7.5

1. Oct 10, 2013
    Escape Goat is a puzzle platformer with a simple premise: you are a goat in prison with a mouse sidekick, and you should escape. I didn't expect to get in to this game as much as I did, but Escape Goat has some solid puzzles, the platforming is tough at times, and I ended up really enjoying it.

The story is basically non-existent. The music and sound are enjoyable. The graphics remind
    me of 16-bit-era PC games, and I think they look great. The game controls well on an X360 controller (didn't test keyboard).

This game is really very elegant. There are only a few things you can do: double jump, rush, and teleport (if you have the hat), and the mouse can do a handful of things by himself as he runs around. Similarly, the level design only uses a few elements to pull together some interesting and tough puzzles. The game isn't terribly hard (unless you play the bonus content), but it makes you earn your prison escape, and it feels satisfying when you do. I'm probably going to keep playing a bit longer to get a few more of the achievements that I missed the first time.

This game is a solid puzzle platformer, and if that sounds like something you enjoy, pick up Escape Goat. It's cheap, and for $5, this is a pretty good way to kill an afternoon.
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    Really nice puzzle game, fun and challenging levels, beautiful graphics style and easy platforming controls make escape goat a great game for everyone. However, the highlight of this game is the music, which is pleasant to hear even after countless times of repeating a level. My only problems were that the level difficulty did not scale normally (meaning that the next level may be easier than those before) and its short duration(about 2 hours to complete the main game). Definitely recommend to purchase on gog: 5$ including the soundtrack. Expand
  3. Nov 1, 2013
    A lot of modern indie games have tried to capture the "feeling" of games from the early 90s... But this one nails it. Right from the get-go, it feels like I just typed C:ESCAPE~1EGOAT.EXE and hit Enter. The platforming feels tight and precise, the music is catchy and enjoyable, and the premise is pleasantly bizarre: a goat is trying to save sheep and escape a castle with the help of a teleporting mouse. But most importantly, every level is a pleasure to play. From start to finish, this game just claimed me and put me into a "one more level" mode until the game ended. The fact that I wish there were more levels is not a complaint of the game, but rather a testament to its quality. If you are a puzzle platform fan, there's no reason not to play Escape Goat. Expand
  4. Jul 19, 2014
    Escape Goat is a fun 2D platformer, nice story (sort of), very helpful tutorial, the only downside is that the game is too short (all rooms have 6 in total) where I have already reached the 4th door out of 8 doors (excluding the exit) and also the puzzles are a bit too easy until later on in the game... let's hope these might be changed in the sequel!
  5. Aug 16, 2014
    A fun, but somewhat brief, puzzle platformer. This is an enjoyable game with a fun retro aesthetic and good soundtrack to match. Most of the puzzles are satisfying and very few are frustrating to the point of quitting (I only came close to rage-quitting once during the entire playthough). It would have been nice if more items were available, however, the simplicity of the game was also a strong point.

The original set of levels (the non-unlockable ones) are solid but feel a little too short. Still, this game is priced to suit, so it's very much a good deal.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Dec 13, 2013
    For those who enjoy puzzle platformers and dying a lot. [13/2013, p.77]
  2. Jun 25, 2012
    Perhaps that feeling that it ends too quickly is a testament to how engaging the gameplay is in Escape Goat. You find yourself wanting to know more about the world, to explore it, because it's just so gosh darn fun to play through the levels you do get to see.