7.3

1. Mar 10, 2014
    Bottom Line: if you are looking for a game that has a beautiful package you will enjoy this title. if you are looking for a game with depth / challenge this one is not for you. p.s. there is the multiplayer option i hadn't played Pros: -Graphics -Plenty of options to randomize the generated universe or your race -Replay-ability -GUI is fluent and of great design Cons
    -Unsatisfying combat
    -After 10 hours of game-play the O.S.T might annoy you.
    -Poor AI
    -Poor Balance, some tactics / weapons etc.. much more powerful / useful then others
    -You will not feel much room for decisions. some times you will find yourself just clicking end turn button until you win.

On normal difficulty level, i won several times just by building the right building according to the planet / system researching the cheapest tech each time and attacking the weakest AI neighbour. Basically the AI is so bad, and there is so little strategic depth to this game that by following several rules of a thumb a cat can beat the AI.

On higher difficulty level, AI gets bonuses, to overcame them you will need to look for the OP weapons / techs / race bonuses to win. Meaning your choice of tactics narrows to 20% of the OP things out of all what the game has to offer.
  2. Jan 29, 2014
    Seems great first but after few games, realise that there is lack of making choices than building ships. Graphics and sounds poor. Need to follow straight lines between the stars that are connected together. Worst, the battles are controlled by the IA, you choose 1 special move by round (3 by attack) and you watch the battle without doing anything? So, you hope that your ships build is better than the other and cross your finger.

Go get "Star Lords" : In Alpha for now but really better than this game.

JoceDoIt
  3. Dec 31, 2013
    It's not a bad game, per se, but the learning curve is astronomical (pun intended). There's also a distinct lack of in-game information; the tutorials do a good job of explaining what all the buttons do, but leave out so many crucial pieces of information that you'll constantly find yourself Googling what should be basic questions about the game. It would have been nice to know that the "wavy" planetary connections are wormholes, and require advanced technology to navigate, or that ships only repair themselves when in combat or in friendly territory.

The in-game notifications and tooltips don't help much, either. It's so hard to determine exactly what you'll unlock when choosing what new technologies to research; the tech tree explains what things are just fine, but it has serious trouble telling you what they do. This extends to all facets of the game. Nothing seems intuitive; instead, it all seems designed for someone already familiar with the gameplay. This is a major problem, because the game has so much to do, and so much to understand, that new players absolutely need their hands held during their first few games. It's primarily for this reason that I found myself absolutely unable to get into the game.

There's some minor gameplay issues as well (the combat is fairly unimaginative), but overall, it plays fine... if you know what you're doing. Exploring the galaxy is plenty of fun, but be prepared for some serious trial-and-error and many moments that will leave you scratching your head and/or Googling for an answer. If you're looking for this kind of strategy game, I'd recommend Civilization V instead.
  4. Dec 27, 2013
    Endless Space has all the problems normally associated with 4x strategy games, but few of the fun parts. The tech-tree is large, convoluted, and the discoveries don't correspond at all with the effect on gameplay. Want to colonize a lava planet? That requires graviton thingummy-jiggies on tech tree #4. Research can't be queued. Diplomacy against the AI either includes no options whatsoever, or they get switched on by some obscure discovery.

Balance is everything with these games, and when each system takes 150-200 turns to conquer and the tech tree is a complicated limiting factor, even on Easy difficulty (which is boring) it's very possible to build your empire "wrongly" and reach a stage where you can't make further progress against AI opponents who only have 3 stars but chose the "right" kinetic weapons oojahmahflip from tech tree #2 50 turns previously.

Combat is always between two fleets of up to 12 "command points" (1=gunship, 2=cruiser, 4=battleship). In practice, most battles are between maxed-out fleets and victory is determined by tech. Tactics and ship customisation will not change the outcome against an opponent with an extra point in beam weapons. A fleet with an extra point in beam weapons and an extra point in deflector shields will chew up an infinite number of weaker fleets suffering virtually no attrition in the process (due to insta-repair during the opponent's turn). This means the economic weight of a galactic empire during the end-game isn't an advantage, making the end-game take even longer. They have actually found a way to make the 4x formula's classic problems even worse.

The ship customisation is so limited that they might as well have kept it to templates. Choose from little, medium or big and lasers, machine guns and missiles. There are also carriers, but this is a bad use of "command points", and also ground bombardment and ground invasion options. Ground invasion could have been quite an interesting idea, but there are no significant fixed defences to bombard, and no garrisons to attack. Sieges take 20-30 turns, or you can send in a single unit of infantry for instant conquest.

Sins of a Solar Empire also came out recently as an easier-on-the-eye, slightly "liter" 4x strategy game, and it's much better at the things listed above with few if any drawbacks. The one thing Endless Space does get right by comparison is that its map consists of stars and their orbiting planets, rather than the peculiar free-floating planets of SoaSE. Upgrading planets in Endless Space makes as little sense as the tech tree, but it does at least give the impression of there being a solar system whose local planets co-operate with each other to build stuff. Planets can be: barren, arid, desert, tundra, terran, jungle, asteroid belt, lava, arctic, gas giant (hydrogen, methane or helium), and they can be tiny, small, medium or huge. The differences aren't as noticeable as they should be so long as you choose advanced intergalactic bobbins on tech tree #3 (left branch), they are all equally easy to settle and look after.

The graphics and artwork are mediocre. Planets of the same type look the same as each other, each faction only has six ship graphics and I defy anyone to actually tell them apart either at the strategic scale or in the close-up battle sequences. The auto-resolve battles (with added rock/paper/scissors) aren't as annoying as others have made out I had been watching them to try and better understand the combat mechanics. The problem is that you can tell who is going to win by adding up the tech levels of each gun in their fleets. Graphically, they impressed me less than Gratuitous Space Battles, as well as tactically.

I got this on Steam for a single-digit sum of money and was bored within 8 hours. Get a fan-mod of Empire of the Fading Suns, or even a copy of Supremacy (1990) instead for "4x lite" done well. Don't get this.
  5. Dec 23, 2013
    Boring game, you are supposed to lead your civilization into the galactic age searching for some ancient race or something but everything is so abstract you just don't care anymore after a few turn and you just keep playing like a zombie, even fighting use a paper-rock-scissor system to resolve battles and you can not witness your mighty battle steeds clashing in glorious battle
  6. Dec 23, 2013
    This is a good strategy game. Difficult, that makes you think more on what to do and wait to wage war...if it's not needed. You can't focus on one single war tech, you have to adapt and develop. I like it
  7. Dec 13, 2013
    Do you like composing your own unique race, building vast empires, playing the complex game of politics, and waging war with obscenely customizable fleets of ships? I know I do, and Endless Space pushes all those buttons just right.

There are so many options that the game can seem intimidating at first, but the UI is incredibly user-friendly and easy to navigate while the game comes in
    varied difficulty from granny mode to juggernaut levels of play. You're not going to understand the whole game at a glance, so if you're looking for something no more mentally challenging than an FPS, this is not the game for you. However, once you do grasp it, it provides you with the tools to play the game in new and creative ways every single time.

Since its original creation this game has been updated and expanded(mostly free of charge) into something far superior to the original product. Critics rightly pointed out the flawed combat, semi-bland universe, and wildly unbalanced starting situations in multiplayer. However, every single one of these problems has been thoroughly handled by the devs at Amplitude. The universe is still not top of the line in terms of interesting story-telling, but the combat has been fleshed out to an absurd level and the unfair luck of the early game has been almost entirely eliminated.

In short, if you like 4X strategy games, get this one. It's currently the most solid one on the market due to the horribly botched coding of Civ 5. If you don't like them, don't bother, this game is 4X to the core with nothing particularly unusual to offer a player who doesn't care for the genre.
  8. Dec 4, 2013
    The game begin with random and you may really need to reload to obtain a couple of lucky planets which can provide a decent resources since AI seems never lack of resource.

The real strategy part begin in the mid game, well, the battle system is simplified by playing cards, but enemy AI is quite smart at the hardest level I mean it responded to player's ship weapon&armor very soon:
    almost each time you beat them, they will convert their ship's weapon&armor into the kind can restrain yours in a few turns. So, the earlier fight is not gonna be easy since you won't have enough resource/tech to upgrade or convert your weapons. Thus you'd better try your best to defeat enemies with your new weapons at their planets before encountering them at your base, and by this means they won't have reacting time to adjust. And this situation will only get changed after you take down your first close opponent since after that you can grab more resource from new planets and your ships and heroes also become experienced a lot whereas enemy just rebuild ships and recruit new heroes.

And then the late game become a bit boring because opponents may fight each other and not just against you, and their advanced ship and weapons are not lead by a high level hero, which cause them to lose bounus -like 50% atk/def power.

-----
    I tried several times at the hell level of "-195" but all failed, since whatever how many times you use S/L and other bug or trick,this largely weakened ship or resource setting won't give you the chance to take your most close(or weakest) opponent down while other opponent will do that before you can, and then the whole game lose the balance. It seems someone succeed in that by using very specified race, map and other setting- but I don't think that method contains any of strategy.
  9. Dec 3, 2013
    This game is fun but sadly i have no friends to play it with and that's a bit of game breaker for me. Once I had the slightest idea what to do it became very fun and i do like a lot of things about it, the only thing i cant stand and the only reason it didn't get 9 stars is the expansion penalty. Even if your playing as a class that is the most likely to win you get a penitently for expanding, even the mostly robotic faction with basically no emoticons (according to the description) or anyway of disapproving expansion still has this. Once i dealt with that there are only some minor things that bug me like when your planets go into rebellion but that's usually my fault :D Over all i would still recommend it because it is very fun. Expand
  10. Nov 4, 2013
    Very good 4x space game with pleasing visuals and a really crazily wide technology tree. It plays somewhat like a cross between master of orion 2, fragile allegiance and galactic civilizations 2.
  11. Oct 17, 2013
    Poor turn-based game that has a military focus. A hack copy of Master of Orion without any fun.

This is another example of Steam taking peoples money for complete crap.
  12. Oct 17, 2013
    Simply put, Endless Space is the most recent turn-based 4x space strategy game available on the market that is worth a 10 score. Not as much as a "Total War" kind of game, as the battles are less focused on, Endless Space requires attention to empire management and cultural development, as well as beefing up your battleships for war.

I was surprised to see a Metacritic score of 7.3,
    and was compelled to bolster its points. The game is great. Anyone who enjoys turn-based strategy will find enjoyment in this game. My only major criticism is the lack of "movie-like" detail in the battle sequences. I hope the develops make a sequel that truly reels in the feel of outer-space in battle and Empire building through visuals. Expand
  13. Aug 24, 2013
    Such a huge game. There is a lot to take in when you play, and it can be a little off-putting if you are new. But if you persevere, you'll discover a simply amazing game. Each game is not entirely the same, but not entirely different. There is a lot of patience needed to play this game, clicking "End Turn" repeatedly while waiting for something to be finished isn't most people's idea of a good time. And space combat is fairly limited. You pick three tactics for the three phases of the battle. But the battles themselves look simply amazing; no tiny little units stabbing each other here. Full on cinematic battles are just the icing on this sci-fi cake. There's a large amount of strategy behind the beautiful grahpics, and I would heartily recommend it to any turn-based strategy fan. Expand
  14. Aug 23, 2013
    Possibly the best successor to Master of Orion 2, even better than Galactic Civilization 1.

...If it didn't completely fall apart in the last half of the game. The game is very easy to master and best even on the highest difficulties. The game is in serious need of balancing (Favors expansion far too much) and the tech tree provides too little bang for your buck.

Still, if you're
    looking for your x4 fix and you've completely exhausted MOO2 and you find the humor makes Galactic Civ 1 feel too lightweight for you, this might be your game. Expand
  15. Jul 30, 2013
    Endless space definetly is a good game. I like to spend some hours in it. But there is few things that I don't like. And all of them based around fighting.
    1. I don't even bother myself again with another 4x with "rocket/laser/cannon" cliche. Really, I don't find it fun to always rebuild my fleet to fighting with rebuilded enemies. And AI do this faster and better.
    2. I prefer MoO2 or
    even MoO3 combat. 3-turns collisions sometimes makes me feel slight frustration.
    3. Conquering systems just *censored*.

But it still ggod game about building space empire with funny features.
  16. Jul 29, 2013
    As much as I want myself to actually like this game, I just cannot really get myself to give it another go. Being a big fan of space strategy (or 4x) games and having played for around 30 hours, I find the game mediocre at best. The start is extremely slow and tedious. The starting position in this strategy game and the first hour of gameplay basically defines if you will have a chance to prosper or fail miserably. Also, I found yourself confronted with an AI that clearly cheats so hard in this game (starting from "normal" difficulty, everything below is pointlessly easy) it makes you feel absolutely incompetent. Fighting and invading usually comes down to who has the bigger fleet, which in turn comes down to who has the bigger empire. The slow pace, the weird balance due to AI cheating, the boring combat system, and the somehow lifeless and uninspired presentation made this game a disappointment to me. Expand
  17. Jul 28, 2013
    Best space 4X game I've played since GalCiv 2. My only major complaint is the AI, it's terrible. Even on normal difficulty the AI gets artificial boosts to make them "competitive" with the player. The combat system is different, basically rock paper scissors. Everything counters 1 other card (resulting in a boost), and is countered by one. I was pleasantly surprised to see the AI seems to learn from the system and adapts its strat around your habits. Expand
  18. Jul 23, 2013
    The diplomacy is probably the most well refined in a Turn based strategy game i have played, surpassing civ V. there are really only a few things i want improved, and none of them are in gameplay. They need to add different art to planets (there is little to no variation). and to be honest the biggest reason i love the game is being amazed by the beautiful planets. the fact that there is so little variation sucks. also the map art when you zoom out for a specific map type is the same every time, they need to add variation to that too. i really like the soundtrack (it makes me space out and fall into a gaming coma). really all i want is more aesthetics and art variation. I'm not sure if they are going to patch it. but there being so little planet variety is actually sort of a big issue. other than that, it is good. it isn't worth 30$ in my opinion get it when it is on sale. I think it is a game you could get a good 50 to 100 hours in before it gets redundant. Expand
  19. Jul 19, 2013
    Started off with a lot of potential. Felt a lot like a space-based Civ V, in a good way. I liked it. I was just getting into it when the battles started. That's when it began to unravel for me. The battle system for individual battles is OK, I get how it's supposed to work. But there isn't a way to defend your territory. Enemy ships get to blow by my fleet like it's not even there. So, I have to cover every one of my planets with large fleets to defend them, meanwhile endlessly chasing the enemy around? Lost me at that point. Expand
  20. Jul 17, 2013
    It is a pretty game, until it crashes, and it will.

The "strategy" is next to non-existent as you try to out spread AI players in an endless slog of waiting after pushing the "end turn" button.

So very much wasted potential, doesn't live up to the Master of Orion comparison.
  21. Jun 29, 2013
    Purchased the game on Steam sale recently after hearing a lot of hype. Endless Space looks pretty- the graphics a good for an indie title, and the menus have a pleasingly clear aesthetic. Unfortunately this title fails in some fairly basic areas of the 4X genre.

First of all, the game does a poor job of explaining game mechanics to you, optional tutorial notwithstanding. It is
    difficult to tell how much food you need to a planet to add a new population point, or when your borders will expand (and by how much), or even how missile weapons actually work (the game's description is misleading). There is no in-game 'Pedia, but rather a link to the fan-made Wikia, which is out-of-date on some topics and useless on others.

Second, the combat system is awful. As many people have commented here, a lot of it comes down to guessing the correct cards to counter the AI and loading your fleets with energy weapons and heroes. There is some strategy in the form of ship load-outs, but even that basically boils down to "lots of lasers & some defensive modules". Invading planets is a hideously boring affair, where you camp above AI worlds for potentially dozens of turns (and at least four), fending off the disposable fleets the computer pulls from its ass. Far too much is automated, leaving the player with little to actually control. Apparently the new expansion pack (from a different studio) resolves some of these issues, but I am not particularly inclined to invest 10 more bucks to make the combat system enjoyable.

Finally and most egregiously, there just isn't a whole lot to do in the game. Even on a large map you'll expand to a half-dozen or so systems and then find your only options are to sit around teching for eternity or build up enormous fleets to take on an AI which hates to make peace, gradually wiping out one faction after another. If battles were more enjoyable to fight you might want to go after other empires for the sake of combat, but it's a mostly joyless affair. There's nothing much to explore once you've colonized your core systems and met your neighbors. Really, it ought to be called "Empty Space".
  22. Jun 5, 2013
    Endless Space is one of those games that I think where you are going to love it or hate it. There are a lot of problems that I have with this game. First of all, the attempt to mix real time strategy with turn based strategy was a failure with having all players take their turns at the same time. This mechanic makes pursuing enemies extremely frustrating as you will attempt to move to there position and they will simply move toward you somehow going through your fleet. Secondly, there is an amazing lack of depth to this game. The different races really lack personality. The whole game really lacks personality. The launch price for this game was $30, however I believe this game looks like a $5 to $10 game based on the graphics quality and the attention to detail. The combat mechanic on this game really seals the deal for this being a below average game. The settlement elements, technology research, empire management, and and fleet construction are all poor, but that could have been made up for if the combat mechanics were interesting, challenging, and exciting, unfortunately this isn't the case. The whole system is basically a luck of the draw system. You pick a card and if it matches up well against the card the AI chose, your fleet will do well in battle, if it doesn't match up well, then you don't do well. There really isn't any strategy of any kind to the combat. Expand
  23. May 23, 2013
    Looks great and i'm sure i'd have a lot of fun, if it wouldn't freeze up.
    Which is a problem for many and has been for a reasonably long and extended time.
    A 2 for appearance.
  24. May 7, 2013
    It is a good game to get into the 4x genre. It has nice artwork, streamlined gui and got lots of free dlcs.
    It isn't as complex as SOTS2 or similar games but that's not always a bad thing isn't it ^^
  25. May 2, 2013
    While Endless Space is a very very good game, the only flaws I see are the lackluster borderline-dull card based space combat; and the micromanagement level of large empires. In my opinion most 4x and turn based stragety games become tedious at endgame, this game falls into the same pit with limited automation abilities.

Fantastic music, very clean and simple UI.
  26. Apr 30, 2013
    Endless Space is what Master of Orion 3 should have been. That said, its main problem may be that it can best be described in relation to other games, and not so much on its own. It has a sprawling tech tree, planetary systems to develop, space battles, alien empires, powerful commanders: basically the whole mess that we have learned to associate with the 4X genre and love it for. But I have a hard time pinpointing what it does that goes beyond this point. It feels like its searching for its own niche with the interesting idea of the sentient currency that is Dust, but this fluff isn't matched to game mechanics that explore it; if I called it Credits, the game wouldn't really be all that different. I really want to see Endless Space create its own mark on the genre, something unique to it. The good news is that the developers have been expanding it constantly since release, with four free expansions out so far (though so far these are more 'additional content' and less 'gameplay changing'). So hopefully this uniqueness is something it will achieve in the near future. Expand
  27. Apr 30, 2013
    AWFUL BATTLE SYSTEM THAT COMPLETELY RUINS A MAJOR PART OF THE GAME The battles are pre-render boring cutscenes and you have to use cards in battles. Why they made the battle system into something like Yu-Gi-Oh is beyond me. Tthe battles are a complete turn-off from my point of view As for the rest of the game (economy, colonization etc) fortunately it is better but everything you do in the game feels like a chore somehow. After playing some hours i got bored with the game. Does not have the same kind of addiction like MOO2 had it becomes "stale" after playing some hours with it Expand
  28. Apr 27, 2013
    This is a nice game, but the combat system is done via cards which are selected in which you choose the type of attack or defense you wish to use for that phase. This game is pretty easy to learn and the different levels of difficulty provided will ensure many hours of enjoyment whether playing against the AI or in the multiplayer mode against other human opponents. For myself, the game has never crashed and I am glad to have bought this game as I consider it money well spent, but if you are more interested in having space battles with lone ships up to fleet size, then I suggest you try playing StarDrive. Both Endless Space and StarDrive are fantastic games and each offer a special type of space strategy gaming, which should be experienced.

Enjoy
  29. Apr 26, 2013
    A good and very promising game!

Lots of new original concepts and game mechanics. Very refreshing. Moreover the support of the dev is constant, the patch are quite regular with lots of new and free contents (free DLC).

Endless Space is a diamond with golden future.
  30. Mar 30, 2013
    Extremely good looking game and very customisable and overall enjoyable, few minor grudges with the game like it's extremely slow passed as it is a turn-based game but I personally can live with that, Amazing game, graphics and thanks steam for letting me buy it for 12e. All the people who enjoy strategy and space I recommend it to you!

1. Feb 12, 2013
    What it lacks in storytelling and script it gains in gameplay and in the way it can get awfully addictive.
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    This is a fun and addictive space strategy game. It doesn't quite have the character of Master of Orion 2, but it offers intelligent gameplay, smart opponents and plenty of fun while you build your interplanetary empire. Well worth trying, for both hardcore and casual strategy gamers.
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    Master of Orion still retains its throne, but Endless Space with its enticing atmosphere and fluid gameplay is one of the best 4X games in recent years. [Sept 2012]