Dragon Age: Origins PC

8.7

1. F.D
    Feb 18, 2010
    It has been a while since I could appreciate a good game and all the depth it offers. I can honestly say that I've played this game 4x times now, a very fun experience. The storyline is captivating and I felt like doing every side mission also. There are a few downsides to the game also - Graphics seem a bit outdated in comparison to Mass Effect ( feels rushed ), but this can be It has been a while since I could appreciate a good game and all the depth it offers. I can honestly say that I've played this game 4x times now, a very fun experience. The storyline is captivating and I felt like doing every side mission also. There are a few downsides to the game also - Graphics seem a bit outdated in comparison to Mass Effect ( feels rushed ), but this can be remedied by downloading player mods which tweak out most of the graphical downturns. Also your own character does not give a voice reply in conversations, which takes away from the game a bit more and the dialogue in general is not as cool as it is was in Mass Effect but these are just minor faults that I'm hoping that Bioware will tweak out in their next release of the Dragon Age series. Overall it is a very fun game for people who enjoy rpg games with a nice storyline. Expand
  2. Sep 21, 2016
    After the second time I clearly need to rethink about the game. The first time I didn't realize how exhausting fights in this game can be. Areas are too big, I've never would have thought I'll say that, every door, every corner - hostiles and not easy to beat but demanding solid tactic, especially playing a mage. The story is little cliche, though interesting. Certainly a mile stone inAfter the second time I clearly need to rethink about the game. The first time I didn't realize how exhausting fights in this game can be. Areas are too big, I've never would have thought I'll say that, every door, every corner - hostiles and not easy to beat but demanding solid tactic, especially playing a mage. The story is little cliche, though interesting. Certainly a mile stone in role playing and gaming itself but not friendly for casual players, focused too much on fights, bosses. Expand
  3. Sep 30, 2011
    Pluses: Great story, totally believable and interesting characters, superb voice acting and good music, good lore and some very well written material. Minuses: Enemies, weapons and armour are all very bland and do not have much variation. Combat is ok but you find yourself spamming the same spells/abilities a lot. Character classes and abilities are so-so.
    The Deep Roads dungeon is
    The Deep Roads dungeon is extremely tedious and predictable, the Fade only slightly less so. Those two areas discouraged me from playing through for a third time and I've not had the urge to play again since the game came out. I expected better from Bioware.
  4. Nov 11, 2013
    if you asked me 20 hours in I probably would have given this game a 9, but soon after I found myself rapidly becoming bored of the game play and what I felt was a fairly cliche fantasy story-line. The game was definitely very entertaining and definitely worth giving a shot, unique in its strategic mechanics they will keep you enthralled initially, but overall I feel that this is simply aif you asked me 20 hours in I probably would have given this game a 9, but soon after I found myself rapidly becoming bored of the game play and what I felt was a fairly cliche fantasy story-line. The game was definitely very entertaining and definitely worth giving a shot, unique in its strategic mechanics they will keep you enthralled initially, but overall I feel that this is simply a good game not a great one. Expand
  5. Jan 11, 2015
    Good RPG overall and a nice throwback to old hits like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights. The story played out fairly well and I found a few characters somewhat interesting. Graphics were fine though nothing noteworthy and voice acting was fine. I liked the strategic elements where you can pause and organize your party to work together. For the most part, everything was above average inGood RPG overall and a nice throwback to old hits like Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights. The story played out fairly well and I found a few characters somewhat interesting. Graphics were fine though nothing noteworthy and voice acting was fine. I liked the strategic elements where you can pause and organize your party to work together. For the most part, everything was above average in the game and it was a memorable journey but there are a few things that could be better.

First, classes are somewhat dull except for mages. Mages are significantly more powerful than any other class in the game. They can be the best damage dealers, best healers, best tank and best control unit on the field, all at once if you build your mage well. Other classes are somewhat boring and very prototypical of any old RPG with exception to archers who are fodder in this game. In many ways, the classes in this game felt too old school. Back then we had limits due to technology but today you can you do better. There should have been more options, more classes, more weapons, etc. For that reason I cant rate it as high as its predecessors since it brought nothing new to the table.

Next, its a very linear game. Although this is not always bad, it does make replays very boring and I never did finish a replay of this game out of boredom. Everything is linear from enemies, to gear to maps. The only things that change are how you handle quests since you have more than one option. All that said, it is still much better than most console style jRPG's in terms of linearity.

Overall a good game. Well above average and a game that I might play again one day though not for a while.
  6. Sep 9, 2016
    Overrated action RPG trying to exploit the Baldur's gate nostalgia of fans, posing as a "spiritual successor" to it, but being a mediocre console game.

People seem to think that Dragon Age series got worse with II and Inquisition, but trust me, true Bioware fans like me were enraged with Origins. This is a bad game. It is not a deep RPG, more like RPG-lite. The combat system is tedius, boring, and lacks true strategy and tactics.

The game is long and has good content, but the story is trash and the various "twists" are telegraphed hours away. It has good romancing options, but who plays video games for "romancing options"? Seriously?

All in all, it is a good RPG-lite, with nice production values, that will satisfy you, but it is far away from a master piece. It signaled the downward spiral of Bioware after its acquisition from EA. True RPG experts knew when the played origins, that Bioware as we knew it was gone.

This is a 8/10 game, considering 2009 standards. I am giving it a 5, to lower the average.
  7. Dec 30, 2010
    If you're into action RPG at all this game will keep you busy for several hours. It features, playable races: Humans, Elves and Dwarfs. It only got 3 classes to choose from, but once chosen you can further specialise the class by choosing sub-classes. Each race offers a 30-minute long pre-quest, which makes you feel involved in your character. The graphics isn't stunning, but it's goodIf you're into action RPG at all this game will keep you busy for several hours. It features, playable races: Humans, Elves and Dwarfs. It only got 3 classes to choose from, but once chosen you can further specialise the class by choosing sub-classes. Each race offers a 30-minute long pre-quest, which makes you feel involved in your character. The graphics isn't stunning, but it's good looking. The controls are good, even though it's available on console as well.

The game comes with a few flaws that drag down the over-all score. For instance, the game will become gradually more sluggish, that can only be solved by restarting the game. The game can crash at random occasions, so you have to save often. The combat is not very engaging, it feels as if you do the same thing over and over. And the travel system is annoying to use because you will, virtually every time you fast-travel, be attacked, so travel takes much more time that it would have to.

To sum it up, it's a good game that is worth buying, however keep in mind the flaws, especially the one about saving a lot.
  8. Mar 15, 2011
    With Dragon Age: 2 out, I thought I'd play this game one more time. I was surprised when I could actually play through large chunks of the game, knowing what will happen next. The game is so refined, with a few nit-picky problems.
    I have 362 hours with this game to date, which (I believe) gives me a little more credibility than most people who played through it once.
    I'd rate this game a
    I'd rate this game a '10' if I was worried about contributing to the overal user score like most people who either vote 10 or 0, but I'm being serious.
    This game has some of THE BEST voice acting I've come to expect from Bioware. Playing as a City Elf, hearing Vaughn laugh as he groped my betrothed had me willing to kill all humans in sight in a fit of rage. I'm actually REALLY glad Male-Hawke is voiced by the same man as Vaughn. Guy has serious talent.
    Plus, toolset. Community content fixes anything you may have against the game (If it's reasonable).
  9. Dec 20, 2011
    A very compelling plot and characters helped make up for this games lacking combat system, which struck me as repetitive and stagnant at some points in the game. A good sense of replayability and interesting in-game choices further added to the experience. A very decent game, though not revolutionary or inspiring, it is still entertaining and good fun.
  10. Qis
    Oct 2, 2012
    This game is intermidiate between good and bad. The good side is it have a good narative, good acting, fun factors, i really enjoy this game. But the bad side is this game is badly designed. Some of the player skill set are either not worth it or broken. The game-play restricted to tank, dps, nuker and healer mostly so the player don't have liberty to change playstyle, doing the very sameThis game is intermidiate between good and bad. The good side is it have a good narative, good acting, fun factors, i really enjoy this game. But the bad side is this game is badly designed. Some of the player skill set are either not worth it or broken. The game-play restricted to tank, dps, nuker and healer mostly so the player don't have liberty to change playstyle, doing the very same thing over and over. The player will min maxing their characters instead of role-playing it. If the player ever change or not played it as it should be, the player will have problems. The loots are terrible, fighting a boss level enemies but the loot are just generic items mostly, that is destroy motivation. There are loop holes in story line, but that can be tolerated. There are bugs and glitches and those are repaired by mods mostly. The graphic is ok even for low spec computers, but game design like armor and weapons are ugly, there are some armor and weapon design that is ok, but mostly ugly and unrealistic. Overall, this game is enjoyable but need something to shine it. Expand
  11. May 24, 2012
    Very overrated RPG that doesn't come close to the Baldur's Gate series in terms of story and writing. Graphics are ugly as hell for 2009, story is linear and unsurprising, characters are not that interesting (although voice acting is better than usual). Gameplay isn't very satisfying, the combat system has a million pointless abilities that you can/must constantly click on so that it wouldVery overrated RPG that doesn't come close to the Baldur's Gate series in terms of story and writing. Graphics are ugly as hell for 2009, story is linear and unsurprising, characters are not that interesting (although voice acting is better than usual). Gameplay isn't very satisfying, the combat system has a million pointless abilities that you can/must constantly click on so that it would appear "deep" (lol). DA:O is not a *bad* game, though, it's just not especially good either. I should probably take out another point for pushing stupid paid DLC but whatever. Expand
  12. Jun 26, 2015
    Good: Companions, Orzammar

Mixed: Story, Writing, Gameplay, Music, Atmosphere/Mood, Setting

Bad: Pacing, Bugs

Overall average game with great moments. Terrible pacing, too much boring encounters with trash mobs. Some great locations with enjoyable quest lines like Orzammar. Annoying bugs in combat.
  13. Jun 29, 2015
    This game, oh my gosh this game. I can completely see why people would love this game, from the old timey Tactical RPG to the awesome story, and yet i just can't stand it. The game is TOO big. It has parts of dungeons that are WAAAAAAAAAY to massive, or just there to make it longer. The combat is dull and repetitive, The only class that feels moderately fun is the mage, and that's aThis game, oh my gosh this game. I can completely see why people would love this game, from the old timey Tactical RPG to the awesome story, and yet i just can't stand it. The game is TOO big. It has parts of dungeons that are WAAAAAAAAAY to massive, or just there to make it longer. The combat is dull and repetitive, The only class that feels moderately fun is the mage, and that's a stretch, and i have found a multitude of bugs in my game, and finally the AI just bogs down the game too much. I want to love this game that everyone seems to like, but i just can't. Expand
  14. Mar 20, 2011
    As a Bioware fan girl i will try to make as much of an unbiased review i can do for this game. I'm not blind to it's flaw. But dont want to bash it rediculously for some of the scandals on the game reviews.
    Even if some of the features of Dragon Age Origins return, this is not the same game at all, for the good and the bad. We return to Thedas the same universe and we still are playing a tactical RPG like the first one, who let you customise the enemies tactics (Richards that's not an unfinished feature, it's necesseries with all the customisations possibles, and it allow to to addapt the tactics to your liking).
    I wills tart out with the bads
    Less customisation than the first one, It's no longer possible to play an elf or a dwarf.
    Recicled environements
    Lack of environement variety
    straight lined missions

On the good side
    The story is nice and very personal a good change of the epics stories
    The voice acting is excellent as usual on a Bioware titles
    Uge improvement on the graphical side (the art style have changed a lot trought and you like it or you dont)
    Good replayability with lot of things who can change in the game plays

It's not as good as the original but still a good game
  15. Mar 19, 2011
    Not a bad game, but kind of bland. If you've never played a Bioware title before, sure, it'll be great. But for those who played e.g. KOTOR, it's just getting a bit old. Dialogues and overall quality of writing is pretty good, but in the end, just too wordy. Battles mechanics are very early D&D-ish in the sense that you have to take care of your individual party members unless you wantNot a bad game, but kind of bland. If you've never played a Bioware title before, sure, it'll be great. But for those who played e.g. KOTOR, it's just getting a bit old. Dialogues and overall quality of writing is pretty good, but in the end, just too wordy. Battles mechanics are very early D&D-ish in the sense that you have to take care of your individual party members unless you want them to commit suicide, which in itself isn't that bad, it just doesn't really fit a game like this, which is supposed to be a bit more fast paced. (side note: I've played Baldur's Gate, it's a great game, but by today's standards, I'm not sure if I would rate it higher than 7 either, I should add. Games have progressed since 2000, you know..) The characters are well portrayed and voiced, but while they have always been somewhat formulaic, it's getting just too repetitive with each new iteration of a Bioware title.

Play it if you are a huge fan of Bioware games, or if you've never played one of their games before. Otherwise, I'd say pass, it's getting a bit old.
  16. Sep 29, 2013
    Dragon Age does some things right- its story telling is pretty good, its combat dynamics are pretty good, and its graphics are pretty good. With that said, the game is too long for its own good, you spend a lot of time talking (which is typical of Bioware games, so if that's what you expect, that's fine), and the crafting system is lacking. The game wasn't rewarding enough for the 70+Dragon Age does some things right- its story telling is pretty good, its combat dynamics are pretty good, and its graphics are pretty good. With that said, the game is too long for its own good, you spend a lot of time talking (which is typical of Bioware games, so if that's what you expect, that's fine), and the crafting system is lacking. The game wasn't rewarding enough for the 70+ hours I put into the game for me to consider playing it again from a different character class. One thing that irked me- you can either play directly as each of the characters in your party (which is neat), or you can create an AI to tell them when to use certain abilities. This is cool, except I'm not sure when I really want them to use each of the abilities, so I don't trust myself to create their AI. Except that there's no default AI for them to follow. So I felt like with my healer I had to do trial and error to determine what percentage health I needed her to heal my tank at. With my tank, how do I teach him to hold all the enemies' attention? While some people would derive a lot of joy in being able to personalize their character to this extent, to me it was tedium. I prefer the approach they took in Mass Effect where you had less abilities, but they were more significant. Expand
  17. Sep 1, 2015
    Dragon Age Origins is a good well told cliché story interrupted by micromanaging combat and pursue of romance with other characters.

Starting DAO gives you the chance of six different origins. Afterwards it does not matter anymore. Yes, you can choose your dialogue options to “influence” the story, but the truth is that in the end, you do not have six complete different stories, only the illusion of six different stories.

If you play DAO you know the high quality of storytelling by Bioware, even if we have seen it before a thousand times. As usual you are the hero or antihero and are chosen by the Graywardens to fight the great evil: the darkspawn. The story is well told with great moments. However, I prefer the story of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II better; they were more engaging to me. Even KOTOR I and KOTOR II (Obsidian) had better stories and twists. But, as everything in gaming and life, it depends on the taste of each individual.

Through your quest and side quests to destroy the said evil, you will meet different characters; some of them will join your party if you chose so. As with Mass Effect, you can pursue a relationship with some of them. They have background stories if you are willing to scratch the surface.

Gameplay. If you have played any Bioware game you know what you are into. Story, turn-based combat. And if you want to succeed in DAO, you will have to micromanage combat and pause a lot. The game offers you a deep system to establish the AI of you companions in combat. Nevertheless, you will still have to adjust and readjust and pause the game to avoid certain death.

Here is my problem with the game. I am familiar with turn based combat of all previous Bioware games. However, this time around you no longer have the D&D rule set, but a “house made” rule by Bioware. To me, combat is no longer fun but a tedious process of micromanaging and adjusting the AI of companions. After a battle I am not like “great!” but more like “What…another one?”

Luckily, you have long cut scenes that advance the plot, so you have time to relax after each encounter. That is my other problem with the game. While the story is well told and the characters are interesting, I find the game is the one that sets the rhythm, not me. I am just an expectator waiting for the next combat session. Cuts scenes are sometimes too long. The game is the protagonist, not the gamer.
    Graphics: they do the job, but do not expect enjoying landscapes or anything, they are poorly textured. Not like you can go free exploring though. Character models are ok, but not like in Mass Effect 1 or 2. Blood will be there, after each combat your character and companions will be drenched in blood. No worries.

Sound: Good acting voices, true to Bioware standards. The music is nice and is varied according to the situation.

So yes, DAO is a long game, but not because of gameplay content, but for the long cut scenes, conversations with dialogue options with various NPCs and combat management. Many have enjoyed it proven by the tremendous positive reviews here, but some of us have tried hard to like this game due to its nostalgia relation to BG and BG II. Hey, I have a copy of them; I think I will play good classic RPGs now. Cheers
  18. Oct 17, 2016
    Slow and unresponsive AI, party member collision, boring "side quests," no combat log / advanced stats screen, and wildly unbalanced classes and abilities bring this down from what could have been a 9.

The voice acting and banter is great, and I really loved the dog. Everything else was "meh."
  19. Aug 8, 2013
    Dragon Age Origins contains so much great content that it garners higher review scores than it deserves. The game has many many interesting NPCs, and they are SO well written, that the writing component of the game is not only 10/10. it approaches the best writing in game design anywhere. However the truth is writing alone does not make a great game. Origins has a number of deficienciesDragon Age Origins contains so much great content that it garners higher review scores than it deserves. The game has many many interesting NPCs, and they are SO well written, that the writing component of the game is not only 10/10. it approaches the best writing in game design anywhere. However the truth is writing alone does not make a great game. Origins has a number of deficiencies that end up placing in closer to the level of the flawed (and pretty tedious) Neverwinter Nights than it is to The great Baldur's Gate 2. The biggest flaw of the game is the lack of detail in the campaign map. Little attempt has been made to pretend that characters are having an adventure in a living world. There is no exploration, no wandering from place to place. No open vistas, no skies, no world at all. Just a little world map that looks like it was scawled on a napkin, where you can move between a limited number of set locations and engage in linear set-pieces. This was acceptable last century but times, and technical capacities have moved on. Bioware seems too stuck in its stengths to seriously address its weaknesses. In brief this campaign design sucks. The other main weakness in Origins is in the character development systems. Obviously Bioware decided to ditch the Dungeons and Dragons system and 'Go their own way'. What they came up with though is sadly under-designed. Non-combat skills and crafting appear to have had the very minimum of thought or play-testing put into them. Classes are NOT balanced (mages are too strong). The whole thing looks like a muddled work in progress. What they came up with is decent but it's telling that the design abruptly ends around level 20. There seems to be a lack of creative vison here to envision a world where charcters will eventually go on and achieve level 50 or 80! Bioware clearly lacks a strategic plan to build a world and create a place where the adventure can continue once they run out of writing ideas. Thus finally, DA Origins simply is NOT that good. It fails to build the foundation for am ongoing franchise. It fails to build an explorable or enduring world. It fails to give the players a systematic basis to explore, adventure of level up anywhere at all outside the very limit areas of defined scripts. It even fails to offer an adventure with more depth or scope that the good old Black-Isle days. Reviewers have been blinded by the sheer beauty of the cutscenes, the wonderful interactions of the party, the amazing voice work, and the great assets to realize that Bioware makes GREAT set-pieces, but fail to make amazing role playing GAMES. The moment their writers stop writing the game ends and the fun is over. It is NOT as good as it could be or should be in this moment of game design. It remains too far stuck back in 1999 and not enough of the new century! The seeds of the failure of Dragon Age 2 were sown HERE. Expand
  20. Mar 29, 2011
    I just can't see how anyone got pass the extreme cliché, bad combat system, and crazy long load scenes.

Guess: Bioware + Hipe = love from the masses. on the good side i did enjoy some brief moments of the story, and giving the chance to start with different classes and races with an unique "origin" is a plus, but they might have spent that time and money crafting a better

Guess: Bioware + Hipe = love from the masses.

on the good side i did enjoy some brief moments of the story, and giving the chance to start with different classes and races with an unique "origin" is a plus, but they might have spent that time and money crafting a better game after that...
  21. Oct 26, 2014
    This game is basically medieval KotOR.
    Story: Every quest is well written. The choices you make are difficult and thought provoking. There are some fantasy cliches here and there, but as a whole, the story is great.
    Graphics: Levels are your standard fantasy fare. Some costumes and weapon designs are interesting. Nothing really special to look at. Animations are awkward. Sound:
    This game is basically medieval KotOR.
    Sound: Excellent voice work supports the story very well. You will notice some of the same actors, though. The sound effects are average.
    Gameplay: Dragon's Age has absolutely dreadful game play start to finish mainly because the AI is completely useless. The tactics feature is an awesome idea in theory but fails because every fight is different. You'll basically have to control every action for four characters, and as soon as you switch to one, the others will run off and do something stupid. Dragon's Age is one of the most unbalanced games I've played in a long time. Hard mode is unplayable. The inventory system is useless because of the insane amount of items you pick up and the small carrying capacity. Leveling up is fun but often you'll be forced down a certain path with little room for wacky builds.

Dragon's Age could have been the tactical RPG that fans have been waiting for but poor AI, lackluster feel, and poor design cripple it. Play it if you enjoyed KotOR or if you like fantasy stories, otherwise skip it.
  22. Oct 8, 2011
    Bland and boring is the best way I can describe it. From the contrived storyline, to the setting which borrows heavily from other works of fantasy and real life, I felt like I was thrust into a world that was a boiled down, flavorless version of every fantasy story ever told. I do give them credit for not making D&D: Sword Coast vol. XXVI, and the Origin system was a great idea. TheBland and boring is the best way I can describe it. From the contrived storyline, to the setting which borrows heavily from other works of fantasy and real life, I felt like I was thrust into a world that was a boiled down, flavorless version of every fantasy story ever told. I do give them credit for not making D&D: Sword Coast vol. XXVI, and the Origin system was a great idea. The characters are pretty good as is the interaction between them. Mechanics-wise DA:O is good - combat is tactical and fun, though I still can't figure out how, in 2009 (2011 as of this writing), Bioware STILL hasn't been able to come up with a decent inventory system. Probably the worst aspect of this game were the uberdungeons of the Fade and Orzammar, which single handedly dissuaded me from doing another playthrough. Bottom line, it's not the spiritual successor to BG it was billed as, but you may find some elements you enjoy. Expand
  23. DickS
    Dec 30, 2009
    I have only put about five hours of playtime into the game but felt the need to warn everyone that the game is incomplete. There is a "Tactics" Section that lets you customize the ai of your companions. Bioware has basicly left it up to you to script the ai yourself using an interface that is about as friendly as a psychotic baboon on speed. This would be okay if bioware actually put in I have only put about five hours of playtime into the game but felt the need to warn everyone that the game is incomplete. There is a "Tactics" Section that lets you customize the ai of your companions. Bioware has basicly left it up to you to script the ai yourself using an interface that is about as friendly as a psychotic baboon on speed. This would be okay if bioware actually put in some half decent script sets to start you off. But the AI presets get the lemming award every time i engage in battle. Expand
  24. May 24, 2014
    DAO fails at three important things - story, engaging gameplay and any kind of morality-based choice.

Sure, there is a lot of lore. But (just like in every other Bioware game, unfortunately) it's not that important. Yay, dwarves! Ancient race! Thaigs! Golems! Story! Shapers! Stone! Now go and kill 718 foozles, you lousy Grey Warden. Because Dwarves are your sworn allies and not in any kind of trouble, but, you know, the plot compels you to go through the Deep Roads and GET YOUR RECOMMENDED DAILY AMOUNT OF LORE!

And the combat is downright bad. Your AI companions must be repeatedly programmed to do things in a "If ... then ... " fashion and you have a limited amount of tactics slots per character (does that sound stupid? It is). As for the main character - it's Baldur's Gate all over again. You swing your weapon, numbers fly out, but enemies don't react to your swinging at all. Unit collision is horrendous and playing a rogue or warrior is a recipe for boredom because they have zero AoE and 90% of the fights are against 5+ enemies. So you are much better off going as a mage, who has all the crowd control and MASSIVE AoE at his/her disposal.

Choice, again, is all grey and grey. No matter whether you are good or evil - every decision can be justified from either standpoint. I understand undertones, but this is ridiculous.

In the end, DA:O could be a good RPG, but the overabundance of tedium, amount of fighting vs. actual story and the plot-induced invisible walls kill any sort of enthusiasm for it.
  25. Sep 4, 2015
    I am disappointed with this game. Camera is terrible and sometimes downright infuriating. Some of the objects are way to hard to find. Even after you know where they are supposed to be! If you are really desperate for an RPG game, give it a try, otherwise there are many better ones out there.
  26. Jun 27, 2013
    This is not Baldur's Gate. Dragon Age is average and tedious; catering to the Lord of the Rings crowd with soap-opera character interaction and bland "looks-like-medieval-Europe" fantasy setting It took effort to get into the game, through it's constipated origin stories (all dull, save the Dwarven one), to the peaks and valleys of the main game: for every interesting interaction (Shale)This is not Baldur's Gate. Dragon Age is average and tedious; catering to the Lord of the Rings crowd with soap-opera character interaction and bland "looks-like-medieval-Europe" fantasy setting It took effort to get into the game, through it's constipated origin stories (all dull, save the Dwarven one), to the peaks and valleys of the main game: for every interesting interaction (Shale) there is far too often a descent into a seemingly never-ending, mind-numbing dungeon-crawl (The Urn of Sacred Ashes, The Fade, Orzammar). Expand
  27. Sep 29, 2013
    This was hailed as THE rpg game of the decade back when it was new and fresh. I had my fill of rpg's at the time, so i didnt pick it up until recently.

What struck me was how extremely overrated this game was. The story is passable, but mostly just the same old stuff. I got bored with it halfway through the game. The combat system and game in itself, is "Meh". That got boring even quicker. It's a decent game, but i expected a classic. And when you do, it's kinda annoying. Do not buy this if you think it's gonna be an epic story or game. It's a passable game, nothing more.
  28. MikeB
    Nov 8, 2009
    I don't know what game everyone else is playing. This game takes Baldur's Gate 2, removes all interesting dialogue, unique characters, player choices, and exploration, and replaces it with shiny graphics and cutscenes. Any game that plays itself and looks pretty gets 90s and better from this joke of a game reviewing community we have today.
  29. Jun 22, 2012
    As I tend to ignore hype, I didn't really have much in the way of expectations toward Dragon Age Origins. I suppose you could say I was pleasantly surprised. While the story is yet another LotR derivative (the darkspawn even look and behave exactly like Tolkien's orcs), and the combat is kinda tiresome in the long run, the game makes up for it with craptons of dialogue (all voiced, exceptAs I tend to ignore hype, I didn't really have much in the way of expectations toward Dragon Age Origins. I suppose you could say I was pleasantly surprised. While the story is yet another LotR derivative (the darkspawn even look and behave exactly like Tolkien's orcs), and the combat is kinda tiresome in the long run, the game makes up for it with craptons of dialogue (all voiced, except your own char's lines - you have to voice those yourself), great characters (Alistair and Morrigan are my favorites), brilliant voice acting (once again, a really good job with Morrigan and Alistair) and quite a lot of freedom of choice. Although the game has many flaws, like the aforementioned tiresome combat, sluggish world map travel (done Fallout style, except with scripted encounters rather than random ones) and some situations with wasted potential for non-linearity, it's a pretty solid piece of work overall and, unless you develop an allergic reaction to it early on, should keep you entertained for many hours. Expand
  30. KostasI.
    Dec 8, 2009
    Ok, first things first, the good parts. Good visuals on the PC, excellent sound and music, good voice overs from the important people of the game, excellent humor, combat feels vicious and violent, lots of lore. And now the bad things. Everything else. Bad story telling, bad voices for all non important characters, non-existent exploration, zero freedom, unbalanced gameplay, bugs that can Ok, first things first, the good parts. Good visuals on the PC, excellent sound and music, good voice overs from the important people of the game, excellent humor, combat feels vicious and violent, lots of lore. And now the bad things. Everything else. Bad story telling, bad voices for all non important characters, non-existent exploration, zero freedom, unbalanced gameplay, bugs that can be progress stopping, decisions that only take place until the very end and dont really matter anyway. Generally this is a game that takes RPG games 2 steps forward and 10 steps back. Inexperienced with the genre people will definitely enjoy it for obvious reasons but those that want a deep and involving experience would do well to steer away. You have been warned. Expand

1. If you're into rpgs, or rather if you love roleplaying in general, there's really no need to waste time reading any reviews of this game. The same goes if you regard games like Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Baldurs Gate-series among the best computer games ever made. Because this game is everything a person like you look for in a game, and so much more. Be aware though, Dragon Age: Origins is not a revolution of the genre, rather it is an evolution, where Bioware has refined everything that made them into a formula as close to perfection as possible. Without a doubt one of the strongest Game of the year-candidates so far this year and a game we will remember with warm feelings many years to come.
  2. PC Gamer
    An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. [Holiday 2009, p.38]
  3. Dragon Age Origins will keep you in front of your computer for hours! Graphics, sounds and the controls couldn’t be much better!