3.9

1. May 15, 2012
    truly awful game obvios wow ripoff 0/10 pls dont copy other games pls truly awful game obvios wow ripoff 0/10 pls dont copy other games pls
  2. May 15, 2012
    Big fan of D2, this is just the worst launch in history, of any product, not just a game!
    Paying for something and being denied the use of it = Theft
  3. May 15, 2012
    helo i this this game is bad caus le monky fa, and not gut pvp n stuf so i hop it be beter soon so i can buy and pley this game pls no buy it no good now
  4. May 15, 2012
    I would love to write a full review, but I can't log into my single player game. Nice intro though. The issues will be mostly resolved within a week or two, but this shouldn't need to be an issue.

Customers shouldn't be penalised for buying a game. As Gabe Newell said, publishers need to offer a better deal than the pirates do. Blizzard are failing at this right now.
  5. May 15, 2012
    Come on, we can't EVEN review the game you know!?!?!?

Its pretty obvious, Blizzard is how old? How many patch day crashes, launch day crashes, and other things have they dealt with? Don't you think, with what could be their hugest release ever, they maybe should get it right? Vanilla Wow BC WOTLK Cata SC2 Any major wow patch All of those have been marred by issues. When I buy a game, I
    Come on, we can't EVEN review the game you know!?!?!?

Vanilla Wow BC WOTLK Cata SC2 Any major wow patch
    All of those have been marred by issues. When I buy a game, I want to go play it, right **** now. I gave you your $60, now let me play my **** game. Now, not in three hours when you decide to pull your heads outta your asses.
  6. May 15, 2012
    This is what happens to a series when it gets bought out by a corporation solely to make money. Enjoy the DRM, $60 price tag, and dumb downed/water downed gameplay mechanics.
    The score of 1 is for effort. Thank you Activison for ruining CoD, WoW, and now Diablo.
  7. May 15, 2012
    Absolutely terrible launch. Blizzard you should hang your heads in shame. Of all the companies I would have expected to be prepared for a large user base it's you. I think you've been poisoned by WoW.
  8. May 15, 2012
    I've tried to play four times today. How many times have I been successful? Zero. My rating of 'one' is because I've never actually gotten to play this game. Always on connection sucks, get rid of the RMT and make a great game.
  9. May 16, 2012
    How is it that a company that pioneered so much with WoW and SC2 can fail so hard with Diablo? I can understand servers going down with WoW; never before in the history of the industry did people see load like that on day one. With Diablo 3, it's been 8 years since WoW, Blizzard should know stuff like server stability by now. Why the hell are the servers all continually down? I can't evenHow is it that a company that pioneered so much with WoW and SC2 can fail so hard with Diablo? I can understand servers going down with WoW; never before in the history of the industry did people see load like that on day one. With Diablo 3, it's been 8 years since WoW, Blizzard should know stuff like server stability by now. Why the hell are the servers all continually down? I can't even play SINGLE PLAYER because of the DRM requiring me to host my one player games on their servers. To anyone reading, please take a note of all the 'official critics' who have reviewed this game with scores like 90/85 etc; these guys are the ones that Blizzard has paid off. I remember back when Blizzard was a good company and they let people LAN games and play one player locally. I don't want to keep ranting so I will close it off. Don't support Blizzard. Don't buy this game. Expand
  10. May 21, 2012
    I'm new to the Diablo franchise and I know part of its appeal is replaying on harder modes with different player types but I can't really recommend this game to anyone who doesn't know exactly what they are expecting. Its a short game that seems like it should be on the IPad not the PC and has some serious serious technical flaws. Onto my main complaints. First is its very short, ComparedI'm new to the Diablo franchise and I know part of its appeal is replaying on harder modes with different player types but I can't really recommend this game to anyone who doesn't know exactly what they are expecting. Its a short game that seems like it should be on the IPad not the PC and has some serious serious technical flaws. Onto my main complaints. First is its very short, Compared to something like Witcher 2 or Skyrim this game just seems so tiny, it really feels like an IPad game you'd pay £6 for. Even though its short much of the content isn't varied or interesting, particularly in the dungeons.

Also the graphics aren't great, its not even that they're unattractive but rather its that they don't fit in with the dark sinister feel of the story. Finally, despite my rock solid network connection which I play games on regularly, I kept getting kicked out of my own single player game because it claimed it has lost my connection. Each time it did it I lost my progress, starting at the last checkpoint. If it wasn't for this very frustrating nonsense I'd have been completed even quicker.
  11. May 25, 2012
    I was willing to overlook the connection problems, the poor itemization, the terrible story, and the general dumbing down of characters. What I'm not willing to overlook however, is that my account has been hacked half a dozen times now, without my account itself being compromised. Blizzards servers themselves are vulnerable to attack, effectively destroying any effort put into the game.I was willing to overlook the connection problems, the poor itemization, the terrible story, and the general dumbing down of characters. What I'm not willing to overlook however, is that my account has been hacked half a dozen times now, without my account itself being compromised. Blizzards servers themselves are vulnerable to attack, effectively destroying any effort put into the game. Activision Blizzard keeps ignoring the problem, blaming players who "must have" given up their login info somehow, when I'm absolutely certain that is not the case. Do not buy this game. I wanted to love it, but I can't. Activision has effectively destroyed any reputation for quality Blizzard had with the release of this game, and it's so incredibly sad. Expand
  12. May 15, 2012
    Negatives: online DRM and online singleplayer, cartoon graphics and wow style graphics(its like a wow mod), nothing new in gameplay and high price; only positive thing is sounds and musics are from diablo 1-2.

its a big disappointment, i was expecting something different.
  13. May 15, 2012
    Purchased. Unable to play. For a game I mostly play solo... Unacceptable.
    A team of hundreds of video game's veteran, a budget of hundreds of millions dollars, a name worth a billion : how have you managed to screw this brand that much ? Please, Blizzard. Leave Vivendi-Universal, they hurted you badly.
  14. May 15, 2012
    alright, enough is enough. If you are going to release a game online only, make sure u know what u are doing. If you are unsure, then release an offline mode that syncs with servers every so often with online as the main. But this is rediculous
  15. May 16, 2012
    A step backwards for the entire gaming industry.
    Rather than give players a full game experience, Blizzard-Activision decided to pull offline mode and LAN mode from the game.
    The game series just isn't the same without it. Because Blizzard was afraid of pirates, the people who actually have paid for the game now have to suffer the consequences. Infact, pirates have already made the game
    A step backwards for the entire gaming industry.
    The game series just isn't the same without it.
    Infact, pirates have already made the game public for download and have an offline mode.
    The pirates have actually improved the game and given people a reason to pirate rather than purchasing.
    Do not buy the game, do not buy it's DLC, and do not talk about it. This is how you make the game die and send a message to the developers.
  16. May 17, 2012
    if you want my review of the game look at koroshiya_ichi review. Gone are the days when blizzard was a gamers company. Now blizzard is just about herding as many casual gamers as possible to play there games. Even if it means abandoning the hardcore gamers that built blizzard to start with. They will not get another penny of my hard earned money.
  17. May 18, 2012
    Agree with the other users here. Gold selling within a day of launch. No multi-display support, clunky animations, micro transaction auction house, no world PVP, no innovation from the previous Diablo. Do yourself a favor and get torchlight / torchlight 2.
  18. May 25, 2012
    PLEASE READ THIS COMMENT. I ask you kindly, even more I beg you, don't buy this game. Even if you played the beta and enjoyed, or you have read reviews and tested the game, and really liked it, still DON'T BUY DIABLO III. Don't let Blizzard get away with their disrespectful and discriminating policies. Is it their really so much difference between not letting you play the game if you don'tPLEASE READ THIS COMMENT. I ask you kindly, even more I beg you, don't buy this game. Even if you played the beta and enjoyed, or you have read reviews and tested the game, and really liked it, still DON'T BUY DIABLO III. Don't let Blizzard get away with their disrespectful and discriminating policies. Is it their really so much difference between not letting you play the game if you don't have internet connection and for instance saying that you can't go to college because you're black. I mean really you can always (or almost always) get yourself internet connection just like you can change your skin color. Please show some solidarity with people who, like me, sometimes play their games on the go or want to play together with friends who don't have internet connection. If we don't protest now SOON ALL DEVELOPERS WILL FOLLOW BLIZZARD. And don't stop there don't buy any Blizzard products until they change their policy and tell all your friends to do the same or really soon you'll find that you won't be able to play any single player game without internet connection. I am not even going to discuss other concerns such as the fact that you don't really buy the game you kind of rent it from Blizzard, or the fact that there won't be any mods, or the lag, or the theft of the accounts, or the server issues, but I have to say a few words on the auction house. BLIZZARD SUPPORTS MODERN DAY SLAVERY by legalizing the trade of virtual goods. Just do a Google search and you'll find information on forced labor camps in China and other not fully democratic countries where prisoners are forced to play the game to support the regime or for the financial benefit of the prison guards. Don't be ignorant about this issue, there's no excuse, educate yourself, and search your conscience to determine whether you'd like to play with people who are forced by oppressive regimes to farm gold in the game you play simply for fun. IT'S UP TO US WHETHER WE LET GAME DEVELOPERS DISRESPECT OUR RIGHTS AND THE RIGHTS OF OUR FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS.
    EDIT: 1st time I reviewed something on metacritic and I gave it 10 instead of 0, sorry if it was misleading to anyone.
  19. Sal
    May 15, 2012
    Incredibly disappointing, putting aside the launch issues (Bad form for a multi billion dollar company to not have adequate servers) The dumbed down skill system, lack of any customisation at all (barring gender) Lacklustre voice acting and all round pointless story lead to a game that had great potential being a sub par run for the genre it's series basically invented. Torchlight 2 andIncredibly disappointing, putting aside the launch issues (Bad form for a multi billion dollar company to not have adequate servers) The dumbed down skill system, lack of any customisation at all (barring gender) Lacklustre voice acting and all round pointless story lead to a game that had great potential being a sub par run for the genre it's series basically invented. Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile are looking like much better choices.

Being forced to be always online is a joke for a game that is mainly a singleplayer run, and solves absolutely nothing. How hard would it be to allow us to create character offline that cannot in any way interract with the online content?

Rated 2, for nostalgia purposes.
  20. May 15, 2012
    This game is terrible, talk about a rotten apple. It has been 12 years since Diablo 2 and it is plain to see they just took this game of the old project/expansion pack storage shelf, wiped the dust off and repackaged it. The storyline is very thin on the ground and the whole single player story is exceptionally short only a few hours of quite repetitive play, the character customisationThis game is terrible, talk about a rotten apple. It has been 12 years since Diablo 2 and it is plain to see they just took this game of the old project/expansion pack storage shelf, wiped the dust off and repackaged it. The storyline is very thin on the ground and the whole single player story is exceptionally short only a few hours of quite repetitive play, the character customisation system is limited and in places even confusing unless you are familiar with the previous games. This entire game is just shameless grab for more money by forcing a continual online connection and perpetuating the myth that online multiplayer or pay to play WOW type play is the only way to go. There is no way on earth this game can justify the hype or the hefty price tag, Diablo 2 was a much better game. That fact coupled with the multitude of errors, DRM activation problems and the online requirement make the whole thing slightly more enjoyable than a bad hangover from a long weekend. I strongly recommend anyone reading this to look to an older and much loved Diablo type clone instead for long term internet connection free enjoyment, titles such as Titan Quest, Torchlight, and Silver Fall spring to mind. In the interests of saving your money for a good gaming experience please donââ Expand
  21. May 16, 2012
    I thought i brought Diablo 3 not another copy of WoW?
    I love how blizzard decided to dumb this game down, no attribute points, no skill trees?? /end sarcasm.

Very very dissapointed.
  22. May 15, 2012
    The way Blizzard is handling this situation is the most irresponsible and retarded thing ever done by a multi-million dollar company since the Golf War oil spill. Congratulations on becoming the biggest joke in video gaming history since Duke Nukem Forever. I can't believe I'm downloading a pirate cracked version of a game I already paid 60 dollars for, I want my money back
  23. May 18, 2012
    Its a bad dungeon crawler with the Diablo name on it. The game is actually less than its predecessors. I'd rather play Dungeon Hunter Alliance and that's sad.
  24. May 15, 2012
    DRM DRM Absolutely disgusting action from Blizzard, the introduction of DRM shows a complete lack of respect and trust from this company and punishes those who planned to buy the game instead of pirating it. They forget that some people around the world that don't have a constant internet connection available to them. I wont even talk about the in game gold hoarding.

whatever you have

whatever you have to do don't give them your money.

Don't buy this game it only encourages them.
  25. May 15, 2012
    Diablo 3 is Dungeon Siege 3 with an always online DRM.
    No stat points, just like Dungeon Siege 3
    Automatically get every skill instead of opting for customized builds, just like Dungeon Siege 3 Items are the only way to affect stat points, just like Dungeon Siege 3 Health/Mana orbs, just like Dungeon Siege 3 Dungeon Siege 3 was terrible and got boring real quick, Diablo 3 has many of the
    Diablo 3 is Dungeon Siege 3 with an always online DRM.
    No stat points, just like Dungeon Siege 3
    Items are the only way to affect stat points, just like Dungeon Siege 3
    Health/Mana orbs, just like Dungeon Siege 3

Dungeon Siege 3 was terrible and got boring real quick, Diablo 3 has many of the same inferior mechanics, some aspects that are better, but one aspect that is much much worse. Always online DRM... even play the single player game.

Given these limitations and the overall game length the launch price should have been $30.
  26. May 15, 2012
    This game is nothing compared to Diablo 1 and 2, Just a big disappointment. THE STORY IS TERRIBLE OMG WHY DID I BUY THIS WHILE SO MANY GOOD TITLES ARE COMING OUT THIS YEAR?
  27. May 15, 2012
    Graphics: Disappointing, I was expecting something better. The cartoony look does not justify the sub-par graphics.

Storyline: Boring, boring, boring Character creation: zero customization, all same-class characters will be exactly alike Biggest gripe: Can not play single player without server support (then is it really single player?). Blizzard took DRM to a level that screws over

Storyline: Boring, boring, boring

Biggest gripe: Can not play single player without server support (then is it really single player?). Blizzard took DRM to a level that screws over customers. With such a large revenue from pre-orders you'd think Blizzard would do more to ensure a a launch where players could at least play by themselves.
  28. May 15, 2012
    Craptastic. Played closed beta right up until release. Realized they were shipping a game nothing like the predecessors wrapped in Diablo packaging. Realized early on that only the biggest fans and those not paying attention would go for it. Advised friends not to go for it. Just read their reviews and my 2/10 looks good in respect. At least I'm not out $60 to $120. This game is to DiabloCraptastic. Played closed beta right up until release. Realized they were shipping a game nothing like the predecessors wrapped in Diablo packaging. Realized early on that only the biggest fans and those not paying attention would go for it. Advised friends not to go for it. Just read their reviews and my 2/10 looks good in respect. At least I'm not out $60 to $120. This game is to Diablo what Dawn of War 2 was to that franchise, a spinoff more than a sequel. Oh, and the story itself (I finished it through hell mode in the beta) appears to have been written by a fanfic lemon writer who really wanted old characters to hook up. Strike that, fanfiction is better. *shudder* Expand
  29. May 18, 2012
    It would be nice to play the game for longer than 10 minutes. But I keep getting kicked off the game with error "3007" every time I play for about that long. I hate how DRM punishes the legit customers.
  30. May 18, 2012
    Very disappointing game. I've been playing Diablo since the first one, and it seems that as time goes on, they become more mechanical and box the player into a much more linear type of gameplay. I've played through about 10 hours of Diablo, and nothing has made me crack my jaw in amazement. It's just a click fest so far with nothing new or cool to show for it. The art style also seemsVery disappointing game. I've been playing Diablo since the first one, and it seems that as time goes on, they become more mechanical and box the player into a much more linear type of gameplay. I've played through about 10 hours of Diablo, and nothing has made me crack my jaw in amazement. It's just a click fest so far with nothing new or cool to show for it. The art style also seems dysfunctional. At times, I feel like I am playing a budget title because the art style makes some of the textures look low res. The character models are horrible. I have also yet to find a single weapon drop that upgrades the weapon that I started the game with.

The worst part of this is that they dumbed down a character development system that was already dumbed down.

I can't believe that this game actually got an aggregate 89 score from reviewers on Metacritic. If you are new to the Diablo series, it may be worth it, but in all honesty, if you have played Torchlight, you're not missing anything. In fact, it seems that little old Torchlight had more features than Diablo does. Maybe you should wait for Torchlight 2 to come out.
  31. May 19, 2012
    A lot of people are constantly complaining about server's statuses and overloads. Just want to highlight that I am aware of this problem and really tried to be constructive in my review and I don't just give a low score because of that. Ok, so to start - unfortunately Blizzard screwed one of their best Universes up, the story-line is weak as never before. The character development isA lot of people are constantly complaining about server's statuses and overloads. Just want to highlight that I am aware of this problem and really tried to be constructive in my review and I don't just give a low score because of that. Ok, so to start - unfortunately Blizzard screwed one of their best Universes up, the story-line is weak as never before. The character development is bizarre, slow and, at the end, just getting boring. The quality of items/artifacts is low e.g. at the end you don't really get any differences between an ordinary stuff and a sword... So the gameplay is screwed as well. The graphic engine is weak and wow-like (which is horrible because Blizzard had 10 years to design a brand new engine, not just use the old wow's modified one! A good 2D would be better than a crap 3D). Well, finally, all this online based non-sense, which is plain awful and totally aimed on a maximum cow-conversion of customers (to milk them for money). I don't want to use internet when I play diablo! I just want to sit at my office/flat/cottage and play it at my laptop/desktop even if it won't have any internet connection! I am frequently outside the city and it's just hard to stay online ALL THE TIME. The only good thing I can say about the game is it's OST but I can just buy it separately, right? Thinking to ask for a refund. Highly disappointing and simply sad guys. I am sorry for loss of our dreams and try to concentrate on a good stuff and remember some Diablo 1/2 moments. Expand
  32. May 24, 2012
    Nobody at Blizzard played through Diablo 3 or they all suck at RPGs. Jay Wilson (lead designer) claimed it would take at least a month to finish the game. People finished it on the hardest setting in less than 3 days. Their lack of RPG knowledge is reflected in the gameplay. The rampant bugs and server issues speak for themselves.
  33. May 15, 2012
    Totally ruined everything that made d2 good. No character customisation. No fighting for the good item drops. Can't even see peoples names in the chatroom!
  34. May 16, 2012
    This game is about an 8 or a 9 when you can play it, but as a single player game with an always on connection it thus far deserves no better than a 1. Single player games which you get lagged out of, or can't log in because servers are too busy aren't single player games at all. If Blizz wanted to make this always on, they should have just made this World of Diablo and called it an MMO.
  35. May 15, 2012
    Today I bought Diablo 3 thinking I would play an outstanding game. But I didn't know Blizzard wouldn't allow me to play, because they were too cheap to buy enough servers for everyone. You don't implement always-on DRM if you can't handle it. I usually don't bother to score games on Metacritic but I'll give this one a 0, because whatever it's worth, I can't play it. This is shamefulToday I bought Diablo 3 thinking I would play an outstanding game. But I didn't know Blizzard wouldn't allow me to play, because they were too cheap to buy enough servers for everyone. You don't implement always-on DRM if you can't handle it. I usually don't bother to score games on Metacritic but I'll give this one a 0, because whatever it's worth, I can't play it. This is shameful incompetency and the company deserves every hate from its customers. Expand
  36. May 16, 2012
    WORSE DIABLO EVER VERY DISAPPOINTED !!! A) The worse DRM in the gaming history that requires you to be always connected and login with a server even for playing the single player campaign. I have never seen such a fascist and so annoying way from a gaming company to force even the Single player lovers to be always connected and all the time in the net just to play the single player partWORSE DIABLO EVER VERY DISAPPOINTED !!! A) The worse DRM in the gaming history that requires you to be always connected and login with a server even for playing the single player campaign. I have never seen such a fascist and so annoying way from a gaming company to force even the Single player lovers to be always connected and all the time in the net just to play the single player part of the game.....B) Character customization along with the skill tree are far inferior from Diablo 2 and 1....C) Story wise this is a laughable sequel. The game story feels more like a low budget fantasy movie and like some short of soap opera and most characters in the game are forgettable D) The gameplay experience and most scenes makes this game seem more like a World of Warcraft variation than a real Diablo sequel with cartoony dated graphics. The game suffers from low quality textures and low polygon characters and poor animations , from the graphics point of view this new so-called Diablo 3 reminds me some old games from 2004-2005 period. E) WHAT Innovation???? You said innovation ?? Haha do not make me laugh you will not find anything really innovative in this mockery of a sequel.... Blizzard is just milking another cow it seems for the $$$money$$$$. Expand
  37. May 15, 2012
    How is it possible to release a game this broken. First of all it is damn near impossible to play the game with all the Errors and bugs on the server and the un-catering for efficient amount of users to play the game when they made the decision to make the game Online ONLY. Second, the little bit that I did play has nothing compared to what diablo 2 offered 12 years ago. This game seemsHow is it possible to release a game this broken. First of all it is damn near impossible to play the game with all the Errors and bugs on the server and the un-catering for efficient amount of users to play the game when they made the decision to make the game Online ONLY. Second, the little bit that I did play has nothing compared to what diablo 2 offered 12 years ago. This game seems like a cheap cash in. They took Diablo and made it into a WoWish diablo game.

Look I know that they started to cater for the casual crowd but hell, this game even goes beyond that!!

Do NOT buy this. Atleast wait until the servers are working as they SHOULD be.
  38. May 15, 2012
    So much hype and expectation for a game full of bugs and impossible to play for more than 30 min without errors ,just like bioware did blizzard betray their fanbase
  39. May 15, 2012
    Randomly generated maps, unique monsters, classes that actually play differently from each other, good music, good art.
    What does all this make? A game that SHOULD have a 10 out of 10.
    What does all this make? A game that SHOULD have a 10 out of 10.
    But it's getting a 2 out of 10... because it requires you to be online to play it. Blizzard was quoted as saying everyone is always online. Well I wasn't over the weekend for several hours & guess who's not online right now? Blizzard.
    And so the game has become completely unplayable; barely obtaining a 2 out of 10. I paid $100 based on the public "beta" (which was actually an unfinished demo a.k.a. starter edition as it's now revealed to be) to purchase this game & to continue playing a great series. Even to this day I am still working on my Diablo 2 paladin attempting to get the "Doom runeword" in single player having never played in multi-player.
    Diablo 3's life time is sadly limited... probably to 1 year at which time Blizzard is likely to kill the servers to save money.
    But I'm not working on my Diablo 3 characters... because I can't play as Blizzard isn't online.
    Blizzard thinks they're secure in the fact that I've already bought the game... what they don't realize is, unlike the states, where I live I may still return the product even opened & registered.
    So here's $100 to say I think this can be a great game.... but if it's not playable SOON it'll be $100 saying "scre* off with your anti-consumerism Blizzard"
  40. May 21, 2012
    I see people giving D3 ratings of 0 and 10, I think they are both crazy. This game is decent, but I really feel blizz dropped the ball. I just feel like there should be more to this game after 3+ years of development. Its just a watered down reskined version of D2. It's a decent game, but not $60 worth of decent. I'm just really disappointed in Blizzard, and this really makes me wonderI see people giving D3 ratings of 0 and 10, I think they are both crazy. This game is decent, but I really feel blizz dropped the ball. I just feel like there should be more to this game after 3+ years of development. Its just a watered down reskined version of D2. It's a decent game, but not $60 worth of decent. I'm just really disappointed in Blizzard, and this really makes me wonder what they are going to do in the Wow xpac. They just aren't the same company they used to be. Expand
  41. May 15, 2012
    For those of you who believe that a majority of these reviews are troll reviews in order to tarnish the game's overall appeal are sorely mistaken. If anything, its the positive reviews that need to be called into question. The only thing that I had seen so far in my entire time attempting to play this game has been the message "Error 37." This game's DRM is so incredibly overboard that oneFor those of you who believe that a majority of these reviews are troll reviews in order to tarnish the game's overall appeal are sorely mistaken. If anything, its the positive reviews that need to be called into question. The only thing that I had seen so far in my entire time attempting to play this game has been the message "Error 37." This game's DRM is so incredibly overboard that one cannot even play the singleplayer without needing an internet connection.

I feel that the score of 0 is appropriate because there isn't anything to play. This is not a game. It's a $60 piece of trash. Save yourself the buyers remorse.
  42. May 15, 2012
    Diablo 2 with updated graphics, a real money auction house and DRM that prevents people from playing equals one bad game. It's a shame what's happened to Blizzard. Terrible, stay away from this one.
  43. May 24, 2012
    Remember when Andy could 1 shot you in normal? her name as the maiden of anguish wearing her S&M outfit either whipping you to death or slowly poisoning you to death earned her that name. The fear of Duriel slicing you up, while maintaining that hard shell that kept you ruining in a claustrophobic place that added atmosphere. same with the maggot pits, real fear was felt in there. Diablo 2Remember when Andy could 1 shot you in normal? her name as the maiden of anguish wearing her S&M outfit either whipping you to death or slowly poisoning you to death earned her that name. The fear of Duriel slicing you up, while maintaining that hard shell that kept you ruining in a claustrophobic place that added atmosphere. same with the maggot pits, real fear was felt in there. Diablo 2 had more diverse and interesting enemies throughout the level, the subversion the rangers from the first game and creating blood raven into d2 was cool and d3 has none of that. Objectively better tone, story, and gameplay that contributes the the user's happiness in diablo 2. This game makes you sit through 3 levels of tutorial making me waste 2 days trying to get to inferno. server issues suck too. Expand
  44. May 15, 2012
    More of a tech demo than an actual game. Game is short with no soul put into it. No stat distribution. Similar classes are nearly identical without many options to make you different than other players. Only 4 players can play in a game, and maps have checkpoints are are linear. The classes also lack polish. The witch doctor is a shell of what the necromancer used to be, and the monk is aMore of a tech demo than an actual game. Game is short with no soul put into it. No stat distribution. Similar classes are nearly identical without many options to make you different than other players. Only 4 players can play in a game, and maps have checkpoints are are linear. The classes also lack polish. The witch doctor is a shell of what the necromancer used to be, and the monk is a poor replacement of the paladin. This is what happens when creativity is lost in making computer games. The whole game feels like it was made by an artist who was forced to paint something he didn't want to. This game is a waste of money, go play diablo 2. Expand
  45. May 15, 2012
    I can honestly say there has never been another game that has disappointed me more. It is almost like Blizzard tried to make a game that could be simple enough to be ported to consoles. Because quite frankly this is really, really pitiful. The reasons have been covered enough, don't buy it.
  46. May 15, 2012
    I created an account specifically to review this game.
    I wasn't going to buy it but at the last minute I thought why not.
    Quite often the negative reviews on metacritic are over reactions but this time unfortunately they are correct. I haven't finished it yet but from what I have experienced it is terrible. the art looks like WOW and the graphics are very poor. In addition to this, the
    I created an account specifically to review this game.
    I wasn't going to buy it but at the last minute I thought why not.
    I haven't finished it yet but from what I have experienced it is terrible.
    the art looks like WOW and the graphics are very poor.
    In addition to this, the game lags and has a terrible framerate.
    If you are considering purchasing this game whatever you do try before you buy.
    I feel like I have wasted $90 dollars I swear I'll never purchase another activision blizzard game again.
    I am a legitimate customer and not someone with an axe to grind.
  47. May 15, 2012
    call of demon/gears of demon is what this game is. everything what was awesome about the second installment of diablo has been taken away and replaced with pure **** DRM, bad servers, boring gameplay very similar to me3, bad voice acting and so on. everything about this game sucks. this game isn't even worth the time and bandwidth to pirate. just leave it and pretend it never existed.
  48. May 19, 2012
    Diablo 3 is fun, but produces nothing new to the gaming community. Controls are archaic, camera is clumsy and graphics feel plainly odd. I'm sorry, but this game does nothing to bring technology or gaming forward.
  49. May 16, 2012
    Forget Diablo the lord of hell, the new Prime Evil that needs to be defeated is this draconian DRM nightmare that prevents legit costumers from playing what they paid for and which introduces lag into single player. If single player with lag isn't truly evil, I don't know what is. Forget hell, the HQ of Activision-Blizzard is where the true evil is to be found these days. Better take yourForget Diablo the lord of hell, the new Prime Evil that needs to be defeated is this draconian DRM nightmare that prevents legit costumers from playing what they paid for and which introduces lag into single player. If single player with lag isn't truly evil, I don't know what is. Forget hell, the HQ of Activision-Blizzard is where the true evil is to be found these days. Better take your sword, spells, or whatever and go there to fight evil. Just be prepared, there is much evil there and you better not go alone. And forget this game, it's just a shorter and simplified version of Diablo 2 with 2004 Wow Graphics that offers nothing that was not already done better by other games before. Expand
  50. May 15, 2012
    Cliche story. You are able to see what is going or who is who right from the beginning, which are signs of terrible story writing. Poor in-game cutscenes. Average graphics. Below average music (with Matt Uelmen gone - the name behind Diablo 1 & 2 soundtracks, it just feels unoriginal & boring). Terrible level designs, very limited procedural generation which gets boring real fast. BeingCliche story. You are able to see what is going or who is who right from the beginning, which are signs of terrible story writing. Poor in-game cutscenes. Average graphics. Below average music (with Matt Uelmen gone - the name behind Diablo 1 & 2 soundtracks, it just feels unoriginal & boring). Terrible level designs, very limited procedural generation which gets boring real fast. Being locked to 6 skills at a time, very few skills, automatic stat allocation. Etc... etc...

But my biggest problems are: EU is completely broken, login servers are down, game servers are heavily loaded & busy... Can't you add login delays & queue to keep login servers up? And how come game servers are loaded & busy? What was that stress test for? These are just amateur mistakes from Blizzard. It gets my rating down to 2 from 6.
  51. May 15, 2012
    They removed many well loved diablo features and replaced them with world of warcraft features. This is basically WoW 2.0.

People have already beaten this game in 4 hours.4 hours to beat 4 acts and kill diablo, severe lack of content. You are forced to be connected to blizzard servers even if you just want to play single player, which means that whenever they go down you can't even play.

You are forced to be connected to blizzard servers even if you just want to play single player, which means that whenever they go down you can't even play. Blizzard servers go down every tuesday and they have been up and down constantly since release making it difficult to just play single player. This game is not an mmo so this is ridiculous. They claim this is to stop people using bots and cheating, which is a terrible excuse for this terrible DRM. There is no link between allowing people to play single player offline and stopping people from cheating online. Once again this is a horrible form of DRM.

They removed a bunch of well loved features from the previous game and replaced them with features from their world of warcraft game. You no longer have stat points to customize your character with, and by the maximum level you have every skill available to your character, making your character exactly the same as every other one of the same class by level 60. Skill points have been removed.

People have already cleared acts 1-4 and killed diablo in 4 hours, although there are more difficulties where you just replay the same content where monsters are given higher hp and damage. Still the amount of game content is lacking.

At least in normal difficulty it seems impossible to die which makes the game quite boring. I'm not particurally fond of lazy difficulty systems where you just multiply monster's hp and damage by a certain amount, either.

You are not even allowed to fight other players like in the previous games, but they promise they will put world of warcraft style pvp arenas into the game at some point.
  52. May 15, 2012
    Last Blizzard purchase I make...This company has really gone downhill in the last couple of years. I know that WoW had a shaky launch and some rough patches, but that game was an MMO! This game is just a DRM logon!

As for DIII: very dated graphics- I understand the desire to sell to a broader audience, but limited animations, single viewpoint, and screen shake?! The enemies all look

As for DIII:
    very dated graphics- I understand the desire to sell to a broader audience, but limited animations, single viewpoint, and screen shake?! The enemies all look like mannequins rather than hellspawn beasts. I was more afriad of Doom 2 monsters than these! No single player/DRM -enough people have mentioned this
    Customization- much like what happened with WoW Cataclysm, there is no more choice in development. I dont want to play like other people; let me choose, let me fail if that is the case. All skills are granted as the character increases in level. There are no attribute or skill points to customize your character.
    Overall just boring- maybe the game will intensify with the the 'higher difficulties' (read: stat padded mobs), but I can forsee this game becoming a very one-dimensional gear farming title. Quests are not at all memorable or exciting, nor are they class specific.
    Now that people can 'play to pwn" with the real money auction house, Blizzard is just sucking the money from gamers who simply do not know better (the ~300 people that have given this game positive reviews thus far).

I was able to quit WoW with ease after how bad Cataclysm let me down, and now I will get a refund for this complete waste of $60. Well done Blizzard, you just lost a customer who had been loyal since 1997. At least there is still Valve!
  53. May 15, 2012
    I cant believe I waited 12 years and spent 80 bucks for this, I cant even play this crap right now because of maintenance ???!!! I JUST WANT TO PLAY SINGLE PLAYER !!!! WHY WONT YOU LET ME !!!!!
  54. May 17, 2012
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

D3 is a horrible game. Do not purchase it.

If you get it as a gift, eBay it for half price unopened, then take the money and buy a real game like Endless Space.
  55. May 15, 2012
    Wow. What a mess, lol! Guys, don't buy this. You can't play as Diablo 3. Sigh, you can't even play as Diablo from previous titles! They won't let you. Instead you have bunch of wow characters (No, you can't change face OR race). And you can't even go reskill some noobs! No horde or alliance, that's a sad thing! Why can't i play as ork atlest? Why would you call game diablo and not have himWow. What a mess, lol! Guys, don't buy this. You can't play as Diablo 3. Sigh, you can't even play as Diablo from previous titles! They won't let you. Instead you have bunch of wow characters (No, you can't change face OR race). And you can't even go reskill some noobs! No horde or alliance, that's a sad thing! Why can't i play as ork atlest? Why would you call game diablo and not have him as good guy? Game should have been called WoW for mentally challenged! Expand
  56. May 16, 2012
    It's probably the best of the hack&slash..... But it's just a hack&slash. If you love this type of game, you'll probably get an orgasm. But if it's the story and the alternatives in the gameplay wich are moving you one, just a word will come in your mind : boring. This game is ........... boring. Oh yeah, the loot is great, your player is growing up in the strength ....... and that'sIt's probably the best of the hack&slash..... But it's just a hack&slash. If you love this type of game, you'll probably get an orgasm. But if it's the story and the alternatives in the gameplay wich are moving you one, just a word will come in your mind : boring. This game is ........... boring. Oh yeah, the loot is great, your player is growing up in the strength ....... and that's all. I've played it for 6 hours, and there were 5 pain hours. Seriously , how can someone stay and click click click for hours, without strategy, without story, without anything just a little laughable. It's like work, and what a want when i touch a game, it's to play, not to farm hours after hours for a **** sword Expand
  57. May 15, 2012
    The original creators of Diablo no longer work in Blizzard. They currently work on Torchlight 2 which is going to be the true Diablo successor. Not this piece of broken ****
  58. May 15, 2012
    +Decent graphics. -Always online DRM, -Lack of skill diversity, -Connection errors, -Play to win, -Short story. This game is a step back from Diablo 2, so I recommend avoiding it.
  59. May 15, 2012
    Unfortunately a disaster. Repetitive and nothing that we haven't seen in other hack and slash games. Good visuals but nothing more. Insípid story/background and too little classes. I think that this is a good moment to Blizzard rethink their future plans about Diablo.
  60. Jun 7, 2012
    This game has been engineered to reap idiots of their money. Some executive decided that the black item market should be more than legalized, it should be the core aim of the game. And DEVS completed their mission. Unfortunately it ended as a poor boring game were there is no possibilities of different play styles inside the classes all will always play and feel the same. It is worse inThis game has been engineered to reap idiots of their money. Some executive decided that the black item market should be more than legalized, it should be the core aim of the game. And DEVS completed their mission. Unfortunately it ended as a poor boring game were there is no possibilities of different play styles inside the classes all will always play and feel the same. It is worse in almost all aspect than D1. Anyone going back to D1 or D2 will find more fun in those than in D3. i m not joking. Blizzard acted as a b!tch and i hope the market b!tchslap it. Now lets hope they ll come to their sense for D4, if they can survive the cascade of failure they are accumulating that is. If not, patience, the market will fill the void, TL2 is there for that, and its only the beginning i would bet Expand
  61. May 15, 2012
    Briefly this is not Diablo. This is a bad version of WoW. No more darkness and grit. Instead we have a game stripped to the bare bones of simplicity and bright colors. That is if you can even log on. And then hope you do not crash. Something as simple as equipping a shield on your templar companion if you are a DH means game crash. Stay away from this horrid crap. One question to theBriefly this is not Diablo. This is a bad version of WoW. No more darkness and grit. Instead we have a game stripped to the bare bones of simplicity and bright colors. That is if you can even log on. And then hope you do not crash. Something as simple as equipping a shield on your templar companion if you are a DH means game crash. Stay away from this horrid crap. One question to the pathetic money grubbers at Blizzard: You had this same thing happen during the stress test and you knew how many preorders sold yet you still could not devote enough servers to handle it? Expand
  62. May 15, 2012
    --> No offline single player
    --> No LAN play
    --> No mod support
    --> Pay for power auction house
    --> Can't login because Blizzard allocated a woefully inadequate number of servers for launch

Don't support this trash, wait for Torchlight 2.
  63. May 15, 2012
    To those attempting to defend this game for servers not being available at launch: shut your mouth. This game is a title that requires a persistent online connection to play the single-player game. It would be one thing if it was a single-player game that's multiplayer aspect was rocky on launch day but you CANNOT PLAY THE GAME AT ALL thanks to the DRM. That is unacceptable. There is noTo those attempting to defend this game for servers not being available at launch: shut your mouth. This game is a title that requires a persistent online connection to play the single-player game. It would be one thing if it was a single-player game that's multiplayer aspect was rocky on launch day but you CANNOT PLAY THE GAME AT ALL thanks to the DRM. That is unacceptable. There is no excuse and no way anyone can defend this. I am attempting to get a refund from Amazon as we speak because frankly this product does not function, I cannot play the game thanks to the server error and from what I'm hearing about the lack of skill-trees and no customization I doubt I would even want to. Expand
  64. May 16, 2012
    Even without the server issues (which I did not experience)... the game was just bland, boring, and certainly not the diablo I've grown to know and love
  65. May 17, 2012
    After playing the game now for a good amount of time I find myself losing interest in the story. The game has No explanation of why in such a short amount of time 1 generation apparently, the lords of hell are back. The side quests are so simplified and handed to you, you can't possibly make a mistake or miss something or even have use your brain. There little arrows pointing flashingAfter playing the game now for a good amount of time I find myself losing interest in the story. The game has No explanation of why in such a short amount of time 1 generation apparently, the lords of hell are back. The side quests are so simplified and handed to you, you can't possibly make a mistake or miss something or even have use your brain. There little arrows pointing flashing waypoints telling you exactly where to go to do the 1 quest you get at a time. It's been stripped of the exploration and adventure. This might have been targeted for kids if not for the theme. The rehashing of of every zone and dungeon and world is a mistake in my opinion. I was truly expecting a new game new world a different time and era. It's diablo 2 with updated graphics. It's the same fing game in this aspect.

I haven't played enough of each character to form an opinion on all the classes yet but the initial selection leaves something to be desired. The complete lack of customization is a let down. Not that it was part of the franchise in either of it's predecessors but this generation of RPG deserved more. The skill progression is absurd you should have had to find the runes, vs having them given to you like each spell is already. Would possibly have given some replay value. I won't have to play again to try out other variants of the same class.

The one thing that I found that is simplified for the better is the crafting of weapons. I'm not the kind of person that wants to sit around and craft 1000,s of items to gain xp so the gold deposit for training did I'm my opinion take the tedium that is in so many games out of the equation.

Overall I think blizzard has let down the generation of gamers that made the first two games such a success and has done a disservice to this generation of gamers new to the series. This franchise desered so much more than what has been created.
  66. May 16, 2012
    It is Diablo III. No matter what you get out of the other reviews, it is a great hack and slasher and my favorite since Titan Quest. It's a lot of fun to play (when you can play it) and the skill system is pretty well done. I will say that the game seems to be (at least on my first playthrough) stingy with good loot and it probably won't get as many replays out of me as it could have.It is Diablo III. No matter what you get out of the other reviews, it is a great hack and slasher and my favorite since Titan Quest. It's a lot of fun to play (when you can play it) and the skill system is pretty well done. I will say that the game seems to be (at least on my first playthrough) stingy with good loot and it probably won't get as many replays out of me as it could have. Sound is great, spells look great and feel great. All that being said I regret my purchase because this game is not worth $60. The RMAH and always on DRM (that prevents legal purchasers from playing) is patently anti-consumer and has bumped Blizz out of my personal pantheon of greats. This should have been distributed F2P because it is monetized like a MOBA and you have no real ownership at the end of the day. Buy on sale. Expand
  67. May 15, 2012
    I was already extremely disappointed from the start because of the overall "WoWification" (which I probably don't need to go into detail about; read the other 500 reviews about it), but with the whole unplayable part I am officially mad. I regret buying this
  68. May 15, 2012
    What a joke. This is the most disappointing game I've played all year; honestly I'm losing faith in this industry every month. Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 were fantastic, but this is just terrible: bugs, design flaws, and above all it is just boring. The connectivity issues are horrifying, but I'm sure they will pass; still it shows how Blizzard doesn't give a damn about their players.
  69. May 22, 2012
    $65 for this game feels wasted. While the game is very similar to Dungeon Hunter, with more classes, I got DH for $10. And thats what this game should have been a steam download in the range of 20-40 Max. I have yet to experience any lag or connectivity issues. But what I hear seems harsh. The graphics dont feel current gen, they feel like they are from 2000, so when I see "the$65 for this game feels wasted. While the game is very similar to Dungeon Hunter, with more classes, I got DH for $10. And thats what this game should have been a steam download in the range of 20-40 Max. I have yet to experience any lag or connectivity issues. But what I hear seems harsh. The graphics dont feel current gen, they feel like they are from 2000, so when I see "the visuals are tremendous and watching stuff explode etc" I have a 32" monitor I play and I can barely see these things. Alot of hype from critic reviews, and alot of ppl who are like omg 12 years to play this game? Ive never been this let down since Duke Nukem. Anyways my two cents. And dont bother waiting for this to hit the bargain bin, if it ever does, the servers will be offline at that point and you wont be able to play it anyways. Expand
  70. May 15, 2012
    Long live Valve the last true legendary AAA development that has yet to disappoint, sell out the hardcore gamers, and smile while pretending that they not screwing us over. I've never felt compelled to review a game till now. I paid top dollar for frustration. Been trying to log in for hours without success. This is not only a massive embarrassment for Blizzard but for me too. I wasLong live Valve the last true legendary AAA development that has yet to disappoint, sell out the hardcore gamers, and smile while pretending that they not screwing us over. I've never felt compelled to review a game till now. I paid top dollar for frustration. Been trying to log in for hours without success. This is not only a massive embarrassment for Blizzard but for me too. I was stupid enough to give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt that they would make a MMO in the guise of single work in a seamless manner - in the least prepare for obvious mass impact on the servers at launch - when I knew it was BS that I had to play on-line. I onced loved Blizzard. Now I HATE Blizzard and refuse to support them again. Expand
  71. May 15, 2012
    Pre-Ordered just to sit through repeated denials of login, game errors, and general letdown.

Aww, Bliz. You got me again. I should have known better.
  72. May 15, 2012
    I've played the beta (single player) and had a blast.
    I've played the beta (single player) and had a blast.
    It might feel a little dated however (besides the pretty look), you cant customize youre characters face/body etc, just a male/female choice. Same thing for how its played. But if you like that it might actually a good thing although die hard diablo 2 players are sceptic aswell. Its a very polished game and so is the gaming experience. Cant say much about the story because i havent been that far in.
    Based on the above i bought the game and still rated it low because an uplayable game isnt a game. I've spend more time trying to log in then i actually played it. Ive played MMO's and i have seen launch days but this is ridiculous (plus its not an mmo and i cant even singleplayer).
    Dont know what Blizzard was thinking, they had to know the amount of preorders, they have experience in this sort of thing with wow and sc2 yet they messed up badly. And then they even decided to throw in another mass of trial players at the same time (why not introduce that a week later?).
  73. May 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. it's now an industry standard that just what your game's objectives are constantly shoved down a player's throat. as is that developers seem to think everything that might require a bit of thought needs to be streamlined, and that human beings can't recognize simple patterns, and things need to be much more "cinematically focused". and anything beyond this is "entitlement."
    and while this should not be suprising, it has happened to blizzard's diablo 3. how, you ask? how hasn't it been?

players click and click as per usual. it's how the game works. as players level, they use runes to help with skill customization, and attribute points are distributed automatically like many a jrpg. these changes from diablo 2 are worth mentioning in a positive note, but unfortunately there is absolutley no influencing what skills are learned and what points are gained, a luxury those same jrpgs will usually grant. this system did need some fixing from diablo 2, granted, but not an entire revamp. essentially, 2 seperate player's witchdocters will be exactly the same, sans wargear. a standard melee attack damaging GROUPS of enemies is cheap and console-gameplay-esque (wonder why). the health drops that you simply walk over coupled with the low, low chance of an enemy actually hurting you means that besides where bosses are concerned, health is rarely an issue. something new to the environments are the red barrel kills - the scripted segments that, frankly, are so out of place for the series, and usually result in the KILL-STREAK +25XP! PROMOTION TO SERGENT MAN! messages, very Call Of Duty. the classes skills are extremely overpowered from the get-go, and they like to talk, a lot - but do players need 3 ways of the game telling them that they don't have enough mana for a spell they try to use?
    then there is the wow-like art style. it completely betrays the Gothic scenery of it's predecessors, and it looks like it was made to run on a machine from 2005.
    a glaring issue is the DRM. it is absolutely deplorable that players are forced to connect to a server constantly for single player just to make sure you are the only person playing with that copy of the game. you're even at risk of being kicked for simply idling. the possibility of lag in single player is a joke and as one final laugh, the real money auction house is just legalizing Chinese item farmers. i laughed quite heartily when i was in my EB games store and saw the posters saying that the game was avaliable for purchase after 9 am, but the servers would not be up until 4:30 pm.
    like many a "AAA title" these days, a single player playthrough will generally see 6-10 hours, depending on how many side quests are squeezed out. another low point, considering the first two go for MUCH longer.
    concerning the story, it is not terrible - predictable and unpolished, not to mention blizzard still has not grown tired of old tropes, and has brought a "kerrigan" into this franchise. but passable, in all meaning of the word.

did you love the first two games?
    do you want a worthy sequel?

go soak your head in a bucket of ice water and wake up. this is selling purely on it's name, not the game.

are you looking for a flavour of the month game?
    an mmo with a focus on single player experience (TOR dead yet)?
    a calladooty with a fantasy feel?

go for it. buy it. just remember. you paid for it.
  74. May 15, 2012
    The game appears unfinished. There is a lack of character customization and depth to character development. Little things like not being able to resize or remove the chat box, map options, or the inability to customize the UI are inexcusable for a game these days. The requirement for an internet connection is obviously be a personal preference, the fact that servers have been havingThe game appears unfinished. There is a lack of character customization and depth to character development. Little things like not being able to resize or remove the chat box, map options, or the inability to customize the UI are inexcusable for a game these days. The requirement for an internet connection is obviously be a personal preference, the fact that servers have been having issues means they have taken my money and not delivered the product as promised. If this was the first time it had happened for a Blizzard game then you could understand being surprised. However since this appears to happen with all their recent releases it is another example of expecting mediocrity. The blame here lies with their management, allowing failure time and time again is a company culture that didn't use to exist at Blizzard. This proves that Blizzard is no longer Blizzard - it is Activision-Blizzard. Gone are the days of releasing games without bugs that are ready to play. Maybe their new slogan should be "We may be bad, but were better than EA" That seems to be about all I expect from them these days. Expand
  75. May 15, 2012
    5 hours to install...another 5 hours troubleshooting cause of errors in the folders...and another 5 now 6 hours of waiting to enter the server that keeps going in maintenance...buyer beware! you are at the mercy of blizzards online server!
  76. May 21, 2012
    Blizzard is having a good laugh at our expense. A complete disappointment and ripoff. Retail version was terrible to install, invasive registration process, and servers were painfully unresposive. Boxed version weighed down with a blank notepad to give the customer the "illusion" of value. My instincts were to avoid this game, but I gave in to temptation. Avoid this total waste of money,Blizzard is having a good laugh at our expense. A complete disappointment and ripoff. Retail version was terrible to install, invasive registration process, and servers were painfully unresposive. Boxed version weighed down with a blank notepad to give the customer the "illusion" of value. My instincts were to avoid this game, but I gave in to temptation. Avoid this total waste of money, I'm ashamed to have fallen for this scam. Shame on the "professional" reviewers who give this an absurd 100. !f nothing else Diablo 3 indicates which gaming sites are not trustworthy. NO way possible this game deserves a perfect score. **** YOU Joystiq! Reviewers/gamers awarding Diablo 3 with inflated scores are giving game companies the green light to r@pe consumers in the future. My rating: 5/10 for Native Mac OSX support, -5/10 everything else. Total score = 0/10. Expand
  77. May 15, 2012
    Error 37... So no singleplaying for me... So I just sit here and wait or I play another game in the meantime... I don't know... Torchlight maybe?....... 'nuff said........ I may write more and change the score if and when I'll be able to play it...
  78. May 15, 2012
    DRM was a horrible horrible decision to make. Seems Activision finally got their tainted and dirty hands around the hearts of Blizzard employees, starting with that real money auction house. Launch day was a disaster, completely and utterly. Servers down constantly or you can't log in at all. DRM requires that you be logged in and online to be able to play the single playerDRM was a horrible horrible decision to make. Seems Activision finally got their tainted and dirty hands around the hearts of Blizzard employees, starting with that real money auction house. Launch day was a disaster, completely and utterly. Servers down constantly or you can't log in at all. DRM requires that you be logged in and online to be able to play the single player version.....wait unti it goes on sale. Expand
  79. May 15, 2012
    The gameplay itself is wonderful, and I very much enjoyed it. But, what good is it if you paid and are unable to play. We've taken a day off from work and have been unable to play for ~4 hours of it due to server downtime. With the 10 years Blizzard has had to develop the game and prepare for launch, the amount of server downtime should have been minimal to none. While something likeThe gameplay itself is wonderful, and I very much enjoyed it. But, what good is it if you paid and are unable to play. We've taken a day off from work and have been unable to play for ~4 hours of it due to server downtime. With the 10 years Blizzard has had to develop the game and prepare for launch, the amount of server downtime should have been minimal to none. While something like this might be expected from a cheap, knock-off South Korean game and company, Blizzard is held (as they should be) to a much higher standard when it comes to game stability, balance, etc.

The ability to deliver a stable game on day one is disappointing. The countless hours of work the devs and artists put into this game are going to be diminished somewhat by the quality of their launch. Sorry, Blizzard.
  80. Jun 3, 2012
    Junk,back to diablo 2 .this game is for my kids who have 4 years old.to bad i'd hope to return some old memories like diablo 2 did but this one is, sorry ''crap''i tried to like this game but i just can't.the era when a game is focus on the player and not on the players money is gone.sad man very sad.they taken all.to bad that so many people hat bot it. 0 its a very big note for me anyway.
  81. May 15, 2012
    It could have been great after so many years, but Blizzard just wants to fleece us: destroying single player and LAN play, and forcing everybody to play online so we spend money in their Auction House just destroys the game, however good it can be.

Shame on you, Blizzard.
  82. May 15, 2012
    Diablo 3 is out. It took 11 years to make. The graphics look 10 years old and its only 6 hours long. But don't worry kids you can buy hats with moms credit card!
  83. May 15, 2012
    Worst diablo i ever played, short and booring. "fail blizzard has so mutch time to make this game good i but they chose their time to makes it boring "
  84. May 15, 2012
    After 10 years, I don't know how blizzard could have gone backwards with the Diablo series, while the game actually looks pretty nice, the low resolution textures are pretty bad on the eyes, even the psudo-3d of the D2 and claymation of D1 weren't as fuzzy as this. As well, the game is about 2 hours long if you speed run it, and 5 hours if you pay attention to the story, ontop of this,After 10 years, I don't know how blizzard could have gone backwards with the Diablo series, while the game actually looks pretty nice, the low resolution textures are pretty bad on the eyes, even the psudo-3d of the D2 and claymation of D1 weren't as fuzzy as this. As well, the game is about 2 hours long if you speed run it, and 5 hours if you pay attention to the story, ontop of this, always online DRM does nothing but hinder the players from actually enjoying this game, as you might see from many other player complaints, Error 37 pops up for everyone.

Ultimately, if you want a D2 sequel, this isn't it, there is 0 character customization which hinders any replayability this game would have, and with the story only being 5 hours long, weapons being useless and a shoehorned real money based economy rather then the item trade based economy of the original game, D3 is noyhing more then a disappointment, im sorry blizzard, i've been a fan for almost 20 years now, but this isn't the quality we come to expect from you, remember, gameplay is the #1 quality that makes video games what they are, but D3 is worse then the game with the same title you made more then 10 years ago.
  85. May 15, 2012
    This game is a horribly streamlined version of Diablo 2 with even less content, graphics comparable to a 2004 release, a cash shop which will cause the highest bidders to be the most powerful easy, $60 price tag despite being on PC and a ton of other things which make this just a horrible cash in on a classic title, just stick to Diablo 1-2 or any of the other clones out on the market.
  86. May 15, 2012
    In fairness, I'm not a huge fan of dungeon crawlers to begin with, but the effort by Activision wearing Blizzard's cold dead carcase here is embarrassing. The game has 5 classes, no ability to customize your character, no ability to use the keyboard for movement, glitchy mechanics that make it so you can't click to move if too many mobs are on the screen, only 2 zoom levels, no ability toIn fairness, I'm not a huge fan of dungeon crawlers to begin with, but the effort by Activision wearing Blizzard's cold dead carcase here is embarrassing. The game has 5 classes, no ability to customize your character, no ability to use the keyboard for movement, glitchy mechanics that make it so you can't click to move if too many mobs are on the screen, only 2 zoom levels, no ability to rotate your camera, graphics that look like they are from 10 years ago (running on max settings on a high end rig), a dis-interesting story line that is slow moving.

I got the game for "free" through the 1 year wow subscription and I still feel ripped off. I don't know why anyone would pay anything for this game, let alone $60+. The only point I can see to the game is to be a farmville in dungeon crawler form to let people buy stuff with real world money so Activision can skim their cut off the top. I've played games that are literally given away by their developers that are better made than this.

Add to that the fact the game can only be played online and that the servers that allow you to play (a game that runs LOCALLY) were down preventing it from being used, so you also will lose the game whenever Activision decides they've milked all they can out of this stillborn disaster.

If you want a good old school dungeon crawler, get Torchlight instead, far better game play, better graphics, better story, and far cheaper.
  87. May 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Doesn't improve on Diablo 2 at all. Really waters down the whole experience. Somehow, the game is even less than dark Diablo 2 was. (Hint, the first battle starts with a metal guitar riff)

Feels like Diablo done in the world of warcraft style. Stick with torchlight.
  88. Oct 16, 2012
    I was going to give this game a deserved 9 out of 10 ... but can't. I've managed MINIMAL game time due to server issues. I don't care what the 'DO GOODERS' keep saying about 'Have patience'. I'm sorry, I've bought Diablo 3 to play when I wanted. Blizzard have my money therefore my side of the agreement has been met. Sadly, Blizzard have FAILED to do their part. The biggest challenge isI was going to give this game a deserved 9 out of 10 ... but can't. I've managed MINIMAL game time due to server issues. I don't care what the 'DO GOODERS' keep saying about 'Have patience'. I'm sorry, I've bought Diablo 3 to play when I wanted. Blizzard have my money therefore my side of the agreement has been met. Sadly, Blizzard have FAILED to do their part. The biggest challenge is getting past the login screen. TO THE DO GOODERS ... If you bought a car and it only came with three wheels and you were told the other one will be here in a weeks time, you'd complain. You would say 'Hold on, I've paid for a car with 4 wheels'. Well that is EXACTLY what WE the NEGATIVE REVIEWERS are writing about. It's POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE and in these modern times we DESERVE more from a company who make computer games. I'm not bothered that it's day one etc etc etc. I've PAID MY MONEY and I want to PLAY THE GAME I paid for. That's the way the world works. Expand
  89. Sep 26, 2012
    I rated this game as a 6/10 shortly after release because, despite it's flaws, I felt that the game had potential and a part of me really hoped that improvements where in the pipeline, as at the time of release things like overall combat, difficulty, loot and the auction house were clearly defective.

However, after playing the game more than I really wanted to in order to give a fair score, I can honestly say that not only is D3 a bad game, it's... well, it's sort of broken my faith in gaming. It's that much of a disappointment. It's the definitive example of a company taking a franchise that was built with love and care at it's conception, and turning it into a soulless cash cow with a complete disregard to the common gamer.

The scores on Metacritic are by and large NOT trolling. The critic scores, to put it mildly, are an absolute disgrace and a clear example of an attempt to buddy up to Blizzard - a gaming megalith - for future releases.

Let me be clear - I'm a Blizzard fan, I appreciate the quality they have delivered in the past, but you have to judge D3 on it's own merits and not as a fanboy of the company.

I could go into details as to what exactly makes the game poor - such as dumbed down gameplay, mind-numbing repetition, no time spent/reward ratio, an unbearably stupid loot system which renders 99% of everything you pick up utterly useless and a profession system which I can't find a negative enough word for... but it comes down to one very simple conclusion; Diablo 3 is comfortably the most disappointing game ever. But even if you took it as a standalone title and ignored the franchise history it's still one of the worst games of the year with very few redeeming features.

Do yourself a favour - if you have fond memories of Diablo 1 & 2 and you're about to opt for D3, please don't. Keep your memories of the good times safe and sound.

And the major review sites should be ashamed of themselves - actually ashamed - as you're misleading people into parting with hard earned cash for a title that they can't even return or resell when they find out how bad it is. If DRM is part of a title, honest reviews are going to be vital in the future.
  90. May 15, 2012
    What a disappointment.
    After over a decade of waiting this is what we get?
    What a disappointment.
    After over a decade of waiting this is what we get?
    A game where the character models and overall graphics are a blurry and ugly mess that wouldn't have been acceptable 6 years ago. Where the gameplay has been reduced to left click to win and skills and attributes have been removed or simplified to increase the dependency on gear so that you'll be more likely to use the Auction House, increasing Blizzard's revenue.
    The voice acting is horrid, on par with a bad B grade movie at the best of times while the story is such a joke Stephanie Meyer could have written a better piece of fiction in 3 months and this took then 6 years.
    The always online DRM is the icing on the cake.
    I don't think I've ever been more disappointed by something I was looking forward to in my entire life.
  91. May 15, 2012
    Probably the worst game I've ever played. Does anyone else remember those fine, fine days of hours and hours of playing nothing but Diablo II back in the day? There was nothing better. Now, all of those days are ruined forever with Diablo III, which could quite possibly be the worst game I've played in the past ten years. For starters, the servers are completely broken and flawed, withProbably the worst game I've ever played. Does anyone else remember those fine, fine days of hours and hours of playing nothing but Diablo II back in the day? There was nothing better. Now, all of those days are ruined forever with Diablo III, which could quite possibly be the worst game I've played in the past ten years. For starters, the servers are completely broken and flawed, with absolutely no way to get into the game until you've waited more than 30 minutes and blown your brains out with a shotgun from the stress of yelling at your computer screen. On top of that, even when you do get into a game the gameplay is basically just a broken mess and a complete shadow of what Diablo II was. It's weak and unbearable, just sad to say the least. Do yourself a favor and never touch this pile of flaming bear crap. Instead, you might as well just burn down your local gaming retailer for simply stocking the game in the first place. Expand
  92. May 15, 2012
    Huge disappointment. The game is boring like hell. It's not diablo, it's a casual game like Actimoney knows how to make... Blizzard is definitively dead. Really sad.
  93. May 15, 2012
    If You want to waste money, this is Your choice. The game offers a wide variety of errors upon login attempts. In addition, there is no feedback whatsoever from Blizzard at their forums. DO NOT BUY!
  94. May 15, 2012
    The only score you can give a game that doesn't work is a ZERO. 12 hours after launch, I can't log in. Emergency maintenance is being performed, maybe that will fix it. If you want people to like your product, your product better be able to handle the load created by those people. Blizzard failed extremely bad with this product. Not only was it late, by about 6 months, when it finallyThe only score you can give a game that doesn't work is a ZERO. 12 hours after launch, I can't log in. Emergency maintenance is being performed, maybe that will fix it. If you want people to like your product, your product better be able to handle the load created by those people. Blizzard failed extremely bad with this product. Not only was it late, by about 6 months, when it finally does release, it doesn't work. Beyond that there are a lot of little bugs and inconsistencies in game like FPS problems and stuttering (if you manage to get in which I did for a brief period last night) that were reported when beta began yet never fixed, bartenders repairing gear but the blacksmith (who actually makes gear) can't, inaccurate tooltips and information in game and other various bugs. This is not a smooth release, this is not a finished product and hell, right now, it's not even a product at all since you can't play it. Expand
  95. May 15, 2012
    I beat the game already.
    It's so damn easy I think I'm going to have to try a no items run instead. This is what happens when they get the team from world of warcraft to make the game, instead of the team from diablo 2.
  96. May 15, 2012
    It's pretty much World of Warcraft with a higher camera angle. Did the new Blizzard devs even play the older Diablo games? The game lacks soul, the art is good but it's not gloomy - everything to too vibrant. You can tell Blizzard 2.0 could care less about voice acting, they hired people for cheap and you can hear it.
  97. May 15, 2012
    Great game. Shame no one can play it. Servers are a joke. Information about 353 pages of complaints about error 37 is a cut and paste job. Worst customer service ive seen in a long time. Terrible waste of time and money.
  98. Dai
    May 15, 2012
    The game is decent (though not quite "good"), but is crippled by the inability of the servers to handle the entirely unnecessary online-only requirement. It's a nonfunctional product at this point, and people expect better.
  99. May 15, 2012
    Nothing but an over priced copy of Torchlight but with less freedom to create your character as you desire. Save yourself $40 USD and get Torchlight 2 . All in all this is a buyer beware product and I am ashamed to admit I spent money on this game.
  100. May 15, 2012
    Very one-dimensional game, the story is weak, graphics are only a slight bit better than D2 (not what it should be given the time between these games), and most of the interesting mechanics of D2 have been dropped and replaced only with a corporate-backed gold buying. I won't even mention how you need to be connected to the internet (so you can't play on the plane, a hotel that sucks,Very one-dimensional game, the story is weak, graphics are only a slight bit better than D2 (not what it should be given the time between these games), and most of the interesting mechanics of D2 have been dropped and replaced only with a corporate-backed gold buying. I won't even mention how you need to be connected to the internet (so you can't play on the plane, a hotel that sucks, etc). The franchise is so strong that I'm sure this game will sell, but Blizzard really blew it with the one, its really a massive disappointment. Expand
  101. May 28, 2012
    So I just finished the single player campaign, Diablo is dead. Hooray. The cut scenes were fantastic, Blizzard are amazing at those and always have been! I remember playing the original Diablo and being utterly blown away by the between game animations, and the same for WOW. Okay DRM is a pain and the servers died a few times in the beginning. But I'm not going to mark the game againstSo I just finished the single player campaign, Diablo is dead. Hooray. The cut scenes were fantastic, Blizzard are amazing at those and always have been! I remember playing the original Diablo and being utterly blown away by the between game animations, and the same for WOW. Okay DRM is a pain and the servers died a few times in the beginning. But I'm not going to mark the game against these, it seems to be the way most things are heading these days. It seems very much that the game engine isn't a million miles away from WOW, and uses a lot of the same graphics which in itself isn't such a bad thing as Blizzard always carry these things of with style, regardless of the cutesy graphics. However, the cutesy graphics do mean the atmosphere is not as oppresive as it was in the original games - it definitely loses something. Just to quickly cover the basics - Diablo is a game in which you run around dungeons and kill lots of critters. The main story is of a battle between heaven and hell and you basically level up until the story takes you to the Lord Diablo himself, who has rather rudely gate crashed the eternal realm. There are lots of weapons and armour drops all the way through and really the main crux of the game is in finding bigger and better armour and weapons. Once you start playing online with other players, the level of drops soon ramps up, as well as the difficulty level of the monsters.
    Now as this is Diablo 3 you cannot review the game without comparing it to it's predecessors, the same as if you were reviewing a film, and for me this is where the game falls down. The rather high scoring critic reviews suprise me because the fact of the matter is that this game seems to have gone nowhere. It used to be a simple hack and slash click-click-click game, with a variety of spells or actions, and plenty of loot items to pick up - including scrolls, which are one off spells to casts. It is still a simple hack and slash click-click-click game except LESS variety in spells/actions and no scrolls anymore. It feels very much like the game has been dumbed down for the masses. And the thing is, it's been 10 years. TEN. That's an awful long time to spend failing to progress. And on the side Blizzard already have WOW, so they have an absolute wealth of suitable graphics to use and a wealth of experience in fantasy games. They seem to have played the hand towards nostalgia rather than innovative gaming.
    So I would have to admit to being somewhat gutted about this game. It isn't awful, it just isn't new. And from an absolute powerhouse like Blizzard, I expect much more in terms of innovation and creativity, and I certainly don't expect them to move backwards in terms of complexity being as the first two games were not complex. And sadly it does seem to me that Blizzard are becoming more of a money making organisation than a serious developer of top quality games, especially after announcing their real money auction house. It is that great travesty of business and advertising - it ruins everything it comes into contact with. And Blizzard are slowly turning into a business enterprise, not a game developer. Many of the user reviews are scathing hit backs at the painful DRM system (meaning you cannot play single player without being online), which is perfectly understandable as it makes no sense to be online when you want to play by yourself. But I am much more upset about the lack of progress since Diablo II. Whoever came up with Diablo in the first instance was an absolute genius, and it was an amazing game. Whoever got hold of the license and created Diablo 3 should have doubled that genius with more involving and complex gameplay - they already had a great engine to work with! Instead, they seem to have lazily rehashed the game. It is addictive, that can't be denied, but if it was a piece of homework it would definitely have 'see me' written on it in red writing.

1. Aug 31, 2012