6.4

1. Jun 21, 2013
    Took the effort to make an account on metacritic, because I felt cheated by the current reviews. I guess most of the reviews of the so-called "critics" are written by fan boys. Although the overlay interface is very well finished I can't see the fun in this outdated side-scrolling beat 'm up. After two hours of playing these are the things that annoy me the most:
    - If one player uses
    - If one player uses magic, all the others stay locked in place for 2 seconds
    - Item selection is dreadful Magic user have a limited number of [ranged] attacks
    - You can use a slide attack which is annoyingly hard to pull of with my xbox controller, but otherwise there is a very low variety in attacks. Just bash the a-button.
    - You feel like a turtle when playing this game after you enjoyed Castle Crashers

Summary:
    Pick up a copy of Castle Crashers and don't pay for this dust. If you're bored with CC, look for a copy of Streets of Rage Remake
  2. Jun 26, 2013
    OK before i start with the rant, here is a short disclaimer for anybody in new generations of gamers who have not been blessed with seeing and playing this game on Arcade Machines at the time of its release. This title has been EPiC among all gamers and Arcades in the world, a fight against a necromancer withstanding a trial of time, a game offering a great visceral gameplay and beautifulOK before i start with the rant, here is a short disclaimer for anybody in new generations of gamers who have not been blessed with seeing and playing this game on Arcade Machines at the time of its release. This title has been EPiC among all gamers and Arcades in the world, a fight against a necromancer withstanding a trial of time, a game offering a great visceral gameplay and beautiful hand drawn sprite graphics. D&D unmatched by name, by TSR brand and definitely unmatched by all "new xbox-live indie games" (i own xbox and buy all the titles on marketplace as well as PS3 so i have an easily comarable cross-platform experience). if it has not been, it would not have been re-released by CAPCOM right? right?

Well, not really. This release is one more out of countless examples that show how little thought the corporations give to "porting" the old games. This blatant outrageously sloppy release (many thought to be Capcom's reaction to coming soon Dragon's Crown) has not even minimum but absolutely NO effort being put into it.
    Capcom is already renown among ios users for hideous ports of his games while at the same time demanding for them prices high above itunes average. These games have worse joystick emulation EVER (coming from the arcade games corporation of long standing history mind you) and look hideous on ipads and iphones alike absent of any filters and special effects.
    The temerity of Capcom is incomprehensive as they release afterwards a "vip" versions of the previous failures at even higher prices supposedly promising a better performance and looks (the most important thing in such a game namely controls is still pitiful, take example from CAVE or TAiTO who put great effort into creating a home brew touch controls system which perfectly emulaties joystick controls).
    Needles to say, after witnessing years after years of games which clearly only purpose is to MiLK the audience and suck a few more out of their pocket with NO effort from the corporate machine whatsoever, still i think that Capcom's "D&D" is the one which so brutally showcases these shady dealings.

Back to the subject i brooded about in the disclamier. I had hUUUUUge expectations toward this game, but don't misunderstand me i would be happy with anything if properly done. My expectations were rather coming from my belief that in spite of witnessing a sh!tstorm of blatant ports this one will be special, MUST be special and will not be mistreated by Capcom. There were also 2 more facts behind my reasoning:
    1. this incredibly expensive retail special edition of the game http://www.play-asia.com/Dungeons_Dragons_Mystara_Eiyuu_Senki_Limited_Edition-paOS-13-49-en-70-6ml3.html
    2. the name of the games itself being a mix of names from two original games: "chonicles of mystara". i had some wild hope of Capcom creating a special "black label" of D&D combining two games into one monstrous mashup version...

Nothing of that sort. We receive the original two games looking hideously bad on nowadays screens, devoured of any filtering available on MAME which would make a world of difference to this release. Whould it be so hard to add some reasonable graphic filters?! MAME can run this game on old Pentium 200 with shadowmask and make it looks great, lets customize controls and be amazingly playable. Whats hard in letting players SET CONTROLS instead forcing me to use arrow keys?! It's worse port EVER!
    The game looks indigestable on Playstation 3 and Steam alike. The final straw are the FiXED controls and the player being forced to play with ARROW KEYS. (for fvkcs sake!!!!)
    This is a sad day but also important one marking my awakening to the realisation of corporate greed. The recipe for success taking the old game and branding it as a remake after slapping some "achievements" on it has just stopped working in my case. And hopefully also in yours. Thats also a reason why i give this "port" a zero, because of zero effort put into creating it and "innovating" the release in a blandest way imaginable achievements.

vote with your wallet and let capcom rot in hell
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    NOthing against this game but it's ANOTHER old tired game that was released in 1980 in the arcades and someone is now making a ton of money on it simply by running a MAME or similiar emulator on it. No REAL things have been added here, just stupid pics and extras we don't care about. I'm tired of seeing this stuff being released when the M.A.M.E. community has had this and its partner gameNOthing against this game but it's ANOTHER old tired game that was released in 1980 in the arcades and someone is now making a ton of money on it simply by running a MAME or similiar emulator on it. No REAL things have been added here, just stupid pics and extras we don't care about. I'm tired of seeing this stuff being released when the M.A.M.E. community has had this and its partner game out there for FREE for YEARS! Expand

1. Jul 8, 2013
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Jul 2, 2013
    I had never played these games before, and it's possible that those darn kids we all hear about these days might not enjoy the decidedly retro gameplay and so-bad-it's-good translation. On the other hand, if you've got an eye for classics that have aged better than fine wine and been given the premium porting treatment, I see no way you could go wrong picking this one up.
  3. Jul 2, 2013
    Chronicles of Mystara is a must-have for any fan of the original arcade releases, or D&D fans in general. However, the charm of this package is going to be lost on anyone who wasn’t already sold on these games in the past.