4.0

1. Jul 1, 2015
    - Good: Gameplay, Multiplayer, Setting
    - Mixed: Story, Atmosphere/Mood, Soundtrack
    - Bad: ---

Very enjoyable game, solid and polished gameplay with mediocre story.
  2. May 15, 2012
    I think the way reviews for good scores are written here that half of them are Blizzard employees...lol

Seriously though I expect waaay more from Blizzard, it makes me think they will butcher "heart of the swarm" as well.
    My how the mighty have fallen.
  3. May 18, 2012
    OK, this is a reworked review from the one I originally posted, although it is still a 10, it is a 10 with much more deserving. Let's begin by putting the horrors of the first two days behind us, and now that we are, for the most, able to login, the game plays very well, with some slight improvement on the latency, it would be fantastic...................Graphically the game is pleasingOK, this is a reworked review from the one I originally posted, although it is still a 10, it is a 10 with much more deserving. Let's begin by putting the horrors of the first two days behind us, and now that we are, for the most, able to login, the game plays very well, with some slight improvement on the latency, it would be fantastic...................Graphically the game is pleasing in the most part, and at some points quite amazing. I game on a 5 year old machine with a trusty old Q6600 cpu at 2.8ghz, just 4GB of DDR2 RAM, and an almost stock 6850 card. I play at 1920x1200 with everything on high but without anti-aliasing. I get 60 FPS pretty much everywhere, with a rare bit of stuttering which players on the very latest equipment are also reporting. I can turn on the AA, but I don't want to push my luck, and the game looks great without it anyway................... As far as audio is concerned, I didn't see much in the way of options for this apart from the usual sliders, I didn't see any settings to accomodate my 5.1 surround headphones, but I'll forgive Blizzard for that..............On to the gameplay. This is pretty much a tried and tested format as far as the basic mechanics go, and anyone who has played previous Diablo games or games like Titan Quest, and other games in the same vein over the years will feel comfortable with the "pick up and play" format that comes with isometric action RPGs........... The encounters in the game are decent enough with a wide variety of mob types, and the random element in the layout of various zones give you a refreshing crawl each time you play through them - and you will want to replay them as with the random layouts come random dungeons with various bosses in most of them. You will need to do these not only for the odd bit of XP grinding if you want to play that way, but also to complete the many, many achievements that come with the game for you to complete...................Last of all the storyline. It's a fairly common story for Diablo games, and your task is basically to destroy the devil to restore peace in the world. The story is told with a lot of panache and style, and you can get a feel for the lore by collecting the various journals lying around which are all fully fleshed out with vocals. Which is a good thing because some of the times you collect them you have no time to read the dialogue with it, and if I did have a gripe with this, then it is the fact that when you pick up a journal, a third of your screen is immediately taken up with the text which is being read out to you, which usually means you have to quickly close it down if you are in the middle of a tough fight...............................So, as far as giving the game a 10 out of 10 goes, well, in this day and age, what does it take to make a game a 10? quite a lot really, and even though the four acts the first time around will give you about 20-30 hours of gameplay for a player who wants to take everything in at a reasonable pace, repeating the game on nightmare and the subsequent crazy difficulty levels will have you coming back for more. Add to this an Auction House for you to trade your unwanted items, or to buy some yourself, provides even more excuses to waste your weekends behing your screen. Blizzard plan to go live with a real currency version of the Auction House in the coming couple of weeks, and you just know there will be people prepared to spend real money for some of the more sought after Legendary Items. So, enjoy the game and make a bit of cash on the side to boot! Lets just hope Blizzard make a few expansion packs like they did with previous incarnations to keep everyone happy..................Diablo 3 is here! It's been 12 years in hiatous, and its great! Go and buy it! Expand
  4. May 25, 2012
    People say not to give a game a 0, as clearly only fanboys do this, and their reviews obviously mean nothing. That is a very closed minded way to look at things. Some games do indeed deserve a 0 - Diablo 3 being a perfect example. There is basically nothing that Diablo 3 does that Diablo 2 doesn't do better. Diablo 3 is a perfect example of exactly what a sequel shouldn't be - Toned downPeople say not to give a game a 0, as clearly only fanboys do this, and their reviews obviously mean nothing. That is a very closed minded way to look at things. Some games do indeed deserve a 0 - Diablo 3 being a perfect example. There is basically nothing that Diablo 3 does that Diablo 2 doesn't do better. Diablo 3 is a perfect example of exactly what a sequel shouldn't be - Toned down gameplay, "b-b-but the graphics are better!!!"

What redeeming qualities could this game possibly have that warrant a score higher than a 0? Could it be the heavily restrictive DRM? Could it be the pay to win BS? I feel like this "game" was bought more by people who are interested in the political / business sides of gaming, and the DRM that would finally be the end of piracy (which obviously isn't even true). It's like they bought it out of some kind of distorted, false interpretation of "morality", rather than to play a game.

Diablo 3 is also a perfect example of why many people feel classic gaming is superior. The idea used to be "This company is providing a game that I am interested in. Therefore, I will buy it so that hopefully they will make more in the future. I like to have fun!" But now the idea of "gaming" is "Wow, this company sure did rape us all in the ass really hard! Now I'm going to go on the internet and accuse anyone who didn't buy it of being self-entitled!"
  5. May 30, 2012
    Sigh.... For those of us who have played Diablo, Diablo II, Lord of Destruction this is a huge let down. Everything has been simplified and rushed the gameplay feels like Dynasty Warriors and the story is just.. under par. NO MORE POINT SYSTEM and tons of issues that need to be patch at this time everyone is experiencing lag or choppy gameplay rendering it hard to play or survive. ISigh.... For those of us who have played Diablo, Diablo II, Lord of Destruction this is a huge let down. Everything has been simplified and rushed the gameplay feels like Dynasty Warriors and the story is just.. under par. NO MORE POINT SYSTEM and tons of issues that need to be patch at this time everyone is experiencing lag or choppy gameplay rendering it hard to play or survive. I have played the game through to hell mode (normal,nightmare,hell,inferno) and i am giving this a fair review as most are just pissed off and give it a 1 or 0 i feel Diablo III should be rated at a 5, Not worth 60$ maybe 30$ and i would wait to even buy for the reason that they have a lot of work to do in making that game playable. Expand
  6. May 16, 2012
    It's not even as good as D2, in any way whatsoever- loot, monster fights, skill variation/customization, fun, challenge. Why did it take so long to make a game that's subpar to the previous? It's like Duke Nukem Forever all over. The graphics are mildly improved, and the voice acting was a nice touch- in the end though it's a game with minor story and no surprises- which isn't what DiabloIt's not even as good as D2, in any way whatsoever- loot, monster fights, skill variation/customization, fun, challenge. Why did it take so long to make a game that's subpar to the previous? It's like Duke Nukem Forever all over. The graphics are mildly improved, and the voice acting was a nice touch- in the end though it's a game with minor story and no surprises- which isn't what Diablo has been about but in the search for something positive to say about the game that's all I could find. That doesn't even go into Blizzard's greed finally making them join with the gold farmers- or the brutal launch from a company that should know by now how to run an online game... or that it has to be online no matter what.

It's a game that could have come out... scratch that- DID come out 12 years ago. C'mon Blizz, you gotta go above and beyond.
  7. gas
    Jun 9, 2012
    Reading other reviews here i see that 90% of the haters here didnt play the game and/or moan about issues that arent in the game so be warned about that, the game is not that bad.
    Told that, after 3 weeks i am progressing in inferno act 3 and there are 3 basic issues.
    1) The game is not balanced at all, it goes from way too easy to so hard to get me nervous without offering any challenging and rewarding part.

2) its actually impossible to progress in group, cause again game balance issues, so its possible to co op faceroll content but you are forced to progress alone (patches will come but hey, its late sorry).

3) The hit detection is sever side and it counts from the start of the animation, so if a mob moves the sword to hit you and you move out before it lands the hit you still get the hit, this method is super tard and cant get really why its here, also considering that the game suffers a lot for bad ping, lag and stuttering.

Blizzard is no more going for "its ready when its ready", but a more modern "we will go to patch all", as nowadays standards, patches over patches over patches.
    Honestly i bought the game and i wanna play it now, if its ready after 6 months a next time we will pay after six months. those devs policies should be legally forbidden imo.
    Imo Blizzard is no more here.
  8. Jul 9, 2012
    I cant say I did not like the game but I did not love it either.. I just cant see the HUGE replayability everyone was talking about. The storyline is good and so is the gameplay but thats that. I really wanted the PvP to be there from the release but that didnt happen.. The AH is really good and verry helpfull and overall the game is enjoyable...
  9. Aug 12, 2012
    While fun getting through the game the first time the fact is at max level the game is dull dull dull. Recycled content and ideas only go so far. Blizzard got my money so I guess the last laugh is on me :)
  10. Aug 16, 2016
    I was confused, don’t understand why is no offline mode, it is not a MMO, you are alone or with few people that don’t know and don’t care, and leave, very similar to Path of Exile (but at least in PoE you meet more people at town!), in Diablo 3 you plays as a single player game feeling that is not necessary to be connected at all, while the game forces to it, in resume, it has all theI was confused, don’t understand why is no offline mode, it is not a MMO, you are alone or with few people that don’t know and don’t care, and leave, very similar to Path of Exile (but at least in PoE you meet more people at town!), in Diablo 3 you plays as a single player game feeling that is not necessary to be connected at all, while the game forces to it, in resume, it has all the online problems (login, lag, server down, etc), without none of its benefits (meetings, ambushes, invasions, big parties, etc), a poor experience for me. Expand
  11. Oct 14, 2016
    The single player campaign is bad. Story and ending are terrible. Not a lot makes sense here. There is one rather outstanding cut scene, but also this one is pure hogwash after you continue the story. Other characters are just fillers. By standing people have a lot to say, but most if it is just for clicking away.

Played until max Level 70 + Paragon 50. Completed single player and

Played until max Level 70 + Paragon 50. Completed single player and adventure mode, hoping for the game to become more interesting. Game play can be fun at times, but it's really all about mindless mouse button holding, hardly any of the enemies are special, including bosses, and challenge is non existent even on hardest difficulties.

Maybe if you like grinding for items you can have fun.

To me Blizzard has finally given in to making money with cheap, inexperienced designers, stringent project leadership knowing a lot about budget management, but where there is no interest in life and soul of a good game. It's all about marketing now.
  12. May 16, 2012
    Having to be online to play a Single Player game? I don't like it but as long as it works well... wait you get disconnected if the servers go down or your internet goes down? How about how poor the save system seems to be to the point when I quit the game I'm not quite sure how much progress I'll lose. How about being disconnected constantly and losing like the last half hour of gameplay?Having to be online to play a Single Player game? I don't like it but as long as it works well... wait you get disconnected if the servers go down or your internet goes down? How about how poor the save system seems to be to the point when I quit the game I'm not quite sure how much progress I'll lose. How about being disconnected constantly and losing like the last half hour of gameplay? Also you seem to be playing the game that is running on a server somewhere else because you have a ping and it's constantly lagging from 200-500....... lagging in a Single Player game?

Last time I buy a game from Blizzard.
  13. May 25, 2012
    Diablo 3 definitely has some issues, such as connection issues. Lag in single player. No talent trees, and a fairly linear experience but past all of that is a well crafted game with lots of detail and is chalked full of interesting environments and characters to take the roles of. As a fan of Diablo 2 its a worthy successor to the Diablo series, if not a bit linear and it may not the theDiablo 3 definitely has some issues, such as connection issues. Lag in single player. No talent trees, and a fairly linear experience but past all of that is a well crafted game with lots of detail and is chalked full of interesting environments and characters to take the roles of. As a fan of Diablo 2 its a worthy successor to the Diablo series, if not a bit linear and it may not the the mind-blowing, genre defining experience we all expected, there is lots of hack and slash fun to have here. One cool feature is that anybody who is accompanying you in battle like a follower have interesting things to say and talk to your character, making them feel alive and believable. Not just mindlessly following you around. One of the worst parts of the game is constantly having to be connected to the internet to play the game. It is ridiculous that i need to online to play a single player game! What if i go on a trip and i want to take my laptop and play on the way or something? Im just not going to be able to and ill have to deal with it even though its a SINGLE player game, although you can play the game with random people online or your friends so thats good. Overall Diablo 3 is a great hack and slash RPG that is one of the best games to come out this year. Expand
  14. Nov 21, 2013
    Good game, I actually like how its different from the other diablos. While it lacks in story and could use a bit beefier skill tree I still have hope for blizzard. I am looking forward to the expansion.
  15. Jun 18, 2017
    Diablo 3 doesn't quite live up to the legacy of its predecessors but it succeeds in many areas and it is well worth at least a couple play throughs. While its story is mediocre at best its visual design is exceptional and its gameplay is well above average. Admittedly Diablo 3 should have been better and suffers from some pretty big flaws but that isn't to say it doesn't do a lot of thingsDiablo 3 doesn't quite live up to the legacy of its predecessors but it succeeds in many areas and it is well worth at least a couple play throughs. While its story is mediocre at best its visual design is exceptional and its gameplay is well above average. Admittedly Diablo 3 should have been better and suffers from some pretty big flaws but that isn't to say it doesn't do a lot of things really well.

Gameplay is mostly great. Each class is unique and there are tons of spells to choose from. I found playing as a Witch Doctor to be very different from playing as a Barbarian or Wizard and that variety makes playing with friends that much more fun. Whether it be summoning exploding dogs or raining poison toads on your enemies there are tons of fun and creative abilities to unleash upon your enemies. Throughout the entire campaign I was always unlocking new and interesting abilities and getting to try them in different situations. Almost all the abilities seemed fairly well balanced and useful. All of the menus were intuitive and navigation throughout the game was simple. I would have liked to see a bit more interactivity in terms of using abilities to solve puzzles though. While combat is fun it does eventually get quite monotonous and in a game where you are expected to play through many times it should have offered more variety. Being able to easily change the build of my characters also seemed dumb down the experience of trying to optimize your characters. Looting was also undermined by a system that almost forces you to buy equipment with real money, largely killing the reward of finding good loot in game.

The story is definitely worse than past Diablo games. It starts off pretty good but the further it gets the more it starts to seem like something a teenager would write. The Angels and Demons who seemed to be deep and complex in Diablo 2 now seem like a bunch of petty children. Tyrael, who once epitomized the idea of a wise, idyllic being, has now been reduced to a whiny directionless stereotype who is incapable of doing anything without the help of humans who should be far less experienced and less capable than he is. I could have understood that take on the character at the start of the game but once he regains his memories he becomes even more pathetic. The story also has huge inconsistencies. For example, the final boss is supposed to have the power of nearly all the other bosses combined, yet it is actually one of the easier battles. It was like no thought was put into how powerful each demon should be from a story perspective. None of the characters seem to have any motivation beyond saving the world or destroying it. Diablo 2 had pitch perfect story telling full of intrigue, horror and implied depth. Diablo 3's story is a generic B movie by comparison. The story is no worse than a Mario game but only a little bit better which is terribly sad.

The visual design is top notch. Everything is clean, the models and textures are all appealing and interesting. There are dozens of cool looking monsters and spells. Every environment looks great and the cinematic are easily among the best I have seen. What else can I say, Blizzard does great art and this is one of their best looking games.

The Sound Design is also quite good. Some of the voice acting seemed a bit cartoony but that was more a problem with the script than it was with the voices themselves. The music and sound effects were both solid. It's not one of the best soundtracks I have heard but all of the music fit nicely and in never took me out of the experience even after multiple playthroughs.

Ultimately I think Diablo 3 is a really fun game that just failed to fulfill the vision that its predecessors inspired. While there were many things about the game that I thought could have been better, I enjoyed playing it enough that I played through it multiple times. The story certainly wasn't great and seemed to have a totally different tone than Diablo 2 but with that said it isn't a worse story than that of most action games.

I give Diablo 3 a 78%
  16. May 16, 2012
    The game itself is probably an 8/10, but the DRM sinks it straight down to a negative score. Unfortunately, I can't give it a negative score, so I have to go with 0 for now. DRM is the hemorrhage of the gaming industry, and it's time developers actually listen to their customers.
  17. Jun 11, 2012
    The youtube videos of what Blizzard said was going to be Diablo3 are just complete lies and should be sued by many for false advertisement. All the slowly released videos to get you hyped up are completely non existent in what is Supposedly "Diablo3". Sad

Well I have to be applaud Blizzard in all reality. From a business stand point it would seem like you're on the perfect track to make the shareholders at Activision very, very pleased.

You've taken a game with so much hype built around it, a game with a rabid and wildly large fan base, a game vaulting off of the massive success of the previous generation - and you've turned it into your sacrificial lamb.

I understand that WoW is dying. The cash cow that you have been able to depend on to fill your coffers is finally drying up. It had a great run. MoP is not likely to defibrillate the failing heart of what was once the WoW empire, and you know this. Starcraft 2, while an amazing game, cannot replace this cash cow - then again it wasn't meant to. How could it? Your business foresight is very, very attuned. Because of this you carefully planned your next chess move: Diablo 3.

What better way to birth another golden goose than to bank an entire game off of the most addictive part of what Diablo 2 was: the item grind. Pure brilliance. And so, from the ground up, you formed this game to be solely about item exchange - this would be the titan built to replace WoW's subscription based bankroll in the form of micro transactions.

Except one thing: you're boring.

On May 15th 2012, after nearly a decade of anticipation, we were given Diablo 3! Except, it's not quite Diablo 3. It's a slimmed down, cut up version of the Diablo 3 everyone was taught to expect. Except, it wasn't given to us, we still had to pay you full price for it: $60.
    So where's the beef? - some might say. The beef is that this is not Diablo 3, this is an imposter. A hologram. An artificial replacement. A lame duck substitute for what hype built it up to be. A cut up and slimmed down version of what should have been. In essence: a slaughtered, sacrificial lamb.

That leaves myself and thousands of others saying indeed, where is the beef? Blizzard's answer: there is no cow level. But hey, we got rainbows and unicorns!

Is anyone still in complete denial about how truly boring this game is or have people started to shake off the honey moon dust?

You eliminated enchanting, PvP, pet companions and other things from the release version so that you could market it as part of a later expansion for more money. (This is a trend in gaming that several developers have been following; withhold content you've been advertising for the past two years and charge a premium for it at a later date. I shouldn't have expected Activision-Blizzard to be any different, and that is my fault. I wrongly assumed this group was made of trend setters and leaders, not followers - so shame on me.)

You didn't include a single player mode because you can't make money off of people if they aren't using the AH in a multiplayer format. Less work for you in the development stages, and forces people to engage in the micro-economy that your bankroll is based on. Again, brilliance. Which leads me to my final point:

There is so LITTLE dynamic to this game I cannot believe it took this many years to create it. In fact, I don't. So why the long wait? I'll tell you: economic law.

More specifically, the legality and complications that stemmed from the idea of a multinational game built around a Real Money Auction House. This process, I imagine, took years to iron out - while the game itself probably took no more than a few actual working years to complete (and it truly shows).

It doesn't take an overly intelligent mind to figure WHY they would want to use a RMAH and get a cut of (a lot of) the transactions. That's fine. Here's the problem: you built the entire game around a pure gear grind, and then force that gear grind to revolve around the AH, specifically the RMAH. There is literally no other dynamic. When you build a game from a purely business stand point, you're not building a great game - and a great game this is not.

In conclusion, gamers, do you really want to spend your time on yet another slave-like gear grind? If so, eat your heart out. You'll find no better place to do it! If not, there are a plethora of other games out there much more deserving of your $60, I promise.

Diablo 3 was built around Activision's greed. Participate at your own will.

Gamers hold grudges and people aren't going to forget this disaster. If you obliterate your true fan base, the pillars of your success come falling soon after.

I give this post less than a few hours before it is deleted by Blizzard moderators. Can't have that bad flavor out there, can we? Truth hurts.
  18. Aug 19, 2017
    Blizzard lost conscience for so much that they sell the game in micro pieces, and in fact at the start the game still gave hope for something good, this game is just a mistake of the universe, like all the games from Blizzard.
  19. May 20, 2012
    Taking a glance the left column, one can almost see soul leaving the rotting corpse of the Gaming Review Industry. Diablo 3 is upon us and lo shall any mere mortal dare give it a rating lower than a perfect ten.

Twelve years in the making, Diablo 3 should be providing the Gamer with buckets of entertainment and fun, but strangely, this isn't really the case. The game is quite fun for sure, but there's nothing new here, in fact it's just a walk down memory lane for most. Here's the problem;

1. The constant need to be on Battlenet even in Single Player is just plain annoying. I really don't want to be online for a single player adventure, what is so hard to understand? The Server problems isn't a big deal to be honest, but the need for a constant internet connection to battlenet AND the server problems just highlights the stupidity in the design decision.
    2. The lack of customization at the character screen. Seriously? just dyes to change the color of your armor?
    3. The lack of customization of the skill trees makes all the character classes, 'feel' the same, plays the same. One would think that after twelve years in development, some thought would have gone into it.
    4. The User Interface is a little wanting. Certain elements like the mini-map and the quest log actually blocks and detracts from the overall fight and gaming mechanics. For Range classes, you're constantly clicking into your mini-map or having to walk a couple of steps around to move the screen just to see what you're hitting and aiming at.

What was supposedly a 10 star game is now without 4 stars and I can only give this a 6/10 effort. Probably good enough for Kotick and gang.

It is now terribly obvious that this marriage between Activision and Blizzard is no good, and it's high time for a divorce.
  20. May 20, 2012
    This review starts off at 10/10, and I'll explain the deductions... (I tried my best to not have spoilers of any kind)

DRM: I personally wouldn't play offline, as I want my character to progress, and to play with my friends; BUT being required to only play online just pisses me off as a consumer. Make it so single player characters that are offline can NEVER go online. Problem solved! ( -3 )

Connectivity: Under normal games this is not an issue. Server crashes, you get a 10 second time-out. If you die, so what repair your stuff for a marginal amount of gold and continue. I however play Hard-core. If the server craps out on my character may be permanently deleted through no fault of my own. ( -1)

Auction House: I've seen stuff available for sale in Game-gold (which is fine) I would never pay any cash for anything. I won't knock the game for that. ( No Effect )

Game-play: It is somewhat fun, you have to play with other people or it will become boring as hell in no time. The inclusion of lore, and side stories helps to add emersion, but the story is predictable, and very linear. I was expecting a better story out of this game, as they had 12 years to make it and a litany of novels written about the world to draw off of. ( +1 ) I wish this was higher like a +4 :( but no way can I rate it anything other than ( +1 )

The fact I can only customize my hero through items is a bit disappointing, but it has it's upside as well. No worries about misplacing a skill point, or a Patch coming along ruining my build, but It's all cookie cutter. It's a + and a - in my books. ( No Effect ) Graphics: The cinematic are gorgeous, but there are soo few!!! The rest are drawn graphic-novel style with not much in the way of colour. They can argue they did this for effect, but I found it disappointing, and skip them the second time through. A waste I say... The world is nicely done to a degree, there is depth along the sides of the map so it feels bigger than Diablo 2, but the trees, rocks, chests, and all objects are poorly textured, and have rather piss poor Poll- counts. The characters look their best, and I use this word reluctantly, at the log-in screen. Even here the textures are very poor, and the overall models weak. This game looks like it was released in 2004-2005. ( -2 )

Sound: Awesome! Voice acting: Really good. ( +1 ) Environment: The game is too colourful and pleasant for the story line it purports. The game is about death, sacrifice, evil, horror, terror etc. Sure have the parts colourful when this emphasises the nature of the level, but when you are in the midst of a supposed living nightmare. It doesn't fly. ( - 1 )

Interface: easy to navigate, they think of all the little things that could make life annoying and didn't commit those sins, but these are little things and spit/polish, so can't earn a lot of points. ( +1 )

Skills: Some skills are simply useless compared to others, there is very little in the description to the exact numerical effect on damage, evasion, resistance, etc. So you have to activate a skill with your stat menu open to see exactly how good or pathetic a skill is. It should be as simple as putting your mouse cursor over a skill and see (grants a +7.87% evasion at your current level... for example). (-1 )

If my math serves me right this is an aggregate of -5 to the original starting score of 10. So I rank this game a 5/10.
  21. Jun 2, 2012
    So, i wrote a review about how the story line and game play is horrible but i deleted it because i had to revise my opinion, I have been hacked twice this week because of blizzards horrible account system, there is no excuses for this, having an authenticator is not a solution to having a bad password system. only alphanumeric characters and they aren't case sensitive, not to mentionSo, i wrote a review about how the story line and game play is horrible but i deleted it because i had to revise my opinion, I have been hacked twice this week because of blizzards horrible account system, there is no excuses for this, having an authenticator is not a solution to having a bad password system. only alphanumeric characters and they aren't case sensitive, not to mention there is no limit on log in attempts so bod can brute force accounts quite easily... Valve on the other had makes you send a verification to your email if you log into another mac address so much easier than buying an authenticator, this game is also horrible but their account system is worse much worse... Expand
  22. Jun 17, 2013
    This game got roasted for having a rocky first week, as well as the impossibly high expectations from gamers who hold past Diablo games on a pedestal. I almost docked a point for being online-only, but I'm not someone who would actually play it offline, so for me it's not an issue. As it stands, the game is currently the best ARPG out there. The server hasn't been an issue since week 1,This game got roasted for having a rocky first week, as well as the impossibly high expectations from gamers who hold past Diablo games on a pedestal. I almost docked a point for being online-only, but I'm not someone who would actually play it offline, so for me it's not an issue. As it stands, the game is currently the best ARPG out there. The server hasn't been an issue since week 1, there is now PVP, the crafting is improved, the drop rates are better, the legendaries and sets are better, the players are genuinely pushed to play together cooperatively through massive bonuses, and players can control their gameplay experience a lot via the monster power settings. Of course the game can get boring after about 200 hours, but what game doesn't? The fact is that this is the best ARPG on the market. I've played the others, and they don't really hold a candle. The design of the skills and the classes is of the highest quality. Compare to Torchlight 2 where the skill balance and class balance is atrocious. Expand
  23. May 18, 2012
    Regardless of sever errors, simple in-game lag and DRM protection, Diablo 3 delivers a truly remarkable experience, and a world incredibly generous with it's adventures and goodies. The world of Diablo 3 is simply indulging, unique and highly artistic in every perspective, it brings back a world of terror in a new and beautiful way, it's simple interface and variety of choice makes it evenRegardless of sever errors, simple in-game lag and DRM protection, Diablo 3 delivers a truly remarkable experience, and a world incredibly generous with it's adventures and goodies. The world of Diablo 3 is simply indulging, unique and highly artistic in every perspective, it brings back a world of terror in a new and beautiful way, it's simple interface and variety of choice makes it even more addicting, it will definitely leave you wanting more, it is a true Blizzard masterpiece. Expand
  24. Jul 1, 2012
    Ok, I am rewriting this review because after getting near the end of the game in Nightmare mode the game have become brutally unplayable. Monsters are placed right near spawn areas, much of the time elites, and if you die then that game is pretty much over. Cheating one shot kills the second you spawn in befor e you can even get one click off is NOT fun. When I exit the game and comeOk, I am rewriting this review because after getting near the end of the game in Nightmare mode the game have become brutally unplayable. Monsters are placed right near spawn areas, much of the time elites, and if you die then that game is pretty much over. Cheating one shot kills the second you spawn in befor e you can even get one click off is NOT fun. When I exit the game and come back in they are still waiting there for me and I am dead before the game is finished loading. It is an eternal loop of login/respawn and die. Expand
  25. Jun 3, 2012
    In a nutshell, Diablo 3 is a well refined Diablo 2 for modern times. Visceral physics-based destruction, awesome monster models, realistic CGI cutscenes, full voice acting and pleasing special effects are all excellent additions to the Diablo franchaise, making the experience that much sweeter.

It seems the nearly 11 years of development wasn't enough - some character voice acting (Female barbarian, for example) is terrible, with a lack of enthusiasm and a poorly imitated accent. The story and setting in the final act felt very rushed - the supposedly epic moment in the game featured very small areas, no main city, few monsters, and very rushed story - a lot happens at once, and it all resolves very quickly.

The gameplay has a lot of much-needed refinements, notably the flexible and open skill talent system, single-potions removes the annoying potion spam and randomized 'events' add replayability and exploration. The combat is very satisfying and addictive, and looting monsters has never been better! Multiplayer features a lot of improvements, such as achievements, an auction house, simple partying, proper 'exclusive loot' system and cloud support. Unfortunately, Blizzard played it safe in this area, and unless you've never played previous Diablo games, you'll find very little new for gameplay.

It's still a click-fest; Blizzard hasn't discovered the wonders of a WASD movement system, though admittedly the 'click area' for monsters is quite forgivable. There were issues around large monsters in trying to move your player instead of attacking - the 'click area' for these demons are usually huge and not very intuitive - I repeat, a WASD movement system would fix this easily. Lastly, the 5 different character classes are vastly out of balance, where the melee classes have very little difficulty, and certain skills are downright trash. Maybe they will be useful in PvP (which was not shipped with the game). Lastly, for $60, Diablo 3 doesn't offer a long game - levels are no longer completely randomly generated a-la Diablo 1, and it only took 17.5 hours to absorb the majority of the game's content! For 11 years of development, a little more substance was expected.
    The controversial 'always-on' requirement, aimed at reducing game piracy, causes solo players to suffer. Players can now suffer from lag and disconnects, and is not playable when the servers are down. Not the best decision by Blizzard, but it's not as bad as some say, since the game works great when the servers are up.

Overall, Diablo 3 is a much-needed refinement to the Diablo games, well deserving of the "III" attached. Highly recommended to Diablo fans, those looking for fast-paced multiplayer co-op mayhem or those interested in the next best PC-exclusive title! Unfortunately, Blizzard played it safe with Diablo 3, with very few major gameplay features added and it still feels like an unfinished product, with a semi-operational auction house, promised PvP and vastly imbalanced gameplay. To end on a high note, Blizzard is known to support their games for years and years, so there's no doubt this review's complaints will become obsolete in the future!
  26. Jun 11, 2012
    A great dungeon-crawling romp that perfects the genre but adds nothing new to it. GOOD: a reasonably well written and coherent story with decent characters; Lots of loot allowing constant weapon and armour re-speccing; Graphically consistent with a nice water-colour finish to the landscapes; A good selection of classes to choose from, all with unique identifiable skills; Gold money auctionA great dungeon-crawling romp that perfects the genre but adds nothing new to it. GOOD: a reasonably well written and coherent story with decent characters; Lots of loot allowing constant weapon and armour re-speccing; Graphically consistent with a nice water-colour finish to the landscapes; A good selection of classes to choose from, all with unique identifiable skills; Gold money auction house is easy to use and gives players a reason to hang onto redundant, yet rare equipment; Drop-in drop-out co-op is quick and well implemented; Enemy scaling with number of players ensures no challenge is lost in co-op; Ability to re-spec abilities of active character on the fly reduces the need to start characters over again in order to get the ability combinations you desire; Ui is crisp, clear and uncluttered. BAD: Game cannot be played offline, even in single player, which is unnecessary and unfair for the consumer; Intrusive, unreliable always-online DRM causes many disconnection issues; Due to always-online functionality there are significant amounts of lag and framerate issues which diminish the overall quality of the experience; Weapon system is bizarre and poorly implemented with wizard characters casting spells out of a sword that they can't actually use; Other than clothing, characters cannot be customized, which makes the character selection seem a little out-dated; Character animations and graphics are boring and don't match the wonderful water-colour-like environments; Numerous balancing issues between classes that are going to take a while to iron out; Sound effects, voice acting and music are unremarkable; Stat points are automatically assigned upon levelling-up preventing players from creating truly unique character builds; Companion characters available when playing single player are not very useful and are quite boring additions to your adventure. OVERALL: There's nothing inherently wrong with Diablo 3 - it's a left-click marathon of a game with plenty of loot and loads of enemies to kill. But it's also one of the most stressful games I have ever experienced due to the totally unnecessary always-online DRM which is seriously detrimental to the industry and rather quite worrying. Add to this the fact that Diablo 3 brings little to nothing new to the genre that it so wonderfully popularised and you've got yourself a rather disappointing game. Is Diablo 3 fun? Yes. Is it the dungeon crawler that we've all been waiting for? Probably not. Expand
  27. Jul 23, 2012
    I beg my fellow user Metacritics to stop rating generally very good games below a 6. Diablo III is clearly, generally, a very good game. But this score would indicate that many of you think it's worse than, say, Postal. It's not. For this reason, I think the user ratings system here is completely useless. For me, Diablo III gets a solid 7. It's a technically well-crafted, slick game,I beg my fellow user Metacritics to stop rating generally very good games below a 6. Diablo III is clearly, generally, a very good game. But this score would indicate that many of you think it's worse than, say, Postal. It's not. For this reason, I think the user ratings system here is completely useless. For me, Diablo III gets a solid 7. It's a technically well-crafted, slick game, and it's fun. The biggest problem it's got going for it is the 12 years between Diablo II and III. In that time, we've seen copycats "do" Diablo over and over and over and over, with varying levels of success. What made Diablo I so amazing was that it was really a new, frenetic style of playing an RPG game. Kind of a "ramped up" Roguelike game that was instantly addictive. Ridiculously addictive. Diablo II carried the torch a few years later and raised the bar significantly. All the fun of the first, plus tons of new innovations. Diablo III doesn't add or subtract much from Diablo II, and that's pretty disappointing given the 12 years in-between. If anything, Diablo III has indeed carried on the HORRIBLE pit of hell gamer-makers have fallen into of "dumbing down" their games and making it accessible to the least-common denominator. They don't understand, I guess, that hardcore gamers are the fan base, and that what the hardcores say translates well into the general public. In other words, a series like the Elder Scrolls caught on and became hugely popular almost strictly because hardcore gamers went on and on about how great it was. Instead of appealing to the hardcores and making games more intricate and more complex, with more features, and more moving parts, they seem to strip away and streamline and make console-friendly, and yada yada yada. Diablo III is a prey to this mentality as well, and the aggravation is reflected with such low (too low, absolutely too low) scores.

In the end, what Diablo III is is a continuation of a legendary series of games. Unlike the first two, III doesn't really raise any bars or add any innovations that we will now see replicated in dozens of copycats, and that's too bad. Instead of opting for trend-setting, Diablo III plays it relatively safe and stands as a solid, fun, addictive, nice-looking, stable game, a decent addition to the series, but nothing terribly mindblowing. I tired of it after about 2 weeks, and I can absolutely not say that about the first two Diablos. The difference? Having stripped all of the customization out of the game (attributes, skills, etc.), I never really felt all that connected to my characters, which have a definite "pre-made" feel to them. The hallmark of any role playing game is the role playing part of it. This is action and it's clearly designed more for the unwashed masses than the hardcore gamers.
  28. Oct 23, 2015
    Matar, matar, matar, matar... Y matar? No tiene mucho más, las recompensas vienen solas y la campaña no tiene prácticamente sentido a no ser que te hayas pasado el juego de hace muchos años ya... Y la única rejugabilidad que tiene, es pasártelo con más nivel, y si no tienes internet amigo mío... Me da que no juegas!
  29. May 20, 2012
    I found that the looting system in Diablo 3 disappointing. Once you hit hell the grinding begins and there doesn't seem to be any reason to do it because your options don't really exist but in some lame ass skill runes. The skill runes suck because they're just a breakdown of what each skill should have been without the runes anyhow. Its a graphically impressive games with some real proI found that the looting system in Diablo 3 disappointing. Once you hit hell the grinding begins and there doesn't seem to be any reason to do it because your options don't really exist but in some lame ass skill runes. The skill runes suck because they're just a breakdown of what each skill should have been without the runes anyhow. Its a graphically impressive games with some real pro work on fx but thats doesn't excuse the poor design. Expand
  30. May 20, 2012
    For the newly initiated, you can add 4 points to the User Review score due to people posting 0's because they do not like DRM. For those with internet connections (ahem), this really is a great game. I'm currently a level 25 (Barbarian), 500 achievement points, have been completing everything, grabbing all loot, etc... (taking my time) and am having a BLAST. The story is well done and theFor the newly initiated, you can add 4 points to the User Review score due to people posting 0's because they do not like DRM. For those with internet connections (ahem), this really is a great game. I'm currently a level 25 (Barbarian), 500 achievement points, have been completing everything, grabbing all loot, etc... (taking my time) and am having a BLAST. The story is well done and the voice acting is top notch. Sound in general are nearly perfect. The auction house (just started using it) is great, just used my gold from the game (I would never use real money to buy virtual things, sorry Blizzard) to pick up some freaking awesome armor and two axes. Throw in randomly generated maps, and characters that are wildly different means I will be playing this at least one more time (whenever I finish the Barbarian, that is, already about 30 hours in, probably half way through?). Super fun game. Sorry to the folks with bad internet connections. That does suck, and feel for you (I do not like this DRM type either), but when used in the environment Blizzard forces you to use it in, it is a kick butt game. Expand
  31. Jul 19, 2012
    This Game ist Very Bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  32. Nov 9, 2012
    Funny, I could have sworn I already reviewed this game. Anyhoo, I can only describe this game as a purchased virus. The few times I could actually play the game, every session was preceded by an hour of patch downloads. Now, I cannot use it at all. My account has been arbitrarily blocked more than once- This already happened to my WoW accout as well after I quit playing it for years.Funny, I could have sworn I already reviewed this game. Anyhoo, I can only describe this game as a purchased virus. The few times I could actually play the game, every session was preceded by an hour of patch downloads. Now, I cannot use it at all. My account has been arbitrarily blocked more than once- This already happened to my WoW accout as well after I quit playing it for years. I spent way too much time trying to receive support since you need to log in to their crap for EVERYTHING. I refuse to MAIL them a copy of my driver's license or PURCHASE their authenticator to "avoid issues" such as this. When I had finally had enough of the ridiculous hoop jumping I went to uninstall everything Blizzard but their uninstall program does not uninstall the game- it just takes the shortcut off the desktop. Nice! This company should be the target of a class-action lawsuit. Their business strategies are nothing short of CRIMINAL. The game itself isn't horrible, but definitely not worth all the headaches to keep it going. It's like dealing with the DMV. I just want it OFF my system. I am done with everything Blizzard. Torchlight 2 is the way to go. Expand
  33. Jan 20, 2013
    It has had a terrible launch, no PvP, broken balance, fairly short campaign, mediocre storyline (some enemies have ridiculous combination of powers, like super speed, invisibility, teleportation and high damage attacks and there's completely useless skills in later difficulties), and I'm not even taking into account the *always online* requirement DRM, and modding not being allowed for it.It has had a terrible launch, no PvP, broken balance, fairly short campaign, mediocre storyline (some enemies have ridiculous combination of powers, like super speed, invisibility, teleportation and high damage attacks and there's completely useless skills in later difficulties), and I'm not even taking into account the *always online* requirement DRM, and modding not being allowed for it. One of the things that kept diablo 2 alive is being outright banned? To hell with this franchise. Its obvious Blizzard cares more about WoW. I'm going to find a better hack n slash game. Path of Exile is coming out soon. Expand
  34. Dec 9, 2015
    The game itself isn't that bad for people who haven't played the previous titles in Diablo, but if you've played them... you're in for a big disappointment.

The graphics weren't bad, the environment was and still is spectacular and also animations, its soundtrack is admirably good and helps giving consistency to the game. The gameplay is good, the first time you play it the main campign you see it's very easy, the second time you play it you level up the difficulty... still too easy. But if you play Inferno... Oh Good Lord! It's just a complete waste of time. The backstory was mediocre, lots of cinematics but not it won't enthrall you at any point.

I didn't like at all the auction house, I found it a very poor way of pay2win and I don't support at all those games, Blizzard got confused in a very big way creating it.

As for the game issues... Pffff, what say? At this point there will be no problems, in fact on PS4 has had many good reviews, but in its day it was awful on PC: Constat frame-drops, the always-online DRM, lagg and online errors, no PvP at launch date...

I was really hyped with this game, and it just let me down. If you're whiling to buy it, don't spend more than 30-35€, I paid the original 60€ myself and it didn't deserve it.
  35. May 20, 2012
    The game is really great, the graphics are good compared to the requirements. Don't let these guys fool you, I've spent a lot of time playing it with my friends and we're soon lvl 60! People hate on Diablo, because in the first days, there have been some problems to log in(which is understandable, with so many people playing it. It's stupid how people can't wait for like a day to play theThe game is really great, the graphics are good compared to the requirements. Don't let these guys fool you, I've spent a lot of time playing it with my friends and we're soon lvl 60! People hate on Diablo, because in the first days, there have been some problems to log in(which is understandable, with so many people playing it. It's stupid how people can't wait for like a day to play the game. I'd recommend this to everyone who likes to play a game where, co-op, single-player and pvp is mixed together into awesomeness. Remember guys this isn't Diablo 2, it's Diablo 3. Expand
  36. May 7, 2014
    Just ignore all the haters, this is an awesome game. Great gameplay, nice story and I love the new skill system. Definitely the best game in the series and now that all the connection errors are gone it's definitely a 9/10
  37. Sep 28, 2012
    Diablo 3 is a major disappointment. It is really only 4-6 hours long. Wasted $60. Will not buy anything related to Diablo ever again. This game could be worth it if it were under $10.
  38. Oct 22, 2013
    Its a good game. It's wonderfully cinematic, and I've yet to run into a serious bug. The music is worthy of a Diablo game, mucn of the atmosphere is terrific, and its visually appealing.

That said, it's not as good as Diablo 2 was. I'll spare you the hyperbole, but, I'm an older gamer, and its not rose-tinted glasses as I've gone back to D2. The primary reason that it disappoints is the loot system. Why? It's very rudimentary compared to D2. Skills? Very limited again. Full control over your own build? Gone. Endless variety of builds and supporting equipment? Gone. Sigh.

I'm making it sound like a disaster, it isn't. Just read the TLDR.

TLDR It's good, but it's a disappointment if you hoped it would live up to its predecessor.
  39. Jul 5, 2014
    Outside of joining a lot of other reviewers in being annoyed that I had to connect to an account for single player, I still found the game to be poor. The story was a miserable bag of cliches, the atmosphere was unimpressive, the game-play itself felt bland, and the treasure system I loved from number two was reduced to background noise. Graphics are great, but that won't carry a gameOutside of joining a lot of other reviewers in being annoyed that I had to connect to an account for single player, I still found the game to be poor. The story was a miserable bag of cliches, the atmosphere was unimpressive, the game-play itself felt bland, and the treasure system I loved from number two was reduced to background noise. Graphics are great, but that won't carry a game for this little black duck. Expand
  40. May 16, 2012
    Diablo 3 is fun. It's a perfect evolution of a highly addictive concept, cutting down a lot of time from identifying, organising your inventory and getting on with the action. However, the DRM really can't be overlooked, especially when you have to log in even if you play on your own. Such things shouldn't exist as you can't guarantee a user can always be online and while the real moneyDiablo 3 is fun. It's a perfect evolution of a highly addictive concept, cutting down a lot of time from identifying, organising your inventory and getting on with the action. However, the DRM really can't be overlooked, especially when you have to log in even if you play on your own. Such things shouldn't exist as you can't guarantee a user can always be online and while the real money auction house is an interesting idea, I can't see enough people using it to really warrant this.
    If you enjoy action RPGs and don't mind this sort of incontinence, get Diablo 3. Otherwise, wait for Torchlight 2.
  41. Dec 28, 2012
    I personally enjoyed this a lot for the time I played it. It's not as addictive and re-playable as Diablo 2, and it doesn't offer the variety of environments and loot to be found in it's biggest competitor Torchlight 2, but it's still very well done. Most of the complaints I hear are either technical issues that have been resolved or players disagreeing with specific new mechanics. TheI personally enjoyed this a lot for the time I played it. It's not as addictive and re-playable as Diablo 2, and it doesn't offer the variety of environments and loot to be found in it's biggest competitor Torchlight 2, but it's still very well done. Most of the complaints I hear are either technical issues that have been resolved or players disagreeing with specific new mechanics. The worst of them is the introduction of the Auction House that makes it too easy to get much better loot by cash or gold purchase instead of earning it through gameplay like it was in D2 and like it is in Torchlight 2. The difficulty has clearly been tweaked around the idea that the game has to be challenging for people who will buy the best gear right at the beginning of Inferno, and that crippled the game's playability for those wanting to do it the old fashioned way. I think any ARPG fan will have fun up to Inferno difficulty regardless. It's just up to you if it's worth tolerating the problems after that point, but you've already played through the story multiple times to get that far. Expand
  42. Mar 17, 2014
    Reduced my rating from 3 to 0. D3 no longer exists in it's original form. Blizzard killed the game with patch 2.0 for worse. All they needed to do was give us simple things like more acts/areas to play, events, etc, not revamp and facelift the entire game balance and mechanics. Barbarian class is garbage now, whilst Wizzard is godly. Main stats are on steroids, life steal buried, AHReduced my rating from 3 to 0. D3 no longer exists in it's original form. Blizzard killed the game with patch 2.0 for worse. All they needed to do was give us simple things like more acts/areas to play, events, etc, not revamp and facelift the entire game balance and mechanics. Barbarian class is garbage now, whilst Wizzard is godly. Main stats are on steroids, life steal buried, AH buried, BOA and no trading possible. PvP still doesn't exist as was promised >3 years ago. Blizzard/Activision is a garbage company still trying to ride on their past glories from decade ago. Expand
  43. May 22, 2012
    Game is great! But dictating when I am allowed to play it is not worthy of a single point. If Blizzard wishes to force us to login to the game then as a consumer I expect Blizzard to be online when I wish to play Diablo III.
  44. Jun 1, 2012
    I think one of the comments on IGN was "I just love clicking the gold and items on the screen and how it has never been so much fun!". That would be fun if it was five years ago and the first iphone came out. Then I would click and slide my finger across a tiny glass little screen. Diablo 3 looks like an ipad game that forces you to connect to the internet to play. The only problem isI think one of the comments on IGN was "I just love clicking the gold and items on the screen and how it has never been so much fun!". That would be fun if it was five years ago and the first iphone came out. Then I would click and slide my finger across a tiny glass little screen. Diablo 3 looks like an ipad game that forces you to connect to the internet to play. The only problem is you're still alone in your room, but wait a second I'm connected to the internet? I'm guessing they are trading your information to other sites to make a little cash on the side while you play one of the most dissapointing sequels of the decade. The problem started when they decided to make the game. Hack & Slash games aren't very good to begin with. We all played Diablo and Diablo 2 because we were waiting for Starcraft, or the next Warcraft RTS game. Probably the same reason why Blizzard eliminated the studio after the mediocre interest of Diablo 2. Then instead of coming up with a new ip, which I believe was rumored, they brought back their B franchise. Think of Warcraft without 90% of the lore. It's like the mouse for the PC just came out and they are showing you what it's capable of doing. I thought Blizzard shifted from making games this bad and wanted to build mmos and advanced rts esports games, the next age of gaming, instead they wanted to release another Diablo with half the content, no PVP, a gimmicky way to rip players off with a store that should be illegal. They forced it to be on the internet so that they wouldn't have cheating. The problem is no serious players are going to play this for long, so cheating might even add a bit of interest to the game after people have nothing else to do which happens after two days and beat it. Hey now try it but the enemies have a lot more health and the same artificial intelligence. Expand
  45. Jun 4, 2012
    Oh Activision, how you have utterly ruined the greatest gaming franchise in history.
    This entire game is based around Activision making money with the in-game real money auction house.
    Any opinions to the contrary are simply wrong. There was no motivation other than greed for making this game. This game plays like a version of D2 that was made for 5 year olds. No customization, vastly
    This game plays like a version of D2 that was made for 5 year olds. No customization, vastly reduced loot tables, legendary items are terrible, set items are impossible to find.
    There are absolutely zero redeeming qualities to this game.
    Do NOT buy it.
  46. Jun 9, 2012
    First the positives. First four cut scenes are amazing (last one is underwhelming). The epic feel that is present in those scenes is truly breathtaking and effort can clearly be seen. Graphics are not bad. I was expecting to dislike them because they were using the same point of view as previous Diablo games which were 12+ years old, but the game looks very nice, so much so that I wouldFirst the positives. First four cut scenes are amazing (last one is underwhelming). The epic feel that is present in those scenes is truly breathtaking and effort can clearly be seen. Graphics are not bad. I was expecting to dislike them because they were using the same point of view as previous Diablo games which were 12+ years old, but the game looks very nice, so much so that I would not mind seeing a real RPG (Baldur's Gate 3?) done the same way.
    Sound is very well done. Weapons and spell sound clean and you can really hear your attacks impact the targets.

The Bad
    Story is HORRID. BAD dialogue with bad voice acting. Bosses exist to keep monologuing telling you exactly what they plan on doing and where you need to go or what you need to do to stop them.
    Difficulty is a joke. First time through, in 15-20 hours you won't die unless you really screw up. Second time around you fight a particular kind of an elite unit which can be more difficult than any boss fight. Third time around you will struggle to kill anyone... until you visit AH and spend 1 hour worth of gold pickup and get some rare items your level, unlike the drops which 5-15 levels below your level, usually with stats that make no sense, in which case game becomes easy, save for few elite mobs which again, could be more difficult than any boss. AH which is so heavily saturated with gear that extremely good end game elites can be had for 2 hours of grinding.
    Game is just too unbalanced. I have read that the inferno is extremely difficult, which could be true, but in 38 hours and two complete walkthroughs through the game and a third one more than half done, I think I have had ~2 hours of what could be called balanced game. Rest of it was way too easy and couple of occasions where it was just broken.
  47. Aug 22, 2014
    "Diablo Online" should be called instead the shameful "3" that ruins the saga, it was meant to be played by a massive casual market, even most of the high scores to this game are based on "how good was simplified to all audiences" ignoring that this used to be a hardcore franchise. Also have lost features! There aren't stats, skill tree, lan, offline... how can be "good" a game who offer"Diablo Online" should be called instead the shameful "3" that ruins the saga, it was meant to be played by a massive casual market, even most of the high scores to this game are based on "how good was simplified to all audiences" ignoring that this used to be a hardcore franchise. Also have lost features! There aren't stats, skill tree, lan, offline... how can be "good" a game who offer less than its predecessors? And new features was only to destroy the playability like real money, while new features that could improve the game like mod support were discarded... the shameful casualization of Blizzard. Expand
  48. Oct 31, 2016
    Ok i finished this game and while I didn't get off to a good start and gave it a low score, I'm going to raise it because it's actually not that bad (now, after all the patches and changes to the game). Right off the bat if you want any challenge at all, you should crank up the difficulty to torment 1 atleast. The game is stupidly easy on anything lower. They got rid of a lot of thingsOk i finished this game and while I didn't get off to a good start and gave it a low score, I'm going to raise it because it's actually not that bad (now, after all the patches and changes to the game). Right off the bat if you want any challenge at all, you should crank up the difficulty to torment 1 atleast. The game is stupidly easy on anything lower. They got rid of a lot of things which made diablo 2 great, but they did put in other gameplay mechanics which are pretty good too. Anyway it's highly addictive so beware :) It has tons of replay value. Expand
  49. May 15, 2012
    Yet another game series has been killed off by the likes of casualization in the industry. At least they bothered to change it from being rated T to rated M, but that doesn't fix even half the problems this game has. My biggest problem were the visuals. How does Diablo 2, a pretty old game, look so much better than 3? The cartoony WoW artstyle doesn't fit at all, the textures and modelsYet another game series has been killed off by the likes of casualization in the industry. At least they bothered to change it from being rated T to rated M, but that doesn't fix even half the problems this game has. My biggest problem were the visuals. How does Diablo 2, a pretty old game, look so much better than 3? The cartoony WoW artstyle doesn't fit at all, the textures and models are crap, and the lighting is absolute **** The graphics even get in the way of gameplay, sometimes during combat there are so many random spell/skill effects on the screen that I can't see what's going on. Auction house runs on real money and the game has been significantly dumbed down for idiots. Always-Online DRM wrecks any chance of single-player which is how I played the classic games for the most part. All in all terrible game, wouldn't play. Expand
  50. May 15, 2012
    Piracy and console gaming has truly destroyed the PC gaming industry and Diablo 3 is just a horrific example of developers greed for making money.Diablo 3 is absolute piece of crap and i'd prefer the original diablo 2 billion times over it.Firstly the always online drm truly deprives you to even start that game and once luckily you get to play the SP then you for sure shed tears thinkingPiracy and console gaming has truly destroyed the PC gaming industry and Diablo 3 is just a horrific example of developers greed for making money.Diablo 3 is absolute piece of crap and i'd prefer the original diablo 2 billion times over it.Firstly the always online drm truly deprives you to even start that game and once luckily you get to play the SP then you for sure shed tears thinking "THERE GOES MY 60$" Gameplay is repititive,most of the customization elements found in diablo 2 are gone.The game is just a crappy remake of diablo 2 to satisfy developers money greed. DIABLO 3 IS A COMPLETE FIASCO.Stay Away from this one! Expand
  51. May 15, 2012
    More of a tech demo than an actual game. Game is short with no soul put into it. No stat distribution. Similar classes are nearly identical without many options to make you different than other players. Only 4 players can play in a game, and maps have checkpoints are are linear. The classes also lack polish. The witch doctor is a shell of what the necromancer used to be, and the monk is aMore of a tech demo than an actual game. Game is short with no soul put into it. No stat distribution. Similar classes are nearly identical without many options to make you different than other players. Only 4 players can play in a game, and maps have checkpoints are are linear. The classes also lack polish. The witch doctor is a shell of what the necromancer used to be, and the monk is a poor replacement of the paladin. This is what happens when creativity is lost in making computer games. The whole game feels like it was made by an artist who was forced to paint something he didn't want to. This game is a waste of money, go play diablo 2. Expand
  52. May 16, 2012
    Forget Diablo the lord of hell, the new Prime Evil that needs to be defeated is this draconian DRM nightmare that prevents legit costumers from playing what they paid for and which introduces lag into single player. If single player with lag isn't truly evil, I don't know what is. Forget hell, the HQ of Activision-Blizzard is where the true evil is to be found these days. Better take yourForget Diablo the lord of hell, the new Prime Evil that needs to be defeated is this draconian DRM nightmare that prevents legit costumers from playing what they paid for and which introduces lag into single player. If single player with lag isn't truly evil, I don't know what is. Forget hell, the HQ of Activision-Blizzard is where the true evil is to be found these days. Better take your sword, spells, or whatever and go there to fight evil. Just be prepared, there is much evil there and you better not go alone. And forget this game, it's just a shorter and simplified version of Diablo 2 with 2004 Wow Graphics that offers nothing that was not already done better by other games before. Expand
  53. Sep 24, 2012
    This game had it's launch problems, then you could play it for a while and no the RMAH has turned into what many feared it would. There should have been an option to play this game without internet connection. It's a shame, the death of Diablo no doubt.
  54. May 27, 2012
    Constant internet connection and battle. net requirements aside, the game is a solid dungeon crawler. The graphics (while appearing dated) give a solid atmosphere, and the sound design and musical score are very well done and engaging. The story is pretty typical, but it gives what you're doing a purpose and that's good enough. The gameplay, for the most part, is solid. It's disappointingConstant internet connection and battle. net requirements aside, the game is a solid dungeon crawler. The graphics (while appearing dated) give a solid atmosphere, and the sound design and musical score are very well done and engaging. The story is pretty typical, but it gives what you're doing a purpose and that's good enough. The gameplay, for the most part, is solid. It's disappointing you can no longer distribute attribute and skill points to your own liking, as this was the staple of the previous diablo's. While this makes customization almost a literal no-go, they replay value of the game is still pretty high. It's fun to try and beat the game on a higher difficulty setting (which gets pretty hard), and there are five very different classes to choose. And, despite you having no controls over what skills you learn, the skills themselves are numerous and interesting. All in all, Diablo III is a good game, it's just hampered by poor decisions that were probably made to "streamline" the game. If you try to please everyone, you only disappoint everyone. Take notice, Blizzard. Expand
  55. Aug 16, 2012
    Well, I got the Starter Edition, and I'm 100% positive I won't buy the game. By the time I reached the first boss in the game, I was getting really bored, mainly because of the same environment and the difficulty. You wander in dungeons a lot, at least in the first act. About the difficulty; This game is too easy on normal, and since I'm unable to change the difficulty, I have to rateWell, I got the Starter Edition, and I'm 100% positive I won't buy the game. By the time I reached the first boss in the game, I was getting really bored, mainly because of the same environment and the difficulty. You wander in dungeons a lot, at least in the first act. About the difficulty; This game is too easy on normal, and since I'm unable to change the difficulty, I have to rate that. Despite being totally new to the game, not once did I have to use potions. The exploration: If you're someone who tries to explore everything in a game, like me, then prepared to be punished. The dungeons have optional and main pathways, where the objective is. Thing is, if you went the wrong way (for example, you see your objective) you have to go all the way back to explore that one optional wing/room, and then again go all the way back to the main path. You get XP for mindless things like destroying barrels or benches as fast as possible. One positive thing however, is that you can interact with the environment to some degrees, like you can use a chandelier to kill some demons with it by dropping it on the ground.
    So long story short, it has way too few pros and you burn out quickly from it (3 hours for me), so I wouldn't recommend getting this game, especially for the price they are asking for it.
  56. Sep 25, 2012
    Even though there is so much hate in Diablo 3, it still deserves credit for the best looking and executed looting game there is today (in modern years of course). Felt like an MMO, but yet still "single player", D3 is very brave at attempting this untested water, with things like the Real Money Auction House. If there is anything wrong with this game, it is not the way Blizzard is treatingEven though there is so much hate in Diablo 3, it still deserves credit for the best looking and executed looting game there is today (in modern years of course). Felt like an MMO, but yet still "single player", D3 is very brave at attempting this untested water, with things like the Real Money Auction House. If there is anything wrong with this game, it is not the way Blizzard is treating the players (making us into their test subjects), it's with the philosophy that this game shouldn't be "too easy" because the economy of the D3 items would hugely affect their income. Blizzard misunderstood what "fun" really means for the majority of players: we play because we want the accomplishment by playing, not wasting 300 hours while still unable to complete all the challenges! So whenever someone clever enough to figure out ways to have fun, Blizzard goes in to "nerf" them. This is the worst game I've had where whatever you are having can be stripped away instantly from a single player game. If not for the huge D2 background, nobody would care about such a manipulative MMORPG without content updates. Expand
  57. Mar 1, 2014
    I wondered why this game was such a massive disappointment until I realized it was made by Activision. They have killed Tony Hawk, GuitarHero, Call of Duty, and now Diablo. After 12 years they finally released this game, and it is so worse than garbage that there is no word to describe it. I could go on and on about why, but basically this game leaves out everything that was good about D2I wondered why this game was such a massive disappointment until I realized it was made by Activision. They have killed Tony Hawk, GuitarHero, Call of Duty, and now Diablo. After 12 years they finally released this game, and it is so worse than garbage that there is no word to describe it. I could go on and on about why, but basically this game leaves out everything that was good about D2 and adds a bunch of nothing...except for lag. I have not been able to run this game without constant lag on my year old dell. Ridiculous. BF3 runs at 30fps and still doesn't give lag anywhere near like this.  Expand
  58. May 15, 2012
    When I played D2, I liked most of all the feel of the game. Sure, I went on to play online and grind my way to greatness, but that wasn't what made it awesome. The general feel of the game was still that of an horror action game, this cartoonish look developed to cater to the wow herd is appalling, especially if you consider that the graphics look worse than torchlight. Now this game isWhen I played D2, I liked most of all the feel of the game. Sure, I went on to play online and grind my way to greatness, but that wasn't what made it awesome. The general feel of the game was still that of an horror action game, this cartoonish look developed to cater to the wow herd is appalling, especially if you consider that the graphics look worse than torchlight. Now this game is designed around the grind mechanics, boss runs and wathever, but that wasn't what made it awesome. Add the online DRM, and this is yet another big disappointment for 2012. On a side note: I'd really like to see blizzard come up with something new instead of milking its old successes. Expand
  59. May 15, 2012
    The only score you can give a game that doesn't work is a ZERO. 12 hours after launch, I can't log in. Emergency maintenance is being performed, maybe that will fix it. If you want people to like your product, your product better be able to handle the load created by those people. Blizzard failed extremely bad with this product. Not only was it late, by about 6 months, when it finallyThe only score you can give a game that doesn't work is a ZERO. 12 hours after launch, I can't log in. Emergency maintenance is being performed, maybe that will fix it. If you want people to like your product, your product better be able to handle the load created by those people. Blizzard failed extremely bad with this product. Not only was it late, by about 6 months, when it finally does release, it doesn't work. Beyond that there are a lot of little bugs and inconsistencies in game like FPS problems and stuttering (if you manage to get in which I did for a brief period last night) that were reported when beta began yet never fixed, bartenders repairing gear but the blacksmith (who actually makes gear) can't, inaccurate tooltips and information in game and other various bugs. This is not a smooth release, this is not a finished product and hell, right now, it's not even a product at all since you can't play it. Expand
  60. Apr 6, 2014
    Revising my overly positive old review. Great combat. Terrible items. Makes for a very underwhelming ARPG. RoS has fixed a lot of problems, but man oh man, this one will go down in history as the roughest release Blizz has ever seen, that is for certain.
  61. May 26, 2012
    over hyped piece of crap game, bad graphics, you cant zoom you cant rotate your camera, bad story were you are catapulted into it with no real background, bad controls, bad bad bad .... blizzard yet again prove that they think their customers are brainless cows just good for milking
  62. May 28, 2012
    This game is terrible. It's too cartoonish, it's boring, easy and it's just dumb. You just have to mash your mouse button and you'll be fine. I expected more from it.
  63. Jun 19, 2012
    It's an inferior Pay2Win MMORPG; without the RPG, without the MMO. D2 and D3 have nothing in common as far as game mechanics are concerned. Even aesthetically they have nothing in common, heck Diablo's a female now with boobs.
  64. Jun 4, 2012
    What could have been a fairly good standard hack'n slash turns into a complete and utter failure by implementation of a real money auction house that forces players to buy equipment there, because drop rates have been reduced dramatically in order to prevent the real money market from being flooded by too many items.
    The items you CAN find are fubbish 99% of the time. Servers are not very
    The items you CAN find are fubbish 99% of the time. Servers are not very stable. Overall the game annoys the hell out of me and I stopped playing it after 2 days. 0-/10
  65. Oct 3, 2012
    You can't play offline even if you solo, No lan support, 90% of the loots have stats that don't make sense.

For a loot driven game, i find the treasure hunting in this game extremely frustrating. Graphics are good, story is simple but effective, voice acting however is very cheesy. In short, this game doesn't encourage to play with your in co-op, and the loot system is so messed up

In short, this game doesn't encourage to play with your in co-op, and the loot system is so messed up you kinda wonder if bli$$ard didn't do it on purpose to "motivate" you to use their new auction house.

This game is a failure and a disappointment. Specially with TL 2 that just came out. It's just 20$ and delivers more than D3. Hell, TL 2 feels even closer to the spiritual successor of D2 than D3 itself.

D3 is pretty to look at, but that's about it!
  66. X0R
    Jun 11, 2012
    In a nutshell, I wasted $60 buying this and regret wasting the money. Could have been a really great game like the oldie, but is a clusterfck instead loaded with poor-performance on my high-end pc, and within a few days was trying to think of a reason to login.
  67. Jul 23, 2013
    Diablo 3, despite its many flaws, exploitable content, and grind-oriented gameplay, is a solid title. I could talk about its shortcomings, but seeing as how it has a 4.0 user rating I'm sure most of those have been covered in great detail. Instead I'll talk about how its a reasonably entertaining game with a high amount of polish.

Sure the graphics are more light-hearted than its

Sure the graphics are more light-hearted than its predecessors, but they're crisp and aesthetically appealing. The sound and music is also top-tier material; however, voice acting is sub-par.

The co-op is great and it's super easy and super fast to join up with friends. This is accomplished mainly by the fact that the game has virtually no load times. Yes, character customization is dumbed down, but it still has depth.I like the fact that there are so many viable abilities in the end-game and that you can choose a skill setup that matches your play style without severely handicapping yourself. Combat is fun and satisfying. The end-game is difficult, but far from impossible... just as Blizzard promised. Actually, I would have given the game an 8/10, but I felt obligated to subtract a point because of the upcoming nerf to inferno difficulty. Bad move in my opinion. After killing Diablo on inferno difficulty, I have no motivation to continue playing. Nerfing the difficult content is only going to expedite that process for others.

All in all I don't think this game will have the lasting appeal that Diablo 2 did, but it's still a solid title worth checking out, especially if you have some friends to play it with.
  68. Oct 21, 2012
    Way better than Diablo 2. Blizzard thankfully took all the annoying things in D2 and changed them. The story is fine, but the dialogs and the whole screenplay is terrible. The skill system is simply amazing, the items are way better and the stat screen although not perfect is at least informative compared to the random numbers in D2 char screen.
  69. Nov 11, 2013
    Alright, it's time to redo my poor review of this game from a few years ago!

Alright, it's time to redo my poor review of this game from a few years ago!

Alright, Diablo 3 upon launch was a highly controversial game, probablly more so than others. The auction house, always online connection, and numerous changes to the classic formula caused a massive uproar. Even to this day, the uproar is scary and still apparent, with none of the reviews being revised or changed, with many accounts on here clearly made just to give this game an absurd 0 through 2 rating. I hardly consider Diablo 3 to be as bad as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on Nintendo or E.T. for the Atari. Tons of games back then had bugs or glitches that were never fixed for obvious reasons, and the huge deluge of players simply was too much for Blizzard's servers to handle when it comes to Diablo 3. It's been a couple of years now, it's time to stop hating on this game, everybody.

Whether you love it or hate it, Diablo 3's greatest strength is the fluent, visceral gameplay. Ragdoll physics enable enemies to be brutally butchered in a myriad of ways, with tons of gore and fluent attacks/abilities that chain together seemlessly unlike Torchlight 1, Torchlight 2, or Path of Exile which feel stiff or awkward.

Diablo 3's excellent action is accentuated by an awesome, in depth ability system, with room for customization for each ability thanks to "Runes". I find it rather laughable when people constantly whine about "wanting to choose a spec" when they technically can do that now anyway with said abilities or runes. You see, there is a reason for why the ability bar is restricted, and this is to make it more tactical. If given too much freedom (which you can have by turning on the ability to customize the action bar completely), almost every player would choose only the most damaging or "best" abilities. Is this really "fun" to you? If you play online, is it really cool or fun to see everybody using the same god damn abilities over and over again?

While I am on the subject, there is also no reason for there to be a skill "tree" anymore because it can condensed, visually, into something like Diablo 3's current ability system. In many ways, it has the same damn depth as a skill tree, with a lot of room to change. You don't have to change anyway, you can keep your skills as they are now, but having the option to respec is always nice! Also, while I am at it, there is no point to stat points anymore. Each class benefits from EVERY stat now, with Strength giving more armor, Agility adding dodge chance, Intelligence adding elemental resistance (very valuable), and Stamina always important as it adds Health. So, the only real issue is having the classes get more damage output from one stat and one stat only. This is a real problem that hurts the game, but not fatally like all the negative reviews think.

The auction house, well, is about to get removed permanently. Now listen carefully: SOME PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE AH BEING REMOVED. Are you people never pleased?! Seriously, what is going on here? People were complaining about auction house woes one second, and now suddenly people are crying about it being removed soon! Gosh darn it! What I think about the auction house is that in concept, it was a good idea. But, the classic Diablo 2 spirit lies in players trading items to eachother in person, rather than anonymously buying stuff on an auction house. It's a controversial feature that is getting removed pretty soon, which will improve the desire to get good loot from drops alone!

The always online connection. Well, if you have an Internet connection to complain about how Diablo 3 sucks so bad for so long, then why complain about the always online connection? The game was meant to be played with friends or other people. Are you so anti social that you always want to play on your own? Which is the reason to have offline play anyway. But, I don't see why this is a huge problem. I am trying to think long and hard about it... but the only thing I can think of is the always online connection causing game lag and rubberbanding when going solo or playing with others. Which has MOSTLY been fixed, at least for now. As I've said, if you have an online connection very often and rarely get disconnected, then there is no reason to complain about an always online connection. You are able to connect often anyway!

The story. The story in Diablo 3 is CLASSIC Blizzard Entertainment stuff. I do not see how or why it is any different than Diablo 2 or 1. We had cackling villains with loud speeches in THOSE GAMES as well, so what's so bad about the new bad guys? The only reason I hate the story in Diablo 3 is that the villains NEVER GIVE UP, but that's because they are arrogant demons! They do not know defeat! The voice acting is excellent on the main characters as well, and the male Barbarian is just a BADASS overall. So, really, what's the problem?

The visual style. Um, who cares? Moving on!

Anyway, that's all I have to say about Diablo 3.
  70. Jul 31, 2014
    After the newest patch and the closure of the auction-house, Diablo 3 is finally playable! (at least when they don't screw with their servers and you are not allowed to play the game you payed for).

The Drop-Rate is ... now more fluid. I don't know if its really better, there are too much golden Items in my opinions and I had a run where I found 3 legendaries in a simple run. Rewarding? Yes, of course but it lessens the worth of it.

The game itself deserves a good 8.0 or at least a 8.5. Its addicting like you would expect and the interactions between the characters (the dialogues) are often nice to hear. THe rest ius common and masterful created addiction for slay and loot.
    The "new" implemented "Paragon-Level" allows you to set your skill-points freely and the rune-Skill-system is still a very nice Idea for switching and testing a mindblowingly number of Skill-Sets!

The music is... unfortunately very forgettable and boring. It sounds like the Soundtrack to a Michael-Bay-Film without the extreme fine nuances and atmosphere-pumping originality of the Diablo 2-Tracks.
    It is even more a regrettable decision by blizzard to implement this trumped-flat-bore-Music-track (that you will hear in every other "big bugdet"-title nowadays), because ALL people I know turned the music down after max 2 weeks. It's a shame that there is no way to implement the great Soundtracks of Diablo 2 or Warcraft (yes, these fit surprisingly well!).

Like I said: The game itself deserves a nice amount of applause. The rest of it - especially the poor support! deserve a hateful middlefinger!
    Direct Support for Connection-Errors, Suggestions or Mod-Support (I know... what where I thinking?) or other simple questions are IMPOSSIBLE to get!
    the "Support"-Site is a Joke, you are always redirected to the forums where other people already opened similar questions and waiting for help until no help arrives and their Topic gets closed! Critical topics are getting deleted of course. In one word: Censorship.

It's sometimes hilarious to watch how the community gets shat in the face and foced to eat the dump, but rages against the people who don't want to get treated like cattle. So, the community and the company are nearly the worst I have met in my entire lifetime (nearly horrid as the CoD-Kiddies).

I am very glad the game was a gift and it didn't cost that much.

Oh wait... did I mention the overprized DLC?! A DLC that is MORE EXPENSIVE than the main-game?!
    Unbelievable!

And the award to the most hostile and greedy Company goes to... EA.. .. I meant: Blizzard!
    **** YOU **** No more money from me!
  71. Dec 1, 2014
    This game don't look like best H&S ever. But it should be after several years of production, previously experience and budget etc. They probably spend most of that time on think how much money get from that "product". It is all reason of where it lead to. This title is not worth any attention anymore.
  72. Aug 29, 2012
    About my last review of this game, I did not mean to score it 10. I think around 6 or 7 would be more appropriate, it's a good game, it just doesn't live up to the hype of Diablo 2. Look for Torchlight 2.
  73. May 15, 2012
    DRM has to GO Blizzard!!!!! I want to be able to play this game years to come and what if your company decides to shut down the servers? Let me play the game I paid my money for without some BS always online crap. The game itself is awesome so far, but I can't play because your servers are down again. I like the art style of the game and music/sounds, combat is fun too. Unless you removeDRM has to GO Blizzard!!!!! I want to be able to play this game years to come and what if your company decides to shut down the servers? Let me play the game I paid my money for without some BS always online crap. The game itself is awesome so far, but I can't play because your servers are down again. I like the art style of the game and music/sounds, combat is fun too. Unless you remove DRM or at least make option to play offline, I will give your game bad rep and 1 point out of 10. Fix your mess and I will think about changing my mind about score. Thank you!!!! Expand
  74. Jun 5, 2012
    Diablo 3 is addictive and rife with problems. The auction house's commodity section (gems, books, etc) has been down for weeks. Your key mapping resets when you quit the game. Elite enemies on Hell difficulty and above pose a greater threat than Diablo himself, killing you if your ping stutters for even a second. And all the equipment you find in game will either be sold or auctioned off.Diablo 3 is addictive and rife with problems. The auction house's commodity section (gems, books, etc) has been down for weeks. Your key mapping resets when you quit the game. Elite enemies on Hell difficulty and above pose a greater threat than Diablo himself, killing you if your ping stutters for even a second. And all the equipment you find in game will either be sold or auctioned off. The auction house is the only place to get decent gear.

The good parts of the game involve combining unlocked skills in different ways to dramatically alter how you approach combat and getting together with 3 other people to cause absolute chaos on the battlefield. I've played 70+ hours, but I think it's time to take a break until Blizzard balances the game.
  75. Aug 10, 2012
    This game is so utterly bad, that even writing this is more than it deserves. There is nothing fun about it except the first few-dozen hours of initial gameplay, it has no depth, it has no quality script, it has nothing original, it's in fact regression in every aspect. This game would never have sold if it wasn't signed Blizzard and it pains me so many of us buy something like this,This game is so utterly bad, that even writing this is more than it deserves. There is nothing fun about it except the first few-dozen hours of initial gameplay, it has no depth, it has no quality script, it has nothing original, it's in fact regression in every aspect. This game would never have sold if it wasn't signed Blizzard and it pains me so many of us buy something like this, expecting something good from a supposedly good company only to be served STUPIDLY expensive (80+ dollars at some time!!!!) CRAP. I am not going to buy Blizzard game ever again, I'm done with this company. They used to make good games, now it seems they just cash-in on their established brand. Like every **** business these days. Expand
  76. Jun 16, 2012
    This game should be rated M for Mediocre. I really wanted to like it, so I could play co-op with my friends, but the game is awful. The graphics look like something out of the 1990s, and that ruins everything. You don't care about the story or the characters because you can barely see them in the game, you don't see any facial expressions just their same lifeless portraits when they speak.This game should be rated M for Mediocre. I really wanted to like it, so I could play co-op with my friends, but the game is awful. The graphics look like something out of the 1990s, and that ruins everything. You don't care about the story or the characters because you can barely see them in the game, you don't see any facial expressions just their same lifeless portraits when they speak. The voice acting is all right, the warrior character I played actually sounds pretty cool, but that's not enough to save it.

There's not a lot of variety in the locations either, from levels 1 to 9 you see a town, a graveyard, and some dungeons. There's so little detail in your character and the creatures you destroy, that they should have just gone with stick men. If the stick man version had some blood and gore I would have preferred it to this.

The actual gameplay mechanics are weak as well. You don't customize your class at all at creation or after levelling, you're just given new abilities. Fighting is extremely unsatisfying unless you're fighting a boss which is rare, or a large group. You're just constantly clicking your left mouse button, there's no thought or skill required.

And don't forget the constant internet connection requirement, not just of you but of their servers. I waited a couple weeks after getting my trial pass before playing, and when I was finally ready I was greeted with a message saying their servers were down for maintenance for another four hours. But other than that I played from levels 1 to 9 okay, and then uninstalled the game.
  77. Jul 8, 2012
    PROS = Art style is nice. Environments are colorful and varied. Simple to-the-point gameplay. Visual and audio FX are nice. Skill and rune system works for the most part. Good for RPG newcomers who want to jump in and kill things quickly. CONS = Repetitive gameplay. It becomes a grind for better gear after the first playthrough. If you find this fun, then knock yourself out. AlwaysPROS = Art style is nice. Environments are colorful and varied. Simple to-the-point gameplay. Visual and audio FX are nice. Skill and rune system works for the most part. Good for RPG newcomers who want to jump in and kill things quickly. CONS = Repetitive gameplay. It becomes a grind for better gear after the first playthrough. If you find this fun, then knock yourself out. Always on-line requirement. There is no justification for this in a largely single player game. Even with a kickass machine and good internet connection, you are at the complete mercy of Blizzard's servers. Lag spikes. Get used to the sight of your character running around with everything else on the screen frozen, then suddenly dying. The story is abyssmal. Characters are two dimensional, no sense of pacing, predictable plot twists, and lack of any emotional undercurrent. In-game cutscenes are cartoonish and fail to convey any gravitas. Forgettable music and sound. Your character screaming "I require aid", "not enough discipline" and other such nonsense becomes aggravating, especially at higher levels. Lack of character customization. Skills/rune system is extremely limited and funnel you into a few builds per class. Many of the skills are useless. VERDICT = I was on stage 3 of the Diablo boss fight on Hell, doing very well after 12 attempts, and got a server disconnect. I uninstalled the game 15 minutes ago and am officially done. The always-online requirement destroys the core functionality of the game. Losing all your map progress due to server connection problems is UNACCEPTABLE. Again, there is NO REASON for a single player game to have an always-online requirement. If you wanted to hop into a co-op game or do online trading, fine, connect to the servers at that time. But if you're soloing by yourself, there is absolutely no reason. This, and the realization that the game is nothing more than a grind for more powerful (and ultimately meaningless) gear, has led me to quit. There are better and more meaningful games to waste your time on. Expand
  78. Jul 11, 2012
    So you beat the game that should take you maybe 8 hours and you think hmm pretty good story kind of fun combat. You'll beat it again you'll think same old but combat was much better. You'll beat it again same old combat once again better. You'll try miserably to beat it again for what reason you do not know but what you do know is you need to grind ever better gear just so you can beat aSo you beat the game that should take you maybe 8 hours and you think hmm pretty good story kind of fun combat. You'll beat it again you'll think same old but combat was much better. You'll beat it again same old combat once again better. You'll try miserably to beat it again for what reason you do not know but what you do know is you need to grind ever better gear just so you can beat a game you have already beaten 3 times and you begin to wonder what exactly am I doing? I have already experienced all this game has to offer nothing new is coming and yet I am grinding gear to accomplish what? You will stand their puzzled and confused because this does not make sense.
    You will than say to yourself am I missing something? The answer you will later realize either by yourself or by reading reviews is No.
    So do I recommend this game? No.
  79. Aug 22, 2012
    This is a late review, but I think a late game deserves as much. In any event, I wanted to get it right. Diablo 3 is unlike any game Ive played before in that is succeeds so brilliantly in the little things, but fails so catastrophically at its core. The graphics of Diablo 3 are among the best, its a great hybrid between hand-drawn artwork and high-octane animations in great density. KillThis is a late review, but I think a late game deserves as much. In any event, I wanted to get it right. Diablo 3 is unlike any game Ive played before in that is succeeds so brilliantly in the little things, but fails so catastrophically at its core. The graphics of Diablo 3 are among the best, its a great hybrid between hand-drawn artwork and high-octane animations in great density. Kill animations are numerous and always feel satisfying, and the landscapes nail the dark fantasy feel. The cinematic are breath-taking. The audio is also great, with an insane number of audio cues between skills and monsters and events plus a good soundtrack never hurt anyone. The game is long and begs to be replayed numerous times which shows how powerful the character progression is. The story is far too terrible to be a driving force, its characters are all one-dimensional, and plot twists are few and predictable. The only thing I didnt predict was how little closure the ending would give. But everything I just mentioned is just a drop in the bucket, because Diablo 3 fails to be either a game or a work of art. The implementation of the video and audio only exist to enhance the gameplay and the story is virtually non-existent. Theres no deeper meaning hidden anywhere. The problem is that the game aspect of Diablo 3 is also built on a flawed foundation. Diablo 3s gameplay is built entirely on 2 pillars: skills and gear. Theres nothing else to it, and both pillars are undermined by their flaws. On the one hand, the skills in Diablo 3 are amazing - at first. Unlocking new runes and new skills opens worlds of possibilities, and theres nothing more fun than switching builds around trying different playstyles. The problem is that you can only do this for a limited time. As you progress through the game and unlock new skills, you will also move onto harder difficulties. In Diablo 3 you have NO CHOICE over what difficulty, not because the game doesnt allow you to choose, but because the difficulties dont scale to level. If your the kinda gamer who likes a normal difficulty, Youll enjoy nightmare the most. But the problem is that you cant start on nightmare, and you cant end on nightmare. Once you beat nightmare, playing again will never be the same because youve already leveled beyond it. Once you beat a difficulty, going back to it is simply too easy to be any fun, your forced to do the next difficulty because its only one thats remotely challenging and its the only one in which your character can progress, either in level or gear. The new difficulties are scaled to be more difficult however. Once you get to Hell difficulty (the 3rd if you dont know), Diablo 3 gets difficult, and sometimes its unecessarily difficult, and some people like that, others dont. Hell difficulty is when your favorite builds stop working, and your playstyles start to die off one by one because they simply arent good enough. If you go all the way through that, your capped out forever on inferno difficulty, in which nearly every player in the world is limited to only a select few cookie cutter builds. You know the billions of skill and rune combos you used to have so much fun with? Well they might as well be gone because experimentation outside the cookie cutter is dealt with sheer brutality by the later difficulties. Inferno is at many times difficult on an unfair level. But my level 60 cant play anything else because theres no other difficulty where I can progress or have any fun. I can choose between far too easy and far too difficult. This feeds into the next issue, because Diablo 3 is all about the gear. The people who can do inferno can do so because they have the gear that makes it possible. But theres 2 problems with the gear. For one, gear is generated on a heirarchical basis. First it generates the level, then the number of bonuses, then the scale of each bonus, and the odds continue to roll on an exponential level ranging from complete **** to godly. The gear that gets people through inferno isnt the 1 in a 1000 drop, its not even a 1 in 10,000 drop. Its a one in a million drop. But surely theres ways to increase my chances of finding magic items. 2 things, you can use items that boost magic find but at the expense of bonuses that you NEED to survive the areas that drop good items, and then you have to actually get to those areas. To get past Act I inferno, you need AcT II gear. To get past Act II, you need Act III gear. Between the odds of finding the gear you need and not being able to progress because you need gear from an area beyond you, most players are caught in a tragic end-game loop, a loop that destroys the essential criteria of fun. Diablo 3 is a game with a time limit, theres not fun endgame stuff to do like there is in WoW, its built so that your character caps out. Theres no power/difficulty plateau, it keeps getting harder until you cant progress. Farming can only delay the cap, but whats the point? Its not fun. It's bad design. Expand
  80. Aug 24, 2012
    David Brevik is a good and decent man. To even think of how unprofessional and unskilled Jay Wilson talked about him makes me very angry. This game was released broken and no one should waste money on it.
  81. Sep 20, 2012
    This just might be the biggest let down and over hyped game of the decade. I wish i had waited to buy to it and had not gotten digital or i would have returned this months ago. Some may like the simplistic grind till you progress game play and the real money AH, but when you really look at the game and the classes you are left disappointed and just sad that the series could end up like this.,
  82. Nov 21, 2012
    For a game that has been postponed for 10 years Diablo 3 left much to be desired. From a short campaign to the online. Act I - II were decent lengths whilst, Act III and IV seemed to be rushed and left more to be desired. The amount of hot fixing that has been made to the game shouldn't have if Blizzard would have originally listened to the community. The legendary drops were mediocreFor a game that has been postponed for 10 years Diablo 3 left much to be desired. From a short campaign to the online. Act I - II were decent lengths whilst, Act III and IV seemed to be rushed and left more to be desired. The amount of hot fixing that has been made to the game shouldn't have if Blizzard would have originally listened to the community. The legendary drops were mediocre compared to that of rares. Diablo 3 becomes a grinding mess after finishing Hell mode. It seems it was set up to prevent the player from advancing through inferno mode keeping them to do endless runs trying to obtain decent gear. Many players found ways to make this easier and Blizzard either changed or nerfed their methods. It also seems classes were and possible are not balanced. While a hunter could take out enemies in inferno mode with one or two hits, another player using any other class could have much more difficulty on doing so. It made the player base just run around with DH characters instead of actually offering variety. No PvP upon release is another reason why this game has failed and the overpowered DH must be the reason why. The combat system is basic and not as complex as the other Diablos and falls far behind them. The only plus to this game is the RMAH and AH where players can sell items for real money or player money. I have to say after playing Diablo for 3 months I left the game and never looking back. It can continue be the failure mess Blizzard made it to be. Expand
  83. Apr 13, 2013
    Ridiculously terrible and sad game. Biggest disappointment of a decade. The only good thing about this game is nice art in game. The bad is no randomly generated maps, server down time, ping problems, end game is pay to win this list an go on and on. Also, dumbed down game play due to being ported for consoles doesn't do any good to the game either. Even though most people did already IRidiculously terrible and sad game. Biggest disappointment of a decade. The only good thing about this game is nice art in game. The bad is no randomly generated maps, server down time, ping problems, end game is pay to win this list an go on and on. Also, dumbed down game play due to being ported for consoles doesn't do any good to the game either. Even though most people did already I suggest that you do not waste your money on this game. Expand
  84. Jul 25, 2013
    Among all three (four if you count Drakensang) diablo-ish games, Diablo III, supposedly the 'original title', has to place 3rd or 4th overall. You can argue Drakensang is the worst of the four because of its insane pay to win cash grab, but Diablo 3 is not better by a lot.

The only advantage Diablo III has over TL2 and PoE are: 1) Diablo III has better graphics than TL2 2) Diablo

The only advantage Diablo III has over TL2 and PoE are:

1) Diablo III has better graphics than TL2
    2) Diablo III has better physics effect than PoE

and that's it. TL2 and PoE does better in almost, if not all grounds, and they are much cheaper games.
  85. May 16, 2012
    Shocking and disappointing. If you can get over the fact you have to pay above average for the game and that you can buy in game money for real world money there are still major problems. Before I get to that I still want to say that this game is nothing more then an obvious money sink now rather then a true attempt to carry on what may loved about D2. Its my love the last game thatShocking and disappointing. If you can get over the fact you have to pay above average for the game and that you can buy in game money for real world money there are still major problems. Before I get to that I still want to say that this game is nothing more then an obvious money sink now rather then a true attempt to carry on what may loved about D2. Its my love the last game that made me give this a go and put aside the unpleasantness surrounding the game. I should have known better. Things have been stripped apart like customisation and how can you not have an offline mode?! Oh right, need to make money as mentioned. All other game companies while obvious like EA, at least rationalised things like pre-release DLC. What Blizzard have done to Diablo 3 make them look like good guys!!! Wow cant believe I can say that. As for gameplay, well since the servers have collapsed things arnt going great there either. Yet another blunder on a list longer then my arm. To be fair the games started off quite good, but there are so many things missing and already Im seeing fast tracked explanations and associations. I think I may grow to eventually like the game, but I cannot justify Blizzard antics, this has become a circus. Thus my zero. Sorry Blizzard. You become a monster of your own success. Its apparent its about the money and not the game and so you have forever lost a customer going forward Expand
  86. oso
    May 20, 2012
    Most disappointing Game ever. I have to admit expectations were extremely high, maybe couldnt even have been fullfilled. There are failures in every way you look at the game.
    The server management (even expected though) is a joke... i had issues every single day since release. Also entire game elements don't really work properly. The auction house must have been developed by a genius - its bugged, has incredible stupid layout and most annoying - can't be accessed while ingame.

Worst of all is the itemisation. 99% of your loot is crap. You are forced to buy items on the auction house. Without them you simple stand no chance on inferno mode. I suppose thats how Blizzard wants to rob the customers money in near future instead of letting them pay monthly fees. (Yes you pay incredible high taxes on auctions which go directly into their purse)
    Leveling the artisans seems to be also a waste of gold. Prices are ridiculously high and the results of your effort is simply not worth it - better buy on the a.h.

I have to admit the gameplay is relatively good. Playing with friends still is fun - but simply not fun enough. Game difficulty is defined by random enemy attributes which can vary from freeloot to impossible. That factor has a high potential of frustration because from a certain point on your progress dos not depend on your skill anymore - its simply luck and gear. That would be okay - has been with D2 too but not if all (yes ALL) items are randomly created by the game. So you might imagine how frustrating it will be when you find a barbarian set item with stats like intelligence and dexterity. I mean how stupid can it be?

At the begining i loved to play this game (so far as i was able to because of server restrictions) but with every day i beginn to dislike it more and more. I miss so many elements of Diablo 2 i just can't understand how Blizzard failed so greatly. The game is simply not finished after a ridiculously long development time. I don't even mind the outdated graphics (which are really **** outdated).

Blizzard Y U NO LIKE CUSTOMERS??
  87. May 20, 2012
    Never again will I purchase a game from blizzard. My first time buying and my last. Selling a game that negates the entire idea of playing single player. You must be online to play a single player campaign? Just terrible. This is the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a game.
  88. May 21, 2012
    I just finished normal mode and made it into the next playtrue, however I don't feel like playing much more. (got maybe 8 hour gameplay.) Reasons are mixed, but it generally is summed up as the game looking and feeling like it should have been made in 2005 or 2006. It's simply not worth the price. Try getting Magicka or Torchlight II instead, which is both cheaper and in my view better.
  89. Jun 10, 2012
    I have played through the game on normal and now in nightmare and can honestly say it's the biggest waste of time and literally not much fun at all. I could have more fun painting my wall a new colour than with this game. I bet the later difficulties are challenging but seriously it's not fun. Just a load of drilling enemies, and even if you die you can spawn again and take them on again.I have played through the game on normal and now in nightmare and can honestly say it's the biggest waste of time and literally not much fun at all. I could have more fun painting my wall a new colour than with this game. I bet the later difficulties are challenging but seriously it's not fun. Just a load of drilling enemies, and even if you die you can spawn again and take them on again. Okay items makes it interesting but not until you realise there's an auction house for all the money you have so you can just buy amazing items and not die. This game is stupid and I hate it. Expand
  90. Jun 15, 2012
    I totally get being unhappy with the lack of innovation, but this is Blizzard, they don't innovate games so much as they perfect them. This is Diablo II perfected. It's also updated for a modern audience, yeah it's easier on lower difficulties but so is every other game these days. This game is unreal in it's abiility to suck you into it. I hate PC games to the point where this is theI totally get being unhappy with the lack of innovation, but this is Blizzard, they don't innovate games so much as they perfect them. This is Diablo II perfected. It's also updated for a modern audience, yeah it's easier on lower difficulties but so is every other game these days. This game is unreal in it's abiility to suck you into it. I hate PC games to the point where this is the first one I've bought in over a decade, the last being Diablo II and I am loving every second of it. Don't let the crybabies fool you. This game is epic and once all the kinks are worked out within the next few months plan on playing this for years. Say that about other games...oh yeah you can't Expand
  91. Oct 28, 2012
    This was a serious disappointment on many levels, ranging from gameplay complexity, through atmosphere, replayability, player interaction, gear availability, variability, and accessibility, to unacceptable story cheesiness. I know Diablo and D2 were not the deepest out there, but the genuinely horror atmosphere and murky, uncertain background made the actually stand out as original. DIIIThis was a serious disappointment on many levels, ranging from gameplay complexity, through atmosphere, replayability, player interaction, gear availability, variability, and accessibility, to unacceptable story cheesiness. I know Diablo and D2 were not the deepest out there, but the genuinely horror atmosphere and murky, uncertain background made the actually stand out as original. DIII is totally the worst of cookie-cutter evil vs. good you can find, and it is so bad it made me almost choke. The game still offers decently paced dynamic combat and some nice, albeit too colorful, art, but it was not enough for me, certainly not at the given price. Oh, and the always-online requirement, especially given the incessant server trouble, is in my opinion unforgivable. Expand
  92. Feb 27, 2013
    One of the best auction house simulators currently available.
    Though the whole thing is tied to a game, so only 4/10, without the game this simulator would have gotten 10/10 from me.
    The games outdated graphics, idiot-proof gameplay and no depth at all combined with a very very bad and short story sadly drag the simulation down. I wish that there was an auction-house-simulator as good
    One of the best auction house simulators currently available.
    I wish that there was an auction-house-simulator as good as this without an unnecesary game atached to it.
  93. Aug 5, 2013
    I really wanted to love this game, but with my bad internet connection and the always online requirement I couldn't. When I had good signal I had a good time, not as much fun as I had in D2, but fun none the less.
  94. Aug 28, 2017
    very good gameplay and the graphics are realy good, beter than any other hack and slash. enough classes with lot of different skills to try to find the one you like for different situation, and the game isnt repetitive like other games like you just kill 1 single boss for days to get some items. when th game came they had ruined the game that it was too difficult and you had to buy gearvery good gameplay and the graphics are realy good, beter than any other hack and slash. enough classes with lot of different skills to try to find the one you like for different situation, and the game isnt repetitive like other games like you just kill 1 single boss for days to get some items. when th game came they had ruined the game that it was too difficult and you had to buy gear from auction house. good they updated the game now its the bbest hack and slash there is Expand
  95. Mar 14, 2015
    I m a single player gamer. Don't care for co op or other related build&trading stuff so to me this is a great H&S as it is NOW (don't know how it was in 2012. only recently bought the game and expansion)
    I have played first 2 games when they came out. Liked the first for what it was, never give into the hype of second, it was ok H&S even if a little bit too long. (probably because grind is not my thing).
    As a single player experience, Diablo 3 is an improvement as much as I can see it- the voice acting smoothens the story progression, its fun. The art style and dedication to details in this regard is top notch. The music is ok. Overall atmosphere is almost there as previous games.
    Of course there are some cons: limited leveling options, auto level stats, graphic is dated even for 2012.,real zoom and 360 camera rotation should be norm by now for this kind of isometric clickfeast.
    Overall im having fun I like the atmosphere and for people critiquing that its linear, please....the first 2 were go-kill-end quest. Now at least there is a little bit of dialogue to make it more interesting.
  96. May 7, 2016
    Lacks all the features that made diablo 2 great. Hardly any randomization in levels, boring stat system where only one stat per character class is important, no real character builds with skills and so on, dumb boss fights with cutscenes, no nice loot runs and it had a stupid real money auction house at launch as well which is just moneygrubbing.
  97. May 15, 2012
    Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. Ridiculously expensive, boring gameplay and ugly looking. Diablo 3 is utter mess and i cant recommend it to anyone.
  98. May 16, 2012
    How is it that a company that pioneered so much with WoW and SC2 can fail so hard with Diablo? I can understand servers going down with WoW; never before in the history of the industry did people see load like that on day one. With Diablo 3, it's been 8 years since WoW, Blizzard should know stuff like server stability by now. Why the hell are the servers all continually down? I can't evenHow is it that a company that pioneered so much with WoW and SC2 can fail so hard with Diablo? I can understand servers going down with WoW; never before in the history of the industry did people see load like that on day one. With Diablo 3, it's been 8 years since WoW, Blizzard should know stuff like server stability by now. Why the hell are the servers all continually down? I can't even play SINGLE PLAYER because of the DRM requiring me to host my one player games on their servers. To anyone reading, please take a note of all the 'official critics' who have reviewed this game with scores like 90/85 etc; these guys are the ones that Blizzard has paid off. I remember back when Blizzard was a good company and they let people LAN games and play one player locally. I don't want to keep ranting so I will close it off. Don't support Blizzard. Don't buy this game. Expand
  99. May 16, 2012
    very dissapointed blizzard. i was once a very loyal fan of you. but ever since starcraft 2 there has been a missing spark about your games. starcraft 2 had poor voice acting, poor story and the characters seem hollow and empty. diablo 3 on the otherhand felt more like a WoW title with the diablo 3 brand superglued to it. the lack of gothic feel, the cartoony character models, lack ofvery dissapointed blizzard. i was once a very loyal fan of you. but ever since starcraft 2 there has been a missing spark about your games. starcraft 2 had poor voice acting, poor story and the characters seem hollow and empty. diablo 3 on the otherhand felt more like a WoW title with the diablo 3 brand superglued to it. the lack of gothic feel, the cartoony character models, lack of stat point allocation and set unlocks of skills combined with the linear progression is highly dissapointing. i guess this is what you get when blizzard north go packing. Expand
  100. May 17, 2012
    This is the pinnacle of what the traditional Diablo experience could be. Nothing more could be added without significantly changing the experience. If you ask me, though, we got Diablo III in 2004. World of Warcraft was the ultimate evolution of the Diablo formula. The multiplayer dungeon running was put in a 3D perspective on a massive scale and became completely persistent. Sadly, inThis is the pinnacle of what the traditional Diablo experience could be. Nothing more could be added without significantly changing the experience. If you ask me, though, we got Diablo III in 2004. World of Warcraft was the ultimate evolution of the Diablo formula. The multiplayer dungeon running was put in a 3D perspective on a massive scale and became completely persistent. Sadly, in this modern day, a sequel is no more than an expansion with a high-res texture pack in the guise of a sequel. Since it seems the industry is committed to this formula, here is Diablo III, doing the same things it predecessors did but with a few more features and more glitz. In this sense, it is perfect. However, there was a time where this game would have had to be much more than it is. Expand

1. Aug 31, 2012