Doom 3 PC

7.5

1. Nov 22, 2015
    Wow! Pretty scary game. I crapped my pants couple of times :)) nothing major, but still an inconvenience. Anyway, was fun playing this one. Awesome graphics, really atmospheric environment, cool weapons, good action movie style story, claustrophobic feeling of loneliness and someone watching you. . . BAM! U dead son! :))
  2. Oct 26, 2012
    DOOM is a legendary game series. Now in its third major entry the series goes modern. Everyone knows the story to the DOOM games, your a marine who is on a space station when Hell literally breaks loose and its up to you to stop the demons. The gameplay is everything I want in an FPS and the game has an atmosphere so tense that I would almost call it a horror title too. The only gripe IDOOM is a legendary game series. Now in its third major entry the series goes modern. Everyone knows the story to the DOOM games, your a marine who is on a space station when Hell literally breaks loose and its up to you to stop the demons. The gameplay is everything I want in an FPS and the game has an atmosphere so tense that I would almost call it a horror title too. The only gripe I have with it...lack of story, but its DOOM so it cant help it. Expand
  3. Nov 24, 2012
    Exactly what you expect from the Doom franchise. It's amazing in every way. Anyone complaining about it, is either a moron or has never played the other Doom games.
  4. Sep 27, 2011
    Having completed Doom 3 twice on Xbox and once on PC, I'd give it a solid 9. In my opinion one of the better FPS games around. Doom 3 is very intense and atmospheric and would keep you on the edge from start to finish. Should you let your guard down for a second and an enemy would pop out of nowhere and damage you greatly. Doom 3 manages to place enemies in all the right spots. Even laterHaving completed Doom 3 twice on Xbox and once on PC, I'd give it a solid 9. In my opinion one of the better FPS games around. Doom 3 is very intense and atmospheric and would keep you on the edge from start to finish. Should you let your guard down for a second and an enemy would pop out of nowhere and damage you greatly. Doom 3 manages to place enemies in all the right spots. Even later on into the game once you get used to monsters doing that, it still manages to make you jump. With some FPS games all you do is just shoot as many monsters coming your way as fast as you possibly can. No brain cells involved, just let all the ammo loose. *coughPainkillercough* With Doom 3 it's not like that. Enemies come out at unexpected moments, they ambush you, they actually use various attacks (as opposed to just plainly charging head on towards you). Now admittedly Doom 3 can get repetitive, because majority of areas and levels look very much alike. However the game at least puts effort in varying the gameplay slightly by introducing new monsters every now and then, which get tougher further into the game, and also you find a lot of new guns, such as minigun, plasma gun, rocket launcher, chainsaw and even the good ol BFG. And all this is done in fantastic graphics, which are truly mindblowing, managing to engross you. Apart from just going and shooting monsters, you do need to pay attention to things such as PDAs which you pick up from dead guards and scientists, and read through the emails and listen to audio logs, for they often have valuable information, such as cabinet codes and such. Although mostly linear, and lacking in bonus content, Doom 3 is still a solid game. Expand
  5. Mar 25, 2015
    doom 3 combines elements of survival horror and traditional fps games very well. this game is truly quite scary for the majority of its run time and is bloody fun to play. I feel that it starts to get a little bit boring after you've gotten atleast halfway through because the story doesn't really add anything to the game and there is no variety to the gameplay besides shooting which isdoom 3 combines elements of survival horror and traditional fps games very well. this game is truly quite scary for the majority of its run time and is bloody fun to play. I feel that it starts to get a little bit boring after you've gotten atleast halfway through because the story doesn't really add anything to the game and there is no variety to the gameplay besides shooting which is fine I just wish that they could of incorporated some situations that acquired you to change tactics but you pretty much just want to strafe and shoot. besides the story being only acceptable and the gameplay getting a bit old near the last bit of the game doom is a great game and I can imagine it being a big deal during its time of release Expand
  6. Apr 30, 2011
    I don't mean to be a gushing fanboy, but Doom 3, in my opinion, is the best PC FPS I have ever played (next to the original Quake) and certainly the best looking also. The plot is the same as every Doom before it, you play as a nameless space marine who must make it out alive after the demons of hell overrun the base you reside in. What follows are scary moments, epic boss battles and aI don't mean to be a gushing fanboy, but Doom 3, in my opinion, is the best PC FPS I have ever played (next to the original Quake) and certainly the best looking also. The plot is the same as every Doom before it, you play as a nameless space marine who must make it out alive after the demons of hell overrun the base you reside in. What follows are scary moments, epic boss battles and a sh*tload of guns to play around with. The folks at ID really pulled out all the stops on this one, and serve up a game that entertains just as much as it frightens. One of my favorite games of all time. Expand
  7. Aug 18, 2012
    One of the most excitin games I have ever played! The only problem I had was the dark setting. Given the length of the game, the darkness became somewhat tedious. All in all, great weapons, challenging enemies, and many surprises.
  8. Jun 13, 2016
    Too frightening for me to even get close to finishing, but it was a 10 from what I played in 2004. The Graphics were top notch back when I had my Radeon 9800 Pro, and the sound on my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system was phenomenal. Simply put, Doom 3 was the scariest game I ever played. Even more so than the original Resident Evil when I was a kid.

I might have to just buckle down and

I might have to just buckle down and beat Doom 3 BFG since there is an auto flashlight on your weapon, lol. Seriously, the sound effects in this game and the lighting made the environments the best in a survival horror game.
  9. Mar 12, 2012
    Doom 3 is, and always will be, one of my favourite shooters around. It is very scary (no wonder it was packaged with a disclaimer to keep the volume down at night), as you can never see the enemies coming. The shooting is tough but fun, and is addictive to play. The graphics are good (the brains popping out are a little disturbing) and the story is simple but that isn't what Doom is allDoom 3 is, and always will be, one of my favourite shooters around. It is very scary (no wonder it was packaged with a disclaimer to keep the volume down at night), as you can never see the enemies coming. The shooting is tough but fun, and is addictive to play. The graphics are good (the brains popping out are a little disturbing) and the story is simple but that isn't what Doom is all about. Hopefully Doom 4 will be an excellent sequel in an excellent franchise. Expand
  10. Mar 26, 2011
    This title was pretty controversial when it came out. Not because of the content, but because of te quality: many said that the final product failed to meet their expectations. This hwever was not the case with me. Furthermore, i consider it one of the best FPS games there is: I Actually still play it, so its up there with Quake and Doom 1. The graphics are lovely, and even though they noThis title was pretty controversial when it came out. Not because of the content, but because of te quality: many said that the final product failed to meet their expectations. This hwever was not the case with me. Furthermore, i consider it one of the best FPS games there is: I Actually still play it, so its up there with Quake and Doom 1. The graphics are lovely, and even though they no longer are as breathtaking as they were 7 years ago when the game came out, they still may impress. The game is painfully linear, but that's something I'm willing to look over for the sake of a good time spent playing. Expand
  11. Oct 4, 2010
    While not as classy and genre defining as the original, Doom 3 contains a rich scary atmosphere, outstanding visuals and creepy sound effects. It's just a shame about the actual gameplay and the horrible multiplayer. But for a Doom fan this is a must.
  12. May 19, 2013
    Frightening as hell and hard as hell. Many people have complained about the story... You cannot expect literary greatness from a series titled 'Doom.'
  13. Nov 23, 2010
    It is a game that you either love, or hate; and to me, it still holds up to this day. I can never get bored of it; maybe it makes me a freak in the gaming community. Gorgeous artwork, that if you invest the effort into to get 1440 by 900 resolution (or higher) working along with max settings, that really holds up even to this day despite it's somewhat retro status. Solid shooting elementsIt is a game that you either love, or hate; and to me, it still holds up to this day. I can never get bored of it; maybe it makes me a freak in the gaming community. Gorgeous artwork, that if you invest the effort into to get 1440 by 900 resolution (or higher) working along with max settings, that really holds up even to this day despite it's somewhat retro status. Solid shooting elements are complimented by near perfect pacing for each combat encounter in each room as you progress; accented by scary sound effects, and stellar sound design. The only flaw with the game is the horrid multiplayer, somewhat lackluster storyline, and the effort it takes to get the game to run on higher resolutions; you'll find the solution to THAT one is easier than you think! Otherwise, this game stands out in my Steam library as a true classic regardless of the divided Doom fan base and it's opinions on this game. Expand
  14. Dec 17, 2015
    A phenomenal shooter with plenty of scary sequences. One of the best games of 2004 IMO. A must play in my opinion. The graphics in this game, even in 2015, are still great and take advantage of the atmosphere. I prefer the originals a lot more than DOOM 3, but this is still a great modern FPS.
  15. Jan 10, 2011
    This game may be repetitive but its still enjoyable. For the time it must of had some very good graphics. The story could of been better but the dialogue is just ok. This is good game worth checking out.
  16. Jul 25, 2016
    I really enjoyed this franchised, so I couldn't let Doom 3 unplayed. It was a very nice game, although I think that after we get the Soul Cube it gets a little too easy. The game looks like any normal shooter, then we are sent to hell without almost any weapon or ammunition, and we really feel like we are playing the good old Doom. The game is grim, they brought back the enemies ofI really enjoyed this franchised, so I couldn't let Doom 3 unplayed. It was a very nice game, although I think that after we get the Soul Cube it gets a little too easy. The game looks like any normal shooter, then we are sent to hell without almost any weapon or ammunition, and we really feel like we are playing the good old Doom. The game is grim, they brought back the enemies of previous games with a great deal of realism, and some new ones that are very nice.

I confess I started playing with some amount of prejudice, I thought they wouldn't live up to the series, but as I played I thought that the franchise really deserved this continuity. The game was heavy on my graphic card, I had very little money at the time, had to play on minimum with a resolution of just 800x600, with scan lines through the screen. It was a game that was above his time in graphic quality, and was successful in bringing back this great classic.
  17. Oct 26, 2011
    Let me get this out of the way, just so many of you are clear on the fact. A generic shooter IS NOT A BAD shooter, it simply means that that is really the focus of the game, as it is with 90% of all top-quality shooters today (even CoD can be called a generic shooter). This games is incredibly scary throughout its expanse, sure it uses cheap monster-door tricks, but that only helps keepLet me get this out of the way, just so many of you are clear on the fact. A generic shooter IS NOT A BAD shooter, it simply means that that is really the focus of the game, as it is with 90% of all top-quality shooters today (even CoD can be called a generic shooter). This games is incredibly scary throughout its expanse, sure it uses cheap monster-door tricks, but that only helps keep you on your toes and the situation tense. They are not spammed as some reviews mention and are sometimes easy to spot as they lay next to an essential healthkit, but in what it strives to do, it succeeds and dominates all competition. Ground breaking graphics for its time and still okay even now in 2011, it provides one with some of the most intense and nerve-wrecking experiences possible in a horror focused shooter. The level design can become tedious towards the end but you'll be to busy trying to survive and scavenging for health and ammo caches to even notice. It has a great length for the asking price and what I consider to be one of the scariest and intense games of all time. The immersion, audio and monster design are top-notch, the voice acting may seem iffy at times but this is so few and far between it really doesn't affect you. And lastly the story, which unfolds through cut-scenes and the many hundreds of emails and audio logs you come across in the game and are as a whole expertly executed. I truly recommend this to anyone looking for a good scare mixed with some great classic shooting and a deep story, all the while surrounded by one of the most immersive environments ever designed. Expand
  18. Apr 29, 2014
    DOOM 3 is an amazing game. Back when it first came out, I was literally too scared to even play it. Even as an adult now, the game still has it's frightening moments. With a massive weapon selection and immerse story line, you can get lost for hours in Mars City killing demons and sending them back to Hell. A true work of art.
  19. Jun 28, 2014
    This is a modern-version of the classic DooM.
    The enemies are familiar and so are the weapons
    The characters you encounter are quite decent and you can get along with their ways. The cut-scenes put you on the edge and make you exited for the next event however, the only problem i have encountered are the difficulty settings... To me there's "Very easy" "Easy" "Hard" and "impossible"
    This is a modern-version of the classic DooM.
    The enemies are familiar and so are the weapons
    The cut-scenes put you on the edge and make you exited for the next event
    however, the only problem i have encountered are the difficulty settings...
    To me there's "Very easy" "Easy" "Hard" and "impossible"
    I want something in between the "Easy" and "hard"

Still, Great game.
  20. Jan 1, 2013
    Must own game even in this age of gaming. Great shooting game that should be played by anyone that calls themselves an FPS fan, but don't think you can handle the graphics? There's a mod for that. Rather have the falshlight on your weapons? There's a mod for that, Want faster-paced gameplay closer to the original Doom? There's a mod for that. Rather have a medieval fantasy setting withMust own game even in this age of gaming. Great shooting game that should be played by anyone that calls themselves an FPS fan, but don't think you can handle the graphics? There's a mod for that. Rather have the falshlight on your weapons? There's a mod for that, Want faster-paced gameplay closer to the original Doom? There's a mod for that. Rather have a medieval fantasy setting with Shield and melee combat? There's a mod for that. Want a completely different, stealth based game a-like to the kinds of Thief, but with better graphics and 100's of community made maps and missions? There's a mod for that. Have a look for some examples here, gamefront.com/5-must-play-doom-3-mods/, and, moddb.com/games/doom-iii, for the examples given and use you trusty friend Google to find out more about these countless mods, many of which can improve any problems you personally have with the game, or that many have with it. I cannot think of a reson you should not buy it.

Have fun
  21. Sep 21, 2010
    I loved playing this game, It was really scary and really in your face. It tries to scare you in the game by popping out instead of the chills down your spine scary you get in the F.E.A.R Series. It has alot of erie moments in the game. I loved all the detail they put in the game. It was one of my favorite. It is a must buy for any FPS shooter fan. Get it and you wont regret it!!
  22. Aug 5, 2013
    Not sure why this game has a mixed or average 7.3 as a user score and only an 87. This is by far one of the best survival horror games I have ever played. The game looks like a 2010 title yet its only a 2004 one. I never really paid much attention to Doom 3 when it first came out because I was never into scary games, but Doom 3 really pulled me into its atmosphere, something video gamesNot sure why this game has a mixed or average 7.3 as a user score and only an 87. This is by far one of the best survival horror games I have ever played. The game looks like a 2010 title yet its only a 2004 one. I never really paid much attention to Doom 3 when it first came out because I was never into scary games, but Doom 3 really pulled me into its atmosphere, something video games rarely do to me let alone one made nine years ago. Some silly design choices like not being able to hold a flashlight and a gun at the same time and a lack of enemy variety are some of the flaws this game has, but nevertheless is an amazing title. I hope this franchise's future is still intact, I really want to see Doom 4 on Id Tech 5. Expand
  23. Nov 13, 2011
    Trapped on that Hellish world known as Mars, which is in fact, under siege by the forces of hell, Doom guy finds himself in a bit of a pickle; all of the his companions are dead, and he has a machine gun. Getting right down to the point, Doom 3 is a great game, even with present day games, I find it harder and harder to find a game that has great action, and one that is also a challenge,Trapped on that Hellish world known as Mars, which is in fact, under siege by the forces of hell, Doom guy finds himself in a bit of a pickle; all of the his companions are dead, and he has a machine gun. Getting right down to the point, Doom 3 is a great game, even with present day games, I find it harder and harder to find a game that has great action, and one that is also a challenge, and Doom 3 was quite challenging. The story for Doom 3, it wasn't bad, but it certainly doesn't stand out , but you don't really play Doom for the story, you play it to kill demons! This is a game where monsters are plentiful, but medpacks are not, a game that makes you fight for any kind of reward, with no regenerating health. However, This is not a horror game, although the developers wanted to put a horror twist into the game, when it comes right down to it, not everyone will be scared by this game, although I sure was, this game kept me tense most of the way through, and although I could predict a few scares, it just depends on what scares you. All i can say is, this is a great shooter, and although the enemy AI has it's flaws, the large amount of enemy variety has always kept this game fresh for me, I would highly recommend Doom 3 for anyone who wants a fun and addictive shooter game. The game does make me a bit mad that you have to beat the game in order to unlock the night mare difficulty. but what ever : P Expand
  24. Nov 23, 2012
    I have to be honest. DOOM3 BEST GAME EVER AND YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW NOT READING MY REVIEW ARE YOU STUPID WHY AM I WRITING THIS REVIEW I HAVE TO GO PLAY DOOM3 100000000000000000/10 GAME AT LEAST THE GRAPHICS REALLY PLEASURE MY EYES AND THE SOUND MAKES ME CRY FROM HAPPINESS GAMEPLAY GOT MY SOUL ITS AWESOME. ANOTHER SUCCESS FROM id software, our creator and ruler. AND YES THIS ISI have to be honest. DOOM3 BEST GAME EVER AND YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW NOT READING MY REVIEW ARE YOU STUPID WHY AM I WRITING THIS REVIEW I HAVE TO GO PLAY DOOM3 100000000000000000/10 GAME AT LEAST THE GRAPHICS REALLY PLEASURE MY EYES AND THE SOUND MAKES ME CRY FROM HAPPINESS GAMEPLAY GOT MY SOUL ITS AWESOME. ANOTHER SUCCESS FROM id software, our creator and ruler. AND YES THIS IS SCARY AS HELL! GOT IT? HELL?? heha Expand
  25. Nov 14, 2011
    I won't say it's a Game of the Year, but definitely worth to play. Great atmosphere and sound effect make every dark corner a source of fear. The graphic was outstanding even by today's standard. I love how it feel and sound when I use my shotgun to kill a devil, very satisfying. This was some id's classical great work during the old days and must give a try.
  26. Sep 30, 2013
    Linear game, with stunning visuals, and good weapons/monsters, and with acceptable story.
    So linear, and sometimes so boring, but for some reason, it keeps me hooked, and calls me back to play all over again.
  27. Jun 12, 2011
    Good shooter, unfortunetly sometimes too hard, which leads you to play same level 50 times. It create awsome atmosphere of dark and scary Mars base with monsters and other mysteries. Graphics is good, with awsome shading and shadows, as well models. Unfortunetly often textures are of poor quality. It is also unacassarly too linear, if there is any non-linearity, then if you choise one ofGood shooter, unfortunetly sometimes too hard, which leads you to play same level 50 times. It create awsome atmosphere of dark and scary Mars base with monsters and other mysteries. Graphics is good, with awsome shading and shadows, as well models. Unfortunetly often textures are of poor quality. It is also unacassarly too linear, if there is any non-linearity, then if you choise one of the way, you will definietly will need to go back and go using "good" path, somehow stupid. Expand
  28. May 9, 2014
    Gory, Dark, Demonic themes, Scary enough, Great graphics for it´s time but still being good to date and a good enemies design, perfect for a true FPS survival horror experience.
  29. Sep 29, 2011
    One of my favorite semi-classic FPS. First off, it's id software, the engine they have created is perfect. Unified shadows, and a new Doom. Beaufitul, period.
  30. Nov 3, 2011
    Good Doom action, lenghty game (over 20 hours). The action gets exhaustive later in the game, there's too little varying, seeing same kind of corridors over and over again. Still, I enjoyed this game but it does lack those memorable moments you always remember afterwards like some parts of HL.
  31. Dec 12, 2010
    After replaying this game, it has stricken me yet again just how masterful id Software is at crafting no-excuses video games. They took a simply story, tried and true since 1993, and crafted such a fantastically detailed, depressingly immersive world around it that you will understand exactly why the pioneer of the modern video game experience spent a full five years working on it. A lotAfter replaying this game, it has stricken me yet again just how masterful id Software is at crafting no-excuses video games. They took a simply story, tried and true since 1993, and crafted such a fantastically detailed, depressingly immersive world around it that you will understand exactly why the pioneer of the modern video game experience spent a full five years working on it. A lot of soul was poured into this game, with expansive, breathtaking, claustrophobic levels that clock in at nearly a day's worth of playtime -- not something that can be said of the shooters of 2010.

While the antics of a deranged scientist might not be all that deep an contemplative, and while the scares might sometimes come across as cheap and closet-popping, the action for the last two-thirds of the game is absolutely frantic and paced very much like the Doom we all loved, while the demonic invasion pulls you in with no apologies for its themes. From the poorly-lit blood-soaked halls of the Delta Labs, to the awe-inspiring swathes of Martian landscape traversed on the Monorail, to the distinctly otherplanar and highly disturbing realm of Hell itself, there truly is no substitute for the world Doom 3 pulls you into with the crushing grip of a Hellknight.

If you use a flashlight mod for your weapons, or complain about the stifling darkness of the locales, you really are missing the point. This is Mars, suffering a demonic invasion. If you want a well-lit seizure-inducing action-packed experience, the Call of Duty series might be for you. For the rest of us, this dark, disturbing romp will suffice.
  32. Feb 21, 2014
    A great game even after a decade its a timeless master piece. If your looking for a good fun adventure with tons of violence gore and exploration. The story isn't good but the game sure is and for a cheap price of just ten dollars its worth it.
  33. May 13, 2016
    Doom 3 was far ahead of it's time. I enjoyed it a lot, even replaying it was fun. It has a great survival horror atmosphere, great map designs , great plot , great optimization that let it run on my celeron back in 2004. I still own the box and it's one of my favorite game of all time, I like it more than 90s doom.
  34. Sep 21, 2010
    Awesome visuals, terrifying environment make it the best horror FPS game till date. Darkness in the game is just perfect to engross you. The game also has a great repeat value.
  35. Sep 19, 2011
    The first couple of levels scared me a bit. But then the game just dragged on. All of the environments look the same, the guns feel akward, and the scares just turn silly. Also, if your going to make a game where it is incredibly dark, be sure to add night vision, not a flash light that you have to hold instead of a weapon.
  36. Oct 7, 2013
    A masterpiece. Deep atmosphere and immersion. You play the role of a space marine as you investigate some serious problems going on in mars base. The AI is brutal and the terrain can be confusing but that is just a test of your survival capabilities. I hope you have good reflexes.
  37. Aug 7, 2014
    This game is the **** **** 8/8 m8 .
  38. Sep 7, 2015
    Graphics Revolution in 2003, Beautiful soundtrack in main menu, amazing animation and sound effects. Today I'm waiting for new DOOM (4).
    I want recommend for all gamers.
  39. May 31, 2014
    Regardless of its repetetive nature, this is the only game I have ever played that gave me a scare... in broad daylight... in a room full of people... The atmosphere makes up for other less competent parts of the game.
  40. D.Railer
    Aug 6, 2004
    Awesome graphics, an interesting story so far... realistic lighting... most of it is wonderful. Major kudos on the computer screen interfaces, my jaw has been on the floor for many levels. But a couple odd "game" rules interfere with the sense of... say... fairness. id has always been the king of cheap attacks, since Quake 2... closets/cubby holes for bad guys... ridiculous! The same Awesome graphics, an interesting story so far... realistic lighting... most of it is wonderful. Major kudos on the computer screen interfaces, my jaw has been on the floor for many levels. But a couple odd "game" rules interfere with the sense of... say... fairness. id has always been the king of cheap attacks, since Quake 2... closets/cubby holes for bad guys... ridiculous! The same thing happens here... I wouldn't even mind it if the bad guys came THROUGH the walls because they are "ghosts" or when they teleport in; grates lift up in floor? Perfect! But the idea that a creature from hell invaded the base and found a secret closet to hide in? Ridiculous. Also, why can't I duct tape my flashlight to my gun; hell, why isn't there a flashlight built into my gun? This is the future right? "It's for the sense of desparation we want you to feel." Yace, yace. Expand
  41. Ronin
    Aug 14, 2004
    This game rules. the graphics are good, the shadows and the creatures that come out own. when you get hit you feel like your getting hit...bringing you more into the game. easy gameplay. and for all you haters out there you probably have a crap computer or you just suck.
  42. KarlD.
    Aug 3, 2004
    Great graphics engine, great sound and awesome atmosphere. But what about some innovation in gameplay?
  43. OrhanI.
    Aug 4, 2004
    I think the guy who gave zero points to the game is someone from Valve or Crytek :).
  44. JohnM.
    Aug 5, 2004
    Cant believe sooo many people dont get the game, its classic Doom but 100 times better. How anyone can say it gets boring is beyond me, this game is the best FPS to come out in years, probably since half-life. The action is none stop plus the story gets driven by the PDA system brilliantly, I cant get enough of this game so far and I'm sure that mods that come out for it will be just Cant believe sooo many people dont get the game, its classic Doom but 100 times better. How anyone can say it gets boring is beyond me, this game is the best FPS to come out in years, probably since half-life. The action is none stop plus the story gets driven by the PDA system brilliantly, I cant get enough of this game so far and I'm sure that mods that come out for it will be just as good. Expand
  45. AndrewW.
    Aug 7, 2004
    This game is the epitome of a FPS. It is perfect in every way. The graphics are insane, it has the best single player campaign ever in a shooter, and 32 online deathmatchs kick major butt. Best shooter ever, possibly even best game.
  46. D.Q.
    Aug 7, 2004
    I amped up my machine for this game and it's worth it. I was blown away by the graphics, it's like actually being in there and that's 10x scarier than anything. When a game with this kind of evil pulls you right into it, it's definitely unsettling to say the least. I've been really limiting myself on when and how I play it. I only do a level per night and I go as I amped up my machine for this game and it's worth it. I was blown away by the graphics, it's like actually being in there and that's 10x scarier than anything. When a game with this kind of evil pulls you right into it, it's definitely unsettling to say the least. I've been really limiting myself on when and how I play it. I only do a level per night and I go as slow as humanly possible to let my nerves get the full load of adrenaline and terror that each corner, closed door and hidden place where evil lurks provides. I was surprised with the story, it's like being dropped right in there, I wasn't ready to be so immersed in this kind of world. Expand
  47. JohnnyJ.
    Aug 9, 2004
    Perfect, absolutely flawless, stunning, and gruesome, excellent job id, well worth the wait.
  48. RobertB.
    Feb 2, 2008
    Easily the best game for its time.
  49. DazX
    Jan 10, 2010
    Scary, fun, José Luccioni on french voiceovers (xD), I can't think of anything bad in this game. I never met any bug, glitch or anything. The game's beautiful, even nowadays, AND fun as hell.
  50. KestasK
    Jan 4, 2010
    First time I saw the demo it seemed like more of a tech demo than an actual game, but I recently got it cheap and decided to give it an honest go. It is produced very well, the story isn't just an excuse for the game to happen but is done very well. "Hell breaks loose on a Mars research outpost" sounds cliche, but they really run with it. It is scary, but only in the way Doom I&II First time I saw the demo it seemed like more of a tech demo than an actual game, but I recently got it cheap and decided to give it an honest go. It is produced very well, the story isn't just an excuse for the game to happen but is done very well. "Hell breaks loose on a Mars research outpost" sounds cliche, but they really run with it. It is scary, but only in the way Doom I&II were. The gameplay, enemies, and weapons are all very much like previous Doom games, as is the level design. The basic concepts behind Doom have been hugely modernized, some extras added to enrich the story, but really it's Doom gameplay executed brilliantly for mid-late 2000s hardware. If that appeals to you you should have already checked it out by now, if it doesn't then avoid, but either way this doesn't deserve the people who say this is just a tech demo, it really is a proper game. Expand
  51. MaxH.
    Dec 10, 2004
    Very good and good graphics.
  52. iHam
    Aug 14, 2004
    This is easily one of the best FPSs to date. A nice retelling of the original two, with all of the shinies that simply weren't possible in 1992. Anyone who dislikes this game yet holds the older two in high esteem is shamefully disconnected with the very concepts that make the games great. I have heard people complain about not being able to have a gun out while using the flashlight. This is easily one of the best FPSs to date. A nice retelling of the original two, with all of the shinies that simply weren't possible in 1992. Anyone who dislikes this game yet holds the older two in high esteem is shamefully disconnected with the very concepts that make the games great. I have heard people complain about not being able to have a gun out while using the flashlight. Also, that its 'claustrophobic', and that the gameplay is too linear, the contrast is too high, etc... These are how the original games were, just in case you forgot. Dark and scary. No gun while you've got your flashlight out? Nothing like feeling vulnerable while tip toeing through a pitch black corridor... its all supposed to (at least) try to scare you. And quite honestly, if this game doesn't make you jump, pull your legs out from under the desk, or get the willies, or even think twice before opening a door, then you have been desensitized beyond the point where anything but the real thing can please you. see you in 20 years... You are all entitled to your opinions. Its just some of your opinions happen to be wrong and invalid. Expand
  53. Mr.Somebody
    Aug 14, 2004
    Okay...okay. All of you who have nothing better to do than complain about stuff can just shut it. This isn't the best game you'll ever play; I still have high hopes for HL2. However, this doesn't mean you can compare Doom to games like that and FarCry!! Id made the FPS genre!!! I believe "DXO" said that the beginning was ripped from Half-Life. Um...this game is a REMAKE of Okay...okay. All of you who have nothing better to do than complain about stuff can just shut it. This isn't the best game you'll ever play; I still have high hopes for HL2. However, this doesn't mean you can compare Doom to games like that and FarCry!! Id made the FPS genre!!! I believe "DXO" said that the beginning was ripped from Half-Life. Um...this game is a REMAKE of one from the EARLY 90s!!! If anything, Half-Life ripped from Doom!!!!! Others said this was "lacking innovation," "scripted," and "claustrophobic." Some complain that there's no built-in flashlights, and the one you carry forces you to be weaponless while using it. And still more complain about it being too dark. ...You know why??!?! Because all of this is meant for the player to have the CRAP SCARED OUT OF HIM!!!!!! And I believe that complaining about a base on MARS being "claustrophobic" is like complaining about the international space station not having a large reception room with couches and a television!! It wouldn't be practical! Besides, if there were large, shiny rooms everywhere with a dozen monsters in each, no computer on EARTH would be able to run this game aside from teh ones used by the five richest Kings of Europe or something. So play the game and have fun killing mindlessly. Otherwise, go play something else and smile some. You know, 'cause the zombie behind you is gonna rip off your lips. Expand
  54. JeffB.
    Aug 18, 2004
    I am pretty satisfied with the single player action. I think it's almost a little too dark all the time though. It's ok to have some darkness, but I'm not having too much fun being permanently attached to the flashlight. The multiplayer topic though...pretty unforgiveable. In a world where online play is critical to a FPS's survival, it's lucky for Doom that they I am pretty satisfied with the single player action. I think it's almost a little too dark all the time though. It's ok to have some darkness, but I'm not having too much fun being permanently attached to the flashlight. The multiplayer topic though...pretty unforgiveable. In a world where online play is critical to a FPS's survival, it's lucky for Doom that they hyped it up so well. The multiplayer is pretty pathetic. I'm sure that there are patches that will come out and new kinds of servers that will arise, but it's almost insulting to be forced to buy such a crappy multiplayer game ...isn't this supposed to be a "blockbuster"? Expand
  55. Tybo
    Aug 2, 2004
    Simply the most atmospheric game ever! a must buy!
  56. PatrickO.
    Aug 3, 2004
    This game rocks! I've never been scared playing a video game before, but this game will make me afraid to go to bed tonight. Monsters jumping out from any and everywhere is one thing we are all familiar with, but hearing the constant screams of hapless victims over the comlink and oh so realistic graphics of this game makes this the scariest game of all time! Cool stuff!!!! The only This game rocks! I've never been scared playing a video game before, but this game will make me afraid to go to bed tonight. Monsters jumping out from any and everywhere is one thing we are all familiar with, but hearing the constant screams of hapless victims over the comlink and oh so realistic graphics of this game makes this the scariest game of all time! Cool stuff!!!! The only downside I see is that the gameplay of running and gunning can get a bit tiring. But that's what Doom is about, right? Expand
  57. Fabre
    Aug 3, 2004
    Higly overrated in my opinion, No real innovation, sadly it is only like the title suggest Doom II with better graphics. Had more Fun playing Far Cry. I give it a 8 for the beauty and for keeping me busy while I wait for Half-Life 2.
  58. PoteD.
    Aug 4, 2004
    1? 0? Honestly, I don't know who these people think they are kidding. It might sound intelligent to speak of a lack of gameplay and of the critics lauding the game on a superficial basis, but it sure doesn't when what you're claiming is absolute backward nonsense. Everything from the design to the pacing to the art direction is positively unbelievable, and you're just 1? 0? Honestly, I don't know who these people think they are kidding. It might sound intelligent to speak of a lack of gameplay and of the critics lauding the game on a superficial basis, but it sure doesn't when what you're claiming is absolute backward nonsense. Everything from the design to the pacing to the art direction is positively unbelievable, and you're just going to sound like the silly, blinded and bitter fool that you are to suggest otherwise. Only a 9 because it takes a game of the scope and spectacle of say...Half-Life ;) to earn a 10. Expand
  59. Kekojones
    Aug 4, 2004
    Great game...it will make ya crap your pants.
  60. B.T.
    Aug 5, 2004
    The last poster gave it a bad score because he has a piece of crap computer. Wow, that's fair. Just because you won't upgrade your PC doesn't mean the game is bad. For the record, Doom 3 may not be innovative, but the incredible level design, atmosphere, and attention to detail make it a very good FPS. Highly recommended.
  61. GregA.
    Aug 5, 2004
    WOW this game is drop dead beautiful. Its just a little too dark and scary for my taste. Can't to wait to play mods and other games based on the great engine.
  62. Lyle
    Aug 6, 2004
    Wow. 9.5 is my real score. What a shooter! I am normally not a fan of straightforward action games. This one I am a big fan of. I'm a hardcore RPG'er normally but I have to say that this game doesn't really need anymore story because it does the things it does so well. I actually think the PDA thing is pretty cool. The atmosphere sucks you in. And bottom line.. IT'S Wow. 9.5 is my real score. What a shooter! I am normally not a fan of straightforward action games. This one I am a big fan of. I'm a hardcore RPG'er normally but I have to say that this game doesn't really need anymore story because it does the things it does so well. I actually think the PDA thing is pretty cool. The atmosphere sucks you in. And bottom line.. IT'S VERY FUN TO PLAY!!! A great experience. Knocked off half a point for fishy AI. Beautiful game ID! Thanks! Expand
  63. Alen44
    Good, but it ain't Halo.
  64. LizaS.45
    Aug 6, 2004
    Made all the less impressive by the graphics crown already belonging to the excellent Far Cry.
  65. MarcW.
    Aug 8, 2004
    The single most beautiful game I have ever played. The presentation level for this game is so astoundingly high...you won't be able to look any other game without feeling strangely empty. The sound is solid and the menus sport a degree of polish which is close to the standard of visuals. However, the gameplay simply is too linear and isn't innovative in the way games such as The single most beautiful game I have ever played. The presentation level for this game is so astoundingly high...you won't be able to look any other game without feeling strangely empty. The sound is solid and the menus sport a degree of polish which is close to the standard of visuals. However, the gameplay simply is too linear and isn't innovative in the way games such as Half-Life was. Overall though, this is the best single player 1st person shooter of the year. A milestone in the evolution of games from a technical standpoint. Expand
  66. AaronG.
    Aug 9, 2004
    Doom III is essentially doom with better graphics. Period! Yes the lighting engine makes the game spookier, but with the ability to save your game every 5 sec., there is no sense of danger and no sense of OH CRAP when you die. What REALLY bothers me is how professional review sights are gushing over the graphics. Yes the game has the best character models ever, but the environmental Doom III is essentially doom with better graphics. Period! Yes the lighting engine makes the game spookier, but with the ability to save your game every 5 sec., there is no sense of danger and no sense of OH CRAP when you die. What REALLY bothers me is how professional review sights are gushing over the graphics. Yes the game has the best character models ever, but the environmental textures are AWFUL. Try walking up to a wall or console. It looks workse than the original unreal tournament engine. Far Cry was a far superior game in terms of AI, gameplay, and even humor. The trigents freaked me out more than anything Doom 3 offered up because dying actually had consequences. AND while the character models aren't as good, the environment in Far Cry was infinitely superior. The fact that Doom III got a higher rating than Far Cry is just more proof that most reviewers are not doing their job. If you want more proof, just look at the reviews of Master of Orion III (which came out broken and was getting 9's and 10's). Expand
  67. LordYupa
    Aug 9, 2004
    ID invented FPS and somehow got lost within its own skills. An excellent engine that is the most advanced tech-demo ever seen (until now) wraps the game that we all played more than 10 years ago. I have the deepest admiration for Carmack team achievements and they deserve respect. But simply they doesn't know anything about gameplay. Somebody should give them a GBA or gamecube as a ID invented FPS and somehow got lost within its own skills. An excellent engine that is the most advanced tech-demo ever seen (until now) wraps the game that we all played more than 10 years ago. I have the deepest admiration for Carmack team achievements and they deserve respect. But simply they doesn't know anything about gameplay. Somebody should give them a GBA or gamecube as a present. I give a 8 because Doom3 will push other publishers with great ideas to use THIS very technology to present their new products. The Doom heritage. Expand
  68. Chimp
    Sep 19, 2004
    First of all, let me point out that most people have this idea of doom 3 of being some amazing game that requires nothing less than a pentium 4 with a geforce 6800 or whatever to run on high settings with a good framerate. On my 2.0ghz amd athlon xp with 512 ram and a geforceFX5700(all of that didnt cost more than $500) it runs great on high setting with 1024 res. OK but now onto the First of all, let me point out that most people have this idea of doom 3 of being some amazing game that requires nothing less than a pentium 4 with a geforce 6800 or whatever to run on high settings with a good framerate. On my 2.0ghz amd athlon xp with 512 ram and a geforceFX5700(all of that didnt cost more than $500) it runs great on high setting with 1024 res. OK but now onto the game. Yes, yes, the graphics and sound is amazing. And i mean AMAZING. the shadows and reflections, the textures, the demonic howls and everything else really feels like your there. the atmosphere is great, and the many dark rooms are really cool at first, but then they do start getting a bit annoying. and yes if youre just the type of gamer who wants to walk through the game and take in the sights and sounds, too bad. even on easy enemies take several bullets to go down. the normal hand to hand zombies are easy, but once you start fighting faster, ranged enemies, it will get quite hard if your not experienced with shooters, especially since its so often hard to see. if youre used to shooters its not gonna give you to many headaches. but i think the developers should of put in a very easy setting for people who just want to see the game, not have to worry about getting shot in the dark every five seconds. Expand
  69. Id
    Sep 23, 2004
    Man this is one scary game. play it with the lights off and the sound up at night otherwise its pointless. very well executed but can be too dark and easy difficulty is too hard for "easy," it should be normal and there should be an even easier difficutly.
  70. BarryC.
    Sep 6, 2004
    It's doom, what more can you say. some people obviously wanted more than that. the middle gets a bit repetitive i'd have to say but the initial hours of scares and then eventually travelling to hell more than make up for it. i had to laugh at the guy/girl proclaiming "don't believe the hype" and then "roll on duke nukem forever".
  71. AlB.
    May 16, 2005
    Fantastic tense, and in the case of Hell, just plain jaw-droppingly amazing!
  72. JK
    Jul 30, 2005
    Very intense game, full of non-stop action.
  73. AnonymousMC
    Oct 26, 2006
    I give this game a 9. I loved the game very much although it was pretty much liniear (thats why minus 1 point). Monsters and zombies suddenly appear out of dark places scared me the first few times but afterwards you knew that they would be comming but still it still scared me sometimes. Now this is also a reaction too [Anonymous] who said that the only "legitamate" way to beat the game isI give this game a 9. I loved the game very much although it was pretty much liniear (thats why minus 1 point). Monsters and zombies suddenly appear out of dark places scared me the first few times but afterwards you knew that they would be comming but still it still scared me sometimes. Now this is also a reaction too [Anonymous] who said that the only "legitamate" way to beat the game is with an ingame cheat. Well you really DONT need cheats to beat this game and thats a fact. I also want to say something about the storyline since many people are saying its not worked out, not good etc etc. Doom 3 is a remake of Doom 1. And as most people know, Doom 1 didnt had much of a story line. But most people loved that game and so did I. Doom 3 doesnt have much as a storyline aswell but its defenitly better than the one from Doom 1. Expand
  74. ElfrancheT.
    Jun 10, 2006
    A legend among suspense games. The cold, Sci-Fi decors are well done. Lots of detail. Above average monster design. Nice when played slowly and undisturbed.
  75. DonG.
    Sep 29, 2006
    Loved it! Graphics are great!
  76. WilliamT.
    Nov 9, 2007
    While it lacks most of the crazy blastiness that its forefathers so rightly hold, Doom 3 is still a game you should invest in. Not particulary scary or innovative but when you are shooting demons from Hell, it doesn't have to be.
  77. TomG.
    May 6, 2007
    After 10 years of nothing but Quake, and Hexen releases from id Software, they perfect the tricks of the trade, and pump out Doom 3. The level of quality put into their graphics engine is just incredible, with the bump mapping, specular highlights, and the shadowing system, which is superior to F.E.A.R.'s, in that when you shine your light on the corner of an object, it casts a After 10 years of nothing but Quake, and Hexen releases from id Software, they perfect the tricks of the trade, and pump out Doom 3. The level of quality put into their graphics engine is just incredible, with the bump mapping, specular highlights, and the shadowing system, which is superior to F.E.A.R.'s, in that when you shine your light on the corner of an object, it casts a shadow, unlike F.E.A.R. The weapon effects are downright perfect, and does a damn good job of revitalizing an aging franchise. Expand
  78. FrikaseeJ.
    Aug 10, 2007
    I'd just like to step in and save the day for Doom 3. Those of you giving this a crappy score obviously have no idea what doom is. Doom was created back in th 90's for the sole purpose of running around and shooting demons. We never asked Doom for a good storline, just for bigger guns. Just shutup and enjoy killing things on your gruesome crusade through a well-designed Hell. I'd just like to step in and save the day for Doom 3. Those of you giving this a crappy score obviously have no idea what doom is. Doom was created back in th 90's for the sole purpose of running around and shooting demons. We never asked Doom for a good storline, just for bigger guns. Just shutup and enjoy killing things on your gruesome crusade through a well-designed Hell. Also, for you absolute morons who whined about the lack of a sniper rifle... What!?! What are you gonna do? Zoom in on the fine hairs of the demons as they charge for you. There was no distance, it was all in your face fun. Expand
  79. SomeBody
    Aug 10, 2007
    This is awesome! I'm a hardcore fan of the DooM series, and I think this lives up to that legacy. I couldn't care less if it was "revolutionary", because a game could have ultra-new crap and still suck (look at Halo :() A fun romp.
  80. MatthewB.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Damn fun game. One of the creepiest atmospheres ever in a video game.
  81. JakeC.
    Aug 4, 2007
    Perhaps one of the best games i have ever played doom goes all the way.
  82. NateM.
    Aug 7, 2007
    Linear, but true to the doom series. Absolutely beautiful graphics, Intense gameplay, and scary to boot. Id has held true to the original series and then some, with a new installment. Anyone who has given this game an 7 or below is either opinionated, stupid, or flame bait.
  83. MichaelO.
    Jul 15, 2008
    If you like Scary game this game is for YOU It will scare the living out of you.
  84. abcdef
    Jan 6, 2009
    OK this a more a review on these user reviews than Doom 3. First I think I should clear up a few things, as many of these user reviews are entirely wrong. So wrong in fact that it seems as if they've played another game, couldn't remember its name and then for some reason come to the conclusion that the game that they played was called Doom 3. For example, Andy D mentions a OK this a more a review on these user reviews than Doom 3. First I think I should clear up a few things, as many of these user reviews are entirely wrong. So wrong in fact that it seems as if they've played another game, couldn't remember its name and then for some reason come to the conclusion that the game that they played was called Doom 3. For example, Andy D mentions a level where you go to heaven and become an angel. Don't know what he's talking about as there's no such level. Benjamin L mentions a gravity gun. That's in the game's expansion pack and not in the game itself. He also complains that there's only one boss in the entire game, which is ridiculous considering that there's 4 very distinct bosses and some encounters which can be considered mini-boss battles. The list of inaccuracies goes on, as people who claim to have only played the game for 15 minutes reckon they can review it. I reckon it takes a while to really get into any game. Doom 3 is a very repetitive and basic FPS and it's not all that scary but it does have an eerie and tense environment and some very good moments. Most Doom fans wanted to see their favourite child hood game remade and that's exactly what ID have done and they've accomplished this very well. It allows fans to play the original Doom games but now it looks and plays much better. If Doom 3 had an extensive plot and a set of new weapons all with alternative ammo and firing modes it still would have been canned by gamers for destroying the Doom franchise. If you gave this game a 0 its because you don't like FPS horror survival games...so if you're not a fan of the genre why are you playing and reviewing this game. If you are fan of this genre and gave it a 0 then there's something wrong considering that this is much more fun than most horror survival FPS' and has a far simpler plot than all the others which attempt stories which are usually convoluted or undeveloped, like F.E.A.R or Condemned. Expand
  85. DavidS.
    Oct 7, 2009
    You know, I didn't pay full price for this game, so maybe my opinion is biased, but I'm actually having quite a lot of fun. It's not Penumbra: Overture terrifying, but the atmosphere is tense. The weapons aren't anything terribly unique, but they are actually quite well designed with nice little details (for instance, the SMG will leave smoke hovering in the air if You know, I didn't pay full price for this game, so maybe my opinion is biased, but I'm actually having quite a lot of fun. It's not Penumbra: Overture terrifying, but the atmosphere is tense. The weapons aren't anything terribly unique, but they are actually quite well designed with nice little details (for instance, the SMG will leave smoke hovering in the air if fired for an extended period of time). The actual action was, in my opinion, very fun and visceral. Although more destructible environments would have been a plus, and corpses staying on the ground after dying would have been nice too, I think I actually prefer the combat in Doom 3 to the combat in FEAR (yes, I said it). If you want an experience more akin to the original Dooms, pick up the amazing game 'Painkiller'. But if you want an evolved version of Doom, this is a great game to play. Expand
  86. MattB.
    Oct 19, 2004
    Great graphics, great sound, great atmosphere, great story. Enough said.
  87. Passive
    Dec 2, 2004
    The most graphically accoomplished game ever, a real treat for people who want to die (of claustrophobia, fear, heart attack, etc.). This game's all about the atmosphere, not much to say about the gamelay except 'normal', lets see what the expansion pack has in store for us.
  88. Signal
    Aug 12, 2004
    Like everyone else has said so far: Amazing graphics, but basically the same as Doom 2. Only this time, instead of randomly running around a map until you find the exit, this game will guide you from point to point through a series of scripted events that unfold the plot. Also, about half the time you will be in complete darkness using your flashlight to light the way (this may be a turn Like everyone else has said so far: Amazing graphics, but basically the same as Doom 2. Only this time, instead of randomly running around a map until you find the exit, this game will guide you from point to point through a series of scripted events that unfold the plot. Also, about half the time you will be in complete darkness using your flashlight to light the way (this may be a turn off to many gamers). Other than that, the spooky atmosphere they created is amazing and very immersive. Also, it's important to note that graphics resolution is NOT important when playing this game. If the game is playing slowly on your mid-to-upper range system, drop the resolution to 640x480 while keeping all the other graphic options turned on. Trust me, the game will still look AMAZING. Or better yet, just hit the button that lets the game scan your hardware and determine the best settings FOR you. Expand
  89. Abdullah
    Aug 13, 2004
    Great game. Good sound effects and the best grafix on earth. Wasnt that scary. A must buy for all the FPS fans.
  90. HanMan
    Aug 13, 2004
    Anyone who's reading this is obviously considering to buy this game. Now its this simple...Buy it. You have never played a game that looks like this before. It has to be played to be believed. That's reason 1. Reson 2: This is Doom for chrissake!! Just buy it. It's a great game with some amazing Design and programming to boot. Dont compare this game to Far Cry or Half Life. Anyone who's reading this is obviously considering to buy this game. Now its this simple...Buy it. You have never played a game that looks like this before. It has to be played to be believed. That's reason 1. Reson 2: This is Doom for chrissake!! Just buy it. It's a great game with some amazing Design and programming to boot. Dont compare this game to Far Cry or Half Life. ID created this genre. Expand
  91. BatmanMonkey
    Aug 14, 2004
    "Ok, Europe speaking. Got this game 5 hours ago. After reading the US reviews i thought this could not be a bad purchase! Want to hear more? I can hardly control my frustration and whipe this horrible game of me disk. It has the same visual qualities as the orignal Unreal game! But only after you pay 2000 $$$ for hardware! Otherwise, it is just has the same visual level as the original "Ok, Europe speaking. Got this game 5 hours ago. After reading the US reviews i thought this could not be a bad purchase! Want to hear more? I can hardly control my frustration and whipe this horrible game of me disk. It has the same visual qualities as the orignal Unreal game! But only after you pay 2000 $$$ for hardware! Otherwise, it is just has the same visual level as the original Unreal. Do your purse a favour and buy the original Unreal for 2 bucks! " Either Europe doesnt have good graphic cards or a good version of Doom 3...or you are BLIND or have completely screwed up eyes Unreal and Unreal 2 suck!!!!!!!! but Unreal tournaments are cool... Expand
  92. HarmLokesz
    Aug 16, 2004
    After a weekend of tuning I feel the need to explain the rather negative review I posted before. 1) This game is build on OpenGL graphics and seems to be more demanding on your processor for presenting graphics. 2) ATI was the second choice graphics card for the developers. The first evening I started the game on its recommended settings my P4 1.5 ( 512RIMM) and ATI 9600XT could not After a weekend of tuning I feel the need to explain the rather negative review I posted before. 1) This game is build on OpenGL graphics and seems to be more demanding on your processor for presenting graphics. 2) ATI was the second choice graphics card for the developers. The first evening I started the game on its recommended settings my P4 1.5 ( 512RIMM) and ATI 9600XT could not deliver a decent game, no matter what I tried. I had terrible frame rates AND the visual presentation was sad. One could say that a 'new generation' game should have offered more help by its manual. Tweakcom.com published a great guide with which I corrected the problems at my computer and now I am able to enjoy the game as it was intended! I am about halfway the game now and brings on memories of good old times. It just gives the same emotions as the first FPS I once played long ago: Quake 1. This must be a 10 in the category of First Person Shooters. I dont think this game should be recommended to everyone. Not the whole world is full of passionate diabolics. As I see it now I personally would rate it between 8 and 9. (I posted a 10 as compensation for the negative earlier rating, not that I am afraid of Batman, but the corners ARE a bit dark the last few days.) Expand
  93. Zamp
    Aug 19, 2004
    First experience with Doom3 was amazing, the graphics, the excitement, nice fantasy that humankind has bases on Mars. But :P after hour playing or so i noticed that doom3 is just repetitive 'shoot n load' game. Flaslight and the darkness are very nice add though in my opinion. 8 because its still quite damn exciting and beautiful game.
  94. Madmax
    Aug 3, 2004
    Amazing the cutscenes are amazing you are in them like its a movie, awesome 10/10 can't be beaten. hl1 move over there's a new king DOOM3.
  95. EviLAnGeL
    Aug 4, 2004
    I have never played a game before that has literally made me get a chill down my spine or goosebumps on my arms. Maybe the gameplay doesn't offer anything all that new but the graphics, sound, artwork, animations, lighting, environments etc etc are all second to none. It all combines to give you a feeling of depth and immersion that I've never had in any game before. Especially I have never played a game before that has literally made me get a chill down my spine or goosebumps on my arms. Maybe the gameplay doesn't offer anything all that new but the graphics, sound, artwork, animations, lighting, environments etc etc are all second to none. It all combines to give you a feeling of depth and immersion that I've never had in any game before. Especially if you play it at a high res with the highest settings with AA AF and on and 5.1 surround setup and in the dark. Very scary stuff. Expand
  96. BobP.
    Aug 4, 2004
    A good game, but nothing revolutionary, as its been hyped to be. The graphics, level design, and sound work together wonderfully. Its a single player game (I dont count 4-player multiplayer deathmatch) - Comparing it to something like hl, which has lead multiplayer gaming for years, just doesnt make sense. Try Far Cry. The engine is inferior to that in parts (no vast outdoors, vehicles, A good game, but nothing revolutionary, as its been hyped to be. The graphics, level design, and sound work together wonderfully. Its a single player game (I dont count 4-player multiplayer deathmatch) - Comparing it to something like hl, which has lead multiplayer gaming for years, just doesnt make sense. Try Far Cry. The engine is inferior to that in parts (no vast outdoors, vehicles, ai teamwork), and better in others (lighting, more pixel shaders and other effects). 15 hours of mediocre gameplay with pretty graphics and sound worth the price? Though the sound and level design are second to none, Undying was more frightening to me. Expand
  97. CJRAPiD
    Aug 4, 2004
    ANYONE marking this game under a 9 is TOTALLY missing the point of this STUNNiNGLY visual masterpiece. It is a valuable textbook lesson on creating damned good - solid gameplay and totally immersive atmosphere in every way. From its water tight level design, (who needs 30 miles of expansive lush exteriors when DOOM 3 captivates that essential immersive experience within its TOTALLY ANYONE marking this game under a 9 is TOTALLY missing the point of this STUNNiNGLY visual masterpiece. It is a valuable textbook lesson on creating damned good - solid gameplay and totally immersive atmosphere in every way. From its water tight level design, (who needs 30 miles of expansive lush exteriors when DOOM 3 captivates that essential immersive experience within its TOTALLY claustrophobic environments) to its sound design - which captivates the most cinematic feel I have ever heard in a game. The whole thing adds up to the finest single player and shockingly scary gaming experience ever. Its almost like being actually IN "ALIENS" the movie! Terrifyingly sweet! =) Expand
  98. BryanJ.
    Aug 4, 2004
    It does everything I expected it to do, and @ 800x600 it still looks amazing. I hope they make an AvP game with this engine. For everyone that's giving it 1's and 0's, I have to say I don't think you are being fair. Sure, the gameplay hasn't evolved much past the original Doom, but that is part of the appeal IMO. Pure visceral action.
  99. KevinB.
    Aug 5, 2004
    Everyone seems to be confused that this game is nothing but Doom 3. It is *Doom*, and ONLY Doom. It is not a game with incredible sideplots, it is not a game with intricate puzzles, it is not a game with incredible squad-based AI, it is not a game with varying themes. It is simply Doom. You run, you kill, you scream, you gawk at the pretty scenery, you basically do everything you did the Everyone seems to be confused that this game is nothing but Doom 3. It is *Doom*, and ONLY Doom. It is not a game with incredible sideplots, it is not a game with intricate puzzles, it is not a game with incredible squad-based AI, it is not a game with varying themes. It is simply Doom. You run, you kill, you scream, you gawk at the pretty scenery, you basically do everything you did the first time you played the original Doom. Enemies don't exist in real time, they spawn or they pop out of trap walls when you go to pick up that hidden medkit. It's classic Doom, revisited in a most striking manner. 10/10. Expand
  100. AE
    Aug 5, 2004
    8.5 actually the graphics are great and it runs wonderfully, but WHERE is the drama, where is the truly appocalyptic premise, where is even the MUSIC/AI!!!. No problems running it though, even on my 3 year old Rad9700 machine at 'Highest' quality. Actually, downloading the 8/2/04 Ati Beta driver release fixed all initial graphic problems, (which where numerous, but now 8.5 actually the graphics are great and it runs wonderfully, but WHERE is the drama, where is the truly appocalyptic premise, where is even the MUSIC/AI!!!. No problems running it though, even on my 3 year old Rad9700 machine at 'Highest' quality. Actually, downloading the 8/2/04 Ati Beta driver release fixed all initial graphic problems, (which where numerous, but now gone,)I've not since had any problems with the game whatsoever. The main problem with the game is that there really is no story to speak of, no DRAMA, no compelling reason to keep playing other than sheer visuals (don't think Halo, or even Riddick...) I mean Doom II had a way better story line, atleast your actions clearly would decide the fate of the orbiting remainder mankind... and the lack of music, really any kind of dramatic music whatsoever save the 1 title track at the menu, really really detracts from the game as a whole. It feels like a wierd twist of Resident evil and Quake 3, with Max Payne style gameplay. Doom was my favorite game ever until Halo came along. Doom 3 fails to best Halo, or even Quake, frankly EITHER Quake, in single player or (obviously) in multiplayer. Like the graphics, disappointed by the experience as a whole though. Stick to a simpler, clearer, more dramatic plot + Trent Reznor for the music. Oh -and make the enemies way smarter, I was truly inclined to believe they had eaten each other's brains. Expand

1. The graphics are amazing (mind you, even on a mediocre system), the sound is amazing (if you don’t have a 5.1 system yet, consider it), and the game is downright scary.
  2. DOOM 3 smashes through all the hype and delivers a grand slam of action, story, atmosphere, and pure terror.
    So perfectly constructed, so deliciously immersive and downright elegant, that demands for more seem crass. It might not be the very best shooter out there, but it's the more visually stunning and successfully atmospheric than any game we've had the pleasure to play.