4.6

1. Feb 11, 2014
    While I disliked some things in the beginning, in the end the main things that were bad about it were the amount of item models, the amount(and diversity) of spells, and the amount of upgrades that let you build your character a certain way. The default controls were atrocious, but THEY HAVE KEYBINDINGS for a reason. I had no problem moving my character with WASD, attacking with my mouse. I made my healing spell R, which is real quick and easy. While there are a few minor things that Obsidian could have made better, those are the only things that bugged me after playing it twice. The storyline was pretty good (albeit predictable, but I never expect a complex GoT-like storyline from video games nowadays), the old fashion tale of revenge never gets old. The environments were great, the graphics were pretty decent, but just the way the environments were designed was what really made it pop. I thought the combat flowed smoothly, though it was a bit plain. Comparing the game to it's predecessors, it's a downgrade, but I thought the game was still pretty fun. I got quite a few hours of gameplay, as I have in all the other DS games, which was nice.
    If this game had the character customization and the diversity of spells (upgrades, etc) that were big in it's predecessors. this game would have been great. However, it doesn't :( It may not be as fun as the last two, but it's still fun!
  2. Jan 6, 2014
    Definitely a disgrace to his epic predecessors. Limited skills, weak story, somewhat challenging environments, few items, confusing interface. Dungeon Siege I and II are better!

Dungeon Siege III is a offence to fans of this serie. Total waste of time.
  3. Nov 20, 2013
    This isn't dungeon siege. It neither has the atmosphere, music nor the Dungeon Siege’s gameplay style. I’ve been waiting for 5 years only to be disappointed when I saw the trailer and gameplay videos of Dungeon Siege 3. “3” is a cursed number, I’ve witness a bunch of third-sequels come to fail, most notable examples are Diablo 3, Discipline 3, Fable 3, stronghold 3, etc.
    So why do I score
    this game 8? Few months ago, I purchased a triology of DS, DS 2 and DS 3 for a great price on Steam. So, although I don’t like DS 3, I lose nothing to try DS 3, and it turns out to be quite good.
    DS3 have a good story, music and gameplay. Although none of these things “feel” like Dungeon Siege series. But it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. The story and atmosphere have the feeling of Dragon Age: Origins, and some of your dialogue choice will have impact upon you. The music feels good, too. But its tone and feeling are different than DS 1&2. Combat feels like Fable, where you can dodge, block, and switch between two alternative attacking styles with different attacking skills for each style. Four classes with different skills, skill and healing systems are similar to Diablo 3. And there is no portal scrolls/spell/ gem (the only thing few like dungeon Siege 1). All these things are combined together quite good, thus, bring a unique feeling about the game.
    To conclude, Dungeon Siege 3 should not bear Dungeon Siege name. If you’re a die-hard fan of DS 1&2, you will be disappointed about the “way” of DS3, like me when DS3 first come out. It bears nearly no feeling of Dungeon Siege at all. But this game is actually a good game with good story, music and a tactical combat system. The trailer and gameplay videos provide a “wrong” disappointed feeling about this game. I encourage you to try the demo first.
  4. Sep 15, 2013
    I highly recommend this game. play it with someone locally (two controllers) for the entire campaign and you wont regret it.
    the main thing i can say about it is that its fun, we spend hours playing it and we just had fun.
  5. Sep 12, 2013
    I liked the game as a stand alone, and I would have liked it more if it actually could be played on the PC. I could only choose one of the four characters to effectively play, as ranged combat was the only option with a keyboard, or so it felt.

This is not a 1 or a 10. It is just another game.
  6. Sep 10, 2013
    Excellent game. I picked the whole series up on Steam for seven bucks and played DS III first. Excellent. The reason this one slipped under my radar was the name. It looked like a mindless dungeon hack and slash. Not at all. It completely reminds me of Neverwinter Nights II. Lot's of character development. Fun plot. Lot's of secrets. Plenty of fighting. And it's not at all just a dungeon crawler. Forest, dessert, dungeon, everything. I wouldn't call it an "open" game, but there's definitely plenty to explore. I got 40 hours out of it too for those who feel the same as me for a "full" feeling.

I didn't bother reading the reviews for this due to the price, but I was disappointed to see such a low user score for this game. It's worth $20 with the dlc. I only hope DS 2 and 1 are as fun.
  7. Jul 25, 2013
    Horrible controls and crappy camera angles make this game a pain to play. It might be a decent game, but I got fed up just trying to move around and see what was coming at me. You can either move by holding down 2 buttons and see about 10 feet from you, or attack by holding a different 2 buttons and hope you can hit something because that takes a third hand to work the mouse cursor to aim. It's totally retarded and frustrating. Expand
  8. Jul 20, 2013
    This is the first Dungeon Siege game that I have played and I really did enjoy it. The story, graphics, fighting, and character customization were all well done. Unfortunately, for everything this game does right, you will only remember it for what it did wrong... the camera. This is hands down the most frustrating thing you will encounter outside of a few annoyingly difficult bosses. The camera angles tend to be almost directly overhead and always seem to rotate around to the worst viewpoint possible. Maybe the camera is only a co-op issue, but be warned. Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2013
    I loved DS3. However I can see the problems people have had. Please let me lay those fears aside though.

One primary complaint was, when the game was first released the controls were not re-mappable. Meaning you could not change which keys do what. That did make control awkward and it was unfair for left handed players. However the controls are now re-mappable. Community backlash got
    the developers to make an update patch which makes it so.

Anyway pressing on. When I first played the demo, I was shocked how different it was from the first two games. Then replaying the demo a few times I slowly grew to love it, (and I was increasingly attracted by the graphics). I looked forward to the day I bought the game. One aspect that stood out, was movement is by keys, rather than clicking on the map like previous DS. Combat in DS3 is click once per strike, whereas before in DS you could make it auto-fire. (There is no archer character by the way, and instead a shooter and all characters weapon sets are pre-determined.)

When you play then, you will need to do this:
    For PC mouse and keyboard, you can re-configure the control keys. I have put 'A' and 'D' to straife/move left and right. I use the 'hold middle mouse', for camera rotate. (Someone, I read mapped that to RMB.) Of course you can use the 'mouse to the edge of screen' for camera rotate, like DS1+2. I found control very good once quiclky adjusted.

The second major complaint folk have is that the game 'checkpoints' spoil it. Let me put again put fears quickly aside over this:
    The save beacons are not checkpoints. Use each save beacon repeatedly to save your game as often as you like. You receive a health to maximum when you do too. Also you can overwrite saved games in the save window, so you don't accumulate to many. Sometimes though it might be an idea not to overwrite.

I would also say explore everything. Furthermore I have found treasure chests I missed, by going back to have another look round where I was before. Revisiting old areas very often makes you bump into new enemies put there for you. These all add up in your XP so you can level up more, before moving on in the game. Plus by defeating more baddies, you get more gold and items so there's a chance of getting better kit.

DS3 on release had control problems, but I have however mentioned all the ways I can to maximise your fun. I explore slowly as I thought I would. I meander about because the scenery is gorgeous. The countryside parts, paths in woods I mean, are exciting and the first village is quaint and beautiful. The story is good and quickly got fully involving and exciting. There are no downfalls, the game is charming, and other positive reviewers confer with how DS3 is. Furthermore, it's twenty-five hours plus game-play, which contradicts the claims of twelve hours set out by some.

Don't be afraid to try this game. Just be prepared for a modern take.
    (Remember it was a long time coming from DS2, when dungeon type games were different. Once you adjust, and very quickly get comfortable with the controls, it looks just like a modern Dungeon Siege.)
  10. Jul 5, 2013
    Very underrated game in this genre. Sure it's multiplayer sucks with its restrictions, but as a single player game I found this game to be far more interesting than the likes of Diablo 3. I'm writing this review a long time after the game's release and I bought it on day one. You can easily find this game on the web for a ridiculously low price and it's worth more than every penny. The expansion was well planned out too. If you are a fan of ARPG games you owe it to yourself to at least give the single player a go. Expand
  11. Jun 19, 2013
    My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed this game. A fun and inviting fantasy world with a interactive and engaging storyline, what more could one ask for. Aside from these things the co-operative play was really fun and we found it easy to pick up where we left off. We're on our second play through (a year later) and we're having lots of fun.
  12. Jun 12, 2013
    I like DS1 and DS2. but DS3 use new things,new Engine and i hate it. Better if DS3 have the same differents to DS2 like DS1 to DS2. First i saw the Menu,it looks epic,but than i have to choose a character. I can't change details and the charakters are so strange. I searching for a Charakter with Bow,but what Pistoles and Guns This Sucks. And the Fights are like Tekken. For me this Game called DS3 isn't a RPG. Expand
  13. Jun 7, 2013
    Having never played the previous two Dungeon Siege games, I thought I’d give this one a go anyway and overall I must admit it impressed me. It starts off feeling a bit mediocre the levels are literally a straight line, the character control is strange, and you don’t have any abilities or companions in order to pull off good combat strategies. However, after the first hour or so the game really starts to pick up and only gets better and better from then on.

To begin with, the player gets a choice to play the game with one of the 4 characters. It might seem like a step back considering there’s no character creation feature, but these 4 characters really do cover all of the main archetypes we have Lucas, who is a paladin-like tank, Anjali, who is pretty much a pyromancer through and through, Katarina, who is a thief-like ranged fighter, and Reinhart, who is a scholar utilising all sorts of arcane sorceries. One of the impressive features of this game is that once you’ve chosen your character, the other 3 characters will become your companions during the game after certain story points. You can only have one companion at a time, but once you have them in your ‘party’ so to speak, you can swap between them at any time outside of combat.

Throughout the game you will level up and learn new abilities. There are only 9 abilities per character, but each of those can then be improved via the use of skills, which mold the said abilities in either of two possible directions. For example Lucas’ shield pummel ability can be given more damage or more chance to knock down the opponents, and so on. And finally, each character also has talents that can be levelled up. These are more like passive abilities, which cause your character to have higher attack, or better defence, or to simply gain more chances of healing upon damaging the enemies, and so on. What’s even better is that as you go through the game, you are choosing skills and talents not only for your character, but also for your companions, making their fighting style more suitable to your liking.

Apart from levelling up and gaining abilities, other standard RPG elements are present too, such as inventory management and having to optimize your gear and that of your companions as you travel through various areas and face various opponents. Although it can be fun finding cool equipment and making your character use it, the whole inventory management can feel like a bit of a drag during the times when your inventory gets full and you need to discard useless items, because we all know, in the world of RPGs, hoarding is one of our favourite hobbies.

The game mostly plays in an isometric perspective, similar to games like Diablo and Titan Quest. The combat mechanics are generally good, although the battles can seem to fluctuate between too easy and too hard at times, since the game doesn’t really feature any potions or other healing items. Any healing you get is either from your abilities or from the orbs that the enemies drop upon getting killed. So in essence, the more aggressive you are in battle, the better are your chances of staying alive, or at least that’s how I found it when playing the game as Lucas. This in turn gives forth some rather challenging boss battles, as you will find yourself fighting for your own survival.

Perhaps what I liked the most about Dungeon Siege III is how well it executes the concept of making your own choices and decisions, and having to experience what happens as a result. A lot of those tend to occur during the dialogues, which take the player to an over-the-shoulder view and add to the immersion. There are plenty of decisions thrown at you throughout the game some small, others big. The ending itself pretty much includes the outcomes of every decision you’ve made in the game, which should make the player curious as to what would happen had they made other choices.

Overall the game feels fun and engaging. Lots of control is given over your character’s skills, as well as the skills of your party. Additionally, good voice acting and the presence of moral choices make it more than just your typical hack and slash sword and sorcery RPG.
  14. Jun 4, 2013
    Now don't waste your time playing this crap as there are much better similar games to waste your time with. You already know which ones I mean, don't you? Yes: Diablo 3 and, even better (and cheaper), Torchlight 2. You have been warned
  15. May 28, 2013
    I think there is some potential here for this to be a good game but I just couldn't make it past the controls. Every step of the way it felt like I was battling the camera and more often than not it would be the cause of my death. When I really think about it, I think the camera control in this game is the worst out of any game I've ever played. Definitely try the demo out first if you're thinking of getting this. Expand
  16. May 5, 2013
    The camera is the worst I ever seen in any game over the world. It's impossible to control my character. It isn't addictive. A good job but in a wrong way...
    I expect full translation when I bought a game in my language, but dialogues are in English.
    Finally, only to mention Stream system and its family... Since I installed the game, with titanic efforts to carry out running Steam on my
    computer, it hangs my system at restart 6 in 10 times, as well as crash updating Stream system.
    Is Stream the "solution" or the "virus"?
  17. Mar 25, 2013
    Dungeon Siege III is a great game with top down 3rd person hack and slash action. Visuals are well done and really has a darker richer look to it than say, Torchlight. The Story was decent enough to have me interested and keep going but ended in a somewhat disappointing fashion. Although, the presentation was great, using a storybook type of slideshow telling of the choices I had made throughout the game. It would be great if I had more than one companion to follow me around but i guess its better than no one. The Game really is more geared towards using a controller to play as opposed to keyboard and mouse. Overall, it was a great game along with the DLC Treasures of the Sun. Expand
  18. Jan 19, 2013
    Environments and graphics looks nice, everything runs smooth, no crashes etc. However the game mechanics is a bad joke, it makes DS3 feel cheap, dull voice acting and terrible cut scenes aswell.
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is not even close to original DS games. There is no atmosphere, familiar to me, and there is nothing catchy, nor plot, nor gameplay. Too bad that developers want us to pay for "another sequel with better graphics".
  20. Jan 9, 2013
    I simply couldn't get past the terrible controls. A and D are used to slowly pivot your pov around while you wait, items are hard to get close enough to to pick up, combat feels extremely difficult to control due to the pov lag.... overall, I'd say this game is worth trying in demo form, just to see what it's like, but I wouldn't pay money for it.
  21. Dec 2, 2012
    Looks and feels like a indie game bought it at a very low price, couldn't even be bothered to finish it. Such boring frustrating simplistic game play why did they bother making this at all?
  22. Nov 20, 2012
    I'm disappointed in the low scores so many people are giving this game. I enjoyed this game a lot more than Dragon Age 2, and almost as much as Origins. The world is vivid, and the storyline, while not being super creative, is interesting enough to keep me engaged all the way through. This game kept me at my computer way too much until such time as I finished it. Addictive, immersive and enjoyable all the way through. Expand
  23. Oct 17, 2012
    This game sucks.. its not DS3 and was BS to be presented as DS3. The boss fights are retarded and it overall was a piss poor purchase. You clunk along then come to a boss that even on easy (if your a more casual gamer) you need a miracle and 10 tries to beat because noone playes multi and they are not geared toward single player.
  24. Oct 2, 2012
    GOOD: +++ Pretty standard combat system, but was well explained. +++ Combat resources and empowered skills offered nice break from cool-down based systems. +++ Some boss fights near the end demanded some skill. +++ Story line was not too deep, but good enough to follow, if you just want hack-and-slash. +++ Quest tracking on demand let you go straight into action if you are not into wandering around.
    +++ Save points were plenty and did not allow you to backtrack too much.
    +++ Graphics was quite good and presented wide variety of landscapes and enemies.
    +++ Item comparison tab.
    +++ You can use your mouse AND WS AD to move your character (almost).

BAD:
    --- Many enemies were on the slow side and did not have ranged abilities.
    --- Controls were daunting to learn.
    --- Abilities offered no customization.
    --- Talents predictable and boring.
    --- Managing loot was boring because of slow menus.
  25. Aug 23, 2012
    The nicest thing I can say about this game is it looks pretty. The interface is obviously designed for a console and is awkward on PC. This game in no way resembles a dungeon siege game. In the first two the mythology was kinda stupid but you played the first one for the stunning graphics. The second game took on sort of a diablo 2 feel and was more of a grind but still had its moments of surreal beauty. In this game the mythology is all that is left. They took what should have been mature interesting characters (as per the cover graphics) and turned them into colorful little cartoon blobs. I'd say the biggest problem with this game is its target audience. This game should have 10-14 written in big letters on the title. It is a children's game. The gear doesn't matter so your son or daughter can play to their hearts content with whatever colorful thing catches their fancy.

Anyone who enjoyed the first two games and shelled out money for this got ripped off. I personally burned $30. I would be mad as hell if I payed the $60 they wanted when it first came out. I will nearly always beat a computer game I've payed for at least once. Even if it becomes tedious. Just so I feel like I got my dollars worth. This game is so bad I just couldn't.
  26. Jul 1, 2012
    The game is good, but forgettable. If you have only this title, you will probably have fun. If you got other games like Mass Effect, Diablo III or Elder Scroll, you will probably getting distracted and leaving it behind for good. Even so, Its is fun. Problem is: a) it lasts just a few hours of fun and; b) does not worth 12.50 bucks (STEAM promotion pack - Id like to have paid even less).
  27. Jun 12, 2012
    I was very excited when I played the demo and then quickly very disappointed. The controls for the PC is like trying to use a potato peeler to shave your beard. They scream of reckless console port. That alone made the game feel awkward to play and would have given this game a bad score. But of course they couldn't have stopped there. Even though this game has the dungeon siege name it literally has nothing to do with the original series. Every single mechanic is different for the worst. The inventory is a pain to use, the abilities are boring, the fighting is now a boring hack and slash, the stats on the items are uninteresting and randomized, and the camera is like trying to wrestle with a crocodile. Although, the worst of all is the multiplayer. That is the sole purpose that I bought this game when it went on sale on steam. I had the bad fortune to think "What could possibly go wrong", the answer was a lot. Every person playing the game shares the same camera. I don't think you understand the gravity of that statement. EVERY PERSON IN AN -ONLINE COOP GAME- HAS TO SHARE THE SAME TINY CAMERA. It was actually impressive that they made the Coop experience WORSE than the actual game. Thanks for destroying my hopes of my favorite series coming back Obsidian Entertainment... Expand
  28. Jun 6, 2012
    Having played the predecessors, DS III was highly disappointing but I suppose its expected from a developer who never worked on the original title. I admit I may not have given this game a chance but this is what happens when your expectations have been set so high in a previous title.
  29. Jun 5, 2012
    Simply not fun. I love action RPGs, and I picked this game up for crazy cheap, but when I was on my way to the Heroes Crypt (I'm going to assume it's halfway), I realized that I was simply not having fun. I guess the combination of repetitive enemies, boring click-fest combat, bad voice acting, horrible engine optimization, and HORRENDOUS controls are enough to ruin this game. I'm all for getting my money's worth out of things, but I'm not going to force myself to play something that isn't fun out of some misguided sense of duty. Before you buy this game, play through the demo and ask yourself "is it worth it?" and then play through the demo 5 more times and ask "is it still worth it?" Expand
  30. May 28, 2012
    Good game from the developers of Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: New Vegas. The game has an interesting plot, non-linear construction of the dialogues, moral dilemmas, which influences the further development of the plot and others qualities of classic RPG. The graphic is not perfect, but the textures and shadows are pretty. Soundtrack is unobtrusive.
    Cons - ugly controls and annoying
    monsters respawn. Expand
  31. May 28, 2012
    It's been almost a year since the game was out, if you play it today, what would the rating be? I give it a solid 8, but I will be rating it 10 in order to compensate a little for the rabid idiots who have been voting the game down.

The game plays better if you use a controller but since the controls are customizable, you can play it whatever way you like. I recommend using a, and d keys
    for moving left and right instead of rotating the camera. This will make the keyboard + mouse combo easy to use and should take care of all the control related complaints.

This game is more console-ish, there is more emphasis on action and less emphasis on stats. It is an Action RPG, whilst the earlier Dungeon Siege were CRPGs. However, the earlier Dungeon Siege's were mediocre CRPGs, while this is actually a GOOD game.

Graphics are really great and the 3D Modellers and the concept artists are to be commended for creating compositions that look beautiful whichever way you are travelling in the game. Great job on art, guys.

The story is standard fare, but still manages to be interesting. You will be interested in finding out what really happened - did the legion really kill the king?

The combat is vastly improved compared to the previous Dungeon Siege versions. The boss battles are frantic, and you are generally on the edge, with you characters getting knocked out often. The standard encounters are easier, but still present a challenge. At least for me, Obsidian got the difficulty just right.

The loot has become less interesting, but still retain the decision making element - do I go for this helm that ups my attack power, or do I go for the one that improves my blocking. And that sort of points to the biggest weakness of the game. It is NOT obvious which stat does what. I have no Idea what the doom stat does, for example. An online search in google has proved fruitless.
    All in all, a very enjoyable game.
  32. Cuz
    May 23, 2012
    Wasn't a huge fan of Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 so I guess I wasn't let down too badly by this. I suggest playing with a controller even on the PC, controls just work better that way. Some of the boss battles were fun, woth a playthrough if you can buy it cheap off of a Steam sale.
  33. May 19, 2012
    I'm new to Dungeon Siege so I don't know how this game is different from the old ones. But I find it entertaining, with a gamepad, this game gives Diablo-type feeling; Hack-and-slash style without using much brain power :D which I love it. But the skill system is not good enough, there are 9 skills for each character, but you will end up using one or two skills repeatably, which is boring sometimes. The plot is believable though a bit simple... Char parameters are confusing, I can't tell which is better between Attack and Will, but it seems to me that there is no difference on those parameters.. the rate you kill monsters seems similar for all combination. Expand
  34. Apr 24, 2012
    I believe this game's biggest crime was naming it Dungeon Siege III. I found the game enjoyable as an action RPG-lite style game in a vein similar to the Overlord series, Dragon Age II, and perhaps Trine. Think Gauntlet and you'll be on the right track. Its a decent bit of cartoonish fantasy fun that works better with a gamepad than the traditional keyboard and mouse setup. The game features a dialogue/choice system similar to Bioware's. It's not quite as fleshed out, but not quite as pointless either. Decisions you make are neither good nor bad, just different, and will effect how things carry forth from the point they are made. With the excellent Treasure of the Sun DLC the entire game clocked in at 20 hours for the first play through including all but a few side quests. The previously mentioned choice system and four character classes lends the game a fair bit of potential replay value. I recommend giving this game a look the next time Steam puts it on sale. Expand
  35. Apr 14, 2012
    Just finished this game and DLC with someone else. This game has an really really good storyline, good voice acting for all of the quests, good look along with tons of items to loot. The most eye catching aspect about this game is that as you play this game you have to make choices that effect how the story plays out. Usually the choices have to do with someone's fate or what action should be taken. Combined with the voice acting this is very impressive. Over all a really good RPG game, looking forward to the other DLC that is sure to come for this game.

The only down sides is that it is not what I would call an open world and in multi-player the "3 legged race" feel with the camera takes getting used too. But if you ignore those two things this is a game that is worth you time. Fully say to anyone who likes the screen shots to get this game.
  36. Mar 26, 2012
    If you played the demo, you probably thought the same thing I did: this is looking like a pretty forgettable game. Honestly, the first hour or two really is I think, especially when you look at the price tag associated with this game. I was able to get this game and the two prequels for $9.99 on a Steam sale, so I was content to give it another shot. I think the biggest issue with this game is that it fails to grip you in those first 15 minutes. If you stick around longer than that, then maybe you've gotten to the first town. At around the 30 minute mark you should be walking up to your first dungeon, and consequently the first real challenge the game offers. It was right about there that I really began to enjoy the gameplay. Also, gamepad controls for this are much more superior than the PC controls imo. It just translates better. I think the media's review of the game at around a 70 average would have been fair, IF they hadn't released the game at full new game price. Honestly, I don't see the value there for it. Had they started off at $29.99, I think that would had gone over much better for the rest of us. As it stands, there's some good value here at a decent sale price of $19.99 if you are in the mood for a psudo-Diablo style RPG. If you can snag it for less, and you've enjoyed games of this genre before, I recommend picking this one up for sure. I'm giving it an 8/10 since I am thoroughly enjoying it now that I've got momentum going with it, but since this game has been voted down so bad by the user score I've decided to bump it up to 10/10 to influence the ranking a bit; I don't think it deserves less than 6. Anyway, snag this on sale at the next opportunity you can! Expand
  37. Mar 25, 2012
    This game is terrible, but what makes it so damn tragic is that it could have been awesome. All the crucial elements are there - great graphics, talent trees, two prequels full of lore and atmosphere, and a ridiculous amount of loot - but in the end, you're just mashing the same two buttons over and over again regardless of what's on the screen. There's no strategy, no peril, and no variation - just those same two buttons. Over. And. Over. If you're looking for RPG fun, reinstall the first Dungeon Siege - but avoid this title at all costs. Expand
  38. Koo
    Mar 24, 2012
    I bought this game on Steam pre-order and was looking forward to playing it. The original Dungeon Siege (which was included with my purchase of Dungeon Siege III) was a decent game. The graphics are looking a little dated in DS1 (it was released in 2002) but the storyline was decent, the enemies and environments varied, and there are plenty of interesting weapons and items. NONE of this is true in Dungeon Siege III. The storline is sub-B Movie quality, the enemies are largely cloned, and weapons and items are the biggest letdowns. "Powerful staff" "Magic charms" etc. are the childlike names given to weapons and items in the game. No effort was given to imagination or creativity in this department. The levels themselves are similarly bad. Completely linear, just follow the track, no side explorations possible. The one upside to Dungeon Siege III are the graphics. They're spectacular. Dynamic, beautifully saturated, and candy for the eyes. Graphics, however, don't make the game fun - just easy to look at. This game is lousy, and nice graphics are no substitute for shoddy storytelling, level design, and overall gameplay. A disappointment. 4/10 Expand
  39. Mar 11, 2012
    Seriously, all the hate? I loved DS II (cmon, the scope was epic) and know for sure this game isn¨t anything like it, but to give it anything below five is not objective. It NEVER crashes, period; skill usage and combat are smooth and all the mechanics function perfectly; music is decent and both the voice acting and graphic well above average. Of course, it helps if you realise straight away that it IS a console action game, and all the drawbacks are there: you need some time to adapt to the controls, and they never feel natural to a PC gamer; there is no pause button, and no potions - you need to dodge and block. I absolutely disagree on the customization issue: there is a VERY good chance to customize your character through gear stats, allowing you to focus on crits, overall damage, special stats, or survivability. Depending on theis, your preferred set of skills alter as well. However, abilities and type of gear are fixed to a character class (so that only warrior may use swords, and no other class may learn warrior's abilities - unlike classic Dungeon Siege). Overall, It's a decent console-ported action dungeon crawler. The gameplay has nothing to do with the "previous" DS games, so be warned. Also, the length is somewhat an issue - even with two playthroughs, it didn't take me longer than 20 hours. Expand
  40. Mar 3, 2012
    Obsidian puts the RPG in Action RPG, however navigating your way through the world of Ehb in this iteration is a tad cumbersome. A fiddly interface, uninspired level design and ridiculously hard battles holds the game back.
  41. Jan 27, 2012
    Being a huge fan of Dungeon Siege, I was really anticipating DS3, after playing it I must say that I am disappointed to say the least, I am quite glad it was a gift and I did not waste my own money on it. On it's own, it's not a bad game, that's why I gave it a 4 and not a lower rating, but its NOT Dungeon Siege in any respect. Yet another fantastic PC game title falls victim to the onslaught of cheap inferior console development. The game is about as "linear" as a game can get, nothing like DS, or even DS2. For a console game, by any other name, it would not be all that bad, not all that good, but not bad. However it's not by any other name, it was Dungeon Siege, and if you came here looking for that series, I am sorry to say, you're not going to find it here. Expand
  42. Jan 5, 2012
    Probably the worst controls I have ever come across is a game, completely unintuitive, and you can't even remap keys. What a waste of time this game is.
  43. Jan 4, 2012
    I don't understand why people don't like this game. I personally found this game very entertaining. It had a very nice storyline that was easy to grasp, with easy gameplay mechanics. Sure, the game isn't a super open world type game but I sort of liked that, it kept you from mindlessly exploring and kept you focused on the story. I know this doesn't really work with most games, as I love to go exploring the world, but I felt it was properly placed in this game. The graphics are beautiful, and the level designs are quite basic with little puzzle solving involved. The characters have their own class types and personalities which help you connect better with the characters and itâ Expand
  44. Dec 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While Dungeon Siege 3 certainly is a departure from its hardcore RPG predecessors, it still has many redeeming features. The graphics and performance are fantastic; I never experienced any choppiness, glitches, or crashes. The music and sounds are also very well done; they sounded exceptionally rich and boomy on my Z906 speakers. It works well with Steam for the multiplayer features--that is, when Steam isn't having problems of its own. Finally, the characters and story weren't as trite as one might think given the general dumbing down of the gameplay; I actually found it quite engaging and relished in the chance to strike down Jeyne Kassynder at the end. But the game certainly has a number of problems and short-comings. I feel that the biggest of those is the interface and some of the gameplay mechanics. I almost gave up early on due to the difficulty of using spells (some spells require you to hold down three keys at once), camera restrictions (especially in co-op), and the general clumsiness of the whole interface. One can get used to these drawbacks, but it's never enjoyed. Also a big problem was the lack of character development options; the characters really have little room to deviate given the limited skill choices. And one thing that really just annoyed me was the non-standard item attributes that had no explanation; Doom sounds cool but that doesn't really tell you what it does. In summary, DS3 is definitely worth playing if you're hankering for a co-op RPG and have already played all the rest. But given the choice between DS3 and DS2, I'd suggest the latter first. Expand
  45. Dec 12, 2011
    this game is... ok. dont expect a dungeon siege game even it is called Dungeon Siege 3.
    Publisher would have done better if they had given this game a new name, because it has nothing to do with the old games.
    gameplay is ok, graphics are, story is ok
    but none is good or very good
  46. Dec 3, 2011
    Graphics are OK, story is average. The female char is fun to play. Single player is doable, but multiplayer at least with more than two people is unusable due to the close view. When anyone pushes the edge of the boundary the rest of the party 'may' be dragged along or the view 'may' stick. It needs to be able to have a much higher view or way of moving separately. Even in the same room where we an chat and talk we gave up trying to play this game. After the amazing legacy of multi-playability the previous versions enjoyed this was a very expensive failure. Expand
  47. Dec 3, 2011
    With a lineage of excellent gameplay, Dungeon Siege III is just a terrible game. I was expecting an experience that mimicked the enjoyable gameplay of the last two entries in this series. Instead I say a system that seemed to be developed for console gaming that absolutely failed as a PC game.

I won't hold back, NO AUTO ATTACK!?! In the last two entries, we had auto-cast and
    multi-controls if we wanted to control more than just our character. This game is NOT a continuation of this style of gameplay. It feels like they wanted an active combat system with wonky camera controls and failed to engage the player in the enviroment. Even targeting is absolutley awful.

This should have been simple. click an enemy, you keep attacking till that enemy is dead. Hell even continuous clicks would have been better than what I saw in this game. Click an enemy, you attack it, click a different enemy, you keep attacking the first enemy you clicked on. Hit a button for an ability? Well, sometimes it goes for the enemy you originally clicked on, sometime you just run into a wall and do nothing.

By the way, if you want to play solo, don't pick a ranged character (all but 1 of your three choices). Rushing enemies will hit you faster than the fixed camera controls will allow you to handle. How does a game that was so good before this latestest entry become such a piece of crap? Don't even get me started on the talent tree, because modern game designers seem to think that modern game players are too stupid to handle such a complex scenario!
  48. Vio
    Nov 20, 2011
    Waste of money. I pre-ordered this piece of junk. Fired her up, realized I couldn't strafe, mouse control was terrible, camera was bad, you have to run up to stuff and press E to pick stuff up - you cant just mouse over a item on a shelf and click it! Aside from that the game is utterly linear. Really this isn't dungeon siege at all, its some other game that sucks that just bears its name...
    Did I like it? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO YOU CANNOT DO THIS TO ME NO!!!
  49. Nov 14, 2011
    insert generic console port statement. In addition to a boring storyline, the gameplay is one that I have never been a fan of. I tried this game, thinking it would be like its predecessors, but It was Dark alliance all over again. Just like Baldur's gate, this game style has killed another series. Thanks obsidian. The graphics are par I guess.
  50. Nov 8, 2011
    Ive loved the dungeon siege series. The top view hack n slash with obsene amounts of loot flying all over the screen is pretty fun. The reason i give Dungeon Siege 3 a 6 is well, hmm. This game isnt really at all like DS 2 or 1 the combat i found was quite slow and kinda awkward. I found the camera was far to zoomed in and you didnt really get a full view of your surroundings. The voice overs were ok, the game length was ok, the characters were ok... nothing really special here, just a run of the mill adventure game with nothing really else to it. Im trying to think of something profound that makes this game special but theres really nothing... : / its about worth paying 15-20 bucks for, thats it *shrug* Expand
  51. Oct 20, 2011
    Not like a Dungeon Siege game should be. Its a really obvious console-port and the good old DS feeling is long gone. The gameplay is boring and character progression is not rewarding.
  52. Oct 17, 2011
    Amazing game, very flexible characters (I usually play mage, but it was so fun to play with Anjili and Katarina that I didn't even bother to try mage). The camera can sometimes be annoying but you get used to it specially if you rebind it's controls (I binded right-mouse button to move the camera and disabled the automatic camera). Good plot, nice small changes, and the graphic is amazing. The game-play reminded me a LOT from "Nox" (ahh, good times). Could use a little better voice acting and NPC animations, but other than that very good. I would normally rate this an 8, but thanks to all the mentally impaired that rated it 0~1, I will rate it 10. Expand
  53. Oct 15, 2011
    It took a week with a horrible flue for me to give DS III one more chance. Given my previous low score I was not expecting much from this game. Turns out that was a good thing.
    Dungeon Siege III is typical fantasy tripe. Swords and mages; lots of enemies and loot. Buried somewhere beneath all of the hacking/slashing/blasting action is some semblance of a story, or so it seemed in the
    beginning. On the surface, however, DS III is just another action RPG. And that is not a good thing, since compared the genre at large, it does not stack up well against its modern brethren. .
    DS III lacks the shine and polish of other ARPG titles. Graphics are somewhat dated, and animations are stiff, clunk and repetitive in the extreme. Combat, a major feature of this game, is good but not great. And the camera...the camera is awful. Either a distant, top down view, or some hybrid of top down and almost-but-not-quite over the shoulder, the camera always leaves your eyes straining to see just a little further ahead despite its built-in limitations in this regard. Despite playing for more than 20 hours I never got used to that camera.
    As with Fallout: New Vegas the technical side of things is clearly not Obsidian's strength. Despite their having fixed numerous issues with DS III, some things simply cannot be improved. But what DS III lacks in technical superiority it makes up for in writing.
    See, it turns out there really is a story. Buried under all of that largely useless loot and repetitive hacking and slashing, are numerous choices. Do you save someone or let them die? Improve the lot of a major city or let it flounder? Negotiate new working contracts for downtrodden citizens or let them work as slaves? All of these choices have consequences, though most are only revealed in the ending video following the game's conclusion, making them immersive if somewhat arbitrary.
    And as for that ending...it's good, if you can stomach the truly terrible, JRPG style boss battle that serves as prelude to the ending. Shameless ripping both Final Fantasy and Glenn Cook's The Black Company novels at the same time - and making a predicable mess from the combination of the two - the ending boss battles are some of the worst I have seen since I swore off JRPG games because of, well, terrible boss battles like this one. This multi-stage, oh-it-got-away again frustration fest feels as if it will never end, and it goes from bad to worse at least three times. It is arbitrary, immersion-breaking and easily the worst thing about a not-very-good game to begin with.
    All in all DS III was worth the playthrough for me. I was sick, Skyrim wasn't out yet and I got DS III for free with a new gaming PC so the playthrough cost me nothing. I am glad I played it, but I would not do so again. The graphics are dated, animations outdated and stiff, there is too much useless loot (have we not tired of this yet) and the boss fights are truly awful for the most part. But underneath all of that there remains something endearing about this paragon of an era almost gone in terms of action RPG's.
    Get it if its extremely cheap and you are very into these sorts of games. Otherwise, pass on this one.
  54. Oct 12, 2011
    I played with a wire xbox 360 controller and this is what I got out of it: The game employs a nice blend of fast-paced action and quick-thinking strategy. The spells and abilities are simple, yet as complex as you want them to be. The gameplay is explosive but you can't let your guard down, you will have to think quickly if you want to overcome the challenges. I found it extremely satisfying.
  55. Oct 10, 2011
    if this game is not dungeon siege, it's actually OK. Despite the awkward control on PC, I found it actually quite enjoyable to play through. The story is well done and the closure which gives you a summary for the choices made in the game is satisfying. The combat is a standard hack & slash plus more actions oriented elements. Most RPG elements have been significantly reduced in scope, at least when compared to first two dungeon siege games. There are really only a small handful of active skills to select and a very limited variety in items/drops. while the game is fun in its own unique way, the simplistic nature of the game warrants it only in a mediocre title. Expand
  56. Oct 2, 2011
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!! I cannot believe I actually had to pay money for this filth. The game gives me a head ache. It has a look and a feel that might be ok if you're 4 years old. The controls are so terrible that I had nightmares about them all night. So many good gaming principles were thrown out, only to be replaced by such clumsy and unintelligent **** that I am really wondering about the iq and mental health of everyone involved in creating this foul abomination. Playing the game feels like a task, as if you are a hamster running in a wheel never actually getting anywhere interesting. I'm not sure why this game is even supposed to be an RPG. There is no point and click, not really any normal skill tree, no character creation or development and what on god's green earth is wrong with the items? Oh yeah, and did I mention the sucky interface? The simplicity that worked so well for ds1 and ds2 has been replaced with stupidity. I would rather suck puke through a straw than play this game. Whatever you do, do not buy this game. Play the demo if you have to see for yourself but please do not reward the clowns that produced this garbage by actually buying it. Now I understand why it was half price on steam this weekend. Expand
  57. Oct 1, 2011
    It's a coneole piece of trash that should never have been released on PC. The only way I'd buy this was if it was in the bargain bin for
  58. Sep 30, 2011
    Everything about the games visuals and gameplay are fairly good. But, the one thing that really irritated me is the limited amount of character customizations. RPGs in essence are really all about creating your own hero. The premade characters that your stuck with are nice and okay, but if you really dont feel an attachment to the character your playing in a RPG so then you really start not to care about playing the game. I think the games entire concept is outdated and belongs in 2006-07. Expand
  59. Sep 16, 2011
    I played the demo and that was enough. Honestly, the story didn't seem bad and the graphics looked nice. The downside has been said before: this is a console port. An OBVIOUS port. It's as if they didn't change anything for the PC. The result is an interface that is poor. And not just the fighting controls which are horrible but the rest of the interface is buried under too many clicks. This is not the first RPG ever done by Obsidian but it sure feels like it; I don't know what they were thinking. It's sad because I actually wanted to like this game. But I won't be buying it. Expand
  60. Sep 8, 2011
    I had hoped this game would be good because in my opinion it's been a very bad year for games. Turns out, it isn't. To be open, I have not purchased the game. I have downloaded the demo from Steam and played that. I'd like to give the makers of this game props for providing a demo before release and making it widely available, every game company should do this. But, in this instance the demo didn't do the game any favors as it quickly displays how bad it is. You can't control the camera and the angles are very awkward, keybinds are preset (not customizable) and poorly set at that. No game today should lack a key mapping ability, regardless of console but especially on PC. Graphics were OK, but not great. Honestly didn't see any better eye candy than Dragon Age:Origins which is a couple of years old. So, I am thankful that the demo was made and released as it saved me having to wait for reviews to make a purchase decision. I sincerely hope more game studios start releasing demos because had it been good, Obsidian would have had a preorder from me. Expand
  61. Aug 28, 2011
    I will say up front that I just couldn't bring myself to play this one very much. It was basically not that fun, interesting or compelling. It didn't even strike me as connected to the original in any meaningful way. I think I put more hours into the original Dungeon Seige this week than I did the new one. That one is still mostly fun.
  62. Aug 26, 2011
    A confused and disjointed narrative attempts to deliver an incredibly bland story in this, the most disappointing rpg i've yet played.

graphically average, disappointing sound design add to the games seeming boredom with itself.

No real customization of your characters appearance and an unrewarding multiplayer system which seems to insist that you you ignore it completely for it's almost
    equally un-rewarding single player.

It's just bad, even for an obviously console focused rpg ported poorly across. Skip this, buy it's predecessors which I enjoyed far more then this when given it free for pre-purachasing this tremendous waste of time.
  63. Aug 19, 2011
    This is a game that was worth pre-ordering for the added bonus of the first two games in the series. Looking back at those, I personally believe this game is an improvement, as they've finally added a little RPG elements to the hack and slash carnage. However, I don't believe this game is a major enough improvement for today's capabilities. All in all, it's the kind of game that's quite fun to play once through and never touch again. Expand
  64. Aug 19, 2011
    Surely the graphics is something way outside the Dungeon siege's standards, but goddamn both the story and the camera are a total disgrace, plus i cant even modify my character?What the hell! this is an RPG and not some random adventure game! I hope for teh next diablo 3
  65. Aug 17, 2011
    This garbage makes me actually want to play DA2. The controls in this game are pretty mediocre, I understand that it's ported from console, but come on they could have just used the standard over the top rpg controls... It gets even worse in coop with a shared screen betalween all party members, I honestly fail to see the logic behind that move. The gameplay was actually alright, even kind of fun on certain fights... although the game got progressively easier, I played on the highest difficulty and the only time I died was to a miniboss that you encounter about 30 minutes into the game. Unfortunately everything else was terrible, it had horrible voice acting, you honestly could have taken 5 people off the streets and they could have done a better job. Granted they didn't have much to work with as the story and writing is absolute garbage. They tried to make some kind of Mass Effect dialogue wheel, but there's pretty much 1 choice in the game that will probably have a minute effect on the expansion or dlcs. Sadly this game would have been better if they just removed all the dialogue and plot and just stuck a massive arrow over your characters head which directed you through the game. I'm not fond of giving red scores to games with a budget, but this crap legitimately deserved it, it would suck even if it was from some unknown indie developer. Expand
  66. Aug 11, 2011
    This game is simply garbage. Boring, with poor action elements and simplified to the point where you get like 2 options to choose when "customizing" your hero. The graphics is OK, but everywhere you feel that it was made for consoles and was ported without any tweaking. textures are low resolution, everything is blurred and such. And you get these colour palette designed for 5 year old kids, with rainbows and unicorns. Hello Kitty comparing to DS3 feels like a gloomy show. Characters you can play with are totally lame and even looking at them makes you sick. And when the start talking... OMG! Also I hate those console like dialog menus, with very few conversation options. Probably because they didn't want those 5yo kids to get confused.

You don;t believe me? Go to STEAM and download demo. If after playing it you will be willing to pay for this piece of crap more than 5 bucks, I'll be amazed and simply shocked.
  67. Jul 31, 2011
    Sight of multiplay is too bad.I feel bad in that.
    And this is not dungeon siege siries.How terrible game this is.
    I'll never not buy Square Enix PC game.
  68. Jul 30, 2011
    This 'game' does not the deserve the title 'Dungeon Siege'. Period. This sequel strips you clean of any freedom you used to have. It lacks free traveling, it lacks character customization, it lacks item customization, it lacks an original story line, and it lacks (the will) to replay the campaign again. The worst is you have to play in a camera setting that will frustrate you in matter of seconds. If you only care about graphics, then this is a game you're welcome to experience. Expand
  69. Jul 30, 2011
    Upon playing the demo, I was first dazzled by the polished characters, from the spells to the scenery, cut-scene style conversations with standard-made-famous Bioware conversation options, and the ability to play the game with little to no interface lag on the highest settings (a topic that has been disappointingly absent in a lot of games as of late).

This is where I decided to buy DS3,
    and where the dazzle ended. After those very good aspects of the game, you are left with some glaring technical issues and a bag full of disappointment.

The forums are full to the brim with technical issues which have not been addressed and it is left to the users to finagle a cure to their computer's affliction with the game.

Probably my biggest annoyance with the game was three things:

1) Only four characters, with no customization options at all. I personally love playing magic user type characters, but I simply cannot "get into it" when my character is an overweight, 60 year old which has the appearance of a crazy homeless man.

2) From what I have read (which is part of the problem), your armor changes in sets; therefore, you will not see a change in your character's model until you reach the next set. To me this screams laziness. The developers took a half-assed route on this issue. I was satisfied with the diverse stats on items, but I want to feel heroic, and I cannot feel heroic if I do not look heroic. My 60 year old crazy homeless man does not look heroic wearing his standard shirt model from level one. (I mentioned having to read about this, because even fifteen levels into the game and I still have not seen a model change)

3) Spells and abilities. Need I say more? Each character in DS3 boasts a whopping nine (9) spells/abilities, three (3) of which are purely defensive. This leaves you with six (6) for the purpose of offense. Now lets take Anjali for example. She is a half magic, half melee user. As I said before, I signed up for the magic part, so I have an aversion to using her melee side. This leaves me which three (3) whole spells in which to obliterate my enemies and save the world. Are we heroic, or what? I think I could get past the very small number of spell/ability options, if there was a lot of customization to go along with them. Instead we are left with each spell having two (2) paths in which to "master" the spell, some of which are mostly undesirable.

Needless to say, my Anjali character is content to heroically save the world using nothing but her basic attack and dodging, as using her spells is mostly just a "meh.. I guess I could use the aoe", instead of it being strategically necessary to use the right spell at the right time.

Sadly, after all this typing, I haven't even mentioned the technical issues in detail. I won't go too far into it, but I will say that after two days of playing the game, it suddenly began to cause my computer to shut off. No blue screen, no application failure. Simply shut off. After tweaking the graphical settings, the game runs fine, however it negates part of what I mentioned liking about the game.

Definitely, definitely not worth the $50 price tag.
  70. Jul 28, 2011
    A game that could have delivered a lot more, but came out mediocre in all of it's aspects. First of all it is quite short. Took me 8 hours to beat it with all the side quests. Story is pretty straight forward, without any major twists and drama. Characters also don't have too much depth to them and game almost lacks any interaction between them. While there was an "influence" meter, it failed to attract my attention in any way because the whole point of having high influence was some abysmal buff and achievement. Combat is quite fast paced and fun even with a small selection of skills. Now the problem at this point was that with such a small amount of skills to choose from, it's really weird that only hardcore difficulty forces you to utilize each and every one of them. I've played on normal and probably used only half of the skills in the course of the game. Now that being like 9 skills in total, means i have only used 4-5 skills and only 2-3 extensively, and only on hardcore difficulty i found the need to use most of them. Graphics are quite decent though. Most of the time you will be too busy fighting to pay any attention to the scenery, but during short pauses between fights you can really see that characters and environment is quite detailed. Areas are quite small though and most places consist of some small "corridors", while open areas are far too few. Final fantasy 13 anyone? Good part is that there is quite a lot of areas and you don't have to revisit most of them. Now the real major problem with this game is that it is a pure console port. That being said the game is almost unplayable with standard PC controls. I had to use my PS3 pad in XBOX mode to be able to enjoy this game, which made me wonder, why have i bought it for PC at all. If you don't have any options in this part, i suggest not to bother at all with the game, since playing it on mouse and keyboard is agonizing. With all of the above being said i still find the game attractive enough for a second play through, which shows that while even being mediocre it still manages to deliver. I guess it's just sign of the times. Expand
  71. Jul 26, 2011
    No replayability. What would have been nice would be difficulty levels that required higher and higher levels and had increasingly better loot. This, to me, seems to be a requirements for hack n slash games these days. The stats are kinda boring and you're never sure what stat you should be focusing on. I generally equipped the most expensive piece of gear my character could wear. Now my biggest gripe: The controls for the PC are atrocious. Did they not look at diablo 2? I mean, c'mon Obsidian... You point and click on the ground and you move there... you point and click on an enemy and you attack them. How a game like this doesn't have this control scheme is mind boggling. Part of the problem of being a straight console port with no respect for PC gamers. Expand
  72. Jul 23, 2011
    This game was an utter disappointing. I remember when dungeon siege 2 came out and it was really good but always in the shadow of Diablo. But it had it's unique aspects to it which made it interesting and fun to play. This game is unacceptable, the controls are horrible. The way they have their inventory set up makes it look like something that came out of a horror movie and items disappear after one use. This game deserves a "-10" due to its lack of diversity and terrifying controls. Very, Very disappointed. Expand
  73. Jul 22, 2011
    The graphics aren't too bad, and the game feels fairly polished and smooth, but with a very dull story and shallow combat mechanics it fails to keep you entertained. The camera is also excruciating to use and will ruin the game for many.
  74. Jul 21, 2011
    This game is so horrible, i just had to register to write this "review". i am a die-hard dungeonsiege 1 and 2 fan, i spent half of my university time playing these games with friends. and of course i bought DS3 without playing the demo or reading/waiting for reviews, after all, it's DUNGEON SIEGE and must be good, right? riiiight?

well sadly the controls (even after patch) and the
    camera movements (why do you limit us to two zoom modes omfg ?????) are horribly bad, the dumbed-down xp/leveling system is a joke...
    me and my friends didn't even start playtesting the coop mode, but reading other reviews give us a good hint we would just get more upset at this huge pile of frustration.

if we wanted to buy a CONSOLE GAME we would buy a console. this was a real waste of money and i whish i wouldn't have bought the steam version, then at least i could have second-hand sold it.

uninstalled now, and i hope i find a way to remove it from my games library. VERY disappointed ex-fan!
  75. Jul 21, 2011
    A disappointing, frustrating return to the DS franchise will leave you crying in your gilded gauntlets. This is yet another example of an outstanding PC genre bastardised in order to fit the square peg in the console round hole. Before you label me a console basher I have an XBox and its a great machine for certain genres, but this is not one of them. Single player frustrations include appaling camera angles with no free zoom levels, you have 2 levels of zoom, too close and whhooaaaa!! to close. Overegging of the graphical effects create an level of utter confusion at times that left me unable to find my mouse pointer. Cut scenes are too many, too long and embarrasingly poor graphically. The story is short circa 7-8 hours, being bulked out by hinting at replaying it 4 times using each hero....err no thanks! Also this is the "A-Team" of games where none of the boss characters actually die.....oh political correctness gone mad! Initially controls were non mappable but thankfully that has been fixed. Pets are gone, no more donkey or wolf to help you, nurture and advance. No more chests to store your loot and even the transmute spell has been dumbed down in order to cater for 3 year olds. No health potions and weapons, armor and other goodies are far less exciting and frequent. Multiplayer wise its a total washout for me. Remember the glorious freedom you used to have to split off and nip back to town to flog stuff, buy potions, have a pee, make a cuppa? GONE. The game featured the tag line "Together We are Stronger" basically the get out for the fact you can't free roam anymore. Its a huge disappointment for me, there's no sense of freedom and you cant even get offscreen for respite if you're low on health, you're just stuck in this restricted frame of "un-zoom-outedness" Add to this the fact that you can just join the game at level 30 with a new character, get pimped up to level 30 and complete the game 20 mins later and wheres the sense of achievement gone? Character development is firmly in the bin. I could go on for another 500 words nitpicking at this game but I think its had enough of my time already. Move on! Thanks Microsoft/Square Enix for crushing the life from an old friend and leaving him dieing in the gutter. Expand
  76. Jul 19, 2011
    Sad it had to end this way Dungeon Siege. Such a shame the long awaited Dungeon Siege 3 was developed by another company into some stupid ass simple console RPG. After the many hours I spent playing Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, this game is extremely disappointing. But, we all saw it coming with a company like Obsidian plus console release. Oh well, RIP Dungeon Siege.
  77. Jul 19, 2011
    Thank god for Steam who released a demo version for this game. Tried it and got disgusted with it. DS III is really an insult to the DS series. I strongly recommend potential buyers to try out the demo version before landing it.
  78. Jul 18, 2011
    I created an account JUST to warn about this game. At the time of writing this, I am at the last fight of the game. My save game clock tells me that I've been playing it for 9 hours and 22 seconds. Everyone else who's rated it poorly has said enough about it--it's a pretty damn awful game. If you're at all interested in this game, I would highly suggest that you wait until it's in the bargain bin. $7.50-$10 would be a fair price for this franchise slayer. Expand
  79. Jul 18, 2011
    I normally play Role-Playing Shooters like Borderlands, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc. So, a top-down view hack-n-slash mixed with RPG dialog is a bit of a switch for me. The camera angles kind of threw me off for a while, but I've learned to embrace them for one really important reason: couch co-op. My girlfriend likes games like Torchlight, and far as game play goes, this is really similar. However, it's also action-packed and dialog-heavy enough to keep a hardcore RPG shooter like me interested. My girlfriend and I were able to find this really cool common ground between our gaming preferences, and that to me is absolute gaming magic. I actually got to play a really intense RPG while spending time with someone I love. Normally time with my girlfriend and time with my gaming rig have to fight for the spotlight. Obsidian is arguably a master of RPG's. They've made some of my favorite games of all time such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol, and Fallout: New Vegas. True, they're also known for some bugs here and there, but after successfully completing this game, I can say I didn't experience even one single bug. This game is 100% absolutely rock-solid. Obsidian has masterfully made a great hack-n-slash/dungeon crawler/RPG here that should be easily enjoyable to anyone with an open mind for adventure and violence. I enjoy playing this game alone as well as co-op. In co-op you share loot, and all progress and inventory of the 2nd player is saved. Player 2 can drop out and jump back in any time they want, and when they come back (assuming the host hasn't sold everything) all their favorite weapons, armor, and upgrades will still be there. The host of the game gets to make all the RPG dialog decisions, but you can see an icon on the screen where other players are "voting" for their favored responses. Some people aren't too into the online multiplayer because only the host gets to keep the experience and loot, so single player and couch co-op are clearly the more favorable experiences. However, we started having some severe difficulty toward the very end of the game, so we opened our game to the public. Within minutes, we had two random online players join our cause and we started kicking some butt! The four of us completed the game together, and without spoiling a single thing, let me just say your decisions throughout the game matter.

We laughed, cursed, and simply had a great time. I seriously can't relate to a person who dislikes this game. It was honestly one of the best games I've ever played. If you like games like Fallout (old and new) and you also like playing games like Lego Star Wars with other people, imagine combining those play styles together. The story is very serious, and (as I mentioned) your decisions matter, but along the way you'll laugh and have fun. Upgrades are truly game-changing, and the game just gets better and better the more you advance. I've never played Dungeon Siege 1 or 2, so I have no presumptions of what this game "should have been". I humbly ask that you completely dismiss any reviews herein that compare this game to previous Dungeon Siege games or, worse yet, World of Warcraft (which is an extremely ignorant comparison to begin with). Dungeon Siege III isn't supposed to be those games, it's supposed to be unique and it truly is. I'm coming from the standpoint of judging Dungeon Siege for what it is, and it's great. I'm actually sad that I'm not going to be able to find something else quite like it!
  80. Jul 16, 2011
    A decent buy if you plan to play with a friend. The storyline isn't too fascinating and feels very cliche (in fantasy story terms). The combat starts off pretty bland, but when you start to level up and get your abilities, you start to have fun with the combat. Me and my friend have noted that Lucas talks at random times during our adventures and later found out that this game is suppose to be centered around him. I'm not entirely sure why they focused on more dialogue for him, but whatever the reason, this game is just another typical hack n slash rpg. If you decide to bring a friend, you can have little fun, but I don't think I can finish this game with my friend sadly. Expand
  81. Jul 16, 2011
    I wish developers would stop regurgitating the RPG "formula". This game lacks in all areas that count. The truth is, players already have their favorite RPGs. The only way you can love this game is you're a relatively new gamer to the genre and it's your first experience. If you've every played an RPG before, you've played this one and your former experience was probably better.

As if
    the table above doesnâ Expand
  82. Jul 12, 2011
    It truly feels as if I plugged an XBox DVD of a terrible RPG game into my computer and miraculously got it to run. I can't believe I spend 50 dollars on such an utter failure to this "series". I was an enormous fan of DS1 & 2, this game has zero resemblance to those titles. The controls garbage; storyline garbage; camera garbage; the graphics we're ok; everything else was terrible. Only positives were an easy co-op connection experience (thanks Steam), although you are handcuffed to your co-op partner, there's absolutely no freedom. There's no use in explaining any more shortcomings. Don't buy it, don't even pirate it, it's a waste of your bandwidth. Expand
  83. Jul 10, 2011
    If they wanted to make castlevania meets the witcher, that's all fine and good but DON"T call it Dungeon Siege III. The practice of hijacking franchise names to rob and mislead the fans of good quality earlier PC titles has just got to stop. This is a mediocre at best, totally linear console game dressed up like a good old fashion PC loot crawler. Why they couldn't just stick the damn established formula, or just come up with a new name for whatever this is, is totally beyond me. Don't' believe the hype, It's NOT a sequel. Expand
  84. Jul 10, 2011
    Intended specifically for those who ask: "WHY ALL THE NEGATIVITY?"

This game is a spit in the eye of fans of all kinds. Literally. Let me explain:

DS1 was a great game: you literally started out as a farmer who went bashing heads with his/her pitchfork/hoe/whatever crude tool. On your way you met tons of other characters who you could recruit into your party as peers, thus making it
    essentially a squad-oriented action RPG game, with characters improving their skills and attributes by actually using them, mostly in combat. The combat was semi-automatic, with the player issuing orders as to what enemies to attack, who to move back for healing, what group formation to assume, etc. It was like an action-oriented baldur's gate in 3D (with incredible graphics for that time), with a simple, linear story and a varied, albeit linear world with non-respawning mobs, with a reasonable replayability value.

DS2 set the game in a different place in the same world, took what made DS1 great and made it even better: improved graphics, added talent trees, better group and pet management and controls, adding diablo2-style waypoints, character-specific sidequests, respawning mobs (again, diablo2-style) and incredibly fun LAN multiplayer that was stained only by horrible internet connection problems via GameSpy. It also had great replayability by offering additional difficulty modes (like Diablo-esque "normal-nightmare-hell"), each additional difficulty mode adding 1 more character slot to your party. YAY!

DS3? The only thing it has in common with those two is a few names here and there. - Groups gone.
    - Pets gone.
    - Combat has changed from "passive tactical realtime group control" to a "active single-character battle with the controls".
    - Completely redesigned and horribly stunted controls for PC with no f***ing customization option!
    - Character creation/progression completely redesigned and horribly simplified.
    - Completely linear and very NARROW world. DS1+2 relied on linearity for progression and the world itself was vast and varied.
    - Pathetic itemization.
    - Multiplayer is ridiculously laughable.
    - Industrial-age Britain? Gremlins?! ROBOTS?!!
    +- An average story.
    - An average story/background combining elements from DS1 lore with unrelated DS2 lore, adding immolated women, Gremlins and ROBOTS for f***'s sake.
    + The humour was mostly okay.
    + Better graphics.

It if hadn't been named "Dungeon Siege", I could have easily seen it as a game with a 6-7 score. The graphics are good, voice acting was okay (why are there so many people with strange - read "Slavic" - accents in this game?) the humour often made me laugh, I don't mind the style of the cutscenes, and there are bits and pieces of the game that I really liked and enjoyed. Yes, it could have been longer, the controls better, etc. That didn't bother me all that much. Well, it did bother me but it wouldn't have, if I hadn't been constantly reminded of the fact that it's supposed to be a "Dungeon Siege" game. The horribly cobbled together lore, the characters constantly referencing names and/or places from the previous games simply gave me no pause. This game is NOT a successor of DS1+2 in any way, shape or even form.

And that's why it's a spit in the eye of fans.
  85. Jul 9, 2011
    Truly this is an awful game. Much worse than first and second installment of the title. The character creation and development is very limited and superficial in comparison toprevious games. We just get premade characters and do not have the freedom to develop them as we please, but we simply must follow the straightforward paths made by game designers.Graphic is unequal - some aspects like outdoor environment looks good, but animations and indoors looks poor, story is as uninteresting as it goes, camera and controls work awkwardly, all battles are just bland boring buttonsmashing. Avoid! Expand
  86. Jul 7, 2011
    I bought this game thinking it would be fun multi-player, even after I tried the demo, which was stupid. The multi-player portion of the game is awful, for PC anyway. The whole game is awful, I logged in about an hour trying to play multi-player with a buddy and haven't loaded it up since, bye bye $50.
  87. Jul 6, 2011
    Having been a fan of the DS series, I could not wait to lay my hands on 3 when it came out. Oh how I wish I came here to read the reviews first, but typically, sequels, even bad sequels, do not deviate from the game too much. That has not been the case with DS3...the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. This game first and foremost is a console game...why they even bothered to package it for the PC is beyond me. I agree with other comments that if this were not being labeled as a DS game, it probably would have gotten better reviews. Although a solid game in and of itself, it should never have gotten the DS title. The only reason I even gave it a 3 was because it entertained my son for 2 days during our move, and was a good babysitter. But I bought the game for us to play coop and sadly, the replay value just is not there... Expand
  88. Jul 4, 2011
    Dungeon Siege 3, although not a good as it's predecessors, is still a fun and enjoyable game to play. The arcade style controls makes it great for the console player, however, PC Gamers will not like the clunky, non configurable controls. Using a gamepad for the PC quickly solves the control issue, but some PC Gamers feel that this is a sin to do! The graphics on the game are better than any previous version. The loot system, as well as the inventory and item configuration leaves much to be desired. Constantly clicking on the right button (on the XBOX 360 controller for the PC) is a pain. There are some attributes gained from certain gear that needs some explanation also. Despite the flaws, Dungeon Siege 3 is an enjoyable game, but not a must have. Expand
  89. Jul 3, 2011
    for the 6 people who rated it 10/10 , come on now... that is absurd.
    there is noway this game is a perfect 10 for 10, even if you do like it the graphics alone perfect?
    game of the year? that is also crazy talk
  90. Jul 2, 2011
    Whilst not a bad game in it's own right, Dungeon Siege III has little in common with it's predecessors apart from title. The game plays more like The Guardian of Light minus the puzzles and teamwork, with Mass Effect's dialogue system mashed in and the Dungeon Siege label slapped on for good measure. There's little to no character and party customisation which was widely featured in the previous titles and while there are plenty of items, your character is basically restricted to preset armour and weapon types. Skill choices are limited; in fact you'll unlock all of the available skills for your character (9 total) roughly half-way through the game, though there is a bit of personalisation in this department with 2 separate talent sets per skill to pick between, along with a few passive talents for your character as well.

The game has few technical issues, the most outstanding being the abysmal PC controls. This is easily remedied with a game pad, however the fixed camera in multiplayer will leave you constantly fighting your co-op mates rather than, well...cooperating with them. Luckily this is less of an issue in single player, with a zoomed in third-person view also available that is unfortunately disabled in multiplayer.

Those going into the game with expectations that it would follow in the footsteps of it's predecessor will be left rightfully disappointed. However, Dungeon Siege III is a solid, if not simplistic, game; offering a fun single or multiplayer romp through the world of Ehb. Well, at least if you have a game pad.
  91. Jul 1, 2011
    Bland, forgettable, generic: this is DS3. Ironically, on paper DS3 sounds good: nice combat, nice graphics, lots of loot, and a story with choices. In reality, the combat is clunky. Worst PC controls EVAR, no joke. The loot and inventory system is tedious. The story is hilarious in how seriously it takes itself...too bad nobody else takes it seriously. But at least the graphics are nice, hah. Truth is Diablo 2, Titan's Quest, and Torchlight all do everything better. DS3 is just a throw-away game. A real shame too...it could have been something special. Expand
  92. Jul 1, 2011
    This game had beautiful graphics to it but that is honestly about the extent of it. The game was VERY short for the price tag that the company was asking for it. I would ask around 19.99 for this game and that is being generous. It had a somewhat ok story line that ended all to quickly unlike the past dungeon sieges that kept you playing for hours. The transitions of the story were HORRIBLE as if no imagination what so ever but to simply draw out a picture of something and post words to it. This game can be gone through in less than one day without breaks easily. The controls were absolutely horrible!!!! I did not get used to the controls up until almost the end of the game. For someone looking to blow some money for NOTHING it is great. For someone looking for a really great hard core game you can enjoy for many hours, It is NOT for you. They have seriously let me along with I am sure many others down that truly expected something better from the dungeon siege series. Expand
  93. Jun 30, 2011
    Dungeon Siege III is possibly worth a rent if you've already played all the classics in this genre and simply can't wait for the next Torchlight or Diablo, but that's about it... the game's not really meant for a single player; it's more for co-op or on-line... and the game's ridiculously linear, which is somewhat good because you can fast forward through all those agonizingly boring cut scenes and "just move forward" in the game to find your next quest... not really a lot of actual dungeons either... grinding isn't bad although with the character I played the standard boss fight strategy was a timed heal spell, attack, dodge, run away, repeat... graphics were decent and I used an Xbox360 controller (on my PC) which felt natural, although my character tended to waste time flourishing/finishing moves instead of dodging out of the way when I needed her to... there's no potions in this game either, so max out that healing spell ASAP... can I recommend DSIII? No, but it's not terrible. Expand
  94. Jun 27, 2011
    Dungeon Seige 3 shares little in common with the previous 2 games in the series other than it's name and the fact that there are some dungeons that need sieging. This game is more of a hack and slash action game like Gauntlet Legends or Legends of Norrath. I'm finding the single player story enjoyable since I happen to own a PC gamepad. The Keyboard and Mouse controls are aweful and it seems like no one bothered to playtest how they worked. The online mode is terrible, with a top down shared camera that clutters the screen so much I often lose track of where my character is. The other downside is that you can't take your character into another person's game to earn loot and exp for yourself, playing online has you joining another person's story and you assuming control of one of the NPC players they have recruited, (and hope they choose some good skills). Expand
  95. Jun 27, 2011
    If you played DS1 or 2 and think this is going to be like that DONT! This game blows and I mean in the worst possible ways. Here are a few pros and cons. Pros: Graphics are acceptable. Cons: 1. no auto save. you have to run to the light cones to save and you get 40 slots. 2. no potions. 3 you and one other member in parties. no more 5 man team as in DS1 or 2. 4 Totally liniar and i mean it.
    5 you have to click the E key to pic up or interact with ANYTHING other than gold.
    6. NO keyboard binding customization options
    7. POOR to non exsistent character development.
    8. POOR storyline.
    9 POOR voice acting and cut scenes. like my character will be facing away looking at the sky from the npc hes supposed to be talking to.

And much much more......short version...DONT BUY THIS! Wait for Torchlight 2 in JULY and that might gets us through to D3 :)
  96. Jun 27, 2011
    Do not fool yourselves, this is first and foremost a console game and has little relation to the previous titles which were alot more diverse and fun. However grab an xbox controller and there are a few hours of fun to be had in this sequel as long as you enjoy this type of games. This is not a full dollar game, I would wait for a significant price cut (
  97. Jun 26, 2011
    Dungeon Siege 3 is a game that upon release has become overlooked and under-appreciated by many players.

A very important part of a game and its congruence with the playerbase is the control scheme and accessibility. Where Dungeon Siege has been cited as lacking is in the control. What I think many people have failed to recognise is that there is more than one control option beyond using
    the mouse to move. In both of my playthroughs of the game I used the WASD movement as opposed to mouse oriented movement, and making me feel after reading these reviews that I am the only one who has used WASD movement. Also the added feature of gamepad support puts this game above many other modern games even in 2011 that do not have gamepad support. I felt more comfortable using the WASD keys than using an X360 gamepad.
    What is important to note that difficulty with controls is a problem with the player, not the game. I felt it was easy to maneuver, dodge and take a somewhat tactical approach to fighting enemies.

In terms of story, this game certainly lacks length but it does not lack content. The consistency of themes, the distinguishable characters and locations, the fluency of conversation and addition of many side quests make this game an outstanding game story-wise. Story is one of this games features that outshines it's predecessors. Having played Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 multiple times through, I know how easy it is to lose sight of quests or plot while dungeon running. Dungeon Siege 3 has countered this problem, giving what could be labeled as 'mindless-action' a sense of purpose and strong reward in the storyline and not just in terms of loot.

Graphically the game is far-beyond any dungeon based role-playing game prior. The attention to detail throughout each town, dungeon and environment exacts the distuinguishable differences between all places in the game. There is little repetitiveness, which is encountered in DS1&2, another superior feature that DS3 holds. Each dungeon is vastly different, and there is no repeated character models or world objects.

Negatives of DS3 are of course the difficulty with which many casual players would not be used to. It is a very different game to previous DS games and is also very different to many other dungeon based games. That being said, the best game experience will be had on the hardest difficulty.

In an industry where re-hashes, ports, hype and repetitiveness is garnering success, Dungeon Siege 3 was bound to receive negative reviews. Many players are scared to try something new or are scared to deal with a little bit of challenge. When you play this game with an unbiased view, when you seek to enjoy and not to criticise you will find that this 'gem in the rough' is a possible contender for 2011 GOTY.
  98. Jun 26, 2011
    So, the common complaints are controls, loot, storyline, deviation from Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. I will agree a bit with the controls had I not had an XBox 360 controller to use. The controller made this game very enjoyable with regards to a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. It is easy to switch between powers and move around IF you have the controller. I would avoid the mouse and keyboard completely. Second, the loot is a bit typical with 4 classes (white, blue, green and the rare orange items). I had armor at the end that gave me wings of fire (rare). However, most items are based on the character you want to build. i.e. One that heavily blocks or one that is fast and attacks full-on. As far as the storyline, ignore the comments of predictability. You are given choices and the storyline changes based on those choices. The ending sequences are like Fallout 3, based on what you accomplished and the decisions you made. Finally, while this is a deviation from the standard Dungeon Siege combat system, it is enjoyable if you manage to have a controller. I know, why use a controller on PC. Because, I have the option to do so. This game is not for everyone and many diehard Dungeon Siege fans will hate it. However, as a stand-alone game, it is rather enjoyable and easily addictive. The biggest part will be playing a 4 person squad in multiplayer. So, why did I give it a 9? Simple, the messed up keyboard and mouse controls that force you to use the controller. And, at times, you will find the camera at odd angles and unable to see anything except a wall. I purchased this game and received Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 free, so it was worth $45. However, if you are going to buy this game only without 1 and 2 attached, I would not spend over $35 on it. Overall, I do not regret buying this game or using the controller to play it. Expand
  99. Jun 25, 2011
    There are 2 problems with this game: 1) it's called "dungeon siege 3" and 2) the keyboard/mouse and camera controls are awful. It's really designed to be played with a game pad on a console, and it loses a lot of the fun elements of the first 2 games such as running a large party, finding exciting loot and tweaking out your character as you level, and the UI for managing your character and inventory and shopping is much more awkward. Taken for what it is its a fun console hack and slash, but they really changed too much of the formula that made the previous 2 games fun for me. Expand
  100. MGT
    Jun 25, 2011
    This game is totally AWful - The grapics are about the only good thing there is to this game. You can read my full review here: http://mygametake.com/profiles/blogs/hands-on-dungeon-siege-3
  101. Jul 16, 2013

the developers to make an update patch which makes it so.

When you play then, you will need to do this:

Don't be afraid to try this game. Just be prepared for a modern take.

1. Oct 26, 2011
    One of the biggest differences in this game is that you exert a lot of control over your main character.
  2. Aug 30, 2011
    Ultimately, Dungeon Siege III is an easy-to-play popcorn journey into the classic action-RPG genre, hitting every checkbox. There is little innovation here, but it offers plenty of examples of how good design and development practices can make a derivative game enjoyable - and how a pretty severely console-designed game can be adjusted to feel largely right on a PC.
    Don't be discouraged by the slow and dumb beginning of the game – you'll be rewarded by many hours of fun. Strong story and cooperative multiplayer are more than worth your attention. [Issue#207]