7.5

1. Jan 29, 2013
    This is one of the most fun and challenging games Iv played in years.The game is abound an evil Dungeon Master who runs an amusement park for heros. The developers advertised it a silly and fun multiplier experience and that is exactly what you get. I would go so far as to call this the Mario Party of PC games. That being said, just like Mario Party you are not going to have even half as much fun playing this single player as you would playing with friends. Its clear this game was designed for multiplier and the single player is just a tacked on feature.

The difficulty of this game is borderlines Hotline Miami level. You take a TON of damage if you get hit, and you die extremely fast. Even on very easy mode. If you do not like hard videogames this is one to avoid. That being said the game has a high skill ceiling and is extremely satisfying to play. Especially when you and your friends all work together and combo ability's to take down the extremely difficult boss monsters. If you are looking for an Epic Narrative with Character growth and a massive RPG world to explore your going to be extremely disappointed because none of that was advertised to began with. The story is extremely bland but its forgivable because of the nature of this game. To continue the Mario Party analogy, No one plays Mario Party for the story. They play it to have fun with friends and occasionally screw them over. The game runs flawlessly on Max settings my 4 year old Laptop though I did experience a few non game breaking bugs, stuff like monsters occasionally running into walls, or spawning but not attacking. But these bugs were rare and not that big an issue. Overall 9/10. -1 for bugs and single player.
  2. Jan 30, 2013
    Love this game. This is one of the best top down multiplayer games I have ever played. It requires you to really use teamwork to be successful and there are tons of customization for your characters. There's a great feeling of accomplishment when you and your friends make it through all three stages of an amusement park, collecting mad gold and buying tons of items for your character. Has great RPG elements and tons of fun combinations of elements to kill the oncoming waves with. If you like multiplayer games and have ever been a fan of top down RPG's, then this is the game for you. Expand
  3. Jan 30, 2013
    The best 4fun game i ever played! For old school guys like me, last time i remember played something so, SOOOOOOOOOOOOO fun was in A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... i highly recommend it. the best experience that u can buy for a few bucks. totally worth it!
  4. Feb 1, 2013
    Brief summary of my review
    Interesting concept, however poorly executed/buggy and not worth the purchase price. Full review below. Bought this game after seeing nothing but good reviews from people like AngryJoe, Totalbuscuit, and many others. However I was saddened to find that not preordering the game means that I received a limited product. Pretty much 20% of the game was stripped out
    and only available for preorders. I am certain they will be sold later as addition DLC seeing how it's from the same people who made Magicka and it has about 19 dlcs for between 1-6 dollars each. This game reminds me so much of Magicka in that the release is full of game breaking bugs and multiplayer is near impossible to manage. Multiplayer may require to open port 25002 to be able to host however, and some people may still be unable to play multiplayer even after these steps. Multiplayer matches are sorted in reverse alphabetical order by default, so the first match you will see will always be from Zzzzzzzzzap or someone like that, instead of matches sorted by ping which is not yet an option. Connection issues are abundant so expect people to lag out several times in a dungeon run. Multiplayer is very imbalanced in the dungeon masters favor making it near impossible to beat even easy mode. So many spell's and units are overpowered, the Dire duck unit is a glaring example of this as it can murder your whole team in one spin even in easy mode where you take half damage from all attacks. You can also team up with friends to co-op against a standard npc dungeons, this still suffers from connection issues and imbalances. Both in single and multiplayer the AI is abysmal. Enemies and friends alike get stuck constantly and tend to get themselves killed or just face their faces repeatedly into a wall trying to avoid attacks. As it is clearing a dungeon on offline with bots is also near impossible as the bots will die and waste all your extra life's in an instant. There is a good way to afk and get coins for cosmetics and dungeon master spells because of this. If you start a dungeon master match on any of the hard difficulties and wait for a couple seconds the npcs will kill themselves and you will be rewarded over 500 coins. I was very excited about the concept of this game and the gameplay I had seen online. My experiences with the game was nothing like the people who I saw having fun playing it. Instead of a fun time I had to deal with bugs and hassles throughout the game. I would not recommend this game at full price to anyone. If you truly want to play it I would say wait until they fix some of the issues and flesh out the game, and you might as well wait until it's 70% off on steam anyways because it is not worth even 10 dollars. Expand
  5. Jan 29, 2013
    This is one of the most simple, shallowest games you will ever play in your life. It breaks no new grounds and for a technical aspect, the game currently runs like garbage. Character growth is close to none and the only slightly unique aspect of the game is the 'DM' (Dungeon Master) mode. Which isn't really new and unique when compared to games such as "Dungeon Master" and "Never Winter Nights". The music is the basic fanfare, it's not terrible, but it can get annoying after playing for an hour. All in all, it's nothing special and nothing new. Right now it's a total let down. Expand
  6. Jan 30, 2013
    Dungeonland is a "must have game" for anyone who really enjoy co-op with friends, with intense action every minute, you can never feel safe wandering alone, so, you will need to work as a team to survive , even if you think its close to your friends. a group of mobs can jump at you in any second!

The co-op features are really enjoyable, as you can build your team the way you like, with
    3 different characters and 3 classes for each one, besides of perks and different skills combinations that you can use to bring hell to that scary theme park.

The most awesome thing about Dungeonland is the Dungeon Master mode. What is it? Its nothing more that your bullying friend who wants to become a real DUNGEON MASTER, and he will have control of tons of monsters and a deck of pure evil and will try to retaliate you in many different ways, while those 3 poor heroes (the good friends) try to find their way through tons of monsters and become rich and famous!

Why!? Why the heroes are looking for bring hell to those monsters? Kinda doesn't matter cause its fun! And the heroes can be happy about it and the retired Dungeon Master can also enjoy the killing and the explosions as well. Better then reading the News for him!

For the price of $9,99 Dungeonland is a great game because it has a great gameplay (really hard but also awesome) with lots of combinations to do with your friends and a great replay factor, a mode where you can play with a fourth player as the DM (which also have a lot of possible combinations in his deck), and great environments, with many colors, monster and things to blow up!! Oh yeah, did i mention that the DM has an evil laugh button!!! **** Awesome!!
  7. Jan 30, 2013
    MUltiplayer only. So unless you know several other people who want to play the same game, this is a total waste of time. Playing with strangers is terrible. Abusive 9 year olds already all over the place (no change there then) A buggy waste of time and the reason why many people over the age of 30 hate multiplayer., If I wanted to spend my time getting abused by idiots and children I'd go and stand outside my local Aldi with a Waitrose bag on my shoulder. Buggy, unfinished unfocussed mess - multiplayer only just makes it a whole heap worse. Expand
  8. Jan 30, 2013
    Been waiting for this game for quite a while now with high expectations and wow did it deliver. I started playing with a friend and it was some of the most fun yet challenging game play I have ever got my hands on. This game achieved what it set out to be! Its got beautiful yet simple graphics, addictive as hell game play, a good set of modes and customization throughout all of the 3 classes and is just downright a joy to play with friends. For $9.99 on steam, you cant go wrong, this game is well worth your time! Expand
  9. Jan 30, 2013
    There are few games with such outstanding production values tat still try, and succeed, at being their own unique game. its not entirely perfect however.

Playing alone is either unbearably easy as the DM, and nigh impossible as an adventurer. On very easy (the hardest DM difficulty) you can wipe out the adventurers in the first encounter with some luck. worse yet, the gold rewards
    (which buy items at the shops as your only source of upgrading) rewards you with a ton more gold for being the DM, seriously its absurd how quickly you get gold as the DM vs trying to adventure. Perhaps playing as the DM is meant o be a tutorial for being an adventurer, getting to see your troops taken down might give insight as to how to take them down yourself, but it still feels wrong. However one advantage the single-player adventure mode has is the "attractions". They're sort of special encounters, they certainly mix things up, and will take a try or 2 to really get the hang of them.

the AI i feel still needs some work. The DM outright cheats by summoning elite mini-bosses at any point he chooses even sometimes summoning spawners back to back to back. The AI adventurers, like i mentioned, are so dumb, that a few fortifications (towers and spawners) together can completely wipe them out, since they don't know to focus down spawners and towers.

The multi-player evens things out, allowing you to take the difficulty below hard as the DM. Not to mention that adventurer players are exponentially more capable than the AI. especially if they actually have some upgrades. The servers had some serious instability on day one, but so does just about every multi-player game on freakin day 1. so, it should be good now, but i'm not entirely certain.

the shop makes things pretty interesting, each character has 3 types, perks and potions can mix things up even more. however there is a bit of an issue with the Armour and weapons. they seem to be skins, purely for style, but a new player might easily perceive them as upgrades (like me and my friend did) and waste a lot of their early money they should use for their first perks or some other upgrade.

All in all, id say this game offers quite a bit, id say it was certainly worth it. Hopefully they follow up with some more content, because its certainly a game id like to play for quite some time.
  10. Jan 30, 2013
    One of the best multiplayer co-op couch and online experiences I've had in a while, it's totally 100% worth it! The feeling you have playing with your friends, coordinating in order to complete the painfully difficult levels of the game is so awesome! Yeah, Dungeonland is HARD, so hard in fact the "easy" mode is called HARD, you gonna die. a lot. But in the same way Demon's Souls could manage death really well and making you want to play until you finished everything, dungeonland manages the same thing, but this time with real coop, local or online, and the game is MORE fun when you put a 4th player as the dungeon maestro who controls everything and tries to kill you and your friends in the best Tabletop RPG Master simulator ever, hahahahahah

Go buy it, now!
  11. Jan 30, 2013
    excellent game, bought without many expectations, but surpassed them all, especially for those who like the genre, it is essential that this game is played for you RPG Action fans -
  12. Jan 30, 2013
    Game extremely entertaining game, your co-op mode is fantastic and its difficulty is very high. We still lack a more dynamic system evolution. But I think it will still be adjusted.
  13. Feb 9, 2013
    Good for local multiplayer only for a little while. Otherwise, avoid.

Multiplayer is totally bug ridden, nevermind who you may be teamed with. Lag spikes, connection problems, and other bugs will be as much of a threat than the game will be. And God save you if someone drops and you're stuck with an AI Bot in their place.
    Single-player is a phony single-player. AI Bots can only be
    used with default settings, making them practically worthless. The Dev team has stated they have no interest in improving Bots or their AI.
    But the biggest bullet in the head for this game is how horribly imbalanced this game is. As the heroes, you will likely get massacred by the second wave unless a player controlled DM lets you win. If this was a roguelike, I might give the absurd difficulty a pass, but it isn't. It's a hack-n-slash in the same vein as Diablo and Torchlight. There is no excuse for this glaring design flaw.

Overall: Unbalanced, Unfair, Unfun, and not worth your time. A potentially good idea (DM mode) is squandered by bad decisions and design flaws.
  14. Jan 30, 2013
    It's a decent game for 10$. I bought it on Steam (pre-order) coz the game-play looked really smooth and appealing. But apparently the game has been released with a handful of bugs and optimization issues. There is definitely going to be patches in the upcoming days, so I think that will fix the graphical issues with all the lag. And in fact there has already been a patch which addresses these very performance issues. So there ya go!
    Anyways, the game is quite fun. So far I've understood one thing - Play the DM mode online/offline to earn gold coins, it's much easier as compared to earning coins via adventure mode.
    Overall the game is fun, could have more maps in the future.
    8/10, thanks.
  15. Jan 30, 2013
    A totally fun game, no doubts the best hack and slash I've played. The thematic of the park and the Dungeon Master Mode are incredible. I loved the fact of the game is be really hard and have a high replay value of gameplay, because the attitudes of the Master Mode are unpredictable. and is very cheap for the quality of the game. It is AWESOME!
  16. Feb 1, 2013
    So, who likes theme parks? all of you?! well done… oh… you don’t; Liar! Everyone loves theme parks! Dungeonland is set in a theme park owned by “The Evil Lord Dungeon Master” Who is fed up of heroes constantly butting on on his plans to take over the world as we know it! but he has a plan, and that is to build a theme park filled with shops, rides, treasure… oh, and REALLY BIG monsters. Due to the imagination of evil supervillians being quite limited this park is called “Dungeonland”

The game consists of two modes, the first being adventure mode which is your fairly typical dungeon crawler, and the DM mode where you play the role of the Dungeon Master and it is your sole responsibility to use cards to summon traps, monsters and effects to make it hard for the three heroes to get through the dungeon.

The character upgrade system is fairly nice, you can upgrade your weapon, your perk and your potions. These all all bought with coins you earn as you play through the game. You can also spend the coins on alternative costumes for your character.

The three classes you can choose from are fairly typical, The Warrior, The Mage and The Rogue. The Rogue and Mage seem to be pretty much range based with the mage doubling as a healer character.

The game is made to be played as a multiplayer, you can play on your own with bots but you lack the cohesion needed to progress through the levels, but the nice thing is that you are not forced to play online, if you have wired gamepads you can plug them all in and have 3 people playing on the same computer. This also brings to light another GREAT feature of the game, Multiple user profiles! so 3/4/10/734 of you could all save your data on one computer and then load your own profile to join in the carnage on one PC!

My first time launching this game I set myself up a local game with bots, at first i thought there was a glitch but no… In adventure mode you get 3 difficulty settings, Hard/Harder/Hardest and you had better believe they are true to their word on that!

While you play you get lives that are shared between your 3 heroes, 1 life per hero, now what i didn’t realise is that if you get knocked out your team has 10 seconds to revive you without suffering a penalty to your life totals, this is another reason you shouldn’t play with bots… they don’t seem to like to revive you. Everything in the game is shared too, the lives, the loot and the heals; which i thought was a really nice way of doing things.

The levels in adventure mode are split into 3 stages, Stage1,2 and Boss. I can’t tell you much about the later stages because I’m yet to get there. The stages don’t contain bosses as such but do contain harder than normal enemies, such as the fat phoenix which jumps about and tries to sit on you every chance it gets!

My favourite thing about this game though, is you can see, feel and rage and the old school TRUE gaming roots that the developers of this game have, it is all all out no holds barred HARDCORE game for those of us who loaded our games from tapes and din’t know what save game meant till we were in double digits!

There isn’t a lot more i can say about this game in terms of what you get, one thing i can say is DON’T try and play this like a normal dungeon crawler because it isn’t! Overall though i’m giving this game 9/10 because it’s all awesome but the bots let the side down (literally). So glad i got hold of this! it’s available from steam right HERE for £7.99 or if you have friends they do a four pack for £23.99 essentially earning you a free copy! Now go! Enjoy and I’ll catch you all on the battlefield!
  17. Feb 17, 2013
    I would give this a perfect score if it weren't for some of the issues the game shipped out with. It feels a little rushed, but other than that this game is worth picking up to play with friends. I had a decent time playing alone but the AI is pretty stupid... and I think it should stay that way. YOU NEED PEOPLE to fully enjoy this game. I think with time this game could shape up to be something super fantastic. To me this game has a very old school feel to it, and I LOVE IT. Expand
  18. Feb 26, 2013
    First off, the game is dead.

Buggy, shallow, repetitive... I couldn't recommend this game at 4.99. The game has a lot of potential but that's it, potential that will never be realized. 1 dm map? There ARE some fun fights, however the game ITSELF ruins those moments. Lag, terrible bot ai, terrible monster ai, flakey hit detection, random "you just die" deaths. I'd happily trade it in
    for something of price if I had the chance.

MAYBE consider the game when it is on summer sale, however until then consider it dead.
  19. Feb 4, 2013
    Usually, I am all over game companies and hating them, whether it's the single threaded RTS game that announces the thousands of units you can control at once, or the shallow gameplay or awful graphics games do not exactly push the limits of the imagination these days.

However, Dungeonland is different. An awesome team game coupled with strategy and MOBA elements unlike most MOBA
    games the community is fun and full of laughs rather than competitive and full of insults. The amusing the graphical style and content is second to none. The only way the game is lacking is in the single player where the AI isn't so great, but the multiplayer more than makes up for it.
    For $10 this is a definite buy. I give it a 9/10 because of the lacking single player.
  20. Nov 3, 2013
    This does absolutely nothing for me and I say that as a fan of top down shooters. Obviously it works really well for a lot of people, I'm just not one of them. I just feel like I'm trapped in a twee kids cartoon from the 80s and not in a good way.
  21. Feb 16, 2013
    Good game if you play with people you know or get lucky with randoms, but it could have been a lot better. The levelling up/customisation options are a bit limited for the classes and unfortunately playing the dungeon master yourself is simultaneously more fun, easier and gives better rewards I have found it takes forever to get a game online if you want to be the dungeon master. The single player mode is too hard due to crappy AI on the bots and its way too easy to play as the Dungeon master vs the bots. I also don't really like the WASD movement system for this kind of game as it makes targeting harder than it needs to be, especially for ranged abilities. I would have preferred a point and click system like diablo and so forth.
    Personally I haven't seen any gameplay bugs at all, tho occasionally online matchmaking has seemed to be slow.
    Overall worth a look but a lot of missed potential here I feel. Could be that it will get better as time goes on and new content comes out.
  22. Nov 12, 2013
    I am a reservation buyer but by making this game this time Free-to-play, I feel a rage.
    The developer may not intended to do from the beginning to Free-to-play.
    However, it betrayed a buyer consequently.
    Can you buy a game in this company for trusting?
    I never again buy a game in this company.
  23. Jul 29, 2013
    An ok game where you lead a few characters thru some messy and chaotic battles vs hordes of mobs. The artwork is amazing, there is lots of funny stuff. It's just that the gameplay is rather shallow and repetitive. Probably it's good for kids.
  24. Feb 5, 2014
    This game is brilliant. As a solo experience it is a little lacking, providing slightly repetitive combat, with great boss fights and tons of charm, but as a co-op or, even better, a 3 vs 1 game it is fantastic. The heroes really need to work together as a team, and it is immensely satisfying to clear a stage or beat a boss. There are many different enemies, each being very unique in their abilities and stats, while remaining simple. Everything from orc, who are quick but weak until you enrage them to giant sleeping ducks, spinning across the dungeon if you are foolish enough to awaken them. Now what's even MORE fun than playing the heroes is taking the role of the evil dungeon master, and actually using the cards and abilities at your disposal to wreak havoc among the poor heroes. It is fantastic to spam that "evil laugh" button as your placing traps, casting spells and spawning bosses, only to posses them and take direct control. Overall Dungeonland is a fantastic games if you have a few friends, and still a great one if you don't, due to online multiplayer. The only problem i have with it is that the online connections can sometimes be a bit unreliable, and have on several occasion not let me play with my friends. This has fortunately gotten a lot better since launch. Expand
  25. Feb 7, 2013
    Full review here: http://www.game-viewer.com/game-review/review-dungeonland/

When looking at Dungeonland, you can say it may be a bit buggy and not very deep with it’s game mechanics. But the multiplayer experience is one of a kind. Playing online or locally offline is so much fun that it outweighs a lot of the negative aspects of the game. It looks gorgeous, the inside jokes are funny
    and the gameplay is very fun. Sadly Paradox has the same problem with this as it had with the Magicka launch, it is quite buggy and you will have to roll the dice when buying this when hoping to play this without any problems. Expand
  26. Feb 12, 2013
    I have put a lot of hopes to this game and maybe this was a case, that it didn't looked as good as I was hoping. Graphics are nice and color-full, but game lacks a bit of optimization. At least I doubt that on Phenom x6, 8gb ram, HD 6850 PC it should have lags. But it does... sometimes... The game is good, just it kinda gets boring because you can play only one map (dungeon master mode). I was playing this game only with friends and we only wanted to play dungeon master, so we got bored after few hours of game play cause of one map only. Add more maps and it will be awesome game. (One map? Yes one map. Other maps are for people who wants to complete dungeons when dungeon master is AI, if your friend wants to be dungeon master then you have only one map for that). Expand
  27. Jul 2, 2013
    This game is excellent, but quirky. It can be played as an action RPG (heroes) or more of a strategy/tactics game (DM mode). Either way, it is fun and unexpected good things are bound to happen.

At its best, this game will cause you to break out into laughter as you finally cut down the boss (played by a real person) via teamwork, or terrify the player heroes with a wave of invisible
    dire ducks spawning on top of them. At its worst, this game will seem impossible when you have only rather stupid bots for allies, or when you're trying to challenge an experienced squad of heroes as the DM without having invested into the DLC which gives improved monster spawners.

The less exceptional positive aspects are many, ranging from the various DM abilities and 9 player types ensuring variety, to the high quality visuals and sound.
    The less exceptional negative aspects are few, but slightly annoying when they do appear, such as the fact the DM DLC is far more powerful than standard DM abilities, the limited multiplayer matches going at any one time, and the rather inept bot AI which never seems to target the key enemies: the spawners.

I got a 4-pack of this game for $10 on a 75% off steam sale, and was so impressed I ended up spending a bunch more on DLC. Even at $10 for a single copy, though, it is worth the money, being far more fun than many $30-and-up games I've played.

It really does require friends (either online or locally) to get the best out of it, though. If you're looking for a game to play with a controller, as a party game, this is an amazing choice. If you're more looking to play online, it can be challenging to find the right game, but you'll have a blast when you do.
  28. Jun 14, 2014
    The developers and publishers of this game give no real support. They have patently ripped people off with their conversion to a Free 2 Play model. After months of them not resolving the issues they created (and they are the only game on Steam thus far to have those issues) they simply washed their hands of the situation without ever fixing anything. Avoid Critical Studios at and Paradox Interactive as developers and publishers. Expand
  29. Feb 16, 2013

1. Apr 5, 2013
    The game’s testers deserve having their butts kicked more than the creatures of Dungeonland. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.81]
  2. Mar 14, 2013
    Dungeonland is ultimately pointless when it comes down to it. Yet it is the good kind of pointless, the kind that still produces entertainment with friends and fills a void. Dungeonland knows it does not amount to much, in fact it revels in it, wilfully mocking itself throughout.
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Dungeonland is nowhere close to perfect, but in multiplayer it’s a brilliant bastard of a game. Just add friends – or enemies.