8.2

1. Mar 26, 2011
    I consider this one to be THE RTS game. Apart from the fact that the story and cutscenes are very nice, particularly for a person, who's a fan of the Dune universe, the gameplay experience is top-notch. The unit balance is fantastic, particularly due to the fact that it allows for differenc strategies (for example you never attack the Harkonnen with infantry units, while it is perfectlyI consider this one to be THE RTS game. Apart from the fact that the story and cutscenes are very nice, particularly for a person, who's a fan of the Dune universe, the gameplay experience is top-notch. The unit balance is fantastic, particularly due to the fact that it allows for differenc strategies (for example you never attack the Harkonnen with infantry units, while it is perfectly possible to win a mid-game level only with selected infantry and air support against another house). This does not mean that you just have to rush the enemy base with a massive army, as this issue has also been very well balanced out. Moreover, Emperor has some additional elements, that are not that common, as the possibility of choosing allies, which gives you some pretty good unique units later on.
    The sound is very good, and the music is good enough for me to own a soundtrack. It is true that the graphics aged a bit, but that's not a problem with such top quality gameplay as this title offers.
  2. Jan 8, 2011
    Still great fun after almost a decade. The graphics are a little dated now, but still perfectly acceptable. Gameplay is amazing - the balance between the three factions is perfect - an example to all other RTS games. I still listen to the soundtrack while doing other stuff, because it's so good.
  3. Nov 16, 2012
    This game was more like Dune 2:the battle for arrackis then that other imposter dune 2000. I enjoyed playing Emperor:Battle for dune especially the skirmish games against computers. The only negative i have for this game was the multiplayer aspect of the game was no where near as god as some earlier games like Starcraft.
  4. Feb 18, 2015
    Emperor was a much better sequel to Dune II (the originator of most RTS mechanics) than Dune 2000 was, but still flawed. Generally I'd recommend Dune II over Emperor to people interested in the history of videogames, and Emperor to people who loved Dune II as well as the books and who are looking for another window into that world.
  5. Feb 26, 2014
    A very underrated game. It has fantastic balancing, an excellent story and high re-playability. I still pop this masterpiece in the driver after 10 years of playing, and I never get tired of it.

It's truly sad that multiplayer is no longer available.

1. It lacks the polish of other Westwood games, however seeing as this is their first foray into three dimensions we can forgive the slightly rough feel and lack of overall refinement.
  2. The universe feels fully fleshed out and not just slapped together for a game. You understand the houses, the units, the motivations, and the raison d' etre. And of course, harvesting finally feels right.
  3. Good points aside, E:BD is a tired game based on a limited concept that was beaten to death in 1998.