5.7

1. Jun 20, 2011
    Occasionally fun with its moments, but overall rather boring of a forgetful nature. Pacing is uneven with certain combat segments harder than even the hardest bosses. The beginning of the game was rather uninteresting but was soon developed into something better, until it fell flat down again after a boss fight which ended that 'chapter' of the game (which sadly was only about 20% of theOccasionally fun with its moments, but overall rather boring of a forgetful nature. Pacing is uneven with certain combat segments harder than even the hardest bosses. The beginning of the game was rather uninteresting but was soon developed into something better, until it fell flat down again after a boss fight which ended that 'chapter' of the game (which sadly was only about 20% of the whole game). The rest of the game was a boring and below-medicore shooter experience with a few mini-games stuffed within. When the mini-games in a shooter is more fun than the actual shooting and the rest of the game something is really wrong. Expand
  2. Sep 16, 2011
    We waited for and dreamed about this game for 15 years and all we got is a bunch of carp. Dated graphics, terrible voice-acting and a bad unfunny script. Thank a bunch gearbox!
  3. Jun 17, 2011
    The shooting mechanic feels so dated. While this might be a "retro" design ideat o remind players of the original, it actually serves to remind me why we have moved the FPS genre on and why no other game these days uses such a dated and dull combat model.
    The final nail is the absurd level of scripting. Every game no matter how "sandbox" needs some level of "author intervention" - but 'Forever might as well be a ride on a push cart shooting at "stuff" as you pass.
    Graphically it's more 2006 than 2011, Gameplay 1998 .

It's not terrible. I give it 4 which just on the "down" side of average. If I was a massive Duke fan I might have liked it it, I'm not, so after playing 8 hours I've uninstalled it put the box with my old games collection in the attic.

See ya Nuke. Probably better I remembered you for the fun you gave me in the 90's rather than this below average remake.
  4. Aug 24, 2011
    Despite some a couple good parts, the poorly-designed (and woefully linear) levels, uninspired weapons, shoddy AI, and just general sloppiness of the game keep it from being anything more than a curiosity. It's not as abysmally bad as some of the reviewers have made it out to be, but it's still a rental a best. Oh, and don't listen to anyone who says this is a throwback to the 90's -- thisDespite some a couple good parts, the poorly-designed (and woefully linear) levels, uninspired weapons, shoddy AI, and just general sloppiness of the game keep it from being anything more than a curiosity. It's not as abysmally bad as some of the reviewers have made it out to be, but it's still a rental a best. Oh, and don't listen to anyone who says this is a throwback to the 90's -- this game makes use of every modern FPS contrivance, and does so poorly. Expand
  5. Jun 14, 2011
    A definite letdown. The game feels unfinished and most of the gameplay mechanics are just horribly dated. It doesn't seem worth the wait but the main problem is that it just feels out of place now. If you're after an example of old school gaming done right then go and play something like Bulletstorm, but as it is, this game just doesn't hold it's own and as a standalone title, it'sA definite letdown. The game feels unfinished and most of the gameplay mechanics are just horribly dated. It doesn't seem worth the wait but the main problem is that it just feels out of place now. If you're after an example of old school gaming done right then go and play something like Bulletstorm, but as it is, this game just doesn't hold it's own and as a standalone title, it's borderline rubbish. Expand
  6. Jun 14, 2011
    Gameplay
    Gameplay is far away from 'classic' as we know it from Duke Nukem 3d,but it isn't like a modern game's either.
    Duke's health (ego) auto regenerates,but that doesn't make the game easier at all. The game uses a "trial and error" unforgiving system,and you are going to loose lots of lives because you didn't guessed correctly what will happen next. The game demands from you to do
    Gameplay
    The game demands from you to do what you must do very accurately,and what exactly you have to do is something you will discover yourself after dying numerous times and trying anything your mind can imagine.
    Some aliens can kill you with a single hit,or two in most cases,and when the game throws 4 to 5 of them on you suddenly and they come from places you've already been before and you didn't so anybody,or it might just spawn them right next to you,having you flanked and surrounded,and then dying.
    The game will be throwing hordes of monsters again and again,and there will be times the next wave of aliens will come before your ego replenishes from the last fight.
    There will be times you will die by a single hit,from an enemy not even visible on the screen.
    There is a 1 weapon limit,and it's bad not only because it doesn't fit Duke's character,but also because it doesn't fit the rest of the gameplay.
    There will be times like this:
    * You have two weapons with ya,the ones ideal for the situation on the level you are in to.
    *Suddenly and unexpectedly your screen goes black and you go to next level.
    *You find a room full of enemies that you weren't prepared to fight,because you doesn't have the ideal weapons for them.
    *You search around to find an ideal weapon,and there are no weapons at all before that room.
    *You exit the game,and re-load the level you completed some moments ago so you will exit it with the right guns this time.
    Playing DNF's campaign is going to get you frustrated and furious,and if you ever broke gamepads or keyboards while playing a game,I assure you that DNF isn't for you.
    The game's interactivity doesn't excite.
    There is less interactivity in DNF than in DN3D that came 14 years ago,and somebody would expect that a game 14 years later would have at least the same amount of interactivity if not more.
    But it's not like that.
    In DN3D you would shoot the toilets,and water would come out from the pipes,but not on DNF.
    In DN3D you would shoot the pipes and natural gas would come out,but not on DNF.
    In DN3D you would shoot a cash machine and money would pop out,but not in DNF.
    The list could go on,but I guess you got my point.
    Level design is linear on all levels,and there is only one route to go.
    You won't get lost as you did on DN3D's complex levels.
    In DNF there aren't secret rooms or entire secret levels either,and that limits replay value and vanishes the exploration feeling and factor that was dominant on DN3D.
    If you try to explore around,the game will punish you with invisible walls.
    There are many invisible walls and the developers could just remove them and let us go on some places,or place physical hurdles,to make it at least reasonable.
    There are too many QTE's and you will have to mash the buttons on your keyboard or controller as fast as you can,but they appear with such a frequency they get annoying IMHO.
    There isn't variety on the game's puzzles.
    You will have to redo the same the same type of puzzles again and again at different levels,and the most common is the barrel type.This puzzle requires you to look around to find all the barrels and then place them to the right spot.
    That's it. Repeat on next level.And on the one after.And again later.
    Duke Nukem Forever is a game that won't keep you interested enough to finish it because of its story or its gameplay,but because of stubborness.
    You have to be very patient and stubborn to keep playing it to the finish and tolerate its bad story,bad graphics,and its punitive gameplay.
    Most likely it's a game won't play again after you finish it once,if you ever finish it.

Last Words
    Duke Nukem Forever was one of my most anticipated games for years.
    There have been many promises,even more speculation and even more wait,that lead to very high expectations and too much hype.
    When the game finally released,it wasn't "The best game of all time" as 3D Realms once promised,but instead it didn't even catch up with its predecessor,and DNF fell much lower.
    Lots of wrong design decisions,abstract and uncompleted ideas,and bad execution make this game not good enough to stand along the rest of the series. It made me believe that it would be better if it would never come out,so we could all stay with memories of a game that would be the best game of all time,even if we could never play it.
  7. Jun 15, 2011
    this game have humor and.......i cant of think anything else. This game is TOP 1 candidate on biggest disapointment of 2011. DONT BUY THIS, ITS WASTE OF MONEY better get drunk or buy your girlfriend something nice...
  8. Jun 15, 2011
    A game that takes everything PC gamers hate in modern day FPS.

Let me put this out there first. Everyone has their opinion. I'm an old school gamer, before games had to be dumbed and watered down to cater to the new wave of idiotic gamers. Gameplay: First and foremost, Duke Nukem was never a complicated game. It was simple. Matter of fact all there was, was getting keycards, pushing some
    A game that takes everything PC gamers hate in modern day FPS.

Gameplay: First and foremost, Duke Nukem was never a complicated game. It was simple. Matter of fact all there was, was getting keycards, pushing some buttons to open a door, and killing bad guys. The story was barely there other than Duke was pissed about aliens invading. Sounds simple doesn't it? Ya Gearbox actually managed to botch this up.

The happened to include everything PC gamers hate in modern day FPS. Small corridors, health regen that activates too quick, 2 gun carry limit....seriously? They got the butt kicking right, just aim and start shooting, but it ends there. You're lead through corridors and hall ways with no freedom to even jump on top of slot machine. The first half of the game is introducing all these retarded mini games that you're forced to sit through. God forbid they let you do what Duke does best. No lets make you constantly write on stuff like people actually care.

Once you get through these hallways you're locked in a non stop enemy spawning room where you run in circles shooting bad guys till they stop spawning and you can go open up a door that just happens to be unlocked now. Rinse and repeat. If your health is low screw it, just go sit behind cover for 5 seconds Graphics: I think they're fine for the most part. I'm not much of a graphics whore. I still play old games because they were fun, not because of the gfx. Sadly the gameplay made the gfx the only good thing about the game and even then..they were only mediocre.

Sound: Voice acting was the only good thing about the game. It felt in place but sadly the sound is locked to 2 channel. You'll have to find your own way to get it on surround sound.

Everything else: You can tell the game was made for consoles. The controls are garbage. Mouse is unnatural. The game even smells of the fact you can tell they were trying to cash in on the Duke Nukem name and that'd gain them instant glorification. All those loved cheesy Duke lines were way over used in just about every scene possible and every possible moment.

Bottom line? It's a basic console shooter. Nothing more. Just happens to have the Duke name on it which sadly this sort of game is already all over the place and sorry to say, I liked Call of Duty better....and I absolutely detest that series.
  9. Jun 15, 2011
    Over a decade in development and it's full of JUMPING PUZZLES?! What were they thinking? This is not Duke, this is an awful POS console shooter. Junk. I'll go back to playing DN3D HRP before I play much more of this steaming pile.
  10. Jun 16, 2011
    Tenía claro que el juego no iba a dar más que lo que realmente ha dado. Es muy triste, pero hubiese preferido que nunca hubiese llegado y mantener el romanticismo por un Duke que nunca llegaba. Porque ahora que ha llegado, lo ha hecho así... El gran Duke no se merecía esto.
  11. Jul 7, 2011
    Its should be no surprise to anyone why bad/mediocre games exist- not every video game company knows, understands or has the facilities to make their games good, but what is surprising is that people actually like, are entertained by, and sometimes prefer crappy mediocre video games. Whatever happened (or failed to happen) at 3D Realms during the development of Duke Nukem is an amazingIts should be no surprise to anyone why bad/mediocre games exist- not every video game company knows, understands or has the facilities to make their games good, but what is surprising is that people actually like, are entertained by, and sometimes prefer crappy mediocre video games. Whatever happened (or failed to happen) at 3D Realms during the development of Duke Nukem is an amazing lessons for us all, especially the video game industry. It teaches us above anything else how challenging and difficult making a good games is, that its much much easier to fail while making a game rather then succeed and that we should cherish every game that does work well. In the end DNF is mediocre at best. Its dated, lacks much charm, the graphics are bland to crapish, the female human models are atrocious, the humour at first is kinda ok then drifts to lame and the gameplay grow tired fairly quickly. DNF does exist, it is playable, but that doesnâ Expand
  12. Jun 25, 2011
    An awful game. It's so bad, I gave up half-way through and deleted it. I loved playing the original Duke Nukem games in the 80's and 90's, but this new version disappoints. They keep saying this game took 12 years to release, and it shows. The graphics are dated and the game play is clunky and awkward. I wish I could get my money back!
  13. Jul 6, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever failed to take me back to Duke Nukem 3D, even though it promised to do so. The lack of map exploration, no destructable environment and gimmicks, the poorly designed end-bosses and the fact that the game isn't difficult, just frustrating makes this one of the biggest let downs in gaming history. The 3D interpretations of D3D's weapons and enemies are exceptionally wellDuke Nukem Forever failed to take me back to Duke Nukem 3D, even though it promised to do so. The lack of map exploration, no destructable environment and gimmicks, the poorly designed end-bosses and the fact that the game isn't difficult, just frustrating makes this one of the biggest let downs in gaming history. The 3D interpretations of D3D's weapons and enemies are exceptionally well done but can't make up for the dull, uninspiring and long-winded on-rails shoot 'm up that the developer forces both the player and Duke into. Expand
  14. Jul 3, 2011
    Duke is a lot like Gordon, he looses his breath after running for 5 seconds, has to run and hide like a wimp every time something happens, and can't seem to figure out how to jump over a 3 foot fence at times (crappy level design) even though the whole world is depending on him. The game is very similar to HL2 except this one has boobs/chicks, cursing and better art. Very similar gameDuke is a lot like Gordon, he looses his breath after running for 5 seconds, has to run and hide like a wimp every time something happens, and can't seem to figure out how to jump over a 3 foot fence at times (crappy level design) even though the whole world is depending on him. The game is very similar to HL2 except this one has boobs/chicks, cursing and better art. Very similar game play...It's all the same hand holding crap, useless cut scenes you can't skip, lame boring puzzles, long loading screens and short levels with crappy scripted AI trying to force you into a choke point. The differences are the weapons are actually cool but you can only carry a few which is what sucks more then anything in most games made after 2005. The game is boring just like HL2 was so if you liked HL2 you might like this game... at least your not suck with a mute. Expand
  15. Jul 11, 2011
    The game has outdated graphics and gameplay mechanisms, and is extremely buggy, and is unable to support more then three enemies on a screen at a time. But the game does mix itself up by having severals interacting throughout it, but the puzzles get repetive and are fairly clich'e. But it's not the worst game, but is only good for rent, do not buy it.
  16. Sep 25, 2011
    This game is not a bad game. It is a terrible game that should not have the name Duke Nukem on it AT ALL. It does not live up to Duke Nukem 3D at all because it has been influenced by Call of Duty and other franchises. For instance, you can only hold 2 weapons at a time. In DN3D you could hold every weapon in the game. Also, your health regenerates. I have hated this since I first playedThis game is not a bad game. It is a terrible game that should not have the name Duke Nukem on it AT ALL. It does not live up to Duke Nukem 3D at all because it has been influenced by Call of Duty and other franchises. For instance, you can only hold 2 weapons at a time. In DN3D you could hold every weapon in the game. Also, your health regenerates. I have hated this since I first played Halo 2 and I will hate it 'till I die. This makes the game a lot easier for those dumb teenagers on their Xboxes and makes it a lot more boring for people who are good at games and don't throw a fit when they die. And, there is the linear level design. This is my #1 gripe with this COD rip-off. In DN3D it took me 2 days to fully get through a single level. There were secret places and Easter eggs that you had to LOOK for to find (like the Doom reference or the 2001, a Space Odyssey reference). Also the graphics were sub-standard. I usually don't rate games on how they look but when a game sucks you can at least look at the world in DX11 detail. Expand
  17. Jul 24, 2012
    you can actually tell what game was popular at the time a given section of this game was designed because of how transparently it tries to rip it off, only to abandon that a few minutes later for a different game. The PC port is buggy and I experienced constant freezing, the single player is a lot less intense while limited to only two weapons at a time, and even the multiplayer is ayou can actually tell what game was popular at the time a given section of this game was designed because of how transparently it tries to rip it off, only to abandon that a few minutes later for a different game. The PC port is buggy and I experienced constant freezing, the single player is a lot less intense while limited to only two weapons at a time, and even the multiplayer is a mediocre experience, which is not something you'd expect from a multiplayer game with shrink rays, freezing guns, and rocket launchers. Expand
  18. Nov 21, 2011
    The graphics are terrible, but worst, the character animations are just too poor. Try jumping in front of a mirror and you will see a brick going up and down. Besides that, the game is too linear, the monster AI is terrible and allowing you to carry such a small quantity of equipment removes the feeling of being playing with a badass character as Duke. This game is totally dispensable inThe graphics are terrible, but worst, the character animations are just too poor. Try jumping in front of a mirror and you will see a brick going up and down. Besides that, the game is too linear, the monster AI is terrible and allowing you to carry such a small quantity of equipment removes the feeling of being playing with a badass character as Duke. This game is totally dispensable in any collection, because it doesn't bring anything new to the genre. Imagine that it doesn't have the name Duke on it, would you buy it anyway? Expand
  19. Nov 29, 2011
    The gameplay is dull and the Storyline is cliché Although i find this game quite humorous from time to time if you have played it you tend to see that this game doesn't take itself too seriously but even then that does not make the game. I would only recommend that you get this game if its on some sale for Steam.
  20. Dec 10, 2011
    I'm a simple gamer. A good game does not depend upon high end graphics or cutting edge tech... if just has to be fun! When it came to Duke Nukem Forever, although I never played the original, I so wanted to like this game. I don't know what it is about this game... but it fell SOOOO flat with me. I find it hard to find anything positive to say about it. I love FPS and even the worstI'm a simple gamer. A good game does not depend upon high end graphics or cutting edge tech... if just has to be fun! When it came to Duke Nukem Forever, although I never played the original, I so wanted to like this game. I don't know what it is about this game... but it fell SOOOO flat with me. I find it hard to find anything positive to say about it. I love FPS and even the worst FPS I will at least play all the way through. However with Duke Nukem, the moment I encountered the least amount of difficulty, I had no problem deleting the game off of my hard drive (and if this was part of the game, you could have expected Duke to make some sexual crack about his drive always being hard). Although the graphics themselves are not "bad" they feel very outdated in the way they unfold. I kept having to remind myself that the game was released in 2011 and not 2006. The NPC are nothing more than poorly scripted mannequins that don't even turn to speak to you. The puns, jokes, and boobs come straight out of the 6th grade boys bathroom (and even then lacking the sophistication of most 6th grade boys). I had read the bad reviews, but dismissed most of them as people with over expectations. Having never played the original, I was sure that people were just trying to make it what it WAS not what it is today. I kinda felt sorry for all the bad press the game had taken. Less than 2 months after its release I picked it up $9 in the bargain bin and thought that it would be good for at least a laugh... alas the reviews were right, and I still over paid. Expand
  21. Nov 24, 2013
    This is an example that not only humor, graphics and some hot women model is the only important in a Duke Nukem Game, I bet the cancelled 2001 game would be better than this one.
  22. Sep 28, 2012
    I came in expecting nothing, having never played the original doom. Let me start off by saying that the game is definitely "badass,' the GUI is interesting and looks great. But the gameplay? It reminds me of the programming work that Infinity Ward put into MW3. They obviously didn't put any good development into this game, it feels rushed. I don't enjoy it, although I enjoyed the first DLCI came in expecting nothing, having never played the original doom. Let me start off by saying that the game is definitely "badass,' the GUI is interesting and looks great. But the gameplay? It reminds me of the programming work that Infinity Ward put into MW3. They obviously didn't put any good development into this game, it feels rushed. I don't enjoy it, although I enjoyed the first DLC (Black Ops themed) It has some humor, although some of it gets bland after some time.
    The great thing though, my 8 year old nephew enjoys this game. Money well spent! $10.00 from summer sale.
  23. May 6, 2014
    This game is very bare bones. Don't know what took the developers so long, but it doesn't even seem like a game that took really long to develop. Graphics are mediocre, jokes are bad. Duke Nukem has never been less bad ass. Plot was also incredibly unreasonable, and what is up with the really bad references to other video games?
  24. Aug 5, 2014
    How could this happen? Duke, what have you done to us? It's not a terrible game, I played through it an meh, it was playable, but it should have never happened in the first place. I understand the hell of a development cycle this game must have gone through over the years, so I guess it's understandable, but it's a pity. Duke Nukem 3D was one of the best, if not THE best FPS ever and DukeHow could this happen? Duke, what have you done to us? It's not a terrible game, I played through it an meh, it was playable, but it should have never happened in the first place. I understand the hell of a development cycle this game must have gone through over the years, so I guess it's understandable, but it's a pity. Duke Nukem 3D was one of the best, if not THE best FPS ever and Duke deserved more. This was quite embarrassing, 4/10 Expand
  25. Apr 30, 2015
    I really wanted Duke Nukem But this game is a piece of **** don't **** buy this **** game this really ruined the Duke franchise I don't know who to blame 3D realms Piranha Games or Gearbox Software all really good companies I don't know who **** up Duke but I hope some one see's the potential of duke nukem and makes a good game thanks for reading
  26. Fuz
    Jun 15, 2011
    Terrible.
    This is not Duke Nukem, it's a childish parody of it.
    The graphics are terrible, frequent and extremely slow loading times are unacceptable (especially with this graphics), the 2-weapon system is annoying, the maps are just small corridors, the FOV is an abomination, gunfights are boring, driving sections are annoying. The original Duke Nukem was a great game, and doesn't deserve
    Terrible.
    This is not Duke Nukem, it's a childish parody of it.
    The original Duke Nukem was a great game, and doesn't deserve a sequel so bad.
  27. Jun 21, 2011
    Been on the 3dR forums since '97, have the magazine in which DNF was revealed, still say that Duke3d is the greatest FPS ever made... but DNF is total crud. Seriously, the only reason to play it is just to see for yourself the abomination that it is. This is a nearly heart-breaking Duke Nukem catastrophe, I wish I could go back in time 14 years and tell myself to not wait for DNF and notBeen on the 3dR forums since '97, have the magazine in which DNF was revealed, still say that Duke3d is the greatest FPS ever made... but DNF is total crud. Seriously, the only reason to play it is just to see for yourself the abomination that it is. This is a nearly heart-breaking Duke Nukem catastrophe, I wish I could go back in time 14 years and tell myself to not wait for DNF and not waste attention on it because it's going to blow to the fullest possible extent. The only problem with that, though, is that I'd never believe my future self, as I had so much confidence in 3dR... and how could I not? Considering they made Duke3d, as well as releasing dozens of fantastic smaller games prior? How the mighty have fallen, and how greatly sad it is

Be warned, there is absolutely nothing old school about this game, not in the least, and especially nothing resembling Doom or Duke3d style shooting. This game is the exact opposite of Old School. DNF is slow moving, with slow movement speed, limited sprint ability, few enemies with combat that is spaced far apart, 2-weapon carry-limit with universal ammo crates, regenerating health, quicktime events, and wtih completely linear & boring level design.

Anybody who dares try to trick you into buying this game by suggesting it is old school in even the slightest manner is lying to you through their teeth or simply has convinced themselves of a lie to rationalize the 14 years they've wasted waiting for this game. DNF is no more old-school than it is a space-pony training RPG that takes place on Mt Olympus.
  28. Jul 13, 2012
    DNF may not be a bad game but it's really a bad duke nukem game. But still have to thank Gearbox for finishing this game although it's more of a nightmare. First, all the weapons feel like crap. None of the awesome weapons in the Duke Nukem 3d feel powerful in this game except railgun maybe. and you can only equip two weapons at a time. so most time you just have to run and gun like inDNF may not be a bad game but it's really a bad duke nukem game. But still have to thank Gearbox for finishing this game although it's more of a nightmare. First, all the weapons feel like crap. None of the awesome weapons in the Duke Nukem 3d feel powerful in this game except railgun maybe. and you can only equip two weapons at a time. so most time you just have to run and gun like in most generic FPS. I mean it just does not feel like Duke nukem at all. The level design is not good either. Most encounters feel like playing a standard call of duty game which I clearly do not like. The only thing they manage to keep the theme of Duke Nukem with cheesy jokes. Overall this game is fun a few hours but quickly fun factors just fade away then it became a mediocre modern FPS. 3 out of 10. Expand
  29. Jun 14, 2011
    This game was so disappointing, The original Duke Nukem was so much fun as it was original, humorous and to top it off was a great fun game to play. This thing fails on so many levels it is hard to know where to begin, The graphics are poor but that can be excused as you don't buy this game for the graphics. The game is incredibly linear, The humor dated and really just identical from theThis game was so disappointing, The original Duke Nukem was so much fun as it was original, humorous and to top it off was a great fun game to play. This thing fails on so many levels it is hard to know where to begin, The graphics are poor but that can be excused as you don't buy this game for the graphics. The game is incredibly linear, The humor dated and really just identical from the previous game 14 years ago, hell you don't even get to use any weapons till you have stumbled around in incredibly boring story line for 20-30 mins, To top it off the controls just seem clunky. Perhaps this is one sequel that really would have been better off left unmade. Expand
  30. Jun 22, 2011
    I think I, along with the most of us really wanted to like this game, but DNF proved to be a disappointment. The game is clunky, the game developers seemed to be confused on whether to add outdated mechanics or include newer mechanics, and they did add both, but not in a good way. The levels are bland and boring. The Art style does not stand out. Honestly, all around disappointment.
    I'm
    I'm sorry Duke, but not this time.
  31. Jun 17, 2011
    Whereas Duke Nukem 3D through us right in the action of it all, the latest installment is slow and miserable by comparison. Obviously Gear Box knew people would have a lot of patience, considering they waited over a decade for this title, so as a result they have brought you hours upon hours of pointless content including (But not limited to) walking, standing, spamming space-bar, orWhereas Duke Nukem 3D through us right in the action of it all, the latest installment is slow and miserable by comparison. Obviously Gear Box knew people would have a lot of patience, considering they waited over a decade for this title, so as a result they have brought you hours upon hours of pointless content including (But not limited to) walking, standing, spamming space-bar, or listening to horrible voice actors spout ****

The combat and the one liners (as rare as they may be) are perfect, essentially. Shoot bad guy, bad guy dies, you've got balls of steel. The regenerating health and 2-weapon limit are annoying -- but not enough to sour my day. What truly makes this game unbearable and horrible is how slow-paced it is. The game even includes a lot of very-fitting elevator music as you walk around, doing basically nothing. You'll often think "what am I doing? What's the point of this?" as you solve pointless puzzles that often involve pushing things, jumping on things, and finding things. It's BORING. Duke Nukem is a badass who solves his problems with guns and alcohol -- not logic.

In the end, even if you cream your pants over Duke's 1-liners, the game is not even remotely playable. If they only removed all the "filler" content and narrow the gameplay down to the 2 essential elements that made Duke Nukem 3D a great game, Duke Nukem Forever could have stood a chance. Those three things are: Killing Aliens and Badass One-Liners.
  32. Dec 7, 2013
    I expected a bit more from a remake of what use to be a good game. The weapon system is a bit jacked but the worst of it comes when you try to find your way around. I've been playing FPS since the 90's and although I do find myself lost from time to time... in duke nukem you'll be lost most of the time. Poor level design can really make for break a game.
  33. Jul 6, 2011
    The only redeeming quality of this game is the fact that it stars Duke Nukem. The game, stripped of previous expectations, can be considered an FPS with an identity crisis. What seems like a struggle for variety falls short and becomes a disjointed, inconsistent experience. There are a few enjoyable moments, but many more frustrating ones regarding the highly erratic difficulty spikes,The only redeeming quality of this game is the fact that it stars Duke Nukem. The game, stripped of previous expectations, can be considered an FPS with an identity crisis. What seems like a struggle for variety falls short and becomes a disjointed, inconsistent experience. There are a few enjoyable moments, but many more frustrating ones regarding the highly erratic difficulty spikes, unimaginative gameplay, and drab environments.

This game will most likely only be played so that one can say they played a "Duke Nukem" game. You can easily just pass on this game, and you will not miss out on anything.
  34. Jun 14, 2011
    The graphics are dire. Seriously dire. Modern ideas as to what constitutes good graphics have polluted the game (there is no colour that is not a shade of brown or black), and half of the game is played in the dark, meaning you need to use the crappy night vision which somehow makes the game look even worse, as well as giving you a headache. The draw distance and distance blur is extremelyThe graphics are dire. Seriously dire. Modern ideas as to what constitutes good graphics have polluted the game (there is no colour that is not a shade of brown or black), and half of the game is played in the dark, meaning you need to use the crappy night vision which somehow makes the game look even worse, as well as giving you a headache. The draw distance and distance blur is extremely short, so much so that it is often shorter than the range of some fire fights. Even on Ultra, this game looks like Doom III.

Gameplay is a horrible mishmash of ideas from the past and the present, and few of them play off well against each other. For some insane reason you can only carry two guns. Seriously Gearbox? Youâ
  35. Jun 24, 2011
    The problem with Duke Nukem Forever has less to do with the fact that it feels like a title from over ten years ago and more to do with the fact that it is full of poor design decisions, shoddy game mechanics, and tedious, unnecessary puzzles to pad the length of the game. Overall, the game suffers from a lack of suspense and challenge as it holds your hand and directs your gaze the wholeThe problem with Duke Nukem Forever has less to do with the fact that it feels like a title from over ten years ago and more to do with the fact that it is full of poor design decisions, shoddy game mechanics, and tedious, unnecessary puzzles to pad the length of the game. Overall, the game suffers from a lack of suspense and challenge as it holds your hand and directs your gaze the whole way through like a messed up tour. In terms of design, a couple things had me scratching my head. First, you can only carry two weapons at once rather than an arsenal of weapons. Instead of worrying about what two weapons you should take with you, the game litters areas with weapons for you ahead of mostly scripted events where you will need them. This may sound like a plus to some people, but a perhaps unintended consequence of this is a lack of freedom for the player in how to approach certain areas. Rather than forging a play style around a favored group of weapons or using certain weapons for certain enemies, the game essentially directs the player when to use what weapon for the given situation. In fact, most every enemy encounter amounts to Duke entering an area, waves of enemies entering from one point, and defeating wave after wave until some new scripted event occurs to allow the player to progress into the next area. Meanwhile, the game leaves plenty of weapons perfectly suited for the situation lying around for you to pick up at your leisure. Think of them as turret sections without the turret (and there are plenty of turret sections, too believe me). Even on hard, this presents absolutely no challenge - and most importantly, no fun. Another interesting decision was regenerating health. Your health meter, labeled "Ego," will regenerate after a few brief seconds (even on hard) often necessitating a quick duck into cover. It's ironic a meter labeled ego recharges through players avoiding conflict. Perhaps it should have been labeled "Cowardice" or "Anxiety." But once again, this sucks all the challenge out of the game since, even during what would otherwise be tense firefights, the health meter recharges almost instantly. One feature related to ego bar I did appreciate was that interacting with certain objects in the game world grants permanent bonuses to your maximum health. For example, lifting weights or admiring Duke's reflection will raise his maximum health bar a couple of points. A neat touch but that's all really. Level design is simply poor. It's cramped, and even the outdoor areas funnel you along a fixed path. There's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on with the engine to help mask lazy design and muddy textures. Puzzles abound and more often than not present players with tedious, uninteresting tasks. One example is toward the beginning of the game where Duke encounters a locked gate. The button will not work since it has no power. He has to climb a small trailer, jump in through a window, then turn a generator on. Once back at the gate, the player presses the button only to see the gate has jammed and is now glowing (as all objects do just in case you didn't know you could interact with it) to let the player know he can now mash space to force it open. Why didn't we just do that in the first place? I'd like to think that if this game came out ten years ago, it still would've been criticized as the overly scripted, restrictive, and uninteresting experience it is. The game doesn't feel completely dated, it feels like it's lacking a crucial element - fun. This game is for the die hards - the people who preordered this game twelve years ago and still have their receipts. Only obnoxiously loyal fans of Duke Nukem will be able to find this game entertaining. For the rest of us, it's better to just to move on. Expand
  36. Jun 15, 2011
    Borderlines on the unplayable... Fun is one thing it is not. It's buggy and not polished. You can expect poor frame rates, lame npc interactions, glitchy secondary game interfaces, and occasional lower back pain! Also, I found the game super easy on the hardest difficulty. Listen to the critics when they say this game is outdated. It's the polished hastle-free smootheness of the newerBorderlines on the unplayable... Fun is one thing it is not. It's buggy and not polished. You can expect poor frame rates, lame npc interactions, glitchy secondary game interfaces, and occasional lower back pain! Also, I found the game super easy on the hardest difficulty. Listen to the critics when they say this game is outdated. It's the polished hastle-free smootheness of the newer titles this game completely lacks. Wish I could get a refund... I hope they never make another duke. Expand
  37. Jun 19, 2011
    Well lets see. We wait patiently (for the most part) for this ass kicking in your face game where we can blow things up, kick some alien scum but and make lewd comments and play with some awesome weapons. What I didn't wait for or want to do is play a version of Myst with guns. Duke is about violence and explosions not solving puzzles to move on which this game seems to have a plethoraWell lets see. We wait patiently (for the most part) for this ass kicking in your face game where we can blow things up, kick some alien scum but and make lewd comments and play with some awesome weapons. What I didn't wait for or want to do is play a version of Myst with guns. Duke is about violence and explosions not solving puzzles to move on which this game seems to have a plethora of, if I wanted to play Leisure Suit Larry I would of reinstalled it. And don't even get me started on the lack of power or general use of the "weapon" The Ripper, I use the word "weapon" very lightly here as it takes up to 50 rounds to take down an enemy, the 911 is better suited for killing this this POS.

The environment is not well suited for a game that requires quick-ish movements and I found Duke getting hung up on debris that he should of easily stepped over. The game is also way to linear and the inability to backtrack to where you have been to get to spawn points for weapons is very annoying as well.

The other major pain is the amount of kick back on weapons or when you are hit by enemy fire. Don't get me wrong, its a nice feature to have as it adds some challenge to the game but shouldn't the damn aliens suffer from the same effect?

Am I also the only one that shoots the trapped women ASAP so you don't have to listen to their inane whining? I know I sure as hell did. I found all the women interaction annoying, surely they could of found better bimbo voice overs, Paris Hilton and Lyndsey Lohen sure could of used the work.

I love Duke3D, absolutely loved it. However my love for the history of Duke is not enough to say this is a classic or great game. I find myself giving it a 4 but then realized its onyl a 3.

Very very disappointing.
  38. Jul 2, 2011
    Don't waste your money, this game is seriously outdated, the game play is stodgy, the graphics are sub par, the maps are extremely boring, this game might have been cool if it was released 8 years ago, definitely a major step back compared to the original Duke Nukem, very disappointed.
  39. Jul 4, 2011
    I've been watching for this game since 1998 when the first trailer came out, loved Duke3d which I replayed over and over and still play from time to time even now.

When I finished DNF my first thought was "is that it", Gearbox promised around 20+ hours of gameplay when they first took over, many will finish this in 9 to 10 hours. Took me 12 but I do tend to dawdle around. Graphics

Graphics are basic but they will play on a low end system.
    gameplay is basic but could be fun if your new to FPS shooters.

My main gripes are,
    Load times every few minutes. Most FPS games at least allow you to finish a level before the load screen.

"2 weapon limit, makes the freeze gun and shrink ray pointless since you have to keep hold of weapons that are reliable.

I love t1ts as much as the next man but this game is supposed to be an 18 not a 12 cert for wanking prepubesants. Is this what Duke has been lowered to: searching for **** and f***ng pocorn. ffs

no story

boring

I couldn't wait to get Bioshock 2 loaded back up which , thankfully, I had put on hold to play DNF. At least I had a good proper fps game to look forward to.

As i mentioned at the start, Duke3d got huge play time, DNF will never be played again and I can;'t even sell the sh1t on because of steam account.

If I read one more post of someone saying " ooh arn't Gearbox so ace for taking up the mantle and actually getting Duke out here" I think i'll scream. No they are not great they are a bunch of greedy barstewards who saw a quick buck from a huge character that millions of devoted fans have been awaiting for years and years, **** ot not they were always going to make a shed load.

Reminds me of the Sex Pistols...."ever felt you've been had". The Great Video Game Swindle"
  40. Jul 20, 2011
    If this game was released when it should have been, it might have been good, but by today's standards it wasn't. I didn't find any of the jokes funny, I was pissed off at the fact I could only carry 2 weapons which was the shotgun and one other gun, since the shotgun is the only one that's any good that you can commonly find. I just wasn't having fun, and stopped playing within a couple ofIf this game was released when it should have been, it might have been good, but by today's standards it wasn't. I didn't find any of the jokes funny, I was pissed off at the fact I could only carry 2 weapons which was the shotgun and one other gun, since the shotgun is the only one that's any good that you can commonly find. I just wasn't having fun, and stopped playing within a couple of hours. It was boring. Expand
  41. Oct 5, 2011
    Tried the demo, was desperately disappointed. It feels out of date, the movement is clunky and, while the humour is still there in spades, I feel Duke was a game of its time. It should have been left alone and we would have had fond memories.
  42. Oct 22, 2011
    Overall very disappointing, some levels are good as is the level of interaction on them, but the good ones are scattered between lots and lots of other boring linear levels. The game play is old, clunky and uninspiring and check point saves..really? I couldn't wait for it to be over. Afterwards I looked at the screen shots/movies in the extra content menu, the game they were going toOverall very disappointing, some levels are good as is the level of interaction on them, but the good ones are scattered between lots and lots of other boring linear levels. The game play is old, clunky and uninspiring and check point saves..really? I couldn't wait for it to be over. Afterwards I looked at the screen shots/movies in the extra content menu, the game they were going to make looked awesome, its a shame they didn't stick to it. instead of just bolting loads of crap together a releasing it. They should have let Duke die rather than ripping his head off and **** in it ;) Expand
  43. Nov 6, 2011
    I'm a big fan of Duke3D,but this game.....Bad graphics,idiot story and characters,can't use all of the weapons(WTF!?),and I didn't feel that old,retro atmosphere.Multiplayer sucks,just sucks.The only thing which is not so bad is Duke's character,he is OK with his outdated one liners.Don't buy it,only cause pain.
  44. Nov 11, 2011
    This game was for me a very big letdown, expected more from the king of kings. The game is way to linear, even duke nukem 3d were less linear and often had more then one way to get to the end of the level and alot of fun to find secrets. If you havent played it yet but loved Duke nukem 3d my recomendation is dont play it, let the king live for every in your memory.
  45. Feb 9, 2012
    This is in no way a good game, but how bad it is depends a lot on how you judge a game. If you think a game should only be judged by the gameplay itself, its now HORRIBLE, just run of the mill bad. But if you judge it on its development time, numerous delays, overhype, lackluster humor, dated graphics and most of all outright ruining of the character, than its one of the worst games of theThis is in no way a good game, but how bad it is depends a lot on how you judge a game. If you think a game should only be judged by the gameplay itself, its now HORRIBLE, just run of the mill bad. But if you judge it on its development time, numerous delays, overhype, lackluster humor, dated graphics and most of all outright ruining of the character, than its one of the worst games of the year. I judge on more of a mix between, I will admit I have seen worse when it comes to game mechanics, but the 13 year development time, the graphics and aesthetics and the self righteousness of the game make it so I can't help but call it the 2nd worst game of the year, only to be beaten by Modern Warfare 3 (for similar reasons, look up my review if you really care, and if it makes you feel better I'm sure BF3 was just as bad but I won't expose myself to that much **** in one year). So, no it is not the worst on a mechanical standpoint but that doesn't mean that anyone should ever buy this game because it is still bad. No one should ever enjoy this and a 50 dollar price tag makes it all the worse. Just do yourself a favor and stay away. Expand
  46. Jul 8, 2012
    I was just really, really disappointed. I have played the Duke Nukem PC games since Duke 1, through Duke 3D and now Forever. The game is kind of funny sometimes, but the humour wears out really quickly, and the frustrating combat mechanics and lack of save game feature made me put it down. I played for about 90 minutes, and I think I'm done trying to like it.

Just, meh. I really want my

Just, meh. I really want my $20 bucks back. If you can get it on sale for $5 or maybe $10 and you really liked the other games a lot, then maybe check it out. Otherwise, don't bother. I wish I had preserved the fantasy that DNF would be really funny and fun to play.
  47. Jul 29, 2013
    A below-average shooter game. It does have some fun minigames inside (physics puzzles), and the designers strive hard to make the game as varied as possible. But everything together just doesn't seem to work. I also didn't like this sort of humor which seems to be the main thing about the Duke Nukem brand. There is nothing cool about it, it's rather annoying and makes me ask if americansA below-average shooter game. It does have some fun minigames inside (physics puzzles), and the designers strive hard to make the game as varied as possible. But everything together just doesn't seem to work. I also didn't like this sort of humor which seems to be the main thing about the Duke Nukem brand. There is nothing cool about it, it's rather annoying and makes me ask if americans really are that stupid to like this? I am sure they are not. Expand
  48. Dec 19, 2012
    The game is not even comparable to Duke Nukem 3D. The game doesn't have action, or it has it in very little portions, because it's based on **** around.
  49. Jul 1, 2013
    Im a fan of duke nukem 3d, but dnf is really garbage it lost all essence, not recommended its boring and not cool in anyway, for me it was finished and released only to make some money
  50. Sep 8, 2014
    It stopped half-way between being an somewhat old-school shooter and being modern military peek-a-boo. It resulted in a spectacular failure.

Full of annoying fillers where we yawn bored as **** The game doesn't start immediately as it should and before we get to the actual shooting we waste - like - about 2 hours walking around and throwing statues that kill in one hit due to the broken physics?
    Levels are closed, there're no real pick-ups, health is regenerating, we're often being closed in a small area and told to wait here for 5 or more minutes killing trash by a peek-a-boo tactic.
    You can carry 2 weapons max. 2. I mean - what the actual F?
    The game has its moments, some boss fights are pretty good and weapons do feel nice.

But it misses what Duke Nukem was about entirely. This game has identity problems, since it's half-way a call of turd game, with occasional old-school features on a top.
  51. Aug 18, 2014
    This game is infamous for being delayed for 13 YEARS (from 1997-2011). This was originally gonna be a PS1/N64 title but due to some stupid **** this game got delayed again & again & again. It kinda shows. This game feels like it wants to be a new shooter but can't be. It's pretty bad. If you want a new, good shooter, get Battlefield Bad Company, CoD 4-BO1 or damn near anything else (justThis game is infamous for being delayed for 13 YEARS (from 1997-2011). This was originally gonna be a PS1/N64 title but due to some stupid **** this game got delayed again & again & again. It kinda shows. This game feels like it wants to be a new shooter but can't be. It's pretty bad. If you want a new, good shooter, get Battlefield Bad Company, CoD 4-BO1 or damn near anything else (just don't get Aliens: Colonial Marines or Rogue Warrior) This game sucks balls. Expand
  52. Mar 22, 2015
    Duke Nukem Forever and its 15 year development cycle sets the player off after Duke plays a video game, playing the tournament from where the previous game ended. Duke Nukem is still being praised, until he finds out that aliens have began attacking, taking earths woman and impregnating them for their own offspring. Duke sets out on a quest to take down the alien mother ship and save earthDuke Nukem Forever and its 15 year development cycle sets the player off after Duke plays a video game, playing the tournament from where the previous game ended. Duke Nukem is still being praised, until he finds out that aliens have began attacking, taking earths woman and impregnating them for their own offspring. Duke sets out on a quest to take down the alien mother ship and save earth woman, also being accompanied by many easter eggs, such as dead space engineer, and halo armor Expand
  53. Jun 16, 2011
    After hearing that Duke Nukem Forever was actually going to be released, I was eager to play it. I did however have low expectations. After playing Bulletstorm earlier this year, I did have hope for the retro-style game that could have been. What I was expecting was not stop battles with loads of alien enemies swarming the screen with barely a breather in between. I was also expecting aAfter hearing that Duke Nukem Forever was actually going to be released, I was eager to play it. I did however have low expectations. After playing Bulletstorm earlier this year, I did have hope for the retro-style game that could have been. What I was expecting was not stop battles with loads of alien enemies swarming the screen with barely a breather in between. I was also expecting a game with quality visuals and some raunchy, and current topical humour. None of these are in the game. It's a boring, dull looking mess. The weapons (except for the shotgun) are stale. The platform jumping puzzles are just annoying, as are the driving sections where it feels like you are being forced to take a tour of the dated graphics. This can't be blamed on the game engine. While the UT3 graphics engine is getting old, by current standards, there have been some recent and good looking games that have utilized it much better than this. FYI, I am an older guy. I am one of many that remembers playing Duke 3D when it was first released and loving the competition it gave to Doom II. I played that campaign at least 4 times, and spent many nights with friends playing the multi-player part as well. The Duke Nukem here is just a pathetic goon, not a renegade hero. The voice acting is weak as well. Little QA was done to this game. I once got trapped by an invisible wall which means that I got to a place in the map that I wasn't supposed to have access. It would be easy to forgive a few of the issues, that I personally don't like, but there are so many bad things about Duke Nukem Forever that they by far outweigh the very few good parts of the game. Expand
  54. Aug 28, 2011
    I bought more than 100 games on steam, and never regreted the money i spent on them. Until i bought Duke Nukem Forever. This game sucks in all aspects: Graphics, engine, physics, story, animation, number of enemies... You can feel that the game was bad coded, and if you have any expectations for this... just forget it. I can say for sure that this was the greatest let down on my entireI bought more than 100 games on steam, and never regreted the money i spent on them. Until i bought Duke Nukem Forever. This game sucks in all aspects: Graphics, engine, physics, story, animation, number of enemies... You can feel that the game was bad coded, and if you have any expectations for this... just forget it. I can say for sure that this was the greatest let down on my entire gamer life. This game is not worth of all the hype that sorround it, and even less the price being charged. This game dont worth 50 bucks. This dont even worth 15 dollars. Seriosly, save your money or buy another game. Expand
  55. Jun 14, 2011
    roughly 14 years....really sad. i expected so much more. i should have known it the demo was really what it was going to be like. too bad Duke had to go down this way.
  56. Jun 14, 2011
    WOW...so disappointed in this game. Bad graphics, vulgar one liners trying to be funny but fall way short and linear game play. Wait for the bargain bin if you must have this for nostalgic reasons!
  57. Jun 14, 2011
    DNF is a sloppily made console port of Generic Shooter 2011. It's gameplay mechanics are copied straight from pretty much every modern console shooter (regenerating shield, 2-weapon-limit, extremely linear gameplay, pseudo quicktime events, checkpoints, choked FOV) and noticeably get in the way of having fun - it's kind of hard to enjoy the game with button prompts in the middle of yourDNF is a sloppily made console port of Generic Shooter 2011. It's gameplay mechanics are copied straight from pretty much every modern console shooter (regenerating shield, 2-weapon-limit, extremely linear gameplay, pseudo quicktime events, checkpoints, choked FOV) and noticeably get in the way of having fun - it's kind of hard to enjoy the game with button prompts in the middle of your display while you're trying to actually play. Duke even puts down a console controller within the first 10 mins of the game, as if daring the player to use a keyboard and mouse to play.

Multiplayer is no fun either - numerous crippling bugs and design flaws exist, from the unbearable lag, to the mysterious multiplayer security bugs which Gearbox refuses to disclose, along with the lack of internal security protection, leading to easy cheating. Spawn points in multiplayer maps are poorly designed and no spawn protection is afforded to players, which makes griefing rather amusing.

While Duke Nukem 3D was kept alive for a long time by a dedicated mod community and the support of 3D Realms, having released the Build editor, there have only been cookie-cutter community-placating responses from Gearbox on the release of a DNF editor, but no actual evidence of one which is forthcoming. This, along with their eagerness in removing the in-game console (to prevent multiplayer bugs - *face-through-desk*) does not bode well for this game being fixed/redone correctly and kept alive by the community's talented mapmakers, artists, modders and programmers.
  58. Jun 15, 2011
    I so wanted to like this game. We need new, innovative and daring FPSs - in short we need Duke. So what went wrong? Well this game feels like the rag bag of development that it is. Some levels are ok, not great, but ok. Most levels are terrible. The graphics are very dated - but it isn't just the graphics, the whole feel of the game.is clunky. The level design is boring and extremelyI so wanted to like this game. We need new, innovative and daring FPSs - in short we need Duke. So what went wrong? Well this game feels like the rag bag of development that it is. Some levels are ok, not great, but ok. Most levels are terrible. The graphics are very dated - but it isn't just the graphics, the whole feel of the game.is clunky. The level design is boring and extremely linear. The one liners are funny for the most part but they can't rescue this slow, ploddy game. Long boring driving sections - I love driving sections in most games but this just doesn't work. The vehicles feel like they are slowing you down more than helping. Out of fuel again? What's that - three times? It plods and it plods.

Really annoying are the many times when a game character blocks your path by standing in the middle of a wide corridor. Look, I could drive a bus through that gap but Duke has his nose against the invisible wall and the game is not letting me past until I've watched a tedious video on a TV or listened to some dialogue. I want to scream "You're Duke - shove that guy out of your way." It isn't happening. This feels really pointlessly irritating when you find a kid sitting on your throne who refuses to move unless you take his photo. Yep that's right - Duke has to run around after some kid before being allowed to proceed. If that doesn't ruin the immersion nothing will. Bad, bad, bad idea - but it's just one example. I had plenty to choose from.

I have waited for this for years. I played, and loved Duke 3D all those years ago. I wanted this to be great but I'm not letting that blind me to a truly horrible gaming experience. This is my opinion of course - but I have stated clear reasons above why this game is bad. And it really is bad. Oh God it's bad. How ever much of a fan you are stop and think. Or at least stop and wait until this hits the bargain bin - you won't have to wait long.
  59. Jun 18, 2011
    Wow this game just sucks. Game play is lame even during the best moments, plot is something a 12 year old would come up with, and then it hits you that ooh my god I waited 12 years for this game to come out and this is the best they can do? The game looks like its about 5 years old and its a VERY poor attempt to bring back the Duke but too me Duke is dead now :( Don't buy it or waitWow this game just sucks. Game play is lame even during the best moments, plot is something a 12 year old would come up with, and then it hits you that ooh my god I waited 12 years for this game to come out and this is the best they can do? The game looks like its about 5 years old and its a VERY poor attempt to bring back the Duke but too me Duke is dead now :( Don't buy it or wait till its a $10 game because that's what its worth. I going to uninstall it and reinstall DN 3D to remember the good times. Expand
  60. Nov 8, 2011
    I've never played the old Duke Nukem before, but it doesn't take a brainless moron to realize that "Duke Nukem forever" is one **** game. For the few several hours, the game tries to be unpredictable and enjoyable as possible. However the **** AI, unstable difficulty, and the horrible graphics (10 years...and this crap is the result) pushes this into the abyss of failure. Tell you what;I've never played the old Duke Nukem before, but it doesn't take a brainless moron to realize that "Duke Nukem forever" is one **** game. For the few several hours, the game tries to be unpredictable and enjoyable as possible. However the **** AI, unstable difficulty, and the horrible graphics (10 years...and this crap is the result) pushes this into the abyss of failure. Tell you what; get a better game. Go play MW3 and BF3 or something that pleases you. I don't give a **** on however you troll about other products, cause I'm pretty sure it's better than this. Expand
  61. Oct 12, 2011
    I am honestly surprised to see people giving this scores above 6, I honestly am. What we have here is 14 years of disappointment, to put it lightly. There is nothing, NOTHING redeeming this game, not the graphics, not the mediocre gameplay, the lackbuster humor or the "story" everything that made duke nukem 3d popular they forgot about. Regenerating health and a 2 gun limit, uh...

I am

I am glad I wasnt one of those people who thought this game would turn out to be pure gold, because I said it 5 years ago this was gonna flop, and it did, BIG TIME. Daikatana just got beaten as worst overhyped game ever made.
  62. Nov 2, 2011
    Played for about 20 minutes and stopped. Really not worth the money. HORRIBLE gameplay, graphics are average. Was hyped up way too much and just really failed to deliver on all areas. Give this a skip
  63. Mar 22, 2013
    Such a terrible game. There are so many wrongs with this game, i can't list them all. Read the other negative reviews and you'll get why this game is bad. The only time i remotely enjoyed myself was using the shotgun to blast piggies in the face, and even that happens rarely. Stay away from this, please.
  64. Jun 4, 2012
    AN SERIOUS EPIC FAIL GAMEPLAY ..... ODD VISUALS..WEAK DRIVING MECHANICS AND SHOOTING AND EPIC!!.."FAILED" PLOT .. Sorry to say but ... "King just fail to impress baby"
  65. Dec 30, 2012
    This was the game that taught me never to pre-order a game again.

This was the game that taught me never to pre-order a game again.

The AI in this game is awful--you can watch a series of identical enemies jump in the scene from the exact same location, follow the same path, behaving the same way, jumping at the same point in the path, etc. Game development has progressed passed this point, and this game's mechanics feel very dated. The juvenile humor in this is no longer cute; it just seems pointless. I loved the original Duke MP, and I was hopeful that the multiplayer was going to be this version's saving grace. Nope. There is something that just off about it. The fact that everyone is Duke is also unfortunate.
  66. Jun 18, 2013
    A terrible game, Ive never really seen much to go by in the duke nukem franchise but this game just takes the piss. The story is just bad, the game play is boring the missions are boring, the humor is.....well is it even supposed to be funny. The only reason I gave this game a score higher than 0 was that the little bits added in were actually not bad and take me back to the old days ofA terrible game, Ive never really seen much to go by in the duke nukem franchise but this game just takes the piss. The story is just bad, the game play is boring the missions are boring, the humor is.....well is it even supposed to be funny. The only reason I gave this game a score higher than 0 was that the little bits added in were actually not bad and take me back to the old days of gaming still not enough to make me want to waste my time with this crap though Expand
  67. Nov 27, 2013
    Horrible this game is...The only thing keeping it from getting a 0 or a 1 is the beginning. You get this whole huge thing of looking back at the old game and I like that. Other than that I'm sorry to say this but....you will have a better time playing Call Of Duty:Black Ops II. Witch itself is a really bad game...
  68. Mar 8, 2014
    I did not wait 12+ years to have a generic CoD clone.

I did not wait 12+ years to have a generic CoD clone.

DNF is not what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a good old school FPS sequel to Duke3D. Instead it turned into what was popular at the time (Call of Duty). Just a modern game for the casual gamers. Because the gameplay mechanics are from Call of Duty, cinematics are from Call of Duty, quicktime events are from Call of Duty, linearity is from Call of Duty.

I can't stress it enough how disappointed i am in DNF. I mean in Duke3D you proceed on your own pace, you take time as much as you want to, and you go where you want to go. But DNF says where you can go and where not (just like a typical modern on-rails FPS does). You have to keep hiding behind cover like a true coward to be able to regenerate your ego (health), because otherwise Duke will die from 2-4 shots. That doesn't sound like Duke to me, and it actually is not Duke. It's just another very lame Modern MIlitary Shooter disguised as Duke. Healthregen, weapon limit, sprint, linear level design and everything. Typical modern game.
  69. Jan 26, 2014
    If you hate making choices and the feeling of accomplishment then you will love this game. Everything is event based. Sometimes you will be thrown into some boring mini game that is actually more enjoyable then the game itself. My 3 year old loved the toilet humor tho, so her making me laugh earns this game 2 points.
  70. Aug 30, 2014
    This game should have released in 2001, it's sad to see that the developers thought that they could make it so modern, I mean regenerating health? No jetpack? No secret areas? Invisible walls? Quick time events?Driving in Duke Nukem? Turret Sections? Scripted enemy spawning? It just feels like a corridor shooter and quite frankly, 3d realms should have just continued making the 2001 buildThis game should have released in 2001, it's sad to see that the developers thought that they could make it so modern, I mean regenerating health? No jetpack? No secret areas? Invisible walls? Quick time events?Driving in Duke Nukem? Turret Sections? Scripted enemy spawning? It just feels like a corridor shooter and quite frankly, 3d realms should have just continued making the 2001 build instead of trying to switch to different engines all the time. Expand
  71. Jun 16, 2011
    Man this game is BAD!
    Horrible textures, cringe worthy dialog and terrible level design.
    For a game in development for so long, one has to wonder just what they spent all that time on.
    It certainly wasn't time well invested.
    Not since the shocking Space Chimps Game has a title disgusted me so much!
  72. Jul 3, 2011
    D.N. Forever..? I think NOT! ... It's seriously one of the most pointless and mind-less shoot-em-up games out there. You really don't need a sophisticated brain to play this one. The particular content of this game is a BAD influence for anyone... There is NO real story to this game... and the immoral content of the sex/nudity, LOL, only pathetic losers that can't get a real woman playD.N. Forever..? I think NOT! ... It's seriously one of the most pointless and mind-less shoot-em-up games out there. You really don't need a sophisticated brain to play this one. The particular content of this game is a BAD influence for anyone... There is NO real story to this game... and the immoral content of the sex/nudity, LOL, only pathetic losers that can't get a real woman play this trash game for the stripper chicks... Who the hell wants to watch and fantasize fake digital chicks strip?.. That's SO PATHETIC!!!! The ONLY reason I gave it a 1 is because of the graphics and sounds are decent... Expand
  73. Feb 1, 2012
    I got it for free, and I think I paid too much for it. The animation is terrible, the levels are tiny, mobs shoot through solid objects. It's almost as if they sat down and thought how can we make the worst game ever? And then they created it.
  74. Oct 18, 2011
    Duke nukem is 15 hours and $10 of my life i wont get back . I feel like i just repurchased the orange box with a stripper pole on the cover . the graphics are not where they should be .some of the comedy is ok once but not twice actually have turned the volume off. the duke sold us out
  75. Sep 11, 2011
    Simple. Use the games case as a paper-weight. Not an enjoyable experience at all. Buggy. Clunky. Linear. Just lame excuse for a Duke Nukem Game.
  76. Jun 16, 2011
    Well, I was disappointed. 14 years in development and I get boring levels, poor AI, dated graphics (looks like its from 2002 or so) and nothing innovative... Even Duke's jokes are already heard and seen somewhere. I was shocked by clumsy NPC animations and lifeless surroundings. They needed more time I guess to finish this game. Score 2.0
  77. Jun 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1.advantage: it's Duke Nukem Hero! DefectS: everything else. horrible graphics, dull gameplay, unfunny humor, absolutely not interesting multiplayer, missing physics, awkward controls Expand
  78. Jun 14, 2011
    This is the biggest joke of a game ever in a bad way; easily the most disappointing game ever and one of the worst. Graphics aren't good on the pc( its so outdated), and I dont want to see how terrible the console version is it. Poor textures and bad effects like shadows and explosions and wierd movements. Level design is very bad and only takes a couple of minutes to beat them followed byThis is the biggest joke of a game ever in a bad way; easily the most disappointing game ever and one of the worst. Graphics aren't good on the pc( its so outdated), and I dont want to see how terrible the console version is it. Poor textures and bad effects like shadows and explosions and wierd movements. Level design is very bad and only takes a couple of minutes to beat them followed by long loading times, why is it that you can only hold 2 weapons when there are many guns to pick up (example of trying to be modern but fails), and the melee should be the kicking attack instead of the gun butt. It tries to be funny but fails to put out one good joke. One thing that really annoys me is how it tries to be old school and modern at the same time instead of being itself and putting in new ideas. The most disappointing part is that they could of release it way before and possibly set the standards back than, it may of even change the fps genre back than and everything may be different today if they released it back than; Seriously, what have they been doing for the past 14 years, I can make a better game than 3d realms and release it on time, that's how bad duke nukem forever is. I will at least give it a 1 only because they proved me wrong that it will actually be released, but now I believe it would of been the right thing to just cancel it so that duke nukem franchise doesn't get ruined and rest. 14 years down the drain Expand
  79. Oct 27, 2011
    Revised review. Even the fact that it's Duke can't save this game. This piece of history has been rendered worthless. But still, it's a piece of history. That's worth one point.
  80. MB_
    Jun 14, 2011
    Chronically bad. No guns for the first hour or two of game play, just endless unskippable exposition and annoying characters. The graphics and humor constantly remind me of Postal 2, I guess as it uses the same tired old game engine.

As a Serious Sam, run and gun fan I am sorely disappointed. What on earth were they thinking. I can honestly say I didn't get far in the game, after the ten occurrence of 'tap space to continue' I closed it, deleted it and told all my friends where to stick it.

So many smarter, prettier and frankly more fun games out there. Why bother releasing this tripe at all. Let sleeping dogs, no let dead dogs lie.
  81. Jun 27, 2011
    What a bad return. Thin and boring level-design, no secrets or even secret-levels, snuffing babes instead rescuing babes, no more health. That's not Duke.
  82. Jun 14, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever is a collection of minigames with short passages of regular FPS gaming. Even getting the game started takes 45 painfilled minutes while Duke admires himself, posters and signs autographs.

It's a bad game, don't buy it.
  83. Jun 15, 2011
    I wanted this game to be good, like struggling through the desert, dying from dehydration. And then this idiot comes and offers me a beer.
    Starting with the gameplay, I keep getting the sense that the game is trying to evoke the feel of REALLY old school games, I think we may be beyond retro with this. The only problem is I recall retro games having more than just two enemies at a time, various types of enemies, all gunning for me, with health pickups and plenty o' guns. Instead, no, the most baddies I've seen at once are three, there's hardly ever a difference, you have regenerative health if you go and hide like a wuss behind a wall, and Duke is so manly he can now only heft two weapons-wait what?
    Graphics? Passable, I guess, I'm not one to pay too much attention, but at the same time I kept noticing how bland and midgrade they were.
    The humor? We've heard these jokes before... YEARS before, and these are the type of jokes that never age well. Here's one: You have to go with this rookie soldier named Jenkins, yes you can tell where this is going. Within the minute he gets turned into paste, and Duke declares, "Dammit Leroy." You can practically hear the character on the stand-up stage waving desperately for a guy on drums to do a roll on snare.
    Which comes from the voice acting itself. Every single character sounds as much an idiot as the folks who thought up their lines. Sure a couple of the soldiers early in the game bounced insults off each other pretty well, but you never get that experience again. Apparently all the females understood just how much they were doing their gender a disservice and aimed to make every character they voiced as annoying or unsexy as possible, and I'm sorry, hearing the balls in a woman's voice is unwanted.
    Thankfully, Duke's original voice actor reprises the role. Unfortunately, he's aged more than the character, what once were nicely paced quips and well delivered lines, now plod along at a slower pace, leaving a much more dimwitted mind behind, leaving every spoken line just hanging out there like an older person wearing less clothing.
    In the end, I found myself asking, "Why am I playing this? There's far more fun games all around me."
    It's nice that Gearbox wanted to credit every person who worked on this game within the last decade or so, that way we have a nice shopping list of people to blame for this letdown and, what could be called, cashgrab. You might argue against that, but pray tell, could there have been plenty of people that noticed their game was utter garbage before it left to shelves?
  84. Jun 16, 2011
    Play Duke 3D and pretend it was just released. You'll have a much better time than with this abysmal garbage. For one, despite enjoying D3D immensely, and enjoying racy humor, DNF misses the mark and biffs the portrayal of the famous egotist into an unlikable moron who's unpleasant to play. I'll leave aside all the details of this distortion, or the off-note trivialization of rape, andPlay Duke 3D and pretend it was just released. You'll have a much better time than with this abysmal garbage. For one, despite enjoying D3D immensely, and enjoying racy humor, DNF misses the mark and biffs the portrayal of the famous egotist into an unlikable moron who's unpleasant to play. I'll leave aside all the details of this distortion, or the off-note trivialization of rape, and attribute it to 3DRealms being immersed in it for 12 years and losing sight of reality. Sadly, the gameplay fares no better. The game delights in mocking successful FPS titles that have risen since production began, including Halo and the entire Half-Life series so far, while confusedly grabbing elements from them. Recharging health? Check (have fun with Duke regaining "ego" by cowering around a corner). 2 weapon carry limit? Check, which you'll hate because almost all of the weapons feel unsatisfying. Awkward, 90s era platforming? Check. Linear corridor levels, shunting you down the only path by closing off others with random debris, a la CoD? Check! The game garbles all sorts of elements together from its successful cousins but manages to miss the elements of each of those games that made them fun.

While the loads aren't as awful as they apparently are on consoles, they're still pretty stupid, especially for sections where by the start of the next level, you'll have loaded twice for a three minute section of non-combat navigating. Graphics aren't awful, but they aren't very good, and everything has had obnoxious glow slapped all over it. The vehicle sections are awful, whereas the parts forced in between one of the vehicle sections turn out to be the best part of the game. It's a very short title, but you probably won't want to replay. I haven't tried the multiplayer much, but on brief trial it seems like renting a 1998 N64 knockoff of a popular game.

These 12 years would have been better spent on anything else.
  85. Jun 17, 2011
    Simply disappointing. The User is thrown into a REALLY poor Graphic. Even Farcry(!!) has a MUCH better Graphic. The Gameplay is miserable. The Characters interact with you in a very poor way. Either they dont look at you, or the animation is so obviously not natural.... The guys who were responsible for this obviously had either no clue of how to really do it, or had better things to do.Simply disappointing. The User is thrown into a REALLY poor Graphic. Even Farcry(!!) has a MUCH better Graphic. The Gameplay is miserable. The Characters interact with you in a very poor way. Either they dont look at you, or the animation is so obviously not natural.... The guys who were responsible for this obviously had either no clue of how to really do it, or had better things to do. There is NO love for details in this Game! Wherever you go, you fight 5-10 enemies, and then a soundeffect tells you that you're done. Then you look for the next room and do the same. Soon there are also no more girls that pull you out of that boring 3d-shooter... I dont think the developers even played the game. This looks like they were just in a hurry to release it. Thats why your health is refreshing on its own! No need to place Medikits, no need to play it once, since the user can always start any fight with full health - and also no need to balance the number of Medikits for different difficulties. Also in any fight-area you can find a place where the enemies cant reach you... WOW i'm standing on a couch, of course the pigcops cant touch me there*doh*... How realistic...Duke is EPIC and kind of Legendary! He should be able to do more than just fire Guns! At least he should be able to interact more with the girls there! Girls cant be touched, nor cant be interacted in any other way than the little animation you instantly see when you get near them... Also that Superstar-like-Duke is pretty ridiculous... Duke's slogans get boring pretty soon too. Its always the same. This game is like Duke3D with real 3D. My disappointment is endless... I guess this will be the first game in my life that i'm not going to finish. Spending my time on something thats not entertaining at all, is just a waste of time. I used to be a HUGE DukeNukem Fan and played those games when i was a little kid and i expected so much after 12 years of waiting... but this is simply a big bad expensive joke. 2 points for this game - minus 1 point for destroying a legend. 1 point... Expand
  86. Jul 4, 2011
    This game was obviously rushed out the door and lacks any kind of depth or attention to detail. The game is the living embodiment of linear and is 10 years behind the times as far as game play is concerned. It's one saving grace is the comedy but all the laughs in the world can't keep me awake while running through a hamster tube maze of boredom.
  87. Jul 17, 2011
    Sadly, this is a waste of everything, ... I guess the biggest FAIL in FPS-history ... graphics, gameplay, "jokes", ... nothing comes above a 3/10 (and I have much compassion with dnf by saying 3/10) ... I haven´t the rawest idea why such a franchise ended up in this massive disaster. If there´d be an opportunity to give it back, I wouldn´t wait 1Sadly, this is a waste of everything, ... I guess the biggest FAIL in FPS-history ... graphics, gameplay, "jokes", ... nothing comes above a 3/10 (and I have much compassion with dnf by saying 3/10) ... I haven´t the rawest idea why such a franchise ended up in this massive disaster. If there´d be an opportunity to give it back, I wouldn´t wait 1 second. A truely dark day in gaming history! Expand
  88. Aug 13, 2011
    bad and dull game. glitchy. Don't buy it. This is just a money-making game of some very untalented and uninspired game developers. Rest in peace, duke. Rest in peace.
  89. Oct 20, 2011
    Prendre 12 ans pour faire un jeux, et en faire une merde absolue! C'est ce que 3D Realms à fait ici. On a enlever tout ce qui était amusant du titre 3D et on a mit tout ce qui restait dans Forever. Il n'y a plus au dessus de 10 armes à transporter avec soi, plus de holoduke, plus de belle cartes avec des tonnes d'ennemis à fairePrendre 12 ans pour faire un jeux, et en faire une merde absolue! C'est ce que 3D Realms à fait ici. On a enlever tout ce qui était amusant du titre 3D et on a mit tout ce qui restait dans Forever. Il n'y a plus au dessus de 10 armes à transporter avec soi, plus de holoduke, plus de belle cartes avec des tonnes d'ennemis à faire explosés et des passages secrets partout, etc, etc, etc... Qu'est-ce qui reste pour que je donne un 1/10? La sexualité est d'avantage présente. L'humour y est toujours. Le graphisme des pitounes et du jeux est excellent. Mais je n'achète pas un jeux pour des plaisirs qui ne durent que 10 minutes. QUELLE Dà Expand
  90. Dec 20, 2011
    level design is boring and generic,outdated graphics,game felt like it should have beeen realeased at least 5 or 6 years ago.generic multiplayer and only redeeming factos it is nasty humour!
  91. Jan 23, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game really did but it was so bad. The jokes are mainly bad and graphics look like puke, weird to think same engine that did bioshock unreal 2.5. game play just sucks not even like duke nukem 3d which was great im not even going to give out multiple scores don't buy it you will waste you money and time.
  92. Apr 2, 2012
    Like everybody else, the hype got to me. I too remember the good times I had with Duke Nukem 3D back in the day in my parents basement. So, when they rolled out the trailers for this I pre-ordered and expected greatness. Why? Because I am dumb as a whistle apparently. The awful truth about this game however, is that it is horribly dated, rushed, badly designed and just plain boring. I didLike everybody else, the hype got to me. I too remember the good times I had with Duke Nukem 3D back in the day in my parents basement. So, when they rolled out the trailers for this I pre-ordered and expected greatness. Why? Because I am dumb as a whistle apparently. The awful truth about this game however, is that it is horribly dated, rushed, badly designed and just plain boring. I did not play more than a few hours before I finally came to terms with the fact that this game is really really bad. So, 2K Games and Take-Two Interactive has capitalized on the hype this game had, produced a really REALLY bad game - and lost me as a consumer for life. These guys deserve no respect. Duke Nukem is not back, he is in fact hiding at home with his face in his hands - thinking about this pile of dung with his name on it. Expand
  93. Apr 16, 2012
    Wasted time...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  94. May 29, 2012
    When DNF was released it was challenged by various lawsuits for the serious problems the game had with the STEAM network. (Extracting credit card info and private info from the user) Its a very bad ONLINE GAME and had some untested bugs that left the buyer who spent $50 during the first release unable to play the game unless it was connected to the internet. It was QA tested by a veryWhen DNF was released it was challenged by various lawsuits for the serious problems the game had with the STEAM network. (Extracting credit card info and private info from the user) Its a very bad ONLINE GAME and had some untested bugs that left the buyer who spent $50 during the first release unable to play the game unless it was connected to the internet. It was QA tested by a very unprofessional and not very smart team of bumbling bird brains in Dublin who did everything possible to put out legal fires. I simply got my money back and behind the store counter was a PILE of returned copies of the PC version of DNF. If you tried to ask the company why they didn't advertise it as an ONLINE game, they delete your account or don't answer you. What a terrible release that was so long in the waiting. Expand
  95. Jun 5, 2012
    The humour was totally mis-judged, took what was a great aspect of the original 3d and totally blew it. The game itself was pretty "Meh", but I was cringing throughout at the unfunny jokes and the incredibly over-use of catchphrases. Killed what should have been ace, and certainly had all the hype and buildup of something worthwhile. Shame on the developers.
  96. Oct 17, 2012
    I can't understand why Duke Nukem Forever received a score this high. The game is aweful is just playing like its full of **** in it. I DONT UNDERSTAND DARN YOU DUKE
  97. Sep 3, 2013
    EVERYTHING is wrong with this game, the puzzles, the controversy, the game play, the jokes. If you're sadistic and want a rough ride in hell, play this horrible piece of horse dung. This game deserves nothing, an hour into this game is an hour lost. Poor dated graphics poor physics (and puzzles) and really crap aiming are just a few of the many existent problems with this game. AVOID at all cost.
  98. Jun 25, 2013
    game-play looks worse than in the trailers 2001 2003 2006, graphics are so bad that I want to cry, the physics of the game is terrible. Level design in the game is terrible.
  99. Nov 5, 2013
    Wait, this is the culmination of 15 years work? No wonder Duke Nukem is a dead franchise. The graphics are mediocre at best, and I'm not even a "grafix whore" and the gameplay is simultaneously too much like Duke 3D and not enough like Duke 3D. Let me try to explain: the gunplay comes ripped from 1996 and feels weak. There's no satisfaction in killing anyone, but the map design is straightWait, this is the culmination of 15 years work? No wonder Duke Nukem is a dead franchise. The graphics are mediocre at best, and I'm not even a "grafix whore" and the gameplay is simultaneously too much like Duke 3D and not enough like Duke 3D. Let me try to explain: the gunplay comes ripped from 1996 and feels weak. There's no satisfaction in killing anyone, but the map design is straight out of games like Medal of Honor. There's no cleverness to the way the maps work. They're boring. Wolfenstein 3D had more interesting maps and they didn't even have the benefit of a 3rd axis.

Speaking of cleverness, the game simply isn't funny. While there was a certain charm in Duke Nukem 3D (It helps that that game wasn't awful), it wears off fast here. It's so self-indulgent, it almost made me vomit. Also, I'm all for "offensive humor", but the way this game treats women is sickening. It's like the Gearbox staff have never talked to real women (which wouldn't surprise me). I give it one point for not giving me an STD.
  100. Nov 24, 2014
    Waste of money. The game is short, boring and generally speaking not very enjoyable. Couple this with a level that involves jumping puzzles and you have a contender for the worst game ever made. It captures nothing of what made Duke Nukem 3D so enjoyable - and is woefully insuperior to the old game in almost every aspect.

Did you like Duke Nukem 3D? If so, don't buy this, just play Duke

Did you like Duke Nukem 3D? If so, don't buy this, just play Duke 3D instead.

Jimbo Rating: 1/10

1. Sep 12, 2011
    Duke Nukem Forever would be quite decent if one felt entirely certain it's intended purely as a self-parody. As is, it doesn't do the expectations, the buyer or the Duke justice – oh, had he rather remained a vaporware legend!
  2. Aug 6, 2011
    Petty, nasty and anachronistic. Duke is only relevant as a warning from the past. Avoid these mistakes, developers. [Aug 2011, p.76]
  3. Aug 1, 2011
    Bottom line: Duke Nukem Forever was not worth the 15-year wait, nor is it worth paying the full $50. However, I cannot deny that I thought it was both fun and funny, which at the end of the day is what this franchise is all about.