5.7

1. Apr 16, 2011
    Nothing on the first one. The first was a sweet game- great graphics, fun story- a really enjoyable game.

This one? Very repetitive. Clear a camp, come back later and it's inhabited by the same people again...
  2. Feb 21, 2013
    Great graphics although a bit buggy especially with the directx 10 mode selected. The muted washed-out color tones sets a kind of depressing mood, probably what the developers wanted. But the graphics is the end of the good points.

The AI sucks big time. The enemy has x-ray vision making any kind of stealth play impossible. You spend time sneaking up on your target then kill him with a
    silenced weapon or your machete but be ready for instant mayhem. Everyone knows what you did and where you are. Run for your life. Shoot someone from a distance and the enemy knows exactly where you are. The enemy can see through dense foliage, walls and rocks. Run for your life. You can watch an enemy look and fire in the opposite direction from you but you will still get hit. It's quite hilarious!

Forget about a story line, there isn't one. You just go on missions and kill everyone you see, or run for your life.There are no other options. Try to kill the Jackal? No way. It's a bogus story ploy. Try to help your friends that you've collected through the game. No way. The developers have higher goals for you. Be careful they have a political agenda.

Very disappointing game. Not looking forward to another silly Far Cry X.
  3. Nov 4, 2012
    Bought it after seeing some positive videos on the tube. I regretted it. The graphics are absolutely stunning but the game per se is terrible. Far Cry 2 is basically a terrific map with a terrible game spawning sporadically.
  4. Mar 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game severely lacks interesting game-play. The protagonist must travel hundreds of miles chased by pea brained, buggy AI that will hunt you down no matter where you run to. How is this realistic? To make matters worse, you encounter hundreds of the same monotonous check-points that vary only in the number of tires and fences that are commonly found around one.. On top of that, you have an incurable malaria that serves as a really a poor plot device. Finding a cure for malaria should not drive the STORY! The story should be driven by fun game-play and interesting missions. The mission narrative doesn't really push the envelope either as it centers too much on petty clan warfare and local rivalry. The developers attempted to change the names of the clans and characters to break the monotony, but the characters continually bring about the same plot elements I describe above-petty rivalries, etc.. Even the equipment is a letdown. Vehicles blow up too easily and weapons constantly jam. The only thing that really kept me going a 1/3 of the way through the game was the possibility of acquiring better weapons. Unfortunately, the mechanics of wealth acquisition don't favor even a moderately fast ascension to power. Acquiring wealth is slow, painful, and disheartening. The primary currency for barter are diamonds that are scattered across the whole god-forsaken territory that you must trek across ever so painfully. If you ever manage to complete the miserable story-line, Ubisoft should award you with a small prize. Believe me, you deserve it for all of the torture you will assuredly have to endure. The only reason why I gave this abomination of a game a 1 is because it serves as a good benchmark for video-cards. My recommendation to those who wish to avert a deplorable gaming experience is to avoid playing Far Cry 2 altogether. In fact, the game itself, if you bought a physical copy, should be reserved for use as a coaster for soft drinks. Alternatively, the dvd-rom can be used in a futurist art project. Better yet, go use it to play frisbee with your dog in a park. If by the unluckiest of chances, you bought a digital copy, you will undoubtedly be dismayed at having wasted however many dollars you spent on this treasure that, by it's digital nature, precludes it's more appropriate uses described above. If this is the case for you, let me just a dedicate a moment of silence to you. Expand
  5. Oct 29, 2012
    I like first Far Cry. But this game- piece of **** Good Graphics- that` s all what this game can propose to you. Stupid mission, stupid respawn, boring safari and idiotic story.
  6. Sep 28, 2010
    Crap indeed.Dont waste your money in this.It doesnt worth to be played.It destroyes FAR CRY soul the one from the original far cry which is by the way much better.3
  7. Oct 11, 2010
    Stay FAR FAR FAR away from the PC version of this game, not even at a discount price on steam will you feel like you got your moneys worth. The controls are horrible and make the game unplayable and that's just the tip of this iceberg. Even if we look past the bugs of this horrible port, the game you see is merely "decent" but nothing like the original. This is a sequel in name only.
  8. Jun 14, 2012
    This game bored me to tears so badly that I had to quit. Virtually every aspect of this game is broken, overly done, or underdone. The realism they try to implement means that you can die from a 5 foot fall, your weapons never work, and because it's Africa everything has to be ugly and bland as sin. Far cry instincts beats this game so miserably it was a wasted release for ubisoft. Furthermore, my CD key is repetedly refused for the online, despite attempting all fixes possible. This game is therefore unfinished and worthless. Expand
  9. May 8, 2012
    Boring. Repetitive, Ridiculous respawns. Waste of time. The negative reviews sum it up. The game is a "far cry" from being even remotely related to the first game. Steam needs to start giving refunds for piles of waste.
  10. Dec 2, 2012
    First off, I'm not reviewing this as a sequel to Far Cry. It's made by different people with a different aim, so there really isn't much point comparing them. The game is a First person shooter set in an African environment, where you must work to bring down an arms dealer who is supplying arms to sides in local conflicts, causing death and misery, Boo! You play a mercenary who will bring down this criminal, by going to the conflict zone and shooting dead hundreds upon hundreds of people with arms he buys with blood diamonds. Yay you! Anyway, how does it look? Ok. Nothing really spectacular or worth mentioning, it is there, it functions but is tends to get rather bland with the colours sometimes, but I won't hold it against it. So graphics get a good mark from me, except for the fire which looks very 2D. Now, the gameplay itself. Let's start with the combat, as it is a shooter after all. All the weapons feel and look good for the most part. Some seem similar, but most manage to feel like different guns. Shame that there is a God awful degradation system in effect. Most weapons you get from enemies seem to have seen better centuries and will jam constantly or just outright explode. Never when the enemy has them, it only happens to you. You need to buy new weapons from arms dealers (these ones are nice weapon sellers apparently) to actually get one that works like it's supposed to. So the weapon degradation is annoying and poorly but stops short at being game ruining. What doesn't stop short however, is the AI. It is so rubbish. Enemies aren't good at taking cover, or more often than not just randomly walk in the open towards you. They can't shoot straight, can't think of approaching you from any angle apart from the direct one, and just in general are rubbish. This makes all the action scenes seem rather pointless and undermining. I'm supposed to be fearing for my life in fire fights, not just sitting near a rock shooting people as they trundle towards me or act like jack-in-the-boxes. When your shooter actually fails at the combat section, it isn't a good sign. To get around the map you have access to some trusty cars. Well, I say trusty, they tend to break down a lot, which is fixed by a few seconds of twiddling in the engine, which isn't making me feel like I'm fixing it or I have to take care of it, it's just a hassle that no one would notice if it wasn't there. The actual gameplay itself is really bad. Get mission from some person, drive there, kill people, come back and get paid in diamonds (Good thing you are here to help stop this guy who is causing all this conflict!) Getting to your location, normally miles away, involves driving through camps filled with constantly respawning enemies. Once you cleared everyone from the camp you can literally just walk about a hundred meters away and then everyone there has respawned. If it was a sandbox you could just go round them, but no, the natural corridors force you through them, again, and again, and again. Every time you want to go somewhere you have to have yet another pointless and repetitive (and boring) fight. There are no friendly forces who can take over the place even, Despite working for one of the sides in this war they tell you that "Our boys won't recognise you", which should be read as "We didn't want to program a reputation system in". This is one of the games worst offenders, the totally painful firefights it forces you into again and again against the mediocre AI. Another big weakness is the voice acting. I will say without doubt that it is the worst voice acting I have ever heard in a game. I'm including games like Deep Fear in that. This game is worse. At least in others they try. This game the voice actors sound like they have been dragged from some office, sedated, lobotomised and then told that if they show any emotion or, indeed, talent, they will be killed. I have yet to hear a line spoken as if it was a human doing it. Microsoft Sam is a better voice talent than these people. So in the end, we have a open world shooter that isn't open world and isn't a very good shooter. For a game with a good budget behind it which promised lots it has delivered us a repetitive and poorly done shooter that fails at being good at shooting Expand
  11. Aug 14, 2012
    This game is truly a far cry from the first one. Everything you loved about the first game is gone here. The only thing this has in common with the other is the glider. That's it. If you're looking to recapture the experience of Far Cry 1 be prepared for massive disappointment.
    Let's start with the good: the graphics. This is the only decent thing about this game. The environments looks
    nice all around but even this quickly loses its appeal after while since there's not much to look at. It's mostly sparse landscapes. It looks nice but also boring. The character model's faces are also lacking in detail. Now the bad: everything else. The audio in this game is poorly done. The weapons sound cheap and unconvincing. The vehicles have this little hum when driving. The characters' voices can be hard to hear sometimes and they usually talk pretty fast. There is no depth or range to the sound. I can't tell if someone is talking 5 feet away or 50 feet away. There are no options to individually adjust voice or sound effect volumes. Music can't be adjusted either. You can only turn it on or off. The AI in this game is atrocious. They will usually try to flank you but it's pointless since they all have eagle eye vision and auto-aim and can hit you from a mile away with no problem. Sometimes the AI will get stuck and they'll be facing another direction when you're right in front of them. The AI automatically senses when you get into a vehicle and starts firing at you so if you can't see where that enemy has run off to just get into a car and they'll start shooting at you. The gameplay is the worst part. It's just awful. EVERYONE will shoot you on sight. It doesn't matter which faction you do missions for. Their guys won't help you since you're "undercover". The enemies take an excessive amount of damage. You have to shoot them so many times to kill them. The turret in this game is crap. It's severely underpowered and actually takes longer to kill the enemies than your own weapons do unless they're right in your face. Seriously. If you try and stay at a distance to take out the guardposts with a turret it will take forever to kill them while they will have no problem shooting you. 75% of the game is you driving around from point A to point B and it's usually from one end of the map to the other. Then there are the guardposts with the respawning enemies. This is undoubtedly the most annoying part of the game. If you kill the enemies and then go a certain distance and then return to that guardpost the enemies all respawn even if you killed them 2 minutes ago. There's no point in wasting time using stealth or trying to be clever since they just respawn and you have to kill them again on your way back. They make it so it's impossible to go around most of these checkpoints. You can't just blow past them in a vehicle either because they will get in their vehicle and chase you and they will ALWAYS catch up to you because the game cheats. I've tested this and they get this turbo speed boost to catch you. You have no choice but to stop and shoot them. There's also constant vehicle patrols all over the place. They'll either shoot you if there's a guy on the turret or tail and ram you forever until you stop and kill them.

The gameplay is extremely repetitive. All you do is drive around the map performing missions by killing someone or blowing something up. That's it. Ubisoft did this exact same thing with Assassin's Creed. Go from point A to point B, kill someone, rinse and repeat. It's obvious they do not know how to make a fun game and I don't have much hope for Far Cry 3. Then they threw in various gameplay elements like weapons jamming, fixing cars, and you having malaria and needing to constantly take medicine, to try and make it realistic but all it does is annoy you. If you pick up an enemy's weapon it will be in a degraded state. Very quickly the weapon will jam and you have to press reload to fix it. But when the enemy uses their gun it never jams on them. Only you. How is that realistic? So the only point is to piss you off. If your car gets shot up it will start smoking and you will have to fix it. The animation consists of you turning a bolt with a wrench. Yes that's how it gets fixed. Just like in real life. The malaria thing is dumb and adds nothing to the game except to irritate you. Try having a malaria attack while your gun jams on you and your car is smoking while a bunch of auto-aiming enemies are around you. See how fun that is.

The game suffers from numerous glitches. I had an enemy floating in the air and then dropping and dying and alerting his friends.There are audio problems like no sound or subtitles when answering the phone. The game will crash periodically. The gameplay is repetitive and annoying. It's not even an average game. It's a below average mess. Save your money. It's a huge letdown.
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    Picked it up on the cheap during Steam's summer sale. Heard some good things about it, it was cheap, I like nonlinear open-world type games. And Far Cry 2 has the distinction of being the third time I have ever experience buyer's remorse. This... I don't know how to explain it... I guess the best I can come up with is it plays more like a demonstration of a physics/graphics engine than an actual game. Pretty graphics, some nice gameplay mechanics, but it has two major problems that pretty much ruin it for me.

The first is the story. Which is to say there practically isn't a story. I only played about 4 hours before I dropped it, so it might get better later, but at the point I got to it was just a series of talk to person, go to other side of world, clear camp, rinse and repeat. If you want any kind of story details, you have to pause it and look at your journal. I'm usually alright with that kind of thing, but it just feels really unfulfilling in relation to most other games I've played that have that have journal-type-things.

The second major issue I have is the gameplay. I can look past an absent story if the game is fun to play, I mean I've put over 100 hours in to Team Fortress 2 and I'm not even a big multiplayer type of guy. As I mentioned though, I've only played 4 hours so maybe it gets better, I don't know. But like I mentioned in the story section, every mission plays the same. Talk to guy, go to other side of world, clear camp. It's BEYOND repetitive. Really, the main reason I haven't played past 4 hours is because I got so sick of the gameplay.

Really, everything else in the game to me is minor, those two alone ruined it for me and I'm probably never going to pick up this game again. But, like I said, go it on the cheap so no major damage done.
  13. Oct 1, 2012
    This is Worst Game I have ever played...made me sick in real time ...Complete Nonsense...At least Game Makers should know,what he is trying user to grab...what we are doing in this game...what to do why to do and ultimately what's aim? ...Iam deleting this game in middle...even i dont know how many missions i have completed...wtf.
  14. Nov 19, 2012
    The original Far Cry is one of my favorite game of all time. Its name is filled with honor. Because you know at the time the game was made they used top-notch graphics, and the story and gameplay was just explosive. How ever, Far Cry 2 was the most disappointing game ever. If you die, you will spawn to far away for your destination. You have to take malaria pills every so often. People always knows who you are, even if you're just driving a car, enemies will spot you and shot at you. The game is just to flawed and it never ends. Crytek, why did you sell Far Cry? Worst mistake they ever made. Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2012
    You play a couple of missions types repeatedly through out the whole game. You have to travel massive distances to do it. It's boring. The graphics were the only selling point in the game. I loved FarCry. I couldn't finish the game I was so bored. I usually finish every game I buy. I was one of those fools that bought it full price. Harsh lesson learnt.
  16. Feb 1, 2013
    Not worth it! I purchased it on a special offer at just $9.99 so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I had already played Far Cry 3 and liked so thought I would give the previous version a chance but it is TERRIBLE. Hard to follow the mapmarkers, the fast travel is horrible and even though I am on EASY level, it's just very hard to achieve your missions. I can't believe the difference between Far Cry 2 and 3. The 3rd installment is very good. But don't waste your time on this one. I can see why user score is 5.6 Expand
  17. Jun 16, 2013
    This game typifies everything that can go wrong with an open-world, sandbox-style game. It's a big, beautiful world to explore and most of what you do in it means absolutely nothing.

Getting from mission to mission is about as fun as the Park 'n Ride experience of commuting to the airport. Except, however, that in the case of air travel you might just be going someplace fun. In FC2,
    you're going to the next repetitive mission the writers painfully crafted on spare napkins while waiting for their order to come up at In-n-out. This is lazy, mass-produced content that rivals the story-telling depth of PONG.

You may enjoy Far Cry 2 if you enjoy these other things:

1) Standing in line at Disneyland as opposed to the ride itself
    2) The subtleties of watching paint dry
    3) Chatting with DMV Employees
    4) Waiting for Uranium to decay
    5) The uniqueness of IKEA furniture
  18. Jul 30, 2013
    Just repetitive. A complete disappointment. Huge open world, with nothing in it worth exploring. Generic world, generic enemies (which respawn after what feels like 30 seconds). Graphis etc. may be good, but the game offers no introduction, no interesting characters, no storyline. Somehow even the core mechanics, the shooting, didn't appeal to me, and the rather not so smart AI does not improve the gaming experience. Expand
  19. May 4, 2013
    This is probably the most repetitive and flawed FPS I've every played. The story itself is pretty good and the environment is wonderful but everything else is horrible, horrible done. The design flaws are some of the worst I've ever had to contend with and has completely turned me off of this series.

The game advertises secondary quests and factions but they have absolutely no impact
    on the main game. The best way to play this game is to just do the main quest. While there are 2 factions everybody hates you all the time so working for a faction impacts only who gives you the mission. Each time you walk out the door they remind you they hate you. What is the use of having factions if everybody is your enemy. The game has many design flaws that probably sounded good on paper but were horrible in practice.

Let's start with the guard posts scattered throughout the maps. As you clean them out the map marks them as cleared and a counter lets you know how you're doing. Unfortunately if you go a little ways away and come back they are completely repopulated. Other than changing the icon on a map clearing out the posts serves no purpose whatsoever. I got to the point where I just ran through the post and only stopped if I had to.

The game requires that you micromanage your character. Guns jam, you have to take medicine periodically, cars break down and if you get low on health you have to use first aid or bleed to death. This all adds up to more focus on the character than combat. This game is most definitely a FPS because stealth just doesn't work here. As soon as you shoot anyone everyone knows where you're at and their accuracy is astonishing. I had 1 person shooting me with a pistol at long range, across a ravine, throw a wood wall and still kept hitting me.

Back to the health system. When your health gets really low you have to bandage or your die. No problem except the animation takes about 5 seconds and cannot be interrupted (except by enemy fire). And oh by the way the enemies can continue to attack. So if you're swarmed (which you often are by the end of the game) then you have no chance to recover so you reload. That's bad. Here's probably the most idiotic thing I've ever seen in a game it quick saves just before you start the long, uninterruptible animation. That means you get quick saves of the game just before you either get lucky and survive or you die. Whoever thought that was a good idea should never design a game again.

There are so many enemies running around in cars that you end up fighting more people getting to a mission (because the fast travel system isn't that fast) than in the mission itself. Even worse is that cars tend to not make any noise until they start shooting at you and if they are too close you cannot shoot back without getting out of the car.

Overall this game was not fun to play. I ran through most of the map just to get to a mission, stopping only when I had to. During the missions I went straight to the goal because nothing else had any impact anyway. Even the ending of the game where you had a choice to make had absolutely no impact on the ending. I cannot possible recommend this game to anyone other than a hard core FPS person who has nothing else to play. I remember when this game came out they advertised "realistic fire". Yes the fire looks awesome but if all I really wanted was to watch real fire I'd become a fireman. Clearly this game was sold based upon its name more than its design.
  20. May 23, 2013
    The only redeeming quality in this game is the graphics.

The enemy AI is terrible but, they just stand there shooting, all you have to do is snipe them all out easily because they don't take cover or move about much. Somehow they manage to hit you from long distances while you're on the move inside a vehicle, rubbish.

The vehicles all feel the same, even in GTA3 a very old game now
    they managed to make you feel like you were driving different vehicles. Then, there's a hang glider, lol, pointless, no fun, gimmick.

The missions are all very similar, drive 10 minutes to go kill someone, blow a truck or deliver some documents. I think the developers have done it on purpose, how come the mission is always on the other end of the map, it makes you spend 90% of the driving. If the driving part was fun it wouldn't be so bad, but it's not, it doesn't even feel like driving, it feels like walking really fast with shaky camera, I think it's because the vehicles have only two velocities, you're stopped or moving, they forgot the acceleration part of driving.

Not sure if I consider the random missions a story, it makes little sense.
  21. Jul 21, 2013
    Too much driving. Too much scavenging. Combat is very repetitive. Enemies spawn back way too quickly. And where is the story? Played 8 hours so far and I am sick and tired of it.
  22. Feb 2, 2014
    Most overrated FPS ever, makes COD franchise look good. FC1 was great, FC3 was good, FC2 simply falls flat on its face.
    It has Great graphics, the African landscape was great but devoid of any fauna(bye bye realism) The shooting mechanic is mediocre but the stupid AI completely ruined it all. As for the Open World, here is a piece of advice to developers. Open World games are fun only
    when it is fun to explore. The map is horrendous, the vehicles are crap and break down with 3 shots (fck authenticity) with arcade like physics(maybe to please casual gamers) and the first person driving is horrendous with your dashboard and your FAIL-ATTEMPT-TO-BE-UNIQUE map taking up 75% of your view. And those irritating checkpoints...made doing side quest a hell.
    Here is a scenerio. You travel to one edge of the map for a quest, to reach there you have to kill all the baddies in the checkpoints again, like 3-4 of them..around 10 mins travel time. Quest tells you to go to a place which takes 20 mins to reach, and again go through those checkposts killing all those respawned enemies. If you spend 20 hrs on this game, 15 hrs will be spent traveling and re-killing everything you killed few moments ago.
    And plz lets not go into the "malaria" system. ughhh..
    I uninstalled it after 5 hours of play, just to get my money's worth(in vain) cuz it was simply unplayable..
  23. Aug 17, 2010
    Everyone seems to be made of armor and stealthing is impossible at times. This would be fun if it had a working coop, but otherwise it's just too bland. So bland you can't even describe how bland and boring it is. This game falls under the "Could not finish because it was painful" list.
  24. Sep 29, 2010
    Far Cry 2 is an absolute disappointment to anyone and everyone. The entire game is tedious at best driving for 80% of the game only stopping to kill the odd generic henchmen with bad A.I, It has nothing to do with the original game at all. Ubisoft simply made this game to milk money from fans of the original game. This games not worth bothering with, save your money.
  25. Nov 28, 2010
    I tried hard to like this game. Very rarely do I not complete a game unless it is boring or repetitive. Unfortunately this game is both.

The game makes you travel between locations to achieve a mission update. So you will pass by checkpoints and strongholds numerous times in order to get to certain target zones. Here lies the problem...

The way enemies respawn is distance based,
    not time-based- thus it is totally unrealistic, annoying, and multiplies the difficulty of the game. For example: you will approach many checkpoints in the game during your travels. You will see the enemies goofing off, tying their shoelaces or smoking a cig which apparently gives you the initial element of surprise. You attack the checkpoint, killing the first guy and INSTANTLY after that, the remaining enemies make the experience as difficult as they can for you. You take some damage, but kill every last enemy in the place with your machine gun. You just torched the cp with Molotov's and blew the place up with grenades. Now, if you leave the area and turn the corner, then suddenly realize you are heading the wrong direction and need to turn back... guess what? The enemies have come back to life. Even more unrealistic, they will be goofing off again, tying their shoelaces and smoking a cig. There will be no sign of your previous battle anywhere. You will have to fight them all over again in order to continue. How realistic is that? Respawns will occur and there is no limit. So if you take the same path from your mission giver, to the target zone, and back- you will engage every CP and roaming patrol along your path at least twice. They will be the same exact enemies again and again, tedious and boring. I've tried the stealth approach as well, by crouching and slowly advancing through bushes and stuff. It is so boring and sometimes a sniper starts shooting at you from hundreds of yards away so you take damage anyway. Some areas cannot be passed by using stealth, so you are forced to attack or take tons of damage.

It seems everything I did was absolutely useless and has no effect in the world. I almost got though act 1 in this game. But after killing the same guys in the same checkpoints 2, 3 times for each mission it became very mundane. It would not have been difficult to implement at least a 24-hour respawn timer but the developer didn't. I still remember how confused I was after completing the first mission. I had just wiped out an entire camp enemies about 8 guys, fought them tooth and nail for about 3, 4 minutes. I went back to the mission giver and completed the mission. I get the next target zone for my next mission, and realize after looking at the map, that the area I had just cleared was one of two potential paths to take even though it was a slightly longer distance. Since I had killed everyone earlier, I thought it wouldn't be a problem to take that path since it was safe. I didn't even get 10 feet into the camp before I was shredded by a hail of gunfire. Game over. That was my first impression of the game and it still is.
  26. Dec 3, 2012
    A title that unfortunely had a bit of a wild tango dance during the development face, not knowing whether it wants to be dumbed down for the masses or stay true to difficulty and we end up with this horibly spread-out hybrid between an MMORPG with infinite enemy spawns and an single-player RPG shooter. It's not realistic, It's not immersive and It certainly does not posess a quality enemy AI. Stay away from this one unless you can try it before purchase. Expand
  27. Sep 1, 2011
    Its hard for a game to come by around me and get a 0 as I always look for the positive things in video games. Far Cry 2 is just... unacceptable. The first problem is the name. Do not be fooled, this is NOT Far Cry AT ALL. Far Cry 1 was Crytek's baby; a first person shooter centered around one guy who had his normal research out in the sea turn to **** when a group of mercenaries inhabiting a nearby island blow up his boat. The premise was simple; a man wearing a bright red Hawaiian shirt is trying to escape, but finds out the secrets about the mutated creatures. The game featured an open environment for players to take different approaches in order to progress through each level. And with it, level design that actually created atmosphere, developed certain characters, manipulated the environment around you, the works. Far Cry 2 has none of that. Replace Jack Carver with a mute that has a Malaria and is out to find a weapons dealer. Mutants? What mutants? Character? Lol what character? It's sad because when starting the game you do have a set of different people to choose from, each with their own unique bio. But all that really means is that while playing, the your character's arms will be different. Any character you don't choose becomes an AI friend you can assign to help you out during combat later on. However, which ever one you choose will be mute and have malaria, even when the AI versions have voice actors and are perfectly healthy. What is the POINT? I'm trying to play a game, not manage a god damn illness. This game is just a simplistic shooter that hides itself under layers of complex illusions. The only bit of story and atmospheric build up is right in the beginning when you learn about rising tensions between two African factions that could cause a war any moment thanks to your cab driver. Then you get into town, your malaria bugs you and then you are given an introduction to our baddie. Then a war erupts in the town. After that... well there are no more civilians and not one friendly face. Instead, every single person you see is a member of one of the 2 factions. Which leads me to my biggest complaint: The missions. You can accept missions from both factions, but surprise surprise, you have no allies depending on the faction you are doing a job for. And its not a case of them cutting you some slack later on and saying, "Our boys won't do harm to you." No. Its every **** time. It really feels like Ubisoft was too lazy to code any friendly AI apart from the one "friend" you can select. Biggest complaint #2: Getting to your objectives. Far Cry 2 has no level design, and instead we get free roaming. What does that really mean? Drive from one area of the map to another. Although every inch of Africa can be explored, your vehicle obviously can't travel over a mountain or through trees. So you're stuck on the roads. But here's the worst part: EVERY BODY DESPISES YOU. At any given point while driving, you see a vehicle on the road, don't assume its a civilian. The only people that are driving are members of the 2 factions, and the minute they see you they will floor the gas and open fire on you. Why? Who cares! It wastes the player's time and gives them the sense the game is longer than what it really is right! This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that EVERYONE IS FASTER THAN YOU. That's right, you can't outrun them. While you're locked to a cruising speed, enemies in a damn flat bed truck can drive faster than you. So its really 1-2 minutes of driving, 3-4 minutes trying to save yourself from being killed and searching for a new vehicle. Wash, rinse, repeat. And it traps you into thinking check points are safe where you can pull up and show ID to the people. But no, checkpoints = 6 men stationed there are ready to kick your ass. And while you may have cleared that checkpoint or area full of enemies, guess what? They respawn back there again. Its padding, and its obvious. The worst part... the level design, or should I say the lack there of. Every mission in the game is just driving to a certain location, killing a bunch of randomly placed NPCs and then driving on back (while still being shot at by cars and checkpoints). That's it, nothing more. Far Cry 2 does offer side objectives you can accomplish in order to unlock new weapons and stuff of that sort.... but let me give you a little run down of the gun merchant side quest. Every merchant will offer a new weapon if you can stop this convoy that's transporting guns. Ok, sounds cool, some actual mission design perhaps? But no. Instead, you get a line of 3 trucks that just drive around IN A GOD DAMN CIRCLE ENDLESSLY UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY STOP IT. This game is so basic, its disgusting. The graphics are the only decent thing about this game, and some cool aesthetics such as over 100 different animations for fixing yourself from bleeding out on the last segment of your health bar. Shallow, do not buy. Expand
  28. Jun 6, 2012
    1 Point for being original another for creatively controlling fire effects...but that's it. This game is mind numbingly boring. Second the "it's open ended" is complete garbage. If I take the left street to work, instead of the right, I'm still going to work. Furthermore the choices you make have ZERO impact on the extremely linear story. It doesn't matter if you save all of Africa, have a trash can full of blood diamonds to share, or improved your "friendship" with someone to 99999, NONE OF IT MATTERS. The story writers should be ashamed! Finally, the mechanics are extremely poor. The same truck will come the same way every time. For some reason the armies build the same shacks back you JUST blew up 10 seconds ago if you venture to far out. This becomes EXTREMELY annoying as it's simply a grind of killing meaningless people. I have no clue how this game received an 85 rating. I doubt very seriously that the game reviewers actually finished the game. I did. And both endings sucked. 4.99 for this game is a rip off. Save your money. Expand
  29. Jun 6, 2012
    This game is a shame for the name Far Cry! The first (and only) Far Cry was a brilliant masterpiece with excellent graphics, very long and really amazing campaign, great level design, everything just perfect!
    It was a revoltuion to the PC game market.
    That's pretty much everything that FarCry 2 does not have. It doesn't continue Jack Carvers story, the envirenment is in a **** desert,
    graphics are quite nice, but there is NO story at all. All you do is move from control point A to control point B and kill some dudes on the way, when you are done with the mission and drive the same way back home, the dudes you killed have respawned and you got to fight them again! I AM NOT F**KING KIDDING! This makes you mad. Don't waste a cent on this game! Expand
  30. Jul 17, 2012
    this game has good graphics visual, but sometimes that's not all that importa.é very repetitive, and go kill somebody and then people are there again, you lose a lot of time to walk hundreds of kilometers, and on arrival the target is to do the same thing as the other vezes.estou desapontado.desculpem errors, but I'm Portuguese
  31. Mar 18, 2013
    Seemed like it was going to be good. Graphics, sound all impressive. Story kind of cool. But the more you play, the more repetitive this game gets. The problem is that it takes SO long to get from point A to point B. Checkpoints you've cleared become populated quickly so you end up battling practically every inch of the way if you want to get anywhere. It's a fatal flaw because you end up not really wanting to travel anywhere because of the tedium involved.

The only game left more unfinished by my friends might be Dead Island, which is a zombie version of this game. Great graphics, great acting, great audio, good gameplay, but it just becomes totally tedious to play. I understand the 5.6 10 user score, but the 85 100 critic score just reminds me why, like movie reviewers, professional critics all suck and should be summarily ignored.

Not that it has anything to do with playability of the merits of this game, but I'd like to understand why this game was even called "Far Cry". It's about as close in plot and story to Far Cry 1 as Bioshock is to Quake 4. LOL...
  32. Dec 1, 2011
    I've tried several times to get into this game, but the experience never kept my interest long enough to finish it. The gunfights are fun, but the story and the continuous need to drive to distant locations made it a complete snoozer.
  33. Jul 25, 2011
    This game is very repetitive and boring. It is a demo of fire physics and gpu card testing. You will feel like a new man after uninstalling this one, its THAT bad.
  34. Sep 6, 2011
    What's terrible is that this game would actually be good: If they allowed it to be modded. There were a lot of stupid design decisions, but the engine is great, the production values are high and the world layout & map aren't too bad. Allowing things to be tuned like unrealistic spawns, strange object behavior, poor weapon and damage modeling and to extending the duration of bullet wound decals last would have made this a hit. Fallout games come riddled with issues, but after 3 months in the wild mods make them outshine everything else. Expand
  35. Jun 2, 2011
    I bought this game on steam for $5 on a sale, after reading the reviews and hearing about the game I thought wow this is a steal this game looks/seems great! I read the negative and positive reviews but shrugged off the negative because EVERY game has some bad reviews right? Well upon starting the game I was blown away! It was awesome, some specifics (spoiler) like fixing cars, jumping into the gunner seat of a car, and seeing a gun shop with unlock able weapons??? Sounds like a win to me! So I played the game, decided to do some weapon unlocks first as I wanted some bad ass stuff. So I did it, go to this point and destroy the convoy, check! went back and got my just reward. Went to another weapon dealer and took his quest to unlock different weapons.... go to this point and destroy the convoy... ok the guns are enticing enough to do it so I did. Did a main mish quest to try to liven up the game, go here and INSERT ONE(destroy, capture, free from captivity) this objective and get paid. So I did it and the first few were fun but then they ask you to do THE SAME THING, OVER AND OVER. Different places, different "objectives", you do the same thing. Ok so to sum up the rant: The main quests are very redundant, the gun quests (only way to unlock guns) are all EXACTLY THE SAME THING, not even a different story. Basically every single quest you take from any source anywhere in this game goes like this: take quest, drive 10 mins stopping every 2 or 3 mins to wipe out a "guard post" complete mish. Take next mish. That system right there is problem number 1. Number 2 is another HUGE gameplay problem, as seen in some of the other negative posts (RichardH goes into more detail) The guards at a guard post are INFINITE. You kill them, drive away and instantly there are the same number back! Its not even fun to kill them its just **** annoying, seriously! So OK its not bad enough that I have to drive across the stupid map to do a mish that would be just as "fulfilling" if it was half the distance but I have to stop to clear out the same guard posts on the same road I came down 5 mins ago! And ANOTHER thing, there is no fast travel, you can take a bus that takes you to 1 of 4 places on the outskirts of a map but you have to board the bus at one of those 4 stops so it doesn't help at all. And EVERY, AND I MEAN EVERY mission is on the opposite end of the map. Another thing I was dissapointed in this game was there is nothing to be done to the guns once you get them. There are A FEW guns that have things like a silencer, but you cant choose what you want to put on what or anything its all pre-done and you have 0 options, idk about you but I like options. Now small problems that are VERY frustrating: when you try to revive a friend you have to feel him up first and it takes a solid 10 seconds to revive someone when ultimately you do nothing more than stick him with a needle, seriously if your in the middle of a fight you cant revive anyone because you get shot up. It should take a second or two at most. Also on the same subject when someone comes to revive you, say you accidentally kill yourself (I did it jumping off a bridge into what I thought was deep water to get a chest) the team mate still has the same animation as doing it under fire and it takes FOREVER. Long story short, Im sorry guys as much promise as this game has I couldn't recommend it to anyone, Im not even happy with it for the $5 i wasted on it. Its too redundant, too fake (infinite enemy etc), too slow, and frankly boring. Idk how this game is a sequel if the first one is anything like this im not sure how they grossed enough to make this. The only reason it gets a 3 is because of the unique things it brings to the table (however annoying then get within the hour). Expand
  36. Jun 29, 2011
    The graphics are beautiful, but that alone can't compensate all the flaws this game has. The missions are boring and repetitive, you'll spend an awful lot of time driving around to reach your goal which is also boring. While driving around you'll also encounter scout posts where you'll be attacked, and the worst is that the enemies respawn there every mission, which makes for a frustrating experience.The AI is horrible. they don't take cover or try to flank, the only thing they do is walk straight towards you while shooting at you. The stealth mechanic is broken as once an enemy catches a glance of you all enemies will immediately know the EXACT spot where you are and will continue to follow you around until either you or they are dead. The story is dull and virtually non-existant. The characters are all one-dimensional and the voice acting is atrocious; all characters talk extremely fast and sound emotionless.
    Don't believe the hype and stay away from this game, it truly was a chore to play.
  37. Nov 17, 2011
    Far Cry 2 problem is missions that repeat it selves and map that it more like labyrinth than actually free map. Stealth system is very bad or there isn't it at all. Plot is pretty vague. Lastly even though Jack Carver was not very memorable, dozen mute characters aren't even that.
  38. Dec 14, 2011
    What a disappointment. It's just another boring, repetitive, overrated and overpriced game. I still wonder why they called this game Far Cry 2, as it has very little similarities to the first one. Every mission you take you have to go to the other side of the map driving a stinky old jeep on a dull landscape, and enemies at the checkpoints respawn every time you pass those points, and takes forever to kill. It also means that it will take a lot of time just getting from point A to B in order to attempt to start a mission. If I wanted more open-world I would play the GTA series or even Crysis for that matter. If I wanted to drive I would play the DIRT series.
    It takes many many headshots to kill an enemy, and you cannot rely on large caliber weapons because somehow in this game shooting several rounds of 7.62x39mm into someone's face is not enough to kill him.
    0.5 for Graphics (round up to 1), 0 for everything else. I am thoroughly disappointed.
  39. Dec 30, 2011
    This would have got much higher marks from me if 2 things would have been changed: 1. the most annoying thing i found was having to jump out of the car every 20 seconds to kill a random vehicle or take out a checkpoint. 2. not having to do the friend mission every time to get the bonus.
  40. Jan 13, 2012
    i do not know if this game is a (expensive) test or they just wanted to throw something with no content to ruin their image,great graphics,great sound,story?what story? i give it a 5 for not having decency to at least try to deepen you into it,and the trucks missions?jesus,just by talking about that i give it a 4
  41. Dec 5, 2012
    Let's start off with the multiplayer-aspect. The guns all feel the same. What I mean by that is that it feels as if they've all got the same recoil and there doesnt seem to be any bulletdrop. You learn that one recoil and then you can adjust your aim to it no matter if you're using the heavy mg or a pistol. Other than that all the maps are basicly the same. There's like a hotzone in the middle and you can run around it - there it is. When a match is over and you're the best player on the winning team you can decide to either punish or spare the best player in the opposing team. That's about the only cool thing with the multiplayer-part. I'd sum it up as a **** clone of Call of duty-multiplayer - and im not even a call of duty fanboy. The single player was pretty fun when I started. The story was compelling enough for me to get interested in the antagonist and the main character (yourself) but once you got out of that first "zone" it all got worse. I thought that the survival-aspect seemed cool in trailers. But that was because I expected that the main character would have to collect eatable plants, hunt animals etc in order to survive. But nope. That's all part of some weird and huge unlock-system. You can make a backpack out of 2 X meat from animal Y. That animal is marked on your minimap so there's no way that you can miss it. The same goes for all the plants. Just look at your minimap and all you need to do is go there. It's an open world but since EVERYTHING is marked on the map it feels as if everything is already explored. You already know where everything is so there's close to no exploring. Sure, you can climb up a radiotower and the hotspots will become even more apparent to you (they actually show you how the place looks from an angle, instead of just the marked spot).

And if that wasnt enough the AI is beyond stupid. You can throw rocks to distract the AI, you've got an infinite amount of rocks and you can do it a billion times. Each time the AI goes "WHAT WAS THAT?!", each time just as surprised as the previous time you did it. Their reactiontimes also seem to be really slow. They aim at you and after about 5 seconds they start shooting. I guess this is some setting that would help console-players to kill their enemies fast enough but on a PC it's incredibly easy to get the kill before they actually start shooting.

Eventually the story just spins into a cliché and I totally lost interest. Stopped playing after about two hours of playtime. I doubt I will play it again. The co-op was repetative and easy (on the hardest difficulty). The co-op is not like single player. You're on a rail on one specific "mission" at a time. It's not even a story, you go get a bomb, place it and then you go to spot X. Mission complete and you go back to the lobby. All in all a really crappy game. It gets 2 because the voiceacting was better than average.
  42. Apr 6, 2012
    First few hours are a great fun. Vast world that you can do almost anything you want to do it with possibilities of many story lines. Good graphics too. But after 2 hours I realized that the game was extremely repetitive, enemies re-spawned very quickly. 3 hours later, it was one of the most tedious games I played.
  43. Apr 5, 2012
    The game is boring. The story line is a flimsy excuse for putting you in africa and the "twist" the developers try to incorporate into the game was worse than an Shyamalan movie twist. The mechanics are solid, in that, there are very few mechanics. To name all of them: Weapon degredation, brush fires, vehicles that can explode, AIs that will save your butt when you are about to die. A long list, I know. The game's graphics are very good. That's where the happy fun time ends. The game has about 6 different mission types. All of them basically include killing everyone, searching for diamonds, and getting diamonds for killing everyone. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's very much based on grinding and half of your game is taken traveling to the place to kill people. Every once in a while, you'll need something to keep yourself alive so you have to take a break from killing people, then it's back into the same old killing spree. I wouldn't really recommend this game unless you are incredibly bored and you need to kill a lot of easy to kill somethings. Expand
  44. Apr 18, 2012
    One of the best mediocre games I have played. It had great potential, but failed to deliver. Feels like a console port with mouse acceleration and dumbed down mechanics. The story and missions fail to interest. Too many frustrating moments. I had occasional CTDs. Good AI though and the swaying grass is beautiful. Ok if you can get it for £5. Gameplay: 3/5, Complexity/Realism: 2/5, Story: 1/5, Graphics: 4/5, Sound: 4/5, Balance/Stability: 1/5, AI: 4/5, Campaign Length: 5/5, Controls: 2/5. Expand
  45. Jan 10, 2014
    очень скучная. Очень. ужасно скучная. Невероятно. Но за графику и за огонь она от меня зарабатывает 2. А в остальном... Даже писать не хочется. Сюжета нормального нету, игра практически линейная.
  46. Feb 25, 2014
    I think average score 5.7 to this date is still quite high for this game. Almost non existing story, very limited options what to do, along with some most unrealistic elements (the most crappy cars have gps, you always repair any car and tons of more) this game is one of the most boring 3rd person action on the market. The gameplay is so repetitive, that it gets boring even during the tutorial itself. There is very little to prise about Far cry 2 other than graphics. Expand
  47. Mar 19, 2014
    What ruins the very good atmosphere of this game for me is just that all you do is shoot people, then drive to another place on the other side of the map, get attacked by some outpost people only to shoot more people at the place you were headed! I DON'T CARE ABOUT GOOD GRAFICS IF THE GAMEPLAY IS JUST ANNOYING! I have no idea if the story is good, I didn't want to play it for long.

1. Combat is thrilling – each weapon packing a solid, vicious blast; movement suggesting heft and momentum. [Dec 2008, p.80]
  2. By adopting a laissez faire attitude to player discretion, Ubisoft has crafted a brilliant follow-up.
    More importantly, it has nowhere near as many bugs as something like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl," a title that bears many similarities. Add to the roughly 25 hour single-player campaign a remarkably easy-to-use map creation tool and a full multiplayer suite, and you've got one of the most complete overall gaming packages of the year, as well as one of the most ambitious.