Dominions 3: The Awakening PC

8.0

1. RussellB
    Nov 28, 2008
    Without having played Master of Magic, I could only describe the game with the analogy that its essentially Civilization II, Magic the Gathering and Rome: Total War in one pleasing, modern interface (I had no problems with wide screen resolution). The content-over-graphics approach is reminiscent of Space Empires IV; even then, I don't see the sprite graphics as negative given theWithout having played Master of Magic, I could only describe the game with the analogy that its essentially Civilization II, Magic the Gathering and Rome: Total War in one pleasing, modern interface (I had no problems with wide screen resolution). The content-over-graphics approach is reminiscent of Space Empires IV; even then, I don't see the sprite graphics as negative given the vast number of units that can appear on the battlefield. With over a thousand well-drawn and animated sprites, large-scale fortress invasions, and amount of units that can be fielded, sprite graphics feel like a feature rather than a limitation.

The user interface is easy to learn and, in my opinion, better most turn based, 4x strategy games (that includes Space Empires IV, Galactic Civilizations II, Civ. II, Civ. III, Civ. IV). Strategy isn't dumbed down, and the game is probably more repayable than most of those combined. Functions are placed intelligently. The AI appears to be well capable, and even though multiplayer has a pretty big following, I'm still learning which faction to play - factions are pretty interesting and not rehashed versions of each other or simply paper, rock, sissors (i.e. Gal Civ. II combat). My experiences playing most factions - particularly EA Ermor to LA Ermor and EA Ulm to LA Ulm - was as if I tried a completely different game.
    The game appears to have a great development team which, for a game that was surprisingly balanced and whole to begin with, continually release new content for the game (more factions, heros, unit graphics, etc.).
  2. DemetrisRoussis
    Mar 6, 2008
    This game is truly great and has a deep gameplay, combined with a great scenario.Only if it had better graphics and sound effects and performance, it would have been an absolutely beautiful game.Surely, if it was published by a games publisher, better than Shrapnel Games, like Microsoft or EA, it would have been a huge success, bringing a lot of money to the Developer and Publisher factoryThis game is truly great and has a deep gameplay, combined with a great scenario.Only if it had better graphics and sound effects and performance, it would have been an absolutely beautiful game.Surely, if it was published by a games publisher, better than Shrapnel Games, like Microsoft or EA, it would have been a huge success, bringing a lot of money to the Developer and Publisher factory and much more entertainment to video gamers! Expand
  3. Mar 25, 2013
    Excellent TBS. Many Options and endless ways to win or lose. Ai is very good but the game is made for Multiplayer. But be warned, if you don't like micromanagement do not try this game If you like to manage every turn every province and you are a fan of old school TBS Dominions 3 is a must have.
  4. CaradryanRyman
    Jan 20, 2009
    Warning: If you're a college student of some sort who loves strategy games and care about their GPA, please stay away from this game. Luckily, it is only the beginning of semester, or else ...yeah.
    Dominion 3 is an extremely deep and engaging game. With a complex system, old-school sprites, and customization up the wazoo, this is THE ultimate turn-based strategy.
    I would
    I would highly recommend trying out their downloadable demo to get a feel for the game. This game is definitely not for everyone - but for those of you who are willing to think a little more than our average gamer, this is for you.

Ignoring the fact that there's still frequent official patchs, a myraid of excellent mods and maps featuring other fantasy works, the pricetag is really pretty fair for a game like this. Overall, a solid 10/10.
  5. JeremyF.
    Oct 15, 2006
    Easily the best turn-based strategy game in the past decade, Dominions 3 completes the promise of its actual predecessor (Dominions 2) as well as its spiritual predecessor, the classic fantasy TBS, Master of Magic. When you consider that its competitors are legendary franchies like Warlords abd Heroes of Might and Magic, that's high praise indeed. That said, its worth noting that Easily the best turn-based strategy game in the past decade, Dominions 3 completes the promise of its actual predecessor (Dominions 2) as well as its spiritual predecessor, the classic fantasy TBS, Master of Magic. When you consider that its competitors are legendary franchies like Warlords abd Heroes of Might and Magic, that's high praise indeed. That said, its worth noting that Dominions 3 is ONLY for those fans who are ready to handle a very deep, very complex strategy game. Expand
  6. CalD.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Best fantasy MP game ever, SP isn't that good because AI can't handle all the cool actions.
  7. TimH.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Excellent Turn Based Strategy Title. With better graphics/interface/Single player AI this would be 10/10.
  8. ØyvindW.
    Apr 21, 2008
    Dominions is a very special 4X fantasy game in many respects. First of all, it uses a more original fantasy setting than most games in that you won't encounter the cliché Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and other races from the Warcraft/Dungeons&Dragons universe. Rather, and this brings me to the second point, the game features a huge array of nations based on international folklore andDominions is a very special 4X fantasy game in many respects. First of all, it uses a more original fantasy setting than most games in that you won't encounter the cliché Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and other races from the Warcraft/Dungeons&Dragons universe. Rather, and this brings me to the second point, the game features a huge array of nations based on international folklore and myth. And 'huge' is a word I can use on pretty much the entire game. Dom3 boasts over a thousand different units, hundreds of magic items you can give your commanders with an RPG-ish equipment system, and hundreds of different spells you can research. The game is so huge that even experienced players will find themselves exploring it and constantly discovering new strategies. Add to this a Random Map Generator (a welcome addition) and a decent modding system, and you have a game that's not exhausted in a matter of weeks or months.

Dom3 has downsides, primarily the very basic graphics and sound effects, and how the game tends to become micromanagement-heavy when you've built your empire.
    Important PS: If your menus disappear and you can't access the save function, you're playing a pirated version. Shame on you.
  9. Feb 21, 2013
    This is a serious game. Probably for TBS, the best out there. It is deeply engrossing. Options endless, strategies endless, highly moddable, dedicated community. The game is richly complex and winnable with literally 100's of strategies. A virtual gold mine of a game from a strategy point of view. A caution, the learning curve is steep. It's not angry birds. Some posters have saidThis is a serious game. Probably for TBS, the best out there. It is deeply engrossing. Options endless, strategies endless, highly moddable, dedicated community. The game is richly complex and winnable with literally 100's of strategies. A virtual gold mine of a game from a strategy point of view. A caution, the learning curve is steep. It's not angry birds. Some posters have said that the AI is weak. It can be adjusted, but simply it has too many options which are adaptable and good. I suspect that because there is no "right" choice, the AI can't handle it all. Made even more amusing and complicated is the fact that when you give orders, they may not be obeyed or not play out the way you'd like just like real life. The replay value is not exceeded by any game on the market. Now for the bad. The graphics could use a little work, both in appearance and in a manner that enables one to follow the action a bit better. But graphics are not the main selling point. The point is game play and options, endless options. Also, near the end game, micromanagement becomes a serious issue. It is possible to lose track of where units are going and what they are doing. Perhaps there should be a final destination marker and a way to track what the units are doing in a more trackable way. The organization and tracking need a bit of work and some of the interface rough spots need to be cleaned up. Having said that, it is probably the finest game out there if strategy is what you seek. Expand
  10. DanielS.
    Oct 19, 2006
    Best Multi-player TBS game I have ever played. SP game is only a 7 as the AI is only good. Not a fast paced game or one with killer graphics but I can't stop playing. When I am not playing I am working on new strats to try out next time I play.
  11. Dom3Fan
    Oct 14, 2006
    If you love deep turn based stragy games like VGA Planets, Stars!, Space Empires IV you will love this one. The strategic and tactical possibilities are virtually endless. No game has ever been written that is this strategically rich. A game will take months to complete, with you and your friends becoming deeply involved in all the nuances of your epic struggle. Really, can't If you love deep turn based stragy games like VGA Planets, Stars!, Space Empires IV you will love this one. The strategic and tactical possibilities are virtually endless. No game has ever been written that is this strategically rich. A game will take months to complete, with you and your friends becoming deeply involved in all the nuances of your epic struggle. Really, can't recommend it highly enough. Expand
  12. DCorazon
    Nov 3, 2007
    I know this game has a big hurdle - I had been noodling on whether to buy this back when it was Dominions 2 but I could never figure out what was going on. Well, I finally took the plunge, printed out the tutorial, and downloaded the demo. By the time I was through, I couldn't wait to get the full version. Needless to say, my only regret is why I waited so long. This game unlike I know this game has a big hurdle - I had been noodling on whether to buy this back when it was Dominions 2 but I could never figure out what was going on. Well, I finally took the plunge, printed out the tutorial, and downloaded the demo. By the time I was through, I couldn't wait to get the full version. Needless to say, my only regret is why I waited so long. This game unlike anything else I have played captures the essence of epic. There is so much to learn, so much to do, so much strategy. I love how it actually makes sense to scout, so you can deploy your squads effectively. If you know you are going to fight archers, position your troops with kite shields up front. You can give your calvary orders to attack the read , trying to flank your enemy. On and on. Meanwhile you have assasins, priests, wizards, mighty warriors, summoned ghost captains. You can forge magic items, cast the world into darkness, etc. It is great fun to play via email. It allows you to really take the time to savor each turn and makes each decision feel crucial. Anyway, nuff said. If you take the time to figure this gem out, it will pay off like no other game. Expand
  13. Nov 4, 2012
    This Indie game maybe wasn't quite what I expected, but it was still nonetheless a real treat! It is definitely one of the best fantasy/Tolkien-esque 4X strategy games on the market; up there with Age of Wonders 2. Like most games it's not without its weaknesses though. For one thing the sprite graphics are definitely dated. For another, I was expecting intricate city building, civilThis Indie game maybe wasn't quite what I expected, but it was still nonetheless a real treat! It is definitely one of the best fantasy/Tolkien-esque 4X strategy games on the market; up there with Age of Wonders 2. Like most games it's not without its weaknesses though. For one thing the sprite graphics are definitely dated. For another, I was expecting intricate city building, civil and military research on par with the Civilization series, and strong single player diplomacy options. Alas, city building is very lite, diplomacy is basically multiplayer play-by-mail only, and there is no research other than magic. Having said that, the game has the most detailed and well-fleshed out magic research I've ever seen in a game. Further, despite the dated graphics, the 'autopilot' tactical battles (where your armies fight it out according to orders you've given them before the battle) are great fun to watch. I would also add that you have a wide range of choices when it comes to your faction and leader. Be warned though, the 'sandbox' campaigns can be rather long and involved, even on small maps and at easy AI difficulty and aggression settings. In fact my last game was on a small map with five total 'pretenders' and it was a good ten hour game. On the aesthetic side, the Celtic soundtrack with female vocalist is very strong; some of the best game music I've heard in a while. Anyway, I had really wanted to give this game a 9, but I docked it half a point for the dated graphics, lack of single-player diplomatic options, the lite city building, and the lack of non-magic research. Still in all this Indie game is a lot better than more than a few strategy games put out by the big gaming studios with their much greater development resources. If you like fantasy/Tolkien-esque turn-based strategy 'explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate' games, this one is not to be missed. Expand
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    I just discovered this gem of a game, and I have to say it's one of the best turn based strategy games I've ever played. The amount of depth in this game is staggering. There are a huge number of nations, units, spells, items, and tactics at a player's disposal. I actually found the UI to be pretty good once you learn the basics, and I didn't find the basics as hard to learn as someI just discovered this gem of a game, and I have to say it's one of the best turn based strategy games I've ever played. The amount of depth in this game is staggering. There are a huge number of nations, units, spells, items, and tactics at a player's disposal. I actually found the UI to be pretty good once you learn the basics, and I didn't find the basics as hard to learn as some folks have suggested. It will take you a very long time to learn to be competitive in multiplayer though. The only negatives about this game that I have found are the dated graphics, and that the AI quite dumb. Expand
  15. Sep 27, 2013
    If you are looking for fancy graphics, a gentle learning curve, or a casual strategy gaming experience look elsewhere. If however you want a challenging game with a tremendous amount of depth, content, and attention to detail you have found a real gem. The gameplay experience could be described as unforgiving but success in this game is very rewarding because it requires careful planningIf you are looking for fancy graphics, a gentle learning curve, or a casual strategy gaming experience look elsewhere. If however you want a challenging game with a tremendous amount of depth, content, and attention to detail you have found a real gem. The gameplay experience could be described as unforgiving but success in this game is very rewarding because it requires careful planning and execution. Also, the departure from the "High Fantasy" mythos is refreshing. From Norse and Hindu mythology to Lovecraft's underwater horrors there is so much inspired content it is almost mind-boggling. This is an excellent game! Expand

1. For those TBS fans out there this will most likely be one of the best games out there. Though it carries a hefty MSRP of about 50 bucks, It is very unlikely that any game will be exactly the same. There is just too much content for that.
  2. PC Gamer UK
    Too garage for its own good. [Christmas 2006, p.80]
  3. Computer Games Magazine
    But if you're willing to look, there are very few games that show you as much as you'll see here--a nearly infinite variety of rising gods and dying empires and a fat man with a magic belt--and no games that do it with focus, depth, and extraordinary economy of Dominions 3. [Jan. 2007, p.60]