Divine Divinity PC

8.5

1. StuartH.
    Jun 26, 2006
    Great role playing game with so much to do and to many things too discover, your level just keeps growing in every thing you do.
  2. Tottel
    Oct 9, 2009
    A game that makes me completely nostalgic. The graphics still don't look completely outdated to me. The textures are warm, dark and suiting. Possibly the best music I have ever heard in a videogame. And although I didn't play this game as much for it's main storyline, I had a fantastic time exploring every bit of the map. The details in it are immense, and the game often meA game that makes me completely nostalgic. The graphics still don't look completely outdated to me. The textures are warm, dark and suiting. Possibly the best music I have ever heard in a videogame. And although I didn't play this game as much for it's main storyline, I had a fantastic time exploring every bit of the map. The details in it are immense, and the game often me made me smile or laugh even in the most harsh dungeons because of it's excellent humour.

All in all, if you call yourself a roleplayer; you must have tried this game at least once in your life.
    Possibly, you'll find yourself lost after crossing the first bridge. Take my advice: Don't give up then. . Play longer and you won't think of stopping anymore.
  3. BinaryDisaster
    Oct 14, 2002
    DD is great! I haven't played a game this open ended since the classic Ultima games. I have about 20 hours into it so far and I find that.... The graphics are nice, and the details are amazing on characters and scenes. The music is very fitting and never gets tiring. I like the constant forward momentum of this game; if you aren't busy trying to keep up with all the quests, you DD is great! I haven't played a game this open ended since the classic Ultima games. I have about 20 hours into it so far and I find that.... The graphics are nice, and the details are amazing on characters and scenes. The music is very fitting and never gets tiring. I like the constant forward momentum of this game; if you aren't busy trying to keep up with all the quests, you are busy planning your character's growth. There is always plenty to do, sometimes too much. Thankfully there is a decent quest log that can be filtered down a bit so you don't get too bogged down. The story seems to be building nicely as well, with lots of background thrown in to make it seem that much more immersive. It could be a shame that this great game may get overlooked by many gamers because of its rather quiet release here in the U.S., but who knows.....It is definitely one of the best rpg's I played in a long while that isn't a Black Isle or Blizzard product. Expand
    Jul 5, 2007
    While it doesn't contribute much to storyline, the gameplay more than makes up for it.
  5. Aug 9, 2012
    This game is simply amazing and timeless. I played this a good few years ago closer to when it came out and picked it up recently when it came out on Steam due to nostalgia (and it's damn cheap!), half expecting it to be crap because of age - like playing one of the first Pokemon games again. On the contrary, I loved every minute of it just like when I first played it through. I don'tThis game is simply amazing and timeless. I played this a good few years ago closer to when it came out and picked it up recently when it came out on Steam due to nostalgia (and it's damn cheap!), half expecting it to be crap because of age - like playing one of the first Pokemon games again. On the contrary, I loved every minute of it just like when I first played it through. I don't usually play games for the story but I found myself reading every line of dialogue and doing every quest. Unlike most games, the side quests are all very-well developed story-wise. Combat can be as complicated and fast paced as you want it to be as your character is pretty much completely customisable. You can pick any spell or skill no matter what 'class' you pick so you can be the hybrid stealthy mage-ninja you always wanted to be. The map is huge and exploration is extremely rewarding. There's always a polymorphed boar or a magic wishing well just around the corner to keep you on your toes. There are tonnes of secrets as well, secret items and quests, treasure maps and hidden areas, allowing this game to cater for casuals and those traditional OCD-completionists. The game falters somewhat in difficultly, to be honest. Generic monsters tend to be hacked down in a few hits but you can easily turn the wrong corner or get to the end of the dungeon only to be completely annhilated by a certain mob. The game isn't so much about strategy, but building the best character possible to deal as much damage while staying alive as possible. The game feels a bit like what Skyrim should have been, if you take graphics out of the equation. Expand
  6. Jul 10, 2012
    One of the greatest 2D RPGs ever released! Still love playing it. Only costs 5$ on Steam, worth every penny twice!
    Both music and the graphic style are stunning, the story is really good and it just makes me feel nostalgic.
  7. Mar 18, 2011
    One of the problems with being a small studio is that you don't get the breaks the big boys get when it comes to quality. If this had been a Bioware title in would have been rated in the mid 90s instead of the 80s. The fact of the matter is that this is a great game. People nit pick about the title, or call it a Diablo clone, or other such rot because they just need to find somethingOne of the problems with being a small studio is that you don't get the breaks the big boys get when it comes to quality. If this had been a Bioware title in would have been rated in the mid 90s instead of the 80s. The fact of the matter is that this is a great game. People nit pick about the title, or call it a Diablo clone, or other such rot because they just need to find something bad to hide the fact that a small unknown group of developers kicked their ass. Make no mistake: this is one of the best RPGs ever done. It wouldn't make my top five list but it would make my top ten list.

What I like about this game so much is, expect for the ending, all the combat has a purpose. One of my complaints is that RPGs too often use combat as a filler or a time sink without it advancing the story in any way. Some people might say that as a result the story is light in this game. That's true if you compare it to something like Planescape. But the fact of the matter is that the game play in DD gives heft to the story in a way that it doesn't in a game like Gothic. For me, this game manages to weave the story and the combat into each other in a way that seems light and effortless but is in fact not. This game also has some of the best music ever written for a video game. Don't expect the characterization you get from Buldar's Gate or the depth of Planscape. But this is a solid, well designed and well executed RPG that shouldn't be overlooked as much as it has been.
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    Incredibly immersive, with a stunning sound track, great 2D graphics, non-linear, a varied skill tree, great humour and dialogue. For some reason this game did hack'n'slash perfectly. Some say it's a beautiful Diablo clone. If the weapon types and some skills were more balanced, a few areas were more fleshed out and a certain stun bug was removed this game would of been astounding. IIncredibly immersive, with a stunning sound track, great 2D graphics, non-linear, a varied skill tree, great humour and dialogue. For some reason this game did hack'n'slash perfectly. Some say it's a beautiful Diablo clone. If the weapon types and some skills were more balanced, a few areas were more fleshed out and a certain stun bug was removed this game would of been astounding. I always wanted to play more. There is so little to criticize really. Expand
  9. Oct 5, 2012
    Don't expect something like Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, etc. and you'll love this game. There's an interesting world to explore that is very open-ended (for those that like this sort of thing). The quests are great, and while the characters aren't the most fleshed out, the rest of the world balances this out. If you can overlook the quirky combat and can come to love the graphics,Don't expect something like Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, etc. and you'll love this game. There's an interesting world to explore that is very open-ended (for those that like this sort of thing). The quests are great, and while the characters aren't the most fleshed out, the rest of the world balances this out. If you can overlook the quirky combat and can come to love the graphics, then you'll find this open-world hack and slash a great game. Expand
  10. Jun 23, 2014
    Game was pretty great. Just not my kind of game, though. Evidently. Don't take this review too seriously, though. Many others like it in a way that I just can't appreciate.
  11. Jul 20, 2012
    Sehr Gutes Gelungenes Rollenspiel ! :)
  12. Jan 31, 2014
    One of the best RPG I have ever played, it's a real gem that every RPG lover MUST play.
    In my opinion it's a 10/10, you have to consider this is a 12 years old game (it came out in 2002) so I'm basing my judgement on that, but if you want to compare it to a more recent game, I guess we all agree if I say it's a 2D Skyrim.
    The main quest is quite short if you just rush it to the end, but
    The main quest is quite short if you just rush it to the end, but you can't, the game sidetracks you from everything you are doing with sidequests, exploration and fights. Don't be mislead by my playing time, it says 16 hrs but I played a lot in offline mode and it doesn't show, I think it's 70hrs more or less and I havent finished all sidequests.

***Graphics - 9/10 Considering the game age I'd say. Your character's equipment is pretty detailed and so is the environment, you almost never have the feeling of visiting a place already seen, not a single room is like the other, the only exception is for cave dungeons, these have always the same dark rock tiles and walls, and it gets boring after 15 mins, also it's so dark that you have trouble finding levers to open the doors.

***Sound - 10/10 The music is just perfect, calm and sweet when you're travelling the forest but dark and deep when you're facing demons in the depths of the earth. Voice acting reminds me of theatre plays and maybe someone could dislike it, however it's really good. I had just one problem with sound, which I couldn't get rid of, it was like a scratch sound that played randomly at times, hopefully not too often, I guess it's some conflict due to the game being played on modern machines, but still, nothing to worry about.

***Story - 10/10 Main quests and sidequests are pretty awesome, there is everything, from monster slaying to the only-talking quests. Some of them are very VERY long and sometimes you find out that completing a quest helps you in another one. There is even room for humor which is quite nice, and this is everywhere in the game, from dialogue answers to stats description, try reading then when values are low. Just once or twice I found myself baffled by the deus ex machina that comes at the right moment to save your skin without a serious explanation.

***Gameplay & mechanics - 10/10 (unless you break it on purpose) Apart from the chaos of the menus, which is scary at the beginning, everything is just fine, you can build your character the way you like, pick up one of the classes (rogue, mage, warrior) and do whatever you want. The only problem is that there are 2 skill that are game breaking, one is frost and the other one is trap: steel scorpion. The first one makes you godlike by freezing your enemies for a lot of time and the latter one lets you summon minions that inflict an amount of damage that is simply unbelievable, if you also have the ability to charm them so that the scorpions follow you, then you can sit down and let them kill everything. So, don't do that and enjoy the game without these 2 skills, you have many others.

***Replayable -YES. First playthrough I built a rougue-warrior, but I'm curious to see what a mage looks like. So this is a plus in the overall score.

*** BONUS *** Steam version allows you to modify the resolution, otherwise you end up losing your eyes.
  13. Mar 3, 2014
    One of the greatest isometric RPGs ever released. Divine Divinity has a great storyline, fantastic atmosphere, fun side quests, hilarious dialogues, well crafted NPC's, addictive combat system, huge world to explore, well-aged graphics, amazing music and voice-acting, freedom to make certain decisions and a plenty of dungeons and hidden areas to keep you busy for a long time... plus itOne of the greatest isometric RPGs ever released. Divine Divinity has a great storyline, fantastic atmosphere, fun side quests, hilarious dialogues, well crafted NPC's, addictive combat system, huge world to explore, well-aged graphics, amazing music and voice-acting, freedom to make certain decisions and a plenty of dungeons and hidden areas to keep you busy for a long time... plus it never become repetitive. What are you waiting for? Do yourself a favour and play it NOW. Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2014
    There is soo many good things to say about this game, i have played and completed this over 5 times and will still be going back for more, its a mix of diablo 2 and Ultima... and blends these together and adds so much more and does it soo much better than the for mentioned games. I sometimes forget this game is 12 years old.
    if you play this game and give it a chance you will love it, it
    if you play this game and give it a chance you will love it, it has amazing quests (none of the usual go and get things), the best music score ive ever heard, and played along side an unforgettable world full of hours and hours of exploration. You can interact with everything. not just a pretty window background you can lift up and identify just about everything. There are hundreds of weapons many special weapons, that can be bought , found and sold or used. And many skills to master for warrior, survivor and mage. Every skill is useful in Divine Divinity and you can shape your character any way you want (every skill can be learned by every character type). if you haven't already been persuaded to buy this, Then heres the icing on the cake. The game is in the top 100 all time best games. Its cheap to buy and on steam. go out and buy it. you'll love it!
  15. Jan 30, 2015
    One of the best RPG ever !!! The story is very great, graphism are (was) very good !
    I played this game many times, always with the same pleasure.
    A Mmust have !!!
  16. GrimReality
    Nov 30, 2002
    The best non-3D game that I have ever played.
  17. Aug 26, 2017
    This is one of the best rpg for all time. Do not compare this game with Diablo, She has her own unique charm. Quite an interesting oldschool gameplay. This is my first rpg game

Above all, it's plain fun to play, to develop your character and find ever-better weapons and armor, to face the foe around the next corner.
  2. There is definitely too much of a good thing here—by the time I was ready to put this game behind me and move on to something else, I still had to spend another full day playing just to reach the "real" end.
  3. Game Informer
    There's a comfortable familiarity to its medieval setting, and the story is refreshingly non-linear - if you want it to be. [Dec 2002, p.148]