8.3

1. Nov 21, 2012
    I haven't played Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 isn't out yet, but for now, best game of the year in my opinion. Original and interesting storyline, amazingly diverse and engaging gameplay and very good graphics. Overall, a great and complex game that every gamer should play at least once.
  2. Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome, fantastic, great , immersive etc..... Arkane is a little French studio, but they give us a AAA game, an amazing Blockbuster with vintage and mature gameplay. It's an old school game ??
    One of the best game I play this year : a GOTY ?!??
    I derserve it.......
  3. Oct 13, 2012
    Dishonored is surprisingly good. Actually, surprisingly fantastic. Leading up to its release I had written off Dishonored as a wannabe Bioshock with Half-Life 2 elements; a game aping far more profound and successful games with the selling point being some inane gimmick which does close to nothing to altering gameplay in any meaningful way. But what I got was an incredibly fleshed out world coupled with some of the most creative emergent gameplay I have seen in a long time. Most of the time when games offer you "choices that affect the outcome", it usually comes down to a handful of moments where you choose dialogue option A or B. With Dishonored, it's all about what you actually do, in every moment in the game. Wanted posters with your face only show up if you get caught, the stories different guards tell about your actions differ according to what you actually do. And the freedom the game gives you goes beyond the Gears of War style "choose the right or left path". In any given assassination mission there are countless ways of going about your goal, and you can go the whole game without killing anyone or kill everyone you see. The powers the game gives you are an absolute blast as well. As far as the world goes, characters are fleshed out and the plot, while simple in a way, is not so much a tale of the good guys versus the evil guys, but more a tale of the seductive nature of power. Issues are minor and I am shocked at how well stealth and combat complement each other. Get this game. Expand
  4. Apr 15, 2013
    The best single player first person experience I had since Half Life 1. Yes, I think it's even better than Half Life 2! It's a masterpiece. It took me 2 hours to finish the first mission I just wandered around, feasting my eyes on freaking best art direction ever. And the game-play is amazing too! It's not a shooter like so many other average games, it gives the player plenty of equally attractive choices.

One of the best games I've ever played.
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    Right away I knew this game was going to be good, it is a great mix of Thief, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed, but you can also go all guns blazing, completely your choice, defiantly worth a look.
  6. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is a great adventure. From start to finish, the game packs an incredible amount of action and stealth that can perfectly be mixed up to a point where you swap from one to another nicely with no interference.

The game puts you in the place of a betrayed guardian who is entitled to work out his reputation back by helping the rebellion to rescue the empress daughter, and to take back the throne. Most (if not all) of the missions encompass a set of goals, which ultimately take you to the assassination of a key character. At the end, you're an assassin, and killing is a key gameplay part of this game.

Though this could be considered as repetitive at first, the game's design and plot makes it pretty interesting and worth to look out, specially considering all the ways you have at your disposal to achieve your goal, and Bethesda has proven that they are very skilled at providing a good dose of variety for this.

Although the story is somewhat empty at first, evolving along the main character is a rewarding experience, just as much as the silent kills. Using the special powers is a very entertaining feat, and the AI is well-developed, responsive and interactive at any given time.

In resume, I have found that Dishonored is a great experience for the fans of Splinter Cell, Thief, Deus Ex and the Matrix, and it packs enough action to get FPS fans into its arena, and enough creativity to entertain while never disappointing. If you have yet to play it, go and grab a copy. You won't regret it.
  7. Oct 12, 2012
    This game is .... ALL that I ever hoped from a game. That is the reason I pre ordered it with no hesiation.
    Now I've played it and it's just what they told us it'll be and what I expected from it. I love stealth games and Deus Ex is one of my favourites. This game has more ways to avoid enemies than that one and that's a big +. The story is just awesome ( Yes I read every text, poem,
    journal that i find )

There's so much I can say about it but you should try it yourself. You won't regret it. This game is a masterpiece.
  8. Oct 12, 2012
    Simply amazing! I watched and read the reviews and was doubtful of the praise Dishonored is receiving. I bought the game and if anything, the scores fail to do it justice. The level design, controls, music, atmosphere, combat, stealth, puzzles are all perfect. I kid you not, they are perfect. I bought this, X COM and F1 2012 this week and haven't touched the other two. This game is polished and not a technical issue in sight (for me). I took a quick break to write this review and going straight back now. People are saying it's a short game, but I prefer quality over quantity any day. I'm yet to complete Dishonoured but know I'll start it all over again to find missed items and improve my score. I have no idea how/why people are scoring this so negatively. This has been (easily) the best game I've played all year. Expand
  9. Oct 9, 2012
    Brilliant game.
    I have played about 2 hours and all I can say is... wow. The gameplay is so well made, the story is exciting but easy to understand, the voice actors are brilliant and the music is brilliant.

The sound engineering is perhaps abit below average and the main character name is silly (in Swedish korv means sausage and his name Corvo sounds really silly) but the rest is just
    top notch. Best FPS since Half-Life 2.. perhaps even best FPS since ever. Arkane Studios have really made an amazing game doing all the right design decisions. Expand
  10. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is soooo fantastic! It's sverything Deux Ex HR wanted to be and never achieved: original setting (a 100% believable steampunk universe), immaculate mission design with multiple solutions (sneak or kill, blow it all up or turn into a mouse - up to you!), great characters and a fluid storyline. Oh, and the game controls are super intuitive and become second nature after 1-2 hours. Above all, it's FUN. Whereas so many other games want you to fail and retry ad nauseam, Dishonored wants you to succeed. If you make good use of all your gadgets & abilities and pay attention to the environment plus the clues scattered around you can complete a mission without a single reload (on normal difficulty setting). For me, this is the holy grail of PC gaming. To be rewarded, to get this sense of accomplishment and not be punished & frustrated by stupid and unfair game design. Buy it now, you won't regret it! Expand
  11. Jan 18, 2014
    [DISHONORED SteamPC Score10] One of the best games I have ever played. Play as a Master Assassin and Bodyguard framed for the death of the Queen. Get thrown into the dungeon, escape, take revenge. Play with Stealth or Action, Level up and choose Skills for Magic and others. Released Oct 2012 and played 9 months later. Add to cart with all the DLC. Enjoy this game smoothie….

[DRM] Steam
    only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title, nor Uplay, nor Origin. I did not have to create an alternative account.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD600

[NowPlaying] BrokenAge [MyFavorites] [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born 1964 I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  12. Oct 9, 2012
    This is without a doubt one amazing game. It is filled with something gamers don't see these days: great game-play. The reason we play video games. On top of the endless possibilities you have to complete your assignments the world is amazing. It is filled to the brim with little details(which i will not spoil for you) that create a cohesive story without showing it down the player's throat. All these elements create a deep and rewarding experience that just never stops giving. I will be playing and replaying this game for years to come. P.S. The combat is great and the minimal system requirements are total BS. I am running this game perfectly with a 5 year old Core 2 Duo(2.1 Ghz) and gtx 460, on max details at 1080p. Buy this game. It's an instant classic. Expand
  13. Aug 8, 2013
    An amazing game. Stealth, action and narrative are all top notch here, Having played through the base game I literally can't understand some of these low score reviews they make no sense to me. The combat is fluid and with the various magic powers at your disposal, fun and varied. The stealth works intuitively and is one of the better examples of the genre. The world is amazing and deeply intriguing, if the game has a flaw it is compared to how interesting the world is some of the characters seem shallow and that at some points near the end the games limited funding shows (but just barely)

I usually reserve a 10 for games I feel people are unfairly bashing en-mass. Not so this time, a true gem of a game definitely worth experiencing.
  14. Oct 9, 2012
    great game. runs at 60 fps no issues, contrels really well, art style is fantastic. deus ex meets bioschock with a little of half life in it. best combo ever made. cant recommend it enough, if you are a pc gamer this is the game to get along xcom. two gret games that will keep you busy.
  15. Oct 19, 2012
    I am IN LOVE with this game. Best one i played in a long time and the first 10/10 for as long as i can remember. It seems to be very diverse opinions bout it, and maybe its one of those you either love or hate. I simply love every inch of it. Its like a combination of fables atmosphere,assasins creeds sneaking, hitmans variation and Halflife 2´s surroundings. the gameplay is perfect, its fun all the time, really varied where you can go your own way pretty much everywhere. there is this great atmosphere where i really feel im there. Theres i so much to discover that i would just dont care about in any other game, but here i can spend hours on going to small secret rooms and passages cause they all feel so alive and intresting. The controls are supersmooth and i almost get irritated cause there is nothing to be irritated on. loading times are super quick, the graphics are fabulous on many places. the sound is really perfect. Or, yeah there is one thing that could be better, there is almost no music, which actually suits the game good, but i would prefer a good soundtrack. Expand
  16. Oct 10, 2012
    Incredible. And I thought Borderlands 2 was GOTY. WOW. I'm blown away, it's a perfect mix of Bioshock, Deus EX and Assassins Creed, or it's a one of a kind masterpiece. Incredible. Just finished my second playthrough and it just keeps surprising you with all the choices you can make. Can't wait for round 3.
  17. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a specific kind of game for a specific kind of gamer, so I'll keep it short and say that it delivers on the immersive sim formula of games like Deus Ex and Thief in spades. Thankfully, while the game is true to those titles in spirit, it very much has its own personality and identity. It oozes style. You can play stealthily, violently, or anywhere in between, and all approaches feel thought-out and legitimate. Unlike Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which layed out several predetermined routes for the player, Dishonored focuses on building a place for you to explore, and therefore feels much more natural and convincing as an environment. Not to mention the fact that Dunwall is incredibly rich and interesting, both in architecture and lore. The PC version of Dishonored is very, very good. The game runs like silky butter (very few bugs to boot) and there are tons and tons of UI options. And the load times are shockingly almost nonexistent! I would have liked more UI options and I think the FOV slider should go up to 90 rather than 85, but these are tiny gripes.

While I'm on the subject of gripes, the plot is pretty standard fare. Which is not a knock on the writing as a whole -- the dialogue you hear and the books you find strewn throughout the city are very well done.

Anyway, this is easily the best game of its kind since the original Deus Ex, and a strong contender for Game of the Year.
  18. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't been able to box this game into a specific genre, or similar game. I really love the environment and art design. You spend half of the time looking around you, and the other half playing the game. I'm really looking forward to see where the story goes.
  19. Mar 2, 2013
    Probably best game i have been playing last time. This awesome piece of software is no way near Bioshock like some people say. It feels more like mix of Dark Messsiah and Thief with its own great atmosphere and creative level design. Cartoon-like graphics isn't brilliant but definitely stylish. Simple story isn't about revenge cold served only. Noticeable moral choices make gameplay even more interesting. Summary: there is no perfect game and Dishonored was made as good as could be made. Developers efforts are visible and should be appreciated. Expand
  20. Oct 14, 2012
    One of the best games I've played in years. It has beautiful graphics, atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife and mechanics that really makes you feel powerful and in charge of the situation. You are a hunter. Story is built in layers and it is up to the player how deep he wants to uncover it, unfortunately that means that players who like to be pointed into a direction with a big red sign "important thing here" will miss most of it, and end up finishing the game in a short time. This is an adult game, with serious themes and it will scratch that special Thief spot in your heart that you didn't feel for a while. It is riddled with thief references ... the sound of coins when you pick them up, the mumbling of the guards on watch duty. The city itself has that weighty, heavy feeling leaning on your shoulders. Art style is beautiful semi-realistic, with slightly over-exaggerated features like limbs and necks. It works perfectly. My advice is just let yourself go in this game, turn off the quest markers and learn about the human misery in the beautiful, fallen Dunwall. Let yourself be immersed and play cat and mouse with your goals and you will have one of the best gaming experiences in years. Expand
  21. Jan 21, 2014
    Based in a fictional setting of Dunwall, Dishonored tells us an interesting story of political corruption, betrayal, oppression and resistance, and of course lots and lots of death, whether it’s at the hands of the plague or the never-ending conflict that goes on. The immersive setting and nice story-telling are then assisted with gameplay that gives the player a chance to tackle every challenge in their own way.

What I greatly enjoyed about Dishonored is the diversity in which it allows you to approach its challenges. It’s a similar style of gameplay as the Deus Ex games. The player can go in with stealth, or they can go guns blazing, or maybe to try some diplomacy, or even to mix and match all of those. Even the primary targets can be handled in ways other than violence. That’s right – it is possible to complete the game without killing any major antagonist.

Depending on how the player handles each mission, they will acquire either high chaos or low chaos. Being merciful, using non-lethal ways of taking down regular enemies, and not triggering alarms all lead to low chaos, which in turn leads to a good ending. The opposite leads to high chaos and hence a bad ending. This greatly adds to the replayability of the game and makes it interesting to complete it at least twice.

Apart from standard weapons and equipment used in each mission, the player also learns supernatural powers throughout the gameplay. They can do so by acquiring special runes which are found in many areas of the game. Many of these powers are very interesting and provide excellent opportunities to try out new and creative ways of getting past a challenge at hand. Perhaps the most commonly used power is Blink, which allows the player to quickly teleport short distances from one cover to another, which is extremely useful for stealthy gameplay. There are several great powers to use, but the ones that stood out the most to me were Possession, which allows the protagonist to possess rats and other small animals and to get through small crawlspaces this way, Dark Vision, which allows the player to see nearby enemies through walls, and Bend Time, with which the player can temporarily slow, and with an upgrade completely stop, the time.

There are few minor things to criticise about Dishonored, like the lack of ways to take out the enemies non-lethally (sleep darts and upclose seem like the only ways), or how sometimes enemy AI and behaviour can be a bit unpredictable. The ending also felt a bit rushed, but once I got to the end of the game, I realised that it’s not so much the ending that’s important in games like these, but the journey itself. All those are just small drawbacks and were nothing compared to the unforgettable experience the game as a whole provided to me. A single playthrough may go for only 15-20 hours, but each minute of that playthrough keeps you fully immersed in the game’s rich and somewhat gloomy steampunk setting, not to mention its great replay value.
  22. Oct 9, 2012
    I haven't quite completed the game yet, but after 15 hours in (i'm quite close to the end, on normal difficulty with all ui elements disabled) I have more or less come to a conclusion about the game.

It's **** fantastic. Very well may be the best money I spent all year on games.

The stealth is engaging, the combat is visceral, the story is interesting, the visuals (i.e. environment
    design, art direction) are phenomenal -- probably the best I've seen since say, Bioshock. I wish I could give it a 10, but there's minor issues here and there that keep it from being perfect -- but it's definitely above a 9. 9.5 maybe.

Wow!
  23. Jan 13, 2014
    Fantastic game. Real gem.

+story, atmosphere, design (of everything from costumes to levels),gameplay, world changes and reacts to your actions (reminds me of first Deus Ex).

-sometimes too easy with all the powers player have
  24. Jan 5, 2013
    Great game, stealth actions like hiding under tables - ingenious. Graphic is beautiful, sound - very nice, moving - very smooth, zero any, tiny technical problems, and what's most important, game-play is enjoyable, story is fine and time to finish is very good - about 16-20 hours for me. And there is a tempting to play one more time, but another style, because game see your actions and show really different endings.
    Game is really worth any penny.
  25. Dec 28, 2012
    This game is a real gem in a world full of recycled material and plots. It takes stealth play and ambush tactics to a new level. It's linear in objective but the options for getting to point B are vast and make for great replay. It's like each board is a giant puzzle. The play time is about 10 to 15 hours for the campaign. I've gone through it twice choosing a different way to do things each time and played a few of the missions several times just for kicks. I noticed each time I played that different options arose for upgrading too which made for a unique experience as well. It's like going through it once was like "being an assassin 101" after you realize your potential then the fun really begins. The A.I. is really good too. So watch out and don't be seen or heard they will find you in a heartbeat. Expand
  26. Oct 18, 2012
    I am a person that almost never finishes a game. All games lose my interest halfway into them. I've even lost interest in Skyrim but I do go back and play once in a while Other games that have kept my interest are Mass Effect. Anyway, I loved this game and it kept my interest throughout. I finished it today. Awesome game!
  27. Oct 10, 2012
    Ok, this is it! The spiritual successor of one of the most underrated but for their battle system and body awarness known game "Dark Messiah" of the "arkane studios". And it's a hell of a game. It's mindblowing, brutal and thrilling 1st person action. If you are a man, you love that game. If you are a console player and scream for a 3rd person view: JUST RID OFF!
  28. Jan 2, 2013
    Probably one of the best games in a long while. Beautifully crafted in all areas. Visually stunning, fantastic audio, great level design and excellent gameplay mechanics. This game is what gaming should be all about: a good story, well told and the player able to influence the world based on actions. The game truely gives the player the choice on how to get through. It's not just about stealth or combat, but just as much about reading the environment, planning the best path through it and dealing with various scenarios. Patience often pays off, but is not necessary. You can play this game like hitman, or you can play it like call of duty - it's up to you. Must have game. Expand
  29. Aug 3, 2013
    I'm a bit late in playing this title, but I felt compelled to write this review, as I have just completed Dishonored. Dishonored puts you in the role of Corvo, royal protector of the Empress of a fictional kingdom. The Empress is murdered early into the story and you are blamed for her death, and sent to be executed. You must escape from execution, and find the real killers of the Empress and ensure that her daughter becomes the new Empress. As the royal protector, you are versed in various forms of weaponry including swords, guns, bombs, and sabotage equipment. Additionally, you gain supernatural powers such as teleporting, x-ray vision, and various other very cool powers that help you traverse the world. Your enemies include plague victims that have gone mad, as well as royal soldiers, and a few creatures. There's tesla coils that you must either disable or sabotage so that they kill your enemies, and other like contraptions designed to keep order. Dishonored uses the Unreal Engine, so it is very beautiful to look at, and very stable. The art style is sort of a cartoony Victorian steampunk style, and works nicely with the game engine. Sound and music are nice, and the voice work is top notch. This game feels a lot like Dark Messiah Might and Magic, which incidentally was made by the same people, and although that game was not very well received due to bugs and technical problems it had right out of the gate. I feel like this game is the spiritual successor to Dark Messiah Might and Magic, but with all of the flaws worked out. I would definitely recommend this game for anyone who likes stealth action or first person shooters. Expand
  30. Oct 9, 2012
    Best game I have played since Skyrim! Has a bioshock feel to the artstyle and atmosphere, and the controls and gameplay are amazing! I finished the game and started it again almost directly afterwards and am having even more fun the second playthrough!

We can draw comparisons with other titles all day, but everything is based on something. Dishonored remains a unique gem in a beautiful, yet chaotic world, with flawless gameplay. [December 2012]
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Dishonored rarely challenges the players, but it doesn't take them for fools, either, so that's an achievement compared to other games in the genre. Just don't expect strokes of genius like the Shalebridge Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows.
    Dishonored injects new life into stealth actions and their sophisticated worlds. Awesome work in every detail. [Nov 2012]