4.0

1. Sep 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game launched with a lot of problems. A LOT of problems. Broken servers, broken AH, weird performance issues. I play on a heavily overclocked 2500k with Crossfire 6950 GPUs. Day one, horrible stuttering when entering games. I even had stuttering on pre-rendered cinematics, and that bug still exists today. There is a bizarre bug with v-sync that if I ever drop below 60 FPS even for half a second, my FPS either gets cut in half to 30 for several seconds, or keeps going at 60 FPS as if v-sync was suddenly turned of. This turns the game into a juddery piece of s*** when it occurrs and totally ruins the experience. That bug STILL EXISTS TODAY and has been well-documented. How do things like this happen with a game that had the budget they did? I really don't get it.

The game itself is okay. In general the classes are fun to play. The 'story' is a complete travesty. I don't know who wrote this thing, but the story and delivery are on par with something like..."The Room". How many times does Kulle have to telegraph that he's going to betray you by laughing maniacally every time he finishes talking? What really killed the game was itemization. You basically have to win the lottery to find an item that is any good or even worth selling. Inferno was so challenging at launch that most people never made it past act 1. People depended on broken specs and exploits to get through. Botters and exploiters have absolutely ruined the gold economy. Items that would be a solid upgrade for me now cost 50 million gold or higher. There is something truly effed when I can't buy an item that would really be a good upgrade when I'm sitting on 35 million gold. And guess what. You can't gain a lot of gold unless you sell a really kickass item. But wait, remember that the loot rolls are so random that I play a few hours every day with a good amount of MF and find an item that sells for around 10 million gold...oh, about once a month.

Lately, Blizzard has shown some interest in making things better. The 1.05 patch and 1.04 really seem to put forth some effort to improve the experience. However, for many players it's just too little, too late. Seriously, it's months later, and the changes in these last 2 patches should have been what the game launched with. Still no PvP or even word when it should be expected.

I actually still have fun with the game, so that's something. They seem to be committed to fixing the problems and what players don't like. But until that really happens, I can only give this game an average rating. Maybe with the expansion (and we all know one is coming) they will get it right from the start. After the utter s***fest that is Mists of Pandaland, I'm not holding my breath.
  2. Jun 21, 2012
    Overall - 4.8/10

Overall - 4.8/10

The game is lackluster, its missing its polish that is normally apparent in Blizzard games. Holes in the story line, broken promises (PvP), silly voice acting, obvious testing issues, and a general lack of customer feedback has destroyed this games chances of becoming great. Most of us bought Diablo 3, because it was Diablo. The teasers, the beta, the screenshots, the game box, and hell the website all lead us to believe we were getting something that we just plain did not receive. For those of you who got refunds or are selling items on the RMAH to get your money back, more power to you.

Some say gamers today are "entitled", and that the developers / creators spent hundreds of days making this game for us. We are entitled, we have opinions, we have voices, we have choices. All people are born with this ability and use it everyday. We all spend our hard earned money on consumer products; food, entertainment, transportation, etc. When we don't get what we were promised or expecting, we demand a refund, or we don't return. Just because its a "game" doesn't excuse Blizzard from falsely advertising a product and releasing a retail game that is obviously a product that is reminiscent of an open beta.
  3. Sep 4, 2012
    The luster begins to quickly fade as the game's soul seems to be as absent as it's namesake's. While a great attempt at recreating what made it's predecessors so successful, this game is bogged down ultimately by one thing, the Auction House.

What made Diablo fun, was the excitement of finding new and unique gear, and the auction house has taken that hunt away from players. The best gear is flooded into the market and players are transported far beyond what they normally would find. Then, instead of a major upgrade every few hours of play, all the player has to look forward to is a minor one, every few days.

The real money auction house has done even worse. It has made balance more important to the developers than the feeling of power that made Diablo so much fun to play. If you find a great way to slaughter the denizens of evil within the world of Diablo, you can count on the developers "fixing" it, to protect the balance of the auction house.

Perhaps it can be salvaged into something close to it's predecessors, but not likely while the auction house remains.

Let's hope that it becomes clear to the developers. Lets hope they are humble enough to listen and hear. The game has potential, but it hasn't reached it yet.
  4. Jun 5, 2014
    Updating my review past all of the changes.
    Finally they did what players wanted. They made the game about loot. It still gets tedious very quickly solo player, but the new Adventure mode is great to play with friends
  5. Jun 13, 2012
    The game has it's problems. The main one being that playing through on normal and nightmare are simply too easy to the point of being boring. By the time you get to hell mode the difficulty feels like it's where it should be, but the story is very dull by this time. You've already seen it twice and it's so short that it's not worth replaying for the sake of the story. It is an averageThe game has it's problems. The main one being that playing through on normal and nightmare are simply too easy to the point of being boring. By the time you get to hell mode the difficulty feels like it's where it should be, but the story is very dull by this time. You've already seen it twice and it's so short that it's not worth replaying for the sake of the story. It is an average game, at best. Definitely not one that will stand the test of time. Expand
  6. Xzi
    Jun 7, 2012
    Attempting to review this game without bringing emotion into it has no doubt been a challenge for a lot of people here, myself included. I've been a big fan of Blizzard since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and some of their SNES games. All the way up to World of Warcraft, and, to a lesser extent, Starcraft II.

I'm not a fan of Diablo 3. And I'm not a fan of the direction that Activision

I'm not a fan of Diablo 3. And I'm not a fan of the direction that Activision has taken Blizzard in.

Diablo 3 is a game that favors quantity over quality. It provides just enough (repeating) content to keep you going, but below the surface, none of that content is particularly interesting or enjoyable. In that sense, Diablo 3 truly shares more in common with the later years of WoW than it does with previous Diablo games.

Some insight as to why I say this: the item system has been completely revamped. Rather than interesting on-hit spell effects like you might see in the previous Diablo games, Diablo 3 focuses on watching numbers grow larger. Items that add two stats (+DEX + VIT) are supposed to impress you more than items that add one stat (+DEX). And, of course, three-stat items you're supposed to believe are the holy grail. Legendary items, which are some of the hardest to find, are most times inferior to magical items, which are found every thirty seconds or so.

Most of the game's social features have been removed. Searching for a multiplayer game is completely random, so you have no idea what your co-op buddies have in mind for their goals in playing. Whether they're going on boss runs or clearing whole areas, or what.

And Diablo 3 includes the worst possible type of DRM. Always-online. Meaning that your play is entirely determinate on whether or not Blizzard can manage to keep their servers up. Spoiler alert: most of the time they can't.

The bottom line is that Blizzard no longer knows how to make a proper Diablo game without the assistance of the former Blizzard North staff. They've paved the way for other aRPGs from other developers to take the throne. My new personal favorite, and shining example of aRPG done right, is the game Krater. I suggest you check it out on Steam. Other good upcoming games in the same genre are Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile.
  7. uah
    May 20, 2012
    I cannot play the game I bought, this is a 0 rated game for me.

Not allowing people to play the game because the servers are down it is just plain stupid.
  8. May 31, 2012
    So just to start. I was ineradicably excited when i first got the game. After waiting day after launch ( since I couldn't get in) game literally killed my excitement little by little. Game is a total step-back compared to predecessor. While its nice to switch around skills for a while, blizzard totally killed experimentation with skill points and uniqueness of skills. Skill trees in diabloSo just to start. I was ineradicably excited when i first got the game. After waiting day after launch ( since I couldn't get in) game literally killed my excitement little by little. Game is a total step-back compared to predecessor. While its nice to switch around skills for a while, blizzard totally killed experimentation with skill points and uniqueness of skills. Skill trees in diablo 2 used to be crystal clear to read and compare and showed damage done as well as gave synergies to make it really interesting. On top of that attribute points are allocated automatically. That leaves player with no choices making character boring. Story is not memorable at all beside few little moments. They managed to make the game so generic that it pains me to say this. Game is boring after a while. It doesn't bring anything really innovative to the table(and I would say it even takes away). Some would say that they brought auction house and characters are more balanced for PvP but again(what PvP?) there's no PvP. Personally I finished the game on normal and I'm not so sure that there's enough to keep me going. There's only four players in a group and maps seem very small. They had 12 years to make a great polished game. It seems that Blizzard prioritizes MMos now so everything else is an addition. Instead of evolving great game and implementing more ideas into the game, blizzard managed to give diablo 3 a console feel. Yes I said that right, console. Game would be fine as a release for a console. Just to sum it up. Blizzard somehow managed to avoid almost everything that was great about diablo 2 and make something(some would say different) but I would say worse since as of now I don't see myself playing it 12 years from now as I did with diablo 2. Some newcomers might like it, but seasoned players growing up on diablo and diablo 2 surely wont be so happy and they make majority. I guess they only hope lies in Torchlight 2 which is going to cost 1/3 of what diablo 3 did and seems much better in aspect of uniqueness and implementation. Well we'll have to wait a little since release date is set to summer 2012. Thank you for reading my rambling and I hope someone from Blizzard wakes up and realizes that they wasted pretty big opportunity to make even bigger bucks.PS Blizzard if you ever need help with ideas and implementation just contact me since there's a serious lack of talent on your team. Also I apologize for my English as as of now it's not perfect and thank you for reading. Expand
  9. May 28, 2012
    So I just finished the single player campaign, Diablo is dead. Hooray. The cut scenes were fantastic, Blizzard are amazing at those and always have been! I remember playing the original Diablo and being utterly blown away by the between game animations, and the same for WOW. Okay DRM is a pain and the servers died a few times in the beginning. But I'm not going to mark the game againstSo I just finished the single player campaign, Diablo is dead. Hooray. The cut scenes were fantastic, Blizzard are amazing at those and always have been! I remember playing the original Diablo and being utterly blown away by the between game animations, and the same for WOW. Okay DRM is a pain and the servers died a few times in the beginning. But I'm not going to mark the game against these, it seems to be the way most things are heading these days. It seems very much that the game engine isn't a million miles away from WOW, and uses a lot of the same graphics which in itself isn't such a bad thing as Blizzard always carry these things of with style, regardless of the cutesy graphics. However, the cutesy graphics do mean the atmosphere is not as oppresive as it was in the original games - it definitely loses something. Just to quickly cover the basics - Diablo is a game in which you run around dungeons and kill lots of critters. The main story is of a battle between heaven and hell and you basically level up until the story takes you to the Lord Diablo himself, who has rather rudely gate crashed the eternal realm. There are lots of weapons and armour drops all the way through and really the main crux of the game is in finding bigger and better armour and weapons. Once you start playing online with other players, the level of drops soon ramps up, as well as the difficulty level of the monsters.
    Now as this is Diablo 3 you cannot review the game without comparing it to it's predecessors, the same as if you were reviewing a film, and for me this is where the game falls down. The rather high scoring critic reviews suprise me because the fact of the matter is that this game seems to have gone nowhere. It used to be a simple hack and slash click-click-click game, with a variety of spells or actions, and plenty of loot items to pick up - including scrolls, which are one off spells to casts. It is still a simple hack and slash click-click-click game except LESS variety in spells/actions and no scrolls anymore. It feels very much like the game has been dumbed down for the masses. And the thing is, it's been 10 years. TEN. That's an awful long time to spend failing to progress. And on the side Blizzard already have WOW, so they have an absolute wealth of suitable graphics to use and a wealth of experience in fantasy games. They seem to have played the hand towards nostalgia rather than innovative gaming.
    So I would have to admit to being somewhat gutted about this game. It isn't awful, it just isn't new. And from an absolute powerhouse like Blizzard, I expect much more in terms of innovation and creativity, and I certainly don't expect them to move backwards in terms of complexity being as the first two games were not complex. And sadly it does seem to me that Blizzard are becoming more of a money making organisation than a serious developer of top quality games, especially after announcing their real money auction house. It is that great travesty of business and advertising - it ruins everything it comes into contact with. And Blizzard are slowly turning into a business enterprise, not a game developer. Many of the user reviews are scathing hit backs at the painful DRM system (meaning you cannot play single player without being online), which is perfectly understandable as it makes no sense to be online when you want to play by yourself. But I am much more upset about the lack of progress since Diablo II. Whoever came up with Diablo in the first instance was an absolute genius, and it was an amazing game. Whoever got hold of the license and created Diablo 3 should have doubled that genius with more involving and complex gameplay - they already had a great engine to work with! Instead, they seem to have lazily rehashed the game. It is addictive, that can't be denied, but if it was a piece of homework it would definitely have 'see me' written on it in red writing.
  10. May 21, 2012
    I see people giving D3 ratings of 0 and 10, I think they are both crazy. This game is decent, but I really feel blizz dropped the ball. I just feel like there should be more to this game after 3+ years of development. Its just a watered down reskined version of D2. It's a decent game, but not $60 worth of decent. I'm just really disappointed in Blizzard, and this really makes me wonderI see people giving D3 ratings of 0 and 10, I think they are both crazy. This game is decent, but I really feel blizz dropped the ball. I just feel like there should be more to this game after 3+ years of development. Its just a watered down reskined version of D2. It's a decent game, but not $60 worth of decent. I'm just really disappointed in Blizzard, and this really makes me wonder what they are going to do in the Wow xpac. They just aren't the same company they used to be. Expand
  11. May 22, 2012
    $65 for this game feels wasted. While the game is very similar to Dungeon Hunter, with more classes, I got DH for $10. And thats what this game should have been a steam download in the range of 20-40 Max. I have yet to experience any lag or connectivity issues. But what I hear seems harsh. The graphics dont feel current gen, they feel like they are from 2000, so when I see "the$65 for this game feels wasted. While the game is very similar to Dungeon Hunter, with more classes, I got DH for $10. And thats what this game should have been a steam download in the range of 20-40 Max. I have yet to experience any lag or connectivity issues. But what I hear seems harsh. The graphics dont feel current gen, they feel like they are from 2000, so when I see "the visuals are tremendous and watching stuff explode etc" I have a 32" monitor I play and I can barely see these things. Alot of hype from critic reviews, and alot of ppl who are like omg 12 years to play this game? Ive never been this let down since Duke Nukem. Anyways my two cents. And dont bother waiting for this to hit the bargain bin, if it ever does, the servers will be offline at that point and you wont be able to play it anyways. Expand
  12. Aug 11, 2012
    I'm updating my score from a 1 to a 5 in anticipation of patch 1.0.4. I truly hope this patch will bring out the game that we all paid $60-$100 for. Below are the preview details of patch 1.0.4 - release date is still unknown.

System Changes, by Wyatt Cheng Senior Technical Game Designer Wyatt Cheng is preparing a high-level summary of some of the system changes planned for 1.0.4.

System Changes, by Wyatt Cheng

Legendary Item Improvements, by Andrew Chambers
    Senior Game Designer Andrew Chambers is working on a blog detailing all the ways we
  13. May 20, 2012
    Most of us are acting on emotion while reviewing Diablo 3. We need to take in consideration that DRM is a bit like Politics. We hate it sometimes, but it's there for a reason. I play games off-line, I play single player. Sure, I spent quite a lot of time online as well, but I do not like being forced to play online. It's a matter of personal preference. So, let me put it out of the way,Most of us are acting on emotion while reviewing Diablo 3. We need to take in consideration that DRM is a bit like Politics. We hate it sometimes, but it's there for a reason. I play games off-line, I play single player. Sure, I spent quite a lot of time online as well, but I do not like being forced to play online. It's a matter of personal preference. So, let me put it out of the way, Blizzard made a huge mistake with their online-only stance, but with their pedigree, I'm sure they will iron out the problems in due time. Now, on to the review of the actual game (error 37 not included).

Diablo 3 brings something new to the table for ARPGs. A complete reworking of the RPG part in your ARPG. When your character level up, the stats are applied automatically, and you unlock new abilities or runes which change how these abilities work. And since you can only use 1 ability of each tree (varies according to your class), you have usually 6 abilities at your disposal and a huge amount of combination that can change the type of character you are. For example, the Demon Hunter can be a beast when fighting swarm of enemies with one combination or a boss killer with another combination.

Graphics and Sounds are below average in my honest opinion. The music is not memorable, the combat sound is great, the graphics well it's decent but could have been better, and the combat animation just fail horribly. Animation varies according to your ability rather than which weapon is equipped. So don't be surprised to see a wizard wield a 2h sword like a golf club when casting spell. Also, it doesn't make any sense for a lot of characters to be able to use some weapons, when they don't even have the ability or animation to use them like the Monk.

Gameplay is amazing thanks to the revamped RPG system. Dungeons are grim (Act 1 had some of the best dungeons in the game), the world is beautifully designed though a bit small compared to the likes of Sacred 2 or Titan Quest. The boss fights are amazing; Act 2's end boss is just a runner up for one of the best boss battle in an ARPG. Loot are plentiful to find, and with a little bit of help from equipment with X% of finding magical items, you bet your gold coins you will pick up some wonderful things on a regular basis.

Now the story. First, let me say this. I don't like Leah. She looks like a little girl from an japanese cartoon or anime. Are you telling me that's the best character design blizzard could come up with for the woman that grew up with Deckard "Stay a while and Listen" Cain? Also, why is she not a be more, you know, badass having to live with that old man since her childhood? Tyrael is awesome, Adria is one milf, the side kicks are fun to have around except for that sorceress who suffers from innocent-flower-syndrome, and Lyndon is just too awesome for his mustache. Overall, the story doesn't let you down provided you pay attention to all the details so that you don't end up asking silly questions like "is Diablo a lady?".

To conclude, it's a good game. It has awful DRM. And probably deserves the 0 it's receiving, but it's unfair towards the people who designed this game to just rate down the game based on strong emotions. It's justified. We paid for a product, we expect to be able to use said product. But that said, think of the developers. They are not our enemies; corporate greed is.
  14. May 16, 2012
    Common guys, why don't you simply skip the game and send a message?

Common guys, why don't you simply skip the game and send a message?

It was known for a long time: single player totally f****d, no stats, skills and runes, 60$ price tag for unknown reason and finaly no demo, guest passes instead. DRM is more than enough to not buy the game, and the rest is not much better. It was clear before release that you get the game for children with special needs who can't distribute 5 points in 4 stats
  15. May 16, 2012
    I'm a bit disappointed by this game. The gameplay is still pure hack'n'slay, but that's it. Nothing new to add a strategic value to this game. I would compare this game to the hundreds of "korea-grinders" and that's it.
    Nothing to seperate form any F2P mmorpg game (the auction house generates the profit for blizzard here). The only reason this sells for money is the franchise. - I think it's an solid game, but not "good". It simply lacks of complexity and customization of your characters. Graphics are very simple, but this means it runs an almost any better calculator (tested it on a AMD E-350 based NetBook at medium settings).
  16. May 16, 2012
    A solid meh. Without ranting about server issues, you click things and they die. Sometimes when there are a lot of things you press a number and/or q and continue clicking things. The setting, atmosphere and story is alright but not good enough to make up for the repetitive gameplay.
  17. May 15, 2012
    So far I'm a little unsure about the game. As a hardcore Diablo II fan, I really miss the level of skill customization that D2 offered, but to be honest, I'm glad the real world PvP has been gotten rid of (going into a game just to have somebody come in and hostile you is anything but fun, and it really ruined the fun of public games not intended for duelling). On the other hand, there areSo far I'm a little unsure about the game. As a hardcore Diablo II fan, I really miss the level of skill customization that D2 offered, but to be honest, I'm glad the real world PvP has been gotten rid of (going into a game just to have somebody come in and hostile you is anything but fun, and it really ruined the fun of public games not intended for duelling). On the other hand, there are some positives in this game that diablo 2 really lacked. I just can't in good conscience give it over a 6/10 though, because there just isn't enough customization possible (there seems to be one IDEAL skill path and a bunch of not ideal paths), and they still insist on there being no offline play (I don't want to REQUIRE an internet connection to play some single player, what the hell.). Expand
  18. May 17, 2012
    It's Spore all over again. The game isn't really bad, it gets good reviews by critics, but there's something so terribly wrong with it. Let me start out by stating how shocked I am that this game has received universally positive reviews, many stating that it has improved upon its predecessor. Have any of these critics even played Diablo 2? This game eliminates much of what made itsIt's Spore all over again. The game isn't really bad, it gets good reviews by critics, but there's something so terribly wrong with it. Let me start out by stating how shocked I am that this game has received universally positive reviews, many stating that it has improved upon its predecessor. Have any of these critics even played Diablo 2? This game eliminates much of what made its predecessor great.

Here's a list of things that displease me:

-No more choice when leveling your character. Everything unlocks automatically
    -You can't distribute skill points

-Items have, for the most part, the same size. You can carry many more things than you could in Diablo 2. Some people might like this better, but it makes things feel less valuable.
    -No more scrolls of town portal. You have to use waypoints.
    -Potion healing is drastically changed.
    -You can't actually use your weapon when you feel like it. As in, the game doesn't allow you to swing your weapon if you feel like it with certain classes.
    -I don't think the graphics are bad, but they don't fit the atmosphere. Whereas the first one was dark and gritty, this one seems cartoonish. -The writing is uninspired and has that "oh look at me I'm so epic" quality that I've noticed is becoming increasingly common in Blizzard games

Overrall, the game just feels watered down and simplified. Some people disagree with me and are having the time of their lives. All I know is that I wasn't having fun even after a few hours of playing.
  19. May 16, 2012
    Finding it hard to play with fairy land version of 2002 graphics. The immersion of the graphics to a game style as diablo is pretty key. Pretty sad when the richest company cant even work that out. I saw make another warcraft (not wow) and bring it back to your fans. Grow a brain over there
  20. May 15, 2012
    After 2 hours of gameplay, my first impressions are not that good. Granted only 2 hours. First of all, I'm on single player and have had no server issues. I'm not a "DRM" issue guy, so that stuff doesn't affect me one way or the other. I'm also fine with the graphics; I'd rather be able to play a good game on a half-assed computer than be forced to buy a new machine just to play it. ButAfter 2 hours of gameplay, my first impressions are not that good. Granted only 2 hours. First of all, I'm on single player and have had no server issues. I'm not a "DRM" issue guy, so that stuff doesn't affect me one way or the other. I'm also fine with the graphics; I'd rather be able to play a good game on a half-assed computer than be forced to buy a new machine just to play it. But this game appears to be truly dumbed-down from D2. My initial impression is that every barbarian will play just like every other barbarian. There is no stat distribution, and in place of skill trees (which rewarded point saving), you simply unlock the next skill. In D2 you could play one class many different ways, in D3 every witch doctor looks like the next. this is unforgivable coming from Blizzard. This is not an action RPG, it's just action. I'm hoping, after 20 or 30 hours of gameplay, to be won over. But I'm not holding my breath. Expand
  21. May 16, 2012
    I'm sorry to say that I'm not overly impressed with this return to a classic franchise. I'm not biased by being either a blizzard fanboy or hater here, just a gamer and worker in the industry and I used to be very proud of working on one of the games that Diablo bounced off of back in the day.

In fairness, before I continue, I have to say that it is hard to innovate with a product with the kind of established formula that made the originals so much fun. It's difficult to walk the line between making changes that are acceptible to new players without cutting elements that were enjoyed by old fans.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like blizzard actually tried.

Diablo 3 is an ok game, its reasonably pretty whilst retaining enough of a dated feel that you feel as if you are still playing the same franchise, and thats it. If players are able to complete the game in under 7 hours as they are reportedly doing, then its a safe bet to say that there hasnt been a significant increase in the amount of actual content...

In truth this doesnt feel like a new game. It feels like Diablo 2, rigged to work on direct x 9 at a slightly higher resolution, with voice actors and a cash shop.

And there we come to the crux of it - I already get the impression this was less about the game, and more about making money from commission on item sales. If it takes off, I'm sure blizzard will take the knowledge learned from this product test, and apply it elsewhere.

The most impressive aspect about this title for me, at least, was seeing how badly the gaming community has been pre-conditioned to accept what was an abysmal product launch with terrible community management, where in other industries directors would be fired, stocks dropped and people held publicly accountable. Even more concerning the fact that the community management seemed to rely on fans to shout down the backlash from the people who tried to highlight this very issue..

All in all, its an ok game, a nice reminder of earlier years, but not worth the heafty price tag. Caveat Emptor dear reader, do not be fooled into believing this is anything other than another corporate cash cow for an already highly skilled company of "milkmen"...
  22. May 17, 2012
    This would have been a fun addition to the series 5 or 6 years ago, but nostalgia for the series can only carry me along in a game so far. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, it just feels like a game going over old ground, there was nothing new or surprising added. 10 years in the making and yet it feels like it should have come out in 2005. It has got all the ingredients that madeThis would have been a fun addition to the series 5 or 6 years ago, but nostalgia for the series can only carry me along in a game so far. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, it just feels like a game going over old ground, there was nothing new or surprising added. 10 years in the making and yet it feels like it should have come out in 2005. It has got all the ingredients that made the earlier games great and it still pulls you along with hunter-gatherer desires, but simply put there are other more modern games that do this with more style and newer innovations.

The graphics and sound should have been much better, there should have been more varied things to do in the game, it just needed to add something, otherwise what have they been doing with it for 10 years?

Games have advanced, Diablo hasn't.
  23. May 16, 2012
    I signed up here just to write a review of this game, given all the disappointment that's floating around. I've been a Diablo fan since the first game,.. i played D2 until my eyes bled. Unfortunately, anyone hoping this would be a good continuation, are going to be sadly disappointed. For those in this boat, coming from Diablo 2, what you need to do is forget this is a Diablo game andI signed up here just to write a review of this game, given all the disappointment that's floating around. I've been a Diablo fan since the first game,.. i played D2 until my eyes bled. Unfortunately, anyone hoping this would be a good continuation, are going to be sadly disappointed. For those in this boat, coming from Diablo 2, what you need to do is forget this is a Diablo game and instead consider it a new experience. Whether that new experience is for you, is going to be a personal thing. What I would say is that the release has been so badly managed it's shocking. It's been so bad, that the game has been utterly destroyed by the press based heavily on the login experience. Which actually IS as bad as people make out. My experience was that at 5PM when everyone got home from work at the same time, the servers got hammered. At which point I managed to get in 3 times in 4 hours. All 3 times the connection was unstable and I got booted within 15 minutes. Which wasn't enough time for my friends to get a connection so we could play together. So All in all, I over a 4 hour period I played for 15 minutes, which was mostly just waiting about. Joyous.

Eventually we did get a game in, at about 11pm, when everyone in Europe had gone to bed. For an hour or two. And we kind of enjoyed it.

I'd say that there is also a misconception going around about the length of the game. Don't get me wrong, this is no WoW sized game, but it is much bigger than you would believe reading the reviews. People have quoted finishing the game in 2 hours. You'll only do that if you ignore absolutely all dialogue and run from start to finish as quickly as you possibly can. Ignoring all side quests, and avoiding killing most things. You can do this in almost all games. Look for speed runs on youtube, games that took the average gamer 30+ hours will have speed runs of 1 hour or less. And most of these people are just trying to look l33t. Don't play the game like this, you'll make a mediocre experience worse. Play it properly, explore, see things, do things.

I'm giving this 5/10, I'm trying to look past the login issues and see the bigger picture with that score, it would have been lower.
  24. May 15, 2012
    Too simplified game principles, wow graphics, too many concessions. Poor atmosphere as well. This game is not so good as Diablo 2. I don´t like new health/mana system as well. Character development is very simplified.
  25. May 19, 2012
    It's basically World Of Diablo. With single-player lag. Plot is more rehash.

Pros: Fun click-fest action. Cons: Weak plot. Trite characters. MMO type game-play. Connecting to battle-net to play single player @ 820ms lag is just silly. Conclusion: Worth playing if you liked D1 and D2 and you're hard-up for something better to play. If you absolutely must buy the game, at least hold the
    It's basically World Of Diablo. With single-player lag. Plot is more rehash.

Pros: Fun click-fest action.

Conclusion: Worth playing if you liked D1 and D2 and you're hard-up for something better to play. If you absolutely must buy the game, at least hold the trigger until Blizzard fixes its server problems so you can enjoy your single-player experience lag free. Good grief.
  26. May 23, 2012
    MAJ on 2012-05-22
    Ok, now that I could finally play a few dozen hours, it's time to write a real review. :)
    MAJ on 2012-05-22
    Please keep in mind that I played the 5 classes, although none of them is lvl60, so this is a work-in-progress. Still I have a nice idea of the game now. For those who dont like big text, here's the thing to remember: DIABLO 3 IS FAR FROM EXCEPTIONAL, AND SUFFER SERIOUS SHORTCOMINGS, STILL IT'S A FUN GAME ESPECIALLY WITH FRIENDS.
    + each class has its own role and a few skills/equipment that make them distinctive.
    + aesthetics of the game.
    + works on any decent computer.
    + not just plain mouse-click bashing.
    + new skills system avoids losing hundred hours building a new character to test new strategy, allows to adapt skills depending on the team (and not the contrary).
    - the "hundreds skills per classe" is crap: at least half of them is useless.
    - permanent internet connection is still the WORST **** DRM EVER! Especially with Blizzard being so stupid: not anticipating Day one, updating servers on Sunday afternoon -I mean, Sunday freaking AFTERNOON!!!
    - several ergonomy flaws.
    - loot system broken by design, blatantly oriented to make people trade items at auction house.
    - difficulty curve stupidly steep. You go straight from utterly boring, 0-danger monster massacre to hard survival where you don't even count your lives anymore (much more interesting though, the "normal difficulty" should have been dropped).

OTHER COMMENTS
    Apart from connection problem, the two major flaw I see are:
    1) artificial variety of skills: In spite of so many skills on paper, only a handful will be actually useful. And, unless you play solo on higher difficulties (with monsters having immunities/special powers), you'll never have to change your set skill to win your game. In fact, you're encouraged to play like this, since you accumulate a hidden bonus of magic find which resets when you change active skills. Duh.
    2) loot system purposely broken to make you use Auction House: normal objects only sell a few golds (whatever their quality), magic items not much better, you rarely get an item for your class, stash is insanely expensive and limited. And still, monsters drop stuff by the hundreds, making you lose so much time checking items to pick up the good ones. 3) crafting system useless: the odds of making good items are not much better than your chances to find ones, you have no control whatsoever on generated magic properties, the number of times you can craft is limited, the investment in money is HUGE. Good idea, bad implementation.

FIRST FEEDBACK
    This is sad. I'd like to write a detailed review on this game, and give it a note that would reflect the actual fun potential. Unfortunately, I cannot bypass this outstanding behaviour from Blizzard. They are a VERY BIG editor, so it's not a money problem. They published several massively online multiplayer games already (Diablo 2, WoW, Starcraft 2), so it's not an experience problem. They made people play beta for many months, and made an extensive stress-test one month before actual planned release date; so it's not a preparation problem. BLIZZARD JUST PLAINLY DECIDED TO THROW AWAY USABILITY TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS. So, here are dozen thousand people that pre-ordered or bought on day 0, for a hefty amount of dollars, and they can't even play. And, obviously, general user licence prevent them from having a legal cause for bringing Blizzard into court. I think I've found the problem here. Blizzard doesn't give a **** about his community/fans/users/clients. Only possible retaliation then is: DON'T BUY THIS GAME (yet)!!! ... SERIOUSLY.
  27. Jul 3, 2012
    After more than 200 hours of gameplay, I can objectively say that this game has mixed feelings. Overall, I feel it's a good game, but so many aspects of the game leave me sour. The whole "balancing", be it the loot worth, the weapon mechanics, the auction house, all feel like I'm playing a MMO, even a f2p, instead of playing the great action RPG game D3 should have been. I don't know whyAfter more than 200 hours of gameplay, I can objectively say that this game has mixed feelings. Overall, I feel it's a good game, but so many aspects of the game leave me sour. The whole "balancing", be it the loot worth, the weapon mechanics, the auction house, all feel like I'm playing a MMO, even a f2p, instead of playing the great action RPG game D3 should have been. I don't know why the developers chose to go in that direction, since D3 has no subscription fee. In my opinion, it would have been better to let every players easily acquire awesome loot and plow through Inferno easily than forcing them to grind countless hours in gold and/or gear farming. When you get in the Inferno difficulty, the game changes from being a leisure to being a chore. Almost every problems Blizzard had with illegal activities (bots, etc) resulted in patches that punished the legit players more than the botters. The always-on DRM was supposed to solve many problems, but ended up being a pain more than a solution.

I estimate my enjoyment and experience value of the D3 product to 40$, maximum. In the future, I will be wary of acquiring another Blizzard product, as it will take good convincing from both reviews and friends before considering purchase.
  28. May 16, 2012
    I can't tell this is a 3.5/10 game, but surely it's not a decent game. DRM in 2012 is according to me the less important of the problems which afflict this game. Also the old and quite bad graphic would be acceptable, if the game would be fine. But unfortunately it's not: no potions, no town portal or identification scrolls, no stamina, no skill trees, no personalization of the character,I can't tell this is a 3.5/10 game, but surely it's not a decent game. DRM in 2012 is according to me the less important of the problems which afflict this game. Also the old and quite bad graphic would be acceptable, if the game would be fine. But unfortunately it's not: no potions, no town portal or identification scrolls, no stamina, no skill trees, no personalization of the character, bad plot... definitely it's not Diablo. This game is just a '' catch the mole '', when the only thing u can do is clicking on the enemies from the beginning to the end. And we waited 12 years for this... And the freaking and very simplified crafting system, the only new feature copied (and they did it so bad) from Wow, should really be avoided. Expand
  29. May 15, 2012
    I played this game at the open beta, from that moment; I knew this game was a disappointment. The game itself isn't that bad, but it isn't good either. It's something in between. There are things I don't like AT ALL: The skill system and attributes. You can't distribute your attributes anymore, and the skills aren't as customizable as it should've been. I didn't really have a problem withI played this game at the open beta, from that moment; I knew this game was a disappointment. The game itself isn't that bad, but it isn't good either. It's something in between. There are things I don't like AT ALL: The skill system and attributes. You can't distribute your attributes anymore, and the skills aren't as customizable as it should've been. I didn't really have a problem with need for active connection to play, since I enjoy playing with friends more than playing alone. This game reminds me of WoW but with different angle. (I don't like WoW). But there are few things I like. The gameplay feels fluid and the control is responsive. Also you can choose some skills for your companion as well. I wouldnâ Expand
  30. May 15, 2012
    This is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. ButThis is a serious review with no spoilers. To Blizzard and all developers that read this, DRM is not an option and gamers will not except it EVER. Single Player should mean offline play with NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Anyone giving this a low score because they cannot log in to play are morons. The graphics and sound are obviously going to be good. The story might pass or fail in the end. But this game is a complete failure because of server side DRM being recquired. After so many years when blizzards servers shutdown my children will not enjoy this game because of DRM. Shame on you Blizzard and anyone who supports DRM games with their $$$. Duke Nukem may have been a bad game but at least the steam lets me play single player offline. Also wheres our LAN! Expand
  31. Jun 5, 2012
    Diablo 3 is addictive and rife with problems. The auction house's commodity section (gems, books, etc) has been down for weeks. Your key mapping resets when you quit the game. Elite enemies on Hell difficulty and above pose a greater threat than Diablo himself, killing you if your ping stutters for even a second. And all the equipment you find in game will either be sold or auctioned off.Diablo 3 is addictive and rife with problems. The auction house's commodity section (gems, books, etc) has been down for weeks. Your key mapping resets when you quit the game. Elite enemies on Hell difficulty and above pose a greater threat than Diablo himself, killing you if your ping stutters for even a second. And all the equipment you find in game will either be sold or auctioned off. The auction house is the only place to get decent gear.

The good parts of the game involve combining unlocked skills in different ways to dramatically alter how you approach combat and getting together with 3 other people to cause absolute chaos on the battlefield. I've played 70+ hours, but I think it's time to take a break until Blizzard balances the game.
  32. May 15, 2012
    Overall the game does not meet up the standards in Graphics of today games, the story is kinda good and the gameplay is repetitive and boring, somewhat of a dissapointment.
  33. May 20, 2012
    I previously scored this an 8, but after having played it some more I can honestly say that it doesn't deserve such a high score. The game is based item hunting, however the more common items are usually better than the rarer items, and the Auction House makes it so that you'll be getting most of your upgrades from other people rather than finding them yourself. Item affixes are a problemI previously scored this an 8, but after having played it some more I can honestly say that it doesn't deserve such a high score. The game is based item hunting, however the more common items are usually better than the rarer items, and the Auction House makes it so that you'll be getting most of your upgrades from other people rather than finding them yourself. Item affixes are a problem too, they are terribly uninspired compared to D2:LoD.

I give this game a 6, the combat is good but the game has no longevity with one of its most fundamental systems in such a broken state.
  34. May 15, 2012
    I felt overall the story arc was way too serious in comparison to the other games--I mean, it gets kinda ridiculous toward the end. Diablo is waaaay too easy in this game if you're able to get the right resists. I can't wait to try him on inferno, but ultimately this game is a lot easier and shorter than the other Diablo titles--at least at first. I recommend for new players to play as aI felt overall the story arc was way too serious in comparison to the other games--I mean, it gets kinda ridiculous toward the end. Diablo is waaaay too easy in this game if you're able to get the right resists. I can't wait to try him on inferno, but ultimately this game is a lot easier and shorter than the other Diablo titles--at least at first. I recommend for new players to play as a Wizard--his spells get really good toward the end. Expand
  35. May 15, 2012
    The game is fun, and the crafting systems is deeper than before, but required connection to battle.net has made the game almost unplayable for the first 18 hours of launch. DRM is ruining games and this is a prime example of why.
  36. May 16, 2012
    Nice game overall. The game has evolved in a slightly more irritating way than I had hoped. The skill system is fine, but it's slow and clunky if you want to change 1 skill to another. Not only do you need to click into the skill page, you need to select the corresponding skill tab (there's 6 tabs with their own skills each), you also need to select a rune for the skill to better utilizeNice game overall. The game has evolved in a slightly more irritating way than I had hoped. The skill system is fine, but it's slow and clunky if you want to change 1 skill to another. Not only do you need to click into the skill page, you need to select the corresponding skill tab (there's 6 tabs with their own skills each), you also need to select a rune for the skill to better utilize it. At least they should revamp the runes to be applied automatically based on lvl up and to inherit the benefits for each instead of having like 8 or so runes to choose from.
    I am content with the visuals in the game. I just hope they have built into the engine support for larger resolutions than the 1920x1080 my monitor supports. Unlike Diablo2 that is limited in it's resolution. There are a few instances where the viewing angle dosen't quite do a proper job, but for most of the game I don't have a problem with it.
    I don't like the music in game, while that is a subjective topic, I miss some more grand tunes in the game.
    I find the gameplay smooth (apart from the skills), but I miss the ability to put down my attribute points. On the other hand if it gets to the same uselessnes as in D2LoD (just stacking in 2, and no I'm not a good D2 player) I don't mind the way they have done it. The difficulty in the game is more balanced than what I experienced in D2. I find it a good thing that you don't get a nightmare act1 you can nearly just run though as opposed to D2.

If you take into account Blizzards understatement of ppl that wanted to play, the rating would be more like '2' but I'm not basing my score on that.4283 of 5000 characters remaining. Though Blizzard should give all launchday players something for their troubles signing in. Wasen't World of Warcraft: Cataclysm enough, like the other WoW expansions that launchday needs more capacity to support the players? As I couldn't sign in to D3, I also didn't have access to SC2 or WoW as the Battle.net log in server was down.
    Check box if your review contains spoilers
  37. May 16, 2012
    Now that I've finally had a chance to play the game, I'm updating my earlier review. Pros: It's fun. The graphics are beautiful. It's fairly intuitive. The character classes are different enough to give the game some definite replay value. It's also fairly addictive. The sound is good. I also really like the in-game map. I haven't once had that "where the heck am I supposed to be going?!!"Now that I've finally had a chance to play the game, I'm updating my earlier review. Pros: It's fun. The graphics are beautiful. It's fairly intuitive. The character classes are different enough to give the game some definite replay value. It's also fairly addictive. The sound is good. I also really like the in-game map. I haven't once had that "where the heck am I supposed to be going?!!" moment, which is a huge plus. Cons: The need to be connected to the internet to play is big downside of this game is a big downside. It wasn't something I knew about until just before I purchased it, and by then it was too late to curb my New Game Lust. When I'm at home, it won't be an issue, but I bought a new laptop just for this game, so I could take it with me on trips and such. That appears to have been a waste of money. As for the game itself, I am a bit disappointed in the skill leveling system. In the previous Diablo game, you earned skill points which you could invest in the skills you wanted. It resulted in highly individualised characters, which was a big draw of Diablo 2. Diablo 3 seems to give every character the same abilities as every other character of that class. At any time you can just change which abilities you have equipped and you'll be exactly the same as the next Barbarian or Witch Doctor. This is an aspect that severly HURTS replayability of this game.

On the whole, it's still Diablo, a game I've loved since I was in High School. It just seems like a step down from Diablo 2. Maybe someday they'll come out with a Diablo 2.5, with updated graphics and a new character class or something (and no weird online-only DRM). Until then, this will have to do.
  38. Jun 13, 2012
    Fun game so far, about halfway through ACT II and I'm enjoying the dungeons and storyline (nice that there isn't too much story). Too bad servers keep glitching out so have to give it a red until they fix it. Edit: Bumped it up to 7 since servers have stabilized. The always online pushed it from a 8 to a 7 for me. Edit 2: Inferno balance, lag deaths, aand having server restarts when I'mFun game so far, about halfway through ACT II and I'm enjoying the dungeons and storyline (nice that there isn't too much story). Too bad servers keep glitching out so have to give it a red until they fix it. Edit: Bumped it up to 7 since servers have stabilized. The always online pushed it from a 8 to a 7 for me. Edit 2: Inferno balance, lag deaths, aand having server restarts when I'm pushing my monk to ACT III Inferno with 5 stacks of NV dropped it another 2 to 5. They really messed this title up Expand
  39. Aug 28, 2012
    Diablo 3 could be a great game. I played the game for some time but i got annoyed fast. The real money auction house is something terrible... a "Pay to Win" option in a payed game. I spent 70 euros on the game and then i have to grind hours and hours to find a weapon that sucks? Or i have to spend more money in the aution house? Besides that... the game becames to BOOOORIN! Random maps areDiablo 3 could be a great game. I played the game for some time but i got annoyed fast. The real money auction house is something terrible... a "Pay to Win" option in a payed game. I spent 70 euros on the game and then i have to grind hours and hours to find a weapon that sucks? Or i have to spend more money in the aution house? Besides that... the game becames to BOOOORIN! Random maps are not so random (after 3-4 times they repeat) and the elite packs with random powers are absolutley terrible. Expand
  40. Aug 15, 2012
    The novelty of this game wears off extremely quickly and becomes a repetitive grind. This holds true when you have to complete the campaign 3 times just to reach the max level.
  41. Jun 26, 2012
    After playing D3 for close to 70 hours now, I have to say that while it has fun moments, it has overall been quite a disappointment. I absolutely loved D2, and logged hundreds of hours playing it over a decade ago. D3, unfortunately, does not live up to the legacy of D2. I feel as though I got my money's worth in the time I played and a somewhat enjoyable story.. But as a Diablo game, itAfter playing D3 for close to 70 hours now, I have to say that while it has fun moments, it has overall been quite a disappointment. I absolutely loved D2, and logged hundreds of hours playing it over a decade ago. D3, unfortunately, does not live up to the legacy of D2. I feel as though I got my money's worth in the time I played and a somewhat enjoyable story.. But as a Diablo game, it falls very short. Expand
  42. Oct 14, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a game that remains more or less true to its predecessors. If you enjoy hitting logs, skeletons, or pots, and watching a shower of gold and items fall to the ground, you will be pleased the core mechanics are unchanged. I enjoyed the art direction of D3 - it is neither cartoony nor 'bright', and the story feels more focused and interesting, though it only gets in the way duringDiablo 3 is a game that remains more or less true to its predecessors. If you enjoy hitting logs, skeletons, or pots, and watching a shower of gold and items fall to the ground, you will be pleased the core mechanics are unchanged. I enjoyed the art direction of D3 - it is neither cartoony nor 'bright', and the story feels more focused and interesting, though it only gets in the way during subsequent playthroughs. The current ability system actually works fairly well, letting you swap skills and customization on the fly. D3 has some downsides though, some of which are fairly minor and metagamey while others are serious. It's got an internet connection requirement, but let's face it, it's not 1996 anymore. The lack of talent trees or stat placement some people may miss, but I found the trees bloated, and requirements for gear was kind of annoying. The itemization for gear is terrible. Fully half of the things you find have stats that are of no benefit to *anyone*. STR wand? Come on now. Furthermore this applies to legendary items as well; something that should be an awesome find is too often vendor trash. This ties in with the auction house, which I feel completely subverts the point of the game - 'play, loot, upgrade' is now 'shop, buy, upgrade'. So, I don't know. D2 was a great game, and D3 could easily be a worthy sequel with some work, but there are a lot of things going on that will probably make you stop playing after a week. Expand
  43. May 15, 2012
    Honestly what's with the bad reviews? I've played this game for 2-3 hours now and it's been great so far. I can see that the skills are very different and versatile, and will hopefully be fun to use.
  44. Jul 23, 2013
    pros:
    - a much awaited Diablo sequel. I know I wanted this game for 10 years
    - very fast loading - decent graphics - coop cons: - there are too few skills to play around in each class and once the difficulty romps up the options are taken out completely - unless you want to double/tripple/quadriple boring farming of the same areas you must use in game auction. that in turn leads
    pros:
    - a much awaited Diablo sequel. I know I wanted this game for 10 years
    - very fast loading
    - decent graphics
    - coop

cons:
    - unless you want to double/tripple/quadriple boring farming of the same areas you must use in game auction. that in turn leads to mudflation. now in 2013 it is possible to get end game gear that allows easy entry into inferno(mp++) with no effort. Getting said gear on your own is impossible. The time spend auctioning is wasted. I'd rather be playing the game then the auction house with virtual items... it is basicly an in game character editor/cheat system that takes hours instead of minutes to get desired results.
    - in 2013 I've acquired enough power to kill anything in the game in under 50 hours solo leaving me with no challenge ahead or desire to play
    - there is noticeable lag related issues like getting killed by unknown force and attacks not registering fast enough leading to death even with latency below 150 in single player.
    - diablo 2 mega annoying random boss system is back but now that players do not have to instant refresh skills and the whole system being much much slower than d2 which isnt a good thing.
    - the only thing that was improved over d2 is graphics and even that is arguable as instead of dark hellish feel the game now feels like WoW.
    - all the maps are now static ...
    - character development does not exist/removed

the rest is imo:
    - an alright game to play once on normal. The rest of the difficulties area actually easier than normal and feature exactly the same content. For me who played d1/d2 a lot d3 feels like a sluggish version of the same game with extra quirks due to internet lag and included in game cheat system called auction house. Characters terribly lack customization options.
  45. Jul 18, 2012
    D3 was certainly not what I expected. The game has become to focused around the Auction House, which unfortunately seems to be the primary focus around the Blizzard updates. Gameplay is meh at best, and after the first few playthroughs you may realize that it will not provide the sustained longevity that made D2 such a big hit. The graphics are decent, the interface is intuitive, but toD3 was certainly not what I expected. The game has become to focused around the Auction House, which unfortunately seems to be the primary focus around the Blizzard updates. Gameplay is meh at best, and after the first few playthroughs you may realize that it will not provide the sustained longevity that made D2 such a big hit. The graphics are decent, the interface is intuitive, but to me those are primarily aesthetic and don't necessarily make for a good game I was hoping that I would get a lot more play out of this game but unfortunately I've already moved on. Expand
  46. Jun 19, 2012
    Given my experience with Starcraft and Warcraft, I was expecting a lot more from Blizzard here. While the game looks great and is fun for the first three playthroughs (Normal, Nightmare, Hell), the final mode (Inferno) sends enemies at you that can have combinations of abilities that are impossible to beat on a given class type, even when well-geared. This is not fun at all - I wouldGiven my experience with Starcraft and Warcraft, I was expecting a lot more from Blizzard here. While the game looks great and is fun for the first three playthroughs (Normal, Nightmare, Hell), the final mode (Inferno) sends enemies at you that can have combinations of abilities that are impossible to beat on a given class type, even when well-geared. This is not fun at all - I would have preferred to see difficulty increase in a way that rewards skill over luck of the draw, so that I could improve my chances with practice.

Additionally, they just recently (v1.03) modified the attack speed stat, such that my expensive purchase (all the gold I had in the game) for two legendary set piece weapons (Danetta's Oath) are now practically useless, and I cannot recover my investment as they are no longer desirable to anyone on the auction house. Rather than spend hours or real money re-gearing my character, I'm just going to move on to another title.
  47. Sep 24, 2012
    Diablo 3, somewhat a step back from diablo 2.

Diablo 3, somewhat a step back from diablo 2.

Though the graphics is much better, many of the original aspect of the game is lacking. First would be the skills and character build customization. With every patch, it just seems blizzard is changing the skills enough so people would stop using their current configuration and adopt a different one. Although it is debatable not selecting stats was a good thing, I feel it was just missing an aspect for you to actually explore different built path. Because of how they worked scaling, there could really be one stat allocation method anyways. So I guess it is a fine thing they locked the stats lvling since 90% of the stats come from equip anyways.

Diablo 3 had a rough start at first. Now Blizzard is putting forth more changes and making big improvements to the system. Now there are slightly more balanced skills minus some obvious mistakes of changing 300% to 1500% more damage (as the primary thing that pissed me off, how did they even release it like this). Regardless things are getting over simplified, skills are almost all the same across all players of the same class with every patch. Tried to make people have a choice, but in the end a few clicks away and change the entire build to adjust to the patch changes.

Crafting system for equipment is beyond terrible now. People can easily find ilvl 63 items and hope to get something alright than get a godly ilvl62 crafted item which is just equiv in stats to that ilvl 63. Diablo 3 did do well with letting people have individual drops. The norm and nightmare mode is reasonable for difficulty as well, letting fresh players have a lot of fun playing it. After that it is mostly gear grind or just spend a little on the auction house to get all the top gear and breeze through the difficulties (another aspect that really annoyed me, RMAH)
  48. Sep 25, 2012
    Amazing graphics. Fun story, but pointless after first play through. IF you enjoy the grind then the game is fine...otherwise it gets old fast. Feels like a player has to constantly buy stuff from the auction house for good loot and to progress in the game. Crafting rarely gives you anything of value.

They should have tuned normal to be nightmare difficulty to provide some challenge to the game up front.
  49. Sep 25, 2012
    I give this a 5 because it just can't seem to fall on one side of the fence towards good or bad. This game was very fun and new for Act 1, but it just becomes numbingly empty after that.

Perhaps in the future Blizzard will put out a better Diablo that has learned lessons from games such as Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2!

Come on Blizz, do better next time!
  50. Nov 16, 2012
    I waited patiently for many years for Diablo. I had pre-ordered and waited months to actually play the game. I never used my BETA invite such was my anticipation for this game. My first run through was truly epic, I had read no spoilers at all and I was completely overwhelmed by what was unfolding before me. However I felt the chore of levelling in only my second play through and I reallyI waited patiently for many years for Diablo. I had pre-ordered and waited months to actually play the game. I never used my BETA invite such was my anticipation for this game. My first run through was truly epic, I had read no spoilers at all and I was completely overwhelmed by what was unfolding before me. However I felt the chore of levelling in only my second play through and I really can't get over the feeling of a 3D platform game, it really feels that linear to me. It doesn't feel like I'm in this desolate world where I can go and explore and just murder hordes of creeps. Cinematics are some of the best I have ever seen, the story is good, but the re-playability is poor. DRM is a bad idea but understandable with real money in the mix, although I never used the RMAH an option to not use it and play offline would have been acceptable Expand
  51. Jun 25, 2012
    Hi, I played Diablo Diablo 2 and of course all Blizzard games, Starcraft was awesome but this years Diablo 3 does not simply meet high Blizzard games level. Mediocre story, world of warcraft copying, connection issues, confusing auction house , repeating game again and again to get required items, stupid mobs difficulty based on your dps and not skill. It simply is not worth 60 euros IHi, I played Diablo Diablo 2 and of course all Blizzard games, Starcraft was awesome but this years Diablo 3 does not simply meet high Blizzard games level. Mediocre story, world of warcraft copying, connection issues, confusing auction house , repeating game again and again to get required items, stupid mobs difficulty based on your dps and not skill. It simply is not worth 60 euros I paid. "Thank you" Blizzard, I bought all your games but will use cracked version next time to compensate this sh...... Expand
  52. X0R
    Jun 11, 2012
    In a nutshell, I wasted $60 buying this and regret wasting the money. Could have been a really great game like the oldie, but is a clusterfck instead loaded with poor-performance on my high-end pc, and within a few days was trying to think of a reason to login.
  53. Jul 4, 2012
    The huge contrast between critics and user opinions is very shameful. Bribery seems rampant between devs and crits. Is it possible that all but one critic doesn't have a clue? No, it's not. Maybe if we had honest reviews there would be less pirating due to people getting ripped off by slanted reviews on mediocre games, like Diablo 3.
  54. Jul 4, 2012
    D3 was a pretty big disappointment for me, constant connection problems, being forced to be on the internet to play a single player game, constant breaks in the animation and lag, even though i'm on a dedicated fiber provider. Overall the gameplay was fun, I started with a barbarian. Gameplay was interesting at times you felt like the hulk just totally unstoppable and then would get 1D3 was a pretty big disappointment for me, constant connection problems, being forced to be on the internet to play a single player game, constant breaks in the animation and lag, even though i'm on a dedicated fiber provider. Overall the gameplay was fun, I started with a barbarian. Gameplay was interesting at times you felt like the hulk just totally unstoppable and then would get 1 shotted by some random mini boss. Big main story bosses are jokes, very easy, but random ones you encounter will kill you easily. Overall it was a bit confusing.

The plot was okay, it felt very rushed, which seems crazy for something that took 12 years to make. Cinematics are mind blowing good, but still with odd plot jumps. Final ending felt sad and not in tune with Diablo 1 and 2 storyline.

Biggest thing for me is the forced online gameplay and lag spikes throughout gameplay. Even world of warcraft isn
  55. Aug 28, 2012
    The game is great to play with friends from lvl 1 to lvl 60 (about 3-4 days). It has nice effects, appealing graphics, dynamic combat. However, it becomes boring at lvl 60, as it gets repetitive and turns into a grinding game. Bots own the game economy, the difficulty level is mostly inadequate. Maybe future patches will change this: who knows?
  56. Oct 7, 2012
    While its not a horrible game, its nowhere near the greatness that was Diablo 2. Its been turned into a money making masses game that caters to casual players and asks that people give blizzard even more money through the real money auction house. While its mildly interesting for a while, the people that enjoyed Diablo 2 for its depth and longevity will quickly realise how shallow andWhile its not a horrible game, its nowhere near the greatness that was Diablo 2. Its been turned into a money making masses game that caters to casual players and asks that people give blizzard even more money through the real money auction house. While its mildly interesting for a while, the people that enjoyed Diablo 2 for its depth and longevity will quickly realise how shallow and actually rushed the game was. As I write this the game STILL doesnt have PVP and the endgame is an utter joke and a horribly bad joke at that. The blizzard I used to respect didnt release a game until it was finished and after playing through the game til the end which doesnt take very long, you're kind of left scratching your head. Diablo 2 had rinse and repeat gameplay but for as many hours as I put into that game, I never leveled a character to 99 and even though I would leave the game for a while, a month later and the game was still fun to go back to. In diablo 3, I leveled my character to 60 in under a week and after hours of grinding without any new levels, they decide to finally add paragon levels which added about 4 more hours of gameplay for me personally. After I solo killed Diablo on Inferno, theres literally only grinding left. No PVP and just no fun. No fun quests to add sockets, to give skill points, anything like that.

If you havent played the Diablo series at all and are new to hack n slash games, I would say its not a bad purchase if you just want some mindless fun with friends for month or so. The game looks good and runs well. The game mechanics are easy enough to pick up and play without any problems, but honestly, this personal review is aimed at people that havent played the game yet and are curious about picking it up as the hardcore fans have all typically played and decided whether or not its worth another 100 hours. In the end, its not the sequel fans wanted or were waiting for in my opinion and Jay Wilson should probably take responsibility for letting down the true fans of the game. Also, while it does offer some fun, at this point I think there are better options such as Torchlight 2 which only drains your funds by 20$ for at least just as much fun.
  57. Jun 11, 2012
    I am willing to look past the launch day errors and habitual server problems. However, I am not able to look past the flatness of Diablo 3's game play and storylines. I really can't see myself playing this game anymore; I mean how many times can a person do the same acts over and over before it becomes boring and tedious?
  58. Jun 22, 2012
    IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU: My account was banned, Blizzard claimed I had unauthorized third party software on my computer. I have no idea what they are talking about, I've come up with a list of things I have installed that might be causing the problem. Dual boot linux, Avast antivirus, Logitech gaming keyboard, and the f.lux brightness tool. Nothing even related to D3. If you buy this game,IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU: My account was banned, Blizzard claimed I had unauthorized third party software on my computer. I have no idea what they are talking about, I've come up with a list of things I have installed that might be causing the problem. Dual boot linux, Avast antivirus, Logitech gaming keyboard, and the f.lux brightness tool. Nothing even related to D3. If you buy this game, be warned: Blizzard can take it away from you at any time and they don't even have to justify it. Expand
  59. Aug 25, 2012
    Visuals - as my casual gamer sister said when she caught me playing diablo 3: the graphics are way too Ragnarok-like for a game about demons. For me it would kind of work if the graphics were oriented for a game such as Bastion but it just doesn´t fit the mood here; maybe I´m not the target market for this stuff, perhaps it was never intended for a mature audience. But evenVisuals - as my casual gamer sister said when she caught me playing diablo 3: the graphics are way too Ragnarok-like for a game about demons. For me it would kind of work if the graphics were oriented for a game such as Bastion but it just doesn´t fit the mood here; maybe I´m not the target market for this stuff, perhaps it was never intended for a mature audience. But even then starcraft 2 is graphically darker than this.
    Leveling up - the whole chain of evolution is visually available from the very beginning and as you receive new abilities just by leveling up you test them and see their uselessness and go back to your previous killer formula. You have no paths to choose and/or costumize your character, it 's just a straight line ahead without much thinking nor branch working.
    Level design - as most maps are "randomly" generated you should finished them the first time you encounter them since if you logout and login minutes later the whole configuration will be disposed in a different lego-like block struture. This is nice in a way because it gives a more "challenging" map but as you don't interact very much with the scenery, the traps in it for you to use against enemies are useless, you just pass through a painterly wallpaper most of the time having enemies mostly as a mean to reduce game progression. Besides the dungeons everthing is a straight line and even the dungeons only serve to explore and find the audiologs in diaries form, which works a lot better in bioshock than here. A world-map sandbox universe would have worked wonders here (zelda like or even metroid like), instead they made as straight lined as Final Fantasy XIII, probably even more.
    History: everything is so handed down and the hand holding just never stops, pretty much this whole game history can be totally explained in 4 phrases. And don't get me wrong, they have some nice points, although I still have my doubts about what deserved a CGI cutscene and what didn't, the way which it was treated and served mostly ruined it for me, a very Disney/Pixar approach.
    I just finished a demon hunter 4 Acts playthrough and I had as friendly AI to fight the demons a thief, an arcanist and a templar like guy. Where were the monks, mages and wizards? And Tyrael's uselessness is unbelievable...
    I wonder how courageous or just ill-willing the producers were to pull this out and give us a collector edition with diablo 2 and its expasion along with it. Probably just lazy and greedy.
    On its own it's hardly one of the worst games I've played but not in the spectrum of the bests either. Also it doesn't add anything new to the mixture, so it doesn't even have the excuse of being experimental. Sadly more disappointing than starcraft 2.
  60. Jun 23, 2012
    I created an account on this site just to review this game. I'm going to break this post down by the pros and cons of this game and its developer.

Pros: -better graphics -new classes -professions -cool animations -rune system diversity -porting to allies -identifying/porting fix -AH Cons: -online only -lack of story and short campaign -initial server problems (no excuse

Pros:
    -better graphics
    -new classes
    -professions
    -cool animations
    -rune system diversity
    -porting to allies
    -identifying/porting fix
    -AH

Cons:
    -online only
    -lack of story and short campaign
    -initial server problems (no excuse for that)
    -constant nerfs to gold/itemization outside of AH
    -RMAH
    -under powered professions

Overall the game felt more like an expansion. Whats really been pissing me off lately is how these developers are trying to find new ways to scheme more money out of people. Nowadays when I pay $60 for a game, generally you can expect 6-8 solid hours of gaming. This feels like a fraction of the time it took me to complete games back in the day AND they were less expensive. Now games have monthly fees, DLC which cost more $, the RMAH % cut, and all these other methods for making more money and giving us less of a game. Quite frankly I'm sick and tired of this ****

I was an avid player of D2 and had big expectations for D3. There was a big part of my problem right there, but why not expect big things? Blizz has the money, the talent, the fan base, and the time to create some solid games but here lately I'm just not seeing it.

I think the user review here isn't accurate but the professional critic reviews are equally as inaccurate. Out of the GBs of space Blizzard's games require you'd expect more out of this game. If you were content paying $60 just to play the game through once or twice then more power to you. But if your me you can't help but agonize at the bastardization from D2 to this wannabe D3.

For me video games are becoming like the movies. Create a hot trailer with a few big names which bring a certain revenue then insert the camera into someone's anal cavity and start filming and expect people not to download it. I'm sorry but I can't support these corporations who are going to put profit > product. If you have a good product the profit will always be there, but the emphasis needs to be on the product.

These companies are more concerned with getting away with the bare minimum to achieve maximum profit then have the audacity to sell us more stuff on the side that should have initially been included.
  61. Jun 18, 2012
    As a big fan of Blizzard Entertainment (WoW player for 5 years and played the original Warcraft and Diablo) I was kinda excited about the release of Diablo 3, but I was fairly disappointed. It could have been an AMAZING game... maybe 5+ years ago. The graphics are decent, and the spells look pretty cool. The game play once you get used to it is pretty fun and easy (definitely differentAs a big fan of Blizzard Entertainment (WoW player for 5 years and played the original Warcraft and Diablo) I was kinda excited about the release of Diablo 3, but I was fairly disappointed. It could have been an AMAZING game... maybe 5+ years ago. The graphics are decent, and the spells look pretty cool. The game play once you get used to it is pretty fun and easy (definitely different from typical MMORPG play style). The story line is probably the best thing about it thus far, well, that and that you can have your friends join you. Since I got this game for free with my year contract with WoW I really can't complain, it helps subdue boredom, but I can honestly say that if I had bought this game I'd be highly pissed. All in all I'd say its GOOD... but definitely not "10+ years to make good" Expand
  62. Jul 2, 2012
    Played to lvl 60. The gameplay isn't bad at all. The launch problems did get a lot of people mad but that's all fixed by now. It' a hunter- gatherer game deal with it. You kill, collect, keep the usables, sell the rest to other players, buy what you need from other players and kill some more. There is one thing I don't really like and I wish they'd change it: You can't create a clean newPlayed to lvl 60. The gameplay isn't bad at all. The launch problems did get a lot of people mad but that's all fixed by now. It' a hunter- gatherer game deal with it. You kill, collect, keep the usables, sell the rest to other players, buy what you need from other players and kill some more. There is one thing I don't really like and I wish they'd change it: You can't create a clean new game. All your gold and all your stashed item are shared by all your heroes. So basically when someone else wants to play they can spend all your gold and take or sell all your stashed items. I'm not saying that anyone will actually do that but what if I want to create a new hero and play from scratch? Expand
  63. Jul 14, 2012
    Normal difficulty is so easy that it is simply a chore to play through. Nightmare is only really challenging with a full group that is under geared or just inexperienced. The game doesn't feel like Diablo until just about Hell difficulty, which is a shame. Additionally, the always on connection require to even load the game is unforgivable. And lastly, the system by which LegendaryNormal difficulty is so easy that it is simply a chore to play through. Nightmare is only really challenging with a full group that is under geared or just inexperienced. The game doesn't feel like Diablo until just about Hell difficulty, which is a shame. Additionally, the always on connection require to even load the game is unforgivable. And lastly, the system by which Legendary items are generated seems completely busted, as you are much more likely to gain useless junk or at best, a decent item that is outclassed by a [yellow] type item of the same level.

Story wise, not as compelling as Diablo 2, and the in game cut scenes are shockingly bad compared to Starcraft 2's in engine work. Unfortunately, some key moments in the plot are told this way, rather than in actual cinematics. Overall, the game is necessarily BAD, however it fails to live up to its legendary predecessor.
  64. Sep 4, 2012
    The game is not bad it is great the first couple of hours then it gets really boring, The music is great, the graphics look awesome on max settings, the combat is great even though the game favors ranged classes over melee, all classes are fun to play, the dungeons are random so you at least get something different every time you visit one. Those are the strong points of the game, now forThe game is not bad it is great the first couple of hours then it gets really boring, The music is great, the graphics look awesome on max settings, the combat is great even though the game favors ranged classes over melee, all classes are fun to play, the dungeons are random so you at least get something different every time you visit one. Those are the strong points of the game, now for the bad ones, the story is very predictable, the game feels so short... you have to play on higher difficulties to get your money's worth, so you have to go back and play the same story until you get to Inferno, when the game becomes a grind for gear or for money to buy gear.

I had a lot of fun my first play-through which lasted around 2 days, it started to get boring after that, i don't see a reason to play this game anymore, it's a lot of fun to play with friends but other than that it gets boring soon. If you are expecting an experience like the one D2 delivered, you will not find it here, they stripped the game of all the difficulty, even on Inferno, i've found myself dying to enrage timers more than lack of skill, the game forces you to grind for gear or buy from the real money auction house. Unless you don't have anything to do and like spending all your time doing mindless unrewarding farming don't buy the game, even with the new paragon system the game feels like a chore, really boring.
  65. Sep 23, 2012
    Diablo 3 is not a bad game. It's main problem is that the rewards come more from the AH or the RMAH than from the pure gameplay. If you are a purist of the "I use only what I loot", good luck! Be ready to grind more than in a Korean mmo. Seriously. The real fun in diablo 3 is when you are already well equipped and so you can wipe dozens of monsters with a single hit. The graphic is good,Diablo 3 is not a bad game. It's main problem is that the rewards come more from the AH or the RMAH than from the pure gameplay. If you are a purist of the "I use only what I loot", good luck! Be ready to grind more than in a Korean mmo. Seriously. The real fun in diablo 3 is when you are already well equipped and so you can wipe dozens of monsters with a single hit. The graphic is good, the sound is excellent, you may experience quite often some lag due to the forced online singleplayer. If you can bear that and you like to grind like there's no tomorrow, well, Diablo 3 is the game for you. Expand
  66. Jul 2, 2012
    This game is really mediocre. The mandatory connection to play is a rape. Game play wise is a dumbed down version on Diablo 2. RMAH is a joke too. Stay away from this game.
  67. Aug 7, 2012
    This is a mediocre game, by all accounts. HOWEVER, the hype around it with the promise of getting "rich" of the real money auction house has attracted many players looking for an addiction. Blizzard has corrupted their game with what they have learned from WoW. I am sorry, but it seems that all the critics were blind and deaf. This is not a very good game. In a world where we have gamesThis is a mediocre game, by all accounts. HOWEVER, the hype around it with the promise of getting "rich" of the real money auction house has attracted many players looking for an addiction. Blizzard has corrupted their game with what they have learned from WoW. I am sorry, but it seems that all the critics were blind and deaf. This is not a very good game. In a world where we have games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Braid/Limbo/that great indie game/ this is a mediocre game looking to get you hooked on loot. Please snap out of it! Expand
  68. May 17, 2012
    I can't in good faith award this any other score than zero. Ignoring the hype, ignoring the pedigree that is Blizzard, ignoring Diablo I and II, ignoring all of that, approaching this game without any of those hang-ups. I am disappointed, nay, extremely disappointed. This is marketed and priced as a AAA game and it is anything but. If you are lucky enough to get past the the log-in screen,I can't in good faith award this any other score than zero. Ignoring the hype, ignoring the pedigree that is Blizzard, ignoring Diablo I and II, ignoring all of that, approaching this game without any of those hang-ups. I am disappointed, nay, extremely disappointed. This is marketed and priced as a AAA game and it is anything but. If you are lucky enough to get past the the log-in screen, a somewhat amusing game awaits you. Highly linear and taking zero risks, Diablo III has the distinct feeling of being utterly uninspired and serves more as a money making machine rather than a labor of love. Adding a black eye to the whole affair, the always-online DRM increasingly adds to the frustration of the Diablo III experience. Had I known nothing about the developers of this title, I would have assumed that it was a browser game as that is it's true competitor. This is certainly no AAA title. Expand
  69. Jun 28, 2012
    I never thought I'd see the day that I'd right a Blizzard game a low review. Yet here we stand at that day. To understand what it is about this game that is such a letdown and overall makes the game so poor, you need to know what Diablo 3 was meant to be. It's name implies it is supposed to be a sequel to Diablo 2, and therefore it should be Diablo 2, but better, right? Well it isn't.I never thought I'd see the day that I'd right a Blizzard game a low review. Yet here we stand at that day. To understand what it is about this game that is such a letdown and overall makes the game so poor, you need to know what Diablo 3 was meant to be. It's name implies it is supposed to be a sequel to Diablo 2, and therefore it should be Diablo 2, but better, right? Well it isn't. Diablo 3 is the bastard offspring of Diablo 2 and Call of Duty. The bones of Diablo 2 are there, but they have been covered by the awful casualization and monetization of the CoD franchise. So what do we have? Always-online-DRM, causing single player lag and forcing you to have an internet connection to play. Massively inconvenient. The RMAH. Blizzard takes a 15% cut. Do you know why? Because this game is built around you using the RMAH. They want your money, pure and simple. The RMAH isn't for your convenience, just so Blizzard can "sneakily" take your money. The Story is atrocious. I came in expecting Blizzard level story-telling and got a terrible, poorly thought out plot with forgettable characters, bad voice acting, and embarrassing dialogue. Never has a fantasy game made me wish I wasn't playing a fantasy game before. Gameplay is solid, but the game itself is boring, lacking any of the customization of D2, or the charm, or the fun of playing with friends (yay, I can play with four people, because this game is made for consoles). This is really something I never thought would happen. But the immaculate Blizzard has done us wrong. I'd have happily pre-ordered every game from them till the end of time, but after this fiasco? Blizzard has lost a customer, and a fan. Rating: 4.9/10 Expand
  70. Sep 13, 2012
    This game is great until you get to the hardest difficulty. Once you hit that the game becomes so hard its unbearable. If you don't plan on replaying it over and over then its a good (not great) dungeon crawler but if you are like me and expected something close to Diablo 2 with the hardest difficulty actually being possible then don't be surprised when you are forced to use the auctionThis game is great until you get to the hardest difficulty. Once you hit that the game becomes so hard its unbearable. If you don't plan on replaying it over and over then its a good (not great) dungeon crawler but if you are like me and expected something close to Diablo 2 with the hardest difficulty actually being possible then don't be surprised when you are forced to use the auction house to advance any further in the game. I put likely hundreds of hours into Diablo 2 over multiple years, that will not be the case with this game as I have no desire to ever go back and play it. Expand
  71. Oct 6, 2012
    A very bipolar game. The graphics, sound, art, and environments are incredible. The combat is fluid and great fun. But the soul of Diablo has been removed from D3, with its terrible loot system, horrible balance, and dumbing down of statistics. The Auction House severely damages the game since everything is balanced around it. The story is so terrible...it makes a mockery of belovedA very bipolar game. The graphics, sound, art, and environments are incredible. The combat is fluid and great fun. But the soul of Diablo has been removed from D3, with its terrible loot system, horrible balance, and dumbing down of statistics. The Auction House severely damages the game since everything is balanced around it. The story is so terrible...it makes a mockery of beloved characters. To sum up, D3 is a wild ride that ultimately disappoints. This is Diablo in name only. Play it for 30 hours then quit because it doesn't deserve more of your time. A sad state of affairs... Expand
  72. Jun 13, 2012
    Considering the hype for this game and the large fan base looking forward to its release with huge expectations, disappointment was to be anticipated in some form. The always online thing is a bummer, for starters, but that is nothing that surprised me out of Blizzard. What did surprise me was the startling mediocrity of the game in terms of visual style, sound and voices, in-game videosConsidering the hype for this game and the large fan base looking forward to its release with huge expectations, disappointment was to be anticipated in some form. The always online thing is a bummer, for starters, but that is nothing that surprised me out of Blizzard. What did surprise me was the startling mediocrity of the game in terms of visual style, sound and voices, in-game videos and quest design. These things are tolerable, although I personally hate the way everything out of Blizzard is becoming more and more cartoony and World-of-Warcraft-looking. The storytelling on the other hand is not mediocre - it's frankly terrible. Where the fascinating background lore could have been worked into an enticing, mysterious storyline, it was not. The characters are simply laughable. I really hated listening to most of them. Opponents like the "Lord of Lies" will be so daft, I found myself wondering what the target age group for the game actually is.

Yes, Diablo 3 is fun if you play through it once, maybe level up to 60 and go hunting for some gear if that's your thing, but personally I will put it on the shelf for now. I've spent my money on worse games though, so 5 out of 10 is about right.
  73. Jun 5, 2012
    Despite the slick visuals and tight responsive gameplay controls, after 50 hours this game has become a frustrating chore and makes a cardinal sin of gaming: its boring. Even ignoring the stability issues, its been a massive disappointment. Where to begin? The storyline is intrusive, repetitive, and cliched; it was passable the first playthrough but every subsequent game consists of 'whoDespite the slick visuals and tight responsive gameplay controls, after 50 hours this game has become a frustrating chore and makes a cardinal sin of gaming: its boring. Even ignoring the stability issues, its been a massive disappointment. Where to begin? The storyline is intrusive, repetitive, and cliched; it was passable the first playthrough but every subsequent game consists of 'who can cancel the dialgoue/cutscene' the fastest. Not only is the story painfully executed, but the checkpoint system is inconsistent -- completed 3/4ths of a questline in public group, restart solo and you have to start over entirely. Classes are fundamentally broken. 10 years later, and the melee penalty for barbarians and monks still exist...but you won't really suffer from them, until late hell and inferno levels where instant-death is commonplace. Witchdoctors are the pet class, but their pets don't scale and become useless after 30 hours of play. The inferno difficulty is being cleared, but primarily through overgearing and players with hundreds of hours of play (or guilds/friends/sponsors farming items for them). The difficulty curve becomes so steep, that its no longer fun to play. Molten Illusionist Jailer champions will kill 4 players, and continually kill them after dozens of respawns. The game is being solved primarily through overgearing classes and ignoring core mechanics.

The multiplayer functionality is horrible. You cannot browse open games. Chat menus are buried deep within the game. General chat is now enabled by default, to solve a problem where some players were being dropped from the game because tehy weren't part of chat. This allows us to see all the gold selling spam, that was supposedly to be elimianted through the glorious Real Money Auction House (still not working) and battle.net authentication. This will be the last Blizzard product I buy based on their reputation. Save yourself $40, and buy Torchlight 2 -- less intrusive DRM, same or better gameplay, more players (6 vs 4), mod support, and a better soundtrack.
  74. Jun 6, 2012
    I think Blizzard was confused when they developed this game, because of the online requirement just for the single player side of things is down right silly. I shouldn't have to log into a server to play a single player game. Mediocre story, dumb down character development, the only thing worthwhile is the animation and updated graphics. other than that it's overall not what I wouldI think Blizzard was confused when they developed this game, because of the online requirement just for the single player side of things is down right silly. I shouldn't have to log into a server to play a single player game. Mediocre story, dumb down character development, the only thing worthwhile is the animation and updated graphics. other than that it's overall not what I would have expected. Torchlight 2 must carry the proverbial torch I guess... haha at least they have a much better character system. Expand
  75. Jun 10, 2012
    The long awaited return of Diablo III leaves me feeling somewhat disappointed. Overall the gameplay has that old school Diablo feel, but the old school feeling only goes so far and does not warrant $60. It's fun for a few playthroughs with friends, but it gets stale quickly. The loot system is hit or miss and ultimately one finds themself resorting to the auction house to acquire decentThe long awaited return of Diablo III leaves me feeling somewhat disappointed. Overall the gameplay has that old school Diablo feel, but the old school feeling only goes so far and does not warrant $60. It's fun for a few playthroughs with friends, but it gets stale quickly. The loot system is hit or miss and ultimately one finds themself resorting to the auction house to acquire decent gear. The crafting system is awful for it's cost in combination with the utter randomness of the crafting results. The old school adherence to point and click movement is annoying at bes;, frustrating and outdated is a more apt description. The lack of any customization when creating characters is disappointing, but I guess it is a minor issue (at least you can pick a gender). The only real replay factor for me came from the classes and how differently they play. However the core gameplay feels repetitive and grindy after a couple playthroughs. The general chat is a joke; it is just a breeding ground for gold seller spam. In the end I feel like Blizzard made this game ultimately for the Real Money Auction House.; which is the one feature of the game I will never use, partly because I am already done with game but mainly because I find the whole concept distasteful and greed oriented. I played for a few weeks before becoming more than bored with the game...I guess I got my money's worth out of it. But the overall game does not best reflect the amount of time they spent developing it. Expand
  76. Jun 11, 2012
    The gameplay is good until you get into hell difficulty and higher. At this point you are forced into the auction house to stay on the gear curve. Also there develops a huge difficulty disparity between the elite packs of enemies that can really disrupt gameplay.

If you are looking to play through the game on normal and maybe nightmare, this game is fun and engaging. After that, game play flaws become apparent in the higher difficulties as the game starts revolve around your ability to run for your life.. My review is based on the entirety of content I have experienced as a witchdoctor which includes Act 1 of inferno.
  77. Jun 24, 2012
    Diablo 3 has good art design and passably entertaining character class design. It suffers from bad gameplay, story-writing, and game-balancing.

Regarding gameplay, D3 majorly suffered from lacking proper incentives to kill things. Prior to a late nerf, the most efficient way of making gold, for example, was not to kill monsters or bosses, but to do speed runs breaking urns wearing gold find gear. This was extremely more lucrative than fighting any mobs. Further, there wasn't any substantial reward for killing elites (and no more reward for killing particularly hard elites). The item drops in the game were extremely subpar. The best way to play the game involved farming gold and buying items at the auction house, and using gimmicks to avoid difficult elite monsters. Put simply, there wasn't any incentive in D3 to be strategic or intelligent in gameplay. Further, farming wasn't rewarding as well, as having to break urns for hours to get a decent amount of gold on end is, to be honest, kind of pathetic. Regarding story-writing, put simply the story was incredibly cheesy and neither interesting nor immersive.

Regarding game-balance, my biggest problem is that D3 was not a finished product when it was released, and subsequent "patches" made drastic changes and detracted from the enjoyment of accomplishment in the game. Personally, as a gamer looking for a challenge, the game's major nerfs to Inferno, difficulty in group play trivialized beating the game and has made it less enjoyable, as (even) less skill is required. Nerfs to character class abilities were frustrating for a perfectionist wanting to play a complete game, and the nerf to core game mechanic of increased attack speed (halving its values) drastically altered the game in a unsatisfying way, as watching your long-played champion become far less effective is a major let-down.

Conclusion: Those looking for an immersive strategically challenging and rewarding game should not purchase D3, as it is quite the opposite.
  78. Aug 19, 2013
    My Honest Review:

Positive: + The Battle is fluid, Solid. But to much explosion. + No More loading screen + Better Graphics Negative: - Artstyle was reduced to cater children, nothing dark, no fright at all, WoW like big shoulders - 4 Player coop (Designed for ease of Console porting) - Always online - Simplification and linear on itemization with simplified elements. Your
    My Honest Review:

+ The Battle is fluid, Solid. But to much explosion.
    + No More loading screen
    + Better Graphics

- 4 Player coop (Designed for ease of Console porting)
    - Always online
    - Simplification and linear on itemization with simplified elements.
    Your class needs main stats, vitality, crits, attack speed.
    Like WoW, higher level item will always better than the lower one.
    Because higher level item offer more Stats which is simple because Diablo 3 itemization is all about stacking those stat, making itemization nothing more than stat sticks.
    Every other classes and build use this kind of item. There is no build defining item.
    - Templated Character progression
    - Demon Lords acts childlike, yapping all around.
    - Grind for Gold
    - There is really no build till this day
    - No PVP
    - Addition of cooldowns in everything.
    - Cannot Deactivate Cinematics, you have to constantly pressing esc to skip them.
    - Limited to 6 skill on choice (Designed for ease of Console porting)
    - NO builds.
    - One dimensional Gem to socket.
    With the simplified stat that each class chooses, every player are pigeonholed to use only certain gemstone because gemstones only offer stats.
    So the only stat usable is mainstat of that classes.
    So its a no brainer that a class will without a doubt uses that gemstone.
  79. Jun 6, 2012
    This is not a "0" game, though it only deserves about a 6 for the "no single player without internet" and the micro-transaction AH, and a horrible story that destroys its own franchise (Cain dies, the girl dies, Tyrel is castrated...who is left to care about?). Why did I mention AH? Because you can't get drops your own level that enable you to complete the game without buying somethingThis is not a "0" game, though it only deserves about a 6 for the "no single player without internet" and the micro-transaction AH, and a horrible story that destroys its own franchise (Cain dies, the girl dies, Tyrel is castrated...who is left to care about?). Why did I mention AH? Because you can't get drops your own level that enable you to complete the game without buying something there, or leveling up to 60 (why is it capped?) and grinding forever to equip other lower end chars. Expand
  80. Jul 29, 2012
    I would give this game no more than a 6. I have played many diablo games and this one was a cluster F starting with the AH debachle which cost me thousands of real life dollars by delaying it. Screw this game.
  81. Sep 26, 2012
    Gave it a 6 because it feels like it almost made a passing grade but fell short in the long run. At first it is fun, but you can immediately see how it is pretty basic from the beginning (from a build option stand point) but you ignore it and try to have fun.The fun is had but starts to fade. You start to enter the second game phase, Auction House 3. You gawk over things you will never beGave it a 6 because it feels like it almost made a passing grade but fell short in the long run. At first it is fun, but you can immediately see how it is pretty basic from the beginning (from a build option stand point) but you ignore it and try to have fun.The fun is had but starts to fade. You start to enter the second game phase, Auction House 3. You gawk over things you will never be able to own and have little to no chance of dropping. You can forget about getting more than one piece from a set without having to buy from the AH. Everything with the balancing is just madness because the developers are being pulled in every direction from the community. It feels so linear and you end up playing the same act (act3 if you're smart) over and over and over. I look back and I just think how much more productive I could have been with my gaming time. Still got my money worth, but feel like I deserve some rebate money in return. Expand
  82. Jun 10, 2012
    The biggest innovation D3 brings to the table is that Blizzard has found a way to bring server issues and lag to the single player game. Not good. Other than that the gameplay is decent but never shines because the difficulty curve is 3 difficulties of trivially easy followed by a brick wall of difficulty spike. The gear itemization is really poor, the storytelling is sub-mediocre and itsThe biggest innovation D3 brings to the table is that Blizzard has found a way to bring server issues and lag to the single player game. Not good. Other than that the gameplay is decent but never shines because the difficulty curve is 3 difficulties of trivially easy followed by a brick wall of difficulty spike. The gear itemization is really poor, the storytelling is sub-mediocre and its predecessors with worse graphics from a technical perspective do a better job of creating atmosphere. Expand
  83. Jun 21, 2012
    A generally well made game which has failed to meet many expectations from the community, based on previous experience with the franchise. The biggest shortcoming is the lack of end-game content, which has left many more dedicated fans restless and unhappy (hence the bad reviews here).
  84. May 28, 2012
    As somone who is coming back to this franchise after being griefed in D1, I think the game is OK. Why? The largest negative is the DRM. THis game is NOT an MMO and should not be treated as one. I'm awarre of why the game needs the inernet, but I do not agree with it.

The game is very "loot-centric". If you do not go in expecting an award winning plot then you should be fine with the story. The graphics are just OK with some of the backgrounds looking very good. (This is fine as Blizz has to appeal to mid to lower end systems). Replayability seems fair as you may try out each class, but the levelling up process (and most of the game) are fairly linear.

Its a good game that you will get several hours of enjoyment from, but it's not the be all and end all of action RPGs. Let the game appeal to your inner warmonger and play this to hack, slash, pillage and hopefully have some mindless fun!
  85. Jun 19, 2012
    It should be noted that the significant score gap between critics and users spawns from 1000's of Diablo II fans having their hearts broken. They swarmed here to vent about a lackadaisical release. This game is certainly not worthless; it's entertaining and usually fun to play. That said this game is by no means on the same level as it's two older siblings; comparatively it is a 3rd graderIt should be noted that the significant score gap between critics and users spawns from 1000's of Diablo II fans having their hearts broken. They swarmed here to vent about a lackadaisical release. This game is certainly not worthless; it's entertaining and usually fun to play. That said this game is by no means on the same level as it's two older siblings; comparatively it is a 3rd grader who still eats paste. Fun to talk to and can bring fresh innovations, but ultimately way behind the curve. Speaking of elementary, I would say that's about the level of intelligence required to play. Axing all customization of stat points and skills, the re-playability was dropped 100 fold. Not to say it's not fun, I'm just disappointed by one of my favorite parts of Diablo II. On the bright side, the new ideas of forging equipment and being able to remove socketed gems is excellent. Playing multiplayer with friends has never been easier. The big flaw though, is Blizzards insistence that an internet requirement. My internet slowed to a crawl the other day and rendered Diablo unplayable. A useless piece of $60 dollar software. A friend argued that to release a single player non-internet dependent would require a rewrite of the code, but I must counter that for $60, maybe Blizzard could put a little more effort in? Expand
  86. Jun 23, 2012
    Inititally, regardless of issues on release day, I enjoyed this game. It was something that I looked forward to for years. Now, I don't even play it. Since the most recent patch 1.0.3., I feel like Blizzard is making changes that should not be made to an already released game. Changes this drastic should be made during beta testing, which was obviously rushed. Playing Diablo 3 alsoInititally, regardless of issues on release day, I enjoyed this game. It was something that I looked forward to for years. Now, I don't even play it. Since the most recent patch 1.0.3., I feel like Blizzard is making changes that should not be made to an already released game. Changes this drastic should be made during beta testing, which was obviously rushed. Playing Diablo 3 also relies so heavily on the gold and real money Auction House that the fun of grinding for gear is almost not present. I really feel like the Diablo team dropped the ball after making the first two fantastic games. As for now, unless I feel like spending real money on in game gear, I have no way to progress further into Inferno difficulty while still enjoying the game. Expand
  87. Nov 10, 2012
    I'm sorry, but this has nothing to do with Diablo 1 and 2. The franchise has never tried to be clever, intelligent or exceptionally different, but this is just too bland. The skills system is too simple, the attributes aren't there at all and everything just depends on your equip, not your actual playing. And the auction house just ruins the whole experience. More than a great video game,I'm sorry, but this has nothing to do with Diablo 1 and 2. The franchise has never tried to be clever, intelligent or exceptionally different, but this is just too bland. The skills system is too simple, the attributes aren't there at all and everything just depends on your equip, not your actual playing. And the auction house just ruins the whole experience. More than a great video game, it feels like a money maker, and that's not the way I want to see the gaming industry go. Expand
  88. Jul 10, 2012
    The game is fun in the beginning. Act I is actually quite enjoyable. Act II less so. Act III with the non-stop action of the battle for the keep is actually quite fun. Act IV loses steam and the last fight with Diablo is anti-climatic. The end feels forced.

I call it the end because if you play into Inferno you are asking to be displeased. I played 3 classes to 60 and the gameplay beyond 60 in Inferno is brutal. Brutal is ok though except here it is brutal AND boring. Because you can't advance in any reasonable amount of time unless you shell out 100's for better gear via the Auction House. If you think you will be getting the gear in the game haha you are very funny. You wont. I farmed for weeks and drops of upgrade gear, things that will actually advance you to finishing Inferno, just do not drop frequently enough. You'd have to put in a 40 hour work week to have a middling chance without buying gear.

That isn't my idea of fun.

That said if you buy the game once the price drops about $20 bucks and play it through to 60 and quit you have a fairly fun game. People giving it a 0 or 1 score I think are reacting viscerally to some of the policies Blizzard has put in place. The game itself is decent-ish. It is no Diablo II or Dragon Ages or a lot of other better games. But it shouldn't be punished for what it isn't. It should be rated for what it is. What it is, is a decently entertaining game that should be put down after reaching level 60, because there literally is no game after level 60. There is just obsessive compulsive repetitiveness.
  89. Jul 11, 2012
    It pains me to give Diablo 3 a rating of five considering how much I love the Diablo franchise. I wanted this game to keep me interested for years like Diablo 2 did, and unfortunately it just doesn't have the staying power of its predecessor. Overall, I'm content that I got over 100 hours of enjoyment out of a $100 game (I splurged for the Collector's Edition), yet that feeling ofIt pains me to give Diablo 3 a rating of five considering how much I love the Diablo franchise. I wanted this game to keep me interested for years like Diablo 2 did, and unfortunately it just doesn't have the staying power of its predecessor. Overall, I'm content that I got over 100 hours of enjoyment out of a $100 game (I splurged for the Collector's Edition), yet that feeling of disappointment in knowing that after 3 months I've already lost interest definitely lingers. Perhaps future content updates will pull me back in; only time will tell on that. Expand
  90. Sep 19, 2012
    This game is not that bad. DRM really sucks and we all know that DRM is not because of piracy but because of that fu....g auction house. On the other hand you can complete even onn inferno without using RMAH without too much trouble. If i wont look at DRM and RMAH Diablo 3 is worse than Diablo 2, but it is not that terrible. Main problem is totally 0 difficulty until inferno and even onThis game is not that bad. DRM really sucks and we all know that DRM is not because of piracy but because of that fu....g auction house. On the other hand you can complete even onn inferno without using RMAH without too much trouble. If i wont look at DRM and RMAH Diablo 3 is worse than Diablo 2, but it is not that terrible. Main problem is totally 0 difficulty until inferno and even on inferno with good team you can kill any mob or any boss without too much trouble. This game does not deserve 10 but it also does not deserve 0. I just expected more from Diablo. Expand
  91. May 1, 2013
    Although I have found Diablo 3 to be thoroughly enjoyable, I can't deny that I'm somewhat disappointed after such a long wait. Firstly the visuals, despite being pretty, are not really dark enough or befitting of a Diablo title.

I remember playing the first game and being genuinely disturbed by the dank environments, with their low lighting and desaturated sprites. Now it's all too polished, clean and bright.

Although it's fun to go back to the old 'point and click/hack and slash' method of yesteryear, one can't help but think that a slightly more intuitive approach to game play could have been implemented.

If you enjoy the Diablo legend, and similar such 'hell on earth' fantasy type affairs, you'll find a definite level of enjoyment here.
  92. May 31, 2012
    To be honest, I haven't play diablo 1,2, this is the first time that I've played Blizzard game and I just get into it on killing the skeleton king in the beginning of the act, the story goes very smoothly with decent of side quests which usually have a percentage of good rewards. I liked the fact that the smithing system which it will produce different effects of each piece of equipments,To be honest, I haven't play diablo 1,2, this is the first time that I've played Blizzard game and I just get into it on killing the skeleton king in the beginning of the act, the story goes very smoothly with decent of side quests which usually have a percentage of good rewards. I liked the fact that the smithing system which it will produce different effects of each piece of equipments, making me wanted to collect the materials and smith again, increase the durability of the game. HOWEVER, there are many weak points of this game which lower the score, in my opinion, I really dislike the difficulty system which restricted you to play through the whole four acts till you unlock the next difficulty, it was very boring that you already remembered all the monsters location and the mission. IF you are trying to get to inferno difficulty, imagine how many times you have to play through the complete identical four acts again and wasting your time. Another point that I hate this game was the server system, often times I was getting so piss off due to the fact that I always get kicked from the server because it was full, how ridiculous was that, and you had to wait for half an hour in order to continue the game, what was the idea behind this, kept us lock in a room and wait for the countdown to complete? You bought this game to enjoy, not to wait. Actually there also have many bad areas about this game, but these were the main once. To make an conclusion, I think that this was a so-so game wont worth freaken 69.99 USD for that. Expand
  93. Jun 2, 2012
    The Bad: The game was not nearly close enough to completed to be released. There was not nearly enough testing. Class balance is an issue that immediately needs to be fixed. The storyline was painfully predictable for a game that was highly secretive of the story. There is not going to be the ten year replay value that its predecessor had, but it's not a bad continuation of theThe Bad: The game was not nearly close enough to completed to be released. There was not nearly enough testing. Class balance is an issue that immediately needs to be fixed. The storyline was painfully predictable for a game that was highly secretive of the story. There is not going to be the ten year replay value that its predecessor had, but it's not a bad continuation of the franchise.

The Good: The environments are extremely interesting, with plenty of areas to explore. Some of the fights have interesting mechanics, particularly the Diablo and Belial fights.

All in all, it's not a terrible game, but much, much more work needs to be done before it's at the level at which Blizzard is held to.
  94. Jun 2, 2012
    Ruined by greediness. Only fun for first time clear.

So first i want to say that diablo 3 could have been epicly amazing, if activision wasnt so greedy. The whole game is designed to force the majority of players to use real money auction house. Loot system is very terrible and random and items have ridiculously random stats, the item system is just stupid copy from world of warcraft, not
    Ruined by greediness. Only fun for first time clear.

Loot system is very terrible and random and items have ridiculously random stats, the item system is just stupid copy from world of warcraft, not creative at all.

Diablo 3 DRM just ruins the game, an internet reguirement will not stop the game from being pirated, internet reguirement will not stop the game from being hacked, the only reason why internet is reguired is the real money auction house.

Hardcore mode for example is just ruined because of internet, one disconnect and you might die, or server crash and you lose it all, hacked and lose it all.

Diablo 3 is just kite, click, kite, click kite, click kite. The game story is terrible and it doesnt make you want to say " wow " and playing it again on harder difficulties is just an agony after doing it on normal, not because of harder difficulty, its because the replay value is terrible and new modes dont bring anything new except loot thats sickly random.

Diablo 3 class balance is also terrible, casters have so much easier time and can do with much less gear.

Diablo 3 is catered for casual gamers, the only difficulty in inferno is kite spamming and spam ressing after you die, there is no real penalty for death on normal mode so spam ress away.

The biggest flaw in diablo 3 is the real money auction house, and i wanted to say more about it and why it will ruin the game.

Discussion about the value of diablo 3 gold in the real money auction house.

So a lot of people seem to think that the value will be 20 euros for every 1 million diablo 3 gold.
    Now lets say some facts, diablo 3 has 6 million players or more. In most countries the minium wage is 5-10 euros a hour, and thats minium, and most people in world get minium wage as a payment.
    Now if diablo 3 had the gold value of 20 euros for every 1 million gold. An average farmer in diablo 3 at max level can farm anywhere between 300k - 500k gold a hour that means in 20 hours ( if person did this as a job ) you would make 10 million diablo 3 gold, and now if the value was the assumed 20 euros for every 1 million diablo gold, thats 200 euros a day, and in a month thats 6000 euros. A serious gold farmer can make 1m+ a hour with farming or auction house item flipping. Also understand that there is more poor then rich people in world.
    So 6000 euros a month playing a game?
    ... Think again!!
    If the text above was reality, everyone would be doing diablo 3 as a job. And most people in games do not buy stuff to become better. They play for it instead. And if the chances of making 200 euros a day was reality everyone would be doing that.
    Pretty much all online games are spammed with gold farmers, these guys will play 24 hours a day in hope making even little money. They will undercut you, spam the rmah with thousands of items. After playing mmorpgs for years i can say that the ratio to gold seller and buyer is pretty much 100 sellers for every 10 buyers. This means prices will inflate crazy hard. In pretty much every mmorpg i know the black market value for gold is 0.70 euros for 3-5 hours of gameplay work ( gold farming ). Do notice i used word black market this means there is less sellers as legal gold selling doesnt exist, diablo 3 does not have black market, its open and safe market so there will be much much much more sellers. So more logical value, i can safely say in that in my opinion, 2 weeks after RMAH is live the gold will be anywhere between 15 - 20 million diablo gold for 1 euro. Everyone will be thinking " i will make hundreds of dollars, but when theres millions of players thinking the same and only 10 buyers for every 100 sellers, think again. Also diablo 3 has i think it was 10 free auctions after that deposit to rmah costs 1 euros for every item.
    This means 10 free deposits a week, and after that it costs money, this means the undercutting competition will be insane, as people do not want to lose their free deposits for nothing. Now this is why the game will be ruined, people will want to make money, the normal gold auction house will be so inflated that if you want to buy any good item for max level you will never find it from the gold auction house as gold will be worthless.

Its sad that this game, that looks beautiful and has good gameplay is ruined by greediness. Without the real money auction house, this game would have been perfect, as that would also have ment that internet would not have been a reguirement.

Gameplay: 6
    Graphics: 8
    Music: 7
    Replay value: 2
    Story: 2
    Multiplayer aspect: 4

Overall score 5

This game is just overpriced for the content it offers. Extremely overhyped game.
  95. Jun 28, 2012
    It is a beautiful game for it's type and you can tell that a lot of attention was put into the details, but there is something here that leaves me feeling very empty when I play, like it was not made for me in mind. I just can fully buy in to the plot--I just don't care about it. It leaves me feeling ripped off for the $65 that I paid to play. The point and click play style is notIt is a beautiful game for it's type and you can tell that a lot of attention was put into the details, but there is something here that leaves me feeling very empty when I play, like it was not made for me in mind. I just can fully buy in to the plot--I just don't care about it. It leaves me feeling ripped off for the $65 that I paid to play. The point and click play style is not immersive to me at all. The game is far too easy--I have logged 8 hours thus far without coming close to dying. Where is the challenge? That, coupled with the fact that you cannot increase the difficulty level until you actually complete the ENTIRE GAME, makes it very likely that I will finish this expensive price tag of a rip off. Oh, and even though I have a very good computer (and internet connection)that plays games such as Skyrim at full quality just fine, there is significant lag and FPS problems, especially during the afternoon/evening. Expand
  96. Oct 3, 2012
    People rating this way too low, sure it has it problems and what not, but it is not lower then a 6, I say that because it did have a high fun factor at the time, but once you got to inferno and you seen that the game was built around the AH and RMAH it hurt the game more then helped it, the always online thing hurts the game as well, the looting system is a bit broken, but other then thosePeople rating this way too low, sure it has it problems and what not, but it is not lower then a 6, I say that because it did have a high fun factor at the time, but once you got to inferno and you seen that the game was built around the AH and RMAH it hurt the game more then helped it, the always online thing hurts the game as well, the looting system is a bit broken, but other then those things the game does a decent job at staying true to the ARPG genre. Expand
  97. Jan 24, 2013
    Diablo 3 was my first Diablo. I'm not going to compare it to Diablo 2. D3 is a fun hack and slash game. However, you have to play through the campaign 3 times just to get to inferno difficulty. This is PER character! This can be extremely frustrating, when you want to test out different characters. And when you do get to level 60, there is almost no build diversity. Inferno is just simpleDiablo 3 was my first Diablo. I'm not going to compare it to Diablo 2. D3 is a fun hack and slash game. However, you have to play through the campaign 3 times just to get to inferno difficulty. This is PER character! This can be extremely frustrating, when you want to test out different characters. And when you do get to level 60, there is almost no build diversity. Inferno is just simple to strong for the averaged geared players to switch up their skills and try to have fun. The endgame is farming, which I have no problem with, and neither should you. However, the drops are simple terrible, and all Blizzard has done is gone and 'Doubled' pretty much everything! I'm going to stop here and let you form your own opinion, but this is a pretty average game. Diablo 3 will get better the as more patches come out. I'm going to give it a 6/10 because it offers massive replay ability. I got well over 400 hours before it started to feel repetitive. If you want to get Diablo 3 all I can recommend is to stay away from the RMAH. Expand
  98. Jul 14, 2014
    I played this game after the release. The gameplay on the very first run was really addictive. But playing the same runs over and over every time on a more difficult level gets really boring. Another negative point was the in game market. You could buy stuff with real money. So trying to get great gear ingame wasnt rewarding at all. Spending a few bucks was way easier.
  99. Aug 5, 2014
    As a huge fan of first 2 Diablo games I bought this the moment it was released and I was basically disappointed on every level. While I finished the game and I enjoyed the ride a bit, it took me 2 days and I never had a feeling I should go through it again, or even try out different classes. I finished first 2 Diablo games like 50 times replayed them to death simply because it was soAs a huge fan of first 2 Diablo games I bought this the moment it was released and I was basically disappointed on every level. While I finished the game and I enjoyed the ride a bit, it took me 2 days and I never had a feeling I should go through it again, or even try out different classes. I finished first 2 Diablo games like 50 times replayed them to death simply because it was so amazing, addictive, fun and just extremely replayable, but Diablo 3 lacks all that magic. I never had an urge to go back and through that again. Maybe it's the kiddie colorful visuals, gone is the darkness of the first Diablo, it kills all the atmosphere and where is that cult music? Diablo had one of the best soundtracks ever created for a videogame and Diablo 2 was also fantastic. I don't remember absolutely anything about the music in Diablo 3, so bland, average and completely forgettable. It seems mostly new team consisting of very different people compared to previous games were responsible for creation of this and it definitely shows. This is leagues worse than previous games from the series. Also, if you add that always-online DRM bs that Blizzard pulled off, you get the urge to go to red numbers with the final score, but I'm trying to stay objective, the game wasn't really all that bad, but it just wasn't even nearly as good as previous Diablo games, not even close. 5/10 Expand
  100. May 18, 2014
    I honestly never expected to be playing Diablo 3 again, but here I am. Patch 2.0.1 has officially saved this game from being the biggest disappointment I'd ever experienced in PC gaming. It took them two years post release to get here, but it's finally worth playing. If you heard it was bad at release, it was. It was bloody terrible, but they finally fixed it. If you already own it andI honestly never expected to be playing Diablo 3 again, but here I am. Patch 2.0.1 has officially saved this game from being the biggest disappointment I'd ever experienced in PC gaming. It took them two years post release to get here, but it's finally worth playing. If you heard it was bad at release, it was. It was bloody terrible, but they finally fixed it. If you already own it and haven't played it since then, I suggest you give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised. It still has some issues, like in order to fix the horrible economy they basically destroyed trading(in that all the highest tier items are pretty much account bound), but the fact that you'll actually find items worth using makes that a whole lot less painful than you would think, and it's definitely better than that awful auction/trading house mess that they had at release. As of 2.0.1 it is good enough that I spent money on their over priced expansion pack, and I honestly was planning on never giving Blizzard another dime, ever again. Expand
  101. May 15, 2012
    When I played D2, I liked most of all the feel of the game. Sure, I went on to play online and grind my way to greatness, but that wasn't what made it awesome. The general feel of the game was still that of an horror action game, this cartoonish look developed to cater to the wow herd is appalling, especially if you consider that the graphics look worse than torchlight. Now this game isWhen I played D2, I liked most of all the feel of the game. Sure, I went on to play online and grind my way to greatness, but that wasn't what made it awesome. The general feel of the game was still that of an horror action game, this cartoonish look developed to cater to the wow herd is appalling, especially if you consider that the graphics look worse than torchlight. Now this game is designed around the grind mechanics, boss runs and wathever, but that wasn't what made it awesome. Add the online DRM, and this is yet another big disappointment for 2012. On a side note: I'd really like to see blizzard come up with something new instead of milking its old successes. Collapse

1. Aug 31, 2012