5.7

1. Jun 18, 2011
    Having just beaten the game, I can honestly say that Duke Nukem Forever is not as terrible as many people are claiming it is. For everyone that is absolutely sh&^%ng themselves over what a disappointing game this is for the wait, I have to say I'm a little baffled. It's really no better or worse than these other "Triple A" titles getting churned out in less than a year coming out the gateHaving just beaten the game, I can honestly say that Duke Nukem Forever is not as terrible as many people are claiming it is. For everyone that is absolutely sh&^%ng themselves over what a disappointing game this is for the wait, I have to say I'm a little baffled. It's really no better or worse than these other "Triple A" titles getting churned out in less than a year coming out the gate lately. In an industry filled with disappointing redundant sequel after disappointing lack of improvement sequel, it's kind of nice to have this blast from the past finally get released.

In my time playing the game I encountered only one glitch, which by my count is frankly surprising. Considering what a train wreck this game must have been to work on once 3DRealms was out of the picture I expected to encounter a lot more hiccups than I did. The graphics look and feel a lot like they do in Prey. Dated by today's standards, but still passable. The real tragedy here was the lack of consistency in development and if, god forbid, Gearbox had had more time to work on it this could have been an even better game.

There are certainly glimmers of the game that could have been sprinkled throughout the experience, and to be honest that's not such a bad thing. I'm glad some of the old Duke charm actually made it into the final product instead of none at all. Hopefully when work starts on the sequel they can focus their efforts on improving the gameplay instead of having to clean up a mess first.
  2. Jun 22, 2011
    I believe this game is receiving a lot more hate than it deserves. It is far from a perfect game, but most games are far from perfect. Overall, I enjoyed the time I played this game.

My personal complaints against the game are that it tries too hard to have the both of both old first person shooter play and modern play. I wanted to carry multiple guns, I wanted to actually have to worry about health, and I wanted levels that I could run around in circles doing things on. Instead, its the standard 2 weapons, regenerating health, and rather linear levels. Just like most of the shooters I have played in the last couple of years. Those are just my main complaints.

There are multiple types of enemies, and while you will find the standard grunts and the pigcops to be the most numerous, there is more variety here than most modern shooters. Of course, having aliens to fight as opposed to humans helps with that aspect.

The weapons are quite varied, and while most were taken from Duke Nukem 3D, the AT Laser, AT Captains Laser, Railgun, Enforcer Gun are all new, and the Freeze Gun has been modified quite a bit. Every gun is unique, there aren't any that are essentially interchangeable.

While the levels are very linear, for the most part they are fairly unique and fun. Sadly, even the big levels are broken up into smaller parts. I would have like more secrets and Easter eggs . It was nice to hear the "one dead space marine" line though. I feel they put in a decent amount of interactivity in most of the levels, it just starts to feel a little sparse towards the end. Its nice that they put in Frisbee's and paper airplanes to throw around. Three of the more interactive objects feel a bit off, but they aren't impossible.

The graphics aren't bad. They aren't spectacular, and the humans seem to be animated fairly stiffly. But that isn't a big deal because most of the humans don't last too long anyway. I don't think anyone should be ashamed of these graphics, but it shows that the game is a little older than its release date would indicate.

As to people who are offended by this game, or don't find it funny? It isn't too offensive as far as I can see, but people are allowed their own opinions. I was laughing quite a bit during this game. Maybe I just have a sicker sense of humor, but most of the jokes and one liners were funny to me.

Is Duke Nukem Forever an amazing game we have waited over a decade for? No, its not. Neither is it the bad game many of the professional reviewers make it out to be. It may not be worth a buy, but its certainly worth a rent. I myself, am glad that I bought it. I was thoroughly entertained.
  3. Jun 15, 2011
    Many people take this game out of perspective. It is not meant to be a groundbreaking AAA title, but rather mostly just fan-service. DN3D was a very well-known game back in the 90's for it's over-the-top violence, sophomoric humor, excessive nudity, and constant one-liners from the Duke himself and Duke Nukem Forever only tries to be the same. But that is also one of its downfalls.

This

This game doesn't strive to be more. It tries to be very much like its predecessor but while doing so, takes away from the game's creativity. Consumers these days are starving for something new and intuitive in a world of constant, mono-tone FPS's. It looked promising enough with the bringing back of the childish humor (although some people don't like that type of humor) and 90's-type gameplay, and its super interactivity, but it's ultimate downfall was trying to catch up to modern times by excluding some key assets that made DN3D so fun. For example, you can only carry 2 weapons at a time; something that most fans gawk at. Then they make the "Mighty Foot" execution-only. It's the little things like that that put not only newcomers off, but fans as well and for a Duke Nukem game, that's not something you want to do.

The gameplay is good for a little burst of fun here and there, but it ultimately suffers from trying to combine 90's style with the modern era. It isn't horrible, but the mechanics just aren't solidified. Some of the bosses, however, are actually pretty fun.

The graphics, while they may not be up to par with many of today's top titles, aren't too bad although they could have at least had a bigger color palette. Everything does seem relatively low-poly and the character models are nothing to brag about. Overall, the graphics are acceptable, but not very likeable.

The very hyped up "interactivity" that they promised turned out to be less than they made it out to be. Sure you can microwave a rat, play some pinball, or even knock a punching bag, but most of that stuff is very obvious. There are no real "secret" things that you can do (as far as I've seen). Most of the time, there will be something in the room that you look at and think "I can probably play with this" but nothing is really shocking. Not to mention that they spoiled all of the "surprising" interactive things (like the turd) in order for more marketing. I've seen games with way more interactivity than this game. They just told us empty promises.

The levels are very linear with TONS of Half-Life rip-off "physics" puzzles that seem more like scripted events rather than real physics.

Sound design is OK. Not too much variety and they all seem very monotonous. Duke's grunt from every jump is very unnecessary.

Overall, fans of Duke might enjoy this game for the nostalgia factor, but that's really all this game is is fan service. It's almost like Gearbox just got the rights for it, and then said, "Alright, this game has been in development hell for years so let's just get this done and get it out there. Fans will love it regardless." The game suffers from trying to catch up with modern times while still trying to be the same. The graphics are OK, the gameplay is fun at times, the puzzles are a joke, and the famed "interactivity" is nothing really to be excited about. The game is alright. It isn't a horrible game. Just don't expect it to win any awards any time soon.
  4. Jun 14, 2011
    The game feels a bit unfinished, and the two weapon limit as well as regenerating health both bother me. However, keeping that in mind this...game is still far better than games the major "professional critics" have given game of the year to for the last three to four years. The humor is outstanding in it's B movie style charm, with over the top machismo straight out of an 80s action film.The game feels a bit unfinished, and the two weapon limit as well as regenerating health both bother me. However, keeping that in mind this...game is still far better than games the major "professional critics" have given game of the year to for the last three to four years. The humor is outstanding in it's B movie style charm, with over the top machismo straight out of an 80s action film. Some games can't laugh at themselves, but Duke isn't one of them. Expand
  5. Jun 16, 2011
    This game was certainly mediocre. You can disregard the reviews that say this game is horrible - it is not. You can also disregard the reviews that say this game is perfect in every way - it definitely is not. There are mildly amusing parts, some good shooting action.....and some puzzles that were ok (most were just tedious). In short, a simply OK game.
  6. Jun 14, 2011
    9 Although not perfect on level design and technology, Duke Nukem forever is a fun experience where you can laugh out loud behind your pc screen.

Interactivity, humor and obscene over the top action is something you don't see that often anymore in games, destroy concrete around pillars, check, solve puzzles, check, shoot limbs of enemies, check, have cool body awareness, check, have animations for nearly every action, check, these are things you don't see in any fps all together...

Duke Nukem forever is a great game with its flaws, but it shows gamers the cool no-nonsense, not to serious gameplay of the time when gaming was fun! not serious military **** as every game of today.
  7. Jun 14, 2011
    Ask yourself, what were your expectations of this game? For years this was expected to bring about a revolution in gaming. But what did â
  8. Jun 14, 2011
    The game is simply fun. Not great, not bad, just fun. I'm personally dumbfounded by the terrible reviews it has been receiving as the game as a lot of variety, cool weapons, likable enemies and allies and Duke Nukem humor to top it off. If you don't take this game too seriously it can be a lot of fun.
  9. Jun 14, 2011
    There are a few things you gotta keep in mind when you are playing this game. Duke Nukem...Duke Nukem...and Duke Nukem. Many of the reviews I have read simply don't seem to understand Duke Nukem or the intentions of this game. This game was everything it was supposed to be. Do not expect candy and flowers. Expect Duke Nukem to be Duke Nukem with bad jokes, harsh language, and plenty ofThere are a few things you gotta keep in mind when you are playing this game. Duke Nukem...Duke Nukem...and Duke Nukem. Many of the reviews I have read simply don't seem to understand Duke Nukem or the intentions of this game. This game was everything it was supposed to be. Do not expect candy and flowers. Expect Duke Nukem to be Duke Nukem with bad jokes, harsh language, and plenty of explosions. This game follows along the same lines of game play as 3D did. It is pretty linear, another outrageous storyline, plenty of fun gunfights and bossfights that are classic Duke. However, that being said. This is not 3D. This is not the groundbreaking game 3D was. Has its flaws like all new games but that doesn't make it the awful crap most people here are trying to make it seem. If you can take maturity and classic politically incorrect humor than you will like this game. So in summary, if you do not have "Balls Of Steel", you will not like this game as it was not created for an audience like you. Expand
  10. Jun 14, 2011
    Fun Game, Great Game play, Challenging at times, like most good games should be. Al you people hating and just feeding into hate hype. This is a great game. This is a true sequel to the original. Only bad thing is that the game need more multi-player and some mod tools. Port to xbox and ps3 I hear is a bad port example. Bad load times, Bad graphics... the pc version had comparable graphicsFun Game, Great Game play, Challenging at times, like most good games should be. Al you people hating and just feeding into hate hype. This is a great game. This is a true sequel to the original. Only bad thing is that the game need more multi-player and some mod tools. Port to xbox and ps3 I hear is a bad port example. Bad load times, Bad graphics... the pc version had comparable graphics to the newest games and 30 second load times. overall I find this a fun game to play, I'm going through my second run right now. Expand
  11. Jun 14, 2011
    Cool game with a lot of detail, and I mean a lot of detail. Gameplay is old school, engine is outdated (after 12 years, what did you expect? lol) ... but the game is fun and hilarious.
  12. Jun 14, 2011
    The game really was everything what i expected and even more. Gameplay is good, maps are good and characters are good. I thought that only 2 guns with you would be weird in Duke but actually i didn't even notice that when playing because the shooting was so fun and worked so well. Beer, steroids, monster, puzzles, "little duke", etc worked well and was fun. Those who want graphics or justThe game really was everything what i expected and even more. Gameplay is good, maps are good and characters are good. I thought that only 2 guns with you would be weird in Duke but actually i didn't even notice that when playing because the shooting was so fun and worked so well. Beer, steroids, monster, puzzles, "little duke", etc worked well and was fun. Those who want graphics or just multiplayer can eat bubblegum but those who want good singleplayer first time in years: it's time to kick ass! Expand
  13. Jun 15, 2011
    I really get sick of so called "reviewers" ripping on games when they have no real basis of comparison, no concept of what a game is supposed to be, or just want to put down a game because they did like it. The very idea of a review is to remain objective and know what you are talking about. That little rant aside. This is my mini-review of Duke Nukem Forever.

First off, this is NOT meant

First off, this is NOT meant to be "old-school" Duke Nukem. It's a squeal, a continuation of the series, more than just a "reboot". I was there in line waiting on my copy of Duke Nukem 3D when it hit the shelves. I still own that original copy I purchased back then. I own and have played every incarnation of Duke Nukem ever released on every platform it was ever released on. Duke Nukem Forever is not any of it. It is its own game, and this is a very good thing. It is what I was personally hoping it would be. I mean come on, this is 2011, I don't want that 90's gaming experience, as much as I may have loved it back then. I wanted a more modern game and that's what I get with DNF.

Story and content wise, it's Duke Nukem to the core, no doubt. This game really pushes that "Rated M" to the limit. It is the same story with the same "adult" content I remember from the Duke. The game has not been reduced, edited for content, or otherwise censored. Thank god for that. The gameplay is nice as well. Very easy to control and there is a lot of stuff in the world to interact with. I have played through the game a full two times now and not one time did I have any issues related to actually playing the game. You get some of the "little Duke" action as you run around while all shrunk down trying to complete a task. You get to battle the classic monsters as well as some new ones and bosses. The classic weapon set is there with a few fun ones thrown in as well. Blow off limbs and "interact" with objects in the game to unlock a fun list of 50 Steam achievements. Don't forget about the ladies, they are the reason you are in the battle, remember? Not to mention the "Mighty Foot". From a technology standpoint, the game is nothing special. If I am not mistaken the game runs on a highly modified Unreal Engine 2.5, and they did a great job of utilizing the engine to the best of it's abilities. It's not ground breaking by any means, but it's not supposed to be. This game has been in development for so long and across so many different engines that I am surprised it came out as good as it did. It's not going to push the limits of any half was decent gaming PC that's for sure. One noteworthy fact about DNF, it is NOT a console port. The single player campaign was created for PC from the ground up and it was then later ported TO console after it was completed. The reverse of what we often see these days. The graphics are great. Nothing Earth shattering like I said above, but you can tell they pushed the limit of the engine and used it very well. If you want ground breaking graphics, you just have to wait for BF3 like the rest of us. For Duke Nukem, these graphics serve him, and the game, quite well across all platforms. The sounds in the game are also well done. The topper being the fact that Jon St.John reprises his role as the voice of Duke Nukem. Not only do you get many of the classic phrases we have loved for so many years, but literally dozens more that just make the overall game experience so much more enjoyable.

Overall I give the game high marks. I got what I expected out of Duke Nukem Forever, a fun and entertaining adult game that does justice to the name without taking me back to the 90's, except for the fact I had just as much fun playing DNF as I did Duke Nukem 3D. I did not place the game on such a high pedestal that makes it nearly impossible to meet, something far too many people do these days. It is reminiscent of what used to be fun about playing Duke Nukem 3D, but for a modern time, I think they did a great job bringing Duke back and I look forward to seeing where he goes next.
  14. Jun 14, 2011
    This will focus on multiplayer. It's fun. It reminds me a bit of Team Fortress 2 in the cartoonish, fast and fun action. Of course it's different than that, but has its similarities aside from not having different classes (but with all the varied weapons it is like different classes). Freeze rays, rocket launchers, lasers, shotgun, shrink ray, pistol, rail gun, etc. Although I haven'tThis will focus on multiplayer. It's fun. It reminds me a bit of Team Fortress 2 in the cartoonish, fast and fun action. Of course it's different than that, but has its similarities aside from not having different classes (but with all the varied weapons it is like different classes). Freeze rays, rocket launchers, lasers, shotgun, shrink ray, pistol, rail gun, etc. Although I haven't seen any 'speed' changers...you run as fast no matter the weapon. If you are worried about the older nature of the tech as it has to do with a controller, the 360 controller for pc works no problem. So no worries there.

You might need to sign in through the friends sign in thingy on steam if the multiplayer is greyed out, and make sure the steam community is enabled.

The running around small can be a plus, as it can allow you into places you normally can't get to. Sometimes to hide, other times for powerups. It does make them harder to shoot and they can still shoot back but it appears it's weaker for them? Freeze ray will freeze them for a time, and of course if you get killed before finishing them off, they will unfreeze and be fine. There are lifts, that will launch you, sort of like Halo (but not all the way across the map). As hinted, the levels can have multiple stories. Just like most modern shooters, your health will regenerate if you run away and hide. You can duck and jump, but no double jump or crawl. The unlock gear is unlocked pretty easily. It is whacky. For instance I now have a pumpkin with one thing, and another unlock gives me no eyes. Pretty cool, and while there are only 3-4 things you can change about duke, there are many different things any of those 3-4 things are, so there are many whacky It's a bit simplistic, but again it is fast and furious, multiple ways to get from point a to b, and is just plain fun. Level design is pretty cool, it is varied, and the levels aren't all the same color. If you want a non-military style online shooter experience, this can satisfy that need. I can't speak for single player as I'm not focusing on that in this review or score. The graphics are a bit dated, but with the cartoon feel it doesn't exactly matter. Again team fortress 2 style graphics ain't bad either, just don't expect dx11 motion blur. It installs dx9.0c so, it's just a few years standard stuff. The online multiplayer can vary quite a bit depending on how the game is setup. One match had basically shotgun, others had all the weapons. C4 type explosives with detonator, as well as trip mine type. Beer (damage dampener), Steroids (makes you bunch harder), and other stuff, like double weapon damage....someone said UT3 sort of stuff is also about right...but implemented with duke's style.

I haven't seen all the maps, nor used the jetpack, but I'm sure that would make it even more varied. Two hours played went by fast. dm, tdm, king of the hill, and capture the babe (flag) is what I've noticed. They have a button for dlc, so who knows what they add in the future.

Overall when you consider it isn't CoD, and tries to be what it is, it's satisfying and simple, yet varied. For multiplayer I give it an 8. (I rarely give 10's unless it's skyrim [assumed] good). So 8 for multiplayer is good. Some might see the lack of kill streak bonuses like getting an airstrike and such and give it lower, but if you know going in what it is, and notice the subtle differences it has with such and thought put into the level design there are some zany times to be had that differentiates it from most other shooters and provides a refreshing take from the great but similar military style multiplayer shooters. You can make up your own mind on whether or not it's worth full price, but there is little excuse to not pick it up when you see it on discount going forward. At $45 on steam pre-order I'm satisfied with the purchase. It should be compared more against the Team Fortress 2 types, then CoD/Battlefield/Resistance/Killzone/Halo types. There was room in the genre for one of these, and it fits that niche nicely. I wasn't one who waited for it, so i'm not a fanboi of this game. I might of played the original back in the day in high school, but don't really remember it. So I didn't come in with any past expectations nor loyalty to the brand. If you can get past that it doesn't use dx11(or 10) style graphics, and put it in its proper place, and don't judge it off one server's variation of the game, it's a fun game. Enjoy. Remember 13 years in development is a skewed number, they redid the game a couple of times, and bought it off the scrap heap a ~couple of years ago.
  15. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a defined good FPS game that has been in the makings of 14 years. By the release date, I decided to grab the PC version as the game had a good quality. The multiplayer action that I've experience is good, but I had disconnecting issues probably because the game was released on North America launch date. The single player is good as the story follows the game through.Duke Nukem Forever is a defined good FPS game that has been in the makings of 14 years. By the release date, I decided to grab the PC version as the game had a good quality. The multiplayer action that I've experience is good, but I had disconnecting issues probably because the game was released on North America launch date. The single player is good as the story follows the game through. You get to face many enemies in the game and there is a lot of interaction. One downside to this game is that you could only hold "Two weapons" which you would decide on which weapon you would like to keep. Jon St. John's voice acting is back and Duke is back then ever. I rate this game a 9/10 mainly because of the well defined action FPS gameplay... Expand
  16. Jun 14, 2011
    I've been a Duke fan ever since the first game on DOS, so I was eagerly awaiting DNF. Finally it's here...but is it worth it? Yes, yes it is. It feels like a modernized Duke3D in terms of humor and interactivity, but I believe 3D Realms made some poor decisions towards the end of development: you can only hold two weapons at once, you have regenerating health instead of picking up medkits,I've been a Duke fan ever since the first game on DOS, so I was eagerly awaiting DNF. Finally it's here...but is it worth it? Yes, yes it is. It feels like a modernized Duke3D in terms of humor and interactivity, but I believe 3D Realms made some poor decisions towards the end of development: you can only hold two weapons at once, you have regenerating health instead of picking up medkits, and the levels are linear without many secrets. Other than that the game is awesome. The multiplayer is fun as well, and there's an entire set of Duke one-liners that can only be heard while playing online. As you level up you unlock customization options (hats, t-shirts, glasses, etc.) There is also a feature called "My Digs" which is basically a giant apartment where you can unlock features seen in the single player, such as gym equipment, a pool table, air hockey, pinball, and various pieces of Duke memorabilia. You can then go around the apartment interacting with all that stuff. As a Duke fan I give the game an 8.5, but the game might be less appealing to players who have no prior history with the character. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2011
    Dated graphics and long loading times :(. But the game play is fun with intense battles, plat forming, driving and some puzzle solving. And though it has a regenerating health system it is much more challenging than i.e. Halo. All in all a great game packed with some dated graphics.
  18. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Hail to the King!"
    Lange, wirklich lange mussten die Duke Fans warten! Bis auf ein paar kleine nicht so schöne sachen (aussenlevels, nicht ganz so schlaue Gegner), Geb ich dem Duke trotzdem volle Punkte: Weil er einfach der King ist und seid langen mal wieder ein Char ist, der nicht nur stumpsinnig rumlatscht...er rockt einfach - weil er so ist wie er ist!!!

"Let`s Rock!"
  19. Jun 14, 2011
    Had to give this a 10 to offset the typical rage 0's thrown down by emo kids and crybabies. Sadly this game can't really get much respect in the current age we live in. Too many people overly sensitive and too easily offended. Cry me a river folks. This game will be fun for any old school type guy or fan of the series in general. It is by no means perfect and my true score would be closerHad to give this a 10 to offset the typical rage 0's thrown down by emo kids and crybabies. Sadly this game can't really get much respect in the current age we live in. Too many people overly sensitive and too easily offended. Cry me a river folks. This game will be fun for any old school type guy or fan of the series in general. It is by no means perfect and my true score would be closer to 7.5 - 8 . Regardless, this game is loads of goofy fun and it will bring back memories. Enjoy the game for what it is folks. If you are overly feminist, easily offended, or too sensitive, dont waste your time on this. This game is not for emo cry babies. I could continue to ramble but. "It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum." Expand
  20. Jun 14, 2011
    Kick ass game worth waiting (for me). Sure, the graphics sucks, but who cares? Duke doesn't need graphics like Crysis to kick some asses. The game has everything - babes, puzzles, mini games, cars..
  21. Jun 14, 2011
  22. Jun 14, 2011
    This game isn't as groundbreaking as DN3D. But it has everything it needs to make a Duke Nukem game. The beer, the **** the bad mouth humor, and some blood. Anybody who says this game is bad is whining because it doesn't look like your fabled CoD series. Well news to these **** WE DON'T WANT GAMES TO LOOK LIKE COD. CoD is just fast paced, no logic, brain stimulation. Duke Nukem requiresThis game isn't as groundbreaking as DN3D. But it has everything it needs to make a Duke Nukem game. The beer, the **** the bad mouth humor, and some blood. Anybody who says this game is bad is whining because it doesn't look like your fabled CoD series. Well news to these **** WE DON'T WANT GAMES TO LOOK LIKE COD. CoD is just fast paced, no logic, brain stimulation. Duke Nukem requires you to think a little, unlike CoD where the object of the game is to kill everything that isn't marked green. Games like DNF are games that will go down in history as a badly reviewed game, but a fan loved game. I recommend this game to TRUE GAMERS. Any regular CoD players should let this one by, you will find this game far too hard for your brain capacity. Expand
  23. Jun 14, 2011
    Not as ground-breaking as its predecessor, Duke Nukem Forever nevertheless brings in some much needed fun into the genre with a memorable single-player campaign with humorous details littered throughout and some semi-old school pacing.

The 12 hour SP campaign is unusually compelling, has some great moments and the interactive ego boosters you find are rewarding. The story and character is essentially over the top satire and a lot of the humor references other games and pop culture. The puzzles are great, supplying a pacing one finds in past Valve titles and are all very engaging. Most levels feel unique and a few provide interesting twists to gameplay. Many of the scripted sequences lack polish and a few areas appear downright bare when nothing happens. The FBA animations are world class and create cinematic events to immerse you in a rather zany action hero.

The weapons are a smart mix of conventional, alien and fun. A limited carry capacity for primary guns stresses environmental interaction and map domination. The separately mapped explosives and powerups make for clever tactics. Boss fights provide unique challenges and end in amusing fatalities in keeping with the series. Duke's ego, itself a parody of regenerating health systems, provides some respite from the occasionally punishing combat and brutal enemy characters.

Graphics are a mixed bag as Vegas looks like a dull attempt at realism and many outdoors areas in general don't have the vibrancy of most indoor levels, which are rendered well. Post-processing effects often tend to miss the mark and some explosions and weapon effects don't always look too good while other effects and dynamic soft shadows look very nice. The level geometry is mostly for the low end and while static meshes are detailed, this is a game that's meant to run better than it looks.

Overall, it's a remarkably fun, un-PC game and despite the lack of polish in many areas, makes for a uniquely hand-crafted experience that stays with you. I'd recommend this to fans of the Half-life series who don't mind a varied pace. But those interested in graphics or more polished titles with tighter, combat to combat scripting like the Call of Duty series might want to wait till this one is on sale.
  24. Jun 14, 2011
    As a female gamer who has logged countless hours in Black ops and Left 4 Dead 2, this game is not only refreshing but absolutely hilarious. From the moment I started the game I was laughing non stop, and even on easy the challenge of the game is actually invigorating. The interactive world is so much fun, and the fact they put so much time into the sayings and the things you can do, I amAs a female gamer who has logged countless hours in Black ops and Left 4 Dead 2, this game is not only refreshing but absolutely hilarious. From the moment I started the game I was laughing non stop, and even on easy the challenge of the game is actually invigorating. The interactive world is so much fun, and the fact they put so much time into the sayings and the things you can do, I am so thrilled I decided to buys. Not for the easily offended or people with a weak sense of humor, but if you were either those then why did you even look at this game in the first place! Happy alien hunting! Expand
  25. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem is great fun! thats what its all about. Who gives a flying f*ck that the graphics are UT engine, they still look very good!!! People who rate it low are just whining pathetic most likely COD players!. Duke Nukem is everything I exptected Dukes Ego, funny comments, crudeness and interaction. Its a great game to play its not serious and hilarious in most parts. People forget whatDuke Nukem is great fun! thats what its all about. Who gives a flying f*ck that the graphics are UT engine, they still look very good!!! People who rate it low are just whining pathetic most likely COD players!. Duke Nukem is everything I exptected Dukes Ego, funny comments, crudeness and interaction. Its a great game to play its not serious and hilarious in most parts. People forget what Duke is about! Expand
  26. Jun 14, 2011
    First Duke3D forced me to buy old 486, and i played Duke3D without the sound. I was waiting for all these years and this Duke Nukem does not dissapoint. The graphics are really decent and much better then on xbox360. Im enjoying every minut of it. Black Ops and Crysis 2 kids will probably disagree with me but odlschool fans will appreciate DNF.
  27. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever delivers exactly what I was expecting for. It's a fun shooter, with it's flaws, sure, but it's still a game with its own characteristics. Don't go and compare DNF with CoD or Halo, they are almost different genres. Duke has personality, have his lines, his sense of humor. The others? Just silent protagonists. Hail to the king, baby!
  28. Jun 14, 2011
    Anyone who gave this game a rating of 6 or less is nothing more than a whiney douche p*ssy anal retentive troll not worthy of the fun the game brings. IT'S FUN. Is it revolutionary? No. But then I wasn't expecting that. Been playing it for a few hours now and having a blast with the Duke. Anyone complaining about graphics, your IQ is probably below 80. If you want revolutionary, goAnyone who gave this game a rating of 6 or less is nothing more than a whiney douche p*ssy anal retentive troll not worthy of the fun the game brings. IT'S FUN. Is it revolutionary? No. But then I wasn't expecting that. Been playing it for a few hours now and having a blast with the Duke. Anyone complaining about graphics, your IQ is probably below 80. If you want revolutionary, go somewhere else. If you want a trip down memory lane with an old friend, you shouldn't be disappointed. Maybe if this game does half decent, they can have the means needed to produce a "better" product or whatever these idiots seem to think the game doesn't have. The demo doesn't do the game any justice, if you still aren't for sure to get it or not, wait til there is a sale on steam and pick it up. Expand
  29. Jun 14, 2011
    It's funny that I read all the critic reviews bemoaning that the game does not blow them away on all fronts, and how dare Duke not have really evolved as a character since DN3D. 'It's horrible it's terrible it's painful to play!' they all scream.

And then, buried somewhere in the mass of verbiage, there's the line 'But it's fun.' I think that single line sums up this game. It's not MEANT to be a Halo Gears of War: Call of Battleground Honor. Yes, the mouse aiming is terribad on occasion. I'm betting on a patch soon on that. And really that's my only complaint about it.

It's a fun game. Period. Do I dislike the bits of all the other modern cover based shooters that snuck into it? Sure. But, am I going to whine about it and deny that I enjoyed the game thoroughly? Hell no.
  30. Jun 14, 2011
    Don't going in thinking 'it's been 12 years, I better see something amazing'. That's like going into a comedy movie and expecting to see oscar performances. Drop your expectations back down, remember, it's still just a game. Look at the lead character. he's a campy, one liner from a time of better movies, and silent protagonists. The gameplay gets switched up alot, and while no singleDon't going in thinking 'it's been 12 years, I better see something amazing'. That's like going into a comedy movie and expecting to see oscar performances. Drop your expectations back down, remember, it's still just a game. Look at the lead character. he's a campy, one liner from a time of better movies, and silent protagonists. The gameplay gets switched up alot, and while no single mechanic really stands out, they are all still solid and they work well. The star of the show is what you bought this game for, and the Duke shines, he is raunchy, sexist, and above all.. it's hilarious.

If you want an award winning game, go somewhere else. But if you can drop your huge expectations, crack a few beers and have a good time.. pop this sucker in. I'm lovin it. Hail to the king, baby!
  31. Jun 14, 2011
    If you're sick to death of Call of Duty clones and want something that doesn't take itself even vaguely seriously, you can't go wrong with Duke Nukem Forever. Whatever you do, don't go in expecting this game, with an infamous development story, to be the second coming or anything.
  32. Jun 14, 2011
    give this game a chance..yes, its not revolutionary, yes, its not up to par with todays standards..if ur a pc gamer from the 90's u will give this game the chance it deserves and ou will play as if you were playing it in the 90's, cause thats where it belongs...thats how it feels...dont go expecting groundbreaking stuff, expect it as it is...a duke nukem game..full of charm, nonsense,give this game a chance..yes, its not revolutionary, yes, its not up to par with todays standards..if ur a pc gamer from the 90's u will give this game the chance it deserves and ou will play as if you were playing it in the 90's, cause thats where it belongs...thats how it feels...dont go expecting groundbreaking stuff, expect it as it is...a duke nukem game..full of charm, nonsense, nasty awesome stuff... Expand
  33. Jun 15, 2011
    I so wanted to like this game. We need new, innovative and daring FPSs - in short we need Duke. So what went wrong? Well this game feels like the rag bag of development that it is. Some levels are ok, not great, but ok. Most levels are terrible. The graphics are very dated - but it isn't just the graphics, the whole feel of the game.is clunky. The level design is boring and extremelyI so wanted to like this game. We need new, innovative and daring FPSs - in short we need Duke. So what went wrong? Well this game feels like the rag bag of development that it is. Some levels are ok, not great, but ok. Most levels are terrible. The graphics are very dated - but it isn't just the graphics, the whole feel of the game.is clunky. The level design is boring and extremely linear. The one liners are funny for the most part but they can't rescue this slow, ploddy game. Long boring driving sections - I love driving sections in most games but this just doesn't work. The vehicles feel like they are slowing you down more than helping. Out of fuel again? What's that - three times? It plods and it plods.

Really annoying are the many times when a game character blocks your path by standing in the middle of a wide corridor. Look, I could drive a bus through that gap but Duke has his nose against the invisible wall and the game is not letting me past until I've watched a tedious video on a TV or listened to some dialogue. I want to scream "You're Duke - shove that guy out of your way." It isn't happening. This feels really pointlessly irritating when you find a kid sitting on your throne who refuses to move unless you take his photo. Yep that's right - Duke has to run around after some kid before being allowed to proceed. If that doesn't ruin the immersion nothing will. Bad, bad, bad idea - but it's just one example. I had plenty to choose from.

I have waited for this for years. I played, and loved Duke 3D all those years ago. I wanted this to be great but I'm not letting that blind me to a truly horrible gaming experience. This is my opinion of course - but I have stated clear reasons above why this game is bad. And it really is bad. Oh God it's bad. How ever much of a fan you are stop and think. Or at least stop and wait until this hits the bargain bin - you won't have to wait long.
  34. Jun 14, 2011
    Let me just say that I have never played a Duke Nukem game before. That being said, I really enjoy this game so far. I don't know why everyone thinks the graphics suck, I think they're all right. Guns are solid, and Duke's one-liners are hilarious. So far, I'm at the casino, the aliens are fun to fight, shooting is solid, storyline is basic and funny, and there are nice little breaks fromLet me just say that I have never played a Duke Nukem game before. That being said, I really enjoy this game so far. I don't know why everyone thinks the graphics suck, I think they're all right. Guns are solid, and Duke's one-liners are hilarious. So far, I'm at the casino, the aliens are fun to fight, shooting is solid, storyline is basic and funny, and there are nice little breaks from the shooting. I don't care that it took 14 years to make, it's a good game. The only reason I took off a point is because of the two weapon limit. Not a fan of it. Expand
  35. Jun 14, 2011
    Very funny, very fun game. Don't listen to the reviewers. They've been blinded into thinking that all FPS games should be the same, and anything different they can't understand/accept. A 10 in my book.
  36. Jun 14, 2011
    I do not get the hate for this game. The toilet humor is pretty bad and the AI is dumb as bricks but the actual game itself has a lot of variety. There is plenty of puzzles, driving levels, boss battles, and cool levels. The design is a bit dated but if you weren't expecting that, I don't know what to say other than this game was in development for 12 years, it's going to show it's age.I do not get the hate for this game. The toilet humor is pretty bad and the AI is dumb as bricks but the actual game itself has a lot of variety. There is plenty of puzzles, driving levels, boss battles, and cool levels. The design is a bit dated but if you weren't expecting that, I don't know what to say other than this game was in development for 12 years, it's going to show it's age. The beginning levels were kinda of boring but every review I have seen suck focuses on those levels and the toilet humor. Makes me wonder if they played the game from beginning to end. I saw IGN's gameplay commentary video and the guy was very early in the game already complaining about it, didn't seem like it was going to get a fair chance after seeing that. Now this game is no 10/10 but it certainly deserves better than what the reviews are saying. I'm giving a 10/10 because I know that is going to get downvoted pretty bad. Expand
  37. Jun 14, 2011
    This game has been in development hell for ages, it shows. When you think about it, something that has been worked on, on and off for 13 years. You don't expect it to be a game that has been in continuous development and polishing for 13 years, I think many people get this wrong. Its been started, ended, restarted, changes graphic engine at least 3 times, been through financial hell andThis game has been in development hell for ages, it shows. When you think about it, something that has been worked on, on and off for 13 years. You don't expect it to be a game that has been in continuous development and polishing for 13 years, I think many people get this wrong. Its been started, ended, restarted, changes graphic engine at least 3 times, been through financial hell and back and to hell again. This is a game that should have come out around 2001-2003.

Now, enough defending its production cycle and the obvious reason for why the game is as oldschool as it is. If you are able to let your mind wander back 10 years when you play it, you will understand everything about how the game plays. And then you will have fun.. that is if you like Duke Nukem and not just what you think you like because you have read somewhere that Duke was fun but you never played it because you where to young or never bothered recently because the graphics are so bad..

The game is quite good, at least that is what i think. There is a lot of variety, diving stages, turret stages, strip club, tons of mini games and hidden fun. Especially the tinyDuke levels are pretty well designed. Bosses are fun, and the guns are good too. And i didn't even experience a single bug on my playthrough. That's got to be a first right? Still not without it flaws, its a nostaligafest of the rare, and i know most people wanted a UnrealHalf-LifeHaloUnchartedSeriousSam game.. But all you get is Duke Nukem, and that is all I wanted.
  38. Jun 14, 2011
    Hell as frozen over, pigs have flown and Duke Nukem Forever is finally here and whilst it could never have lived up to its hype it has broken the boundaries of what can be put into a game. The game is basically an old school shooter with modern graphics and references. If you want a game that's realistic or a new modern day shooter then you'll want to pass this. If you want a fun, actionHell as frozen over, pigs have flown and Duke Nukem Forever is finally here and whilst it could never have lived up to its hype it has broken the boundaries of what can be put into a game. The game is basically an old school shooter with modern graphics and references. If you want a game that's realistic or a new modern day shooter then you'll want to pass this. If you want a fun, action packed and adrenaline thrilled campaign with great set-piece moments, humours dialog and that Duke Nukem attitude then settle back for one great steroid and beer fueled ride. Defiantly not a game for "Cod Kids" Expand
  39. Jun 14, 2011
    Despite the two-weapon system, the lack of jet pack in single-player campaign, and rather linear level designs, I had a good time with this game. I guess it helped that I had rather low (realistic?) expectations on what to expect from this. If it had the old weapon system from Duke Nukem 3D, I would rate this game a 9.
  40. Jun 14, 2011
    Quite frankly the greatest game of our generation. From the rock solid humor to the smooth graphics, all is good here. I can;t speak for the issues people are having with the console versions, but the pc version is top notch! Game of The year, BABY!!
  41. Jun 14, 2011
    Graphics bad? maybe. Graphics fun? Yes! Gameplay mechanics bad? Nope! Gameplay mechanics fun? YES! i really love todays games like The Witcher 2, Mass Effect, Company of Heroes to name a few, but when I play (and just to play 14 years ago) Duke Nukem I expect plain funny fun! Well, Duke Nukem Forever delivers that with only a small compromise, the graphics... well I don't care! The 10 isGraphics bad? maybe. Graphics fun? Yes! Gameplay mechanics bad? Nope! Gameplay mechanics fun? YES! i really love todays games like The Witcher 2, Mass Effect, Company of Heroes to name a few, but when I play (and just to play 14 years ago) Duke Nukem I expect plain funny fun! Well, Duke Nukem Forever delivers that with only a small compromise, the graphics... well I don't care! The 10 is for the fun to be had with DNF, if you are able to enjoy life, eghegheheheeee! Expand
  42. Fuz
    Jun 15, 2011
    Terrible.
    This is not Duke Nukem, it's a childish parody of it.
    The graphics are terrible, frequent and extremely slow loading times are unacceptable (especially with this graphics), the 2-weapon system is annoying, the maps are just small corridors, the FOV is an abomination, gunfights are boring, driving sections are annoying. The original Duke Nukem was a great game, and doesn't deserve
    Terrible.
    This is not Duke Nukem, it's a childish parody of it.
    The original Duke Nukem was a great game, and doesn't deserve a sequel so bad.
  43. Jun 21, 2011
    Been on the 3dR forums since '97, have the magazine in which DNF was revealed, still say that Duke3d is the greatest FPS ever made... but DNF is total crud. Seriously, the only reason to play it is just to see for yourself the abomination that it is. This is a nearly heart-breaking Duke Nukem catastrophe, I wish I could go back in time 14 years and tell myself to not wait for DNF and notBeen on the 3dR forums since '97, have the magazine in which DNF was revealed, still say that Duke3d is the greatest FPS ever made... but DNF is total crud. Seriously, the only reason to play it is just to see for yourself the abomination that it is. This is a nearly heart-breaking Duke Nukem catastrophe, I wish I could go back in time 14 years and tell myself to not wait for DNF and not waste attention on it because it's going to blow to the fullest possible extent. The only problem with that, though, is that I'd never believe my future self, as I had so much confidence in 3dR... and how could I not? Considering they made Duke3d, as well as releasing dozens of fantastic smaller games prior? How the mighty have fallen, and how greatly sad it is

Be warned, there is absolutely nothing old school about this game, not in the least, and especially nothing resembling Doom or Duke3d style shooting. This game is the exact opposite of Old School. DNF is slow moving, with slow movement speed, limited sprint ability, few enemies with combat that is spaced far apart, 2-weapon carry-limit with universal ammo crates, regenerating health, quicktime events, and wtih completely linear & boring level design.

Anybody who dares try to trick you into buying this game by suggesting it is old school in even the slightest manner is lying to you through their teeth or simply has convinced themselves of a lie to rationalize the 14 years they've wasted waiting for this game. DNF is no more old-school than it is a space-pony training RPG that takes place on Mt Olympus.
  44. Oct 27, 2011
    Revised review. Even the fact that it's Duke can't save this game. This piece of history has been rendered worthless. But still, it's a piece of history. That's worth one point.
  45. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a nice change of pace from the current FPS heavyweights. It has a similar kind of charm as a throwback action movie. A mix of campy humour, sex, and a ton of violence. Alot of effort was made to bring back the old Duke feel and I think the development team(s) did a good job. Probably one of DNF's biggest strengths. Level design was interesting at times and dull atDuke Nukem Forever is a nice change of pace from the current FPS heavyweights. It has a similar kind of charm as a throwback action movie. A mix of campy humour, sex, and a ton of violence. Alot of effort was made to bring back the old Duke feel and I think the development team(s) did a good job. Probably one of DNF's biggest strengths. Level design was interesting at times and dull at others, about what you'd expect from all but the very best FPS's. Gameplay is comprised of not just killing hoards of aliens but also puzzles, vehicles, and mini games (reminds me of Deus Ex). The graphics are on par with Halo 3, polished but dated by todays standards. All in all I had fun kicking @$$ with the Duke after all these years. Expand
  46. Jun 14, 2011
    This game was so disappointing, The original Duke Nukem was so much fun as it was original, humorous and to top it off was a great fun game to play. This thing fails on so many levels it is hard to know where to begin, The graphics are poor but that can be excused as you don't buy this game for the graphics. The game is incredibly linear, The humor dated and really just identical from theThis game was so disappointing, The original Duke Nukem was so much fun as it was original, humorous and to top it off was a great fun game to play. This thing fails on so many levels it is hard to know where to begin, The graphics are poor but that can be excused as you don't buy this game for the graphics. The game is incredibly linear, The humor dated and really just identical from the previous game 14 years ago, hell you don't even get to use any weapons till you have stumbled around in incredibly boring story line for 20-30 mins, To top it off the controls just seem clunky. Perhaps this is one sequel that really would have been better off left unmade. Expand
  47. Jun 14, 2011
    A definite letdown. The game feels unfinished and most of the gameplay mechanics are just horribly dated. It doesn't seem worth the wait but the main problem is that it just feels out of place now. If you're after an example of old school gaming done right then go and play something like Bulletstorm, but as it is, this game just doesn't hold it's own and as a standalone title, it'sA definite letdown. The game feels unfinished and most of the gameplay mechanics are just horribly dated. It doesn't seem worth the wait but the main problem is that it just feels out of place now. If you're after an example of old school gaming done right then go and play something like Bulletstorm, but as it is, this game just doesn't hold it's own and as a standalone title, it's borderline rubbish. Expand
  48. Jun 14, 2011
    One of the worse games ever made on any platform. It has so many issues/problems & is certainly not even close to being a full price game or acceptable 2011 game.

1: Game is not even finished its an alpha version at best. 2: Gfx are very dated/bland/boring/horrible looking. Textures are missing/incomplete or just blank colours. 3: Gameplay is linear/boring/uninteresting. 4: Art

1: Game is not even finished its an alpha version at best.
    3: Gameplay is linear/boring/uninteresting.
    4: Art design is very very lacking.
    5: Humour & game content are in places quite offensive this is not a game for children/teens as it contains sexist & pornographic humour I do not feel belongs in a computer game at all.

This game feels to me like a highly cynical cash grab to recover some of the lengthy development budget wasted (boy was it wasted here!). After so long you would reasonably expect something which at least matches Duke Nukem 3D/Manhattan Project well this manages to be vastly inferior to both of them & you have to wonder why this is considered to be a full price game when it would have looked & played poorly 10 years ago!

Gamer beware this truly is one of the worse games ever made & without the Duke Nukem name would be a budget price at launch & is quite rightly getting a lot of negative reviews.
  49. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1.advantage: it's Duke Nukem Hero! DefectS: everything else. horrible graphics, dull gameplay, unfunny humor, absolutely not interesting multiplayer, missing physics, awkward controls Expand
  50. Jun 14, 2011
    roughly 14 years....really sad. i expected so much more. i should have known it the demo was really what it was going to be like. too bad Duke had to go down this way.
  51. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a collection of minigames with short passages of regular FPS gaming. Even getting the game started takes 45 painfilled minutes while Duke admires himself, posters and signs autographs.

It's a bad game, don't buy it.
  52. Jun 3, 2012
    An interesting game, in my opinion better than the project 15 years ago, recently bought a CD with a retro - games, all set and the first thing started to play Duke Nukem 3D, graphics are not terrible, and the plot, or what I do not understand
  53. Aug 12, 2011
    Awesome followup of the original. Without getting in the middle of the drama that is giving this game bad reviews I'll say not recommended for juveniles, there's extreme grotesqueness and swearing. If you want the full experience it should be played on a very large monitor, I played it fullscreen 1080P core i7 and 5870 and rocked through every minute of it. I was really surprized that whenAwesome followup of the original. Without getting in the middle of the drama that is giving this game bad reviews I'll say not recommended for juveniles, there's extreme grotesqueness and swearing. If you want the full experience it should be played on a very large monitor, I played it fullscreen 1080P core i7 and 5870 and rocked through every minute of it. I was really surprized that when I went into video settings, 1080P was recognized in-game. The casino was greatly detailed, there were quite a few maps of it, the stripclub, and the remote truck as well as other neat stuff. Didn't like the drawnout stretch of shrink as often as it was but every part of the game was thought through and given detail. The smoothness of the game was great, the difficulty had artificial intelligence built-in to govern gameplay dynamics, which gave respect to the control system of the original game, FPS. I'm giving it a 10 for a game that expands upon previous steps up in fps gameplay, The **** looked real. The faces were right-on for a game, great detail with smoothness. The faces were obviously not meant to look real, doll-like really, but I imagine giving one much detail would lead to not only an artist costs, but higher model expectations as well. It was great to reminisce on, I unlocked all maps in about 3 days of hardcore play on next up from easy. Expand
  54. Sep 11, 2011
    In the an age of combat simulation games, RPG-Shooters and Endless multiplayers, Duke Nukem comes back witht he same formula that made it famous 15 years ago. Most younger players will not understand this game and have underated it, so much hype for so many years caused many to be dissapointed, but if you know how games were back in the day and liked the original one, you are surely goingIn the an age of combat simulation games, RPG-Shooters and Endless multiplayers, Duke Nukem comes back witht he same formula that made it famous 15 years ago. Most younger players will not understand this game and have underated it, so much hype for so many years caused many to be dissapointed, but if you know how games were back in the day and liked the original one, you are surely going to enjoy this one. I already finished it and I loved it, the humor is there, the babes are there and the irreverent duke we all love and miss. Yes, sometimes the game has some slow paced moments and a couple of the puzzles are not that fun, but the rest is great specially the boss encounters. So what do you expect from a game that is coming back from the 90s? a 90s like style game! if you are ok with that you are gonna like this one , no matter what people say. Way to go DN I can't wait for a sequel! Expand
  55. Jul 17, 2012
    Das Spiel ist einfach richtig funny , ich mag den multiplayer sehr :) der einzelplayer ist auch ganz gut :)
    aber mir fehlt im spiel die gewisse würze darum vergebe ich dem Spiel 7 Gute Punkte :)
  56. Jul 3, 2011
    I've been waiting for this game since the day they announced it, but I wasn't expecting something groundbreaking anymore. I knew 3Drealms had no chance competing with the other softwarehouses and their inability to finish the game made that very clear. I didn't care though. Duke nukem is a game for simple action and fun, let other developers worry about stuff like superior graphics,I've been waiting for this game since the day they announced it, but I wasn't expecting something groundbreaking anymore. I knew 3Drealms had no chance competing with the other softwarehouses and their inability to finish the game made that very clear. I didn't care though. Duke nukem is a game for simple action and fun, let other developers worry about stuff like superior graphics, realism and storylines.

Still, even with my simple (not to be mistaken with low) expectations, the game didn't really deliver. Don't get me wrong, there were fun parts and even a few original elements, but it just felt thrown together. Even though I know it was actually thrown together in the end, still, after 12 years I expected at least some things to be really polished, but nothing was. Even the music and voice acting was bad, and those things could have been perfected ages ago. The only thing that stood out was the huge amount of pop-reference and sex jokes they've managed to put in the game. It's almost impossible not to find at least one or two jokes that are a little funny.

I could fill a page with con's, but I'll just mention the biggest one. Some levels were very boring. I liked the driving/racing element and also the "mini" levels, but they were repetitive, not really challenging and just didn't seem to end. Some "live cutscenes" had the same effect. There were some really nice levels with challenging fights that weren't half as complex as those boring parts, so it would've been nice if they just added a few more of those. What I really liked was that the puzzles were slightly more challenging than those of most modern shooters.

I'm giving it a 6 because in the end it was entertaining, even though I never got to use a jetpack in single player :(
  57. Aug 30, 2011
    First of all, this game is not nearly as bad as people say it is. I dove into the abyss of what I thought was going to be a dissapointment but no. I thought it would be a terrible game. I was wrong. The music is average, the levels are average, the graphics is 2008. Many things lack seriously in detail, especially the women models. The bossfights are cool. Not that I love anything aboutFirst of all, this game is not nearly as bad as people say it is. I dove into the abyss of what I thought was going to be a dissapointment but no. I thought it would be a terrible game. I was wrong. The music is average, the levels are average, the graphics is 2008. Many things lack seriously in detail, especially the women models. The bossfights are cool. Not that I love anything about them, but they are fun and not too easy or hard. Every one of them is different and none is bad, well maybe the thing underwater. Classic boss fights. The weapons are cool, well balanced, have nice animations and fun to dispatch enemies. The enemies are well varied, have good AI and get dismembered nicely. I did not like some of the levels, very boring, sometimes tedious and annoying. Often I did not know where to go or what to do. The levels where you play a small Dookie are interesting (esp. the kitchen fights). There are multiple spots where you stand in a field and surpress waves of incoming foes - that is poorly made. The interaction with facilities are ok, though I didn`t find the games too engaging. You also get killed many times because the game has weird scripting. With all that said, I had some fun, I could not get bored to the extent I`d quit playing. Overall the game is easy and simple to play. A standard FPS I`d say.
    Worth the money when you get a 30% discount.
  58. Sep 5, 2011
    It's funny, the controls are sharp and accurate, the combat is fun, the campaign is longer than I expected and it's got a ton of interactive environments. I picked it up on a whim and it turned out to be really, really good. It's an alternate universe in which the world revolves around Duke Nukem being awesome and it just works. Lots of meta humor and fanservice, but not so much that'sIt's funny, the controls are sharp and accurate, the combat is fun, the campaign is longer than I expected and it's got a ton of interactive environments. I picked it up on a whim and it turned out to be really, really good. It's an alternate universe in which the world revolves around Duke Nukem being awesome and it just works. Lots of meta humor and fanservice, but not so much that's it's annoying. Design is on par with every other rail-ish FPS game (Call of Duty, Halo,Resistance,etc), but the detailed environments and sense of parody/satire make it Duke. Reading these other reviews I'm not sure how many people actually played Duke 3D...it was a polished Doom clone with a sense of humor. Same here and it works. Expand
  59. Aug 14, 2011
    The wait wasn't worth the product. Not that the game was bad, but its worst issue was its title. It just didn't live up to the Duke Nukem name. On its own, its a competent shooter along the lines of Bulletstorm. Little humor thrown in, between some fun guns. The overpowering guns of the past seem to be gone as more artificial limitations are placed (i.e. you can only hold 2 weapons atThe wait wasn't worth the product. Not that the game was bad, but its worst issue was its title. It just didn't live up to the Duke Nukem name. On its own, its a competent shooter along the lines of Bulletstorm. Little humor thrown in, between some fun guns. The overpowering guns of the past seem to be gone as more artificial limitations are placed (i.e. you can only hold 2 weapons at a time, presumably to keep it simple for the console releases). Dukes one-liners seem to be misused, but there are some fun ones in there. The open worlds were replaced by linear corridors. And the fun was replaced by trying to explain itself. Rewrite the game with a name other than Duke and it would get better reviews. Put the Duke in, and it just cant live up to its own artificial expectations. Expand
  60. Aug 19, 2011
    I enjoyed this game very much, and i'll tell you why its been getting so much hate. The people who are hating it are the people who played Duke Nukem 3d back in the day. They were teens who had just discovered breasts and swearing. So no wonder you were disapointed when you got Duke Nukem Forever and you couldn't re-live how you remembered DN3D
  61. Aug 20, 2011
    Its a pretty well rounded game, not as bad as everyone says, though it was killed by exrteme hype, since now a lot been updated, the graphics are not that bad if you max it out but apparently morons can't do that or base it on **** xbox graphics.
  62. Sep 14, 2011
    My real note is a 85 % ( 8.5).

Duke Nukem: Forever is what it is supposed to be : A bad ass american who saves the earth with unrealistic ways and a lot of muscles, like all those games from the late 80's and 90's. Why should we critisize that ? it has his own style and the game is made for the old gamers who enjoyed Duke Nukem like me. The game suceed in his humor, it can be very
    My real note is a 85 % ( 8.5).

The game suceed in his humor, it can be very funny sometimes. It is not and have never been consider as a ''serious'' game.

Altough for the time the developpers took to make the video game, we should have name it '' Game of the Year''. The only problems with this game are the Physics, wich are almost scripted like the old games and the Ai is a problem.

But the game features a lot of guns, type of monsters, funny animations, jokes and will get you a lot of fun. But it is for Gamers that enjoyed those old-style games, if you do, be sure to grab your copy of Duke Nukem:Forever before they retire it from the market
    u_u
  63. Jul 21, 2012
    DNF gets a lot of bad reviews... Those guys haven't understood The Duke. Duke Nukem is all about over the top comments during a brutal shoot'em up. This is indeed the game i was waiting for, having played DN1, 2 & 3D as a kid. If you want CoD, go and play that, and get off my lawn! The Duke is for people wanting to kick ass, and possibly chew bubblegum. Period.
  64. Feb 12, 2013
    Was the 15+ years of wait worth it?...hell to the no! DNF should of came out 10 years ago and should be playing duke nukem 6 by now, but thanks to the fat lazy of george, joe, and scott, we will all die knowing that will never happen. but i digress. see thou as the game is glitchy, inferior graphics, poor taste in humor, and a small hint of promoting Misogyny, it still sticks the middleWas the 15+ years of wait worth it?...hell to the no! DNF should of came out 10 years ago and should be playing duke nukem 6 by now, but thanks to the fat lazy of george, joe, and scott, we will all die knowing that will never happen. but i digress. see thou as the game is glitchy, inferior graphics, poor taste in humor, and a small hint of promoting Misogyny, it still sticks the middle finger at todays shooters. DNF paces it self good, a good hand full of mini games, so it's not all bad really. Expand
  65. Oct 12, 2011
    Does DNF feature ground-breaking graphics and visual effects that many gamers look for in the new titles they play? No. Does DNF raise the bar in the multiplayer arena with more realism and more tactics? Arguable, but still no. Then what does DNF do? Deliver a fun, entertaining FPS experience that is challenging and player-friendly.

Sure, I can't press a button to force myself to take

Sure, I can't press a button to force myself to take cover, but this was never meant to be a game about real-life tactics. This is a satire on life. As far as I'm concerned, DNF has delivered a fun, humerous, and entertaining experience. All you roody-poo fan-boys giving this game anything < 7 should've been beaten more by your parents; you whine and expect to get everything you want. You're whats wrong with America. And that's what really grinds my gears.
  66. Mar 21, 2012
    Got this game from a Steam promotion and i was a bit disapointed with the very low overall score. Its extremely underrated, really, i had lots of fun with this game, Its Duke for God sake, one of the best characters ever and only 54? pfft. Well this game has a good gameplay with some okay graphics but what really enjoyed in this game is the interracion that we have and also the catchGot this game from a Steam promotion and i was a bit disapointed with the very low overall score. Its extremely underrated, really, i had lots of fun with this game, Its Duke for God sake, one of the best characters ever and only 54? pfft. Well this game has a good gameplay with some okay graphics but what really enjoyed in this game is the interracion that we have and also the catch phrases. The one thing i didnt like was the huge lag in the multiplayer, its was more like break dance than a multiplayer, but overall a 9 is what it gets from me. Hail to King Baby!!! Expand
  67. Nov 11, 2011
    I can't believe why the critics are incredibly underrating DNF. Why is having too criticism? I know the graphics are good but outdated and the controls were awful. But the story is entertaining and many gameplay elements are great!
  68. Nov 25, 2011
    I went into this game knowing not to take it seriously. The fact that my friend told me I can pick up poop in a bathroom stall in the first map was the giveaway. I saw that as an opportunity to try out a satirical game that was nonsensically hilarious that included some rage-venting action. It's not my favorite game (by far), but I had a hell of a good time playing it.
  69. Jan 10, 2012
    Duke Nukem Forever wasn't nearly as bad as everyone told me, I bought it quite a while after release and actually regret not picking it up earlier! I have been a duke fan since duke 3d and loved mucking around in that game, and this ones no different. Multiplayer unlocks new things in your house to help keep you interested, and the duke attitude still appears to be there :) Don't be aDuke Nukem Forever wasn't nearly as bad as everyone told me, I bought it quite a while after release and actually regret not picking it up earlier! I have been a duke fan since duke 3d and loved mucking around in that game, and this ones no different. Multiplayer unlocks new things in your house to help keep you interested, and the duke attitude still appears to be there :) Don't be a sheep, judge it for yourself! 9/10. Expand
  70. Nov 26, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. Sure, the jokes were corny, controls were a bit clunky, at points it was like a hoard mode type game, but it was still a fun and enjoyable game. Story was good, gameplay was somewhat unique in a good way. Run and gun + occasional hide behind cover. The game got a lot of hate, it did NOT deserve any of it. I had more fun with this game than any call of duty II really enjoyed this game. Sure, the jokes were corny, controls were a bit clunky, at points it was like a hoard mode type game, but it was still a fun and enjoyable game. Story was good, gameplay was somewhat unique in a good way. Run and gun + occasional hide behind cover. The game got a lot of hate, it did NOT deserve any of it. I had more fun with this game than any call of duty I have played. Multiplayer is there, but almost dead. Though the game should be bought for single player. Bosses were epic, especially the final boss. All in all, still a great game. Worth a buy. Expand
  71. Feb 17, 2012
    After reading the reviews I wasn't expecting much from this game, but I was curious, having enjoyed the original. I bought it recently, after the price had reduced quite considerably. OK so it didn't make you go wow, maybe like the original did, but I was pleasantly surprised because the game was a lot of fun to play, and yes, it did take you back to the sensations of the original Duke soAfter reading the reviews I wasn't expecting much from this game, but I was curious, having enjoyed the original. I bought it recently, after the price had reduced quite considerably. OK so it didn't make you go wow, maybe like the original did, but I was pleasantly surprised because the game was a lot of fun to play, and yes, it did take you back to the sensations of the original Duke so it was also a trip down memory lane. Expand
  72. May 7, 2012
    The game that time forgot. Firstly this game is not as bad as others suggest. Yes its not deep and yes its very sexist - but this is Duke Nukem, right? PC got blown out the window with a shotgun. However it does seem to be lacking some focus. Its overly long and the actual minutes are not as gripping as they should be. Duke seems to have not seen many movies this side of the millennium,The game that time forgot. Firstly this game is not as bad as others suggest. Yes its not deep and yes its very sexist - but this is Duke Nukem, right? PC got blown out the window with a shotgun. However it does seem to be lacking some focus. Its overly long and the actual minutes are not as gripping as they should be. Duke seems to have not seen many movies this side of the millennium, which makes it hard to keep it fresh. However it is a dirty secret that it's quite fun just being a 12 year old again, and this game does that in spades. Expand
  73. Jun 18, 2013
    A terrible game, Ive never really seen much to go by in the duke nukem franchise but this game just takes the piss. The story is just bad, the game play is boring the missions are boring, the humor is.....well is it even supposed to be funny. The only reason I gave this game a score higher than 0 was that the little bits added in were actually not bad and take me back to the old days ofA terrible game, Ive never really seen much to go by in the duke nukem franchise but this game just takes the piss. The story is just bad, the game play is boring the missions are boring, the humor is.....well is it even supposed to be funny. The only reason I gave this game a score higher than 0 was that the little bits added in were actually not bad and take me back to the old days of gaming still not enough to make me want to waste my time with this crap though Expand
  74. Dec 11, 2011
    This game just isn't as bad as people want it to be. Face it. It's actually pretty fun. People just had too high of expectations considering how long it took for the game to come out. Thus, their judgement for the game's quality was already distorted in advance. The guns in this game are all varied, interesting, and useful in differing situations. People don't understand what the point ofThis game just isn't as bad as people want it to be. Face it. It's actually pretty fun. People just had too high of expectations considering how long it took for the game to come out. Thus, their judgement for the game's quality was already distorted in advance. The guns in this game are all varied, interesting, and useful in differing situations. People don't understand what the point of a single player FPS is. When you're killing the pig cops, aliens, etc. the game is by no means trying to say that that substitutes for hardcore competitive multiplayer or something... The point is that you're going to be fighting a lot of enemies, and Duke is better than each one of them individually. The challenge comes in where you have to fight a lot of them. The regenerating health, 2 weapon limit, etc. aren't necessarily bad things. I think people just looked at it and said, "uh oh, that's in Call of Duty, obviously it must be a bad thing!" which is funny because most people don't even know why they dislike Call of Duty and only do it because they're told to. But I digress. Anyway, if you take this game for what it is, and know why you're playing it as opposed to other FPS games, it's actually pretty solid. The reason I'm giving it a 7/10 is because I'm just not really that in to FPS. It doesn't have much lasting appeal for me. I don't see myself replaying this one very many times in the future. If you are in to FPS and you judge the game taking it for what it is though, and not just blindly hating it because everyone else does, you will probably like it even more than I did. Expand
  75. Nov 7, 2011
    I'm not sure why this game is receiving so many bad reviews.
    I bought it on pre-order a month before release & for the most part I got exactly what I expected.
    Decent graphics, standard fps "futuristic" weapons, pig cops, & nudity. The worst part of the game is that the levels are rather confined with little give in how you approach a target or the end of the level. Other then this it
    I'm not sure why this game is receiving so many bad reviews.
    Decent graphics, standard fps "futuristic" weapons, pig cops, & nudity.
    The worst part of the game is that the levels are rather confined with little give in how you approach a target or the end of the level. Other then this it follows the fps formula well & tries to be decent.
    It's a much better game then several of the other recent fps games released. The humor, the bad humor & even if lacking in it the advanced game mechanics do make this enjoyable.
    Story is predictable but it does it in a way consistent with the game history & knows it's being predictable. That's alright.
    The nudity is actually a welcome addition as it's well rendered & it's nice to see a developer not chickening out in fears the censors might frown a little. Most people scream about it & say it's not appropriate. That's wrong... in battlefield 3 it would be in appropriate. In this game it fits... that is it actually makes sense based on the "aliens trying to take over the planet & adapt". True... a race so advanced would have better ways to steal our dna but I'd rather see the nudity vs a poor science montage.
    I'd rather play this then that waste of hdd space Homefront which I also just reviewed. Guess which one got uninstalled to make way for older games? Hint: Not Duke Nukem Forever.
  76. Jun 19, 2011
    I blame 3D Realms for wasting 12 years not making this game, and I blame Gearbox for rushing to finish the game because that's what they did. Even though 3D Realms wasted so much time doing nothing, Gearbox could have at least taken some time to make the game better than they did. Its not a bad game, I liked it way better than Modern Warfare 2, but it could have been better on so manyI blame 3D Realms for wasting 12 years not making this game, and I blame Gearbox for rushing to finish the game because that's what they did. Even though 3D Realms wasted so much time doing nothing, Gearbox could have at least taken some time to make the game better than they did. Its not a bad game, I liked it way better than Modern Warfare 2, but it could have been better on so many levels. That is why this game is getting such horrible reviews, everyone was expecting so much more from a game that was in some sort of development for 14 years. This game has one thing that most other games do not you can interact with almost everything, pool tables, tvs, phones, games, slot machines light switches the list goes on these are some things I would like to see in other games instead of just running from point a to point b killing everything in site on your way through the game. I would give this game a 10 but I don't think that would be fair to The Duke because 3d Realms and Gearbox have failed us all. Expand
  77. Oct 6, 2011
    This was the first Duke Nukem game i have played and i wasn't disappointed. It combines cool over the top action with hilarious humour in a real big package. The campaign is actually longer than 5 hours and the multiplayer is about shooting and having simple fun. What some people don't realise is that games doesn't have to be realistic or groundbreaking to be fun, sometimes simple fun isThis was the first Duke Nukem game i have played and i wasn't disappointed. It combines cool over the top action with hilarious humour in a real big package. The campaign is actually longer than 5 hours and the multiplayer is about shooting and having simple fun. What some people don't realise is that games doesn't have to be realistic or groundbreaking to be fun, sometimes simple fun is enough. This is not a game for everyone but for some it's definitely worth it. Expand
  78. Oct 13, 2011
    After seeing all negative reviews and the low meta score I finally had to see for myself what all the stink was about. Steam threw it on sale for $9.99 and I figured it was worth the risk to see what the complaints were all about. In short, it's a great game. If you don't know what Duke Nukem is about, you are in for a surprise. This is an ADULT game for sure, and no one under 18 shouldAfter seeing all negative reviews and the low meta score I finally had to see for myself what all the stink was about. Steam threw it on sale for $9.99 and I figured it was worth the risk to see what the complaints were all about. In short, it's a great game. If you don't know what Duke Nukem is about, you are in for a surprise. This is an ADULT game for sure, and no one under 18 should even get near it. Or those with aversions to dirty humor. Too many people took DNF way too serious because I'm sure they don't know the history of the original game. Honestly, I really like this game. I'm running it on an NVidia GTX560 card on full resolution and it doesn't look bad at all. Although for $59 dollars I would expect better quality graphics, but it's not bad at all. Check out a few screen shots I took. http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/644/dukeforever201110130206.jpg

The playability is great with smooth movement and good feeling movement. Basic first person shooter feel and controls. There are tons of fun and silly things to do and find along the way with rewards if you do them. I honestly think had this game been priced lower around $20-$30 bucks, it would have gotten much better reviews. I think the majority of bad reviews are from people who don't know Duke Nukem and what the game and character is about. This is NOT a game to be taken seriously. Enjoy it for what it is.
  79. Jun 24, 2011
    Ok, the game is NOT as bad as people/critics make it out to be. I've got a GeForce GTX465 and the game looks pretty good overall. Don't expect to be blown away or anything. For a modern day duke nukem game, I'd say this deserves no lower than a 6.
  80. Jul 9, 2011
    Duke is what it has always claimed to be. Donâ
  81. Jul 11, 2011
    It's not COD4 or B:BC2 and thank goodness for that - There are more then enough realistic shooters out there. It was time for a bit of fun, and DNF delivers that - Its got its flaws for sure but it doesn't try to be anything other then a hell of a lot of fun to play. Just go into it with an open mind and prepare to laugh out loud more then you've done in while with a game...
  82. Aug 20, 2011
    Hail to the King Baby
    "Don't be fooled by others!" "killed by hype?"
    - Unbaised Review Graphics 8/10 - The graphics could be better but only a little, but for a Unreal 2.5 Engine, if you max it out, it is pretty ground breaking. Storyline 9/10 - The one liners that made the previous Duke Nukem games so funny are back, it needs a little more of them, and the story is your over the top
    Hail to the King Baby
    "Don't be fooled by others!" "killed by hype?"

- Unbaised Review

Storyline 9/10 - The one liners that made the previous Duke Nukem games so funny are back, it needs a little more of them, and the story is your over the top cliche american macho man, saving the world. But its represented in that humerous way that will win you over, you may even shed a few tears. (specially with the Holsom Twins RIP) :(

Level Design 10/10 - Some people say the level design is a bit bland, far from it, It borrows from the half-life franchise, on puzzles ,ect and the Rat size levels are just brilliant and funny, It may be copying but it works really well.

Multiplayer 6/10 - The multi-player is pretty sound, if your willing to over look the flaws, theres a server browser though it might as well be matchmaking since of the lag and lack of dedicated servers.
    Unbais 8.0/10 My opinion 9.5/10.
  83. Aug 20, 2011
    This game does not deserve all these zeroes. It is a good game with solid multi-player and single-player experiences. lots of hype ruined this game for many but to me the hype only made it better. humorous dialogue, good level design and solid game-play make this game a 10/10
  84. Nov 13, 2011
    Graphics: 5.5 - 8.5

Sound: 7

Gameplay: 7

Presentation: 7.5

Lasting appeal: 7

OVERALL: 7
    OK game but not great. Fun to play if you are a Duke fan
  85. Jan 2, 2012
    I don't understand why Duke Nukem Forever is being attacked the way it is. People don't understand what the game went through to be released, as it was trapped in "development hell" for a great deal of time. During the time between 1996-2011 at its release the game went through numerous developers, with the resulting developers being a collaboration of 3D Realms, Triptych Games, GearboxI don't understand why Duke Nukem Forever is being attacked the way it is. People don't understand what the game went through to be released, as it was trapped in "development hell" for a great deal of time. During the time between 1996-2011 at its release the game went through numerous developers, with the resulting developers being a collaboration of 3D Realms, Triptych Games, Gearbox Software and Piranha Games. Why so many? I'll tell you why: The development began with 3D Realms with the announce of the game in April of 1997. By 2009, after years of statements saying the game would be released when it was ready, 3D Realms was substantially downsized due to financial issues, and as was the development team for DNF. After a lawsuit was filed by the games publishing rights holder, Take-Two Interactive, and a large amount of political issues struck, it was announced that 14 years after the games announce, Gearbox Software took development, and would be released in 2011. During the development the project was scraped, and redone several times from the arrival of the Unreal Engine, the transferring to different teams, and nearly any development being done during the fiasco of the lawsuits. Pressure on Gearbox is what made the game what it became, as they were practically given an empty plate to work with, and had a brief period of time to create one of the most highly anticipated, and classic video game characters in the next generation of games. Now with the history lesson over I can move on to the review. Duke Nukem Forever is by no means a bad game as it is being rated. Essentially the game was created to give new breath to the extremely old franchise, and bring back the classic game play of old school shooters. The game was not made to be new and revolutionary once it was given to Gearbox Software, contrary to 3D Realms' claims. The game play of the game is nearly identical to a classic "run 'n gun" style, with basic puzzles and platforming to break up the constant action. As well as this there are sequences during the game that truly showcase the personality, and feel of Duke Nukem, being the beginning of the game, and during a level at a strip club. As for critics of the graphics, they clearly were not playing the game the way it was meant to be played. The game was created to run on the PC, and that is the only way to experience The Duke properly. On a decent gaming PC I found the graphics to be on par with most others, and did not experience any lacking of texture detail unlike the ported Xbox 360 version, which I also played to compare. In terms of graphics, they were better then I expected, and I expected nothing less then amazing. Every character model, while evolved much from their original design (to be expected being 15 years since the last FPS Duke Nukem), bring nostalgia of the good old days of The King. The sounds of the game are good, nothing amazing, but the voice of Duke Nukem is where this game shines. As with the way everyone expects a Duke Nukem game to be, there is a non-stop barrage of wise-cracking, very adult, one-liners that make Duke the character he is. Truly the best part of the game, and one of the most memorable parts of the game.
    The multiplayer to the game is rather bland, and nothing too addictive, but if you love Duke Nukem, you'll enjoy the multiplayer. Duke Nukem Forever is by no means a bad game, but by no means is it a must buy at full price. Being a fan of the original Duke Nukem games I wish I could allow bias love for the character to impact my review, but to be honest, and truthful I can't. If your a Duke Nukem fan this game is far above a 6 for you, and you'll end up playing the game several times like me. If you are not familiar with The Duke and looking for a game to jump into the franchise (well either your of age, and you were living under a rock for 25 years, or your too young to know of Duke Nukem 3D and shouldn't be paying an M-rated game) DNF is not the best game to jump into the franchise, and warrants a worse rating then a 6. The crude, and rude humour of DNF is what gives the game it's feel so the sensitive individuals should not play this game either. Overall a prime example of Duke Nukem on the modern console. A great throwback to the old days alongside Doom, and Quake. As a huge Nukem fan I can't wait for the next one. Hail to the King, baby! Step on up, and get some!
  86. Apr 14, 2012
    La mayor parte del tiempo no me aburri para nada. Pense que por la calificacion iva a ser una mala compra mia pero al jugar por un buen rato pense todo lo contrario. Me han dicho que se quejan mucho por los graficos (ultimamente a la mayoria les importa unicamente los graficos que lo demas), verdaderamente es una estupidez que digan eso, a los juegos se los valoran por el entretenimientoLa mayor parte del tiempo no me aburri para nada. Pense que por la calificacion iva a ser una mala compra mia pero al jugar por un buen rato pense todo lo contrario. Me han dicho que se quejan mucho por los graficos (ultimamente a la mayoria les importa unicamente los graficos que lo demas), verdaderamente es una estupidez que digan eso, a los juegos se los valoran por el entretenimiento que ofrecen. Expand
  87. Sep 25, 2012
    Some bad trolling and snobbery on Metacritic, this game was ok it didn't deserve the thrashing it got, its not a great game ....but 54? Come on guys you're trolling now. It's streamlined to hell like most other console FPS shooters these days and i pretty much just moved forward and pressed fire the whole game to win it....But thats how most of these new shiny wrapper no content games areSome bad trolling and snobbery on Metacritic, this game was ok it didn't deserve the thrashing it got, its not a great game ....but 54? Come on guys you're trolling now. It's streamlined to hell like most other console FPS shooters these days and i pretty much just moved forward and pressed fire the whole game to win it....But thats how most of these new shiny wrapper no content games are now....why pick on Duke lol, the rest are just as bad. I can't play FPS games much anymore its like my brain starts to devolve back to a primal state they are so dumbed down and simple, atleast Duke has breasts to keep my attention...and well another complaint the game was too short, another casualty of the new age of bimbo games, the original had 3 chapters all larger than the whole single player campaign it its entirety.
    But like i said it deserves better than 54...thats just trololol. Same for Mass Effect3 it got destroyed by the fans for some minor faults...tbh i just think some people are NEVER satisfied or impartial.
  88. Jul 16, 2012
    So, no...it wasn't worth the wait. It has a very old school vibe to it all, but you know what? It was a hell of a lot of fun. There are some broken bits here and there, some levels look really nice and some not so great, but the sense of fun and solid game play add up to a lot of fun. I finished it on Hard and played with NVIDIA 3D and I had a great time. There is some really niceSo, no...it wasn't worth the wait. It has a very old school vibe to it all, but you know what? It was a hell of a lot of fun. There are some broken bits here and there, some levels look really nice and some not so great, but the sense of fun and solid game play add up to a lot of fun. I finished it on Hard and played with NVIDIA 3D and I had a great time. There is some really nice puzzle aspects and platform aspects that are missing from most modern shooters that harken back to an age where games tried to kick your ass and didn't hold your hand.
    The games biggest fault is a lack of consistency to the quality which is likely the result of so many hands in the development. I picked it up on the cheap, so that certainly factors in to the expectations, but I think people who previously enjoyed Duke games will enjoy Duke Nuken Forever and new players will certainly have a fun time. Props to everyone involved that got this to market. I look forward to more adventure with Duke as long as I don't have to wait more than another decade.
  89. Jun 27, 2011
    The reviewers have just taken cheap shots against an easy target. It's a barrel of fun, loads of variety, within an hour of play you will have done all sorts of novel things (avoiding spoilers ya see), it's fast and furious and full of entertainment. It's loads of larffs and way more interesting than another crushingly dull, self important CoD clone. Buy it, it's a gas. It's not theThe reviewers have just taken cheap shots against an easy target. It's a barrel of fun, loads of variety, within an hour of play you will have done all sorts of novel things (avoiding spoilers ya see), it's fast and furious and full of entertainment. It's loads of larffs and way more interesting than another crushingly dull, self important CoD clone. Buy it, it's a gas. It's not the best game ever, but the reviews are just wrong Expand
  90. Dec 22, 2011
    Awesome game, very good graphics, and very humorist, definitely buy this game that is the sequel to the classic game Duke Nukem. AWESOME GAME, DUKE NUKEM FOREVER
  91. Jul 4, 2011
    I've been watching for this game since 1998 when the first trailer came out, loved Duke3d which I replayed over and over and still play from time to time even now.

When I finished DNF my first thought was "is that it", Gearbox promised around 20+ hours of gameplay when they first took over, many will finish this in 9 to 10 hours. Took me 12 but I do tend to dawdle around. Graphics

Graphics are basic but they will play on a low end system.
    gameplay is basic but could be fun if your new to FPS shooters.

My main gripes are,
    Load times every few minutes. Most FPS games at least allow you to finish a level before the load screen.

"2 weapon limit, makes the freeze gun and shrink ray pointless since you have to keep hold of weapons that are reliable.

I love t1ts as much as the next man but this game is supposed to be an 18 not a 12 cert for wanking prepubesants. Is this what Duke has been lowered to: searching for **** and f***ng pocorn. ffs

no story

boring

I couldn't wait to get Bioshock 2 loaded back up which , thankfully, I had put on hold to play DNF. At least I had a good proper fps game to look forward to.

As i mentioned at the start, Duke3d got huge play time, DNF will never be played again and I can;'t even sell the sh1t on because of steam account.

If I read one more post of someone saying " ooh arn't Gearbox so ace for taking up the mantle and actually getting Duke out here" I think i'll scream. No they are not great they are a bunch of greedy barstewards who saw a quick buck from a huge character that millions of devoted fans have been awaiting for years and years, **** ot not they were always going to make a shed load.

Reminds me of the Sex Pistols...."ever felt you've been had". The Great Video Game Swindle"
  92. Jun 22, 2011
    I played the full game and had fun mostly all along the way. The PC version works well and has decent graphics. It's enjoyable and something just plain fun. I gave an 8 because the numerous harsh critics really don't do justice to this game. Does it have the nicest graphics and the sharpest looking levels? No. Will you have fun with it? Yes. If you set aside the fact that 3d realms screwI played the full game and had fun mostly all along the way. The PC version works well and has decent graphics. It's enjoyable and something just plain fun. I gave an 8 because the numerous harsh critics really don't do justice to this game. Does it have the nicest graphics and the sharpest looking levels? No. Will you have fun with it? Yes. If you set aside the fact that 3d realms screw over for 14 years, scores below 5-6 range are just not deserved. Expand
  93. Nov 20, 2011
    This game gets too much hate. You still have to think of the FPS's getting pumped out each year and getting 9.0+ from critics, even though they are the same thing. This game may be repetitive and not revolutionary in any way, but it least it tries to stray away from the generic shooting experience in today's games.
  94. Jun 17, 2011
    The game that made without nothing special,it just like remake version of Duke Nukem 3D.
    A disappointed game ever made,even PREY game did make it without sacrificed more than 12 years.
    The pop-up graphics are annoying for me,and the animation is poor.....but whatever,still gameplay is still good enough for someone who like Old-Skool games. The story is boring with full of sex and **** I
    The story is boring with full of sex and ****
    I don`t know why ppl are so excited to play this game....i don`t get it.
  95. Aug 23, 2011
    I like this game a lot and I just don't understand people and critics who are giving negative reviews. OK you have some dated graphics and and a few flaws in level design, but that isn't enough to give this game a bad score. I laughed my ass off dozens of time while playing this game and I had more fun playing DNF than any COD MF game and it's clones. It's all about the fun, right? I alsoI like this game a lot and I just don't understand people and critics who are giving negative reviews. OK you have some dated graphics and and a few flaws in level design, but that isn't enough to give this game a bad score. I laughed my ass off dozens of time while playing this game and I had more fun playing DNF than any COD MF game and it's clones. It's all about the fun, right? I also find mini games amusing and I spent a lot of time playing them. Maybe this game isn't top notch quality, but much worse games are getting better scores (dragon age 2 *rollseyes*) and considering that scale this game definitely deserves better treatment. Expand
  96. Jun 25, 2011
    I remember growing up during the 1990s where video games were becoming popular again. I remember when Duke Nukem 3D shareware came out, and ever since the shareware came out, I wanted to play Duke Nukem 3D. I was totally amazed by the game. Eventually I started hearing about Duke Nukem Forever. I was excited for the new game, but I kept hearing that the game would be delayed for furtherI remember growing up during the 1990s where video games were becoming popular again. I remember when Duke Nukem 3D shareware came out, and ever since the shareware came out, I wanted to play Duke Nukem 3D. I was totally amazed by the game. Eventually I started hearing about Duke Nukem Forever. I was excited for the new game, but I kept hearing that the game would be delayed for further notice. So, over the years I started to forget about the game and felt like it would never come out. However, I was wrong. When Duke Nukem Forever demo came out, I was excited but disappointed. However, I only thought to myself this is only a demo and not the full game. When the full game out, I played a little on the PS3. I loved it, but I didn't like the controls for it, but when I got it for the PC, I was very happy with the game. This game totally takes me back to the 1990s. This game does remind me of Duke Nukem 3D, but however it is missing something. The multiplayer was a disappointment because I remember Duke Nukem 3D had more levels to play with when playing online. I do miss the space levels from Duke Nukem 3D, and I wish they were on the 4th one. I can only think the Hive was a replacement of space levels, but who knows? Other than that, I love the gameplay of this game because you can interact with your environment, such as playing slots or air hockey with someone. The parodies are funny, but not as funny as the 3rd one. All and all, this is a good old fashion game with some new things to bring to the table for Duke Nukem. That is why I give this game a 9 on a 1 to 10 scale. Expand
  97. Dec 1, 2011
    Male chauvinists COME ON DOWN! Duke Nukem has given me some obnoxiously fun gaming that I haven't had in quite some time (except maybe insurance fraud in Saints Row 2). I was laughing throughout the entire campaign. It's a non-stop parody of greatness. It's hard to describe how many games and movies were spoofed on, but the obvious one is Half-Life 2. There's pieces of Alien and Matrix,Male chauvinists COME ON DOWN! Duke Nukem has given me some obnoxiously fun gaming that I haven't had in quite some time (except maybe insurance fraud in Saints Row 2). I was laughing throughout the entire campaign. It's a non-stop parody of greatness. It's hard to describe how many games and movies were spoofed on, but the obvious one is Half-Life 2. There's pieces of Alien and Matrix, plus Schwarzenegger movies. The one-liners are delivered to perfection--creative, witty, and absolutely vulgar in every way. This game must have annoyed the hell out of the early reviewers because a 30 metascore out of the gate is just unwarranted. Now it's up to 54...better, but give me a break. No where near as bad as those vaginas make it out to be. Seriously, this game must have been reviewed by feminists, homosexuals, or just plain **** that can't handle some **** in their face. And yes--lots of boobie action to be had here. An epic knockout. Duke Nukem Forever delivers. Highly enjoyable. Expand
  98. Jul 22, 2011
    This is one game that shows it went through an immense amount of polish. All the flaws that the negative reviews states I think I can amount to a short attention span. People keep saying that the pace was too slow, I guess you can go play some mindless COD if you want fast pace, but I for one spent hours and hours just playing the numerous minigames and loving every minute

Don't expect

Don't expect magic pixie dust flying from your bunghole after playing, but its still awesome and well-worth your time.
  99. Jul 31, 2011
    Basically there is nothing good in this game. Yes, you start it and will love it; it's the duke! After about 15 minutes most normal people will find their dreams and expectations shattered. Nothing can live up to almost 1 1/2 Decades of hype and expectations building up, but all i wanted was a good contemporary shooter, and it failed to deliver. The graphics are medieval, and it stillBasically there is nothing good in this game. Yes, you start it and will love it; it's the duke! After about 15 minutes most normal people will find their dreams and expectations shattered. Nothing can live up to almost 1 1/2 Decades of hype and expectations building up, but all i wanted was a good contemporary shooter, and it failed to deliver. The graphics are medieval, and it still manages to have frame rate drops on a modern system. The story is flat, boring, humorless and plain simple stupid. It basically brings nothing new to the table, nothing that hasn't been seen before; there is no shame in "borrowing" ideas, the best also do it, but doing it badly is a huge nono, and that's basically everything that was done here, old bad ideas made worse and mushed into the rough shape of a game. Just as this review it got tons of useless filler. Did i mention it looks medieval? The only good thing is the dukes voice. Get Manhatten Project instead if you want some duke, it just costs a fraction of DNF, it's much more fun, and lasts a lot longer. Expand
  100. Jul 6, 2011
    Not sure what everyone expected, but for me it was most of what I wanted. A throwback to the good ole days, Duke witticisms, a clear Mature sensibility with tongue firmly held in cheek. A fun though slightly linear story with lots of nods to pop culture (I laughed at the Inception reference in the breakroom in the strip bar. Multiplayer is fast and insame and the perk system with theNot sure what everyone expected, but for me it was most of what I wanted. A throwback to the good ole days, Duke witticisms, a clear Mature sensibility with tongue firmly held in cheek. A fun though slightly linear story with lots of nods to pop culture (I laughed at the Inception reference in the breakroom in the strip bar. Multiplayer is fast and insame and the perk system with the babes and the digs is outstanding. Improvements - more babes, level building tools, more multi-player maps, and more Duke remarks. Expand

1. Sep 12, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever would be quite decent if one felt entirely certain it's intended purely as a self-parody. As is, it doesn't do the expectations, the buyer or the Duke justice – oh, had he rather remained a vaporware legend!
  2. Aug 6, 2011
    Petty, nasty and anachronistic. Duke is only relevant as a warning from the past. Avoid these mistakes, developers. [Aug 2011, p.76]
  3. Aug 1, 2011
    Bottom line: Duke Nukem Forever was not worth the 15-year wait, nor is it worth paying the full $50. However, I cannot deny that I thought it was both fun and funny, which at the end of the day is what this franchise is all about.