Dungeon Siege III PC

4.7

1. Jul 31, 2014
    I see lots of hate for Dungeon Siege 3 here, but paradoxically, this is much more interesting than the first two click-fest Diablo clones that bored me quite a lot in their days. Interesting characters, important decisions in branching dialog lines, maybe way too traditional, but well-formed story. The problem is with the game mechanics that have been too consolized, which is fixable withI see lots of hate for Dungeon Siege 3 here, but paradoxically, this is much more interesting than the first two click-fest Diablo clones that bored me quite a lot in their days. Interesting characters, important decisions in branching dialog lines, maybe way too traditional, but well-formed story. The problem is with the game mechanics that have been too consolized, which is fixable with a good controller, but even then, in this day and age, this kind of battle mechanics just isn't good enough anymore with complex and responsive fighting mechanics in gems like Dark Souls, this feels really subpar, add very chaotic inventory system, overall not very intuitive UI and you got a serious problem. Another problem I see is in the choice of the title, this game has basically nothing to do with previous ones and it only adds to the hate from the fans of previous Dungeon Sieges, newcomers won't like to get into it either as they didn't play previous chapters, all would be much better if this was completely new title and new IP. But in the end, mainly thanks to the story, my final impression were still quite positive. 6/10 Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2012
    Obsidian puts the RPG in Action RPG, however navigating your way through the world of Ehb in this iteration is a tad cumbersome. A fiddly interface, uninspired level design and ridiculously hard battles holds the game back.
  3. Jun 7, 2013
    Having never played the previous two Dungeon Siege games, I thought I’d give this one a go anyway and overall I must admit it impressed me. It starts off feeling a bit mediocre the levels are literally a straight line, the character control is strange, and you don’t have any abilities or companions in order to pull off good combat strategies. However, after the first hour or so the gameHaving never played the previous two Dungeon Siege games, I thought I’d give this one a go anyway and overall I must admit it impressed me. It starts off feeling a bit mediocre the levels are literally a straight line, the character control is strange, and you don’t have any abilities or companions in order to pull off good combat strategies. However, after the first hour or so the game really starts to pick up and only gets better and better from then on.

To begin with, the player gets a choice to play the game with one of the 4 characters. It might seem like a step back considering there’s no character creation feature, but these 4 characters really do cover all of the main archetypes we have Lucas, who is a paladin-like tank, Anjali, who is pretty much a pyromancer through and through, Katarina, who is a thief-like ranged fighter, and Reinhart, who is a scholar utilising all sorts of arcane sorceries. One of the impressive features of this game is that once you’ve chosen your character, the other 3 characters will become your companions during the game after certain story points. You can only have one companion at a time, but once you have them in your ‘party’ so to speak, you can swap between them at any time outside of combat.

Throughout the game you will level up and learn new abilities. There are only 9 abilities per character, but each of those can then be improved via the use of skills, which mold the said abilities in either of two possible directions. For example Lucas’ shield pummel ability can be given more damage or more chance to knock down the opponents, and so on. And finally, each character also has talents that can be levelled up. These are more like passive abilities, which cause your character to have higher attack, or better defence, or to simply gain more chances of healing upon damaging the enemies, and so on. What’s even better is that as you go through the game, you are choosing skills and talents not only for your character, but also for your companions, making their fighting style more suitable to your liking.

Apart from levelling up and gaining abilities, other standard RPG elements are present too, such as inventory management and having to optimize your gear and that of your companions as you travel through various areas and face various opponents. Although it can be fun finding cool equipment and making your character use it, the whole inventory management can feel like a bit of a drag during the times when your inventory gets full and you need to discard useless items, because we all know, in the world of RPGs, hoarding is one of our favourite hobbies.

The game mostly plays in an isometric perspective, similar to games like Diablo and Titan Quest. The combat mechanics are generally good, although the battles can seem to fluctuate between too easy and too hard at times, since the game doesn’t really feature any potions or other healing items. Any healing you get is either from your abilities or from the orbs that the enemies drop upon getting killed. So in essence, the more aggressive you are in battle, the better are your chances of staying alive, or at least that’s how I found it when playing the game as Lucas. This in turn gives forth some rather challenging boss battles, as you will find yourself fighting for your own survival.

Perhaps what I liked the most about Dungeon Siege III is how well it executes the concept of making your own choices and decisions, and having to experience what happens as a result. A lot of those tend to occur during the dialogues, which take the player to an over-the-shoulder view and add to the immersion. There are plenty of decisions thrown at you throughout the game some small, others big. The ending itself pretty much includes the outcomes of every decision you’ve made in the game, which should make the player curious as to what would happen had they made other choices.

Overall the game feels fun and engaging. Lots of control is given over your character’s skills, as well as the skills of your party. Additionally, good voice acting and the presence of moral choices make it more than just your typical hack and slash sword and sorcery RPG.
  4. Jun 24, 2011
    THE GOOD: Switching stances to execute different attacks is a good idea. The graphics, while not being outstanding, are well polished. The sound design is pretty good. THE BAD: Boring loot table, a leveling system that is not engaging at all. THE UGLY: The controls are horrible on the PC, but that wouldn't be so bad if we could remap key bindings. But we can't. What the hell?

Side Rant:

Side Rant: One of the fun things about dungeon crawlers is finding cool loot, not only items that do cool things but look cool. I can barely tell that I'm wearing different armor or weapons, and I have a suspicion that most of the armor models are identical. Look at Torchlight as a good example of loot done well.
  5. Jun 21, 2011
    Ok, it's a different developer. The GFX are passable, the game doesn't crash for me and you do kill lots of things by clicking on them.
    There, that's the good stuff. The bad stuff. Maaaaan.
    There, that's the good stuff. The bad stuff. Maaaaan.

1) Poor control options. Mouse is set up (and noner configurable) to the exact opposite of every other action RPG I have ever played (Titan Quest, WoW, Sacred, Diablo and all their sequels). A 360 controller works ok, but this is a PC game...geddit?
    2) Companion AI is TERRIBLE. If you play with a strategy in mind.. Tank, Heal, DPS whatever, then prepared for your AI companion to be hopeless. Pick a DPS/paper armour like Katerina, and expect to have to gain aggro with every mob you meet while you heavily armoured "tank" sidekick wanders around like an idiot on the periphery. If you play "Cecil" (the Tank character) then it's just about bearable, for any other class it takes whatever tiny little window of tactics this game had left and flushed them straight down the toilet.
    3) Multi-player. Go online and watch every one wanting to host and no-one wanting to join. Why? because you only progress in the game if you are the host! Obsidian? Seriously? in a game whose core attraction is constant progression, where levelling and improving is the very core gameplay mechanic of the genre....did you really think this was a smart move?

As a WoW player I had little interest in MP gaming with DS3 anyway. The dull "button mash" single player mechanic is a ruiner for me.

And don't get me on the horrible GUI, lack of inventory control, minimal character customization and mouse hunting during gameplay (very precise clicks are required to do real hardcore stuff like......save the game)

If the game had a decent one player mode OR a decent multiplayer mode I could have given it a 4 or 5 as a basic "button masher" for kiddies. But as it messes both of those up and lumbers them with a counter intuitive interface, then 2/10 is all I can offer. And I'm trying to remember why it deserves the second of those.
  6. Aug 26, 2011
    A confused and disjointed narrative attempts to deliver an incredibly bland story in this, the most disappointing rpg i've yet played.

graphically average, disappointing sound design add to the games seeming boredom with itself. No real customization of your characters appearance and an unrewarding multiplayer system which seems to insist that you you ignore it completely for it's almost

No real customization of your characters appearance and an unrewarding multiplayer system which seems to insist that you you ignore it completely for it's almost equally un-rewarding single player.

It's just bad, even for an obviously console focused rpg ported poorly across. Skip this, buy it's predecessors which I enjoyed far more then this when given it free for pre-purachasing this tremendous waste of time.
  7. Mar 25, 2013
    Dungeon Siege III is a great game with top down 3rd person hack and slash action. Visuals are well done and really has a darker richer look to it than say, Torchlight. The Story was decent enough to have me interested and keep going but ended in a somewhat disappointing fashion. Although, the presentation was great, using a storybook type of slideshow telling of the choices I had madeDungeon Siege III is a great game with top down 3rd person hack and slash action. Visuals are well done and really has a darker richer look to it than say, Torchlight. The Story was decent enough to have me interested and keep going but ended in a somewhat disappointing fashion. Although, the presentation was great, using a storybook type of slideshow telling of the choices I had made throughout the game. It would be great if I had more than one companion to follow me around but i guess its better than no one. The Game really is more geared towards using a controller to play as opposed to keyboard and mouse. Overall, it was a great game along with the DLC Treasures of the Sun. Expand
  8. Aug 23, 2012
    The nicest thing I can say about this game is it looks pretty. The interface is obviously designed for a console and is awkward on PC. This game in no way resembles a dungeon siege game. In the first two the mythology was kinda stupid but you played the first one for the stunning graphics. The second game took on sort of a diablo 2 feel and was more of a grind but still had its moments ofThe nicest thing I can say about this game is it looks pretty. The interface is obviously designed for a console and is awkward on PC. This game in no way resembles a dungeon siege game. In the first two the mythology was kinda stupid but you played the first one for the stunning graphics. The second game took on sort of a diablo 2 feel and was more of a grind but still had its moments of surreal beauty. In this game the mythology is all that is left. They took what should have been mature interesting characters (as per the cover graphics) and turned them into colorful little cartoon blobs. I'd say the biggest problem with this game is its target audience. This game should have 10-14 written in big letters on the title. It is a children's game. The gear doesn't matter so your son or daughter can play to their hearts content with whatever colorful thing catches their fancy.

Anyone who enjoyed the first two games and shelled out money for this got ripped off. I personally burned $30. I would be mad as hell if I payed the $60 they wanted when it first came out. I will nearly always beat a computer game I've payed for at least once. Even if it becomes tedious. Just so I feel like I got my dollars worth. This game is so bad I just couldn't.
  9. ave
    Apr 25, 2015
    It's hard for me to be kind to Dungeon Siege III mostly because it took me about ten hours of "not-really-fun" time to understand the gameplay and adjust accordingly. I guess it comes from the fact the game has been design for console and not PC.

The "wall of uninviting gameplay" featured controls to remap to the keyboard, hard to decipher stats, forced choice on skills and buffs, weird combat moves and talk sessions with bland characters.

Once passed that, it was possible for me to "play" the game but not really "enjoy" it ; unlike Dungeon Siege I & II that featured the one and only gameplay element I love in the serie : the squad. Shame.
  10. Jul 1, 2011
    Bland, forgettable, generic: this is DS3. Ironically, on paper DS3 sounds good: nice combat, nice graphics, lots of loot, and a story with choices. In reality, the combat is clunky. Worst PC controls EVAR, no joke. The loot and inventory system is tedious. The story is hilarious in how seriously it takes itself...too bad nobody else takes it seriously. But at least the graphics are nice,Bland, forgettable, generic: this is DS3. Ironically, on paper DS3 sounds good: nice combat, nice graphics, lots of loot, and a story with choices. In reality, the combat is clunky. Worst PC controls EVAR, no joke. The loot and inventory system is tedious. The story is hilarious in how seriously it takes itself...too bad nobody else takes it seriously. But at least the graphics are nice, hah. Truth is Diablo 2, Titan's Quest, and Torchlight all do everything better. DS3 is just a throw-away game. A real shame too...it could have been something special. Expand
  11. Oct 10, 2011
    if this game is not dungeon siege, it's actually OK. Despite the awkward control on PC, I found it actually quite enjoyable to play through. The story is well done and the closure which gives you a summary for the choices made in the game is satisfying. The combat is a standard hack & slash plus more actions oriented elements. Most RPG elements have been significantly reduced in scope, atif this game is not dungeon siege, it's actually OK. Despite the awkward control on PC, I found it actually quite enjoyable to play through. The story is well done and the closure which gives you a summary for the choices made in the game is satisfying. The combat is a standard hack & slash plus more actions oriented elements. Most RPG elements have been significantly reduced in scope, at least when compared to first two dungeon siege games. There are really only a small handful of active skills to select and a very limited variety in items/drops. while the game is fun in its own unique way, the simplistic nature of the game warrants it only in a mediocre title. Expand
  12. Jul 20, 2013
    This is the first Dungeon Siege game that I have played and I really did enjoy it. The story, graphics, fighting, and character customization were all well done. Unfortunately, for everything this game does right, you will only remember it for what it did wrong... the camera. This is hands down the most frustrating thing you will encounter outside of a few annoyingly difficult bosses. TheThis is the first Dungeon Siege game that I have played and I really did enjoy it. The story, graphics, fighting, and character customization were all well done. Unfortunately, for everything this game does right, you will only remember it for what it did wrong... the camera. This is hands down the most frustrating thing you will encounter outside of a few annoyingly difficult bosses. The camera angles tend to be almost directly overhead and always seem to rotate around to the worst viewpoint possible. Maybe the camera is only a co-op issue, but be warned. Expand
  13. Sep 30, 2011
    Everything about the games visuals and gameplay are fairly good. But, the one thing that really irritated me is the limited amount of character customizations. RPGs in essence are really all about creating your own hero. The premade characters that your stuck with are nice and okay, but if you really dont feel an attachment to the character your playing in a RPG so then you really startEverything about the games visuals and gameplay are fairly good. But, the one thing that really irritated me is the limited amount of character customizations. RPGs in essence are really all about creating your own hero. The premade characters that your stuck with are nice and okay, but if you really dont feel an attachment to the character your playing in a RPG so then you really start not to care about playing the game. I think the games entire concept is outdated and belongs in 2006-07. Expand
  14. Sep 16, 2011
    I played the demo and that was enough. Honestly, the story didn't seem bad and the graphics looked nice. The downside has been said before: this is a console port. An OBVIOUS port. It's as if they didn't change anything for the PC. The result is an interface that is poor. And not just the fighting controls which are horrible but the rest of the interface is buried under too many clicks.I played the demo and that was enough. Honestly, the story didn't seem bad and the graphics looked nice. The downside has been said before: this is a console port. An OBVIOUS port. It's as if they didn't change anything for the PC. The result is an interface that is poor. And not just the fighting controls which are horrible but the rest of the interface is buried under too many clicks. This is not the first RPG ever done by Obsidian but it sure feels like it; I don't know what they were thinking. It's sad because I actually wanted to like this game. But I won't be buying it. Expand
  15. Jul 19, 2011
    Sad it had to end this way Dungeon Siege. Such a shame the long awaited Dungeon Siege 3 was developed by another company into some stupid ass simple console RPG. After the many hours I spent playing Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, this game is extremely disappointing. But, we all saw it coming with a company like Obsidian plus console release. Oh well, RIP Dungeon Siege.
  16. Jul 16, 2013
    I loved DS3. However I can see the problems people have had. Please let me lay those fears aside though.

One primary complaint was, when the game was first released the controls were not re-mappable. Meaning you could not change which keys do what. That did make control awkward and it was unfair for left handed players. However the controls are now re-mappable. Community backlash got the developers to make an update patch which makes it so.

Anyway pressing on. When I first played the demo, I was shocked how different it was from the first two games. Then replaying the demo a few times I slowly grew to love it, (and I was increasingly attracted by the graphics). I looked forward to the day I bought the game. One aspect that stood out, was movement is by keys, rather than clicking on the map like previous DS. Combat in DS3 is click once per strike, whereas before in DS you could make it auto-fire. (There is no archer character by the way, and instead a shooter and all characters weapon sets are pre-determined.)

When you play then, you will need to do this:
    For PC mouse and keyboard, you can re-configure the control keys. I have put 'A' and 'D' to straife/move left and right. I use the 'hold middle mouse', for camera rotate. (Someone, I read mapped that to RMB.) Of course you can use the 'mouse to the edge of screen' for camera rotate, like DS1+2. I found control very good once quiclky adjusted.

The second major complaint folk have is that the game 'checkpoints' spoil it. Let me put again put fears quickly aside over this:
    The save beacons are not checkpoints. Use each save beacon repeatedly to save your game as often as you like. You receive a health to maximum when you do too. Also you can overwrite saved games in the save window, so you don't accumulate to many. Sometimes though it might be an idea not to overwrite.

I would also say explore everything. Furthermore I have found treasure chests I missed, by going back to have another look round where I was before. Revisiting old areas very often makes you bump into new enemies put there for you. These all add up in your XP so you can level up more, before moving on in the game. Plus by defeating more baddies, you get more gold and items so there's a chance of getting better kit.

DS3 on release had control problems, but I have however mentioned all the ways I can to maximise your fun. I explore slowly as I thought I would. I meander about because the scenery is gorgeous. The countryside parts, paths in woods I mean, are exciting and the first village is quaint and beautiful. The story is good and quickly got fully involving and exciting. There are no downfalls, the game is charming, and other positive reviewers confer with how DS3 is. Furthermore, it's twenty-five hours plus game-play, which contradicts the claims of twelve hours set out by some.

Don't be afraid to try this game. Just be prepared for a modern take.
    (Remember it was a long time coming from DS2, when dungeon type games were different. Once you adjust, and very quickly get comfortable with the controls, it looks just like a modern Dungeon Siege.)
  17. Nov 8, 2011
    Ive loved the dungeon siege series. The top view hack n slash with obsene amounts of loot flying all over the screen is pretty fun. The reason i give Dungeon Siege 3 a 6 is well, hmm. This game isnt really at all like DS 2 or 1 the combat i found was quite slow and kinda awkward. I found the camera was far to zoomed in and you didnt really get a full view of your surroundings. The voiceIve loved the dungeon siege series. The top view hack n slash with obsene amounts of loot flying all over the screen is pretty fun. The reason i give Dungeon Siege 3 a 6 is well, hmm. This game isnt really at all like DS 2 or 1 the combat i found was quite slow and kinda awkward. I found the camera was far to zoomed in and you didnt really get a full view of your surroundings. The voice overs were ok, the game length was ok, the characters were ok... nothing really special here, just a run of the mill adventure game with nothing really else to it. Im trying to think of something profound that makes this game special but theres really nothing... : / its about worth paying 15-20 bucks for, thats it *shrug* Expand
  18. Nov 20, 2012
    I'm disappointed in the low scores so many people are giving this game. I enjoyed this game a lot more than Dragon Age 2, and almost as much as Origins. The world is vivid, and the storyline, while not being super creative, is interesting enough to keep me engaged all the way through. This game kept me at my computer way too much until such time as I finished it. Addictive, immersive andI'm disappointed in the low scores so many people are giving this game. I enjoyed this game a lot more than Dragon Age 2, and almost as much as Origins. The world is vivid, and the storyline, while not being super creative, is interesting enough to keep me engaged all the way through. This game kept me at my computer way too much until such time as I finished it. Addictive, immersive and enjoyable all the way through. Expand
  19. Jun 5, 2012
    Simply not fun. I love action RPGs, and I picked this game up for crazy cheap, but when I was on my way to the Heroes Crypt (I'm going to assume it's halfway), I realized that I was simply not having fun. I guess the combination of repetitive enemies, boring click-fest combat, bad voice acting, horrible engine optimization, and HORRENDOUS controls are enough to ruin this game. I'm all forSimply not fun. I love action RPGs, and I picked this game up for crazy cheap, but when I was on my way to the Heroes Crypt (I'm going to assume it's halfway), I realized that I was simply not having fun. I guess the combination of repetitive enemies, boring click-fest combat, bad voice acting, horrible engine optimization, and HORRENDOUS controls are enough to ruin this game. I'm all for getting my money's worth out of things, but I'm not going to force myself to play something that isn't fun out of some misguided sense of duty. Before you buy this game, play through the demo and ask yourself "is it worth it?" and then play through the demo 5 more times and ask "is it still worth it?" Expand
  20. Jul 5, 2013
    Very underrated game in this genre. Sure it's multiplayer sucks with its restrictions, but as a single player game I found this game to be far more interesting than the likes of Diablo 3. I'm writing this review a long time after the game's release and I bought it on day one. You can easily find this game on the web for a ridiculously low price and it's worth more than every penny. TheVery underrated game in this genre. Sure it's multiplayer sucks with its restrictions, but as a single player game I found this game to be far more interesting than the likes of Diablo 3. I'm writing this review a long time after the game's release and I bought it on day one. You can easily find this game on the web for a ridiculously low price and it's worth more than every penny. The expansion was well planned out too. If you are a fan of ARPG games you owe it to yourself to at least give the single player a go. Expand
  21. Oct 17, 2012
    This game sucks.. its not DS3 and was BS to be presented as DS3. The boss fights are retarded and it overall was a piss poor purchase. You clunk along then come to a boss that even on easy (if your a more casual gamer) you need a miracle and 10 tries to beat because noone playes multi and they are not geared toward single player.
  22. Jan 19, 2013
    Environments and graphics looks nice, everything runs smooth, no crashes etc. However the game mechanics is a bad joke, it makes DS3 feel cheap, dull voice acting and terrible cut scenes aswell.
  23. Jun 6, 2012
    Having played the predecessors, DS III was highly disappointing but I suppose its expected from a developer who never worked on the original title. I admit I may not have given this game a chance but this is what happens when your expectations have been set so high in a previous title.
  24. Sep 8, 2011
    I had hoped this game would be good because in my opinion it's been a very bad year for games. Turns out, it isn't. To be open, I have not purchased the game. I have downloaded the demo from Steam and played that. I'd like to give the makers of this game props for providing a demo before release and making it widely available, every game company should do this. But, in this instance theI had hoped this game would be good because in my opinion it's been a very bad year for games. Turns out, it isn't. To be open, I have not purchased the game. I have downloaded the demo from Steam and played that. I'd like to give the makers of this game props for providing a demo before release and making it widely available, every game company should do this. But, in this instance the demo didn't do the game any favors as it quickly displays how bad it is. You can't control the camera and the angles are very awkward, keybinds are preset (not customizable) and poorly set at that. No game today should lack a key mapping ability, regardless of console but especially on PC. Graphics were OK, but not great. Honestly didn't see any better eye candy than Dragon Age:Origins which is a couple of years old. So, I am thankful that the demo was made and released as it saved me having to wait for reviews to make a purchase decision. I sincerely hope more game studios start releasing demos because had it been good, Obsidian would have had a preorder from me. Expand
  25. Nov 26, 2014
    To be part of a saga a game needs to keep the same gameplay. For Dungeon Siege this means an Action RPG with a full customized character progressing through cross-classes melee, ranged or mage, recruiting NPCs to make a team, and of course in isometric view with its editor to make mods. But this is a casual RPG with pre-defined characters in 3rd person without editor or mods. The problemTo be part of a saga a game needs to keep the same gameplay. For Dungeon Siege this means an Action RPG with a full customized character progressing through cross-classes melee, ranged or mage, recruiting NPCs to make a team, and of course in isometric view with its editor to make mods. But this is a casual RPG with pre-defined characters in 3rd person without editor or mods. The problem is that I don't like games of the second genera described, so I can't even play it for more than 5' without getting bored. You can understand why the "third game of this saga" worth Zero to me, right? Expand
  26. Koo
    Mar 24, 2012
    I bought this game on Steam pre-order and was looking forward to playing it. The original Dungeon Siege (which was included with my purchase of Dungeon Siege III) was a decent game. The graphics are looking a little dated in DS1 (it was released in 2002) but the storyline was decent, the enemies and environments varied, and there are plenty of interesting weapons and items. NONE of thisI bought this game on Steam pre-order and was looking forward to playing it. The original Dungeon Siege (which was included with my purchase of Dungeon Siege III) was a decent game. The graphics are looking a little dated in DS1 (it was released in 2002) but the storyline was decent, the enemies and environments varied, and there are plenty of interesting weapons and items. NONE of this is true in Dungeon Siege III. The storline is sub-B Movie quality, the enemies are largely cloned, and weapons and items are the biggest letdowns. "Powerful staff" "Magic charms" etc. are the childlike names given to weapons and items in the game. No effort was given to imagination or creativity in this department. The levels themselves are similarly bad. Completely linear, just follow the track, no side explorations possible. The one upside to Dungeon Siege III are the graphics. They're spectacular. Dynamic, beautifully saturated, and candy for the eyes. Graphics, however, don't make the game fun - just easy to look at. This game is lousy, and nice graphics are no substitute for shoddy storytelling, level design, and overall gameplay. A disappointment. 4/10 Expand
  27. Mar 11, 2012
    Seriously, all the hate? I loved DS II (cmon, the scope was epic) and know for sure this game isn¨t anything like it, but to give it anything below five is not objective. It NEVER crashes, period; skill usage and combat are smooth and all the mechanics function perfectly; music is decent and both the voice acting and graphic well above average. Of course, it helps if you realiseSeriously, all the hate? I loved DS II (cmon, the scope was epic) and know for sure this game isn¨t anything like it, but to give it anything below five is not objective. It NEVER crashes, period; skill usage and combat are smooth and all the mechanics function perfectly; music is decent and both the voice acting and graphic well above average. Of course, it helps if you realise straight away that it IS a console action game, and all the drawbacks are there: you need some time to adapt to the controls, and they never feel natural to a PC gamer; there is no pause button, and no potions - you need to dodge and block. I absolutely disagree on the customization issue: there is a VERY good chance to customize your character through gear stats, allowing you to focus on crits, overall damage, special stats, or survivability. Depending on theis, your preferred set of skills alter as well. However, abilities and type of gear are fixed to a character class (so that only warrior may use swords, and no other class may learn warrior's abilities - unlike classic Dungeon Siege). Overall, It's a decent console-ported action dungeon crawler. The gameplay has nothing to do with the "previous" DS games, so be warned. Also, the length is somewhat an issue - even with two playthroughs, it didn't take me longer than 20 hours. Expand
  28. Oct 15, 2011
    It took a week with a horrible flue for me to give DS III one more chance. Given my previous low score I was not expecting much from this game. Turns out that was a good thing.
    Dungeon Siege III is typical fantasy tripe. Swords and mages; lots of enemies and loot. Buried somewhere beneath all of the hacking/slashing/blasting action is some semblance of a story, or so it seemed in the beginning. On the surface, however, DS III is just another action RPG. And that is not a good thing, since compared the genre at large, it does not stack up well against its modern brethren. .
    DS III lacks the shine and polish of other ARPG titles. Graphics are somewhat dated, and animations are stiff, clunk and repetitive in the extreme. Combat, a major feature of this game, is good but not great. And the camera...the camera is awful. Either a distant, top down view, or some hybrid of top down and almost-but-not-quite over the shoulder, the camera always leaves your eyes straining to see just a little further ahead despite its built-in limitations in this regard. Despite playing for more than 20 hours I never got used to that camera.
    As with Fallout: New Vegas the technical side of things is clearly not Obsidian's strength. Despite their having fixed numerous issues with DS III, some things simply cannot be improved. But what DS III lacks in technical superiority it makes up for in writing.
    See, it turns out there really is a story. Buried under all of that largely useless loot and repetitive hacking and slashing, are numerous choices. Do you save someone or let them die? Improve the lot of a major city or let it flounder? Negotiate new working contracts for downtrodden citizens or let them work as slaves? All of these choices have consequences, though most are only revealed in the ending video following the game's conclusion, making them immersive if somewhat arbitrary.
    And as for that ending...it's good, if you can stomach the truly terrible, JRPG style boss battle that serves as prelude to the ending. Shameless ripping both Final Fantasy and Glenn Cook's The Black Company novels at the same time - and making a predicable mess from the combination of the two - the ending boss battles are some of the worst I have seen since I swore off JRPG games because of, well, terrible boss battles like this one. This multi-stage, oh-it-got-away again frustration fest feels as if it will never end, and it goes from bad to worse at least three times. It is arbitrary, immersion-breaking and easily the worst thing about a not-very-good game to begin with.
    All in all DS III was worth the playthrough for me. I was sick, Skyrim wasn't out yet and I got DS III for free with a new gaming PC so the playthrough cost me nothing. I am glad I played it, but I would not do so again. The graphics are dated, animations outdated and stiff, there is too much useless loot (have we not tired of this yet) and the boss fights are truly awful for the most part. But underneath all of that there remains something endearing about this paragon of an era almost gone in terms of action RPG's.
    Get it if its extremely cheap and you are very into these sorts of games. Otherwise, pass on this one.
  29. May 16, 2015
    At the beginning, Dungeon Siege was to be an anti-Diablo game. Everything that people did not like in Diablo, Dungeon Siege corrected. Meaning no loading screens, no progress only on level up, skill trees and all that crap. In Dungeon Siege 2, they implemented a basic skill tree that gave the characters extra stuff to do, but overall, it was just minor and did not drive the game likeAt the beginning, Dungeon Siege was to be an anti-Diablo game. Everything that people did not like in Diablo, Dungeon Siege corrected. Meaning no loading screens, no progress only on level up, skill trees and all that crap. In Dungeon Siege 2, they implemented a basic skill tree that gave the characters extra stuff to do, but overall, it was just minor and did not drive the game like Diablo or World of Warcraft. DS 2 was not only that, but also VERY VERY LONG to finish, something that hack'n'slashers of today lack. It was also deep, you had lots of side quests which some weren't easy to do, so you could play another game from scratch just to try and do everything.
    In Dungeon Siege 3, well, it's basically a clone of Diablo and was made in a haste. Almost everything that was Dungeon Siege is gone, the only thing that remains is the no loading screen. Hell! I prefer playing Titan Quest which is better in my taste. If they wanted to make a Diablo clone, why didn't they choose a different name? Because it is surely not part of the Dungeon Siege series, it has nothing in common with the first two games pretty much like that new Gauntlet game that has absollutely nothing to do with the old games of that series.
    Why do you change a winning recipe anyways? Do you have the IQ of a doorknob or something? Only an idiot would change a winning recipe... especially if that new recipe is a copy of another. You lack talent and creativity and it is obvious!
  30. Jul 9, 2011
    Truly this is an awful game. Much worse than first and second installment of the title. The character creation and development is very limited and superficial in comparison toprevious games. We just get premade characters and do not have the freedom to develop them as we please, but we simply must follow the straightforward paths made by game designers.Graphic is unequal - some aspectsTruly this is an awful game. Much worse than first and second installment of the title. The character creation and development is very limited and superficial in comparison toprevious games. We just get premade characters and do not have the freedom to develop them as we please, but we simply must follow the straightforward paths made by game designers.Graphic is unequal - some aspects like outdoor environment looks good, but animations and indoors looks poor, story is as uninteresting as it goes, camera and controls work awkwardly, all battles are just bland boring buttonsmashing. Avoid! Expand

1. Oct 26, 2011
    One of the biggest differences in this game is that you exert a lot of control over your main character.
  2. Aug 30, 2011
    Ultimately, Dungeon Siege III is an easy-to-play popcorn journey into the classic action-RPG genre, hitting every checkbox. There is little innovation here, but it offers plenty of examples of how good design and development practices can make a derivative game enjoyable - and how a pretty severely console-designed game can be adjusted to feel largely right on a PC.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 29, 2011
    Don't be discouraged by the slow and dumb beginning of the game – you'll be rewarded by many hours of fun. Strong story and cooperative multiplayer are more than worth your attention. [Issue#207]