8.9

1. Sep 27, 2013
    This is more like an expansion than an actual sequel. However, it still kicks some major demonic Everything they did right in Doom 1, they did again in doom 2, but a 100% better. Better enemies, better visuals, better handling of weapons, better levels, better soundtrack, etc. etc. etc. i.e. Doom 2 rocks!

If I had to make a gripe, I did miss the campaign overview maps that the first

If I had to make a gripe, I did miss the campaign overview maps that the first Doom had. Not really necessary, but I did miss it as I always thought it was a nice touch in the first game.

Overall:
    While I don't really see this as a true sequel, it's still fantastic and die hard fun from start to finish.
  2. Jul 27, 2014
    Doom is (in my own personal opinion) the best first person shooter, or any sort of first person game involving combat, ever made. The puzzle factor is huge in the first two games, and the sequel pretty much improved on everything. Despite being much longer, Doom 2 is a much tamer and easier experience. If you're up for a challenge get the original. If you just wanna shoot stuff up, exploreDoom is (in my own personal opinion) the best first person shooter, or any sort of first person game involving combat, ever made. The puzzle factor is huge in the first two games, and the sequel pretty much improved on everything. Despite being much longer, Doom 2 is a much tamer and easier experience. If you're up for a challenge get the original. If you just wanna shoot stuff up, explore and have crazy fun in both multiplayer and single player (something many games just don't seem to be able to accomplish), go for the sequel. Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    At first, it's kind of funny to see this game with a user score much higher than most newer games made after 2004. Then after a while, you realize that Doom is where it all started. On the tree of FPS games, you see games like Half-Life 2, Black Ops 2, Halo and Battlefield hanging on the higher branches. But when you dig down to the roots, you see Doom, Doom II, 1992 Wolfenstein and hell,At first, it's kind of funny to see this game with a user score much higher than most newer games made after 2004. Then after a while, you realize that Doom is where it all started. On the tree of FPS games, you see games like Half-Life 2, Black Ops 2, Halo and Battlefield hanging on the higher branches. But when you dig down to the roots, you see Doom, Doom II, 1992 Wolfenstein and hell, maybe even Catacomb 3D down there. When you play an old Doom game, you don't just play a classic game, you get a portal of what the gaming world was really like back in the early 90's. Where the graphics didn't matter, if the gameplay was good enough, the game itself was good enough. I don't know any game community that's older than Doom's people still make mods for the game. Perhaps it's just the nostalgia talking, but Doom is just a franchise that can most likely never ever spoil. The classic versions at least. Whether you were around to experience the first Super Mario game ever made, or you became a gamer just 2 years ago, Doom 2 is still good stuff. Nowadays, it might seem super cliche to have a game with demons, miniguns and chainsaws, but after 19 years, the game still tightly holds onto its charm. As expected, I prefer Doom 2 over the first Doom, just because you get the same classic feel, but some nice new extras thrown in that don't overspoil the game. Expand
  4. Jun 10, 2015
    An epic follow up sequel to Doom, this game improves on its prequel by adding more crazier enemies, more insane difficulties, and more mind puzzling levels. New levels include fighting demons in the cities, fighting them in underground labyrinths, and in even unknown darker sections of hell. Even though there aren't any new bosses, or weapons, except for the super shotgun, Doom II stillAn epic follow up sequel to Doom, this game improves on its prequel by adding more crazier enemies, more insane difficulties, and more mind puzzling levels. New levels include fighting demons in the cities, fighting them in underground labyrinths, and in even unknown darker sections of hell. Even though there aren't any new bosses, or weapons, except for the super shotgun, Doom II still keeps the charm and challenging craziness of the prequel. A must play sequel if you want to continue the story from Doom! Expand
  5. Dec 31, 2011
    The ORIGINAL DOOM! Oh my good, DOOM 1! Without all of these stupid Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 4, Doom 5, Doom 6... All I am saying is back in the day, Doom the original was the bomb. I still love it: I have it on my laptop. Sure the graphics suck, but it is so addicting and fun. Plus, it is probably the first FPS ever made. WITHOUT DOOM, THERE WOULD BE NO COD! NO BATTLEFIELD OR HALO, OR WHATEVERThe ORIGINAL DOOM! Oh my good, DOOM 1! Without all of these stupid Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 4, Doom 5, Doom 6... All I am saying is back in the day, Doom the original was the bomb. I still love it: I have it on my laptop. Sure the graphics suck, but it is so addicting and fun. Plus, it is probably the first FPS ever made. WITHOUT DOOM, THERE WOULD BE NO COD! NO BATTLEFIELD OR HALO, OR WHATEVER YOU LIKE THESE DAYS!!!! Expand
  6. Oct 5, 2016
    Doom II isn't easy to define. It is a sequel but, thinking about it, is quite identical to what was the experience of the masterpiece - Doom; maybe Doom II is a "more of the same"... but with some additions which are really fantastic.

Well, the plot of Doom II, picks up right where the first one ended: the doom-guy returns to Earth, only to realize that hell has arrived there, and thus prepares to stop the invasion at his own home once and for all. The story is told through screen text, very pleasant to read, even exciting at times, and I must say that compared to the first chapter, I noticed a slightly better maturity in the telling of the story. Not bad.

As for the gameplay, Doom II meets the perfect mix of "run-and-gun", exploration and skull-key search, violence and enemies in large quantities. There are some new things: the double-barreled shotgun, or "super shotgun", for someone it is a simple and powerful weapon, but in truth it is almost an innovation, in the view of 90s FPS. The super shotgun is simply satisfying, is pure pleasure, gives the feeling of having the force of nature in your hands and inflicts hellish damage. A real plus point. The level of game design is very evolved compared to the first Doom, and the areas in which to move are more complex and more refined. From the point of view of enemies there are some really appreciated new demons, as the Revenant, Hell Knight, Mancubus and Arachnotron... while I personally hated others, as the Pain elemental (very, very annoying), Heavy weapon dude and Arch-vile. Speaking about demons, I noticed in Doom II a quite disproportionate amount of enemies: I finished the game at "Ultra-Violence", and sometimes I could not really believe to the number of enemies that I saw on the screen, making the game too frustrating. Maybe it's my fault, but I don't like the "more enemies = more difficult" philosophy in videogames, and I think it is trivial and a bit stupid. Also with lower difficulty, "Hurt me plenty", boss like Cyberdemon becomes a constant enemy in almost every level, canceling his status as "boss". Nonsense, simply. The challenge with the final boss, Icon of Sin, on the other hand, I really liked it and I found it satisfactory. In essence, however, Doom II is a game much less balanced than the first Doom, and for those who have appreciated the perfect balance of the first chapter, this lack in Doom II is a defect.

From a technical point of view, Doom II is really a "more of the same", as the graphics and the Doom engine are virtually identical to those of the previous chapter, released one year earlier. Not a problem, in fact, it always represents the technological wonder that John Carmack has managed to create in the 90s. The soundtrack instead seemed much newer but still classic and true to Doom, and I liked tracks as "Countdown to Death" and "Running from Evil"; good work by Bobby Prince.

Doom II is a masterpiece, this is out of the question. It has many things that add value to the gameplay and is more refined in level design, however, it has a problem of balance which makes the game challenging but at the same time frustrating. A problem that the first, legendary, Doom had not.

But, especially, Doom II was not the revolution that Doom was. And this is not an opinion.
  7. Nov 14, 2013
    Carmacks and Romeros masterpiece. Ahead of its time. The very first series that got me into First person shooters. It is simple & fun. If the world would go under and someone would ask me what game would i choose to have with me this would be the answer. Midi music from godlike bands like Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, AC/DC and many more just made you addicted. I dont care that people sayCarmacks and Romeros masterpiece. Ahead of its time. The very first series that got me into First person shooters. It is simple & fun. If the world would go under and someone would ask me what game would i choose to have with me this would be the answer. Midi music from godlike bands like Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, AC/DC and many more just made you addicted. I dont care that people say Catacombs or Wolfenstein put shooters into the map. In my eyes this will always be the revolutionary fps game of all time. Expand
  8. Mar 13, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing, even now I can't stop playing it! Its cool music, cool guns, fun shooter mechanics will keep you coming back for more again and again! You can't not like this game, so go out and buy it!
  9. Jul 5, 2011
    this game deserves a 10, back in the day this was the sh*t there was no need for a story just me my gun and some dam demons to kill. Of course that all changed when half-life came out and we could jump and crouch. =p
  10. Oct 4, 2010
    For some it may seem as if it's an expansion pack or an add-on but rest assured this one stands alone, with addictive action, more monsters, more guns (well it's just one gun actually), more power-ups, more terror and most of all: MORE DOOM!!!
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    Oh wow, the memories. This game has become the most successful and widely-modded classic first person shooter ever as far as I can tell, and being in the Zandronum community myself I can say that this game will forever be in the history books of technology. Outstanding for its time, still great fun now, very flexible and fun to work with. a+
  12. Mar 27, 2012
    Best classic ever. This is one of the few games that still stumps me no matter how many times I play it. And the only game to make me scream bloody murder while mowing down a room full of imps (or having a room full of imps appear behind me). This game has hardcore nostalgic value for me, I grew up with this, Wolfenstein, and many games alike; but Doom was always my favorite. The mazes areBest classic ever. This is one of the few games that still stumps me no matter how many times I play it. And the only game to make me scream bloody murder while mowing down a room full of imps (or having a room full of imps appear behind me). This game has hardcore nostalgic value for me, I grew up with this, Wolfenstein, and many games alike; but Doom was always my favorite. The mazes are so complicated and twisted, you never know when you're going to be teleported back to the beginning or in the middle of a room filled to the brim with Imps, Cacodemons, Lost Souls, Chaingunners, or worse... Hell Knights. This game never ceases to get old for me. Expand
  13. Feb 11, 2014
    Reviewing this only with the BRUTAL DOOM-Mod:

With this installed DOOM 1 & 2 easily wipes the floor with all these call-of-cover-based-quick-time-event-trashcans out there! STILL unmatched! EVERYTHING fits perfectly into the delightful gameplay: Fast movement-speed, the weaponry has some PUNCH in it, adrenaline-pumping gameplay and the MOD adds even more to the supreme Guru of
    Reviewing this only with the BRUTAL DOOM-Mod:

STILL unmatched!

EVERYTHING fits perfectly into the delightful gameplay:
    Fast movement-speed,
    the weaponry has some PUNCH in it,
    adrenaline-pumping gameplay

and the MOD adds even more to the supreme Guru of all shooters!
    - Enemies are more aggressive
    - thousand new animations
    - Finishing moves
    - better visuals (oh the eye-candy!)
    - explosions are definitely more devastating
    - gibs and gore everywhere
    - enemies and bulletholes stay in the map. lying scattered around.
    WHAT modern game does have this today?
    Not one comes in my mind!
    - tear the hellspawns a new A*hole together withs some friends in COOP!!!
    -better Sound-design
    -a very active mod-community!

Still unmatched, still playing the hell out of it. And with new content and mega-huge-maps and level-packs (wads) there is no reason for me to play all of these bad ported console-casual-"games".

After playing Doom 1 & 2 with BRUTAL DOOM, all these "modern" casualized Quick-TIme-event-coverbased "Shooters" can take a nap and suck on their thumb!
  14. May 17, 2014
    One of my all time favs. Why anyone would give this less than a 10 is beyond me. They must be retarded or they've picked the wrong game by accident when reviewing. The game is so epic that even today people are still modding like mad, creating maps, making music covers and maintaining large communities. It's more like a religion than a game, like Jedi is to Star Wars fans.
  15. Nov 9, 2011
    User Interface 10/10
    Sounds 10/10
    Music 10/10
  16. Jul 25, 2016
    I played it on SNES, but I couldn't find this release on the list. The first FPS I ever played, similar to the first one of the series, but with some improvements, new features and a bigger campaign. I was at the beginning of my teenage years, and would spend hours lost on its labyrinths. Was an incredible experience at the time.
  17. Dec 12, 2012
    This is a classic game! I remember when I was 5 years old, and I was playing this game :X Such fun I had playing both single-player and multyplayer... I will never forget this period, such memories. Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Blood and Duke Nukem 3D, those were my action games at that time. And Doom, that's just where action games came from. And if people say something bad about this game, isThis is a classic game! I remember when I was 5 years old, and I was playing this game :X Such fun I had playing both single-player and multyplayer... I will never forget this period, such memories. Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Blood and Duke Nukem 3D, those were my action games at that time. And Doom, that's just where action games came from. And if people say something bad about this game, is just because they haven't had the pleasure to play it in 1994-1995. If someone wants to try it with improved graphics, I recommend downloading Doomsday from doomsdayhq website, or ZDoom. From the source ports I've tried, those ones are my favourite! I really hope, if they make a Doom 4, to relate the gameplay to the old ones, not like Doom 3 (which is not bad, a horror game, but not even close to the old ones). Expand
  18. Jul 30, 2016
    Recensione temporanea da sostituire non appena disponibile quella definitiva. Recensione temporanea da sostituire non appena disponibile quella definitiva.
  19. Mar 10, 2012
    Oh my god, DOOM II... This was my first experience ever in the First Person Shooter genre. Before then, I was just a little kid playing minesweeper or solitaire. I was first introduced to this game around age 6, from my grandfather who had bought the game. I remember spending countless hours on his computer playing it. I remember screaming and nearly **** myself when I would open a doorOh my god, DOOM II... This was my first experience ever in the First Person Shooter genre. Before then, I was just a little kid playing minesweeper or solitaire. I was first introduced to this game around age 6, from my grandfather who had bought the game. I remember spending countless hours on his computer playing it. I remember screaming and nearly **** myself when I would open a door and a demon or monster would come out. It was great fun. Though it doesn't hold up too well as a horror game, as compared to the sequel, DOOM 3, it is still an excellent shooter that I can say I still play today, though nowhere near as frequently. This game deserves a playthrough, and its score of a 9, for its amazing gameplay, ambitious use of the pseudo-3D Id Tech 1 engine, and a lengthened campaign, as compared to other games of the time. Expand
  20. May 19, 2013
    This game is great. Its very challenging. You are a marine that needs to take care of business. Very suspenseful with the new versions and runs like a charm on any PC. I would recommend this game!
  21. Sep 22, 2013
    Classic.
    Fun.
    Demon Killing Epicness. What more can you ask for? Even if you do get bored of the original doom there are thousands Literally thousands of mods and add-ons for doom and programs that bring DooM To a modern port like Zandronum, Which allows Multi-player, Graphical enhancements, Mouse aiming, Fully customisable controls, A developer console, Player Set-up and much much
    Classic.
    Fun.
    Demon Killing Epicness.
    What more can you ask for? Even if you do get bored of the original doom there are thousands Literally thousands of mods and add-ons for doom and programs that bring DooM To a modern port like Zandronum, Which allows Multi-player, Graphical enhancements, Mouse aiming, Fully customisable controls, A developer console, Player Set-up and much much more.
    If you have an old copy of doom, you are still in luck, you just need the .WAD file of doom and download zandronum for free and you'll have Hours...no, Days...Nope, Months...nah...YEARS of fun!
  22. Jan 29, 2012
    If you like "real" first person shooters, you will love Doom 2!
    This game brings 1 new weapon an1d atleast 4 new monsters!
    So 'cmon everyone, play a real game
  23. Jun 12, 2011
    this game is amazing. the way you see l=old demons and zombies from the original 3, yes i count doom 64. this game really is better than the game Halo. (backround) *BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!* okay, i know. the imposible. better than Halo. The game is better than one of the only good first person shooters that the world has to offer. i love the way that the action is allways there. the bestthis game is amazing. the way you see l=old demons and zombies from the original 3, yes i count doom 64. this game really is better than the game Halo. (backround) *BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!* okay, i know. the imposible. better than Halo. The game is better than one of the only good first person shooters that the world has to offer. i love the way that the action is allways there. the best moments are the parts that involve the story going forward, and parts were there are zombies and i have a chainsaw thats ready to tear through the undead bastards. now, i really am almost ashamed of saying that halo is better, but its actually because in halo you are always fighting the same things, and the levels are all similar. where as the levels in doom have the whole staition that is all there, everything is fine, the first few levels there is just blood on the walls. then there are messages, then your in hell! then the staition has flesh growing on it!! then the staition literaly looks like hell. holy **** that is quite a transition for a few hours! then all the monsters are always new and fresh, and don't stop being new demons until 3/4's of the way in. so its less repetitive than Halo. now, i still like halo. and always will. *salute* Expand
  24. Jan 5, 2015
    If you gave this game anything less than a 10, you obviously did not play it in 1994.
    Still to this day, this was the biggest leap forward in gaming history. There was the world of gaming before DOOM, and then there was the world of gaming after DOOM.
    -Perfect controls -Brilliant level design -Endless action -Perfect weapons (each is completely unique, yet viable from the very
    -Perfect controls
    -Brilliant level design
    -Endless action
    -Perfect weapons (each is completely unique, yet viable from the very beginning to the very end)
    -Amazing music (each level has its own unique score, and they're all amazing)

BEST FPS EVER
  25. Aug 28, 2015
    Doom II is a first person shooter which isn't a first person shooter, it's that plus amazing. I am 21 years late, but I just like it alright. Not averagely, but I mean I like it stated. Blah blah blah, yes. This is a great game, with good story, good objectives, it's not like Call of Duty where it's just about shooting. You solve puzzles, Portal is this game except without guns and withDoom II is a first person shooter which isn't a first person shooter, it's that plus amazing. I am 21 years late, but I just like it alright. Not averagely, but I mean I like it stated. Blah blah blah, yes. This is a great game, with good story, good objectives, it's not like Call of Duty where it's just about shooting. You solve puzzles, Portal is this game except without guns and with Portals. If you ask me, it's more realistic than Grand Theft auto. You will get pushed back when attacked. Play this. Put down Call of Doodoo and Halo 3:DOOMRIPOFFodst and play this. Expand
  26. Oct 10, 2011
    Greatest game ever made.EVER. Best gameplay. Best story. Best mutiplayer. Best sounds. Best graphics. Best sequel. Best game franchise. Best psychics. Best game engine. Best game.
  27. Nov 28, 2015
    PLEASE NOTE: Reviewed via sourceports (Zandronum, GZDoom, Skulltag, ZDoom).

Doom II's one of my favourite shooters of all time. Fast paced, with a delicious amount of punch behind each blast of your shotgun. It's older than I am, sure, but the sprites haven't aged as badly as some old 3D graphics and the sound and music aren't half bad. The modding community's kept this game alive to
    PLEASE NOTE: Reviewed via sourceports (Zandronum, GZDoom, Skulltag, ZDoom).

The modding community's kept this game alive to this day. You can drop hours on level packs like Hell Revealed, gameplay reworks like Brutal Doom and Project MSX, or total conversions like Action Doom or Aliens TC.
  28. Oct 21, 2013
    Even though i was born in 97, i was lucky enough to be able to play Doom 1 2 duke nukem 3d and many other kick-ass fps games, THESE are the fps games that started the whole genre, and it's such a shame that it became a cashgrabbing, sequel spamming of a genre
  29. Nov 19, 2015
    too much non stop fun
    back in 1994
    this game was like crack
    so addicting, could't get enough
    a sequel that surpasses the original by 1000%
    good times
  30. Nov 10, 2011
    Ahh... DOOM. Nothing more satisfying than blowing demons to gibby bits. I really loved the first installment and people apparently loved it too. So it's a no-brainer to Id what to make next...
    DOOM II is in many ways an improvement from DOOM but in other ways inferior. The things that DII does right: many new enemy types from the slightly annoying revenants to the terrifying arch-vile. one new weapon, the Super-shotgun. Although a nice addition, I always wished that Id made more weapons like a grenade launcher to fire around corners or something.
    The biggest "improvement" is the new levels. A total of 32 new maps to traverse. That's a LOT. Now notice I put improvement in quotes, because that is the flaw of DII: the level disign. It feels like the developers didn't know how they were gonna fill 32 slots, so made up the levels as they went along. Now don't get me wrong, there are some great levels, but alot of them are quite forgetful.
    The music is as always great and the sound effects are perfectly cheesy. This IS a fantastic game, but It's just not as COSISTANT as Ultimate DOOM. the bigger you make a game, the more thin the game gets. In UD every level is identifiable at least to me. I'm not getting the same feeling from DII.
    But for the sake of argument, I say both UD & DII are equal. If you like DOOM, play it and love it. if you like FPS in general, play this only if you like DOOM.

1. A dark, disturbing game. And while it may not bring anything new to the genre, it can create obsession-level loyalty if you tend not to look beyond the barrel of a gun.
  2. In addition to multiple difficulty settings and configurable graphics and controls, DOOM II features online support. You can challenge opponents via modem, LAN or a supported IPX protocol to a brutal, no holds barred deathmatch competition.
  3. PC Gamer
    Go ahead and buy Doom II - if you think you can take the heat. [Dec 1994, p.134]