Fallout 2 PC

9.2

1. DickR
    Dec 19, 2009
    Absolutely the best RPG game I've ever played. It is a true non-linear game that lets you do pretty much whatever you want. It is fully possible to smash orphans in the groin with a sledge hammer, if you are so inclined. The game suffers from a myriad of bugs in its original form, applying "Killap's Unofficial Fallout 2 Patch" removes most of the bugs and adds a bit of extra content.
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    Bought it in '99 and still playing it after 12 years...that's all I have to say. The greatest RPG game of all time. Even with many bugs the game is almost perfect.
  3. MrMummy
    Aug 29, 2005
    Probably the main quest is better in the first (not for the quest per-se, but what the quest-story is about, FEV, Mutants and so on), but overall the sequel is kick-ass, it has so many quests... i just reinstalled it and can't stop playing :)
  4. EliasO.
    Jul 7, 2007
    One of the best RPG's! It is almost as good as Arcanum.
  5. OdairF.
    Apr 23, 2003
    We could end up just like that and we gotta watch our backs, a damn fine game to me, enough to keep me sitting at the keyboard for a long time roaming through the wastelands.
  6. MarekM
    Nov 18, 2009
    Not as good as first Fallout, world is much less realistic (eg. you start on place where it's hard to meet something that will harm you badly, but you can go only in limited directions if you don't want to be shred to pieces), but with good atmosphere, great plots, many quests and informations, many easter-eggs, many.... FO2 is just huge, but there are better games.
  7. Jul 29, 2013
    Surely the best RPG I ever played, with Fallout 1 and well, Baldur's Gate 2, coming very close.
    Just look for the "The Ultimate guide to Fallout 2" on the Internet and make sure you do every quest while reading the walkthrough. I hope Brian Fargo make something comparable in Wasteland 2, with the new graphics.
  8. Seto89
    Feb 2, 2004
    Fallout is the best!
  9. JohnDoe
    Jun 29, 2008
    The game that change my perception of role playing game.I didn't know game can be so alive before I played this game.
  10. DanielDenmark
    Jan 25, 2005
    One of the best! ...That's it ....! :) A little buggy ... But who cares?
  11. Theo
    Jan 24, 2007
    Superb game..had it so many years and I still reinstall it and play like MAD!
  12. DanielS.
    Jun 10, 2007
    The only RPG I've ever enjoyed playing and probably the best game I've ever played overall.
  13. PavleB.
    Jun 15, 2005
    Best game eveR! i love the lighting effects on night levels!!!1 everything lights up so franticly..... gore effects superb! this game is so expandable... it makes my head spin 360!
  14. Mar 31, 2015
    Played this for the first time in 2014 and enjoyed it tremendously. It's bigger and more over the top than it's original brother. There's a lot of pop culture references and tongue in cheek jokes, which make the game a lot of fun. It also has more weapons, items and perks than the first one. The amount of quests is incredible and you get a different ending for each city depending on yourPlayed this for the first time in 2014 and enjoyed it tremendously. It's bigger and more over the top than it's original brother. There's a lot of pop culture references and tongue in cheek jokes, which make the game a lot of fun. It also has more weapons, items and perks than the first one. The amount of quests is incredible and you get a different ending for each city depending on your choices.

However the plot is slightly less focused and the story is less convincing than those of it's predecessor. Which is why i prefer the original fallout. I'd rate this one a 9.2/10 compared to a 9.8/10 for fallout.
  15. ToddG
    Dec 18, 2008
    I really, REALLY can't help but laugh at some of the comments below. Yes, you do have to clear out enemy checkpoints (guard posts) every time you go through them. What so many of them fail to grasp is that YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH THEM. Maybe someone used to Halo or even Call of Duty expects to perform the same action over and over again, but this game is NOT Halo or Call of I really, REALLY can't help but laugh at some of the comments below. Yes, you do have to clear out enemy checkpoints (guard posts) every time you go through them. What so many of them fail to grasp is that YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH THEM. Maybe someone used to Halo or even Call of Duty expects to perform the same action over and over again, but this game is NOT Halo or Call of Duty. For my playthrough, I adopted a full stealth strategy. Silenced Pistol, sniper rifle, and a rocket launcher if I needed a lot of bang. When I first started, though, I was popping caps left and right with a shotgun and flamethrower. But the thing about this game is that you're NOT relegated to any one experience. As I said, I adopted a stealth strategy. How do I deal with checkpoints? Either sneak around them in the brush, or shoot a guard from a distance, wait for all his buddies to come looking for me, then sneak through while they're busy searching. And the game ENCOURAGES this. Or, if I'm not in the mood for sneaking, I can borrow a boat from the Dock at the bar and take the river route. Very few guard posts and they're less likely to chase you. So if you think you're having a hard time, CHANGE your strategy. You're not limited by the game, you're limited by yourself. As for the game itself, its quite beautiful, at least before you start blowing it up. The fire effects are pretty awesome but still have a ways to go. Best I've ever seen, though. You can actually predict where the flame will go based on wind direction and terrain. What else can I say? The world is very immersive. AI is frustrating, but in a good way. Often I'll think I was perfectly hidden when someone will spot me becuase I poke a gun barrel around a corner. Often I'll kill a guard, think i'm in the clear then find out he had a buddy just down the road who saw me kill him. And sometimes that buddy will shoot off a flare and call MORE of his buddies to finish me off. All in all, this game punishes your mistakes to be sure, but definitely rewards good performance. So if you play this game, don't think that you're limited to roads or checkpoints. Don't think you have to kill every enemy or do every mission. Make the game yours. Kill some buffalo or zebras. And most of all DON'T get discouraged, where theres a will (and a lot of ammo) theres a way. Expand
  16. Mordeth13
    Oct 3, 2008
    Best game I've ever played in my life. And the only RPG I've played all the way through more than once.
  17. Maran
    Mar 24, 2008
    I've played more RPG's than most people will ever even read about and I can honestly say, Fallout was the pinnacle of roleplaying for its time, in many ways its still not been surpassed. Judging it by the standards of its time, it blew everything else away. The story is different and setting almost a unique amongst rpg
  18. JimmyH.
    Apr 4, 2008
    Fantastic, non-dumbed-down, RPG that genuinely lets you play like YOU...BUT...bugged to hell. Be prepared for your PC to die, and die often. Save, save, save, and wait for the first time you dance round yir room screaming abuse at a screen that's locked up because you have too many items in your (SPOILER!)...still, though, the best RPG I've ever played. "Hey, causing that much Fantastic, non-dumbed-down, RPG that genuinely lets you play like YOU...BUT...bugged to hell. Be prepared for your PC to die, and die often. Save, save, save, and wait for the first time you dance round yir room screaming abuse at a screen that's locked up because you have too many items in your (SPOILER!)...still, though, the best RPG I've ever played. "Hey, causing that much destruction wasn't easy...". Expand
  19. CoreyD
    Jan 30, 2009
    Great game. Better than Fallout 3 in almost every way, except of course the graphics.
  20. GlassEye67
    Aug 22, 2009
    I have to give this game a 'nine' plus rating because it is not for everyone. It is still a classic game as is the first Fallout. Imagine the Bioware D&D series of the Forgotton Realms that you have played turned into a apocolyptic, road warrior type, rpg. I have loved this series for many years. But if you are expecting a first person shooter you should be informed that it is a I have to give this game a 'nine' plus rating because it is not for everyone. It is still a classic game as is the first Fallout. Imagine the Bioware D&D series of the Forgotton Realms that you have played turned into a apocolyptic, road warrior type, rpg. I have loved this series for many years. But if you are expecting a first person shooter you should be informed that it is a strategy game. Mega mohawks, shootguns, ak47s, techno punk with leather armor all on a game board to move and beat the computerized components hex/octo movement engine. Best unique non-traditional rpg ever made. Expand
  21. JohnR.
    Jul 22, 2003
    A great game, but with some minor flaws. The music, atmosphere, and graphics are all excellent, as are the story and characters. However, the game seems unfinished; it's buggy; and (I think) it's a bit too difficult.
  22. SHODAN
    Dec 28, 2007
    One of the greatest triumphs of gaming. Artfully constructed game world, atmospheric setting, interesting characters, interesting narrative - well written. All of it unique. Strategic combat, non-linear, freedom, choice and consequence, moral ambiguity. A triumph in thoughtful design. 10 years later and the industry has offered little else that even comes close - and certainly not in the One of the greatest triumphs of gaming. Artfully constructed game world, atmospheric setting, interesting characters, interesting narrative - well written. All of it unique. Strategic combat, non-linear, freedom, choice and consequence, moral ambiguity. A triumph in thoughtful design. 10 years later and the industry has offered little else that even comes close - and certainly not in the last 5 years. Expand
  23. Jan 26, 2015
    Fallout 2 is simply a great game. There's lots to do and the environment is great, especially when you mod the game with sFall and killap's unofficial patch that fixes a lot of the bugs that were in the original game. I also like the fact that it's a game where everything doesn't always go your way (even though a lot does go your way :) ). There's also lots of comical dialogue, events andFallout 2 is simply a great game. There's lots to do and the environment is great, especially when you mod the game with sFall and killap's unofficial patch that fixes a lot of the bugs that were in the original game. I also like the fact that it's a game where everything doesn't always go your way (even though a lot does go your way :) ). There's also lots of comical dialogue, events and random encounters.

Now, even for some of the game's faults, it's still a great game. The faults of the game include silly moments, quests that end abruptly and well, bugs. However, like I said a lot of this can be fixed with Killap's patch.

I'm not going to complain about graphics, it's an old game, doing so would be very silly and stupid. In fact, in my opinion the graphics are charming. Sprites are a little low res and textures too, however, compared to other 2D games it's still great! The textures and such can be improved with sFall and the high res pack, if you want to use nicer graphics.

Edit: Look at some of the negative reviews. Bashing this game for the single reason that they enjoy Wasteland 2 and they have heard people saying Fallout 2 is better one too many times. Now I won't name any names, but yeah... Then they went here and saw it had a better score, thus they just had to put in a "revenge review" and put 0/0. Even though the two games are really similar except for the story and setting (which is still very similar) . Quite silly, but I suppose you're not allowed to think FO2 is better. Their main argument therefor always falls to complaining about the graphics.

Don't get me wrong, Wasteland 2 is great too, both games are, and there's nothing wrong from enjoying both of the games.
  24. Dec 18, 2012
    I have purchased fallout 1 and 2 twice. Once, back in 2000 but the game suffered from so many bugs that it was definitely difficult if not impossible to finish the game. It definately wasn't possible to finish every quest. Even the final encounters were buggy and potentially game breaking. The answer? Save more... I had forgotten how many hundreds of hours I poured over Fallout 1 and 2I have purchased fallout 1 and 2 twice. Once, back in 2000 but the game suffered from so many bugs that it was definitely difficult if not impossible to finish the game. It definately wasn't possible to finish every quest. Even the final encounters were buggy and potentially game breaking. The answer? Save more... I had forgotten how many hundreds of hours I poured over Fallout 1 and 2 back in 2000. Buying the collection on steam for 8 bucks(original cds long lost) has definately reminded me how genius the storyline and gameplay are. Everything is much deeper than you initially believe. You definitely have to install "Killap's Unofficial Fallout 2 Patch." It fixes 99% of the nonsense. You will need the high-res patch as well. Even with the high res patch the graphics will be the worst part of the experience. Time has not been kind. I have so much fun playing that I can look past that weakness. Be warned though the Steam version is definately the one containing the last patches released by interplay 10 years ago or whenever. This version on steam is minus 1000's of bug fixes by fans. You MUST install the fan patches to have the games run properly. Out of the download box the game was 400x800 and displaying a rainbow all over the screen. Still a 10. Expand
  25. Oct 6, 2014
    Game for the ages, the best creation in the gaming industry.Huge variability, interesting stories, amazing world and a giant study of the gaming universeThis is one of those games that will please everyone. And what beautiful music here! Depressive motives they drive into depression and create an incredible atmosphere. 10 out of 10, the best game.
  26. Jan 2, 2013
    My personal all-time favorite CRPG. I've been playing since it came out in 1998. The things I love are: great post-apocalyptic atmosphere, awesome turn-based combat, non-linear playthrough and a variety of gamestyles/ways to solve quests/ways to win battles etc, variety of items/guns/ammo/armor, numerous sidequests, memorable NPCs...you name it! I'm hoping for a revival for this kind ofMy personal all-time favorite CRPG. I've been playing since it came out in 1998. The things I love are: great post-apocalyptic atmosphere, awesome turn-based combat, non-linear playthrough and a variety of gamestyles/ways to solve quests/ways to win battles etc, variety of items/guns/ammo/armor, numerous sidequests, memorable NPCs...you name it! I'm hoping for a revival for this kind of games to come! Expand
  27. Oct 28, 2014
    after 15 years still the best game i've ever played with it's atmosphere, skills, perks, turn-based system, possible endings, characters, details and background -2014-
  28. Jan 4, 2016
    After the perfect Fallout 1 and great opinions about the 2nd part, I was really looking forward for the 2nd part. The game mechanics are great as in the first part, especially the freedom of creating your character. Unfortunately the game is unbalanced like F1, many skills and perks are very weak in comparison to others. The companions are more important than it was in F1, unfortunatelyAfter the perfect Fallout 1 and great opinions about the 2nd part, I was really looking forward for the 2nd part. The game mechanics are great as in the first part, especially the freedom of creating your character. Unfortunately the game is unbalanced like F1, many skills and perks are very weak in comparison to others. The companions are more important than it was in F1, unfortunately there are not many orders you can give to them. The combat system is great, it makes you think and not forcing you to play a reaction game. The setting is perfect like always and it was interesting to see the developpment of some cities and west California.
    But in comparison to Fallout 1 the second part is much worse in my opinion. First of all, there are so few new graphics and new sounds. This game looks more like an addon, where you use much of the data from the main game. Somehow I needed to motivate myself to play further especially in the middle part, the atmosphere in F1 was much better. I dont know why, but I could not get into the world so well like in F1. Another thing is, that there are so many bugs, it is unexcusable.
    Overall good game, but the 1st Fallout was much better.
  29. Aug 3, 2014
    The legend continues. Excellent continuation of one of the best games of all time with twice as much content. Double the gameplay time, double the character level, very good writing, all the shortcomings of the first Fallout fixed (quest logs, companions control..) and on top of that add a new shiny post-apo car for your desert travelling. Hmmm. On the other hand, the overall experienceThe legend continues. Excellent continuation of one of the best games of all time with twice as much content. Double the gameplay time, double the character level, very good writing, all the shortcomings of the first Fallout fixed (quest logs, companions control..) and on top of that add a new shiny post-apo car for your desert travelling. Hmmm. On the other hand, the overall experience isn't as masterfully compact as it is in the original Fallout and it's basically the same thing all over again, samey visuals, music, experience etc. But when you got your favourite, the most delicious food in the world, can you complain when you get it again and in double the portion? I certainly can't, both Fallout 1 and 2 are classics of the genre and must plays for all cRPG's or post-apocalyptic lovers. 9/10 Expand
  30. Jan 5, 2015
    This is the BEST Rpg ever made! A real rpg thats not only shooting killing; but also based on intelligence, changing dialogue options. Make fun of politics, social events (for example you will see Mike Tyson in game:) words are not enough just play it. Also fallout 3 is not like f2, not like we expected
  31. Mar 24, 2015
    What can you say about a legendary game Such as Fallout 2? This game is arguably the one that really put the Fallout franchise on the map. You play the grandchild of the Vault Dweller, who grew up in a small tribe isolated from the rest of the world. As the Vault Dweller's grandchild you are naturally the Chosen One in the village. A drought has plagued the village, the cattle are dying,What can you say about a legendary game Such as Fallout 2? This game is arguably the one that really put the Fallout franchise on the map. You play the grandchild of the Vault Dweller, who grew up in a small tribe isolated from the rest of the world. As the Vault Dweller's grandchild you are naturally the Chosen One in the village. A drought has plagued the village, the cattle are dying, crops withering, and children are sickly. The only ray of hope is the legend of the Garden of Eden Creation Kit, or G.E.C.K. which has the power to save the village. But saving your village will be more complicated than just retrieving this artifact, of that you can be sure.

The good: While the gameplay is nearly identical to it's predecessor much of the gameplay has been improved. You can now loot multiple corpses if they fall on the same hexagon which is a massive improvement. The item transfer box is now capped at 99,999 and the counter moves much faster for precision item transfers, like money. The music is still great and lends to the atmosphere of a wasteland, top talent like Ron Perlman who returns to as the voice of the Narrator, and Michael Dorn who voices the super mutant sheriff of Broken Hills, named Marcus. There are also more than double the items, more weapons, armor, and tools are at your disposal in your quest to save Arroyo, your village. With more companions, more humor, more everything. Also the option of a car that makes travelling across world map much faster, and gives you a mobile storage container for those goodies you might need, but can't carry. The down side of course is that the car eats up energy from Microfusion Cells and Small Energy Cells like crazy, both of which are the ammunition for your energy weapons. Which means that at some points you can get stuck deciding on weather to fuel the car, or have use of your exotic guns.

The bad: Too many pop culture references, there are far more then necessary. The lucky part is that if you don't get the joke it generally doesn't get in the way. Due to being top down isometric it suffers some of the same flaws as it's predecessor. If enemies are close to the edge of an area they can die in places you can't loot them in, and sometimes they end up in places you can't shoot at them in. Luckily your companions can shoot enemies outside the screen area.

Final thought: An overall improvement on the original game, with a more user friendly interface. The game is overall double the size of the original with twice, or more the weapons, armor, locations, characters, side quests, and companions. A must have for RPG fans.
  32. AnonymousMC
    Jun 23, 2009
    i would give this a 8.5 i find that i get killed allout but gets made up by the ability to save anny time and absoulte freedom for the charator
  33. Feb 19, 2016
    Personally I see this as a pinnacle of games production. I was challenging, interesting and kept me engrossed for hours at a time.

Great improvement over the original, the controls are more forgiving and the interface although only marginally improved seemed freindlier to use. The game offers great characters and varied experiences with a fulfilling player experience. Although I

The game offers great characters and varied experiences with a fulfilling player experience. Although I first played this game over a decade ago, I've since bought 3 copies just because of disk failures / system upgrades, and each time I've bought it I've played it longing for more!

I cannot think of any single game that has captivated me for more than a decade other than this one.
  34. Jun 3, 2011
    I got caught messing with a farmers daughter, forced into marriage at gunpoint, got addicted to jet then pimped my wife while I went to run guns and star in porn.

THAT my friends is a ROLE PLAYING GAME

Possibly not just the greatest RPG of all time but GAME of all time.

Black Isle Studios, we miss you.
  35. Aug 16, 2011
    This is a great game! The best of the Fallout serie. A true RPG. Few games can be copared with this one.
  36. WillF.
    May 14, 2007
    Best Game Ever, Fallout is truely the best example of a RPG experience , with a madmax-like world , its just awsome ..all the humor and gore-ish ambiance ..it still has to be toped in my book .
  37. Nov 24, 2010
    When I played I was a BLAST, it was the first one of the RPG games I've ever played, and as the people say you'll always remember the first one. It is a highlight in the RPG business. Realistically I have no words to qualify this one if I could I'll give it a 1000 or even a 1000000. Please have in mind that the interface is an old one nothing like the ones we are used now please be patientWhen I played I was a BLAST, it was the first one of the RPG games I've ever played, and as the people say you'll always remember the first one. It is a highlight in the RPG business. Realistically I have no words to qualify this one if I could I'll give it a 1000 or even a 1000000. Please have in mind that the interface is an old one nothing like the ones we are used now please be patient it will be worth it I promise Expand
  38. Nov 11, 2011
    Incredible Game. Expands on the first game exponentially. It is many times larger, longer, and much more fun to play. While the first game was such a revolutionary concept for its time, Fallout 2 is simply a blast to play even today with its incredibly outdated (even for 1998) birds-eye view graphics. The only true fault is the near suffocating amount of inane pop culture references thatIncredible Game. Expands on the first game exponentially. It is many times larger, longer, and much more fun to play. While the first game was such a revolutionary concept for its time, Fallout 2 is simply a blast to play even today with its incredibly outdated (even for 1998) birds-eye view graphics. The only true fault is the near suffocating amount of inane pop culture references that are thrown in at every opportunity, which can at times detract from the often dark and serious tone of the game. 9/10 Expand
  39. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is legendary! They don't make RPGs like that anymore! Gripping story, hundreds of hours of gameplay, a huge free word to explore, killable children (It might sound sick, but it is about the freedom the developers gave to the player. If you don't want to hurt them... don't do it, but 'Black Isle' won't restrain you from doing it!). The game was a perfect blend of funny and adultThis game is legendary! They don't make RPGs like that anymore! Gripping story, hundreds of hours of gameplay, a huge free word to explore, killable children (It might sound sick, but it is about the freedom the developers gave to the player. If you don't want to hurt them... don't do it, but 'Black Isle' won't restrain you from doing it!). The game was a perfect blend of funny and adult content, with dozens of memorable dialogs. The way the turn based combat mechanics worked was great (a certain amount of action point could be used during combat to shoot, crouch, heal yourself, move etc.) The character stat system was also great. It was divided into four categories: attributes, skills, traits and perks. The player is governed by the system called "S.P.E.C.I.A.L." (an acronym for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility and Luck). There are also 18 different skills in the game. Perks are a special element of the level up system. Every three levels (or every four if the player chooses a certain trait), the player is presented with a list of perks and can choose one to improve their character. All these had great impact on gameplay (smart character had more dialog option etc,). The post-apocalyptic word of the game was rich and the story is very memorable. Arroyo is suffering from a drought. The village elder tasked the direct descendant of the Vault Dweller (Main protagonist of Fallout 1) referred to as the Chosen One to perform the quest of retrieving a Garden of Eden Creation Kit for the village. The player is given nothing more than the Vault Dweller's jumpsuit, a RobCo PIPBoy 2000 handheld device, a Vault 13 water flask, a spear and some cash to start on his quest. During his quest the Vault Dweller will face foes like the Enclave, mutants, raiders and many more. I enjoyed the visual direction of the game very much. The music was also very memorable!
    I can only recommend this game!
  40. Bob
    Jun 28, 2005
    This is the best game i have played to date it has been hard to enjoy anything else because it is so good.
  41. Mar 11, 2011
    A great game that got me into CRPGs, it has everything that was missing in fallout 1. Memorable characters, more customization, another great story, epic ending, no time limit ... WAR ... WAR NEVER CHANGES
  42. Aug 5, 2011
    I have been a fan of the Fallout series since I grabbed the first game way back when, the first one was great, but I've never been able to finish the second, I played through the story line at least twice and get stuck at the same spot every time. There are a lot of great improvements to the second from the first, but I don't feel it completely lived up to Fallout 1
  43. Nov 8, 2011
    If you're looking for a good introduction to computer RPGs of the past and don't want to over complicate things, this is the perfect game for that. A lot of the mechanics are faulty, and a lot of things are completely useless and may deceive the newer player, but that's to be expected in this game where moving alongside the coast will most likely get you killed for reasons you won'tIf you're looking for a good introduction to computer RPGs of the past and don't want to over complicate things, this is the perfect game for that. A lot of the mechanics are faulty, and a lot of things are completely useless and may deceive the newer player, but that's to be expected in this game where moving alongside the coast will most likely get you killed for reasons you won't understand until much later. Spend some time with this one, even if it seems daunting at first.

It's quite a departure from the content scaling of Fallout 3 and followers, and oh so refreshing.
  44. LukaM.
    Feb 20, 2009
    One of the best games ever. Beyond comparison with Bethe$da's crappy work.
  45. AaronO.
    Dec 21, 2004
    Best RPG ever!!!!!
  46. KarlSeverinT.
    Jun 3, 2005
    Fallout 1 but with much more depth and variety it is just the best ever RPG.
  47. LisacT.
    Sep 27, 2006
    This truly non-linear RPG set in the dark post-apocalyptic future based on the '1950s culture and filled with well-known pop-references is still an unmatched example of gameplay and atmosphere one game can offer. Pure 10.
  48. AaronO.
    Oct 23, 2008
    Best RPG ever!!!!!
  49. Nov 7, 2011
    I think I've played this game about 10 times, each time polishing character just to reveal as many quest as it was possible and each ime finding new. Addictive as jet. Surprising in so many ways (have you ever died traveling the wastelands after using too much jet? hey, steroids my save your life when taken at right time)! Once one of my friends finished the game fighting with bare handsI think I've played this game about 10 times, each time polishing character just to reveal as many quest as it was possible and each ime finding new. Addictive as jet. Surprising in so many ways (have you ever died traveling the wastelands after using too much jet? hey, steroids my save your life when taken at right time)! Once one of my friends finished the game fighting with bare hands only! It was amazing to see his character actually doing this. Ahhh, nobody rocks anymore like Valve Software.
    (Arcanum rocks as hell as well ;-)
  50. May 13, 2012
    Fallout 2 should definitely get more points than 10 out of 10 :) I've lost track of how many times I have completed this game since 1999 and each time is was fun.
  51. Jul 15, 2012
    As amazing as the original, some bits where a bit tough to work out and if you didn't search every section of one area there is a good chance you'll have to do a good bit of backtracking. Despite this it is an amazing game and deserves a play just for the storyline, only one bug which is the same as the fallout 1 which is the colours, same fix in the ddraw.ini file (google it) and I can'tAs amazing as the original, some bits where a bit tough to work out and if you didn't search every section of one area there is a good chance you'll have to do a good bit of backtracking. Despite this it is an amazing game and deserves a play just for the storyline, only one bug which is the same as the fallout 1 which is the colours, same fix in the ddraw.ini file (google it) and I can't mark it down for it as it is a problem with modern computers not the game.

Give it a chance and if you get stuck there's no shame looking at a guide, lots to do, large areas, plenty of gameplay, so many years on and still a great game.
  52. Dec 2, 2013
    This game is really a masterpiece .Fallout 1 had maybe better story and atmosphere, but Fallout 2 got the better game play, more funny quotes of characters, more options, less linearity and much more. I really miss Black Isle studio.
  53. Mar 27, 2014
    Far ahead of its time non-linear RPG. Comparable to the Ultima series & Deus Ex in terms of influence and advances in virtual world building. This game is not very politically correct, it's only concerned with being a masterpiece.
  54. Jan 30, 2015
    This is very likely the best RPG of all time. Certainly its age shows somewhat, but not nearly as much as most games even 5 years old. This game must have simply had a magical assortment of a development team because WOW it shows. Even creating a character is better than most RPGs today due to the SPECIAL stat system with perks and skills which is the best RPG stat system I have seen toThis is very likely the best RPG of all time. Certainly its age shows somewhat, but not nearly as much as most games even 5 years old. This game must have simply had a magical assortment of a development team because WOW it shows. Even creating a character is better than most RPGs today due to the SPECIAL stat system with perks and skills which is the best RPG stat system I have seen to date. The characters you can recruit are varied and interesting, and build their character through in depth dialogue as much as through combat and (in some cases) reactions to your choices. The factions of the game feel like they are more from the real world than most games, few characters, even the NPCs are complete caricatures. The exploration is just the right blend of time spent exploring and traveling. SOME backtracking makes the world feel a lot more interconnected than simply walking from one town to the next like a Final Fantasy game. Very open style where you can skip towns, visit out of order(to some extent, as the game does not change due to your level, but there is some leeway), or even ignore the main story if you want. Hundreds of fun small moments, great uses of skills(though the overall balance is certainly leaning towards certain skills- no game is perfect.) Humor is nice but the idea of being able to skip it in New Vegas was certainly the way to go - One of the only serious flaws in Fallout 2 is the fight between being a serious game and being a humorous one. You can have humor in a serious game but sometimes this one can go over the top. One of the greatest games of all time but probably not for someone that really loves RPGs at this point as the ISO view and old UI do make it a bit of a chore to get through. If you can get through that though you will have an incredible time playing this game. Expand
  55. Arana
    Apr 19, 2008
    FO2? Even better than the first and favorite rpg game to date. No others came in comparison... especially to its wry sense of humor.
  56. MetaPhysical
    Dec 5, 2006
    Fallout 2 is like water in a wasteland - a symbol of hope for anyone that an epic RPG can be achieved. Fallout 2 creates a fully engaging world of a seemingly mistfit reality with all points improved apon from the original. With chacter development nothing less than mind-tingling, gameplay interaction beyond amazing, freedom of action more than what the imagination would allow, and such Fallout 2 is like water in a wasteland - a symbol of hope for anyone that an epic RPG can be achieved. Fallout 2 creates a fully engaging world of a seemingly mistfit reality with all points improved apon from the original. With chacter development nothing less than mind-tingling, gameplay interaction beyond amazing, freedom of action more than what the imagination would allow, and such superior gameplay plot and flow that the most modern games would shy away, Fallout 2 is the most memorable RPG game to have ever been concieved, on par with the Baldur's Gate series. Expand
  57. OlegO.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Best RPG ever. Very unique.
  58. KrisztianT.
    Sep 28, 2007
    Even though it is almost a decade old, in my mind this was STILL the single best role playing game every created period.
  59. VladimirX.
    Nov 14, 2003
    This is by far the best RPG ever created. Amazing story line, huge playable world, so many different things to do. Similar to postal in some ways, you do whatever the hell you want. Dont play that Brotherhood of steell tactics whatver sh..t...fallout 1 and 2 are the best ones, the rest dont even have anything to do with fallout. If you see this game for sale, buy it! You won't regret it.
  60. SerkanP.
    Nov 26, 2005
    this is the best one on the world,creators of the game are the most admireable people on the world. Two thumbs up!
  61. Jul 21, 2014
    Best of the Interplay FO series and stands head and shoulders with the Bethesda games FO2 expands on the first game by leaps and bounds with a great immersive story loads of character customization choice, flexibility, challenging, rewarding, no timer, mods FO2 is still one of the best RPG's out there.
  62. Feb 13, 2013
    This game just improves on everything the first game did, and made it better. The graphics are sharper, the locations are grander the quests are more epic. So what's wrong with it? For all it does right it also doesn't introduce too much new to the gameplay. In essence it looks and feels exactly like the first game, just allot sexier. A shame that they didn't take a few more risks. ButThis game just improves on everything the first game did, and made it better. The graphics are sharper, the locations are grander the quests are more epic. So what's wrong with it? For all it does right it also doesn't introduce too much new to the gameplay. In essence it looks and feels exactly like the first game, just allot sexier. A shame that they didn't take a few more risks. But none the less, it still is a fantastic game and a worthy successor to the original. Expand
  63. Jan 11, 2013
    This is a true classic, if you want a deep and compelling RPG than this game is for you(if you dont mind the age of the game).Personally I think this game never gets old it is one of my favorite RPGs of all time and I have played it for years and years and it never gets old. It's a shame that Fallout 3 was such a big disappointment.
  64. Nov 3, 2015
    This is objectively the best rpg ever made. A truly open ended experience featuring memorable characters and a large variety of quests with multiple answers to completing them. The only people who wouldn't prefer this to any modern fallout game are those with poor taste or no imagination.
  65. Sep 2, 2013
    How can anyone give a 9 to this game?I guess they didnt try to play it with an unarmed specialist like I do.The game is perfect.One of the best games for the PC that will never lose its value.
  66. Nov 27, 2015
    The Original great Tactical RPG Experience Masterpiece that is Fallout 2.
    This was my first Fallout I've played back in the days.
    The Original great Tactical RPG Experience Masterpiece that is Fallout 2.
    This was my first Fallout I've played back in the days.
    The character building and how you wish to play it. Sneaky or guns blazing? High charisma and a speach only build. You could beat the game as you wanted. A true wasteland Fallout experience. The different speech options depending on your perks int and charisma. Yes the gripe was that not a lot has changed from Fallout 1 and not much has improved in the engine but for me this was not a big problem.
    Great story and soundtrack make you really immerse in the game. Spend countless hours exploring and questing. Finding interesting new easter eggs and fun facts.
    A lot of equipment, weapons and even a car to travel the wastelands. Some future looking equipment and old guns. Interesting locations with the limitations of that year the game has a lot of variance.
    A game that I come back from time to time just to have some fun.
    Great experience and a classic RPG. 9 out of 10.
  67. Feb 18, 2014
    OH MY GOD. How can anyone dislike this game? If your PC bugs out then get rid of your friggin viruses. No replay value? If you don't change the way you play it, then I guess it could seem so.
    This is a top cult classic game, which rocks the socks out of any other game ever made. PERIOD.
    I'd bet the reason "new kids" won't appreciate it is because they have no patience these days.
  68. Mar 1, 2015
    One of the best single player post nuclear games I've ever played. Not even Fallout 3 has managed to touch this game in terms of plot/writing/choices.
  69. Jun 19, 2012
    Bigger and better than F1 in every way. The amount of freedom offered by this game is simply unmatched. And considering the crap that passes as a cRPG these days, it'll most likely stay unmatched for a very long time.
  70. Nov 11, 2015
    Personally, I think Fallout 2 is the best in the series. Yeah, I know the graphics are 1999 and it plays in 2D but geez, this really is how a RPG should be. Once you get past the dated graphics you'll be gripped by the storyline and great dialogue. The dark humor of the Fallout series is at it's best here.
  71. ArturoV.
    Mar 11, 2006
    This is my favourite RPG of all time.
  72. Nov 22, 2015
    After completing first Fallout i waited and i waited and i waited. And finally, when the sequel hit the shelves, i hit the stores, and got my hands on a copy from a third try! :) was the wait worth it! :)
    Even though not much changed, the innovative additions and new storyline were welcome!
    Excellent Game!
    Fallout RuleZ, son! :D
  73. Nov 12, 2013
    While not quite as amazing as the original (which is just like saying x mountain isn't as tall as Everest) this is still one of the legendary RPGs of all time. If you have even a slight interest in top down RPGs, you need to get this.
  74. Feb 22, 2015
    Brilliant classics for post apo fans !
    I played it a lot in the past and now it is the right moment to come back to the roots.
    The game has a good design on its own.
  75. Jun 9, 2013
    one of the thing that i probably will never understand, it's how fallout 2 is still so obscure to the big public.
    after the release of fallout 3, i thought that f1 and f2 would have seen their importance recognized, but they are still semi unknown. this makes me sad :(
    anyway... if you never played fallout 2, grab it now and thanks me later.
  76. Jul 21, 2013
    Fallout 2 is the definition of a sequel that actually succeeds in going bigger and better than the first. Though, I lightly say it. As everything in this is amped up to it's full potential and doesn't disappoint, there are two major glaring issues that just make the first Fallout a better game.

It's thoroughly addicting, more so than the first Fallout, as it tightens up certain gameplay elements are smoothed up and some major improvements are put in (companion controls!). The scale of the map is massive, and feels like the largest Fallout to date. The amount of things to do will keep glued to this game for at least 50 hours.

Writing is also substantial, featuring more NPC interactions, large choices on what dialogue to choose is awesome.

But, the too biggest issues are the story and the pop culture references. The story is essentially a re-hash of the first Fallout. Replacing the water chip with the GECK, and mutants with the Enclave. It's more forgivable because the amount of things Fallout 2 offers and is essentially an excuse to go out exploring. The second would be the pop culture references. In Fallout 1, the pop culture references were fun and memorable because they were balanced out and didn't try too hard. Fallout 2 has an excessive amount of pop culture references and it looses it's charm and kind of kills the atmosphere.

Still, Fallout 2 is an addicting and fun game. Worth a playthrough or two.
  77. Dec 3, 2013
    Story wise, this is the best fallout game ever. The gameplay holds up ptetty well, and the violence is way overthe top in a good way. There are numourous pop cultar references. Less serious than the first fallout at times, and way darker at others. If gpu like games with a good story, this is for you.
  78. Mar 21, 2016
    I will start with saying that this game is far better then Fallout 3 (ps3), Fallout 4 (pc) and i probably enjoyed it more then new Vegas (ps3) too and tactics ( only played 2 hrs).

Onto the review. Gameplay: This game is a turn based rpg , set in a post apoclyptic world. You have huge map to explorer and you can if you want to go straight to the last locations. The game has tons of

Onto the review.
    Gameplay: This game is a turn based rpg , set in a post apoclyptic world. You have huge map to explorer and you can if you want to go straight to the last locations. The game has tons of various cool character you can talk to. And quests you can do. With multiple factions all with they own agendas, and if you don`t like any of them you can either kill them or skip doing those quests all together. Also every companion can be order to be offensive, use melee weapons or ranged, carry stuff or to wait or move if they stand in you way , witch may happens sometimes. It might no be the best gameplay but it still works just fine. And the game is neither to hard nor to unforgiving.

Character development / leveling/skills and quest: How your develop you character is entirely up to you. Do you want to fist you way trough the game you can do that. Do you wanna be a sniper and let your companions if you want to have companions do the fight for you , you can do just that. Do you want to play the game alone you can do that. For every four level you reach you can choose a skill and some of this skills is pretty good and actually has a meaning. Do you want to be a sweet talker and try to talk your way trough most of the quests you can do that. Compared to the later fallout especially fallout 4 at least in a large extent you have more freedom in how you do your quests and how you accomplish them all with multiple solutions and your choices also has consequences. All the character you meet have their own personalities and perhaps even problems or a reason they need your help or a reason why the want to join you and lastly those character especially on the companion side is plentiful and enough of them but not to many and neither to few. All skills have they own usefulness. Almost every character you meet has something to tell about the world. Plus if you really want to you can be a made - man/woman. And lastly you earn exp by doing quests and killing or even picking up a special items or using seeing special encounters. So yeah the game is pretty violent. Like shooting the groin of someone or the head of someone.

Factions: A short note on factions. Every factions as previously said have they own agendas. Some are evil som are good some are somewhere in between. Some want to make prostitution and gambling legal. Some want to focus on something else.

Setting: Perhaps most important of all is the setting. The setting is great. It feels very mush like an a post-apocalyptic game. All of the locations feel different in a good way. Different cultures. Different rules in the different places. Every places has it own mini-stories of side quests to tell. And with the wonderful music it could nt be any/much better. And the game has tons of Charm and Humor.

Music: the soundtrack is very good. And a lot of the tracks if not all you will remember.It really helps you immerse yourself into the setting

Bonus: I would put it here. The humor is very good. There is a lot of times you will laugh. Like missing a 95% hit or hitting a target with 20% hit for that matter. You will laugh by the funny and witty and good written dialogue. A lot of cool Easter eggs that even i understood or laughed and thought was funny, i am not the best at finding Easter eggs, but i could in this game.
    And the ending is more then good enough to and so is the voice acting at least for that time. And despite some few crashes the game is still utterly fantascic. Give it a shot , even if you disliked fallout 3/4. Hugely different.

Score : highly recommended 10/10 if you enjoy turn based rpg set in a wonderful and brilliant rpg setting
    One of the best pc game i have ever played if not the best . The only one that is close in Planescape, Deus ex and perhaps Max payne 2 and Portal 2.

And just if you wonder i would rate new Vegas 9.5
    fallout 3 9/10
    fallout 4 6-7/10

NBI am going to say this is beyond me why this game ha snt gotten enough recognition, well atleast that what it seems like. How a game like this can`t get on top 128 games on gamefaq when games like fallout 3 or say undertale ( as there is many who thought it should nt be there)or any top 50 pc games is beyond me. But i guess everyone has is taste, no bias. and yeah i know in the fallout community this is considered the best fallout game and i have to agree despite putting at least 250 hrs in fallout 3 and 250 hrs in new vegas if not more. Thx for reading.
  79. Dec 21, 2013
    A truly amazing game. As long as you don't mind having to read a lot, you will absolutely love this game. A definite contender for the best RPG of all time.
  80. Apr 11, 2013
    This game is a true example of how good classic games can be. The graphics are excellent even for an old game, it doesn't match up to newer games but it also doesn't hurt your eyes like the textures of many older games do. The story is great and it uses cut-scenes to give a realistic sense of urgency to the players main quest. I have NEVER run into any bug surprisingly, I don't know whatThis game is a true example of how good classic games can be. The graphics are excellent even for an old game, it doesn't match up to newer games but it also doesn't hurt your eyes like the textures of many older games do. The story is great and it uses cut-scenes to give a realistic sense of urgency to the players main quest. I have NEVER run into any bug surprisingly, I don't know what people saying this to have tons of glitches is about. The gameplay is great as well, absolutely flawless. You get absolute freedom, you can even kill children in this game if you like. Expand
  81. Oct 5, 2012
    The Greatness of this game is not nostalgia or wishful thinking. The greatness of this game is in the writing. In the mad excessive glory of the plot lines and the openess of the role playing to do what you want and play it anyway you could dare to imagine. There will come a day when developers gain the ambition to try and rebuild this with contemporary graphics or even make somethingThe Greatness of this game is not nostalgia or wishful thinking. The greatness of this game is in the writing. In the mad excessive glory of the plot lines and the openess of the role playing to do what you want and play it anyway you could dare to imagine. There will come a day when developers gain the ambition to try and rebuild this with contemporary graphics or even make something better. I hope they try, because if someone could do something like this in 2012 it would rock the gaming world with greatness Expand
  82. Dec 4, 2015
    With FO1 the best cRPG of all time.
    There really is no need for review just here to give it a 10
    Proof that video games can be an art form.
    It has everything and exceeds where most new game fails.
  83. Apr 19, 2013
    Fallout 2 is simply without a doubt, one of the most underated rpg games in history! It is similar to the first Fallout in which i will say, if it aint broken, dont fix it! This game will be another one of the classic gems that will forever be rememberd and respected by me!
  84. Dec 18, 2015
    Why more companies didn't learn from this classic I will never know. Fallout 2 defines RPG. I still play this game currently and find it just as rewarding as when it was released.
  85. christopherc
    Sep 13, 2009
    If its buggy try restoration project by killap!includes new cities and children removed from the original game
  86. Feb 3, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout 2 is a perfect sequel, certainly loyal to what was the first Fallout. Of course: we must still remember that the first chapter is where it all started, but certainly in the second, is where everything has been continued in a great way.

Fallout 2's plot maybe isn't impactful as the first chapter, but it has certainly a very high quality. I liked the "tribal" style in which the game is started, with the Temple of Trials and the Arroyo village's charm. The historical background is not complex as complex as that of the first chapter, but provides valuable revelations about previous events: the failure to deliver the water-chip to Vault 13 and the mistake of shipping with Vault-City (what an irony, thinking back to the first Fallout), but especially the abominable role of the Vaults and the social experiments program. In this context, the role of the Enclave is predominant and impressive: if in the first Fallout, the Master recognized the grandeur of evolution, here the Enclave despises it; denying the survival and the will to survive of the human race, by labeling the "different" or "survivor" as mutated or subhuman. They are what remains of the United States, and in this there is also a critical view to the country, which we know today, which isn't a holy-country. Kill millions of people under the guise of purifying the human race, proclaiming itself as the "world policeman" as quoted in the game. Frank Horrigan himself, is a contradiction: a true mutant, who hates mutants. Enclave's plans can be summed up in the saying "the end justifies the means". And in the end of all this arrogance, as a purifying poetry, the game ends with a huge atomic explosion, a symbol of the past, and the devastation of the atomic power unleashed by human hands, that once again triumphs on everything, and reigns supreme. A scene that puts chills, and a perfect ending.

Fallout 2's gameplay is generally an improvement of that of the first chapter: commands to manage the companions are much more complex and more strategic, the number of weapons has been changed and increased, the level cap to 21 has been removed allowing the player to progress further and become stronger. The trading system remained perfect as it was, but now the traders have a respawn of goods, allowing the adventure to be much more accessible and dynamic, creating a real economy between the character and the game world. The system in which the skills affect the character is always perfect, and based on rigid mathematical calculations. The map has been expanded (about 2 times bigger, I heard) and also the number of visitable locations has increased obviously; among these you can also revisit the Vault 13, Vault 15, the base of Mariposa and Shady Sands, who were present in the first Fallout. For the main quest there is no time limit, unlike the first chapter, and this to me personally liked because you can complete many beautiful side quests without hurry. Even the achievement of individual objectives in the main quest is easier and more intuitively. However the game is not any easier: in fact the problems begin already in the Temple of Trials and the random fights in the game map are simply absurd; you can meet group of 6 or even 8 enemies that attack you, one after the other, and you can't even heal the wounds that you're already dead. I noticed that even some enemies can move 2 times per turn. This doesn't make the game fun, but only frustrating. On the opposite I rather liked the fight against the final boss, Frank Horrigan, that it has been difficult but balanced and fulfilling.

The graphics are identical to that of the first Fallout, there is always the charm of the isometric view, and the artistic retro-futuristic and steampunk beauty that makes Fallout 2, a true Fallout game. The soundtrack is excellent, legacy of the soundtrack of the first chapter.

Fallout 2 is really a great sequel. Certainly it isn't fascinating and revolutionary as the first Fallout, and could be better. But it's still a great classic RPG and a masterpiece.

1. Perhaps even more so than its predecessor, Fallout 2 contains dozens of subtle and more often not-so-subtle references to cult movies, television icons, and other aspects of popular culture.
  2. Fallout 2 is a worthy successor to Fallout, and one that deserves a place in every dedicated role-playing gamer's collection. Don't be without it!
  3. The warm, fuzzy, post-apocalyptic world has all the little details and exactly the right tone. The immersive story has kept me up until the wee hours of the morn on many occasions.