8.6

1. Oct 21, 2010
    The best. Ever. Sure, game preference is entirely subjective, but I cant help but feel that the negative review scores this game received were provided by people who never actually played the game. From the start, it's clear that the world of Thedas is an epic place, with conflict, nuances, and thousands of years of history. Likely you disagree, but don't believe the gamers giving thisThe best. Ever. Sure, game preference is entirely subjective, but I cant help but feel that the negative review scores this game received were provided by people who never actually played the game. From the start, it's clear that the world of Thedas is an epic place, with conflict, nuances, and thousands of years of history. Likely you disagree, but don't believe the gamers giving this game a poor score. Beyond being a sublime game, dragon age origins pushes the boundaries of emotion, choice, and freedom within gaming. DAO doesn't simply faithfully receive Baldur's Gate II's mantle of best game out there, it rips that mante from BG2's cold, dead hands, then uses it as a weapon to single handedly enslave every other game in existence. Expand
  2. Nov 2, 2010
    This is one of my favorite games. Extremely interesting story, with a lot of replayability. I ripped through it, and then instantly started again, one of the only times I have done that on any game.
  3. Mar 30, 2012
    Easily the best RPG I've played for at least a decade, if not ever. It's like Baldur's Gate all over again without all the glaring deficiencies of the old D&D ruleset. Great story, great characters, good voice acting, and it's a party-based RPG! The biggest downside to the game is that it has to end at some point. Oh, and the AI is a bit daft if left to its own devices. If you're evenEasily the best RPG I've played for at least a decade, if not ever. It's like Baldur's Gate all over again without all the glaring deficiencies of the old D&D ruleset. Great story, great characters, good voice acting, and it's a party-based RPG! The biggest downside to the game is that it has to end at some point. Oh, and the AI is a bit daft if left to its own devices. If you're even mildly interested in the premise of the game, you really should play Dragon Age: Origins. I want more of the same please! Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2012
    One of the best games that I have played in all my live. It is one of the few ones that you will be able to remember some years later as one exclusive experience. Original, entertaining, long and the most important, exciting. Only a few games will leave you this way.
  5. Apr 2, 2011
    This is probably one of the best RPG's i've played. The Origins stories and multiple endings really add to the replayability, as if you don't get enough entertainment and playtime in one playthrough. The combat system is exciting, and i like the tactical element.
    Overall a fantastic game.
  6. Dec 23, 2010
    Firstly this is the best fantasy RPG ever released, it has its problems but none of them take away from its epicness.

Gameplay The gameplay, which is instantly familiar to anyone who has played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which itself it another Bioware wonder, is based around a team of 4 controlled in a semi real time manner, meaning the game is based of a background clock

Gameplay
    The gameplay, which is instantly familiar to anyone who has played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which itself it another Bioware wonder, is based around a team of 4 controlled in a semi real time manner, meaning the game is based of a background clock which is sometimes refered to as ticks, so for instance your character may swing there weapon every 4 ticks. you choose one of 3 classes which each have the own starting story to expllain how they got the start of the game. the biggest complaint i have seen is that your ai partners are sometimes a bit slow, however there is a option to give them custom tactics and set parameters for activating moves, changing targets, when to use items etc. Some people who clearly missed the point say that bioware just couldnt be bothered to script the ai itself, where as i say that they have given the ai the ability to the basics of there build such as a healer healing but they have also constructed a command input system that will allow you to set up a custom team just as you like. if u cant be bothered with this ai is perfectly capable. The gameplay is smooth and easy to maintain control of with a zoom feature from over the shoulder to a battlefield view, which is this kind of game is possible the most useful feature ever i cannot praise the zoom featue enough. But should the combat get out of hand u can just hit space and pause the game give your team the commands to help tip the balance and then unpause as you watch your actions lead your team to victory ( lol i sound like a roman general/nerd). When your not fighting you will be talking to NPC's or exploring, your repsonce is not spoken instead you select it from a list of responses, but all major and some non major characters have full diologue in other words the only things you have to read are a few lines at most. The characters are voiced beautifully and the actors give some amazing performances worthy of any voice over movie. Should be the reading type then you can hunt for entries to the codex which is basically a history of dragon age book, and will tell u all about the extensive backstory and lore of the game.

Graphics Well what can i say but WOW, i have a high end gaming machine hooked up to a 32 inch Hd-TV and the game looks absolutly amazing, to anyone with a good pc ignore the console versions of this game its much better on with added depth from the modding community but more on that later. The characters both major and non major look stunning., with great facial animations and movement. In combat all enemies look stunning and without spoiling anything some of the early cinematics are just jaw droppingly good. The animations in general are top notch with anything from swing a sword to waving goodbuy looking awesom. My personal faveorite part though are called death animations and these are basically random when fighting most enemies with a few exeptions and your character will kill the target in some sort of cool way, especially on the bigger monsters/creatures you fight they are a joy to watch. Linear Vs non linear This game is not fully open ended, such as fallout 3 or the eldar scrolls oblivion, but i have never had a problem with scripted games. This game gives the impression of a go any where do anything which is my opinion is harder to do than a big game world full of trees. All it means is that the bits that you see are beautiful to behold the dwarven cities being right up my street. At the game time though the game is no so linear as to force a player down a path and there are many to choose from esepcially when choosing to help/kill weather to be good/evil etc.

The modding community
    2 words "amazingly epic", so many well done mods out and a great community to ask for help should you need it. The modders on sites like dragon age nexus are masters of the craft and should be hired this second by a company such as bioware. Bioware themselves are pretty clever giving an easy way to install/remove mods from your game. Conclusion
    Going into this game i was not sure as i am not the biggest fan or these kinds of combat systems but i have eaten my words with my foot in my mouth, it blew me away. Not once during this game have i ever felt stressed. I have enjoyed every minuite of playing this game, and being a game with 50 hours+ in one play though and having completed the game around 9 times (yes im sad but it should tell u how good it is lol ), it is alot of time. I know i said at the start of this review there are bad points and well erm i suppose i should mention one, erm............ errrrrrrrr..................hmmmmm well i cant think of any :P oh yeah it consumed a lot of my time lol. i would have mentioned the story in detail but no enough words, so i will simply say that which ever way you take the story its epic.
  7. Jan 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great and fabulous game! I have played it at least 3 times, doing all possible quests, always as a mage... i love being a mage. But now i'm playing as a human noble, and it is fantastic!!! i have all dls'c and awakaning has sucha nostalgic feeling, makes em get deeply evolved and missing the original game!!! i realy got evolved and touched by the game story and gameplay is marvelous!!! nice graphics... the only problem is that the main character should speak like in mass effect!! well, have fun, it's realy worth the try!! Expand
  8. Jan 20, 2012
    As time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs likeAs time goes on, I look back with more and more fond memories of Dragon Age: Origins. When I first played the game, I was lukewarm to it. I thought it was decent, but too much of an old-school RPG. But as I played the game more, and after I beat it the second time, I realized that Dragon Age may be one of the finest RPGs ever created. The same warm feelings I have for classic RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights are now applying to Dragon Age as well. Bioware's singular ability to create a world and populate it with interesting characters, events, and locations is on full display. It's such a shame that Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment. Hopefully DA3 will live up to this amazing game. Until then, I shall be playing this game over and over, and forgetting that DA2 even exists. Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2011
    An absolutely engrossing RPG with compelling companions, huge strategic battles and a memorable (if slightly generic) background story. I played this one through non-stop over the course of a few days. It was difficult to tear myself away. And I went back and played it a few more times through as different classes and genders. I enjoyed each play-through thoroughly. There are some minorAn absolutely engrossing RPG with compelling companions, huge strategic battles and a memorable (if slightly generic) background story. I played this one through non-stop over the course of a few days. It was difficult to tear myself away. And I went back and played it a few more times through as different classes and genders. I enjoyed each play-through thoroughly. There are some minor annoyances such as shuffling during fights and the many 'fetch' quests that plague most RPGs but the story more than makes up for it along with a beautiful world and unforgettable companions. Epic and engrossing. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2012
    Dragon Age Origins is the best Rpg game that i have ever played, and i have played many rpgs like : gothic,diablo,elder scrolls,dungeon siege,mass effect,fallout and many more, but none of them made me lose track of time or being so fascinated by the world which they delivered like Dragon Age Origins. This game is my most favorite game and i can't even explain of how amazing this game is.Dragon Age Origins is the best Rpg game that i have ever played, and i have played many rpgs like : gothic,diablo,elder scrolls,dungeon siege,mass effect,fallout and many more, but none of them made me lose track of time or being so fascinated by the world which they delivered like Dragon Age Origins. This game is my most favorite game and i can't even explain of how amazing this game is. The story is amazing one of the best which i experienced, the gameplay is very unique and i guess some will not like the gameplay but for me the gameplay was perfect, character are funny,amusing,interesting and very easy to like, the graphic for me is very beautiful and i didn't encounter any bugs or any kind of technical issue. All the rpg elements like customization,dialogue,exploration,side missions,items and inventory,skills,abilities,experience and levels all of that is executed perfectly. In the end the only thing i can say about Dragon Age Origins that this is the best game i have ever played in my life Expand
  11. Jun 11, 2011
    With Dragon Age Origins Bioware showed quite well that when it comes to telling a story and putting you at the head of it, their are still the best around. Someone could complain that the interface is not perfect, the graphics now always top level, the battles somewhat repetitive after a while. But in the end what makes the game great is that you have a run through a wonderful story whileWith Dragon Age Origins Bioware showed quite well that when it comes to telling a story and putting you at the head of it, their are still the best around. Someone could complain that the interface is not perfect, the graphics now always top level, the battles somewhat repetitive after a while. But in the end what makes the game great is that you have a run through a wonderful story while meeting truly memorable characters which will hold a place in your heart all along those from your favourite movies and books. And this is something which largely compensate for every minor flaw, making it rather irrelevant... Expand
  12. Jun 20, 2011
    Player through this game 6 times and found something new each time. Read both books, The Stolen Thrown and The Calling. Great story telling and attention to detail; truly epic.
  13. Jul 1, 2011
    Awesome game, I highly recommend it! Just completed it and I want to start again. I can honestly say I haven't played such great RPG for very long time. Grab this masterpiece.
  14. Jul 4, 2011
    One of the best RPG's released in a decade. The story is riveting and deep, the characters are believable and fun to interact with. The options in every situation that affect the outcome of the game are thoughtful and well implemented.
  15. Aug 26, 2011
    One of the best rpg's ever! The only downside is that battle can be challenging, but is that really a downside? Playing the elf mage I think has the best storyline. The dialogue/conversations are as realistic as any game i've ever played. great voice acting. Do yourself a favor by getting Origins as opposed to Dragon Age 2 which is the complete opposite.
  16. Nov 6, 2011
    As a fan of RPG games, this game with Baldurs Gate take first place in my RPG list. This game taking your whole mind into this magic world. The story is made perfectly, side quest are interesting, the choices which you are making makes diffrence in the future, there`s everything what good RPG game should have. If you haven`t played it... just DO IT.
  17. Sep 15, 2011
    This is one of my favorite games. I just love almost everything in this game: gameplay, characters, cutscene, graphics, and even control I really liked, well, nothing I can not help myself! =) Another great game from the hardcore BioWare!
  18. Nov 8, 2011
    One of my all-time favorites. This is a shameless D&D style nerdfest of an RPG and I wouldn't have it any other way. The combat is a bit clunky, but it was crafted that way on purpose. The fighting has more of a chessboard feel, really.
  19. Oct 31, 2012
    Great story line. The characters are very well defined. The play could use a bit of work, but the game is so addictive that, you probably won't care. The comments your party make are very funny. I often change up members just to hear the different interactions.
  20. Dec 18, 2012
    At first I was not attracted by the tactical gameplay approach that Bioware had chosen. However, Dragon Age: Origins quickly changed my mind with its compelling storyline and perfect balance between action and dialogue.

In the character selection you can select between different races, origins and classes, which will influence your game experience. This results in extremely customizable characters. You will need to choose one of six unique origin stories, which will determine how the different races of Ferelden will treat you throughout the game.

With blood, gore, and dragons you will experience scary cutscenes that introduces you to the life as a Grey Warden. You travel through Ferelden trying to free the country from the darkspawn and the arch demon. Murder, treason and politics; all interfering with your epic quest. It is now up to you and your comrades to liberate this country. The experience was a perfect balance between beautiful outdoor areas and the frightening depths of the Deep Roads lurking with darkspawn.

The innovating gameplay implemented by Bioware does work brilliantly and instead of the usual hack-n-slash RPG you get a more strategic and at times more challenging adventure. At any time, you will have the opportunity to pause and consider the situation. This gives you a chance to regroup and plan the perfect way to get rid of your foes. Another twist compared to the Elder Scrolls and The Witcher series is that you do not only control your protagonist, but you control a band of heroes fighting your way through hordes of darkspawn, bandits and dragons! Bioware has truly created a game with an epic storyline. The personalities you will meet throughout the game are creative and original because of the intelligent voice acting that brings the characters to life. Even when you walk through town they will chat about numerous things, such as their pasts, races and classes.

As player you should expect gorgeous graphics, but also a challenging game with difficulties that can get even the most hardcore players on their toes! The game mechanics are easy accessible and very fast to learn. Dragon Age: Origins is definitely a must buy for all RPG fans!

Dragon Age: Origins is one of the best roleplaying games of this decade all up there with the Elder Scrolls and Fallout.
  21. Aug 21, 2010
    This is one of the best story driven RPG's ever released. The great strength of this game lies in its immersive story and compelling characters. Bioware has created an epic fantasy world that draws you in from the opening scenes and holds you up till the final credits and beyond. The sound track is hauntingly beautiful and sets the mood wonderfully.
    The weakness of this game is that the
    The weakness of this game is that the game play does not quite match up quality wise to the story. The graphics, while not horrible, aren't overly impressive either. The combat can get repetitive after a while and the AI can be buggy in places. And it's almost too easy even on higher difficulties. Despite these flaws I found it to be a highly riveting game. It's like an epic fantasy novel that you can play instead of read. If your the kind of person who can get lost in a good book for hours on end, then Dragon Age: Origins is a must have. If however you play RPG's strictly for the combat and item collecting, you may be disappointed with this title.
  22. Nov 1, 2010
    I loved this game, same style gameplay as KOTOR. The combat was fun to watch, and I really was able to get into the storyline. The dialogue was very well done IMHO. This was one of my favorite games now, and will always have a spot on my hard drive (except for alot of the DLC, most of it was done very poorly)
  23. Mar 11, 2011
    Pretty good, overall. I enjoyed the storyline and the world it set up. I can imagine Bioware will have a few sequels for this.
    It's no NWN or BG, but we're not gonna see anything like those for a while, I imagine. They're just not popular anymore.

Characterisation was great, dialogue was good, voice acting was good, graphics were good, plot was interesting. Combat was good, although the blood effects were over the top. Disappointed me that there were party members committed to fighting the blight who just sat around in camp all day doing nothing, but the only way around that is to have less party members.

One of the best RPGs I've played. Sure, it's not the best, but I enjoyed it.
  24. Mar 14, 2011
    Now since I restarted DAO cause of DA2. I look over everything I see. Story, detail, graphics, music, game play and Reply value.

The Story: It is amazing for this game. Well thought and well Detailed. Spread over the whole map. The main story line is amazing it drags you in from the get go. Straight to the end of the game. The side quests are great to again all over the map. Certainly gives you that extra bit to work on even if it only gives a little extra bit of game play. Even with character stories to. Some meld together. Even the interaction talks while wondering about. It all works together perfectly.

The Detail: Tones in my book. Just perfect for a long RPG. Which is what it should be. Certainly a lot to read to give you more detail and draw you into the game world. Which it should. Cause that moment you start to play it should drag you in which it dose with this. Many might say that tones of reading is boring. But this is always a key point to good RPG. No way you could have some one just speak it all out. Some might say that would be better some would say not. Hence why having both in it. Is much better. The detailed conversations from the characters and npc's down to the codex notes which give you information.

The Graphics: Perfect and still now perfect in my books for an RPG like this one. The Characters are life like, even in the cinematic's. The towns and Cities are well detailed and work with the time period of the game. The npc's and even the animals. The darkness in it work even well better for game and story. Some might say it dose not. But I beg to differ.

The Music: It is great. It enhances the game amazingly, drawing you into the game even more. So much work put into it, It is certainly one of the things I love in this game. Nothing more I can say.

The Reply Value: The reply value of this game. Is great to reply as the other classes certainly makes it worth while indeed. Even go different ways with them in the sense of character. Yes there is mods out there you can use to further enhance that. But on just the game it is perfect. It is certainly one game I will reply many times out of my large and I use that loosely game collection.

Overall: This game is one all you RPG players should certainly have. Graphics, story, Detail. Everything works perfectly for this game. I give this 100% and 10/10
  25. Mar 16, 2011
    A script and dialogue to rival Planescape: Torment. That's the highest praise I could ever give a game. Play it through and be prepared to be engrossed, captivated, and moved in equal measure. As far as a sidenote in terms of gameplay, its rather micro-managed combat can take a bit of getting used to, but is ultimately rewarding and challenging. Looks great, plays great, reads evenA script and dialogue to rival Planescape: Torment. That's the highest praise I could ever give a game. Play it through and be prepared to be engrossed, captivated, and moved in equal measure. As far as a sidenote in terms of gameplay, its rather micro-managed combat can take a bit of getting used to, but is ultimately rewarding and challenging. Looks great, plays great, reads even better. Utterly superb. Expand
  26. Apr 10, 2012
    This game is very decent and features a solid plot along with many different little paths that can greatly alter your experience. However, it failed to give me the desire to continue playing, as combat was slow, and progress, seemingly insignificant.
  27. Sep 5, 2011
    If you have the ultimate edition like me, you'll find this is one of the best RPGs in long time, unlike the sequel which is pretty crap due to console button bashing gameplay, this game maintains a PC grade experience who prefer a bit of strategy and planning. Excellent story, decent graphics, easily 100+ hours of gameplay.
  28. Jun 24, 2011
    One reviewer called this game a love letter to the classic RPG, and it's true. Huge, epic story on the scale of BG2, side plots, romance and a climactic final battle. Dragon Age: Origins brings the formula up to date. It has top-down-view tactical combat with a custom ruleset that works far better than the D&D one -- no "resting", and warriors and rogues have a range of abilities now!One reviewer called this game a love letter to the classic RPG, and it's true. Huge, epic story on the scale of BG2, side plots, romance and a climactic final battle. Dragon Age: Origins brings the formula up to date. It has top-down-view tactical combat with a custom ruleset that works far better than the D&D one -- no "resting", and warriors and rogues have a range of abilities now! Multiple endings, and even a gay romance plot that's been the subject of controversy but that I thought was rather good and a step forward for the genre. A little cliche and with some slow bits, but basically excellent. Expand
  29. Jul 5, 2011
    Dragon Age Origins has a different feel than most RPG's that i am used to, though i still enjoyed the game the story sucked me right in yet it wasn't perfect the mechanics were fun but took some getting used too gameplay was more strategic than action this is were it hurts me the most i like Action Role Playing Games like Diablo 2 LOD and Dragon Age Origins took some getting used to. OverDragon Age Origins has a different feel than most RPG's that i am used to, though i still enjoyed the game the story sucked me right in yet it wasn't perfect the mechanics were fun but took some getting used too gameplay was more strategic than action this is were it hurts me the most i like Action Role Playing Games like Diablo 2 LOD and Dragon Age Origins took some getting used to. Over all this game is worth the money If you are interesting don't hesitate its should be relatively cheap now. Expand
  30. Nov 2, 2013
    Simply one of the best role playing computer games ever made, a fascinating world that sucks you in with superbly realized characters and a great game mechanic. One of Bioware's best, and that's saying something,

1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!