after i play a month, bcos i think it was too early to judge the game with DRM. I was giving 1 score bcos the game is still good playing, but ofcos without RMAH. This game, what do i say? IS SUCKS, TOTALLY SUCKS, with RMAH exist. All action blizz has done, like cancel the customization, make the game ridiculous hard, unavoidable monster skill, nerfing drop rate, and even high up the repair cost, its intend is just base aroung the RMAH, what a disgusting ideal ! This game is A TRAP, u will realize when u complete hell mode, 1st of all, they make the normal mode ridiculous easy, and then nightmare not too hard, when u enter hell, u will realize that your won farmed gear cannot survive, so 1st u gonna go to GAH, then u succeed in hell mode, then after u step in inferno mode, all your gear will bcome useless again, and this game not allow u to use any tactic or skill to win the monster, just bcos most of thier attack or skill is unavoidable! u cant pass inferno without good gear, and now u face the fxxing price in GAH, what u do now? only the RMAH is your only savior ! THIS, IS WHAT BLIZZ EXPECT ! You already level 60, you not going to give it up right now, but you cannot progress the game, you have no choice just bcos the game is unreaonable hard right now, what would you do?? Oh, RMAH ofcos, working as intent ! people always said. Thats why i said this game is a TRAP ! Judge the game with your won logic and IQ after u have play this game sometime, give a advise to all people around you and save their $$ from thier pocket, write a true review in any game website to tell all people, that the truth behind this game. Expand
  20. May 31, 2012
    DO NOT BUY.

The gameplay is massively repetitive. For those of you who played Diablo 1 or 2, you can't immediately start on harder difficulty - you have to plow through normal getting RSI from all the mouse clicking. There's no challenge to it...

And thats when you can actually log onto the game. Half the time, blizzards servers are down, so you cant even play single player. The
    other half the time when you can login, the single player mode lags!!!!! First and only game I've seen that lags playing locally.

Complete waste of money. I would recommend very strongly against buying this, or anything else from Blizzard. Once upon a time, I sang a very different tune, but Blizzard have proved time and again, that they can almost anything, and ruin it.
  21. May 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played the other two Diablo games to the end and just completed this one on "normal".
    I will start to try to ignore history and rate this for what it is.
    -The persistant online connection for single player coupled with servers failing would normally fail a game just for that. The "careful" Beta testing was done, they knew what they were getting into and failed to make the necessary changes.
    -The system requirements are very low which is great but it fails to make full use of a modern system on the other hand. The background images I admit are very nice but actual game play graphics or even character animations could have been more. -The various information screens and combo experience awards seem to detract from the immersive experience but that may just be personal preference. Having the character do a fist pump in the air or some alternate animation or bellow would have done far more in my opinion. All the arrows and blinking and circles on the map are way too -The configurable skills seem to hit the right balance to me. I am happy to change tactics (If you only have a hammer everything looks like a nail) so changing the tools of the character give some added adaptability and does not lock-in a character. This is a very positive area I feel but some like to have the perfect killing combo that is not easily achieved so it would upset people from that crowd.
    -The auction house just breaks the system: every scrap of useful gear by EVERY PLAYER available for purchase and resale FOREVER. The AH is the primary reason for all other design considerations including the DRM since we do not want spoofing gear locally on the client end.
    -The blacksmith: Doing tons of upgrades for this guy, does it ever pay off? Seemed like diminishing returns, increase stash and share with all your characters seems the way to go.

History Considered:
    -Rehash combination of the prior 2 games in scenery, locale and look. This can be good and bad.
    -Standalone game with no server would have fixed launch woes and made many solo players very happy. This was their buisness decision so consequence and benefit is on their heads.
    -D2 with the expansion is still better, thanks for the collectors edition including it to remind me.

Overall: For a "when it is ready" it is a too obvious money grab and people find it offensive: it appeared they ignored their fans when they claim high and low we are the primary focus so it is like being caught in a lie. Good middle of the road game with failed expectations making it rate lower.

Considering History:
  22. May 31, 2012
    Me: It's too easy
    Friend: You're still in normal mode wait for nightmare
    Me: Man, nightmare is easy too...
    Friend: Wait till you get to hell...
    Me: Almost finished hell without even drinking a pot...
    Friend: Inferno is sooooo freaking hard
    Me: I'm bored of playing it again. 60 euros so that you must play 40 hours till the game becomes a bit interesting, and having to redo everything all over again
  23. May 31, 2012
    I only had a couple of days free to play this it so me and a friend organised a LAN party. As it was 2 weeks after launch I thought Blizzard would have got over their usual launch problems..

Having set everything up, for the most part we spent our days staring at a login screen. The game was fun for the hour or two we were actually able to play it but I couldn't recommend this enough:

Wait a few months before Blizzard fix the mass of issues or allow offline play, and don't buy DRM encumbered games on launch
  24. Jun 13, 2012
    Having never played either Diablo I or II, so I didn't pick this game up out of nostalgia or other sentimental reasons. Played it because of the hype, mainly. Even though my expectations were not too high, I am somewhat disappointed. Smooth as it is, it just couldn't keep my interest for an extended period of time. The combat is too repetitious, just keep your left mouse-button pressed, sometimes right-click or press numbers 1-4... Best thing it got going for it is the many checkpoints - "I'm just gonna take another checkpoint", but even so it becomes tedious grinding once the story is completed and just starts over on Nightmare... Expand
  25. Jul 6, 2012
    The game, though fun for a while does begin to degrade into grinding at times.I personally believe that it is a horrible idea to put in an actual real money auction house, which could lead into exploitation, and hacking.
    Though I still feel immersed by the story. Though I find it very redundant to make a Single player game still on a server
    Generally: Wait either there's a sale on Steam
    or other. Expand
  26. Jun 17, 2012
    Overall, I'm satisfied with the game. The difficulty is just right (Except for Inferno because the developer purposely make it almost impossible to finish it). Each character class is unique, the progression system is okay although it can be better. Itemization could use a bit more work but the current one will do just fine. The story.. I'm sorry but I do not like it. It's like written for kids, there's no depth at all. The graphic is excellent, the color palette is just perfect. Not too dark and not too colorful. About Auction House, I like it so far. Sure, the price nowadays may a bit weird but that takes time for the economy to stabilize, no? I'm looking forward for future updates, fixes and expansions. Expand
  27. Jun 20, 2012
    Reall wish I hadn't wasted my time with this game. So little content that the game is incredibly repetitive. Its setup exactly like the old ones, yeah nostalgic is there but ffs add something new to the mix. no pvp, you play the exact same levels and storyline over and over again on harder difficulties to continue gearing and leveling, and you cant friend or play with people in other countries. Oh and the game is ridiculously easy to play....you have a total of 6 abilities available to use at once. Honestly....I really dont know what people love so much about this game. All I know is I'm ashamed that I even bought it. Expand
  28. Jun 21, 2012
    this review was an 8 before the 1.3 patch.now the game is a joke,blizzard nerf is a joke.now you have to spend milion to repair and you cannot have progress after act 2 cause they nerf all the stats.now the only way to progress is go in rmah that it is exacly what they want..
  29. Jun 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am only rating this game so high because the story... however brief... is quite entertaining. But seeing how there are achievements to beat the entire game in >4 hours, that is about all the content you're going to get. The only entertaining bit about this piece of garbage is if you get to the secret level as a barb and start playing home run derby with the teddy bears. Blizzard... you lost another long time customer Expand
  30. Jun 21, 2012
    350 hours played, two chars at lvl 60 and doing this I had no fun at all.. It's simply not Diablo.. It's kind of a WoW H&S with RMAH.. I'm so disappointed guys.. After 12 year it's bad, simply BAD. I was a Diablo 2 player and i can't have fun with "this" it's different, it's not Diablo! I hope some blizzard Dev can read this, i'm happy to send to him my copy of D2 and D2 LoD so he can play it and CHECK BY HIMSELF!. Expand
  31. Jun 21, 2012
    Go to the D3 forums on bnet and read most of the user comments. At present time, that will tell you all you need to know before buying this game. If you enjoyed D2, don't expect to enjoy D3 simply based on that or you will be disappointed....

32. Jun 21, 2012
    This is a fail excuse for a game in one of the best series launched. Pay to Win.. gimme a break. Blizzard continues its streak of fail. Terrible story line, online play only? really ?? I highly doubt there was even a beta test, seems we are STILL beta testing this hunk of ****
  33. Jul 1, 2012
    It was fun for the first few weeks but just kinda lost interest, gfx are meh, story is predictable, the must have a Internet connection is a pain in the ass.
  34. Jul 1, 2012
    I am very dissappointed from what i've expected Blizzard, one of the richest if not THE richest game company, will deliver to me. But I bought a very expensive game that got a REALLY SHORT STORY. The action house destroyed the collecting experience which was one of the most important parts of the Diablo series.
  35. Jul 2, 2012
    Forget the "servers down" bllsht. It forbided unlogged single player, period.
    Childish story with no suspence at all. No random maps as blizzard said. Too cartoonish with few moments of decent gore and dark atmosphere. Auction House is a obligation to advance in game. PvP not available. Elites are harder then bosses. Bestiary should be doubled. wtf is a nephalm ? and finally...
    65 direct
    hired people, according to wiki, during 6 years to do this ? Expand
  36. Jul 2, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a game where players expected to be playing several months on to continue to get the best items for their character and to savour the moment when they found such an item. However the poor story and very repetitive maps with virtually no randomness make the actual grinding itself mind numbingly boring whilst the actual items that drop within the game are neither interesting nor worth your time to seek out. The awful customer service, feedback, server downtime and patch changes have only the made the game even more of a failure then it was on launch. Expand
  37. Jul 4, 2012
    Honestly, I really wanted to love this game, but shelved it after about 20 hours ingame and never played it again since May 2012. Not because of its login problems in the weeks following its launch, balancing and item drop rate issues or the lack of PVP. Not even because Diablo 3 somehow looks (and plays) like WoW in an isometric perspective. And even the fact that the auction house seemed to become way too important (pay2win) didn't bother me - I simply decided not to use it.

I shelved Diablo 3 because of something far worse: The poor gameplay design. Diablo 3 is not a good game in terms of gameplay, not even a mediocre one, it's bad. It lacks motivation, passion, soul, dedication, identification and innovation. It also misses something that makes it stand out, something unique that makes you want to play it - something that keeps you going.

Of course, the artstyle (graphics, animations, models, cgi and sound) is well done, but the game world - altough well designed - feels too mingy, you never really get "the big picture" of how vast and epic this world actually is. Even worse, there's war and betrayal going on in the world of Sanctuary - and I didn't care, although I wanted to. The game feels soulless, dead and shallow. In the end, I had to ask myself "Why am I playing this?" and sadly, there was no answer. There's something wrong with the core of this game.

I'm sorry to say that, Blizzard, but I couldn't identify myself with the game characters, and sadly, i also felt no empathy with their stories (I know, it's a Hack-n-Slay, but we're talking about Blizzard here - they always had a strong focus on good storytelling). The gameplay lacks almost everything which made the Diablo franchise so engaging and exciting; e.g. the skill system has been dumbed down way too much. Of course, there are runes, but they NEVER should have completely replaced Diablo 2's skill system! As a result, the Diablo 3 gameplay feels bland, repetitive and way too casual: In Diablo 2, you really had to think about what you were doing, but in Diablo 3, this is not the case - and maybe that's why the game feels generic.

Blizzard made game design choices which - from my point of view - turned out to be completely wrong. They should have been more focused on the development of Diablo 3 instead of putting out one WoW addon after another. I really feel bad about giving the game a 4/10, but that's what it deserves from my point of view.
  38. Jul 5, 2012
    The newest installment in a short but well-beloved franchise sacrifices the largest part of what made D2 a thoroughly enjoyable, even addictive, experience upon the altars of more revenue through RMAH. (Oflline/LAN-mode, total randomness of items/drops with random items surpasing the shockingly scarce sets and even legendaries, joke bosses, no tuning at all with regards to random champs/elites who are totally interchangeable and basically consists of a selection of affixes (special abilities) randomly assorted and repeated ad nauseam, developing and shaping your character regardless of cookie cutter specs (I never considered myself "forced" and played what I enjoyed in D2 despite the grief some people gave you, and I did reasonably well)...) Expand
  39. Jul 6, 2012
    After waiting for 10+ years is this the best Blizzard can do? Short single player campaign fill with issues. Missing content. Poor balance. Mad DRM. Buy a 15foot bargepole to help avoid thus overhyped Jaws 4.
  40. Jul 7, 2012
    Big disappointment. shiny graphic vs outdated character management system isometric perspective. this stuff was good 10 years ago. OH The most important! story? where it is? reading advertisements in toilet seems to be more interesting than this offered by blizzard. they had 10 years for that and what they have brought to us? majority of primary school kids may write something more interesting...and longer!
    Internet connection for single player? oh please!!!! and playability or sweetenes as you prefer. it just does not exist. just another after WoW farm-fest.
  41. May 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Worst game ever! Expand
  42. Apr 11, 2013
    This rating is not based in DRM. Is based in gameplay.... the worst gameplay ever. A point and kill game. I dont know why people can say it has "good graphics". Come on, pixeled characters?, fuzzy grass? shadow trees? Nothing has good resolution or detail or style (and yes, Im playing it in the Highest detail with 3GB in VRAM) Repetitive as hell, you have seen everything in the first 30 minutes. Since then, just point and kill. A Well deserved 0 for this "game". Expand
  43. Dec 25, 2012
    When you look at a trilogy of games and think to yourself, "The first one was better than this." you have to stop and really start to think. I played Diablo 3 for about 250 hours with a single character and around 30 hours on every other character. The vast majority of that was begrudging game play. Mind you all but the last 48 hours of play was before the implementation of the RMAH ... and in the last 6 months - maybe 10 hours if i'm (extremely) generous with the estimation. I was willing to accept that this was a new era in RPGs and though some of the core elements were the same - this was going to be a glorified hack and slash when compared to it's predecessors. But wait, weren't D1 and D2 just hack and slash games by that standard? Well, yes and no - did you do a lot of hacking and slashing? yup! did you get penalized for changing up your strategy when you hit an overpowered group of mobs? nope! I mean, they talk about the skill systems versatility, but penalize you for changing skill sets per encounter ... which is very counter-intuitive for the type of game that it is. What about the areas? Well, they're really pretty - but rather than side quest tunnels and pits being a sizable sprawl of enemies they're way too succinct. Going through them seems like an interruption to the linear quest rail rather than an exploration mechanism. It might feel better if you went into a side area and actually found a unique or rare monster, and even better if you would get something good (or at least valuable in gold) - but there's obviously a major disparity between good items and useful items. The sound is great! The cinematics are beautiful! The story was filled with horrible cliched characters and poor story telling (including but not limited to plot holes, continuity problems, incorrect lore, and a heavy reliance on technology over substance). The game's engine is solid but the multiplayer is almost enough to make me want to quit playing any other game online! As a whole it is definitely not greater than the sum of it's parts ... very much the opposite unfortunately. Other games released this year have done much better in capturing the essence of Diablo's game play and story telling. Expand
  44. Jun 27, 2013
    This game lacks everything that would make people remember and love it's predecessors. Graphics 7/10 Dark and nice. Nothing wrong with that. Sounds 7/10 No Matt Uelmen but it fits. Gameplay... Oh boy. I could go on and ramble about the weaknesses of this game like everybody did. Instead here are three things Blizzard has to fix in order for the game to make more fun: -Get rid of the preskilling system. All of it. Skill AND Ability preskilling is the wrong way. Most of the fun in D1 and D2 was character customization. If you simplify it, you take out the fun of the game. Instead, make choice matter.

-Skill damage based on weapon damage. Get rid of it. Seriously, this mechanics is the very reason that's making the game repetitive and unplayably boring. All you need to win is enough items with +stat to your main attribute. I keep seeing lvl 26 characters dual wielding 196 damage weapons and owning every major boss in under 10 secons. That would not have been possible in D2.

-More Diversity in item affixes. All you get are the same lame stats boost over and over again, magic find, more xp and gold and such. Healthdrain is rendered obsolete by the new healthglobe system. You could make the game more challenging by reducing the drops of those healthglobes.
  45. Mar 1, 2013
    Diablo is a girl and Cain gets killed by a Power Rangers villain who uses butterfly magic. Boring items based around the same 3 stats. No build diversity at all. Auction house sucking the life out of the game as predicted. Terrible voice acting and dumb quests that you can't skip. Can't skip between acts. Only one act is viable for farming. Why would you even farm at all you into S&M or something? Even the games lead dev and head CM know the game is bad. They quit rather than try to fix it! LOL If you like torturing yourself and get off on watching the Diablo franchise fall dead at the feet of the corporations then buy this game. Expand
  46. Jan 29, 2013
    Huge fan of Diablo and Diablo 2. Spent HOURS and HOURS on Battle.net playing DII..

Played about 60 hours of Diablo III and it has collected dust ever since. Gameplay is good, graphics are great - always online killed it for me. They basically ruined a great franchise - and made us wait 10+ years for a piece of junk like this
  47. Feb 19, 2013
    Biggest disappointment in PC gaming world. Blizzard took the near-masterpiece of Diablo 2 and dumbed it down for the WoW generation that needs instant gratification in everything. The story is god awful, worse than the trash Hollywood puts out every day. The items system is terrible everyone wants the same main stat/ vit crit crit dmg on every item and there is no choice. The actual amount of content is ABYSMALLY small (about 6-8 hours of gameplay) which is then replayed over and over in higher difficulties. Most classes run the same 2-3 builds because everything else sucks. Maps have almost 0 randomization, putting a huge dent in the replayability value that Diablo 2 and any good ARPG is known for. Game STILL doesn't have a full PvP system as of this writing, outside of gimmicky "brawling". Blizzard tried to dumb the game down and make money, but the players showed them that Diablo 3 is nothing but a polished turd, even after all of the patches to improve the game. For fans of good ARPGs like Diablo 2 I would highly recommend Path of Exile it reminds me of playing Diablo 2 for the first time. Expand
  48. Feb 27, 2013
    Changed my mind. I was one of the suckers defending this game, and the game itself is not so bad, except for one thing. Through "coincidence" I happened to stop the slider for one of their videos at around 10-13 seconds, and saw some guys sticking out their tongues at the camera and giving devil horns. Then a group of people standing behind the camera with trophies in their hands like laughing and glaring at the camera. If these guys want to play like this then they can go "screw" themselves. I hope these guys choke on their success. I'm boycotting their products, until this issue gets solved. The last thing we need is a group of bullies and jerks disrespecting their fans. Bye Blizzard. Have a nice fall. "Pricks." I would personally like to punch each one of these guys in the face now. Expand
  49. Mar 2, 2013
    The visuals are excellent but they can't carry the game. It really should have been held for another year, the lack of content is inexcusable in a rogue-like game. The story falls apart in act 4, the narrative is disjointed, characters poorly constructed, controls and combat overly simplistic, and progression is painfully uneven. Loot drops are excessively random even in full parties with very high MF and max valor stacks. The amount of grinding to progress the story is excessive. Which leads to the assumption that loot tables were adjusted to encourage the use of the real money auction house. Either it's poor game design or something nefarious the effect is the same. The story is too short and poorly explained. Acts 2 and 3 deserved far more exposition than they received and all act 4 needed was Fonzie on a surfboard. The game needed more story content, having a more robust story or better gameplay would have carried it through. Gameplay is too simple and the skills are.....lacking. Reducing a character to 6 skills and the interaction of the skills with enemies and the environments is very limiting. With the new way that health functioned there was great promise for complex combos and action elements that could have evolved the game. Instead they served to make it derivative almost like a flash game with Diablo branding. The ultimate problem with D3 is not it's always on connection nor it's changes to health or even the RMAH that it's design cues come from micro-transaction games. These are games of last resort disposable and only played when we don't have a computer, Game Boy, Vita, console, computer or emulator handy. Diablo 3 teaches us that play medium is important if D3 had debuted on a tablet would have been a fine game and the design changes would have made sense in the context of the devices limitations. Instead it left me with a short hollow and disappointing experience, Diablo 3 has the distinction of being only the second game I have ever regretted purchasing. If you are a fan of Diablo, if you are a fan of Dark Fantasy, if you are a fan of games don't buy Diablo 3. Expand
  50. Mar 4, 2013
    The best example yet why marketers should not have a voice in Game Design. Company policy is fine with Customers paying for their mistakes. Also, the game is unreasonably expensive.
  51. Mar 27, 2013
    The game is just plain boring. There is no skill tree, no stats. All classes uses the same stats dps) from itens. Story line sucks, i mean, Leah, really????
  52. Aug 30, 2013
    I looked forward to this game so damn much. The second Diablo game is one of the best games I've ever played because it combined a variety of elements so extremely well and managed to be completely unique and quite different from its predecessor.
    Which is the first and biggest problem with Diablo 3; it's a bloody mess. The difficulty has been scaled back from very hard to
    kindergarten-hard. The economy is broken you can buy a single item for a very cheap price and you will wreck the next 3 acts that you play. The new skill-system seemed like a good idea when you realized that it didn't encourage switching your game-style. You will literally just choose a few spells and use them act after act after act. The skills are also unimaginative and most are completely useless which is why only a chosen few are good enough for the later stages of the game. This makes everything repetitive and very grindy. Spamming a single ability over and over again until everything is dead is NOT a good way to do things. Which brings me to my next problem; the loot is so boring! In Diablo 2 you could pick up an armour and gain access to an ability that your class couldn't even use. In Diablo 2 you could get a weapon that had a chance of shooting fireballs at your enemies. In Diablo 3 you get items with stats like: +361 dexterity and +270 vitality. They do no difference whatsoever and this is really a deal-breaker in a game that relies so heavily on loot and gear.
    And always online DRM is unacceptable. I'm not even mad that I couldn't play the game when I first got it. That was a long time ago and it was fixed; it's fine. But I should never ever have to be online to play an offline game. That is the dumbest thing they could've possible done and it absolutely infuriates me.
    Diablo 2 improved on great features. Diablo 3 removed them.
  53. Mar 31, 2013
    After growing up playing Diablo II, and loving it, there simply aren't words for my disappointment playing Diablo III. Everything that could go wrong, did. Diablo II, although its graphics dated, was gruesome and dark. Diablo III looks like a World of Warcraft graphical clone. The in-game shop and auction house, requirement to be connected to the internet, and just general "feel" of the game left MUCH to be desired. Also, my account was banned for someone in China hacking it for in game gold. Good riddance... Expand
  54. Apr 1, 2013
    Don't waste 60 bucks on this game, it is not worth it. Aside from DRM, the auction house and all that jazz the game just sucks. A lot of the story feels disjointed and out of place, as if they had all kinds of content and needed a way to mush it all together.
  55. Apr 26, 2013
    i bought that game on pre-sale, played it about 3/4 weeks and never open ir again. Why? Diablo 3 spotted the Diablo brand. Shame on you Blizzard, i was your fan. Why make the system too simplistic? Diablo 3 spell system is designed for a kid.

The auction system has complete destroyed the entire game. The campaign are so quickly and repetitive.
  56. Jul 3, 2013
    What can we say about these numbnuts. DRM really SUCKS. DRM really SUCKS. Blizzard is ona hiding to nothing cause they full of numbnuts, cause DRM really sucks
  57. Jul 14, 2013
    Una porqueria le dieron en toditita la madre haciendolo online.
    Se requiere de la coneccion a internet forzosa, por lo que es una porqueria, no lo compren. Te clavas en el juego, luego te quitan el internet porque no pagaste, y pues ya chafeaste. 0000
  58. Jul 19, 2013
    The worst gaming purchase I've ever made. Besides enforcing draconian DRM without makign a truly connected world, fails to reach the bar raised by its predecessors in the art direction, music, mechanics and story. It's lame narrative, coupled with a purposedly dumbed down control (for console testing), linear gameplay and shallow progression system makes this an incredible disappointing experience. Expand
  59. Oct 24, 2013
    3 points for decent graphics and smooth mechanics, but that is all Diablo III really offers unless you're looking to make a good buck by ripping off the fools in the real money auction house. which is incredibly easy since most are kids stealing their parents' credit cards.
  60. Aug 6, 2013
    Somehow they managed to remove all the fun factor from diablo in this sequel. Finding gear becomes boring as 99.9% of drops are garbage, unlocking new abilities not rewarding because most of the suck. When the game came out the balance was flat out BROKEN in inferno. It still is but nowhere near as much. Using the auction house is MANDATORY and so is gearing and speccing defensively in inferno. Choice? Nope, if you try experiment you'll suck. There is cookie cutter spec and gear and that's the only thing you should ever use because its the only thing that is viable. Classes are imbalanced, Barbarian far outshines the other classes by a large margin, You can spend 500m on a barb and wreck mp10 with ease (the hardest difficulty). Spend the same gold on a monk and you'll barely be able to do mp3, and die a lot. There's just no point in playing anything but a barb. Story is terrible and completely forgettable. Also blizzard are doing their usual thing and promising things and never deliver. They promised pvp, It's STILL not in the game. Some boss mechanics are flat out broken. Like act 2's boss can hit you and kill you in one hit before you can even react. Expand
  61. Aug 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I know there's a lot of fan backlash here but I honestly can't score Diablo 3 more than 4 even though I've beaten it on all difficulties. First two difficulties: too easy thus mainly seen as a chore. Third: Just about right. Fourth: stupid, and the wrong kind of difficulty to boot I don't see how it's a skill check against the player to have your mobs stats set so that they'll one shot a wizard and now the only way to play is to kite everything. That said I did play all this before some supposed "tweaking" and before that, wizards in full resists were basically fodder in Inferno. But alas I can only review based on what I played.

The main reason I score low is:
    1, We've gone from dark, gritty and scary to childish and ridiculous. This isn't diablo. I actually went back to play the original and it still has that same chilling atmosphere and feeling of dread. This game, with it's apparently 6 year old child diablo throwing pathetic taunts your way on the end level, is an insult to the senses.

2, Auction house and lack of solo offline. They killed what made diablo fun, the grinds, the chance to find something really special. There is no chance to find anything special anymore. After four playthroughs I got generic drop after generic drop, absolutely tedious. So I started to browse the auction house and soon after lost any desire to continue playing. I will not pay for loot thanks.

So yeah cheers for ruining everything that made Diablo great, blizz. All you had to do was repeat the dark atmosphere and loot grindy addiction but nah. And ignore the positive critic scores folks because they are clearly not being honest.
  62. Aug 18, 2013
    Totally disappointed: graphic style copied from wow, and totally opposed to the dark environment in Diablo 1&2 gameplay absolutely unbalanced: it is too easy,and that makes it utterly boring.
    No PVP,internet connection required to play offline; real money auction unbalances even more the games mechanics.
    The player stats are now fixed WHY ?!
    After 12 years... Such a failure.
  63. Sep 16, 2013
    I've loved the graphics and the story, even if a little shorted then what is expectable from a game with a 9 years of work. Nothing really new on the characters, skill etc etc. But the whole hack and slash experience is a lot of fun, musics create the right atmosphere, voices are just fine and so on.

but then you finish it, and replay it just to find out that the only thing that changes
    is the difficulty level of the monsters. Blizzard didn't spend a MINUTE trying to make the game enjoyable if replayed. At certain point it's rather embarassing, when you find the templar AGAIN and quest with the SAME templar with the SAME NAME, which, finished his quest just disappears!! it would take a junior programmer an afternoon to make up something more clever, like another templar with another dialogue which at least walks away. It's really embarassing.

And then the auction house kicks in. You find out that the weapon of your dream that took you weeks to fine tune and equip, it's one third of the power that you can buy in the auction house. From that moment on you stop picking up weapons from the ground forever.

Kills the whole game, totally.

Get Torchlight 2, at least it's created as an adventure game and not a secondlife version of ebay.

Shame on you Blizzard
  64. Oct 20, 2013
    The game is a major let down from is predecessors, which had a great variety in build and RPG mechanics, which was completely streamlined, for the worst. The the loot system itself is completely atrocious, making one single weapon to be more valuable than the rest of the gear combined, which is a poor loot choice. The art style is bland and generic, another major let down compared to the unique aesthetic from the originals. Don't buy this game if you value your money. Expand
  65. Oct 25, 2013
    I always use the Metacritic as a good and useful reference, like a good compass. But I'd never wrote a critic. Until Diablo 3 made me do it. I'm know the game, I'm a long time fan of Diablo series and I know that all the selling success was only fault of the success of the two earlier games. They could made the new Hello Kitty game with the name of Diablo 3, and the selling on the first week would have the same result.
    Everything in this game is rage inducing, the storyline is twisted and the fun is absent. A game with a broken storyline with no fun. I'm must be bold with this: a game with no fun. The thing that what is all about, fun. And it is not there. The horror, the terror mood from the first two titles was gone too. Here in Rio we call it a fiasco, a big failure, a disaster. A sound, loud, clear and big FIASCO.
    My note, 3, is only for those people who was born before 2000, who never knew Diablo series and the Blizzard North geniuses. If you are one of them, Diablo is a score 3 game. Otherwise, it's 0.
  66. Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There’re so many failings with this travesty of a Diablo game that it's difficult to know where to start, I'll start with my biggest gripe about this game:

1) The necessity to farm items to stand even the slightest chance against certain enemies: you will, pretty often, run up against groups of 3 or 4 champion enemies that will teleport to surround you then wall you in then multiply so for each one you engaged there is now six then use a spell like decimate or poison and hey presto you're dead in the blink of an eye (this could be fixed if blizzard did one of the following: made the enemies spells less powerful, reduced the total number of possible powers an enemy can have or stopped some effect pairings), this gets compounded by the never ending lag: you go to engage an enemy, the picture judders a bit and all of a sudden you're waiting to re-spawn.

2) Did I mention the ever present lag? I’m pretty sure it did.

3) The characters are all pretty standard, there is very little difference between them past their active attributes: only 2 stats are worth bothering with for each character type, the rest are pretty much useless.

4) The items are much of a muchness, even with 1.4 patch it’s still a world of nerf away from being any good.

5) The story line is pretty boring and unoriginal.

6) The lesser evils you face off against are clichéd, two dimensional and don’t really fit their reputations: Azmodan, according to the game’ lore, is hell’ chief strategist yet can’t stop himself from telling you his whole plan, Belial can’t lie for s**t, is transparent, predictable and massively boring. Even Diablo sucks and in this title he’s supposed to have all the powers of the 7 evils for f**k sake.

7) This game loses all playability after the first time round, to be honest it was a struggle to even get through the first play through.
  67. Dec 24, 2013
    Once you reach level 60 and you get good gear game gets booooooring. Specially when u play over and over again on same acts, Act 1 is the best in my oppinion, 2 was ok, 3 was mixed feelings and 4 is disaster, short and crap. first 2 acts has a bit of a story the rest was kill kill kill and kill the diablo done. It is way easier to get a good gear now then it was published. Now there's an expansion coming out which will make game more interesting and probably more fun to play but the price is way overpriced 40$ 40€ which is worst for EU). Anyway I don't think this game scored more then 3/10 with expansion 7/10 probably. Blizzard is kinda rip of with their pricing strategy and turned a "OK" game into "Disaster". I wont recommend players purchasing much money on expansion, maybe wait for its price to drop then purchase. Expand
  68. Dec 27, 2013
    Diablo II is one of my favorite games and certainly the game I spent most time on, so I had certain expectations for this game and sadly it disappointed many of those.

The good:
    * The graphics and in-game interface are great. There's really not much to complain about here: The game looks good and the interface has many comfort features that make managing the items and character very
    easy.

The bad:
    * Always online. There's no point in making a game that can be played alone need an internet connection. Also, the servers (Europe) have a very poor performance, even a year after the release.
    * No character customization. No stat points, no skill points. Once you're level 60, there's no reason to play the same character class again. Which leads directly to the next point:
    * No replayability. If you want your character different, you can just change the skills and items. The story is boring and the maps are always the same, too, so that doesn't exactly help.
    * Max level is too low. Absolutely stupid decision to make 60 the max level. They tried to fix it with the paragon levels, but that's just a small patch for a completely broken leveling system. Of course there will be higher levels in the expansion, why else would players buy it? Totally sad marketing strategy.
    * No ladder. Seriously? The ladder and the competition and friends that came with it was one of the greatest things about Diablo II.
    * Only 4 players per game and no open PvP.
    * No custom game names and very bad lobby interface (thanks to consoles). To create or join a game, you need to select difficulty, monster power, act and quest. That gives you about a million different combinations and with only a few thousand players online, chances are your game will be empty. All that, because consoles don't have a keyboard. Great.
    * Boring and predictable story. Not that an ARPG needs a great story, but they f*cked it up nonetheless by trying too hard.
    * No random outdoor maps. I can run through most of the game with the eyes closed by now, because the maps are always the same, except for a few randomized spots.
    * Real money auction house. The auction house is great, but including real money was a bad and greedy choice by Blizzard. Players didn't like it so instead of just removing the real money part, they will remove the whole auction house (no doubt because database queries require many servers and now that they don't make any more money with the auction house...). Greedy f*cks.
    * Removal of auction house in March 2014. Now players will get scammed on websites again when they trade items. Great.

All I really wanted was Diablo II with better graphics and interface. Diablo II had millions of fans for a good reason, but that wasn't good enough for Bli$$ard, so they went ahead and casualized the game to squeeze out every dollar they possibly can. I hope they noticed that it's going to bite them in the *ss in the long run.

The metacritic ratings tell the real story. Almost 9000 reviews. Average score 3.8. Yeah. Good f*cking job.
  69. Dec 29, 2013
    Worst RPG ever. Beautiful artwork but the mechanics and the endgame sucks hard. Reaper of souls is gonna be even worse than the vanilla. The new Crusader class is boring. Most of the skills are copied from the other ones. Act5 is cool but one act doesn't fix the game. Now the only end game is going to be rifts and bounties which are boring and not enough rewarding. Everything is account bound. Public games sucks, no benefits for being in a clan. I played the closed beta of the expansion and I am really disappointed. It doesn't worth the money. Expand
  70. Dec 30, 2013
    I just wished and got this title as a Christmas gift. I was going away to and was really excited to play it on my laptop when i´d have alone time. I install the game and I´m hit with an incredible disappointment, I never thought I´d care so much about offline playability but now i know. Sure it was me who did´nt know this before i wished for D3 but why o why would a gaming company deny this freedom of choice. For a title like this i mean... from me it´s gonna be a low score, not being able to even access the game unless stationed i cannot give it more. Expand
  71. Jan 1, 2014
    One of the most anticipated games of the decade that turned out to be one of the biggest gaming disappointments of the decade. Aside from the game play everything that made Diablo an awesome game is removed from Diablo 3. Their reason for this is clear they wanted to create and easy to port console game which had to be a watered down version of the original Diablo series. The story line makes no sense and the items are boring and horrible. Do not buy this game. Expand
  72. Jan 3, 2014
    This game is one of the most boring games I have ever played. Now I don't look for bad games and almost every game i've played has had something fun about it. the only game I have ever played and had no fun what so ever is this one. there is no character customization, no variation in what skills you can learn and no variation in the game aside from what class you choose. Its game-play is that of a line walking button mashing experience. Expand
  73. Feb 8, 2014
    you can call it **** or scam. This game ruined diablo's franchise, turning it into a cheesy pay2win for coach junkies or beliebers. Stay away and keep the money
  74. Feb 10, 2014
    The graphics are too rainbow bright, cartoonish and girly. The dialogue is cheese and the story is lacking. The art style is too much like World of Warcraft.
  75. May 23, 2012
    The game is actually good. VERY good. Extremely perfect art direction which makes those other art directors want to quit their job for ever and same quality with everything else. (I just didn't much liked the UI actually. It feels like it was rushed a bit)

Whether agree or not the game is actually extremely 'old-school'. When playing oldschool games, when you beat the game you start from
    beginning right from beginning. The most primive example for this fact ('the oldschool gaming') is goddamn mario. You beat it like a boss but nintendo still makes you play the same game over and over. And I believe MOST of those low point submitters are still playing diablo 3 like right now. So, how does this does not make this game 'old-school' in your terms. This game is more and more hack and slash then the previous games. and believe me, I've played them both A LOT. Even if you had what you wanted you'd still vote this game low because one little glitch would make you vote 0 on anything. And the what I've noticed you guys don't get the 'old-school' gaming and you babble it alot. Because you did the same with portal 2. And this review also applies to portal 2 too.

About the constant internet connection, I should admit I'm not cool with this too. But that's the future of the games. And Blizzard showed some balls (and greed ofc) and stepped in to a new age of privacy protection. Blizzard explained more then 3 trillion characters made on the first release of diablo 3. That's close to population of f*cking earth. And WHOLE earth was trying to connect their servers. And not even 1 week after their servers now running perfectly. That's something google can handle and a for a game company they over come the situation goddamn smoothly. Bliz tries to cover up what the offline playing took with online content and other social stuff. Although I'm still not %100 ok with constant internet connection but I guess they'll come up with a patch for offline playing for a few patch later. (greedy bastards lol)

with all my sincerity, I was hoping something more like diablo1, and I'm sure I'm going to play diablo 1 again after finishing diablo3 on hell. wandering in claustrophobic dungeons and taking ladders with infinite steps which goes RIGHT in to hell. I realise they tried to get the feeling of the first one but they fused it with the second one. and fusing stuff to each other never has a perfect result. Anyway this game is 2012's metal slug! I just can't wait for upcoming patches, expansions, characters, pvp etc.
  76. Jan 13, 2014
    Not good, not good at all. Almost everything that made Diablo 2 special is gone. Especially the atmosphere. Its gone. Completely.

Art style is so wrong, completely opposite of what Diablo should look like. Story is just stupid. Bad game.
  77. Jul 2, 2012
    Disappointed overall. Expected the game to have much more depth and ground breaking concepts. Errors and exploits have killed the online market. Graphics and designs were exceptional but still could have improved even more, especially with the time they had to develop it. The gold duplication exploit has destroyed the gold and real money market. There is no real point in buying/selling on the market any more. A small % of people have huge amounts of gold which wouldn't be possible, even if u played 24/7. The item's attributes and stats are a little off. Certain normal/uncommon items are better than rares and legendaries . The game overall is very linear and repetitive. Disappointed in the final product and hope an expansion will further the games experience. But i have that feeling that it will just be an expansion that will raise the level cap and still the same repetitive item hunting with no other real goals to aim for. Expand
  78. May 20, 2012
    Diablo III does not reach my expectations, but they were extremely high and unreachable. Diablo III is a great followup from Diablo II. It's downside is that the music does not create the same athmosphere as diablo II's music did. They have relied much on nostalgia when creating the music, and not succeeded with creating fresh and new awesome diablo music. Also the game is short. I was expecting a 20~ hour playthrough and it took me 10 hours to complete and i listened to all the lore and went into all the caves i found while exploring. I mean, about 6 years development, come on! The new fresh skillsystem is welcome though. Delete's the possibility to fail your character and still maintains alot of customization options.

Also the launch issues were annoying. Achievements has not been working, In my first playthrough i did not recieve any achievement at all. Nevertheless it's a great game and it's easily worth the money. I will spend hundreds of hours playing it.
    If you like bashing skulls on a bazzilion amount of monstrous creatures, Do not hesitate!
  79. May 18, 2012
    Ya know what, this game isn't bad. Not fantastic but not exactly the worst thing out there. I'll confess to being a little...disappointed with the quality of gameplay graphics (Starcraft II from the same developers delivered better quality textures and models at an even smaller scale). The music, one of it's predecessor's greatest strengths, seems almost absent from the game and the story really is nothing truly as gripping as I had come to expect from Blizzard Entertainment, who had previously held a fantastic track record of great storytelling. The DRM which requires you to constantly be online and constantly feeds back information causes my machine to run like an airplane that's about to take off, needlessly using computer resources and an horrible manifestation of this current obsession with anti-piracy and blocking legitimate, paying customers out of developer's games (No doubt Activision was heavily involved in this decision). All in all, this game still has alot of elements from the original series I enjoyed and certainly builds on many of them and sticks to the ones that work. It incorporates alot of traditional elements of the Diablo games which I enjoy but all of it's shortcomings and it's year of development cannot be justified so overall, a little bit of a letdown and not worth £40. Expand
  80. Jul 2, 2012
    4 is probably unfair, but I hoped for so much from this game. After less than a month, I entirely stopped playing. I think the short explanation why is the meaningless random loot and the repetitive nature of the end game. The game is pretty and it is easy to drop in and out of games with friends, but it just lacks that loot-crack element to keep me coming back. Fun for a while, but not staying power. Expand
  81. Jan 12, 2014
    Avoid it at all costs!! I got this title free from Blizzard because of a WoW subscription promotion and even paying for WoW and getting a special mount it DID NOT worth it. It cannot be compared to Diablo I and II. The end was something that most players will feel more painful that ME3 and DA2. Not even for free I got satisfied. You have been warned!!
  82. May 8, 2013
    Game made around the Auction House.
    Made so player could sell other players items for real money and blizz gets a cut.

Worst thing i played in years. And unfortunately i pre-ordered so there's some money i'll never see again.
  83. Jul 2, 2012
    Okay so Diablo 3 is OVERALL an okay game. Obviously, the story is not as good as anybody expected, and the sound quality in general is not that great, however Diablo 3 keeps you playing it because of its reward, and looting system. The game gears towards giving the best items in the game, or at least making you THINK you have them, very early in the game and often in the game. However if you look past the actual loot you gain, its basically like playing a multi-player game like Team Fortress, or Tribes by yourself. The game requires an internet connection to play in single-player mode. I recently found myself on a plane with nothing to do for the next 4 to 5 hours, so I finally brought myself to play some Diablo 3. Then I realized, wait I need internet connection for this. I have to say, Diablo does have decent enough graphics, but I feel too much like I'm playing World Of Warcraft to even appreciate the fact that I paid 60 bucks for this game. However it was expected that this game was going to be like World Of Warcraft, without Leroy Jenkins. Diablo 3 fails to bring the element of suspense and surprise into the game, making it a major bore for players worldwide. However, Diablo 3 is sure to attract a massive fan-base regardless of how bad, or good the game actually is. But I must admit Diablo does have some remotely fun parts, but not enough to hide the terrible game-play and story that Diablo 3 has. I do not think this game is a "good" one and definitely do not think it is worth the 60 dollars you pay for it. Expand
  84. May 10, 2013
    I don't think I need to repeat what the whole internet is saying. Some points for the graphics, cinematics and soundtrack. This game took me to the highest highs and the deepest lows (in a very specific segment of my life, of course): most excitement I ever felt about the launch of a game, then gradually but surely descending to the most disappointment I've ever had from a game. Now I just don't care, uninstalled it. Expand
  85. May 8, 2013
    Just the worst game I ever played in the whole world. The story suck as hell really and gameplay sucks like the story. The graphics.... Every thing just suck in this game (I want my money back).
  86. Dec 13, 2012
    Malísimo, arruinó todas mis expectativas. Simple, aburrido, monótono. Casi nula personalización de habilidades, modo online obligatorio, pésima historia, atmósfera tétrica muy pobre, diseño de mapas mediocre, personajes infantiles, música olvidable y un sinfín de defectos. Larga vida a Diablo 1 y 2.
  87. Dec 25, 2012
    I registered here, to write this review as a warning for everyone who is using upper/high end hardware.

First of all, the game will be stuttering and run choppy in general if you don´t have the game files either on a SSD or a USB stick. Due to the coding, it doesn´t work as it should if installed on a HDD.

Second, the support of high end hardware is horrible. You will not
    get stable FPS no matter what setting you´ll use, new drivers generally made everything worse and it seems it isn´t in both nVidia´s nor Blizzard´s interest to make this game run well. A recent example are random game freezes which happen using the new WHQL nVidia driver 310.70.

The story isn´t worth it. The item system, compared to D2 where it was probably the #1 fun factor of this game, is horrible.
    In the end you´ll find yourself doing runs after runs filling your inventory with countless rares, which 99% of the time will be worth- and useless. Even if you´ll find a legendary, there will be so many RNG rolls on that items that in the end it will most likely turn out bad, let alone that most legendaries are useless anyway. This was very different with the equivalent uniques of D2, and will bore you moreso than give any satisfaction.

The skill cap is so low, especially because you´re restricted to only use 6 abilities at a time. In D2 you had access to ALL your skills anytime.
    You only seem to get dumber playing this game, honestly.
  88. Dec 31, 2012
    Terrible game, their are many good asepcts of diablo 3, but ultimately it becomes boring. The skill and character customization was amazing, it encouraged lot's of experimentation, and allowed players to tailor each skill to their preferences. however, the good things end there. I don't even know where to start; boring, short story that they force you to repeat 4 times, lack of character customization, and overall grindfest made this game a failure Expand
  89. Jul 13, 2013
    Sigh. One of the biggest disappointments of 2012. BUT there is a remedy. Torchlight II. Go buy it. It's on sale on steam for $10 and will literally address every complaint you have with this mess.
  90. Feb 20, 2013
    after lvl 60 its just mindless grinding or pay to win ]] after lvl 60 its just mindless grinding or pay to win ]] after lvl 60 its just mindless grinding or pay to win ]] after lvl 60 its just mindless grinding or pay to win ]] after lvl 60 its just mindless grinding or pay to win ]] after lvl 60 its just mindless grinding or pay to win ]]

after lvl 60 its just mindless grinding or pay to win ]]

after lvl 60 its just mindless grinding or pay to win ]]

after lvl 60 its just mindless grinding or pay to win
  91. Mar 3, 2013
    The graphics are outdated. The first thing I did after about 30 seconds in the game was go into my graphics settings I was shocked to find that they were already set at the highest possible level. Sure didn't look like it. I normally don't place too much emphasis on graphics (having just finished Final Fantasy IX for the fourth time last week), but the game has no redeeming qualities to save it. The voice acting is over-the-top and detracts from the already poor and non-engaging story the immersion of D2 is replaced by arcade-style flashy emptiness in D3. I returned to this game after I was initially disgusted six months ago the changes aren't noticeable, except for creeping inflation in the Auction House. The game is always online, meaning people with low-quality internet will suffer gamebreaking lag and frequent disconnects, each one erasing up to 10 minutes of progress. Since you can change your skills and abilities at any time with no cost or repercussions, you don't really feel like you're building a character, and since the story is so poor, fast-paced and uninteresting, you don't feel like you're making a difference or that the game world has history and meaning besides being a playground for you your sole purpose, then, is basically to accumulate gear. Don't even get me started on Blizzard's monetization strategy with their Real Money Auction House. About the only good things I can say about this game is that the interfaces and art style are unified, sleek, and polished, and that the game feels very "smooth" (when you're not downloading or otherwise suffering low internet speeds). Blizzard over-hyped, under-delivered, shamelessly monetized, and generally let everyone down. This is unforgivable. I will never again buy a Blizzard title just because it is a Blizzard title I'll do my due diligence and read reviews, watch gameplay videos, etc. The fact that all the mainstream websites and gaming mags liked it just signals corruption, buyoffs, and shady dealings in the industry. Expand
  92. Mar 13, 2013
    Dull and repetitive, even the carbon copy storyline fails to give anything new. With each level it's only really the graphics that change. I won't even start on the always on-line requirement. AVOID.
  93. Apr 13, 2013
    Ridiculously terrible and sad game. Biggest disappointment of a decade. The only good thing about this game is nice art in game. The bad is no randomly generated maps, server down time, ping problems, end game is pay to win this list an go on and on. Also, dumbed down game play due to being ported for consoles doesn't do any good to the game either. Even though most people did already I suggest that you do not waste your money on this game. Expand
  94. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Biggest game disappointment in my life. The most fun I had playing this game was chatting with people while playing, the game is so bad it has more value of a chat room than a game. After 6 hours I wasn't having fun anymore, tried to give it a chance to 12 hours before giving out. The only thing I was impressed with was the seamless exit and retry from the auction house to the game. Too many negatives to list off, so I'll just hit the low points, the games graphics, style and control are archaic they belong in the past 10 years ago so lets start with that. The auction house ruins the joy of finding loot. O yes and the fact I per-ordered my $60 game and couldn't play for the first week. Ok I can't waste anymore of my life on Diablo 3 this review is over!!! Expand
  95. Apr 25, 2013
    This game does not feel like a Diablo game at all. There's no end game, drop rates are so low, no diversity, no PVP, nothing to play besides farming one act mindlessly, patches progress are just way too slow. It does not feel like Blizzard is putting their resources into this game.
  96. May 6, 2013
    Initially, this game was quite fun. Maybe it was the fact that I had waited for 4 years constantly checking the news for any indicators on its release date. Pros: Great graphics. Combat feels good Great character animations Fluid combat Negatives: Terrible endgame Lack of 8 player games you can name create yourself like Diablo 2 had Awful gear and droprates No PVP at release big letdown
    No harassment pvp like Diablo 2 had
    No open world PVP like Diablo 2 had

The number one disappointment for me though was the lack of a Diablo feel. The story was laughable. The villains were just ridiculous and cartoony, in a bad way. The music was overly epic and didn't fit the Diablo feel. A lot of the game felt a bit like World of Warcraft. In fact there were even naga type enemies in Act 2. One of them had a laughably awful line, "YOU WILL NOT GET INTO THE AQUEDUCT!" or something along those lines.

Overall, just skip the game if you loved Diablo 1 or 2. If you never played the original Diablo games, this is a pretty average game, but I think everyone expected better from Blizzard.
  97. May 19, 2013
    I wrote a 5000 signs review, but I'm editing it down: The good: -Nice graphics -Fluid gameplay The bad: -The story -The items -New item slots that add nothing to the game but graphics -The character offensive skills all being completely dependend on and fully based on weapon damage -Even spells being completely dependent on weapon damage -The taste in my mouth when a hammer with 500 fire damage makes my cold spells stronger simply because it deals more damage than the wand I had before
    -The lack of ANY actual character development beyond the CoD unlock-on-level model
    -Better items being a nonfunctional replacement for character development
    -The cartoony monster affixes (Arcane Sentry, reflect damage, invulnerable minions)
    -The cheesy NPCs
    -The cartoonish and childish style, dialogue and plot
    -All characters are the one and same with different colors of sparkling on their attacks
    -The auction house made necessary to have any fun what so ever
    -The real money auction house giving botters incentive to bot
    -The odds of finding useful items you need without using the auction house
    -Difficulty solely being the grade of your equipment in any given encounter
    -Bosses never drop anything useful
    -Nephalem valor band-aid on the broken spine that it the game's itemization
    -Paragon levels band-aid on the buried corpse that is character development
    -Maps are all small mazes not large open spaces.
    -Maps are not randomly generated.
    -No functional PVP
    -PVP gameplay being displayed in 2010 but scrapped
    -Areas and mechanics in gameplay videos getting scrapped
    -Diablo II and Lord of Destruction gameplay and mechanics getting scrapped in favor of WoW mechanics
    -Diablo II enemies and lore getting completely scrapped in favor of all new enemies
    -The british skeleton archers. Talking. Skeletons. Talking british. SERIOUSLY?!?!?
    -They were WARNED about all of this in the beta OH SO MANY TIMES but did nothing
  98. Jul 27, 2013
    Terrible waste of time of a game, doesn't even have half of the features its prequel did over 10 years ago. Don't waste your money. Making loot not drop to drive the real money auction house, so they can profit on micro-transactions.
  99. Jul 22, 2013
    The positive:
    High production quality, extremely well-made low-poly meshes and low-resolution textures, amazing pre-rendered cinematics. Well designed and thought-out experience from start to finish. The hack-and-slash gameplay is fluid, fast-paced, and engaging. Character and class builds make sense, are flexible and easy to understand. The auction house is a structured economy that
    makes gold an essential liquid commodity.

The negative:
    Is not an appropriate follow-up to it's predecessor in terms of story, atmosphere, or music. Character customization is simple, but not rewarding or interesting. You can only pick a few skills to use, which creates a more restrictive play-style and, while you can experiment with many potential builds on a single character, the builds you can create aren't particularly creative.

Finding loot is usually unexciting because, generally, the best loot for your character is whatever maximizes the stat for maximum DPS. Rares, uniques, and set items drop too infrequently because if they did, their value on the auction house would plummet. While finding loot for many players was arguably one of the main draws in Diablo II, Diablo III lacks this draw because the most efficient and effective way to obtain items is through the auction house. Players end up engaging in finding loot less (again, because good items need to be extraordinarily rare to be valuable on the market), and end up grinding simply to find gold to pay for loot. If Diablo III is supposed to be an evolution of Diablo II, why are players grinding away mindlessly still? At least in Diablo II, if players were grinding, it was to find items instead of gold.

Item crafting (runewords, crafted items, etc.) is also completely missing--socketing gems in order to simply boost stats for DPS isn't the same and it lacks interesting results.

Overall, players are given less choices in what they can do while playing the game, and are forced to focus on monetizing the auction house in order to reap any benefits of having played the game. Rewards are simply proportional to the efficiency of grinding and the strength of a character build is almost entirely based on maximizing DPS.

Aesthetically, the atmosphere is not the same as Diablo II's because it deviates from the austere, dark, horror-gore style and inserts a bit of a cartoonish flare. Overall, the game is colorful, vibrant, and saturated in a way that does not suggest an impending doom or dire circumstances. Animations are over-exaggerated. Dialogue is generally good, however, as well as the voice-acting.

Diablo III might be a better game if it wasn't simply an ultra-polished Diablo II--slimmed and stripped down to its core mechanics to make the experience an exercise in maximizing player rewards. Of course, many players, including myself, criticize Diablo III mostly for not being Diablo II; at the same time, Diablo II is simply a classic, but extremely out-dated game. I think gamers have come to expect more depth in their gameplay instead of the linear grind of Diablo games, and Blizzard should not be afraid to completely overhaul their approach to the franchise in future iterations. Don't try to make a better Diablo II/III, just worry about making a Diablo IV.
  100. Aug 21, 2013
    When I first started playing, I found myself enjoying the game. The first two chapters were a lot of fun, and being able to play with some of my friends was an added boon. However, by the third chapter, the game really begins to drop off, and by the fourth it's almost as though Blizz just stopped caring entirely. This was also where I finally began to experience the biggest issue I remain to have with this game- lag. I was only barely able to beat the game before the lag eventually got to a point where I literally couldn't play the game anymore. A note to Blizzard, and to all other devs planning similar DRM- not everyone has stable reliable internet connections, and punishing these honest customers is no business model. Expand

1. Aug 31, 2012