8.7

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1955 Ratings

1. Jul 1, 2014
    A worthy successor to the hidden gems that are Divine Divinity and Divinity 2. The world is massive and open with lots of reactivity. It's filled with interesting places to see and things to do. You can do just about anything you want, in which order you want. No level scaling here, thankfully.

The writing is typical of Larian with lots of smart jokes. The tactical turn based combat is much more interesting than today's hack'n slash-rpg's. The elemental magic is a great system, for example cast a lightning spell towards a bunch of enemies standing in a water puddle has a chance of electrifying the puddle and stunning all the enemies. If you cast an ice-spell, you can freeze them solid etc.

Coop-mode is also a welcome addition, which works great. The character creation and leveling up is deep, and allows for a customized character without being limited by class. You can have a mage wielding a greatsword, or a rogue with expertice in healing. Almost any object in the world can be lifted, used, combined and crafted. You can make potions, weapons, armour and other objects from just about anything. Wear a bucket on your head like a helmet? Sure!

If you have never tried the previous Divinity-games, it's easy to write this of as a Diablo-clone based on the looks. However, this is so much better and deeper. Imagine Ultima 7 combined with Baldurs Gate 2, with 2014-technology and graphics/sound. If you like rpg's you NEED this game.
  2. Jul 2, 2014
    It's fantastic so far so I'm glad I backed the game when it was still on Kick starter. The game rewards creative players and encourage exploration which is very uncommon in modern games. Its definitely one of the best RPG in this decade taking inspiration from games like Ultima and in my opinion holds up against the classics.
  3. Jun 30, 2014
    I've been playing this game for the past month, and I just can't believe how much fun I am having. I am a bit surprised that there are some people giving this game negative reviews though, but I guess if you really don't like turn based games then you will not like this game. My favorite part of the game is the ability to approach quests in different ways. For example my last play throughI've been playing this game for the past month, and I just can't believe how much fun I am having. I am a bit surprised that there are some people giving this game negative reviews though, but I guess if you really don't like turn based games then you will not like this game. My favorite part of the game is the ability to approach quests in different ways. For example my last play through in the beta I decided to kill everyone that I came across to see if I could still complete the quests and sure enough i was able to complete every quest I came across even though I murdered the quest giver, and anyone associated with the quest. Great game, can't wait to get home from work to play the official release. Expand
  4. Jul 2, 2014
    Overall, I'm thoroughly pleased with the game. It's a no-nonsense classic CRPG that actually has the cojones to challenge its players. Combat is turn-based and requires strategy (it might not quite be XCOM, but it's closer to that than hack and slash-RPGs like Diablo), quests require you to pay attention and think for yourself, and if you do something really stupid, chances are you'reOverall, I'm thoroughly pleased with the game. It's a no-nonsense classic CRPG that actually has the cojones to challenge its players. Combat is turn-based and requires strategy (it might not quite be XCOM, but it's closer to that than hack and slash-RPGs like Diablo), quests require you to pay attention and think for yourself, and if you do something really stupid, chances are you're punished with swift death. All positive things as far as I'm concerned. The writing is solid, sound quality is decent, graphics are a bit cartoony but fit the game.

There are some technical glitches that can occasionally be annoying, like some background chatter that gets a bit repetitive, and some items/characters can be hard to target (or easy to misclick). But that's minor nuisances at best.

In the end, I think anyone who grew up playing classic CRPGs like Baldur's Gate 2, or Fallout 1, will probably also enjoy this game. Hopefully it will also find new audiences.
  5. Jun 30, 2014
    Suprisingly great !! Old school RPG fans will like it. The game has a good story with plenty of alternative endings plenty of character plus there is CO-OP support which is rare for a RPG game !!! Gameplay reminds a lot of classic games like Baldurs Gate, Ultima, and other classic PC RPG titles from the late 1990 and early 2000. Only negative for me is that there are no speeches duringSuprisingly great !! Old school RPG fans will like it. The game has a good story with plenty of alternative endings plenty of character plus there is CO-OP support which is rare for a RPG game !!! Gameplay reminds a lot of classic games like Baldurs Gate, Ultima, and other classic PC RPG titles from the late 1990 and early 2000. Only negative for me is that there are no speeches during conversations and that the turn-based combats are a bit boring but for a old school RPG refresh these kind of lacking material are acceptable Expand
  6. Jun 30, 2014
    Must say that I'm really happy that a game of this kind is made again. And not just another consolized shooter or arpg with handhelding and big quest arrows.
    Larian had a great kickstarter, and the communication with the community was/is outstanding!

This game has so many elements with crafting, spells, skills etc that it can be played in a varity of ways.
  7. Jul 1, 2014
    I personally feel like this is one of the greatest RPG's to be released in easily the last decade. It captures the magic of old school RPG's while still bringing its own personality. From the moment you start the game, you are presented with a sense of freedom so rarely found in modern RPG's. The combat is tactical, fluid, and rewarding. The character development is outstanding. The dialogI personally feel like this is one of the greatest RPG's to be released in easily the last decade. It captures the magic of old school RPG's while still bringing its own personality. From the moment you start the game, you are presented with a sense of freedom so rarely found in modern RPG's. The combat is tactical, fluid, and rewarding. The character development is outstanding. The dialog is witty and entertaining. The amount of content is absolutely staggering. Most importantly, this game is just a blast to play. I can't wait to spend countless hours exploring this world. I absolute recommend this game to people who enjoyed the Infinity Engine games, Ultima series, or even the original Divine Divinity. Expand
  8. Jul 1, 2014
    I've been playing this game non-stop since release. I'm only taking a break to write this review, go to sleep, and then I'm going back to the game again. It's just that addictive, especially if you enjoy isometric RPGs with a modern look. The character creation and development is detailed but accessible and not at all frustrating (thanks also to the slick user interface), the dialogue isI've been playing this game non-stop since release. I'm only taking a break to write this review, go to sleep, and then I'm going back to the game again. It's just that addictive, especially if you enjoy isometric RPGs with a modern look. The character creation and development is detailed but accessible and not at all frustrating (thanks also to the slick user interface), the dialogue is superb (humorous and snarky), and the amount of things you can do with the environment is just crazy! Teleporting, talking to animals, setting things on fire and putting out the fire with a rain spell, freezing a surface or making it slippery, cooking food from ingredients, stacking things on top of each other or rearranging them in other ways, etc. - it's all here! That alone can take you hours, not to mention the interesting quests and character interaction. The amount and variety of loot is staggering, too. The game is very easy to get into, as it thankfully has a lot of modern conveniences like the item highlight or the global chat. I'm positive that Larian has created a new RPG classic, and I hope it becomes successful enough for them to do a sequel, too. Expand
  9. Jul 1, 2014
    Best RPG since Baldur's gate. DOS takes you back to the root of RPG, pen-and-paper is back at its very best with turn based combat, rich character development that covers RPG elements, a rich world with flesh and colour, a screenplay written by novelists who enjoyed what they did, with the best music ever, with freedom to play the game with nearly infinite playstyles. And so many more, butBest RPG since Baldur's gate. DOS takes you back to the root of RPG, pen-and-paper is back at its very best with turn based combat, rich character development that covers RPG elements, a rich world with flesh and colour, a screenplay written by novelists who enjoyed what they did, with the best music ever, with freedom to play the game with nearly infinite playstyles. And so many more, but alas I must go back and play now... It's time to dream again... Expand
  10. Jul 1, 2014
    Great game, the old school is the best, for sure one of the best RPGs made in the last decade, the best turn-based combat ever . This game gives me the same sort of feeling I got when I first played Baldur's Gate I and II. I love it
  11. Jul 1, 2014
    I was thinking, i grew up and thats why games doesnt give me same satisfaction anymore, i was so wrong, this game will be in top 10 RPG of all time...
  12. Jun 30, 2014
    So far, this has to be the best game I have played coming out of crowd funding. Mind you I'm sure there are other great ones but this is the best I have experienced myself.
  13. Jun 30, 2014
    Larian took a huge chance with Divinity: Original Sin. Not only is it very much "old school" in design, having challenging turn-based combat, complex character systems and multitude of solutions to problems, it is also the most ambitious co-op cRPG ever. Oh, and did I mention it comes with a complete development kit for making your own games?

Story-wise it is definitely a Larian game.

Story-wise it is definitely a Larian game. Quirky humor and general lightheartedness give a very different experience than the traditional RPG epics do. While some may be left longing for a more serious and thought-provoking writing, most will still find the story and it's intrigue immersive enough, especially with the world constantly reacting to your actions.

While Divinity: Original Sin is certainly not a game for everyone, I have high hopes that the gorgeous audiovisual trappings and accessible modern UI elements and helper systems will introduce a new generation of gamers to a more complex kind of games.

For the few of us who grew up with Ultimas, this game is that rare 10/10 "game of the decade". No doubt about it.
  14. Jun 30, 2014
    A welcome return to form for the both Larian studios and the RPG genre in general. One of the best RPGs made in the last decade, if not all time. Gone is the focus on 'cinematic' (read: linear and hackneyed) content and terrible 'action' (read: dumbed down and tedious) combat that plague so many modern RPGs, and instead we have a return to open-ended fantasy adventuring with tactical, turnA welcome return to form for the both Larian studios and the RPG genre in general. One of the best RPGs made in the last decade, if not all time. Gone is the focus on 'cinematic' (read: linear and hackneyed) content and terrible 'action' (read: dumbed down and tedious) combat that plague so many modern RPGs, and instead we have a return to open-ended fantasy adventuring with tactical, turn based battles. Hopefully the quality of this game will be mirrored by other high-profile kickstarter RPGs (Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenara, etc.) and will usher in a new RPG golden age. Expand
  15. Jul 1, 2014
    If you find reading difficult and prefer to be read to.
    If you have ever said "I think all day at work, I don't want to think in a game!"
    If you can't figure things out without being told. If you define strategic play based on how fast you spam a key. If questing for you means following a bouncing ball to a location flashing "QUEST OBJECTIVE HERE!" If you define a game simply as
    If you find reading difficult and prefer to be read to.
    If you can't figure things out without being told.
    If you define strategic play based on how fast you spam a key.
    If you define a game simply as "Entertainment" or "Fun"
    If you consider thinking, exploring, figuring things out, learning from failure, applying different approaches as being "elitist".

Then this game may not be for you. Chances are you will be on the steam forums complaining.

If however you answered no to those and you are someone who has longed for the cRPGs of old. Well... Happy Birthday to you!
  16. Jul 2, 2014
    Best game i have ever played. Everyone will must play in Divinity: Original Sin. It's like modern oldschool: Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum and others.
  17. Jul 2, 2014
    Registred only to rate this masterpiece and express my feelings.

I've been busy with gaming for almost 25 years now and i can safely say that this is the first time in a long while i felt the way i did since back in late 90 's.

Brilliant depth of story, level of design, soundtrack and turn based combat at its best. Just perfect.

Support Larian, they truly deserve it. 10/10
  18. Jun 30, 2014
    This game is more than homage to RPG's of yesteryear, it is an evolution. The amount of passion Larian has put into the game is evident in almost every element - from the gameplay and UI to the incredible soundtrack.

Playing the full release here and as a RPG fan I could not be happier. Exceeded all expectations!
  19. Jul 2, 2014
    very very good, a must for all roleplayers, at first a bit slow, but give it a bit of time and.you will discover a lot and very fun surprises... i am enjoing it a lot.
  20. Jul 2, 2014
    Having played 12 hours of their latest Divinity: Original Sin I must say that this is one of the most enthralling and well-made games I've met during last couple of years. Yes, that's the game for nostalgic fans of isometric RPGs from the early 2000s, but it's beautiful, it's polished, optimized and absolutely gorgeous.

While it is not "perfect" in my eyes - it's more of the Baldur's

While it is not "perfect" in my eyes - it's more of the Baldur's Gate reincarnation than that of the Planescape, but it features tons of monsters, quests, dialogues, jokes and battles, with very few bugs and stunning music. So for me it's 10 out of 10, a big classic-feeling fantasy role-playing game where you can be witch, rogue, ranger, mage, warrior, you pursue one big main quest while fulfilling dozens of others.

Attention to details is a strong selling point here. Cats that give you quests. Manipulating the weather to actually make spells like Rain useful. Tactic options in battles. A bit of humor here and there. Exploration. Loot. Crafting, oh, need to try it more.

I've played it in beta, I will go and play it now, I am going to replay it after I finish and I totally recommend it to all RPG fans. I've been following Larian games since the very first Divinity and I am very happy to see their evolution and growth.
  21. Jul 1, 2014
    What surprises me is how long it took a game developer to figure out how to equal or improve Baldur's Gate in the year 2014.

The answer is finally here. Here we have a game with a big world and MANY ways to interact with it. A game where it is FUN to evolve your character. A game where it is FUN to play around, not running a scripted treadmill, but exploring the environments, and approaching encounters as a way to tell your own story!

The good news is that Larian have put most of their effort in to refining the engine and the underlying rule set. In the pipeline there will be a creation kit which will allow the player base to create adventures, the best thing to happen in RPG gaming since Neverwinter Nights.

Larian are putting RPG gaming back on track. Let's not forget that Oblivion is also hard at work on Pillars of Eternity, and Bioware is looking to redeem itself with a (finally) worthy Dragon Age Game. Looks like 2014 maybe the year of the great RPG restoration! praise the RPG gods!

orctowngrot
  22. Jun 30, 2014
    This is an amazing game. The Beta is over and I've been in on it for quite a while. I just got my hands on the final game, but I've played through it in various stages of completion.

This is the most I've been impressed by this type of game in years. It's gives me the same sort of feeling I got when I first played Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter. It's got more depth than either of those games and the sheer scope of it is amazing. This is a huge game and is as close to a pen and paper RPG as I've ever played in a video game.

The level of detail is great, the dialogue options are varied and you've got two characters that you create yourself that can converse with each other if you wish. The levels and objects are extremely interactive, and there are a ton of spells and skills.

I seriously haven't been impressed by this type of RPG since the 90's. That's saying a lot as this is probably the biggest leap forward in this type of game since then. Well worth the money and time to play and has a lot of replay value.

On top of all that, there's an editor that allows players to create their own adventures. I've only poked at it a little and haven't gotten into it yet, but it's an impressive addition to an already great game. There will be tons of replayability for this game.

This is a serious contender for the best RPG of 2014 without a doubt.

That said, it's not Skyrim. I'm not going to say it's better or worse than Skyrim, just that it's different. It's also not Diablo despite the similar perspective. It's turn based combat with an overhead view and party management. Combat is similar to the recent X-com games in some ways. That's not for everyone. It's also a bit more involved than the Final Fantasy menu based turn based combat. However, if you're into old school top down RPGs like the top down D&D games or ShadowRun, you should not miss this game. It hits every note right and is well worth playing.

RPG fans should not miss this game. It's one of the best of it's type ever made.
  23. Jun 30, 2014
    From the second the game starts there is this feeling of adventure and wanderlust, something that we used to have in older RPGs, that weren't agenda driven social justice platforms, when people outside of gaming couldn't influence artists into doing this their way. When stories were genuine and experience were crafted with love and care.
    This applies to much more than the writing, and
    This applies to much more than the writing, and Original Sin has some damn good writing, it's turn based gameplay is easy to get into, but offers a lot of intricacies and interactions to learn and exploit, while providing a challenge to players of all skill levels.
    The environmental interactions and innovative co-op play put much bigger games to shame. Truly it's a wonder that a small European developer like Larian were able to make a game that dwarfs major productions from EA and the like. It just goes to show you, when you LOVE doing what you do, and don't just do it to turn a profit and support some stupid agenda, it will shine through in your work.

Original Sin is a must for any cRPG fan and considering it's modern look and easy to pick up nature, I am certain that it will bring a lot of newcomers to the genre.

My only gripe with it is that due to budget management or whatever, Larian weren't able to add NPC reactions to the day/night cycle and weather system, but it's such a small thing in such a massive, uniquely enjoyable game that it doesn't matter.

Truly an adventure worth experiencing.
  24. Jul 2, 2014
    I was caught totally unprepared by this game. I did not expect such a masterpiece. It is really addictive and fun adventure, unlike any other that I've played within the past 10 years.

Bravo, Larian!
  25. EMG
    Mar 22, 2014
    So far a highly enjoyable if a bit buggy RPG. What is available of the game world at the moment seems vast and detailed, especially the dialogue options. Even when moving items nearby NPC's will question your actions making the whole experience feel more real than some. Many of the bugs however actually add to the games humour and the stealth is definitely the funniest thing. 10/10
  26. Jun 30, 2014
    Larian has managed to pull off an incredibly ambitious idea with a nearly perfect result. Original Sin a game that is engaging, challenging, fun, and lovingly crafted, with tons of detail and world reactivity.

The seamless co-op makes the experience even more fun, as your partner will be able to challenge many of your decisions through separate dialogues - or distract a shopkeeper with idle chat while you might rob the store behind his back. Toss in a really easy to use editor with a huge range of options and scripting capability and you might just end up with hundreds of additional user modules like those made for Neverwinter Nights.

The story is fun and interesting and serves as an excellent excuse to set the party loose upon the huge areas in search of treasure, secrets, side-quests, exploration and puzzle-solving. The writing is often light-hearted but certainly knows how to pull off dramatic moments - a pleasant change from loads of the recent "grimdark" stories.

The game's combat mechanics are just as great - it's possible to spill oil on the ground to make ground slippery, set it on fire, put the fire out with water, turn the water into an electrocuting deathtrap and then boil out the water with a fireball to turn it into a wall of fog - or freeze it to have everything entering it slip and fall. Melee and bow-based combat is also full of various options, and the classless system permits mixing up skills in any way you'll like. There's even a skill that lets you talk to animals. And a spell that lets you throw people off a cliff.

The game is also very pleasing graphically, everything is distinct, stylized and detailed - and the music is fantastic. Connecting for co-op is easy and quick enough, though the initial loading time may be a little lengthy.

Overall, having followed Original Sin's development closely, I can't say it's a "pleasant surprise" - it's the solid dream game that the developers have envisioned, worked on, collected feedback on, and finally delivered. Fantastic and inspirational work.
  27. Jul 1, 2014
    I would recommend this game to any RPG fan out there. It is fresh and with great graphics, yet it has that "old school" feel about it. This is a tough game to beat, with open world and many side quests, crafting and silly things to do.
    The combat is great, the manipulation and interaction with the environment is super fun too. The only thing I do not like is that when I click on a party member, the inventory screen does not change to that character. Everything else is perfect.
    Buy this game and support this developer. 10/10
  28. Jul 3, 2014
    3 DAYS AFTER OFFICIAL RELEASE

Age 40 and played to death all the CRPG/RPG classics. This is as close to Planescape I've ever seen. A few hours in and regret missing Larian's Kickstarter. I'd have loved to have played the A/B versions and watch this classic evolve. A damn fine game for anyone who loves to stretch their brain and click and test and die and laugh just like back in the
    3 DAYS AFTER OFFICIAL RELEASE

A damn fine game for anyone who loves to stretch their brain and click and test and die and laugh just like back in the day.
    It's a game that that demands you think and forces you to try various battle approaches as you progress due to it's balancing. The battles count. It's not an XP hunt.

After a wonderfully hand drawn intro sequence we're shown an Old School 2D isometric view with up to date visuals and given a brief explanation of you and your companions arrival at a beach. Then, with voice acting and dialogue from 90% of characters being worthy of any past or present classic HBO series, both characters you have created (Yup, you you create two characters of your choice and control them both, or play the whole game in Co-Op with a friend), you argue and lie and attack and trick and each other as well as NPC's.....if you want them to. My two characters currently hate each other and bicker all the time and always start a fight. Typical Battlemages.

That's freedom of creation. But you can also go solo with MASSIVE stat boosts if you want, but I'll do that on the second run me thinks. As the game will clock in around 100 hours, that's 200 hours of constant gameplay for £30, or 15p per hour.

There's also a magnificent story telling opportunity for millions of budding scriptwriters to create their own quests via the extensive Mod Toolkit included to add to the already interesting and challenging storyline quests.
    I'll be doing one based on a story from years back if we're able to destroy parts of the environment throughout. We shall see.....

Not everyone will get this, but Quicksave is king again.
    That moment when the enemy appear on screen and you Quicksave...crap, forgot to check that new unidentified thing...then you're half way through a battle aaaaaaaand your dead. F8. Right.... It's a huge one use fire bomb. Cool......I'll attack THAT Demon first then!
    I really miss this it in games. And talking to chickens.

I hope the modding community blow our socks off with their tweaks, stories and Dungeons full of the Shiny Shiny to keep us enjoying this exceptional roll based CRPG. An instant Classic.
    Best £30 I've spent on a game in a long time.
  29. Jul 2, 2014
    Finally a game worth registering to give it a score yes they deserve a 10 and yes you should buy it if you like old school RPG this is the one for you and I hope they make more.

The time detail and attention that has gone into this game is amazing it puts to shame the pretty but sadly mass produced rpgs we have be fed the last few years.
  30. Jul 1, 2014
    This Game is realy the savior of the classic cRPG´s. If you enjoyed games like Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate or Fallout you WILL love this game. It has all the virtues of this RPG classics combined with SUPERB graphics, voice acting (not 100% of course), modern handing and a great UI. Even ppl that didnt know tactical and deep RPG´s should give it a try!
  31. Jul 1, 2014
    As a a lover of all things old-school RPG, this game hits all the right notes. No one is making games like this anymore, and Larian has managed to make a really great one. I see a lot of comparisons to Baldur's Gate, but the game has more Ultima VII in its DNA. Everything in the game is interact-able -- everything. The player is free to devise their own solutions to obstacles insteadAs a a lover of all things old-school RPG, this game hits all the right notes. No one is making games like this anymore, and Larian has managed to make a really great one. I see a lot of comparisons to Baldur's Gate, but the game has more Ultima VII in its DNA. Everything in the game is interact-able -- everything. The player is free to devise their own solutions to obstacles instead of blindly following a quest arrow. It almost reminds me of Deus Ex in that regard. Really, I can't recommend this game enough to fans of the genre (people looking for another Diablo-clone will be disappointed though).. Expand
  32. Jun 30, 2014
    Really nice and fresh air to crippled theme of new RPGs. Nice dialogues, charming environment and great story. If you liked Baldur's Gate or others old school games, you will love this masterpiece too.
  33. Jun 30, 2014
    Wow im so amazed ! Don't really no what too say think of all the best RPGs of the last decade its like Boulders-gate, Neverwinter and Ultima7 all in one this could be the best RPG I"ve ever played. You can do whatever you want in it you will not be held by the hand. Im so glad I took the risk and bout it. THANK YOU, Larian Studios
  34. Jul 2, 2014
    Was a kickstarter backer and very glad I was. The amount of depth in this game is amazing. All the different skills, the dialogue, the crazy amount of quests. And it's not just linear, or one way to do quests. A lot of quests have different ways to complete them, different outcomes. The combat is beautiful, all the skills are so varied and amazing to use. The customization is intense. YouWas a kickstarter backer and very glad I was. The amount of depth in this game is amazing. All the different skills, the dialogue, the crazy amount of quests. And it's not just linear, or one way to do quests. A lot of quests have different ways to complete them, different outcomes. The combat is beautiful, all the skills are so varied and amazing to use. The customization is intense. You can just pick and choose whatever you want. Want to start out with a fire mage/ranger? Sure! Witchcraft/Rogue/Water mage? Why not? The only thing I have to say negative is it is a bit glitchy and buggy, and the way to get skills is a bit annoying, buying the skillbooks from merchants. Also wish the 2 other companions were in the game currently, but there are tons of henchmen of all different classes. This is a party game mostly, you control at least 2-4 members. Highly recommended, you will be totally immersed and won't have your hand held at all! Expand
  35. Jul 1, 2014
    Its indeed the best rpg published since at least a decade , we had a few good things like grimrock blackguard, shadowrun , and MMX , but this one beats them all.
    Think a game like ultima 7 done today with modern graphics and humor and much better tactical combat.Theres an incredible attention to details, and although they ran out of time and couldnt a ddd everything they wanted to , its very polished and full of surprises.
    Cant go wrong with this one seriously, if they arent getting 90+ all over the place its because its a small studio who cant bribe like AAA publishers.
  36. Apr 13, 2014
    D:OS is, while still in beta as of right now, shaping up to be one of Larian's best and - most importantly - memorable RPGs.

The world of Cyseal is large and diverse, built on top of years and years of Divinity lore. We get to combine items (sometimes in the most hilarious ways), actually role-play PCs (for instance, the dialog let's you take on different perspectives), wield elements and make them work together (water + lightning = pain ^^)... The list goes on.

Tactical combat is a nice addition, one that I craved for quite some time now. Worth mentioning is the music, composed by veteran musician and metalhead for life (XD), Kirill Pokrovsky. The man has experience and it shows! Also, throughout the game you'll be accompanied by Larian's own trademark humor, which more often than not hits all the right notes.

The one thing Larian needs to do now is to work on the bugs - but that's why betas exist. Recent feedback from Larian shows they are putting a lot of effort into dealing with problems and I have no doubts they will succeed.

All in all, I heartily recommend buying and playing D:OS!

P.S.: user Joebreeze690 commented in his review that "[i]f you enjoyed Dragon Age, you'll be as disappointed as I was." I don't get this sentence. What has my enjoyment of Dragon Age to do with how I enjoy D:OS? You could as well write "If you enjoyed Metroid: Fusion..." or any other game. Fact is that Dragon Age, while still being an RPG, falls into a very different basket than D:OS. If we're really going to compare D:OS to other games, than I'd say it's a lot closer to Ultima series; a spiritual successor, if you will. And for the record, I liked the first DA ;)
  37. Jul 2, 2014
    Every person that likes RPGs and thought-provoking games in general, should say a HUGE thank you to Larian studios for setting the bar so high! Kickstarter games of the genre must now compare to this masterpiece and not be content with "good for a kickstarter game" status.
  38. Jul 3, 2014
    I can't even describe how much fun this game is. It made me use my account here for the first time, if that's any indication! The game is full of humour, deep turn-based combat, secrets, many roleplaying options, multiple solutions for quests, choices and consequences... It's almost too good to be true, but it is true. It has its flaws, of course, every game has. But they're negligible.I can't even describe how much fun this game is. It made me use my account here for the first time, if that's any indication! The game is full of humour, deep turn-based combat, secrets, many roleplaying options, multiple solutions for quests, choices and consequences... It's almost too good to be true, but it is true. It has its flaws, of course, every game has. But they're negligible. The game is awesome, and deserve all the praise it's getting. Expand
  39. Jul 3, 2014
    It has been so long since i played a RPG like this. It is everything i hoped.
    Sure it has its limitation, like the game is not fully voiced, the animations/graphics arent top notch, the UI could use a little work and there are a few bugs, but i can look over all of those things and still give a perfect score, why?
    Because the game excedes in everything else it tries to do, it is so much
    It has been so long since i played a RPG like this. It is everything i hoped.
    Because the game excedes in everything else it tries to do, it is so much like old schools RPGs ,like baldur's gate and the original Neverwinter nights. This style of game is missed by many, unforturnally bioware doesnt make like this since anymore, The last one was Dragon age: Origins.

A few noteworthy featues:

-A lot of exploration
    -Tons of dialogs with randoms NPCs,
    -Side quests, just in the first town there are already so much to do, that sometimes you forget the main quest.
    -The combat system is great, turn based done right
    -Two main characters which is something different, great when you are playing Coop
    -Party system, with interaction with companions Bioware style
    -Map/mod creator, if you played Neverwinter Nights back in the day, you remember how important that is. Endless possibilitys there.
    -Good character creator system(it is not as complex as D&D but it is good enought)

In conclusion, if you are looking for a true RPG experience this is THE game to play right now, if you are looking for another AAA "Action RPG" that are all about combat and quick reward, stay away from this one
  40. Jul 3, 2014
    This is a game that makes you realise how insensitive we've become in our gaming experience. We've allowed ourselves to accept that market giants lowers the standards of gaming under false pretenses of better performance, next gen tech or accessible gameplay.
    This is a game that slaps you in face and makes you wake up from your Matrix-like existence "Wake up Neo!" and reminds us of what we once had and what we've lost during the last 10 years!
    There's still a couple of rough edges, true, still that would make this game a 9 out of 10 by my book. But I'll be damned if I didn't kick it up by one more point just cuz these guys had the balls to do what they did!
    This deserves eternal respect!
  41. Jul 4, 2014
    So many of the younger persons have been so spoiled growing up playing nothing but Diablo-like click fests, that they have no patience for a well thought out and deeper RPG experience.

Divinity: Original Sin, is throwback to the golden era of the cRPG. The age before Diablo's success spawned a new type of RPG with the most important element removed or given a back seat - THE STORY! Not to mention a watered down version of RPG combat - the button mash.

This game is nostalgic. It leaves me with a good feeling just thinking about returning to the game, and experiencing it with the attention and thought that it was designed for. There is great attention to detail, the writing is excellent and humor a fun diversion, and the combat forces you to think instead of like pointing at a group of monsters and clicking them to death.

This is what a real RPG game is all about! Great job guys!
  42. Jul 3, 2014
    It's like playing Baldur's Gate again for the first time, with all the coolness of modern technology. It's a great game with a great story, great mechanics and it's all very open and interactive.
  43. Jul 2, 2014
    Best RPG I have played in the recent years. It has all what I like including turn-based combat, interesting plot, a lot of decisions and well-done graphics. Nice work for true RPG fans!
  44. Jul 3, 2014
    *sigh* It's been so long since I've had so much fun with a turn based rpg. Of course most of that is due to the fact that there aren't many anymore - unless you count the Japanese ones like Pokemon, which I don't enjoy.

So, yes, the combat is fairly simple to get a hang of, but also very challenging. You have to have a strategy to succeed, but you do have the option to flee if things get too hairy. For me, the combat is the best part of the game - which is unusual because I don't normally enjoy combat. I guess it's because each encounter feels unique and because there's a variety of different enemies that require unique strategies to overcome. There are also a bunch of different classes and you can mix and match the skills to make your own blend of character - a fireball throwing thief for example.

The magic system is awesome btw. You can light oil on fire, create a rainstorm to put it own, then electrify the water puddles to stun enemies, freeze the water to make them slip etc. Really creates some interesting situations. Mages aren't the only ones who can do this either. Archers can shoot flame, water, poison, ice etc arrows.

Something to keep in mind though: this game was made on a tight budget compared to most modern releases. A lot of it of it is voiced, but most of it isn't. It's more like classic RPGs like Bauldur's Gate in terms of dialog. Don't expect Mass Effect cutscenes etc. Also, not a lot of options for character customization. There are some though and I'm sure mods will add more. (Did I mention mods? It comes with the editor the used to make the game and it looks pretty nifty - though I haven't had the chance to play with it much.) The devs might make some additions too. They've been updating it frequently and fixes every little bug that's cropped up.

Back to dialog: there are dialog tree and some conversation skills. There's also a conversation mini-game for arguments that I don't enjoy too much, but it's tolerable as it is determined by stats as well as luck. It was probably included to solve disputes when you play multiplayer co-op - which, I haven't played, but most seem to enjoy it.

The story is decent - same the universe and all that, but it does seem to be somewhat non-linear - as in it makes room for you to do things in an odd order should you choose. There are a few memorable characters and some unexpected plot twists etc. A lot of content too. The game is actually way longer than I expected. A ton of side quests as well.

On the whole you can really tell the devs put their hearts into this and that's a rare thing too these days. 10/10. Great game.
  45. Jul 1, 2014
    I deliberately waited for the release and was sure that Larian wouldn't fall into some fishy business with early access like some other companies did, iykwim. DOS constantly updates and now it's very fun, deep, detailed and very addictive. I'm a big fan of old-school hardcore genre, so this game is really a pearl amongst swine:)
  46. Jul 2, 2014
    If you are a fan of turn based gameplay and innovative charming story telling then you will love this game. You can tell that the developers put a lot of love and effort into this game. Its a crying shame that games like this will only ever be made by crowd funded developers. This is a game made for RPG fans by RPG fans and it does not disappoint. If you call yourself a gamer and you doIf you are a fan of turn based gameplay and innovative charming story telling then you will love this game. You can tell that the developers put a lot of love and effort into this game. Its a crying shame that games like this will only ever be made by crowd funded developers. This is a game made for RPG fans by RPG fans and it does not disappoint. If you call yourself a gamer and you do not have this game, shame on you! Seriously go and buy it right now.. its that good. Expand
  47. Jul 2, 2014
    Tenia mas de 10 años que no me divertia tanto con un juego de ROL, me recuerda mucho a juegos como Ultima VII, la interaccion y los chistes son buenos, no esperes un clon de algun juego conocido, la gente de Larian hace sus juegos con sus propios meritos, lo recomiendo.
  48. Jul 2, 2014
    One of the best classical RPG made in recent years.

I've sinked 15 hours for early beta, and the final version is already a quite polished game since then. Pros: 1. Classical isomatric view with authentic art direction and neat graphic. 2. Depth in story, puzzle and mystery, the 1st murder case is complex and can be solved in multiple ways. A lot of intriguing side quests. 3.
    One of the best classical RPG made in recent years.

3. classic and smooth turn based combat using action points. Smart use of elemental magic that counters each other e.g. electrocute enemies if they stand on water, use ice or rain to put out fire.
    4. rich in loot, random status of loot, and a ton of ingredients.
    5. attention to detail, variety of skills to use, complex but not complicated, similar to fallout 1,2.
    6. Online COOP for the campaign!

Cons: 1. still some bugs, such as by-stand NPC repeating just 1 dialog over and over while you are concentrating to read thru a real conversation.
    2. no dialog voice over (due to small budget)
    3. just 1 skill point after level up is not really useful after high level, because you need to save up more points for specialization. This is quite redundant.
    4. the quests can be very difficult and sometimes misleading with the clues, you might lose your orientation, I am afraid in later stages the quest gets overwhelming and some players just drop out of the game.

Conclusion, if you enjoys BG1,2 fallout 1,2 you would love this game. totally worth the price.
  49. Jul 3, 2014
    Breath of fresh air with elements from Baldur's Gate, Ultima, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dungeons and Dragons, and Dragon Age. SCORE 95/100.

Truly challenging, deep, immersive, and entertaining. It does not hold your hand in any way and is not for casual gamers. Old school RPG fans will need a change of underwear.
  50. Jul 3, 2014
    This is one of the best games I have played in a long time, an unbelievable time sink that you enjoy every moment of. As you play new depths to the game are revealed. It's one of those games where not everything can be mentioned because there is just so much game. The first map alone can take 37 hours to complete then you still have 3 more big maps plus 6 smaller maps and that doesntThis is one of the best games I have played in a long time, an unbelievable time sink that you enjoy every moment of. As you play new depths to the game are revealed. It's one of those games where not everything can be mentioned because there is just so much game. The first map alone can take 37 hours to complete then you still have 3 more big maps plus 6 smaller maps and that doesnt include dungeons. Combat is fun but challenging, interactivity with the world is incredible.

More patches with new content is also coming. Comes with a mod kit (which is actually simple to use), so expect some crazy mods in the future on steamworks. Well done Larian you surpassed my expectations.

This is a release impression
  51. Jul 3, 2014
    After playing for 3 days now I can say this is the cRPG that RPG lovers have been waiting years for. I'm fairly new to the RPG genre, (as in Dragon Age Origins was the first RPG I played, since have played BG2, Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, NWN). This game is so much fun and has so much depth, it's awesome to see a studio bring something like this out in 2014. A few minor hick-ups makeAfter playing for 3 days now I can say this is the cRPG that RPG lovers have been waiting years for. I'm fairly new to the RPG genre, (as in Dragon Age Origins was the first RPG I played, since have played BG2, Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, NWN). This game is so much fun and has so much depth, it's awesome to see a studio bring something like this out in 2014. A few minor hick-ups make this a solid 9/10, but it's gets a 10/10 on the slider to off-set the couple of 0/10 cry baby rage quitters on here : ) Get the game, support the studio, and don't go online looking stuff up, you'll spoil the awesome surprises waiting for you in D:OS! Expand
  52. Jul 2, 2014
    This game is totally AWESOME!
    An AAA game funded with Kickstarter.
    + Level design + Story + EPIC Co-op + Tons of quests + Many way to reach your goals + Interaction between Characters (if you co-op too) and with NPC + Humor + No waypoint on the maps for quests + Combat (Turn Based) System + Deep Character generation + Talents, skills ... - this is how an RPG have to be
    This game is totally AWESOME!
    An AAA game funded with Kickstarter.

+ Level design
    + Story
    + EPIC Co-op
    + Tons of quests
    + Many way to reach your goals
    + Interaction between Characters (if you co-op too) and with NPC
    + Humor
    + No waypoint on the maps for quests
    + Combat (Turn Based) System
    + Deep Character generation
    + Talents, skills ...

- this is how an RPG have to be made!

Thumb up for Larian Studios!!!

... ah ... you can create your own adventures with the editor included!
  53. Jul 2, 2014
    If you enjoy an RPG with ultimate freedom, great co-op, and unmatched tactical combat, then Divinity: Original Sin is for you. It's a game about making your own story, instead of following the same worn out path. Furthermore, the editor gave me a fantastic first impression, and I feel like the decades long life of this masterpiece is just beginning.
  54. Jul 3, 2014
    One of the best RPG's ever, there is practically no limit in what you can do, and the turn based combat is just perfect, haven't had so much fun in a game of this magnitude in a very long time. This game is best enjoyed when playing with a friend
  55. Jul 1, 2014
    It`s a truly great RPG and a game that will please many people. Larian wasn`t in my high-score studios list before, but this release is top-notch. I highly recommend this.
  56. Jun 30, 2014
    Most of the good things have been said alredy by previous reviewers. Literally the best RPG to come out in at least a decade.

+ Combat
    + Story
    + Maps
    + Excessive dialogue
    + Playful environment
    + Mods
  57. Jul 3, 2014
    Great game! Neverwinter Nights / Baldur's Gate with 2014 graphics and features... and not hampered by a pen and paper rule-set... deep and satisfying.
  58. Jul 3, 2014
    I've waited a long time after Kickstarting this project. It has exceeded my expectations on every level and brings back so many memories of how games SHOULD be created. A perfect score from me.
  59. Jul 4, 2014
    The best RPG game in possibly a decade. The visuals are nice, the soundtrack is great, The story is interesting, it's new elements are innovative, choices actually do something, and character possibilities are so rich that there's something for everybody. Sometimes there is voice and sometimes not, which is kind of weird, and thus gives it a 9 instead of a 10.

An essential game to own

An essential game to own if you like Turn based RPGs.
  60. Jul 5, 2014
    The game has his problems, the alfa and beta were on a tiny version of the game and the modifications happened mostly to make the gameplay a bit more balanced in its variety. Goes without saying that the game has a few minor bugs or loading issues, because as a matter of fact the game despite alfa and beta was RUSHED(they just couldn't postpone any longer). Larian on its part is workingThe game has his problems, the alfa and beta were on a tiny version of the game and the modifications happened mostly to make the gameplay a bit more balanced in its variety. Goes without saying that the game has a few minor bugs or loading issues, because as a matter of fact the game despite alfa and beta was RUSHED(they just couldn't postpone any longer). Larian on its part is working only on fixing those bugs for the moment, it doesn't have other open projects and the constant updating, although for some tedious, shows that they are doing their best to fix whatever needs fixing. The game is not completely voiced and for people used to full-voiced games and very few books that can be a drag immersion-wise; the lack of full voicing was due to the fact that the game was expanded till the last minute before release, and since the voicing is the last part of the game-making any further voicing would have delayed the game release by a huge deal. Around 25% of the musics comes from old Larian games and half of the remaining was not specifically made for the game. This happened cause the author fell ill during the production and it was thought best to maintain unity rather than hire somebody else. Since most of the low rate reviews was on these issues I thought I might shed some light on the matter, Larian isn't a big-time production house, 1/4 of their founding came from kickstarters while the rest was a huge leap of faith on their part, a make it or break it kind of effort if you will. They took a small sector game(in the last years) such as cRPGs and jumped through hoops to make it as main-stream as they could, single-handedly taking the genre forward about 10 years. It is not a casual gamer kind of game, it forces you to read often more than most are willing to do, and it's not completely polished. Some said that the graphic is good and as a matter of fact it is, although the textures are often low quality, they did a lot of managing with the money and time they had and they achieved what they strived for, the game has an overall good feeling with as little as possible. D:OS doesn't deserve a 10 because it's the pinnacle of RPGs or because it showed a new way of doing things. It deserves the maximum score because it took an old formula left on the shelf for too long and without aid managed to make it viable in the year 2014.

I'll leave you with a few numbers to make you understand why D:OS and Larian deserve 10/10 on this game:
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: production costs 85 million dollars.
    And although i have no numbers on the dragon age games one thing is for sure, their costs were well above 20 million dollars(i am keeping myself tight here)
    The witcher 2 10 million dollars(which was considered an insanely tight budget for the end result)
    Larian scraped up 3 million dollars plus 1 million of kickstarter during production for a total of 4 million dollars.

They really outdid themselves with what they had, therefore this game sets a standard of quality for small houses and in my opinion the hiccups here and there can be forgiven. The 10 is not only for the game per-se that would still deserve a 9 as it is now but for how much was made with what little they had, I can but hope they'll make a **** of sales because I can't wait for their next game and I seriously hope the budget is gonna be less of an issue next time.
  61. Jul 4, 2014
    D:OS is a great game and an example of a successful Kickstarter campaign. It's kind of a mash-up between Ultima 7, Baldur's Gate, and Fallout (the earlier games, and not Fallout 3 onward), so the "old-school" crowd will dig it. This isometric RPG allows your party to explore the world in real time. Whenever enemies are encountered, the action switches to turn-based combat. Your partyD:OS is a great game and an example of a successful Kickstarter campaign. It's kind of a mash-up between Ultima 7, Baldur's Gate, and Fallout (the earlier games, and not Fallout 3 onward), so the "old-school" crowd will dig it. This isometric RPG allows your party to explore the world in real time. Whenever enemies are encountered, the action switches to turn-based combat. Your party can manipulate the environment within and outside of combat, crafting is available, and you can even play co-op with a friend. Highly recommended Expand
  62. Jul 4, 2014
    Created an account just to write a review for this. The game is brilliant, it has everything I've always hoped for in an RPG and its the first game to achieve that. Even if 'all' the parts doesn't live up to their full potential, the fact that it has -all- the parts is enough that this game stands not just on its own merit, but lifts the bar for other RPG's to follow!
  63. Jul 3, 2014
    20 hours in and this game is fantastic, a wonderful deep RPG with a rich, complex world to explore and a staggering amount of stuff to do. The only major issues i'd point out are technical and a possible subjective issue in that a lot of fans of the original divinity games may not appreciate the move to turn based combat, however this possible problem is offset by how god damn fun the new20 hours in and this game is fantastic, a wonderful deep RPG with a rich, complex world to explore and a staggering amount of stuff to do. The only major issues i'd point out are technical and a possible subjective issue in that a lot of fans of the original divinity games may not appreciate the move to turn based combat, however this possible problem is offset by how god damn fun the new combat system is. Due to a late press copy there aren't many official reviews out yet so this game is selling solely on word of mouth, so any fans need to speak up! Expand
  64. Jul 4, 2014
    I just love this game :D, Larian studios just hit the nail with this game. After very successful KS campaign and quite long alpha/beta period they managed to fulfill and improve most of their KS promises/features.

There is so much content that in 15h of playtime i didn't even left the first town. Considering this I will easily spend 100h during my first playthrough. When i started

When i started playing game just sucked me into beautiful world and interesting stories. Turn based combat is fun, smooth, challenging and amount of diversity in character creating offers many interesting builds to play with.

Many thanks to Larian for what is till now a really awesome game! Needless to say it will most likely take place as my best RPG of 2014.
  65. Jul 4, 2014
    One realy pleasant surprise this gem of a game. It had a somewhat sketchy launch at 30-06-2014, but as of right now (04-07-2014), 5 days later of launch, it already received a large number of hotfixes and updates to make the game even more polished and realy feels 100% as an AAA title in full right.

Game is funny, full of exploration surprises, RPG elements realy interesting but not boring, combat is turned based but surprisingly fast and fun.

I do believe that most (if not all) people complaining of negative ratings on this game must either have terribly optimized PC software/hardware or realy hate true RPGs not feeling them "action" enough.

This game does not hand-hold you telling everytime where to go. There is no skyrim-like button you can press to know to way to go nor a mapmarker to tell you where to go next. There is no giant popups on screen telling you that an NPC wants to give you a quest on the next corner nor a glowing UI telling there is an object that needs to be picked up. Everything is done by exploring, conversating with NPCs, having "feelings" and "suspicious" that something is strange there and investigate.

If you are used to games like diablo3 that is loot, loot, loot, kill, kill, kill, you will be disapointed with this game, it's more like older games that realy rewarded you for being inteligent, inquisitive, explorer and curious. In a sense it's not an interactive movie, but a treasure-finding game in every corner.

Unfortunately, this latest gamming generation of people is more about easy and quick satisfaction instead of working towards a hidden goal that needs to use the brain, so probably you will find a lot of negative people saying that its "slow" or "non-intuitive" or "no quest markers, zomg!" or "no full voice textz, i need to readz, it's so 10 years ago, zomgz!".

Don't play this game as an easy hack-n-slash expecting to end the game in 10 hours and get over with it, this is a game that will probably take you over 40hours if you are new to the (real)RPG elements and if you enjoy exploring and experiencing most of the hidden stuff.

Also, there is the toolkit for the game engine that the developer released with the game, basically meaning that fans can build free content, mods that will probably change anything you might not fully enjoy in the game, etc. At the launch price with all this stuff, it's a given good value.

As of now, i'm over 10 hours in the game, but i keep going back to see if i missed some corner unexplored and i still have some quests i', not sure how to proceed, but i'm folowing "gut-feelings" of where they might be.

Bottom line: For an RPGer, i believe this is probably the best game launched in the last 10 years, probably only Dragon Age: Origins might be close behind.
    For a non-RPGer, it's harder to predict if you'll like it. You might love it, you might not. But if you have cash i highly recomend you try it because it's a potential "life-remembering" game.
  66. Fuz
    Jul 7, 2014
    Fantastic game.
    Fantastic game.
    It draws heavily from old masterpieces like Ultima or the Baldur's Gate serie, giving the player a world to explore and enjoy. It feels like a real, living world and there are a lot of quests and stories all around, dozens of things to do, from crafting to fighting to investigating a murder and so on, all interspersed with excellent dialogues and a nice enough backstory: you could spend hours just exploring and talking to NPCs and you'll always want more.
    It's a party based RPG, you'll make two characters - and can recruit two more or play coop with a friend - and they could have different personalities based on your liking, so they can end up bickering and bantering all throughout the game.
    The combat is awesome, very tactic, hard but not frustrating with a clever use of magic combinations which can turn the tide of a difficult fight.
    The classes are very customizable, you can decide to take every single skill or abilty with any character, leading to a very open game experience.
    Technically, it's good but not something jaw-dropping. The engine is light and runs well even on old computers, the graphics are good, clean and easy readable and the magic effects are appropriate but not too uselessly flashy so you rarely get confused in the action. The music is also good and it never gets annoying.

The flaws:
    I really feel the need for a "undo" button, even if there's the problem that it could be abused (but you can also abuse save/load and the fleeing mechanic, so...). Too often I click on an enemy and get a misclick, moving my character where I don't want him to go. Also, finding the right spot for backstabbing is a tremendous pain.
    Another useful thing would have been more keybinds... the classic shift+1,+2,+3 for the quickbars and one for trading with the npcs... I would have mapped many more things.
    I don't really like the random loot. It's silly in a game with predefined encounters and no respawning enemies.
    Sometimes it's very slow. The wait times on save/quicksave/load/transition van be insanely long.
    Also I personally detest the rock/paper/scissor... it's a terrible way to handle the arguments and kills immersion (also it always looks like the PC is cheating which - true or false - it's annoying).
    And, more than everything, a full world like in the Ultima games would have been fantastic, instead of a series of maps like it is.

But those are just minor flaws, and all in all, it's undoubtedly one of the best RPGs of the last years: it's an awesome game that is making hard to turn off my PC.
  67. Jul 4, 2014
    I clocked about 70 hours now in 4 days. **** amazing game ! Everything from crafting to systems in games is polished as ****

Return of cRPG era !

Get candle put in oil and watch as world burns !
  68. Jul 4, 2014
    I wish more people knew about this game. It has great graphics, steadily pumping at a high frame rate with max settings.Divinity is exciting and fun, while still being turn-based. The crazy thing is that I haven't even played this game yet!
  69. Jul 20, 2014
    This is a re-review. I originally gave this a low score, but having finished the game I realize it deserves much better. A lot of people suggest fans of old isometric RPGs from 15 years ago (Ultima, BG) will like this game, and I would agree. But it's a game that shouldn't be compared to them, because it has a personality of its own.

Major pros: + Combat is deep, tactical, and highly

Major pros:

+ Combat is deep, tactical, and highly addictive. While not quite balanced as the first 1/3 is much harder than the last 1/3, if nothing else there's a definite sense of progression.
    + The story and setting don't have the heart of Bioware's best, but there's enough whimsy and intrigue to keep you engaged.
    + Multiple ways to conclude quests.

Cons:

- The UI lacks polish. Endless floating windows that get in the way of each other, limited camera rotation makes finding the right perspective difficult sometimes, tiny buttons. Functional, but could be much better.
    - Obtuse puzzles. I get that the developer didn't want to hand hold players, but pixel searching for buttons, vague clues you may not even find if you approach quests out of order, just cause grief.
    - Cheap instadeath moments. For example, there's a boss whose corpse will kill your character instantly if you step on him. But there is no warning that will happen. Resurrect scrolls are common enough, but it still annoys me.

Besides certain puzzles which I genuinely disliked, the cons are more nitpicking than anything else. Overall, this is a must play for any fan of the great isometric RPGs of the past.
  70. Sep 10, 2014
    Amazing, loved every minute of it. Great tactical combat, great story, funny. Sound is perfect, graphics are good and scale well to a 3 year old laptop with an Intel card! Took me back to when RPG's were fun again.
  71. Sep 7, 2014
    I love this game, its so much fun and the game world is amazing . I have had a great time exploring and combating enemies, I have never been a fan of turn based combat but this game nails it . The games attention to detail is first class and everything in world can be interacted with, there are millions of weapons and armours .

Nothing I don't like about the game but one thing I would

Nothing I don't like about the game but one thing I would change is, I would like it to be voice acted, because there is a ton of reading to do lol but its still amazing without it .
  72. Sep 11, 2014
    Great old school RPG, Why can this little studio do it but the big company's can not! This game is so much fun, It will not hold your hand so you must read the quest and put it together..Fun combat and you can steal/loot anything...Worth every Penny
  73. Sep 6, 2014
    This game is fun. Nothing else to really say. Its a great RPG with great mechanics and a ton-of-fun Editor to use to make your own crazy stuff. I say no more. Buy it.
  74. Sep 7, 2014
    As others have said. Fantastic game, best fun I've had for years. Have all the consoles but P.C is my love and these types of games don't come out very often. Great stories, gameplay, graphics, music and fun. Recommended.
  75. Sep 9, 2014
    A beautiful throwback to the days of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. This game doesn't just live up to the classics, it manages to even surpass them in several ways, and expands on the familiar RPG flavor with many interesting additions, such as a highly interactive environment and co-op dialogue.

It also features a toolset, which almost guarantees infinite replayability once

It also features a toolset, which almost guarantees infinite replayability once those user-made modules and adventures start popping out. Play it!
  76. Sep 25, 2014
    Un des meilleurs jeu de ces dernières années. Un vrai rpg comme baldur's gate ou les anciens fallout.
    Une difficulté un peu faible sur la fin, mais bon scénario, trés nombreux objets, du craft, de trés beaux graphismes, tres bonne musique...une merveille
  77. Oct 30, 2014
    Pro's:
    +Very tactical turn-based combat, which manages to make every fight seem vastly different to previous encounters. Also the enemy AI is (mostly) very good, making combat challenging, yet rewarding
    +Impressively high degree of character customisation +Rich, beautiful graphics and map design, even on the lowest settings +The story is engaging and well thought out +60+ hours of
    Pro's:
    +Impressively high degree of character customisation
    +Rich, beautiful graphics and map design, even on the lowest settings
    +The story is engaging and well thought out
    +60+ hours of content, with definite incentives for multiple playthroughs
    +Even on medium difficulty, this game is very hard, exactly how a proper RPG should be!

Cons:
    -Very long loading times (although maybe that is my rubbish laptop's fault)
    -The item-management system can feel a bit clunky and time consuming
    -Many of the game's aspects are poorly explained, or not even explained at all! There were countless times that I was genuinely stuck, and had to consult online guides. (Although this may be a bonus for hardcore RPG fans

Overall:
    Divinity: Original Sin is a breath of fresh air in a market driven by generic shooters. Difficult, time-consuming, but ultimately great fun, this game will satisfy RPG veterans and newcomers alike.
  78. Oct 7, 2014
    It's been a long time since I been so addicted to an RPG, this is genuine good quality game play with awesome graphics to boot. It is right up the alley of DnD lovers and RPG lovers alike, this game is literally the reason I became sleep deprived for two weeks. The greatness of this game completely shadows most of it's flaws. Playing it co-op just makes it that much more fun.
  79. Oct 18, 2014
    This is about as good as a top down fantasy RPG can get. Good story, good level of character customization, and brilliant combat system. Larian knocked this one out of the park. This is a must have for any RPG or tactical combat fan.
  80. Oct 6, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic game, it brings back to me vivid memories of my Black Isle/Interplay experiences (Baldur's Gate, Fallout...). I have been playing for 50 hours so far. Here's a short summary of my opinion:

Pros: - The combat mechanics are well thought and it's always exciting to get into a fight. The amount of skills allows you to setup a lot of interesting strategies. I have

Pros:

- The combat mechanics are well thought and it's always exciting to get into a fight. The amount of skills allows you to setup a lot of interesting strategies. I have been going with a combo of 2 mages, rogue and dual hand weapon warrior. So how interesting is it? A good example is that aside the traditional fireball spell, you have teleport spells where you can potentially send your heavy warrior in the middle the monster pack, or send an enemy in a pit of fire.
    - The music is perfect and I keep humming it even when not playing
    - Graphics are really nice, maybe slightly too cartoony for me, but that comes down to personal preference
    - So much reading materials, lore and random objects everywhere. This is one of the thing that gives you that distinct BG or Fallout feeling. Opening a crate, finding an armor and a random book about random lore stories.

Cons:

- The dialogue system between your 2 main characters is pretty rubbish. I find myself reloading just to got the best traits (which improves some aspect of your character sheet like skills or combat boost). Also the way conflicts are resolved (when your characters disagree) is too random. It is basically a game of rock-paper-scissors. But this doesn't feel very random as the computer player never chooses the same object than you.
    - One thing that I think could have been improved very easily is the map/teleport system. The issue is that there is no world map. Instead you have a local map that helps you navigate the place you are currently present and a teleportation device that allows you to select in a list the portal you want to go to. That gives a feeling of a disconnected maps rather than a coherent world.

Overall this is a great game and I totally recommend it if you like old school RPGs.
  81. Sep 30, 2014
    I had never played any of the other Divinity games so this title has been quite a "trial by fire".

Wow! What a breath of fresh air this game is. Complex without being overly so, excellent story (humour included), great sound and graphics, great replay value, truly open world with great crafting, loot, character customisation etc. The game can be quite difficult but the puzzles, traps

The game can be quite difficult but the puzzles, traps and challenges are well thought-out.

It does feel truly like a game made by gamers, for gamers.

Larian deserve full praise for a wonderful (and mostly bug-free!) release and I will keep a close eye on their future titles.
  82. Sep 2, 2014
    wow, great game. now im going to skip all the good things because you already know em.
    the "not so good things"
    -the hardest part is from lvl 3 to lvl 7 (excluding some boss battles) after that its easier because jahan can heal every turn. -if you clear all the places and do all the quest you will end at lvl 22 or 21. (the boss is lvl 20) so the final battle is long but easy if at least
    the "not so good things"
    -if you clear all the places and do all the quest you will end at lvl 22 or 21. (the boss is lvl 20) so the final battle is long but easy if at least one of your crew has the right resistances.
    -I didnt used the crafting because i felt it like a pain in the arse. because usually the different components where in different categories and i had A LOT of things in the backpack. and the crafting is not that important

excuse me if my english is not good
  83. Sep 23, 2014
    As a big fan of old school RPG I can recommend this fantastic game. I am very surprised that I missed Kick-starter campaign. I do not know where I was hiding that I did not notice.
  84. Nov 3, 2014
    I really don't know where to start with this game. There's just so much to do. It's incredibly fun. The dialogue is clever. The combat is satisfying. You could easily spend hours upon hours doing whatever you feel like in Divinity: Original Sin. It's not often I look back and wish I would have participated in crowdfunding a video game project, but I really wish I had helped fund theI really don't know where to start with this game. There's just so much to do. It's incredibly fun. The dialogue is clever. The combat is satisfying. You could easily spend hours upon hours doing whatever you feel like in Divinity: Original Sin. It's not often I look back and wish I would have participated in crowdfunding a video game project, but I really wish I had helped fund the creation of this game. It's spectacular. If you're a fan of RPGs or turn-based strategy games, you simply have to play Divinity: Original Sin. Expand
  85. Feb 4, 2015
    + + + Pros + + +
    1. A huge world to explore (also for 2 players).
    2. Refreshing combat system (turn-based with elements involved). 3. Attention to detail (a lot of content everywhere). - - - Cons - - - 1. The story is the typical "save the world" cliche. 2. No voiced dialogues (text only). 3. The interface is mess (and inventory is a nightmare). Great old-school RPG with lots of
    + + + Pros + + +
    1. A huge world to explore (also for 2 players).
    2. Refreshing combat system (turn-based with elements involved).
    3. Attention to detail (a lot of content everywhere).
    - - - Cons - - -
    1. The story is the typical "save the world" cliche.
    2. No voiced dialogues (text only).
    3. The interface is mess (and inventory is a nightmare).

Great old-school RPG with lots of fun,humour,adventuring and tricky pixel hunting,where you can get stuck easily so walktrough is necessary.
  86. Nov 21, 2014
    Awesome game! the only thing i don't like (nip picking) is the character creation has limited options for the face and body. And the portrays are too few. But beside that, it´s a fantastic game. A must buy game.
  87. Jan 19, 2015
    Very nice hardcore old-school RPG. I took 1 point off because the puzzle solving portion could've been done better. I like intelligent puzzles like the ones in Braid or Portal, for which you have all the puzzle pieces but have to put them together, not the "trial and error / find the hidden button / read a random book" type of puzzles in this game for which you often don't get any clues toVery nice hardcore old-school RPG. I took 1 point off because the puzzle solving portion could've been done better. I like intelligent puzzles like the ones in Braid or Portal, for which you have all the puzzle pieces but have to put them together, not the "trial and error / find the hidden button / read a random book" type of puzzles in this game for which you often don't get any clues to start with. Expand
  88. Jan 11, 2015
    An extremely rewarding game, it starts really slow and hard but as you get used to the mechanics and your team starts being productive it becomes one of the finest RPG experiences to date.

The best thing about this game are its battles, there is no standard way to win and here lies the magic and also the difficulty of the game. You can approach battles in any way you want and you can

You can approach battles in any way you want and you can improvise. The system is extremely deep and makes use of the environment which can be your biggest friend or foe depending on the circumstances.

The world is mythicaliy designed with a huge amount of lore spread throughout it making you want to explore more and more..You can find tons of equipment and choosing the best equipment for your team can be an extra challenge and adds to the immersion.

The only minor flaw I found is character design which is kind of generic
  89. Dec 6, 2014
    Original Sin is my favorite RPG of the past couple years, easily at that. I've mainly played it in coop so far, which is where the game shines even more than sp I think, and it has been nothing short of a blast for my bud and me. There is no handholding in the game, you have to read a lot of text, but not only is that very interesting for me, it sucks you incredibly hard into the gameworldOriginal Sin is my favorite RPG of the past couple years, easily at that. I've mainly played it in coop so far, which is where the game shines even more than sp I think, and it has been nothing short of a blast for my bud and me. There is no handholding in the game, you have to read a lot of text, but not only is that very interesting for me, it sucks you incredibly hard into the gameworld that you sometimes just can't stop playing.

And then, there is combat - I've never before had so much fun playing a wizard in a game like this. Casting spells, burning down baddies and what else not is more rewarding in Divinity than in any other RPG I've played so far. There's some oil on the floor? Okay, then burn it and throw an enemy into it for good measure! Together with the very well done environment on every single of the large maps it's nothing short of a blast to explore the game.

Dialogue is vital in Original Sin. You basically have to talk to many, many characters on your quests to find solutions, find out where to go next, but it's all very organic and done in a way that when you figure something out, it makes sense. The game just will not do things for you (there IS a quest log mind you), or tell you what to do next - this is all down to the player to find out on your travels.

Overall, there'd be so much more to say about this gem, but I know I am a little late to the party here so that'll be it from me for now. I just wanted to add this review to thank Larian for their amazing game, because it's nothing short of that, and the fact friend and I played this for over 90 hours in coop with little to no issues ever. That's how it should be, and that's right another thumbs up. Divinity certainly has beefed up the standards far as RPG goes for me and it'll be tough for any other to replace it at the top of my list anytime soon. Far as RPG goes, Divinity: Original Sin is the real deal to me!
  90. Dec 30, 2014
    This is a very good game, very deep and a LOT of fun. I've enjoyed the story and really like the graphics and general flow of the game. It's smart, well put together, and engaging. That said the Character building can be a bit confusing and the whole recipe thing is not something I've actively engaged in. I do wish they made that a bit easier like maybe Diablo where you go to someoneThis is a very good game, very deep and a LOT of fun. I've enjoyed the story and really like the graphics and general flow of the game. It's smart, well put together, and engaging. That said the Character building can be a bit confusing and the whole recipe thing is not something I've actively engaged in. I do wish they made that a bit easier like maybe Diablo where you go to someone to make your items. Expand
  91. Feb 18, 2015
    I was shocked by how good it turned out to be. This is the best RPG I've played in years.

There is a scene in the first hour of the game in which you get to the local harbour. A ship is burning and NPCs try to put the fire out to no avail. What do you do? There is no one asking for your help, there is no "quest acquired" or exclamation popping up. but the game showed you one way to put fires out a couple of minutes ago and you still have a rain scroll.
    That moment when you cast the spell without being ordered to do so, get XP and thanks by the NPCs after the fact, just because a game allowed you to use you're brain for a minute is just priceless.
    Divinity is full of those moments. It doesn't hold your hand, because it doesn't need to. There is fundamental logic everywhere.

It has party and turn-based combat at its core with at first glance typical melee, ranged, buff, nerf, magic systems. The are certain nuances to it though that make it simply great, mainly a dynamic combat enviroment based on elemental effects. Just to give you an idea: cast a lightning bolt, deal damage and have a bit of a chance to stun the target. but why not cast a rain storm first, create a puddle in its center and then cast the lightning spell. just throw the hair dryer into the tub. and when you tired of that, cast ice shards and freeze the puddle, rendering enemies and allies unlikely to move across it.

the game, not just combat, is filled with these situations where simple mechanics can create many different ways to complete your task.

Interestingly, the game has two main characters, who regularly are in dialogue with each other. This concept is primarily aimed at co-op but you still get the opportunity to have two opinions on one subject. That isn't astonishing or anything like that but just a nice change to the usual rpg dialogue.

Graphics might be to bright for some but it fits the character of the world. It is a bit wacky and not as dark. But the level of detail has a nice, high balance regarding models, environment and effects. so it is always looks like a coherent picture from the games iso perspective.

The only thing that I didn't like is the actual style of dialogue. What I love about it in Baldurs Gate for example is that NPCs get character already by how they talk. You can clearly tell a peasant from priest or mage. The dialogue in D:OS is always very picturesque. Even the smallest events are described with a illustration or two and it sometimes just feels out of place and/or tiring.

But, if you like RGPs, especially AD&D or Dragon Age Origins you have to give this one a go. Maybe not the easiest start in the genre but a must have for every fan of it.
  92. Feb 17, 2015
    Completely wonderful. The world is beautiful, delectable soundtrack and combat system. Cooperative mode adds even more fun. Title worth the time spent.
  93. May 11, 2015
    Absolutely brilliant RPG! No hand-holding (This is what most of the negative reviews complain about - modern day "gamers" expect the game to tell them exactly what to do - heaven forbid they actually have to use their brains :P ), fun combat, good story!

As for bugs and crashes, cant really say I've found any (after 11 hours of CONTINUOUS play.) - no crashes nothing. Very polished and fun game.
  94. Noi
    Feb 25, 2015
    Divinity really delivers on the nostalgic old school RPG. Combat is enjoyable and does not get boring after a few fights as I normally encounter in turn based games. They do a really good job in bringing the environment into the game play and not just aesthetically.

The game is full of humor and got me to giggle once in a while. I highly recommend this game for those who liked the old top down rpg's or even just anyone who is open for games that are not only filled with action :)
  95. Apr 22, 2015
    Excellent game but not without a flaws.
    PROS:
    + Large world to explore. + Great graphics at reasonable hardware. + Interesting weapons / gear. + Turn based combat with usage of environment. + Interesting quests and story. + Allows cooperative play!!! + Interesting characters and interactions between them. + Nice crafting system. CONS: - A.I. in combat is stupid. - You can sell
    Excellent game but not without a flaws.
    PROS:
    + Large world to explore.
    + Great graphics at reasonable hardware.
    + Interesting weapons / gear.
    + Turn based combat with usage of environment.
    + Interesting quests and story.
    + Allows cooperative play!!!
    + Interesting characters and interactions between them.
    + Nice crafting system.
    CONS:
    - A.I. in combat is stupid.
    - You can sell garbage gear to anybody.
    - Not good inventory management (even with the usage of backpacks).

I haven't so much fun in RPG since Fallout: New Vegas. For me currently the best RPG on the market (yes this game is better than Pillars of Eternity).
  96. Apr 18, 2015
    I was impressed when I got hooked into this game. I don't even care for turn based combat but this game did it the right way. Divinity: Original Sin is one of the best modern rpg games I have played.

Its worth mentioning this game also has an amazing soundtrack.
  97. Sep 3, 2014
    Back to OLD school. They done it, a game that goes back to the roots of real RPG, with all of its aspects of gameplay, story, quests, funny characters (man and beast). Great use of area effects with spells and elements. Very easy and complex crafting system that sometimes makes you laugh :)

For all those real RPG fans, a must play game of the year.
  98. Sep 16, 2014
    The story and the setting are average. The combat and magic systems are very nice. The game itself is pretty lengthy and has a huge amount of content. I enjoyed it, but probably won't touch it again.
  99. Sep 12, 2014
    I'm a working parent and have limited time. I have a huge backlog and find that I'm not able to start and continue a game till the end. So, it's a huge testament to D:OS that I played every chance I get and sacrifice sleep to progress the game. I'm also surprise to see that I have the patience for a turn base game. This is definitely GoTY to me!!
  100. Sep 20, 2014
    Good RPG hindered by small problems.
    If you are ready to spend TONS of hours to finish this game then this is the game for you.
    I have been playing it for 3 months.

1. Dec 31, 2014
    It's a conscious decision on Larian's part to resurrect tried-and-true threads that run deep into the bones of the CRPG genre. It's a culmination of those efforts and an unapologetic celebration of battle-tested concepts backed by solid co-op. Most of all, it comes together as a grand adventure that hearkens back to sleepless nights buoyed by the roll of a die and a pad of grid paper shared between fellow dungeon crawlers.
  2. Oct 22, 2014
    Relatively small Larian Studios finally managed to deliver a really significant game. Original Sin is brimming with ideas on how to bring back old school RPG vibe and make it fit modern times. [Sept 2014, p.50]
  3. Sep 12, 2014
    As much as I loved the bulk of the game, by the end I was burning out, and burning out fast. Despite that, I'm glad that some studios are still willing to show an almost insane level of ambition in realizing the games they want to make without compromise, even if it does lead to a few dire moments here and there.