6.5

1. Feb 27, 2011
    I was a huge fan of the Fallout New Vegas game but this DLC pack is truly a work or garbage. The constant trial and error of trying to perform the same task over and over again until you get it done in the specific order the game wants is extremely frustrating. I am not sure that this DLC pack is worth the money as there is about 5 hours of content here at best. This DLC pack is a definite thumbs down. Expand
  2. May 21, 2012
    Good Plot and such really means little when you have terrible gameplay.

This whole DLC was centered around dying and reloading to learn where things are. The DLC was glitched and I ended up being unable to complete the whole thing because of a single glitch in the middle that didn't allow me to see the ending. I decided this DLC wasn't good enough to play again for the ending and was glad
    that I saved before playing through this. Expand
  3. Jul 25, 2011
    There ought to be a special level in hell for game designers who kill you with things you can't kill back. In dead money you will die mostly by radio signals, a red vapor, and holograms. NONE of which you can kill back. The whole game feels like they purposely chose the most frustrating bits of Fallout and built a game around them. Like when you're trying to navigate on its useless "local" maps through areas which are confusingly split up into multiple loading areas. In Dead Money THAT'S ALL YOU DO. It's just one big rat maze you have to negotiate over and over. When you finally do get out of the rat maze (following what's got to be the most lengthy backtracking segment in gaming history), dying by red gas and radio signals is replaced by dying by unkillable holograms...and more radio signals. The game is frustrating right up until the very last segment which is so frustrating I finally gave up and watched the ending on youtube. I don't know who at Bethesda came up with this, but they need to never design a game again. Expand
  4. Oct 2, 2011
    I was hugley dissapoitned, the story was realy good, and i mean, pretty damn good, but the game falls with lack of npc's to fight, everything just feels so dead. I thought its major dissapointment was the pointless running around in an enviroment that feels so similar everywhere you go, i didnt feel any emotion for the game despite the characters, all in all i was realy dissapointed in this, the dlc add ons felt realy pointless such as the weapons and the armor is basicaly a joke but realy i am more confused in the point of how this game effects the mojave. Expand
  5. Sep 11, 2011
    I'm so disapointed.
    I've expected something else - not a game like a Hitman or Thief series. There's few frustration things: - you got only one way to finish all quests (sometimes two ways - but only differents are in dialog mode - not in your actions). So whatever you do, you have to do it in the way that designers of the dlc want you. You don have any invention. - speakers, signals,
    cloud, holograms - it all makes you repeat and repeat all the time the same moves. EG. you need to go from point A to B. In normal game you go, watching around, sometime seesing. Not in Dead Money. When you make few steps further than the game wants you to make you heard beepieng, and in a few second explosion. So you do it one more time - more carrefully - watching for speakers. And you find it (or not). If not, you do it again. And again. And again. Untill you find out what makes beep, and what trigger explosion. And it looks quite like a Hitman. But its not a Hitman - its Fallout.

If it was a Hitman DLC - I would score it for 8+. But its Fallout. SOn only 4
  6. Jan 29, 2012

Erm... I guess at the heart of a game, it should be fun, right?

Yeah, I guess. Well that's where Dead Money falls down. The fun. The characters are what holds this DLC up (Dean Domino in particular) but the lack of weapons, lack of NPCs, lack of different varied areas make playing through this a chore. You only carry on so you can get back to the Mojave. The story itself is sound. You go and investigate a mysterious broadcast, get knocked out by gas and wake up having to ally yourself with a mute, a laconic anti hero, and a super mutant with a split personality. The catch is that you're all fitted with bomb collars; one of you dies, you all die. Together, under the thumb of the omnipresent Father Elijah, you're tasked with robbing the Sierra Madre Casino, before he will let you go. It's possibly the best story of all New Vegas' DLC. But the gameplay is rubbish. You're constantly hopping to avoid toxic clouds, radios which set off your collar, and the admittedly creepy and well-done residents who don't want to stay dead. Avoiding the clouds and radios is fine a few times, but making it a key part of the game? No thanks. An oh boy, the locale. Dark and dreary may make it atmospheric to an extent, but the boredom of the same textures over and over outweigh this.

This DLC very nearly falls completely flat on its face. Only the characters are the saving grace.

7. May 20, 2012
    Dead Money is probably the most frustrating game or DLC that I've ever played. The fact that it's a DLC may make it more frustrating since you can't get back to the main part of FNV until you're done with Dead Money.

What makes this so frustrating? Where to start? First things first: Dead Money plays differently than the rest of FNV. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it must be
    noted. Now, when you enter the Sierra Madre Villa (the area outside the Sierra Madre casino) you are stripped of all your weapons and equipment (excluding quest items--keep that in mind). This is almost always a bad idea, but Dead Money handles it as well as possible, giving you the new rules of the game right upfront. The rules: you have a slave collar around your neck and it will explode it you get too close to any speaker. They'll beep first, so there's some warning. Also, the are clouds of poisonous gas all around and they'll kill you dead. There are also "ghost people": people in dark biohazardesque suits that WON'T STAY DEAD!! (Well, unless you blow off a limb). Sounds cool right? WHY SO FRUSTRATING? 1) the villa is all very similar in architecture and so difficult to find your way around in. 2) There are traps everywhere. Everywhere! 3) The gas clouds: deadly, impossible to see through and just a general hinderance. Add in the fact that beartraps are often located in the impossible to see through, but killing-you-as-you-disarm-the-trap gas, and controllers will fly. 4) Most important. Speakers. Are. Terrible. They are everywhere and clustered together. So you'll walk out of range of one speaker only to be a step from being in the range of another. Or they overlap completely. And they are often impossible to see. Add all these together and you'll want to get this over with as quickly as possible.

Some other gripes: Ghost people are a unique enemy. Well until you almost immediately get a perk that keeps them from coming back from the dead.
    You're required to get three companions so you can break in to casino but that's just filler. They don't really do anything to help you break in. At least not anything on screen. So you're hopes of pulling an Ocean's Eleven FNV-style are left unfulfilled. Instead you're just fetching companions.

The pros:
    There is seriously good loot. The holorifle is awesome. So is the gun you can take from the main baddie. Or if you're willing to leave that gun, you can steal up to 389,943 caps worth of stuff. Also the casino deals in pre-war money so if you max out your winnings you'll have another 100,000 caps worth of loot.

If you don't care about that, then there isn't a lot to recommend here. Most reviewers seem to have liked the characters and story, and while they were good, they weren't speculator.

All told, then, only loot nuts and completionists should bother with this and only then if they are willing to deal with the frustration of it all.
  8. Mar 13, 2014
    Weak contrived story, weak characters who are given no chance to develop, and very irksome in parts. After I got half way through I just wanted to get the hell out of there. If you like quicksaving every 2 minutes and essentially travelling through a maze painfully slowly, where a wrong turn means an unavoidable death, then this is the game for you. Poor design and a poor DLC.
  9. Jul 28, 2013
    Dead Money is the worst piece of DLC I've ever played for any game in regards to stability. There should not be three different gamebreaking bugs in consecutive order for any large piece of content. It's a shame, as the actual content isn't that bad...it just keeps breaking the game, leaving me either unable to continue without reloading to avoid a bug or without decimating the .exe file and crashing it. The buildup is also incredibly drawn out, far too long for my taste. Overall this is one of the worst DLC packs I've ever had the displeasure of playing, but it does have its moments. Expand
  10. Sep 14, 2014
    Worst DLC of my LIFE.

First, the DLC is very linear and very frustrating. When i buy a fallout DLC, i expect a "open world experience" not a linear with only one way to do the things and without variety of enemies and scenarios. You can't use the most of favorite fallout weapons such as AMR and minigun. You can't make any decision. You can't turn back if you don't like the DLC.

When
    i FINALLY make the last quest "Heist of the Centuries", a stupid bug don' let me back to wasteland. The elevator simple wont't take me to Villa's Fountain and take me to Vera's suite turning IMPOSSIBLE complete this terrible DLC. Compared with another DLC such as Guns Arsenal who put in game, a lot of things like Explosive .50 ammo, new weapons and accessories, Dead money is waste of time and waste of money. Expand
  11. Jul 19, 2014
    For this DLC 0/10 is even too much. My rate for this game is somewhere below 0. I feel to have wasted my time on this, and seriously. Let's begin saying, the whole DLC is based on the idea die-reload-retry. Untill you don't understand the right combination of action, you'll be stuck in that loop. And that is not only the WORSE way of making progress, but is also the most frustrating one.

At the base level you have an explosive collar that will explode you head if you take the wrong path.
    Added to that, there are the enemies, that deal serious amount of damage, but even worse they can't die.
    Yes, because if you don't destroy, at least one, of their limb, they'll just go knok-out for a while.
    Even further there are the holographic enemies, that are unbelievably overpowered and can't be killed.
    Added with the chronic lack of ammo, all this stuff make the most powerful concentrated of frustratingness.

Even if at the end you find 300'000k of caps, all the pain in it make them worthless.
  12. Jul 7, 2014
    Did not enjoy this DLC at all. Quests are tedious and boring. The level design was not creative in the slightest (consisting of maze-like roads, and enemies/hazards that could kill you and you couldn't fight back) The only reason that this got one point is that the dialogue was well written in some cases.

1. Jun 26, 2011
    For ten dollars, I had enough content to enjoy myself and certainly liked it more than some of the other Fallout related DLC I have completed in the past.
  2. Mar 31, 2011
    Really, though, it's the characters, not to mention their well done dialog, and story resolution that make the DLC something any fan of the main game should experience.
  3. Mar 21, 2011
    Chris Avellone and his team at Obsidian are great storytellers. They managed to create a thrilling and captivating experience that will make you remember why you once loved Planescape: Torment. [Apr 2011, p.95]