6.4

1. Nov 11, 2013
    Don't go by the negative reviews, its because valve didn't make an announcement regarding an event. This is a AAA game for free with a steep learning curve. However, once you learn it, its never ending fun.
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    I Love the Game. No pay to win.Well balanced Good graphic. And most of all good Game-play.You have to like the genre. Then the game will be perfectly for you.
  3. Nov 20, 2013
    the community is trash, there is not rating, or anything that help you not to be paired with "noobs" (LOL has this i believe) and HoN definitely has it, so yeah, valve is more worried about selling sets and stuff for heroes and make money instead of improving the game
  4. Nov 23, 2013
    After 6 years of dota i can say this is the best game i have ever played. More than 3000 houres of gameplay and playing is still fun. I realy enjoy dota 2! I am rly exited for the "new" heros and some realy new stuff.
  5. Nov 25, 2013
    It's fun for a while, although gets repetitive after a while due to there being only one map. There are MAJOR balance issues, which makes the game utterly irritating to play, not to mention the god-awful "community". All in all though, pretty fun game.
  6. Dec 3, 2013
    After playing the first DotA, the transition wasn't too big for me. I've now played 1000 hours and feel that I can write a fair review. I'll keep this short, simply listing the positives and the negatives. The Positives: Endless of hours of gameplay Endless combinations of heroes Special game modes for holidays Easy to set up games with friends, to play with each other or against other teams
    Beautifully crafted
    Awesome contributions of items from the community

The Negatives:

The community. Some people are just real a-holes.
    The matchmaking feels incredibly broken at times. You either demolish the other team or you get demolished. It is rare to get opponents with equal skill level.
    Language barriers: This mostly concerns russians that don't speak a word of english and they don't care what you say if they happen to speak english. I've learned more russian profantiy from this game than I care to admit.
    You can almost count the heroes with "skill shots" (e.g. sacred arrow, hook etc.) on one hand.
    Smurfing. Players that already have hundreds of hours played create new accounts to be matched against newbies. This will ruin games for beginners.
    A ladder is sorely missed for many players. This would enable better match making and for teams that don't play on a professional level some time in the spotlight too.
    Sometimes too much focus on items and customizability than on gameplay and updates of core mechanics.

As you can see, the majority of the problems that this game suffers from are the community. Valve has taken some steps to solve this (e.g. choosing preferred language in games, choosing lane from character selection), but it rarely gets to the core of it, namely, player stupidity.

That being said, this game is best played with five friends against other players, or just playing in house games with a larger group of friends. If you play this solo and never played DotA before, get ready to be flamed and discouraged to learn the game. The new coaching feature is for you.
  7. Dec 3, 2013
    Every mistake counts; every miscalculation will cost you direly. Dota is a game of the mind more than anything else. It tests your awareness, your ability to outwit and outsmart your opponent. The problem, however, is that the game is plagued by its community. Because Dota relies more upon the ability of the team than the skill of the individual, you will find yourself becoming frustrated with players who perform poorly.

In addition to the poor community, the game has a very high learning curve. The learning curve, however, is a good thing, as it allows for Dota to have a great deal of depth. The best way to approach this, if you are a new player, is to accept that you suck, and simply persist. You will not experience the joy of Dota until you can play it competently. It will likely take you a few months to get a basic sense for the games various heroes and mechanics, but it is the journey that is important, not the destination.

Dota 2 is an amazing, beautiful game if you can get past the learning curve. To avoid the ever dreaded community, play with your friends.
  8. Dec 5, 2013
    I'll be honest, the game itself isn't particularly bad. Having tried out the original, DOTA2 is somewhat more forgiving to newbies, allowing games against bots to at least practice on.

Graphically, it's not bad and there's a nice selection of heroes which is not too overwhelming like some MOBA games (here's looking at you LoL).

Obviously, the major issue with the game is its
    fan-base, which comes across as a rather spoilt, repugnant brat... If you aren't quite up to their standard of playing, prepare to be barraged with insult upon insult. But these are issues that are pandemic to the genre itself, so doesn't really warrant marking it down, it's to be expected if you've actually made any attempt at checking a game out first...

All this aside, the games do get competitive, but in my opinion, this is the only real thing going for it, the constant thriving to beat the opponent. If you do not connect with the community in some way, then it's not a particularly enjoyable affair.

It's free though, so it's definitely at least worth a look, perhaps you'll love it, or perhaps you'll hate it... But if you haven't put any cash up-front, there's no harm either way.
  9. Dec 9, 2013
    Steep learning curve, and I say this even though I played Dota1 for 2 years back when I played wc3. Incredibly rewarding teambased strategy game. Wouldn't recommend playing it by yourself, but the most fun i've had playing a competitive game in years. What Valve is doing for the growth of Dota2 in Esports as well is amazing!
  10. Jan 6, 2014
    Pros: Great graphics/interface Easy matchmaking Sucessful ported game from dota 1 Cons: Colision system is so high Camera distance very low Heroes are visual polluted Battle is very polluted, you need take a good look to understand wath is happening Matchmaking system fails Lack of local player baning system The given priority to cosmetic itens Were is the dam raking system, no rank no moba valve! Expand
  11. Jan 29, 2014
    One of the most addicting games I have ever played! I started playing Dota 1 around 2004 and went on to play Dota 2 when it was in beta. I agree with many of the negative posts here that the matchmaking system is flawed and that the game itself has some issues, but I don't think that these issues overshadow the fact that this is a great game. Yes the community isn't the most noob friendly and people can be overwhelmingly retarded sometimes, but if you have some good friends to play the game with, you are certainly going to enjoy it. Expand
  12. Feb 16, 2014
    Crappy game forces you to play losing matches, imbalanced heroes, HORRIBLE matchmaking algorithm, all around **** game that should have stayed on Warcraft 3, it was way better back then.
  13. Feb 17, 2014
    This one of my favorite games - appears simple but is devilishly complex. You'll want to proceed through the entire tutorial, and then ease into multiplayer, expecting significant early failure. Stick with it though, and experience one of the finest in free to play competitive RTS.
  14. Feb 23, 2014
    I love this game. It is hard, it has depth, and most of all it is very addictive. You will never play two matches the same, EVER. It is competitive and the community reflects it. The game mechanics are solid. I love the art design. They do events according to the season which is engaging. The game is completely free to play. You do not have to buy anything to enjoy the game. All of the heroes are free to try out at your leisure. The only thing that is for offer is cosmetics. Which in itself is enticing. I bought the portal pack and regret nothing. Listening to GlaDos announce the match never gets old. If you have a PC I highly recommend you play the game for yourself. I give it a 10/10! Expand
  15. Apr 8, 2014
    There are many key points to the game's success.
    First, the valuable lesson of teamwork! However, there is a small price of self-esteem and a 99 percent chance of being yelled at by your a**hole of a teammate. But hey, that's nothing!
    Also, ease of access is another important point! Just choose which Russia you want to play in!
    Many critics were happy with this product! For instance,
    jremy1253 commented,

"Before I played DotA 2, I though the Brazilians were only bad at soccer".

You see? Important life lessons! And to DotA fans, remember, you are entitled to your opinions, but this is mine. Please do not take it personally, otherwise risk facing a slight chance of ulcers, rage, and other side effects that would be harmful to the average human.

Thank you, and have a lovely evening.
  16. May 2, 2014
    I'm an avid fan of DotA.
    Valve did a great job recreating DotA *well... some of it*! *Thumbs up*
    + Competitive
    - Hard Learning curve for newbies
    + Heroes are open to pick unlike the other game *BOOOOOO*
    + Free to Play! It only has cosmetic items, no paid advantage!

"Easy to learn, Hard to master"
  17. May 21, 2014
    Who is to say that this game is not great? I would say that if you enjoy planning out attacks and that you are a cunning strategist, then this game is right for you. The strategy behind this game is what makes this game great, I don't know why so many people dislike this game. I think it is because it is not your typical Call of Duty that does nothing but make you angry, where this game actually expands your thought-processing and helps you become a better strategist. I highly recommend playing this great strategy game. Expand
  18. May 30, 2014
    Most addictive competitive game ever made. Thought I'd throw in a rating because of the storm of 1/10's from the "LOL GIVE DIRETIDE HAHA XD EPIC MEE MEE" incident.
  19. Jul 1, 2014
    I'm sure my humble review will never get paid attention to, but I feel like I know the game fairly good being a player starting from 2007 to now. I have seen the lobbies of eurobattle.net, 5.84b crawled with bugs, and played on custom servers for different regions.

All I have to say is Valve has ruined the game ruining the lobby mechanics with a broken matchmaking system, linking
    players who are completely different by language and region to play a competitive game where every player's mistake is punished heavily by the game mechanics.

Back in the day when people had a set username, you used to carry your reputation around also having a network of players you used to play with from chat channels. This is very important since you can have balanced matches with people in your region or your interest in custom made lobbies that you HAVE TO use in order to play.

The current situation is you end up playing with adolescent kids who can't speak a word of english nor know the game, even in "high" brackets at 4-5k MMR. They can ruin your gaming experience and leave without a punishment, lowering your MMR thus pulling you down to play with players exactly like him.

I can't stand the game I grew up playing is ruined by this so called "community" oriented company who only uses this game to just milk money out of people. They are not interested in making a better game, they are interested in one thing and one thing only, making PROFITS.
  20. Jul 1, 2014
    The MOBA that every gamer should try for at least a few hours. DoTA is nearly ten years old and is the wisest of all the MOBAs. Each hero is playable and competitive and patches are carefully balanced on buffs and nerfs. Heroes aren't nerfed for being the flavor of the month and are still competitive after getting nerfed a wee bit.
  21. Aug 5, 2014
    Okay, I am very Mixed about this game. The reasons are that whilst it is a very polished and deep MOBA it lacks certain features that attract me to MOBAS as one of my favorite Genres. SO without further adue, let me begin.
    Okay so first up I want to talk about the good in this game. The classes are varied and each feels like it has an important role. The items pack a punch and a fed
    character FEELS fed. The map design is flawless with multiple levels of height with ramps needed to access them, however characters with a jump ability etc. can jump straight down. It's things like this IMO that make a good MOBA. Also, match making is very fast, which is great. No matter what time of day it is I get a match in a few seconds.
    The next thing, and this is where I am going to get into the negatives, is where I want to talk about the learning vurve (which is what frustrated me the most). When I play a Moba I personally like a locked on camers, if I want to look around etc. I will disable it for a few seconds to do so. However, Dota 2 is lacking any kind nof lock on camera, you can spam a button to simulate it but that is hardly practical. Also, the community are like a pack of hungry wolves waiting for you to slip up. This discourages new users, and if you're looking at this game as a new player wanting to try it, go play LoL, or even better, Smite.
    My last, and most ANNOYING peeve i have about this game. The god damn freaking camera movement. Not only is there no lock on camera, but you can't even use the arrow keys to look around, you have to move your mouse to the edge of the screen. This would often kill me as a ganker would kill me before I could move my mouse to order a move command.
    All in all this is a great MOBA but a very hardcore one, and if you want MOBA and FUN to be in the same sentence, do not play this game. If you are more serious then you will love it, or if you're a bit of both. You will have mixed feelings. It all comes down to your personal preference.
  22. Jul 16, 2013
    I've been playing DOTA off and on for at least 7 years. It's become a part of my life like golf or the NBA. I can't thank Valve enough for bringing modernity to the game and making it a viable E-Sport. If I were to laud two improvements, it would be the matchmaking system and the shop in the game.
  23. Jul 16, 2013
    More than 10 years developing a system and balancing one game. Now bringed back by Valve and Icefrog.

This game has got everything to raise to the glory. Easy to learn, Hard to master.
  24. Jul 16, 2013
    Valve did a great job by hiring Icefrog, you can't find such a balanced game without Icefrog and you can't find such a great detailed game without Valve

Balanced Game Competitive game Greatly detailed GOTY 2013 :D
  25. Jul 16, 2013
    Very addicting with a steep learning curve, you'll sink many hours into this game. Of course there will be abrasive players in the community, but guess what, there are function in the game to fix it. Mute and report the player(s), and play on. GL HF
  26. Jul 16, 2013
    I started playing a year before. First 10-15 games will make your head spin puke and go tear the hair out of your head. After 25+ games you will have the slightest sense of what is what and what is happening in the team fights. This game is not something one starts gets hold of the game in 1-2 days and spend all his time thereafter. This Game is complex deep with varying heroes abilities items item builds and interaction between each of the above said.

My best advice to new players is stick to easy heroes like Lion sniper Earth Shaker Ursa Axe lich viper etc. Try to use in game guides .

I have spent about 1100 hours and almost 1000 games played. Still i learn something new in this game.
    Knowledge is wealth in this game. The more you know about your hero items the better you can do in the game.

If you do want to play other games in future don`t play this game. Once you cross the "critical line" (about 20-30 matches) i doubt you would rarely play any other game.
  27. Jul 16, 2013
    Dota 2 is a great game. I like its UI design, hero design and that beautiful map. Valve didn't disappoint players this time. However, the only reason I do not give a 10 is that this game still have some bugs and Valve has already released it. Those bugs do damage the game experience.
  28. Jul 16, 2013
    Valve knows how to do free to play right. Dota 2 is the result of almost a decade's worth of dedication from various Warcraft 3 map makers and the collaboration with an award-winning game studio that can release the game to the masses.

Even without any advertising, the game has attracted millions of players globally and is played as a sport with millions of dollars in prize money
    annually.

Dota 2 is a well-polished game and most people are surprised that it's... FREE!

Definitely worth a try.
  29. Jul 17, 2013
    I really love this game, so many improvements have been made over Dota1. Juking around trees is easier and feels more natural, smooth animations allow for much easier last hitting, beautiful visual effects with the exception of a few hero models but the game is still treated like a beta by the devs so they're constantly working on improving things. The match making is a bit flawed at the moment but it will get fixed. The pay model is great as you have the hole game for FREE without having to buy anything which may give you even 1% advantage over the enemy which is great. Most of the cosmetics are great and those that are implemented and hated on by the community get removed(of course who bought them will keep them though). I can talk about a lot of things but I just wanted to cover a few things Dota2 has improved from Dota1. It's a very fun and challenging game which I recommend you try out(but first please play the tutorial). Expand
  30. Jul 17, 2013
    I love this game. It's both faithful to the original and a lot more user friendly at the same time. It's completely free, no need to buy heroes, or other features that could give you an advantage, and Valve is still actively balancing it with Icefrog. Most of heroes are pretty engaging, and the game itself is pretty complex, having mechanics like denying and dedicated healing abilities, something which games like LoL (strangely) don't have.

My only complaints are about hero releases, that is, that Valve is taking their goddamn sweet time doing it, and that the MM system actively tries to balance your win rate at 50% by pairing you with terrible teams if you do too well. Seriously, I'm not making that up. Still a great game, though, and if you're a newbie to mobas then it's probably the best game, since you have a decently sized tutorial system and well-made bot practice matches.
  31. Jul 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Well Played! Expand
  32. Jul 18, 2013
    A faithful recreation of the game that inspired LoL and HoN. Valve absolutely nailed it, the graphical style and voice work are incredible. No pay2win but cosmetics for those who want them. 10/10
  33. Jul 19, 2013
    This is one of the most difficult multi-player games you will ever play. The people who tell you otherwise are probably doing it wrong. The game play is solid, and the mechanics are balanced properly. For the most part any hero in the game is capable of defeating any other hero in the game if the two players are equally skilled. It's very balanced in that respect. It is also a fun game if you can get past the culture, attitude, arrogance, and hostility that people bring to the game.

That problem is it's very hard to get past that part. This game is full of the most hateful, immature, ignorant people you will ever find in any MMO game, period. I played WoW for over a year, I played SW: TOR, I have played several random "web-based" games where you also expect the bottom of the barrel in terms of users and community, but every horrid online community I've ever seen pales in comparison to this. You may think I'm exaggerating, but if you can put 10-20 hours into this game without being called newb, baddie, or told to go kill yourself/uninstall, then I'm envious of you. That doesn't even cover the harassment and berating you will receive from your own team no matter how new you are, or how hard you are trying. If you make a mistake prepare to pay for it in hateful comments from your own team, up to and including calling you every imaginable name over mic and in chat.

The majority of players on US servers at certain times are foreign and cannot speak English, and Valve has decided to ignore this problem and believe me, it's a huge problem in a game that requires communication which only adds to the overall hate and frustration level. Russians are the biggest problem on US servers right now and if you happen to offend one of them, regardless of which team this person is on, they will almost certainly ask the other Russians in the game, again regardless of team, to report you. You have no recourse and the process is semi-automated. You will receive mutes from Valve after you accumulate enough reports the validity of which makes no difference.

I have just spent two paragraphs warning you of what you are getting into, while only devoting one paragraph to the nice parts of this game. Make of that what you will, but if you do decide to play this game, I advice muting everyone before the match even begins including your own team. It's your own team that will berate and harass you with the most racist and hateful speech you can imagine much more often than the opposing team. Score-wise I gave it a 6 because I think it represents exactly what I'm trying to say this game is fantastic, but the community and players are not. Half and half.

I would also like to add that I am near 200 total wins, with a winning percentage around .433. I am not new nor am I offended by the overall experience, but it is indeed a negative experience as far as the community goes. I subject myself to the player interactions because I can (usually) take it in stride, mute the player, and move on. If you don't have a thick skin though, this game is not for you.
  34. Jul 19, 2013
    Dota 2 was the first of this genre (whatever it's called) that I've played. After a solid year and a go at it's competitors, I wouldn't go anywhere else. It boasts 100+, immediately accessible, unique heroes, solid mechanics and fun and exciting gameplay wrapped up in Valve's beautiful graphics. If you're new or struggling, there's plenty of resources and guides online and in game.

Get
    a group of committed friends from real life together and you'll spend many nights over skype, playing this game. You can even make friends over Dota 2 and band together after successful matches to play together again.

Recently I've ventured into the world of solo-queing and it's honestly not as bad a people make it out to be. There haven't been any abandonments and the report system is certainly working, there is far less negative behaviour then when I started a year ago. If you practice your hero, learn about them and do your job properly, then there is no reason for anyone to flame you.

I have never been addicted to a game as much as Dota 2.
  35. Jul 20, 2013
    This game takes critical thinking. That's why it's fun. You make decisions and learn from them. Working with friends or strangers over a relatively long period of time to dominate your enemy can be extremely fun. It's also awesome when notice yourself improving.
  36. Jul 20, 2013
    If you enjoyed the original DOTA or League of Legends, then you'll definitely want to grab this game. I started playing later in the beta, around mid 2012, and it's always the game I go back to when I get bored of everything else. The game is free but you're able to purchase items and other things in the DOTA 2 Store if you so desire. I'll buy something every now and then to support the developers, but make sure you don't wind up spending a bunch of money on a free game; defeats the whole point! They're taking a while to release all of the new heroes, but a good game takes some time to evolve. Definitely get it if you have Steam! Expand
  37. Jul 21, 2013
    Playing this game is not worth it. Who would want to have all characters unlocked from the beginning when you could grind for months to have decent pool while developer still releases same characters with same abilities only with different skins. Also, I have to think while playing and change roles during the game, it is unacceptable. You should follow the same meta and roles from the beginning and should be banned if you pick character that does not have a set role. And letting people from different servers play on their 1 account across the globe? It is terrible game design. Plus, there aren't even 50 hot female characters let alone that they have prostitute-looking skins.
    Terrible, worst game ever. 10/10
  38. Jul 22, 2013
    This game is like COD, hard at first but once you get the hang of it you get pretty decent. I found this game amazing and yet it had its challenging moments but it it an overall amazing game. I we can't forget its free!
  39. Jul 22, 2013
    Being one of the high esteemed long time players of the DotA style RTS, i can safely say this is the best of the best. The players in EVERY type of game like this has a community base full of people with rage, it's just the way it plays out. the reason this game topples every other game like it is by having such a high production value, there are no new overpowered characters you have to buy, it's all there for you. there's no pay to win at all, the only reason you would pay for anything in the game is to support the developers or the professional gamers who play it. Expand
  40. Jul 23, 2013
    Dota 2 shows how a moba is supposed to be, an 5v5 Arena where the arena can be changed to your advantages to make deep strategy use. Dota 2 has a hard learning curve and this will follow you until you stop playing. You can never truly master the game because the situation always changes.
    If you want to compare it to other moba's is dota the big mean brother of the others.
    There is no
    better moba, its comes down on your own taste. Want to still have some fun, play LoL.
    Want to try hard and cry a little, play Dota. I also see alot of bad reviews because of the community. last time I checked you don't rate a game on the community. The community can be bad but just ignore it and carry on with it untill you find a proper team. Maybe don't be such a loner and make a team so you don't have to team up with pubs. The graphics are fine as they are. The gameplay is excellent. Voice actors are excellent, the lore falls a bit short now and then but it's being worked on. The way that the community can make money out of a game someone else completely made, some people don't understand this but it's like going to a market, they set up an store for you and you just deliver the items.
  41. Jul 23, 2013
    A good MOBA game for advance player, so you may want to stay away to this game if you're not really good at MOBA games.
    Game have interesting characters, some design of the characters kinda feels odd because they are not the original design because most of it is own by Blizzard so they made some few changes of the looks.
    The only gripe with this game is.... it is for advance players so
    you're going to rip your hair out if you play pvp. I recommend practice with bots and other friendly players, i haven't came across a mean player yet but i'll soon meet.
    Overall it's a good MOBA game and it's my Opinion SUCK IT HATERS!!!
  42. Jul 24, 2013
    I have spent nearly 1500 hours playing this game. It's been frustrating,punishing and perplexing; yet very enjoyable. it was overwhelming for the first 100 hours or so, not knowing the heroes or the items. However with some determination and guide reading/watching you unlock a highly rewarding and rich gaming experience which is unmatched!

I have noticed in other reviews they talk of
    the trash talking community; ALL team games will have douche bags though dota compared to its counterparts is not as bad. You can easily mute unwanted language.

This game is truly free to play. It's pay to look cool and some of the cosmetics you can purchase (or receive as drops after games) are truly amazing! you also have a say of what will be sold in the store by voting on potential items in the steam workshop.

all in all Dota 2 is a demanding game and you will suck at first. Keep with it though and prepare for one of the gaming experiences.... oh and say goodbye to all other games!!
  43. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is interesting and is nice for playing with friends. On the other hand, learning curve is hard and the community is full of very rude players. Prepare to be insulted during the first 5 weeks at least.

Also, games take usually 45 minutes, which is quite long and boring...
  44. Jul 27, 2013
    so perfect generation and strategy.Quality of characters are incredible.Teamplay is good.War effects amazing.League of Legends fans losers and kids,DotA 2 fans pros.Need all DotA heroes in DotA 2
  45. Jul 28, 2013
    Best game I have ever played since 2005. A lot of combos to perform and item builds to choose from. Very balanced and challenging. The battle part starts on the picking phase where you should choose the hero that can counter the enemy. Have deep learning curve though. I've been playing this game for 8 years and still learning and getting better. One key to win this game is 100% team strategy and coordination. Expand
  46. Jul 29, 2013
    I love this game because of the balance gameplay and clean graphics. And also it is F2P and also I am a dota fan thats why I love this game... FTW XD
  47. Jul 29, 2013
    This game has a way lower user score then the game deserves because League of Legends fan boyish Ftards are all over this game. Don't mind the score and give the game a try, you won't regret it.
  48. Jul 29, 2013
    First of all, I would like to point out that every hero in this game is free, you do not need flash or ignite to do well, there are no mastery points, you do not have to buy runes and you can get "skins" for free just by playing. WIth that said, this game is amazing. Every hero is unique and icefrog really cares about hero balance. You do not see the same 10-20 heroes in every game or even in every tournament. People do not complain if you run rogue or you stray from 1 top laner, 1 mid laner, 1 support and 1 ADC bottom and a jungler. You can run 3 top, 1 mid 1 bot; 0 top, 1 mid, 4 bot; 1 top 3 mid 1 bot, etc etc. Also leavers do not ruin the game because the game will become safe to leave. The report and mute system is also better than League of Legends. You know what else this game has? A better client, less bugs, better voice acting, replays, and SingSing. 10/10. Expand
  49. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is most definitely the best looking MOBA out there today. The graphics are great, the gameplay is flawless, its everything that was great about the original DOTA without all of the issues. Not to mention it is fully free, you can play all the heroes without paying a dime and everything that is sold is purely cosmetic. The community is what you make of it, if you play with random people and don't make an effort to play with people you know and just do constant solo matchmaking, you aren't going to enjoy yourself on ANY MOBA that is out today. There is a steep learning curve and people do expect after about 100 games for you to understand the basics, so if you are a casual gamer who doesn't want to have to do a little bit of reading then I would suggest move on. On the other hand if advanced strategy mixed with fast paced team PvP sound like your niche then you should definitely check it out. Expand
  50. Aug 1, 2013
    First game ever I enjoy watching. 20 years ago I would have tried to rock a bit, but I don't have the time to get into this mass of playable chars. Since I don't play vs. humans I can only judge the community watching the games and its players: you have your aholes everywhere but IMO it's not that bad as others write. A lot of ppl are friendly and answer to questions, but of course there's always a black sheep... or two.
    Since it's F2P there is absolutly no reason for not giving it a try.
  51. Aug 2, 2013
    I wanted to give this game a 9 out of 10 due to the good graphics compared to other MOBA games, huge character selection you can get immediately, and good tutorial as well as the interactions with the character that we chose. However I found that this game has a huge flaw which is deny creep system. Why? Because the one that can deny creep better will definitely win the game especially the solo lanes. The solo lanes gets more experience and then able to outlevel all other players and just making plays all over. So basically this game is "who can deny creeps more" in the early stage of the game. Indeed this is the redeeming feature of the game itself but I feel this feature is not necessary. However it is undoubtedly a great game and recommendable for anyone who likes hardcore mind-games. Expand
  52. Aug 2, 2013
    Seguramente estamos en frente del mejor juego del mundo! probe HON, Dota1 LOL y sin duda el dota 2 es otro nivel supera todo, podes negociar items torneos mundiales con la mejor organizacion nunca antes vista calidad de gamers muy buena, Exelente Juego!
  53. Aug 4, 2013
    One of the best, most difficult and truly competitive games I've ever played.Its completely free and no bonuses for real money purchases ,very balanced Absolutely amazing heart stopping game with all its animations sound effects and creativity. Stunning gameplay and lovely teamplay. The only thing that you have to spend in order to play this game is time.
  54. Aug 5, 2013
    I play it with 2007, was very glad when the Valve pay attention to it and improved it!
    play it around 1500 hours and will play even more! 10 of 10!
    ps who is not able to play DotA and let him go play lol, he is for the weak, DotA for the strong!
  55. Aug 7, 2013
    Best game ever. I don't know why people still choose Dota 1 over Dota 2, not that I'm hating on Dota 1, I loved that game. Dota 2 improved on every aspect of it. Dota 2 is the best MOBA.

On a side note. International 3 guys! $2.7 million dollars distributed to the tournament. Such a large price pool. DOTA 2 FTW
  56. Aug 9, 2013
    Following Valve's success with TF2; Dota 2, the successor to the popular Warcraft III custom map Defense of The Ancients is truly free to play in all game content. The only things purchasable in game are cosmetics and tournament passes. Dota 2 is essentially the exact same game as DoTA except that it has been ported to Valve's source engine. The menus and user interface are extremely streamlined and includes tournament integration if there is one in progress.

The game has a harsh learning curve that not everyone will be able to appreciate. But, it is highly rewarding once you learn the game. The community is not nearly as toxic as other reviewers are trying to make it out to be. Most of these reviewers are probably overly sensitive people to begin with. The community that I've been exposed to may be slightly elitist, but that's to be expected from a game with this competitive nature and learning curve. However, although elitist most of the players are willing to give advice and help out if they are asked to. Don't let one toxic player ruin your experience of this amazing game.

The game is smooth, tightly integrated, stays true to its predecessor, and has possibly the best matchmaking system of any MOBA to date. If you're a fan of the genre and want a challenge then this is the game to be playing. If not, then look elsewhere.
  57. Aug 12, 2013
    I've played this game more than any other on my PC. It is still my favourite game... DotA2 has a huge learning curve, which some users find very off-putting, but if you stick with it you will realise the beauty hidden inside this game. DotA2's capabilities are massive, with a huge selection of heroes, items, map features and the options to practice against bots and team up with your friends and battle other teams, as well as the basic public matchmaking feature. DotA 2 also provides a few training levels to enrich your knowledge and aid your learning curve this game really can't get any better! Expand
  58. Aug 12, 2013
    Ok where do i start witch this game, Poor graphics Buggy The match making is awful the wait time to get into games is shocking the learning curve is mental and the tutorials you get don't really help. Boring to play Items and collectibles are confusing and offer no help. community that play the game are 80% idiots and when you do "report" them for being idiots quitting mid match ect nothing seems to happen and to add to it all the game is so repetitive you will find yourself doing the exact same thing during each of the hour long matches. I gave this game 1 because its free and free games are good......well....was good... Expand
  59. Aug 13, 2013
    Amazing. Amazing and Amazing. First it was a mod for War3 called 3-Corridors, DotA finally was started, then they added a jungle and many years later, Valve buys it. They have done an Amazing job with this game and as some of the other critics say, just give it some time and you are in for a real treat. A+ Add me on Steam if you want to learn 'cultavix'.
  60. Aug 17, 2013
    Never In my entire life have I witnessed a worse community revolving around a video-game than the one that is to be found in Dota 2. Second biggest problem of this game is the match-making: broken, poorly thought through and executed horribly. But even with all these problems, I could actually see myself overlooking them at a certain time during a few years due to the sheer amount of possible combinations in this game with heroes & items and the addictive quality the game has if it wasn't for all the other flaws. Expand
  61. Aug 18, 2013
    This game is AWESOME. The only two downs it's the inability of playing on a local lan and the discrepancy of pub players. Summarizing BEST PLAYED WITH FRIENDS
  62. Aug 19, 2013
    This is what we were waiting for so long, it's DotA nothing more nothing less. There are basically 2 things bad about this game. One being the matchmaking/ladder system it is just bad, but we all are looking forward for it's improvement. And the other one is very steep learning curve and non existing tutorials those implemented by Valve are just a joke. Those two concerns are the reason why DotA has so low rating. That and all the lol fanboys for whom is Dota just too difficult, yea it is not a simple game. Everything else is just awesome. Expand
  63. Aug 23, 2013
    In the beginning I was arguing why a game where you start from 0 every match could be that addictive. As soon as I started playing I got shocked about the immersion this game provides. Although, I would strongly prefer more heroes...
  64. Aug 25, 2013
    THIS GAME IS AWESOME!! I'm PLAYING DOTA 1 BUT DOTA 2 IS MUCH AWESOMER!! AND VERY ADDICTING!! AND GREAT VOICE ACTORS ANIMATIONS BUT THERES A FEW BUGS BUT ITS GONNA FIXED BY PATCH SO THATS ISN'T GONNA AFFECT THE SCORE!
  65. Sep 1, 2013
    I find it unfair to the game that most of the negative scores lack objectivity and come from people who are actually complaining about aggressive players.

Dota is seriously one of the best games ever if you enjoy a competitive atmosphere.
  66. Sep 1, 2013
    Unforgettable game! The main point is that Dota 2 is balanced and free. It isn't Pay to Win, you can't play for new heroes, or skills for them only HUD-'s and skins are for money, and you can also loot them in game. game has a lot of unique heroes, which are well-balanced and now overpowered. Community is not bad, but there are a lot of trolls ad "LoL players", especially at start. Dota 2 is also very hard game, so you have to play well, or you'll often lose games. Expand
  67. Sep 8, 2013
    Mas de 30 min de acción online por partida, mucho mejor que el League of legends superando en todo sentido graficos, jugabilidad y mucho mas, sin lugar a duda unos de los mejores juegos online del 2013.
  68. Sep 13, 2013
    Why do we play games?
    If you have a clear desire for fun, personal improvement of player skills as well as mind training, and you are wanting to be tested and rewarded when performing excellent; install now.
  69. Sep 20, 2013
    It's harder than other MOBA games, but that means there's a lot more for you to learn and enjoy as a gamer when you really get into it. There are tutorials to help you out and a ton of professional matches and video guides to help you learn. Hero pool is very diverse and there aren't any that I can really think of that similar to each other (waste of space) in terms of abilities.

Everything is practically free. Unlike in other similar games, you won't have to grind points to unlock heroes or fill up game-affecting quirks and the level of your account has no bearing on your ability to play. Everything is available from the moment you sign up and you just spend for cosmetic items that drop in the game anyway. I mean, what's there to complain about?
  70. Sep 21, 2013
    Dota 2 is a game of highs and lows and it is not for the faint of heart. If you lack a thick skin Dota will beat you and leave you bleeding in the gutter. Why would you play Dota if it's so unforgiving? After playing lol for 4 years and having to watch lol go from good to awful thanks to Riot not inability to balance heroes and releasing new gamemodes that ultimately no one cares about and not Riot themselves I got fed up. I used to hate Dota as a mod for WC3, Dota 2 is different. The community issues in Dota remain but are not worse than LoL besides the point that Dota has more leavers, this aside Dota is deeper, more challenging, more strategic, more balanced and customizable than LoL or HoN. You have access to everything and only your skill is a factor for you sucess or failure. Low and high grounds, field of vision night time daytime differs and between heroes even, jungle is more jukable and the lack of summoner spells from LoL makes sure you have no extra safety net. Warding and items are more complex mechanics, math is a bigger factor and teamplay is more encuraged. The fact that valve is not even done with modes and ranked play means that the game will get even better. The trading of items is a game in it self outside the game. Guides for new players written by others can be accessed during matches to help with skill builds and item choices.... So if you can ignore flamers and focus on getting better and improving your play Dota has no equal. Add me ingame if you need help. There are alot of players willing to help not just the ragers. Alias Oktalz. Welcome to DOTA2 next level of mobas Expand
  71. Sep 26, 2013
    A great game till you play online.... PUGs are just impossible to win more than 1 in 10 fights, so unless your in a pre-set group your not going to win, which is a shame, because I can see how it would be a lot of fun in a well matched fight.
  72. Sep 27, 2013
    Kind of hard to get started in due to the existence of various game mechanics ranging from unfamiliar to difficult. The game design is decent but the UI isn't really user-friendly.
  73. Sep 28, 2013
    DotA 2 is honestly one of the best games I have ever played. You start the game with all the heroes unlocked, so while the learning curve may be somewhat difficult for new players, you are ready to dive right in and try whatever hero you think is cool. Even if you do not normally enjoy competitive games this game is worth a shot, and you may find your opinion change.
  74. Sep 29, 2013
    This game provide a epic experience as a PVP game, If you could overcome early slight learning curve as any other PVP games do. It just needs slight effort and keeping steady.
  75. Oct 7, 2013
    Considero que es un excelente juego, más allá de su origen: Dota mod de W3. Dota 2 ofrece excelentes gráficas y una interfaz bastante amigable y muy personalizable. Además Dota 1 necesita tener la máxima puntuación por todo lo que es y generó posteriormente, y creo que Dota 2 es quien hereda esta innovación.
  76. Oct 11, 2013
    This Game is EPIC, when you play a long time, you can view the diference to League of Legends; more fun, more playability, is really better that LoL, the best MOBA ever.
  77. Oct 14, 2013
    Dota 2 as a game is very well made, however the community is where its hit the hardest. Most of the players are rude, unwelcoming to the newbies and often report them for feeding (intentionally dying to help the enemy) which has numerous consequences. If the community was to be improved, I would gladly give this game a higher score, however as most of the players are insincere I have to give this game a 5, not bad, but not great either. Expand
  78. Oct 22, 2013
    I respect those people who do not like DotA 2, BUT if you rate this game down because you do not like this game, then you are retarded. You only rate a game if you really played the game before, NOT because you don't like it.

Steep learning curve? Yes. 'Pros' who will call you noob on your first game? Yes. Can't take all of these? Go away. We need real gamers who are determined to
    master this game, so we can spar with more quality players. There is no game community in the world that will say 'oh nevermind.. I don't care if you make mistake.' Suck it up AND THEN you will learn. Respect is EARNED. Even veterans will make mistakes when trying out new heroes, and they will be flamed too, so why spare the newbies?

DotA 2's growth is amazing. Just take a look at the tournaments. We have the biggest prize pool in e-sports history, and it will increase every year for sure. That says a lot about this game. People pay for it. People earn a living from it, not only from playing, but by casting it too. We have awesome casters like TobiWan, LD, Merlini and much more. They will make tournament games much enjoyable to watch as they already are.

As for the gameplay, I'm sure many other reviews had mentioned about it, so I would not waste your time here. Hop on the train, if you have what it takes. WE WANT YOU.
  79. Oct 23, 2013
    This is currently the best moba game on the market.The game play is the same as the original dota-and all games that copied it,Not to name any names.The balance is amazing thanks to Icefrog and it is constantly being updated with patches.Not that it is important but the graphics in this game are much better than all other moba's combined.
  80. Oct 23, 2013
    Dota 2 is probably the best PVP RTS game that i have EVER played. It's original, you can't get bored, you can play with friends or without them, you have a pool of heroes each with a different game strategy and you can equip them with sets that you can buy or receive by a random drop, it's not easy so you have to be good to really be good, you cant just be good at one character for each game is a different game. Its complex and fun to play, which is all i like in a on-line multiplayer game. For that, I score 10. Expand
  81. Oct 25, 2013
    Everything the original DotA was and more! Valve has done a great job and with each update the game gets better and better! While this game does a tougher entry level for new players, it is worth giving a shot!
  82. Aug 29, 2014
    After almost 1 year or more since it got out of the beta, the game has released about 3 major content updates.

The innovation is lackluster if you want a moba that gets constant updates and improvement to their graphics/gameplay/performance / new content, this game is not for you, is the same game it was 2 years ago, literally nothing new maybe 3-4 heroes.

If you like constant
    updates youll better go search another mob. Expand
  83. Nov 9, 2013
    A great game that mixes strategy individual skill timing and practice, the only complaint that I can make is it is a huge time sink. if you decide to play this game make sure you have nothing better to be doing for the next year or so.......................
  84. Nov 1, 2013
    Garbage MM system
    Garbage report system
    Lot of bugs
    This is a game made by a company who doesnt even care about their community.
    No events, lots of items.
  85. Nov 1, 2013
    Getf your ass valve and create content for your most popular game not another dollar will be spent untill I see some content Diretide was an annual even u even said so and gone and it up. Your one of the biggest gaming developers hire some people and get to work.
  86. Nov 1, 2013
    this is a great game, but yeah i think valve should communicate more.

don't listen to these spammers, their comments are awful nad they are just mad over nothing
  87. Nov 1, 2013
    Great game, I don't feel Valve is ignoring their community. It feels more like brats who have been given everything but still rage because now they want a pony too.
  88. Nov 1, 2013
    Valve is unable to communicate with the community at all.
    Not a single word is said about what is going on, no updates just money whores.
    How can a company seriously be so retarded if it would be so easy to just tell us what is going on.
  89. Nov 1, 2013
    I reallly enjoyed this game But after the game was officially release. Valve has shown they made enough money off people like me buying keys in the beta. Now they have completely forsaken us F*CK YOU VALVE F%CK YOU DOTA DEVS.

YOU CAN'T JUST IGNORE THE PEOPLE WHO GIVE YOU MONEY!
  90. Nov 1, 2013
    Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE༼ Give DIRETIDE
  91. Nov 1, 2013
    Okay,DotA is not a bad game overall. Its the game I became a fan of. The word fan includes fanatism and giving my beloved doto a 0 is sign of this fanatism. I don't do this because I'm childish,nor I do this to prevent anybody to play the game. Its great and yeah,MOSTLY valve did a great job in the past. But they screwed it over this time. Reading all of these give Diretide posts? It might be a bit irritating for "outsiders" but in fact a very viable,alive game with one of the strongest gaming communities ever was bought by valve. In the begining they communicated and had visible progress,I think I can say everyone in the community was glad they did their job that well. But after releasing the game,making it the biggest game on steam and such... there was nothing. There still is nothing. Silence,no updates. Heroes were added in like weekly back in the beta days,there are still A LOT of heroes missing from old DotA 1 and well... no overall progress for months. But it was okay,the people believed in something cool for Diretide (the Halloween event held last year),it was like everyone was saying: "It's okay you don't have the heroes just give us something new to play". NOTHING. Not even a "sorry we cant do it this year" nor bug fixes (this is another pretty big problem,there are about 1000 KNOWN BUGS not being fixed... well,since beta. So everyone was waiting for this update,because hey we didn't get anything else in the near past. Instead of releasing the halloween update they release cosmetic items (slang: hats) to buy. You know there are people refreshing a community driven page every 30seconds to know if there is a really needed update to a game that just went out of beta. There is none. Even sader there is no communication,there is no feel of improvement. There is just more stuff to spend your hard earned money on. And this is why all the people are mad and why this is absolutely legitimate. BECAUSE IT IS OUR (THE CUSTOMERS (its f2p,but the majority of this community spent money in good will)) way to show our disagreement IN HOPE TO CHANGE VALVES BEHAVIOUR IN THE FUTURE. Again this is not about DotA in general,this is about the games treatment by valve. they are literally killing their own child. I hope this is strong enough to beware em Expand
  92. Nov 1, 2013
    bad
    just terrible
    dont play this garbage
    bad
    just terrible
    dont play this garbage
    bad
    just terrible
  93. Nov 1, 2013
    Worst pr ever in video game industry. The game may be f2p,but playing the game feels like becoming a slave of Valve. Here's why:

1. Players customers do not deserve to have any information. No twit, no forum post, no facebook post, no blog... nothing. Wait and if Valve wanna give you something; otherwise off.

2. Update priorities always based on hats. Heroes release date determined
    by hats. If hats not ready, won't release new hero. Furthermore, for the past 3 months, except for 1 balancing patch, all updates were about hats.

3. Bug is good for Valve so why fix it?

4. No ladder, bad mmr system, no players rating, wins rate hidden...

Gratz Valve you manage to surpass EA as the worst company in US.
  94. Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks for Diretide 2013
    Year Event expectations and they did not even bother to write anything, delete that game
  95. Nov 8, 2013
    Yes finally DireTIde great game the graphics is very nice and fits the game very good. I love this game its also got a good community but some people are jack asses and will still be jack asses
  96. Nov 1, 2013
    give diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretidegive diretide Expand
  97. Mar 11, 2014
    This game destroyed my friends and killed my entire family. **** this game yeah **** it lol asdgaigrjseriugdfignsdjifgnsdjifsdfgsdfgjsdofijgsiodfj sdfgoijsdfosjidfiogjioj sdfoigjdfg gifjty
  98. Nov 2, 2013
    My favourite game of all time. Improving all time with new [weekly] updates, great gameplay, great design. Only thing this game lack good community, but it is not really a game fault.
  99. Nov 9, 2013
    hanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethanks for diretidethank
  100. Nov 2, 2013
    NO Diretide
    NO New Hero
    NO Normal matchmaking system
    New updates is new sets and tickets.
    MORE TICKETS AND HATS
    MORE! MORE TICKETS AND HATS! MORE!

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.