7.0

1. Nov 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I began this game, expecting the Driver Franchise to be ruined because I heard that you can't get out of your car, and it was just driving. I expected it to be like the last two. I didn't watch trailers or reviews I just went straight to playing the game. So, here's me thinking this game is going to suck really bad.
    I began playing and already felt like the handling sucked. Driving around, feeling like the game is seriously limited. The voice acting so bad, it made me cringe.
    I stuck to it for a little longer when the game began to change. I was shocked. Completely stunned by what was happening. I was overwhelmed and got goosebumps it was so different.
    I did not expect to be able to jump from your car into another, in such a quick space of time. Control the cars on the road as you race, blocking other racers and opening clear paths for yourself just made this game something else. No other game is like this. It's fantastic. Incredibly unique. The more I played, the more fun I had. I began to get used to the driving and figured out that it was the handling you had to get used to. The voice acting began to make sense. Cheesyness was the best way to play it. The game all began to fit together and make sense to me.
    So yes, I completely changed my view on this game after playing, and it was awesome.
    I would highly advise people to play this game! No matter what you think of it before playing, just do it, it's worth it.
  2. Oct 18, 2011
    Basically this game is quite good, but there are some problems. the MI is infernal. The civilians know nothing about the rules of the road(they can't even let the police or ambulance with its siren screaming go), they are blind, deaf and their intelligence is a void function. The Team race is a nightmare, because the partner of the player simply lets the enemy overtake him. The graphics ofBasically this game is quite good, but there are some problems. the MI is infernal. The civilians know nothing about the rules of the road(they can't even let the police or ambulance with its siren screaming go), they are blind, deaf and their intelligence is a void function. The Team race is a nightmare, because the partner of the player simply lets the enemy overtake him. The graphics of the cars are good, but the city isn't too detailed.
    The car selection is good, and there are some fun game modes.
  3. Sep 27, 2011
    After spending mere 15 hours with the game, it seems more clear than not that the makers wanted to go for GTA4 meets San Francisco, but their laziness got in the way. So we have great graphics, nice choice of cars and a big, stunning map plus a lot of challenges and all sorts of diversions. And the idiotic storyline, which makes even 10 year old ask, WTF? The map is big, but the world isAfter spending mere 15 hours with the game, it seems more clear than not that the makers wanted to go for GTA4 meets San Francisco, but their laziness got in the way. So we have great graphics, nice choice of cars and a big, stunning map plus a lot of challenges and all sorts of diversions. And the idiotic storyline, which makes even 10 year old ask, WTF? The map is big, but the world is not opened. I'm far from telling you why - you'll have to judge that by yourself. Driver SF is a fun game, but it's not a game changer, and withing a couple of months, gamers will forget about it. It offers what most gamers take for granted - the SHIFT gameplay is definitely a great invention, but it can't carry the title to the gold. The game gets boring after 2 days of playing, and in today's reality, you really expect more. Expand
  4. Dec 31, 2011
    I had great expectations but I had greater disappointments. From the start you are spoon fed where and how you drive. The best part about previous Drivers was that you had the freedom to go wherever you wanted. Red zones within 15 minutes of driving. C'mon! Then when you are flying above cars looking for one to take, you have to fly along roads, you can't even fly over buildings! VeryI had great expectations but I had greater disappointments. From the start you are spoon fed where and how you drive. The best part about previous Drivers was that you had the freedom to go wherever you wanted. Red zones within 15 minutes of driving. C'mon! Then when you are flying above cars looking for one to take, you have to fly along roads, you can't even fly over buildings! Very poor. The graphics are amazing and driving along a straight road without other traffic is fun, just don't hit another car. Expand
  5. Vic
    Dec 9, 2011
    This is the worst game I've played this year! It has the worst driving mechanics, stupid and short story, ridiculous side quests, no manual gearbox, it's almost impossible to drive without hitting anything in this game and I guess the developers knew that and that's why almost all missions in the game are concentrating on destroying something! It's pain in my heart when you have to crushThis is the worst game I've played this year! It has the worst driving mechanics, stupid and short story, ridiculous side quests, no manual gearbox, it's almost impossible to drive without hitting anything in this game and I guess the developers knew that and that's why almost all missions in the game are concentrating on destroying something! It's pain in my heart when you have to crush your SLR into other vehicles. I thought they would make something more realistic and serious than this "destroy-everything-in-your-way" game! Expand
  6. Nov 14, 2011
    Was not expecting much from this, But its all right driving is okish until you get the turbo witch is up on the analog stick but it can probably be changed . its arcadey and fast story a cop with the ability to switch body's ...sure you know what ever its a game makes normal car chances and races interesting . The selection of cars is good more then i was expecting vista cruiserWas not expecting much from this, But its all right driving is okish until you get the turbo witch is up on the analog stick but it can probably be changed . its arcadey and fast story a cop with the ability to switch body's ...sure you know what ever its a game makes normal car chances and races interesting . The selection of cars is good more then i was expecting vista cruiser to a maclaran mp4
    pc performance its locked at 60 even when recording looks ok nothing outstanding 30$ its a buy
  7. Apr 5, 2013
    Good game. It have the old driver feeling. The amount of cars is huge i really liked to play with buses and trucks. What i dont like were the features like the crash action or throwing cars. Thats really stupid. Doesnt fit in this series. The story is also a bit crazy that could be much better.
  8. Nov 26, 2011
    This game deserves points for creativity and for mindless fun, but for me it's not playable for any sort of long-term period of time. I think for what it is, a driving game with a good variety of driving missions, it's quite well done, and I think a lot of people will really enjoy this game. The producers of this game definitely deserve respect for their effort here. If you enjoy gamesThis game deserves points for creativity and for mindless fun, but for me it's not playable for any sort of long-term period of time. I think for what it is, a driving game with a good variety of driving missions, it's quite well done, and I think a lot of people will really enjoy this game. The producers of this game definitely deserve respect for their effort here. If you enjoy games that are solely driving games, I think you'll find this game to be a gem. If you want more than just driving, go elsewhere. Expand
  9. Mar 13, 2013
    I enjoyed playing this game. The shift-function works really well and and feel like a core part of the gameplay and not just some stupid gimmick. It is also used quite frequently in the game in a lot of different ways making the game really stand apart from other racing game. I completed the campaign in 12 hours but I had a lot of side missions left to do. The story was actuallyI enjoyed playing this game. The shift-function works really well and and feel like a core part of the gameplay and not just some stupid gimmick. It is also used quite frequently in the game in a lot of different ways making the game really stand apart from other racing game. I completed the campaign in 12 hours but I had a lot of side missions left to do. The story was actually surprisingly decent and it really fits with the shift-function. The conversations that occur when you shift both in free roaming and in narrated side missions also works really well and i found myself smirking from time to time. I thought the driving worked well enough as an arcade racer but i seldom play racing-games so i don't know how it compares to other games in its genre. The game isn't flawless though. The checkpoints sometimes forces you to replay needless bits, the environment is quite static and there is some invisible walls here and there, cinematic-views sometimes take away the control of your car in critical times, lack of customization, some gameplay bits in certain missions just doesn't work very well and the game does look kind of visually dated here and there. I still had a lot of fun with this arcade-racer and if you are looking for a racing game that tries something different you should give Driver San Francisco a shot. Expand
  10. Oct 28, 2014
    I had this game when it was released and never did a review. And then I remembered why I HAD this game. It's clunky as **** the driving mechanics are shoddy as **** and the tips are absobloodylutely pointless.
    "Drive into oncoming traffic to lose your enemies" does NOT ****ing help when your enemies are a horde of pissed off cops driving faster cars than you. You can try ANYTHING you like, shifting into oncoming traffic to smash them, driving into oncoming traffic, weaving in and out of either side of the road, the whole nine yards. The learning curve is about as non-existent as the fun factor to begin with. This was a graphically smooth game, but the gameplay was ****ing ****e.
  11. Jul 5, 2015
    It is one of the best game, but he has something interesting .
  12. Dec 23, 2011
    If you're anything like me, you probably already have each installment of Driver ranging from 1 to Parallel Lines somewhere in your Big Drawer of Games. And if you're anything like me, you, too, should have been shaken and appalled by just how horrible a game Parallel Lines truly was. And thus, if you're anything like me, you should be wondering: Does D:SF live up to the series name?If you're anything like me, you probably already have each installment of Driver ranging from 1 to Parallel Lines somewhere in your Big Drawer of Games. And if you're anything like me, you, too, should have been shaken and appalled by just how horrible a game Parallel Lines truly was. And thus, if you're anything like me, you should be wondering: Does D:SF live up to the series name?

Sadly, most of you are not like me. So here's a quick recap of the Driver series: Driver is a franchise revolved around one core element - that which TV Tropes notes to be "Badass Driver". Sure, over time there have been some side-elements like a GTA-style gunplay mechanic, but in conclusion, if a Driver game cannot be described as "Protagonist Drives An Assortment Of Cars At High Speed In A City", it's not worthy to be called Driver.

And with that little description, Driver: San Francisco falls into our lap. And at the second intro movie, where we're treated to the angelic sound of an old-school V8 revving its engine in aplomb, it's already faintly obvious: This. Is. Driver.

And right from the get-go, the fun starts. You are John Tanner, a cop with an awesome haircut and an even more awesome 1970 Dodge Challenger. Wait, don't cringe just yet! Yes, it is an old car. And yes, it still steers similar to a ship, BUT! The developers have kept one thing in mind: The super-effective tool of the deities knows as the E-Brake. And with this.... Old School becomes Very Cool indeed.

And Old School is not the only option you have, either. While loving your E-Brake like a pedophile loves little children on your keyboard (Yes, this game DOES play decently on a keyboard), you'll be spinning, drifting, ramping and overtaking with cars ranging from the Hudson Hornet to the '67 Mustang Fastback to the Audi S5 to the Alfa 8C, all the way to the McLaren MP4-12C. And each of these cars is brilliantly portrayed in this dream re-enactment of San Francisco. The Bentley Arnage requires you mash your directional arrows through your desk, while the McLaren will pull away with such speed that you will push yourself back into your chair. Each of the cars is painstakingly detailed and reacts much like their real-life counterparts - and each of them does so without the need of a rich boy's toys like an Xbox controller or wireless wheel.

Most of the sounds are exquisite. The aforementioned Challenger makes one turn off the in-game music just to hear that sweet V8 roar as you storm off, and the other screechers like the McLaren are just as lovely on the ear. The music stations are a refreshing add-on to the game, eschewing the bizarre antics of GTA's more ludicrous stations in return for some genuinely nice tunes. The tires sound exactly as they do in real life when they spin, especially when varying horses are pushed through with each car. The voices, for the most part, are very well portrayed - Jericho sounds exactly like a smug villain should, and Tobias Jones' voice actor delivers a performance of pure gold in this game. My only objection is Tanner's voice - during the in-car conversations he's okay, mediocre at best. But in cutscenes... He has this swagger, this exaggeration to his voice that just doesn't fit a protagonist - something that hinders me each time he opens his mouth.

Of course, as brilliant as this game is, it is far from flawless - Most of the missions are repetitive later in the game, and certain Stunt Dares are downright ludicrous - overtaking 40 cars in 60 seconds becomes VERY difficult later on. The storyline is also a tad stale - its basically a long, drawn out version of a predictable GTA mission, and Tanner's voice actor doesn't lighten that load one bit.

Other than the tedious side-missions later in the game, Driver: San Francisco offers what appears to be one of the most solid driving experiences of the year. Brilliant driving, great engine notes, beautiful environments and lovingly detailed cars makes this one a game for any racing gamer - period.

1. Dec 4, 2011
    Family-friendly smash-ups and a goofy concept. There's something refreshing in this game's profanity-free self-confidence. [Christmas 2011, p.64]
    We were worried that the new Driver would be just "good one" but expectations were exceeded by far. Great story, driving physics and a top soundtrack made new Driver a game to remember. [Nov 2011]
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    Hardly the drive of your life, but easily one of the most memorable--and a great one-time gimmick done well. [Holiday 2011, p.78]