8.0

1. Nov 13, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyable, and worth every penny. I bought the GOTY edition which made it even more fun. Every aspect of this game draws you in! The campaign can take a long time to finish, and there are plenty of different outcomes from the choices you make. This makes for a great replayable game. Storyline is impeccable, and the graphics are amazing!
  2. Aug 14, 2010
    Game have too many slave-quests, like make this, and for this u must run 100 miles and shoot to all generated monsters and crime-men.

Fallout 1 and 2 was made for more freedom of players. And if u clear some place this place still clean.

For playing with enjoy player must fully understand textual and audio information in game. But Fallout 3 on Steam-system was without Russian language.
  3. Sep 7, 2010
    This game is good..very good.The rpg elements are good.the gameplay is awesome,and the story is also very interesting.I was very amazed of the work done by bethesda softworks.It was very good.
  4. Sep 26, 2010
    This is Oblivion in future.I give it a 10 not only because i liked The elder scrolls 4 oblivion very much but for its nice game play elements as well as the exploring world.A nice game detailed and in which the atmosphere is very very realistic. You can see the elder scrolls elements in it like jumping at a place if you have discovered it or the usage and repair of items.But netherless is a solid game even if the main story is short has many side quests Expand
  5. Oct 6, 2010
    this is a great game for anyone who likes to explore large areas and this game is easy to play due to the targeting system making it much easier for people with even the WORST aim in the world to pick up the game and get into it imediantly.
  6. Oct 12, 2010
    Great game, lots to do and a massive play area to explore, I sort of don't like VATS and the large amount of ordinance it takes to put things down, but that doesn't even merit half a point deduction.
    Story is pretty interesting in a wasteland of uninteresting stories that fill most games these days.
    Really sucks you in, just wish the FPS aspect was a bit better implemented ie. no
    autoaim, stronger weaponry being used by/against you. Tons of content for 20 or 30 bucks, can't go wrong. Expand
  7. Oct 28, 2010
    Okay, lots of people gave this game bad reviews so I'd like to address some of those, First off to the hundred or so people who said "Its hard to find ammo" I say, Your playing in a nuceluar wasteland after a huge atomic war, ammo isn't really a main concern for people then. To the people who say i cant find anyone to interact with I say, GO TO A CITY!, For the game itself its gameplay is amazing, the guns are realistic the textures are amazing the PC versions great because you can mod. Fight sequences are unique and challengeing and it is hard to kill thinkgs, guess why, THEY ARE MUTATED HUMANS! MUTATED! HUGE GREEN MUTANTS! Overall this game is definitly worth 50 bucks hell this games worth 100, ive got 800 hours for Fallout 3 on steam so thats gotta mean something. Expand
  8. Nov 18, 2010
    i am so addicted to Fallout 3, i play it alot, i am a god in the game, i really enjow useing the Laser pistol and the Rocket launcher, i hate playing as a badass in the game, im always the goodguy
  9. Dec 18, 2010
    Very good game, the extra DLC's were an amazing add on. Very fun and very mod-able to provide hours of fun, I bought it expecting a game I would play once and then probably never again. I was proven wrong. Bethesda goes and make an excellent game that had me hooked and has caused me to play the campaign more times then I can remember. With 100 hours of game play I can safely say, if you like RPG's, 1st and 3rd person shooters, trust me on this you will love Fallout 3. With complete freedom and lots of guns, weapons, and quests, you will be spellbound by the awesomeness of this game. Expand
  10. Jul 19, 2011
    A truly epic adventure--an absolute stellar collaboration of FPS and RPG experiences. The vast open landscape allows unhindered exploration. The game offers a wealth of NPC characters, each having their own distinct personalities opening or limiting choices based on how you interact with them. The story conversations go far beyond simple dialog, offering players deep and rich character development. There's even multiple paths/outcomes depending on the choices you make throughout the game. Multitudes of different monster types and weapons. While the story and side missions are enough to keep anyone busy for hours on end, the DLCs are well integrated and keep the game fresh for many more. Expand
  11. Feb 16, 2011
    I got this game a couple years a go for Christmas. Since then I have played hours and hours of this game. I was shocked to see how many people just despise this game. This Game is a work of Art! The only downfall of this game is Games for Windows live. I personally didn't mind too much mainly because I bought it retail. If you buy on Steam Keep that in mind.

Performance wise I was able to
    run the game full resolution on medium settings on a old duel core machine flawlessly. If you are worried about bugs, most of them have been worked out at this point.

If you are looking for a game that will last you this game will do that and more. If the base game wasn't enough the DLC adds even more. I highly advise that you get the game of the year edition because it comes with the DLC and you save money.
  12. Aug 9, 2011
    This game kicks ass on every level. Core i7 920,GTX275,6 gigs Mushkin DDR3, Win 7 64, and runs beautifully so the people saying quad cores have an issue.. nah.. you may have an issue. Depth of story has been built upon for years and years from FO to NV it has been great to watch it evolve. this still remains my favorite of the series.. the graphics, environment, NPC's all grab you and pull you in to where you forget yourself and take another role... this game is 10/10, 100%, KA award and a legend that stands along with others on " the best ever made". list.â Expand
  13. Feb 23, 2011
    Whenever i think of this game i think of what a good time i had (and still do) scavenging and roaming the wasteland. I just love this game and i love Bethesda for making it.
  14. May 16, 2011
    ONE OF THE GREATEST RPGs I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN MY WHOLE LIFE. Whoever doesn't like this is a distasteful idiot. Sure there are a couple of bugs and a bit of lag. but who really cares? The setting is fantastic, the writing is top-notch, the voice acting is great, the side-quests are enjoyable and infinitely replayable, the combat is solid and suits the game very well, looting is satisfying, levelling up is perfect, the characters have true variety and depth, the graphics have aged well and produce some STUNNING views (such as the destroyed, barren landscape that is the Capital Wasteland, or watching Megaton go up in an extremely satisfying and explosive mushroom cloud) and the locations are so iconic, they border on fantastical. But Fallout 3's greatest strength isn't it's combat or its graphics; its the sheer freedom and sense of scale: as soon as you leave the confines of Vault 101 you drink in this endless, barren landscape and realise there are endless possibilities. Wrangle children for slavers. Collect bobbleheads. Blow up a town or two. Or simply just explore. If you play any RPG, Fallout 3 is it. Expand
  15. Jan 31, 2014
    Fallout 3 is - 6 years down the line - probably my favourite game. It's also one of the only two games |I've given a 10 to here on Metacrtic.

It's not perfect (crashing is a way of life) but the open world game-play gives the option for creating your own story or just mucking about that no other sandbox game I've played has yet managed to capture.
  16. Aug 7, 2011
    The greatest game of all time. Those complaining of "crashes" are using **** computers. Those complaining of "paying for DLC's" are cheap and probably stole the game. There is nothing... NOTHING anyone can say about this game that should sway you from NOT purchasing it. This is THE game to end all games.
  17. May 30, 2011
    One of the all time best games. The plethora of easter eggs makes this game all the better. Great solid story with a fantastic RPG play style that really lets you fully dictate every action your character does. Funny and extremely action packed game play with great graphics and animations. I recommend Fallout 3 to anyone who loves RPGs.
  18. Jun 4, 2011
    I went into this game with literally no idea how the story went and what the setting was and if im totally honest, it was the greatest game i have ever played, although i dont play many games i just know that this game will always be my favourite game
  19. Aug 31, 2011
    Fallout 3 is one deep, dark, sad and one of the best RPGs ever. Set in post-apocalyptic world player assumes role of Lone Wanderer on his mission to find and save his father who left safety of the Vault 101. Epic story, combat, V.A.T.S., enemies and atmosphere coupled with awesome gameplay make this game worthwhile investition.
  20. Jun 15, 2011
    10. This game is massive. Hours and hours of game play. I have about 130+ and there are still places I haven't been, and things I have yet to do. This game is much better than Fallout New Vegas. The story is deeper, I feel like I have a reason, meaning to explore, to find out. The story is very rich, and the game is very absorbing. The amount of content in this game is unreal. Bethesda has done it again. Absolutely perfect game, in every regard. And to those who say it's doesn't have enough action, your mistaken. It has a mixture of everything, instead of 100% one thing. That's what makes this game so fantastic it has so many elements, and gives you reason to play it over and over, because it'll always turn out different. Expand
  21. TTT
    Aug 19, 2011
    I can't descrive this game . It's so beutiful .
  22. Jul 30, 2011
    Honestly a breath taking game!, I still play it and the mods are great. It has a wonderful environment, the vast open wasteland lots of quests to do areas to explore and the best DLC's in a game. Honestly theres no better game I have ever played in my life and must get for anyone I definitely recommend it alot :) 10/10 by a mile for me!
  23. Nov 8, 2011
    The very best out of all of the Fallout games. I would not recommend any expansion packs though - once you have completed a large amount of the content in this game, I'd recommend going to New Vegas.
  24. Aug 7, 2011
    The best game I've ever played in my opinion. Awesome storyline a boat load of side quests, guns, and characters make this a one of a kind game. Add the five awesome dlc's on top of that and you have a true gaming masterpiece. The only problem that i can find is that it can freeze ever so often but isn't a problem if you have patience.
  25. Aug 8, 2011
    One of the best RPG games ever.
    Great story, Great game play, paradise for Mods
    you can play this game for over the 300 hour if not more
    you can customize your own character, and you level by an XP system
    that has bin put in very nice

Sealreth,
  26. Sep 29, 2011
    Just...wow. If you play it, and I mean REALLY play it, it will immerse you in a way no game has accomplished in years for me. By the time I did everything on the map (side quests etc) and finished the story line, I'd racked up 157 hours of in game time (doesn't count menu surfing, which is a huge portion of it). It looks gorgeous, the combat is deep and spontaneous, and the NPC's are interesting enough that it holds together quite well as a 'world'. I have to say it: there are bugs that can be terribly annoying at times (like ones that kill you party going through doors, or flat out crashes). But I can overlook it for the sheer quantity of content and how much I enjoyed it. Solid recommend to everyone. Expand
  27. Sep 29, 2011
    Now this game is worthy of the title "epic". Same scenario as the wonderful 1st and 2nd Fallouts, with a new engine and perspective on the game. Everything you could want in a Fallout game, and more.
  28. Nov 12, 2011
    I would recommend Fallout 3 to everyone (especially game of the year edition), so much to do, but just not enough time! I don't know how many days, weeks and months I used to explore every little bit, taking all the quest, following the 'good' storyline and the 'bad'. This game is what you should play -Bethesdas bigest succes! Graphics is great, and you don't need those high-end-computers for it.
    Comparede to their new game Skyrim, this is the bomb! Graphics is not much different, but still in Skyrim you need to buy a computer with the price about 2000 U.S dollars to play it at the fullest, no just play it without lagg. Don't always look forward, also look backwards, because you will find this game, and I can ensure you, it is worth every goddamn coin!
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    Considering its release date, I think FO3 should rate about an 8. Despite a few issues, its a great game that is very huge and offers so much to do(especially with all the player created mods and so forth). So why did I rate it a 10? I see some other reviewers in here literally admitted to rating the game at "0" for the sole reason to influence its overall score down to something "they" believe it should be. Its like they are spoiled little brats who spit on a cake cause they don't want anyone else to like it if they don't. Anyway, their tactic works both ways. I gave the game a 10 to counter some of their false scores. That means their score and my score cancel each other out but I can live with that Expand
  30. Oct 27, 2011
    Nearly every aspect of this game has already been critiqued and reviewed. With this game making my top 3 all time favorite games list, I was not impressed with the reviews and score it received. I loved every aspect of this game, everything was nearly perfect and you're left just wanting more. Yes the game would crash occasionally, but all the good things about this game outweighed this minor annoyance. It would be inhumane for me to rate this anything less than 10. m/ Expand
  31. Nov 2, 2011
    Hands down one of the top ten games ever released. After countless hours, nay, days of fun gameplay, any game would become a little dull. But this, like most Bethesda titles, has an avid mod community that keeps it updated, so with Fallout 3 you can play a new game every week. Last week I was blasting nazis in the Alps (with canon weapons too, still use my luger even though I'm done with the mod), before that I was playing with EVERY GUN EVER MADE, not kidding, ask anything and it'll be there. Before that I fought in a zombie apocalypse, and went to iceland, and got a motorcycle, and lived in a series of mansions, dabbled in witchcraft, Shot 300 nukes at once out of a pistol at stuff, fought every fallout monster from the prequels, and etc..... Plus if none of those sound fun to you, there are ample modding tools to make your own. With no prior experience I went on to rebuild an entire museum, got an army of old guys to punch my enemies to death, and made my guy 300 feet tall. Nuff said. If at first it wasn't a ten by now we've made it one. Expand
  32. Nov 12, 2013
    Probably Bethesda's finest hour. The absolute.. hands down.. best first person open world game on the planet. Blows everything else away and also carries on a universe I'd already fell in love with while playing the previous titles in the series. Magnificent.
  33. Mar 15, 2012
    I have been playing video games all my life. Fallout 3 is one of the best games I have ever played. Revolutionary when it came out in 2008. Fallout universe > Elder Scrolls.
  34. Nov 9, 2011
    Fallout 3 is easily one of my favorite games. Quite possibly one of the best values in gaming as well. I could spend hours roaming the wasteland scavenging and taking out mutants. Lots to see and do, and especially fun for a fan of the the classic Fallout titles. Just glad that I got to spend more time with/as another vault dweller yet again.
  35. Nov 18, 2011
    Fallout 3 is asking a lot. It asks to be forgiven for mediocre graphics, for a forgettable storyline, for poor AI, for poor animation and for linear directed characters. The funny thing is, this game is one of the greatest I have ever played. I can't really describe why, you just need to play the game for yourself. It manages to immerse you fully as you explore the Capital Wasteland. It manages to convey a feeling of pure epicness and you take out a super mutant with a sniper rifle from miles away while listening to the tunes of GNR. Fallout 3 expects us to play the game with a degree of leniency, and funnily enough, after playing for an hour or two most people forget the bugs and glitches that plague this game. Expand
  36. Nov 20, 2011
    I will first review this properly without my own opinions, then include them. The game is giant; there are over 200 locations to explore. This gives a lot of playing time, and the inclusion of the karma feature allows each player to take their own path. It doesn't offer multiple story paths unlike it's successor New Vegas, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your taste. I found it buggy a couple of times, but nothing too serious. The shooting action isn't amazing, the focus is on the in-game feature 'VATS' but i rarely used this as I felt it took too long for each enemy. Now my own opinion is, I freakin' loved this game. I borrowed it quickly off my dad one week and that was about a year ago. I've played it through about 4 times, it was just a fantastic experience that I loved. There was real strategy about making money, how much weight you could carry, dropping items for more valuable ones. I have bought most of the DLC afterwards because I really wanted to carry it on. You can pick it up cheap, I hope you won't regret it. Expand
  37. Dec 25, 2011
    lease listen! Fallout 3 maybe the best game I've ever played. If this game had some nudity in it would be the best game of of all time. Fallout 3 has HOURS of game play. I've had it a week and I've put 54 hours into playing it. I rank Fallout 3 right up there with Half-Life. The story line is great. You choose your own path. You pick if your good or bad. Help people for free and be a hero or take what you need and be a raider. Please buy this game its one of the best games out today! Expand
  38. Dec 6, 2012
    Legendary! One of my favourite RPG's of all time, it's easy to forgive it's big amount of flaws but it's rather easy to forgive those when you have an fantastic open world, decent modding community and top notch DLC, A must have!
  39. Feb 5, 2012
    One of my most favorite games ever. Everything about the game is great, I almost never encountered bugs, only few did I encounter. This game got me into post-apocalyptic games and made me fall in love with them. Worth all the time and money I spent into this game.
    I think everyone should give this game a try, it's a really good game.
  40. Jan 21, 2012
    Such a great game! I don't see why people write bad reviews just because a few little things just ruin everything the game gives. The only thing that I don't like about the game is just the total environment. It is just too dull for me as you would think 200 years after a nuclear holocaust that sky would be blue and that there would be some vegetation coming back. Otherwise, I don't have a thing to complain about, but I don't let the environment ruin everything else that is included in the game. I simply love the game, though once you're done exploring everywhere and done with all the quests, it gets kind of boring. But that's why there's mods out there! They add excitement back to the game and some even help clear out glitches and help increase difficulty, realism, and the environment of the game. Even though the mods weren't made by Bethesda, they're still part of the game. So in all, completely awesome game and I cannot wait to buy Fallout 4 when it comes out! Expand
  41. Feb 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout 3 is by far my favourite video game I have ever played. I played it for X Box 360, as well as for PC, i greatly enjoyed playing it through multiple times, I played the first two or three times without the DLC, and i liked it a lot. but i must say, it makes the game a whole if you have all the DLC because it makes the game more playable. for instance, without DLC, you die at the end without the DLC, but if you have the DLC (i think it is broken steel DLC... not sure.) it makes it so you were only knocked unconscious, and you awaken back at the citadel 2 weeks later, unlocking countless more hours of play time. my game play time on X Box 360 is in total at least 2 months worth of play time, and my PC play time is only around 3 weeks, because i just recently bought it. but it is the only game i can play NON-STOP without getting bored. fallout 3 is definitely the best game ever played. when i played New Vegas, i was greatly disappointed. i went back to Fallout 3 and was satisfied. i give this game 10/10. but in reality this game would break the scale, it is truly a god in the video game library, and should be in every gamers arsenal. Expand
  42. Mar 15, 2012
    really amazing game, sure its not as great at being a shooter as call of duty, and its not as time consuming as fallout 1 and 2, but its atmosphere really sets it apart from any other game on the market. the dungeons in fallout 3 have arguably more story then its main quest line, which may seem like a bad thing but for an open world rpg such as this it allows for a lot of replay value and enjoyable exploration. i would also like to add that there is a tension added to this game if you play it on the hardest difficulty. Expand
  43. Mar 19, 2012
    The fallout universe is one of the gaming universes I love the most. The huge open wasteland is fun to explore and very well designed. The progression system is one of the best I've seen, rewarding you xp for killing, questing, lockpicking, persuading etc. If there's something I would like to see an improvement on it must be the combat. I would have liked to see more action oriented combat maybe a little more like an fps, but this is still an amazing game, and one of my favourite rpg's! Expand
  44. Mar 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An excellent game where your choices actually alternate the ending. The leveling system is good with all needed skills and the perk system is out of this world. I can understand why someone wouldn't like this game that much but seriously someone gave a FREAKING 0 TO THIS GAME! It's understandable to give it a 7 but not 0 Expand
  45. May 6, 2012
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. Wait, scratch that, THE best game I've ever played. The open world with great atmosphere, the people who look and act like they should, the weapons that aren't overpowered yet effective, and to top it all off, the DLC is excellent.

This game looks just right. If I imagine a nuclear wasteland of DC, Fallout 3 portrays that exactly as I
    imagined. The people in the game look great. The creatures you face are varied and challenging, and graphically spot-on.

The music, oh the music, is overwhelmingly great. It matches the atmosphere precisely. Dialogue is great, I love the system.

In summary, this game is the best game I've ever played. Every aspect of the game is perfect, 10/10.
  46. May 10, 2012
    Game of the Year 2000-2010. Take pride Bethesda. This is the holy grail of RPG's, except for maybe Skyrim but that came later. You start in a Vault and develop your character from being born, to a young man, before being thrust into the Capital Wasteland on an epic quest in search of your Father. Most of this game is exploration and questing. Immersion is deep and you will spend hours upon hours of your time simply exploring caves and ruined metro systems. Bethesda gives you many opportunities to deal with problems. At the start of the game you are confronted with a Bully. Now you can simply beat the crap out of him but you can also talk to his friends and convince them to rebel against him. You can kill hoards of enemies to get into a secret room, or simply fix some gears to open the door and just walk in easily. 10/10
    The game has no flaws even worth mentioning.
  47. Jun 18, 2012
    I am not giving Fallout 3 a 10 to bring the score up as some people gave it a 0 simply to bring the score down. That would be blantly dishonest, just as the people who gave it a 0 were patently dishonest and mean spirited toward a fabulous game. This is a great game deserving of GOTY. You get more than your monies worth with this game and you can replay it over and over. Read the reviews that give it a 10. Those reviewers love this game. Blown away by the detail of the world. Detail contributes to its, in my opinion, greatest ability: the ability to immerse the player in the world of Fallout 3. Gamers talk about the immersion factor of games. This immersion litany is one of the top factors for liking a game. Fallout 3 is by far one of the most immersive games out there. Now, look at the negatives, and the downright disingenuous trashing of Fallout 3, especially by those who gave it a 0 or a maximum of 2. Their criticism rings false. The score minus the false reviews would bring the 7.8 up closer to 9.1 the professional critics gave the game. Fallout 3 has all the traits of one of the great games produced. May their be a Fallout 4 very soon. Expand
  48. Jan 29, 2013
    The depressing atmosphere, the gunplay, the graphics (although a bit dated, Fallout 3 still looks good), the sounds, the quests, the huge map ... Call me a fanboy, but since it came out, Fallout 3 is my #1 PC game, I literally spent hundreds of hours with it and can't wait for Fallout 4. Your turn, Bethesda.
  49. Jul 7, 2012
    It's an amazing Action RPG game. It all takes place in a post-apocalyptic Washington, DC years after The Great War that has led to a worldwide massive nuclear destruction. The capital has been reduced to a wasteland with mutants, a dangerous wildlife and people trying to make a living. Many has gone underground seeking safety in hi-tech Vaults were people has developed a small society. You are a vault resident from Vault 101 and your father is a scientist that runs away for reasons that are unknown. You set out to find him and get some answers. In the game you get to make your own character choosing gender, looks and age. You get to wander the wastes and explore it. The game has a wide variety of weapons and armors. You can kill your enemies using a targeting system called V.A.T.S. that allows you to freeze the moment and zoom in on your enemies choosing were you want to shoot them, and the odds for hitting those certain limbs. Fallout 3 is without a doubt the best RPG game I have ever played. It has so much content and replay value. You decide if you want to be good, evil or neutral. There are tons of choices to be made that has an effect of how people sees you as a person. Even though the game has some technical issues including numerous amount of bugs and a robotic movement it's something you shouldn't miss out on. Expand
  50. Jul 15, 2012
    Don't play it like oblivion! I feel I have to admit that when I first played this game, I got very bored of it and gave up quickly. After playing fallout 1&2 I realized why, I was playing it wrong. With the takeover of the series by bethesda if you have played oblivion you will realize a very similar look, feel and gameplay, but keep in mind this is not oblivion and resist the temptation to play as if it where (one central city to keep returning to, game will guide you in the right direction). Playing it in the style of fallout 1&2 provides for a much more interesting and enjoyable gameplay Expand
  51. Oct 8, 2012
    This is a great game from start to finish the fact that you can do what ever the FU*K you want made for me one of the best games ive ever played, the only down side to this game was the story and the ending i hated the fact that the game just ended, their was so much more i would have liked to do also running this game on pc is very diffecat and time consuming, LOVED THIS GAME AND WOULD RECAMED IT TOO EVERY BODY Expand
  52. JGo
    Aug 1, 2012
    One of the best games ever. Absolutely genius.
  53. Aug 1, 2012
    Fallout 3 is the best game ever, and all the haters are just sad that its not a turn-based game anymore. Well I think that the RPG/FPS format is genius. Also, who cares if it has a lot of bugs? Thats what makes the game so unique.
  54. Dec 29, 2012
    I absolutely love this game, I have played it over and over again and it still doesn't get boring. I'm not to sure what keeps me in it, maybe the ability to mod at your will or just the fact you can do what ever the heck you want. Yes, there is bugs, but there are mods to fix that. I'll admit the vanilla game of this can be pretty dull, but when you add mods its epic and never ending. The story line is a little short, but still fun. There is defiantly more than enough place to explore, quests to find, and loot. Expand
  55. Nov 16, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played, I got it quite recently, and have already 'wasted' 40 hours on it. For people who look here to buy this game, I decided to refute some of the negative reviewers arguments.

It's world doesn't have enough stuff!: I don't know where you've been, but if you have a brain, you should be able to find ridiculous amounts of content, I recall there's 161
    marked locations on the map, and that's not including the numerous unmarked locations and Downloadable Content areas.

But it's not the fallout game I'm used to!: Sorry, but it's now produced by Bethesda, and it was bound to change, personally I prefer it's FPS and faux turn system, but I can understand why others would prefer the old system. It's really a matter of preferance, just don't expect it to be the same as 1 and 2

It's lackluster and shouldn't be more than $10!: Think of it this way, most high quality games are $50-60, and while this is no longer the highest quality you can buy, it's worth the price you pay. Besides, if you buy it on steam, it's only 9.99 :P

It doesn't work for my system D:!: Well, not really anything to deny here, it does have alot of these problems. It mainly has trouble with windows 7, so if you don't have that you *should* be good. Sometimes it will freeze up on start, I advise restarting the game, it seems to work for me

The V.A.T.S. system is too overpowered!: Then don't use it, yep, it's really that simple. It's completely unnecessary and if you don't use it, you'll progress in the storyline just fine.

Storyline is too short!: It depends on what you consider storyline, if you just want to complete the necessary quests, then yes, but if you want to complete all the content in the game, it'll probably take a few days
  56. Jan 20, 2013
    One of the best RPG experiences you could ask for. A truly open world, tons to do, a great V.A.T.S. system, You would do yourself a deservice if you didn't pick this up
  57. Sep 21, 2012
    Definitely a title worth buying, this game will never die. If you're trying this after coming from any Elder Scrolls titles, you must play this with an open mind, and not assume anything simply because of the developer. This game was never intended to be anything similar to any of the Elder Scrolls games.
  58. Apr 29, 2013
    I can see bugs everywhere....
    But beyond this fog of crashes there is an absolute masterpiece.
    Not so hard to complete, but it's impossible to stop to play it .

If you can play it, you must love it.
  59. Nov 4, 2012
    PLAY THIS GAME. Its is simply amazing, playing the first 2 and tactics, I can tell you this lives up to and surpasses the originals. New Vegas was acceptable, but for 2008 this game is mind blowing.
  60. Oct 5, 2012
    I know this game fails to capture the spirit of Fallouts 1 & 2, but its still a whole lot of fun. I know that the main quest is pretty bad, but its still a whole lot of fun. I hate the vaults in this game. I don't enjoy picking around through the same dumb-assed assets everywhere you go. Despite all that this game is a MAGNIFICENT ACHIEVEMENT. No game is perfect, and this game has plenty of little details about it that irritate, more than a few. Still you can't deny the amazing feeling you get in Fallout 3, that you really are walking around in a desolate post-apocalyptic wasteland. I can't undersatand the level of love for Skyrim, in which your character's progression has been violated by horrible design changes and you have to endure a horrible UI. Nor can I understand the 'purist objections to this game, where the UI and character progression are so WELL done. Buggy Shmuggy! Fallout 3 is FANTASTIC! Expand
  61. Oct 4, 2012
    I read here people were saying Fallout 3 was Oblivion with guns. No, that's not the case. Contrary to Oblivion, EVERY place on the maps is worth visiting because you can always find something new. The leveling system is also much, much better. The main story may not be the best, but still more interesting than Oblivion's. The only thing that I find similar is that enemies get stronger way too quickly. Fallout 3 is full of secrets and crazy things to discover, where Oblivion is dull and boring and always the same. The add-ons give the cake its topping (okay, I'll credit Oblivion having a great add-on with Shivering Isles too). This game has nearly everything I wanted Oblivion to have and continues the spirit Morrowind had way better. Expand
  62. Sep 26, 2013
    amazing game you will play through once a year to re-experience at least that's what i do!

This is a game other games aspire to be a game that captures all the right elements an engages the abundance with pure entertainment an exuberant experience. You will feel like you are in the waste land the you become attached to your protagonist through the customization of him or her seeing that
    he or she is silent witch is what a rpg character should be. Expand
  63. Nov 25, 2012
    I bought this game for christmas with my xbox. I still have great memories about fallout. I rreally didnt know about it, never even knew what fallout was. This was my first fallout game to play. Yes it has plenty of bugs everywhere but its a bethesda game, nothing of that size can be fully patched to not have glitches. The story was wonderful and well written. I got myself to glitch the game ending and It was a bummer to start it all over, since I didnt save it alot and the lastest save was on the beggining of the mission, but it was my fault anyway (1st time) I later burned the disk after accidentally pushing my xbox so I bought the GOTY, since it was released then. I did the story line and fortunately I didnt break it horribly. Then I got to the DLCs which were great in theory but not so well realised ( im talking to you Operation Anchorage ) and the worst one was Operation anchorage, God, as a idiot that I am, I still didnt learn the lesson to SAVE THE DAMN GAME. I started it all over ( 2nd time ) again since I couldnt complete the damn DLC. So after some damn butthurt of completing the story I got myself to rank up and begun with Mothership zeta to get some guns and money. Mothership zeta was repetitive. Very Very Very repetitive but I still managed to suck the fun out of it and GOT LOTS OF MONEH! Then I got with the pitt, the pitt was bad, seriously bad, but since Im such a bastard I still sucked all the fun of cheating and killing people.. Then.. Then.. Then.. THE HORROR COMETH! I had to do Operation Anchorage. Goddamit I hate that DLC. I took me a week of pain in the anus to get over it, and the best thing I got off of it was that stealth suit, which didnt even suit me. Now back to the wasteland I got back to side stuff, and believe me, I hated every single side mission in every game ever, but fallout, fallout used envy to make you do the side missions, and it did a good job at making me do them, giving me my own taste of medicine. The most horrible one, which I felt guilty to do was to destroy megaton, I loved megaton I used to trade all the alien guns I got and to save them there. But I destroyed the **** out of it because of Moira Brown, Oh god I hated her, She felt very compelled to drag me into her dirty buisness, And if you were asking I didnt have enough skill to dissarm the bomb. So I left it for later, then I met that other guy and for the sake of my sanity I destroyed it. THEN I FOUND OUT THAT MOIRA IS STILL ALIVE......... Moving on, there were not many good side quest but the open world, the mods, oh the mods, I may need some years to talk about the mods. but the frosting in the cheesecake in fallout are random events, dogmeat, and some random things that may make you go wtf.. To blend it all in one piece, Fallout is one of the games of the century. PERIOD Expand
  64. Dec 4, 2012
    Fallout 3 is one of the greatest of the games since ever,no one could doubt its value.As the time i goes out of the vault 101,a story begins and a legendary is beginning to write.I can spend hours and hours and i can breakd it out once again and again,much more, the mods,everyone knows that.
  65. Nov 30, 2012
    I bought Fallout 3 and all DLCs at full price when they were released on DVDs. Being a fan of Fallout apocalyptic universe, I remembered I almost cried with excitement when I survived the initial wasteland trip and reached the very first city (Megaton). I loved the open-ended gameplay and rich storyline and side mission. This is one out of two games that I re-purchased on Steam for collection purpose. Expand
  66. Jun 19, 2013
    Post-apocalyptic open world FPS-RPG with an epic storyline where your actions actually influence and impact what happens in the world and how you advance the story (first town of Atom, anyone?) while also providing great and memorable characters and decent action? Sign me up!

Buggy, but beautiful. Gameplay and combat could be better, but definitely still enjoyable. NOTICE: Would've
    rated this a 9 were it not for the fact that this really got me hooked into playing open world RPG games, and RPG games in general actually, so this game does have added special value to me and in my eyes deserves a bump because of that. Expand
  67. Dec 15, 2013
    I love this game. The customization is amazing, the world is huge and expansive and there isn't anywhere you can go without finding something interesting.
  68. Dec 20, 2012
    This game was one of the best games i have ever played. It's not just the game play but the idea itself.
    The storyline and the game play made me feel i was in the fallout-world myself. I do not have much enthusiasm with games but this game changed my idea about it. The graphics were not bad and the game play was pretty difficult sometimes, the DLC 's were fantastic too, although the
    storyline was way too short. This was an amazing RPG. Here and there there were bugs but they were no problem. Every time i play Fallout: New Vegas i think to myself why they haven't made it like Fallout 3 , because this game rocks ! Expand
  69. Dec 24, 2012
    Fantastic game when it came out and even better now, As with most Bethesda titles they are very buggy when they come out but these past 4 years have served FO3 well. A great modding community has provided FO3 with a range of high fidelity face lifts as well as tonnes of new custom animations, quests and items. Since its an older game the GOTY edition can be picked up for a low price and you get great value for money with the amount of time you can spend in it.

It is great fun to explore the post apocalyptic DC and finding all the unique and bizarre characters that live there. Lots of entertaining quests, characters and items to use with great voice acting and story. The vanilla game does have its issues with it being quite easy for experienced players and the animations messing up slightly but for those who like a challenge there are lots of mods available like FO3 Wanderers Edition which provide a gritty hardcore experience for this game.

Without the modding community this title atm would be around an 8 given whats available at a similar price but there is no excuse not to pick up a few staple mods like MMM and a HQ texture pack if you PC can handle it - all made considerably easier with Fallout Mod manager.

You will struggle to find as much entertainment and Hardcore RPG gameplay for as good a price as you can at the moment with a Modded FO3 a must buy if you haven't already picked it up.
  70. Jan 2, 2013
    best game ever!!!!!!!!!!! i love to see America total destroyed of soviet union!!!! hahahaha. the best game series ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  71. Feb 24, 2013
    Absolute best game by far that I have EVER played. It's buggy, but there's a few homebrew fixes to them, and with a few mods it's an HD trip of classic awesomeness...
  72. Dec 12, 2013
    Loved this game when it first came out. The arsenal of weapons to choose from was immense, the gore, gameplay, exploration, scare factor, and graphics were all superb. Story could have been better but the good points about the game more than make up for any shortfalls in that area.
  73. Mar 28, 2013
    This game gives you a feeling, you will never forget.It would be scary if there would not be Galaxy News Radio or the little boy from your Pip-Boy.Lots of weapon, cool story, big map, lots of side quests, lots of options of how to resolve quests. Karma points were also very fun. If you did a quest in the right way ex: you dezactivated an atomic bomb, you get positive karma points, Three Dog (the guy talking on the radio) will say good things about you, but if you do it in the bad way ex: you blow up the atomic bomb and kill lots of people for some money, you get negative karma and Three Dog will say bad things about you. Expand
  74. Mar 29, 2013
    Perfect. For me as the unexperienced "Bethesda's style" player. When you play it don't think about anything... Just explore. All. It makes you feel as a part of post-nuclear life. And don't read someone's opinion before! Or tips, or something like that. Main opinion is yours. Making your own through-style is most unforgettable thing.
  75. Apr 19, 2013
    This is Fallout 3! What has to be one of my favrite games of this modern generation in video gaming! Everything about this game is great! The storyline, side questions alike! ALL OF IT! GAMEPLAY I LOVE IT ALL. The game throws many refrenses to the classic loved fallout games before it, and does it with shine! But above all what this game excels at that many modern games of today fail at is one simple thing. ATMOSPHERE! This game will forever be one of my favrite games that ive ever expereinced, and will experience Expand
  76. Aug 5, 2013
    Fallout 3 is and always will be one of the best RPG's of all time, it's amazing combat, cool graphics and great story all make up for an epic experience that almost no other games can topple.
  77. Aug 7, 2013
    This is downright my favorite game of all time. Granted it didnt make me feel as much as some other games did, but the storyline, quests, choices, dlc, and overall gameplay made up for it greatly. Every quest i could feel myself really get into it. I can allways remember thinking to myself what would be behind the next corner, and when i think that the building i was exploring was depleted of "goodies" id realised i missed an entire level. The map itself could win awards. Its vastness could make you lose yourself in it for hours on end. Ive beaten this game several times allready, and have accomplished every achievment for it including the dlc's, and have put well over 500 hours of gameplay into this masterpiece. For the people who say that its horrible because of its never ending glitches; i pity you. I can recolect on countless nights stayng up to 3 or 4 in the morining laughing histarically at the mysterious glitches this game has to offer. The fighting system is also top notch. This is the only game series I know that allows you to stop time and pick your target for your shot. Dont even get me started on the weapons, i would spend countless nights trying to find special weapons and ammunition. The leveling system is also just superb. Itd take me 10 minutes to just figure out which perk id want. "Do i want this one to get more xp, or this one to make myself a better fighter". Its just magnificent. And the companions uhhhhhhhhh the companions. I remember dogmeat specifically. He was the best friend a person could have wondering through the wastes. He fought enemies for you, found you ammo, and health, and he was damn near invincible. When i lost him for the first time it brought me to tears (thank god for his puppies!!!!). There is no other game i love more than this one, and i can not wait for four!!!! Expand
  78. Aug 28, 2013
    I played the original two Fallout games back in the day on PC, and I will always love Fallout 3. One of the greatest games I’ve ever played, hands-down.

I’d say, however, that you need to understand what type of a game you’re getting into. It’s a technical RPG, very open world, and will require lots & lots of exploring. This is not a simple first-person-shooter. Anyone expecting a FPS
    will end up quite frustrated, as will anyone who jumps into the game without planning how to level their character.

Taking all that in mind, Fallout 3 was an immersive experience of gaming bliss I do not expect to be equaled any time soon. Possibly not ever. There was something about walking out of the vault into the unknown wasteland with nothing but a pistol, baseball bat & a few rounds of ammo in my pocket that was great fun. I also loved how, in the middle of traveling to one destination, I could easily find myself sidetracked for days at a time with random waypoint markers that led to other events & new quests.

The design of the game is beautiful, as well. One of my favorite areas is looking across at the aircraft carrier at night, because you can see holes in the walls where light is shining through from the people living there, as well as gazing at other details like the wrecked part of the front ship or the giant trenches dug all around the Mall near the Washington Monument.

Some of the environments do get a bit repetitive, but as long as you are leveling you have a reason to explore. And whatever area you’re in, whether a cave or abandoned warehouse, usually has some sort of story to go along with it that can be found by hacking into computers & reading some information. It’s not necessary but adds some depth & life to world you’re playing in.
    As I said, it makes for a very immersive experience.

The difficulty also scales satisfactorily. In the beginning, you’ll be happy to get a junky machine pistol and survive a handful of raiders. Near the end (with proper builds), you’ll be able to decimate an entire band of raiders with VATS sniper rifle headshots, watching them explode in slo-mo as you do so.

The only real disappointment I had was once I reached maxed level, but that was only because Fallout 3 makes leveling feel like quite an event, even playing a special musical theme to mark the occasion. However, it will take you a good while to hit max level and you’ll have done a great deal of exploration by then.
  79. Sep 4, 2013
    I love this game. I think it's the best game of the century. I know that there are some glitches and bugs, but it is not so important, because this game is really awesome
  80. Nov 8, 2013
    This game is one of the Top 5 RPG of all-time. With the great Mods available for it and just the massiveness and content in this game, it will provide literally 100's of hours of enjoyment.
  81. Nov 19, 2013
    #1 Game in Post-Apocalyptic Simulation. Fallout captures everything you want from a nuked-out D.C. Bethesda has put out yet another great game and this will surely stand the test of time.
  82. Dec 3, 2013
    This game is personally the greatest game I have ever played. With that being said, it is a game type and genre that goes well together for some gamers, and is seen as uninteresting and boring for others. Based on a nuclear war with China and America, survivors of the bombs funneled into these underground "Vaults" which were crazy social experiments to test human psychological and emotional well being. You play as a member of Vault 101, located in the Wasteland of form Washington D.C. and you are thrown right into the middle of something much larger than yourself. This game takes on a satirical and humorous view of the apocalypse, providing a fun perk system that makes everything more gory, or allowing roaming animals to come to your aid in a fight. On top of that, it has amazing game physics and graphics (note: that was like 5 years ago, its not like skyrim, but it is totally playable.). The overall sum of this review is this: Worth the $4-$20 you will spend to buy this. I actually believe that this is a crime against Bethesda to sell such a well developed and thought out game. Its immersive and has endless replayablity, I have logged over 700 hours and thats before you mod, which there are so many good mods for the game that add a Zombie virus or add extra companions. A MUST HAVE GAME FOR ANYONE WHO LOVES RPGS OR ANY VIDEO GAMES IN GENERAL. If you don't like this game, I apologize and think you should just go back to Call of Duty, because i'm sure you think that's the best game ever. Expand
  83. Dec 27, 2013
    I will admit some bias as this was my first open-world go and do what you want game, but the moments that make you feel as though you are watching a movie instead of playing a game make this game worth it. The graphics make sense for its time, the characters you encounter are believable and you can relate with each of them, the combat is just difficult enough to make you work (while not hindering you) and you want to go back to explore more even after beating the game. Expand
  84. Dec 27, 2013
    This is one of my all-time favourite games. The story is captivating and there is SO much to do in the Capital Wasteland. There are many side-quests and freeform quests, and dozens of items to collect.
    The PC version, in my opinion, as far better than the console ports, mostly because of the controls. I find this game MUCH easier to play with a mouse rather than a controller.
    Also, the
    DLC is amazing. Each one adds at least two or three hours of gameplay, or even more.

In short, if you like RPG games and/or action games, GET THIS GAME NOW.
  85. Mar 20, 2014
    Open world gameplay at it's finest. I had loads of fun just exploring the vast Capitol Wasteland rich with countless interesting set locations as well as random events/encounters. For the vast "emptiness" of the wasteland, I never felt bored once. You can even essentially choose to not play the story at all and still have loads of fun. Definitely worth buying.
  86. Oct 11, 2010
    This game is pure epic. It had nothing that I didn't like. Great story, great ACTING, great horror themes, great gunplay and combat. It was beautiful. The weapons were intriguing, the hardware support made me think that Bethesda still love us and the DLC's were brilliant. At least 60hrs of gameplay for the completer, and I went back to it loads more times just for the sake of it. Then I met something I didn't like. It had Games for Windows Live integration for achievements and such, so I tried it out and I hated it. I had to use a "storage device" when I wasn't logged in. Garrrg! Stupid Microsoft. Anyway, great game Bethesda! Expand
  87. gas
    Dec 1, 2011
    Im writing this a bit late tbh, as ive played this game more or less 1 year ago, but now i decided im going to have a second playthrough heavily modded so im going to add a little review here too.
    This game is not perfect, the engine is a bit disappointing compared to most of the "real" fps around, at least if not modded, as many objects have transparent parts only "painted" with alpha
    channels, this means if you try to shoot behind a fence you will discover the object is full solid and a bullet will never pass it, same can happen when hiding behind a rock, you fire aiming a mob and you will end hitting the rock instead... also without a mod the sniper rifle is useless for some reason it has less range then a normal rifle.
    Anyway, beside those 2 aspects and not many more the game is really really good.
    I liked a lot fallout 1 and 2 and i was a bit scared to find a title completely different going from isometric turn based strategy to a 3d fps game, anyway luckily the choices made by devs are quite good, basically there is a lot to explore, a very appealing (but short) main quest, a large number of more or less appealing side quests, some moments of fallout style humor, and a game that overall is really well made.
    What i like more is the fact this game reach to preserve the original fallout concept and feels really a step forward.
    The full DLCS are usually included in the package nowadays, all of them are quite crap compared to the game itself, anyway actually they can be considered something non mandatory you got with the game, so im not going to rate them here.
    At the end i finished the first play after around 180 hours, and i didn't even explore all the map nor i fully played the dlcs except anchorage, so it can be a huge experience, and a good one.
  88. Oct 24, 2010
    A good FPS with some RPG elements. Pro: - Immersive, huge environments: you can play Fallout 3 for months before finishing it.
    - Good graphics: I really enjoyed the "comics-style" graphics.
    - Simple but not easy: yes, you have to use few commands but you have a lot of stuff to do.
    - For the beginner and for the pro: I enjoyed the simplicity of my first games then I switched to the "pro"
    gaming LOL just joking but yes, the game was really hard and time-consuming.
    Cons:
    - Frustrating: and you can bet it, expecially the first games, when you learn that aiming can be used not only to eliminate your enemies but also to disarm them. - Time consuming: yes, Fallout 3 is simply a great game but you have to play it for hours - weeks - to finish it. And you have some fun DLC too so ... some more time.
    - Cartoon: it's a pro or a con, it depends.
    - Nukes: the game is about a post-nuclear war and you can use some "radio" equipment against your enemies. I know it's only fiction but someone said me he found it not good.
  89. Aug 25, 2011
    This game is a buggy mess, with code that resembles a bowl of spaghetti, and a poor engine. Yet I still give it a 9/10. Everything else about this game is great.
  90. Dec 1, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant. A 40-50's representation of a classic run down nuclear wasteland. The gameplay of combat is not as beneficial to the game. It never was for the fallout series. Its all about making decisions. the storyline is epic. Just pure epic. purify the water (or poisin it) for a nuclear wasteland while getting by a healthy amount of super mutant, irradiated freaks. with amazing views the entire way. Its like visiting washington DC! but.... in ruins. Anyway, Compared to the other fallout games. Its not really a fallout game. But this is made by Bethesda. what did you expect? A vast, continual RPG that is very, very, fun. (Thats if you dont mind easy head shooting) It is not as funny as the other fallout games. That is what new vegas is for. And it does occasionally have that feeling of a bare RPG. Whereas Fallout new vegas has the strip as a wierd contrast to the wasteland. A long, fun RPG. Expand
  91. Dec 26, 2010
    This would be the single most immersive game I've played, as its mostly about exploring every nook and cranny in a post-apocalyptic world. New Vegas expanded on the rpg system a bit, but I guarantee you're going to miss the VATS from this game. The main quest isn't that long, but it's a bethesda/fallout game, why are you playing if you aren't going to get immersed into the world as a whole instead of what you're main job is. As always, one of the coolest things about a fallout game is its humor, and you should be able to get plenty of laughs wandering around the capital wasteland. Expand
  92. Jul 11, 2011
    I'm behind the times I guess, because I just bought this game only a week ago. Well, I have already spent plenty of hours playing this game. The game world is awesome, the detail is stunning, and there are tons of things to do and explore besides the main storyline. The main storyline is not all that interesting, but it's enough to want to continue on with it once you get side tracked by a number of quests (which there are plenty of, even unmarked ones!). The only things I didn't like about the game are some of the bugs (occasional crashes and shoddy quad core support), and the fact that running feels like walking and the game doesn't come native with iron sites aiming. Thankfully the game can be modded, and a number of console commands can be used to tweak the game to your liking. Getting the iron sites mod with a few other complimentary mods to remove the auto-aiming and bumping up my run speed made this game almost perfect. As for the dialog and the NPCs they are quite cheesy in appearance and sometimes sound just down right annoying. The graphics are great for it's time, but the characters look unrealistic. But given the age of this game and the enormous amount of effort that went into making it engaging and entertaining, it's to be expected. You might get bored with it after awhile, but not before you get your money's worth...and if you do, it might be high time you go on over to Nexus and see what mods you can load up to add to the fun. One more thing: this is a single player adventure type game that can be ran in First-person or third-person (nice touch), so if you are aren't someone who enjoys SP adventure games this is not for you. Expand
  93. Mar 10, 2012
    Very good game. I haven't played the old Fallout games so I don't know how consistent this game is with them but I can say that I really enjoyed the setting of a postapocalyptic washington d.c. The game plays kind of like the Elder Scrolls games and I say that in a good way. VAT system is really cool with the slow motion kills and all. The main quest is a little bit dull at first but it gets better later. There is a big and interesting world to explore as always with Bethesda. The leveling system is not perfect but it is quite alright even though I would have liked a higher level cap given that the world is so big that you reach max level with less than half the content in the game. The UI is only so so as usual and could really use a makeover for all Bethesda games on PC.
    Overall a nice experience that shows a lot of game universes could work very well with Elder Scrolls type of mechanics. Now they only need to make a new Vampire: Bloodlines game with their engine!
  94. Mar 30, 2011
    I think i need to defend my score for this game, this was my first Bethesda game to play since oblivion, so the retro style, the gameplay elements, the RPG backbone and the well crafted story caught me by surprise. Still, i have to recognize it gets repetitive and buggy at times, and that it was probably the game responsible for the actual stupidity of many game developers, with its interest in making money by DLC and beating franchises with sticks to see how much money they can get away with before having to start making decent (and complete) games again. Expand
  95. Apr 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought the Steam Game-of-the-Year edition of Fallout 3, and though far from perfect, it's a very good game and far better than the disappointment of Oblivion.

Since gaming for me is all about story and immersiveness, I suppose I'll start with that. The story was good. It wasn't complete crap like Oblivion's was, and I was well-entertained by it throughout the game, if not completely enthralled or astounded. You're born in one of the underground vaults designed to protect several thousand American citizens from the apocalypse, and when you're nineteen, the overseer of your vault goes berserk after your father leaves. He and his goonies try to kill you and you're forced to leave and search for your father. This whole early portion takes about an hour and mainly involves character building (which I still have similar issues with from Oblivion, but that's for later).

After leaving the vault, the remainder of the campaign takes you all across the Capital Wasteland, and this world, unlike Oblivion's, was truly unique and enjoyable. To be honest, I'm giving this game a nine mainly because of the world design. Exploration was incredibly fun, as you get to see first-hand the results of the nuclear apocalypse on Washington D.C. And unlike in Oblivion, there was actually a point to exploring before max level, in which you were so bored because of the I-finished-all-the-faction-quests-and-there's-nothing-to-do-but-dungeon-dive syndrome. In Fallout 3, you actually have to survive, and that's what made this game fun for me. You scrounge around the remnants and frames of buildings, sewer stations, utility plants, looking for anything and everything that could help you survive, whether it be rare weapons, ammunition, or just caps for money. At heart, I think Fallout 3 is a survival game, and it accomplished this exceedingly well.

Oh and did I mention? Enemies no longer level with you, meaning that if you try and do everything at level 1, prepare to get your ass handed to you. (Though if you somehow managed to acquire the money/food/supplies to take on some of the higher-level areas, I suppose you could succeed.) To be honest, I would recommend sticking around the first town you come across until about level 3, just to make sure you can survive long enough to do any actual exploring.

But exploring does more than just let you live off the remains of the land and tick off markers on your map. Though there are no factions like in TES games, Fallout 3 has its share of some pretty remarkable side quests, and most of these are found through exploration. Finding a secret cult of "vampires," stumbling across what appear to be the last vestiges of flora in D.C., or going on some inane hunt for soft drinks are each the basis for some very enjoyable quests and characters, even if (once again) the facial animations are pretty far from believable.

And to be honest, that's pretty much my only complaint. When it came to FO3, I found few bugs, or anything else that really detracted from the game. The karma system was kind of cool, but it was pretty basic, I guess, and there were only two cities, but these aren't really big issues. The only problem I really had is a flaw with Bethesda's Gamebryo engine, and the fact that it cannot animate people's faces with any sort of believability. Also, you will always be playing the same character, since the CharGen, though very flexible, somehow makes all your characters end up looking pretty much the same, unless you switch genders.

Gameplay was another success, in my opinion. I have seen complaints that targeting body parts with your fire saw little impact, but I disagree. Headshots killed faster, crippling arms immediately disarmed the monster you were shooting at, and hitting the legs effectively crippled them from running. It wasn't groundbreaking gameplay mechanics but they worked solidly. VATS, however, was a different story. To be honest, there still isn't anything quite like blowing sombody's head off in slow motion, and your action points, on which VATS is dependent, regenerate fast enough that it's not gamebreakingly easy to spam, but still allows you to use it quite frequently. The best part is, it allows you to quite seamlessly switch from real-time combat to a moderate form of turn-based combat-by-the-numbers. Overall, I personally thought it was a resounding success.

So Fallout 3 definitely bested Oblivion. I immensely enjoyed it, easily logging 100 hours or more. It wasn't flawless, but it's the best we've gotten out of Bethesda since Morrowind, and it was highly enjoyable. So I will settle for a 9/10. But I'm still waiting on Skyrim...
  96. Jul 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So great atmosphere of wasting things and stuff. Graphic ain't so good, but worth it! The classic fallout gameplay, open world, nice soundtracks what else do you need? Expand
  97. Sep 5, 2011
    Utterly outstanding open world RPG Shooter that everyone should be forced to play by law, ok the graphics are rubbish by PC standards, but they work well so I can forgive them for that, the story has so many side quests that it can take 100+ hours of hunting to do them all. BIOWARE needs to take a look as their newer titles (ME2 and DA2) have fallen behind Bethesda's offerings.
  98. Apr 26, 2011
    A extremely fun and enjoyable game. Whilst some hardcore Fallout 1 and 2 fans will be disapointed with the writing and plot it still holds up as an excellent game worthy of the praise given to it.
  99. May 10, 2011
    Look, this game is great. I mean, it's like Mass Effect because of the dialogue and RPG because of the upgrading system. I'm a shooter and a RPG fan, so I was really excited for this game. And it delivered in every way imaginable. However, it does use the crappy Games For Windows Live, and I use Steam, so I wasn't able to get achievements in the game. It also sometimes crashes, but who cares? It auto-saves everytime you enter a different room. Also, the loading times are so short it's amazing. You get the whole wasteland in just five seconds. The graphics are really good too. There are a lot of quests you can do to, and the karma is interesting. Most of the people who say this game isn't good are just haters because they didn't listen to what the NPCs said. People, if you don't listen to what people say you will not get the story. Just saying. It's really realistic too. Like, if you take too much of a drug you will get addicted to it, and then there will be side effects, like minus one agility or strength. I'm giving this a nine because of GFWL. It just kinda ruins it. Steam forever! Expand
  100. Mar 4, 2012
    I have to say this was very similar to Oblivion in many ways, even though the setting is entirely different. The post-apocalyptic setting seems tedious at first, but I think Bethesda have done a great job making the world very big and locations very picturesque. There is a lot of detail added, in particular with the amount of different weapons and items you come across. The VAT system is simply amazing. It gives a lot of satisfaction killing an enemy in a cinematic style, especially getting to choose which part of the body you'd like to shoot at. The RPG elements are really great too. There is a lot of customization to your character's playstyle. Although all in all the game is great, there were some things about it that annoyed me. The greatest one of those was perhaps a considerable lack of enemies on the roads and sidequests. Most of the time when I was traversing the wasteland, it was uneventful and if not for the beautiful locations, I would've gotten bored. Seeing a giant scorpion moving towards you in order to have you for dinner, or a gang of raiders was a joyful sight. And also I felt the main story wasn't anything special. Maybe only towards the end it got a bit interesting, but that's about it. Other than those two points the game is great. I'd give it 8.5. I am yet to try the DLCs, though still can't find a way to access them (I think it should've been clearer). Expand

1. Minor niggles aside, Fallout 3 is almost entirely spectacular. Everything from the graphics, to the sound, to the plot is first-rate. The VATS system worlds like a charm, and it’s so easy to get the hang of, you’ll be cracking skulls like there’s no tomorrow. [Dec 2008, p.55]
  2. A vast and open world of unimaginable possibilities opens in front of you in Fallout 3. Great story, flawless combat system, and the option to choose your own way makes it a hot candidate for game of the year. [Nov 2008]
  3. Fallout 3 is one of this year's best games. It's an unforgettable journey that lives up to the series. You are an ex-vault 101 inhabitant, and you discover a whole new world, full of zombies, mutants, raiders, aliens and all kinds of creatures. Welcome to this post-apocaliptic reality, where you are going to spend hundreds of hours.