4.0

1. May 15, 2012
    Very one-dimensional game, the story is weak, graphics are only a slight bit better than D2 (not what it should be given the time between these games), and most of the interesting mechanics of D2 have been dropped and replaced only with a corporate-backed gold buying. I won't even mention how you need to be connected to the internet (so you can't play on the plane, a hotel that sucks,Very one-dimensional game, the story is weak, graphics are only a slight bit better than D2 (not what it should be given the time between these games), and most of the interesting mechanics of D2 have been dropped and replaced only with a corporate-backed gold buying. I won't even mention how you need to be connected to the internet (so you can't play on the plane, a hotel that sucks, etc). The franchise is so strong that I'm sure this game will sell, but Blizzard really blew it with the one, its really a massive disappointment. Expand
  2. May 15, 2012
    A game best worth avoiding. 12 years in the making and all that Diablo 3 shows us is a graphical update from the previous game. The game doesn't "feel" like a Diablo game, it feels rough around the edges and poorly optimized like they were rushed to get it out. Oddly enough a game with a completely different art style plays more like a Diablo game is Torchlight 2, currently $20 on steamA game best worth avoiding. 12 years in the making and all that Diablo 3 shows us is a graphical update from the previous game. The game doesn't "feel" like a Diablo game, it feels rough around the edges and poorly optimized like they were rushed to get it out. Oddly enough a game with a completely different art style plays more like a Diablo game is Torchlight 2, currently $20 on steam with TL1 for free.

It is obvious though that Blizzard are neutering the potential of the Diablo franchise because they do not want to directly compete with their cash cow World of Warcraft. I expect the upcoming Diablo expansions to add functionality to the game that really should already be here. Blizzard's classic rehashing content at ridiculous levels with more difficulty levels than necessary, note Blizzard, adding more HP and damage to minions isn't really enjoyable game play. It's tedious, which is a word I'll use to describe this game. Is it worth $60? No. Is it worth $30? No. Is it enjoyable? No.
  3. May 18, 2012
    Diablo 3... What can I say? DRM ruined you and I can't wait for a pirated version to come out, so that I CAN PLAY THE GAME I BOUGHT! Blizzard are a bunch of greedy c0nts and I will never buy another game from them. This fiasco justifies pirating - just like the annoying anti-piracy ads on Blurays / DVDs that actually encourage me to download "clean" copies of things I can play immediately.Diablo 3... What can I say? DRM ruined you and I can't wait for a pirated version to come out, so that I CAN PLAY THE GAME I BOUGHT! Blizzard are a bunch of greedy c0nts and I will never buy another game from them. This fiasco justifies pirating - just like the annoying anti-piracy ads on Blurays / DVDs that actually encourage me to download "clean" copies of things I can play immediately. I wish I had refrained from purchasing yesterday - speaking of which, why is it that you charge $US60 for a digital download and $AUS80 when $US1 = $AUS1? This will be the last Blizzard game I buy. Torchlight 2 however, I will buy multiple copies of to give to friends and family because they don't treat their customers like dirt. Go die in a ditch Blizzard! To the fanbois whining about people giving a bad review on launch day, and to settle down, It's day 4 and people still can't play a game they bought - oh wait licensed from Blizzard. Greedy c0nts! Expand
  4. Aug 11, 2012
    I'm updating my score from a 1 to a 5 in anticipation of patch 1.0.4. I truly hope this patch will bring out the game that we all paid $60-$100 for. Below are the preview details of patch 1.0.4 - release date is still unknown.

System Changes, by Wyatt Cheng Senior Technical Game Designer Wyatt Cheng is preparing a high-level summary of some of the system changes planned for 1.0.4.

System Changes, by Wyatt Cheng

Legendary Item Improvements, by Andrew Chambers
    Senior Game Designer Andrew Chambers is working on a blog detailing all the ways we
  5. May 15, 2012
    Don't waste your time and money on this game. It's not even close to Diablo 2 or even Diablo 1. Blizzard is just trying to use it's famous title to milk customers.
  6. May 15, 2012
    Purchased, unable to log in even once in 12 hours. This would be counted as fraud in any other industry but for some reason on this game I intend to play single player it's 'to be expected', just terrible.
  7. JLF
    May 15, 2012
    As was expected, the game is way below it's predecessor. Constant connection requirement, real money auction house, 4 player maximum, cartoonish art style, bans for using display sharpening software and 2 hour short game are only the tip of the iceberg.
    With this installment, ActivisionBlizzard have finally secured themselves a spot in my top 5 most hated developer list.
  8. May 30, 2012
    This game review is serious. Serious as is serious the real world. This game may be fantastic or very addictive, it may be beautiful. But all that doesn't matter at all, because this game isn't ethic.

At a very high price (60$) for PC standards, this game ends with the player's freedom. At launch, we met tons of server problems and many players couldn't play at day 1. Even after that, some days servers are still down for "maintenance" and you cannot play the game that you bought legitlly. Not happy with that, Blizzard probably will launch lots of DLC and the total cost of this game may surpass 100$ easily. And the worst thing: the real money auction house. For each transaction, they win a % of the money. With that simple principe, they could win money over the years without any need to do another game or do anything at all. And the worst scenario: some day, they'll close the servers and we'll be unable to play anymore because of the DRM system. With all this facts, Blizzard is calling me stupid, and I'm saying "Yes, I am" just for giving them their 60$. But not anymore, this has to end. Companies like EA, Activision and now Blizzard think they can do whatever they want, that they can steal their users, that money is the only thing that matters. That's way this game deserves a 0. In a normal scenario, proabably I could give it a 7 (because of the step back from Diablo 2 in some ways), but not as it is right now. And remember, my 0 could be unreal, but is just as unreal as all those 10's (no game is perfect).
  9. May 15, 2012
    No customizable characters? That's so 2000. This game is based on loot, and you want characters where that loot looks pretty on.
    This game has nothing that any other H&S game has...well, the RealMoneyAH that the majority doesn't want anyways.
    This is probably the worst disappointment since Duke Nukem Forever. I'd give this game a 1 for the nice music during the installation, but

This is probably the worst disappointment since Duke Nukem Forever.

I'd give this game a 1 for the nice music during the installation, but considering the fact that I haven't been able to log in half of the time I wanted to play, its getting a 0.

A Guinness entry for the possibly worst release in game history would be appropriate. Thanks to OnlineOnly, of course.
  10. May 15, 2012
    If I try too hard to not think about getting constant DCs because of the game's online only requirement although I play SP, I can't even give it a 1. With very cheesy dialogues, story, awful graphics and musics, no customization, non-existent difficulty, poorly designed items and happy atmosphere; this is not even a mediocre game. And Diablo 3 only has the title of "Diablo" on it. It'sIf I try too hard to not think about getting constant DCs because of the game's online only requirement although I play SP, I can't even give it a 1. With very cheesy dialogues, story, awful graphics and musics, no customization, non-existent difficulty, poorly designed items and happy atmosphere; this is not even a mediocre game. And Diablo 3 only has the title of "Diablo" on it. It's definitely not a Diablo game and it doesn't plays or feels like a Diablo game.

Worse than Nuke Dukem fiasco.
  11. May 15, 2012
    It has been a day and the game at no point has been playable. This is totally unacceptable. I played the beta and it was decent, but having to depend on the random nature of the servers to actually play the thing is intolerable.
  12. May 15, 2012
    Really doesn't feel worthy of the Diablo title. Just way too disappointing. Feels like yet another development pushed forward only because the developers knew it would rake in the dough almost as much as a new cod game. The creativity and feel of adventure is gone in place of a cheap thrill that wasn't even at all cheap.
  13. May 15, 2012
    Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. Ridiculously expensive, boring gameplay and ugly looking. Diablo 3 is utter mess and i cant recommend it to anyone.
  14. May 15, 2012
    It's sad when one of those games that you've been looking forward to turns out to be a total disappointment. From DRM to "always online" policy I feel like Blizzard is treating ME the CUSTOMER as a criminal. Why should I have to deal with further restrictions because somebody MIGHT pirate the game? You can't stop pirates Blizzard, 50 bucks says that your DRM methods will be cracked in aIt's sad when one of those games that you've been looking forward to turns out to be a total disappointment. From DRM to "always online" policy I feel like Blizzard is treating ME the CUSTOMER as a criminal. Why should I have to deal with further restrictions because somebody MIGHT pirate the game? You can't stop pirates Blizzard, 50 bucks says that your DRM methods will be cracked in a week, and it only made it a pain in the ass for the people who supported your damn game. Furthermore, the game's combat (and other gameplay additions), graphics, and length are a total disappointment. It's literally just a copy + pasted artstyle from World of Warcraft, which is a complete disgrace when you take into accordance the artstyle used in previous Diablo games. The combat is pathetically easy, even on the hardest difficulty, but that's not the huge issue with the gameplay. You can't allocate your own skill points because Blizzard thinks it's audience is stupid, and you can only have up to 4 friends in a map with you at one time. I'm sorry Blizzard, but now I kind of feel like a **** for lending some money to friends for this game, now I can't even play with them. And PvP isn't even on release! What the hell? PvP MADE Diablo 2. And let's not forget the pathetic running time for this game, some koreans did a blind run of Diablo 3 and beat the game in 6 hours. I beat it in 8. Thoroughly disappointed, and I laugh at the "10" reviews that claim this game is perfection and call people who actually criticize the game (for want of better quality) "trolls". I actually put thought and actual valid complaints about the game, when they're only explanation for the "10" is "IGNORE THE TROLLS".

Hah!
  15. May 20, 2012
    Most of us are acting on emotion while reviewing Diablo 3. We need to take in consideration that DRM is a bit like Politics. We hate it sometimes, but it's there for a reason. I play games off-line, I play single player. Sure, I spent quite a lot of time online as well, but I do not like being forced to play online. It's a matter of personal preference. So, let me put it out of the way,Most of us are acting on emotion while reviewing Diablo 3. We need to take in consideration that DRM is a bit like Politics. We hate it sometimes, but it's there for a reason. I play games off-line, I play single player. Sure, I spent quite a lot of time online as well, but I do not like being forced to play online. It's a matter of personal preference. So, let me put it out of the way, Blizzard made a huge mistake with their online-only stance, but with their pedigree, I'm sure they will iron out the problems in due time. Now, on to the review of the actual game (error 37 not included).

Diablo 3 brings something new to the table for ARPGs. A complete reworking of the RPG part in your ARPG. When your character level up, the stats are applied automatically, and you unlock new abilities or runes which change how these abilities work. And since you can only use 1 ability of each tree (varies according to your class), you have usually 6 abilities at your disposal and a huge amount of combination that can change the type of character you are. For example, the Demon Hunter can be a beast when fighting swarm of enemies with one combination or a boss killer with another combination.

Graphics and Sounds are below average in my honest opinion. The music is not memorable, the combat sound is great, the graphics well it's decent but could have been better, and the combat animation just fail horribly. Animation varies according to your ability rather than which weapon is equipped. So don't be surprised to see a wizard wield a 2h sword like a golf club when casting spell. Also, it doesn't make any sense for a lot of characters to be able to use some weapons, when they don't even have the ability or animation to use them like the Monk.

Gameplay is amazing thanks to the revamped RPG system. Dungeons are grim (Act 1 had some of the best dungeons in the game), the world is beautifully designed though a bit small compared to the likes of Sacred 2 or Titan Quest. The boss fights are amazing; Act 2's end boss is just a runner up for one of the best boss battle in an ARPG. Loot are plentiful to find, and with a little bit of help from equipment with X% of finding magical items, you bet your gold coins you will pick up some wonderful things on a regular basis.

Now the story. First, let me say this. I don't like Leah. She looks like a little girl from an japanese cartoon or anime. Are you telling me that's the best character design blizzard could come up with for the woman that grew up with Deckard "Stay a while and Listen" Cain? Also, why is she not a be more, you know, badass having to live with that old man since her childhood? Tyrael is awesome, Adria is one milf, the side kicks are fun to have around except for that sorceress who suffers from innocent-flower-syndrome, and Lyndon is just too awesome for his mustache. Overall, the story doesn't let you down provided you pay attention to all the details so that you don't end up asking silly questions like "is Diablo a lady?".

To conclude, it's a good game. It has awful DRM. And probably deserves the 0 it's receiving, but it's unfair towards the people who designed this game to just rate down the game based on strong emotions. It's justified. We paid for a product, we expect to be able to use said product. But that said, think of the developers. They are not our enemies; corporate greed is.
  16. May 15, 2012
    A very disappointing game for a hardcore D2 fan like me. Customization is very boring compared to D2, and the cartoony feel of the game is just horrible. For me D1 and D2 had a dark, gritty feel, and a realistic feel even though the graphics of the time were incapable of producing "real" realism. I expected this game to look and feel great, but the soundtrack is the only thing that isA very disappointing game for a hardcore D2 fan like me. Customization is very boring compared to D2, and the cartoony feel of the game is just horrible. For me D1 and D2 had a dark, gritty feel, and a realistic feel even though the graphics of the time were incapable of producing "real" realism. I expected this game to look and feel great, but the soundtrack is the only thing that is good. How come FPS games are becoming more and more realistic, but hack & slash RPG's are going in the opposite direction? I hoped for a serious and dark game, but D3 vs D2 is like Batman from 1966 vs The Dark Knight. Expand
  17. May 22, 2012
    I originally gave the game a 3, but now it's getting the lowest score possible. For all the sheep who call themselves game reviewers, I ask a few questions:

1. Should a game with a failed launch get a 100% score? 2. Should a game that can't protect its player's online security get a 100% score? 3. Should a game that is a re-hash of the last two games get a 100% score? 4. Should a

1. Should a game with a failed launch get a 100% score?
    3. Should a game that is a re-hash of the last two games get a 100% score?
    4. Should a game with graphics that look 10 years old get a 100% score?
    5. Should a game with SINGLEPLAYER LAG get a 100% score?

At some point, someone needs to start a site that reviews game reviewers, because they are so corrupt and beholden to their Super Seekrit Backstage Passes at industry events that they can no longer give reviews.

If any other company had created this pile of steaming doo, it would not be getting a 90 metacritic. It would be getting a low 70's. Diablo 3 is a perfect expression of everything that is wrong with the gaming press. It's time someone shines a light on it and start embarrassing these sheeple.
  18. May 27, 2012
    After seeing those so called critic reviews that keep praising and buffing products for markets. Had to write second review because i am really worried about unprofessionalism of critics. They are not making any comment about games features just raising the product to almost godhood. That's mainly because good name of company, 2 of those so called professional critics gave mixed review.After seeing those so called critic reviews that keep praising and buffing products for markets. Had to write second review because i am really worried about unprofessionalism of critics. They are not making any comment about games features just raising the product to almost godhood. That's mainly because good name of company, 2 of those so called professional critics gave mixed review. This is really worrying effect how critics are not having critical reviews only marketing speeches.

So lets get to the actual review played this game through with one character. Second play though with harder difficulty found game to be boring. As for even wanting to level any character again to level 60 whats the point in that skills come as progress levels. So there is no reason for that. This is mainly because really none of customization you can do talent or attribute wise its just all about gear you wear.

Also because they actually released "online or no play game" i keep getting constantly dc:t from game which actually shows how greedy this Blizzard company actually is. Game is just basically unplayable for those that get disconnected about every 5 mins to 30 minutes. I have actually done more tweaking to my security firewalls etc for this game than to any other games and it still has serious issues. Almost always when you actually try to get answers from technical support problems are on your side not their precious servers or product. They start "you could try..." its not consumers job to make game work. There should be some pride for game developers to make working game.

So good advice for all that are playing games around world never ever pre-order game, never buy those cheesy priced collectors editions or limited (luckily i did buy only standard edition) and most off all always wait about 6 to 12 months after release to get actually patched up game. Mainly never read what these so marketing critics write about game they tend to go overboard praising the series or company that made game.

In old good days of gaming we did not have DRM only cd-keys to check your games legality. All gamers suffer because too protective developers making every even single/ multiplayer games requiring internet connection. This game should had some kinda offline mode for that cannot have access to internet 24/7.
  19. May 15, 2012
    The game plays smoothly and is easy to pick up and learn. However, contrary to the hype surrounding the recent re-emergence of the "triple-A" series Diablo, this one falls short in terms of storyline, gameplay and user convenience when put next to its predecessor Diablo II. A long (but not exhaustive) list of changes that has bothered me follows:

Players are required to log online even if

Players are required to log online even if they only need to play single player, the player count in any given game has been reduced from 1-8 to 1-4, an in-game cash shop that gives players more power in exchange for real-life currency, the exclusion of a PvP system at release, exclusion of special death animations (that were seen in several alpha videos), an extremely streamlined character development system which limits player creativity/choice in where they want to specialize, a cheesy storyline/dialogue that looks like it belongs more on a Saturday morning cartoon show than on a Mature-rated game and finally, the World of Warcraft-like artstyle and hand-holding quest system which failed to immerse me in an unholy, desolate world like in the past games...

Personally, I believe Diablo III is more of a new concept for a commercial product to satisfy stock holders than an actual hit game made by people who actually love games and therefore has no long-lasting appeal or value to me. Let us see instead what other independent game developers can do in the Action-RPG department.
  20. May 15, 2012
    Nothing says evil like a Witch Doctor shooting toads, complete **** on the series. What happened to Diablo? A free game called Path of Exile does a better job at capturing the series.
  21. May 15, 2012
    Diablo 3 is so boring you would have more fun at a bingo hall. Also the connection problems at launch are awful and show how incompetent Blizzard is. The graphics in game are also not close to what a Diablo game should look like.
  22. May 15, 2012
    Decade of experience running online games to have the game fail to launch ON SINGLE PLAYER due to their network. They took everything that was Diablo and flushed it down the toilet, from gameplay to graphics.
  23. May 16, 2012
    Common guys, why don't you simply skip the game and send a message?

Common guys, why don't you simply skip the game and send a message?

It was known for a long time: single player totally f****d, no stats, skills and runes, 60$ price tag for unknown reason and finaly no demo, guest passes instead. DRM is more than enough to not buy the game, and the rest is not much better. It was clear before release that you get the game for children with special needs who can't distribute 5 points in 4 stats
  24. May 15, 2012
    WTF is this game? Buggy and with only 5 simple clases? The most Simple and cheap MMO and RPG have more than 10, and a little bunch of skills? What kind of joke is this? This Game FAIL MISSERABLY, all others diablo are superior, only graphics are distintive. And Bugs! I cant connect, what is this?? Blizzards only want money from our pockets.
  25. May 15, 2012
    Lobotomized stats system; dumbed-down skills system; artistic style in the form of warm, pastel, childrens' story-book illustrations rather than a seedy, musky, murky, dank, dark and cold realistic gothic aesthetic (to win-over their Warcraft customer base, rather than for sensible reasons of coherent artistic vision); no offline-play, no real single-player, dumbed down runes, itemization,Lobotomized stats system; dumbed-down skills system; artistic style in the form of warm, pastel, childrens' story-book illustrations rather than a seedy, musky, murky, dank, dark and cold realistic gothic aesthetic (to win-over their Warcraft customer base, rather than for sensible reasons of coherent artistic vision); no offline-play, no real single-player, dumbed down runes, itemization, and health systems? Overly-easy, banal gameplay? The world lacks feeling; there is a loss of the atmospheric mood of the previous games - and my character doesn't feel like my own, because it's not customizable (in the interests of "accessibility"? I'm out. Blizzard established three new, thoughtful IPs in '94, '96 and '98. It's not 2012 and not only have they done nothing new, but the sequels themselves are even starting to be poor shadows of their legacy. I have no doubt it will sell well, but some of us define success on more meaningful terms. I'm out.

Accidentally rated 10 before...
  26. May 16, 2012
    I'm a bit disappointed by this game. The gameplay is still pure hack'n'slay, but that's it. Nothing new to add a strategic value to this game. I would compare this game to the hundreds of "korea-grinders" and that's it.
    Nothing to seperate form any F2P mmorpg game (the auction house generates the profit for blizzard here). The only reason this sells for money is the franchise. - I think it's an solid game, but not "good". It simply lacks of complexity and customization of your characters. Graphics are very simple, but this means it runs an almost any better calculator (tested it on a AMD E-350 based NetBook at medium settings).
  27. May 15, 2012
    I expected more after so long in development. With maxed out graphics @ 1920x1080 this game still looks kinda old and ugly in my opinion. Graphics are from 2007-2008 or so I'd say. It's moderately entertaining for a while although honestly I'm tiring of it already after 1 day. It might have gotten 5/10 instead of 4/10 but the price is too high. Also, I haven't taken into consideration theI expected more after so long in development. With maxed out graphics @ 1920x1080 this game still looks kinda old and ugly in my opinion. Graphics are from 2007-2008 or so I'd say. It's moderately entertaining for a while although honestly I'm tiring of it already after 1 day. It might have gotten 5/10 instead of 4/10 but the price is too high. Also, I haven't taken into consideration the login problems alot of people have or it would have been 2/10. So don't believe the hype about D3, it's an ok game nothing more (except for grapics wich suck). If you consider getting it atleast wait until the price drops and they've fixed the problems so you can actually log in and play. Expand
  28. May 15, 2012
    The intrusive access control known as DRM(Digital Rights Management) is what really is hurting the game here. Not only due to the train-wreck of a launch, but because you can not even play this game without an Internet connection. This crippling form of security serves no purpose other than agitating and frustrate legitimate customers. The pirates will always find a way around, it likeThe intrusive access control known as DRM(Digital Rights Management) is what really is hurting the game here. Not only due to the train-wreck of a launch, but because you can not even play this game without an Internet connection. This crippling form of security serves no purpose other than agitating and frustrate legitimate customers. The pirates will always find a way around, it like they always do, even if that means emulating servers or similar shenanigans. Meanwhile we have to deal with potential latency issues and the worry of getting disconnected while playing what could very well be a single player game. The removal of the option of playing over a local area network is also very much deplorable and it is obviously due to the inclusion of the DRM and forced online play.

Another negative thing is the issue of having a cash shop in what essentially could be considered a single player game. The fact that there is a pay-to-win cash shop if you choose to play online is itself not an issue. But Blizzard's way of legalizing gold farming and RMT merely for them to earn a bit of money from every transaction does leave a very bad taste in my mouth.

The visual aesthetics are in my opinion quite unappealing and from a technical standpoint the graphics are pretty lacking as low resolution textures are hidden behind bloom and blurr. Granted, this may not be something deal breaking for most people; but for a game which has been in development for as long as Diablo 3 has, one should not be faulted for having expected something better.
  29. May 15, 2012
    I have paid for a game and can not even start a single player!? What exactly is on that disc?! It is a sick joke... Give my money and wasted time back!
  30. May 15, 2012
    Diablo 3 is hardly a true successor to D1 and D2. The game is aimed to draw in a younger generation and people who never played the Diablo series before. This comes in the form of eliminating every metagame in both D1 and D2. The reason why D1 and D2 is fun is because it's both challenging and re-playable. Figuring out the attribute system, finding rare loot - every single character youDiablo 3 is hardly a true successor to D1 and D2. The game is aimed to draw in a younger generation and people who never played the Diablo series before. This comes in the form of eliminating every metagame in both D1 and D2. The reason why D1 and D2 is fun is because it's both challenging and re-playable. Figuring out the attribute system, finding rare loot - every single character you created is unique in that sense. In Diablo 3, all of this is bypassed with its flawed cookie-cutter system of the previous games. The "pay-to-win" system allows people who are spoiled to be better than people who are dedicated to the game. Every character ends up the same with the fixed attribute/skill system. This makes partying with two or more of the same character redundant and makes the end-game of level 60 to be repetitive. There is no reason to grind the game (yes, we all did that for D1 and D2) and to find rare loot when someone can buy the same items easily. There also doesn't seem to be a lot of unique rare items - scrolling through the auction house. The graphics are never problem in a game. However, the Diablo 3 theme is distracting compared to the that of D1 and D2. The games are supposed to be gothic, and about hell. What is with all these serene walk-in-the-park areas, and enemies that look laughable and ripped out of of the WoW universe? And the game is short. Without the grinding incentive, the 4 acts (if you can even consider the 4th act a proper act) are completed with my friends in less than 8 hours. Don't fall for the hype generated by D3. This game is nothing like the other games and is not recommended if you're a fan of the series. I don't even mind the numerous errors with the servers, or odd glitches here and there. I don't even care if the Monk class is a little overpowered compared to the other classes. This is just not a Diablo game. It's a normal hack-and-slash game targeted at newcomers, and I'll look at it as just that. Get the game if it's on a discount but not for the 80 dollars I had to pay for it. Expand
  31. May 16, 2012
    A solid meh. Without ranting about server issues, you click things and they die. Sometimes when there are a lot of things you press a number and/or q and continue clicking things. The setting, atmosphere and story is alright but not good enough to make up for the repetitive gameplay.
  32. May 15, 2012
    After having spent the better part of a day playing Diablo 3, I am disappointed to say that it has not lived up to the promise we would expect from a company of Blizzard's eminence. The visual style is, I can say it no more gently, generic. The uniqueness of design that once made Blizzard iconic has been aped and copied so often that its impact here has been diluted. The audio design isAfter having spent the better part of a day playing Diablo 3, I am disappointed to say that it has not lived up to the promise we would expect from a company of Blizzard's eminence. The visual style is, I can say it no more gently, generic. The uniqueness of design that once made Blizzard iconic has been aped and copied so often that its impact here has been diluted. The audio design is pretty standard fare. The music isn't bad, but at no point is it riveting. The gameplay is hack-and-slash--and really, that's about it. You kill things, you loot things, you upgrade your character. Somehow they have managed to take what was most memorable about this game's predecessors and turn it into a chore. The harder modes are difficult, yes--in the same way that driving with a blindfold on is difficult. Rather than legitimately increasing the difficulty, they just stat-pad the enemies and buff all their attacks. This is the kind of cheap trickery I expect from arcade fighting games, not action-RPGs. One "feature" that I find a horrible detriment is requiring a constant connection to Blizzard's servers. Though I haven't had much difficulty logging in, others have consistently seen "Error 37", indicating an inability to connect to said servers. If Blizzard wishes to enact Draconian DRM, so be it; but if they make it a prerequisite to playing the game, they are damn well obligated to ensure that it works, and that it works all the time. Ubisoft tried this, and it didn't work for them. The multiplayer portion of the game is basically the single player, but with other people added. This can be great if you know them and want to talk to them. Otherwise, it's really not much different than playing with bots. I can honestly say that Gauntlet Legends was more entertaining from a multiplayer perspective than Diablo 3. There is a measure of expectation gamers have created for this title. They have built it up in their minds to being something it could never hope to be; this isn't the Second Coming of action-RPGs. That's what's even more disappointing. To measure this game strictly by its own merits, it is still severely lacking. The inability to consistently play, the mediocrity of its design, all of this add up to a game which is really quite...standard. The only thing bringing the score down is this ridiculous DRM. In the coming weeks, I'm sure someone will find a way to break it.

And do you know what that means?

That means the only people playing the game without enduring "Error 37" are the people who didn't even pay for it. That's just bad service, and THAT is unforgivable.
  33. May 15, 2012
    So far I'm a little unsure about the game. As a hardcore Diablo II fan, I really miss the level of skill customization that D2 offered, but to be honest, I'm glad the real world PvP has been gotten rid of (going into a game just to have somebody come in and hostile you is anything but fun, and it really ruined the fun of public games not intended for duelling). On the other hand, there areSo far I'm a little unsure about the game. As a hardcore Diablo II fan, I really miss the level of skill customization that D2 offered, but to be honest, I'm glad the real world PvP has been gotten rid of (going into a game just to have somebody come in and hostile you is anything but fun, and it really ruined the fun of public games not intended for duelling). On the other hand, there are some positives in this game that diablo 2 really lacked. I just can't in good conscience give it over a 6/10 though, because there just isn't enough customization possible (there seems to be one IDEAL skill path and a bunch of not ideal paths), and they still insist on there being no offline play (I don't want to REQUIRE an internet connection to play some single player, what the hell.). Expand
  34. May 15, 2012
    Considering the game launched almost 2 days ago now and we still can't login or play it - no word from Blizzard at all. No updates. Besides a generic notice.

So if this is Blizzard's Diablo3, well it's complete trash.
  35. May 17, 2012
    It's Spore all over again. The game isn't really bad, it gets good reviews by critics, but there's something so terribly wrong with it. Let me start out by stating how shocked I am that this game has received universally positive reviews, many stating that it has improved upon its predecessor. Have any of these critics even played Diablo 2? This game eliminates much of what made itsIt's Spore all over again. The game isn't really bad, it gets good reviews by critics, but there's something so terribly wrong with it. Let me start out by stating how shocked I am that this game has received universally positive reviews, many stating that it has improved upon its predecessor. Have any of these critics even played Diablo 2? This game eliminates much of what made its predecessor great.

Here's a list of things that displease me:

-No more choice when leveling your character. Everything unlocks automatically
    -You can't distribute skill points

-Items have, for the most part, the same size. You can carry many more things than you could in Diablo 2. Some people might like this better, but it makes things feel less valuable.
    -No more scrolls of town portal. You have to use waypoints.
    -Potion healing is drastically changed.
    -You can't actually use your weapon when you feel like it. As in, the game doesn't allow you to swing your weapon if you feel like it with certain classes.
    -I don't think the graphics are bad, but they don't fit the atmosphere. Whereas the first one was dark and gritty, this one seems cartoonish. -The writing is uninspired and has that "oh look at me I'm so epic" quality that I've noticed is becoming increasingly common in Blizzard games

Overrall, the game just feels watered down and simplified. Some people disagree with me and are having the time of their lives. All I know is that I wasn't having fun even after a few hours of playing.
  36. May 16, 2012
    Finding it hard to play with fairy land version of 2002 graphics. The immersion of the graphics to a game style as diablo is pretty key. Pretty sad when the richest company cant even work that out. I saw make another warcraft (not wow) and bring it back to your fans. Grow a brain over there
  37. May 15, 2012
    Regardless of the outdated graphic and gameplay. The worst is 11 hours past , still cant play. Blizzard, you make this game for nine years, nine years! And here comes an unplayable online game? Shame on you!
  38. May 15, 2012
    Game is a absolute, utter, disappointment. The entire BETA was spend fixing their paid auction house and it shows. The gameplay it self is horrible, dumbed down, and hand holding. The framework is terrible, not only requiring a constant internet connection to play single player, but the game dials home and waits for a response every. single. attack. Any attack that hits more then 3Game is a absolute, utter, disappointment. The entire BETA was spend fixing their paid auction house and it shows. The gameplay it self is horrible, dumbed down, and hand holding. The framework is terrible, not only requiring a constant internet connection to play single player, but the game dials home and waits for a response every. single. attack. Any attack that hits more then 3 things lags with micro stutter. Expand
  39. May 15, 2012
    With the purchase of the game completed, one would expect to be able to play it. Not if Blizzard has their say. Don't waste your money on a game that won't let you play it.
  40. May 15, 2012
    After 2 hours of gameplay, my first impressions are not that good. Granted only 2 hours. First of all, I'm on single player and have had no server issues. I'm not a "DRM" issue guy, so that stuff doesn't affect me one way or the other. I'm also fine with the graphics; I'd rather be able to play a good game on a half-assed computer than be forced to buy a new machine just to play it. ButAfter 2 hours of gameplay, my first impressions are not that good. Granted only 2 hours. First of all, I'm on single player and have had no server issues. I'm not a "DRM" issue guy, so that stuff doesn't affect me one way or the other. I'm also fine with the graphics; I'd rather be able to play a good game on a half-assed computer than be forced to buy a new machine just to play it. But this game appears to be truly dumbed-down from D2. My initial impression is that every barbarian will play just like every other barbarian. There is no stat distribution, and in place of skill trees (which rewarded point saving), you simply unlock the next skill. In D2 you could play one class many different ways, in D3 every witch doctor looks like the next. this is unforgivable coming from Blizzard. This is not an action RPG, it's just action. I'm hoping, after 20 or 30 hours of gameplay, to be won over. But I'm not holding my breath. Expand
  41. May 15, 2012
    I'm a fan of Diablo 2 and many of the Diablo 2 clones largely because they're all similar while Diablo 3 have added a bunch of features to try stand out and by doing so have turned it into an ugly, casual baby game. The franchise once known for witchcraft, demons and gore isn't even rated an 18+ anymore! Blizzard are well aware their fans from World of Warcraft will buy any cash in theyI'm a fan of Diablo 2 and many of the Diablo 2 clones largely because they're all similar while Diablo 3 have added a bunch of features to try stand out and by doing so have turned it into an ugly, casual baby game. The franchise once known for witchcraft, demons and gore isn't even rated an 18+ anymore! Blizzard are well aware their fans from World of Warcraft will buy any cash in they throw at them but this time have made the game exceptionally easy to keep them playing to milk them for more money with the ridiculous ingame cash shop. The cash shop being the biggest reason this game is getting a big fat zero from me. Cash shops are only allowed in games that didn't cost anything to play in the first place and even then should only sell cosmetic items while with Diablo 3 not only are they over charging for a PC game they're going to push players into continuously spending a lot of money to buy the best weapons which will kill any fun or motive to dungeon crawl to find loot which is exactly what these games are all about. Expand
  42. May 15, 2012
    Terrible DRM that requires you to be online and then terrible support from Blizzard at keeping the servers online and actually allowing people to play, or better said not allowing since they did piss poor job at making descent servers. No character customization in 2012, arguably Diablo 2 looks better/less blurry at times, no lan, no pvp or proper pvp after they add arena.
    Not a good game.
  43. May 15, 2012
    Gameplay is boring. The storyline of Diablo 3 isn't very well done and it's very sub-par compared to Diablo 2. The graphics are not modern and are on the same level as PS1 game. The gameplay is not great either. It's been very simplified compared to Diablo 2 and the Real Money Auction House is a let down. Overall, I'm not happy with Diablo 3.
  44. May 16, 2012
    I'm sorry to say that I'm not overly impressed with this return to a classic franchise. I'm not biased by being either a blizzard fanboy or hater here, just a gamer and worker in the industry and I used to be very proud of working on one of the games that Diablo bounced off of back in the day.

In fairness, before I continue, I have to say that it is hard to innovate with a product with the kind of established formula that made the originals so much fun. It's difficult to walk the line between making changes that are acceptible to new players without cutting elements that were enjoyed by old fans.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like blizzard actually tried.

Diablo 3 is an ok game, its reasonably pretty whilst retaining enough of a dated feel that you feel as if you are still playing the same franchise, and thats it. If players are able to complete the game in under 7 hours as they are reportedly doing, then its a safe bet to say that there hasnt been a significant increase in the amount of actual content...

In truth this doesnt feel like a new game. It feels like Diablo 2, rigged to work on direct x 9 at a slightly higher resolution, with voice actors and a cash shop.

And there we come to the crux of it - I already get the impression this was less about the game, and more about making money from commission on item sales. If it takes off, I'm sure blizzard will take the knowledge learned from this product test, and apply it elsewhere.

The most impressive aspect about this title for me, at least, was seeing how badly the gaming community has been pre-conditioned to accept what was an abysmal product launch with terrible community management, where in other industries directors would be fired, stocks dropped and people held publicly accountable. Even more concerning the fact that the community management seemed to rely on fans to shout down the backlash from the people who tried to highlight this very issue..

All in all, its an ok game, a nice reminder of earlier years, but not worth the heafty price tag. Caveat Emptor dear reader, do not be fooled into believing this is anything other than another corporate cash cow for an already highly skilled company of "milkmen"...
  45. May 15, 2012
    Blizzard has handled the whole thing very poorly. First off, I have to mention the DRM. What a **** absolute disgrace!!! I have to stay connected to the internet at all times?! To play the game?! In SINGLE-PLAYER?! WHAT. THE. **** Please don't give any reason to support their DRM. Please don't say it stops scammers and hackers, because if you do so then you're the biggest moron that everBlizzard has handled the whole thing very poorly. First off, I have to mention the DRM. What a **** absolute disgrace!!! I have to stay connected to the internet at all times?! To play the game?! In SINGLE-PLAYER?! WHAT. THE. **** Please don't give any reason to support their DRM. Please don't say it stops scammers and hackers, because if you do so then you're the biggest moron that ever lived and should go die in a gutter somewhere. I BOUGHT THE **** GAME, WHY MUST I REMAIN CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET TO PLAY THE GAME IN SINGLE-PLAYER???!!!

And if your internet connection sucks, give up all your hopes of ever playing this game. Besides that, there are many game-breaking bugs that will prevent you from logging into your account and playing the game. And how long has this game been in development?! Why the **** didn't they fix all the bugs?!

I bet even the pirates give better service, and for FREE. So thanks, Blizzard, for releasing this huge steaming pile of **** I hope you all rot and burn in hell and go bankrupt. Adiós, mother****ers!
  46. May 15, 2012
    When I played D2, I liked most of all the feel of the game. Sure, I went on to play online and grind my way to greatness, but that wasn't what made it awesome. The general feel of the game was still that of an horror action game, this cartoonish look developed to cater to the wow herd is appalling, especially if you consider that the graphics look worse than torchlight. Now this game isWhen I played D2, I liked most of all the feel of the game. Sure, I went on to play online and grind my way to greatness, but that wasn't what made it awesome. The general feel of the game was still that of an horror action game, this cartoonish look developed to cater to the wow herd is appalling, especially if you consider that the graphics look worse than torchlight. Now this game is designed around the grind mechanics, boss runs and wathever, but that wasn't what made it awesome. Add the online DRM, and this is yet another big disappointment for 2012. On a side note: I'd really like to see blizzard come up with something new instead of milking its old successes. Expand
  47. May 15, 2012
    Horribly awful. No point in this game and it's pretty clear this was made just to cash out with the Diablo name so that retarded fanboys would shove more money into the direction of Activision-Blizzard.
  48. May 15, 2012
    Getting disconnected from single player all the time. Very buggy, unfinished with dumbed down customization and cartoon graphics. Just terrible. And to top it all off over-intrusive DRM; because you know, its not like I planned on playing it later on in life when the servers are shut down.
  49. May 15, 2012
    The overbearing and senseless always-online DRM made it so where nobody could actually play the game at launch. This is on top of the ingame cash trading for ACTUAL ITEMS. I just hope this game fails and doesn't become the catalyst for change. RMAH and the DRM (which was touted to have no problems, yet still crashed everyone's game on launch) take whatever this game would be without them,The overbearing and senseless always-online DRM made it so where nobody could actually play the game at launch. This is on top of the ingame cash trading for ACTUAL ITEMS. I just hope this game fails and doesn't become the catalyst for change. RMAH and the DRM (which was touted to have no problems, yet still crashed everyone's game on launch) take whatever this game would be without them, and completely ruin it. Expand
  50. May 15, 2012
    Completely unacceptable. You do not as a professional company promise consumers a product on a due time, fail to then deliver it on time, and not even allow the consumer to use their product they have legally purchased. All this does once again is drum up support for piracy over DRM since we find once again those who haven't paid are somehow granted more accessibility then those who paid.Completely unacceptable. You do not as a professional company promise consumers a product on a due time, fail to then deliver it on time, and not even allow the consumer to use their product they have legally purchased. All this does once again is drum up support for piracy over DRM since we find once again those who haven't paid are somehow granted more accessibility then those who paid. This entire issue could have been easily avoided were competency and logic applied to this release. Sadly they have shown more value for making revenue then supporting their loyal customers on this day. Do not be fooled by the promises these large gaming companies will make you. They will not ever deliver anything more then a product stripped of as much artistic integrity as possible in favor of appealing to the majority.

tl;dr save your money and play Torchlight 2 or PoE. Both are cheaper and better planned out then what has become another brick in the growing wall of incompetent game companies.
  51. May 15, 2012
    Diablo 3 was expected to be a great game, because of the success of the previous Diablo games. You'd think that Blizzard wouldn't make a game this bad after working on it for so long, although I didn't expect another Blizzard game to be good after the catastrophy which was "Cataclysm".
  52. May 15, 2012
    I can't believe what they did to this game, Who in a normal state of his mind would plan to make this game an "always connected game"? This is not even a MMO, MMO sets those kind of things because it's obvious, you will play with many many people. But this game is a SINGLEPLAYER (featuring coop).
    Suffers a lot of connection problems and all that stuff. Aside from that, the mechanics are simplified compared to Diablo2, Titan Quest, Torchlight, etc... This game is not as deep, the hack n' slash feels easier (and fun some times) but it doesn't have the same feeling as the last game of the franchise.

It's a perfect example of what corporates companies want to steal from the fans and customers. I'm a big dissapointed fan. Please stop buying Activision things, they think they're the masters of the world and have the rights to **** people whoever they want with their money. I'm gonna wait for Torchlight 2.
  53. May 15, 2012
    The 15th may used to be a good day, it was my birthday.. From now and forever it will remain as the day of the blunder ! I wont cry for stat's disappearance, i will let the game a chance to prove that there's good in the new skill system. 2 years ago i was playing titan quest, and it was good. last Summer, i've dig up Diablo 2 with friends and enjoyed this summer. But i don't know why, itThe 15th may used to be a good day, it was my birthday.. From now and forever it will remain as the day of the blunder ! I wont cry for stat's disappearance, i will let the game a chance to prove that there's good in the new skill system. 2 years ago i was playing titan quest, and it was good. last Summer, i've dig up Diablo 2 with friends and enjoyed this summer. But i don't know why, it does not feel the same with D3. Maybe it's me, or maybe it's the mechanics, but the combat gameplay feels blank.

I put a 6, minus 2 because of the **** drm and the auction house, so it's 4 .... :'(
  54. May 17, 2012
    This would have been a fun addition to the series 5 or 6 years ago, but nostalgia for the series can only carry me along in a game so far. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, it just feels like a game going over old ground, there was nothing new or surprising added. 10 years in the making and yet it feels like it should have come out in 2005. It has got all the ingredients that madeThis would have been a fun addition to the series 5 or 6 years ago, but nostalgia for the series can only carry me along in a game so far. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, it just feels like a game going over old ground, there was nothing new or surprising added. 10 years in the making and yet it feels like it should have come out in 2005. It has got all the ingredients that made the earlier games great and it still pulls you along with hunter-gatherer desires, but simply put there are other more modern games that do this with more style and newer innovations.

The graphics and sound should have been much better, there should have been more varied things to do in the game, it just needed to add something, otherwise what have they been doing with it for 10 years?

Games have advanced, Diablo hasn't.
  55. May 15, 2012
    After half an hour I had to stop playing because of the latency. With a latency of 400ms (standard in my country) there was a delay of almost half a second between waving the weapon and hitting a foe. Totally unplayable. Blizzard, why so little love to the single player?? This has nothing to do with DRM. They wanted to create another WoW but they failed miserably. Reinstalling Titan Quest.
  56. May 16, 2012
    I signed up here just to write a review of this game, given all the disappointment that's floating around. I've been a Diablo fan since the first game,.. i played D2 until my eyes bled. Unfortunately, anyone hoping this would be a good continuation, are going to be sadly disappointed. For those in this boat, coming from Diablo 2, what you need to do is forget this is a Diablo game andI signed up here just to write a review of this game, given all the disappointment that's floating around. I've been a Diablo fan since the first game,.. i played D2 until my eyes bled. Unfortunately, anyone hoping this would be a good continuation, are going to be sadly disappointed. For those in this boat, coming from Diablo 2, what you need to do is forget this is a Diablo game and instead consider it a new experience. Whether that new experience is for you, is going to be a personal thing. What I would say is that the release has been so badly managed it's shocking. It's been so bad, that the game has been utterly destroyed by the press based heavily on the login experience. Which actually IS as bad as people make out. My experience was that at 5PM when everyone got home from work at the same time, the servers got hammered. At which point I managed to get in 3 times in 4 hours. All 3 times the connection was unstable and I got booted within 15 minutes. Which wasn't enough time for my friends to get a connection so we could play together. So All in all, I over a 4 hour period I played for 15 minutes, which was mostly just waiting about. Joyous.

Eventually we did get a game in, at about 11pm, when everyone in Europe had gone to bed. For an hour or two. And we kind of enjoyed it.

I'd say that there is also a misconception going around about the length of the game. Don't get me wrong, this is no WoW sized game, but it is much bigger than you would believe reading the reviews. People have quoted finishing the game in 2 hours. You'll only do that if you ignore absolutely all dialogue and run from start to finish as quickly as you possibly can. Ignoring all side quests, and avoiding killing most things. You can do this in almost all games. Look for speed runs on youtube, games that took the average gamer 30+ hours will have speed runs of 1 hour or less. And most of these people are just trying to look l33t. Don't play the game like this, you'll make a mediocre experience worse. Play it properly, explore, see things, do things.

I'm giving this 5/10, I'm trying to look past the login issues and see the bigger picture with that score, it would have been lower.
  57. May 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Diablo: Modern Warfare 3 is not a game, is a DRM. If you get to pass trough it, then you have a low quality hack'n'slash with zero to none gdr elements. Trust me, save your money for something better. Expand
  58. May 15, 2012
    This game is riding off the back of the success of a game which it does everything in its power not to be like. People say they are innovative and they want something radically different but the preorders are all because of D2 and we dont want this **** The trend to drive all games to the mainstream is baffling to me especially on a PC exclusive, following the leaders bioware of ruiningThis game is riding off the back of the success of a game which it does everything in its power not to be like. People say they are innovative and they want something radically different but the preorders are all because of D2 and we dont want this **** The trend to drive all games to the mainstream is baffling to me especially on a PC exclusive, following the leaders bioware of ruining their games blizzard has allowed all meaningful rpg elements to either be basterdized or made irrelevent. Pay to win, no custimization on your character with no skills or atributes, and horribly obstructive DRM make a game that will dissapoint all those pre-orders and blizzard should be ashamed. Expand
  59. May 15, 2012
    12 years exchange for an 8-hour game,what should I say?We dont know ,cause the Blizzard officer told us to play it again and again to find out the so-called entertainment inside .But I can hardly enjoy this awful game and the error 37 internet connection problem,I choose to quit , farewell ,Diablo3.
  60. May 15, 2012
    Too simplified game principles, wow graphics, too many concessions. Poor atmosphere as well. This game is not so good as Diablo 2. I don´t like new health/mana system as well. Character development is very simplified.
  61. May 15, 2012
    The game is unplayable, so the rating is 0. As easy as that.
    Whenever I should be able to play this game in the far future, I might change this rating.
  62. May 16, 2012
    Shocking and disappointing. If you can get over the fact you have to pay above average for the game and that you can buy in game money for real world money there are still major problems. Before I get to that I still want to say that this game is nothing more then an obvious money sink now rather then a true attempt to carry on what may loved about D2. Its my love the last game thatShocking and disappointing. If you can get over the fact you have to pay above average for the game and that you can buy in game money for real world money there are still major problems. Before I get to that I still want to say that this game is nothing more then an obvious money sink now rather then a true attempt to carry on what may loved about D2. Its my love the last game that made me give this a go and put aside the unpleasantness surrounding the game. I should have known better. Things have been stripped apart like customisation and how can you not have an offline mode?! Oh right, need to make money as mentioned. All other game companies while obvious like EA, at least rationalised things like pre-release DLC. What Blizzard have done to Diablo 3 make them look like good guys!!! Wow cant believe I can say that. As for gameplay, well since the servers have collapsed things arnt going great there either. Yet another blunder on a list longer then my arm. To be fair the games started off quite good, but there are so many things missing and already Im seeing fast tracked explanations and associations. I think I may grow to eventually like the game, but I cannot justify Blizzard antics, this has become a circus. Thus my zero. Sorry Blizzard. You become a monster of your own success. Its apparent its about the money and not the game and so you have forever lost a customer going forward Expand
  63. May 19, 2012
    It's basically World Of Diablo. With single-player lag. Plot is more rehash.

Pros: Fun click-fest action. Cons: Weak plot. Trite characters. MMO type game-play. Connecting to battle-net to play single player @ 820ms lag is just silly. Conclusion: Worth playing if you liked D1 and D2 and you're hard-up for something better to play. If you absolutely must buy the game, at least hold the
    It's basically World Of Diablo. With single-player lag. Plot is more rehash.

Pros: Fun click-fest action.

Conclusion: Worth playing if you liked D1 and D2 and you're hard-up for something better to play. If you absolutely must buy the game, at least hold the trigger until Blizzard fixes its server problems so you can enjoy your single-player experience lag free. Good grief.
  64. May 23, 2012
    MAJ on 2012-05-22
    Ok, now that I could finally play a few dozen hours, it's time to write a real review. :)
    MAJ on 2012-05-22
    Please keep in mind that I played the 5 classes, although none of them is lvl60, so this is a work-in-progress. Still I have a nice idea of the game now. For those who dont like big text, here's the thing to remember: DIABLO 3 IS FAR FROM EXCEPTIONAL, AND SUFFER SERIOUS SHORTCOMINGS, STILL IT'S A FUN GAME ESPECIALLY WITH FRIENDS.
    + each class has its own role and a few skills/equipment that make them distinctive.
    + aesthetics of the game.
    + works on any decent computer.
    + not just plain mouse-click bashing.
    + new skills system avoids losing hundred hours building a new character to test new strategy, allows to adapt skills depending on the team (and not the contrary).
    - the "hundreds skills per classe" is crap: at least half of them is useless.
    - permanent internet connection is still the WORST **** DRM EVER! Especially with Blizzard being so stupid: not anticipating Day one, updating servers on Sunday afternoon -I mean, Sunday freaking AFTERNOON!!!
    - several ergonomy flaws.
    - loot system broken by design, blatantly oriented to make people trade items at auction house.
    - difficulty curve stupidly steep. You go straight from utterly boring, 0-danger monster massacre to hard survival where you don't even count your lives anymore (much more interesting though, the "normal difficulty" should have been dropped).

OTHER COMMENTS
    Apart from connection problem, the two major flaw I see are:
    1) artificial variety of skills: In spite of so many skills on paper, only a handful will be actually useful. And, unless you play solo on higher difficulties (with monsters having immunities/special powers), you'll never have to change your set skill to win your game. In fact, you're encouraged to play like this, since you accumulate a hidden bonus of magic find which resets when you change active skills. Duh.
    2) loot system purposely broken to make you use Auction House: normal objects only sell a few golds (whatever their quality), magic items not much better, you rarely get an item for your class, stash is insanely expensive and limited. And still, monsters drop stuff by the hundreds, making you lose so much time checking items to pick up the good ones. 3) crafting system useless: the odds of making good items are not much better than your chances to find ones, you have no control whatsoever on generated magic properties, the number of times you can craft is limited, the investment in money is HUGE. Good idea, bad implementation.

FIRST FEEDBACK
    This is sad. I'd like to write a detailed review on this game, and give it a note that would reflect the actual fun potential. Unfortunately, I cannot bypass this outstanding behaviour from Blizzard. They are a VERY BIG editor, so it's not a money problem. They published several massively online multiplayer games already (Diablo 2, WoW, Starcraft 2), so it's not an experience problem. They made people play beta for many months, and made an extensive stress-test one month before actual planned release date; so it's not a preparation problem. BLIZZARD JUST PLAINLY DECIDED TO THROW AWAY USABILITY TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS. So, here are dozen thousand people that pre-ordered or bought on day 0, for a hefty amount of dollars, and they can't even play. And, obviously, general user licence prevent them from having a legal cause for bringing Blizzard into court. I think I've found the problem here. Blizzard doesn't give a **** about his community/fans/users/clients. Only possible retaliation then is: DON'T BUY THIS GAME (yet)!!! ... SERIOUSLY.
  65. May 15, 2012
    Couldn't stay online for more that 5 minutes during the day, can't even log in now. Great launch Blizzard. Especially great job with requiring connection to your crappy servers for SINGLE player. A big fat zero.
  66. May 15, 2012
    blizzard doesnt care any users. they only care for money. actually, it was obvious that diablo 3 wont be better than diablo 1 and 2 because former producers are working for torchlight now. only hope we have that after this time, people wont buy this game anymore and make blizzard think that they really done the worst and have to do something to make it better
  67. May 15, 2012
    Amazon's highest ever level of pre-orders for a game
    Singleplayer game
    DRM : force players to be logged onto their servers full time "to prevent piracy" - translation = to force you onto their items for real cash auction as sponsored by Chinese gold sellers.
    result: not enough servers available to log on to play game
    consequence: this crap score & massive loss of respect
  68. Jul 3, 2012
    After more than 200 hours of gameplay, I can objectively say that this game has mixed feelings. Overall, I feel it's a good game, but so many aspects of the game leave me sour. The whole "balancing", be it the loot worth, the weapon mechanics, the auction house, all feel like I'm playing a MMO, even a f2p, instead of playing the great action RPG game D3 should have been. I don't know whyAfter more than 200 hours of gameplay, I can objectively say that this game has mixed feelings. Overall, I feel it's a good game, but so many aspects of the game leave me sour. The whole "balancing", be it the loot worth, the weapon mechanics, the auction house, all feel like I'm playing a MMO, even a f2p, instead of playing the great action RPG game D3 should have been. I don't know why the developers chose to go in that direction, since D3 has no subscription fee. In my opinion, it would have been better to let every players easily acquire awesome loot and plow through Inferno easily than forcing them to grind countless hours in gold and/or gear farming. When you get in the Inferno difficulty, the game changes from being a leisure to being a chore. Almost every problems Blizzard had with illegal activities (bots, etc) resulted in patches that punished the legit players more than the botters. The always-on DRM was supposed to solve many problems, but ended up being a pain more than a solution.

I estimate my enjoyment and experience value of the D3 product to 40$, maximum. In the future, I will be wary of acquiring another Blizzard product, as it will take good convincing from both reviews and friends before considering purchase.
  69. May 15, 2012
    Picked it up to play singleplayer. Can't even use the product I purchased because of the Always-online DRM that ActiBlizz put in so they can earn money from virtual items. Bravo after years of "polishing" I can't even play because of your greediness.
  70. May 16, 2012
    I can't tell this is a 3.5/10 game, but surely it's not a decent game. DRM in 2012 is according to me the less important of the problems which afflict this game. Also the old and quite bad graphic would be acceptable, if the game would be fine. But unfortunately it's not: no potions, no town portal or identification scrolls, no stamina, no skill trees, no personalization of the character,I can't tell this is a 3.5/10 game, but surely it's not a decent game. DRM in 2012 is according to me the less important of the problems which afflict this game. Also the old and quite bad graphic would be acceptable, if the game would be fine. But unfortunately it's not: no potions, no town portal or identification scrolls, no stamina, no skill trees, no personalization of the character, bad plot... definitely it's not Diablo. This game is just a '' catch the mole '', when the only thing u can do is clicking on the enemies from the beginning to the end. And we waited 12 years for this... And the freaking and very simplified crafting system, the only new feature copied (and they did it so bad) from Wow, should really be avoided. Expand
  71. May 15, 2012
    Yet another game series has been killed off by the likes of casualization in the industry. At least they bothered to change it from being rated T to rated M, but that doesn't fix even half the problems this game has. My biggest problem were the visuals. How does Diablo 2, a pretty old game, look so much better than 3? The cartoony WoW artstyle doesn't fit at all, the textures and modelsYet another game series has been killed off by the likes of casualization in the industry. At least they bothered to change it from being rated T to rated M, but that doesn't fix even half the problems this game has. My biggest problem were the visuals. How does Diablo 2, a pretty old game, look so much better than 3? The cartoony WoW artstyle doesn't fit at all, the textures and models are crap, and the lighting is absolute **** The graphics even get in the way of gameplay, sometimes during combat there are so many random spell/skill effects on the screen that I can't see what's going on. Auction house runs on real money and the game has been significantly dumbed down for idiots. Always-Online DRM wrecks any chance of single-player which is how I played the classic games for the most part. All in all terrible game, wouldn't play. Expand
  72. May 15, 2012
    I would love to rate the game higher but it appears Activisions Blizzard is unable to correctly implement the right infrastructure in order to load people in, heavens forbid I don't know how Google etc manage so many concurrent users logging in several times a day from various devices where blizzard can't even manage the one device. I'm not sure if there's a video game or that the game isI would love to rate the game higher but it appears Activisions Blizzard is unable to correctly implement the right infrastructure in order to load people in, heavens forbid I don't know how Google etc manage so many concurrent users logging in several times a day from various devices where blizzard can't even manage the one device. I'm not sure if there's a video game or that the game is just made up of various Error Messages. Expand
  73. May 15, 2012
    I played this game at the open beta, from that moment; I knew this game was a disappointment. The game itself isn't that bad, but it isn't good either. It's something in between. There are things I don't like AT ALL: The skill system and attributes. You can't distribute your attributes anymore, and the skills aren't as customizable as it should've been. I didn't really have a problem withI played this game at the open beta, from that moment; I knew this game was a disappointment. The game itself isn't that bad, but it isn't good either. It's something in between. There are things I don't like AT ALL: The skill system and attributes. You can't distribute your attributes anymore, and the skills aren't as customizable as it should've been. I didn't really have a problem with need for active connection to play, since I enjoy playing with friends more than playing alone. This game reminds me of WoW but with different angle. (I don't like WoW). But there are few things I like. The gameplay feels fluid and the control is responsive. Also you can choose some skills for your companion as well. I wouldnâ Expand
  74. May 15, 2012
    Game had a bery bad launch. The graphics looks like they took WoW and turned it into an isometric game and slapped the name Diablo 3 on it. Very disappointing.
  75. May 15, 2012
    Got to play it for about 5 minutes before connection errors. If a game fails at being fun, it should fail any review. I hope Torchlight II is better than this crap.
  76. May 15, 2012
    What a terrible game. The story mode can be finished in 2 hours; you will be left grinding same dungeons over and over for that 'rare loot'. At the same time, someone can pay real money to purchase that item instantly from the real money auction house. I would stay away from this game if you want to keep the video game industry innovating in the right direction. If games avoid paying forWhat a terrible game. The story mode can be finished in 2 hours; you will be left grinding same dungeons over and over for that 'rare loot'. At the same time, someone can pay real money to purchase that item instantly from the real money auction house. I would stay away from this game if you want to keep the video game industry innovating in the right direction. If games avoid paying for games like this, they will be heard and developers will refrain from making games that require 'always online' single player. Granted, online connectivity isn't a big deal, but there is always that time your internet may be out and you want to play on single player (I vowed I would never buy a game after Starcraft 2 and it's online activation/limited access single player one day when I couldn't play when I didn't have internet connection). Regardless, the game seems like it was developed in 6 months, and not 11 years. I gave this game a 0 to even up the scores as there will be drones that give this game 10/10. Expand
  77. May 16, 2012
    This game is great but it misses the little something Diablo 2 had. no customization (skill pts), no rune words (so far), and everything was nerfed. It feels like WoW but with gore. Graphics are ok but not awesome, they look like 5 years old. The game play is pretty easy to get. I think the weakest point of this game is the multiplayer : Random games... Seriously? This is Diablo III, notThis game is great but it misses the little something Diablo 2 had. no customization (skill pts), no rune words (so far), and everything was nerfed. It feels like WoW but with gore. Graphics are ok but not awesome, they look like 5 years old. The game play is pretty easy to get. I think the weakest point of this game is the multiplayer : Random games... Seriously? This is Diablo III, not CoD! Bring me back my server creation system! Somethimes I want to Trade my stuff, not absolutely sell it to the AH! This is a Beat em' all, not a MMO. And the AH thing is a terrible idea. Do you know how many koreans are gonna control this market. Guys, let us create custom games with custom names, let us trade freely. You can let the AH but please, I want to be able to create a game like in D2. Enigma4Fort, you know? Expand
  78. May 16, 2012
    It's not even as good as D2, in any way whatsoever- loot, monster fights, skill variation/customization, fun, challenge. Why did it take so long to make a game that's subpar to the previous? It's like Duke Nukem Forever all over. The graphics are mildly improved, and the voice acting was a nice touch- in the end though it's a game with minor story and no surprises- which isn't what DiabloIt's not even as good as D2, in any way whatsoever- loot, monster fights, skill variation/customization, fun, challenge. Why did it take so long to make a game that's subpar to the previous? It's like Duke Nukem Forever all over. The graphics are mildly improved, and the voice acting was a nice touch- in the end though it's a game with minor story and no surprises- which isn't what Diablo has been about but in the search for something positive to say about the game that's all I could find. That doesn't even go into Blizzard's greed finally making them join with the gold farmers- or the brutal launch from a company that should know by now how to run an online game... or that it has to be online no matter what.

It's a game that could have come out... scratch that- DID come out 12 years ago. C'mon Blizz, you gotta go above and beyond.
  79. Mar 17, 2014
    Reduced my rating from 3 to 0. D3 no longer exists in it's original form. Blizzard killed the game with patch 2.0 for worse. All they needed to do was give us simple things like more acts/areas to play, events, etc, not revamp and facelift the entire game balance and mechanics. Barbarian class is garbage now, whilst Wizzard is godly. Main stats are on steroids, life steal buried, AHReduced my rating from 3 to 0. D3 no longer exists in it's original form. Blizzard killed the game with patch 2.0 for worse. All they needed to do was give us simple things like more acts/areas to play, events, etc, not revamp and facelift the entire game balance and mechanics. Barbarian class is garbage now, whilst Wizzard is godly. Main stats are on steroids, life steal buried, AH buried, BOA and no trading possible. PvP still doesn't exist as was promised >3 years ago. Blizzard/Activision is a garbage company still trying to ride on their past glories from decade ago. Expand
  80. May 20, 2012
    Too many bad things, DRM, graphics, voices, history, gameplay, character customization, wow styled, no rol like diablo series.... hell, 10 years wasted. oh wait, in 10 years they just care about WoW, this game wasnt even developed by serious people. its just a joke.
  81. May 15, 2012
    RAZOR, SKIDROW and all the other warez groups, unite and crack this dumb DRM! show Blizzard that we wont take thier **** death to DRM! Ubisoft failed with it, and Blizzard shall fail too!
  82. May 15, 2012
    Very bad internet connection and bad graphic just stops this game to be the best rpg this year,very disappointing game finger down.This game isn't worth so long waiting.For all of you out there better play one GREAT GAME which is called MAX PAYNE 3,BTW I am playing it on Xbox 360 and the game is great i am jus sad because the game doesnt have better graphic,consoles can have much betterVery bad internet connection and bad graphic just stops this game to be the best rpg this year,very disappointing game finger down.This game isn't worth so long waiting.For all of you out there better play one GREAT GAME which is called MAX PAYNE 3,BTW I am playing it on Xbox 360 and the game is great i am jus sad because the game doesnt have better graphic,consoles can have much better graphic than thi but overall the graphic is very good.But Diablo 3 sucks at every look Expand
  83. Oct 18, 2012
    (Post 1.0.5 review update)

(Post 1.0.5 review update)

My previous review was 3/10. Since patch 1.0.4 I've given the game a second chance. It got better, but the loot was still terrible, forcing people to use the RMAH which felt like f2p BS. With patch 1.0.5 the loot is dropping like mad. It feels way more like D2. Furthermore the skill system that I hated at first ended up being one of the best features. I never feel like I'm stuck with a build. My barbarian has gone through more transformations than a DBZ character, and I didn't have to use a trainer or hack to do it. This game is not a 10/10, but it's no longer the 3/10 that it was at launch. It didn't feel right to be a hater so I had to update my review.
  84. May 16, 2012
    Now that I've actually managed to start up the single player campaign, here's my updated review. To the relief of Diablo afficionados, the third installment is very much a successor to the previous games with gameplay and graphics very reminiscent of Diablo 2. The very similar level and mob design seem a bit too much of a deja vu scenario though, and could have benefited from a tad bitNow that I've actually managed to start up the single player campaign, here's my updated review. To the relief of Diablo afficionados, the third installment is very much a successor to the previous games with gameplay and graphics very reminiscent of Diablo 2. The very similar level and mob design seem a bit too much of a deja vu scenario though, and could have benefited from a tad bit different direction, in my opinion.

The story seems a bit burdened by the predecessors as well, since it shares too much of the same characters and locations from the previous games. Many of the NPCs make an appearance, like Deckard Cain, Leoric or Lachdanan. As for the other characters, you'll bump into your run-of-the-mill merchants and blacksmiths that will sell you goodies and repair your gear, characters that are vital to the storyline, and the commoners, standing there chatting away.

As you progress through the game, you'll be given the option of hiring henchmen, who are limited in what they can do but are a pretty cool nonetheless, since they can interact with your character, making the world feel more alive, and are a nice diversion as you roam through the dungeons by yourself.

The hack 'n slash aspect of the game is as good as ever, and killing and looting mobs feels very satisfying. The enemies themselves are colored by threat just like in the previous games, with the regulars being the weakest and the bosses being the toughest. As far as AI goes, there are some nice mechanics going on, like rare mobs pulling the unaware player straight into another group of enemies. The boss fights are very enjoyable to fight through as well, so no complaints there.

Another nice addition is the semi destructible environment, in which you have the option to use various world objects to your advantage, such as dropping chandeliers on unaware mobs standing under it.

The character classes are fun to play and seem very well balanced, though the limited character customization is a bit disappointing. You have two basic attack modes executed by left and right clicking, with up to four additional skills, such as healing yourself, or blinding enemies for a short period of time.

Don't have too much to say about the graphics department, since I've found that it does the job and makes for some very decent ambience and atmosphere. Again, there's some very heavy cues from its predecessors, and some levels feel like you've seen them before. The character art is well done though, and I've found myself admiring the various animations.

The sound and music are good as well; the coin drop ka-ching sounds very satisfying, as do death-throes and other, background sounds. The music is good, although I would've preferred a different track for Tristram than the remixed version of the original theme.

The biggest issue I've got with the game is the ridiculous DRM protection scheme. I can understand that piracy is a problem and that it needs to be dealt with at some level or another, but kicking your paying customers in the nutsack is a recipe for disaster. I could understand this scenario if this was an MMORPG, but forcing the player to have an always on Internet connection for the single player campaign seems too much of a stretch. This really seems more like a management decision though, and blame shouldn't be directed at the developers. In this sense, yeah, I very much liked the game and think it's a very polished experience, but can't give any more points for the sole reason mentioned above.
  85. May 16, 2012
    OH AND I WISH I COULD STAY ON LONG ENOUGH TO PLAY THE GAME I JUST BOUGHT BUT I KEEP GETTING ERRORS AND GETTING KICKED OFF. ERROR 0340490599090393 IM TIRED OF IT. SERIOUSLY BLIZZARD YOU NEED TO MERGE WITH STUDIO 38 AND HELP CURT SCHILLING AND R.A. SALVATORE MAKE A GOOD QUALITY GAME BC WITH THE ORIGINAL GANGSTERS OF BLIZZARD GONE, YOU GUYS ARE TALENTLESS NOBODY NERDS AND NEED TO KILLOH AND I WISH I COULD STAY ON LONG ENOUGH TO PLAY THE GAME I JUST BOUGHT BUT I KEEP GETTING ERRORS AND GETTING KICKED OFF. ERROR 0340490599090393 IM TIRED OF IT. SERIOUSLY BLIZZARD YOU NEED TO MERGE WITH STUDIO 38 AND HELP CURT SCHILLING AND R.A. SALVATORE MAKE A GOOD QUALITY GAME BC WITH THE ORIGINAL GANGSTERS OF BLIZZARD GONE, YOU GUYS ARE TALENTLESS NOBODY NERDS AND NEED TO KILL YOURSELF. DIABLO 2 GRAPHICS HONESTLY ALMOST LOOK BETTER THAN D3... THERE IS MORE FLUIDITY TO THEM... ITS RIDICULOUS but yeah thats what i have to say Expand
  86. May 15, 2012
    This is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. ButThis is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. But this game is a complete failure because of server side DRM being recquired. After so many years when blizzards servers shutdown my children will not enjoy this game because of DRM. Shame on you Blizzard and anyone who supports DRM games with their $$$. Duke Nukem may have been a bad game but at least the steam lets me play single player offline. Also wheres our LAN! Expand
  87. May 28, 2012
    Diablo 3 would be an okay game if it had cost half the price or you are a very casual player.

I've put about 40 hours into the game and made it to act 2 inferno (the last difficulty). The entire game is built around making money for Blizzard from the Auction House (AH). The good items are impossible to come by (hence keeping their value high in the AH). To be able to play inferno you

The entire game is built around making money for Blizzard from the Auction House (AH). The good items are impossible to come by (hence keeping their value high in the AH). To be able to play inferno you will need to spend money on the AH.

It is nothing near as good as Diablo 2 and you should not waste your time on it.
  88. May 15, 2012
    Graphics are an absolute shamble. Truly terrible game. Would not buy, pirate or even try.

Please avoid this like the plague. I seriously hope you guys don't touch this game.
  89. Jun 5, 2012
    Diablo 3 is addictive and rife with problems. The auction house's commodity section (gems, books, etc) has been down for weeks. Your key mapping resets when you quit the game. Elite enemies on Hell difficulty and above pose a greater threat than Diablo himself, killing you if your ping stutters for even a second. And all the equipment you find in game will either be sold or auctioned off.Diablo 3 is addictive and rife with problems. The auction house's commodity section (gems, books, etc) has been down for weeks. Your key mapping resets when you quit the game. Elite enemies on Hell difficulty and above pose a greater threat than Diablo himself, killing you if your ping stutters for even a second. And all the equipment you find in game will either be sold or auctioned off. The auction house is the only place to get decent gear.

The good parts of the game involve combining unlocked skills in different ways to dramatically alter how you approach combat and getting together with 3 other people to cause absolute chaos on the battlefield. I've played 70+ hours, but I think it's time to take a break until Blizzard balances the game.
  90. May 15, 2012
    Overall the game does not meet up the standards in Graphics of today games, the story is kinda good and the gameplay is repetitive and boring, somewhat of a dissapointment.
  91. Apr 9, 2013
    I have to update my review. Months after release and playing more than 200 hours as well as trying out the other Action RPG competitors, I am glad the direction that Diablo went in. Compared to the previous installment, they did streamline the game to not feel so "nuts and bolts." There are some things that this allows and prohibits. The one major downfall is that every character levels upI have to update my review. Months after release and playing more than 200 hours as well as trying out the other Action RPG competitors, I am glad the direction that Diablo went in. Compared to the previous installment, they did streamline the game to not feel so "nuts and bolts." There are some things that this allows and prohibits. The one major downfall is that every character levels up the same. This limits the dynamics of the characters. Once you have a Barbarian or Demon Hunter already created, creating another is superfluous. However, it allows for a focus on skills and skill selection. Also, there are options to test different builds to one you like. Attributes are automatically distributed when you level, so the game becomes a little more results based.

The drop rates are way better than months ago and Inferno difficulty is manageable than there were even 6 months ago.

Multiplayer can be fun and as time went on, there are more options for those that don't participate. Patch 1.08 will enhance the benefits of multiplayer more.

The RMAH was a bad idea and is now recognized as a bad idea by Blizzard. The auction house can be nice sometimes to open up different options. There is a sense of community that I don't see with the competitors with the online DRM, auction house, multiplayer etc. that I like, but most find these to be the greatest detriments to the game or the areas that need the most improvement.

Unlike many games, this game is continually updated and revised. I've put countless hours into this game. It is a wonderful value since it requires no additional costs.
  92. May 20, 2012
    I previously scored this an 8, but after having played it some more I can honestly say that it doesn't deserve such a high score. The game is based item hunting, however the more common items are usually better than the rarer items, and the Auction House makes it so that you'll be getting most of your upgrades from other people rather than finding them yourself. Item affixes are a problemI previously scored this an 8, but after having played it some more I can honestly say that it doesn't deserve such a high score. The game is based item hunting, however the more common items are usually better than the rarer items, and the Auction House makes it so that you'll be getting most of your upgrades from other people rather than finding them yourself. Item affixes are a problem too, they are terribly uninspired compared to D2:LoD.

I give this game a 6, the combat is good but the game has no longevity with one of its most fundamental systems in such a broken state.
  93. May 15, 2012
    Graphics - 3/10 Looks like a game from 2004.

Art - 3/10 Everything is foggy and gray, you can barely see any details. The characters don't look too good, kinda like WoW. Animations - 5/10 my monk has an axe and a shield, but when he attacks he puts them aside and punch, since currently there are no animations for the monk for anything except staff and fist weapons... Music - 5/10 Basic
    Graphics - 3/10 Looks like a game from 2004.

Music - 5/10 Basic background tunes.

Voice Acting - 2/10 Horrible.

Game play - 5/10 Dumbed down Diablo 2 game play. The mobs walk up to you and smack you, you hit them, they die, you win. While in D1&2 I'd make sure I cleared the entire level before moving on, in D3 I'm just glad I found the way to the next level already. No innovation whatsoever, totally mediocre.

Stability - 3/10 Logging in takes about 30 min because of error messages due to high server load. Whispers fail, party chat is broken.

I cannot believe this is a Blizzard game, it's like something I'd expect from EA. Do not buy, unless it's sold for under 8$.
  94. May 15, 2012
    I felt overall the story arc was way too serious in comparison to the other games--I mean, it gets kinda ridiculous toward the end. Diablo is waaaay too easy in this game if you're able to get the right resists. I can't wait to try him on inferno, but ultimately this game is a lot easier and shorter than the other Diablo titles--at least at first. I recommend for new players to play as aI felt overall the story arc was way too serious in comparison to the other games--I mean, it gets kinda ridiculous toward the end. Diablo is waaaay too easy in this game if you're able to get the right resists. I can't wait to try him on inferno, but ultimately this game is a lot easier and shorter than the other Diablo titles--at least at first. I recommend for new players to play as a Wizard--his spells get really good toward the end. Expand
  95. May 15, 2012
    The game is fun, and the crafting systems is deeper than before, but required connection to battle.net has made the game almost unplayable for the first 18 hours of launch. DRM is ruining games and this is a prime example of why.
  96. Jun 22, 2012
    gonna have to come back for a new review here; normal through hell are a fairly pleasant gaming experience; it wont last very long and its only fun your first time through. but the heart of the game; where all the loot tables are best; where 90% of all items are located; inferno mode. its a mess. designed around needing gear you could never ever ever hope to possibly get in less than 10000gonna have to come back for a new review here; normal through hell are a fairly pleasant gaming experience; it wont last very long and its only fun your first time through. but the heart of the game; where all the loot tables are best; where 90% of all items are located; inferno mode. its a mess. designed around needing gear you could never ever ever hope to possibly get in less than 10000 hours played. itemization is **** for a game that is all about the loot.

every single part of the "end-game" is directed to try and get you to use the RMAH; the game has no offline mode and the always online is frequently down and always laggy.
  97. May 16, 2012
    Nice game overall. The game has evolved in a slightly more irritating way than I had hoped. The skill system is fine, but it's slow and clunky if you want to change 1 skill to another. Not only do you need to click into the skill page, you need to select the corresponding skill tab (there's 6 tabs with their own skills each), you also need to select a rune for the skill to better utilizeNice game overall. The game has evolved in a slightly more irritating way than I had hoped. The skill system is fine, but it's slow and clunky if you want to change 1 skill to another. Not only do you need to click into the skill page, you need to select the corresponding skill tab (there's 6 tabs with their own skills each), you also need to select a rune for the skill to better utilize it. At least they should revamp the runes to be applied automatically based on lvl up and to inherit the benefits for each instead of having like 8 or so runes to choose from.
    I am content with the visuals in the game. I just hope they have built into the engine support for larger resolutions than the 1920x1080 my monitor supports. Unlike Diablo2 that is limited in it's resolution. There are a few instances where the viewing angle dosen't quite do a proper job, but for most of the game I don't have a problem with it.
    I don't like the music in game, while that is a subjective topic, I miss some more grand tunes in the game.
    I find the gameplay smooth (apart from the skills), but I miss the ability to put down my attribute points. On the other hand if it gets to the same uselessnes as in D2LoD (just stacking in 2, and no I'm not a good D2 player) I don't mind the way they have done it. The difficulty in the game is more balanced than what I experienced in D2. I find it a good thing that you don't get a nightmare act1 you can nearly just run though as opposed to D2.

If you take into account Blizzards understatement of ppl that wanted to play, the rating would be more like '2' but I'm not basing my score on that.4283 of 5000 characters remaining. Though Blizzard should give all launchday players something for their troubles signing in. Wasen't World of Warcraft: Cataclysm enough, like the other WoW expansions that launchday needs more capacity to support the players? As I couldn't sign in to D3, I also didn't have access to SC2 or WoW as the Battle.net log in server was down.
    Check box if your review contains spoilers
  98. May 15, 2012
    Overall solid game, lot of day 1 issues however but this is usually the case with Blizzard releases. Combat is good from what I've seen, feels meaty and very enjoyable. Game particularly shines while playing online, games are easy to find and what I have seen so far of the community is good.

Always online DRM though is the major issue, single player game lag just shouldn't happen. I am aware it's done to stop item cheats since "items = real money" but it's still annoying as all hell. This will pass as launch hype fades but I am not a fan of always online single player, it's a joke.
  99. May 23, 2012
    First, all these people that think games are either 0's or 10's need to realize you are not helping the industry...not one bit. You want to keep seeing games get made? Give an honest assessment and leave the black or white mentality at home. All or nothing is out.

This is a very well made game. It is responsive, looks good, plays well together, and mostly intelligent AI. The game is just fun to play. It mixes things up just enough to make you want to play again. Just for being a fun title it gets good marks as that is the primary focus of a game....being fun.

The graphics are well made as well. They are high enough to look good for the perspective you are playing as well as keeping the game available to a variety of machines. PC gamers claim that they have better graphics capability and this is true. The problem is the disparity in systems. An Xbox is an Xbox. There are very few differences except in hard drive space. They are made (some with different hardware) to play at a specified efficiency and so the developer can target that making the game as efficient as possible. PCs are a different bag and you have to tone things down to get a larger market share. It's just the way it is and will be for the foreseeable future.

This is a game that has it all. There are a few annoyances like the music, while well done, is not really something that gets your blood pumping to fight demons when a huge battle is going on. The graphics are fine. The fun is high. The controls are responsive and well done. The skill tree is fine as well. Keep giving those 0s for no reason. It's like stabbing your friend in the chest for giving you something enjoyable. See if you get something again.
  100. May 16, 2012
    Now that I've finally had a chance to play the game, I'm updating my earlier review. Pros: It's fun. The graphics are beautiful. It's fairly intuitive. The character classes are different enough to give the game some definite replay value. It's also fairly addictive. The sound is good. I also really like the in-game map. I haven't once had that "where the heck am I supposed to be going?!!"Now that I've finally had a chance to play the game, I'm updating my earlier review. Pros: It's fun. The graphics are beautiful. It's fairly intuitive. The character classes are different enough to give the game some definite replay value. It's also fairly addictive. The sound is good. I also really like the in-game map. I haven't once had that "where the heck am I supposed to be going?!!" moment, which is a huge plus. Cons: The need to be connected to the internet to play is big downside of this game is a big downside. It wasn't something I knew about until just before I purchased it, and by then it was too late to curb my New Game Lust. When I'm at home, it won't be an issue, but I bought a new laptop just for this game, so I could take it with me on trips and such. That appears to have been a waste of money. As for the game itself, I am a bit disappointed in the skill leveling system. In the previous Diablo game, you earned skill points which you could invest in the skills you wanted. It resulted in highly individualised characters, which was a big draw of Diablo 2. Diablo 3 seems to give every character the same abilities as every other character of that class. At any time you can just change which abilities you have equipped and you'll be exactly the same as the next Barbarian or Witch Doctor. This is an aspect that severly HURTS replayability of this game.

On the whole, it's still Diablo, a game I've loved since I was in High School. It just seems like a step down from Diablo 2. Maybe someday they'll come out with a Diablo 2.5, with updated graphics and a new character class or something (and no weird online-only DRM). Until then, this will have to do.

1. Aug 31, 2012