7.2

1. Aug 6, 2013
    This is not an RTS. Or rather, it's as much an RTS as Skyrim is a game about crafting weapons. It's a game that's hard to judge, because it's three very different things, an RPG, a TBS, and an RTS, all wrapped up with a card game on top and a garnish of action gameplay.

The amazing thing is that in all of it, what comes out is a fantastic game. The graphics are beautiful, the
    characters are well-realized, and the disparate parts feel like separate parts of a whole experience. Yes, the strategy is a little shallow--but that's because it's not the whole game. The game as a whole is about being, fittingly, a dragon commander. And it's great. Expand
  2. Aug 6, 2013
    I am usually not a big fan of RTS games, but this one just instantly attracted me. After playing the beta and now release im sold. This is an amazing unique game.
    It has elements of tactical RTS gameplay that mostly rely on finding the right unit counters and using the right abilities (If you think its about zerging.. lower the gamespeed please..). aside from that you havethe first-person
    dragon fighting which is just awesom the amount of roles yo can adjust your dragon and units to is great and realy makes it as if you are constantly thinking every single skill you choose to have big impact ad then you have the political system/cardsystem cards are a great addition and allow for small buffs/units for 1 battle or 1 turn. The political system is quite interesting.. choices impact moneyincome, happiness, attunement to different races, cardgain and what cards you gain etc. etc.

In my opinion this game is a bit of everything.. BUT it is simply great at everything. Its a jack of all trades that mastered all :D
  3. Aug 6, 2013
    This is a very unique game blending RTS, TBS, and the ability to play a dragon on the battle this is quite a different step from the previous Divinity game.
  4. Aug 6, 2013
    I have already played around 70 hours (~60 in the beta) and all I can say is that I love the game. I found myself laughing at all the jokes and humour at least a dozen times and was left begging for more. the single player part of the game is quite short but replaying it is worth it even though the final outcome is always the same simply to listen to every possible reactions you'll get from the NPCs. The main story line is mediocre at best, the writing is superb and the voice acting amazing. the RTS part is really fun especially against friends and the same can be said about the multiplayer campaigns. oh and did I mention that you are a dragon that wears a FREAKING JETPACK? ^

I can only recommend this game to anyone who likes to listen to tons of humour and destroy every friendship they have
  5. Aug 8, 2013
    The RTS is nice and deep regardless of the rubbish some people claim, it literally takes quite some micro and fantastic cross unit and dragon skill combinations to destroy your enemy. However the dragon is limited at the start of the battles to ensure a steady buildup. This was an awesome experience, the game is an absolute charm and reflects a lot of love for the seperate genres. Buy this game if you are a gamer looking for a fresh game and above all an experience covering more than one specific genre. Expand
  6. Aug 9, 2013
    This is the one we've been waiting for! I've wanted a game like this since I was 14 and it's finally here. I've never written a review before but this game is just so good it has to be known. It's been tried so many times over the years, to bring rpgs and rts' together and it's never been done well (in my opinion).

Dragon Commander does this AND adds Grand Strategy and a bit of
    political simulation into the mix as well! It's absolutely terrific. The political parts could have a bit more depth and I'm not a fan of the cards, but everything else is done so well. It's a pure joy to fly over your armies and watch them obliterate the enemy. It's got land, sea and air and everything is pulled off so well. It's strategic, it's funny, it's interesting and very very addictive.

I haven't been much of a gamer lately, nothing has caught my interest for a while the night I started playing was the first time in years that I stayed up late for a game and the morning after was the first morning in even longer when I thought about a game as soon as I woke up.

GET THIS!
  7. Aug 10, 2013
    What a great game! Featuring beautiful graphics and a variety of gameplay elements like RPG, RTS, etc., Dragon Commander is all things to all people. I don't know who couldn't enjoy this neat mishmash of genres. Highly recommended. If you dislike Dragon Commander, you dislike fun, and do you want to dislike fun?
  8. Aug 11, 2013
    Divinity Dragon Commander is a very interesting and unique blend of RTS, TBS and RPG gameplay. While the RTS aspect isn't as deep and complex as other games it offers loads of fun (which is the entire point of a game).
    Dragon Commander stands out from the crowd with its excellent writing and charming characters. Who wouldn't want to befriend a bunch of maniacal religious undead zealots or
    racist lizard people?
    The soundtrack, as always from Larian Studios games, is well done and fits the game perfectly, Kirill Pokrovsky does a wonderful job yet again.
    Graphically the game looks good, animations are fluid and facial animations are superb.
  9. Aug 9, 2013
    8.7/10
    Its very enjoyable game a great mix of RTS and RPG. I really like political choices u have to make and how they affect gameplay. Im not big fan of RTS but in this game im enjoying it very much. The dragon form in RTS battles is very clever invention and handy in dire situations. Story is predictable but still good enough to keep u interested.
  10. Aug 11, 2013
    Dragon Commander is a hard beast to give a note to. To evaluate it fairly, one really needs to look at the whole picture. Each of the parts of the game (RTS, Strategic, RPG, Card Game etc) are pretty alright on their own, but unlike many other games, the sum of them is what make this product outstanding.

Rarely will you see a game where the sum of its parts ends up being far more than
    the individual parts. Yet in this case, Larian managed to do such a magic trick. Dragon Commander is a unique, yet fun and addictive game if you give it a try. Expand
  11. Aug 8, 2013
    Good game. A lot of meaningful units, skills, system maps, three dragons, you can use different combat tactics, combine the skills and the map depending on the situation, as a strategy game a great and highly addictive. I would like to have more variety, but the fact that there will be enough for me personally many hours playing.
  12. Aug 13, 2013
    Phenomenal game. Combines a number of successful features from other games and blends it all into something unique and all it's own.

It takes a number of cues from Starcraft 2, in particular exploring your ship and interacting with crew, upgrading your units and researching upgrades and then throws in certain political elements by giving you a council of advisors and 6 races to appease.
    Between missions those advisors often bring political issues to your attention and let you choose whether to approve or disapprove them, which will have ramifications on your standing with certain races/factions. The issues brought to your attention are reflective of modern quandaries, such as legalising marijuana, gay marriage or conscription.

It's worth noting too that all of the characters are delightfully voice acted and extremely likeable/hateable. There's no sincere generic fantasy tropes or cheesy voice acting here. There *are* fantasy tropes but they're used mainly for humour, as well as to highlight the political issues (the elves are ultra liberals and a conservative's nightmare, the Dwarves ultra conservative, and the Undead religious fundamentalists).

The campaign itself is functional enough, very reminiscent of Battle For Middle Earth 2's custom campaigns, whereby you upgrade provinces and buy units and invade enemy lands over a series of turns (build/buy and attack/defend). The battles themselves too are functional, with the units and combat bringing to mind Rise of Legends and the first Battle For Middle Earth respectively, with free building slot points scattered over the map that must be contested.

In all, a unique game with nothing else quite like it out there, and oozes charm.
  13. Aug 16, 2013
    Really awesome innovative game! Fresh in the gaming genre! Mix RPG, RTS, board game element and Third Person Action game wow! Have your ship where you interact with story characters, political decision that influence the game and mores (purchase troops, skills and mores...). Go to the world map, and build yours troops/buildings on the map like the board game "Risk". When a battle occur, go fight yourself with your dragon in RTS mode and call your dragon in-game and do some third person action with your dragon and skills or let your generals do the fight for you. Love the game! Expand
  14. Aug 14, 2013
    Yes, the game is pretty confusing at the start, and you'll get the rear pelvic area of your body whipped. It's hard to put this game in some category, since the RTS/TBS/RPG elements are so inter-weaved. This most likely is not a RTS vor hardcore RTS players.
  15. Aug 23, 2013
    I like to think of game genres and their differences as cookbook recipes. You could consider a RPG to be the more Gourmet side of cuisine. Whereas a Common FPS could be considered the fast food with little creativity. Now, in the world of cooking; you have fusion. Fusion is the idea of taking two different types of cuisines and "fusing" them together into a new hybridized style.

So,
    thinking about the food world; lets look at it in parallel with the game world!

Larian decided to, instead of following a common cookbook recipe; to make their own home made creation. With previous knowledge they gained from previous Divinity games they produced, plus the industry standards: They have quickly mixed together a new genre hybrid that actually isn't a botched meal.

Divinity: Dragon Commander is the latest "Fusion" recipe, incorporating RPG elements with Turn-based Grand Strategy as well as Real Time Strategy. Above all of this, they even garnished the game with Third person control of a Dragon! You, the protagonist; get to play as this dragon in the campaign as well as online.

Instead of Larian following the cookie cutter fashion that seems to have hoarded a majority of gamers; they bent away with risk to create something, and did so very well done and executed. The artistic blend with the storyline and gameplay are just fantastic.

Gameplay: 10/10 (Seamless integration of RTS, Grand Strategy, and RPG.)

Story: 9/10 (Enriched with plenty of dialogue, has a backbone of reason for the events that have lead up to the game as well. Story progresses based off some player decisions as well as worldly events.)

Art: 10/10 (Rivellon has jumped from a medieval/renaissance fantasy into a steampunk fantasy. The game amplifies a heavily-industrialized and diverse culture between the distinct races and of course: Steam power. Very creative!)

Music: 10/10 (The romantic-era piano music merged with fantasy music as well as some more modern approaches to sound; have really blended into what this game really is about.)

Graphics: 10/10 (How Larian managed to make the gameplay and story amazing, while making the game also look very good? It is beyond my understanding. Perhaps this is proof that not all games trade off between looks and heart?)

Conclusion: I love this game.

1. Sep 25, 2013
    Inventive, funny and a whole lot of fun. An excellent way to break up the over-serious grind of most strategy titles. [Oct 2013, p.82]
    Complicated, difficult, different. A true strategy game for the gamers with classical tastes, who have time and will. It's also a pleasant blast from the past, when a genre template was not an option. [Issue#233]
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    A weird but interesting hybrid that mixes RTS, RPG, board game and trading card game mechanics in one delightful experience. Unfortunately, even if the mix works, the singular gameplay components aren’t deep enough and the game itself is mined by many minor issues.