5.8

1. RichardH
    Jun 9, 2009
    WARNING: Tedium ahead. The first iteration of Far Cry was, while not necessarily perfect, a solid first person shooter. It's big, beautiful world let you approach the varied missions using a variety of tactics making it challenging and giving a sense of achievement. After I played this extremely beautiful game for about 15 hours (I tried so hard to like it), I was very disappointed WARNING: Tedium ahead. The first iteration of Far Cry was, while not necessarily perfect, a solid first person shooter. It's big, beautiful world let you approach the varied missions using a variety of tactics making it challenging and giving a sense of achievement. After I played this extremely beautiful game for about 15 hours (I tried so hard to like it), I was very disappointed and felt frustrated that the majority of my actions in the world made little or no difference. For example, I laughed hard when I annihilated one of the infinite-random-henchman-emplacements drove around the next corner and thought, "I wonder how long 'til the henchmen return?" So I turned around and went back only to find the infinite-random-henchman-emplacement teaming with life again. Not a corpse, nor blood stain in sight (Realism, anyone?)! This was my experience when I drove to a mission, when I drove away from a mission, and when I just wanted to drive around looking at the scenery. I laughed at the utterly pathetic plight of my avatar. I agree with Samuel W. This is a disgraceful sequel to a worthy first person shooter. Tetris has what some may not even call graphics and is repetitive yet challenging and extremely fun to play. Far Cry 2 is the most beautiful, repetitive, and mind-numbingly tedious game I have ever played. Poor form. Go play Crysis, the true sequel to Far Cry, and leave this third rate third world game well alone. Expand
  2. May 4, 2013
    This is probably the most repetitive and flawed FPS I've every played. The story itself is pretty good and the environment is wonderful but everything else is horrible, horrible done. The design flaws are some of the worst I've ever had to contend with and has completely turned me off of this series.

The game advertises secondary quests and factions but they have absolutely no impact on the main game. The best way to play this game is to just do the main quest. While there are 2 factions everybody hates you all the time so working for a faction impacts only who gives you the mission. Each time you walk out the door they remind you they hate you. What is the use of having factions if everybody is your enemy. The game has many design flaws that probably sounded good on paper but were horrible in practice.

Let's start with the guard posts scattered throughout the maps. As you clean them out the map marks them as cleared and a counter lets you know how you're doing. Unfortunately if you go a little ways away and come back they are completely repopulated. Other than changing the icon on a map clearing out the posts serves no purpose whatsoever. I got to the point where I just ran through the post and only stopped if I had to.

The game requires that you micromanage your character. Guns jam, you have to take medicine periodically, cars break down and if you get low on health you have to use first aid or bleed to death. This all adds up to more focus on the character than combat. This game is most definitely a FPS because stealth just doesn't work here. As soon as you shoot anyone everyone knows where you're at and their accuracy is astonishing. I had 1 person shooting me with a pistol at long range, across a ravine, throw a wood wall and still kept hitting me.

Back to the health system. When your health gets really low you have to bandage or your die. No problem except the animation takes about 5 seconds and cannot be interrupted (except by enemy fire). And oh by the way the enemies can continue to attack. So if you're swarmed (which you often are by the end of the game) then you have no chance to recover so you reload. That's bad. Here's probably the most idiotic thing I've ever seen in a game it quick saves just before you start the long, uninterruptible animation. That means you get quick saves of the game just before you either get lucky and survive or you die. Whoever thought that was a good idea should never design a game again.

There are so many enemies running around in cars that you end up fighting more people getting to a mission (because the fast travel system isn't that fast) than in the mission itself. Even worse is that cars tend to not make any noise until they start shooting at you and if they are too close you cannot shoot back without getting out of the car.

Overall this game was not fun to play. I ran through most of the map just to get to a mission, stopping only when I had to. During the missions I went straight to the goal because nothing else had any impact anyway. Even the ending of the game where you had a choice to make had absolutely no impact on the ending. I cannot possible recommend this game to anyone other than a hard core FPS person who has nothing else to play. I remember when this game came out they advertised "realistic fire". Yes the fire looks awesome but if all I really wanted was to watch real fire I'd become a fireman. Clearly this game was sold based upon its name more than its design.
  3. May 23, 2013
    The only redeeming quality in this game is the graphics.

The enemy AI is terrible but, they just stand there shooting, all you have to do is snipe them all out easily because they don't take cover or move about much. Somehow they manage to hit you from long distances while you're on the move inside a vehicle, rubbish. The vehicles all feel the same, even in GTA3 a very old game now
    The only redeeming quality in this game is the graphics.

The vehicles all feel the same, even in GTA3 a very old game now they managed to make you feel like you were driving different vehicles. Then, there's a hang glider, lol, pointless, no fun, gimmick.

The missions are all very similar, drive 10 minutes to go kill someone, blow a truck or deliver some documents. I think the developers have done it on purpose, how come the mission is always on the other end of the map, it makes you spend 90% of the driving. If the driving part was fun it wouldn't be so bad, but it's not, it doesn't even feel like driving, it feels like walking really fast with shaky camera, I think it's because the vehicles have only two velocities, you're stopped or moving, they forgot the acceleration part of driving.

Not sure if I consider the random missions a story, it makes little sense.
  4. Feb 2, 2014
    Most overrated FPS ever, makes COD franchise look good. FC1 was great, FC3 was good, FC2 simply falls flat on its face.
    It has Great graphics, the African landscape was great but devoid of any fauna(bye bye realism) The shooting mechanic is mediocre but the stupid AI completely ruined it all. As for the Open World, here is a piece of advice to developers. Open World games are fun only when it is fun to explore. The map is horrendous, the vehicles are crap and break down with 3 shots (fck authenticity) with arcade like physics(maybe to please casual gamers) and the first person driving is horrendous with your dashboard and your FAIL-ATTEMPT-TO-BE-UNIQUE map taking up 75% of your view. And those irritating checkpoints...made doing side quest a hell.
    Here is a scenerio. You travel to one edge of the map for a quest, to reach there you have to kill all the baddies in the checkpoints again, like 3-4 of them..around 10 mins travel time. Quest tells you to go to a place which takes 20 mins to reach, and again go through those checkposts killing all those respawned enemies. If you spend 20 hrs on this game, 15 hrs will be spent traveling and re-killing everything you killed few moments ago.
    And plz lets not go into the "malaria" system. ughhh..
    I uninstalled it after 5 hours of play, just to get my money's worth(in vain) cuz it was simply unplayable..
  5. Mar 18, 2013
    Seemed like it was going to be good. Graphics, sound all impressive. Story kind of cool. But the more you play, the more repetitive this game gets. The problem is that it takes SO long to get from point A to point B. Checkpoints you've cleared become populated quickly so you end up battling practically every inch of the way if you want to get anywhere. It's a fatal flaw because youSeemed like it was going to be good. Graphics, sound all impressive. Story kind of cool. But the more you play, the more repetitive this game gets. The problem is that it takes SO long to get from point A to point B. Checkpoints you've cleared become populated quickly so you end up battling practically every inch of the way if you want to get anywhere. It's a fatal flaw because you end up not really wanting to travel anywhere because of the tedium involved.

The only game left more unfinished by my friends might be Dead Island, which is a zombie version of this game. Great graphics, great acting, great audio, good gameplay, but it just becomes totally tedious to play. I understand the 5.6 10 user score, but the 85 100 critic score just reminds me why, like movie reviewers, professional critics all suck and should be summarily ignored.

Not that it has anything to do with playability of the merits of this game, but I'd like to understand why this game was even called "Far Cry". It's about as close in plot and story to Far Cry 1 as Bioshock is to Quake 4. LOL...
  6. Feb 21, 2013
    Great graphics although a bit buggy especially with the directx 10 mode selected. The muted washed-out color tones sets a kind of depressing mood, probably what the developers wanted. But the graphics is the end of the good points.

The AI sucks big time. The enemy has x-ray vision making any kind of stealth play impossible. You spend time sneaking up on your target then kill him with a silenced weapon or your machete but be ready for instant mayhem. Everyone knows what you did and where you are. Run for your life. Shoot someone from a distance and the enemy knows exactly where you are. The enemy can see through dense foliage, walls and rocks. Run for your life. You can watch an enemy look and fire in the opposite direction from you but you will still get hit. It's quite hilarious!

Forget about a story line, there isn't one. You just go on missions and kill everyone you see, or run for your life.There are no other options. Try to kill the Jackal? No way. It's a bogus story ploy. Try to help your friends that you've collected through the game. No way. The developers have higher goals for you. Be careful they have a political agenda.

Very disappointing game. Not looking forward to another silly Far Cry X.
  7. Jun 16, 2013
    This game typifies everything that can go wrong with an open-world, sandbox-style game. It's a big, beautiful world to explore and most of what you do in it means absolutely nothing.

Getting from mission to mission is about as fun as the Park 'n Ride experience of commuting to the airport. Except, however, that in the case of air travel you might just be going someplace fun. In FC2, you're going to the next repetitive mission the writers painfully crafted on spare napkins while waiting for their order to come up at In-n-out. This is lazy, mass-produced content that rivals the story-telling depth of PONG.

You may enjoy Far Cry 2 if you enjoy these other things:

1) Standing in line at Disneyland as opposed to the ride itself
    2) The subtleties of watching paint dry
    3) Chatting with DMV Employees
    4) Waiting for Uranium to decay
    5) The uniqueness of IKEA furniture
  8. Jul 30, 2013
    Just repetitive. A complete disappointment. Huge open world, with nothing in it worth exploring. Generic world, generic enemies (which respawn after what feels like 30 seconds). Graphis etc. may be good, but the game offers no introduction, no interesting characters, no storyline. Somehow even the core mechanics, the shooting, didn't appeal to me, and the rather not so smart AI does notJust repetitive. A complete disappointment. Huge open world, with nothing in it worth exploring. Generic world, generic enemies (which respawn after what feels like 30 seconds). Graphis etc. may be good, but the game offers no introduction, no interesting characters, no storyline. Somehow even the core mechanics, the shooting, didn't appeal to me, and the rather not so smart AI does not improve the gaming experience. Expand
  9. Mar 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game severely lacks interesting game-play. The protagonist must travel hundreds of miles chased by pea brained, buggy AI that will hunt you down no matter where you run to. How is this realistic? To make matters worse, you encounter hundreds of the same monotonous check-points that vary only in the number of tires and fences that are commonly found around one.. On top of that, you have an incurable malaria that serves as a really a poor plot device. Finding a cure for malaria should not drive the STORY! The story should be driven by fun game-play and interesting missions. The mission narrative doesn't really push the envelope either as it centers too much on petty clan warfare and local rivalry. The developers attempted to change the names of the clans and characters to break the monotony, but the characters continually bring about the same plot elements I describe above-petty rivalries, etc.. Even the equipment is a letdown. Vehicles blow up too easily and weapons constantly jam. The only thing that really kept me going a 1/3 of the way through the game was the possibility of acquiring better weapons. Unfortunately, the mechanics of wealth acquisition don't favor even a moderately fast ascension to power. Acquiring wealth is slow, painful, and disheartening. The primary currency for barter are diamonds that are scattered across the whole god-forsaken territory that you must trek across ever so painfully. If you ever manage to complete the miserable story-line, Ubisoft should award you with a small prize. Believe me, you deserve it for all of the torture you will assuredly have to endure. The only reason why I gave this abomination of a game a 1 is because it serves as a good benchmark for video-cards. My recommendation to those who wish to avert a deplorable gaming experience is to avoid playing Far Cry 2 altogether. In fact, the game itself, if you bought a physical copy, should be reserved for use as a coaster for soft drinks. Alternatively, the dvd-rom can be used in a futurist art project. Better yet, go use it to play frisbee with your dog in a park. If by the unluckiest of chances, you bought a digital copy, you will undoubtedly be dismayed at having wasted however many dollars you spent on this treasure that, by it's digital nature, precludes it's more appropriate uses described above. If this is the case for you, let me just a dedicate a moment of silence to you. Expand
  10. RobJ
    Jul 7, 2009
    There are a 2 main complaints that i have with this game: 1: Its a bit of a misleading title. If your buying this game expecting more of the same fun as the original far cry, buy crysis instead because this "sequel" is Far Cry in name only. the only similarity I could find was the fact that you start the game with a machete and a pistol. 2: There are some brilliant game mechanics (the There are a 2 main complaints that i have with this game: 1: Its a bit of a misleading title. If your buying this game expecting more of the same fun as the original far cry, buy crysis instead because this "sequel" is Far Cry in name only. the only similarity I could find was the fact that you start the game with a machete and a pistol. 2: There are some brilliant game mechanics (the health system and malaria gimmick were pretty cool, as well as the map system and the car repair thingy) however these great ideas are marred by the fact that the developers seem to have forgotten to put a game around these mechanics. It all looks very pretty and the graphics are nice, but when every mission is to travel to the other side of the samey landscape and kill someone for some reason it gets a bit old. Not to mention the journey to these areas is slowed considerably by random respawning jeeps full of baddies blocking your path. I was basically fighting the same enemies in the same landscape with the objective of fighting more of the same enemies slightly further away. so overall, great game mechanics, but it needs a more coherant and varied main mission. Calling this game Far Cry is like making a new Max Payne game only to take Max Payne out of New York, remove his trademark hair and oh wait. Expand
  11. Smith
    Nov 26, 2009
    The game's only good thing is the graphics, the game play and repetitive and dull, enemies are all the same. Most of the play time is driving around since the game always puts the objective at the ass end of the world map. The gore and blood are ridiculous. Nothing about this game is special! The story is almost non existent. please save your money and dont buy it. it is a waste.
  12. DrewL
    Jul 23, 2009
    Miserable. Just miserable. Loved the first Far Cry, and this one manages to keep none of the firsts good points while introducing a whole mess of bad. The menus and interface is clunky at best, and the gameplay is tedious right from the start. Travel to and from missions takes forever with tons of meaningless fighting along the way. Missions are all the same. The storyline is basic and Miserable. Just miserable. Loved the first Far Cry, and this one manages to keep none of the firsts good points while introducing a whole mess of bad. The menus and interface is clunky at best, and the gameplay is tedious right from the start. Travel to and from missions takes forever with tons of meaningless fighting along the way. Missions are all the same. The storyline is basic and dull. I tried playing FC2 for four hours and had exactly zero minutes of fun. I kept hoping that it would get better and it never did. Expand
  13. Oct 29, 2012
    I like first Far Cry. But this game- piece of **** Good Graphics- that` s all what this game can propose to you. Stupid mission, stupid respawn, boring safari and idiotic story.
  14. MikeC
    Jun 5, 2009
    I am utterly disappointed. As a rule I check out the reviews of a game before buying, and probably the biggest mistake I made with Far Cry 2 was looking at the critic score on this site rather than the users'. This will not happen again, as the "professional critics" (I use that term loosely) all appear in this case to have consumed the same dull, murky brown kool aid. I dare not I am utterly disappointed. As a rule I check out the reviews of a game before buying, and probably the biggest mistake I made with Far Cry 2 was looking at the critic score on this site rather than the users'. This will not happen again, as the "professional critics" (I use that term loosely) all appear in this case to have consumed the same dull, murky brown kool aid. I dare not suggest, like some others on here, that they are on the take, but it is more than a little suspicious to see so many rave reviews for a game that has nothing gonig for it besides ambition...and if there's one thing gamers should have learned by now, it's that ambition combined with lazy execution (no civilians? no friendlies/neutrals out in the field except for the Deus Ex Machina buddies? oy) invariably makes for a bad game. Expand
  15. Dr.No
    Oct 2, 2009
    No, no, no. To put it shortly, this game is a joke. I had to finish it just to convince myself i was right. Even then I couldnt believe myself and to backup my thoughts I decided to google to find out what others think out this hyped game. That's how I found this site. Had a blast reading those reviews. I feel for everyone who paid full price of the game. It's the saddest and No, no, no. To put it shortly, this game is a joke. I had to finish it just to convince myself i was right. Even then I couldnt believe myself and to backup my thoughts I decided to google to find out what others think out this hyped game. That's how I found this site. Had a blast reading those reviews. I feel for everyone who paid full price of the game. It's the saddest and overhyped game I have played so far. Expand
  16. davskib
    Jul 10, 2009
    Absolute, overhyped nonsense. Don't waste your money. I can't, in my right mind, believe reviewers' scores are as high as they are. $ talks, and BS review(s) walks. Sad disappointment. Play Crysis Warhead, then try this game and you'll know what I'm talking about. Hell, SOF from 6 years ago, which btw is a good game even now, is better than this PoS. How sad.
  17. NaytoE
    Jul 14, 2009
    Samuel W Sums this game up very well... I give this 'thing' a 0 simply because it isn't a game, it's just a thing for looking pretty in videos and pictures and to be fair the graphics are poor in comparison with games like Crysis. So, it doesn't even succeed at looking pretty, So very very poor. Ubisoft, once again, take a large turd and plop it onto a once great title.
  18. KillerE
    Sep 4, 2009
    Ok i never do these "rate this game" crap becuase i never give a crap if someone buys a bad game. THere lost. But this..... this is just terrible. Not even the village idiot deserves to play this. This game in everyone stink beside graphically but who give a crap about. It all about gameplay and story. You can have the most best game looking in the world and it will suck if it dosnt have Ok i never do these "rate this game" crap becuase i never give a crap if someone buys a bad game. THere lost. But this..... this is just terrible. Not even the village idiot deserves to play this. This game in everyone stink beside graphically but who give a crap about. It all about gameplay and story. You can have the most best game looking in the world and it will suck if it dosnt have a good gameplay and story. This has nothing other then boredom and the feeling that "You Will Know" and i cant stress that enough, that youmeeting up with the dumbest ai in the world and that is game has nothing new to it that other great game title have already accomplished. Its a wannibee game. If anything Ubisoft pay high money for critics to rate there game prositivly. Kinda like those commerical you see on tv for a movie saying "its the best movie in the world and must be seen" when in reality it sucks and they pay random people to say it great to trick you. That goes this this game and many other ubisoft game other then Il-2 (which was never part of ubi soft in the first place) and splinter cell 1 2 and 3. All other games are just over advertised game they promote. If anything UBI lost an other customer. I will only buy a game from them if it was made by a other company that has there name but other then that never again. And for IGN review saying "More importantly, it has nowhere near as many bugs as something like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl," a title that bears many similarities" I have stalker and it 1000 times better then this crap for a game. It barely full of bugs because most were fix since you last review of it 3 years ago. It has more game play in it, action, horror, and etc then most games. It has a huge modding community and a story with 7 different ending depend on what you do. And stalker is 3-4 years old now yet it accomplish basically everything that this crappy game try to mimic. Stalker is the unsong hero that start nonlinear FPS with open world and etc. It has for its time great ai that will even outsmart this game Ai by a long shot, amazing wildlife (animal and mutants hunt each other and are non scripted. there only 3 thing there programed for is eat, sleep, and basic needs for life. nothing else). Everyone if you want a game that this crap for a game try to be Buy Stalker or Fallout 3 (even though fall out 3 is more RPG but hey at least it bring people back to play it more even if they finished it). Expand
  19. Aug 14, 2012
    This game is truly a far cry from the first one. Everything you loved about the first game is gone here. The only thing this has in common with the other is the glider. That's it. If you're looking to recapture the experience of Far Cry 1 be prepared for massive disappointment.
    Let's start with the good: the graphics. This is the only decent thing about this game. The environments looks nice all around but even this quickly loses its appeal after while since there's not much to look at. It's mostly sparse landscapes. It looks nice but also boring. The character model's faces are also lacking in detail. Now the bad: everything else. The audio in this game is poorly done. The weapons sound cheap and unconvincing. The vehicles have this little hum when driving. The characters' voices can be hard to hear sometimes and they usually talk pretty fast. There is no depth or range to the sound. I can't tell if someone is talking 5 feet away or 50 feet away. There are no options to individually adjust voice or sound effect volumes. Music can't be adjusted either. You can only turn it on or off. The AI in this game is atrocious. They will usually try to flank you but it's pointless since they all have eagle eye vision and auto-aim and can hit you from a mile away with no problem. Sometimes the AI will get stuck and they'll be facing another direction when you're right in front of them. The AI automatically senses when you get into a vehicle and starts firing at you so if you can't see where that enemy has run off to just get into a car and they'll start shooting at you. The gameplay is the worst part. It's just awful. EVERYONE will shoot you on sight. It doesn't matter which faction you do missions for. Their guys won't help you since you're "undercover". The enemies take an excessive amount of damage. You have to shoot them so many times to kill them. The turret in this game is crap. It's severely underpowered and actually takes longer to kill the enemies than your own weapons do unless they're right in your face. Seriously. If you try and stay at a distance to take out the guardposts with a turret it will take forever to kill them while they will have no problem shooting you. 75% of the game is you driving around from point A to point B and it's usually from one end of the map to the other. Then there are the guardposts with the respawning enemies. This is undoubtedly the most annoying part of the game. If you kill the enemies and then go a certain distance and then return to that guardpost the enemies all respawn even if you killed them 2 minutes ago. There's no point in wasting time using stealth or trying to be clever since they just respawn and you have to kill them again on your way back. They make it so it's impossible to go around most of these checkpoints. You can't just blow past them in a vehicle either because they will get in their vehicle and chase you and they will ALWAYS catch up to you because the game cheats. I've tested this and they get this turbo speed boost to catch you. You have no choice but to stop and shoot them. There's also constant vehicle patrols all over the place. They'll either shoot you if there's a guy on the turret or tail and ram you forever until you stop and kill them.

The gameplay is extremely repetitive. All you do is drive around the map performing missions by killing someone or blowing something up. That's it. Ubisoft did this exact same thing with Assassin's Creed. Go from point A to point B, kill someone, rinse and repeat. It's obvious they do not know how to make a fun game and I don't have much hope for Far Cry 3. Then they threw in various gameplay elements like weapons jamming, fixing cars, and you having malaria and needing to constantly take medicine, to try and make it realistic but all it does is annoy you. If you pick up an enemy's weapon it will be in a degraded state. Very quickly the weapon will jam and you have to press reload to fix it. But when the enemy uses their gun it never jams on them. Only you. How is that realistic? So the only point is to piss you off. If your car gets shot up it will start smoking and you will have to fix it. The animation consists of you turning a bolt with a wrench. Yes that's how it gets fixed. Just like in real life. The malaria thing is dumb and adds nothing to the game except to irritate you. Try having a malaria attack while your gun jams on you and your car is smoking while a bunch of auto-aiming enemies are around you. See how fun that is.

The game suffers from numerous glitches. I had an enemy floating in the air and then dropping and dying and alerting his friends.There are audio problems like no sound or subtitles when answering the phone. The game will crash periodically. The gameplay is repetitive and annoying. It's not even an average game. It's a below average mess. Save your money. It's a huge letdown.
  20. Oct 1, 2012
    This is Worst Game I have ever played...made me sick in real time ...Complete Nonsense...At least Game Makers should know,what he is trying user to grab...what we are doing in this game...what to do why to do and ultimately what's aim? ...Iam deleting this game in middle...even i dont know how many missions i have completed...wtf.
  21. Nov 19, 2012
    The original Far Cry is one of my favorite game of all time. Its name is filled with honor. Because you know at the time the game was made they used top-notch graphics, and the story and gameplay was just explosive. How ever, Far Cry 2 was the most disappointing game ever. If you die, you will spawn to far away for your destination. You have to take malaria pills every so often. PeopleThe original Far Cry is one of my favorite game of all time. Its name is filled with honor. Because you know at the time the game was made they used top-notch graphics, and the story and gameplay was just explosive. How ever, Far Cry 2 was the most disappointing game ever. If you die, you will spawn to far away for your destination. You have to take malaria pills every so often. People always knows who you are, even if you're just driving a car, enemies will spot you and shot at you. The game is just to flawed and it never ends. Crytek, why did you sell Far Cry? Worst mistake they ever made. Expand
  22. Nov 29, 2012
    You play a couple of missions types repeatedly through out the whole game. You have to travel massive distances to do it. It's boring. The graphics were the only selling point in the game. I loved FarCry. I couldn't finish the game I was so bored. I usually finish every game I buy. I was one of those fools that bought it full price. Harsh lesson learnt.
  23. Feb 1, 2013
    Not worth it! I purchased it on a special offer at just $9.99 so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I had already played Far Cry 3 and liked so thought I would give the previous version a chance but it is TERRIBLE. Hard to follow the mapmarkers, the fast travel is horrible and even though I am on EASY level, it's just very hard to achieve your missions. I can't believe the differenceNot worth it! I purchased it on a special offer at just $9.99 so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I had already played Far Cry 3 and liked so thought I would give the previous version a chance but it is TERRIBLE. Hard to follow the mapmarkers, the fast travel is horrible and even though I am on EASY level, it's just very hard to achieve your missions. I can't believe the difference between Far Cry 2 and 3. The 3rd installment is very good. But don't waste your time on this one. I can see why user score is 5.6 Expand
  24. Jul 21, 2013
    Too much driving. Too much scavenging. Combat is very repetitive. Enemies spawn back way too quickly. And where is the story? Played 8 hours so far and I am sick and tired of it.
  25. Apr 16, 2011
    Nothing on the first one. The first was a sweet game- great graphics, fun story- a really enjoyable game.

This one? Very repetitive. Clear a camp, come back later and it's inhabited by the same people again...
  26. Jun 14, 2012
    This game bored me to tears so badly that I had to quit. Virtually every aspect of this game is broken, overly done, or underdone. The realism they try to implement means that you can die from a 5 foot fall, your weapons never work, and because it's Africa everything has to be ugly and bland as sin. Far cry instincts beats this game so miserably it was a wasted release for ubisoft.This game bored me to tears so badly that I had to quit. Virtually every aspect of this game is broken, overly done, or underdone. The realism they try to implement means that you can die from a 5 foot fall, your weapons never work, and because it's Africa everything has to be ugly and bland as sin. Far cry instincts beats this game so miserably it was a wasted release for ubisoft. Furthermore, my CD key is repetedly refused for the online, despite attempting all fixes possible. This game is therefore unfinished and worthless. Expand
  27. PaulS
    Sep 15, 2009
    Installing this entertaining baloney is straight forward, as long as you accept SecuROM and toward the end of installation just before launching the game, there is an update and then... presto, the game is playable with no CD running around the African savannah trying to dodge fatigue inducing malaria. The first noticeable glitch is the graphics: sepia tones, bland, dull, drenched as if Installing this entertaining baloney is straight forward, as long as you accept SecuROM and toward the end of installation just before launching the game, there is an update and then... presto, the game is playable with no CD running around the African savannah trying to dodge fatigue inducing malaria. The first noticeable glitch is the graphics: sepia tones, bland, dull, drenched as if the hot African sun had scorched the fire prone grass to suck out any moisture from man-made surroundings. The hero, anti hero or idiot takes a vehicle ride and just as he arrives becomes sick with malaria?! Now, you wonder why this game wasnt titled 'Far Crap: Malaria'. When Malaria Idiot becomes conscious he has an interaction with some loser who doesnt look like a Jackal but is definitely human?! Next, Malaria Idiot stumbles downstairs into a shootout and gets shot up?! Now, Malaria Idiot is no more enlightened than at the beginning of this lacklustre gaming inexperience and at the end, Malaria Idiot will wish he were mauled and snuffed out by a voracious, Malaria Idiot eating lion or horned through by a rampaging rhino or after taking an uninspiring swim squashed by a sunbaking hippo. We could even settle for an elephant tusking the Jackal and Malaria Idiot into a painful, snail-slow, 1 to 2 FPS, kick-the-bucket ending. Ubisoft?! U Be Instantly Soft... yes, after playing this, my brain is spam mushy. At least, unlike the creators of this entertaining miasma of faux pas induced fait accompli, I was never a Richard Cranium... Expand
  28. Nov 4, 2012
    Bought it after seeing some positive videos on the tube. I regretted it. The graphics are absolutely stunning but the game per se is terrible. Far Cry 2 is basically a terrific map with a terrible game spawning sporadically.
  29. LadsyM
    Jul 6, 2009
    This truly is a broken game. All its faults are reasonably easily fixable. However, they remain, and between the terrible design decisions (instantly respawning checkpoints), totally thick AI (not as bad as Crysis, but still pretty bad) and the arduous, shameless lengthening of the game, in the form of spending 70% of your play time driving, the crimes this game commits are unforgivable. This truly is a broken game. All its faults are reasonably easily fixable. However, they remain, and between the terrible design decisions (instantly respawning checkpoints), totally thick AI (not as bad as Crysis, but still pretty bad) and the arduous, shameless lengthening of the game, in the form of spending 70% of your play time driving, the crimes this game commits are unforgivable. It is a dog. Expand
  30. ThadM.
    May 1, 2009
    I have never been so sad about a game i LOVED far cry 1 and this is just the worst excuse for AI and mission and storyline and voice acting ever they could have just built a new graphics engine and thrown the old far crys ai and story line on this and it would have been a better game whatever you do DO NOT BUY THIS.
  31. GalenK
    Oct 4, 2009
    This game is confused, it says its going for immersion right? so why when i am creeping through the shadows and raise my ak-47 and shoot a bullet into a person's heart he turns around and kills me? Call of Duty 4 is more fun than this game and more realistic, and i thought call of duty was the epitome of psuedo-realism but this game tops it, having studied the terminal ballistics of This game is confused, it says its going for immersion right? so why when i am creeping through the shadows and raise my ak-47 and shoot a bullet into a person's heart he turns around and kills me? Call of Duty 4 is more fun than this game and more realistic, and i thought call of duty was the epitome of psuedo-realism but this game tops it, having studied the terminal ballistics of military rounds this game was no more immersive than far cry 1. snipers are also clearly the best guns in the game, the imbalances in the game are very annoying. also the upgrades for how much ammo you can carry are stupid small, you pay a massive amount of money for 1 more clip in each gun, its idiotic. along with that the health system should have been adapted from the call of duty series but nope they had to waist their time putting pointless animations of you pulling sh*t out of yourself, idiotic, you also had to constantly be stocking up on syringes which just slows down game play for no good reason and stresses you out because if one of your partners is shot down and you are out you have to shoot them in the face, what the hell is all i can say to that ill-advised mechanic. also this game feels nothing like Africa at all, i couldn't have been less immersed. the game breaker for me was that it takes 5 shots to the chest to kill someone with a 7.62mmX51mm (FN-FAL para) which should be a one shot to the heart along with every other gun and 1 shot to the lung. overall a very very broken game that left me wishing i could sell steam games. Expand
  32. KeijoK
    May 30, 2009
    I´ll give 2 point for smoothly running game, graphics are good and there are no clitches. The game itself is as said in most of the comments the biggest disappointment of the year. This is not an FPS this is poorly made driving game, they did everything better in Colin Mcrae rally 2.0; consider buying it instead. I´m just curious; did they pay for the reviewers to give good I´ll give 2 point for smoothly running game, graphics are good and there are no clitches. The game itself is as said in most of the comments the biggest disappointment of the year. This is not an FPS this is poorly made driving game, they did everything better in Colin Mcrae rally 2.0; consider buying it instead. I´m just curious; did they pay for the reviewers to give good points to this piece of you know what? I´m disappointed. Expand
  33. MadsHC
    May 22, 2009
    I just completed the story mode on medium, and i've gotta say, that i am really dissappointed. I think this game misses alot. There's not a very wide selection of vechicles, which i think really sucks. The guard posts and the safe houses are pretty much all the same. I think the selection of weapons is too small. There isn't even any special quest weapons, which is a must I just completed the story mode on medium, and i've gotta say, that i am really dissappointed. I think this game misses alot. There's not a very wide selection of vechicles, which i think really sucks. The guard posts and the safe houses are pretty much all the same. I think the selection of weapons is too small. There isn't even any special quest weapons, which is a must for any game. The way you acheive your weapons in this game is quite bad too. It's cooler to just walk around and pick up whatever weapons you enemies may have. In the 1st Far Cry game you could throw rocks to distract you enemies, which is a feature i really miss in this game. The quests in the game is all the same. Go kill someone or go get medicine. No sniping quests, no sick weapons quests, no "free use of sick explosions" quests. Not even a single car chase or something like that! I also think the story of the game is very badly written. It seems like they have just made the main quest to kill "The Jackal" just because they needed something to be the main objective. None of the quests seem to have any relation to that main objective at all. But the worst shit in this game is the ending. Either go shoot yourself or blow yourself up..... That sucks ..... Visually the game is amazing, but just about every last piece of the game sucks. Repetitive, unrealistic and boring. I was expecting Far Cry 1 with a new storyline and better graphic! I payed 495 DKK for this game, which equals to about 80 USD..... Waste of money! My overall rating is going to be 2/5 I'd rather play Far Cry 1, if they hadn't added all the monsters. Expand
  34. SamuelW
    May 24, 2009
    I'm giving this game a 1, sincerely, because it's not a game at all. It is a gigantic conglomeration of nothingness in a vast world of nothing, where everything, everywhere, is exactly the same. A game (in my opinion) is supposed to have some kind of substance to it. If there was ever an instance of a modern game with phenomenal graphics that had the gameplay of an atari game, I'm giving this game a 1, sincerely, because it's not a game at all. It is a gigantic conglomeration of nothingness in a vast world of nothing, where everything, everywhere, is exactly the same. A game (in my opinion) is supposed to have some kind of substance to it. If there was ever an instance of a modern game with phenomenal graphics that had the gameplay of an atari game, this is definitely it. Every mission is EXACTLY the same. Well, I shouldn't say every one... There are 3 types of missions. You either blow up a truck and get guns, kill a random dude in a random place for money, or kill some random guys in a random place to make money and make the faction happy. None of it feels like anything at all. This is the only game in existence where playing missions is exactly the same as not playing missions. If you randomly drive around and don't accept a single mission of the game, you will be equally as satisfied as completing the game (ie, you will be about as satisfied as drinking piss when you're thirsty). None of it makes any sense. You will be in the middle of a firefight, and suddenly your brand new gun will jam, then your screen will blur out and turn yellow because you're randomly sick with malaria, you will get shot nearly to death, so you run like a scared little girl behind the first rock you see. 3 bandages, a syringe, and popping some pills later... you feel better... only to repeat this incredible nonsense all over again 15 minutes later. Oh.... Oh..... don't even get me started on the controls..... really.... don't... well.. oh, what's that? You want to hear what I think of the controls? Okay! EPIC BAGS OF FAIL Mouse is extremely laggy and sluggish even with 60 fps. After random tweaking of various files, I have gotten it to feel "decent" at best. Leaning and Prone are completely 100% removed. Why remove a feature from the second game that was essential to the first game? It's one thing if you're playing half life and you can't go into prone or lean, but in a jungle setting where cover is essential, you will grind your teeth out cursing the developers for being so naive. Every movement feels slow, sluggish, and delayed. Your character sprints slower than a sloth, and becomes tired and weary after a mere 3 seconds of sprinting. Jumping feels useless, especially when there are invisible walls EVERYWHERE to keep you from getting to places that seem interesting. ............ I'm done. Please, do yourself a favor and don't buy this game. Far Cry 1 for the PC was one of my favorite games of all time. I've beaten it countless times and had countless hours of fun playing through that game. I'm disgusted that this developer disgraced a title that I hold so dear to me. Expand
  35. May 8, 2012
    Boring. Repetitive, Ridiculous respawns. Waste of time. The negative reviews sum it up. The game is a "far cry" from being even remotely related to the first game. Steam needs to start giving refunds for piles of waste.
  36. Jun 6, 2012
    This game is a shame for the name Far Cry! The first (and only) Far Cry was a brilliant masterpiece with excellent graphics, very long and really amazing campaign, great level design, everything just perfect!
    It was a revoltuion to the PC game market.
    It was a revoltuion to the PC game market.
    That's pretty much everything that FarCry 2 does not have. It doesn't continue Jack Carvers story, the envirenment is in a **** desert, graphics are quite nice, but there is NO story at all. All you do is move from control point A to control point B and kill some dudes on the way, when you are done with the mission and drive the same way back home, the dudes you killed have respawned and you got to fight them again! I AM NOT F**KING KIDDING! This makes you mad. Don't waste a cent on this game!
  37. Sep 28, 2010
    Crap indeed.Dont waste your money in this.It doesnt worth to be played.It destroyes FAR CRY soul the one from the original far cry which is by the way much better.3
  38. Oct 11, 2010
    Stay FAR FAR FAR away from the PC version of this game, not even at a discount price on steam will you feel like you got your moneys worth. The controls are horrible and make the game unplayable and that's just the tip of this iceberg. Even if we look past the bugs of this horrible port, the game you see is merely "decent" but nothing like the original. This is a sequel in name only.
  39. Aug 28, 2012
    Picked it up on the cheap during Steam's summer sale. Heard some good things about it, it was cheap, I like nonlinear open-world type games. And Far Cry 2 has the distinction of being the third time I have ever experience buyer's remorse. This... I don't know how to explain it... I guess the best I can come up with is it plays more like a demonstration of a physics/graphics engine than anPicked it up on the cheap during Steam's summer sale. Heard some good things about it, it was cheap, I like nonlinear open-world type games. And Far Cry 2 has the distinction of being the third time I have ever experience buyer's remorse. This... I don't know how to explain it... I guess the best I can come up with is it plays more like a demonstration of a physics/graphics engine than an actual game. Pretty graphics, some nice gameplay mechanics, but it has two major problems that pretty much ruin it for me.

The first is the story. Which is to say there practically isn't a story. I only played about 4 hours before I dropped it, so it might get better later, but at the point I got to it was just a series of talk to person, go to other side of world, clear camp, rinse and repeat. If you want any kind of story details, you have to pause it and look at your journal. I'm usually alright with that kind of thing, but it just feels really unfulfilling in relation to most other games I've played that have that have journal-type-things.

The second major issue I have is the gameplay. I can look past an absent story if the game is fun to play, I mean I've put over 100 hours in to Team Fortress 2 and I'm not even a big multiplayer type of guy. As I mentioned though, I've only played 4 hours so maybe it gets better, I don't know. But like I mentioned in the story section, every mission plays the same. Talk to guy, go to other side of world, clear camp. It's BEYOND repetitive. Really, the main reason I haven't played past 4 hours is because I got so sick of the gameplay.

Really, everything else in the game to me is minor, those two alone ruined it for me and I'm probably never going to pick up this game again. But, like I said, go it on the cheap so no major damage done.
  40. JiriK
    Jan 9, 2009
    Absolute dissapoitment. Long time drooling about the sequel to great Far Cry game went through the window since I´ve passed third mission. I went to Gas Station for killing roughly 20 men, turned in mission, then I went to Gas Station for killing one man, turned in mission, then I went to Gas Station ( what a surprise :( ) for finding some papers. How about finding the papers while Absolute dissapoitment. Long time drooling about the sequel to great Far Cry game went through the window since I´ve passed third mission. I went to Gas Station for killing roughly 20 men, turned in mission, then I went to Gas Station for killing one man, turned in mission, then I went to Gas Station ( what a surprise :( ) for finding some papers. How about finding the papers while I was annihilating the whole area in the first try, Ubisoft? Stupid AI which allows all enemies to know EXACT location of you after firing first shot ( not to mentios enemies in the buildings with no line of sight of me ). Snipers shooting on 400 meters ( got details maxed out, but I cannot see him because of engine limits ), 12 types of cars - no one of it can be handled quite right and the speed 40km/h is not different from 120km/h, absolutely repetitive missions containing 90% of driving/walking and 10% of action ( is this game a trekking/hiking simulator with occasional action or what? ) guns are made nicely, but after 15 minutes I have figured out, that close range weapons are forbidden ... using long range weapons saves lot of time and makes the game easier. Last drop was looking at the Steam forum where I tried to find helpo with frequent crashes and BSODs and found out that last post was two weeks old and the topic was: "Is anybody still playing this game?" My worst invested money for game ever. Ubisoft, learn from your mistakes ... do what you can perfectly ( Prince of Persia ). Expand
  41. PaulT.
    Oct 26, 2008
    Totally ruined by the presence of SecuROM and limited activations. Pirates are now enjoying this game free of any hindrance, meanwhile, I'm left with having to hunt for something else. My computer is my business and I will not allow corporate spyware on my machine. This DRM is powerless against piracy and is killing the PC games industry.
  42. DanD.
    Oct 25, 2008
    Very disappointed,the interface is like something out of the 90's, very clumsy. The graphics are washed out and dull( they do this for an effect?)The game play is boring,you have to unload almost a Clip into the bad guy to get him to go down. The Characters run around looking like Forest Gump;) There was so much Hype about it, I feel Ripped Off by the makers and the whole Industry Very disappointed,the interface is like something out of the 90's, very clumsy. The graphics are washed out and dull( they do this for an effect?)The game play is boring,you have to unload almost a Clip into the bad guy to get him to go down. The Characters run around looking like Forest Gump;) There was so much Hype about it, I feel Ripped Off by the makers and the whole Industry really. Next time I'll wait for a Demo before I will ever buy another game. Expand
  43. RadT.
    Oct 31, 2008
    Reading the hype about Farcry2 makes one wonder if the "reputable" reviewers (Powerplay, PCGamer, IGN, Gametrailers) who rave about this game even know what they are talking about, or whether they owed UBIsoft some sort of favour. Clearly thise "professional" reviewers are not evaluating the game objectively --- and once again the aggregate of fan reviews speak the truth about the game. Reading the hype about Farcry2 makes one wonder if the "reputable" reviewers (Powerplay, PCGamer, IGN, Gametrailers) who rave about this game even know what they are talking about, or whether they owed UBIsoft some sort of favour. Clearly thise "professional" reviewers are not evaluating the game objectively --- and once again the aggregate of fan reviews speak the truth about the game. Let's go through this: - Pointless GPS System - Absurd Lighting Changes - Retarded AI - No stealth attacks - Stiff Animation, esp. animals - Slow controls - Repititive Gameplay - Cliched Story: Track the "The Jackal" - Cliched Music: Ooh, it's tribal chanting! How expected. - Cliched autonavigation intro that every FPS since Half-Life always seems to use... - Glowing Weapons and Ammo: Immersion please? - Console-Style save system - You spend more time driving than playing as a shooter - Inability to focus clearly on visual details while driving/being cabbed - Character Portraits copy each other in look and pose - No women in the Farcry2 Universe - Over-sensitized in-game mouse speed relative to the menu sensitivity - Overall Conceptual Ripoff of the film "Blood Diamond" - Not to mention SecuROM - I could go on, but why bother? On the plus side you get: - Sometimes stunning visuals. - Better Vehicle Control than the original FarCry. This game is fit with the same stuff Valusoft makes for 19.99, not as the "GAME OF THE YEAR" most "professional" reviewers make it out to be. Don't believe the hype. Expand
  44. TonyL
    Oct 1, 2009
    What a disappointment this was. I've never beaten it and don't even play it anymore, I just use it as a benchmark now. I got to 35% and thought it was going to get better but it didn't. We really got ripped off for such a hyped up game. This game shouldn't even be named "Far Cry" 2. Believe the users and avoid this game! Do not waste your money on this unless it's What a disappointment this was. I've never beaten it and don't even play it anymore, I just use it as a benchmark now. I got to 35% and thought it was going to get better but it didn't. We really got ripped off for such a hyped up game. This game shouldn't even be named "Far Cry" 2. Believe the users and avoid this game! Do not waste your money on this unless it's $9.99 I give the game a 2 just because the graphics are above decent and advanced benchmark. Everything else about it sucks. Expand
  45. NickS.
    Nov 2, 2008
    The only interesting thing about this game is how it managed to get so many good "professional" reviews. To begin with the game should not be called far cry 2 as it has ZERO to do with far cry. A cash in attempt. No need to discuss further. Just mindless running around, gfx boring and drab. console port.
  46. AlexejOvtcharenko
    Nov 20, 2008
    Good graphics, thats all. Story is most 5 points of 10, but the worst thing is that multiplayer does not work, you cant joint any online severs, ubisoft support just makes some strange sudgestions in 1 week now without any solution like to change region in windows to US. Well i played this game to play online and now i cant even join any servers. worst game ever, worst support ever.
  47. Joe
    Nov 1, 2009
    First of all, i totaly agree with the reviewer below that you should never trust ratings from any company,magazine etc. They get payed to give good ratings. The only thing decent (not great) about this game is the graphics. Everything else is utterly crap. The AI is one of the baddest AI i have encounterd in the last 8 years. The enemies are soo inmensely stupid. when your in crouch mode First of all, i totaly agree with the reviewer below that you should never trust ratings from any company,magazine etc. They get payed to give good ratings. The only thing decent (not great) about this game is the graphics. Everything else is utterly crap. The AI is one of the baddest AI i have encounterd in the last 8 years. The enemies are soo inmensely stupid. when your in crouch mode the enemy will stand next to you even though you are in the open without any cover. Jumping and climbing in the game is impossible. your character can't even jump over a wood log that is like 10 centimeters high. The missions are incredibily lame and repetitive. Almost all misions are either kill someone, blow up something or delever something. all missions takes place on the opposite side of the map wich makes it suck even more then it already does. Obviously the developers did that to stretch out the game. without that the game could be finished in about 20 hours. To go to a mission you have to drive to it. The car brakes down like a zillion times during the game...everytime you have to get out of the car and fix it...and then you can drive again.also every 10 minutes you have to take a malaria pill otherwise you have blured vision.Voice acting is also pretty awefull and the same goes for the whole thin story line.The weapons that are available for you are overpowered.Basicly you only have to use the grenade launcer and you can easely kill anyone that stands in your way.Well, i can go on and on about how bad this game is, but i wont. I gave it 2 stars for the graphics and the fact that it is a decent representation of how africa looks like. Other then that the game is crap. The developers of this game should be ashamed of them selfs. Do not buy this game. Expand
  48. MikeyJ
    Nov 5, 2009
    This game had lots of potential, but it clearly missed the mark, my guess from the lack of detail in some areas is that the game was unfinished to an extent, for example: a mission for a an NPC 'buddy' you can do involves killing a refinery guard that mugged him, and the target's character skin is an old european guy in a suit...wtf, im not kidding. theres more situations This game had lots of potential, but it clearly missed the mark, my guess from the lack of detail in some areas is that the game was unfinished to an extent, for example: a mission for a an NPC 'buddy' you can do involves killing a refinery guard that mugged him, and the target's character skin is an old european guy in a suit...wtf, im not kidding. theres more situations like that too throughout the game, most at least a bit less obvious though. the game most DEFINITELY was NOT tested for bugs, which made it nearly unplayable for 8 months before a patch came, and there is still a risk of crashes at some certain points in the game. if it were not for the crashes and other bugs the game would've been at least enjoyable to an extent, but theres alot of bad design choices ubisoft poured into the game too, movement and aiming at times feels stiff, and it gets no better when concerning transportation, as invisible walls keep you from entering interesting areas(mind this is supposed to be an 'open world' game) and the main roads are filled with patrols and guard posts that will slow progress drastically, and break flow of gameplay. The stealth system in the game is almost non-existant (enemies can see you 2 miles away hiding behind about a dozen trees). What really killed it for me though was the fact that enemies- even guys dressed in nothing but shorts and a ranger hat will take 15-30 rounds from a high powered automatic rifle to kill, slowing action and making it seem more like i was trying to kill a tank in each gunfight. i could go on about the issues this game has, repetitive misions, bad ending with player forced to do things contrary to the whole story's original purpose, no point to really visit alot of areas other than pick up a diamond or two, etc etc. ask almost anyone who owns this game what they think of it as a whole and i'll guarantee you they'll suggest it's tedious, miserable, and most deinitely not worth your money. i've lost all trust in ubisoft after they released this, the purpose of games is to entertain, i wasn't entertained, i ended up screaming at the TV and contempleting throwing the far cry 2 disc into my microwave. if you haven't bought this game yet already, then don't, its an abomination Expand
  49. ZeeKat
    Dec 20, 2009
    This game managed to put me off completely in a few hours. Game has looks, but instanly respawning enemies and magically appearing enemy jeeps are complete fun breakers. Hours of driving around and killing the same people all over again is no fun. Don't forget sophisticated storyline which basically means whole Africa wants to kill you on sight. I love the nonlinear gameplay and open This game managed to put me off completely in a few hours. Game has looks, but instanly respawning enemies and magically appearing enemy jeeps are complete fun breakers. Hours of driving around and killing the same people all over again is no fun. Don't forget sophisticated storyline which basically means whole Africa wants to kill you on sight. I love the nonlinear gameplay and open world, but this one sucks a lot. Far Cry brand should be left in Crytek's hands I guess. Expand
  50. Gavan
    Dec 8, 2009
    Its not a dire game so much as incredibly frustrating that so much that could have been there is just left out. And for no reason. How much effort would it have taken to have included a story, not even a good one, just any form. Or some characters. Or a few decent set pieces. The game amounts to driving (a lot) shooting some mercenaries and driving some more. repeat that for as long as it Its not a dire game so much as incredibly frustrating that so much that could have been there is just left out. And for no reason. How much effort would it have taken to have included a story, not even a good one, just any form. Or some characters. Or a few decent set pieces. The game amounts to driving (a lot) shooting some mercenaries and driving some more. repeat that for as long as it takes you to get bored. The critics reviews are a joke as almost all of them ignore the serious and deep flaws in the game. Very few balanced reviews to be found of this game. Expand
  51. TeeJay
    Sep 30, 2009
    Nonsensical story, annoying respawning checkpoints, game is not moddable, malaria is annoying, map obstucts screen, tiny viewable area when driving, enemy AI when in vehicles is idiotic, invisible walls on all hills, can only take on one mission at a time, game designers tried to milk mileage by assigning each mission at far side of map requiring endless drudgery getting there and back. Nonsensical story, annoying respawning checkpoints, game is not moddable, malaria is annoying, map obstucts screen, tiny viewable area when driving, enemy AI when in vehicles is idiotic, invisible walls on all hills, can only take on one mission at a time, game designers tried to milk mileage by assigning each mission at far side of map requiring endless drudgery getting there and back. Lack of anything interesting to find (information or objects) or much to explore. The good points are the graphics and the gun-play/shooting aspects, but the rest is so annoying that I had to stop playing after 20%. Very poor game. Expand
  52. DH
    Nov 11, 2009
    If I could only use one word to describe this game it would be "boring". I never finished it because it was so incredibly dull to play.. wait, no, a better word for this would be "repetitive" - which is the reason why it's boring (protip: a GAME should not be BORING). The AI is terrible, suicidal and detrimental to the experience - in a sandbox game, decent AI is an absolute If I could only use one word to describe this game it would be "boring". I never finished it because it was so incredibly dull to play.. wait, no, a better word for this would be "repetitive" - which is the reason why it's boring (protip: a GAME should not be BORING). The AI is terrible, suicidal and detrimental to the experience - in a sandbox game, decent AI is an absolute priority. I think this game is a good example of the problems the large majority of the gaming industry has in determining what makes a game good. It would seem that the developers threw all their creative efforts into making this game LOOK good, rather than PLAY good. I've also noticed what I believe to be Ubisoft's staff posting positive reviews under the users section; shame on you. Expand
  53. OL
    Sep 23, 2009
    I bought this game looking forward to having lots of fun, as every review I read online and on youtube gave it a thumbs up. I could not believe that they actually pretended the game had a storyline. I was in denial, because after spending 30 bucks getting the game I forced myself to like it, but other than the graphics, there is nothing to like. People on this game absorb lead, and I bought this game looking forward to having lots of fun, as every review I read online and on youtube gave it a thumbs up. I could not believe that they actually pretended the game had a storyline. I was in denial, because after spending 30 bucks getting the game I forced myself to like it, but other than the graphics, there is nothing to like. People on this game absorb lead, and headdshots are very rare.... No one did their research on gun calibres as a 9mm is weaker than a 5.56mm in this game.It is painfully repetitive, and I though someone must have made the ending as a joke. Someone at Ubisoft must be laughing about how they managed to trick thousands upon thousands of people into buying such glorified trash. I no longer trust any companies that review game, and shall stick to player reviews only. Save your money for a real, enjoyable game, as this will only dissappoint you. Expand
  54. Matt
    Nov 22, 2009
    1 for effort... or no effort. I certainly liked the feeling of hiding from enemies in the first far cry. You could stumble upon an enemy or intentionally, and then hide in a bush or whatever to allude them and then blow out their brains. You could lie down to get away from enemy fire. You could run farther and faster. There was a story line. There were real battles that varied. There was 1 for effort... or no effort. I certainly liked the feeling of hiding from enemies in the first far cry. You could stumble upon an enemy or intentionally, and then hide in a bush or whatever to allude them and then blow out their brains. You could lie down to get away from enemy fire. You could run farther and faster. There was a story line. There were real battles that varied. There was minimal time wasted driving around. There were no meaningless battles. Far Cry 2 is a 'far cry' from Far Cry 1. It screams for help everytime I play it. It just wants to be a real game... but I can't help it. It struggles to excite me and cannot. It moans in pain to be fun and yet cannot be. It needed more love as an infant. Someone just didn't have a college fund for this baby! I wanted so bad for it to play like they said it would, 'A real experience' they even said, 'As close to the real thing ever'.... Ever??? Nope. It's not really that close. I enjoyed the online play for a while, but then that was too repetative also. Its a game that could've gone far if the developers had spent a few more hours on it. I hope far cry 3 is better. Far Cry 1 was my favorite game, so I had high expectations for 2. What a let down. Paid near 60$ for the game. Bought a big pile of poop. So what is all this meaningless bable???? It's far cry 2! Expand
  55. Sep 29, 2010
    Far Cry 2 is an absolute disappointment to anyone and everyone. The entire game is tedious at best driving for 80% of the game only stopping to kill the odd generic henchmen with bad A.I, It has nothing to do with the original game at all. Ubisoft simply made this game to milk money from fans of the original game. This games not worth bothering with, save your money.
  56. Dec 3, 2012
    A title that unfortunely had a bit of a wild tango dance during the development face, not knowing whether it wants to be dumbed down for the masses or stay true to difficulty and we end up with this horibly spread-out hybrid between an MMORPG with infinite enemy spawns and an single-player RPG shooter. It's not realistic, It's not immersive and It certainly does not posess a quality enemyA title that unfortunely had a bit of a wild tango dance during the development face, not knowing whether it wants to be dumbed down for the masses or stay true to difficulty and we end up with this horibly spread-out hybrid between an MMORPG with infinite enemy spawns and an single-player RPG shooter. It's not realistic, It's not immersive and It certainly does not posess a quality enemy AI. Stay away from this one unless you can try it before purchase. Expand
  57. Jun 6, 2012
    1 Point for being original another for creatively controlling fire effects...but that's it. This game is mind numbingly boring. Second the "it's open ended" is complete garbage. If I take the left street to work, instead of the right, I'm still going to work. Furthermore the choices you make have ZERO impact on the extremely linear story. It doesn't matter if you save all of Africa, have a1 Point for being original another for creatively controlling fire effects...but that's it. This game is mind numbingly boring. Second the "it's open ended" is complete garbage. If I take the left street to work, instead of the right, I'm still going to work. Furthermore the choices you make have ZERO impact on the extremely linear story. It doesn't matter if you save all of Africa, have a trash can full of blood diamonds to share, or improved your "friendship" with someone to 99999, NONE OF IT MATTERS. The story writers should be ashamed! Finally, the mechanics are extremely poor. The same truck will come the same way every time. For some reason the armies build the same shacks back you JUST blew up 10 seconds ago if you venture to far out. This becomes EXTREMELY annoying as it's simply a grind of killing meaningless people. I have no clue how this game received an 85 rating. I doubt very seriously that the game reviewers actually finished the game. I did. And both endings sucked. 4.99 for this game is a rip off. Save your money. Expand
  58. Jul 17, 2012
    this game has good graphics visual, but sometimes that's not all that importa.é very repetitive, and go kill somebody and then people are there again, you lose a lot of time to walk hundreds of kilometers, and on arrival the target is to do the same thing as the other vezes.estou desapontado.desculpem errors, but I'm Portuguese
  59. FirstLast
    Dec 12, 2008
    This game is just plain awful. It's obvious what type of people they're trying to appeal to with the whole Grand Theft Auto aura of the game. I burst out laughing when I saw something along the lines of "You have gained X reputation points!" The fact that it is rated so highly goes to show how crooked the gaming industry has become. The average score is in the high 80's (to This game is just plain awful. It's obvious what type of people they're trying to appeal to with the whole Grand Theft Auto aura of the game. I burst out laughing when I saw something along the lines of "You have gained X reputation points!" The fact that it is rated so highly goes to show how crooked the gaming industry has become. The average score is in the high 80's (to give you an idea of how significant that is, Unreal Tournament 2003 has the same score), but the USER score is in the low 50's. Someone is getting paid to put pretty numbers on this crap. Either that, or the gaming industry has finally been rid of creative talent by this overly conservative trend in gaming (corporations avoiding risk, so the same ideas with slight modifications are recycled over and over). Expand
  60. Aug 17, 2010
    Everyone seems to be made of armor and stealthing is impossible at times. This would be fun if it had a working coop, but otherwise it's just too bland. So bland you can't even describe how bland and boring it is. This game falls under the "Could not finish because it was painful" list.
  61. Nov 28, 2010
    I tried hard to like this game. Very rarely do I not complete a game unless it is boring or repetitive. Unfortunately this game is both.

The game makes you travel between locations to achieve a mission update. So you will pass by checkpoints and strongholds numerous times in order to get to certain target zones. Here lies the problem... The way enemies respawn is distance based,

The way enemies respawn is distance based, not time-based- thus it is totally unrealistic, annoying, and multiplies the difficulty of the game. For example: you will approach many checkpoints in the game during your travels. You will see the enemies goofing off, tying their shoelaces or smoking a cig which apparently gives you the initial element of surprise. You attack the checkpoint, killing the first guy and INSTANTLY after that, the remaining enemies make the experience as difficult as they can for you. You take some damage, but kill every last enemy in the place with your machine gun. You just torched the cp with Molotov's and blew the place up with grenades. Now, if you leave the area and turn the corner, then suddenly realize you are heading the wrong direction and need to turn back... guess what? The enemies have come back to life. Even more unrealistic, they will be goofing off again, tying their shoelaces and smoking a cig. There will be no sign of your previous battle anywhere. You will have to fight them all over again in order to continue. How realistic is that? Respawns will occur and there is no limit. So if you take the same path from your mission giver, to the target zone, and back- you will engage every CP and roaming patrol along your path at least twice. They will be the same exact enemies again and again, tedious and boring. I've tried the stealth approach as well, by crouching and slowly advancing through bushes and stuff. It is so boring and sometimes a sniper starts shooting at you from hundreds of yards away so you take damage anyway. Some areas cannot be passed by using stealth, so you are forced to attack or take tons of damage.

It seems everything I did was absolutely useless and has no effect in the world. I almost got though act 1 in this game. But after killing the same guys in the same checkpoints 2, 3 times for each mission it became very mundane. It would not have been difficult to implement at least a 24-hour respawn timer but the developer didn't. I still remember how confused I was after completing the first mission. I had just wiped out an entire camp enemies about 8 guys, fought them tooth and nail for about 3, 4 minutes. I went back to the mission giver and completed the mission. I get the next target zone for my next mission, and realize after looking at the map, that the area I had just cleared was one of two potential paths to take even though it was a slightly longer distance. Since I had killed everyone earlier, I thought it wouldn't be a problem to take that path since it was safe. I didn't even get 10 feet into the camp before I was shredded by a hail of gunfire. Game over. That was my first impression of the game and it still is.
  62. Sep 1, 2011
    Its hard for a game to come by around me and get a 0 as I always look for the positive things in video games. Far Cry 2 is just... unacceptable. The first problem is the name. Do not be fooled, this is NOT Far Cry AT ALL. Far Cry 1 was Crytek's baby; a first person shooter centered around one guy who had his normal research out in the sea turn to **** when a group of mercenaries inhabitingIts hard for a game to come by around me and get a 0 as I always look for the positive things in video games. Far Cry 2 is just... unacceptable. The first problem is the name. Do not be fooled, this is NOT Far Cry AT ALL. Far Cry 1 was Crytek's baby; a first person shooter centered around one guy who had his normal research out in the sea turn to **** when a group of mercenaries inhabiting a nearby island blow up his boat. The premise was simple; a man wearing a bright red Hawaiian shirt is trying to escape, but finds out the secrets about the mutated creatures. The game featured an open environment for players to take different approaches in order to progress through each level. And with it, level design that actually created atmosphere, developed certain characters, manipulated the environment around you, the works. Far Cry 2 has none of that. Replace Jack Carver with a mute that has a Malaria and is out to find a weapons dealer. Mutants? What mutants? Character? Lol what character? It's sad because when starting the game you do have a set of different people to choose from, each with their own unique bio. But all that really means is that while playing, the your character's arms will be different. Any character you don't choose becomes an AI friend you can assign to help you out during combat later on. However, which ever one you choose will be mute and have malaria, even when the AI versions have voice actors and are perfectly healthy. What is the POINT? I'm trying to play a game, not manage a god damn illness. This game is just a simplistic shooter that hides itself under layers of complex illusions. The only bit of story and atmospheric build up is right in the beginning when you learn about rising tensions between two African factions that could cause a war any moment thanks to your cab driver. Then you get into town, your malaria bugs you and then you are given an introduction to our baddie. Then a war erupts in the town. After that... well there are no more civilians and not one friendly face. Instead, every single person you see is a member of one of the 2 factions. Which leads me to my biggest complaint: The missions. You can accept missions from both factions, but surprise surprise, you have no allies depending on the faction you are doing a job for. And its not a case of them cutting you some slack later on and saying, "Our boys won't do harm to you." No. Its every **** time. It really feels like Ubisoft was too lazy to code any friendly AI apart from the one "friend" you can select. Biggest complaint #2: Getting to your objectives. Far Cry 2 has no level design, and instead we get free roaming. What does that really mean? Drive from one area of the map to another. Although every inch of Africa can be explored, your vehicle obviously can't travel over a mountain or through trees. So you're stuck on the roads. But here's the worst part: EVERY BODY DESPISES YOU. At any given point while driving, you see a vehicle on the road, don't assume its a civilian. The only people that are driving are members of the 2 factions, and the minute they see you they will floor the gas and open fire on you. Why? Who cares! It wastes the player's time and gives them the sense the game is longer than what it really is right! This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that EVERYONE IS FASTER THAN YOU. That's right, you can't outrun them. While you're locked to a cruising speed, enemies in a damn flat bed truck can drive faster than you. So its really 1-2 minutes of driving, 3-4 minutes trying to save yourself from being killed and searching for a new vehicle. Wash, rinse, repeat. And it traps you into thinking check points are safe where you can pull up and show ID to the people. But no, checkpoints = 6 men stationed there are ready to kick your ass. And while you may have cleared that checkpoint or area full of enemies, guess what? They respawn back there again. Its padding, and its obvious. The worst part... the level design, or should I say the lack there of. Every mission in the game is just driving to a certain location, killing a bunch of randomly placed NPCs and then driving on back (while still being shot at by cars and checkpoints). That's it, nothing more. Far Cry 2 does offer side objectives you can accomplish in order to unlock new weapons and stuff of that sort.... but let me give you a little run down of the gun merchant side quest. Every merchant will offer a new weapon if you can stop this convoy that's transporting guns. Ok, sounds cool, some actual mission design perhaps? But no. Instead, you get a line of 3 trucks that just drive around IN A GOD DAMN CIRCLE ENDLESSLY UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY STOP IT. This game is so basic, its disgusting. The graphics are the only decent thing about this game, and some cool aesthetics such as over 100 different animations for fixing yourself from bleeding out on the last segment of your health bar. Shallow, do not buy. Expand
  63. ConalM-D
    Jan 20, 2009
    After playing FC2 for a couple of days I searched for other gamers opinions on a game which I was still in denial about. The first 5 minutes gave me a giddy rush of excitement as your character is driven through the war-torn country and all you can do is admire your surroundings...from here it all goes downhill! All my problems have already been raised by others however I played it on 360 After playing FC2 for a couple of days I searched for other gamers opinions on a game which I was still in denial about. The first 5 minutes gave me a giddy rush of excitement as your character is driven through the war-torn country and all you can do is admire your surroundings...from here it all goes downhill! All my problems have already been raised by others however I played it on 360 but must comment on this page to tell all you PC gamers that the game is equally as bad on consoles. After previously buying all my games on my PC, I know how frustrating a console port can be but in this case it's not that it's a bad port but put simply, it's just a terrible game. Expand
  64. ACCol
    Nov 6, 2008
    This game gets a 3 for graphics the intro and advertising....THATS IT! This game is worse then Super Mario Bros. 3. It's GTA 2 rehashed with better graphics except you only get Jeeps and Pintos as your vehicles of choice. The weapons are fun for a while but blow up in your hands while you are killing your thousandth mercenary. The quests suck and are completely unimaginative. TheThis game gets a 3 for graphics the intro and advertising....THATS IT! This game is worse then Super Mario Bros. 3. It's GTA 2 rehashed with better graphics except you only get Jeeps and Pintos as your vehicles of choice. The weapons are fun for a while but blow up in your hands while you are killing your thousandth mercenary. The quests suck and are completely unimaginative. The story sucks because it's completely unengaging...not worth suffering of hours and hours of boredom and repetition to actually see what happens. The characters seemed cool at first but then they end up falling into the 'repetitive' category. THIS GAME IS SIMPLY A 'SEQUEL' MEANT TO FLEECE FPS JUNKIES OF CASH AND LAUGH IN YOUR FACE WHILE UBISOFT RAKES IT IN. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE! DON'T LET UBISOFT MAKE YOU THEIR BITCH! Expand
  65. PeteR.
    Oct 29, 2008
    This is the most overrated game of the year. When / If UBI wonder why PC game sales are so low, they should ask themselves (hint: not because of piracy). To UBI: PC gamers don't want dumbed down, repetitive simpletons. This "game" has no story, no logic, advertised civil war doesn't exist in game (and you're the most hated person in Africa for no apparent reason). Dumbed This is the most overrated game of the year. When / If UBI wonder why PC game sales are so low, they should ask themselves (hint: not because of piracy). To UBI: PC gamers don't want dumbed down, repetitive simpletons. This "game" has no story, no logic, advertised civil war doesn't exist in game (and you're the most hated person in Africa for no apparent reason). Dumbed down console controls and restrictive DRM turning people to piracy on top of everything. This game is not worth wasting bandwidth on downloading, not mentioning buying this crap. I could go on a lot of what's wrong with it, but PC owners that commented 6 or less, already listed most of it. Far Crap 2 ? Rather GTA: Kongo. Expand
  66. dylanu
    Oct 30, 2008
    My 4 outof 10 is for visual only, People that say this game is good either have not played it or like driving for to long and shooting check points. The aiming system is shit the ai is useless its a first person shooter not lets wander around look at the sights shoot someone the come back past and they are back what a waste of money and time.
  67. RayM
    Jan 4, 2009
    HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Missions are boring and repetitve. The personal gun storage is stupid (pick a gun off its rack on the wall and another magically appears in its place). The whole game is unrealistic, the AI is mediocre, every single person you see instantly goes berserk trying to kill you, everything is NOT destructible (only about half the trees are, and there are still some smallish HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. Missions are boring and repetitve. The personal gun storage is stupid (pick a gun off its rack on the wall and another magically appears in its place). The whole game is unrealistic, the AI is mediocre, every single person you see instantly goes berserk trying to kill you, everything is NOT destructible (only about half the trees are, and there are still some smallish trees that will bring a fast moving jeep to a sudden stop). Open world was a horrible choice, and the main plot is retarded. The only thing this game is good for is for a quick 30 minutes of stress relief consisting of driving around running people over, which by far is the most efficient way to kill (and fortunately these African rebels are somehow all equipped with military jeeps with unlimited ammo for the mounted gun). The fire is neato at first, but it burns out too quickly - they just didn't go far enough with this game. I don't know why they called it Far Cry -- it has nothing whatsoever to do with the original, which, despite corny plot and voice acting, was a masterpiece compared to this piece of s***. Also, I think it was a huge mistake to go for the M rating on this game - it appeals to the 10-12 yo demographic. My 12 year old brother loved it! If you are looking for an open world game with great AI, try STALKER or STALKER Clear Sky (be sure to quick-save, because you don't have a "buddy" to wipe your @$$ in STALKER). Wait til FarCry2 goes on sale for $10 before you waste your money. It's funny how the average user score is like 50% versus the metascore of 86 -- obviously a sign that for-pay video game critics are too afraid to offend a sponsor/advertiser to give an honest review. Expand
  68. ChrisD
    Apr 13, 2009
    How the hell did this game get a good review? Here
  69. PhilipH.
    Nov 2, 2008
    Very disappointing and very overrated game. Expected great things based on professional reviews and while the visuals can be stunning at times, game play is unimaginative and repititive not a patch of Crysis or Call of Duty 4. The poor AI makes the gaming experience feel 5 years old. Strange how gushing the professional critics where about the game. Must have been some launch party!! :-0 Very disappointing and very overrated game. Expected great things based on professional reviews and while the visuals can be stunning at times, game play is unimaginative and repititive not a patch of Crysis or Call of Duty 4. The poor AI makes the gaming experience feel 5 years old. Strange how gushing the professional critics where about the game. Must have been some launch party!! :-0 It gets 3 for visuals and 0 for everything else. Expand
  70. MillerT
    Nov 6, 2008
    Boring. Repetitive. Overrated. Fun for the first 20 mins, until you realise youll be criss crossing the map in a crappy jeep for the next 50 hours (if you bother to play it longer than an hour). As overhyped as Assassins Creed.
  71. elButoLoco
    Nov 8, 2008
    First, let me say I have not played Far Cry (the original) but I have played Crysis & Crysis Warhead. I will admit that a comparison between the Far Cry series and Crysis is not a legitimate comparison since Crysis is by far a much more detailed and different strategy type game. You can liken this game to the whole sand box type games like GTA series. There are main quests to complete but First, let me say I have not played Far Cry (the original) but I have played Crysis & Crysis Warhead. I will admit that a comparison between the Far Cry series and Crysis is not a legitimate comparison since Crysis is by far a much more detailed and different strategy type game. You can liken this game to the whole sand box type games like GTA series. There are main quests to complete but many side quests to gain extra money, better weapons, vehicles, etc. That being said, this game is an overwhelming disappointment. For all the hype about choosing your method of approach or attack, it amounts to nothing. So what if you can burn anything and an explosion will attract enemies to one location, it doesn't matter when you are fighting the same respawned enemies hundreds of times because you are crossing the same guard post area to get to a different part of the map. Graphics for environments look really good but that doesn't make a game. I have never been one to really care about a storyline and good thing too because this one is horrible. As for kills, I am playing at the next to highest difficulty and the only gun I find worth it to kill enemies is the sniper rifle. The autmoatics are worthless since it requires one full clip per enemy (although there are many to choose from). Enemy AI is variable. Some have marksman type shooting when they fire at you with a SMG from across the map but you couldn't do the same if you tried. AI in others is almost nonexistent as I have had enemies literally run up beside me and look around for me while I just turn and empty a bullet into their head point blank. There is no explanation of what upgrades do, what new weapons offer, or why I should buy a damn vehicle manual when I can still repair the shot up cars myself! The point, save your money, this is a boringly repetitive game that I find myself playing to pass the time until L4D comes out. You can save $50 and just spend it on L4D instead. Expand
  72. MikoS.
    Oct 22, 2008
    The embodiment of mediocrity. While the graphics are spectacular and the world immersive, the actual gameplay consists of driving from A to B, stopping at C, D, and E to take out groups of generic enemies. Once at your destination, you take out another group of generic enemies. Rinse, repeat. Not only does the game consist almost solely of having your travel interrupted by random enemies, The embodiment of mediocrity. While the graphics are spectacular and the world immersive, the actual gameplay consists of driving from A to B, stopping at C, D, and E to take out groups of generic enemies. Once at your destination, you take out another group of generic enemies. Rinse, repeat. Not only does the game consist almost solely of having your travel interrupted by random enemies, but the combat itself somehow manages to avoid excitement and fun in favor of frustration and boredom. Just like Far Cry and Crysis, Far Cry 2 is a dull, generic shooter with pretty graphics and a gimmick. Not worth your money at the moment, although if you're bored in 2010 it may be worth $10 at the bargain bin. Expand
  73. mattok
    Oct 24, 2008
    i really can't put my finger on it entirely...something about it just feels cheap. the movement feels extremely awkward, running in particular is pretty crappy as you can't strafe at the same time. no prone? what's up with that? i also don't feel the guns look or feel all that great. a lot of the features that looked cool in preview videos are in reality annoyingi really can't put my finger on it entirely...something about it just feels cheap. the movement feels extremely awkward, running in particular is pretty crappy as you can't strafe at the same time. no prone? what's up with that? i also don't feel the guns look or feel all that great. a lot of the features that looked cool in preview videos are in reality annoying (car repair,guns jamming) but the malaria thing is actually pretty awesome....just kidding,it's also really annoying. i applaud ubisoft's ambition with this but it ultimately falls flat and is no comparison in quality to anything that crytek or valve puts out. Expand
  74. CseeVP
    Oct 24, 2008
    It sucks like hell, waste of money... It's just a 'wanna-be' GTA game. But it's in the jungle... The map is huge, and you get shot every 5 seconds... then you have to repair your car... it's almost the only thing you have to do. Like in GTA you go to a point to start a mission and the complete it. But here every mission contains: Get something from somewhere on It sucks like hell, waste of money... It's just a 'wanna-be' GTA game. But it's in the jungle... The map is huge, and you get shot every 5 seconds... then you have to repair your car... it's almost the only thing you have to do. Like in GTA you go to a point to start a mission and the complete it. But here every mission contains: Get something from somewhere on the other side of the world and bring it back... I give it 1 for bringing it out but for nothing else. Expand
  75. MarkJ.
    Oct 24, 2008
    I cannot understand why so many notable sources give Far Cry 2 such decent reviews. Do these people have such horribly low standards or equipment that this game seems good? This is probably the case. People that are used to sub-standard performance and quality, review games, and do not take into consideration the variables that encompass PC core components. I own above average parts I cannot understand why so many notable sources give Far Cry 2 such decent reviews. Do these people have such horribly low standards or equipment that this game seems good? This is probably the case. People that are used to sub-standard performance and quality, review games, and do not take into consideration the variables that encompass PC core components. I own above average parts including an EVGA 9800 GX2 SSC graphics card. I also happen to be born right before the PC gaming industry began, therefore I can say with a decent amount of accuracy that Far Cry 2 is a below average game with what some would say is above average graphics. I can't wait to see the Zero Punctuation review, it may be the only realistic one. Expand
  76. DaveN
    Oct 24, 2008
    Never have I felt so disappointed by a game that was built up to be great by the manufacturer . The general Far Cry community are up in arms over how they've been duped into spending their hard earned cash by the false advertising of the game . I'm not sure how the critics can praise this game , or even if they have actually played it , as if they have , they would realize that Never have I felt so disappointed by a game that was built up to be great by the manufacturer . The general Far Cry community are up in arms over how they've been duped into spending their hard earned cash by the false advertising of the game . I'm not sure how the critics can praise this game , or even if they have actually played it , as if they have , they would realize that it is simply awful . Enemies respawning , sickness that prevents you from exploring the so called ' vast 50km environment ' which is basically UBI's way of of covering up a huge misrepresentation regarding the freedom of the FC2 world . Repetitive gameplay , no straife ability whilst sprinting , DRM issues , bugs , and what happened to a destructive environment ? Graphics are boring at best , and cheap at worst , and every good thing that was in FC 1 has been removed , and replaced with nothing . Basically a console game that has been sold to PC gamers with lies and false promises . Multiplayer is a joke , from not being able to join servers that have started a match , to stupid tags above every player .... even the enemy . WTF ? At least Okidoki can have a holiday now . Sorry for sounding negative , but this game is simply appalling . Just read the UBI forums to see how disgruntled the community are , and you'll see I'm telling the truth . Did the above critics get free holidays for their reviews , because they certainly can't have played the game . Total rubbish ! Expand
  77. MilesF.
    Oct 24, 2008
    This game struggles to be the new top of the line free roaming shooter. The problem is: The free world is dead. Very few animals, no civilians, and the predominant color is brown. Most of the time you are killing fast respawning enemies, and follow boring and repeating missions to gain access to better weapons. The problem is: Even if you are underway to complete a mission for party A This game struggles to be the new top of the line free roaming shooter. The problem is: The free world is dead. Very few animals, no civilians, and the predominant color is brown. Most of the time you are killing fast respawning enemies, and follow boring and repeating missions to gain access to better weapons. The problem is: Even if you are underway to complete a mission for party A their goons fire at you on sight. Everyone fires at you in sight. Come on, thats just stupid! Also negative are the loooong travels.For every 2min of action, you have to rtravel 10min. Every checkpoint is filled with enemies who respawn after 2min. At first, you can circumvent those checkpoints, but in Act 2 you can't anymore, because the area is packed with them. All in all, FC2 is just a open map, with some respawning points, no real story, and no life in it self. Boring boring boring! Expand
  78. TrevorM.
    Oct 27, 2008
    I've been playing First Person Shooter since the original Wolfenstein shareware came out. There have been few, if any, FPS games that I haven't owned on PC and Xbox / Xbox 360. I'm a huge fan of both the original FarCry for PC, as well as the Xbox version. The two original games differ greatly, but each stands on its own for different reasons. Needless to say I
  79. lizard
    Oct 29, 2008
    Dumbed down and drab, Far Cry 2 plays like a shallow console port, there's nothing to grip or immerse the player, the whole thing boils down to a bunch of pointless shootouts with some really stupid AI and some driving through bland unremarkable terrain. Half the game's budget must have gone on paying reviewers to lie.
  80. AnonymousMC
    Oct 30, 2008
    I ordered this game from Steam based on PCZones review (90%? Jon Blyth, what were you thinking!?) and all I got out of it was an overwhelming sense that I'd been completely had. The main missions are poor, the scripting is stupid and hilariously hard to understand (youhavetogoblowthisupokayheresthefilegoodluck!) the main story, as simple as it is, is non-existent through most of theI ordered this game from Steam based on PCZones review (90%? Jon Blyth, what were you thinking!?) and all I got out of it was an overwhelming sense that I'd been completely had. The main missions are poor, the scripting is stupid and hilariously hard to understand (youhavetogoblowthisupokayheresthefilegoodluck!) the main story, as simple as it is, is non-existent through most of the game, the side missions are just as dull (kill x, destroy x, talk to x repeated over and over again) and the AI and constant respawing checkpoints/patrols only succeed in annoying the already bored player. The only decent things I can say about it is that it Expand
  81. ScottD
    Oct 30, 2008
    If you were hoping for something that would be similar in game play to Crysis or CoD4 or really any other great FPS, this isn't it. I thought the open map would be awesome. First thing you notice is the field of vision is "off". It's not at the right depth of field for a PC shooter and anyone used to PC shooters knows what I mean. I think it has something to do with them using If you were hoping for something that would be similar in game play to Crysis or CoD4 or really any other great FPS, this isn't it. I thought the open map would be awesome. First thing you notice is the field of vision is "off". It's not at the right depth of field for a PC shooter and anyone used to PC shooters knows what I mean. I think it has something to do with them using the same field of view you'd have on X-Box. Anyway, the gameplay is terrible. As a FPS game player, I want to get in, get my kicks and get out. I want to get right into the action. This game prevents that kind of visceral action at every turn. You'll be keeling over from malaria and be respawning back at your hut every 10 minutes. When not passing out from malaria, you'll be driving and driving through jungles. It gets tired after about the 10th time you've done that. As for its shooter merits... it's way way off. The guns just don't quite feel right; the people you're shooting at seem obliquely misaligned in your field of view, so you always feel like you're leaning over while you shoot or something... it's just some sort of bad depth perception that is part of the PC version. It's too bad. I had such high hopes for this game. The original Far Cry is 10x better. This doesn't come near Crysis or CoD4... nowhere near. If these games are 9's then this game is a dismal 1 or 2. My wife got it for me for my birthday and I told her that it was the worst game I've ever played. She said to sell it on Ebay and I think I might. And I am really not over-dramatizing this. I really don't think I am. Just read the 'non-paid for' reviews! Biggest disappointment I've had in pc gaming. Anyone want to buy mine? Expand
  82. JerryS
    Jan 5, 2009
    This game wastes your time by making you drive back and forth in your jeep and clearing the same outpost you cleared 5 minutes ago. It purposely tried to make the game repetitive and long. By "open ended game" they mean very repetitive. It's a shame too because the scenery, the engine, the gameplay could have been really well used to make a fun FPS and multiplayer. Could is the key This game wastes your time by making you drive back and forth in your jeep and clearing the same outpost you cleared 5 minutes ago. It purposely tried to make the game repetitive and long. By "open ended game" they mean very repetitive. It's a shame too because the scenery, the engine, the gameplay could have been really well used to make a fun FPS and multiplayer. Could is the key word. I give it a 1 for trying. The user score here of 5.6 is based on 460 votes so its got some weight to it. If you look at this game for the xbox or ps3, you'll see higher user scores, but those are based only a small amount of users. This game is a 2 at best. Nice try, but definitely no cigar. Expand
  83. RobertB
    Mar 29, 2009
    Disappointing, even with the 50% off sale on Steam. The single player game is bugged in several places resulting in not being able to run or fire the weapon. Lots of grumbles about this in the Ubisoft forum. Multiplayer has no game browser, no dedicated servers, and I've been disconnected multiple times and lost the unlocked weapons I've achieved. Ubisoft should have ditched the Disappointing, even with the 50% off sale on Steam. The single player game is bugged in several places resulting in not being able to run or fire the weapon. Lots of grumbles about this in the Ubisoft forum. Multiplayer has no game browser, no dedicated servers, and I've been disconnected multiple times and lost the unlocked weapons I've achieved. Ubisoft should have ditched the single player game and polished the MP aspect of it. Expand
  84. LukeS.
    Nov 12, 2008
    I'll give you the awesome graphics, but what game isn't doing that today? The spreading of the fire was pretty cool as well. Other than that; this is one of the worst games I've played in awhile. If I could return it to get my money back I would. You need a better storyline with more involved side quests. The enemy AI was horrible. I didn't even get online or finish I'll give you the awesome graphics, but what game isn't doing that today? The spreading of the fire was pretty cool as well. Other than that; this is one of the worst games I've played in awhile. If I could return it to get my money back I would. You need a better storyline with more involved side quests. The enemy AI was horrible. I didn't even get online or finish the game. After about 6-8hrs I couldn't take any more of the repetition. Expand
  85. AaronL.
    Nov 10, 2008
    You drive for 10 minutes to a place, kill someone under 2 minutes, drive 10 minutes back. Resupply, speak to some npc with bad voice acting, get in a car, and repeat. Do this routine for about 60 times then you've completed the game. EXCELLENT. The most over hyped game of the year, and possibly the worst I've played out of all of them. The best part of the game was in the first You drive for 10 minutes to a place, kill someone under 2 minutes, drive 10 minutes back. Resupply, speak to some npc with bad voice acting, get in a car, and repeat. Do this routine for about 60 times then you've completed the game. EXCELLENT. The most over hyped game of the year, and possibly the worst I've played out of all of them. The best part of the game was in the first few minutes, before you even take control over your character, while you're on a car driven by a guide through the wilderness and villages. It was the time when I thought "oh wow this game seems to be really amazing", and the only time. It's more repetitive than the other overly hyped bad games such as GTA4 and Assassin's Creed, and that's saying alot. Whatever decisions you make don't make any differences, your "buddies" are nothing more than a name on the screen and different model with bad voice "acting". I'm giving it a 3 because there are a few innovative features such as fire propagation and the whole "immersion" idea, the game felt more like a ridiculously long and boring tech demo. Don't even begin to compare this game with Crysis, I rated Crysis 6 for being an intense shooter, amazing graphics, and some form of storyline. This game fails to deliver any of that, which is already the new low for how games should be rated. Jees, last time I completed an fps without having to think "oh god I have to finish it or I'll feel like I've wasted my money" was probably Bioshock and Half life 2 (and not the extended rip off ones). What's happening with the fps game developers these days... If you have to choose between Fallout3, FarCry2 and Stalker:ClearSky, whatever you choose, stay as far away from this piece of moneymaking junk as possible. Expand
  86. NH.
    Nov 2, 2008
    Why did I buy this game, it wasn't worth the money. You would think they would have improved on Far Cry 1, but no they took a serious jump backwards. Boring, bad graphics, the game has no soul. Whats good about the game? the name is good Whats bad? the fact that they have destroyed an amazing first game reputuation and made such rubbish. Look read the other user comments for Why did I buy this game, it wasn't worth the money. You would think they would have improved on Far Cry 1, but no they took a serious jump backwards. Boring, bad graphics, the game has no soul. Whats good about the game? the name is good Whats bad? the fact that they have destroyed an amazing first game reputuation and made such rubbish. Look read the other user comments for everyting that is wrong with the game, because they are all true. I'm too angry to run through all the wrongs and I can't believe I bought the game. The only reason I gave it a 2 rating was because of the 1st game!!! Expand
  87. RasmusT
    Nov 4, 2008
    Repetition, repetition, repetition. Perhaps one of the most boring games I've played as of late; the AI is horrid: you can kill some dude with a sniper rifle some ~100^99 miles away and his companions still spot you in a matter of milliseconds - through the trees/behind treetrunks. Getting to point B from point A takes ages - because at every intersection (and trust me, there are a Repetition, repetition, repetition. Perhaps one of the most boring games I've played as of late; the AI is horrid: you can kill some dude with a sniper rifle some ~100^99 miles away and his companions still spot you in a matter of milliseconds - through the trees/behind treetrunks. Getting to point B from point A takes ages - because at every intersection (and trust me, there are a lot of intersections), there's a camp full of mindless morons who'll start shooting at you with 99% accuracy, and if that's not enough to stop the car you're in, they'll instantly get inside their own jeeps with that annoying mounted machinegun and follow you to the end of the world, or until you're furious enough to stop your car, wait for them to get around the trees/stones/signs they constantly crash into, and empty an entire mag in their guts before you shut the game down. Hearing the NPC's shout "Argh! The bastard shot me!" after you've emptied an entire mag on them with 5 seconds between every bullet cracks me up though. Expand
  88. MacStout
    Nov 5, 2008
    Disappointed ! 2 for the graphics but otherwise the game is really boring, stupid missions go from A to B (B is always on the other side of the map), you just kill again and again the same guys, you destroy again and again the same enemy cars on the way. Frankly speaking nothing to compare with Far Cry. No doubt that reviewer in magazines have been bribed.
  89. PlumberJoe
    Nov 7, 2008
    Loved the original Far Cry. This is not Far Cry version 2. It's an interactive game engine demo, not a game. Combat is unrealistic, AI is unrealistic, view of field is odd, you do not feel same scale as the environment, character animation is clunky, story is irrelevant, sounds are weak, weapons unrealistic and weak, controls feel clumsy and jerky with no feel of gravity, repetition, Loved the original Far Cry. This is not Far Cry version 2. It's an interactive game engine demo, not a game. Combat is unrealistic, AI is unrealistic, view of field is odd, you do not feel same scale as the environment, character animation is clunky, story is irrelevant, sounds are weak, weapons unrealistic and weak, controls feel clumsy and jerky with no feel of gravity, repetition, repetition, repetition. Did I say: repetition! I don't even want to finish this game. How can I get my money back from Steam? PC players: STAY AWAY. Expand
  90. DB
    Dec 13, 2008
    Wow, I installed this game 2 hours ago, played it one hour , shook my had and checked the web for reviews if this is only me or if the game is really that bad. Now I read all the bad stuff here and I know the story. I had high expectations on this game since Far Cry was BY FAR my favourite FPS I ever played. This game is totally rubbish and I can't believe this is sold really as Far Wow, I installed this game 2 hours ago, played it one hour , shook my had and checked the web for reviews if this is only me or if the game is really that bad. Now I read all the bad stuff here and I know the story. I had high expectations on this game since Far Cry was BY FAR my favourite FPS I ever played. This game is totally rubbish and I can't believe this is sold really as Far Cry2. Gonna delete it now and never touch it again. A 0 is a bit harsh rating, it should be around 3-4 , but this rip off deserves nothing better. Expand
  91. ShoebB
    Dec 25, 2008
    I will give it 3 and its just for the graphics, The story did not impress me at all, i felt no mission was challenging enough, there were not enough surprise points just the one at last when buddies fight me.The AI acts stupid at times, they fight like cowards, for instance i had to unlock an underground location and one of the guys was hiding and it was really difficult to find him to I will give it 3 and its just for the graphics, The story did not impress me at all, i felt no mission was challenging enough, there were not enough surprise points just the one at last when buddies fight me.The AI acts stupid at times, they fight like cowards, for instance i had to unlock an underground location and one of the guys was hiding and it was really difficult to find him to unlock the underground location. What i missed in farcry2 that i liked in farcry.. i missed the Binoculars.. i missed the choppers trying to gun me down.. i missed the fighting between the monsters.. i missed those cut scenes.. :-( I am verry sorry to say but i really missed that ACTION which i had experienced in farcry. Expand
  92. Daiteechu
    Oct 24, 2008
    What can i say except..... BORING! scenery looks nice, but graphically, apart from the fire (which is probably the best looking thing in the game) no better than Crysis or COD4. Story is boring, characters are boring, missions are boring, travel is boring, even the combat is boring and repetitive. after so much wait and anticipation I'm sorry to say i am very disappointed.
  93. OhYeah
    Oct 25, 2008
    I do not know what goes on in the minds of people who gave this game a positive score. Maybe they are console players and they've never played a decent game in their life. Maybe they have several blood clots in their brain and have lost the power of higher reasoning. Maybe both. This game is terrible. And what's really sad is that it took me only 10 minutes to realize this, I do not know what goes on in the minds of people who gave this game a positive score. Maybe they are console players and they've never played a decent game in their life. Maybe they have several blood clots in their brain and have lost the power of higher reasoning. Maybe both. This game is terrible. And what's really sad is that it took me only 10 minutes to realize this, without reading all the other negative comments. The visuals are "okay" at best. They are definitely not as immersive as Crysis for example. I'd even go as far as to say Far Cry 1 felt more tropical then Far Cry 2 feels african. Everything looks brown, its' hard to make out where one thing begins and the other ends. Moving around in the game feels like you're drunk, on drugs and have several vital limbs missing. The moral? Don't but a shooter unless it's coming from id, valve or perhaps crytek. The rest don't have a clue how to make a good shooter. Expand
  94. JA_
    Oct 25, 2008
    Ugh. Combat is clunky and frustrating, unarmored enemies can take half a rifle clip to the torso and keep fighting, vehicles handle very unrealistically and are far too fragile, the much-touted vast open world just makes travel from place to place tedious and dull, enemies respawn endlessly which is intensely annoying, and almost everyone in the entire world will attempt to kill you on Ugh. Combat is clunky and frustrating, unarmored enemies can take half a rifle clip to the torso and keep fighting, vehicles handle very unrealistically and are far too fragile, the much-touted vast open world just makes travel from place to place tedious and dull, enemies respawn endlessly which is intensely annoying, and almost everyone in the entire world will attempt to kill you on sight for no reason that is ever made clear. It looks good, but not great, and certainly not good enough to mitigate the actual gameplay. All in all a very big disappointment. How it scored so highly in so many reviews is totally beyond me. Expand
    Oct 25, 2008
    A terrible game. I don't understand how anyone can think driving a car for 20 minutes is called "Fun". The game is very realistic but that doesn't mean it's fun! We already have something realistic it's called "Real Life" The enemies drops dead when you shoot them but then they come back up later which is really annoying. Like driving a car for a long time isn't A terrible game. I don't understand how anyone can think driving a car for 20 minutes is called "Fun". The game is very realistic but that doesn't mean it's fun! We already have something realistic it's called "Real Life" The enemies drops dead when you shoot them but then they come back up later which is really annoying. Like driving a car for a long time isn't annoying enough, you will have enemies chasing you all the time. The only positive i can say about this game is the graphics and the map editor. Those who gives this game a high score must have a really bad taste in game or they have been payed off by Ubisoft to make their game look good. Expand
  96. OneShot
    Oct 26, 2008
    Guys...I was bought into the hype on this game...please by whatever means do not BUY this game. I couldn't even finish it..i just quit. This has to be the worst console port to PC I have ever witnessed. Just another Ubisoft game like Assassins Creed. The multiplayer...oh goodness...almost in the year 2009 with many great games out and they release a multiplayer like THAT for PC? Guys...I was bought into the hype on this game...please by whatever means do not BUY this game. I couldn't even finish it..i just quit. This has to be the worst console port to PC I have ever witnessed. Just another Ubisoft game like Assassins Creed. The multiplayer...oh goodness...almost in the year 2009 with many great games out and they release a multiplayer like THAT for PC? Guards respawn...you can't lean left or right..you can't prone...cars break down easy...enemies take too many shots to kill...there is almost nothing in the environment that is destructible (just some boards...and on special certain trees you can shoot the branches off of it)...missions are repetitive...I honestly think that compared to what this game was supposed to be the final product deserves a 0. We need to bounce back at Ubisoft and stop buying these games of theirs. Expand
  97. MichalS.
    Oct 26, 2008
    This is a terrible game. It joins the hall of shame of hasted console ports along with titles like Bioshock, Oblivion or DeusEx:IW (among many others). Issues are many - from purely technical limitations (inherited from console hardware) to dumbed down gameplay (inherited from consoles' target audience). A short list of some of them: - mouse sens/accel mess - fov problems - oversized This is a terrible game. It joins the hall of shame of hasted console ports along with titles like Bioshock, Oblivion or DeusEx:IW (among many others). Issues are many - from purely technical limitations (inherited from console hardware) to dumbed down gameplay (inherited from consoles' target audience). A short list of some of them: - mouse sens/accel mess - fov problems - oversized consolish menus - crippled controls - no leaning, no proning, no burst/single fire changing - among other things - no sound settings - barely any destructible environment - "big 50km2 world" made into a maze of between-cliffs corridors you could render a cave top instead of the sky, and call it FarCry: Descent Into Undermountain - AI leaving a lot to be desired (on "infamous" level at least) - /absolutely/ everybody hates you ! friendlies ? neutral villages ? maybe with some tasks to do ? forget it ... - everything respawns ! damn quickly at that, so you better be quick while doing missions, if you don't want enemies you just killed shooting at your ass - handholding (average console Joe can't feel lost after all) - weapon carrying capacity limited to 1 per class (instead of weight or some generic cap) - so forget about bringing assault and sniper at the same time - unified ammo per class (DX:IW anyone ?) - once you buy something, unlimited amounts for free await for you ! yay (for console Joe at least) ! - world doesn't change - whatever you do, how many missions you did, for whom - everything remains exactly the same + ridiculous DRM on top of everything That's by no means a complete list. Check out UBI forums for locked threads (mods started big damage control recently). Sorry, but this game is an overhyped (by "major" offline / online magazines) ripoff. And sadly adheres to a "standard" PC games have become over last years. And you know what the most sad and ironic part is ? - omg, Far Cry 2 didn't sell as we expected, it's all pirates' fault ! - but ... we delivered subaverage, overhyped, poor console excuse of a game - isn't that the main issue ? - sacrilege ! It's all because of those filthy thieves I tell you ! Next time we implement DRM requiring fingerprints and retina scans - that will show them ! - ... I can bet my head that in case of such scenario - pirates will be the excuse of everything. I guess it's time to look to indie games for good. Expand
  98. PsymnP.
    Oct 27, 2008
    I'm just commenting before i ready anyone elses thoughts. I am so depressed that Far Cry 2 must have been soley developed with console in mind. I feel like ive been cheated out of £27 by obviously bias reviews. this game is less ambitious than the first Farcry, the scenery looks like it was modelled by chimps with a boulder fettish and the malaria angle is just like... wtf. I'm just commenting before i ready anyone elses thoughts. I am so depressed that Far Cry 2 must have been soley developed with console in mind. I feel like ive been cheated out of £27 by obviously bias reviews. this game is less ambitious than the first Farcry, the scenery looks like it was modelled by chimps with a boulder fettish and the malaria angle is just like... wtf. Graphics are NO WAY NEAR crysis, which i would let slide if it ran better, but on my system it runs about the same as crysis (30fps all max 720p). No thought went into this game beyond how much a console can cope with. I feel like Stan and Kyle did about Indiana Jones :,( Expand
  99. Tomcat
    Oct 27, 2008
    FC2 gameplay sucks. This is a technical showcase, perhaps a demonstration of games to come. But this game don't play. BORING AI, gunfights that don't make sense, point a belt fed at a characters chest and have him come at you, venture off the linear story map and get malaria and die. I would have much preferred a FC 1 Mod, waste of $50.00, I wish I had read the reviews first.
  100. st@r$k!X
    Oct 28, 2008
    I've never been so disappointed, I hoped that if this game is developed by Ubisoft, it'll be great, but after I've played Assassin's Creed I just felt that something is wrong with Ubi and I was right. Ubi is making really boring games by now. You're still doing the same: for example: kill,kill,kill(quest given by the same person),destroy,destroy,destroy(the same) I've never been so disappointed, I hoped that if this game is developed by Ubisoft, it'll be great, but after I've played Assassin's Creed I just felt that something is wrong with Ubi and I was right. Ubi is making really boring games by now. You're still doing the same: for example: kill,kill,kill(quest given by the same person),destroy,destroy,destroy(the same) and if you come to another person the same thing happens again. I don't know what to think about those Ubi's 2 new games, but.. nothing good except graphics is there. I finished both games and I really know what I'm saying, I'm sad 'cos of it:( If I can compare it to anything, it's like you're still playing the same 5seconds long song over and over and over and over again...Kill me if you think it's not truth, but this is IMO the worst disappointment of the year. Expand

1. Combat is thrilling – each weapon packing a solid, vicious blast; movement suggesting heft and momentum. [Dec 2008, p.80]
  2. By adopting a laissez faire attitude to player discretion, Ubisoft has crafted a brilliant follow-up.
    More importantly, it has nowhere near as many bugs as something like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl," a title that bears many similarities. Add to the roughly 25 hour single-player campaign a remarkably easy-to-use map creation tool and a full multiplayer suite, and you've got one of the most complete overall gaming packages of the year, as well as one of the most ambitious.