DiRT Showdown PC

5.4

1. Feb 28, 2013
    Short-Therm fun. With friends really better, but not perfect.
  2. May 30, 2012
    Hmmm scrape all the leftover offal from the recent DIRT games and make a Flatout clone.... how could it possible go wrong? First off, most people hated all the Gymkhana crap so making a game dedicated to it with some demo derby stuff is okay I guess, it'll sell by droves on consoles, but on PC? not a chance. The music is beyond poor...large collection of tired "Bro-Rock" and "Dubstep"Hmmm scrape all the leftover offal from the recent DIRT games and make a Flatout clone.... how could it possible go wrong? First off, most people hated all the Gymkhana crap so making a game dedicated to it with some demo derby stuff is okay I guess, it'll sell by droves on consoles, but on PC? not a chance. The music is beyond poor...large collection of tired "Bro-Rock" and "Dubstep" makes you knock that off within first hour of play. The damage model is actual very minimal considering it's using the DIRT3 EGO engine... stupid beyond belief to reduce physical damage models on a game that should have it even more extreme and visually destructive. The graphics are decent but unspectacular due to over colorfulness and bland texturing, the car models are good but that's about it. So what about the handling? oh jesus christ what did they do? cars all feel like they are made from fibreglass and not metal hulks, wheelspin is terrible and momentum issues give them no feeling of weight. The menu system is utterly crap, taking far to long to chug between options and get into the races, with very laboured movement and often non-skippable waffle. So whats the good points??? well no GFWL this time around, but uses Codemasters new "Racenet" so with that being a new system it may turn out just as bad, or maybe fantastic... will have to suck that and see over time. Overall the game feels very cheap and bolted together like frankenstein's monster of DIRT giblets... it doesnt have enough in it to be considered a full game as many tracks are taken directly out of previous DIRT series games and should have been a £10 DLC for Dirt 3. Expand
  3. May 30, 2012
    This NOT a DIRT game, but since it has "Dirt" in its name I must take that into account when writing this review.

(10/10) GRAPHICS: Very pretty visuals. Car models are great, particle effects are pretty good and damage is also rather well done. All in all this area of the game is nothing to complain about. (7/10) SOUND: Cars sound great and so do all the effects like spinning tires and

(7/10) SOUND: Cars sound great and so do all the effects like spinning tires and so on... Now the SUPER-annoying "announcer" guy is the worst part of all the audio in the game and that is why it loses 3 points (also non-stop explosions and fireworks get old rather quick too). Try listening to "YAY! T-Bonalicious!!!! "BOOOOM!!!" "Awesome over-take DUDE!!!! BAM!!! ......and that happens non-stop in a supposedly driving game.

(3/10) GAMEPLAY:This is the area where this game fails. Now understand that I might have been more lenient if his game was called simply "Showdown", but since there is a "Dirt" in there I , and many others expected a racing game with somewhat realistic handling. This is completely the opposite of what this game delivers. The handing is so terrible for a racing game I don't even know why it has a "Dirt" in the title, simply should have been called "Burnout Showdown". That's how these cars handle, very close to Burnout arcade style handling. So to sum it all up (because I can go on forever) this game is basically a bunch of "derby" style races and "gymkhana-inspired" events with lots of jumps, fireworks and an annoying guy yelling non-stop. This is NOT what a Dirt game is Codemasters.

(5/10) Replayability: I would guess that someone who is into completely arcade style racing with dare I say a "hip" feel to it along with a narrator who should have gotten a job as an inspirational speaker might enjoy this game. All others who expected a real racing game should pass on it and not think twice about it.

TOTAL SCORE 5/10
  4. Oct 31, 2013
    This game is your average demolition derby game. The graphics are great, but the damage of the cars could use improvement. Online mode is sometimes glitchy, but otherwise OK. The features in this game will first make you addicted in this game, but after, lets say 10hrs of game-play, you might just lose interest. Another average demolition game.
  5. Aug 10, 2013
    The game doesn't really gives much satisfaction for completing a race. The game is much more arcade than previous versions of Dirt. The game has added a boost feature which has been used in various other games before. For a game out of the Dirt franchise I wasn't expecting this. Although it has some fun moments the main reason for buying a Dirt game is for the race experience. And that isThe game doesn't really gives much satisfaction for completing a race. The game is much more arcade than previous versions of Dirt. The game has added a boost feature which has been used in various other games before. For a game out of the Dirt franchise I wasn't expecting this. Although it has some fun moments the main reason for buying a Dirt game is for the race experience. And that is what this game really lacks in, providing a decent racing experience. Expand
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    First of all we can't campare this game to FlatOut (in my opinion FlatOut 2 is 10/10). But Dirt Showdown is also very funny. Graphics and the gameplay are good, with cool cars and nice challenges.
  7. Oct 26, 2013
    It's definitely a deviation from the DIRT series, which used to honor Colin McRae pretty well. Hopefully they return to a regular rally based game. There's no manual transmission option, no speedometer, just a health and refilling turbo bar in a cheesy looking tire image. The damage mechanics aren't too bad but get repetitive after a while. The cars don't feel like they have any actualIt's definitely a deviation from the DIRT series, which used to honor Colin McRae pretty well. Hopefully they return to a regular rally based game. There's no manual transmission option, no speedometer, just a health and refilling turbo bar in a cheesy looking tire image. The damage mechanics aren't too bad but get repetitive after a while. The cars don't feel like they have any actual variations besides models. Races themselves, especially demolition, feel like they're a crap shoot for points, the gymkhana inspired mode is perhaps the best. Overall it's quite passable. Collapse

1. Jul 28, 2012
    Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson once wrote in his blog that he honestly doesn't remember anything about a car that was sent to him for reviewing – it was that unremarkable. I had a similar moment with DiRT Showdown – I forgot to review it upon release.
  2. PC Gamer
    Jul 12, 2012
    Dirt Showdown provides thrills while it lasts, but afterwards you're left wanting the deeper experience of its parents. [Sept 2012, p.60]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Jul 3, 2012
    We haven't had this much fun since Destruction Derby on the PS1. [July 2012, p.58]