6.4

1. Nov 2, 2013
    No region locks.
    Time-consuming pointless game, with a toxic community.
    It's not fun, it won't lead you anywhere, it'll try to make you addicted to it and ever-miserable for being so.
    Nothing to see here except vanity.
  2. Nov 8, 2013
    ATTENSION!!!
    ༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE༼ Gave DIRETIDE
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    Communication restored and admitted mistakes. Admitted mistakes, when was the last time you saw a big company with a big cash cow admit their mistakes without a lawsuit? Never. Valve can be trusted and while MM always gives you hard close games, i guess it is fair for both sides.
  4. Nov 2, 2013
    No DIRETIDE.

Even every s**tty game has its own Halloween event. Game companies try to satisfy game fans, adding new or remodelled things into a game, and players are happy bcs of fun. I bet they will add tons of new hats soon. I have never cared, but now... Gtfo with hats.

AND. I have played dota 2 for more than 1050 hours it´s an awesome game. But actually, no diretide no love
    for you volvo and your car called doto. Expand
  5. Nov 2, 2013
    thanks for halloween No Diretide very bad
    Disband Volvo please.
    Being a big fan of DotA 1 for so many years, I have to downvote this.ewrwfdfsafasfdsa
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    Is a good game on every level BUT is stupidly build around and infinite number of entry barriers for new players. Learn to play is sickening but if you do you will enjoy for sure. Also, there's that, you don't enjoy Dota 2 until you really mastered it wich is a bad thing, Imo.
  7. Nov 2, 2013
    This game, is just perfect.

lots of people are disappointed because of the Diretide, but they are working on the new heroes, they are almost done and i bet they will come in by Christmas, so there's no need to rage, you can play Diretide at unofficial servers, it's just as fun!
  8. Nov 2, 2013
    great graphics
    - great music
    - great multiplayer experience
    - great viewing experience
    - great depth of game play
    - great competitive match making
    - great game over all
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    un juego de mierda, no existe el balance, al parecer a valve no le importa la experiencia que tienen sus jugadores, nisiquiera hubieron eventos de halloween.
  10. Nov 2, 2013
    Only the graphics are good, the SLOW animations, and heroes that seem to be desing with no balance in mind ruin the game.
    You will often find people complaining about heroes, they may be balanced in the numbers but there are many skills that are mechanically OP, like traveling the whole map to hit someone and then lock them in stuns with a RGN stun ability.
    Huge lack of balance while in
    other mobas you can only find maybe 1 or 2 OP characters that are then rebalanced. Expand
  11. Nov 9, 2013
    good game :D
    best graphics better than lol!
    its out of beta but still need a bit of fixing of bugs and heros and spells
    need more heros and custom maps and modes like three or four teams in same map
    or tag team matches
  12. Nov 2, 2013
    Where is my Diretide, Volvo? Where new heroes? Why so many useless sets and items?
    I waited a long time Halloween in Dota 2 and what I got in the end? Few sets and tickets!!!
    Good job Volvo, good job!
  13. Nov 2, 2013
    Valve advertised Diretide as an annual event but it was not implemented this Halloween. Now it seems like the only thing updated in Dota 2 is the workshop. Who needs a new jug mask or omni hammer, not me. I know running Dota 2 takes a lot of time and effort but Valve needs to get their priorities straight and not drop the ball.
  14. Nov 3, 2013
    The community in this game is horrible, and as an multiplayer game, that ruins pretty much the whole game. Everyone is at odds with each other, on their own team, and making the smallest mistakes causes everyone else on the team to come down on you like a stack of bricks. But not just that. Its matchmaking system is flawed and obtuse. There is no transparency in the rankings at all. The connection is horrible. If you disconnect, chances are that you won't be able to join the game again. If you do, you'll be so far behind that it isn't fun anymore. All the updates for this game fix none of the problems, instead, what does the developer do?

The developer just releases cosmetics patches to milk more money from this game. It's not getting better. Don't play this game, don't try it, and don't touch anything by Valve ever again. If you want to play a MOBA, there are plenty of better choices out there.
  15. Nov 3, 2013
    First off you'll be finding a match for 10-20 min then when you find it it's 70 russian players feeding & quitting. Played the game for 50 hours but it's not as good as League of legends Game looks ugly Mechanics are old and wtf is up with turning it takes like ages to turn Also hero balance is up the ass
  16. Nov 3, 2013
    The game developers have left the game. If you think im complaining about diretide, im not. Im still disappointed though Their devs never read our threads on the forums, they just opened it so that their website looks professional. All they do to the game is update new store items, as if they havent got enough from the TI3. 3 freaking million to them. We asked for 2 heros, i bet months ago, they aint do Havent done anything to the game since TI3, all they made was a ****ty team controller which doesnt even looks good, their pads looks like it could break apart anyday. One poitn i wanna mention is that their community sucks, aint reply All they want is money. THEY JUST WANT THE MONEY. so dont even bother playing this game. Expand
  17. Nov 3, 2013
    Of course this is the best MOBA at the moment, but still not perfect with balance, users->development communications and in-community atmosphere. There is a strong commercial orientation, that covers with "hatz" but still this is a main object of Valve(ita obviously, i know). Why this isn't 10 out of 10? 1) TOO MANY insulting "pro" kids in every game, and there is no way to avoid them or punish. 2)There is no any(!) ladder system for players, just some brackets system that hidden. 3)Too strong orientation for professional scene, but 99% of players(like me) just playing non pro games, so what is the reason to re-balance game with patches which one is good only for pro?
    So 7 out of 10 if fair at the moment.
    I hope this game becomes 10/10 very soon =P
  18. Nov 3, 2013
    Time-consuming pointless game, with a toxic community.
    Nothing to see here except vanity.
  19. Nov 3, 2013
    It's a brilliant game only reason the metacritic is so low is because people hyped themselves up about a patch that wasnt even promised then got angry when it didnt happen.
  20. Nov 3, 2013
    This is probably the most satisfying game ever. Those who are whining about bad system and communication problems are just mad about the fact there was no Diretide this year. I love Diretide too but the absence of this mode doesn't mean that Dota is a bad game. I put 9.5/10 to this game because it seems to all my friends and me to be brilliant.
  21. Nov 3, 2013
    Brilliant game, never played a game more well rounded and enjoyable. Would not have written the review though if it weren't for all these negative reviews given by angry fans of the game. Do not be mislead, each of these bad reviews is simply a troll.
  22. Nov 9, 2013
    THANKS VALVE(づ。◕‿◕。)づ THANKS VALVE(づ。◕‿◕。)づ THANKS VALVE(づ。◕‿◕。)づ THANKS VALVE(づ。◕‿◕。)づ THANKS VALVE(づ。◕‿◕。)づ THANKS VALVE(づ。◕‿◕。)づ THANKS VALVE
  23. Nov 3, 2013
    No diretide, no fun
    All they want is more money
    more money
    **** dota 2, go back to warcraft dota 2 if you want to play it

Current status of Dota is bad.

GIVE DIRETIDE
  24. Nov 3, 2013
    Terrible matchmaking, no ladders, no region lock, additional cosmetics for the same heroes. Missing a few characters like Techies, Terror Blade, Phoenix, Xin etc.
  25. Nov 3, 2013
    The game is great, the community is the single worst community of games i have ever met, because this game is team based it ruins the game, on top of this the lack of seasonal events that have been promised that have not happens letting down many players of this game, making us further think that valve do not listen to what the people want and are more interested in making hats.
  26. Nov 3, 2013
    A lot of bugs, bad balance patches that only produce more bugs, even engine is bugged. Still no old modes, like "radiant vs dire". Even tho community is bad in a lot of matches it is bad that you can get mute ban, instead of just mute the person that is flaming. Only thing that is really good is the art style.
  27. Nov 3, 2013
    I played a lot of Valve games before this one, and to be honest I played LoL before this and I didn't like it at all. I didn't even know this existed until its second year. And I must say I have gained more out of this game than any other. Compared to other games, this game has hours, months, and for many, years of play without losing value. It seems like a new game every time because there is no two matches that are the same. The only complaint is that when you play solo you get the bottom of the barrel, so parting up with some friends is the best way to go. Expand
  28. Nov 5, 2013
    This is an amazing, polished and fun multiplayer experience.

If any of you are confused as to why this game has such a low user score, here is the reason: http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/1152

It would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad.
  29. Nov 5, 2013
    Nice game, but crappy community, the only bad thing i see about the game, is the matchmaking, it has to be improved ASAP, i love the game but joining pubs alone is a bad experience.
  30. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dota 2 is a pretty good game, but does not balance. It is practically just about to pick better things therefore discourages beginners. Also in the game pile of game elements, but there isn´t good instruction which severely impairs comprehension. Expand
  31. Nov 5, 2013
    Great game. Has unfairly got many unfair reviews because there wasn't diretide. Takes a bit of time to learn, but if you persist, it pays off. Pretty good graphics.
  32. Nov 6, 2013
    Poor implementation, nasty community and generally rather slow paced. I wanted to try this as i loved DOTA 1 and have played a lot of MOBA since but actually it is palid by comparison to LoL and the main thing is Its Just Not Fun!!. My advice is go with LoL
  33. Nov 8, 2013
    What is Dota 2?Dota 2 is crappy matchmaking,horrible community,no communication from developers,no updats,hats and more hats.This game used to be updated every week,the developers used to communicate with the community but now its only hats and no communication.
  34. Nov 8, 2013
    Game is alive DIRETIDE ON THE WAY http://blog.dota2.com/2013/11/not-my-best-work/
    Also always been a really phenomenal game made many friends along the way
  35. Nov 8, 2013
    Very good game, another example of Valve's careful but solid work. Hard to learn, easy to enjoy, deep enough to make you drown Great living and active community that unites in time of crysis, yells what it wants and apologizes for its mistakes. Well, maybe except for russians :D
  36. Nov 8, 2013
    volvo gave diretide all is gud
    diretideodfiamfoisdmfosidmfosdimfiosdmfiosdmifosmdifosmdfoimsdoifmsdiomfsodmfsiodmfsodmfosidmfoismdifosmdfoismdoifmsdoifmsdomifsdf
  37. Nov 8, 2013
    This game is simply amazing. I came from League of Legends to DotA because of a simple thing: freedom. In DotA, anything is possible. You can play any hero you want whenever you want. There is no cost for any hero. This entire game is available for free as soon as you download it.

EVERY HERO IS AVAILABLE AT THE MOMENT OF DOWNLOAD. THERE IS NO IP, NO PURCHASING OF HEROES.

The game
    balance is quite interesting. If you like a competitive scene, DotA has by far the most entertaining scene in gaming history. If you are hardcore there is plenty to see and enjoy. If you just like to see people win money there are casters that will make you piss your pants.

In DotA you will encounter some flame yes, but there are moments in this game that bring such a smile to your face they will last a lifetime. If you don't play DotA you're cheating yourself out of an experience of a lifetime.
  38. Nov 8, 2013
    Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Diretide received! Good job VALVE Expand
  39. Nov 8, 2013
    raise your pumpkins ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Seriously though, I've been playing this game for almost a year now. After having a failed launch at League of Legends and SC:BW, this game finally hit the right notes for me incredibly in-depth, complex gameplay with a self-sufficient community and a constantly-changing meta. Although I started without much guidance, now I can easily join friends who have
    gone through their tutorials. Plus, no matter what kind of player you are, you can find your place in the chaos of the game. My boyfriend is already great at unconventional heroes, despite playing for only three months, and I myself am comfortable as a support.

Dota 2 is a great ARTS that's taking off online and in professional gaming, and if you have the time, I highly recommend it.
  40. Nov 8, 2013
    A superb masterpiece of a game. Prepare for hundreds of your hours to be sunk into this rich and diverse world. Multitudes of heroes to play and master, thousands of different strategies and approaches, one game will never be the same as another. Volvo delivered.
  41. Nov 8, 2013
  42. Nov 9, 2013
    We got diretide !We got diretide !We got diretide !We got diretide !We got diretide !We got diretide !We got diretide !We got diretide !We got diretide
  43. Nov 8, 2013
    Why is DotA 2 so awesome: • Amazing graphics. • One of (If not the) best f2p system I have ever seen. Basically, you can get almost everything for free by dropping at the end of the game or when you level up. Also all the buyable (or droppable) itens era just cosmetic. They don't give you any advantage compared to other people. • Over 100 different heroes with different skills, making each game unique.

• WE HAVE DIRETIDE!!
  44. Nov 8, 2013
    My favourite game over the last... 6 years or so. Played 6000+ matches.
    Excellent job on fast reaction to lack of Diretide community feedback. Eager to see new update. Thumbs up Valve!
  45. Nov 8, 2013
    DIRETIDE WAS GIVEN!!! DIRETIDE WAS GIVEN!!! DIRETIDE WAS GIVEN!!! DIRETIDE WAS GIVEN!!!
    Well, at least Vavle still listen to their Community
  46. Nov 8, 2013
    Is it possible for metacritic to delete a lot of the flame comments or ratings? This game should be 9 or 10. After all people only rated it badly because of the diretide fiasco. If we all agreed and made some sort of petition would it matter?
  47. Nov 8, 2013
    Diretide given. But no seriously, Valve isn't perfect but Dota 2 is honestly an amazing game despite its rather.......vocal community. As for as free-to-play games go, I can easily say that is the best out there and even has a far higher level of production then games that cost $60 and upwards.
  48. Nov 9, 2013
    I just wanted to fix the rating of this game because many players did negative rewievs because of diretide. And I think that game deserves more better score
  49. Nov 9, 2013
    thx thx thx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thxthx thx
  50. Nov 9, 2013
    Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE༼ Got DIRETIDE
  51. Nov 9, 2013
    best gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest gamebest game Expand
  52. Nov 9, 2013
    2451 hours in Dota2, by far the best game I played online. Even after so many hours I still learn new stuff. And with 100+heroes you never get bored. I recommend Dota2
  53. Nov 9, 2013
    Probably the best game in its genre (ARTS, MOBA, Dota-like, whatever you prefer). This game is simply a better version of Dota 1, the game that made this genre famous. It is developed by Icefrog and Valve and they have done an excellent job so far. I would give it 9/10 because there are some bugs but since people started giving it 0 for a dumb reason I decided to give the max possible vote: 10!
  54. Nov 9, 2013
    The quality of this game is unmatched by any in the ARTS scene today. This is a free to play game with an extremely fair business model, unlike that of its competitors. If you're trying to decide between this and League of Legends, choose Dota and thank me later.
  55. Nov 9, 2013
    One of the best, most difficult and truly competitive games I've ever played. It is free and doesn't have any pay-to-win, all heroes are free, the only paid content are cosmetical items that DO NOT change gameplay.
  56. Aug 11, 2014
    Awesome game needs time to learn but at all its just god damn awesome, i would everybody recommend to play it if u like MOBAS/ARTS i go about 3k hours now and i will play way more :) awesome!. Btw the company is talented not like riot haha, i mean the content patches are AWESOME and big
  57. Nov 9, 2013
    Although getting into Dota 2 can be very hard and frustrating initally, it is one of the most rewarding and interesting games out there.
    It may not be for everyone, but everyone should at least give it a shot.
  58. Nov 9, 2013
    Dota 2 is an amazing game if you put in the time and get past the initial learning curve you will find that the complexity of the game is what makes it interesting and enjoyable
  59. Nov 9, 2013
    Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband! Gaem Alive! Volvo Reband!
  60. Nov 9, 2013
    I love the history of DotA and played both the original and stand-alone sequel extensively. There are a lot of children crying about missing Diretide, which wasn't even well liked last year. Which is one of the problems with this game, the community. You're partnered with five other players for 25-60 minutes and they're often not on the same level or they have communication issues. Most often it's the negative behaviour and communication abuse that ruins a match. Dota 2 needs to reward positive players instead of only punishing negative players.

The market is only cosmetic, unlike TF2 who's items affect gameplay. You never need to spend a cent. For a long time I didn't spend anything. Recently I've purchased from both the in-game market and the community market. The community market allowed me to pick up some player sets for a fraction of the regular price.
  61. Nov 9, 2013
    .................................................................Diretide will be given, my soul rests now............................................................................................................................
  62. Nov 9, 2013
    TY volvo Ty volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvoTy volvo :D Ty volvo
  63. Nov 9, 2013
    1600 hours in, not a single regret. Feels like i've scratched the surface, haha!

After getting this game, i haven't played any singleplayer games, totally hooked on this. It just seems every match of dota tells a better story than any game could.

I really can't see myself getting bored of it ever.
  64. Nov 9, 2013
    This game improved so much since it was released on the beta. There are over 90 heroes to choose from currently and the gamplay is as intence and as rewarding as DOTA 1. I know alot of people will be hesitant to try it at first but there has been a new tutorial system implemented in DOTA 2 and I think it will help new comers. I know some people who play LOL might bash in this game, but both games are compleatly different. Its like comparing COD and Battlefield, they are so different that connot be compared. (no preference on either game, I think bot of them are good) Give this game a try, the learning curve is very steep but it is rewarding when you learn. I think this is the best gave valve has ever developed and has been the most played game on steam ever since the second year of beta development. Try it out, its free and badass! Expand
  65. Nov 10, 2013
    Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe Please forgive me gabe.
  66. Nov 10, 2013
    Valve is listening now, they just need to add more game modes and maps and give more heroes, they are a very good company, they dont their customers like EA, and yeah, release HL3
  67. Nov 11, 2013
    I was skeptical of the learning curve, though I had played league of legends, it turned out to be a far for rewarding experience than I had expected. I much prefer the seriour, no-nonsense attitude of most people you find in public games and I must say, the game looks beautiful. It is incredibly polished and there is such a sense of quality I've not found in an online game before.

If
    you are looking to make the jump from LoL or just dip your toe in the Dota, I can't recommend this enough. I love the free to play model, there is literally nothing to lose.

Thanks valve and icefrog!
  68. Nov 11, 2013
    Amazing game. It is impressive how you can spend a couple thousand hours playing this and still are trying to improve and want to play more. It's the sequel of the first "MOBA" or "ARTS" game, DotA, a mod of Warcraft III which is still huge even today. This game improved everything from the original mod and it's still getting bigger. Valve it's a great company and won't let us down. It's a hard and complex game, and it takes an insane amount of time to master (if it's possible), and until then, have fun! Expand
  69. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is certainly worth playing. It's free yet very entertaining and joyful, hard, complicated and requires a calm mind and firm strategy. If you're up for challenge download dota on steam and start playing. it's hard but rewarding
  70. Nov 11, 2013
    Really awesome game. Despite some whining people (with big ego) says, if you are a noob you will play with noobs, and if you really are good, you will play with very high skilled people (sometimes even with pro players) keep it up Valve!
  71. Nov 11, 2013
    (I'm giving this a 10 vs. an 8 or 9 because of Diretide spammers). First off, here's DotA 2, in a nutshell, compared to the major (also "free") competition (skip past this if you want). In DotA 1, you can barely see what's going on; in DotA 2, you can see things. DotA 1 is based off WC3, which is not free, and gets updates ported back; DotA 2 is standalone, and gets updates first, although it is still missing some heroes as of writing. In LoL, you have to unlock or pay for heroes, gameplay-affecting masteries, and have to pay for cosmetics, but some baseline level of Asian-style T&A is free. In DotA 2, all heroes are free, and there is no equivalent to masteries, so the only thing you can spend money on is expensive cosmetics, which do not significantly effect the lower level of baseline T&A. In LoL, meta is very rigid, games snowball easily, and the game is more forgiving to mistakes; in DotA 2, meta is flexible, comebacks are extremely common, and mistakes are punished hard. In HoN, everyone is angry at you and leaves your game; in DotA 2, only select ethnic groups (decided based on a player's mood at time of abandon) are angry at you, and players generally leave the game slightly less. In a nutshell, DotA 1 and HoN are for players that have played for 10 years and put up with the problems. LoL is casual, which makes it trivial to learn and better for playing games with friends. So DotA 2 is basically king right now, if not in player count.

So what makes a DotA 2? It's a MOBA/ARTS/DotA-like game, which means it pits two teams of five heroes against each other, each occupying half of the square map, with territory on opposite corners, divided by the diagonal. Each side has an "ancient" which can be reached through three lanes. The lanes are protected by two barracks (which spawn friendly "creeps" periodically), and 3 towers. The goal of the game is to eventually push with the creeps down the enemy lanes to reach and destroy their ancient. Heroes gain gold and experience by killing enemy and neutral units, which they spend on items and skills that last until the end of the round. So a game goes through the arc of an RPG in about an hour: you normally first spend time hitting low-level creeps with basic attacks, then you take on higher level creeps and enemy heroes with basic abilities and items, and in the endgame (if you could afford the items and skills) you go all out with a nearly full loadout of skills and items. But this arc of battle is made interesting by how the mechanics interact. Interestingly, there are 5 heroes per side, but 3 lanes, meaning that there are several different ways to split heroes between lanes, so you'll often see interesting splits, like trilanes. You can often win the game by going with an esoteric item build (as long as you know what you're doing) and communicating with your team. Thanks to intense fog of war, wards and team communication are fundamental for map control. Positioning and timing are very important during teamfights. And things like last hits/denies introduce skill to even basic farming. You get the idea there are lots of mechanics to keep track of, teamwork is important, and there are ways to learn all of them. DotA 2 is a great game to play with a team of four other friends, and a game with a very high skill ceiling. Thanks to all the different ways the mechanics can fall together, it's a very enjoyable game to watch, too. It's pretty much at the pinnacle of its genre.
  72. Nov 14, 2013
    I've played many games with class based systems and what have you, and they all have major imbalances. The fact that DotA manages to have such finely tuned balanced with the ridiculous amount of heroes is nothing short of amazing. An incredibly fun, balanced, polished game that is completely free to play. What more can you ask for? Play it.
  73. Nov 14, 2013
    Always updating every month or so with amazing amounts of new content and new user and community features. I don't know a better game that continues pushing new content for free. Also, DotA 2 always refines and revamp older characters so they don't get forgotten, new skins and HD remodeling as well
  74. Nov 14, 2013
    I'll start off by saying this; it's not easy. It is however the most rewarding PvP experience I've ever had in a game. I was initially put off for a long time by being intimidated of the community. I thought for sure that I would be harassed non-stop until I got the hang of things, but it turned out that it wasn't the case. I've run into a few half-hearted name callers, but nothing even close to what I'd consider abuse or even irritating.

The tutorial that Valve has introduced worked quite well for me, and eased me into being prepared to play with people. Now, a month after, I think about the game all the time. It will suck you in.
  75. Nov 15, 2013
    Amazing game with awesome features. Perfect upgrade from DOTA1. Valve is putting in tons of effort and it is paying off. I can play this game 100% for free every single day. New content comes regularly and they make a point of keeping the quality high.
  76. Nov 20, 2013
    A game with fantastic graphic and sound assets ruined by the multiplayer portion of the game. The single player training missions and Valve's commitment to keeping the game alive are the only saving graces of this free to play game.

The main part of the game is multiplayer. While Valve have exceeded in delivering great multiplayer experiences in their past games, they've truly dropped
    dropped the ball in Dota 2. It's a team based game but it's an extremely rare occurrence for you and your team to even speak the same language or even reside on the same continent. With the size of the playerbase of Dota 2, that isn't something that can be overlooked.

In this type of game, the entire experience is dependent on team communication. And it's all bad. 95% of communication in this game is namecalling and "report" threats. I thought Counter Strike had the worst community of any multiplayer-centric game until I played Dota 2.

There are tools to get over the language barriers, but that's not the biggest problem. It's the matchmaking. Every game I've played so far has been a white wash for my team or the opponents. People call "GG" after first blood and games rarely last longer than 30 minutes. Since there's almost no penalty for leaving a game, many people abandon and the whole game becomes a waste of time.

As for actual game mechanics, I don't have any praise for those either. Ability descriptions are inconsistent, NPC AI is inconsistent, items are inconsistent, even the hero naming scheme is inconsistent. It feels like a good idea for a game bogged down by engine limitations and poor foresight from the designers. The tutorials explain a little about the game, but players are expected to know almost every ability and item before playing online which is an almost impossible feat without player coaching.

I can't recommend this game to anyone unless they love tower defence and they're playing it offline with bots.
  77. Nov 27, 2013
    This game takes a LONG time to learn, however, this is one of the most rewarding games I've ever played. Starting from DotA 2 beta in December of '12, I had to admit this was my best time playing a game over a prolonged period of time. I never played DotA1, as wasn't old enough when the trend for DotA1 started, but I can easily see why the trend started. This is an amazing game, and an amazing remake of it. Heck, even DotA 1 is still being updated. Overall, it's a great game, just don't get bummed out in low priority, because that's where the flamers are, and get ready to learn how to play. The learning curve is seriously high, but you can definitely learn! Expand
  78. Nov 28, 2013
  79. Dec 3, 2013
    Metascore 90?!!!! Who are the those metacritics? I don't lknow. Prob suck-balls-nerds. Dota 2 sucks ass. After the patch #6.79 I deleted this Valve sucks ass. You are all stupid if you are still playing this sucked--from-ass-****.
  80. May 6, 2014
    Please back 6.77 patch, or please back Disassemble and Active for 'Tranquil Boots'
    Please back 6.77 patch, or please back Disassemble and
    Active for 'Tranquil Boots'
  81. Dec 10, 2013
    I'm going to start by saying dota 2 isn't for everyone. As you can see there is a very even based user score. The gameplay does what it is meant to do and the mechanics of the game are well engineered. Visuals are much nicer than LOL or any other mmoba on the market. But on the other hand it takes a lot of time to fully understand the mechanics of this game and the way it is mean to be played. Lots of negative reviews are poured in because people argue that it is unbalanced and many heroes are OP. This isn't true. Its more so that they don't understand the game well enough to play against these things right. The next thing you should look out for is the community. Most people on dota are horrible people and will yell at you get mad and report you saying you fed. As a member of this gaming community it shames me that I have to play on the same teams as them. Valve does what they can but the report system has backfired to the point where innocent noobs get reported and than quit cause they cant have fun. The reason i ranked this game so high is the problems that come with the game are nothing that valve could have done to fix. Its simply the way that human nature has perverted it and twisted it. However this game is fun and you should definitely give it a try Expand
  82. Dec 12, 2013
    Great game. This was my first incursion in the genre and my first game went horribly bad, I got killed 21 times, got flamed, felt horrible... but I liked the graphics and the attention to detail all around (music, voice acting, gameplay). I knew I could do better if I learned a bit....and I tried again... Boy. The feeling of winning when you do is Glorious! So rewarding! It was just "I may have to do this and this" and it paid off! This game has the most gameplay depth I have ever experienced, super enjoyable and fun. And the community is quite nice once you step ahead of the morons who play at the lower levels. Just try and play a couple games and see what it's like for yourself! Just care not to feed too much, Expand
  83. Dec 19, 2013
    I would normally give this game a 9. But since a bunch of kids gave it a zero because of diretide, I'll give it a 10. It's one of the best competitives teamwork games out there and it's quite polished also.
  84. Dec 24, 2013
    Best game made in the last years, thank you for picking up a bootleg WC3 mod we all loved and got hooked! dismemberd! and life stolen by! Thank you Valve
  85. Dec 28, 2013
    It is not possible to review Dota 2 as a whole game because it is never completed. Unlike the typical yearly release of first-person shooters on the market, Dota 2 is constantly being updated. New features are added every month and the player-base is always growing over time. Since the game's inception in 2011, its developer Icefrog and company Valve Corporation have shown their dedication and ability to continue supporting the game in all its various aspects.
    Dota 2 is the epitome of competition, skill complexity and team strategy.
    Dota 2 has a learning cliff that needs to be conquered by new players if they are to enjoy the game. It is hard, torturous and unforgiving, but the rewards are well worth the effort and time invested. Even for the most dedicated of players and professionals, there are always new challenges to learn as the degree of interactivity in this game is so high that no two games are exactly the same.

Dota 2 is currently free-to-play but, amazingly, does not apply a "Pay-to-win" or "Pay-to-advance" game monetization method. Instead, Dota 2 sells in-game cosmetics that fit into its heroes' themes and colors and provide no advantages or disadvantages at all. Anyone can play the game and never spend a single cent or dollar, and will never be shortchanged in any way. All heroes are available for play and there are no "pay-gates" or "unlock-mechanisms".
  86. Dec 29, 2013
    terrible community, new heroes take forever to release and all that's being released are unnecessary cosmetics, seems to me that valve just cares about making money. On the bright side, it's free to play and has really good gameplay. Certainly the best moba game there is right now.
  87. Jan 7, 2014
    engrossing game. character variety brilliant. lots of player guides. in no time, youll have your favourite characters that you like playing. mine are Shadow Shaman (good fire and forget turret destroyer ultimate until its nerfed if ever). Lycanthrope(good wolves,down boy, hehe) and Mirana. there are a lot of guys who get frustrated if you dont play the game their way- but remember it is a team game. mute the idiots. when you followed other guys plans and it didnt work, hold yer tongue from saying i told you so and think what you are going to do in the next. i like to play for the team as opposed to personal score. much rather die and take down a turret and help win the game than get a good kill score ratio. remember the aim is to destroy the other team's base not just bash their heroes(though it helps) and your creeps (npc henchmen) go a long way to help that. weaken the towers, weaken the other players creeps if you dont destroy them and youll help your creeps in destroying their base. played 2 games a few days ago where my ally just said to us stop pushing meaning stop advancing...silly thing to say as advancing means going fwd (wasnt stop attempting to push). i played with him in 2 games on the trot as an ally. took another ally player (thats how i am)in 2nd to remind him what the aim of the game is). also too many kids which say 'commend me' or 'commend me please' aswell as idiots because that is most definitely what they are, who say 'Report xyz' as if other players dont have a brain-i dread to think how many poor guys have got bans or similar because of the reporting system and other players being led by this if i was valve i'd do away totally with the reporting system. i know its a bit controversial but id have seperate rooms geared for going for the win and going for player score hopefully alleviating the 'lets run around weakening and upsetting the oppo when our score is so stacked right now that we can literally walk into the base and win but lets inflict more pain' mentality for those who dont like doing that. have a variety of game plans, situation dependent. sometimes its good to go as a group but also that one lone guy can achieve much whilst 4 others gank. its whats so good about the game. lots of strategies, lots of characters and a lot of people think they know best, dare i say it, including me, lol. play the game, try it but keep a thick skin. i love it. the mp entry does need sorting though- 1 player declining which sends you all back to matchmaking is a bit silly. Expand
  88. Jan 8, 2014
    I gave this game a chance, I really did. I've given all these cookie-cutter MOBAs more of a chance than they deserve and I'm done. I don't see how anyone can enjoy playing this river of yet it's extremely popular?
  89. Jan 9, 2014
    Many blame the game for its horrible community. It is indeed rude and childish, but to blame the game itself for it would be pointless. As for the game itself, it's pointless to rate a free-to-play product of such quality and stability lower that 10, as Valve has done tremendous job to preserve DotA into Source engine and introduce new elements which help attract new players and old players alike.
  90. Jan 22, 2014
    You will kinda like the game but you will hate the players, and most of your games will suck.

Dota is a complex game, but it's painfully lacking features such game must have or they are terribly executed.

Icefrogs dota 9
    Lacking features -3
    Players i am forced to play with -3
  91. Mar 2, 2014
    Dota 2 score should be split into 2, first should be about the game and I think it'sbrilliant... but it's not the game for a solo player as myself... if you have a group of friends to play it... you will all like it and maybe even win some cash in Dota2 tournaments... this part I'm giving 10

And there is the other side: community and match making. Valve does not pay any attention to
    match making and sometimes it feels like all dota players are russians... you play on US servers: all rusians, you play on europe servers: all russians... you play on south africa servers: all russians. Valve should do something about that problem... but I think DOTA2 is becomming official russian sport like starcraft in south korea. If you are a noob player you will hear unpleasant comment about your parents and your relatives...

Community side of the game is so terrible that its hard to give DOTA2 any fair score... the game itself is brilliant and requires a lot of teamwork... if you dont have a good team... you can still get sucked into this game and even after being shouted and hearling bad stuff about your mother... you will keep playing it and maybe even enjoy it.
  92. Mar 14, 2014
    gtfo league fanboys and stop hating on dota because you decided to play the n00b moba and found dota too hard for you lololololololololololololololololol
  93. Mar 16, 2014
    This game's user score should be at least 2 higher because of all the "DIRETIDE PLZ VOLVO" reviews that people did.
    Anyway this is going to be a short review. The game is free, yet is not pay to win, has around a hundred playable heroes all very different and versatile and is constantly updated. I mean come on, how can you not love it? The graphics are great, mechanics are smooth and no
    single hero is overpowered if the opponent is smart and can utilize his items and hero abilities. This is the TF2 of the MOBA genre, except that it's even better in the retrospect that nothing you buy can aid you to win. The only downside to the game its very steep learning curve but if you put in enough time the game is immensely fun. 200 hours in and I love it to bits. Highly recommended. Expand
  94. Mar 22, 2014
    Horribly unbalanced game. Community is full of immature people. Game for people with no lives. Not for a casual video game player. Would not recommend this trash to anyone.
  95. Apr 2, 2014
    F*cking, terrible. There is literally nothing i found good about this game, I played the original DotA mod for Warcraft III and was hooked, it was **** glorious, but now it is pure **** it doesn't look good in any way, it's slow, and boring, only in the end is it fun, it is in no way good or competitive. Jesus **** Christ, if you haven't played any MOBA before this is THE LAST MOBA you wanna try, it is not newbie friendly, neither is the community, there are few english speaking people who you'll find in this game and the rest are ALL **** RUSSIAN, if you wanna experience a good MOBA you should play smite or LoL (i know, i know... but they're basically DOTA 2 with smoother graphics and more competitive). Long story short, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT BY ANY **** MEANS PLAY THIS HORRID **** GAME. Expand
  96. Apr 19, 2014
    Before I start, I would like to say that I have spent about 2000 hours on the game, and that I quit it about 4 months back.
    Your opinion on this game is based on whether you play it for hours and hours or not.
    The game itself is a well made standalone version of the famous warcraft 3 map. The detail put into the heroes is amazing(Graphic & Audio wise), but still, some fail to live up to
    their war3 counterparts.
    And that's about all of the nice things I have to say about the game.
    It's graphics(not hero design) look dated. But that's not so important.
    You see, this is a team based game, and unless you are going to play with friends, you can bet you're going to get matched with someone who doesn't speak the language you queued up for. The amount of toxicity in the community is insane, and the only counter to it which VALVE have so far is a simple mute, which only ruins the game for people who get matched with the muted player. The game also has an inexcusably huge amount of unfixed, confirmed bugs, if I recall correctly, the number is about ~800.
    Also, ever since The International 2, VALVE have been extremely slow with hero updates(Prior to the The International 2, there were updates that had as many as 3 heroes in them, all coming out each week), while still pushing out cosmetic updates week after week.
    This games learning curve is steep, and you MUST invest time in watching tutorials, streams, trying out things in a lobby(on top of actually playing the game) if you want to make any sort of progress with it.
    This, in my opinion, is not bad, but it is very intimidating for newcomers.
    And with this I'd like to end my review of the game.
    But no matter what I say, this game is still going to grow, and so is it's playerbase. Let's just hope the future is brighter.
  97. Apr 28, 2014
    Definitely one of the best games i've ever played. I started out playing LoL but tried out dota and it turned out to be great! I love it. It's especially fun to play with your friends if you are 5. It makes it more fun and give you more teamplay and you will win easily! Try it!
  98. pew
    Apr 28, 2014
    IF you want a more competitive and complicated moba you may like this game.

Dota2 has the worst gaming community in the world. They are full of ragers and elitist. While this is not uncommon in the gaming world, I have never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. The game is overly complicated and causes rage in 90% of players. Most of the people who I know that enjoy the
    game spend half their time cursing and complaining about it. Requires memorizing champs items etc. It is designed for competitive play, not the unwashed rift raft. Expand
  99. Jun 4, 2014
    After 200 hours i got bored. Maybe I don't like the moba genre. You only have fun if you win. So 50% fun and 50% not fun, especially on a losing streak. This is a very repetitive game. You play on the same map all the time. There is no point in leveling, you don't unlock anything cool. It just gives a treasure box. Winning mmr and then you lose all the mmr you gained, it feels like you wasted your time. Dota 2 needs more maps, game modes, and custom games. Expand
  100. Jun 13, 2014
    I think the game itself is fun but its not for people who are new to gaming cause, while it may sound good, all characters are free which is overwhelming and the tutorial doesn't give you much help. I'm a big fan of LOL so i thought that Dota 2 is an easy to understand game but even i was confused. Although the graphics / platform are better looking, I would say LOL is more. ( LOL is also gonna upgrade the graphics to a much better state next season so if you like better graphics both games are actually the same, LOL is just a bit late.) Expand

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Simply irresistible and addictive as hell.
  2. Sep 1, 2013
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    A great PvP game that offers some of the most intriguing and nuanced team combat around.